Don't Starve PC

8.3

1. May 7, 2013
    This game is similar to Minecraft's survival mode. You go around gathering resources to craft items, build, feed yourself, and make sure you don't go insane. The insanity meter is interesting because if forces you to do different things otherwise crazy things happen. Death is permanent, so if you die you have to start a new game. For a game that's supposed to be a time-waster and meant toThis game is similar to Minecraft's survival mode. You go around gathering resources to craft items, build, feed yourself, and make sure you don't go insane. The insanity meter is interesting because if forces you to do different things otherwise crazy things happen. Death is permanent, so if you die you have to start a new game. For a game that's supposed to be a time-waster and meant to be played multiple times, it progresses very slowly, and I find that a big issue. I can put in a few hours, finally feel like I'm getting somewhere, and then just like that I can die from monsters or something, and that makes the game feel tedious. If the game started off with some items, like a pick ax, and progressed faster, it would be much better. I would much prefer playing something like FTL which makes me feel like I'm getting a lot more done after playing a short period of time, and I don't mind starting a new game with FTL. This game suffers from that long grind that I'm not a big fan of. It's still worth checking out, but keep in mind of it's pacing. Expand
  2. Apr 24, 2013
    Very nice art style, and music. Gameplay wise, it may seem like other "survival" games out there, but this one is really different. Playing the game non-stop is not recommended; it may get too boring too fast, let this game be a break from other ones, and enjoy the experience as long as it lasts.
  3. May 1, 2013
    Great game, I followed it since it first appeared on Steam, and loved all the updates it got. It was like Minecraft experience all over again. I love when I can see all the new things being added And now after the release it's not over yet The devs will still keep new updates coming!
  4. May 11, 2013
    I don't get how people give this game such high scores. It's fun the first couple of playthroughs when you don't know what's going on and you're just exploring, but once you become a bit more familiar with it every playthrough is a 6 hour long grind to craft all the things you need, which can (and will) end abruptly by something just popping up and 2-shotting you. The grind turns fromI don't get how people give this game such high scores. It's fun the first couple of playthroughs when you don't know what's going on and you're just exploring, but once you become a bit more familiar with it every playthrough is a 6 hour long grind to craft all the things you need, which can (and will) end abruptly by something just popping up and 2-shotting you. The grind turns from "tedious" to "completely unbearable" when you are trying to keep several pigs around so you can actually attempt to kill something. Let me put it this way, if you think this is "OMG SO HAERDCORE AND CHALLANGING", you are retarded, plain and simple. If you want a challenging game, go play the old Xcom games, this is not challenging, just repetitive and cheap, both in concept and execution. Expand
  5. Jun 14, 2013
    Apparently one of many overrated and hyped Indie games that keep popping up recently.
    A simple, random generated arcade-ish clicking game in a line of: run around try to stay alive die randomly restart from scratch go again. Without any story, sense or even tutorial.
    You run around very basic, random generated islands, grinding various resources by clicking on objects like trees and rocks. Then you can create various tools out of resource so you can grind more. Rinse, repeat.
    With lack of any idea about what you should do and what to avoid, with no Save functionality, the game start to get very frustrating very soon, while also quite boring from repetition.
    People used to create this kind of simple games in Flash for free and there are still plenty of them available on the web if you so desire.
    The only new thing with this one is that somebody is not ashamed to charge $15 for it, and the only special thing about it is the hype that seem to surround it. Plus a self-proclaimed deep design philosophy explained by author(s?). I only found user un-friendlines though.
    The game is really not worth the price, no matter what the hype tells you.
    You can check 15minutes demo for free on Google Chrome web store and greatly advice it before buying.
  6. Apr 25, 2013
    I had good fun with this game for a few hours until I got really bored of it's repetitive nature, this game is solely base on the fundamentals of grinding, which is something that I detest and hate in games now.

I have come back to try the game every major beta update, but no update makes me want to continue playing, pick grass, pick sticks, cut this, dig that, catch animal, eat animal, all this for a little counter (days) to increase.

