Don't Starve PC

8.3

1. Apr 28, 2013
    If your a fan of survivalist games, this should be in your steam library. It offers what you can expect from a survival game and makes you really think about your characters survival. You start by getting plunged into a new different world with no idea what's going on. Collecting resources, food and anything else needed for your survival. Every time you start a new world you learn a newIf your a fan of survivalist games, this should be in your steam library. It offers what you can expect from a survival game and makes you really think about your characters survival. You start by getting plunged into a new different world with no idea what's going on. Collecting resources, food and anything else needed for your survival. Every time you start a new world you learn a new thing about the game and a new way of fighting for survival.
    The art style of this game only makes it better, the cartoon look to the plants, monsters and the rest of the world only makes me love this game more.

A great game and a must buy!
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't starve gives no tutorial, it punishes every mistake and hardly rewards you when you do good.
    In other words, it is a rouge like. A survival-adventure rouge like.
    No, a BRILLIANT survival-adventure rouge like with a spiffing art style and sounds.
    Everything can kill you, nothing is easy and the world keeps throwing horrifying monsters and other dangers at you; Yet it never feels unfair, you can kill the monsters, you can get out of the traps, you can survive.
    And that's not all, there are five other characters to unlock who all have their own set of powers, stats and personality's.
    And I must say, the characters are so well made that they feel like real people.
    But that's just survival mode.
    There's a door hidden somewhere in the world, a doorway to adventure.
    What lies beyond is a set of five extremely difficult levels that does everything in its power to stop you from reaching the next level.
    It may sound hard, impossible, even, but it's the only way to get to unlock the last two characters and to find Maxwell and find out the secret of the world you are stuck in...

And as the game is still receiving regular content patches everything above will improve in every way.

TL;DR: Don't starve is hard but fair with tons of content and I highly recommend it to all fans of the survival genre.
  3. Apr 30, 2013
    I think this game is amazing. It is very fun, and I almost never get tired of it. It's true it can get repetitive but only in the middle because now with the new winter stuff something new happens about every 20 days. Also with games like these its hard to give a review because it may not look as good as the big title games, but it has way more re playability, and its cheaper. I wouldI think this game is amazing. It is very fun, and I almost never get tired of it. It's true it can get repetitive but only in the middle because now with the new winter stuff something new happens about every 20 days. Also with games like these its hard to give a review because it may not look as good as the big title games, but it has way more re playability, and its cheaper. I would give it an 8.5 if I could because its can get a little boring but over all its really fun. Expand
  4. Apr 30, 2013
    Excellent Game Also Enjoyed Getting Team Fortress items, This Was a very simple game but put into a aspect that i never really Sean before. The Survival Actions will hook you in into a new world full Of Monsters, And Survival, This Is a very good game,
  5. Ndi
    May 3, 2013
    A compact game, very addictive, very few bugs, quite nice time waster, quick to load and play and no major annoyances.

A well deserved 9. I'd say 10, but it's a bit expensive for such a game that could have been a free flash game with little difference. As it will drop in price, most likely, soon (this review is about a week after release), I warmly recommend it.
  6. May 5, 2013
    This game might seem silly first, but it's far from it anyone who loved Minecraft will definitely love this

The game's art is refreshing and it's dark humor is even better. Game utilizes crafting system that's extremely basic compared to Minecraft but it seems to be best that way. You need to build "Science machines" to research for magic, armors weapons etc. When it's night

The game's art is refreshing and it's dark humor is even better.

You need to build "Science machines" to research for magic, armors weapons etc.

When it's night time you need to build a fire and stay near it otherwise a giant invisible monster gets you,

Overall, this game is a refreshing change it knows how to keep you entertained through the game with the weather changes AND with the sanity/food bar system.
  7. May 6, 2013
    Great game. It takes the survival aspect and just makes it full on crazy. There's great monsters to kill and a whole lot of machines along the way to help you, most importantly DON'T STARVE.
  8. May 7, 2013
    Been playing this game for quite some time. Absolutely brilliant. It never gets old, and it's constantly being updated.

-Majeye of Majeye Gaming
  9. May 10, 2013
    I've been paying attention to this game for a long time, and was always on the fence about buying it or not. I finally decided to buy it after much debating with myself and i'm very happy to announce that it was a brilliant purchase! The game is a very interesting and challenging game with really unique graphics amongst other things that really make it stand out. My favourite part aboutI've been paying attention to this game for a long time, and was always on the fence about buying it or not. I finally decided to buy it after much debating with myself and i'm very happy to announce that it was a brilliant purchase! The game is a very interesting and challenging game with really unique graphics amongst other things that really make it stand out. My favourite part about this title is the lack of instructions (what can I say, dying over and over really gets me addicted to a game) and am enjoying figuring out different things about the game. It has yet to feel repetitive during the time I have been playing as every game/round/life (however you consider it) I have tried something different, something that will hopefully let me last just that little while longer and I can honestly recommend this game to anyone who really is looking for a survival game, and to a degree a horror as well. Playing this game can go from relaxing to stressful in one simple event and I love the fact that a game can keep me on my toes like this. Overall, if you want a fun, unique and interesting survival horror (horror can be subjective to the person playing, I personally find it to be gripping at times) I highly recommend you pick up this game! Expand
  10. May 11, 2013
    Don't Starve is easy to pick up and start, and is continually becoming more and more complex as features are added. You have to stay on your toes to survive and a simple mistake can be the end of it. Currently have played it for 20 hours, but I'll sure be playing more!
  11. May 15, 2013
    This is absolutely not a game that will hold your hand. There is no tutorial period and when you die, you start over. It's old school like that, almost as if it's a remastered game from the golden age of Nintendo. The difficulty in progressing through your first in game year of play will frustrate and turn a lot of people off, but the satisfaction in independently solving the myriadThis is absolutely not a game that will hold your hand. There is no tutorial period and when you die, you start over. It's old school like that, almost as if it's a remastered game from the golden age of Nintendo. The difficulty in progressing through your first in game year of play will frustrate and turn a lot of people off, but the satisfaction in independently solving the myriad challenges relentlessly thrust upon your character in this hostile world is exhilarating.

Yeah, you should try not to starve. But honestly, the ever present threat of starvation is hardly the greatest obstacle to your character's survival. Maintaining sanity amidst violent monsters both real and imagined, protecting yourself from the harsh climate, even escaping the lethal darkness of night provide more than enough of a challenge for those willing to put in the work it takes to discover this surprisingly large world.

