8.3

1. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is so fun! This game is survival hardcore game. Play like character willson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home. Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures,This game is so fun! This game is survival hardcore game. Play like character willson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home. Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play it your own way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land. Expand
  2. Jul 15, 2013
    First think before we start: if you like challenges, know how to learn from your mistakes and improve yourself, then we are ok and you should totally buy this game, but if you get angry easily and can't deal with making silly mistakes then go away.

This game will make you a Bear Gryll (piss not included), this game will throw you into the wild and you will have to show 'em who's the man, you may die on the way (many times) but once you know how to make a nice shelter you should be somewhat ok... till you die exploring, i highly recommend to set the game to only summer on the settings, this way you will learn more things and probably survive twice the days that you would on a normal world.
  3. Jul 16, 2013
    I really like roguelike games, and this also has some of the crafting/exploring element that Terraria has, but this game is the dark to Terraria's light. While Terraria is fun, happy, and multiplayer, this game is fun but twisted and solitary.

Keep in mind the game is about survival, obviously, but you also will be crafting things, collecting resources, exploring and adventuring on a randomly made creepy island that slowly drives your character, as well as you the player insane, but in a good way.
  4. Aug 21, 2013
    I've been playing the game since it was on Early Access. I love the graphics, the tone and some gameplay aspects. This game is far from perfect, but it's really adorable and entertaining. Almost every 2 week there's a new update that adds features, objects, world animals and also characters. I think that in a year this game will get 1 more point if they add a multiplayer mode for 2 players.
  5. Aug 21, 2013
    A fun, cheap and rewarding game. A little bit of gather/eat/sleep grind but plenty there to keep you entertained for many hours. Might benefit from an RPG element as characters are a little 2-dimensional.
  6. Apr 23, 2013
    Don't Starve is a ultimate survival game, which allows you to play by many ways. Such things like randomized world, awesome craft and different characters gives you an unique adventure every time you push the start button.

Two other things that I like about game is a unique visual style and an regular updates. You can also offer a new ideas on the forum. What else can I say? Simply

What else can I say? Simply must have. One of the best indie game I ever played, and absolutely the best survival game for me.
  7. Apr 24, 2013
    It's like a Tim Burton style Minecraft.Seriously, that dark atmosphere sucks you in.You will spend your hours for this game, trust me.Buy it or trade it or win a giveaway or something but seriously, get this game
  8. May 24, 2013
    I really don't understand the good reviews as this game is nothing special. It gets repetitive very quickly as you need to do the same stuff over and over again.
    Game art is ridiculous for survival type of the game, everything is gray and unrealistic. The music is ok but other sounds are annoying.
    I really wanted to understand this game, but it simply isn't for me.
  9. May 28, 2013
    I wanted to like Don't Starve. It's a unique and intriguing game with a charming Tim Burtonesque paper art style.

Unfortunately, the game lacks any sort of significant hook to keep players coming back. After only a few games of Don't Starve I found myself extremely bored with the title as the game lacks addictive qualities. You spend your time in the game picking up resources which

You spend your time in the game picking up resources which are then crafted into tools for survival. This crafting system *could* have been the addictive hook for the game if recipes were kept a mystery ala Minecraft, but you can see all of the components needed for each craftable.

Each game is spent collecting resources and crafting with no other gameplay elements to speak of. It quickly becomes monotonous and tedious.

Don't Starve is missing that one last element to make it a fun and engaging game. Multiplayer capabilities, recipe discoveries, end game goals, terrain sculpting, any of these might give it that extra bit of flavor and make the endeavor seem less pointless.

As it stands the game is just too bland and narrow in scope.
  10. Sep 12, 2013
    This "game" has a wonderful art style, and an interesting concept. Sadly, it is not a game. There is no real campaign, no structure, and you can't really win. All you do is grind away endlessly, often encountering frustrating monsters that will instantly ruin hours and hours of game play...which doesn't really matter since there was no way to win anyway. Games that insist you "set yourThis "game" has a wonderful art style, and an interesting concept. Sadly, it is not a game. There is no real campaign, no structure, and you can't really win. All you do is grind away endlessly, often encountering frustrating monsters that will instantly ruin hours and hours of game play...which doesn't really matter since there was no way to win anyway. Games that insist you "set your own goals" or, in this case, "survive as long as you can" doesn't really have a purpose. I survived ten days...I win? Oh I survived 15 days...I win more? Maybe Don't Starve 2 will be a real game. Expand
  11. Apr 23, 2013
    Don't Starve is receiving the standard "Indie game devs games are always perfect" praise that most working indie games. Don't Starve seemed like an interesting concept, but not anything particularly new. It seemed to draw on elements of Minecraft, Terraria, and other survival based "Create your own adventure" sort of games. The problem with Don't Starve isn't that the game is really badlyDon't Starve is receiving the standard "Indie game devs games are always perfect" praise that most working indie games. Don't Starve seemed like an interesting concept, but not anything particularly new. It seemed to draw on elements of Minecraft, Terraria, and other survival based "Create your own adventure" sort of games. The problem with Don't Starve isn't that the game is really badly made or anything it looks fine and I didn't encounter any errors or glitches. The problem is the game becomes boring really quick. After I managed to survive for awhile I kept exploring and just didn't find anything but more of what I already had. You can craft better items and some can be helpful, but generally they just serve to help you do the same things over and over again quicker. I think the other reviewers were playing a different game, the crafting system in this game was very boring and uninspired. Literally the ingredients needed are listed and the crafted items generally either do the same things faster or they provide information that's not really that helpful. I found rocks to be very sparse compared to other resources in the game which required very lengthy expeditions to find new rock after all the relatively local rock was mined. While I didn't get bored of Minecraft until some time after I played it, same with Terraria I was bored of Don't Starve very quickly. It just felt tedious and boring. Parts of Minecraft and Terraria felt like this too, but they had their rewarding accomplishments. Don't Starve feels like a game that exists just to exist. When I inevitably died from lack of enough resources derived from rocks, I just had no real drive to try again. If you enjoy really repetitive games, you might like Don't Starve but I got bored with this one so quickly I got a refund while it was still a pre-order. I'm giving this game a decent score because it's not broken, it's just not that much fun. The game feels too limited about what you can build or do, so it really seems to lack the fun value of a Terraria or Minecraft kind of game. I love survival games, but this one just lacked any real interesting elements to it. Minecraft and Terraria may not be survival games at their core but they had more enjoyable survival elements than Don't Starve by far. Expand
  12. May 10, 2013
    You're dropped off in the middle of some parallel universe, with nothing. Your immediate goal is to collect the materials necessary to build and maintain a fire before the end of dusk, or else unspeakable horrors will devour you whole in the black of night. In order to survive, you'll have to mine, hunt, kill, forage, farm, stockpile, build, and prepare for Winter. If you fail to performYou're dropped off in the middle of some parallel universe, with nothing. Your immediate goal is to collect the materials necessary to build and maintain a fire before the end of dusk, or else unspeakable horrors will devour you whole in the black of night. In order to survive, you'll have to mine, hunt, kill, forage, farm, stockpile, build, and prepare for Winter. If you fail to perform sanity restoring actions like sleeping and picking flowers, you will slowly drift into insanity, where your own demons await. And, one, last, very important thing: DON'T STARVE!