People are showing their love for an independent small game, but a userscore of 9.2 suggests this game is up there and past other games such as Tomb Raider (2013), Bioshock Infinity, Starcraft 2 HotS, etc, no it's not anywhere close to those. In fact I had more fun with free flash games for longer periods, I'm sorry Don't starve, I didn't like you very much!
  7. Nov 29, 2013
    This game is fun within a few days it gets really repetitive and gets boring it's the same old concept pick grass, mine that, pick that up, trap that, and survive, and all just to survive winter.
  8. Jul 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have mixed feelings about this game.

The few hours of this game is fantastic. The art style is beautiful and unique. A dark, bleak Tim Burton-esque cartoony look. The music is quirky and gets you in the mood. You are placed in the middle of a survival scenario with a short cinematic and no guidance with interesting looking objects to interact with. You are given absolutely no information on the mechanics of the game. There are three meters, health, hunger and sanity, but these are not explained. You are given a menu on the left of objects you can craft and the materials required, which are not many to start with.

The game is a survival simulator with heavy emphasis on exploration and crafting. Dying is permanent which is made very obvious at the beginning of the game. You will probably die immediately the first night not being told that not having a campfire leads to instant death. Most people will probably die of starvation at some point, they will die when they have their first monster battle without armor, and they will die at the completely arbitrary hound attack that occurs several hours into a playthrough. You lose everything when you die. The early game consists of picking twigs, berries, grass, and collecting wood. You can also dig up grass and saplings to start to cobble a base together. This is time consuming (partially because the animation of picking something which you have to do OVER AND OVER again is somewhat lengthy) and has to be repeated every time you die. You begin to fear death, to the point where you don't want to interact with anything that isn't obviously safe. Now the developer's recommend is to not read the online wiki to preserve mystery. But if death is SO harsh that I don't even want to experiment, is that fun?

Anyways I finally cave and look up the wiki. There is A LOT to the mechanics of this game. You will not be able to figure it out on your own because it is not really intuitive. I had to read the wiki for hours to get a handle on it. The in game descriptions of objects you can craft are laughably vague.

Combat is not fun, it is mainly just clicking an enemy over and over, but you are so easily overwhelmed by more than one enemy or a moderately strong enemy that the main strategy is using hit and run tactics, which isn't very gratifying. You can't wear armor and a backpack at the same time, so you have to switch rapidly into armor whenever you have an encounter. The one ranged weapon in the game I managed to build was the boomerang, which has limited uses and DAMAGES you on the way back if you don't "catch" it, which involves hitting the space key which may or may not work. This is not explained anywhere in the game, you have to look that up online.

The game is very tedious. There wasn't time to explore, nor any great desire to as none of the advanced crafting objects seem like they would make alleviate any of the busy work. You can build a better backpack, but that would slow you down. You could make better armor, but that would slow you down.

Finally I discovered that there is an active modding community. GREAT! It seems to address a lot of these issues. You can add separate slots for backpacks and amulets. Increase the stack size. Tweak the rate food spoils and how hungry you get. Increase the speed of harvesting grass and saplings. Resurrect at your campsite upon death. Increase the container size. Prevent tools and armor from degrading. This removes A LOT of the tedium from the game, and leaves you free to explore. What you discover however once the busy work is removed is there isn't much else to do. Building the advanced objects are not particularly useful or fun. The combat still is not too much fun. There just isn't any real goal.

There is an adventure mode that you have to discover in the game that involves finding various objects in special challenging levels that I think complement the game better, but it doesn't solve a lot of the fundamental issues.

I want this game to be awesome, but it just feels unbalanced and directionless. I find the lack of in game information detracts from the experience. The perma-death and difficulty by obfuscation is enraging and discourages exploration and experimentation. The game has conflicting goals, basically requiring you to set up a base but urging you to explore and be mobile. The crafting and base construction is not rewarding because there is little room for creativity, as most bases will probably look the same between users.