I've had an absolute blast with this game, expecting to play only around 15 hours. I've now logged 70+. A survival management simulation at it's core, this game really can't be much better for it's price. So don't starve, but really, watch out for those Hell Hounds.
  12. May 18, 2013
    This game has a very nice art style,a little bit of cartoonish but it's fine to me.The enemies in this game are just perfect and really scary.The first time i saw a spider i got goosebumps all over my body.I like the characthers,especially Wilson.I love that after every 4th day(i think)his beard grows up for a bit.The maker of this game made a pretty good work.The only thing that annoys meThis game has a very nice art style,a little bit of cartoonish but it's fine to me.The enemies in this game are just perfect and really scary.The first time i saw a spider i got goosebumps all over my body.I like the characthers,especially Wilson.I love that after every 4th day(i think)his beard grows up for a bit.The maker of this game made a pretty good work.The only thing that annoys me is the camera angle.I hate that when i chop trees there is a wood on the other side,and i just have to click q or r to turn the camera.But overall great experience! 9/10 Expand
  13. May 20, 2013
    Don't Starve is a survival game etched in challenge. I rather enjoy challenging games, as that is what drew me to this game. If you hate repetitive games (like all games), then don't get it. This is a game not about finding a way to escape your situation, but to instead survive long enough that you can find a way out. Odds are, you will not accomplish this task on your first go. PossiblyDon't Starve is a survival game etched in challenge. I rather enjoy challenging games, as that is what drew me to this game. If you hate repetitive games (like all games), then don't get it. This is a game not about finding a way to escape your situation, but to instead survive long enough that you can find a way out. Odds are, you will not accomplish this task on your first go. Possibly not even after you have played for several days. The game sets it's rules: 1) Don't take what is not yours; 2) Many things are docile until you attack; and 3) Don't starve.
    The game follows these rules to the end: there is no way around it.
  14. May 22, 2013
    Don't Starve is a 2D/3D game where the objective is to survive. Although the game is called Don’t Starve, that is the least of your worries in this game. This game has permanent death implemented which I do like, but it can be really annoying to say you have put a lot of hours into a world and it all goes away with in a blink of an eye. However you can prevent this by either playing itDon't Starve is a 2D/3D game where the objective is to survive. Although the game is called Don’t Starve, that is the least of your worries in this game. This game has permanent death implemented which I do like, but it can be really annoying to say you have put a lot of hours into a world and it all goes away with in a blink of an eye. However you can prevent this by either playing it safe or getting enough materials to bring you back to life, but you can only use this once.
    The art style is fantastic with an old fashioned style so to speak, with everything being outlined with black and have that depressing but nice to look at style.
    This game is getting updated around every 30 days, and has had caves recently added, and this is really buggy at the moment. It closed down my entire Don't Starve game every time I tried to load it, due to the fact that I was in a cave which really did annoy me. They should not release content that is in alpha stage (content that isn’t complete). So, would I recommend it? Yes I definitely would it’s fantastic, simple and fun to play and kill some time.
  15. May 22, 2013
    I keep being drawn back to this game. I recommend playing it in 2-3 hour chunks and don't look up any wiki. It is fun to explore and discover new ways to interact with this fun but deadly world. I cant get everything done before the next free bit of content comes along so i am sure there will be many more hours of fun in this game for me. It's worth every penny of the £11 i paid for it andI keep being drawn back to this game. I recommend playing it in 2-3 hour chunks and don't look up any wiki. It is fun to explore and discover new ways to interact with this fun but deadly world. I cant get everything done before the next free bit of content comes along so i am sure there will be many more hours of fun in this game for me. It's worth every penny of the £11 i paid for it and a great experience for one of my first indie games, which has intrigued me to try more. Expand
  16. Jun 5, 2013
    Don't Starve is a brilliant game in which you start out as a guy named wilson and you appear in the wilderness with a man named maxwell hinting you find food before it gets dark. You are left to fend for yourself in a natural survival game with animals that seem almost natural but some with a monsterous twist. Such as a plain old rabbit or the twisted deerclops you never know what toDon't Starve is a brilliant game in which you start out as a guy named wilson and you appear in the wilderness with a man named maxwell hinting you find food before it gets dark. You are left to fend for yourself in a natural survival game with animals that seem almost natural but some with a monsterous twist. Such as a plain old rabbit or the twisted deerclops you never know what to expect. The only minor criticism I have is that many new players are steered away from the game after dying after spending many hours with one character which can lead to some raging and smashing of computers :D Expand
  17. Jun 11, 2013
    Interesting game, I don't really have good words for it, but i loved the game, Its such a interesting type of game, survival and really open, i loved the game, i just don't give it a ten because it could use some good interesting story to make the best game ever, very cool.
  18. Jun 27, 2013
    It is amazing. The first game I actually bought on Steam in ages. Maybe I have a soft spot for games that are rougelike/survival/procedurally generated/whatever you want to call it, but I'm having loads of fun. I don't understand why everyone thinks it's repetitive, I've gotten through playthroughs of 60+ days and am still finding things to do. If you're just sitting at your base campIt is amazing. The first game I actually bought on Steam in ages. Maybe I have a soft spot for games that are rougelike/survival/procedurally generated/whatever you want to call it, but I'm having loads of fun. I don't understand why everyone thinks it's repetitive, I've gotten through playthroughs of 60+ days and am still finding things to do. If you're just sitting at your base camp surviving, go exploring and find things you haven't seen before, that's what the game's about!

And the adventure mode! My God. It's challenging and captivating. Each level's harder than the rest. The ending is...terrifying.

The updates just keep coming as well. The devs are committed to the wellbeing of this game.

If you think you will enjoy it, you will. Buy it immediately. If you don't, you probably won't. Rougelikes aren't for everyone.
  19. Apr 26, 2013
    Pros: +Art style is very reminiscent of something tim burton would do.
    +Fantastic character designs.
    +It's a very quirky and funny game overall. +Randomly generated worlds make every adventure feel different (to an extent). +Combat can be quite fun with a nice variety of ways to defeat enemies +You can farm, trap animals, fight, do magic, and fight against going insane among other
    Pros: +Art style is very reminiscent of something tim burton would do.
    +Fantastic character designs.
    +It's a very quirky and funny game overall.
    +Randomly generated worlds make every adventure feel different (to an extent).
    +Combat can be quite fun with a nice variety of ways to defeat enemies
    +You can farm, trap animals, fight, do magic, and fight against going insane among other things.

Cons: -Not very noob-friendly in the beginning (if you're having trouble surviving then check out the forums on steam or klei's website).
    -The crafting system should be even deeper in my opinion.
  20. Jun 1, 2013
    The only reason this game is so popular is because it's been on the steam homepage for months. Really, months. Even longer than Bioshock Infinite. Why? I have no idea maybe the developer knows someone in Valve. In any case, it's half-decent as far as indies go, but there are much, much better (including Mark of the Ninja and Shank 2, both by the same developer as this). I would waitThe only reason this game is so popular is because it's been on the steam homepage for months. Really, months. Even longer than Bioshock Infinite. Why? I have no idea maybe the developer knows someone in Valve. In any case, it's half-decent as far as indies go, but there are much, much better (including Mark of the Ninja and Shank 2, both by the same developer as this). I would wait for this to be in a bundle before getting it, it's a pretty slow clickfest. Fun for the first time you play it, but it takes a ridiculously long time to get to the mid-game, which severely limits its replay value. Expand
  21. Apr 29, 2013
    I haven't played it too much recently. but when i did it was good fun. i like the concept but i hope they keep the patches coming to make future improvements.
  22. Apr 25, 2013
    My first survival adventure game and I love it. Some people say it gets boring and repetitive after a while but I've already played 15 hours for 13$ and I had a blast. Now even if I never played it again I still think that 80c an hour is pretty good value And with the promised updates I am pretty sure I will try it at least for a few more hours with every update and as far as I know thereMy first survival adventure game and I love it. Some people say it gets boring and repetitive after a while but I've already played 15 hours for 13$ and I had a blast. Now even if I never played it again I still think that 80c an hour is pretty good value And with the promised updates I am pretty sure I will try it at least for a few more hours with every update and as far as I know there are like 6 of them coming.But frankly I see myself playing it at least a couple more times in the next few days since I only got to day 28... 7 days into a surprise winter. I tought winter will come like at day 150 or something Expand
  23. May 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has some very interesting concepts. I played it for a while, but I have a hard time sitting down, playing it for a while. I still like the wilderness survival genre. Expand
  24. Jul 15, 2013
    A great game. I only gave it a 9 because it lacks co-op (not multiplayer, but co-op with maximum 2-3 players).

It has almost everything a survival game needs, and it is growing still with constant patching (free of charge). Most of the bad reviews are made by people that can`t cope with dying in games (permanent death) or with harsh environments that punish bad decisions and rewards

Most of the bad reviews are made by people that can`t cope with dying in games (permanent death) or with harsh environments that punish bad decisions and rewards intelligence.

A beautiful, challenging game. Do yourself a favor and buy this game, it is really that good.
  25. DQT
    Nov 25, 2013
    Pros:
    + Randomly generated worlds with varying resources and NPC's
    + The option to create custom worlds + Tons of items to harvest, craft, use and eat + Immense world to explore + Original and fitting art style + Great sound design and music + Immense replayability and depth + Supports mods + Frequent content updates + Gain experience after each death to unlock additional
    Pros:
    + Randomly generated worlds with varying resources and NPC's
    + The option to create custom worlds
    + Tons of items to harvest, craft, use and eat
    + Immense world to explore
    + Original and fitting art style
    + Great sound design and music
    + Immense replayability and depth
    + Supports mods
    + Frequent content updates
    + Gain experience after each death to unlock additional characters to play as; each character has their own passive abilities that changes the way you play

Cons:
    - Large learning curve with no in-game help or tutorials
    - Combat is frustrating and basic
    - The game is designed around grinding, and you'll never do anything but.

