8.4

1. May 1, 2013
    Great game, I followed it since it first appeared on Steam, and loved all the updates it got. It was like Minecraft experience all over again. I love when I can see all the new things being added And now after the release it's not over yet The devs will still keep new updates coming!
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    I play Don't Starve since first days it appeared on Steam, so I can surely say it's a really, really great game. It offers ultimate survival challenge and basically is just mind-blowing. Monsters, created by your morbid imagination, pigmen working for food, traditional Grue, cranky Scottish noble walrus who hunts you at winter, terrifying Deerclop...
    It's pretty hard and you need to spend
    It's pretty hard and you need to spend some time reading Wiki to understand what actually happening but it's absolutely worth it. Also, this game inherits one of the main principles of roguelikes: losing is really fun, so you will rather laugh at ridiculousness of your death than get frustrated.
    DS is highly customizable, so if you find it too hard you can always increase amount of food, resources etc.
    So, let's make a conclusion: this game has great gameplay, brilliant artstyle and atmosphere, offers real challenge, but is relaxing and welcoming to novice at the same time. Must have.
  3. Apr 23, 2013
    tl;dr Buy this game.

This game is really great and loads of fun. It has a unique art style and developers who really care about the quality of the game, and who are actively involved in the fairly large community that has appeared since the game went into beta last year. The game also has mods that can be found on the forums, and a lot of the game files are in plain-text Lua scripts
    tl;dr Buy this game.

The game also has mods that can be found on the forums, and a lot of the game files are in plain-text Lua scripts so if there's something in the game that turns you off you can probably change it. But don't do stuff like "I can now craft a Nightmare Sword with a twig" or "rabbits no longer run from me" or you'll get bored from the easiness.

The gameplay is pretty addictive, and if you like Terraria or Minecraft you should feel right at home in this game. Not too say it's similar to those two games: it's worlds apart. And about worlds, you can customize your randomly-generated world in Don't Starve to make it easier (or harder). Can't find enough food in the early game? Add more berries and carrots. Hounds just too much for you? You can get rid of them. Being able to customize your world is, in my opinion, a really bright idea.
  4. Apr 30, 2013
    Don't starve was a game that I was constantly looking at on steam, and finally decided to give it a go. I was a bit apprehensive but have not looked back. It has such a fun, addictive gameplay that it never seems to get old. Unlocking new characters, exploring new areas, and discovering new ways to die! Great graphics, great concept, and with extra content being released for 6 months afterDon't starve was a game that I was constantly looking at on steam, and finally decided to give it a go. I was a bit apprehensive but have not looked back. It has such a fun, addictive gameplay that it never seems to get old. Unlocking new characters, exploring new areas, and discovering new ways to die! Great graphics, great concept, and with extra content being released for 6 months after launch it will continue to be replayable. It will a game that will be easy to come back to in a years time and still have fun with it. Expand
  5. Apr 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Minor Spoilers]Don't Stave is an excellent game. The best game I've played in quite some time. If you go into the game expecting an easy casual game experience you will be shell-shocked. Don't starve is harsh and unforgiving and you can die quickly. Which is a great thing for a survival game, in my opinion.

Your first character is a scientist named Wilson, but you can unlock other characters, each with a signature perk. You are throw into a world knowing little and with nothing. You must forage, hunt, farm, fish, and trap your food. As you explore you'll encounter a number of different enemies and you'll have periodic raids on you camp by hounds. The raiding hounds increase in strength as time goes on. Additionally, you'll encounter various boss type enemies.

I said you start knowing little. You can and must research various things to survive in this hostile world. You have to gather resources to research various items, which will require you to push your exploration far from your base. And there are some interesting things to research. Some more "magic" in nature (though "magic" plays mostly a minor role, don't expect to be a "wizard" in the game.

Great graphic style, great game play, and great re-playability. A 10 in my book.
  6. Apr 23, 2013
    This is one fantastic game. This is very well set apart from other survival games such as Minecraft and the like, as it is one that allows you to learn lessons after death easier, as instead of adjusting the difficulty to peaceful, you have to restart all over again. This also has a far better adventure mode on it. There is also a far better sense of achievement to this game, as this gameThis is one fantastic game. This is very well set apart from other survival games such as Minecraft and the like, as it is one that allows you to learn lessons after death easier, as instead of adjusting the difficulty to peaceful, you have to restart all over again. This also has a far better adventure mode on it. There is also a far better sense of achievement to this game, as this game is far harder than other creative building games. All in all, I could give you millions more reasons to buy don't starve, but it's undeniably a solid 10/10. Expand
  7. Apr 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. “Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic. You play as Wilson, a Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment to its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home. Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play your way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land.”

It was a normal day, I logged onto steam to do my daily dose of gaming as I noticed a window pop open that said “Don’t Starve Coming soon”. As the name intrigued me I clicked it to take a look at what this could be, another game similar to Minecraft maybe? The trailer revealed to me that it had similar concepts to Minecraft as the main point was to survive but this looked a little more intense and more hard-core. This got my attention fast and I purchased it as soon as I could and got access to the Beta as the game was not fully released yet. Magnificent.

When you spawn into the game you straight away get shown the very neat looks of a similar style to a lot of Tim Burton Films which fit this game perfectly as it has a very sinister atmosphere to the game especially at night. The main idea of the game is great and has a lot of potential and can keep you needing to play it for a few days but I do feel it lacks on the entertainment side of things. I say this because the amount that you play it will depend on the type of player that you are, if you rely on the game to give you constant action and fun it will not do that for you. This is because you will need to learn what kills you and then when you replay after you die it is just preventing the way you died before which in the end boils down to preparing for winter by stockpiling food over and over until you fail at something. Although I say this I am the type of player that loves this and plays most games for the whole stockpile element to them, which Don’t Starve is perfect for giving this to me. Even if this doesn't interest you for the same reason as me it will still defiantly keep you occupied for days and be 100% worth the money as it is only £11.99.

Don’t starves ‘Dark side’ shows when you get to night for the first time and instantly die when you don’t make a fire, which shows you straight away that it’s going to need research or trial and error to survive in don’t starve. As well as the threat of needing a fire as night falls you also need to take care of your sanity, keep well fed and also stay away from terrifying wolves and unusual eye creatures. When you first find out any of this stuff it is a thrill and keeps you intrigued to find out what happens if you defeat what killed you. “What could get me next time?” Don’t starve reveals some of its sinister side when your sanity lowers and you start seeing creatures and figures that render you speechless the first time you see them, even creepy hands that lower the flame in your fire at night.

Overall I would say that Don’t starve is well worth the amount that you pay for if not more. It is the ultimate survival experience and brings loads of fun along with its unique art style and sinister game play. Don’t Starve is undeniably a solid 10/10.
  8. Apr 29, 2013
    It really is a shame that this one idiot reviewer on hardcoregamer knocked the score down so far on this game and couldn't even spell the main character's name right or decided for some reason not to review half the game and just complain about sandbox mode.

That being said, the people that are calling it repetitive or grind like probably didn't play this game's adventure mode (which is very challenging and often nerve wrecking) and stayed in sandbox. Sandbox mode is only to really get you adequate with the game's mechanics and such but after you get use to that and things become less dire, adventure mode is where you go for a challenge.

It is a good game and definitively worth the price tag. While it does have some cosmetic things in it it's mainly about survival. i've spent 120 hours on it so i've definitively got my monies worth. also you can adjust the difficulty in sandbox mode to make it even more challenging for yourself~
  9. Apr 23, 2013
    Great game for the price. Just kinda thrusts you into the world with no explanation on what to do; no hand holding, no instruction, just survival. You really learn through your first couple times, what it takes to survive and each subsequent time you learn from your mistakes, (not building any winter clothing that first winter, getting and attacking a tier 3 spider nest). For people thatGreat game for the price. Just kinda thrusts you into the world with no explanation on what to do; no hand holding, no instruction, just survival. You really learn through your first couple times, what it takes to survive and each subsequent time you learn from your mistakes, (not building any winter clothing that first winter, getting and attacking a tier 3 spider nest). For people that are new to survival games, or hadn't played one in what seems like forever, this is a good place to start. The unique visuals to the game are another strong point, with all the different characters, tools, monsters and world. Each character has their strong suit (like Wilson, who can grow a beard which acts as protection in winter or Wolfgang who hits like a tank). Overall, it's a game worth exploring and getting better at. It gives me great motivation when I've seen screenshots of people at day 500...and just getting through a week is pretty challenging. Expand
  10. May 24, 2013
    Definitely a great game with a fantastic art style and soundtrack. It's like Minecraft mixed with Terraria with some Tim Burton added in. I can't wait for the future updates. It doesn't seem to get old and is very original in term of gameplay and survival games. Really an amazing deal for its $15 price.
  11. Apr 26, 2013
    This is a very good rogue-like game. Each game starts off on a randomly generated map with differing resource allocations, so each game is a chance to start fresh and develop new survival strategies for each play. The different playable characters each add something fresh with a unique perk and dialogue. Almost every time I have died it was due to a combination of a couple of mistakes IThis is a very good rogue-like game. Each game starts off on a randomly generated map with differing resource allocations, so each game is a chance to start fresh and develop new survival strategies for each play. The different playable characters each add something fresh with a unique perk and dialogue. Almost every time I have died it was due to a combination of a couple of mistakes I have made, and each death is a learning experience. It takes a bit of thought to manage your health, hunger, sanity, and in the winter, freezing meters (although the freezing meter is not shown). As someone who bought into the beta I have put over 60 hours into this game already, and I feel it is a really good way to spend 12-15 dollars, especially if you enjoy rogue-like games, and are open to the idea that you will by dying and restarting from scratch fairly often. Expand
  12. Apr 23, 2013
    Don't Starve is a ultimate survival game, which allows you to play by many ways. Such things like randomized world, awesome craft and different characters gives you an unique adventure every time you push the start button.

