DmC: Devil May Cry PC

6.7

1. Feb 3, 2013
    Since it was my first DMC (Aside of Bayonetta i was never into the Genre) it was fine. There where some neat ideas and the gameplay was fluid. Story was somewhat generic. If they had removed this chick from the story and put in a guy (or women) who teaches him to get over his "I'm a ponce cuz of my miserable childhood' thing, there could be some character development. But i guess we need aSince it was my first DMC (Aside of Bayonetta i was never into the Genre) it was fine. There where some neat ideas and the gameplay was fluid. Story was somewhat generic. If they had removed this chick from the story and put in a guy (or women) who teaches him to get over his "I'm a ponce cuz of my miserable childhood' thing, there could be some character development. But i guess we need a chick in every game cuz we secretly keep playing because we hope that we can see ber boobies in the end. Expand
  2. Apr 22, 2013
    Really enjoyed this one. I don't mind the new Dante, as I never really got into the older titles. This is so action packed and intense you will get lost in it for hours. This game is constantly throwing new skills, moves and weapons at you through the entire game until the very end so it always feels fresh. Play it.
  3. Jan 31, 2013
    However not only was DMC outsourced - Ninja Theory - the Director of the Devil May Cry Series is now with Platinum Games, has been since Bayonetta
    #####
    Dante's character in DMC had some throw backs to the original, however my taste - maybe because I am getting older - having the F word thrown around as much just wasn't a good characteristic, the original Dante never had to go that far.
  4. Dec 16, 2013
    A visual-treat, with above-average facial/character animations and good voice-acting. My first experience with DmC, and it was a fun one. It's a linear but imaginative brawler with a demon-limbo theme at times it feels truly epic, and others slightly repetitive and a bit clunky. I seem to remember this came out in January but I held off on buying it as I kind of suspected that it wasn'tA visual-treat, with above-average facial/character animations and good voice-acting. My first experience with DmC, and it was a fun one. It's a linear but imaginative brawler with a demon-limbo theme at times it feels truly epic, and others slightly repetitive and a bit clunky. I seem to remember this came out in January but I held off on buying it as I kind of suspected that it wasn't worth the then high asking price. It's no doubt a game I would recommend at a discounted price. If I were to complain about a few things then it would be, that some of the boss fights are massively grindy, also I think there are slightly too many combat moves and upgrades. The tunnel-like linearity of the game isn't too much of a problem, as the levels are well-designed and looks like plenty of effort went into them. The story twist at final "boss" is the biggest let down and feels just plain wrong. Anyone giving this game a 0 or a 10 is completely nuts. Currently the User Score is 6.5 and I'd say that's slightly low, but not far off the reality. Expand
  5. Feb 6, 2013
    Being a Bayonetta wannabe is not that bad if done properly, however, despite coming out three years after the mentioned title, it feels incomplete if compared to it. It is still a funny game though, but not sure if it's worth the money it costs.
  6. Apr 11, 2013
    A good game and nice graphics but the overall factor wasnt so nice... I was a bit disappointed. I expected interactive cut scenes and it would have made the game a lot better but anyways it provided a nice experience and the hack and slash was extreme..
  7. Feb 25, 2013
    The new Dante sucks, I know. But the bashing this game has received by fanboys is ridiculous. I'm not saying it's an amazing game, but after playing through it, even though I hated Dante I can't deny the fun I had, pulling off some cool combos and platforming through very well designed areas. The combat flows great and the soundtrack is spot on. The story, even though it's not veryThe new Dante sucks, I know. But the bashing this game has received by fanboys is ridiculous. I'm not saying it's an amazing game, but after playing through it, even though I hated Dante I can't deny the fun I had, pulling off some cool combos and platforming through very well designed areas. The combat flows great and the soundtrack is spot on. The story, even though it's not very interesting it was fine. The graphics and character animations were great and it really showed the amount of work it has been put into the game. I only wish they had done the same with the character developement, I only liked Lilith, Dante, Virgil and that little wiccan babe, whose name I can't remember now, were pretty uninteresting and thats pretty bad considering that those were the characters you were supposed to like and care for. The game also has some of the worst one liners I've ever heard in a video game (DANTE SUCKS lol), but the thing that made me go from an 8 to a 7 was the difficulty. I played it on Nephilim (Hard) and I pretty much destroyed everyone easily and that sucks when you're playing a series in which you're used to curse and want to puch people in the face every time you die (there used to be many of those times in ealrier DMC's). Despite the flaws, this is a very good game overall and it at least deserves a rental so you can playthrough it once. Expand
  8. Feb 4, 2013
    It's definitely DMC game play the level designs are fantastic, the story is paced very well and while not a top notch example of writing, it's still a decent story on par (or possibly better) than some of the stuff that passes for a summer action movie in recent years. My primary drawback was that this game was written for teenagers. It's like someone said "Let's show them some strippersIt's definitely DMC game play the level designs are fantastic, the story is paced very well and while not a top notch example of writing, it's still a decent story on par (or possibly better) than some of the stuff that passes for a summer action movie in recent years. My primary drawback was that this game was written for teenagers. It's like someone said "Let's show them some strippers and demons and angels while rehashing Dante's genesis with some super-human action thrown in the hack and slash mix to make them feel like they're doing something." If you can keep your opinion from hinging heavily on subject matter the presentation is great. I do have to say though who thought Dante's new look should be white-trash douche in an overcoat? Bad move totally cost this game a lot of cool points. Not that I prefer the original look, I just don't really think they did any better. Expand
  9. Jun 1, 2013
    A very enjoyable game.. It's a huge fun to play.. very addictive specially in your first gameplay.. and you would probably go for more then one walkthrough, specially with the new difficulties incentive.. the level-repeat system is great.. it actually makes repeating levels useful, since it keeps your new upgrades and the new stuff you achieved while repeating that level..

