8.3

1. AWG
    Jun 8, 2013
    Way too repetitive and random for my tastes. You basically keep doing the same thing over and over and over and if you're lucky you get to find useful thing (to build tools that help you to do that same thing again) and if you're not you die (and then you have to start it all from the very beginning). This game was fun for just a couple of hours, then it became a dead-end job.
  2. Jun 23, 2013
    An enjoyably hard wilderness survival adventure featuring everyone's favorite excuse for not creating a save system, permadeath! Don't Starve is a great "night cap" game; something you can play for a few in-game days, gathering mats, exploring for monster camps, or just trying to not starve. It's pretty relaxing (at least until winter) just gathering mats, unlocking new recipes and creating new tools to help you explore. With seven characters, each with their own personality and advantages, there is tons of replay value with every enormous randomly generated map (or one customized by you) providing new challenges. The most frustrating element isn't the randomization for once; I feel that the permadeath is unnecessary and Don't Starve would benefit more from a checkpoint system.

Overall this is worth the asking price if you enjoyed Minecraft or Terraria and are looking for a deeper, more difficult single player experience in the survival genre.
  3. Nov 2, 2013
    Imagine you're trapped in a Tim Burton animation and the only thing you have to do is stay alive using the things around you. Yep. That's this. Borrowing heavily from the survival and crafting mechanics of the likes of minecraft, this wonderfully stylized game manages to carve a niche of its own in a genre that is starting to get a little crowded.
  4. Jun 10, 2014
    Muy interesante apuesta por la gestión de recursos y supervivencia, un ámbito que empieza a estar de moda. La sensación de mundo abierto y narrativa expansiva le da profundidad.
  5. Jul 26, 2013
    The game is good overall, and it was very interested to play for 2 days. After that I got bored. Then another day of playing, and bored again. The good: - interesting art (I am not really a fan of this style myself, but still it's very cool) - great humor in many places (the sounds of the spiders attacking are excellent!). Really great humor - the game is done with style - i like that when you die you have to restart. I used to play ADOM a lot Actually, I expected a more difficult game after reading reviews, but Don't Starve is much easier than ADOM. I didn't even feel said when dying.
    The bad:
    - there is no wiki or any other info source inside the game. Namely, you have to jump into a wormhole and die so as to learn that wormholes kill you and you shouldn't jump into them. You have to die just because it got dark to learn that in darkness you die (wtf! this makes no sense) Same with most other stuff. I ended up just reading an inofficial wiki of the game to be able to understand most of the concepts. This is not a good sign at all! Sorry guys, but dying from something you couldn't even know is no fun.. It just teaches you that no matter what you do next time and no matter how good you play, you will die from something you didn't know until finally you have a feeling that it's pointless to keep repeating to just learn the game "the hard way" and quit.
    - combat is totally awkward. I died quite a few times just because I couldn't click precisely on a moving mob and the character would try to walk to the clicked spot instead of attacking the mob. Very frustrating. Actually, a SHIFT key should stop the character from moving and force a stationary attack, just like in Diablo 1.
    - no ranged weapons in the beginning of the game. I know, it's easier to make a spear than a bow, but there are lots of players like me who like ranged characters more than melee. You could make the bow a low damage weapon or introduce other disadvantage (limited arrows, slow reload time, low accuracy, whatever) but still let the player fight in his own style early.
    All in all, an artistically excellent game spoiled by bad combat system and lack of in-game help.
  6. Jul 11, 2013
    Well, i have to say this game is a great survival game and has an interesting design and i love artistic games like this one. Personally i didn't complete the adventure mode yet but i plan to, to unlock the last characters and the best part of this game is that almost (if not) every month, Klei Entertainment release a new update with new and useful stuff and now mods are supported. There was only some disappointing things:
    1. Combat I didn't like the combat, the monsters just destroyed me, and i know that i didn't played that much to get great equipment but anyway, the enemies where to strong for me;
    2. Adventure mode I don't like the way it was done, not being able to carry your equipment through the worlds but i guess that raise the difficulty and challenge and the portal to travel between the worlds that need to be found and sometimes can't be found because your generated world is stupid and confusing.

But overall the survival aspects, the hunger and the design of the game are awesome and deserve a 8. Maybe in some months i would give it a 9 if we get even better updates and i'm really hopping for multiplayer that was a big disappointment for me that the game didn't had one. I'm hoping the PS4 version brings one.
  7. Dec 31, 2013
    One of the most creative games I've ever played in my life. Imagine if Tim Burton, Minecraft and possibly Amnesia: The Dark Descent had a strange three-way kid. It's deeply interesting and too fun. The game can be very hard, but you're able to edit worlds to your liking and unlock new characters which adds more to the replay value.
  8. Jul 23, 2013
    Duh, too many to discover, too many, I don't know, too long died, but keep playing! Discover, craft, fight, eat, survive, collect, don't starve! I like it, hope you like it too!
  9. Sep 12, 2013
    This "game" has a wonderful art style, and an interesting concept. Sadly, it is not a game. There is no real campaign, no structure, and you can't really win. All you do is grind away endlessly, often encountering frustrating monsters that will instantly ruin hours and hours of game play...which doesn't really matter since there was no way to win anyway. Games that insist you "set your own goals" or, in this case, "survive as long as you can" doesn't really have a purpose. I survived ten days...I win? Oh I survived 15 days...I win more? Maybe Don't Starve 2 will be a real game. Expand
  10. Apr 29, 2013
    I haven't played it too much recently. but when i did it was good fun. i like the concept but i hope they keep the patches coming to make future improvements.
  11. Sep 17, 2013
    An excellent game. Bought it based upon the survival elements and price. Like other survival/exploration games (you know the ones) it offers longevity and quirky game play. Each time you restart you'll learn a lesson and do it better. My top tip is stock up on food early on until you can build traps. Initially it was (as the name suggests) starvation that finished me off. Similar to a Roguelike game, once you die that's it. No save game, restore point or trial and error. This makes you think carefully before attacking a spider nest or venturing too far from camp. Enjoy Expand
  12. Apr 24, 2013
    Very fun game, great music. Great game over all, but the game gets pretty repetitive after a while. Its very fun for about 10 to 15 hours, after that, that's about it. This game is very fun though i recommend it.
  13. Aug 2, 2013
    Następna po Minecraft'cie (i Terrari)tak dobra gra survivalowa. Rozbudowana, ciekawa klimatycznie, posiadająca wiele ciekawych pomysłów gra survivalowa. Pomimo tego że jest ona ogólnie uważana za idealną, według mojej opinii ma parę wad. Sam świat jest za mało rozbudowany, jest wręcz "nudny". Graficznie też nie zaskakuje(Minecraft na przykład ma system rozwalania terenu). Jest to jednak wciąg tytuł w który naprawdę powinno się zagrać.
    Moja ocena 8/10
  14. May 26, 2013
    Like some here have already mentioned it takes quite a while and grinding to get a good game going and there are so many things one can do that I spent more time reading guides on the web than actually playing. Which wouldn't be the case if it wasn't a permadeath game. In which case one could just enjoy the great, quirky design and the loads of possibilities of things to do in the world. But as it stands, I feel way too much pressure that I would want to bother finding out where to get a resource and how to build something. Expand
  15. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    Do you like finding new things? Do you fancy the idea of no hand-holding? But do you hate starting all over again if you made a fatal mistake? Also do you hate grinding & repetition? But not the
    kind of grinding where you are furious of having to go through the same things again but the kind where you feel you are going somewhere & want to continue deeper?