This game is awesome ^_^ Sandbox, strategy, rpg, with monsters and magic. It is a game of exploration, and survival. If you turn it into a game of grind, then I think you're doing it wrong. Of course stockpiling for Winter is a big part of the game, but you must move around the world (and far away from whatever home you create for yourself) in order to progress.
  13. Jun 26, 2013
    The gameplay aspect is pretty much right where I want it. Deep, challenging, and replayable. A few too many "screw you" things that can happen (those tree monsters that follow you until you're dead for no reason) but overall, the gameplay is solid. But the art style is just disgusting to me. It's a game in love with tim burton to a fault. If this game had a decent art style I'd be playingThe gameplay aspect is pretty much right where I want it. Deep, challenging, and replayable. A few too many "screw you" things that can happen (those tree monsters that follow you until you're dead for no reason) but overall, the gameplay is solid. But the art style is just disgusting to me. It's a game in love with tim burton to a fault. If this game had a decent art style I'd be playing it right now, but something about the scribble-doodle art style just doesn't lend itself well towards a game that you're supposed to play again and again. An adventure game? sure. But the gameplay just can't make up for the fact that I feel like I'm playing a papercraft game with art consisting of 15 bucks thrown at deviantart commissions from tim burton fans. Expand
  14. May 8, 2013
    I have a Steam account with a massive backlog of games, some even AAA budget titles but they'll have to get in line behind this little indy title. The perma death seemed a little harsh at first but if you can past that, there's a gem of a game here.
  15. May 21, 2013
    This is definitely one of my favorite games in the past couple years. Survival elements seem too harsh at first, but seems easy once you've started figuring things out. (if you're having trouble, look up recipes for the crock pot). Insofar as that, I'd say the game is immersively complex without being complex to the point where you give up.

The game is full of variety, and the massive

The game is full of variety, and the massive dev updates (instead of spitting out garbage DLC) makes you want to buy the game multiple times just because you know you short-changed the dev by only paying what was asked. The art style is excellent, though the fake 3D engine has obvious drawbacks. Enemy variety and drops are particularly excellent. Even though common enemies drop the same items almost every time, those enemies' drops are needed for progression in crafting and survival in general.

Every single mechanic flows exceptionally well together, unlike anything I've before seen in a game. There's never a time when I said "why's this mechanic or item even in the game?" (well, okay except the pumpkin jack-o-lantern that was relatively useless?) I played this game with my wife at the same time, and we both loved it. We swapped stories about what does what, and how to interact with in-game objects in a new way.

This game should be an example for game developers in maintaining a sense of wonder by not revealing everything to the player right away. It's very similar to Binding of Isaac in this way or Nethack, along with many other roguelikes. There's just a TON of content, without any of it being forced on you, so unlike the many linear games AAA releases bring.

As others say, the game does eventually get "old" once there are fewer new things coming up on you. The dev updates are wonderful, but if you've already explored the vast majority of the game, adding 2-5% more content isn't really enough. It's the same with mods and the modding community. Modding is "semi-supported" (maybe more like "barely tolerated"), and there are some good ones which enhance gameplay, but there are no decent overhauls, which is unfortunate. I look forward to playing the game again in a year or so, knowing there will definitely be enough content for me to jump back in and enjoy myself.
  16. May 8, 2013
    Greatest game of the year. No other game has managed to capture the essence of survival quite like this one. Klei Entertainment is without a doubt a company of geniuses.
  17. Jun 3, 2013
    Don't Starve is a really fun, challenging and sometimes frustrating survival game. It has some really simple, but stylish graphics (reminds me of some kind of Tim Burton drawings), The day/ night cycle and lighting effects are also right. The animation of the characters are very fluid. The camera is from a top down view with a slight perspective, it can be rotated by 45 degrees, but theDon't Starve is a really fun, challenging and sometimes frustrating survival game. It has some really simple, but stylish graphics (reminds me of some kind of Tim Burton drawings), The day/ night cycle and lighting effects are also right. The animation of the characters are very fluid. The camera is from a top down view with a slight perspective, it can be rotated by 45 degrees, but the objects and characters are both stylish 2D sprites. In overall, it looks good and artistic!

The gameplay is extremely challenging and fun at the same time, however, sometimes it can be boring, so you should have some breaks sometimes. In the game itself, you start in nowhere with your selected character. Each characters have different perks (more health, bigger stomach, longer beard(!), and other special abilities), but you can start only with one. You need to progress in the game to unlock other characters.You need to collect things, combine them into tools, food, equipment, and also you need to fight against monsters and animals and against your own sanity! Character can become insane and he/she will hallucinate and the mental attacks can become physical attacks, it can kill you.

Sound effects are cool, the music is also good too. I'm not good at describing sounds, so I don't go in-depth.

Replayablity is great. The world is random generated, and can give the player new challenge all the time. Also, there is an adventure mode, which is accessible through a portal from the normal game mode. Also, the game is frequently updated, so the developers fixes bugs and puts new contents in it. The latest update has caves too, which is a really cool feature. It simply deserves a 9 of 10. It's fresh, interesting, and challenging, but not recommended for casual gamers. Of you like challenging survival games, this is for you!
  18. May 6, 2013
    My initial reaction to this game is pretty good. At a first glance it reminded me of Diablo (II) with the top down adventure and a splash of gloominess. Then you get that minecraft feel from exploring around and trying to figure out what makes what, and what is useful. When you first start playing it may seem pretty plain Jane but there is a robust gameplay that hides beneath the surface.My initial reaction to this game is pretty good. At a first glance it reminded me of Diablo (II) with the top down adventure and a splash of gloominess. Then you get that minecraft feel from exploring around and trying to figure out what makes what, and what is useful. When you first start playing it may seem pretty plain Jane but there is a robust gameplay that hides beneath the surface. I highly recommend studying the wiki for a bit to get you going at a faster pace! So far, I can’t stop playing it! As long as the flow of content updates keeps coming I think this game has great potential. For those of you who liked Terarria, Minecraft, Diablo, and a dark sense of humor, BUY THIS! Expand
  19. May 3, 2013
    An example of a perfect Survival game. The music, art and characters are excellent too. I really hope this game gets the "Best Indie Game" in the VGA's
  20. May 8, 2013
    This game is really enjoyable, it is fun to play, there are tons of feature and regular updates that add to the fun. The only problem is the difficulty: your first few games are going to be very, very short. This game can be played again and again once you are a bit experienced, so even if you die at your first night... try again!
    There are many ways to survive, and to play. Yes,
    There are many ways to survive, and to play. Yes, sometimes it will be a bit repetitive, but it really worth it.
    (By the way, I'm french, sorry for my bad english)
  21. May 28, 2013
    This game is a survival game and has Adventure mod witch gives you 1 or 2 characters,It's avarage game for me,the world is limited,the invetory is limited,you finish it by completing the adventure mod.
    You have 4 important game keys to watch out
    You have 4 important game keys to watch out
    1.Sanity The most important you must see forever beacuse sometimes you dont know if a petal is poisonous or a mushroom.When you have sanity 5 to 25,monster spawn surround you even if it day or night,they kill you
    2.Time this is the second important thing to see on your screen if you dont build any campfire or any pit fire you will get killed by monster or natural monsters(spiders...)
    3.food bar i think you know it
    4.Health this is the third important thing.
    The game art style is great,the background music is great,the AI is not too bad but not too good,the game itself is great.
    i hope this enough,9/10 MUST TRY
  22. Apr 24, 2013
    Very fun game, great music. Great game over all, but the game gets pretty repetitive after a while. Its very fun for about 10 to 15 hours, after that, that's about it. This game is very fun though i recommend it.
  23. Apr 24, 2013
    The game is amazing overall the combat is great, the scavenging for items is great, and the hardcore survival right as you think it's getting easy, winter arrives and you are struggling for survival, is also very fun. I think the game deserves every bit of credit for it's great gameplay and awesome survival aspect. The price of the game on steam is phenomenal for just $13.49 at the momentThe game is amazing overall the combat is great, the scavenging for items is great, and the hardcore survival right as you think it's getting easy, winter arrives and you are struggling for survival, is also very fun. I think the game deserves every bit of credit for it's great gameplay and awesome survival aspect. The price of the game on steam is phenomenal for just $13.49 at the moment because of the 10% off. The one and only thing I have a problem with in this game is......... NOTHING. I can't think of anything that would make me not want to play this game. Expand
  24. Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't starve gives no tutorial, it punishes every mistake and hardly rewards you when you do good.
    In other words, it is a rouge like. A survival-adventure rouge like.
    No, a BRILLIANT survival-adventure rouge like with a spiffing art style and sounds.
    Everything can kill you, nothing is easy and the world keeps throwing horrifying monsters and other dangers at you; Yet it never feels unfair, you can kill the monsters, you can get out of the traps, you can survive.
    And that's not all, there are five other characters to unlock who all have their own set of powers, stats and personality's.
    And I must say, the characters are so well made that they feel like real people.
    But that's just survival mode.
    There's a door hidden somewhere in the world, a doorway to adventure.
    What lies beyond is a set of five extremely difficult levels that does everything in its power to stop you from reaching the next level.
    It may sound hard, impossible, even, but it's the only way to get to unlock the last two characters and to find Maxwell and find out the secret of the world you are stuck in...