Summary: Despite the low budget, Don't Starve is an original take on the survival genre that's every bit as unpredictable as it is satisfying.

Who should by this game:
    * Gamers who like the survival genre; Minecraft, terraria etc.
    * Those who enjoy rogue-likes
    * Fans of Klei Entertainment
    * Gamers who enjoy a challenge
    * Fans of indie-games

Who shouldn't buy this game:
    * People who hate indie-games
    * People who enjoy casual games with easy gameplay
    * Those who prefer their games to have multiplayer components
    * Those who like fast-paced, twitch-based games as opposed to slower, cerebral games

Verdict: 8
  26. Jul 26, 2013
    The game is good overall, and it was very interested to play for 2 days. After that I got bored. Then another day of playing, and bored again.
    The good:
    - interesting art (I am not really a fan of this style myself, but still it's very cool) - great humor in many places (the sounds of the spiders attacking are excellent!). Really great humor - the game is done with style - i like that
    The good:
    - the game is done with style
    - i like that when you die you have to restart. I used to play ADOM a lot Actually, I expected a more difficult game after reading reviews, but Don't Starve is much easier than ADOM. I didn't even feel said when dying.
    The bad:
    - there is no wiki or any other info source inside the game. Namely, you have to jump into a wormhole and die so as to learn that wormholes kill you and you shouldn't jump into them. You have to die just because it got dark to learn that in darkness you die (wtf! this makes no sense) Same with most other stuff. I ended up just reading an inofficial wiki of the game to be able to understand most of the concepts. This is not a good sign at all! Sorry guys, but dying from something you couldn't even know is no fun.. It just teaches you that no matter what you do next time and no matter how good you play, you will die from something you didn't know until finally you have a feeling that it's pointless to keep repeating to just learn the game "the hard way" and quit.
    - combat is totally awkward. I died quite a few times just because I couldn't click precisely on a moving mob and the character would try to walk to the clicked spot instead of attacking the mob. Very frustrating. Actually, a SHIFT key should stop the character from moving and force a stationary attack, just like in Diablo 1.
    - no ranged weapons in the beginning of the game. I know, it's easier to make a spear than a bow, but there are lots of players like me who like ranged characters more than melee. You could make the bow a low damage weapon or introduce other disadvantage (limited arrows, slow reload time, low accuracy, whatever) but still let the player fight in his own style early.
    All in all, an artistically excellent game spoiled by bad combat system and lack of in-game help.
  27. Jun 30, 2013
    I have now played it for 72 hours this week. Its fantastic! I'm on a record (day 67) now, and i think i will survive forever now, but 100+ hours for a indie game is good!
  28. Jul 15, 2013
    I was really pleasantly surprised by this game. It's a fantastic game if you enjoy trying to survive against all odds with no quest markers telling you where to go, no hand holding, no tutorial, just good old fashioned "figure it out yourself" gameplay. It's not overly complicated, it's really simple on the surface, but much more complex as you keep going and developing strategies to stayI was really pleasantly surprised by this game. It's a fantastic game if you enjoy trying to survive against all odds with no quest markers telling you where to go, no hand holding, no tutorial, just good old fashioned "figure it out yourself" gameplay. It's not overly complicated, it's really simple on the surface, but much more complex as you keep going and developing strategies to stay alive.

It reminds me very much of Minecraft survival mode, but in a much harsher world. I've already put many more hours into this $15 game than I have in my last three $60 games combined.
  29. Jul 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good game is from a good idea. Most people say that Don't Starve is similar to Minecraft. I must say yes, it is. But you don't have to say that it's a copy.

In this game, you have to pick your own food, your own material, build, mix., try new things, discover more, be ready to a new adventure every minute, never be stop, avoid the darkness. Sometimes I keep hours and hours doing the same thing: playing Don't Starve.

This is not a addicting game, but it is a nice game. I can fast feel tired of playing it because of the system of Don't Starve! Don't attack the shadows over there with low life! Don't be on the total darkness! I do like this game, but this little things make the game turns tiring.
  30. Jul 2, 2013
    This game has a very nice artistic drawings and game mechanics, it really make you fell confortable when playing. If you like surviving games like Minecraft, I'm sure you'll enjoy playing Don't Starve. Klei updates are frequent and always add some more content to the game. I own this game from the first beta release.
  31. Jul 2, 2013
    A pretty good game, very good survival game, and THOSE GODDAMN HOUNDS! The Hounds are just, goddamn. Might as well put an entire video out of how to not die from the hounds.
  32. Jul 3, 2013
    I feel like some reviewers on here did not understand what this game is about. It is about SURVIVAL. The game does not hold your hand and tell you "shh shh child chop down that tree". It throws you in to a fight, flight, or die situation. The game constantly forces you to put yourself out there and prepare for a world thats only purpose is to kill you. If you die, then you die. No retries.I feel like some reviewers on here did not understand what this game is about. It is about SURVIVAL. The game does not hold your hand and tell you "shh shh child chop down that tree". It throws you in to a fight, flight, or die situation. The game constantly forces you to put yourself out there and prepare for a world thats only purpose is to kill you. If you die, then you die. No retries. (Well there are some ways you can come back.) I've played the game since its alpha release and I'm glad to say that I got to see it grow into a full immersive game. Complete with world customization and constructable objects/buildings. The world and the soundtrack that goes along with it is a perfect fit. The art style the game has seems like a Tim Burton style with a little less creepy. It fits well with the game.

The survival game now also has a story with recent updates. I won't spoil anything but even though it may just seem like another survival game the story is actually very compelling and actually makes sense why you are where you are.

TL;DR

Dont Starve is an awesome survival game. Buy it. Lose many hours of your life.
  33. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is so fun! This game is survival hardcore game. Play like character willson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home. Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures,This game is so fun! This game is survival hardcore game. Play like character willson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home. Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play it your own way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land. Expand
  34. Jul 14, 2013
    I thought this game was great for the first few hours because I could see the potential for what it might be. However, this game is literally about grinding yourself to death. The only way to learn about what kills you is to be killed by it. Every time you die, you have to start a new game. So, literally you are grinding with the expectation of dieing in order to learn something new aboutI thought this game was great for the first few hours because I could see the potential for what it might be. However, this game is literally about grinding yourself to death. The only way to learn about what kills you is to be killed by it. Every time you die, you have to start a new game. So, literally you are grinding with the expectation of dieing in order to learn something new about the game and avoid dieing the next time around.

I think the game designers were very lazy. The menu system is broken and inadequate. They intentionally hide relevant details from you to make the game more difficult and mysterious. They tell you not to go to the wiki because it reduces the "adventure" effect, but you absolutely need the wiki to tell you basic things that should be indicated within the game.