If you answered 'Yes' to all of these questions then this game is for you.
  16. May 11, 2013
    I don't get how people give this game such high scores. It's fun the first couple of playthroughs when you don't know what's going on and you're just exploring, but once you become a bit more familiar with it every playthrough is a 6 hour long grind to craft all the things you need, which can (and will) end abruptly by something just popping up and 2-shotting you. The grind turns from "tedious" to "completely unbearable" when you are trying to keep several pigs around so you can actually attempt to kill something. Let me put it this way, if you think this is "OMG SO HAERDCORE AND CHALLANGING", you are retarded, plain and simple. If you want a challenging game, go play the old Xcom games, this is not challenging, just repetitive and cheap, both in concept and execution. Expand
  17. Apr 24, 2013
    While very late to the build and survive theme, it still offers some enjoyment. There is no story and no plot (well maybe some in the adventure mode) and all you have to do is survive as long as you can or want. You have three stats. Health, Hunger and Sanity. You start out with some instructions for tools to get you started and then you're on your own to explore a world mixed with forests, deserts swamps and more. The longer you survive the more Experience Points you earn and each level unlocked unlocks a new character with its own unique skill. The price is a tad too much so I'd wait for a sale or a dollar drop. It's sandbox so after all, it's repetitive, but it needs to be. The world customization is very touch. Everything is set as default, the problem is when clicks "more" or "less" the unbalance between them literally makes them one click from "not enough and must start new game" to "too much and no skill required." It's fun for a thirty to sixty minute play, but you can (and will) become bored very quickly so don't play it in huge amounts of time. Expand
  18. May 21, 2013
    This is definitely one of my favorite games in the past couple years. Survival elements seem too harsh at first, but seems easy once you've started figuring things out. (if you're having trouble, look up recipes for the crock pot). Insofar as that, I'd say the game is immersively complex without being complex to the point where you give up.

The game is full of variety, and the massive
    dev updates (instead of spitting out garbage DLC) makes you want to buy the game multiple times just because you know you short-changed the dev by only paying what was asked. The art style is excellent, though the fake 3D engine has obvious drawbacks. Enemy variety and drops are particularly excellent. Even though common enemies drop the same items almost every time, those enemies' drops are needed for progression in crafting and survival in general.

Every single mechanic flows exceptionally well together, unlike anything I've before seen in a game. There's never a time when I said "why's this mechanic or item even in the game?" (well, okay except the pumpkin jack-o-lantern that was relatively useless?) I played this game with my wife at the same time, and we both loved it. We swapped stories about what does what, and how to interact with in-game objects in a new way.

This game should be an example for game developers in maintaining a sense of wonder by not revealing everything to the player right away. It's very similar to Binding of Isaac in this way or Nethack, along with many other roguelikes. There's just a TON of content, without any of it being forced on you, so unlike the many linear games AAA releases bring.

As others say, the game does eventually get "old" once there are fewer new things coming up on you. The dev updates are wonderful, but if you've already explored the vast majority of the game, adding 2-5% more content isn't really enough. It's the same with mods and the modding community. Modding is "semi-supported" (maybe more like "barely tolerated"), and there are some good ones which enhance gameplay, but there are no decent overhauls, which is unfortunate. I look forward to playing the game again in a year or so, knowing there will definitely be enough content for me to jump back in and enjoy myself.
  19. Ndi
    May 3, 2013
    A compact game, very addictive, very few bugs, quite nice time waster, quick to load and play and no major annoyances.

A well deserved 9. I'd say 10, but it's a bit expensive for such a game that could have been a free flash game with little difference. As it will drop in price, most likely, soon (this review is about a week after release), I warmly recommend it.
  20. May 7, 2013
    This game is similar to Minecraft's survival mode. You go around gathering resources to craft items, build, feed yourself, and make sure you don't go insane. The insanity meter is interesting because if forces you to do different things otherwise crazy things happen. Death is permanent, so if you die you have to start a new game. For a game that's supposed to be a time-waster and meant to be played multiple times, it progresses very slowly, and I find that a big issue. I can put in a few hours, finally feel like I'm getting somewhere, and then just like that I can die from monsters or something, and that makes the game feel tedious. If the game started off with some items, like a pick ax, and progressed faster, it would be much better. I would much prefer playing something like FTL which makes me feel like I'm getting a lot more done after playing a short period of time, and I don't mind starting a new game with FTL. This game suffers from that long grind that I'm not a big fan of. It's still worth checking out, but keep in mind of it's pacing. Expand
  21. Koo
    Jul 21, 2013
    Don't Starve is great fun in small doses. It has a certain charm about it I really like, and the gameplay is enjoyable too. For a game with no walk throughs or tips built-in, it is surprisingly easy to pick-up. Mouse cursor activated tooltips give you most of the information you need (e.g. what you need to build things) and beyond that, the game is about experimentation. And it is fun to explore. Don't Starve is one of those games where you will die several times before you make progress, but that's part of the fun in my opinion. Provided you are willing to learn from your mistakes, this is a very enjoyable game. The game's soundtrack is fantastic as well. 9/10 Expand
  22. May 24, 2013
    I really don't understand the good reviews as this game is nothing special. It gets repetitive very quickly as you need to do the same stuff over and over again.
    Game art is ridiculous for survival type of the game, everything is gray and unrealistic. The music is ok but other sounds are annoying.
    I really wanted to understand this game, but it simply isn't for me.
  23. May 18, 2013
    This game gets boring on some point, but it's fun for a while and definitely worth the money. Exploring and figuring out the survival strategies is interesting. Unfortunately once you got them all, there's not much else to do, other than repeating same patterns over and over. Much like in a real survival situation I guess. Still, you are likely to get decent amount of fun out of it. Think of it like this: many expensive games offer maybe 10 hours of story-driven playthrough, after which you'll be done with them; this one is certainly good for at least 10 hours. Expand
  24. Apr 3, 2014
    Don't starve is nice little game with very unique look & feel. It's immersing, addicting and has tons of stuff to do and explore. The basic idea is to gather/produce resources and upgrade your camp in order to survive in wilderness.

The main problem is that this game becomes very repetitive after a while. The way to success is basically just to gather and build as much stuff as possible
    which isn't all that entertaining in the long run. Also when you die, you really die and have to start from the beginning (with few exceptions). And then you have to do same steps all over again...

Still, you'll probably get more fun out of this than from many other titles. The game is also quite cheap so you're guaranteed to get at least your money's worth.
  25. Nov 20, 2013
    Can a game be good and bad at the same time? To me, Don't Starve fills both roles and leaves me with mixed feelings. This game is fun the first few play through's. You're learning and adapting and dying and all the while it's fun and rewarding. Then you survive your first winter and realize there really isn't much more to the game beyond finding food everyday and picking saplings and grass. On my 2nd play through I survived 72 days and ended up committing suicide because the game had lost all meaning.

The problem is not that the game is bad. The problem is that the game looses it's reward system once you grasp the basics of it. The mood of the game is great, the setting is nice, the art style is spot on, but once you've played for a few hours the wonder ceases. If we look at Minecraft's rewards, yes you spend hours grinding away, mining blocks, but then you turn them into works of art and mechanical systems only limited by your minds eye. If we look at Unreal World, you spend months hauling logs and barely catching enough fish to survive. When you finally get your log cabin built and you spend the first night sleeping, not in a lean to, but a house you built with your own hands and sweat you feel like you really accomplished something.

Compare that with Don't Starve where you are not able to built a real house, only walls and a floor. No door or bed is included in the crafting recipes. No place to call home. You can make a bed roll that's only good for one night and leaves your overly starving. Or you could build a tent, at a fairly high cost to silk, that only lasts for 6 uses and leaves you begging for food. Yes, sleeping punishes you by making you nearly starve to death. Apparently sleep increases your metabolism five fold. Most nights you will find yourself, waiting till daylight, around a campfire just wasting IRL time.