And as the game is still receiving regular content patches everything above will improve in every way.

TL;DR: Don't starve is hard but fair with tons of content and I highly recommend it to all fans of the survival genre.
  25. Ndi
    May 3, 2013
    A compact game, very addictive, very few bugs, quite nice time waster, quick to load and play and no major annoyances.

A well deserved 9. I'd say 10, but it's a bit expensive for such a game that could have been a free flash game with little difference. As it will drop in price, most likely, soon (this review is about a week after release), I warmly recommend it.
  26. May 5, 2013
    This game might seem silly first, but it's far from it anyone who loved Minecraft will definitely love this

The game's art is refreshing and it's dark humor is even better. Game utilizes crafting system that's extremely basic compared to Minecraft but it seems to be best that way. You need to build "Science machines" to research for magic, armors weapons etc. When it's night

The game's art is refreshing and it's dark humor is even better.

You need to build "Science machines" to research for magic, armors weapons etc.

When it's night time you need to build a fire and stay near it otherwise a giant invisible monster gets you,

Overall, this game is a refreshing change it knows how to keep you entertained through the game with the weather changes AND with the sanity/food bar system.
  27. Apr 26, 2013
    Pros: +Art style is very reminiscent of something tim burton would do.
    +Fantastic character designs.
    +It's a very quirky and funny game overall. +Randomly generated worlds make every adventure feel different (to an extent). +Combat can be quite fun with a nice variety of ways to defeat enemies +You can farm, trap animals, fight, do magic, and fight against going insane among other
    Pros: +Art style is very reminiscent of something tim burton would do.
    +Fantastic character designs.
    +It's a very quirky and funny game overall.
    +Randomly generated worlds make every adventure feel different (to an extent).
    +Combat can be quite fun with a nice variety of ways to defeat enemies
    +You can farm, trap animals, fight, do magic, and fight against going insane among other things.

Cons: -Not very noob-friendly in the beginning (if you're having trouble surviving then check out the forums on steam or klei's website).
    -The crafting system should be even deeper in my opinion.
  28. Jul 14, 2013
    I thought this game was great for the first few hours because I could see the potential for what it might be. However, this game is literally about grinding yourself to death. The only way to learn about what kills you is to be killed by it. Every time you die, you have to start a new game. So, literally you are grinding with the expectation of dieing in order to learn something new aboutI thought this game was great for the first few hours because I could see the potential for what it might be. However, this game is literally about grinding yourself to death. The only way to learn about what kills you is to be killed by it. Every time you die, you have to start a new game. So, literally you are grinding with the expectation of dieing in order to learn something new about the game and avoid dieing the next time around.

I think the game designers were very lazy. The menu system is broken and inadequate. They intentionally hide relevant details from you to make the game more difficult and mysterious. They tell you not to go to the wiki because it reduces the "adventure" effect, but you absolutely need the wiki to tell you basic things that should be indicated within the game.

I only spent a few bucks on the game, but I'm still disappointed enough to come here write a review about how absurd this supposedly innovative game truly is. I would highly advise that you buy the game, play it, and then go the game maker's website and give them an ear full about whatever you think so that they can further improve this game. I think you'll find these other reviewers who game the game a 3 or less are spot on with their assessment.
  29. Jun 1, 2013
    The only reason this game is so popular is because it's been on the steam homepage for months. Really, months. Even longer than Bioshock Infinite. Why? I have no idea maybe the developer knows someone in Valve. In any case, it's half-decent as far as indies go, but there are much, much better (including Mark of the Ninja and Shank 2, both by the same developer as this). I would waitThe only reason this game is so popular is because it's been on the steam homepage for months. Really, months. Even longer than Bioshock Infinite. Why? I have no idea maybe the developer knows someone in Valve. In any case, it's half-decent as far as indies go, but there are much, much better (including Mark of the Ninja and Shank 2, both by the same developer as this). I would wait for this to be in a bundle before getting it, it's a pretty slow clickfest. Fun for the first time you play it, but it takes a ridiculously long time to get to the mid-game, which severely limits its replay value. Expand
  30. Apr 25, 2013
    My first survival adventure game and I love it. Some people say it gets boring and repetitive after a while but I've already played 15 hours for 13$ and I had a blast. Now even if I never played it again I still think that 80c an hour is pretty good value And with the promised updates I am pretty sure I will try it at least for a few more hours with every update and as far as I know thereMy first survival adventure game and I love it. Some people say it gets boring and repetitive after a while but I've already played 15 hours for 13$ and I had a blast. Now even if I never played it again I still think that 80c an hour is pretty good value And with the promised updates I am pretty sure I will try it at least for a few more hours with every update and as far as I know there are like 6 of them coming.But frankly I see myself playing it at least a couple more times in the next few days since I only got to day 28... 7 days into a surprise winter. I tought winter will come like at day 150 or something Expand
  31. Jun 25, 2013
    I think this game is $12 now. Based on my rule of at least 1hr per dollar, you will get your moneys worth. There is quite a bit of content and playability.

The game really revolves around collecting basic ingredients and crafting them into survival gear/items. You are going to want to collect food RIGHT away, you will get hungry fast. You are going to want to cook this food with fire. You are also going to want to build tools like axes, pickaxes, etc and harvest quite a bit of raw materials. Then you are going to want to build science machines in order to build better tools/survival gear/weapons.