Two other things that I like about game is a unique visual style and an regular updates. You can also offer a new ideas on the forum. What else can I say? Simply

What else can I say? Simply must have. One of the best indie game I ever played, and absolutely the best survival game for me.
  13. Apr 27, 2013
    I played this game non stop today and can't seem to stop playing it. Great atmosphere and unique art style Yes, it can get pretty repetitive at times but I absolutely enjoy every moment of it. This game has a lot to offer with different tools and creatures you face in your never ending quest to survive.
  14. Apr 24, 2013
    Been looking forward to this game and it does deliver!

Love the way u hav to figure everything out yourself... the feeling of discovery is really THERE!

great art style and great sound...

overall... real good fun...

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE AND DONT STARVE...DYING IS FUN...
  15. Apr 25, 2013
    I created a Metacritic account just to give this game a good review. I bought this game at half price on a whim back when the beta started and have very much enjoyed the experience. As others have said, even though the game inevitably becomes a bit dull (as all games do), the "hours of entertainment per dollar" value can't be beat and the great artwork is worth the price of admissionI created a Metacritic account just to give this game a good review. I bought this game at half price on a whim back when the beta started and have very much enjoyed the experience. As others have said, even though the game inevitably becomes a bit dull (as all games do), the "hours of entertainment per dollar" value can't be beat and the great artwork is worth the price of admission alone.

The game is a point-and-click, top-down-view "survival" title, where you are dropped into an enchanted forest world that hates you and wants you to die. The world is randomly generated based on parameters you select (think Age of Empires) and changes with every new game. You must explore, gather raw materials, and fight critters in order to manage hunger, health and "sanity" levels. As the days go on, you construct equipment and establish base structures of increasing complexity, which are all needed to take on the increasingly difficult monsters and environmental challenges the game throws at you. Death is permanent and makes you plan your actions very carefully, yet there is a useful late-game mechanic that lets you make an effigy of yourself out of meat, wood, and hair (not making that up) that will revive you after a particularly unlucky encounter with a sinister Eyeclops or blowgun-toting-kilt-wearing-walrus (also not making that up).

The feeling of progression is wonderful as the game plays out. You go from foraging for berries and mushrooms to harvesting corn from farm plots to make tasty fish tacos. You go from a measly campfire to a roaring fire pit, surrounded by stone walls and chests of loot. And while you begin the game running from spiders and fending them off with a pointy stick, you can come back for vengeance later with a shadow sword constructed of pure nightmares and an army of friendly pig-men. Also, you've given the pig-men top hats, because it's important to look dapper.

Artistically, the game is very unique and incredibly weird, with a style that makes all the characters and props look like living pencil and charcoal drawings. The theme is playful and cartoony while having very sinister undertones. Think Alice in Wonderland and Nightmare Before Christmas, with a dose of Lovecraft thrown in when your sanity dips and you start to go nuts. In 40+ hours of play, I haven't stopped smiling at how goofy the berry-stealing Gobbler is or how the noble Beefalo herds stare at you blankly when you walk by. And the shadowy hand that slowly reaches out of the darkness to snuff out your camp fire (with the background sound of a broken jack-in-the-box) is just straight-up disturbing.

Speaking of campfires, the day/night cycle this game has is one of the best implemented I've seen in a video game. There is a day/dusk/night rotation (as well as a summer/winter/rainstorm mechanic) that greatly influences how the world and the player behave. Rabbits frolic during the day, creepy/crawly things come out at dusk, and straying from a light source for even a few seconds at night causes an unseen horror to straight-up murder you. Even when you're far into a game with an established, well-stocked campsite, you're still just a castaway huddled next to a fire, gnawing on a rabbit bone, trying not to go crazy.

Which brings me to my last point concerning difficulty. At some point, the game stops ramping up challenges so quickly and just starts to just cycle them. It's then when players begin to complain of boredom. "I've survived 100 days and now the game is boooring!" Well, boredom only comes from security and security is only achieved from a fully-explored map and campsite bursting with supplies and gadgets. There's always the option of stuffing a few things in a sack and jumping through the Teleportato (not a typo) to generate a whole new, unmapped, dangerous world. I've done this several times and the thrill of mapping out a new island hasn't gotten old.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to eat a sack full of mushrooms and beat an angry, walking pine tree to death with a bat made out of ham, all while tripping my ass off and hallucinating rabbits with beards. Then, maybe I'll play Don't Starve some more.
  16. Apr 29, 2013
    Don't starve is one of those games that you can put hours and hours into and still keep you playing. It gives the player loads of different things to do and they are still updating the game and adding new content. This game's art style is fantastic, it has a Gothic like feel. It is up their with the best survival games and sometimes makes you panic.

I bought this game in Beta and played

I bought this game in Beta and played it ever since. Sorry for saying this but it is almost like where Minecraft began in playing the game and adding content while you play whilst still keeping you griped in the game. I highly recommend this game and you can pick this game up for around £10 on steam.

Remember, Don't Starve!
  17. May 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't Starve is a varied survival game unlike any other where as the game progresses it gets frequently harder to survive. You firstly have to gain a way to get food hence the name "Don't Starve" then after a few days monsters also known as hounds will ambush you constantly between 7 10 days. There are numerous mobs in the wild which are useful and some deadly. An example of this often occurs in Winter when a very large monster will attack you which you must prepare for. Not only does he hit hard, he drains your sanity another thing you have to upkeep then after you kill him hallucinations can attack. Winter is brutal as you can freeze to death and cannot stray too far from your camp, however, there are alternatives to this such as getting a winter hat or 'Heat Stone'.

The story is fairly linear and is more of a challenge but has a good twist but you need to find the area to progress with the story. It gives you insanely hard challenges such as unlimited night time, where you must bring a torch wherever you go making it hard to do certain things.

Overall I think Don't Starve is a great game which I play casually. The only downfall of this game is that they don't add co-op/ multiplier which could further increase the games popularity.
  18. May 20, 2013
    Don't Starve is a highly stylized solo survival game from and isometric perspective that takes place on a plane. The game is deeply challenging and given it's rogue-like style you will need to restart more than once to survive your first winter. The world you find yourself in is populated by a large cast of strange monsters and creatures, many of which you will either need to tame or killDon't Starve is a highly stylized solo survival game from and isometric perspective that takes place on a plane. The game is deeply challenging and given it's rogue-like style you will need to restart more than once to survive your first winter. The world you find yourself in is populated by a large cast of strange monsters and creatures, many of which you will either need to tame or kill to survive. Random worlds and an adventure mode add further to the replayability and monthly updates add significant amounts of new content to the game if you somehow manage to exhaust what the game comes with now. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoyed Minecraft (But wished it was harder), Terraria (But wanted more survival elements) or Fallout New Vegas Hardcore Mode (But wanted more threat of actually starving). Expand
  19. Apr 24, 2013
    It's like a Tim Burton style Minecraft.Seriously, that dark atmosphere sucks you in.You will spend your hours for this game, trust me.Buy it or trade it or win a giveaway or something but seriously, get this game
  20. May 23, 2013
    One of the best game-plays I have seen. Fun, very entertaining and difficult.

Focus is survival but in actuality it is more of base creation. You need to plan out well, make sure you survive through winter... that would be an accomplishment. Then next would be fighting the boss. That part I havent figure it out yet :) But the devs are great for this game very nice updates to
    One of the best game-plays I have seen. Fun, very entertaining and difficult.