Perhaps with further updates and more mods this game will become more balanced, fun, and rewarding. But it's hard to recommend at the moment. It's for sure fun and addicting for a few hours. Ultimately it is a frustrating and incomplete experience.
  9. Aug 20, 2013
    This game has a lot of motion, but comparatively little action. Most of the game is grinding to collect, convert, research, and collect, mostly for the sake of itself. Though there are apparently some goals in this game, they are largely player imposed. The only game imposed goal (that I have seen) is to not die (starving, losing health), with anything above and beyond that being driven byThis game has a lot of motion, but comparatively little action. Most of the game is grinding to collect, convert, research, and collect, mostly for the sake of itself. Though there are apparently some goals in this game, they are largely player imposed. The only game imposed goal (that I have seen) is to not die (starving, losing health), with anything above and beyond that being driven by the player. The title says it all Don't Starve setting the goal of avoiding a negative condition. Meeting any positive condition is entirely up to the player. Expand
  10. Jul 14, 2013
    Don't Starve incorporates a very interesting gameplay and art design. Hand drawn graphics and art are appreciative and unique. The survival style goal means the main goal of the game. And the music are exceptionally nice. However the extremely repetitive gameplay may meet some people to a boring, expensive game. Your first run may occupy you for hours with excellent survival thoughts andDon't Starve incorporates a very interesting gameplay and art design. Hand drawn graphics and art are appreciative and unique. The survival style goal means the main goal of the game. And the music are exceptionally nice. However the extremely repetitive gameplay may meet some people to a boring, expensive game. Your first run may occupy you for hours with excellent survival thoughts and worrying time decisions. But somehow Don't Starve just doesn't do the deal. It may be another inspiration from Minecraft. But it just doesn't give the same freedom or feel, nor does its title. Don't Starve incorporates unique art and music but lacks gameplay. Expand
  11. Nov 19, 2013
    After a pile of hours in this game, I can honestly say it's one for me. Those that complain about things "two-shotting" them haven't made it to the point where they can respawn yet. Yes, it's a bit of a grind at first when you're just learning. Though if you continue on and start figuring out the world around you it becomes far easier. So if you're looking for a game that doesn't hold yourAfter a pile of hours in this game, I can honestly say it's one for me. Those that complain about things "two-shotting" them haven't made it to the point where they can respawn yet. Yes, it's a bit of a grind at first when you're just learning. Though if you continue on and start figuring out the world around you it becomes far easier. So if you're looking for a game that doesn't hold your hand and tell you exactly what you need to do, this is it. As the world around is trying to eat you while you attempt not to starve or go insane. ^_^ Expand
  12. Aug 30, 2013
    Its a survival with a dark mood to it. Its just too repetetive though. Especially the first week or so you kind of have to do the exact same things every time you play and it just makes it tedious. I think of you are really into survivals you have to try it though cause it has a lot of cool stuff in it. Good music, mysterious creatures and fauna. It looks original and the lore is creepy!Its a survival with a dark mood to it. Its just too repetetive though. Especially the first week or so you kind of have to do the exact same things every time you play and it just makes it tedious. I think of you are really into survivals you have to try it though cause it has a lot of cool stuff in it. Good music, mysterious creatures and fauna. It looks original and the lore is creepy! It could have been great i suspect but the long start-up that looks the same everytime is moving me away from this game. Expand
  13. May 19, 2013
    Clever, excellent art style and general production quality, but once you get past the "oh gee" reaction it's just a grindy clickfest. It's a shame because much more is hinted at, but this just doesn't deliver.
  14. May 1, 2013
    Don’t Starve is one of those, firework kind of games, where you have this expectation of at least a good survival game, and it delivers. However, when the awe of the blast and colors dissipates you see what you are truly left with. Unfortunately, the fun of the games survival mechanic quickly turns into a horrible grind more frustrating and boring than even the most aggravating MMORPG.Don’t Starve is one of those, firework kind of games, where you have this expectation of at least a good survival game, and it delivers. However, when the awe of the blast and colors dissipates you see what you are truly left with. Unfortunately, the fun of the games survival mechanic quickly turns into a horrible grind more frustrating and boring than even the most aggravating MMORPG.
    But this is not to take away from some of the games better points. Though the beginning of the game can eventually become a boring grind, especially if you die a lot, if you’re able to continue past the first winter you are golden and able to explore as much as you want. The biomes are beautifully done in the games unique art style, and almost seems to call for you to find out what is hiding around every corner.
    I loved the survival mechanic of eating, and that they added a very rarely seen mental aspect to the game that added a number of levels to the difficulty and the fun. I also liked the crafting system in the game and that for most of the tech all you needed was a science machine and the proper ingredients. And with the supplies you have gathered always at risk of going bad you find yourself constantly trying to improve the longevity of your provisions.
    The monsters, in the beginning, can be somewhat bland and boring, with spiders, the occasional wolf, and the beefalo wandering around, but with some searching and a little bit of luck you can stumble across some of the more interesting creatures in the game. I found that some of my favorites were the clockwork creatures, but only because I needed their guts in order to make my refrigerator.
    The combat is fairly simple in Don’t Starve, just click and kill. You do need to watch you distance from the larger enemies, because they don’t become stunned when attacking and they hit for massive damage, but for the most part they are all killable with a range of effort. There are a few ranged weapons, but they really don’t warrant much mentioning
    But is the game as a whole a good game?
    Yes it is. It’s the type of game that you can play when everything else had bored you and you want a challenge. It’s a welcome breath of fresh air and a look away from the perpetual easy mode that has plagued most games in recent years, and though the game can become quite the grind at certain points you cannot resist its unique charm and allure.
    This game gets a 6. It’s a Decent game and fun to play when you’re bored, but not something that you should really be killing to get.
  15. Apr 24, 2013
    The game is fun. Very fun indeed. But that fun doesn't last long. When I got it, I couldn't stop playing for about 3 days. I gifted a copy to my gf and she loved it. But after playing some times until day 30-60, that's it. After playing for a week every free moment my gf had, she never looked back. I checked the patchnotes from time to time, even started a few games, but never got into itThe game is fun. Very fun indeed. But that fun doesn't last long. When I got it, I couldn't stop playing for about 3 days. I gifted a copy to my gf and she loved it. But after playing some times until day 30-60, that's it. After playing for a week every free moment my gf had, she never looked back. I checked the patchnotes from time to time, even started a few games, but never got into it again.