on the other

on the other hand, the gameplay, although very fun, is pretty much plain and shallow, you don't do anything special.. you don't think.. it's Just some random daemons that shows up for you to hack & slash, or button mash.. but i guess that's what a hack-&-slash video game is.

The story is stupid, it feels shallow and juvenile, as you'd expect from a daemons-plot.. The story feels like an uninteresting teens anime.. it takes the "governments control you" & "media owns you" theme, But Dante is so NOT v for vendetta.. He's a douchebag and doesn't feel like a fully developed character.. In the first 2010 debut trailer.. he seemed very interesting, He seemed like the stoned, sick, twisted-criminal-minded careless psycho sort of character.. Not the theatrical badass, More like natural careless evil guy.. But what they offered was totally different then the impression that trailer gave.. They offered an undeveloped semi-cool douchebag who loves to exhibit his ability to say you".. It felt like writers were depending on his charming smile rather than the character's dialog or persona.. Ya. it was kinda cool and memorable character.. but surely not the unique or interesting one..

But the really annoying character was Virgil.. Virgil felt like Hoyt in Far cry 3.. the final villain who doesn't fit to be the final villain.. The nonsensical character that feels it was just made evil to give you a final boss mission.. besides, the final scene "SPOILER" was dumb.. what do you mean by taking control of the world.. what they gonna do? hit a button? make another virility?

In the overall.. it's a great game. if you want to play a game that's very enjoyable.. very fun.. but with shallow story and writing, Then this is your choice.

P.S: I never played any DMC before. only played devil may cry 3 for like the first two hours and haven't really kicked in into the game.. So this review is not in compare to previous games.. it's based solely on what the new DMC offers.
  10. Jun 10, 2013
    Absolutely great game.
    I haven't played DmC since DmC3, and at first didn't like the look of this one, but I gave it a go nonetheless.
    Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed. The combat system is superb, the soundtrack is great (although won't be to everyone's taste), and the graphics and level design is top-notch, although slightly corridor. Unfortunately, the story let it down
    Absolutely great game.
    Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.
    Unfortunately, the story let it down slightly, as it was vague and there was no real "drive" behind Dante's actions, whereas the story in the older games was more detailed, but still a great game nonetheless.
    It was also somewhat short, leaving maybe enough replay value for a second (but unlikely a third) playthrough.