But the devs are great for this game very nice updates to be expected and the game is quite stable upon release. I have not experience a single crash. This game is definitely a 10/10. I have more fun at this game compared to other triple A titles that focus more of graphics rather than gameplay.
  21. Apr 24, 2013
    Just awesome... if you're an old school gamer you're gonna love it!!. It bring backs those old memories where games had no guides, no tips, no suggestions, not help at all... you've to figure out everything on your own [I strongly recommend not to look for guides or help on the Internet]. "Don't starve" it's a very accurate title, the search for food becomes a very big problem, adding theJust awesome... if you're an old school gamer you're gonna love it!!. It bring backs those old memories where games had no guides, no tips, no suggestions, not help at all... you've to figure out everything on your own [I strongly recommend not to look for guides or help on the Internet]. "Don't starve" it's a very accurate title, the search for food becomes a very big problem, adding the fact that you can also go mad, die frozen, get killed by creatures etc.. If you're looking for a really challenging survival, this is your game it's a 10/10 for me.. Expand
  22. Apr 26, 2013
    Amazingly addictive. For such a simple premise this game sucks you in. The permadeath was worrying at first, but it does add to the game. I can't wait to unlock the other characters.
  23. May 18, 2013
    Amazing game play. Beautiful art style and soundtrack.

Negative reviewers obviously did not play enough of the game to see its full potential. Games that require patience reward you handsomely This is not a game for the impatient or those looking for short term fulfillment. Beginning may be a grind, but as each day passes more creatures and events will arise. Not every developer has
    Amazing game play. Beautiful art style and soundtrack.

Not every developer has cash to make an amazing game. Please don't compare this gem to huge blockbusters.
  24. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was an amazing experience for me, the only boring part is collecting twigs, grass, and wood. The next step gets me excited, for every 10 or so days you will get attacked and there are dangers that lurk with every place you go to. Also with the new underground area with giant rabbits, trying to kill you for revenge from their lost brothers (the regular rabbits you killed) and the harder bosses like the spider queen and the forest guardian, but i just think this game is one of the best i have ever played. Expand
  25. Jun 11, 2013
    Yet another game like Minecraft and Terraria.
    And I must say its very addicting. Survival part of this one is way ahead of Minecraft and Terria. I would say its achieved trough great balance. No meter what you do, you are always short, and when you think you are safe game throws new challenge at you.
    If you like a feeling of trying to survive in hostile environment with multiple
    Yet another game like Minecraft and Terraria.
    If you like a feeling of trying to survive in hostile environment with multiple strategies definitely try this
  26. Nov 19, 2013
    After a pile of hours in this game, I can honestly say it's one for me. Those that complain about things "two-shotting" them haven't made it to the point where they can respawn yet. Yes, it's a bit of a grind at first when you're just learning. Though if you continue on and start figuring out the world around you it becomes far easier. So if you're looking for a game that doesn't hold yourAfter a pile of hours in this game, I can honestly say it's one for me. Those that complain about things "two-shotting" them haven't made it to the point where they can respawn yet. Yes, it's a bit of a grind at first when you're just learning. Though if you continue on and start figuring out the world around you it becomes far easier. So if you're looking for a game that doesn't hold your hand and tell you exactly what you need to do, this is it. As the world around is trying to eat you while you attempt not to starve or go insane. ^_^ Expand
  27. Apr 26, 2013
    Pros: +Art style is very reminiscent of something tim burton would do.
    +Fantastic character designs.
    +It's a very quirky and funny game overall. +Randomly generated worlds make every adventure feel different (to an extent). +Combat can be quite fun with a nice variety of ways to defeat enemies +You can farm, trap animals, fight, do magic, and fight against going insane among other
    Pros: +Art style is very reminiscent of something tim burton would do.
    +Fantastic character designs.
    +It's a very quirky and funny game overall.
    +Randomly generated worlds make every adventure feel different (to an extent).
    +Combat can be quite fun with a nice variety of ways to defeat enemies
    +You can farm, trap animals, fight, do magic, and fight against going insane among other things.

Cons: -Not very noob-friendly in the beginning (if you're having trouble surviving then check out the forums on steam or klei's website).
    -The crafting system should be even deeper in my opinion.
  28. May 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of my favorites. Ever since i first played as wilson and died of lightning, i have been addicted. This game provides an excellent survivalist envirorment, giving you more to explore every update. From Wilson To Maxwell, Each character give unique challenges all around. Expand
  29. Jun 30, 2013
    How the hell is this anything like Minecraft or Terraria?
    It seems that any game that features survival is a Minecraft clone nowadays, this is a entirely different game from Minecraft or Terraria and focuses more on survival than building or mining as you have to gather food so that you don't starve and light a fire before night comes or you die instantly.
    While mining and building are
    How the hell is this anything like Minecraft or Terraria?

While mining and building are in the game they're not all that useful as you'll spend most of your time searching for resources to help you survive rather than creating walls as they can be a waste of resources that you needed to make into a trap or something.

Don't Starve features great artwork and music that add to the atmosphere of the game.
  30. May 10, 2013
    You're dropped off in the middle of some parallel universe, with nothing. Your immediate goal is to collect the materials necessary to build and maintain a fire before the end of dusk, or else unspeakable horrors will devour you whole in the black of night. In order to survive, you'll have to mine, hunt, kill, forage, farm, stockpile, build, and prepare for Winter. If you fail to performYou're dropped off in the middle of some parallel universe, with nothing. Your immediate goal is to collect the materials necessary to build and maintain a fire before the end of dusk, or else unspeakable horrors will devour you whole in the black of night. In order to survive, you'll have to mine, hunt, kill, forage, farm, stockpile, build, and prepare for Winter. If you fail to perform sanity restoring actions like sleeping and picking flowers, you will slowly drift into insanity, where your own demons await. And, one, last, very important thing: DON'T STARVE!

This game is awesome ^_^ Sandbox, strategy, rpg, with monsters and magic. It is a game of exploration, and survival. If you turn it into a game of grind, then I think you're doing it wrong. Of course stockpiling for Winter is a big part of the game, but you must move around the world (and far away from whatever home you create for yourself) in order to progress.
  31. Koo
    Jul 21, 2013
    Don't Starve is great fun in small doses. It has a certain charm about it I really like, and the gameplay is enjoyable too. For a game with no walk throughs or tips built-in, it is surprisingly easy to pick-up. Mouse cursor activated tooltips give you most of the information you need (e.g. what you need to build things) and beyond that, the game is about experimentation. And it is funDon't Starve is great fun in small doses. It has a certain charm about it I really like, and the gameplay is enjoyable too. For a game with no walk throughs or tips built-in, it is surprisingly easy to pick-up. Mouse cursor activated tooltips give you most of the information you need (e.g. what you need to build things) and beyond that, the game is about experimentation. And it is fun to explore. Don't Starve is one of those games where you will die several times before you make progress, but that's part of the fun in my opinion. Provided you are willing to learn from your mistakes, this is a very enjoyable game. The game's soundtrack is fantastic as well. 9/10 Expand
  32. May 8, 2013
    I have a Steam account with a massive backlog of games, some even AAA budget titles but they'll have to get in line behind this little indy title. The perma death seemed a little harsh at first but if you can past that, there's a gem of a game here.
  33. May 21, 2013
    This is definitely one of my favorite games in the past couple years. Survival elements seem too harsh at first, but seems easy once you've started figuring things out. (if you're having trouble, look up recipes for the crock pot). Insofar as that, I'd say the game is immersively complex without being complex to the point where you give up.

The game is full of variety, and the massive

The game is full of variety, and the massive dev updates (instead of spitting out garbage DLC) makes you want to buy the game multiple times just because you know you short-changed the dev by only paying what was asked. The art style is excellent, though the fake 3D engine has obvious drawbacks. Enemy variety and drops are particularly excellent. Even though common enemies drop the same items almost every time, those enemies' drops are needed for progression in crafting and survival in general.

Every single mechanic flows exceptionally well together, unlike anything I've before seen in a game. There's never a time when I said "why's this mechanic or item even in the game?" (well, okay except the pumpkin jack-o-lantern that was relatively useless?) I played this game with my wife at the same time, and we both loved it. We swapped stories about what does what, and how to interact with in-game objects in a new way.

This game should be an example for game developers in maintaining a sense of wonder by not revealing everything to the player right away. It's very similar to Binding of Isaac in this way or Nethack, along with many other roguelikes. There's just a TON of content, without any of it being forced on you, so unlike the many linear games AAA releases bring.

