8.1

1. Oct 26, 2010
    I bought Dogfighter from Steam when is was released in June, since then I've played it numerous times online as I do prefer multiplayer. Singleplayer is available but I find MP a lot more fun.

It's a bright colourful game that is a lot of fun to play with a few friends or you can join a game with other players in one of the dedicated servers, various game modes are available to choose from, capture the flag, team deathmatch, lonewolf, etc.

There are great maps to play on and some of those maps really will test your skill as a pilot if you're being chased by another fighter, if you prefer closer combat then you have tunnel areas that really do put your flying skills to the test, combine those close combat tunnels with a fast aircraft and it's a challenge to follow another fighter into these tunnels but so rewarding if you can take the kill :)

The aircraft (numerous to choose from) handle smoothly and are quick and responsive when you need it the most. Keyboard and mouse/joystick/gamepad work fine so it's up to you which you decide to use.

Nice clean menus and leaderboards too if you want to see how you're doing against other pilots that play or just challenge your friends to a game and brag about your flying skills and you'll have stats to prove it.

A recent patch 'Call to Arms' was released and this included various tweaks to the game, a new map and a new aircraft (The Mongoose). I've flown this a few times and it is very quick in a dive but sometimes you'll need that speed to get out of trouble quickly especially if you have someone on your tail.

The new map is great to fly on and a pier you can fly under if need be to get away from another fighter, failing that you can try going high but you do become more of a target to the other fighters so deciding what tactic to use and when is important.

If you are being chased you do have defensive weapons too, laying mines in certain spots can be beneficial but you also have rear rockets so any chasing fighter has to be careful how close they get to you, their are other numerous defensive weapons but you'll have to buy the game to find out what they are :P

What's the support for the game like? First class in my opinion!!

The devs are on the Steam forums daily asking for the communities suggestions for things we'd like to see in the game, some of those suggestions have already been included in the game, joystick support is one such thing but they also ask about any new game modes we'd like or ideas for new maps so the community provides a lot of feedback for the devs so they can take that information and bring into the game, the devs also give the community feedback about any new patches that might be released and what those patches include, as they did with the recent patch containing the new aircraft and new map. We had sneaky peeks of the map and aircraft and several posts by the devs informing us how the patch was progressing.

I can't really criticise this game, it's got dedicated servers, a good choice of maps and aircraft to choose from, a new tutorial mode (included in the latest patch), it runs well, loads quickly, has good support from the devs and it's fun to play.

The game is currently on a special deal on Steam, it costs a whopping £1.05 (yes you did read that correctly) it's cheaper than a loaf of bread here in the UK, awesome!!

I think we're going to see a lot more additions to this game, new game modes (which the devs have already asked about), new aircraft and new maps.

I'm looking forward to see what more it has to offer, I'll see you in the air, preferably in my sights :P
  2. Oct 30, 2010
    Dark Water Studios' DogFighter is an instant classic. Its a 3rd person, aerial-combat / arcade stroke of genius. It marries all the tried and tested gameplay elements from Mario Kart, Carmageddon and Quake and adds a entire new dimension to the mix. Game modes include MP DM, TDM, CTF, Lone Wolf and more. SP modes include all those but also Survivor (think Horde) and Campaign.
    Frequent
    Frequent updates and content packs and very helpful support forums, this game is just a breath of fresh-air. Full integration with STEAM, so Leaderboards, Stats, and Achievements are all there.
    Joystick, Joypad, 360 controller all supported and working, but I'll stick with keyboard+mouse+ WASD.
    All the action of MW2-like FPS games but with more speed, thrills, stunts, and frantic action.

Steam store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/42500/
  3. Nov 3, 2010
    DogFighter is an arcade-style action flying game where you have to shoot others in arena-like levels. If you know old-school shooters like Quake 3 or Doom, just think about them with airplanes you know what I mean. If that sounds like something you might like, there is a demo available via Valve's Steam (the only source where you can get the game at the time this review is being written).DogFighter is an arcade-style action flying game where you have to shoot others in arena-like levels. If you know old-school shooters like Quake 3 or Doom, just think about them with airplanes you know what I mean. If that sounds like something you might like, there is a demo available via Valve's Steam (the only source where you can get the game at the time this review is being written).