I'd recommend it, but maybe when it's nice and cheap.
  11. Jan 27, 2013
    Wow, I would like to ask about how many of these people scoring 0 on this game have actually completed it.

Ok, first of all, I've clreared all Devil May Cry games, on all difficulties. So I've done with this and damn it, its not that bad, seriously. You must think of this game as what its is, a "spin-off" from the original saga, and also you must think on it as developed by other

You must think of this game as what its is, a "spin-off" from the original saga, and also you must think on it as developed by other company.

When you get this clear, then you can objectively rate this game.

I have done so, and I can say that its a good game. Cool graphic style, nice gameplay (a lil' bit different from original ones) great music and sound effects. The plot is not as awesome as on DMC 1 and 3 but still large way better than 2.

I think Ninja Theory did a good job in fact, but not brilliant, that's why I give it 7 points.

Let's hope they get better with age and DMC 2 do honor to the saga it belongs.
  12. Feb 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't like the name. DMC Devil May Cry. What's the logic in that? I was thinking that it will ruin the game this new Dante change, but I think that it's pretty cool and it has some of the old Dante's magic. I like how the new Vergil looks but I would expect more from him. The old Vergil was way cooler plus that I loved the women from previous DMC's. It feels like all the female characters are on screen to flash boobs and asses. Oh wait...they are.

