8.3

1. Jun 5, 2013
    Don't Starve is a brilliant game in which you start out as a guy named wilson and you appear in the wilderness with a man named maxwell hinting you find food before it gets dark. You are left to fend for yourself in a natural survival game with animals that seem almost natural but some with a monsterous twist. Such as a plain old rabbit or the twisted deerclops you never know what to expect. The only minor criticism I have is that many new players are steered away from the game after dying after spending many hours with one character which can lead to some raging and smashing of computers :D Expand
  2. Jun 11, 2013
    Interesting game, I don't really have good words for it, but i loved the game, Its such a interesting type of game, survival and really open, i loved the game, i just don't give it a ten because it could use some good interesting story to make the best game ever, very cool.
  3. Jun 27, 2013
    It is amazing. The first game I actually bought on Steam in ages. Maybe I have a soft spot for games that are rougelike/survival/procedurally generated/whatever you want to call it, but I'm having loads of fun. I don't understand why everyone thinks it's repetitive, I've gotten through playthroughs of 60+ days and am still finding things to do. If you're just sitting at your base camp surviving, go exploring and find things you haven't seen before, that's what the game's about!

And the adventure mode! My God. It's challenging and captivating. Each level's harder than the rest. The ending is...terrifying.

The updates just keep coming as well. The devs are committed to the wellbeing of this game.

If you think you will enjoy it, you will. Buy it immediately. If you don't, you probably won't. Rougelikes aren't for everyone.
  4. Jul 15, 2013
    I absolutely adore this game! It captures the survival feeling that its name implies perfectly and figuring out the best ways to survive as and perfecting your own unique style is extremely addicting. I've heard people complain about the lack of a tutorial or even any hints as to what to do and all I have to say to that is, "OF COURSE NOT!" It's a survival game and all of the instructions you need are given right there in the title "Don't Starve." If you were to crash and be stuck in the wilderness, there's nobody there to hold your hand as you fight for your life. The fact that there is no indication on what can harm you just encourages the slow-paced survival mentality as the game continues to throw curveballs at you that you'd never expect. I only hope that the game continues to expand without losing its difficult survival roots. Expand
  5. Apr 29, 2013
    I haven't played it too much recently. but when i did it was good fun. i like the concept but i hope they keep the patches coming to make future improvements.
  6. Dec 31, 2013
    One of the most creative games I've ever played in my life. Imagine if Tim Burton, Minecraft and possibly Amnesia: The Dark Descent had a strange three-way kid. It's deeply interesting and too fun. The game can be very hard, but you're able to edit worlds to your liking and unlock new characters which adds more to the replay value.
  7. Nov 2, 2013
    Imagine you're trapped in a Tim Burton animation and the only thing you have to do is stay alive using the things around you. Yep. That's this. Borrowing heavily from the survival and crafting mechanics of the likes of minecraft, this wonderfully stylized game manages to carve a niche of its own in a genre that is starting to get a little crowded.
  8. Jul 15, 2013
    A great game. I only gave it a 9 because it lacks co-op (not multiplayer, but co-op with maximum 2-3 players).

It has almost everything a survival game needs, and it is growing still with constant patching (free of charge).

Most of the bad reviews are made by people that can`t cope with dying in games (permanent death) or with harsh environments that punish bad decisions and rewards
    intelligence.

A beautiful, challenging game. Do yourself a favor and buy this game, it is really that good.
  9. DQT
    Nov 25, 2013
    Pros: + Randomly generated worlds with varying resources and NPC's + The option to create custom worlds + Tons of items to harvest, craft, use and eat + Immense world to explore + Original and fitting art style + Great sound design and music + Immense replayability and depth + Supports mods + Frequent content updates + Gain experience after each death to unlock additional characters to play as; each character has their own passive abilities that changes the way you play

Cons:
    - Large learning curve with no in-game help or tutorials
    - Combat is frustrating and basic
    - The game is designed around grinding, and you'll never do anything but.

Summary: Despite the low budget, Don't Starve is an original take on the survival genre that's every bit as unpredictable as it is satisfying.

Who should by this game:
    * Gamers who like the survival genre; Minecraft, terraria etc.
    * Those who enjoy rogue-likes
    * Fans of Klei Entertainment
    * Gamers who enjoy a challenge
    * Fans of indie-games

Who shouldn't buy this game:
    * People who hate indie-games
    * People who enjoy casual games with easy gameplay
    * Those who prefer their games to have multiplayer components
    * Those who like fast-paced, twitch-based games as opposed to slower, cerebral games

