8.3

1. May 1, 2013
    Great game, I followed it since it first appeared on Steam, and loved all the updates it got. It was like Minecraft experience all over again. I love when I can see all the new things being added And now after the release it's not over yet The devs will still keep new updates coming!
  2. Nov 19, 2013
    After a pile of hours in this game, I can honestly say it's one for me. Those that complain about things "two-shotting" them haven't made it to the point where they can respawn yet. Yes, it's a bit of a grind at first when you're just learning. Though if you continue on and start figuring out the world around you it becomes far easier. So if you're looking for a game that doesn't hold yourAfter a pile of hours in this game, I can honestly say it's one for me. Those that complain about things "two-shotting" them haven't made it to the point where they can respawn yet. Yes, it's a bit of a grind at first when you're just learning. Though if you continue on and start figuring out the world around you it becomes far easier. So if you're looking for a game that doesn't hold your hand and tell you exactly what you need to do, this is it. As the world around is trying to eat you while you attempt not to starve or go insane. ^_^ Expand
  3. Nov 5, 2013
    To all those who say there is no story, you obviously have not played enough. Inside the game there is an "adventure mode" which is basically story mode(and very challenging). I have logged well over 200 hours into this game and some of my best times were in the beginning when i had no idea what was coming next. The Developers are incredible. They put out over 6 months of content forTo all those who say there is no story, you obviously have not played enough. Inside the game there is an "adventure mode" which is basically story mode(and very challenging). I have logged well over 200 hours into this game and some of my best times were in the beginning when i had no idea what was coming next. The Developers are incredible. They put out over 6 months of content for free after the game was released. There will also be DLC in the future. This game has permadeath. If you cannot get over that fact, then this game is probably not for you. You WILL die. You WILL lose everything. That being said, that is my favorite aspect of the game. Expand
  4. Nov 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (Small Spoilers) I don't understand how such an amazing game could be so low on Metacritic. I would call it a unique, rouge like, top down, survival game. Every time you die, you come back more knowledgable of what can kill and hurt you. You collect things, craft things, and build things. I think the people who gave the game low ratings didn't explore the game enough. There are a bunch of different things you can do, such as befriending pig armies, digging up graves to find small things you can give to the pig king who will give you gold, hatching baby tallbirds, finding mandrakes, hunting the elephant-mouse thing, and surviving winter. I just named some things that take well over a few hours to do. Either the people who gave this game bad ratings didn't explore the game enough, or didn't play the game long enough. The winter takes a whole lot of (in-game) days to appear, giving you time to build up resources. The art-style makes the game even more magnificent, looking like a Tim Burton-ish design. This game deserves at least a 90, if not more. Expand
  5. Oct 30, 2013
    I have been playing this game since November last year off and on and I am really impressed how the developers improved the core gameplay and added new content. At the end it is about Wilderness Survival, which is a very interesting topic on its own, but Klei Entertainment added their own flavour which makes this game so great. Be it the art style, the easy controls and the overall feel ofI have been playing this game since November last year off and on and I am really impressed how the developers improved the core gameplay and added new content. At the end it is about Wilderness Survival, which is a very interesting topic on its own, but Klei Entertainment added their own flavour which makes this game so great. Be it the art style, the easy controls and the overall feel of the game, this is something special. The core gameplay mechanics work very well and provide the basics to the success of Don't Starve. The game and its flow seem so natural that you think how noone before them had the idea to make that kind of game. I think it works very well and every new game you start is a new experience. Expand
  6. Feb 7, 2014
    In this game you get yourself spawned in the distant world where your aim is to survive (at least how its seems to me).

From my lives i died to wild bees trying to sack their hive, I ate wrong mushroom killing myself, I was killed by beefaloo when desperately trying to kill it to eat something or i'd die, i was eaten by wild dogs that came in the night to kill me, wild treant smacked me down when i burned half of the forest, I got lost in the dark and was killed by some demon, later I went insane and was killed by the shadow etc. etc. etc...

Its difficult, I keep dying but so far its still fun and I'm getting better. I heard rumors the winter is coming soon so now when I mastered staying alive in the summer I try to stockpile some food. Dunno if its going to be enough though. Because you never know what can happen next in this game :)

Worth the money for sure, and btw the visuals and animations are awesome.
  7. Dec 22, 2013
    This game blew my comfy house slippers right off my feet and into my fireplace, leaving me with my tootsies unacceptably exposed to the cold. Luckily the game is so absorbing I didn't notice.

Seriously, this game is that good. The music and graphics work together seamlessly to draw you into the bleak and desolate world. It's like playing through someone's waking nightmare as they stumble from one terrifying incident to another, just when things begin to seem settled something is sure to rattle your bones and leave you scrambling.

The gameplay may seem simple, but it's in that simplicity that it holds its charm. What might seem easy as first can quickly begin to seem like an enormous task as the burdens of living in the harsh land snowball onto your character and you can't keep up.