I like how the combat system did not change. Only the part where I have to press A x2 than STOP and than mash to infinite and beyond. What's up with that? Like we needed that in the other DMC's. The whole series are based on mash, mash, mash and face mash controller moves. Really now, do you guys really take time to memo combos? Well, I have to admit, I know one: RT+X than RT+Y and all over again, The skill process is kind of the same as in DMC4, no change here or there's no change that I can notice.
    I don't like the Boss fights. Really, I don't like it. It's to easy. I have time to roll, jump and go and recover. Nothing challenging about Boss fight's. I like how the set was done. From the carnival to the energy drink factory to the up-side-down tower and the club scene. They really look good and I love how they used the Unreal Engine to change the world around you. The story is pretty kind of the same-ish. Except for the new Dante, Vergil, Kat and the Deamon and that the world is ran by demons and Dante, Vergil and Kat are set to stop them BUT here come DMC2, Vergil is evil. He wants to run the world. Ohhhhh...why didn't you say so? Is this a prequel to DMC3? Because I would expect a new DMC to come out, called DMC Devil May Cry DMC(Stupid name) and go by the story: Vergil wants to take over the world and he want to expand he's power so he can kill Dante and he want's to open a new hell gate. I really don't know why people are so in love with this new game or why the hate it. It's kind of the old series. Yes, at the end Dante will have white hair all over again. I would not rate it with 0,not just because is stupid, but because it's not a 0 mark game. It's a good game with great graphics with great control, great acting, great fighting combo system but the story it's kind of the same. Nothing new really under the sun. My score for this game is 7.
  13. Feb 4, 2013
    I have tried DMC 3 and 4, and I have to say DMC 5 is my favorite. It is a big improvement for Capcom, a Japanese company, finally willing to hire non-Japaneses. The old DMC are too all two-dimensional and linear. The previous skill upgrade system is a hassle and I found the control a mess. This new one uses the Unreal engine, which makes it 3 dimensionally more acceptable, and theI have tried DMC 3 and 4, and I have to say DMC 5 is my favorite. It is a big improvement for Capcom, a Japanese company, finally willing to hire non-Japaneses. The old DMC are too all two-dimensional and linear. The previous skill upgrade system is a hassle and I found the control a mess. This new one uses the Unreal engine, which makes it 3 dimensionally more acceptable, and the mechanics is a bit better. (Still not quite up to the standards, if you ask me.) The heterogeneous nature of the production team improves the gameplay. Video game industry is evolving at an alarming rate. The Japanese style was great, 20 years ago, but since then many things have changed. It is nice to see finally Capcom is willing to compete on an international scale. This game style is similar to Darksider and Darksider is more mature in terms of mechanics and story. Expand
  14. Feb 11, 2013
    Nice fight game... Not classic DMC but modern, and much better in my opinion. Optimisation is great, on my Athlon x3 450 and GTX460 running at 80 FPS on very high You can relax at this game easily.
  15. Mar 11, 2013
    I have been a Devil May Cry fan for a long time so when I heard about this reboot I immediately went into "butthurt fanboy" mode for quite a few months. However, I have a policy of always trying out games before judging them, so I gave this one a chance too. I have to say the first cinematic really made me want to smash my head on the wall. After that, however, I was positively surprised.I have been a Devil May Cry fan for a long time so when I heard about this reboot I immediately went into "butthurt fanboy" mode for quite a few months. However, I have a policy of always trying out games before judging them, so I gave this one a chance too. I have to say the first cinematic really made me want to smash my head on the wall. After that, however, I was positively surprised. The gameplay, although easier, is brilliant and made me forget about the new characters and the arguably mediocre plot very quickly. The level design is gorgeous and Combichrist really made an awesome job on the aggressive soundtrack. The guitar in the combat themes will make you feel like a badass. There are two things (well, aside for Dante's behaviour in the beginning) that annoyed the crap out of me: the lack of a lock on feature (this NEEDS to be patched, especially if they're planning on releasing future DLCs) and the way they pictured Sparda. From invincible overpowered hero to...well...useless Also, I don't understand why they removed the taunting option. From a technical point of view I'd say the game is nearly perfect, with very few to no bugs (at least, that's my experience), amazing graphics and responsive controls. A quality porting...not something I'm used to, especially when it comes to this kind of games. Overall, although I initially hated to admit it, I had a lot of fun with this game. While playing it's clear as day that the developers put a lot of effort and hard work into it and that's not something you see very often nowadays so I take my hat off before NT's developers and artists, as well as Noisia and Combichrist. It's good to see some people still care about what they do. My rating would be 7/7.5 if we look at it as a Devil May Cry game but a solid 8.5 if we consider it as a normal hack'n slash. In any case, it's worth a try. P.S. Now I would like to see a game in the original Devil May Cry universe, Capcom...pretty please? lol Expand
  16. Jul 29, 2013
    This game had a lot of potential, however there a several reasons why this is not a 10. Without playing as Vergil this game seems incomplete to me. You need to purchase a lazy piece of DLC to do that.
    Also, the lack of skins for yourself and weapons is an issue, also because you need to buy them if you want any. Maybe I find this to be a huge problem because I am from a time where you unlocked such things through game play and not you wallet.
    The last part of the game seemed lazy, and the lack of a targeting system really pissed me off at times.
  17. Apr 10, 2013
    This game is not as hard the old DMC games, the story is different, and so are the characters. But this is still a damn fun game. If you are an older player of this series, chances are you will not like this game based on what you see. But I can guarantee you, buy it, and you will have fun. The combat, while easy, is fast-paced, energetic and fluid and is accompanied by a seriouslyThis game is not as hard the old DMC games, the story is different, and so are the characters. But this is still a damn fun game. If you are an older player of this series, chances are you will not like this game based on what you see. But I can guarantee you, buy it, and you will have fun. The combat, while easy, is fast-paced, energetic and fluid and is accompanied by a seriously kick-ass soundtrack. What I didn't like about this game is the ridiculously easy boss fights who telegraph their moves way before they do them, and overall the weak characters of Dante and Vergil. Somewhere about 3/4s these two do something so morbid and despicable, I cannot describe it. The story is also very cliche and feels like a copy/paste of the movie "They live". Dante also swears a ton and isn't amusing as he was in the previous games. But hey, it's a 7/10 for me generally because of how well combat is done, which is the central point of the series anyways. Trust me, you should buy this game if you are into DMC and spectacle fighters. Angry fanboys are just killing their own series because they refuse to buy this game. But all they do is miss out of a fun game, and possibly any future such games. Expand
  18. Apr 25, 2013
    If you have never played a DmC game before and you like beat em ups then this is a good game for you. Very playable with an easy to understand control system. The responsiveness of your character is great and helps to immerse you into the battles. The storyline, while short, is entertaining enough too. The graphics, while limited by console restrictions on the PC, are nicely done.
    That's
    That's the good stuff out of the way. Now for the bad...
    You will be doing puzzle after puzzle throughout this game and this can become mundane. Made even harder by the fact that you are required to memorize a large combination of buttons in order to pull some of the moves off required by the task you are doing. For the combat, it's not bad at all and gives you a real feel of power, but for the puzzles it just had me thinking; A game's difficulty should not be based on how hard it is to remember which button combination does what.
    The limitation to the graphics on the PC are restrictive. The PC version could have looked so much better than it did. Don' get me wrong, it still looks nice, but the potential was not taken advantage of.
    If you are looking for a game you can just pick up and play for 1 hour, and enjoy yourself then DmC is definitely worth a shot. PC Players be sure to use a gamepad or you will regret it!
  19. Apr 30, 2013
    Let me just straight to the point. As the new reboot of the DmC story, it sure has some interesting part, even though overall I think the story has yet to reach its max potential. Frankly, the integration of the weapons and the story is better than the previous DmC. It's a shame that I think that the only plus point of the game.

