8.0

1. Sep 12, 2013
    This 0/10 is for putting this game up for sale on stem for 19 euro 8 years after its original release.
    Price aside this game deserves to be a 4/10 in 2013. Graphics and sound would have been good 20 years ago. Strategic gameplay is maybe the deepest of any computer game ever made, but/and also entirely unbalanced, unforgiving and uncompromisingly hard. This is to say, you need to know exactly what you're doing at every point in the game or you'll just suddenly die (no matter how well you seem to be doing) and have to start over (or find another game if doing multiplayer). There is no save. While this caters to the target audience perfectly (this game is 10/10 if spending about a year full-time, studying its every little nuance, appeals to you), but makes it a less than good game objectively.
    The fantasy themes are very well presented, and the best part of the game is how it lets to create The Lion or The Witch of Narnia, or Gandalf or Sauron, or a DnD Lich-King, or a Titan of the Greek Mythologies or just about any classic powerful being as a pretender to godhood. No other game on any media have been able to mix a fraction of the themes or come as close to portraying them as well as Illwinter. They also deserve kudos for being Indie before the concept was concieved. I wish Illwinter good luck with the upcoming Dominions 4, but if you're curios about this game you should find another way of procuring it other than buying it. Illwinter does not deserve your money, demanding what is full-price for a brand new top-notch indie game for an 8-year old indie w 20y-old graphics w an extremely narrow target audience.
  2. Oct 21, 2014
    I picked up Dominion 3 about 24 hours ago and have onomnomed it since (yes, straight. I do that.). I saw the recommendation for 4 on my Steam but kinda baulked at the price considering the PD style of art (#3 still put me back a fair bit). I'm struggling to see what other people see in it. Its not really that different from Centurion Defender of Rome back which was released back in theI picked up Dominion 3 about 24 hours ago and have onomnomed it since (yes, straight. I do that.). I saw the recommendation for 4 on my Steam but kinda baulked at the price considering the PD style of art (#3 still put me back a fair bit). I'm struggling to see what other people see in it. Its not really that different from Centurion Defender of Rome back which was released back in the 1990's. The sound and the gfx are on par, if not worse and its the same principle: give vague instructions to an AI and watch it totally screw it up when the fight happens (I just rage quitted from the last chance I gave that game).
    It's an interesting concept and the implementation in Dominations is reasonably complex (lots of spell and potential unit combos, like TONS) however the instruction is almost as limited as it was back in Centurion. You can just about instruct your hero to do a couple of things in sequence. In the game I just quit from my sequence was: long range fire spell *2 => fly into their ranged troops and kill them with your fire AOE. Worked out fine for a few fights but then my hero appeared in the middle of my own troops burning them all to death. Why are the spells and the tech paths complex but the tactics, the actual part that is the core of the game so incredibly simple?
    Attack/Hold and Attack/Retreat/ etc. You can then specify if you want to attack a particular type of unit or maybe just the one at the back, however you can't elegantly sweep your army from right to left nor pull of a sweet pincer movement (which you could in Centurion). Considering this game sells itself on the principle that it has complex combat, considering the fact it sacrifices the gfx, the sound, EVERYTHING for it I'm disappointed that the tactics are so incredibly bare. The spells and abilities are just fluff. So all we have is a lot of fluff. The fluff is cool. I just wish I could program the commands for them where I'm not terrified everytime I look at a fight result to see if my hero died because he didn't understand them.

Forget the "civ like" stuff, that part isn't fun either. It suffers from "ring around the rosie" syndrome where if one troop sneaks past your defense you'll be stuck chasing it for a good twelve turns before you can corner it while it burns down all your temples. So you're left desperately trying to block off the landscape to avoid this which then just leads to a sort of dull stalemate.
    There are limited strategic decisions to make outside of your magic and god build. I could maybe tolerate half of these problems if it wasn't for the user interface from hell. I'm sitting here getting RSI from having to constantly click on units to purchase them individually. The interface is directly from the early 90's, its awful, there is _no_ excuse for this. Don't try to bribe the mercenaries in this game too highly or you'll lose your mind (its an arrow, that increments by one that you have to click for each increment), especially when you then accidentally hit "reset" because your brain assumes its "done" because "reset" happens to be exactly where the "done" button should be ("done" is exit).
    I just can't believe that this is the third iteration of the game. I found out recently the first iteration was about ten years ago. What exactly have they been doing in the past ten years aside from travelling back twenty years to take game design lessons from people in the nineties?!? The premise of this game is incredibly entertaining but this implementation is just **** This is genuinely their third go? The opening screen teases you with a 3d landscape that they can't be bothered to port onto the map screen.

When I was a kid in the old smoke filled arcades I once saw an older gent try to play the game "time traveller". It was this really bad game that was sold on a hologram gimmick. I watched him struggle with the controls as a "baddie" shot him in the back in each one of his lives and he pathetically shot in the wrong direction. The old western style gent that narrated the game offers the same advice each time: "remember, turn before you shoot!". The third time this happened was too much, he shouted back at the screen: "I AM F**KING TURNING". He then looked at me and my brother and said: "Kids, don't play this game its SH*T". Today, I get to pass this advice on to you. Don't buy this game.

1. For those TBS fans out there this will most likely be one of the best games out there. Though it carries a hefty MSRP of about 50 bucks, It is very unlikely that any game will be exactly the same. There is just too much content for that.
  2. Too garage for its own good. [Christmas 2006, p.80]
  3. But if you're willing to look, there are very few games that show you as much as you'll see here--a nearly infinite variety of rising gods and dying empires and a fat man with a magic belt--and no games that do it with focus, depth, and extraordinary economy of Dominions 3. [Jan. 2007, p.60]