Well, there are many big name games that you can finish in one day, so one week of fun is pretty ok. I would recommend this game to everybody. Even players who don't like Minecraft or Terraria. This game is less special, more suited for any gamer. But at the end, it's a game that won't last like those other 2
  16. Jul 14, 2013
    Don't Starve seems the interesting game. The player is to survive as long as possible in a randomly generated location. Must include build a shelter, get food, build and sustain a fire, build tools, make clothes etc... Still performing the same steps the game becomes boring and the game does not have a deeper storyline and quests
  17. Jul 14, 2013
    One of the best survival games, a mix between Minecraft and Terraria with a little bit of art. Great graphics and great soundtracks. There are a lot of things to do and the game is full of traps. There's a mystery behind the game, too, why is there that man at the beginning of each game? This will make you more wishful to finish the game.
  18. Jul 16, 2013
    I really like roguelike games, and this also has some of the crafting/exploring element that Terraria has, but this game is the dark to Terraria's light. While Terraria is fun, happy, and multiplayer, this game is fun but twisted and solitary.

Keep in mind the game is about survival, obviously, but you also will be crafting things, collecting resources, exploring and adventuring on a randomly made creepy island that slowly drives your character, as well as you the player insane, but in a good way.
  19. Oct 30, 2013
    I have been playing this game since November last year off and on and I am really impressed how the developers improved the core gameplay and added new content. At the end it is about Wilderness Survival, which is a very interesting topic on its own, but Klei Entertainment added their own flavour which makes this game so great. Be it the art style, the easy controls and the overall feel ofI have been playing this game since November last year off and on and I am really impressed how the developers improved the core gameplay and added new content. At the end it is about Wilderness Survival, which is a very interesting topic on its own, but Klei Entertainment added their own flavour which makes this game so great. Be it the art style, the easy controls and the overall feel of the game, this is something special. The core gameplay mechanics work very well and provide the basics to the success of Don't Starve. The game and its flow seem so natural that you think how noone before them had the idea to make that kind of game. I think it works very well and every new game you start is a new experience. Expand
  20. Nov 5, 2013
    To all those who say there is no story, you obviously have not played enough. Inside the game there is an "adventure mode" which is basically story mode(and very challenging). I have logged well over 200 hours into this game and some of my best times were in the beginning when i had no idea what was coming next. The Developers are incredible. They put out over 6 months of content forTo all those who say there is no story, you obviously have not played enough. Inside the game there is an "adventure mode" which is basically story mode(and very challenging). I have logged well over 200 hours into this game and some of my best times were in the beginning when i had no idea what was coming next. The Developers are incredible. They put out over 6 months of content for free after the game was released. There will also be DLC in the future. This game has permadeath. If you cannot get over that fact, then this game is probably not for you. You WILL die. You WILL lose everything. That being said, that is my favorite aspect of the game. Expand
  21. Nov 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (Small Spoilers) I don't understand how such an amazing game could be so low on Metacritic. I would call it a unique, rouge like, top down, survival game. Every time you die, you come back more knowledgable of what can kill and hurt you. You collect things, craft things, and build things. I think the people who gave the game low ratings didn't explore the game enough. There are a bunch of different things you can do, such as befriending pig armies, digging up graves to find small things you can give to the pig king who will give you gold, hatching baby tallbirds, finding mandrakes, hunting the elephant-mouse thing, and surviving winter. I just named some things that take well over a few hours to do. Either the people who gave this game bad ratings didn't explore the game enough, or didn't play the game long enough. The winter takes a whole lot of (in-game) days to appear, giving you time to build up resources. The art-style makes the game even more magnificent, looking like a Tim Burton-ish design. This game deserves at least a 90, if not more. Expand
  22. Dec 22, 2013
    This game blew my comfy house slippers right off my feet and into my fireplace, leaving me with my tootsies unacceptably exposed to the cold. Luckily the game is so absorbing I didn't notice.