For the minus points, like I said that the story isn't

For the minus points, like I said that the story isn't quite that deep. Second, unlike previous DmC games, this fifth installments is rather easy and it has no challenge. They should at the very least add more puzzles to the game. The third one, Dante's design really different than the previous DmC, making it like it isn't a DmC game. And the fourth one, I am rather disappointed because I think DmC 4 has better graphic than this DmC.
  20. Apr 30, 2013
    DmC:Devil may Cry is easily one the best game and a refreshing one that come out of late. A HnS game that doesn't rely on QTE, actually let you chain combos with a nice variation of weapon, and actually having some enemies worthy of DMC name it bears. All of this of course only possible thanks to the unimaginative mind of most developers where the all the combat gameplay fall into shooterDmC:Devil may Cry is easily one the best game and a refreshing one that come out of late. A HnS game that doesn't rely on QTE, actually let you chain combos with a nice variation of weapon, and actually having some enemies worthy of DMC name it bears. All of this of course only possible thanks to the unimaginative mind of most developers where the all the combat gameplay fall into shooter genre plus minus some gimmicky mechanics. Not saying shooter is bad, but if 7 out 10 games that came out are shooter, something is wrong.

DmC's gameplay is clearly lacking when compared to the older DMC, No lock on, slow paced combat, slow and unintuitive enemies, poor boss fights.
    In DmC we just have to hope that Dante attacks the enemy we want to attack, the lack of hard lock on diminish the precision of attacks or combos we could have and even become more apparent in vergil's downfall.
    Now when i say slow paced combat, i of course mean compared to the old series, even DMC3 is a lot faster in combat. This varies greatly with how you play, but generally this is because of the slow demon weapons, even when you only use it scarcely, the animation for it is taking so much time that it abruptly slow you down from your previous combos.
    The normal enemies are telegraphing their moved decades before they actually attack, hence at the end of the day they are no more than punching bags waiting to be slaughtered and provide no challenge at all... Some of the harder enemy, dreamrunner and drekavac,are actually challenging, but their near perfect blocking limits people in what they could use in a combo and break the flow of a combo more often mundane than challenging. Then there are those color coded enemies, the worst of all, because obviously for the same reason, but now they limit you more and their basic AI design is so boring when compared to dreamrunners. DmC insists on adding layers of shields rather than making their AI better, faster and more responsive.
    The boss fights could be the worst part of the game, if not for vergil and barbas. All of the other bosses are just giant punching bag that doesn't even know how to fight back and I'm talking about DMD difficulty.Talk about la big let down.

But even after all that, DmC is surprisingly fun to play, since it was designed to give you that awesome feeling even though you didn't do anything out of the ordinary. The aerial combat is too easy too pull but it makes up for some awesome visual feats. Now the design to make the game forgiving is rather understandable since it was to pull in some new people to the devil may cry, but it was rather too easy.