I only spent a few bucks on the game, but I'm still disappointed enough to come here write a review about how absurd this supposedly innovative game truly is. I would highly advise that you buy the game, play it, and then go the game maker's website and give them an ear full about whatever you think so that they can further improve this game. I think you'll find these other reviewers who game the game a 3 or less are spot on with their assessment.
  35. Apr 24, 2013
    While very late to the build and survive theme, it still offers some enjoyment. There is no story and no plot (well maybe some in the adventure mode) and all you have to do is survive as long as you can or want. You have three stats. Health, Hunger and Sanity. You start out with some instructions for tools to get you started and then you're on your own to explore a world mixed withWhile very late to the build and survive theme, it still offers some enjoyment. There is no story and no plot (well maybe some in the adventure mode) and all you have to do is survive as long as you can or want. You have three stats. Health, Hunger and Sanity. You start out with some instructions for tools to get you started and then you're on your own to explore a world mixed with forests, deserts swamps and more. The longer you survive the more Experience Points you earn and each level unlocked unlocks a new character with its own unique skill. The price is a tad too much so I'd wait for a sale or a dollar drop. It's sandbox so after all, it's repetitive, but it needs to be. The world customization is very touch. Everything is set as default, the problem is when clicks "more" or "less" the unbalance between them literally makes them one click from "not enough and must start new game" to "too much and no skill required." It's fun for a thirty to sixty minute play, but you can (and will) become bored very quickly so don't play it in huge amounts of time. Expand
  36. Jun 15, 2013
    So as you can tell by the 10 given I absolutely love this game I have owned this game since December 1st when it was still in development and have well I would say wasted but I don't feel like I wasted time on this game since it is so much fun. The art is great controls are smooth its not glitchy and as long as you keep adventuring it doesn't get boring. The developers are very good too.So as you can tell by the 10 given I absolutely love this game I have owned this game since December 1st when it was still in development and have well I would say wasted but I don't feel like I wasted time on this game since it is so much fun. The art is great controls are smooth its not glitchy and as long as you keep adventuring it doesn't get boring. The developers are very good too. The fact that they tell you how many days until the next update just brings joy to me. SO yes I would recommend this game. Expand
  37. Jul 23, 2013
    Duh, too many to discover, too many, I don't know, too long died, but keep playing! Discover, craft, fight, eat, survive, collect, don't starve! I like it, hope you like it too!
  38. May 25, 2013
    Don't Starve is A very Great game i think, but it takes really long time too begin, and it bores me a bit, so i've only played it like 3 hours, but a good time-waster! So if you like Tim Burton Art, this is the game for you!
  39. Dec 5, 2013
    A failed experiment at game making, this game is repetitive and boring soon after the initial exploration and trail and error novelty wear off. Permadeath makes this game pointless to ever waste your time even trying to enjoy it. Its supposed to be hardcore but is laughably easy once you realize how to exploit the gameworld.

The forums of the game makers are full of rude people that

The forums of the game makers are full of rude people that attack any member who doesnt believe the game is perfect, which is a good indication this game will never be changed for the better, as the developers coddle the dysfunctional few fans the game has.

Save your money and get an actual fun game.
  40. Jan 12, 2015
    As is typical for survival games, completely retarded.

As is typical for survival games, completely retarded.

It takes three weeks to starve to death, not a few days. Fresh water is much more important. The rapidly dropping mental strength is also ridiculous. Mental strength typically increases in a survival situation over time as a person comes to accept their fate and simply begins working on necessities. Contrary to popular belief, humans are very good survivors.

Science structure was also idiotic. What is so difficult about chopping down a tree, propping it up and then sleeping underneath it for shelter?

Why is there no mental boost from fire?

Total immersion loss at all times. Could not enjoy. Would not recommend.
  41. Jul 30, 2013
    I bought this because I loved the art style. I didn't think I'd like the rogue aspect (permadeath), but it quickly grew on me. I personally don't care for Minecraft (compared to a lot), this game feels very different. While there is resource gathering, there is always a strategic aspect where you need to balance different needs and use your time effectively. Because of that it never feelsI bought this because I loved the art style. I didn't think I'd like the rogue aspect (permadeath), but it quickly grew on me. I personally don't care for Minecraft (compared to a lot), this game feels very different. While there is resource gathering, there is always a strategic aspect where you need to balance different needs and use your time effectively. Because of that it never feels like grinding. I keep finding more depth to both the crafting and the world itself too, so after 20 or so hours I'm far from bored. Easily my favorite game of the year, thanks to Don't Starve I was able to take a proper break from League of Legends! Expand
  42. Nov 20, 2013
    Can a game be good and bad at the same time? To me, Don't Starve fills both roles and leaves me with mixed feelings. This game is fun the first few play through's. You're learning and adapting and dying and all the while it's fun and rewarding. Then you survive your first winter and realize there really isn't much more to the game beyond finding food everyday and picking saplings andCan a game be good and bad at the same time? To me, Don't Starve fills both roles and leaves me with mixed feelings. This game is fun the first few play through's. You're learning and adapting and dying and all the while it's fun and rewarding. Then you survive your first winter and realize there really isn't much more to the game beyond finding food everyday and picking saplings and grass. On my 2nd play through I survived 72 days and ended up committing suicide because the game had lost all meaning.

The problem is not that the game is bad. The problem is that the game looses it's reward system once you grasp the basics of it. The mood of the game is great, the setting is nice, the art style is spot on, but once you've played for a few hours the wonder ceases. If we look at Minecraft's rewards, yes you spend hours grinding away, mining blocks, but then you turn them into works of art and mechanical systems only limited by your minds eye. If we look at Unreal World, you spend months hauling logs and barely catching enough fish to survive. When you finally get your log cabin built and you spend the first night sleeping, not in a lean to, but a house you built with your own hands and sweat you feel like you really accomplished something.

Compare that with Don't Starve where you are not able to built a real house, only walls and a floor. No door or bed is included in the crafting recipes. No place to call home. You can make a bed roll that's only good for one night and leaves your overly starving. Or you could build a tent, at a fairly high cost to silk, that only lasts for 6 uses and leaves you begging for food. Yes, sleeping punishes you by making you nearly starve to death. Apparently sleep increases your metabolism five fold. Most nights you will find yourself, waiting till daylight, around a campfire just wasting IRL time.

All that being said, there is a great game here. It's fun to play, even if it's just for a few hours at a time. There is great potential within it's construct. I really hope the developers continue to expand and provide more rewards to players. At this time I can't suggest buying the game full price. If you find it for under $10 then consider it, otherwise just put this on your wishlist and check back in a year's time to see how it's progressed.
  43. Jul 28, 2013
    This is a great game that I'd recommend to anyone, particularly those who enjoy survival horror. The basic premise is that the game is a survival game with a focus on hunger, that, once you die, your world is erased and you must start again. There are many ways to avoid this fate, but ultimately you will die or decide to start a new world.

The overall mechanics of the game fit

The overall mechanics of the game fit brilliantly together. It might seem frustrating to lose a character and world, but the more engaging parts of the game are the exploration, construction and attempts to survive. Dying means you have a chance to start again, taking your past mistakes into account. You construct, craft and collect, like in many current survival games, but don't expect some Minecraft survival clone because of the presence of a pickaxe. Once you get past the basics, like cutting trees, the game veers off in a widely different direction, focusing on your hunger, sanity and health, and not building pretty constructs. Combat is not one of the game's strong points, and you will have to fight monsters at some point. Most combat can be avoided, but at some point you will have to fight to advance and survive.

This game has an art style that suits the style of the game. Rather than try to make the strange creatures fit into some realistic art style, they have decided to go with a "weird and dark" art style that is somewhat reminiscent of a cartoon. If it seems pretentious or silly to you, try to look past that. Once you get into the game you'll appreciate it. A standard art style for modern survival horror games would look cheap and uninspired if used in Don't Starve.

The usage of sound really amplifies the feelings of loneliness, danger and creepiness that the game will put you through, as well as giving you clear indictation of state, overall creating an immersive atmosphere.

Don't Starve is a fun, immersive, engaging game that lives up to both the title and the reviews. Like many other modern indie games this game does not have a tutorial or a definitive guide. A lot of the negative reviews for Don't Starve focus on this, or are a result of it. Do yourself a favour and spend the first few hours playing without a guide, and once you've learned all you can without the Wiki, start using it. You'll be surprised how much you can learn without a guide as long as you're aiming to learn.
  44. Jul 30, 2014
    This game is quite hard in the beginning until you get the grasp of it. I played many hours of it until it started to haunt my dreams. I was literally playing it through the night so I had to stop and unistall it. But really it is a great game. Damn the hounds!
  45. Jun 22, 2014
    This game isn't for me, too much time investment and grinding for very little reward. I've never been a fan of rogue-like games so if you're reading this review and you tend not to like rogue like games you might want to pass.

If you do like rogue like games and wish they had crafting then hey, this is probably going to be a great game for you. I'll stick with Terraria/Starbound/Minecraft/etc. to fill my sandbox needs which are in my opinion superior to this game in every way. There are way more 10's given to this game than it deserves.
  46. Apr 3, 2014
    Don't starve is nice little game with very unique look & feel. It's immersing, addicting and has tons of stuff to do and explore. The basic idea is to gather/produce resources and upgrade your camp in order to survive in wilderness.

The main problem is that this game becomes very repetitive after a while. The way to success is basically just to gather and build as much stuff as possible which isn't all that entertaining in the long run. Also when you die, you really die and have to start from the beginning (with few exceptions). And then you have to do same steps all over again...