As others say, the game does eventually get "old" once there are fewer new things coming up on you. The dev updates are wonderful, but if you've already explored the vast majority of the game, adding 2-5% more content isn't really enough. It's the same with mods and the modding community. Modding is "semi-supported" (maybe more like "barely tolerated"), and there are some good ones which enhance gameplay, but there are no decent overhauls, which is unfortunate. I look forward to playing the game again in a year or so, knowing there will definitely be enough content for me to jump back in and enjoy myself.
  34. May 8, 2013
    Greatest game of the year. No other game has managed to capture the essence of survival quite like this one. Klei Entertainment is without a doubt a company of geniuses.
  35. Apr 25, 2013
    My first survival adventure game and I love it. Some people say it gets boring and repetitive after a while but I've already played 15 hours for 13$ and I had a blast. Now even if I never played it again I still think that 80c an hour is pretty good value And with the promised updates I am pretty sure I will try it at least for a few more hours with every update and as far as I know thereMy first survival adventure game and I love it. Some people say it gets boring and repetitive after a while but I've already played 15 hours for 13$ and I had a blast. Now even if I never played it again I still think that 80c an hour is pretty good value And with the promised updates I am pretty sure I will try it at least for a few more hours with every update and as far as I know there are like 6 of them coming.But frankly I see myself playing it at least a couple more times in the next few days since I only got to day 28... 7 days into a surprise winter. I tought winter will come like at day 150 or something Expand
  36. Jun 3, 2013
    Don't Starve is a really fun, challenging and sometimes frustrating survival game. It has some really simple, but stylish graphics (reminds me of some kind of Tim Burton drawings), The day/ night cycle and lighting effects are also right. The animation of the characters are very fluid. The camera is from a top down view with a slight perspective, it can be rotated by 45 degrees, but theDon't Starve is a really fun, challenging and sometimes frustrating survival game. It has some really simple, but stylish graphics (reminds me of some kind of Tim Burton drawings), The day/ night cycle and lighting effects are also right. The animation of the characters are very fluid. The camera is from a top down view with a slight perspective, it can be rotated by 45 degrees, but the objects and characters are both stylish 2D sprites. In overall, it looks good and artistic!

The gameplay is extremely challenging and fun at the same time, however, sometimes it can be boring, so you should have some breaks sometimes. In the game itself, you start in nowhere with your selected character. Each characters have different perks (more health, bigger stomach, longer beard(!), and other special abilities), but you can start only with one. You need to progress in the game to unlock other characters.You need to collect things, combine them into tools, food, equipment, and also you need to fight against monsters and animals and against your own sanity! Character can become insane and he/she will hallucinate and the mental attacks can become physical attacks, it can kill you.

Sound effects are cool, the music is also good too. I'm not good at describing sounds, so I don't go in-depth.

Replayablity is great. The world is random generated, and can give the player new challenge all the time. Also, there is an adventure mode, which is accessible through a portal from the normal game mode. Also, the game is frequently updated, so the developers fixes bugs and puts new contents in it. The latest update has caves too, which is a really cool feature. It simply deserves a 9 of 10. It's fresh, interesting, and challenging, but not recommended for casual gamers. Of you like challenging survival games, this is for you!
  37. May 6, 2013
    My initial reaction to this game is pretty good. At a first glance it reminded me of Diablo (II) with the top down adventure and a splash of gloominess. Then you get that minecraft feel from exploring around and trying to figure out what makes what, and what is useful. When you first start playing it may seem pretty plain Jane but there is a robust gameplay that hides beneath the surface.My initial reaction to this game is pretty good. At a first glance it reminded me of Diablo (II) with the top down adventure and a splash of gloominess. Then you get that minecraft feel from exploring around and trying to figure out what makes what, and what is useful. When you first start playing it may seem pretty plain Jane but there is a robust gameplay that hides beneath the surface. I highly recommend studying the wiki for a bit to get you going at a faster pace! So far, I can’t stop playing it! As long as the flow of content updates keeps coming I think this game has great potential. For those of you who liked Terarria, Minecraft, Diablo, and a dark sense of humor, BUY THIS! Expand
  38. May 3, 2013
    An example of a perfect Survival game. The music, art and characters are excellent too. I really hope this game gets the "Best Indie Game" in the VGA's
  39. May 8, 2013
    This game is really enjoyable, it is fun to play, there are tons of feature and regular updates that add to the fun. The only problem is the difficulty: your first few games are going to be very, very short. This game can be played again and again once you are a bit experienced, so even if you die at your first night... try again!
    There are many ways to survive, and to play. Yes,
    There are many ways to survive, and to play. Yes, sometimes it will be a bit repetitive, but it really worth it.
    (By the way, I'm french, sorry for my bad english)
  40. May 5, 2013
    With every update the game gets more fun. The klein is surprising me every update.
    I do not get tired of dying and start again. He is super fun and addicting.

SCORE 1000
  41. May 28, 2013
    This game is a survival game and has Adventure mod witch gives you 1 or 2 characters,It's avarage game for me,the world is limited,the invetory is limited,you finish it by completing the adventure mod.
    You have 4 important game keys to watch out
    You have 4 important game keys to watch out
    1.Sanity The most important you must see forever beacuse sometimes you dont know if a petal is poisonous or a mushroom.When you have sanity 5 to 25,monster spawn surround you even if it day or night,they kill you
    2.Time this is the second important thing to see on your screen if you dont build any campfire or any pit fire you will get killed by monster or natural monsters(spiders...)
    3.food bar i think you know it
    4.Health this is the third important thing.
    The game art style is great,the background music is great,the AI is not too bad but not too good,the game itself is great.
    i hope this enough,9/10 MUST TRY
  42. May 6, 2013
    How this got 76, I don't know. It's tons of fun. Sure, it is a little repetitive, but the same can be said for pretty much every game in this fashion out today.
  43. May 12, 2013
    First Indie game Ever not bored me when I play again and f*cking New game again, Huge World with Strange Species and You have to survive in it, how awesome!!. AMAZING GAME!!!
  44. May 4, 2013
    One of the best indie games i have ever played so far. I don't care if you say this game is a copycat of Minecraft. To me i think this game is way better than Minecraft
  45. Apr 24, 2013
    The game is amazing overall the combat is great, the scavenging for items is great, and the hardcore survival right as you think it's getting easy, winter arrives and you are struggling for survival, is also very fun. I think the game deserves every bit of credit for it's great gameplay and awesome survival aspect. The price of the game on steam is phenomenal for just $13.49 at the momentThe game is amazing overall the combat is great, the scavenging for items is great, and the hardcore survival right as you think it's getting easy, winter arrives and you are struggling for survival, is also very fun. I think the game deserves every bit of credit for it's great gameplay and awesome survival aspect. The price of the game on steam is phenomenal for just $13.49 at the moment because of the 10% off. The one and only thing I have a problem with in this game is......... NOTHING. I can't think of anything that would make me not want to play this game. Expand
  46. Apr 25, 2013
    Wilderness survival with highly stylized aesthetics. You can find inspiration from other survival type games, but this one is unique and full of innovation. It has a dark and challenging tone throughout the game and it will keep you on the edge of your seat. If you play this game, remember nothing is certain, you never know when your next breath is your last.
  47. Apr 28, 2013
    If your a fan of survivalist games, this should be in your steam library. It offers what you can expect from a survival game and makes you really think about your characters survival. You start by getting plunged into a new different world with no idea what's going on. Collecting resources, food and anything else needed for your survival. Every time you start a new world you learn a newIf your a fan of survivalist games, this should be in your steam library. It offers what you can expect from a survival game and makes you really think about your characters survival. You start by getting plunged into a new different world with no idea what's going on. Collecting resources, food and anything else needed for your survival. Every time you start a new world you learn a new thing about the game and a new way of fighting for survival.
    The art style of this game only makes it better, the cartoon look to the plants, monsters and the rest of the world only makes me love this game more.

A great game and a must buy!
  48. Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't starve gives no tutorial, it punishes every mistake and hardly rewards you when you do good.
    In other words, it is a rouge like. A survival-adventure rouge like.
    No, a BRILLIANT survival-adventure rouge like with a spiffing art style and sounds.
    Everything can kill you, nothing is easy and the world keeps throwing horrifying monsters and other dangers at you; Yet it never feels unfair, you can kill the monsters, you can get out of the traps, you can survive.
    And that's not all, there are five other characters to unlock who all have their own set of powers, stats and personality's.
    And I must say, the characters are so well made that they feel like real people.
    But that's just survival mode.
    There's a door hidden somewhere in the world, a doorway to adventure.
    What lies beyond is a set of five extremely difficult levels that does everything in its power to stop you from reaching the next level.
    It may sound hard, impossible, even, but it's the only way to get to unlock the last two characters and to find Maxwell and find out the secret of the world you are stuck in...

And as the game is still receiving regular content patches everything above will improve in every way.