DmC is lacking in front of DMC(combat gameplay wise) but it is a great game when judged on its own merit.
    All in all DmC is a solid game when it stands alone. I'm even somewhat sure that if DmC:Devil may Cry was to be given new title, it would sold more.
  21. Mar 18, 2014
    The game is beautiful and very good optimized, the stages have good design sometime to colorful. But the characters are week, disappointing for me bad reboot(not talking for Dante hairs), the jokes are not funny some bosses look annoying don't like all the weapons. Beautiful Hack and slash with poor characters and story.
  22. Mar 13, 2016
    It doesn't have the depth the previous ones had and personally, I found the story pretty lame. But in this genre the important thing is the gameplay, and I had a ton of fun playing it. That being said, the level design gets damn annoying the third time you play it.
  23. Sep 4, 2014
    Not the best Devil May Cry game by any means but definitely a good one. It had its flaws but still, it was fun. Nice soundtrack, ok gameplay (it could have been better), ok bosses (could have been better too) and ok levels and story as well. Dante was ok too although he was **** compared to the original. The previous games top this one easily but that doesn't make it a bad one. A decent, fun game.
  24. Jan 12, 2015
    I am a big fan of the DMC Series, and I was among the few that was actually impressed with how this DmC was. As I played the game I felt that the controls were very well laid out which made the combat in the game quite awesome. However, the downside to the game I found that on the hardest difficulty it wasn't very challenging and getting SSS class was too easy.

The story telling of this

The story telling of this DmC was exceptional, especially compared to the previous games in the series. I think that this is where DmC actually shines. (As well as the awesome sound track)

For people who love these 3D hack and slashers it is a must play game, in regards to people slating it simply because Dante doesn't look like the 'original' Dante, it is worth keeping an open mind and the punky style really works for him. So consider it stand alone, it is a great game so don't judge it on that.

I give it a 7 because it simply wasn't challenging enough.
  25. Jan 19, 2015
    I have to say,DmC isn't the worst reboot,but it definitely has it's fair share of mistakes . However,this doesn't take away the absolute awesome moments in the game,so lets do this quick!

FINAL VERDICT Modern setting- 2 Plot is actually the best out of all the other DmC's (DevilMayCry)- 3 Graphically beautiful- 1 In the beggining sequence of the game when the white emo wig perfectly

FINAL VERDICT
    Modern setting- 2
    Plot is actually the best out of all the other DmC's (DevilMayCry)- 3
    Graphically beautiful- 1
    In the beggining sequence of the game when the white emo wig perfectly lands on Dante's head (A complete **** you to the fans of the old Dante,IT WASN'T AN EASTER EGG!)- -1
    Dante's new look and a bit of shift in personality- -3

FINAL RESULT=7
  26. May 23, 2015
    this game is quite nice. The story is quite ok and the characters are also ok . The difficulty level is not bad but i find DMC3 and Dmc4 is far more challenging. The boss battles are nice. And the new redesign of Dante and Vergil is nice but i prefer the original design & personality of Capcom did. The ost is ok but i think Capcom has better OST maker. And *spoiler alert*this game is quite nice. The story is quite ok and the characters are also ok . The difficulty level is not bad but i find DMC3 and Dmc4 is far more challenging. The boss battles are nice. And the new redesign of Dante and Vergil is nice but i prefer the original design & personality of Capcom did. The ost is ok but i think Capcom has better OST maker. And *spoiler alert* ................................. i think DMC3 final mission is more difficult, challenging than this game final mission. For Dmc3 and DMC4, player can choose 4 style+. This game has no style selection. And 1 more con is no taunt . Expand
  27. May 30, 2016
    A lot of action packed fights combined with lots of acrobatic actions!!

There are a lot of different types of enemies, that you have to fight in different ways, but it still can get a bit repetitive....

