8.3

1. May 1, 2013
    Great game, I followed it since it first appeared on Steam, and loved all the updates it got. It was like Minecraft experience all over again. I love when I can see all the new things being added And now after the release it's not over yet The devs will still keep new updates coming!
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    I play Don't Starve since first days it appeared on Steam, so I can surely say it's a really, really great game. It offers ultimate survival challenge and basically is just mind-blowing. Monsters, created by your morbid imagination, pigmen working for food, traditional Grue, cranky Scottish noble walrus who hunts you at winter, terrifying Deerclop...
    It's pretty hard and you need to spend
    some time reading Wiki to understand what actually happening but it's absolutely worth it. Also, this game inherits one of the main principles of roguelikes: losing is really fun, so you will rather laugh at ridiculousness of your death than get frustrated.
    DS is highly customizable, so if you find it too hard you can always increase amount of food, resources etc.
    So, let's make a conclusion: this game has great gameplay, brilliant artstyle and atmosphere, offers real challenge, but is relaxing and welcoming to novice at the same time. Must have.
  3. Apr 23, 2013
    tl;dr Buy this game.

This game is really great and loads of fun. It has a unique art style and developers who really care about the quality of the game, and who are actively involved in the fairly large community that has appeared since the game went into beta last year.

The game also has mods that can be found on the forums, and a lot of the game files are in plain-text Lua scripts
    so if there's something in the game that turns you off you can probably change it. But don't do stuff like "I can now craft a Nightmare Sword with a twig" or "rabbits no longer run from me" or you'll get bored from the easiness.

The gameplay is pretty addictive, and if you like Terraria or Minecraft you should feel right at home in this game. Not too say it's similar to those two games: it's worlds apart. And about worlds, you can customize your randomly-generated world in Don't Starve to make it easier (or harder). Can't find enough food in the early game? Add more berries and carrots. Hounds just too much for you? You can get rid of them. Being able to customize your world is, in my opinion, a really bright idea.
  4. Apr 30, 2013
    Don't starve was a game that I was constantly looking at on steam, and finally decided to give it a go. I was a bit apprehensive but have not looked back. It has such a fun, addictive gameplay that it never seems to get old. Unlocking new characters, exploring new areas, and discovering new ways to die! Great graphics, great concept, and with extra content being released for 6 months after launch it will continue to be replayable. It will a game that will be easy to come back to in a years time and still have fun with it. Expand
  5. Apr 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Minor Spoilers]Don't Stave is an excellent game. The best game I've played in quite some time. If you go into the game expecting an easy casual game experience you will be shell-shocked. Don't starve is harsh and unforgiving and you can die quickly. Which is a great thing for a survival game, in my opinion.

Your first character is a scientist named Wilson, but you can unlock other characters, each with a signature perk. You are throw into a world knowing little and with nothing. You must forage, hunt, farm, fish, and trap your food. As you explore you'll encounter a number of different enemies and you'll have periodic raids on you camp by hounds. The raiding hounds increase in strength as time goes on. Additionally, you'll encounter various boss type enemies.

I said you start knowing little. You can and must research various things to survive in this hostile world. You have to gather resources to research various items, which will require you to push your exploration far from your base. And there are some interesting things to research. Some more "magic" in nature (though "magic" plays mostly a minor role, don't expect to be a "wizard" in the game.

Great graphic style, great game play, and great re-playability. A 10 in my book.
  6. Apr 23, 2013
    This is one fantastic game. This is very well set apart from other survival games such as Minecraft and the like, as it is one that allows you to learn lessons after death easier, as instead of adjusting the difficulty to peaceful, you have to restart all over again. This also has a far better adventure mode on it. There is also a far better sense of achievement to this game, as this game is far harder than other creative building games. All in all, I could give you millions more reasons to buy don't starve, but it's undeniably a solid 10/10. Expand
  7. Apr 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. “Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic. You play as Wilson, a Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment to its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home. Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play your way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land.”

It was a normal day, I logged onto steam to do my daily dose of gaming as I noticed a window pop open that said “Don’t Starve Coming soon”. As the name intrigued me I clicked it to take a look at what this could be, another game similar to Minecraft maybe? The trailer revealed to me that it had similar concepts to Minecraft as the main point was to survive but this looked a little more intense and more hard-core. This got my attention fast and I purchased it as soon as I could and got access to the Beta as the game was not fully released yet. Magnificent.