Still, you'll probably get more fun out of this than from many other titles. The game is also quite cheap so you're guaranteed to get at least your money's worth.
  47. Aug 2, 2013
    Następna po Minecraft'cie (i Terrari)tak dobra gra survivalowa. Rozbudowana, ciekawa klimatycznie, posiadająca wiele ciekawych pomysłów gra survivalowa. Pomimo tego że jest ona ogólnie uważana za idealną, według mojej opinii ma parę wad. Sam świat jest za mało rozbudowany, jest wręcz "nudny". Graficznie też nie zaskakuje(Minecraft na przykład ma system rozwalania terenu). Jest to jednakNastępna po Minecraft'cie (i Terrari)tak dobra gra survivalowa. Rozbudowana, ciekawa klimatycznie, posiadająca wiele ciekawych pomysłów gra survivalowa. Pomimo tego że jest ona ogólnie uważana za idealną, według mojej opinii ma parę wad. Sam świat jest za mało rozbudowany, jest wręcz "nudny". Graficznie też nie zaskakuje(Minecraft na przykład ma system rozwalania terenu). Jest to jednak wciąg tytuł w który naprawdę powinno się zagrać.
    Moja ocena 8/10
  48. Aug 21, 2013
    Don't starve is easily one of the best games i played in a very long time.
    Not starving is a difficult task where you must "multitask" your gameplay to achieve all elements necessary to your survival.
    The game offers various environments and a lot of different resources to handle,with whom you can build more or less complex tools that may aid you in your journey. Surely one of the best
    Don't starve is easily one of the best games i played in a very long time.
    Surely one of the best indie games i played.
    This is not a 10 just because i don't think it's totally perfect.
  49. Dec 21, 2013
    This is a game I want to like the art's good, the sound's good, but nothing can help the horrible core mechanic. You click on things on the ground, and pick them up. For hours. It's incredibly dull. Once in a while, you'll run into a horrible monster that instakills you. Then you start all over.

Because the core mechanic is so bad, you can't help but notice the other flaws that pop up all over the place. Why doesn't the game just pause while I read the crafting recipes? How come when I chop apart a gold vein, the gold sometimes gets hidden under a worthless flint? When I cut down a tree, why do the logs always land "behind" another tree, so I have to rotate the screen or cut down the other tree to get them? When I'm running away from a horrible monster, why does my character always try to stop and cut down trees instead? etc. etc.

These minor frustrations bring down an already poor game to being a terrible game.

Overhyped, overpriced.
  50. Nov 5, 2013
    This is a tamed Minecraft within the mind of Tim Burton. Although it is a sort of pretty game during the game, at night it becomes a dark world where fire is your best friend. It makes you feel accomplished during a successful night, but once you die you feel like you're a failure.
  51. Jun 13, 2014
    First the good.

The cel-shaded cartoonish art style is timeless and very merciful on older PCs. The character and level progression feels natural and fulfilling. The updates are constant; smaller patches are free. Now the bad. Roughly 95% of this game is a grind. You need to eat? Go find berries. Or craft a trap and hunt a rabbit. How do you craft a trap? You'll need branches
    First the good.

The cel-shaded cartoonish art style is timeless and very merciful on older PCs.
    The character and level progression feels natural and fulfilling.
    The updates are constant; smaller patches are free.

Now the bad.

Roughly 95% of this game is a grind. You need to eat? Go find berries. Or craft a trap and hunt a rabbit. How do you craft a trap? You'll need branches and grass. Each of those actions has an obnoxious animation and that hunger meter is ticking all the while. Along with half a dozen other meters; failing to fulfill any one of which leads do death. Which is permanent, by the way.

This is the type of game that will screw you over each chance it gets. Your options are to accept you're going to be dying all the time or play with the wiki open on your second monitor. You didn't know you needed an absurdly rare and difficult to obtain machine at the start of Summer? Too bad, your entire base just went up in smoke, along with the last 10 hours of your life. You're seeing the giant one-eyed monster for the first time? Better restart, the game might as well be over with no food and no fire mid-winter.

There are options to resurrect upon death but they're few and generally have a hefty cost attached to them. A meat effigy will reduce your max health by a sizeable amount while life amulets are costly, reduce your efficiency while worn and break easily. Even worse, preparation takes time which turns an already very grindy game into one long, painful nightmare with nothing but a "Game Over" screen as a reward.
  52. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    ===========
    Do you like finding new things? Do you fancy the idea of no hand-holding? But do you hate starting all over again if you made a fatal mistake? Also do you hate grinding & repetition? But not the kind of grinding where you are furious of having to go through the same things again but the kind where you feel you are going somewhere & want to continue deeper?

If you answered 'Yes' to all of these questions then this game is for you.
  53. Jul 7, 2016
    Don't Starve is an interesting sandbox game which features a great open-world which you're able to explore and survive there. It will be hard, but extremely exciting. Day by day, you become better, but your "enemies" (such as Trees, wolves, etc) don't sleep too. The gameplay consists of crafting items, creating your "Vault", collecting items, etc. In a nuthsell, this game is worth playing.
  54. Jan 7, 2015
    Don't Starve is not just a game of survival. It is an adventure in which you start devoid of the essentials for survival. Searching for food , make a fire , a weapon with which to defend yourself. From there the exploration begins, the make you strong in an inhospitable world. You can play in several ways , creating a base where you strong or being a nomad and have several small sheltersDon't Starve is not just a game of survival. It is an adventure in which you start devoid of the essentials for survival. Searching for food , make a fire , a weapon with which to defend yourself. From there the exploration begins, the make you strong in an inhospitable world. You can play in several ways , creating a base where you strong or being a nomad and have several small shelters as you traverse the globe in search of objects that allow you to get out of this .
    The world where you appear is not the only thing you can visit the caves are much more dangerous , but instead find more useful items . Or find the portal to the world of adventures, where you propose several challenges and in case of death return to the original world as if nothing had happened. Hundreds of objects, characters and combinations. All your imagination quest to find that wants to create object with which to craft what you want .
    A world where not get bored as long as you do not die again and again . Recommended
  55. Dec 7, 2015
    My god this game is great! A bit too difficult for me and lacking in terms of reasons to play like story or final goal but the creativity that sparkles from every pixel and overall stellar aesthetics and really interesting gameplay make it one of my favorite games from one of my favorite developers.
  56. Aug 2, 2014
    Don't Starve is a game crammed with polish and creativity. The art and atmosphere are brilliant. Unfortunately, the game eventually lost me with its tedious foraging system. There are so many fun and original things you can do in this game, but it takes an absurd amount of grinding to get to those things. If the foraging was actually a challenge, the rewards might feel worth the grind,Don't Starve is a game crammed with polish and creativity. The art and atmosphere are brilliant. Unfortunately, the game eventually lost me with its tedious foraging system. There are so many fun and original things you can do in this game, but it takes an absurd amount of grinding to get to those things. If the foraging was actually a challenge, the rewards might feel worth the grind, but the foraging is not challenging, just busy work. I would have put a lot more time into this game if the recipes required fewer ingredients. However, I feel like I must not be exactly the target audience, so for what it is trying to be, Don't Starve succeeds. Expand
  57. Oct 29, 2013
    The art style, the humor, the charm, the sometimes brutal cruelty that the game slaughters you with horribly. The replay, the gameplay, The bitter winter chill that runs down your spine as you starve to death half insane during the winter. This game I fell in love with immediately, And honestly was the only game I played for almost a week after I got it.
    The game is not perfect, and is
    The game is not perfect, and is really I personally feel a niche genre game..though survival horror kinda games seem to be far more popular nowadays. But there in lies the problem as I think this is either a game you love or hate once again completely depending on if you like horror like survival games. And with that in mind its a hard game to recommend.
    Regardless my score is higher then I would probably normally rate it simply because of the games personality. I love so many thing about this game the art and the humor especially it just makes it different. And that has to count for something, the smile it keeps putting on my face certainly does.
  58. Jan 3, 2015
    I really dislike games that purport to be challenging when they are really just overtuned and random. This game is not a skill based game, nor will it test your intelligence. It will test your patience or, should you choose to use a wiki, it will test your reading comprehension. It is basically farmville for people that wouldn't be caught playing farmville.
  59. Nov 30, 2013
    This game is great combination of survival and fantasy. It puts you in a world in which everyone struggles to survive. I think that the depth of this game is impressive and one will not discover everything in any number of worlds. I do find the perma-death frustrating at the beginning, but after i learned what i was doing it was a pretty entertaining game. The gameplay and world areThis game is great combination of survival and fantasy. It puts you in a world in which everyone struggles to survive. I think that the depth of this game is impressive and one will not discover everything in any number of worlds. I do find the perma-death frustrating at the beginning, but after i learned what i was doing it was a pretty entertaining game. The gameplay and world are dynamic enough to keep me hooked to it for quite a few hours, and running low on food or other resources keeps adrenaline flowing, which i find impressive in a survival game. Expand
  60. Jul 14, 2014
    Great survival game. Like playing the life of Jeremiah Johnson in the dream world of Tim Burton. The developers continue to support it and bring new content, Co-Op MULTIPLAYER IS COMING! Also easily mod-able, lots of mods on KLEI's forums, and now Steam Workshop!
  61. Apr 17, 2014
    Don't starve + Dlc Reign of Giants is one of the best survival funny games i have ever tried.
    Goods and Foods:
    + original ways of survival + original and somehow sinister characters + no hand holding to the bathroom, son (the game will biatch slap you for mistakes) + your main and only goal is to survive and have fun (well unlocking new characters may be a goal too) + technology and
    Goods and Foods:
    + original ways of survival
    + original and somehow sinister characters
    + technology and magic working as one (yes this is not a warhammer game, son)
    + good 2D art and graphics
    + mods makes gameplay better
    +enjoyable sounds and soundtracks (just listen to Weiber)
    + good single player mission story