The perma-death feature of the game can make death a traumatizing experience as the character you've so lovingly built up and kept alive for so long has now found it's way to a lonely grave, at the same time it leaves your mind whirring as the cog's and gizmos in your head try to learn from your last play through so that you can survive longer in your next.

The re-playability is huge, there's always something to learn or do better the next time through. On top of that if you decide you'd prefer things a bit different from time to time there's always a huge selection of mods available for the game that offer a wide selection of features. Things as simple as adding in a new playable character based on the Heavy from Team Fortress 2 or changing the rules of how the game work can really spice up the gameplay.

So, really give this game a go if you're into moody, strategic, action packed games that leave you twitching at every movement on the screen. It's my top pick of the year!
  8. Mar 5, 2014
    Marvelous. Although somewhat repetitive the game is exciting in its challenging state. Its cartoon like graphics are appealing to its subject matter. The game has a high level of re playability and its content seems to be growing due to a great community of players.
  9. Apr 3, 2014
    It seems like most (but not all) reviewers who rate this gem badly, only rate it so low because they don't understand the game. So here is my experience.
    After playing almost 48 hours of the game (not in one go) i am still really enjoying Don't Starve. The art style is , yes fantastic for the genre and the gameplay mechanics are simple but yet satisfying. You start off in the middle of know where, on a large map of various biomes. The aim is to craft and survive the various threats in the game. Starvation, annual attacks from beasts, insanity, the darkness, flood, lightning, karma and other various things in the game can all kill you at any point, the game truly makes you feel vulnerable but does add in few ways to feel safe with friendly mobs and respawn points. Yes it is permadeath, but the game saves at points so you don't have to play until you die. You can craft respawn items to revive yourself and there are endless amounts of items you can craft which i haven't even touched half of them yet and i have played for hours and hours! After reaching day 100 i was still finding new parts of the game, survival and adventure mode exist with the main goal to escape the world. This game does have a story!
    Yes you could say it gets repetitive in cycles due to summer, winter and secret seasons but patience and and open mind is always a good thing in video games.
    Overall i think this game is fantastic and a great new fresh breath of air from other games in the new survival/crafting genre. Would definitely recommend and without a doubt is worth the price.
    P.S The new DLC is amazing! But i review that on the page
  10. Apr 8, 2014
    To be honest, this has got to be one of my favorite games. It's like Terraria and Minecraft mixed into one whole Tim Burton-esque awesomeness. 10/10. Amazing.
  11. Apr 15, 2014
    Игра очень интересная, с приятным графическим оформлением, хардкорная. Но есть одна у неё проблемка, после того как вас убили в игре, начинают заново единицы, т.к. это очень расстраивает! Столько сил ты вложил в этот сеанс, а тут БАЦ, и всё... оценка 10/10 за хардкорность и графику
    ПРЕДУПРЕЖДЕНИЕ! МУЛЬТИПЛЕЕРА НЕТ И ДЕЛАТЬ ЕГО НЕ СОБИРАЮТСЯ! на заметку
    ПРЕДУПРЕЖДЕНИЕ! МУЛЬТИПЛЕЕРА НЕТ И ДЕЛАТЬ ЕГО НЕ СОБИРАЮТСЯ! на заметку
  12. Apr 26, 2013
    Amazingly addictive. For such a simple premise this game sucks you in. The permadeath was worrying at first, but it does add to the game. I can't wait to unlock the other characters.
  13. May 18, 2013
    Amazing game play. Beautiful art style and soundtrack.

Negative reviewers obviously did not play enough of the game to see its full potential. Games that require patience reward you handsomely This is not a game for the impatient or those looking for short term fulfillment. Beginning may be a grind, but as each day passes more creatures and events will arise. Not every developer has
    Amazing game play. Beautiful art style and soundtrack.

Not every developer has cash to make an amazing game. Please don't compare this gem to huge blockbusters.
  14. Jun 11, 2013
    Yet another game like Minecraft and Terraria.
    And I must say its very addicting. Survival part of this one is way ahead of Minecraft and Terria. I would say its achieved trough great balance. No meter what you do, you are always short, and when you think you are safe game throws new challenge at you.
    If you like a feeling of trying to survive in hostile environment with multiple
    Yet another game like Minecraft and Terraria.
    If you like a feeling of trying to survive in hostile environment with multiple strategies definitely try this
  15. Koo
    Jul 21, 2013
    Don't Starve is great fun in small doses. It has a certain charm about it I really like, and the gameplay is enjoyable too. For a game with no walk throughs or tips built-in, it is surprisingly easy to pick-up. Mouse cursor activated tooltips give you most of the information you need (e.g. what you need to build things) and beyond that, the game is about experimentation. And it is funDon't Starve is great fun in small doses. It has a certain charm about it I really like, and the gameplay is enjoyable too. For a game with no walk throughs or tips built-in, it is surprisingly easy to pick-up. Mouse cursor activated tooltips give you most of the information you need (e.g. what you need to build things) and beyond that, the game is about experimentation. And it is fun to explore. Don't Starve is one of those games where you will die several times before you make progress, but that's part of the fun in my opinion. Provided you are willing to learn from your mistakes, this is a very enjoyable game. The game's soundtrack is fantastic as well. 9/10 Expand
  16. May 9, 2013
    Absolutely LOVE IT!