All that being said, there is a great game here. It's fun to play, even if it's just for a few hours at a time. There is great potential within it's construct. I really hope the developers continue to expand and provide more rewards to players. At this time I can't suggest buying the game full price. If you find it for under $10 then consider it, otherwise just put this on your wishlist and check back in a year's time to see how it's progressed.
  26. Jun 1, 2013
    The only reason this game is so popular is because it's been on the steam homepage for months. Really, months. Even longer than Bioshock Infinite. Why? I have no idea maybe the developer knows someone in Valve. In any case, it's half-decent as far as indies go, but there are much, much better (including Mark of the Ninja and Shank 2, both by the same developer as this). I would wait for this to be in a bundle before getting it, it's a pretty slow clickfest. Fun for the first time you play it, but it takes a ridiculously long time to get to the mid-game, which severely limits its replay value. Expand
  27. Jul 14, 2013
    Don't Starve seems the interesting game. The player is to survive as long as possible in a randomly generated location. Must include build a shelter, get food, build and sustain a fire, build tools, make clothes etc... Still performing the same steps the game becomes boring and the game does not have a deeper storyline and quests
  28. Aug 21, 2013
    I've been playing the game since it was on Early Access. I love the graphics, the tone and some gameplay aspects. This game is far from perfect, but it's really adorable and entertaining. Almost every 2 week there's a new update that adds features, objects, world animals and also characters. I think that in a year this game will get 1 more point if they add a multiplayer mode for 2 players.
  29. May 19, 2013
    Clever, excellent art style and general production quality, but once you get past the "oh gee" reaction it's just a grindy clickfest. It's a shame because much more is hinted at, but this just doesn't deliver.
  30. Apr 25, 2013
    I had good fun with this game for a few hours until I got really bored of it's repetitive nature, this game is solely base on the fundamentals of grinding, which is something that I detest and hate in games now.

I have come back to try the game every major beta update, but no update makes me want to continue playing, pick grass, pick sticks, cut this, dig that, catch animal, eat
    animal, all this for a little counter (days) to increase.

People are showing their love for an independent small game, but a userscore of 9.2 suggests this game is up there and past other games such as Tomb Raider (2013), Bioshock Infinity, Starcraft 2 HotS, etc, no it's not anywhere close to those. In fact I had more fun with free flash games for longer periods, I'm sorry Don't starve, I didn't like you very much!
  31. Apr 26, 2013
    Pros: +Art style is very reminiscent of something tim burton would do. +Fantastic character designs. +It's a very quirky and funny game overall. +Randomly generated worlds make every adventure feel different (to an extent). +Combat can be quite fun with a nice variety of ways to defeat enemies +You can farm, trap animals, fight, do magic, and fight against going insane among other things.

Cons: -Not very noob-friendly in the beginning (if you're having trouble surviving then check out the forums on steam or klei's website).
    -The crafting system should be even deeper in my opinion.
  32. May 15, 2013
    A fun game, with nice artstyle and gameplay mechanics. Aspects of survival adds depth to the adventure nature of the game itself and you can spend tons of hours playing this game, surviving for many days. But I still would want to play it in co-op with my friend.
  33. Sep 1, 2013
    Don't Starve, a game built around a simple concept not starving that is executed very well. It personally took me a while to get into but there is quite a bit of content there to play with and with frequent updates and some nice mods thanks to the Steam Workshop now available it keeps me coming back. Unlike some games Don't Starve never loses its key element; even when you have a nice base set up you'll still be having trouble with not starving. Expand
  34. Sep 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is amazing, Picking up carrots.. Building a Trap out of Twigs and Grass then catching rabbit with it! This is just some of the great realistic survival skills you need too survive in this game! You can build Machines too make better things! And endless days of Survival against monsters, winter and everything else in the world as you spawn, And that's just without mods! Expand
  35. Oct 29, 2013
    The art style, the humor, the charm, the sometimes brutal cruelty that the game slaughters you with horribly. The replay, the gameplay, The bitter winter chill that runs down your spine as you starve to death half insane during the winter. This game I fell in love with immediately, And honestly was the only game I played for almost a week after I got it.
    The game is not perfect, and is
    really I personally feel a niche genre game..though survival horror kinda games seem to be far more popular nowadays. But there in lies the problem as I think this is either a game you love or hate once again completely depending on if you like horror like survival games. And with that in mind its a hard game to recommend.
    Regardless my score is higher then I would probably normally rate it simply because of the games personality. I love so many thing about this game the art and the humor especially it just makes it different. And that has to count for something, the smile it keeps putting on my face certainly does.
  36. May 6, 2013
    How this got 76, I don't know. It's tons of fun. Sure, it is a little repetitive, but the same can be said for pretty much every game in this fashion out today.
  37. Jul 15, 2013
    A great game. I only gave it a 9 because it lacks co-op (not multiplayer, but co-op with maximum 2-3 players).

It has almost everything a survival game needs, and it is growing still with constant patching (free of charge).

Most of the bad reviews are made by people that can`t cope with dying in games (permanent death) or with harsh environments that punish bad decisions and rewards
    intelligence.

A beautiful, challenging game. Do yourself a favor and buy this game, it is really that good.
  38. Nov 1, 2013
    Although the concept isn't exactly original, the execution is incredible enough to make it different from anything else that tries to do the same things. Don't Starve has a very memorable artstyle and very distinct playable characters that aren't difficult to remember. This game throws you in the middle of no where, where you are expected to make use of your environment in ways almost no other survival game does; in order to survive.

This game literally goes down to the roots, where twigs, plants, and grass are all very useful resources that you have to rely on in order to survive. Almost nothing is useless, and a lot of it is essential. You can catch animals using traps, catch insects using nets, and even slaughter mutants and monsters. There are many different types of enemies as well, to the point where you'll stumble upon enemies you've never seen before and have no idea how they will react to your presence, let-alone what loot they carry and what benefits you gain for defeating them. That is real survival. The survival aspect of this game goes incredibly in-depth, there's just so much to it.

Once you die, you're dead for good. Your save gets deleted and you have to start over. But have no fear, the game rewards you depending on how many days you survive by giving you experience points. These experience points are built toward unlocking new characters, which all have unique attributes that make the game play differently.

Although it's a little difficult, Don't Starve is an incredible survival game. If survival games are your cup of tea, this game is a must-have.
  39. Nov 5, 2013
    This is a tamed Minecraft within the mind of Tim Burton. Although it is a sort of pretty game during the game, at night it becomes a dark world where fire is your best friend. It makes you feel accomplished during a successful night, but once you die you feel like you're a failure.
  40. Jun 26, 2013
    The gameplay aspect is pretty much right where I want it. Deep, challenging, and replayable. A few too many "screw you" things that can happen (those tree monsters that follow you until you're dead for no reason) but overall, the gameplay is solid. But the art style is just disgusting to me. It's a game in love with tim burton to a fault. If this game had a decent art style I'd be playing it right now, but something about the scribble-doodle art style just doesn't lend itself well towards a game that you're supposed to play again and again. An adventure game? sure. But the gameplay just can't make up for the fact that I feel like I'm playing a papercraft game with art consisting of 15 bucks thrown at deviantart commissions from tim burton fans. Expand
  41. May 28, 2013
    This game is a survival game and has Adventure mod witch gives you 1 or 2 characters,It's avarage game for me,the world is limited,the invetory is limited,you finish it by completing the adventure mod.
    You have 4 important game keys to watch out
    1.Sanity The most important you must see forever beacuse sometimes you dont know if a petal is poisonous or a mushroom.When you have sanity 5
    to 25,monster spawn surround you even if it day or night,they kill you
    2.Time this is the second important thing to see on your screen if you dont build any campfire or any pit fire you will get killed by monster or natural monsters(spiders...)
    3.food bar i think you know it
    4.Health this is the third important thing.
    The game art style is great,the background music is great,the AI is not too bad but not too good,the game itself is great.
    i hope this enough,9/10 MUST TRY
  42. Apr 24, 2013
    Very nice art style, and music. Gameplay wise, it may seem like other "survival" games out there, but this one is really different. Playing the game non-stop is not recommended; it may get too boring too fast, let this game be a break from other ones, and enjoy the experience as long as it lasts.
  43. Aug 2, 2014
    Don't Starve is a game crammed with polish and creativity. The art and atmosphere are brilliant. Unfortunately, the game eventually lost me with its tedious foraging system. There are so many fun and original things you can do in this game, but it takes an absurd amount of grinding to get to those things. If the foraging was actually a challenge, the rewards might feel worth the grind, but the foraging is not challenging, just busy work. I would have put a lot more time into this game if the recipes required fewer ingredients. However, I feel like I must not be exactly the target audience, so for what it is trying to be, Don't Starve succeeds. Expand
  44. Apr 29, 2013
    Don't starve is one of those games that you can put hours and hours into and still keep you playing. It gives the player loads of different things to do and they are still updating the game and adding new content. This game's art style is fantastic, it has a Gothic like feel. It is up their with the best survival games and sometimes makes you panic.