Combat is fairly basic, click and run is the general tactic. I really think this is a wiki friendly game despite spoilers. You should learn about what items you want and how to craft them by searching a wiki.

This is really a fun game that I've been playing since January. The Devs have released a ton of content and fixes since then and continue to update once a month or so. I'm only marking it down 2 pts for its grindy nature after a while. Really its worth a look and WAY better than most major label games, especially for $12
  32. Apr 25, 2013
    Wilderness survival with highly stylized aesthetics. You can find inspiration from other survival type games, but this one is unique and full of innovation. It has a dark and challenging tone throughout the game and it will keep you on the edge of your seat. If you play this game, remember nothing is certain, you never know when your next breath is your last.
  33. Apr 28, 2013
    If your a fan of survivalist games, this should be in your steam library. It offers what you can expect from a survival game and makes you really think about your characters survival. You start by getting plunged into a new different world with no idea what's going on. Collecting resources, food and anything else needed for your survival. Every time you start a new world you learn a newIf your a fan of survivalist games, this should be in your steam library. It offers what you can expect from a survival game and makes you really think about your characters survival. You start by getting plunged into a new different world with no idea what's going on. Collecting resources, food and anything else needed for your survival. Every time you start a new world you learn a new thing about the game and a new way of fighting for survival.
    The art style of this game only makes it better, the cartoon look to the plants, monsters and the rest of the world only makes me love this game more.

A great game and a must buy!
  34. Apr 24, 2013
    While very late to the build and survive theme, it still offers some enjoyment. There is no story and no plot (well maybe some in the adventure mode) and all you have to do is survive as long as you can or want. You have three stats. Health, Hunger and Sanity. You start out with some instructions for tools to get you started and then you're on your own to explore a world mixed withWhile very late to the build and survive theme, it still offers some enjoyment. There is no story and no plot (well maybe some in the adventure mode) and all you have to do is survive as long as you can or want. You have three stats. Health, Hunger and Sanity. You start out with some instructions for tools to get you started and then you're on your own to explore a world mixed with forests, deserts swamps and more. The longer you survive the more Experience Points you earn and each level unlocked unlocks a new character with its own unique skill. The price is a tad too much so I'd wait for a sale or a dollar drop. It's sandbox so after all, it's repetitive, but it needs to be. The world customization is very touch. Everything is set as default, the problem is when clicks "more" or "less" the unbalance between them literally makes them one click from "not enough and must start new game" to "too much and no skill required." It's fun for a thirty to sixty minute play, but you can (and will) become bored very quickly so don't play it in huge amounts of time. Expand
  35. Jun 15, 2013
    So as you can tell by the 10 given I absolutely love this game I have owned this game since December 1st when it was still in development and have well I would say wasted but I don't feel like I wasted time on this game since it is so much fun. The art is great controls are smooth its not glitchy and as long as you keep adventuring it doesn't get boring. The developers are very good too.So as you can tell by the 10 given I absolutely love this game I have owned this game since December 1st when it was still in development and have well I would say wasted but I don't feel like I wasted time on this game since it is so much fun. The art is great controls are smooth its not glitchy and as long as you keep adventuring it doesn't get boring. The developers are very good too. The fact that they tell you how many days until the next update just brings joy to me. SO yes I would recommend this game. Expand
  36. Jul 23, 2013
    Duh, too many to discover, too many, I don't know, too long died, but keep playing! Discover, craft, fight, eat, survive, collect, don't starve! I like it, hope you like it too!
  37. May 25, 2013
    Don't Starve is A very Great game i think, but it takes really long time too begin, and it bores me a bit, so i've only played it like 3 hours, but a good time-waster! So if you like Tim Burton Art, this is the game for you!
  38. Dec 5, 2013
    A failed experiment at game making, this game is repetitive and boring soon after the initial exploration and trail and error novelty wear off. Permadeath makes this game pointless to ever waste your time even trying to enjoy it. Its supposed to be hardcore but is laughably easy once you realize how to exploit the gameworld.

The forums of the game makers are full of rude people that

The forums of the game makers are full of rude people that attack any member who doesnt believe the game is perfect, which is a good indication this game will never be changed for the better, as the developers coddle the dysfunctional few fans the game has.

Save your money and get an actual fun game.
  39. Apr 29, 2013
    I haven't played it too much recently. but when i did it was good fun. i like the concept but i hope they keep the patches coming to make future improvements.
  40. Jan 12, 2015
    As is typical for survival games, completely retarded.

As is typical for survival games, completely retarded.

It takes three weeks to starve to death, not a few days. Fresh water is much more important. The rapidly dropping mental strength is also ridiculous. Mental strength typically increases in a survival situation over time as a person comes to accept their fate and simply begins working on necessities. Contrary to popular belief, humans are very good survivors.

Science structure was also idiotic. What is so difficult about chopping down a tree, propping it up and then sleeping underneath it for shelter?

Why is there no mental boost from fire?

Total immersion loss at all times. Could not enjoy. Would not recommend.
  41. Jul 30, 2013
    I bought this because I loved the art style. I didn't think I'd like the rogue aspect (permadeath), but it quickly grew on me. I personally don't care for Minecraft (compared to a lot), this game feels very different. While there is resource gathering, there is always a strategic aspect where you need to balance different needs and use your time effectively. Because of that it never feelsI bought this because I loved the art style. I didn't think I'd like the rogue aspect (permadeath), but it quickly grew on me. I personally don't care for Minecraft (compared to a lot), this game feels very different. While there is resource gathering, there is always a strategic aspect where you need to balance different needs and use your time effectively. Because of that it never feels like grinding. I keep finding more depth to both the crafting and the world itself too, so after 20 or so hours I'm far from bored. Easily my favorite game of the year, thanks to Don't Starve I was able to take a proper break from League of Legends! Expand
  42. Nov 20, 2013
    Can a game be good and bad at the same time? To me, Don't Starve fills both roles and leaves me with mixed feelings. This game is fun the first few play through's. You're learning and adapting and dying and all the while it's fun and rewarding. Then you survive your first winter and realize there really isn't much more to the game beyond finding food everyday and picking saplings andCan a game be good and bad at the same time? To me, Don't Starve fills both roles and leaves me with mixed feelings. This game is fun the first few play through's. You're learning and adapting and dying and all the while it's fun and rewarding. Then you survive your first winter and realize there really isn't much more to the game beyond finding food everyday and picking saplings and grass. On my 2nd play through I survived 72 days and ended up committing suicide because the game had lost all meaning.

The problem is not that the game is bad. The problem is that the game looses it's reward system once you grasp the basics of it. The mood of the game is great, the setting is nice, the art style is spot on, but once you've played for a few hours the wonder ceases. If we look at Minecraft's rewards, yes you spend hours grinding away, mining blocks, but then you turn them into works of art and mechanical systems only limited by your minds eye. If we look at Unreal World, you spend months hauling logs and barely catching enough fish to survive. When you finally get your log cabin built and you spend the first night sleeping, not in a lean to, but a house you built with your own hands and sweat you feel like you really accomplished something.