Verdict: 8
  10. Jul 26, 2013
    The game is good overall, and it was very interested to play for 2 days. After that I got bored. Then another day of playing, and bored again. The good: - interesting art (I am not really a fan of this style myself, but still it's very cool) - great humor in many places (the sounds of the spiders attacking are excellent!). Really great humor - the game is done with style - i like that when you die you have to restart. I used to play ADOM a lot Actually, I expected a more difficult game after reading reviews, but Don't Starve is much easier than ADOM. I didn't even feel said when dying.
    The bad:
    - there is no wiki or any other info source inside the game. Namely, you have to jump into a wormhole and die so as to learn that wormholes kill you and you shouldn't jump into them. You have to die just because it got dark to learn that in darkness you die (wtf! this makes no sense) Same with most other stuff. I ended up just reading an inofficial wiki of the game to be able to understand most of the concepts. This is not a good sign at all! Sorry guys, but dying from something you couldn't even know is no fun.. It just teaches you that no matter what you do next time and no matter how good you play, you will die from something you didn't know until finally you have a feeling that it's pointless to keep repeating to just learn the game "the hard way" and quit.
    - combat is totally awkward. I died quite a few times just because I couldn't click precisely on a moving mob and the character would try to walk to the clicked spot instead of attacking the mob. Very frustrating. Actually, a SHIFT key should stop the character from moving and force a stationary attack, just like in Diablo 1.
    - no ranged weapons in the beginning of the game. I know, it's easier to make a spear than a bow, but there are lots of players like me who like ranged characters more than melee. You could make the bow a low damage weapon or introduce other disadvantage (limited arrows, slow reload time, low accuracy, whatever) but still let the player fight in his own style early.
    All in all, an artistically excellent game spoiled by bad combat system and lack of in-game help.
  11. Jun 30, 2013
    I have now played it for 72 hours this week. Its fantastic! I'm on a record (day 67) now, and i think i will survive forever now, but 100+ hours for a indie game is good!
  12. Jul 11, 2013
    Well, i have to say this game is a great survival game and has an interesting design and i love artistic games like this one. Personally i didn't complete the adventure mode yet but i plan to, to unlock the last characters and the best part of this game is that almost (if not) every month, Klei Entertainment release a new update with new and useful stuff and now mods are supported. There was only some disappointing things:
    1. Combat I didn't like the combat, the monsters just destroyed me, and i know that i didn't played that much to get great equipment but anyway, the enemies where to strong for me;
    2. Adventure mode I don't like the way it was done, not being able to carry your equipment through the worlds but i guess that raise the difficulty and challenge and the portal to travel between the worlds that need to be found and sometimes can't be found because your generated world is stupid and confusing.

But overall the survival aspects, the hunger and the design of the game are awesome and deserve a 8. Maybe in some months i would give it a 9 if we get even better updates and i'm really hopping for multiplayer that was a big disappointment for me that the game didn't had one. I'm hoping the PS4 version brings one.
  13. Jul 23, 2013
    Duh, too many to discover, too many, I don't know, too long died, but keep playing! Discover, craft, fight, eat, survive, collect, don't starve! I like it, hope you like it too!
  14. May 25, 2013
    Don't Starve is A very Great game i think, but it takes really long time too begin, and it bores me a bit, so i've only played it like 3 hours, but a good time-waster! So if you like Tim Burton Art, this is the game for you!
  15. Jul 15, 2013
    I was really pleasantly surprised by this game. It's a fantastic game if you enjoy trying to survive against all odds with no quest markers telling you where to go, no hand holding, no tutorial, just good old fashioned "figure it out yourself" gameplay. It's not overly complicated, it's really simple on the surface, but much more complex as you keep going and developing strategies to stay alive.

It reminds me very much of Minecraft survival mode, but in a much harsher world. I've already put many more hours into this $15 game than I have in my last three $60 games combined.
  16. Jul 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good game is from a good idea. Most people say that Don't Starve is similar to Minecraft. I must say yes, it is. But you don't have to say that it's a copy.

In this game, you have to pick your own food, your own material, build, mix., try new things, discover more, be ready to a new adventure every minute, never be stop, avoid the darkness. Sometimes I keep hours and hours doing the same thing: playing Don't Starve.

This is not a addicting game, but it is a nice game. I can fast feel tired of playing it because of the system of Don't Starve! Don't attack the shadows over there with low life! Don't be on the total darkness! I do like this game, but this little things make the game turns tiring.
  17. Jul 2, 2013
    This game has a very nice artistic drawings and game mechanics, it really make you fell confortable when playing. If you like surviving games like Minecraft, I'm sure you'll enjoy playing Don't Starve. Klei updates are frequent and always add some more content to the game. I own this game from the first beta release.
  18. Jul 2, 2013
    A pretty good game, very good survival game, and THOSE GODDAMN HOUNDS! The Hounds are just, goddamn. Might as well put an entire video out of how to not die from the hounds.
  19. Jul 3, 2013
    I feel like some reviewers on here did not understand what this game is about. It is about SURVIVAL. The game does not hold your hand and tell you "shh shh child chop down that tree". It throws you in to a fight, flight, or die situation. The game constantly forces you to put yourself out there and prepare for a world thats only purpose is to kill you. If you die, then you die. No retries. (Well there are some ways you can come back.) I've played the game since its alpha release and I'm glad to say that I got to see it grow into a full immersive game. Complete with world customization and constructable objects/buildings. The world and the soundtrack that goes along with it is a perfect fit. The art style the game has seems like a Tim Burton style with a little less creepy. It fits well with the game.

The survival game now also has a story with recent updates. I won't spoil anything but even though it may just seem like another survival game the story is actually very compelling and actually makes sense why you are where you are.

TL;DR

Dont Starve is an awesome survival game. Buy it. Lose many hours of your life.
  20. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is so fun! This game is survival hardcore game. Play like character willson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home. Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play it your own way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land. Expand
  21. Jul 14, 2013
    One of the best survival games, a mix between Minecraft and Terraria with a little bit of art. Great graphics and great soundtracks. There are a lot of things to do and the game is full of traps. There's a mystery behind the game, too, why is there that man at the beginning of each game? This will make you more wishful to finish the game.
  22. Jul 15, 2013
    First think before we start: if you like challenges, know how to learn from your mistakes and improve yourself, then we are ok and you should totally buy this game, but if you get angry easily and can't deal with making silly mistakes then go away.