I bought this game in Beta and played
    it ever since. Sorry for saying this but it is almost like where Minecraft began in playing the game and adding content while you play whilst still keeping you griped in the game. I highly recommend this game and you can pick this game up for around £10 on steam.

Remember, Don't Starve!
  45. Apr 25, 2013
    My first survival adventure game and I love it. Some people say it gets boring and repetitive after a while but I've already played 15 hours for 13$ and I had a blast. Now even if I never played it again I still think that 80c an hour is pretty good value And with the promised updates I am pretty sure I will try it at least for a few more hours with every update and as far as I know there are like 6 of them coming.But frankly I see myself playing it at least a couple more times in the next few days since I only got to day 28... 7 days into a surprise winter. I tought winter will come like at day 150 or something Expand
  46. May 24, 2013
    Don't Starve was fairly entertaining for a good 10 hours or so, which is more than I can say for most indie games. However, Don't Starve can get very boring very quickly. First of all, the begging of the game essentially consists of you running around the wilderness to find a gold nugget for your Science Machine, which could take anywhere from 30 seconds to almost an hour of in-game time. After that you build a base, and gather materials, and you don't really have any goal to it all. From what I've read in the update logs, there is some sort of actual story mode, but I have not been able to access it yet. I would normally give a game a free pass for still being in-development, but it clearly states that Don't Starve has had a full release but is still being updated. Speaking of apparently being a "full release," I cannot access fullscreen mode until I go to the .ini files. Running a game in windowed mode is an immediate immersion breaker imo, which was rather disappointing, considering I didn't know I could fix this for the first couple of hours. In the end, I suppose Don't Starve is a decent enough survival game, but Terraria and Minecraft are both far better options at the moment. Expand
  47. Jun 25, 2013
    I think this game is $12 now. Based on my rule of at least 1hr per dollar, you will get your moneys worth. There is quite a bit of content and playability.

The game really revolves around collecting basic ingredients and crafting them into survival gear/items. You are going to want to collect food RIGHT away, you will get hungry fast. You are going to want to cook this food with
    fire. You are also going to want to build tools like axes, pickaxes, etc and harvest quite a bit of raw materials. Then you are going to want to build science machines in order to build better tools/survival gear/weapons.

Combat is fairly basic, click and run is the general tactic. I really think this is a wiki friendly game despite spoilers. You should learn about what items you want and how to craft them by searching a wiki.

This is really a fun game that I've been playing since January. The Devs have released a ton of content and fixes since then and continue to update once a month or so. I'm only marking it down 2 pts for its grindy nature after a while. Really its worth a look and WAY better than most major label games, especially for $12
  48. May 12, 2013
    First Indie game Ever not bored me when I play again and f*cking New game again, Huge World with Strange Species and You have to survive in it, how awesome!!. AMAZING GAME!!!
  49. May 23, 2013
    One of the best game-plays I have seen. Fun, very entertaining and difficult.

Focus is survival but in actuality it is more of base creation. You need to plan out well, make sure you survive through winter... that would be an accomplishment. Then next would be fighting the boss. That part I havent figure it out yet :)

But the devs are great for this game very nice updates to
    be expected and the game is quite stable upon release. I have not experience a single crash. This game is definitely a 10/10. I have more fun at this game compared to other triple A titles that focus more of graphics rather than gameplay. Expand
  50. May 8, 2013
    I have a Steam account with a massive backlog of games, some even AAA budget titles but they'll have to get in line behind this little indy title. The perma death seemed a little harsh at first but if you can past that, there's a gem of a game here.
  51. Jun 11, 2013
    Interesting game, I don't really have good words for it, but i loved the game, Its such a interesting type of game, survival and really open, i loved the game, i just don't give it a ten because it could use some good interesting story to make the best game ever, very cool.
  52. Oct 30, 2013
    I have been playing this game since November last year off and on and I am really impressed how the developers improved the core gameplay and added new content. At the end it is about Wilderness Survival, which is a very interesting topic on its own, but Klei Entertainment added their own flavour which makes this game so great. Be it the art style, the easy controls and the overall feel of the game, this is something special. The core gameplay mechanics work very well and provide the basics to the success of Don't Starve. The game and its flow seem so natural that you think how noone before them had the idea to make that kind of game. I think it works very well and every new game you start is a new experience. Expand
  53. Jun 13, 2014
    First the good. The cel-shaded cartoonish art style is timeless and very merciful on older PCs. The character and level progression feels natural and fulfilling. The updates are constant; smaller patches are free. Now the bad. Roughly 95% of this game is a grind. You need to eat? Go find berries. Or craft a trap and hunt a rabbit. How do you craft a trap? You'll need branches and grass. Each of those actions has an obnoxious animation and that hunger meter is ticking all the while. Along with half a dozen other meters; failing to fulfill any one of which leads do death. Which is permanent, by the way.

This is the type of game that will screw you over each chance it gets. Your options are to accept you're going to be dying all the time or play with the wiki open on your second monitor. You didn't know you needed an absurdly rare and difficult to obtain machine at the start of Summer? Too bad, your entire base just went up in smoke, along with the last 10 hours of your life. You're seeing the giant one-eyed monster for the first time? Better restart, the game might as well be over with no food and no fire mid-winter.

There are options to resurrect upon death but they're few and generally have a hefty cost attached to them. A meat effigy will reduce your max health by a sizeable amount while life amulets are costly, reduce your efficiency while worn and break easily. Even worse, preparation takes time which turns an already very grindy game into one long, painful nightmare with nothing but a "Game Over" screen as a reward.
  54. Apr 24, 2013
    The game is fun. Very fun indeed. But that fun doesn't last long. When I got it, I couldn't stop playing for about 3 days. I gifted a copy to my gf and she loved it. But after playing some times until day 30-60, that's it. After playing for a week every free moment my gf had, she never looked back. I checked the patchnotes from time to time, even started a few games, but never got into it again.