Compare that with Don't Starve where you are not able to built a real house, only walls and a floor. No door or bed is included in the crafting recipes. No place to call home. You can make a bed roll that's only good for one night and leaves your overly starving. Or you could build a tent, at a fairly high cost to silk, that only lasts for 6 uses and leaves you begging for food. Yes, sleeping punishes you by making you nearly starve to death. Apparently sleep increases your metabolism five fold. Most nights you will find yourself, waiting till daylight, around a campfire just wasting IRL time.

All that being said, there is a great game here. It's fun to play, even if it's just for a few hours at a time. There is great potential within it's construct. I really hope the developers continue to expand and provide more rewards to players. At this time I can't suggest buying the game full price. If you find it for under $10 then consider it, otherwise just put this on your wishlist and check back in a year's time to see how it's progressed.
  43. Jul 28, 2013
    This is a great game that I'd recommend to anyone, particularly those who enjoy survival horror. The basic premise is that the game is a survival game with a focus on hunger, that, once you die, your world is erased and you must start again. There are many ways to avoid this fate, but ultimately you will die or decide to start a new world.

The overall mechanics of the game fit

The overall mechanics of the game fit brilliantly together. It might seem frustrating to lose a character and world, but the more engaging parts of the game are the exploration, construction and attempts to survive. Dying means you have a chance to start again, taking your past mistakes into account. You construct, craft and collect, like in many current survival games, but don't expect some Minecraft survival clone because of the presence of a pickaxe. Once you get past the basics, like cutting trees, the game veers off in a widely different direction, focusing on your hunger, sanity and health, and not building pretty constructs. Combat is not one of the game's strong points, and you will have to fight monsters at some point. Most combat can be avoided, but at some point you will have to fight to advance and survive.

This game has an art style that suits the style of the game. Rather than try to make the strange creatures fit into some realistic art style, they have decided to go with a "weird and dark" art style that is somewhat reminiscent of a cartoon. If it seems pretentious or silly to you, try to look past that. Once you get into the game you'll appreciate it. A standard art style for modern survival horror games would look cheap and uninspired if used in Don't Starve.

The usage of sound really amplifies the feelings of loneliness, danger and creepiness that the game will put you through, as well as giving you clear indictation of state, overall creating an immersive atmosphere.

Don't Starve is a fun, immersive, engaging game that lives up to both the title and the reviews. Like many other modern indie games this game does not have a tutorial or a definitive guide. A lot of the negative reviews for Don't Starve focus on this, or are a result of it. Do yourself a favour and spend the first few hours playing without a guide, and once you've learned all you can without the Wiki, start using it. You'll be surprised how much you can learn without a guide as long as you're aiming to learn.
  44. Jul 30, 2014
    This game is quite hard in the beginning until you get the grasp of it. I played many hours of it until it started to haunt my dreams. I was literally playing it through the night so I had to stop and unistall it. But really it is a great game. Damn the hounds!
  45. Jun 22, 2014
    This game isn't for me, too much time investment and grinding for very little reward. I've never been a fan of rogue-like games so if you're reading this review and you tend not to like rogue like games you might want to pass.

If you do like rogue like games and wish they had crafting then hey, this is probably going to be a great game for you. I'll stick with Terraria/Starbound/Minecraft/etc. to fill my sandbox needs which are in my opinion superior to this game in every way. There are way more 10's given to this game than it deserves.
  46. Aug 2, 2013
    Następna po Minecraft'cie (i Terrari)tak dobra gra survivalowa. Rozbudowana, ciekawa klimatycznie, posiadająca wiele ciekawych pomysłów gra survivalowa. Pomimo tego że jest ona ogólnie uważana za idealną, według mojej opinii ma parę wad. Sam świat jest za mało rozbudowany, jest wręcz "nudny". Graficznie też nie zaskakuje(Minecraft na przykład ma system rozwalania terenu). Jest to jednakNastępna po Minecraft'cie (i Terrari)tak dobra gra survivalowa. Rozbudowana, ciekawa klimatycznie, posiadająca wiele ciekawych pomysłów gra survivalowa. Pomimo tego że jest ona ogólnie uważana za idealną, według mojej opinii ma parę wad. Sam świat jest za mało rozbudowany, jest wręcz "nudny". Graficznie też nie zaskakuje(Minecraft na przykład ma system rozwalania terenu). Jest to jednak wciąg tytuł w który naprawdę powinno się zagrać.
    Moja ocena 8/10
  47. Aug 21, 2013
    Don't starve is easily one of the best games i played in a very long time.
    Not starving is a difficult task where you must "multitask" your gameplay to achieve all elements necessary to your survival.
    The game offers various environments and a lot of different resources to handle,with whom you can build more or less complex tools that may aid you in your journey. Surely one of the best
    Don't starve is easily one of the best games i played in a very long time.
    Surely one of the best indie games i played.
    This is not a 10 just because i don't think it's totally perfect.
  48. Dec 21, 2013
    This is a game I want to like the art's good, the sound's good, but nothing can help the horrible core mechanic. You click on things on the ground, and pick them up. For hours. It's incredibly dull. Once in a while, you'll run into a horrible monster that instakills you. Then you start all over.

Because the core mechanic is so bad, you can't help but notice the other flaws that pop up all over the place. Why doesn't the game just pause while I read the crafting recipes? How come when I chop apart a gold vein, the gold sometimes gets hidden under a worthless flint? When I cut down a tree, why do the logs always land "behind" another tree, so I have to rotate the screen or cut down the other tree to get them? When I'm running away from a horrible monster, why does my character always try to stop and cut down trees instead? etc. etc.

These minor frustrations bring down an already poor game to being a terrible game.

Overhyped, overpriced.
  49. Nov 5, 2013
    This is a tamed Minecraft within the mind of Tim Burton. Although it is a sort of pretty game during the game, at night it becomes a dark world where fire is your best friend. It makes you feel accomplished during a successful night, but once you die you feel like you're a failure.
  50. Jun 13, 2014
    First the good.

The cel-shaded cartoonish art style is timeless and very merciful on older PCs. The character and level progression feels natural and fulfilling. The updates are constant; smaller patches are free. Now the bad. Roughly 95% of this game is a grind. You need to eat? Go find berries. Or craft a trap and hunt a rabbit. How do you craft a trap? You'll need branches
    First the good.

The cel-shaded cartoonish art style is timeless and very merciful on older PCs.
    The character and level progression feels natural and fulfilling.
    The updates are constant; smaller patches are free.

Now the bad.

Roughly 95% of this game is a grind. You need to eat? Go find berries. Or craft a trap and hunt a rabbit. How do you craft a trap? You'll need branches and grass. Each of those actions has an obnoxious animation and that hunger meter is ticking all the while. Along with half a dozen other meters; failing to fulfill any one of which leads do death. Which is permanent, by the way.

This is the type of game that will screw you over each chance it gets. Your options are to accept you're going to be dying all the time or play with the wiki open on your second monitor. You didn't know you needed an absurdly rare and difficult to obtain machine at the start of Summer? Too bad, your entire base just went up in smoke, along with the last 10 hours of your life. You're seeing the giant one-eyed monster for the first time? Better restart, the game might as well be over with no food and no fire mid-winter.