When you spawn into the game you straight away get shown the very neat looks of a similar style to a lot of Tim Burton Films which fit this game perfectly as it has a very sinister atmosphere to the game especially at night. The main idea of the game is great and has a lot of potential and can keep you needing to play it for a few days but I do feel it lacks on the entertainment side of things. I say this because the amount that you play it will depend on the type of player that you are, if you rely on the game to give you constant action and fun it will not do that for you. This is because you will need to learn what kills you and then when you replay after you die it is just preventing the way you died before which in the end boils down to preparing for winter by stockpiling food over and over until you fail at something. Although I say this I am the type of player that loves this and plays most games for the whole stockpile element to them, which Don’t Starve is perfect for giving this to me. Even if this doesn't interest you for the same reason as me it will still defiantly keep you occupied for days and be 100% worth the money as it is only £11.99.

Don’t starves ‘Dark side’ shows when you get to night for the first time and instantly die when you don’t make a fire, which shows you straight away that it’s going to need research or trial and error to survive in don’t starve. As well as the threat of needing a fire as night falls you also need to take care of your sanity, keep well fed and also stay away from terrifying wolves and unusual eye creatures. When you first find out any of this stuff it is a thrill and keeps you intrigued to find out what happens if you defeat what killed you. “What could get me next time?” Don’t starve reveals some of its sinister side when your sanity lowers and you start seeing creatures and figures that render you speechless the first time you see them, even creepy hands that lower the flame in your fire at night.

Overall I would say that Don’t starve is well worth the amount that you pay for if not more. It is the ultimate survival experience and brings loads of fun along with its unique art style and sinister game play. Don’t Starve is undeniably a solid 10/10.
  8. Apr 29, 2013
    It really is a shame that this one idiot reviewer on hardcoregamer knocked the score down so far on this game and couldn't even spell the main character's name right or decided for some reason not to review half the game and just complain about sandbox mode.

That being said, the people that are calling it repetitive or grind like probably didn't play this game's adventure mode (which is
    very challenging and often nerve wrecking) and stayed in sandbox. Sandbox mode is only to really get you adequate with the game's mechanics and such but after you get use to that and things become less dire, adventure mode is where you go for a challenge.

It is a good game and definitively worth the price tag. While it does have some cosmetic things in it it's mainly about survival. i've spent 120 hours on it so i've definitively got my monies worth. also you can adjust the difficulty in sandbox mode to make it even more challenging for yourself~
  9. Apr 23, 2013
    Great game for the price. Just kinda thrusts you into the world with no explanation on what to do; no hand holding, no instruction, just survival. You really learn through your first couple times, what it takes to survive and each subsequent time you learn from your mistakes, (not building any winter clothing that first winter, getting and attacking a tier 3 spider nest). For people that are new to survival games, or hadn't played one in what seems like forever, this is a good place to start. The unique visuals to the game are another strong point, with all the different characters, tools, monsters and world. Each character has their strong suit (like Wilson, who can grow a beard which acts as protection in winter or Wolfgang who hits like a tank). Overall, it's a game worth exploring and getting better at. It gives me great motivation when I've seen screenshots of people at day 500...and just getting through a week is pretty challenging. Expand
  10. May 24, 2013
    Definitely a great game with a fantastic art style and soundtrack. It's like Minecraft mixed with Terraria with some Tim Burton added in. I can't wait for the future updates. It doesn't seem to get old and is very original in term of gameplay and survival games. Really an amazing deal for its $15 price.
  11. Apr 26, 2013
    This is a very good rogue-like game. Each game starts off on a randomly generated map with differing resource allocations, so each game is a chance to start fresh and develop new survival strategies for each play. The different playable characters each add something fresh with a unique perk and dialogue. Almost every time I have died it was due to a combination of a couple of mistakes I have made, and each death is a learning experience. It takes a bit of thought to manage your health, hunger, sanity, and in the winter, freezing meters (although the freezing meter is not shown). As someone who bought into the beta I have put over 60 hours into this game already, and I feel it is a really good way to spend 12-15 dollars, especially if you enjoy rogue-like games, and are open to the idea that you will by dying and restarting from scratch fairly often. Expand
  12. Apr 23, 2013
    Don't Starve is a ultimate survival game, which allows you to play by many ways. Such things like randomized world, awesome craft and different characters gives you an unique adventure every time you push the start button.