This game will make you a Bear Gryll (piss not included), this game will throw you into the wild and you will have to show 'em who's the
    man, you may die on the way (many times) but once you know how to make a nice shelter you should be somewhat ok... till you die exploring, i highly recommend to set the game to only summer on the settings, this way you will learn more things and probably survive twice the days that you would on a normal world. Expand
  23. Jul 16, 2013
    I really like roguelike games, and this also has some of the crafting/exploring element that Terraria has, but this game is the dark to Terraria's light. While Terraria is fun, happy, and multiplayer, this game is fun but twisted and solitary.

Keep in mind the game is about survival, obviously, but you also will be crafting things, collecting resources, exploring and adventuring on a
    randomly made creepy island that slowly drives your character, as well as you the player insane, but in a good way. Expand
  24. Oct 30, 2013
    I have been playing this game since November last year off and on and I am really impressed how the developers improved the core gameplay and added new content. At the end it is about Wilderness Survival, which is a very interesting topic on its own, but Klei Entertainment added their own flavour which makes this game so great. Be it the art style, the easy controls and the overall feel of the game, this is something special. The core gameplay mechanics work very well and provide the basics to the success of Don't Starve. The game and its flow seem so natural that you think how noone before them had the idea to make that kind of game. I think it works very well and every new game you start is a new experience. Expand
  25. Aug 21, 2013
    I've been playing the game since it was on Early Access. I love the graphics, the tone and some gameplay aspects. This game is far from perfect, but it's really adorable and entertaining. Almost every 2 week there's a new update that adds features, objects, world animals and also characters. I think that in a year this game will get 1 more point if they add a multiplayer mode for 2 players.
  26. Aug 21, 2013
    A fun, cheap and rewarding game. A little bit of gather/eat/sleep grind but plenty there to keep you entertained for many hours. Might benefit from an RPG element as characters are a little 2-dimensional.
  27. Oct 15, 2013
    Don't Starve is truly a delightful game to play; The atmosphere and soundscape never fail to create a warm fuzzy (yet dark and macabre) feeling as you play. This being said, it is an inherently "grind" heavy game and most of your time will be spent performing repetitive tasks (or dying). Oddly enough of the hundreds of deaths I have experienced in this game I have yet to in fact Starve...so at least I followed the core imperative.

Once you have clawed your way to a position of security and there are no concerns for food, safety, or resources the game does start to feel a little dull and without challenge. Admittedly there are options within the game world generation phase that can make the game hellishly difficult, but even then the sense of accomplishment you first felt, on finally prototyping that item or figure out how to deal with that obstacle, never quite returns.

All in all a great game to play and I find myself often returning to it for an hour or two every once and a while but it lacks end-game motivation. Certainly happy that i bought it and certainly would encourage anybody who enjoys a little grind in their lives to buy it too.
  28. Feb 7, 2014
    In this game you get yourself spawned in the distant world where your aim is to survive (at least how its seems to me).

From my lives i died to wild bees trying to sack their hive, I ate wrong mushroom killing myself, I was killed by beefaloo when desperately trying to kill it to eat something or i'd die, i was eaten by wild dogs that came in the night to kill me, wild treant smacked me
    down when i burned half of the forest, I got lost in the dark and was killed by some demon, later I went insane and was killed by the shadow etc. etc. etc...

Its difficult, I keep dying but so far its still fun and I'm getting better. I heard rumors the winter is coming soon so now when I mastered staying alive in the summer I try to stockpile some food. Dunno if its going to be enough though. Because you never know what can happen next in this game :)

Worth the money for sure, and btw the visuals and animations are awesome.
  29. Nov 1, 2013
    Although the concept isn't exactly original, the execution is incredible enough to make it different from anything else that tries to do the same things. Don't Starve has a very memorable artstyle and very distinct playable characters that aren't difficult to remember. This game throws you in the middle of no where, where you are expected to make use of your environment in ways almost no other survival game does; in order to survive.

This game literally goes down to the roots, where twigs, plants, and grass are all very useful resources that you have to rely on in order to survive. Almost nothing is useless, and a lot of it is essential. You can catch animals using traps, catch insects using nets, and even slaughter mutants and monsters. There are many different types of enemies as well, to the point where you'll stumble upon enemies you've never seen before and have no idea how they will react to your presence, let-alone what loot they carry and what benefits you gain for defeating them. That is real survival. The survival aspect of this game goes incredibly in-depth, there's just so much to it.

Once you die, you're dead for good. Your save gets deleted and you have to start over. But have no fear, the game rewards you depending on how many days you survive by giving you experience points. These experience points are built toward unlocking new characters, which all have unique attributes that make the game play differently.