Well, there are many big name games that you can finish in one day, so one week of fun is pretty ok. I would recommend this game to everybody. Even players who don't like Minecraft or Terraria. This game is less special, more suited for any gamer. But at the end, it's a game that won't last like those other 2
  55. Apr 23, 2013
    Don't Starve is receiving the standard "Indie game devs games are always perfect" praise that most working indie games. Don't Starve seemed like an interesting concept, but not anything particularly new. It seemed to draw on elements of Minecraft, Terraria, and other survival based "Create your own adventure" sort of games. The problem with Don't Starve isn't that the game is really badly made or anything it looks fine and I didn't encounter any errors or glitches. The problem is the game becomes boring really quick. After I managed to survive for awhile I kept exploring and just didn't find anything but more of what I already had. You can craft better items and some can be helpful, but generally they just serve to help you do the same things over and over again quicker. I think the other reviewers were playing a different game, the crafting system in this game was very boring and uninspired. Literally the ingredients needed are listed and the crafted items generally either do the same things faster or they provide information that's not really that helpful. I found rocks to be very sparse compared to other resources in the game which required very lengthy expeditions to find new rock after all the relatively local rock was mined. While I didn't get bored of Minecraft until some time after I played it, same with Terraria I was bored of Don't Starve very quickly. It just felt tedious and boring. Parts of Minecraft and Terraria felt like this too, but they had their rewarding accomplishments. Don't Starve feels like a game that exists just to exist. When I inevitably died from lack of enough resources derived from rocks, I just had no real drive to try again. If you enjoy really repetitive games, you might like Don't Starve but I got bored with this one so quickly I got a refund while it was still a pre-order. I'm giving this game a decent score because it's not broken, it's just not that much fun. The game feels too limited about what you can build or do, so it really seems to lack the fun value of a Terraria or Minecraft kind of game. I love survival games, but this one just lacked any real interesting elements to it. Minecraft and Terraria may not be survival games at their core but they had more enjoyable survival elements than Don't Starve by far. Expand
  56. Apr 30, 2013
    Don't starve was a game that I was constantly looking at on steam, and finally decided to give it a go. I was a bit apprehensive but have not looked back. It has such a fun, addictive gameplay that it never seems to get old. Unlocking new characters, exploring new areas, and discovering new ways to die! Great graphics, great concept, and with extra content being released for 6 months after launch it will continue to be replayable. It will a game that will be easy to come back to in a years time and still have fun with it. Expand
  57. Aug 21, 2013
    A fun, cheap and rewarding game. A little bit of gather/eat/sleep grind but plenty there to keep you entertained for many hours. Might benefit from an RPG element as characters are a little 2-dimensional.
  58. Aug 30, 2013
    Its a survival with a dark mood to it. Its just too repetetive though. Especially the first week or so you kind of have to do the exact same things every time you play and it just makes it tedious. I think of you are really into survivals you have to try it though cause it has a lot of cool stuff in it. Good music, mysterious creatures and fauna. It looks original and the lore is creepy! It could have been great i suspect but the long start-up that looks the same everytime is moving me away from this game. Expand
  59. Nov 9, 2013
    This game is a very fun, unique game and its defiantly worth getting! The art style is fantastic and every time you play is a different experience! This game does not get old quickly!
  60. Jun 5, 2014
    This game is super addictive. I was really into it about a year ago, and now that the new DLC has come out I've been back into it again.

It's tough to master; learning how to efficiently balance your time, juggling different tasks. Doing scientific research allows you to build better, more efficient things leaving you with more time to get things done and live more comfortably. If you
    don't plan ahead you won't be prepared for the challenges presented by the upcoming seasons, and unscheduled attacks mean you need to be on your toes, ready to defend yourself at a moment's notice.

This is a very harsh survival game, especially when you're just learning to play. Once you die you start all over again, which can be frustrating. You can be 100 days in, marveling at all you've accomplished, and in one fell swoop it's all gone. It takes a lot of practice (and unfortunately, at times, some grinding) to survive long enough to explore the more advanced features. There is a lot to see, and when you can get there it's rewarding.

As unforgiving as the game is, it retains a good sense of humor and whimsy, and shows and appreciation for the absurd. Paper cut out style artwork like this has been done before, but the twisted and surreal style fits the tone of the game nicely.

Highly addictive and very fun. I love this game.
  61. Oct 29, 2014
    This game, while relatively simplistic in it's approach manages to pull off something quite unique. It's styling gives it a really refreshing feel over other survival games that does it great credit, I feel like I'm in a Tim Burton movie, and there is even an Edward Scissorhands mod. I don't think that the games feature are groundbreaking compared to other survival games, not in the slightest, yet the art, sound and visuals make it really enjoyable.

I just wish that things such as the building of a fortress were better developed. Currently it's really quite simplistic... walls. But I can't help but wish that I could build a house with a ceiling.
    The soon to be released multiplayer element will breath new life into this very endearing game, perhaps new features will come along with it to make it a truely fantastic survival game and worthy of a top score
  62. Apr 27, 2013
    I played this game non stop today and can't seem to stop playing it. Great atmosphere and unique art style Yes, it can get pretty repetitive at times but I absolutely enjoy every moment of it. This game has a lot to offer with different tools and creatures you face in your never ending quest to survive.
  63. Apr 23, 2013
    This is one fantastic game. This is very well set apart from other survival games such as Minecraft and the like, as it is one that allows you to learn lessons after death easier, as instead of adjusting the difficulty to peaceful, you have to restart all over again. This also has a far better adventure mode on it. There is also a far better sense of achievement to this game, as this game is far harder than other creative building games. All in all, I could give you millions more reasons to buy don't starve, but it's undeniably a solid 10/10. Expand
  64. Jul 15, 2013
    I was really pleasantly surprised by this game. It's a fantastic game if you enjoy trying to survive against all odds with no quest markers telling you where to go, no hand holding, no tutorial, just good old fashioned "figure it out yourself" gameplay. It's not overly complicated, it's really simple on the surface, but much more complex as you keep going and developing strategies to stay alive.

It reminds me very much of Minecraft survival mode, but in a much harsher world. I've already put many more hours into this $15 game than I have in my last three $60 games combined.
  65. Jul 2, 2014
    Don't Starve - If you see the game for the first time, it looks fun, graphics and simple and nice, idea is good. It's seriously true.

Don't Starve will be very fun for everyone who likes survival games. You will have to check your hunger, sanity and health, and to balance everything, you will have to eat, as the title says: don't starve. Some food makes you be less hungry, some makes
    you be less sane(you can also see ghosts if you are not sane enough), etc. etc... That's not everything. There is also day-night cycle, summer-winter cycle, the game gets really harder and harder as you keep surviving so be prepared! There is also many characters with unique aspects to unlock as you survive, so the content is huge.

BUT... At the beginning, you will probably keep dying, then you go play again and find more content, then you die again, start again, find more content, die again, start again, die again... The game gets BORING more and more, because you make something wrong and you have to start again this whole process.
    LUCKILY... There is a Steam workshop, and if you get really bored, go find something that fixes your mood.

7/10 Try not to starve...
  66. Jul 15, 2014
    This game is fantastic, and is the very definition of roguelike. Even though it's already been released, it's still continually being worked on by the developers, in the form of the DLC and Don't Starve Together. I only have high hopes for further DLC, and for Don't Starve Together. The game is already great, however. Many compare it to Minecraft, though there are plenty of key differences. Unlike other games, the developers listen to many of the community's suggestions on Klei Entertainment Forums. There's not much else to say about this incredible game. 10/10. Expand
  67. May 8, 2013
    Greatest game of the year. No other game has managed to capture the essence of survival quite like this one. Klei Entertainment is without a doubt a company of geniuses.
  68. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is a farming game, 95% of the time you grind stuff and hope you don't die during the night/ process. Don’t bother farming anything during the night. If you do, it’s “game over”—unless you've found a rare sacred stone or built yourself a meat sacrifice thing—which to even get to that level is a task in and of itself. If you love walking around and just clicking on different plants and running away from freaky long legged birds that kill you in 2 hits, then this is the game for you.

I only continued in hopes that it would eventually get better but it remained boring. I played about 14 hours of the game, it never got better. It got ‘different,’ but still ‘boring different’. Even after collecting half a dozen pigs in my man-pig army. The game wasn’t bad or poorly designed as a whole, it was simply boring. Grinding stuff the majority of the time is incredibly boring. I’d seriously rather just watch my cat groom herself for an hour in the same spot, over and over and over again. Games like Terraria and Mine Craft are fun when grinding, you can literally shape the world around you while you grind for stuff and even use the world to interact with on some level in real-time to fight or block off enemies. All of these great aspects you can't do in this game. It takes far more investment to get to any of these aspects and the pacing doesn’t allow for this in real-time because you’d die while trying to build anything.

I see the charm in their style and how this game paces itself with items and animations, I like that and it is interesting. But it doesn’t make up for a boring game which just becomes frustratingly difficult when they punish you every time you die. This is not an effective way to hook players in for more, difficulty does not equal fun. Mechanics equal fun, fun and engaging game mechanics. Yes games 15 even 20 years ago games were very difficult and unforgiving but because of their crude graphics and controls they needed fundamentally strong game mechanics. That they were difficult was an aspect of arcade gaming crossing over into consoles. Terraria is a great example of this because the game has little if any story at all, it is paced purely off the players choices and actions. The designers for Don’t Starve would benefit greatly from reading some books on game theory or taking a few courses for learning about game mechanics etc. Don’t bother wasting your time on this boring game, unless you’re into clicking stuff pointlessly for hours with no story at all and collecting imaginary digital shrubs, grass, rocks, etc. Or unless they come out with a seriously significant update that changes a major aspect of this game as a whole.