Seriously, this game is that good. The music and graphics work together seamlessly to draw you into the bleak and desolate world. It's like playing through someone's waking nightmare as they stumble from one terrifying incident to another, just when things begin to seem settled something is sure to rattle your bones and leave you scrambling.

The gameplay may seem simple, but it's in that simplicity that it holds its charm. What might seem easy as first can quickly begin to seem like an enormous task as the burdens of living in the harsh land snowball onto your character and you can't keep up.

The perma-death feature of the game can make death a traumatizing experience as the character you've so lovingly built up and kept alive for so long has now found it's way to a lonely grave, at the same time it leaves your mind whirring as the cog's and gizmos in your head try to learn from your last play through so that you can survive longer in your next.

The re-playability is huge, there's always something to learn or do better the next time through. On top of that if you decide you'd prefer things a bit different from time to time there's always a huge selection of mods available for the game that offer a wide selection of features. Things as simple as adding in a new playable character based on the Heavy from Team Fortress 2 or changing the rules of how the game work can really spice up the gameplay.

So, really give this game a go if you're into moody, strategic, action packed games that leave you twitching at every movement on the screen. It's my top pick of the year!
  23. Apr 30, 2013
    Don't starve was a game that I was constantly looking at on steam, and finally decided to give it a go. I was a bit apprehensive but have not looked back. It has such a fun, addictive gameplay that it never seems to get old. Unlocking new characters, exploring new areas, and discovering new ways to die! Great graphics, great concept, and with extra content being released for 6 months afterDon't starve was a game that I was constantly looking at on steam, and finally decided to give it a go. I was a bit apprehensive but have not looked back. It has such a fun, addictive gameplay that it never seems to get old. Unlocking new characters, exploring new areas, and discovering new ways to die! Great graphics, great concept, and with extra content being released for 6 months after launch it will continue to be replayable. It will a game that will be easy to come back to in a years time and still have fun with it. Expand
  24. May 26, 2013
    Like some here have already mentioned it takes quite a while and grinding to get a good game going and there are so many things one can do that I spent more time reading guides on the web than actually playing. Which wouldn't be the case if it wasn't a permadeath game. In which case one could just enjoy the great, quirky design and the loads of possibilities of things to do in the world.Like some here have already mentioned it takes quite a while and grinding to get a good game going and there are so many things one can do that I spent more time reading guides on the web than actually playing. Which wouldn't be the case if it wasn't a permadeath game. In which case one could just enjoy the great, quirky design and the loads of possibilities of things to do in the world. But as it stands, I feel way too much pressure that I would want to bother finding out where to get a resource and how to build something. Expand
  25. Sep 17, 2013
    An excellent game. Bought it based upon the survival elements and price. Like other survival/exploration games (you know the ones) it offers longevity and quirky game play. Each time you restart you'll learn a lesson and do it better. My top tip is stock up on food early on until you can build traps. Initially it was (as the name suggests) starvation that finished me off. Similar to aAn excellent game. Bought it based upon the survival elements and price. Like other survival/exploration games (you know the ones) it offers longevity and quirky game play. Each time you restart you'll learn a lesson and do it better. My top tip is stock up on food early on until you can build traps. Initially it was (as the name suggests) starvation that finished me off. Similar to a Roguelike game, once you die that's it. No save game, restore point or trial and error. This makes you think carefully before attacking a spider nest or venturing too far from camp. Enjoy Expand
  26. May 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't Starve is a varied survival game unlike any other where as the game progresses it gets frequently harder to survive. You firstly have to gain a way to get food hence the name "Don't Starve" then after a few days monsters also known as hounds will ambush you constantly between 7 10 days. There are numerous mobs in the wild which are useful and some deadly. An example of this often occurs in Winter when a very large monster will attack you which you must prepare for. Not only does he hit hard, he drains your sanity another thing you have to upkeep then after you kill him hallucinations can attack. Winter is brutal as you can freeze to death and cannot stray too far from your camp, however, there are alternatives to this such as getting a winter hat or 'Heat Stone'.