Two other things that I like about game is a unique visual style and an regular updates. You can also offer a new ideas on the forum.

What else can I say? Simply
    must have. One of the best indie game I ever played, and absolutely the best survival game for me. Expand
  13. Apr 27, 2013
    I played this game non stop today and can't seem to stop playing it. Great atmosphere and unique art style Yes, it can get pretty repetitive at times but I absolutely enjoy every moment of it. This game has a lot to offer with different tools and creatures you face in your never ending quest to survive.
  14. Apr 24, 2013
    Been looking forward to this game and it does deliver!

Love the way u hav to figure everything out yourself... the feeling of discovery is really THERE!

great art style and great sound...

overall... real good fun...

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE AND DONT STARVE...DYING IS FUN...
  15. Apr 25, 2013
    I created a Metacritic account just to give this game a good review. I bought this game at half price on a whim back when the beta started and have very much enjoyed the experience. As others have said, even though the game inevitably becomes a bit dull (as all games do), the "hours of entertainment per dollar" value can't be beat and the great artwork is worth the price of admission alone.

The game is a point-and-click, top-down-view "survival" title, where you are dropped into an enchanted forest world that hates you and wants you to die. The world is randomly generated based on parameters you select (think Age of Empires) and changes with every new game. You must explore, gather raw materials, and fight critters in order to manage hunger, health and "sanity" levels. As the days go on, you construct equipment and establish base structures of increasing complexity, which are all needed to take on the increasingly difficult monsters and environmental challenges the game throws at you. Death is permanent and makes you plan your actions very carefully, yet there is a useful late-game mechanic that lets you make an effigy of yourself out of meat, wood, and hair (not making that up) that will revive you after a particularly unlucky encounter with a sinister Eyeclops or blowgun-toting-kilt-wearing-walrus (also not making that up).

The feeling of progression is wonderful as the game plays out. You go from foraging for berries and mushrooms to harvesting corn from farm plots to make tasty fish tacos. You go from a measly campfire to a roaring fire pit, surrounded by stone walls and chests of loot. And while you begin the game running from spiders and fending them off with a pointy stick, you can come back for vengeance later with a shadow sword constructed of pure nightmares and an army of friendly pig-men. Also, you've given the pig-men top hats, because it's important to look dapper.

Artistically, the game is very unique and incredibly weird, with a style that makes all the characters and props look like living pencil and charcoal drawings. The theme is playful and cartoony while having very sinister undertones. Think Alice in Wonderland and Nightmare Before Christmas, with a dose of Lovecraft thrown in when your sanity dips and you start to go nuts. In 40+ hours of play, I haven't stopped smiling at how goofy the berry-stealing Gobbler is or how the noble Beefalo herds stare at you blankly when you walk by. And the shadowy hand that slowly reaches out of the darkness to snuff out your camp fire (with the background sound of a broken jack-in-the-box) is just straight-up disturbing.

Speaking of campfires, the day/night cycle this game has is one of the best implemented I've seen in a video game. There is a day/dusk/night rotation (as well as a summer/winter/rainstorm mechanic) that greatly influences how the world and the player behave. Rabbits frolic during the day, creepy/crawly things come out at dusk, and straying from a light source for even a few seconds at night causes an unseen horror to straight-up murder you. Even when you're far into a game with an established, well-stocked campsite, you're still just a castaway huddled next to a fire, gnawing on a rabbit bone, trying not to go crazy.

Which brings me to my last point concerning difficulty. At some point, the game stops ramping up challenges so quickly and just starts to just cycle them. It's then when players begin to complain of boredom. "I've survived 100 days and now the game is boooring!" Well, boredom only comes from security and security is only achieved from a fully-explored map and campsite bursting with supplies and gadgets. There's always the option of stuffing a few things in a sack and jumping through the Teleportato (not a typo) to generate a whole new, unmapped, dangerous world. I've done this several times and the thrill of mapping out a new island hasn't gotten old.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to eat a sack full of mushrooms and beat an angry, walking pine tree to death with a bat made out of ham, all while tripping my ass off and hallucinating rabbits with beards. Then, maybe I'll play Don't Starve some more.
  16. Apr 29, 2013
    Don't starve is one of those games that you can put hours and hours into and still keep you playing. It gives the player loads of different things to do and they are still updating the game and adding new content. This game's art style is fantastic, it has a Gothic like feel. It is up their with the best survival games and sometimes makes you panic.