I can’t even begin to really describe to you how boring this game is, and I’ve play over a thousand hours on various grinding games. This takes the cake.

The Good:
    Charming Consistent Visual Style
    Animations and Sounds
    Simple UI and Menus
    Intuitive Controls

The Bad:
    Extremely Boring
    Horribly Unforgiving
    Too linear for its Genre for an Adventure is lacks story for Simulation it lacks interactions.
    If if they mean simulation as in a farm simulator... then yeah, move along and get Farm Simulator 2013, at least that game knows what it is. I can easily imagine Farm Simulator 2013 being 1000x more fun than this game.
    The UI for building and researching stuff could be a lot better; any means of finding out about the game you’d have to refer to a wiki site--and the developers don't want you to do that.
    And for an indie game as boring as this is, and charging more than 5 dollars with a serious face should be a crime, unless all the money is going to the sound and art guys then I support that.
  69. Apr 24, 2013
    It's like a Tim Burton style Minecraft.Seriously, that dark atmosphere sucks you in.You will spend your hours for this game, trust me.Buy it or trade it or win a giveaway or something but seriously, get this game
  70. Jun 22, 2014
    This game isn't for me, too much time investment and grinding for very little reward. I've never been a fan of rogue-like games so if you're reading this review and you tend not to like rogue like games you might want to pass.

If you do like rogue like games and wish they had crafting then hey, this is probably going to be a great game for you. I'll stick with
    Terraria/Starbound/Minecraft/etc. to fill my sandbox needs which are in my opinion superior to this game in every way. There are way more 10's given to this game than it deserves. Expand
  71. Nov 30, 2013
    This game is great combination of survival and fantasy. It puts you in a world in which everyone struggles to survive. I think that the depth of this game is impressive and one will not discover everything in any number of worlds. I do find the perma-death frustrating at the beginning, but after i learned what i was doing it was a pretty entertaining game. The gameplay and world are dynamic enough to keep me hooked to it for quite a few hours, and running low on food or other resources keeps adrenaline flowing, which i find impressive in a survival game. Expand
  72. Apr 24, 2013
    Been looking forward to this game and it does deliver!

Love the way u hav to figure everything out yourself... the feeling of discovery is really THERE!

great art style and great sound...

overall... real good fun...

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE AND DONT STARVE...DYING IS FUN...
  73. May 4, 2013
    Would wait for a few updates after it gets repetitive and gets a little depleted of resources. But its great with the aspects, gameplay and graphics!
  74. Jun 30, 2013
    How the hell is this anything like Minecraft or Terraria?
    It seems that any game that features survival is a Minecraft clone nowadays, this is a entirely different game from Minecraft or Terraria and focuses more on survival than building or mining as you have to gather food so that you don't starve and light a fire before night comes or you die instantly.

While mining and building are
    in the game they're not all that useful as you'll spend most of your time searching for resources to help you survive rather than creating walls as they can be a waste of resources that you needed to make into a trap or something.

Don't Starve features great artwork and music that add to the atmosphere of the game.
  75. Jul 16, 2013
    I really like roguelike games, and this also has some of the crafting/exploring element that Terraria has, but this game is the dark to Terraria's light. While Terraria is fun, happy, and multiplayer, this game is fun but twisted and solitary.

Keep in mind the game is about survival, obviously, but you also will be crafting things, collecting resources, exploring and adventuring on a
    randomly made creepy island that slowly drives your character, as well as you the player insane, but in a good way. Expand
  76. Apr 17, 2014
    Don't starve + Dlc Reign of Giants is one of the best survival funny games i have ever tried. Goods and Foods: + original ways of survival + original and somehow sinister characters + no hand holding to the bathroom, son (the game will biatch slap you for mistakes) + your main and only goal is to survive and have fun (well unlocking new characters may be a goal too) + technology and magic working as one (yes this is not a warhammer game, son)
    + good 2D art and graphics
    + mods makes gameplay better
    +enjoyable sounds and soundtracks (just listen to Weiber)
    + good single player mission story

Bads and goofs:
    - really hard to master (way too much ways to die)
    - some level of grinding and repetitive tasks, that some people will not enjoy
    - don't read the wikipedia if you like nasty surprises
    - if you die (and don't have any means of ressurection) GAME TOTAL OVER ( you have to start from the begining of the main menu)
    - OOO THE IRONY... to wave of updates (7-14 days) gives new gameplay and fixes and you have to start a new game every time, if you want to enjoy them.
  77. Aug 21, 2013
    Don't starve is easily one of the best games i played in a very long time.
    Not starving is a difficult task where you must "multitask" your gameplay to achieve all elements necessary to your survival.
    The game offers various environments and a lot of different resources to handle,with whom you can build more or less complex tools that may aid you in your journey.
    Surely one of the best
    indie games i played.
    This is not a 10 just because i don't think it's totally perfect.
  78. Dec 21, 2013
    This is a game I want to like the art's good, the sound's good, but nothing can help the horrible core mechanic. You click on things on the ground, and pick them up. For hours. It's incredibly dull. Once in a while, you'll run into a horrible monster that instakills you. Then you start all over.

Because the core mechanic is so bad, you can't help but notice the other flaws that pop up
    all over the place. Why doesn't the game just pause while I read the crafting recipes? How come when I chop apart a gold vein, the gold sometimes gets hidden under a worthless flint? When I cut down a tree, why do the logs always land "behind" another tree, so I have to rotate the screen or cut down the other tree to get them? When I'm running away from a horrible monster, why does my character always try to stop and cut down trees instead? etc. etc.

These minor frustrations bring down an already poor game to being a terrible game.

Overhyped, overpriced.
  79. May 1, 2013
    Great game, I followed it since it first appeared on Steam, and loved all the updates it got. It was like Minecraft experience all over again. I love when I can see all the new things being added And now after the release it's not over yet The devs will still keep new updates coming!
  80. Jun 3, 2013
    Don't Starve is a really fun, challenging and sometimes frustrating survival game. It has some really simple, but stylish graphics (reminds me of some kind of Tim Burton drawings), The day/ night cycle and lighting effects are also right. The animation of the characters are very fluid. The camera is from a top down view with a slight perspective, it can be rotated by 45 degrees, but the objects and characters are both stylish 2D sprites. In overall, it looks good and artistic!

The gameplay is extremely challenging and fun at the same time, however, sometimes it can be boring, so you should have some breaks sometimes. In the game itself, you start in nowhere with your selected character. Each characters have different perks (more health, bigger stomach, longer beard(!), and other special abilities), but you can start only with one. You need to progress in the game to unlock other characters.You need to collect things, combine them into tools, food, equipment, and also you need to fight against monsters and animals and against your own sanity! Character can become insane and he/she will hallucinate and the mental attacks can become physical attacks, it can kill you.

Sound effects are cool, the music is also good too. I'm not good at describing sounds, so I don't go in-depth.