The story is fairly linear and is more of a challenge but has a good twist but you need to find the area to progress with the story. It gives you insanely hard challenges such as unlimited night time, where you must bring a torch wherever you go making it hard to do certain things.

Overall I think Don't Starve is a great game which I play casually. The only downfall of this game is that they don't add co-op/ multiplier which could further increase the games popularity.
  27. Apr 23, 2013
    I play Don't Starve since first days it appeared on Steam, so I can surely say it's a really, really great game. It offers ultimate survival challenge and basically is just mind-blowing. Monsters, created by your morbid imagination, pigmen working for food, traditional Grue, cranky Scottish noble walrus who hunts you at winter, terrifying Deerclop...
    It's pretty hard and you need to spend
    It's pretty hard and you need to spend some time reading Wiki to understand what actually happening but it's absolutely worth it. Also, this game inherits one of the main principles of roguelikes: losing is really fun, so you will rather laugh at ridiculousness of your death than get frustrated.
    DS is highly customizable, so if you find it too hard you can always increase amount of food, resources etc.
    So, let's make a conclusion: this game has great gameplay, brilliant artstyle and atmosphere, offers real challenge, but is relaxing and welcoming to novice at the same time. Must have.
  28. Apr 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Minor Spoilers]Don't Stave is an excellent game. The best game I've played in quite some time. If you go into the game expecting an easy casual game experience you will be shell-shocked. Don't starve is harsh and unforgiving and you can die quickly. Which is a great thing for a survival game, in my opinion.

Your first character is a scientist named Wilson, but you can unlock other characters, each with a signature perk. You are throw into a world knowing little and with nothing. You must forage, hunt, farm, fish, and trap your food. As you explore you'll encounter a number of different enemies and you'll have periodic raids on you camp by hounds. The raiding hounds increase in strength as time goes on. Additionally, you'll encounter various boss type enemies.

I said you start knowing little. You can and must research various things to survive in this hostile world. You have to gather resources to research various items, which will require you to push your exploration far from your base. And there are some interesting things to research. Some more "magic" in nature (though "magic" plays mostly a minor role, don't expect to be a "wizard" in the game.

Great graphic style, great game play, and great re-playability. A 10 in my book.
  29. Apr 23, 2013
    tl;dr Buy this game.

This game is really great and loads of fun. It has a unique art style and developers who really care about the quality of the game, and who are actively involved in the fairly large community that has appeared since the game went into beta last year. The game also has mods that can be found on the forums, and a lot of the game files are in plain-text Lua scripts
    tl;dr Buy this game.

The game also has mods that can be found on the forums, and a lot of the game files are in plain-text Lua scripts so if there's something in the game that turns you off you can probably change it. But don't do stuff like "I can now craft a Nightmare Sword with a twig" or "rabbits no longer run from me" or you'll get bored from the easiness.