Although it's a little difficult, Don't Starve is an incredible survival game. If survival games are your cup of tea, this game is a must-have.
  30. Nov 5, 2013
    To all those who say there is no story, you obviously have not played enough. Inside the game there is an "adventure mode" which is basically story mode(and very challenging). I have logged well over 200 hours into this game and some of my best times were in the beginning when i had no idea what was coming next. The Developers are incredible. They put out over 6 months of content for free after the game was released. There will also be DLC in the future. This game has permadeath. If you cannot get over that fact, then this game is probably not for you. You WILL die. You WILL lose everything. That being said, that is my favorite aspect of the game. Expand
  31. Nov 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (Small Spoilers) I don't understand how such an amazing game could be so low on Metacritic. I would call it a unique, rouge like, top down, survival game. Every time you die, you come back more knowledgable of what can kill and hurt you. You collect things, craft things, and build things. I think the people who gave the game low ratings didn't explore the game enough. There are a bunch of different things you can do, such as befriending pig armies, digging up graves to find small things you can give to the pig king who will give you gold, hatching baby tallbirds, finding mandrakes, hunting the elephant-mouse thing, and surviving winter. I just named some things that take well over a few hours to do. Either the people who gave this game bad ratings didn't explore the game enough, or didn't play the game long enough. The winter takes a whole lot of (in-game) days to appear, giving you time to build up resources. The art-style makes the game even more magnificent, looking like a Tim Burton-ish design. This game deserves at least a 90, if not more. Expand
  32. Nov 9, 2013
    This game is a very fun, unique game and its defiantly worth getting! The art style is fantastic and every time you play is a different experience! This game does not get old quickly!
  33. Nov 29, 2013
    This game is fun within a few days it gets really repetitive and gets boring it's the same old concept pick grass, mine that, pick that up, trap that, and survive, and all just to survive winter.
  34. Dec 22, 2013
    This game blew my comfy house slippers right off my feet and into my fireplace, leaving me with my tootsies unacceptably exposed to the cold. Luckily the game is so absorbing I didn't notice.

Seriously, this game is that good. The music and graphics work together seamlessly to draw you into the bleak and desolate world. It's like playing through someone's waking nightmare as they
    stumble from one terrifying incident to another, just when things begin to seem settled something is sure to rattle your bones and leave you scrambling.

The gameplay may seem simple, but it's in that simplicity that it holds its charm. What might seem easy as first can quickly begin to seem like an enormous task as the burdens of living in the harsh land snowball onto your character and you can't keep up.

The perma-death feature of the game can make death a traumatizing experience as the character you've so lovingly built up and kept alive for so long has now found it's way to a lonely grave, at the same time it leaves your mind whirring as the cog's and gizmos in your head try to learn from your last play through so that you can survive longer in your next.

The re-playability is huge, there's always something to learn or do better the next time through. On top of that if you decide you'd prefer things a bit different from time to time there's always a huge selection of mods available for the game that offer a wide selection of features. Things as simple as adding in a new playable character based on the Heavy from Team Fortress 2 or changing the rules of how the game work can really spice up the gameplay.

So, really give this game a go if you're into moody, strategic, action packed games that leave you twitching at every movement on the screen. It's my top pick of the year!
  35. Jan 13, 2014
    A great game with a brand new concept that will, however, requieres time to adapt for the beginner. In fact, most of the time, the first games are conclude with a quick death...
    The art design is really beautiful, very inspired, and even if we can't talk about a proper story, the atmosphere create by the world and the creatures, and the possibility of finding an adventure mode, allowed
    us to be truly fascinated by the destiny of our character.
    Strongly addicitve, especially when we begin to have a powerfull equipement, the only default I can see is the impossibility of keeping trace of our best games. When our character die, we have to roll up again and restart from the beginning, which can be really disappointing when we made a good game.
  36. Mar 5, 2014
    Marvelous. Although somewhat repetitive the game is exciting in its challenging state. Its cartoon like graphics are appealing to its subject matter. The game has a high level of re playability and its content seems to be growing due to a great community of players.
  37. Apr 3, 2014
    It seems like most (but not all) reviewers who rate this gem badly, only rate it so low because they don't understand the game. So here is my experience.
    After playing almost 48 hours of the game (not in one go) i am still really enjoying Don't Starve. The art style is , yes fantastic for the genre and the gameplay mechanics are simple but yet satisfying. You start off in the middle of
    know where, on a large map of various biomes. The aim is to craft and survive the various threats in the game. Starvation, annual attacks from beasts, insanity, the darkness, flood, lightning, karma and other various things in the game can all kill you at any point, the game truly makes you feel vulnerable but does add in few ways to feel safe with friendly mobs and respawn points. Yes it is permadeath, but the game saves at points so you don't have to play until you die. You can craft respawn items to revive yourself and there are endless amounts of items you can craft which i haven't even touched half of them yet and i have played for hours and hours! After reaching day 100 i was still finding new parts of the game, survival and adventure mode exist with the main goal to escape the world. This game does have a story!
    Yes you could say it gets repetitive in cycles due to summer, winter and secret seasons but patience and and open mind is always a good thing in video games.
    Overall i think this game is fantastic and a great new fresh breath of air from other games in the new survival/crafting genre. Would definitely recommend and without a doubt is worth the price.
    P.S The new DLC is amazing! But i review that on the page
  38. Apr 8, 2014
    To be honest, this has got to be one of my favorite games. It's like Terraria and Minecraft mixed into one whole Tim Burton-esque awesomeness. 10/10. Amazing.
  39. Apr 15, 2014
    Игра очень интересная, с приятным графическим оформлением, хардкорная. Но есть одна у неё проблемка, после того как вас убили в игре, начинают заново единицы, т.к. это очень расстраивает! Столько сил ты вложил в этот сеанс, а тут БАЦ, и всё... оценка 10/10 за хардкорность и графику
    ПРЕДУПРЕЖДЕНИЕ! МУЛЬТИПЛЕЕРА НЕТ И ДЕЛАТЬ ЕГО НЕ СОБИРАЮТСЯ! на заметку
  40. Jul 30, 2013
    I bought this because I loved the art style. I didn't think I'd like the rogue aspect (permadeath), but it quickly grew on me. I personally don't care for Minecraft (compared to a lot), this game feels very different. While there is resource gathering, there is always a strategic aspect where you need to balance different needs and use your time effectively. Because of that it never feels like grinding. I keep finding more depth to both the crafting and the world itself too, so after 20 or so hours I'm far from bored. Easily my favorite game of the year, thanks to Don't Starve I was able to take a proper break from League of Legends! Expand
  41. Nov 20, 2013
    Can a game be good and bad at the same time? To me, Don't Starve fills both roles and leaves me with mixed feelings. This game is fun the first few play through's. You're learning and adapting and dying and all the while it's fun and rewarding. Then you survive your first winter and realize there really isn't much more to the game beyond finding food everyday and picking saplings and grass. On my 2nd play through I survived 72 days and ended up committing suicide because the game had lost all meaning.