There are options to resurrect upon death but they're few and generally have a hefty cost attached to them. A meat effigy will reduce your max health by a sizeable amount while life amulets are costly, reduce your efficiency while worn and break easily. Even worse, preparation takes time which turns an already very grindy game into one long, painful nightmare with nothing but a "Game Over" screen as a reward.
  51. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    ===========
    Do you like finding new things? Do you fancy the idea of no hand-holding? But do you hate starting all over again if you made a fatal mistake? Also do you hate grinding & repetition? But not the kind of grinding where you are furious of having to go through the same things again but the kind where you feel you are going somewhere & want to continue deeper?

If you answered 'Yes' to all of these questions then this game is for you.
  52. Jan 7, 2015
    Don't Starve is not just a game of survival. It is an adventure in which you start devoid of the essentials for survival. Searching for food , make a fire , a weapon with which to defend yourself. From there the exploration begins, the make you strong in an inhospitable world. You can play in several ways , creating a base where you strong or being a nomad and have several small sheltersDon't Starve is not just a game of survival. It is an adventure in which you start devoid of the essentials for survival. Searching for food , make a fire , a weapon with which to defend yourself. From there the exploration begins, the make you strong in an inhospitable world. You can play in several ways , creating a base where you strong or being a nomad and have several small shelters as you traverse the globe in search of objects that allow you to get out of this .
    The world where you appear is not the only thing you can visit the caves are much more dangerous , but instead find more useful items . Or find the portal to the world of adventures, where you propose several challenges and in case of death return to the original world as if nothing had happened. Hundreds of objects, characters and combinations. All your imagination quest to find that wants to create object with which to craft what you want .
    A world where not get bored as long as you do not die again and again . Recommended
  53. Aug 2, 2014
    Don't Starve is a game crammed with polish and creativity. The art and atmosphere are brilliant. Unfortunately, the game eventually lost me with its tedious foraging system. There are so many fun and original things you can do in this game, but it takes an absurd amount of grinding to get to those things. If the foraging was actually a challenge, the rewards might feel worth the grind,Don't Starve is a game crammed with polish and creativity. The art and atmosphere are brilliant. Unfortunately, the game eventually lost me with its tedious foraging system. There are so many fun and original things you can do in this game, but it takes an absurd amount of grinding to get to those things. If the foraging was actually a challenge, the rewards might feel worth the grind, but the foraging is not challenging, just busy work. I would have put a lot more time into this game if the recipes required fewer ingredients. However, I feel like I must not be exactly the target audience, so for what it is trying to be, Don't Starve succeeds. Expand
  54. Oct 29, 2013
    The art style, the humor, the charm, the sometimes brutal cruelty that the game slaughters you with horribly. The replay, the gameplay, The bitter winter chill that runs down your spine as you starve to death half insane during the winter. This game I fell in love with immediately, And honestly was the only game I played for almost a week after I got it.
    The game is not perfect, and is
    The game is not perfect, and is really I personally feel a niche genre game..though survival horror kinda games seem to be far more popular nowadays. But there in lies the problem as I think this is either a game you love or hate once again completely depending on if you like horror like survival games. And with that in mind its a hard game to recommend.
    Regardless my score is higher then I would probably normally rate it simply because of the games personality. I love so many thing about this game the art and the humor especially it just makes it different. And that has to count for something, the smile it keeps putting on my face certainly does.
  55. Jan 3, 2015
    I really dislike games that purport to be challenging when they are really just overtuned and random. This game is not a skill based game, nor will it test your intelligence. It will test your patience or, should you choose to use a wiki, it will test your reading comprehension. It is basically farmville for people that wouldn't be caught playing farmville.
  56. Nov 30, 2013
    This game is great combination of survival and fantasy. It puts you in a world in which everyone struggles to survive. I think that the depth of this game is impressive and one will not discover everything in any number of worlds. I do find the perma-death frustrating at the beginning, but after i learned what i was doing it was a pretty entertaining game. The gameplay and world areThis game is great combination of survival and fantasy. It puts you in a world in which everyone struggles to survive. I think that the depth of this game is impressive and one will not discover everything in any number of worlds. I do find the perma-death frustrating at the beginning, but after i learned what i was doing it was a pretty entertaining game. The gameplay and world are dynamic enough to keep me hooked to it for quite a few hours, and running low on food or other resources keeps adrenaline flowing, which i find impressive in a survival game. Expand
  57. Jul 14, 2014
    Great survival game. Like playing the life of Jeremiah Johnson in the dream world of Tim Burton. The developers continue to support it and bring new content, Co-Op MULTIPLAYER IS COMING! Also easily mod-able, lots of mods on KLEI's forums, and now Steam Workshop!
  58. Apr 3, 2014
    Don't starve is nice little game with very unique look & feel. It's immersing, addicting and has tons of stuff to do and explore. The basic idea is to gather/produce resources and upgrade your camp in order to survive in wilderness.

The main problem is that this game becomes very repetitive after a while. The way to success is basically just to gather and build as much stuff as possible which isn't all that entertaining in the long run. Also when you die, you really die and have to start from the beginning (with few exceptions). And then you have to do same steps all over again...

Still, you'll probably get more fun out of this than from many other titles. The game is also quite cheap so you're guaranteed to get at least your money's worth.
  59. Apr 17, 2014
    Don't starve + Dlc Reign of Giants is one of the best survival funny games i have ever tried.
    Goods and Foods:
    + original ways of survival + original and somehow sinister characters + no hand holding to the bathroom, son (the game will biatch slap you for mistakes) + your main and only goal is to survive and have fun (well unlocking new characters may be a goal too) + technology and
    Goods and Foods:
    + original ways of survival
    + original and somehow sinister characters
    + technology and magic working as one (yes this is not a warhammer game, son)
    + good 2D art and graphics
    + mods makes gameplay better
    +enjoyable sounds and soundtracks (just listen to Weiber)
    + good single player mission story