Bads and goofs:
    - really hard to master (way too much ways to die)
    - some level of grinding and repetitive tasks, that some people will not enjoy
    - don't read the wikipedia if you like nasty surprises
    - if you die (and don't have any means of ressurection) GAME TOTAL OVER ( you have to start from the begining of the main menu)
    - OOO THE IRONY... to wave of updates (7-14 days) gives new gameplay and fixes and you have to start a new game every time, if you want to enjoy them.
  62. Sep 1, 2013
    Don't Starve, a game built around a simple concept not starving that is executed very well. It personally took me a while to get into but there is quite a bit of content there to play with and with frequent updates and some nice mods thanks to the Steam Workshop now available it keeps me coming back. Unlike some games Don't Starve never loses its key element; even when you have a niceDon't Starve, a game built around a simple concept not starving that is executed very well. It personally took me a while to get into but there is quite a bit of content there to play with and with frequent updates and some nice mods thanks to the Steam Workshop now available it keeps me coming back. Unlike some games Don't Starve never loses its key element; even when you have a nice base set up you'll still be having trouble with not starving. Expand
  63. Aug 23, 2013
    I loved everything about this game! I love the artwork, the gameplay the sound board! Hell i even made this account so I could rate it! It's a fun learn-how-to-play-yourself game (I recommend a quick trip to the wiki for the basics) where you survive and thrive through day and night, summer and winter, or even combat starvation and wild animals! It has many different characters you canI loved everything about this game! I love the artwork, the gameplay the sound board! Hell i even made this account so I could rate it! It's a fun learn-how-to-play-yourself game (I recommend a quick trip to the wiki for the basics) where you survive and thrive through day and night, summer and winter, or even combat starvation and wild animals! It has many different characters you can choose from to suit your play style, and even a comedy one for the "hardcore" players who want a challenge. And with the ability to choose what spawn in your world and how it's created, this game can have you set a custom difficulty to help or challenge you. It is my favorite game and if you have $20 lying around go and buy it. However it has a slightly repetitive nature to it, and the adventure mode could still use some work, but with the frequent updates it will most likely become more than just a sandbox game. Expand
  64. Sep 1, 2013
    If you're looking for a fun indie survival game then this is the game for you. Provides a nice challenge with a lot to learn about. Game is updates every couple of weeks or so, so new content can always be expected. Recently got good Mod Support from the Steam Workshop with a lot of fun mods to mess around with. Can be a bit buggy at times. If you die your save is deleted and you have toIf you're looking for a fun indie survival game then this is the game for you. Provides a nice challenge with a lot to learn about. Game is updates every couple of weeks or so, so new content can always be expected. Recently got good Mod Support from the Steam Workshop with a lot of fun mods to mess around with. Can be a bit buggy at times. If you die your save is deleted and you have to start from scratch, unless you find some of the ways to revive yourself before actually dying. Very helpful wiki and a good forum presence. All in all a good game if you're looking for a fun survival game to play. Expand
  65. Oct 23, 2013
    hi there I'm writing about don't starve a brilliant adventure/simulation. After many updates it has certainly improved from the day it came out on steam. In this game you will face some challenging enemy,obstacles and biomes, as I can see there is mixed opinions on this game and yes it dose have its flaws and it dose have its strengths.The point I'm trying to make here is that it is a gamehi there I'm writing about don't starve a brilliant adventure/simulation. After many updates it has certainly improved from the day it came out on steam. In this game you will face some challenging enemy,obstacles and biomes, as I can see there is mixed opinions on this game and yes it dose have its flaws and it dose have its strengths.The point I'm trying to make here is that it is a game that should be bought and should be enjoyed no matter who's playing it. so i give a 9 out of 10. Expand
  66. Dec 1, 2013
    An absolutely amazing experience. Don't Starve is by far, one of the most compelling games I have tried in a long time: addictive, beautifully done and mysterious. If you have tried the game, you'll surely have the same love for the cardboard-cutout art work, the same sensations of terror when the light goes out and the joy of surviving that I do. The only thing that could have made thisAn absolutely amazing experience. Don't Starve is by far, one of the most compelling games I have tried in a long time: addictive, beautifully done and mysterious. If you have tried the game, you'll surely have the same love for the cardboard-cutout art work, the same sensations of terror when the light goes out and the joy of surviving that I do. The only thing that could have made this game better, would be a multiplayer option.
    Love it!
  67. Dec 20, 2013
    It is true that after you find out how to change worlds, it may become monotone but still, I guarantee you that this game will give you at least 30 hours of fun, and that's really something in today's gaming industry.And it is very very important that you discover EVERYTHING by yourselves in this game I think discovering these thing, finding out how to survive by dying continuously isIt is true that after you find out how to change worlds, it may become monotone but still, I guarantee you that this game will give you at least 30 hours of fun, and that's really something in today's gaming industry.And it is very very important that you discover EVERYTHING by yourselves in this game I think discovering these thing, finding out how to survive by dying continuously is the most entertaining thing in this game.I say buy it! Expand
  68. Dec 8, 2013
    I feel Don't Starve plays itself in 4 experiences of play. So I don't spoil anything, I won't go into too much details. Then again, a game like this doesn't really have "spoilers," considering everything you can do in the game is basically spelled out in the game creation mode.

When I first started, the struggle was making it through the night. "Oh great," I thought, "This is one of those "man I survived a whole 3 days in the horror" games where I brag about how hard it is. No thank you. Once I discovered how to start a fire and if you'll forgive the cliche, "didn't starve," the game became about figuring out how to build a settlement and where.

Once I found that out, it became a combination of Harvest Moon and aspects of Dwarf Fortress (admittedly, much simpler than each). So, I was out hunting for the essential materials to make my perfect hovel where I could survive basically any encounter. Again, I won't spoil it, but there were several times when I was definitely caught off guard by the game introducing a new challenge. The whole "Once you die, you're dead, restart" aspect became especially frustrating here, especially when you can survive 40-50 days without as much as a scratch, only for an unexpected monster to end you with relative ease.

This entered the 3rd phase: efficiency! I didn't need to get 50 of each item to survive, I could survive with far less. Heck, I could make multiple homes if I need to... there's plenty of resources if I know where to look. And I've now found a way to survive even if I get killed. I found more efficient foods, I can kill any monster that comes my way, and what's this adventure mode and cave mode I keep hearing about? I better check this out!