It is a great game, but it gets a bit repetitive.
    It is my new favourite.
    I recommend to buy the game, the new features are awesome!
  17. Jul 14, 2013
    One of the best survival games, a mix between Minecraft and Terraria with a little bit of art. Great graphics and great soundtracks. There are a lot of things to do and the game is full of traps. There's a mystery behind the game, too, why is there that man at the beginning of each game? This will make you more wishful to finish the game.
  18. Apr 30, 2013
    Don't starve was a game that I was constantly looking at on steam, and finally decided to give it a go. I was a bit apprehensive but have not looked back. It has such a fun, addictive gameplay that it never seems to get old. Unlocking new characters, exploring new areas, and discovering new ways to die! Great graphics, great concept, and with extra content being released for 6 months afterDon't starve was a game that I was constantly looking at on steam, and finally decided to give it a go. I was a bit apprehensive but have not looked back. It has such a fun, addictive gameplay that it never seems to get old. Unlocking new characters, exploring new areas, and discovering new ways to die! Great graphics, great concept, and with extra content being released for 6 months after launch it will continue to be replayable. It will a game that will be easy to come back to in a years time and still have fun with it. Expand
  19. Apr 29, 2013
    Don't starve is one of those games that you can put hours and hours into and still keep you playing. It gives the player loads of different things to do and they are still updating the game and adding new content. This game's art style is fantastic, it has a Gothic like feel. It is up their with the best survival games and sometimes makes you panic.

I bought this game in Beta and played

I bought this game in Beta and played it ever since. Sorry for saying this but it is almost like where Minecraft began in playing the game and adding content while you play whilst still keeping you griped in the game. I highly recommend this game and you can pick this game up for around £10 on steam.

Remember, Don't Starve!
  20. May 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't Starve is a varied survival game unlike any other where as the game progresses it gets frequently harder to survive. You firstly have to gain a way to get food hence the name "Don't Starve" then after a few days monsters also known as hounds will ambush you constantly between 7 10 days. There are numerous mobs in the wild which are useful and some deadly. An example of this often occurs in Winter when a very large monster will attack you which you must prepare for. Not only does he hit hard, he drains your sanity another thing you have to upkeep then after you kill him hallucinations can attack. Winter is brutal as you can freeze to death and cannot stray too far from your camp, however, there are alternatives to this such as getting a winter hat or 'Heat Stone'.

The story is fairly linear and is more of a challenge but has a good twist but you need to find the area to progress with the story. It gives you insanely hard challenges such as unlimited night time, where you must bring a torch wherever you go making it hard to do certain things.

Overall I think Don't Starve is a great game which I play casually. The only downfall of this game is that they don't add co-op/ multiplier which could further increase the games popularity.
  21. May 20, 2013
    Don't Starve is a highly stylized solo survival game from and isometric perspective that takes place on a plane. The game is deeply challenging and given it's rogue-like style you will need to restart more than once to survive your first winter. The world you find yourself in is populated by a large cast of strange monsters and creatures, many of which you will either need to tame or killDon't Starve is a highly stylized solo survival game from and isometric perspective that takes place on a plane. The game is deeply challenging and given it's rogue-like style you will need to restart more than once to survive your first winter. The world you find yourself in is populated by a large cast of strange monsters and creatures, many of which you will either need to tame or kill to survive. Random worlds and an adventure mode add further to the replayability and monthly updates add significant amounts of new content to the game if you somehow manage to exhaust what the game comes with now. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoyed Minecraft (But wished it was harder), Terraria (But wanted more survival elements) or Fallout New Vegas Hardcore Mode (But wanted more threat of actually starving). Expand
  22. Apr 23, 2013
    I play Don't Starve since first days it appeared on Steam, so I can surely say it's a really, really great game. It offers ultimate survival challenge and basically is just mind-blowing. Monsters, created by your morbid imagination, pigmen working for food, traditional Grue, cranky Scottish noble walrus who hunts you at winter, terrifying Deerclop...
    It's pretty hard and you need to spend
    It's pretty hard and you need to spend some time reading Wiki to understand what actually happening but it's absolutely worth it. Also, this game inherits one of the main principles of roguelikes: losing is really fun, so you will rather laugh at ridiculousness of your death than get frustrated.
    DS is highly customizable, so if you find it too hard you can always increase amount of food, resources etc.
    So, let's make a conclusion: this game has great gameplay, brilliant artstyle and atmosphere, offers real challenge, but is relaxing and welcoming to novice at the same time. Must have.
  23. Apr 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Minor Spoilers]Don't Stave is an excellent game. The best game I've played in quite some time. If you go into the game expecting an easy casual game experience you will be shell-shocked. Don't starve is harsh and unforgiving and you can die quickly. Which is a great thing for a survival game, in my opinion.