Bads and goofs:
    - really hard to master (way too much ways to die)
    - some level of grinding and repetitive tasks, that some people will not enjoy
    - don't read the wikipedia if you like nasty surprises
    - if you die (and don't have any means of ressurection) GAME TOTAL OVER ( you have to start from the begining of the main menu)
    - OOO THE IRONY... to wave of updates (7-14 days) gives new gameplay and fixes and you have to start a new game every time, if you want to enjoy them.
  60. Sep 1, 2013
    Don't Starve, a game built around a simple concept not starving that is executed very well. It personally took me a while to get into but there is quite a bit of content there to play with and with frequent updates and some nice mods thanks to the Steam Workshop now available it keeps me coming back. Unlike some games Don't Starve never loses its key element; even when you have a niceDon't Starve, a game built around a simple concept not starving that is executed very well. It personally took me a while to get into but there is quite a bit of content there to play with and with frequent updates and some nice mods thanks to the Steam Workshop now available it keeps me coming back. Unlike some games Don't Starve never loses its key element; even when you have a nice base set up you'll still be having trouble with not starving. Expand
  61. Aug 23, 2013
    I loved everything about this game! I love the artwork, the gameplay the sound board! Hell i even made this account so I could rate it! It's a fun learn-how-to-play-yourself game (I recommend a quick trip to the wiki for the basics) where you survive and thrive through day and night, summer and winter, or even combat starvation and wild animals! It has many different characters you canI loved everything about this game! I love the artwork, the gameplay the sound board! Hell i even made this account so I could rate it! It's a fun learn-how-to-play-yourself game (I recommend a quick trip to the wiki for the basics) where you survive and thrive through day and night, summer and winter, or even combat starvation and wild animals! It has many different characters you can choose from to suit your play style, and even a comedy one for the "hardcore" players who want a challenge. And with the ability to choose what spawn in your world and how it's created, this game can have you set a custom difficulty to help or challenge you. It is my favorite game and if you have $20 lying around go and buy it. However it has a slightly repetitive nature to it, and the adventure mode could still use some work, but with the frequent updates it will most likely become more than just a sandbox game. Expand
  62. Sep 1, 2013
    If you're looking for a fun indie survival game then this is the game for you. Provides a nice challenge with a lot to learn about. Game is updates every couple of weeks or so, so new content can always be expected. Recently got good Mod Support from the Steam Workshop with a lot of fun mods to mess around with. Can be a bit buggy at times. If you die your save is deleted and you have toIf you're looking for a fun indie survival game then this is the game for you. Provides a nice challenge with a lot to learn about. Game is updates every couple of weeks or so, so new content can always be expected. Recently got good Mod Support from the Steam Workshop with a lot of fun mods to mess around with. Can be a bit buggy at times. If you die your save is deleted and you have to start from scratch, unless you find some of the ways to revive yourself before actually dying. Very helpful wiki and a good forum presence. All in all a good game if you're looking for a fun survival game to play. Expand
  63. Oct 23, 2013
    hi there I'm writing about don't starve a brilliant adventure/simulation. After many updates it has certainly improved from the day it came out on steam. In this game you will face some challenging enemy,obstacles and biomes, as I can see there is mixed opinions on this game and yes it dose have its flaws and it dose have its strengths.The point I'm trying to make here is that it is a gamehi there I'm writing about don't starve a brilliant adventure/simulation. After many updates it has certainly improved from the day it came out on steam. In this game you will face some challenging enemy,obstacles and biomes, as I can see there is mixed opinions on this game and yes it dose have its flaws and it dose have its strengths.The point I'm trying to make here is that it is a game that should be bought and should be enjoyed no matter who's playing it. so i give a 9 out of 10. Expand
  64. Dec 1, 2013
    An absolutely amazing experience. Don't Starve is by far, one of the most compelling games I have tried in a long time: addictive, beautifully done and mysterious. If you have tried the game, you'll surely have the same love for the cardboard-cutout art work, the same sensations of terror when the light goes out and the joy of surviving that I do. The only thing that could have made thisAn absolutely amazing experience. Don't Starve is by far, one of the most compelling games I have tried in a long time: addictive, beautifully done and mysterious. If you have tried the game, you'll surely have the same love for the cardboard-cutout art work, the same sensations of terror when the light goes out and the joy of surviving that I do. The only thing that could have made this game better, would be a multiplayer option.
    Love it!
  65. Dec 20, 2013
    It is true that after you find out how to change worlds, it may become monotone but still, I guarantee you that this game will give you at least 30 hours of fun, and that's really something in today's gaming industry.And it is very very important that you discover EVERYTHING by yourselves in this game I think discovering these thing, finding out how to survive by dying continuously isIt is true that after you find out how to change worlds, it may become monotone but still, I guarantee you that this game will give you at least 30 hours of fun, and that's really something in today's gaming industry.And it is very very important that you discover EVERYTHING by yourselves in this game I think discovering these thing, finding out how to survive by dying continuously is the most entertaining thing in this game.I say buy it! Expand
  66. Dec 8, 2013
    I feel Don't Starve plays itself in 4 experiences of play. So I don't spoil anything, I won't go into too much details. Then again, a game like this doesn't really have "spoilers," considering everything you can do in the game is basically spelled out in the game creation mode.

When I first started, the struggle was making it through the night. "Oh great," I thought, "This is one of those "man I survived a whole 3 days in the horror" games where I brag about how hard it is. No thank you. Once I discovered how to start a fire and if you'll forgive the cliche, "didn't starve," the game became about figuring out how to build a settlement and where.

Once I found that out, it became a combination of Harvest Moon and aspects of Dwarf Fortress (admittedly, much simpler than each). So, I was out hunting for the essential materials to make my perfect hovel where I could survive basically any encounter. Again, I won't spoil it, but there were several times when I was definitely caught off guard by the game introducing a new challenge. The whole "Once you die, you're dead, restart" aspect became especially frustrating here, especially when you can survive 40-50 days without as much as a scratch, only for an unexpected monster to end you with relative ease.

This entered the 3rd phase: efficiency! I didn't need to get 50 of each item to survive, I could survive with far less. Heck, I could make multiple homes if I need to... there's plenty of resources if I know where to look. And I've now found a way to survive even if I get killed. I found more efficient foods, I can kill any monster that comes my way, and what's this adventure mode and cave mode I keep hearing about? I better check this out!

And now I'm exploring caves and what's beneath caves, trying to find the final guy, unlocking every character, working through the challenges of adventure mode, and realizing that I've logged over 100 hours in this game already. Wait a minute, isn't this a casual indie game? Isn't this one of those things where I can just sit down for 20 minutes and be satisfied?

If you're expecting casual, this is not your game. If you're looking for something that has the crafting and exploration complexity of Minecraft, but much more scaled down, then this may satisfy. I found myself often wanting to do more, and the exploration aspect only satisfies for a while. But like I said, I've put over 100 hours into this game, so it's doing something right... even if I've put it down out of boredom several times as well.
  67. Dec 19, 2013
    Very amazing game!! I love all the islands and you should really purchase this awesome game!!!!!

Lots of hard things to kill not to hard BESt GAME EVA
  68. Apr 29, 2014
    A great game to play on the go. It's fun and addicting, I recommended this game to anyone who wants to have great time for a couple of hours. It feels like Minecraft but it's not and thats a go thing.
    I give this game 8 out of 10.
  69. Jun 5, 2014
    This game is super addictive. I was really into it about a year ago, and now that the new DLC has come out I've been back into it again.

It's tough to master; learning how to efficiently balance your time, juggling different tasks. Doing scientific research allows you to build better, more efficient things leaving you with more time to get things done and live more comfortably. If you don't plan ahead you won't be prepared for the challenges presented by the upcoming seasons, and unscheduled attacks mean you need to be on your toes, ready to defend yourself at a moment's notice.

This is a very harsh survival game, especially when you're just learning to play. Once you die you start all over again, which can be frustrating. You can be 100 days in, marveling at all you've accomplished, and in one fell swoop it's all gone. It takes a lot of practice (and unfortunately, at times, some grinding) to survive long enough to explore the more advanced features. There is a lot to see, and when you can get there it's rewarding.

As unforgiving as the game is, it retains a good sense of humor and whimsy, and shows and appreciation for the absurd. Paper cut out style artwork like this has been done before, but the twisted and surreal style fits the tone of the game nicely.