The gameplay is pretty addictive, and if you like Terraria or Minecraft you should feel right at home in this game. Not too say it's similar to those two games: it's worlds apart. And about worlds, you can customize your randomly-generated world in Don't Starve to make it easier (or harder). Can't find enough food in the early game? Add more berries and carrots. Hounds just too much for you? You can get rid of them. Being able to customize your world is, in my opinion, a really bright idea.
  30. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is a farming game, 95% of the time you grind stuff and hope you don't die during the night/ process. Don’t bother farming anything during the night. If you do, it’s “game over”—unless you've found a rare sacred stone or built yourself a meat sacrifice thing—which to even get to that level is a task in and of itself. If you love walking around and just clicking on different plantsThis game is a farming game, 95% of the time you grind stuff and hope you don't die during the night/ process. Don’t bother farming anything during the night. If you do, it’s “game over”—unless you've found a rare sacred stone or built yourself a meat sacrifice thing—which to even get to that level is a task in and of itself. If you love walking around and just clicking on different plants and running away from freaky long legged birds that kill you in 2 hits, then this is the game for you.

I only continued in hopes that it would eventually get better but it remained boring. I played about 14 hours of the game, it never got better. It got ‘different,’ but still ‘boring different’. Even after collecting half a dozen pigs in my man-pig army. The game wasn’t bad or poorly designed as a whole, it was simply boring. Grinding stuff the majority of the time is incredibly boring. I’d seriously rather just watch my cat groom herself for an hour in the same spot, over and over and over again. Games like Terraria and Mine Craft are fun when grinding, you can literally shape the world around you while you grind for stuff and even use the world to interact with on some level in real-time to fight or block off enemies. All of these great aspects you can't do in this game. It takes far more investment to get to any of these aspects and the pacing doesn’t allow for this in real-time because you’d die while trying to build anything.

I see the charm in their style and how this game paces itself with items and animations, I like that and it is interesting. But it doesn’t make up for a boring game which just becomes frustratingly difficult when they punish you every time you die. This is not an effective way to hook players in for more, difficulty does not equal fun. Mechanics equal fun, fun and engaging game mechanics. Yes games 15 even 20 years ago games were very difficult and unforgiving but because of their crude graphics and controls they needed fundamentally strong game mechanics. That they were difficult was an aspect of arcade gaming crossing over into consoles. Terraria is a great example of this because the game has little if any story at all, it is paced purely off the players choices and actions. The designers for Don’t Starve would benefit greatly from reading some books on game theory or taking a few courses for learning about game mechanics etc. Don’t bother wasting your time on this boring game, unless you’re into clicking stuff pointlessly for hours with no story at all and collecting imaginary digital shrubs, grass, rocks, etc. Or unless they come out with a seriously significant update that changes a major aspect of this game as a whole.

I can’t even begin to really describe to you how boring this game is, and I’ve play over a thousand hours on various grinding games. This takes the cake.

The Good:
    Charming Consistent Visual Style
    Animations and Sounds
    Simple UI and Menus
    Intuitive Controls

The Bad:
    Extremely Boring
    Horribly Unforgiving
    Too linear for its Genre for an Adventure is lacks story for Simulation it lacks interactions.
    If if they mean simulation as in a farm simulator... then yeah, move along and get Farm Simulator 2013, at least that game knows what it is. I can easily imagine Farm Simulator 2013 being 1000x more fun than this game.
    The UI for building and researching stuff could be a lot better; any means of finding out about the game you’d have to refer to a wiki site--and the developers don't want you to do that.
    And for an indie game as boring as this is, and charging more than 5 dollars with a serious face should be a crime, unless all the money is going to the sound and art guys then I support that.

1. Jul 19, 2013
    Don’t Starve is a game for those who persevere. The infinitely playable survival RPG with an artsy appearance tests your endurance, but rewards players with a surprisingly unique experience.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    It's a game that just keeps giving, even as it tears your life from you. [Issue#136, p.110]
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    A refreshingly upfront experience, right down to the title. A game that shoves players into a complex, harsh world with little explanation, it can be tough to parse at first. But little by little, Don't Starve reveals itself via deep mechanics and an ever-evolving world. It started strong and got better.