And now I'm exploring caves and what's beneath caves, trying to find the final guy, unlocking every character, working through the challenges of adventure mode, and realizing that I've logged over 100 hours in this game already. Wait a minute, isn't this a casual indie game? Isn't this one of those things where I can just sit down for 20 minutes and be satisfied?

If you're expecting casual, this is not your game. If you're looking for something that has the crafting and exploration complexity of Minecraft, but much more scaled down, then this may satisfy. I found myself often wanting to do more, and the exploration aspect only satisfies for a while. But like I said, I've put over 100 hours into this game, so it's doing something right... even if I've put it down out of boredom several times as well.
  69. Dec 19, 2013
    Very amazing game!! I love all the islands and you should really purchase this awesome game!!!!!

Lots of hard things to kill not to hard BESt GAME EVA
  70. Apr 29, 2014
    A great game to play on the go. It's fun and addicting, I recommended this game to anyone who wants to have great time for a couple of hours. It feels like Minecraft but it's not and thats a go thing.
    I give this game 8 out of 10.
  71. Jun 5, 2014
    This game is super addictive. I was really into it about a year ago, and now that the new DLC has come out I've been back into it again.

It's tough to master; learning how to efficiently balance your time, juggling different tasks. Doing scientific research allows you to build better, more efficient things leaving you with more time to get things done and live more comfortably. If you don't plan ahead you won't be prepared for the challenges presented by the upcoming seasons, and unscheduled attacks mean you need to be on your toes, ready to defend yourself at a moment's notice.

This is a very harsh survival game, especially when you're just learning to play. Once you die you start all over again, which can be frustrating. You can be 100 days in, marveling at all you've accomplished, and in one fell swoop it's all gone. It takes a lot of practice (and unfortunately, at times, some grinding) to survive long enough to explore the more advanced features. There is a lot to see, and when you can get there it's rewarding.

As unforgiving as the game is, it retains a good sense of humor and whimsy, and shows and appreciation for the absurd. Paper cut out style artwork like this has been done before, but the twisted and surreal style fits the tone of the game nicely.

Highly addictive and very fun. I love this game.
  72. Jun 10, 2014
    Muy interesante apuesta por la gestión de recursos y supervivencia, un ámbito que empieza a estar de moda. La sensación de mundo abierto y narrativa expansiva le da profundidad.
  73. Jun 12, 2014
    Эта игра,насколько я помню,в разработке с 3 квартала 2011 года.Тогда мне эта игра показалась какой-то простой и короткой.Сейчас я вам могу с уверенностью сказать,что она более чем оправдала все мои ожидания.Это игра просто хардкор. Это то,чего не хватает большинству новых игр,но там по мимо выживания и махания дубинкой целая куча возможностей,а также ты можешь сам выбрать как будешьЭта игра,насколько я помню,в разработке с 3 квартала 2011 года.Тогда мне эта игра показалась какой-то простой и короткой.Сейчас я вам могу с уверенностью сказать,что она более чем оправдала все мои ожидания.Это игра просто хардкор. Это то,чего не хватает большинству новых игр,но там по мимо выживания и махания дубинкой целая куча возможностей,а также ты можешь сам выбрать как будешь выживать: Построишь лагерь и плантациями,или быть кочевником.Выбор за вами.Это игра самый лучший Survival как по мне,но это также и прекрасный Адвенчур. Бегать по миру и исследовать его чертовски интересно.Ещё мне очень понравилось,что в Don't Starve где-то около десяти персонажей и каждый со своей способностью,что помогает вам выбрать "стиль жизни".Так что 10/10 Expand
  74. Oct 29, 2014
    This game, while relatively simplistic in it's approach manages to pull off something quite unique. It's styling gives it a really refreshing feel over other survival games that does it great credit, I feel like I'm in a Tim Burton movie, and there is even an Edward Scissorhands mod. I don't think that the games feature are groundbreaking compared to other survival games, not in theThis game, while relatively simplistic in it's approach manages to pull off something quite unique. It's styling gives it a really refreshing feel over other survival games that does it great credit, I feel like I'm in a Tim Burton movie, and there is even an Edward Scissorhands mod. I don't think that the games feature are groundbreaking compared to other survival games, not in the slightest, yet the art, sound and visuals make it really enjoyable.

I just wish that things such as the building of a fortress were better developed. Currently it's really quite simplistic... walls. But I can't help but wish that I could build a house with a ceiling.
    The soon to be released multiplayer element will breath new life into this very endearing game, perhaps new features will come along with it to make it a truely fantastic survival game and worthy of a top score
  75. Jun 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply is very good, the game has a very characteristic art. His soundtracks are fun, and the gameplay is simply amazing, I advise everyone to buy this game will give hours and hours of entertainment! Expand
  76. Jul 2, 2014
    Don't Starve - If you see the game for the first time, it looks fun, graphics and simple and nice, idea is good. It's seriously true.

Don't Starve will be very fun for everyone who likes survival games. You will have to check your hunger, sanity and health, and to balance everything, you will have to eat, as the title says: don't starve. Some food makes you be less hungry, some makes you be less sane(you can also see ghosts if you are not sane enough), etc. etc... That's not everything. There is also day-night cycle, summer-winter cycle, the game gets really harder and harder as you keep surviving so be prepared! There is also many characters with unique aspects to unlock as you survive, so the content is huge.

BUT... At the beginning, you will probably keep dying, then you go play again and find more content, then you die again, start again, find more content, die again, start again, die again... The game gets BORING more and more, because you make something wrong and you have to start again this whole process.
    LUCKILY... There is a Steam workshop, and if you get really bored, go find something that fixes your mood.

7/10 Try not to starve...
  77. Jul 15, 2014
    This game is fantastic, and is the very definition of roguelike. Even though it's already been released, it's still continually being worked on by the developers, in the form of the DLC and Don't Starve Together. I only have high hopes for further DLC, and for Don't Starve Together. The game is already great, however. Many compare it to Minecraft, though there are plenty of keyThis game is fantastic, and is the very definition of roguelike. Even though it's already been released, it's still continually being worked on by the developers, in the form of the DLC and Don't Starve Together. I only have high hopes for further DLC, and for Don't Starve Together. The game is already great, however. Many compare it to Minecraft, though there are plenty of key differences. Unlike other games, the developers listen to many of the community's suggestions on Klei Entertainment Forums. There's not much else to say about this incredible game. 10/10. Expand
  78. Feb 2, 2015
    Yay! This is cartoon survival game with a lot of content. In this game you need to... survive! But it's difficult, because most of creatures in Don't Starve want to kill or eat you. If you won't be killed by monsters, you will get killed by hunger. Or by cold. Or by hot. Or by anything. Looks enjoyable? Yes, but it get boring too fast, so don't play DS too long. Anyway, it is cool game. :3
  79. Zep
    Aug 12, 2014
    I am finding it very difficult why someone would hate this lovable game. It is truly an incredible experience that anyone of all ages and gender can enjoy. You start off as a mad scientist named Wilson, who has to survive in a harsh world filled with monsters and other beings. the goal of the game is to survive as long as you can. However if you do die, you lose all of your items and areI am finding it very difficult why someone would hate this lovable game. It is truly an incredible experience that anyone of all ages and gender can enjoy. You start off as a mad scientist named Wilson, who has to survive in a harsh world filled with monsters and other beings. the goal of the game is to survive as long as you can. However if you do die, you lose all of your items and are forced to reset the map, start over or just quit. However Wilson is not the only character. There is a large variety of characters with creative personalties. And on another topic, the graphics are extremely lovable and so is the catchy soundtrack. Good Job Klei Entertainment! Expand
  80. Sep 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is amazing, Picking up carrots.. Building a Trap out of Twigs and Grass then catching rabbit with it! This is just some of the great realistic survival skills you need too survive in this game! You can build Machines too make better things! And endless days of Survival against monsters, winter and everything else in the world as you spawn, And that's just without mods! Expand
  81. Oct 27, 2014
    Played about 40 hours so far. Concept similar to minecraft in a way but more focued on survival than crafting and building. Really interesting graphics although sometimes annoying when objects are hidden behind other object (although you can rotate the map). Can't wait for Don't starve together!
  82. Nov 12, 2014
    Best survival game i played one of best games i played best Indie game I played what to say more this one is very very nice I can recommend it 100% buy it have fun with it if You like survival games (also it is hard game) get it
  83. Nov 23, 2014
    One of the best indie games I've played. Very nice style all around, great balance making the game as hard as it promises. A very different survival game, which also is a lot better than other survival games.
  84. Dec 1, 2014
    This game has an overwhelming fun to price ratio. For just a few bucks you get tons of hours of nice gameplay, if you like survival games, along with some crafting, exploring, setting up bases etc, and it comes with several characters to play and even modding support.
    Difficulty varies, sometimes pretty hard, but once you played a while and managed to survive long enough to build up a decent base, food and item supplies, you basically "have won" that level, even there's no finishing.
  85. Feb 10, 2015
    It's a survival game done right. Devs were actively supporting the game with updates and the final result is fantastic. There's a variety of characters to choose from, each with it's own special abilities. The art style is incredible and really suits the game's nature.