Replayablity is great. The world is random generated, and can give the player new challenge all the time. Also, there is an adventure mode, which is accessible through a portal from the normal game mode. Also, the game is frequently updated, so the developers fixes bugs and puts new contents in it. The latest update has caves too, which is a really cool feature. It simply deserves a 9 of 10. It's fresh, interesting, and challenging, but not recommended for casual gamers. Of you like challenging survival games, this is for you!
  81. Jun 14, 2013
    Apparently one of many overrated and hyped Indie games that keep popping up recently.
    A simple, random generated arcade-ish clicking game in a line of: run around try to stay alive die randomly restart from scratch go again. Without any story, sense or even tutorial.
    You run around very basic, random generated islands, grinding various resources by clicking on objects like trees and
    rocks. Then you can create various tools out of resource so you can grind more. Rinse, repeat.
    With lack of any idea about what you should do and what to avoid, with no Save functionality, the game start to get very frustrating very soon, while also quite boring from repetition.
    People used to create this kind of simple games in Flash for free and there are still plenty of them available on the web if you so desire.
    The only new thing with this one is that somebody is not ashamed to charge $15 for it, and the only special thing about it is the hype that seem to surround it. Plus a self-proclaimed deep design philosophy explained by author(s?). I only found user un-friendlines though.
    The game is really not worth the price, no matter what the hype tells you.
    You can check 15minutes demo for free on Google Chrome web store and greatly advice it before buying.
  82. Apr 29, 2013
    It really is a shame that this one idiot reviewer on hardcoregamer knocked the score down so far on this game and couldn't even spell the main character's name right or decided for some reason not to review half the game and just complain about sandbox mode.

That being said, the people that are calling it repetitive or grind like probably didn't play this game's adventure mode (which is
    very challenging and often nerve wrecking) and stayed in sandbox. Sandbox mode is only to really get you adequate with the game's mechanics and such but after you get use to that and things become less dire, adventure mode is where you go for a challenge.

It is a good game and definitively worth the price tag. While it does have some cosmetic things in it it's mainly about survival. i've spent 120 hours on it so i've definitively got my monies worth. also you can adjust the difficulty in sandbox mode to make it even more challenging for yourself~
  83. Jul 30, 2014
    This game is quite hard in the beginning until you get the grasp of it. I played many hours of it until it started to haunt my dreams. I was literally playing it through the night so I had to stop and unistall it. But really it is a great game. Damn the hounds!
  84. May 2, 2013
    A darker game in the style of Minecraft and Terraria. The art of the game is highly stylized and reminiscent of such things as 'The Nightmare before Christmas.", moody and macabre but also quite pleasing and evocative, adding to the atmosphere of the game.

So far I have actually not a problem with the games main theme, i.e., I've never starved, but I certainly have been done in many
    other ways. Not an easy game, at least at first, but patience and persistence will be rewarded with a deep and enjoyable experience. Expand
  85. Apr 30, 2013
    I think this game is amazing. It is very fun, and I almost never get tired of it. It's true it can get repetitive but only in the middle because now with the new winter stuff something new happens about every 20 days. Also with games like these its hard to give a review because it may not look as good as the big title games, but it has way more re playability, and its cheaper. I would give it an 8.5 if I could because its can get a little boring but over all its really fun. Expand
  86. Apr 30, 2013
    Excellent Game Also Enjoyed Getting Team Fortress items, This Was a very simple game but put into a aspect that i never really Sean before. The Survival Actions will hook you in into a new world full Of Monsters, And Survival, This Is a very good game,
  87. Jun 5, 2013
    Don't Starve is a brilliant game in which you start out as a guy named wilson and you appear in the wilderness with a man named maxwell hinting you find food before it gets dark. You are left to fend for yourself in a natural survival game with animals that seem almost natural but some with a monsterous twist. Such as a plain old rabbit or the twisted deerclops you never know what to expect. The only minor criticism I have is that many new players are steered away from the game after dying after spending many hours with one character which can lead to some raging and smashing of computers :D Expand
  88. Dec 20, 2013
    It is true that after you find out how to change worlds, it may become monotone but still, I guarantee you that this game will give you at least 30 hours of fun, and that's really something in today's gaming industry.And it is very very important that you discover EVERYTHING by yourselves in this game I think discovering these thing, finding out how to survive by dying continuously is the most entertaining thing in this game.I say buy it! Expand
  89. Dec 8, 2013
    I feel Don't Starve plays itself in 4 experiences of play. So I don't spoil anything, I won't go into too much details. Then again, a game like this doesn't really have "spoilers," considering everything you can do in the game is basically spelled out in the game creation mode.

When I first started, the struggle was making it through the night. "Oh great," I thought, "This is one of
    those "man I survived a whole 3 days in the horror" games where I brag about how hard it is. No thank you. Once I discovered how to start a fire and if you'll forgive the cliche, "didn't starve," the game became about figuring out how to build a settlement and where.

Once I found that out, it became a combination of Harvest Moon and aspects of Dwarf Fortress (admittedly, much simpler than each). So, I was out hunting for the essential materials to make my perfect hovel where I could survive basically any encounter. Again, I won't spoil it, but there were several times when I was definitely caught off guard by the game introducing a new challenge. The whole "Once you die, you're dead, restart" aspect became especially frustrating here, especially when you can survive 40-50 days without as much as a scratch, only for an unexpected monster to end you with relative ease.

This entered the 3rd phase: efficiency! I didn't need to get 50 of each item to survive, I could survive with far less. Heck, I could make multiple homes if I need to... there's plenty of resources if I know where to look. And I've now found a way to survive even if I get killed. I found more efficient foods, I can kill any monster that comes my way, and what's this adventure mode and cave mode I keep hearing about? I better check this out!

And now I'm exploring caves and what's beneath caves, trying to find the final guy, unlocking every character, working through the challenges of adventure mode, and realizing that I've logged over 100 hours in this game already. Wait a minute, isn't this a casual indie game? Isn't this one of those things where I can just sit down for 20 minutes and be satisfied?

If you're expecting casual, this is not your game. If you're looking for something that has the crafting and exploration complexity of Minecraft, but much more scaled down, then this may satisfy. I found myself often wanting to do more, and the exploration aspect only satisfies for a while. But like I said, I've put over 100 hours into this game, so it's doing something right... even if I've put it down out of boredom several times as well.
  90. Oct 27, 2014
    Played about 40 hours so far. Concept similar to minecraft in a way but more focued on survival than crafting and building. Really interesting graphics although sometimes annoying when objects are hidden behind other object (although you can rotate the map). Can't wait for Don't starve together!
  91. Nov 12, 2014
    Best survival game i played one of best games i played best Indie game I played what to say more this one is very very nice I can recommend it 100% buy it have fun with it if You like survival games (also it is hard game) get it
  92. May 1, 2013
    Don’t Starve is one of those, firework kind of games, where you have this expectation of at least a good survival game, and it delivers. However, when the awe of the blast and colors dissipates you see what you are truly left with. Unfortunately, the fun of the games survival mechanic quickly turns into a horrible grind more frustrating and boring than even the most aggravating MMORPG.
    But this is not to take away from some of the games better points. Though the beginning of the game can eventually become a boring grind, especially if you die a lot, if you’re able to continue past the first winter you are golden and able to explore as much as you want. The biomes are beautifully done in the games unique art style, and almost seems to call for you to find out what is hiding around every corner.
    I loved the survival mechanic of eating, and that they added a very rarely seen mental aspect to the game that added a number of levels to the difficulty and the fun. I also liked the crafting system in the game and that for most of the tech all you needed was a science machine and the proper ingredients. And with the supplies you have gathered always at risk of going bad you find yourself constantly trying to improve the longevity of your provisions.
    The monsters, in the beginning, can be somewhat bland and boring, with spiders, the occasional wolf, and the beefalo wandering around, but with some searching and a little bit of luck you can stumble across some of the more interesting creatures in the game. I found that some of my favorites were the clockwork creatures, but only because I needed their guts in order to make my refrigerator.
    The combat is fairly simple in Don’t Starve, just click and kill. You do need to watch you distance from the larger enemies, because they don’t become stunned when attacking and they hit for massive damage, but for the most part they are all killable with a range of effort. There are a few ranged weapons, but they really don’t warrant much mentioning
    But is the game as a whole a good game?
    Yes it is. It’s the type of game that you can play when everything else had bored you and you want a challenge. It’s a welcome breath of fresh air and a look away from the perpetual easy mode that has plagued most games in recent years, and though the game can become quite the grind at certain points you cannot resist its unique charm and allure.
    This game gets a 6. It’s a Decent game and fun to play when you’re bored, but not something that you should really be killing to get.
  93. Jun 15, 2013
    So as you can tell by the 10 given I absolutely love this game I have owned this game since December 1st when it was still in development and have well I would say wasted but I don't feel like I wasted time on this game since it is so much fun. The art is great controls are smooth its not glitchy and as long as you keep adventuring it doesn't get boring. The developers are very good too. The fact that they tell you how many days until the next update just brings joy to me. SO yes I would recommend this game. Expand
  94. Jul 2, 2013
    A pretty good game, very good survival game, and THOSE GODDAMN HOUNDS! The Hounds are just, goddamn. Might as well put an entire video out of how to not die from the hounds.
  95. Jul 3, 2013
    I feel like some reviewers on here did not understand what this game is about. It is about SURVIVAL. The game does not hold your hand and tell you "shh shh child chop down that tree". It throws you in to a fight, flight, or die situation. The game constantly forces you to put yourself out there and prepare for a world thats only purpose is to kill you. If you die, then you die. No retries. (Well there are some ways you can come back.) I've played the game since its alpha release and I'm glad to say that I got to see it grow into a full immersive game. Complete with world customization and constructable objects/buildings. The world and the soundtrack that goes along with it is a perfect fit. The art style the game has seems like a Tim Burton style with a little less creepy. It fits well with the game.