The storyline was ok, at least, now I understand more about the origins of Devil May Cry.
  28. Jul 19, 2014
    Ok look. Some may find the reboot ok. others find it horrible, I as many wasn't happy with the redesign, but when i played the game i though "Eh not that bad". However there is a Major flaw in the design that at the time may seem minimal, but inevitably will hurt the game. The design is not timeless like the original. By shifting the whole absurdity and giving it a serious almost Emo/punkOk look. Some may find the reboot ok. others find it horrible, I as many wasn't happy with the redesign, but when i played the game i though "Eh not that bad". However there is a Major flaw in the design that at the time may seem minimal, but inevitably will hurt the game. The design is not timeless like the original. By shifting the whole absurdity and giving it a serious almost Emo/punk tone it will become dated quickly. even now i look at the game and find it hasn't aged well already. The new Dante has no staying power or ability to keep you interested in him more then i would in a snail. Maybe it will get a new game or 2 or retcon into a more classical route and properly evolve the story, but if not i will see this franchise get rebooted again quite soon. Expand
  29. Jan 26, 2013
    The art syle of in-game levels is superb but the overall graphics quality is very low: even if you enable HD textures and HD antialias the game looks awful, the environments are bare and the massive use of cool demonic graphics effects is not enough to hide poor textures detail and sharp objects. Colours look watered-down and faded, that's a shame because Capcom games always looked veryThe art syle of in-game levels is superb but the overall graphics quality is very low: even if you enable HD textures and HD antialias the game looks awful, the environments are bare and the massive use of cool demonic graphics effects is not enough to hide poor textures detail and sharp objects. Colours look watered-down and faded, that's a shame because Capcom games always looked very good, take the Street Fighter IV and sequels series or the Dead Rising series...even the Resident Evil 5 and sequels series had more brilliant colours and better textures. What is worst, the game makes no use of environmental mapping and landscapes, backgrounds, locations all look blurry and confused (some objects look pixelized! That's a shame for today games!). If it wasn't that we are in 2013, I would have thought that this was a 2007 game visually talking, as it's very disappointing.

DmC: Devil May Cry is a pleasant game, very action oriented, fast and paced. There is variety of enemies, different weapons, very good combo choice and character advancement during the game. But the gameplay becomes boring and repetitive very soon and the thing you keep doing is pressing attack buttons, and so on...again and again. The story is featureless and banal, you have been hearing of that stuff lots of times before...nothing new about that, the eternal conflict between angels and demons.

As for music and sounds, the game is pretty good and voice acting is immersive and believable. Controls are generally good, but when you come to combos some issues arise because e.g. pressing Q+RM or Q+F+space and so on is not always responsive and smooth, and this will often oblige you to restart from the last platform again and again... Longevity? I have finished the game is 9+1/2 hours. To sum it up, DmC: Devil May Cry could have been a very good game if it had featured a less repetitive gameplay and a more attention to controls smoothness and graphics quality for PC gamers.
  30. Mar 1, 2013
    Most people seem to agree that ninja theory didn't completely ruin the DMC formula. I agree. However, after about the three hour mark, you've experienced all aspects of the combat and the only further revelations appear in the form enemy palette swaps, and some original boss fights. Overall, the combat system seems less creative and more pattern based. (I'm mostly referring to the far tooMost people seem to agree that ninja theory didn't completely ruin the DMC formula. I agree. However, after about the three hour mark, you've experienced all aspects of the combat and the only further revelations appear in the form enemy palette swaps, and some original boss fights. Overall, the combat system seems less creative and more pattern based. (I'm mostly referring to the far too frequent double sword enemies that warp in and out) The visuals vary from mind-boggling beautiful to washed out, tacky, early unreal engine awfulness, the biggest culprit being the deplorable cutscenes. After what ninja theory was able to accomplish in enslaved and heavenly sword, I had to shake my head at some of the writing and delivery. I would have preferred the style of the still art they used on occasion with some sparse animation in some of the exposition scenes. Oh, and P.S., the camera will your up in a few scenes. Good effort, let's regroup on this one and come back with a vengeance. Expand
  31. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    It’s an awesome game, despite its flaws. Whether you like the young Dante or not, is purely a matter of personal taste. But that’s not an excuse to ignore this gem. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    DMC: Devil May Cry sublimates the best of the genre and conquest PC user with a fast-paced and eye-catching title, made of pure action.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Graphical flaws and overly linear gameplay aside, DmC is a solid first installment in the relaunched franchise.