TL;DR: Don't starve is hard but fair with tons of content and I highly recommend it to all fans of the survival genre.
  49. Apr 30, 2013
    Excellent Game Also Enjoyed Getting Team Fortress items, This Was a very simple game but put into a aspect that i never really Sean before. The Survival Actions will hook you in into a new world full Of Monsters, And Survival, This Is a very good game,
  50. Ndi
    May 3, 2013
    A compact game, very addictive, very few bugs, quite nice time waster, quick to load and play and no major annoyances.

A well deserved 9. I'd say 10, but it's a bit expensive for such a game that could have been a free flash game with little difference. As it will drop in price, most likely, soon (this review is about a week after release), I warmly recommend it.
  51. May 5, 2013
    This game might seem silly first, but it's far from it anyone who loved Minecraft will definitely love this

The game's art is refreshing and it's dark humor is even better. Game utilizes crafting system that's extremely basic compared to Minecraft but it seems to be best that way. You need to build "Science machines" to research for magic, armors weapons etc. When it's night

The game's art is refreshing and it's dark humor is even better.

You need to build "Science machines" to research for magic, armors weapons etc.

When it's night time you need to build a fire and stay near it otherwise a giant invisible monster gets you,

Overall, this game is a refreshing change it knows how to keep you entertained through the game with the weather changes AND with the sanity/food bar system.
  52. May 7, 2013
    Been playing this game for quite some time. Absolutely brilliant. It never gets old, and it's constantly being updated.

-Majeye of Majeye Gaming
  53. May 9, 2013
    Absolutely LOVE IT!

It is a great game, but it gets a bit repetitive.
    It is my new favourite.
    I recommend to buy the game, the new features are awesome!
  54. May 10, 2013
    I've been paying attention to this game for a long time, and was always on the fence about buying it or not. I finally decided to buy it after much debating with myself and i'm very happy to announce that it was a brilliant purchase! The game is a very interesting and challenging game with really unique graphics amongst other things that really make it stand out. My favourite part aboutI've been paying attention to this game for a long time, and was always on the fence about buying it or not. I finally decided to buy it after much debating with myself and i'm very happy to announce that it was a brilliant purchase! The game is a very interesting and challenging game with really unique graphics amongst other things that really make it stand out. My favourite part about this title is the lack of instructions (what can I say, dying over and over really gets me addicted to a game) and am enjoying figuring out different things about the game. It has yet to feel repetitive during the time I have been playing as every game/round/life (however you consider it) I have tried something different, something that will hopefully let me last just that little while longer and I can honestly recommend this game to anyone who really is looking for a survival game, and to a degree a horror as well. Playing this game can go from relaxing to stressful in one simple event and I love the fact that a game can keep me on my toes like this. Overall, if you want a fun, unique and interesting survival horror (horror can be subjective to the person playing, I personally find it to be gripping at times) I highly recommend you pick up this game! Expand
  55. May 11, 2013
    Don't Starve is easy to pick up and start, and is continually becoming more and more complex as features are added. You have to stay on your toes to survive and a simple mistake can be the end of it. Currently have played it for 20 hours, but I'll sure be playing more!
  56. May 15, 2013
    This is absolutely not a game that will hold your hand. There is no tutorial period and when you die, you start over. It's old school like that, almost as if it's a remastered game from the golden age of Nintendo. The difficulty in progressing through your first in game year of play will frustrate and turn a lot of people off, but the satisfaction in independently solving the myriadThis is absolutely not a game that will hold your hand. There is no tutorial period and when you die, you start over. It's old school like that, almost as if it's a remastered game from the golden age of Nintendo. The difficulty in progressing through your first in game year of play will frustrate and turn a lot of people off, but the satisfaction in independently solving the myriad challenges relentlessly thrust upon your character in this hostile world is exhilarating.

Yeah, you should try not to starve. But honestly, the ever present threat of starvation is hardly the greatest obstacle to your character's survival. Maintaining sanity amidst violent monsters both real and imagined, protecting yourself from the harsh climate, even escaping the lethal darkness of night provide more than enough of a challenge for those willing to put in the work it takes to discover this surprisingly large world.

I've had an absolute blast with this game, expecting to play only around 15 hours. I've now logged 70+. A survival management simulation at it's core, this game really can't be much better for it's price. So don't starve, but really, watch out for those Hell Hounds.
  57. May 18, 2013
    This game has a very nice art style,a little bit of cartoonish but it's fine to me.The enemies in this game are just perfect and really scary.The first time i saw a spider i got goosebumps all over my body.I like the characthers,especially Wilson.I love that after every 4th day(i think)his beard grows up for a bit.The maker of this game made a pretty good work.The only thing that annoys meThis game has a very nice art style,a little bit of cartoonish but it's fine to me.The enemies in this game are just perfect and really scary.The first time i saw a spider i got goosebumps all over my body.I like the characthers,especially Wilson.I love that after every 4th day(i think)his beard grows up for a bit.The maker of this game made a pretty good work.The only thing that annoys me is the camera angle.I hate that when i chop trees there is a wood on the other side,and i just have to click q or r to turn the camera.But overall great experience! 9/10 Expand
  58. May 20, 2013
    Don't Starve is a survival game etched in challenge. I rather enjoy challenging games, as that is what drew me to this game. If you hate repetitive games (like all games), then don't get it. This is a game not about finding a way to escape your situation, but to instead survive long enough that you can find a way out. Odds are, you will not accomplish this task on your first go. PossiblyDon't Starve is a survival game etched in challenge. I rather enjoy challenging games, as that is what drew me to this game. If you hate repetitive games (like all games), then don't get it. This is a game not about finding a way to escape your situation, but to instead survive long enough that you can find a way out. Odds are, you will not accomplish this task on your first go. Possibly not even after you have played for several days. The game sets it's rules: 1) Don't take what is not yours; 2) Many things are docile until you attack; and 3) Don't starve.
    The game follows these rules to the end: there is no way around it.
  59. May 22, 2013
    I keep being drawn back to this game. I recommend playing it in 2-3 hour chunks and don't look up any wiki. It is fun to explore and discover new ways to interact with this fun but deadly world. I cant get everything done before the next free bit of content comes along so i am sure there will be many more hours of fun in this game for me. It's worth every penny of the £11 i paid for it andI keep being drawn back to this game. I recommend playing it in 2-3 hour chunks and don't look up any wiki. It is fun to explore and discover new ways to interact with this fun but deadly world. I cant get everything done before the next free bit of content comes along so i am sure there will be many more hours of fun in this game for me. It's worth every penny of the £11 i paid for it and a great experience for one of my first indie games, which has intrigued me to try more. Expand
  60. Jun 15, 2013
    So as you can tell by the 10 given I absolutely love this game I have owned this game since December 1st when it was still in development and have well I would say wasted but I don't feel like I wasted time on this game since it is so much fun. The art is great controls are smooth its not glitchy and as long as you keep adventuring it doesn't get boring. The developers are very good too.So as you can tell by the 10 given I absolutely love this game I have owned this game since December 1st when it was still in development and have well I would say wasted but I don't feel like I wasted time on this game since it is so much fun. The art is great controls are smooth its not glitchy and as long as you keep adventuring it doesn't get boring. The developers are very good too. The fact that they tell you how many days until the next update just brings joy to me. SO yes I would recommend this game. Expand
  61. Jun 5, 2013
    Don't Starve is a brilliant game in which you start out as a guy named wilson and you appear in the wilderness with a man named maxwell hinting you find food before it gets dark. You are left to fend for yourself in a natural survival game with animals that seem almost natural but some with a monsterous twist. Such as a plain old rabbit or the twisted deerclops you never know what toDon't Starve is a brilliant game in which you start out as a guy named wilson and you appear in the wilderness with a man named maxwell hinting you find food before it gets dark. You are left to fend for yourself in a natural survival game with animals that seem almost natural but some with a monsterous twist. Such as a plain old rabbit or the twisted deerclops you never know what to expect. The only minor criticism I have is that many new players are steered away from the game after dying after spending many hours with one character which can lead to some raging and smashing of computers :D Expand
  62. Jun 11, 2013
    Interesting game, I don't really have good words for it, but i loved the game, Its such a interesting type of game, survival and really open, i loved the game, i just don't give it a ten because it could use some good interesting story to make the best game ever, very cool.
  63. Jun 27, 2013
    It is amazing. The first game I actually bought on Steam in ages. Maybe I have a soft spot for games that are rougelike/survival/procedurally generated/whatever you want to call it, but I'm having loads of fun. I don't understand why everyone thinks it's repetitive, I've gotten through playthroughs of 60+ days and am still finding things to do. If you're just sitting at your base campIt is amazing. The first game I actually bought on Steam in ages. Maybe I have a soft spot for games that are rougelike/survival/procedurally generated/whatever you want to call it, but I'm having loads of fun. I don't understand why everyone thinks it's repetitive, I've gotten through playthroughs of 60+ days and am still finding things to do. If you're just sitting at your base camp surviving, go exploring and find things you haven't seen before, that's what the game's about!