The problem is not that the game is bad. The problem is that the game looses it's reward system once you grasp the basics of it. The mood of the game is great, the setting is nice, the art style is spot on, but once you've played for a few hours the wonder ceases. If we look at Minecraft's rewards, yes you spend hours grinding away, mining blocks, but then you turn them into works of art and mechanical systems only limited by your minds eye. If we look at Unreal World, you spend months hauling logs and barely catching enough fish to survive. When you finally get your log cabin built and you spend the first night sleeping, not in a lean to, but a house you built with your own hands and sweat you feel like you really accomplished something.

Compare that with Don't Starve where you are not able to built a real house, only walls and a floor. No door or bed is included in the crafting recipes. No place to call home. You can make a bed roll that's only good for one night and leaves your overly starving. Or you could build a tent, at a fairly high cost to silk, that only lasts for 6 uses and leaves you begging for food. Yes, sleeping punishes you by making you nearly starve to death. Apparently sleep increases your metabolism five fold. Most nights you will find yourself, waiting till daylight, around a campfire just wasting IRL time.

All that being said, there is a great game here. It's fun to play, even if it's just for a few hours at a time. There is great potential within it's construct. I really hope the developers continue to expand and provide more rewards to players. At this time I can't suggest buying the game full price. If you find it for under $10 then consider it, otherwise just put this on your wishlist and check back in a year's time to see how it's progressed.
  42. Jul 28, 2013
    This is a great game that I'd recommend to anyone, particularly those who enjoy survival horror. The basic premise is that the game is a survival game with a focus on hunger, that, once you die, your world is erased and you must start again. There are many ways to avoid this fate, but ultimately you will die or decide to start a new world.

The overall mechanics of the game fit
    brilliantly together. It might seem frustrating to lose a character and world, but the more engaging parts of the game are the exploration, construction and attempts to survive. Dying means you have a chance to start again, taking your past mistakes into account. You construct, craft and collect, like in many current survival games, but don't expect some Minecraft survival clone because of the presence of a pickaxe. Once you get past the basics, like cutting trees, the game veers off in a widely different direction, focusing on your hunger, sanity and health, and not building pretty constructs. Combat is not one of the game's strong points, and you will have to fight monsters at some point. Most combat can be avoided, but at some point you will have to fight to advance and survive.

This game has an art style that suits the style of the game. Rather than try to make the strange creatures fit into some realistic art style, they have decided to go with a "weird and dark" art style that is somewhat reminiscent of a cartoon. If it seems pretentious or silly to you, try to look past that. Once you get into the game you'll appreciate it. A standard art style for modern survival horror games would look cheap and uninspired if used in Don't Starve.

The usage of sound really amplifies the feelings of loneliness, danger and creepiness that the game will put you through, as well as giving you clear indictation of state, overall creating an immersive atmosphere.

Don't Starve is a fun, immersive, engaging game that lives up to both the title and the reviews. Like many other modern indie games this game does not have a tutorial or a definitive guide. A lot of the negative reviews for Don't Starve focus on this, or are a result of it. Do yourself a favour and spend the first few hours playing without a guide, and once you've learned all you can without the Wiki, start using it. You'll be surprised how much you can learn without a guide as long as you're aiming to learn.
  43. Aug 2, 2014
    Don't Starve is a game crammed with polish and creativity. The art and atmosphere are brilliant. Unfortunately, the game eventually lost me with its tedious foraging system. There are so many fun and original things you can do in this game, but it takes an absurd amount of grinding to get to those things. If the foraging was actually a challenge, the rewards might feel worth the grind, but the foraging is not challenging, just busy work. I would have put a lot more time into this game if the recipes required fewer ingredients. However, I feel like I must not be exactly the target audience, so for what it is trying to be, Don't Starve succeeds. Expand
  44. Oct 29, 2013
    The art style, the humor, the charm, the sometimes brutal cruelty that the game slaughters you with horribly. The replay, the gameplay, The bitter winter chill that runs down your spine as you starve to death half insane during the winter. This game I fell in love with immediately, And honestly was the only game I played for almost a week after I got it.
    The game is not perfect, and is
    really I personally feel a niche genre game..though survival horror kinda games seem to be far more popular nowadays. But there in lies the problem as I think this is either a game you love or hate once again completely depending on if you like horror like survival games. And with that in mind its a hard game to recommend.
    Regardless my score is higher then I would probably normally rate it simply because of the games personality. I love so many thing about this game the art and the humor especially it just makes it different. And that has to count for something, the smile it keeps putting on my face certainly does.
  45. Jul 30, 2014
    This game is quite hard in the beginning until you get the grasp of it. I played many hours of it until it started to haunt my dreams. I was literally playing it through the night so I had to stop and unistall it. But really it is a great game. Damn the hounds!
  46. Jun 22, 2014
    This game isn't for me, too much time investment and grinding for very little reward. I've never been a fan of rogue-like games so if you're reading this review and you tend not to like rogue like games you might want to pass.