Highly addictive and very fun. I love this game.
  70. Jun 10, 2014
    Muy interesante apuesta por la gestión de recursos y supervivencia, un ámbito que empieza a estar de moda. La sensación de mundo abierto y narrativa expansiva le da profundidad.
  71. Jun 12, 2014
    Эта игра,насколько я помню,в разработке с 3 квартала 2011 года.Тогда мне эта игра показалась какой-то простой и короткой.Сейчас я вам могу с уверенностью сказать,что она более чем оправдала все мои ожидания.Это игра просто хардкор. Это то,чего не хватает большинству новых игр,но там по мимо выживания и махания дубинкой целая куча возможностей,а также ты можешь сам выбрать как будешьЭта игра,насколько я помню,в разработке с 3 квартала 2011 года.Тогда мне эта игра показалась какой-то простой и короткой.Сейчас я вам могу с уверенностью сказать,что она более чем оправдала все мои ожидания.Это игра просто хардкор. Это то,чего не хватает большинству новых игр,но там по мимо выживания и махания дубинкой целая куча возможностей,а также ты можешь сам выбрать как будешь выживать: Построишь лагерь и плантациями,или быть кочевником.Выбор за вами.Это игра самый лучший Survival как по мне,но это также и прекрасный Адвенчур. Бегать по миру и исследовать его чертовски интересно.Ещё мне очень понравилось,что в Don't Starve где-то около десяти персонажей и каждый со своей способностью,что помогает вам выбрать "стиль жизни".Так что 10/10 Expand
  72. Oct 29, 2014
    This game, while relatively simplistic in it's approach manages to pull off something quite unique. It's styling gives it a really refreshing feel over other survival games that does it great credit, I feel like I'm in a Tim Burton movie, and there is even an Edward Scissorhands mod. I don't think that the games feature are groundbreaking compared to other survival games, not in theThis game, while relatively simplistic in it's approach manages to pull off something quite unique. It's styling gives it a really refreshing feel over other survival games that does it great credit, I feel like I'm in a Tim Burton movie, and there is even an Edward Scissorhands mod. I don't think that the games feature are groundbreaking compared to other survival games, not in the slightest, yet the art, sound and visuals make it really enjoyable.

I just wish that things such as the building of a fortress were better developed. Currently it's really quite simplistic... walls. But I can't help but wish that I could build a house with a ceiling.
    The soon to be released multiplayer element will breath new life into this very endearing game, perhaps new features will come along with it to make it a truely fantastic survival game and worthy of a top score
  73. Jun 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply is very good, the game has a very characteristic art. His soundtracks are fun, and the gameplay is simply amazing, I advise everyone to buy this game will give hours and hours of entertainment! Expand
  74. Jul 2, 2014
    Don't Starve - If you see the game for the first time, it looks fun, graphics and simple and nice, idea is good. It's seriously true.

Don't Starve will be very fun for everyone who likes survival games. You will have to check your hunger, sanity and health, and to balance everything, you will have to eat, as the title says: don't starve. Some food makes you be less hungry, some makes you be less sane(you can also see ghosts if you are not sane enough), etc. etc... That's not everything. There is also day-night cycle, summer-winter cycle, the game gets really harder and harder as you keep surviving so be prepared! There is also many characters with unique aspects to unlock as you survive, so the content is huge.

BUT... At the beginning, you will probably keep dying, then you go play again and find more content, then you die again, start again, find more content, die again, start again, die again... The game gets BORING more and more, because you make something wrong and you have to start again this whole process.
    LUCKILY... There is a Steam workshop, and if you get really bored, go find something that fixes your mood.

7/10 Try not to starve...
  75. Jul 15, 2014
    This game is fantastic, and is the very definition of roguelike. Even though it's already been released, it's still continually being worked on by the developers, in the form of the DLC and Don't Starve Together. I only have high hopes for further DLC, and for Don't Starve Together. The game is already great, however. Many compare it to Minecraft, though there are plenty of keyThis game is fantastic, and is the very definition of roguelike. Even though it's already been released, it's still continually being worked on by the developers, in the form of the DLC and Don't Starve Together. I only have high hopes for further DLC, and for Don't Starve Together. The game is already great, however. Many compare it to Minecraft, though there are plenty of key differences. Unlike other games, the developers listen to many of the community's suggestions on Klei Entertainment Forums. There's not much else to say about this incredible game. 10/10. Expand
  76. Feb 2, 2015
    Yay! This is cartoon survival game with a lot of content. In this game you need to... survive! But it's difficult, because most of creatures in Don't Starve want to kill or eat you. If you won't be killed by monsters, you will get killed by hunger. Or by cold. Or by hot. Or by anything. Looks enjoyable? Yes, but it get boring too fast, so don't play DS too long. Anyway, it is cool game. :3
  77. Zep
    Aug 12, 2014
    I am finding it very difficult why someone would hate this lovable game. It is truly an incredible experience that anyone of all ages and gender can enjoy. You start off as a mad scientist named Wilson, who has to survive in a harsh world filled with monsters and other beings. the goal of the game is to survive as long as you can. However if you do die, you lose all of your items and areI am finding it very difficult why someone would hate this lovable game. It is truly an incredible experience that anyone of all ages and gender can enjoy. You start off as a mad scientist named Wilson, who has to survive in a harsh world filled with monsters and other beings. the goal of the game is to survive as long as you can. However if you do die, you lose all of your items and are forced to reset the map, start over or just quit. However Wilson is not the only character. There is a large variety of characters with creative personalties. And on another topic, the graphics are extremely lovable and so is the catchy soundtrack. Good Job Klei Entertainment! Expand
  78. Sep 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is amazing, Picking up carrots.. Building a Trap out of Twigs and Grass then catching rabbit with it! This is just some of the great realistic survival skills you need too survive in this game! You can build Machines too make better things! And endless days of Survival against monsters, winter and everything else in the world as you spawn, And that's just without mods! Expand
  79. Oct 27, 2014
    Played about 40 hours so far. Concept similar to minecraft in a way but more focued on survival than crafting and building. Really interesting graphics although sometimes annoying when objects are hidden behind other object (although you can rotate the map). Can't wait for Don't starve together!
  80. Nov 12, 2014
    Best survival game i played one of best games i played best Indie game I played what to say more this one is very very nice I can recommend it 100% buy it have fun with it if You like survival games (also it is hard game) get it
  81. Nov 23, 2014
    One of the best indie games I've played. Very nice style all around, great balance making the game as hard as it promises. A very different survival game, which also is a lot better than other survival games.
  82. Dec 1, 2014
    This game has an overwhelming fun to price ratio. For just a few bucks you get tons of hours of nice gameplay, if you like survival games, along with some crafting, exploring, setting up bases etc, and it comes with several characters to play and even modding support.
    Difficulty varies, sometimes pretty hard, but once you played a while and managed to survive long enough to build up a decent base, food and item supplies, you basically "have won" that level, even there's no finishing.
  83. Feb 10, 2015
    It's a survival game done right. Devs were actively supporting the game with updates and the final result is fantastic. There's a variety of characters to choose from, each with it's own special abilities. The art style is incredible and really suits the game's nature.

On the other side though, it can get repetitive, but that doesn't make that bad. Don't Starve shows us that Early

Don't Starve shows us that Early Access games don't have to suck.

1. Jul 19, 2013
    Don’t Starve is a game for those who persevere. The infinitely playable survival RPG with an artsy appearance tests your endurance, but rewards players with a surprisingly unique experience.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    It's a game that just keeps giving, even as it tears your life from you. [Issue#136, p.110]
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    A refreshingly upfront experience, right down to the title. A game that shoves players into a complex, harsh world with little explanation, it can be tough to parse at first. But little by little, Don't Starve reveals itself via deep mechanics and an ever-evolving world. It started strong and got better.