And the adventure mode! My God. It's challenging and captivating. Each level's harder than the rest. The ending is...terrifying.

The updates just keep coming as well. The devs are committed to the wellbeing of this game.

If you think you will enjoy it, you will. Buy it immediately. If you don't, you probably won't. Rougelikes aren't for everyone.
  64. Jul 14, 2013
    One of the best survival games, a mix between Minecraft and Terraria with a little bit of art. Great graphics and great soundtracks. There are a lot of things to do and the game is full of traps. There's a mystery behind the game, too, why is there that man at the beginning of each game? This will make you more wishful to finish the game.
  65. Nov 5, 2013
    To all those who say there is no story, you obviously have not played enough. Inside the game there is an "adventure mode" which is basically story mode(and very challenging). I have logged well over 200 hours into this game and some of my best times were in the beginning when i had no idea what was coming next. The Developers are incredible. They put out over 6 months of content forTo all those who say there is no story, you obviously have not played enough. Inside the game there is an "adventure mode" which is basically story mode(and very challenging). I have logged well over 200 hours into this game and some of my best times were in the beginning when i had no idea what was coming next. The Developers are incredible. They put out over 6 months of content for free after the game was released. There will also be DLC in the future. This game has permadeath. If you cannot get over that fact, then this game is probably not for you. You WILL die. You WILL lose everything. That being said, that is my favorite aspect of the game. Expand
  66. Apr 29, 2013
    I haven't played it too much recently. but when i did it was good fun. i like the concept but i hope they keep the patches coming to make future improvements.
  67. Jul 15, 2013
    A great game. I only gave it a 9 because it lacks co-op (not multiplayer, but co-op with maximum 2-3 players).

It has almost everything a survival game needs, and it is growing still with constant patching (free of charge). Most of the bad reviews are made by people that can`t cope with dying in games (permanent death) or with harsh environments that punish bad decisions and rewards

Most of the bad reviews are made by people that can`t cope with dying in games (permanent death) or with harsh environments that punish bad decisions and rewards intelligence.

A beautiful, challenging game. Do yourself a favor and buy this game, it is really that good.
  68. Jun 30, 2013
    I have now played it for 72 hours this week. Its fantastic! I'm on a record (day 67) now, and i think i will survive forever now, but 100+ hours for a indie game is good!
  69. Jul 15, 2013
    I was really pleasantly surprised by this game. It's a fantastic game if you enjoy trying to survive against all odds with no quest markers telling you where to go, no hand holding, no tutorial, just good old fashioned "figure it out yourself" gameplay. It's not overly complicated, it's really simple on the surface, but much more complex as you keep going and developing strategies to stayI was really pleasantly surprised by this game. It's a fantastic game if you enjoy trying to survive against all odds with no quest markers telling you where to go, no hand holding, no tutorial, just good old fashioned "figure it out yourself" gameplay. It's not overly complicated, it's really simple on the surface, but much more complex as you keep going and developing strategies to stay alive.

It reminds me very much of Minecraft survival mode, but in a much harsher world. I've already put many more hours into this $15 game than I have in my last three $60 games combined.
  70. Jul 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good game is from a good idea. Most people say that Don't Starve is similar to Minecraft. I must say yes, it is. But you don't have to say that it's a copy.

In this game, you have to pick your own food, your own material, build, mix., try new things, discover more, be ready to a new adventure every minute, never be stop, avoid the darkness. Sometimes I keep hours and hours doing the same thing: playing Don't Starve.

This is not a addicting game, but it is a nice game. I can fast feel tired of playing it because of the system of Don't Starve! Don't attack the shadows over there with low life! Don't be on the total darkness! I do like this game, but this little things make the game turns tiring.
  71. Jul 2, 2013
    This game has a very nice artistic drawings and game mechanics, it really make you fell confortable when playing. If you like surviving games like Minecraft, I'm sure you'll enjoy playing Don't Starve. Klei updates are frequent and always add some more content to the game. I own this game from the first beta release.
  72. Jul 3, 2013
    I feel like some reviewers on here did not understand what this game is about. It is about SURVIVAL. The game does not hold your hand and tell you "shh shh child chop down that tree". It throws you in to a fight, flight, or die situation. The game constantly forces you to put yourself out there and prepare for a world thats only purpose is to kill you. If you die, then you die. No retries.I feel like some reviewers on here did not understand what this game is about. It is about SURVIVAL. The game does not hold your hand and tell you "shh shh child chop down that tree". It throws you in to a fight, flight, or die situation. The game constantly forces you to put yourself out there and prepare for a world thats only purpose is to kill you. If you die, then you die. No retries. (Well there are some ways you can come back.) I've played the game since its alpha release and I'm glad to say that I got to see it grow into a full immersive game. Complete with world customization and constructable objects/buildings. The world and the soundtrack that goes along with it is a perfect fit. The art style the game has seems like a Tim Burton style with a little less creepy. It fits well with the game.

The survival game now also has a story with recent updates. I won't spoil anything but even though it may just seem like another survival game the story is actually very compelling and actually makes sense why you are where you are.

TL;DR

Dont Starve is an awesome survival game. Buy it. Lose many hours of your life.
  73. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is so fun! This game is survival hardcore game. Play like character willson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home. Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures,This game is so fun! This game is survival hardcore game. Play like character willson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home. Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play it your own way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land. Expand
  74. Jul 15, 2013
    First think before we start: if you like challenges, know how to learn from your mistakes and improve yourself, then we are ok and you should totally buy this game, but if you get angry easily and can't deal with making silly mistakes then go away.

This game will make you a Bear Gryll (piss not included), this game will throw you into the wild and you will have to show 'em who's the man, you may die on the way (many times) but once you know how to make a nice shelter you should be somewhat ok... till you die exploring, i highly recommend to set the game to only summer on the settings, this way you will learn more things and probably survive twice the days that you would on a normal world.
  75. Jul 16, 2013
    I really like roguelike games, and this also has some of the crafting/exploring element that Terraria has, but this game is the dark to Terraria's light. While Terraria is fun, happy, and multiplayer, this game is fun but twisted and solitary.

Keep in mind the game is about survival, obviously, but you also will be crafting things, collecting resources, exploring and adventuring on a randomly made creepy island that slowly drives your character, as well as you the player insane, but in a good way.
  76. Oct 30, 2013
    I have been playing this game since November last year off and on and I am really impressed how the developers improved the core gameplay and added new content. At the end it is about Wilderness Survival, which is a very interesting topic on its own, but Klei Entertainment added their own flavour which makes this game so great. Be it the art style, the easy controls and the overall feel ofI have been playing this game since November last year off and on and I am really impressed how the developers improved the core gameplay and added new content. At the end it is about Wilderness Survival, which is a very interesting topic on its own, but Klei Entertainment added their own flavour which makes this game so great. Be it the art style, the easy controls and the overall feel of the game, this is something special. The core gameplay mechanics work very well and provide the basics to the success of Don't Starve. The game and its flow seem so natural that you think how noone before them had the idea to make that kind of game. I think it works very well and every new game you start is a new experience. Expand
  77. Feb 7, 2014
    In this game you get yourself spawned in the distant world where your aim is to survive (at least how its seems to me).

From my lives i died to wild bees trying to sack their hive, I ate wrong mushroom killing myself, I was killed by beefaloo when desperately trying to kill it to eat something or i'd die, i was eaten by wild dogs that came in the night to kill me, wild treant smacked me down when i burned half of the forest, I got lost in the dark and was killed by some demon, later I went insane and was killed by the shadow etc. etc. etc...

Its difficult, I keep dying but so far its still fun and I'm getting better. I heard rumors the winter is coming soon so now when I mastered staying alive in the summer I try to stockpile some food. Dunno if its going to be enough though. Because you never know what can happen next in this game :)

Worth the money for sure, and btw the visuals and animations are awesome.
  78. Nov 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (Small Spoilers) I don't understand how such an amazing game could be so low on Metacritic. I would call it a unique, rouge like, top down, survival game. Every time you die, you come back more knowledgable of what can kill and hurt you. You collect things, craft things, and build things. I think the people who gave the game low ratings didn't explore the game enough. There are a bunch of different things you can do, such as befriending pig armies, digging up graves to find small things you can give to the pig king who will give you gold, hatching baby tallbirds, finding mandrakes, hunting the elephant-mouse thing, and surviving winter. I just named some things that take well over a few hours to do. Either the people who gave this game bad ratings didn't explore the game enough, or didn't play the game long enough. The winter takes a whole lot of (in-game) days to appear, giving you time to build up resources. The art-style makes the game even more magnificent, looking like a Tim Burton-ish design. This game deserves at least a 90, if not more. Expand
  79. Dec 22, 2013
    This game blew my comfy house slippers right off my feet and into my fireplace, leaving me with my tootsies unacceptably exposed to the cold. Luckily the game is so absorbing I didn't notice.