Your first character is a scientist named Wilson, but you can unlock other characters, each with a signature perk. You are throw into a world knowing little and with nothing. You must forage, hunt, farm, fish, and trap your food. As you explore you'll encounter a number of different enemies and you'll have periodic raids on you camp by hounds. The raiding hounds increase in strength as time goes on. Additionally, you'll encounter various boss type enemies.

I said you start knowing little. You can and must research various things to survive in this hostile world. You have to gather resources to research various items, which will require you to push your exploration far from your base. And there are some interesting things to research. Some more "magic" in nature (though "magic" plays mostly a minor role, don't expect to be a "wizard" in the game.

Great graphic style, great game play, and great re-playability. A 10 in my book.
  24. Apr 23, 2013
    tl;dr Buy this game.

This game is really great and loads of fun. It has a unique art style and developers who really care about the quality of the game, and who are actively involved in the fairly large community that has appeared since the game went into beta last year. The game also has mods that can be found on the forums, and a lot of the game files are in plain-text Lua scripts
    tl;dr Buy this game.

The game also has mods that can be found on the forums, and a lot of the game files are in plain-text Lua scripts so if there's something in the game that turns you off you can probably change it. But don't do stuff like "I can now craft a Nightmare Sword with a twig" or "rabbits no longer run from me" or you'll get bored from the easiness.

The gameplay is pretty addictive, and if you like Terraria or Minecraft you should feel right at home in this game. Not too say it's similar to those two games: it's worlds apart. And about worlds, you can customize your randomly-generated world in Don't Starve to make it easier (or harder). Can't find enough food in the early game? Add more berries and carrots. Hounds just too much for you? You can get rid of them. Being able to customize your world is, in my opinion, a really bright idea.
  25. May 24, 2013
    Definitely a great game with a fantastic art style and soundtrack. It's like Minecraft mixed with Terraria with some Tim Burton added in. I can't wait for the future updates. It doesn't seem to get old and is very original in term of gameplay and survival games. Really an amazing deal for its $15 price.
  26. May 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of my favorites. Ever since i first played as wilson and died of lightning, i have been addicted. This game provides an excellent survivalist envirorment, giving you more to explore every update. From Wilson To Maxwell, Each character give unique challenges all around. Expand
  27. May 23, 2013
    One of the best game-plays I have seen. Fun, very entertaining and difficult.

Focus is survival but in actuality it is more of base creation. You need to plan out well, make sure you survive through winter... that would be an accomplishment. Then next would be fighting the boss. That part I havent figure it out yet :) But the devs are great for this game very nice updates to
    One of the best game-plays I have seen. Fun, very entertaining and difficult.

But the devs are great for this game very nice updates to be expected and the game is quite stable upon release. I have not experience a single crash. This game is definitely a 10/10. I have more fun at this game compared to other triple A titles that focus more of graphics rather than gameplay.
  28. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was an amazing experience for me, the only boring part is collecting twigs, grass, and wood. The next step gets me excited, for every 10 or so days you will get attacked and there are dangers that lurk with every place you go to. Also with the new underground area with giant rabbits, trying to kill you for revenge from their lost brothers (the regular rabbits you killed) and the harder bosses like the spider queen and the forest guardian, but i just think this game is one of the best i have ever played. Expand
  29. Apr 27, 2013
    I played this game non stop today and can't seem to stop playing it. Great atmosphere and unique art style Yes, it can get pretty repetitive at times but I absolutely enjoy every moment of it. This game has a lot to offer with different tools and creatures you face in your never ending quest to survive.
  30. Apr 24, 2013
    Been looking forward to this game and it does deliver!

Love the way u hav to figure everything out yourself... the feeling of discovery is really THERE!

great art style and great sound...

overall... real good fun...

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE AND DONT STARVE...DYING IS FUN...

1. Jul 19, 2013
    Don’t Starve is a game for those who persevere. The infinitely playable survival RPG with an artsy appearance tests your endurance, but rewards players with a surprisingly unique experience.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    It's a game that just keeps giving, even as it tears your life from you. [Issue#136, p.110]
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    A refreshingly upfront experience, right down to the title. A game that shoves players into a complex, harsh world with little explanation, it can be tough to parse at first. But little by little, Don't Starve reveals itself via deep mechanics and an ever-evolving world. It started strong and got better.