If you do like rogue like games and wish they had crafting then hey, this is probably going to be a great game for you. I'll stick with
    Terraria/Starbound/Minecraft/etc. to fill my sandbox needs which are in my opinion superior to this game in every way. There are way more 10's given to this game than it deserves. Expand
  47. Nov 30, 2013
    This game is great combination of survival and fantasy. It puts you in a world in which everyone struggles to survive. I think that the depth of this game is impressive and one will not discover everything in any number of worlds. I do find the perma-death frustrating at the beginning, but after i learned what i was doing it was a pretty entertaining game. The gameplay and world are dynamic enough to keep me hooked to it for quite a few hours, and running low on food or other resources keeps adrenaline flowing, which i find impressive in a survival game. Expand
  48. Jul 14, 2014
    Great survival game. Like playing the life of Jeremiah Johnson in the dream world of Tim Burton. The developers continue to support it and bring new content, Co-Op MULTIPLAYER IS COMING! Also easily mod-able, lots of mods on KLEI's forums, and now Steam Workshop!
  49. Apr 3, 2014
    Don't starve is nice little game with very unique look & feel. It's immersing, addicting and has tons of stuff to do and explore. The basic idea is to gather/produce resources and upgrade your camp in order to survive in wilderness.

The main problem is that this game becomes very repetitive after a while. The way to success is basically just to gather and build as much stuff as possible
    which isn't all that entertaining in the long run. Also when you die, you really die and have to start from the beginning (with few exceptions). And then you have to do same steps all over again...

Still, you'll probably get more fun out of this than from many other titles. The game is also quite cheap so you're guaranteed to get at least your money's worth.
  50. Aug 2, 2013
    Następna po Minecraft'cie (i Terrari)tak dobra gra survivalowa. Rozbudowana, ciekawa klimatycznie, posiadająca wiele ciekawych pomysłów gra survivalowa. Pomimo tego że jest ona ogólnie uważana za idealną, według mojej opinii ma parę wad. Sam świat jest za mało rozbudowany, jest wręcz "nudny". Graficznie też nie zaskakuje(Minecraft na przykład ma system rozwalania terenu). Jest to jednak wciąg tytuł w który naprawdę powinno się zagrać.
    Moja ocena 8/10
  51. Apr 17, 2014
    Don't starve + Dlc Reign of Giants is one of the best survival funny games i have ever tried. Goods and Foods: + original ways of survival + original and somehow sinister characters + no hand holding to the bathroom, son (the game will biatch slap you for mistakes) + your main and only goal is to survive and have fun (well unlocking new characters may be a goal too) + technology and magic working as one (yes this is not a warhammer game, son)
    + good 2D art and graphics
    + mods makes gameplay better
    +enjoyable sounds and soundtracks (just listen to Weiber)
    + good single player mission story

Bads and goofs:
    - really hard to master (way too much ways to die)
    - some level of grinding and repetitive tasks, that some people will not enjoy
    - don't read the wikipedia if you like nasty surprises
    - if you die (and don't have any means of ressurection) GAME TOTAL OVER ( you have to start from the begining of the main menu)
    - OOO THE IRONY... to wave of updates (7-14 days) gives new gameplay and fixes and you have to start a new game every time, if you want to enjoy them.
  52. Aug 21, 2013
    Don't starve is easily one of the best games i played in a very long time.
    Not starving is a difficult task where you must "multitask" your gameplay to achieve all elements necessary to your survival.
    The game offers various environments and a lot of different resources to handle,with whom you can build more or less complex tools that may aid you in your journey.
    Surely one of the best
    indie games i played.
    This is not a 10 just because i don't think it's totally perfect.
  53. Sep 1, 2013
    Don't Starve, a game built around a simple concept not starving that is executed very well. It personally took me a while to get into but there is quite a bit of content there to play with and with frequent updates and some nice mods thanks to the Steam Workshop now available it keeps me coming back. Unlike some games Don't Starve never loses its key element; even when you have a nice base set up you'll still be having trouble with not starving. Expand
  54. Aug 23, 2013
    I loved everything about this game! I love the artwork, the gameplay the sound board! Hell i even made this account so I could rate it! It's a fun learn-how-to-play-yourself game (I recommend a quick trip to the wiki for the basics) where you survive and thrive through day and night, summer and winter, or even combat starvation and wild animals! It has many different characters you can choose from to suit your play style, and even a comedy one for the "hardcore" players who want a challenge. And with the ability to choose what spawn in your world and how it's created, this game can have you set a custom difficulty to help or challenge you. It is my favorite game and if you have $20 lying around go and buy it. However it has a slightly repetitive nature to it, and the adventure mode could still use some work, but with the frequent updates it will most likely become more than just a sandbox game. Expand
  55. Sep 1, 2013
    If you're looking for a fun indie survival game then this is the game for you. Provides a nice challenge with a lot to learn about. Game is updates every couple of weeks or so, so new content can always be expected. Recently got good Mod Support from the Steam Workshop with a lot of fun mods to mess around with. Can be a bit buggy at times. If you die your save is deleted and you have to start from scratch, unless you find some of the ways to revive yourself before actually dying. Very helpful wiki and a good forum presence. All in all a good game if you're looking for a fun survival game to play. Expand
  56. Dec 21, 2013
    This is a game I want to like the art's good, the sound's good, but nothing can help the horrible core mechanic. You click on things on the ground, and pick them up. For hours. It's incredibly dull. Once in a while, you'll run into a horrible monster that instakills you. Then you start all over.