The survival game now also has a story with recent updates. I won't spoil anything but even though it may just seem like another survival game the story is actually very compelling and actually makes sense why you are where you are.

TL;DR

Dont Starve is an awesome survival game. Buy it. Lose many hours of your life.
  96. Jul 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have mixed feelings about this game.

The few hours of this game is fantastic. The art style is beautiful and unique. A dark, bleak Tim Burton-esque cartoony look. The music is quirky and gets you in the mood. You are placed in the middle of a survival scenario with a short cinematic and no guidance with interesting looking objects to interact with. You are given absolutely no information on the mechanics of the game. There are three meters, health, hunger and sanity, but these are not explained. You are given a menu on the left of objects you can craft and the materials required, which are not many to start with.

The game is a survival simulator with heavy emphasis on exploration and crafting. Dying is permanent which is made very obvious at the beginning of the game. You will probably die immediately the first night not being told that not having a campfire leads to instant death. Most people will probably die of starvation at some point, they will die when they have their first monster battle without armor, and they will die at the completely arbitrary hound attack that occurs several hours into a playthrough. You lose everything when you die. The early game consists of picking twigs, berries, grass, and collecting wood. You can also dig up grass and saplings to start to cobble a base together. This is time consuming (partially because the animation of picking something which you have to do OVER AND OVER again is somewhat lengthy) and has to be repeated every time you die. You begin to fear death, to the point where you don't want to interact with anything that isn't obviously safe. Now the developer's recommend is to not read the online wiki to preserve mystery. But if death is SO harsh that I don't even want to experiment, is that fun?

Anyways I finally cave and look up the wiki. There is A LOT to the mechanics of this game. You will not be able to figure it out on your own because it is not really intuitive. I had to read the wiki for hours to get a handle on it. The in game descriptions of objects you can craft are laughably vague.

Combat is not fun, it is mainly just clicking an enemy over and over, but you are so easily overwhelmed by more than one enemy or a moderately strong enemy that the main strategy is using hit and run tactics, which isn't very gratifying. You can't wear armor and a backpack at the same time, so you have to switch rapidly into armor whenever you have an encounter. The one ranged weapon in the game I managed to build was the boomerang, which has limited uses and DAMAGES you on the way back if you don't "catch" it, which involves hitting the space key which may or may not work. This is not explained anywhere in the game, you have to look that up online.

The game is very tedious. There wasn't time to explore, nor any great desire to as none of the advanced crafting objects seem like they would make alleviate any of the busy work. You can build a better backpack, but that would slow you down. You could make better armor, but that would slow you down.

Finally I discovered that there is an active modding community. GREAT! It seems to address a lot of these issues. You can add separate slots for backpacks and amulets. Increase the stack size. Tweak the rate food spoils and how hungry you get. Increase the speed of harvesting grass and saplings. Resurrect at your campsite upon death. Increase the container size. Prevent tools and armor from degrading. This removes A LOT of the tedium from the game, and leaves you free to explore. What you discover however once the busy work is removed is there isn't much else to do. Building the advanced objects are not particularly useful or fun. The combat still is not too much fun. There just isn't any real goal.

There is an adventure mode that you have to discover in the game that involves finding various objects in special challenging levels that I think complement the game better, but it doesn't solve a lot of the fundamental issues.

I want this game to be awesome, but it just feels unbalanced and directionless. I find the lack of in game information detracts from the experience. The perma-death and difficulty by obfuscation is enraging and discourages exploration and experimentation. The game has conflicting goals, basically requiring you to set up a base but urging you to explore and be mobile. The crafting and base construction is not rewarding because there is little room for creativity, as most bases will probably look the same between users.

Perhaps with further updates and more mods this game will become more balanced, fun, and rewarding. But it's hard to recommend at the moment. It's for sure fun and addicting for a few hours. Ultimately it is a frustrating and incomplete experience.
  97. Feb 7, 2014
    In this game you get yourself spawned in the distant world where your aim is to survive (at least how its seems to me).

From my lives i died to wild bees trying to sack their hive, I ate wrong mushroom killing myself, I was killed by beefaloo when desperately trying to kill it to eat something or i'd die, i was eaten by wild dogs that came in the night to kill me, wild treant smacked me
    down when i burned half of the forest, I got lost in the dark and was killed by some demon, later I went insane and was killed by the shadow etc. etc. etc...

Its difficult, I keep dying but so far its still fun and I'm getting better. I heard rumors the winter is coming soon so now when I mastered staying alive in the summer I try to stockpile some food. Dunno if its going to be enough though. Because you never know what can happen next in this game :)

Worth the money for sure, and btw the visuals and animations are awesome.
  98. Jan 13, 2014
    A great game with a brand new concept that will, however, requieres time to adapt for the beginner. In fact, most of the time, the first games are conclude with a quick death...
    The art design is really beautiful, very inspired, and even if we can't talk about a proper story, the atmosphere create by the world and the creatures, and the possibility of finding an adventure mode, allowed
    us to be truly fascinated by the destiny of our character.
    Strongly addicitve, especially when we begin to have a powerfull equipement, the only default I can see is the impossibility of keeping trace of our best games. When our character die, we have to roll up again and restart from the beginning, which can be really disappointing when we made a good game.
  99. Apr 29, 2014
    A great game to play on the go. It's fun and addicting, I recommended this game to anyone who wants to have great time for a couple of hours. It feels like Minecraft but it's not and thats a go thing.
    I give this game 8 out of 10.
  100. May 10, 2013
    You're dropped off in the middle of some parallel universe, with nothing. Your immediate goal is to collect the materials necessary to build and maintain a fire before the end of dusk, or else unspeakable horrors will devour you whole in the black of night. In order to survive, you'll have to mine, hunt, kill, forage, farm, stockpile, build, and prepare for Winter. If you fail to perform sanity restoring actions like sleeping and picking flowers, you will slowly drift into insanity, where your own demons await. And, one, last, very important thing: DON'T STARVE!

This game is awesome ^_^ Sandbox, strategy, rpg, with monsters and magic. It is a game of exploration, and survival. If you turn it into a game of grind, then I think you're doing it wrong. Of course stockpiling for Winter is a big part of the game, but you must move around the world (and far away from whatever home you create for yourself) in order to progress.

1. Jul 19, 2013
    Don’t Starve is a game for those who persevere. The infinitely playable survival RPG with an artsy appearance tests your endurance, but rewards players with a surprisingly unique experience.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    It's a game that just keeps giving, even as it tears your life from you. [Issue#136, p.110]
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    A refreshingly upfront experience, right down to the title. A game that shoves players into a complex, harsh world with little explanation, it can be tough to parse at first. But little by little, Don't Starve reveals itself via deep mechanics and an ever-evolving world. It started strong and got better.