The graphics look very nice, yet the game will run also on quite old machines. Sound effects are ok, if a bit sparse. Music is awesome, very fitting rock music sound track. There are several game modes that should keep you interested for quite some time, both single and multiplayer. The biggest advantage of this game is its developer though. DarkWater is their name and in the official forums for the game they are known to answer to every single thread. They are inclined to implement whatever the community requests and are very helpful with support. If there is something in the game you don't like, chances are if you simply tell the devs, they might change/implement it. Even for a small indie company this is rare!

All in all, if you enjoy fast paced (but not nervous) flying action with lots of other players, different weapons and good support, try the demo or pick it up at Steam. It is a game perfectly suited for some in-between session and quick games with friends.
  4. Nov 8, 2010
    If you have been looking at the game and are trying to decide whether or not to pick it up I would say do it with out another hesitation. The game is Fantastic! It looks very nice while having great solid controls. I have read alot of complaints from people and after playing it for a few hours I cant see what more you could be asking for. Its also well balanced. Its exactly what you couldIf you have been looking at the game and are trying to decide whether or not to pick it up I would say do it with out another hesitation. The game is Fantastic! It looks very nice while having great solid controls. I have read alot of complaints from people and after playing it for a few hours I cant see what more you could be asking for. Its also well balanced. Its exactly what you could want from this style of game its fast paced and and sucks you in from the moment you get behind your first plane! I played it with the 360 controller and from the getgo had no problems what so ever. It would be nicer if you could navigate the menus like they were buttons and not like the controller is a mouse. When I first installed I had the physX issue and followed the fix and boom was up and running after less than 3 min. Plus after seeing actual developers in the forum helping to fix things was almost shocking. I cant tell you the number of games that I have purchased that failed due to things like lack of controller support and bugs that have simple fixes but they don't help the end user to get it working once they have their money. This game is not only extremely fun and addictive but is being handled by people that actually seem to care if the people playing it are enjoying it. Kinda rare today. You guys should keep up the great work!! Expand
  5. Nov 9, 2010
    Simplistic, fast, and easy to pick up. The graphic are gorgeous. Fresh from those "me too" FPS multiplayer game.Stories? Who need em?

Need some polishing, but the developer listen to the players from the steam forum.
  6. Nov 10, 2010
    I bought this game while it was on sale, and it's the best $1.50 I've ever spent. In my opinion it is well worth the regular $10 price. Dogfighter is easy to get the hang of, the maps are beautiful, the controls are set up pretty well in their default configuration(I use a 360 controller.) On top of all that the guys at DarkWater are very active in the Steam forum, fixing bugs people findI bought this game while it was on sale, and it's the best $1.50 I've ever spent. In my opinion it is well worth the regular $10 price. Dogfighter is easy to get the hang of, the maps are beautiful, the controls are set up pretty well in their default configuration(I use a 360 controller.) On top of all that the guys at DarkWater are very active in the Steam forum, fixing bugs people find and post about and taking a lot of the suggestions into consideration. I can see this game going very far, multiplayer is a blast and the single player tournament is a really good time killer. Expand
  7. Nov 11, 2010
    Dogfighter is, as the saying goes, what it says on the tin. Grab an antique looking (but not performing!) airplane, then launch immediately into aircombat with other players online or AI. Darkwater takes great pains to explain that this isn't a simulator, so check all thought of realism at the door. On the other hand, that means your planes can zip down mineshafts while executingDogfighter is, as the saying goes, what it says on the tin. Grab an antique looking (but not performing!) airplane, then launch immediately into aircombat with other players online or AI. Darkwater takes great pains to explain that this isn't a simulator, so check all thought of realism at the door. On the other hand, that means your planes can zip down mineshafts while executing ridiculously hairpin turns, all while using weaponry that would make the modern US airforce green with envy. Seriously, you haven't lived until your WW2 ish looking plane turns on afterburner, fires up an invisibility cloak, then takes out a Red Baron style triplane with a shotgun (yes, shotgun).