On the other side though, it can get repetitive, but that doesn't make that bad. Don't Starve shows us that Early

Don't Starve shows us that Early Access games don't have to suck.
  86. Jun 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is wonderful, I like the way as your character has to survive in a world like in the mind of Tim Burton.
    In my personal opinion , this game is better than minecraft because is like if you were playing a cartoon.
  87. Nov 16, 2015
    I've been playing for the past 10 hours and have the expansion Reign of Giants. Don't starve is an extremely solid platforming adventure that delivers a consistently fun experience. The simplistic graphics belie the games incredibly solid game play and ultimately strategy. The other users scores are no exaggerations this game is solidly 'in the green'.
  88. Aug 8, 2015
    Its an ok Survival Rouge like. Its more of a waste of potential then a bad game. Starts off great, but just gets repetitive after a while. The terrain also doesn't look different enough, so it feels your doing the same thing over and over again. While I do enjoy the sanity meter (Which is the only reason I sometimes come back to this game) its been done so much better and feels sortaIts an ok Survival Rouge like. Its more of a waste of potential then a bad game. Starts off great, but just gets repetitive after a while. The terrain also doesn't look different enough, so it feels your doing the same thing over and over again. While I do enjoy the sanity meter (Which is the only reason I sometimes come back to this game) its been done so much better and feels sorta lackluster. If your playing this game for the Sanity bar, then just plug in your GameCube and play the forgotten gem Eternal Darkness. Expand
  89. Oct 1, 2015
    For reference, games in my Best Ever list include Planescape: Torment, Zork, Portal, the original arcade Tron, Megamania, Super Mario Brothers 2, The Secret of Monkey Island and Final Fantasy VIII. That's really just a sample. I also loved World of Goo, Fez, Starcraft, the original X-Wing, Super Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, the DS Professor Layton series, and American McGee's Alice. OtherFor reference, games in my Best Ever list include Planescape: Torment, Zork, Portal, the original arcade Tron, Megamania, Super Mario Brothers 2, The Secret of Monkey Island and Final Fantasy VIII. That's really just a sample. I also loved World of Goo, Fez, Starcraft, the original X-Wing, Super Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, the DS Professor Layton series, and American McGee's Alice. Other classics, Doom, Baldur's Gate I & II, Q-bert. Things I am not into: realistic warfare shooters; turn based strategy,

Recently have been updating my collection via Gog.com and Steam (am a parent now and cannot budget all I'd like to on games and systems so we're usually at least a generation behind times), and waited forever for Don't Starve to come on sale. I don't think I even ever watched a gameplay trailer or anything - just based on the profile at Gog and the icon featuring Wilson's wild hair, I knew this was a game I wanted to try.

As you can see from the list above, color, story, and music are elements that make a game memorable and significant for me. My philosophy is that building skill in a game must feel meaningful, that the story should be somehow moving, and that the graphic presentation ought to leave you elated - even if there is violence. Realism is not required or even really desired: I want to go somewhere else when I'm playing, experience a different world. Games are one of the highest artforms humanity has attained.

Now that you know where I'm coming from, I must say that Don't Starve has not disappointed me. It feels weird at first, not knowing what the hell you're doing or why you're there (a beautiful sensation) and the more you figure out what you can do, what you can make, you get a distinct feeling of the game controls and idiosyncrasies growing on you.

1. It's absolutely beautiful.
    2. The music is there, if brief.
    3. Levels of ability are distinct, internally.
    4. There is a story, but you'd be better off finishing Adventure Mode before you know what it is (and you won't find it in-game).
    5. There ends up being a philosophical meaning to the thing, even if it's not so easy to see.
    6. Gameplay is highly satisfying.
    7. There is a giant wiki dedicated to teaching players how to survive (a thousand times better than any "manual" could be)
    8. On the PC, there are ways to get around the permanent death issue.

This review is deliberately vague and roundabout so as not to ruin any of the impact of playing the game from scratch nor to give too much interpretation of the "meaning" of the game... but I hope it helps someone out there decide to take the plunge and try it out.
  90. Jul 31, 2016
    I was torn up between giving this game a rating of 9 or 10. In the end though, the game has enough minor issues for it to miss out on a perfect score. This game does everything right, the characters are varied and interesting, the art style is unique, and there is enough to do in the game to easily keep a new player entertained for weeks. The only thing I did not like about this game isI was torn up between giving this game a rating of 9 or 10. In the end though, the game has enough minor issues for it to miss out on a perfect score. This game does everything right, the characters are varied and interesting, the art style is unique, and there is enough to do in the game to easily keep a new player entertained for weeks. The only thing I did not like about this game is that the worlds are random, for better or for worse. Sometimes, the world generation can be extremely weird or bad, and finding certain places in the world can be more time consuming due to the randomness. There are also a few glitches, albeit minor, that occur from time to time. Overall, I highly reccomend this game if you are a fan of roguelike or survival games. Expand
  91. Jun 23, 2016
    This is a hard game, but I ain't complainin'. RTS is not my strongest suit, either, I really didn't expect to get as into this as I did, albeit I did play this pretty casually. How could I resist? It's charmingly dark. All the creatures and characters were distinct and did their own little thing not to mention, and the unfolding story featuring Maxwell in Reign Of Giants was engrossing.This is a hard game, but I ain't complainin'. RTS is not my strongest suit, either, I really didn't expect to get as into this as I did, albeit I did play this pretty casually. How could I resist? It's charmingly dark. All the creatures and characters were distinct and did their own little thing not to mention, and the unfolding story featuring Maxwell in Reign Of Giants was engrossing. All the little mysteries are TOO COMPELLING. A game not to be missed! Expand
  92. Jul 24, 2016
    O Jogo é Ótimo e vai te fazer gastar horas tentando desbloquear e descobrir tudo que há no jogo, porém, como nada é perfeito, o jogo possui seus males, como as caríssimas DLCs e o Multiplayer, como eu me senti esfaqueado quando descobri que o multiplayer do jogo é um jogo diferente, mas mesmo assim, 10 para a história, 9 para os gráficos, 4 para o preço e 8 para a jogabilidade, o que daO Jogo é Ótimo e vai te fazer gastar horas tentando desbloquear e descobrir tudo que há no jogo, porém, como nada é perfeito, o jogo possui seus males, como as caríssimas DLCs e o Multiplayer, como eu me senti esfaqueado quando descobri que o multiplayer do jogo é um jogo diferente, mas mesmo assim, 10 para a história, 9 para os gráficos, 4 para o preço e 8 para a jogabilidade, o que da uma média de 7/10 Expand

1. Jul 19, 2013
    Don’t Starve is a game for those who persevere. The infinitely playable survival RPG with an artsy appearance tests your endurance, but rewards players with a surprisingly unique experience.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    It's a game that just keeps giving, even as it tears your life from you. [Issue#136, p.110]
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    A refreshingly upfront experience, right down to the title. A game that shoves players into a complex, harsh world with little explanation, it can be tough to parse at first. But little by little, Don't Starve reveals itself via deep mechanics and an ever-evolving world. It started strong and got better.