Seriously, this game is that good. The music and graphics work together seamlessly to draw you into the bleak and desolate world. It's like playing through someone's waking nightmare as they stumble from one terrifying incident to another, just when things begin to seem settled something is sure to rattle your bones and leave you scrambling.

The gameplay may seem simple, but it's in that simplicity that it holds its charm. What might seem easy as first can quickly begin to seem like an enormous task as the burdens of living in the harsh land snowball onto your character and you can't keep up.

The perma-death feature of the game can make death a traumatizing experience as the character you've so lovingly built up and kept alive for so long has now found it's way to a lonely grave, at the same time it leaves your mind whirring as the cog's and gizmos in your head try to learn from your last play through so that you can survive longer in your next.

The re-playability is huge, there's always something to learn or do better the next time through. On top of that if you decide you'd prefer things a bit different from time to time there's always a huge selection of mods available for the game that offer a wide selection of features. Things as simple as adding in a new playable character based on the Heavy from Team Fortress 2 or changing the rules of how the game work can really spice up the gameplay.

So, really give this game a go if you're into moody, strategic, action packed games that leave you twitching at every movement on the screen. It's my top pick of the year!
  80. Mar 5, 2014
    Marvelous. Although somewhat repetitive the game is exciting in its challenging state. Its cartoon like graphics are appealing to its subject matter. The game has a high level of re playability and its content seems to be growing due to a great community of players.
  81. Apr 3, 2014
    It seems like most (but not all) reviewers who rate this gem badly, only rate it so low because they don't understand the game. So here is my experience.
    After playing almost 48 hours of the game (not in one go) i am still really enjoying Don't Starve. The art style is , yes fantastic for the genre and the gameplay mechanics are simple but yet satisfying. You start off in the middle of know where, on a large map of various biomes. The aim is to craft and survive the various threats in the game. Starvation, annual attacks from beasts, insanity, the darkness, flood, lightning, karma and other various things in the game can all kill you at any point, the game truly makes you feel vulnerable but does add in few ways to feel safe with friendly mobs and respawn points. Yes it is permadeath, but the game saves at points so you don't have to play until you die. You can craft respawn items to revive yourself and there are endless amounts of items you can craft which i haven't even touched half of them yet and i have played for hours and hours! After reaching day 100 i was still finding new parts of the game, survival and adventure mode exist with the main goal to escape the world. This game does have a story!
    Yes you could say it gets repetitive in cycles due to summer, winter and secret seasons but patience and and open mind is always a good thing in video games.
    Overall i think this game is fantastic and a great new fresh breath of air from other games in the new survival/crafting genre. Would definitely recommend and without a doubt is worth the price.
    P.S The new DLC is amazing! But i review that on the page
  82. Apr 8, 2014
    To be honest, this has got to be one of my favorite games. It's like Terraria and Minecraft mixed into one whole Tim Burton-esque awesomeness. 10/10. Amazing.
  83. Apr 15, 2014
    Игра очень интересная, с приятным графическим оформлением, хардкорная. Но есть одна у неё проблемка, после того как вас убили в игре, начинают заново единицы, т.к. это очень расстраивает! Столько сил ты вложил в этот сеанс, а тут БАЦ, и всё... оценка 10/10 за хардкорность и графику
    ПРЕДУПРЕЖДЕНИЕ! МУЛЬТИПЛЕЕРА НЕТ И ДЕЛАТЬ ЕГО НЕ СОБИРАЮТСЯ! на заметку
    ПРЕДУПРЕЖДЕНИЕ! МУЛЬТИПЛЕЕРА НЕТ И ДЕЛАТЬ ЕГО НЕ СОБИРАЮТСЯ! на заметку
  84. Jul 30, 2013
    I bought this because I loved the art style. I didn't think I'd like the rogue aspect (permadeath), but it quickly grew on me. I personally don't care for Minecraft (compared to a lot), this game feels very different. While there is resource gathering, there is always a strategic aspect where you need to balance different needs and use your time effectively. Because of that it never feelsI bought this because I loved the art style. I didn't think I'd like the rogue aspect (permadeath), but it quickly grew on me. I personally don't care for Minecraft (compared to a lot), this game feels very different. While there is resource gathering, there is always a strategic aspect where you need to balance different needs and use your time effectively. Because of that it never feels like grinding. I keep finding more depth to both the crafting and the world itself too, so after 20 or so hours I'm far from bored. Easily my favorite game of the year, thanks to Don't Starve I was able to take a proper break from League of Legends! Expand
  85. Jul 28, 2013
    This is a great game that I'd recommend to anyone, particularly those who enjoy survival horror. The basic premise is that the game is a survival game with a focus on hunger, that, once you die, your world is erased and you must start again. There are many ways to avoid this fate, but ultimately you will die or decide to start a new world.

The overall mechanics of the game fit

The overall mechanics of the game fit brilliantly together. It might seem frustrating to lose a character and world, but the more engaging parts of the game are the exploration, construction and attempts to survive. Dying means you have a chance to start again, taking your past mistakes into account. You construct, craft and collect, like in many current survival games, but don't expect some Minecraft survival clone because of the presence of a pickaxe. Once you get past the basics, like cutting trees, the game veers off in a widely different direction, focusing on your hunger, sanity and health, and not building pretty constructs. Combat is not one of the game's strong points, and you will have to fight monsters at some point. Most combat can be avoided, but at some point you will have to fight to advance and survive.

This game has an art style that suits the style of the game. Rather than try to make the strange creatures fit into some realistic art style, they have decided to go with a "weird and dark" art style that is somewhat reminiscent of a cartoon. If it seems pretentious or silly to you, try to look past that. Once you get into the game you'll appreciate it. A standard art style for modern survival horror games would look cheap and uninspired if used in Don't Starve.

The usage of sound really amplifies the feelings of loneliness, danger and creepiness that the game will put you through, as well as giving you clear indictation of state, overall creating an immersive atmosphere.

Don't Starve is a fun, immersive, engaging game that lives up to both the title and the reviews. Like many other modern indie games this game does not have a tutorial or a definitive guide. A lot of the negative reviews for Don't Starve focus on this, or are a result of it. Do yourself a favour and spend the first few hours playing without a guide, and once you've learned all you can without the Wiki, start using it. You'll be surprised how much you can learn without a guide as long as you're aiming to learn.
  86. Oct 29, 2013
    The art style, the humor, the charm, the sometimes brutal cruelty that the game slaughters you with horribly. The replay, the gameplay, The bitter winter chill that runs down your spine as you starve to death half insane during the winter. This game I fell in love with immediately, And honestly was the only game I played for almost a week after I got it.
    The game is not perfect, and is
    The game is not perfect, and is really I personally feel a niche genre game..though survival horror kinda games seem to be far more popular nowadays. But there in lies the problem as I think this is either a game you love or hate once again completely depending on if you like horror like survival games. And with that in mind its a hard game to recommend.
    Regardless my score is higher then I would probably normally rate it simply because of the games personality. I love so many thing about this game the art and the humor especially it just makes it different. And that has to count for something, the smile it keeps putting on my face certainly does.
  87. Jul 30, 2014
    This game is quite hard in the beginning until you get the grasp of it. I played many hours of it until it started to haunt my dreams. I was literally playing it through the night so I had to stop and unistall it. But really it is a great game. Damn the hounds!
  88. Nov 30, 2013
    This game is great combination of survival and fantasy. It puts you in a world in which everyone struggles to survive. I think that the depth of this game is impressive and one will not discover everything in any number of worlds. I do find the perma-death frustrating at the beginning, but after i learned what i was doing it was a pretty entertaining game. The gameplay and world areThis game is great combination of survival and fantasy. It puts you in a world in which everyone struggles to survive. I think that the depth of this game is impressive and one will not discover everything in any number of worlds. I do find the perma-death frustrating at the beginning, but after i learned what i was doing it was a pretty entertaining game. The gameplay and world are dynamic enough to keep me hooked to it for quite a few hours, and running low on food or other resources keeps adrenaline flowing, which i find impressive in a survival game. Expand
  89. Apr 17, 2014
    Don't starve + Dlc Reign of Giants is one of the best survival funny games i have ever tried.
    Goods and Foods:
    + original ways of survival + original and somehow sinister characters + no hand holding to the bathroom, son (the game will biatch slap you for mistakes) + your main and only goal is to survive and have fun (well unlocking new characters may be a goal too) + technology and
    Goods and Foods:
    + original ways of survival
    + original and somehow sinister characters
    + technology and magic working as one (yes this is not a warhammer game, son)
    + good 2D art and graphics
    + mods makes gameplay better
    +enjoyable sounds and soundtracks (just listen to Weiber)
    + good single player mission story