Downside? there's almost no depth to this. Okay, no depth at all. No narrative, no campaign, just a pack of Steam achievements. But that's not really the point. This is a game for that 15 minute break in the middle of the work day when you really, really really need to blow something up fast. Admittedly, sometimes said break can stretch to an hour. Or so. You've been warned.
  8. Nov 13, 2010
    Dogfighter is what you get when you combine arcade flying from Crimson Skies or Freelancer & Power up weapons from Mario Kart, It's Carmageddon in the air. The controls take a little while to get used to, since the preferred method is Mouse & Keyboard, but once you get the hang of it, it's pure fun afterwards.

There's really no single player, aside from bot filled game mods, but it's not

There's really no single player, aside from bot filled game mods, but it's not really an issue; From the get go you know this is a Multiplayer game, meant to be played blasting other human beings from the sky. It's a one trick pony of sorts, but that trick is so good it keeps you coming back.
    Also, it helps that the developers are still actively creating new content.. maps, planes, game modes you name it.

All in all it's very much worth the price. If you're on the fence about buying it, they should have the demo back out soon. It also goes on sale every now and then, so keep it in your wish lists if you can wait that long. I couldn't. :)
  9. Nov 18, 2010
    This game was great fun, especially for it's price... a few weekends ago I got 4 for about £3.50. There is also game pad support, at very least for Xbox360 Controllers.
  10. Nov 24, 2010
    I've first heard about this game when it went on a sale during October. Couldn't resist the lure to not try it I gave it a go and didn't end up disappointed. The game is well supported by the devs, gets regular updates, has many game modes (from your casual ctf/dm to tournament/lone wolf and more). There are plenty planes to choose from, many maps to play and for those who loveI've first heard about this game when it went on a sale during October. Couldn't resist the lure to not try it I gave it a go and didn't end up disappointed. The game is well supported by the devs, gets regular updates, has many game modes (from your casual ctf/dm to tournament/lone wolf and more). There are plenty planes to choose from, many maps to play and for those who love achievements there are quite a few (with some really challenging ones). So if you like air fighter simulators it is a must have! You won't walk away dissatisfied! Expand
  11. Dec 3, 2010
    This game has so much potential for a decent deathmatch game (which in itself isn't too attractive) but it's plagued with little bugs and iffy physics. The graphics and UI is nice and flashy, if not a bit rough on the edges, and the gameplay is arcady and quick, but I had some issues: My boost meter glitched out, I flipped my plane upside down and there was no roll keys to right it, IThis game has so much potential for a decent deathmatch game (which in itself isn't too attractive) but it's plagued with little bugs and iffy physics. The graphics and UI is nice and flashy, if not a bit rough on the edges, and the gameplay is arcady and quick, but I had some issues: My boost meter glitched out, I flipped my plane upside down and there was no roll keys to right it, I finished a level and it gave me gold, then took it away afterwards without explanation. I played it for a total of 10 minutes, declared it broken, and left it. I'm sure there's fun to be found, but there's easier less frustrating ways to amuse yourself. Expand
  12. Feb 22, 2011
    GAMEPLAY:
    Dogfighter is a great multiplayer game. The controls take awhile to get used to, but the gameplay is fun. The airplane fights get pretty crazy, and it's usually not hard to find a server.
    GRAPHICS: Nothin much here. Graphics are alright, maybe a little old. However, they don't take away from the gameplay, as you might be wondering. SOUND: Again, nothin much here.
    GAMEPLAY:

GRAPHICS:

SOUND:
    Again, nothin much here. The sounds are very generic, but accurate.

OVERALL:
    A fun multiplayer game that's worth buying.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. May 31, 2011
    The lack of a single-player campaign aside, the game is strong evidence that independent developers take more risks than the big boys. It's a daredevil act to put out a game in a genre that's long out of fashion and it's even more impressive that Dark Water Studios made the game so well-balanced and fun. It's a steal at $10 and a great throwback to the glory days of flight and fighting.
  2. May 15, 2011
    It's a game for fast and funny multiplayer action, if you find players. Aside that, there's no campaign, no pretty effects, no sense of flying.