Because the core mechanic is so bad, you can't help but notice the other flaws that pop up
    all over the place. Why doesn't the game just pause while I read the crafting recipes? How come when I chop apart a gold vein, the gold sometimes gets hidden under a worthless flint? When I cut down a tree, why do the logs always land "behind" another tree, so I have to rotate the screen or cut down the other tree to get them? When I'm running away from a horrible monster, why does my character always try to stop and cut down trees instead? etc. etc.

These minor frustrations bring down an already poor game to being a terrible game.

Overhyped, overpriced.
  57. Oct 23, 2013
    hi there I'm writing about don't starve a brilliant adventure/simulation. After many updates it has certainly improved from the day it came out on steam. In this game you will face some challenging enemy,obstacles and biomes, as I can see there is mixed opinions on this game and yes it dose have its flaws and it dose have its strengths.The point I'm trying to make here is that it is a game that should be bought and should be enjoyed no matter who's playing it. so i give a 9 out of 10. Expand
  58. Nov 5, 2013
    This is a tamed Minecraft within the mind of Tim Burton. Although it is a sort of pretty game during the game, at night it becomes a dark world where fire is your best friend. It makes you feel accomplished during a successful night, but once you die you feel like you're a failure.
  59. Dec 1, 2013
    An absolutely amazing experience. Don't Starve is by far, one of the most compelling games I have tried in a long time: addictive, beautifully done and mysterious. If you have tried the game, you'll surely have the same love for the cardboard-cutout art work, the same sensations of terror when the light goes out and the joy of surviving that I do. The only thing that could have made this game better, would be a multiplayer option.
    Love it!
  60. Dec 20, 2013
    It is true that after you find out how to change worlds, it may become monotone but still, I guarantee you that this game will give you at least 30 hours of fun, and that's really something in today's gaming industry.And it is very very important that you discover EVERYTHING by yourselves in this game I think discovering these thing, finding out how to survive by dying continuously is the most entertaining thing in this game.I say buy it! Expand
  61. Dec 8, 2013
    I feel Don't Starve plays itself in 4 experiences of play. So I don't spoil anything, I won't go into too much details. Then again, a game like this doesn't really have "spoilers," considering everything you can do in the game is basically spelled out in the game creation mode.

When I first started, the struggle was making it through the night. "Oh great," I thought, "This is one of
    those "man I survived a whole 3 days in the horror" games where I brag about how hard it is. No thank you. Once I discovered how to start a fire and if you'll forgive the cliche, "didn't starve," the game became about figuring out how to build a settlement and where.

Once I found that out, it became a combination of Harvest Moon and aspects of Dwarf Fortress (admittedly, much simpler than each). So, I was out hunting for the essential materials to make my perfect hovel where I could survive basically any encounter. Again, I won't spoil it, but there were several times when I was definitely caught off guard by the game introducing a new challenge. The whole "Once you die, you're dead, restart" aspect became especially frustrating here, especially when you can survive 40-50 days without as much as a scratch, only for an unexpected monster to end you with relative ease.

This entered the 3rd phase: efficiency! I didn't need to get 50 of each item to survive, I could survive with far less. Heck, I could make multiple homes if I need to... there's plenty of resources if I know where to look. And I've now found a way to survive even if I get killed. I found more efficient foods, I can kill any monster that comes my way, and what's this adventure mode and cave mode I keep hearing about? I better check this out!

And now I'm exploring caves and what's beneath caves, trying to find the final guy, unlocking every character, working through the challenges of adventure mode, and realizing that I've logged over 100 hours in this game already. Wait a minute, isn't this a casual indie game? Isn't this one of those things where I can just sit down for 20 minutes and be satisfied?

If you're expecting casual, this is not your game. If you're looking for something that has the crafting and exploration complexity of Minecraft, but much more scaled down, then this may satisfy. I found myself often wanting to do more, and the exploration aspect only satisfies for a while. But like I said, I've put over 100 hours into this game, so it's doing something right... even if I've put it down out of boredom several times as well.
  62. Dec 19, 2013
    Very amazing game!! I love all the islands and you should really purchase this awesome game!!!!!

Lots of hard things to kill not to hard BESt GAME EVA
  63. Jun 13, 2014
    First the good. The cel-shaded cartoonish art style is timeless and very merciful on older PCs. The character and level progression feels natural and fulfilling. The updates are constant; smaller patches are free. Now the bad. Roughly 95% of this game is a grind. You need to eat? Go find berries. Or craft a trap and hunt a rabbit. How do you craft a trap? You'll need branches and grass. Each of those actions has an obnoxious animation and that hunger meter is ticking all the while. Along with half a dozen other meters; failing to fulfill any one of which leads do death. Which is permanent, by the way.

This is the type of game that will screw you over each chance it gets. Your options are to accept you're going to be dying all the time or play with the wiki open on your second monitor. You didn't know you needed an absurdly rare and difficult to obtain machine at the start of Summer? Too bad, your entire base just went up in smoke, along with the last 10 hours of your life. You're seeing the giant one-eyed monster for the first time? Better restart, the game might as well be over with no food and no fire mid-winter.

There are options to resurrect upon death but they're few and generally have a hefty cost attached to them. A meat effigy will reduce your max health by a sizeable amount while life amulets are costly, reduce your efficiency while worn and break easily. Even worse, preparation takes time which turns an already very grindy game into one long, painful nightmare with nothing but a "Game Over" screen as a reward.
  64. Apr 29, 2014
    A great game to play on the go. It's fun and addicting, I recommended this game to anyone who wants to have great time for a couple of hours. It feels like Minecraft but it's not and thats a go thing.
    I give this game 8 out of 10.
  65. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    Do you like finding new things? Do you fancy the idea of no hand-holding? But do you hate starting all over again if you made a fatal mistake? Also do you hate grinding & repetition? But not the
    kind of grinding where you are furious of having to go through the same things again but the kind where you feel you are going somewhere & want to continue deeper?