Bads and goofs:
    - really hard to master (way too much ways to die)
    - some level of grinding and repetitive tasks, that some people will not enjoy
    - don't read the wikipedia if you like nasty surprises
    - if you die (and don't have any means of ressurection) GAME TOTAL OVER ( you have to start from the begining of the main menu)
    - OOO THE IRONY... to wave of updates (7-14 days) gives new gameplay and fixes and you have to start a new game every time, if you want to enjoy them.
  90. Aug 21, 2013
    Don't starve is easily one of the best games i played in a very long time.
    Not starving is a difficult task where you must "multitask" your gameplay to achieve all elements necessary to your survival.
    The game offers various environments and a lot of different resources to handle,with whom you can build more or less complex tools that may aid you in your journey. Surely one of the best
    Don't starve is easily one of the best games i played in a very long time.
    Surely one of the best indie games i played.
    This is not a 10 just because i don't think it's totally perfect.
  91. Aug 23, 2013
    I loved everything about this game! I love the artwork, the gameplay the sound board! Hell i even made this account so I could rate it! It's a fun learn-how-to-play-yourself game (I recommend a quick trip to the wiki for the basics) where you survive and thrive through day and night, summer and winter, or even combat starvation and wild animals! It has many different characters you canI loved everything about this game! I love the artwork, the gameplay the sound board! Hell i even made this account so I could rate it! It's a fun learn-how-to-play-yourself game (I recommend a quick trip to the wiki for the basics) where you survive and thrive through day and night, summer and winter, or even combat starvation and wild animals! It has many different characters you can choose from to suit your play style, and even a comedy one for the "hardcore" players who want a challenge. And with the ability to choose what spawn in your world and how it's created, this game can have you set a custom difficulty to help or challenge you. It is my favorite game and if you have $20 lying around go and buy it. However it has a slightly repetitive nature to it, and the adventure mode could still use some work, but with the frequent updates it will most likely become more than just a sandbox game. Expand
  92. Sep 1, 2013
    If you're looking for a fun indie survival game then this is the game for you. Provides a nice challenge with a lot to learn about. Game is updates every couple of weeks or so, so new content can always be expected. Recently got good Mod Support from the Steam Workshop with a lot of fun mods to mess around with. Can be a bit buggy at times. If you die your save is deleted and you have toIf you're looking for a fun indie survival game then this is the game for you. Provides a nice challenge with a lot to learn about. Game is updates every couple of weeks or so, so new content can always be expected. Recently got good Mod Support from the Steam Workshop with a lot of fun mods to mess around with. Can be a bit buggy at times. If you die your save is deleted and you have to start from scratch, unless you find some of the ways to revive yourself before actually dying. Very helpful wiki and a good forum presence. All in all a good game if you're looking for a fun survival game to play. Expand
  93. Oct 23, 2013
    hi there I'm writing about don't starve a brilliant adventure/simulation. After many updates it has certainly improved from the day it came out on steam. In this game you will face some challenging enemy,obstacles and biomes, as I can see there is mixed opinions on this game and yes it dose have its flaws and it dose have its strengths.The point I'm trying to make here is that it is a gamehi there I'm writing about don't starve a brilliant adventure/simulation. After many updates it has certainly improved from the day it came out on steam. In this game you will face some challenging enemy,obstacles and biomes, as I can see there is mixed opinions on this game and yes it dose have its flaws and it dose have its strengths.The point I'm trying to make here is that it is a game that should be bought and should be enjoyed no matter who's playing it. so i give a 9 out of 10. Expand
  94. Dec 1, 2013
    An absolutely amazing experience. Don't Starve is by far, one of the most compelling games I have tried in a long time: addictive, beautifully done and mysterious. If you have tried the game, you'll surely have the same love for the cardboard-cutout art work, the same sensations of terror when the light goes out and the joy of surviving that I do. The only thing that could have made thisAn absolutely amazing experience. Don't Starve is by far, one of the most compelling games I have tried in a long time: addictive, beautifully done and mysterious. If you have tried the game, you'll surely have the same love for the cardboard-cutout art work, the same sensations of terror when the light goes out and the joy of surviving that I do. The only thing that could have made this game better, would be a multiplayer option.
    Love it!
  95. Dec 20, 2013
    It is true that after you find out how to change worlds, it may become monotone but still, I guarantee you that this game will give you at least 30 hours of fun, and that's really something in today's gaming industry.And it is very very important that you discover EVERYTHING by yourselves in this game I think discovering these thing, finding out how to survive by dying continuously isIt is true that after you find out how to change worlds, it may become monotone but still, I guarantee you that this game will give you at least 30 hours of fun, and that's really something in today's gaming industry.And it is very very important that you discover EVERYTHING by yourselves in this game I think discovering these thing, finding out how to survive by dying continuously is the most entertaining thing in this game.I say buy it! Expand
  96. Dec 19, 2013
    Very amazing game!! I love all the islands and you should really purchase this awesome game!!!!!

Lots of hard things to kill not to hard BESt GAME EVA
  97. Jun 12, 2014
    Эта игра,насколько я помню,в разработке с 3 квартала 2011 года.Тогда мне эта игра показалась какой-то простой и короткой.Сейчас я вам могу с уверенностью сказать,что она более чем оправдала все мои ожидания.Это игра просто хардкор. Это то,чего не хватает большинству новых игр,но там по мимо выживания и махания дубинкой целая куча возможностей,а также ты можешь сам выбрать как будешьЭта игра,насколько я помню,в разработке с 3 квартала 2011 года.Тогда мне эта игра показалась какой-то простой и короткой.Сейчас я вам могу с уверенностью сказать,что она более чем оправдала все мои ожидания.Это игра просто хардкор. Это то,чего не хватает большинству новых игр,но там по мимо выживания и махания дубинкой целая куча возможностей,а также ты можешь сам выбрать как будешь выживать: Построишь лагерь и плантациями,или быть кочевником.Выбор за вами.Это игра самый лучший Survival как по мне,но это также и прекрасный Адвенчур. Бегать по миру и исследовать его чертовски интересно.Ещё мне очень понравилось,что в Don't Starve где-то около десяти персонажей и каждый со своей способностью,что помогает вам выбрать "стиль жизни".Так что 10/10 Expand
  98. Jun 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply is very good, the game has a very characteristic art. His soundtracks are fun, and the gameplay is simply amazing, I advise everyone to buy this game will give hours and hours of entertainment! Expand
  99. Jul 15, 2014
    This game is fantastic, and is the very definition of roguelike. Even though it's already been released, it's still continually being worked on by the developers, in the form of the DLC and Don't Starve Together. I only have high hopes for further DLC, and for Don't Starve Together. The game is already great, however. Many compare it to Minecraft, though there are plenty of keyThis game is fantastic, and is the very definition of roguelike. Even though it's already been released, it's still continually being worked on by the developers, in the form of the DLC and Don't Starve Together. I only have high hopes for further DLC, and for Don't Starve Together. The game is already great, however. Many compare it to Minecraft, though there are plenty of key differences. Unlike other games, the developers listen to many of the community's suggestions on Klei Entertainment Forums. There's not much else to say about this incredible game. 10/10. Expand
  100. Zep
    Aug 12, 2014
    I am finding it very difficult why someone would hate this lovable game. It is truly an incredible experience that anyone of all ages and gender can enjoy. You start off as a mad scientist named Wilson, who has to survive in a harsh world filled with monsters and other beings. the goal of the game is to survive as long as you can. However if you do die, you lose all of your items and areI am finding it very difficult why someone would hate this lovable game. It is truly an incredible experience that anyone of all ages and gender can enjoy. You start off as a mad scientist named Wilson, who has to survive in a harsh world filled with monsters and other beings. the goal of the game is to survive as long as you can. However if you do die, you lose all of your items and are forced to reset the map, start over or just quit. However Wilson is not the only character. There is a large variety of characters with creative personalties. And on another topic, the graphics are extremely lovable and so is the catchy soundtrack. Good Job Klei Entertainment! Expand
  101. May 18, 2013

1. Jul 19, 2013
    Don’t Starve is a game for those who persevere. The infinitely playable survival RPG with an artsy appearance tests your endurance, but rewards players with a surprisingly unique experience.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    It's a game that just keeps giving, even as it tears your life from you. [Issue#136, p.110]
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    A refreshingly upfront experience, right down to the title. A game that shoves players into a complex, harsh world with little explanation, it can be tough to parse at first. But little by little, Don't Starve reveals itself via deep mechanics and an ever-evolving world. It started strong and got better.