I bought this game in Beta and played
    it ever since. Sorry for saying this but it is almost like where Minecraft began in playing the game and adding content while you play whilst still keeping you griped in the game. I highly recommend this game and you can pick this game up for around £10 on steam.

Remember, Don't Starve!
  17. May 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't Starve is a varied survival game unlike any other where as the game progresses it gets frequently harder to survive. You firstly have to gain a way to get food hence the name "Don't Starve" then after a few days monsters also known as hounds will ambush you constantly between 7 10 days. There are numerous mobs in the wild which are useful and some deadly. An example of this often occurs in Winter when a very large monster will attack you which you must prepare for. Not only does he hit hard, he drains your sanity another thing you have to upkeep then after you kill him hallucinations can attack. Winter is brutal as you can freeze to death and cannot stray too far from your camp, however, there are alternatives to this such as getting a winter hat or 'Heat Stone'.

The story is fairly linear and is more of a challenge but has a good twist but you need to find the area to progress with the story. It gives you insanely hard challenges such as unlimited night time, where you must bring a torch wherever you go making it hard to do certain things.

Overall I think Don't Starve is a great game which I play casually. The only downfall of this game is that they don't add co-op/ multiplier which could further increase the games popularity.
  18. May 20, 2013
    Don't Starve is a highly stylized solo survival game from and isometric perspective that takes place on a plane. The game is deeply challenging and given it's rogue-like style you will need to restart more than once to survive your first winter. The world you find yourself in is populated by a large cast of strange monsters and creatures, many of which you will either need to tame or kill to survive. Random worlds and an adventure mode add further to the replayability and monthly updates add significant amounts of new content to the game if you somehow manage to exhaust what the game comes with now. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoyed Minecraft (But wished it was harder), Terraria (But wanted more survival elements) or Fallout New Vegas Hardcore Mode (But wanted more threat of actually starving). Expand
  19. Apr 24, 2013
    It's like a Tim Burton style Minecraft.Seriously, that dark atmosphere sucks you in.You will spend your hours for this game, trust me.Buy it or trade it or win a giveaway or something but seriously, get this game
  20. May 23, 2013
    One of the best game-plays I have seen. Fun, very entertaining and difficult.

Focus is survival but in actuality it is more of base creation. You need to plan out well, make sure you survive through winter... that would be an accomplishment. Then next would be fighting the boss. That part I havent figure it out yet :)

But the devs are great for this game very nice updates to
    be expected and the game is quite stable upon release. I have not experience a single crash. This game is definitely a 10/10. I have more fun at this game compared to other triple A titles that focus more of graphics rather than gameplay. Expand
  21. Apr 24, 2013
    Just awesome... if you're an old school gamer you're gonna love it!!. It bring backs those old memories where games had no guides, no tips, no suggestions, not help at all... you've to figure out everything on your own [I strongly recommend not to look for guides or help on the Internet]. "Don't starve" it's a very accurate title, the search for food becomes a very big problem, adding the fact that you can also go mad, die frozen, get killed by creatures etc.. If you're looking for a really challenging survival, this is your game it's a 10/10 for me.. Expand
  22. Apr 26, 2013
    Amazingly addictive. For such a simple premise this game sucks you in. The permadeath was worrying at first, but it does add to the game. I can't wait to unlock the other characters.
  23. May 18, 2013
    Amazing game play. Beautiful art style and soundtrack.

Negative reviewers obviously did not play enough of the game to see its full potential. Games that require patience reward you handsomely This is not a game for the impatient or those looking for short term fulfillment. Beginning may be a grind, but as each day passes more creatures and events will arise.