If you answered 'Yes' to all of these questions then this game is for you.
  66. Jun 5, 2014
    This game is super addictive. I was really into it about a year ago, and now that the new DLC has come out I've been back into it again.

It's tough to master; learning how to efficiently balance your time, juggling different tasks. Doing scientific research allows you to build better, more efficient things leaving you with more time to get things done and live more comfortably. If you
    don't plan ahead you won't be prepared for the challenges presented by the upcoming seasons, and unscheduled attacks mean you need to be on your toes, ready to defend yourself at a moment's notice.

This is a very harsh survival game, especially when you're just learning to play. Once you die you start all over again, which can be frustrating. You can be 100 days in, marveling at all you've accomplished, and in one fell swoop it's all gone. It takes a lot of practice (and unfortunately, at times, some grinding) to survive long enough to explore the more advanced features. There is a lot to see, and when you can get there it's rewarding.

As unforgiving as the game is, it retains a good sense of humor and whimsy, and shows and appreciation for the absurd. Paper cut out style artwork like this has been done before, but the twisted and surreal style fits the tone of the game nicely.

Highly addictive and very fun. I love this game.
  67. Jun 10, 2014
    Muy interesante apuesta por la gestión de recursos y supervivencia, un ámbito que empieza a estar de moda. La sensación de mundo abierto y narrativa expansiva le da profundidad.
  68. Jun 12, 2014
    Эта игра,насколько я помню,в разработке с 3 квартала 2011 года.Тогда мне эта игра показалась какой-то простой и короткой.Сейчас я вам могу с уверенностью сказать,что она более чем оправдала все мои ожидания.Это игра просто хардкор. Это то,чего не хватает большинству новых игр,но там по мимо выживания и махания дубинкой целая куча возможностей,а также ты можешь сам выбрать как будешь выживать: Построишь лагерь и плантациями,или быть кочевником.Выбор за вами.Это игра самый лучший Survival как по мне,но это также и прекрасный Адвенчур. Бегать по миру и исследовать его чертовски интересно.Ещё мне очень понравилось,что в Don't Starve где-то около десяти персонажей и каждый со своей способностью,что помогает вам выбрать "стиль жизни".Так что 10/10 Expand
  69. Jun 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply is very good, the game has a very characteristic art. His soundtracks are fun, and the gameplay is simply amazing, I advise everyone to buy this game will give hours and hours of entertainment! Expand
  70. Jul 2, 2014
    Don't Starve - If you see the game for the first time, it looks fun, graphics and simple and nice, idea is good. It's seriously true.

Don't Starve will be very fun for everyone who likes survival games. You will have to check your hunger, sanity and health, and to balance everything, you will have to eat, as the title says: don't starve. Some food makes you be less hungry, some makes
    you be less sane(you can also see ghosts if you are not sane enough), etc. etc... That's not everything. There is also day-night cycle, summer-winter cycle, the game gets really harder and harder as you keep surviving so be prepared! There is also many characters with unique aspects to unlock as you survive, so the content is huge.

BUT... At the beginning, you will probably keep dying, then you go play again and find more content, then you die again, start again, find more content, die again, start again, die again... The game gets BORING more and more, because you make something wrong and you have to start again this whole process.
    LUCKILY... There is a Steam workshop, and if you get really bored, go find something that fixes your mood.

7/10 Try not to starve...
  71. Jul 15, 2014
    This game is fantastic, and is the very definition of roguelike. Even though it's already been released, it's still continually being worked on by the developers, in the form of the DLC and Don't Starve Together. I only have high hopes for further DLC, and for Don't Starve Together. The game is already great, however. Many compare it to Minecraft, though there are plenty of key differences. Unlike other games, the developers listen to many of the community's suggestions on Klei Entertainment Forums. There's not much else to say about this incredible game. 10/10. Expand
  72. Zep
    Aug 12, 2014
    I am finding it very difficult why someone would hate this lovable game. It is truly an incredible experience that anyone of all ages and gender can enjoy. You start off as a mad scientist named Wilson, who has to survive in a harsh world filled with monsters and other beings. the goal of the game is to survive as long as you can. However if you do die, you lose all of your items and are forced to reset the map, start over or just quit. However Wilson is not the only character. There is a large variety of characters with creative personalties. And on another topic, the graphics are extremely lovable and so is the catchy soundtrack. Good Job Klei Entertainment! Expand
  73. Sep 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is amazing, Picking up carrots.. Building a Trap out of Twigs and Grass then catching rabbit with it! This is just some of the great realistic survival skills you need too survive in this game! You can build Machines too make better things! And endless days of Survival against monsters, winter and everything else in the world as you spawn, And that's just without mods! Expand

1. Jul 19, 2013
    Don’t Starve is a game for those who persevere. The infinitely playable survival RPG with an artsy appearance tests your endurance, but rewards players with a surprisingly unique experience.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    It's a game that just keeps giving, even as it tears your life from you. [Issue#136, p.110]
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    A refreshingly upfront experience, right down to the title. A game that shoves players into a complex, harsh world with little explanation, it can be tough to parse at first. But little by little, Don't Starve reveals itself via deep mechanics and an ever-evolving world. It started strong and got better.