Not every developer has
    cash to make an amazing game. Please don't compare this gem to huge blockbusters. Expand
  24. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was an amazing experience for me, the only boring part is collecting twigs, grass, and wood. The next step gets me excited, for every 10 or so days you will get attacked and there are dangers that lurk with every place you go to. Also with the new underground area with giant rabbits, trying to kill you for revenge from their lost brothers (the regular rabbits you killed) and the harder bosses like the spider queen and the forest guardian, but i just think this game is one of the best i have ever played. Expand
  25. Jun 11, 2013
    Yet another game like Minecraft and Terraria.
    And I must say its very addicting. Survival part of this one is way ahead of Minecraft and Terria. I would say its achieved trough great balance. No meter what you do, you are always short, and when you think you are safe game throws new challenge at you.
    If you like a feeling of trying to survive in hostile environment with multiple
    strategies definitely try this Expand
  26. Nov 19, 2013
    After a pile of hours in this game, I can honestly say it's one for me. Those that complain about things "two-shotting" them haven't made it to the point where they can respawn yet. Yes, it's a bit of a grind at first when you're just learning. Though if you continue on and start figuring out the world around you it becomes far easier. So if you're looking for a game that doesn't hold your hand and tell you exactly what you need to do, this is it. As the world around is trying to eat you while you attempt not to starve or go insane. ^_^ Expand
  27. Apr 26, 2013
    Pros: +Art style is very reminiscent of something tim burton would do. +Fantastic character designs. +It's a very quirky and funny game overall. +Randomly generated worlds make every adventure feel different (to an extent). +Combat can be quite fun with a nice variety of ways to defeat enemies +You can farm, trap animals, fight, do magic, and fight against going insane among other things.

Cons: -Not very noob-friendly in the beginning (if you're having trouble surviving then check out the forums on steam or klei's website).
    -The crafting system should be even deeper in my opinion.
  28. Jun 30, 2013
    How the hell is this anything like Minecraft or Terraria?
    It seems that any game that features survival is a Minecraft clone nowadays, this is a entirely different game from Minecraft or Terraria and focuses more on survival than building or mining as you have to gather food so that you don't starve and light a fire before night comes or you die instantly.

While mining and building are
    in the game they're not all that useful as you'll spend most of your time searching for resources to help you survive rather than creating walls as they can be a waste of resources that you needed to make into a trap or something.

Don't Starve features great artwork and music that add to the atmosphere of the game.
  29. May 10, 2013
    You're dropped off in the middle of some parallel universe, with nothing. Your immediate goal is to collect the materials necessary to build and maintain a fire before the end of dusk, or else unspeakable horrors will devour you whole in the black of night. In order to survive, you'll have to mine, hunt, kill, forage, farm, stockpile, build, and prepare for Winter. If you fail to perform sanity restoring actions like sleeping and picking flowers, you will slowly drift into insanity, where your own demons await. And, one, last, very important thing: DON'T STARVE!

This game is awesome ^_^ Sandbox, strategy, rpg, with monsters and magic. It is a game of exploration, and survival. If you turn it into a game of grind, then I think you're doing it wrong. Of course stockpiling for Winter is a big part of the game, but you must move around the world (and far away from whatever home you create for yourself) in order to progress.
  30. Koo
    Jul 21, 2013
    Don't Starve is great fun in small doses. It has a certain charm about it I really like, and the gameplay is enjoyable too. For a game with no walk throughs or tips built-in, it is surprisingly easy to pick-up. Mouse cursor activated tooltips give you most of the information you need (e.g. what you need to build things) and beyond that, the game is about experimentation. And it is fun to explore. Don't Starve is one of those games where you will die several times before you make progress, but that's part of the fun in my opinion. Provided you are willing to learn from your mistakes, this is a very enjoyable game. The game's soundtrack is fantastic as well. 9/10 Expand

1. Jul 19, 2013
    Don’t Starve is a game for those who persevere. The infinitely playable survival RPG with an artsy appearance tests your endurance, but rewards players with a surprisingly unique experience.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    It's a game that just keeps giving, even as it tears your life from you. [Issue#136, p.110]
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    A refreshingly upfront experience, right down to the title. A game that shoves players into a complex, harsh world with little explanation, it can be tough to parse at first. But little by little, Don't Starve reveals itself via deep mechanics and an ever-evolving world. It started strong and got better.