8.4

1. Apr 25, 2013
    I had good fun with this game for a few hours until I got really bored of it's repetitive nature, this game is solely base on the fundamentals of grinding, which is something that I detest and hate in games now.

I have come back to try the game every major beta update, but no update makes me want to continue playing, pick grass, pick sticks, cut this, dig that, catch animal, eat animal, all this for a little counter (days) to increase.

People are showing their love for an independent small game, but a userscore of 9.2 suggests this game is up there and past other games such as Tomb Raider (2013), Bioshock Infinity, Starcraft 2 HotS, etc, no it's not anywhere close to those. In fact I had more fun with free flash games for longer periods, I'm sorry Don't starve, I didn't like you very much!
  2. Apr 24, 2013
    Very nice art style, and music. Gameplay wise, it may seem like other "survival" games out there, but this one is really different. Playing the game non-stop is not recommended; it may get too boring too fast, let this game be a break from other ones, and enjoy the experience as long as it lasts.
  3. May 1, 2013
    Great game, I followed it since it first appeared on Steam, and loved all the updates it got. It was like Minecraft experience all over again. I love when I can see all the new things being added And now after the release it's not over yet The devs will still keep new updates coming!
  4. Jun 14, 2013
    Apparently one of many overrated and hyped Indie games that keep popping up recently.
    A simple, random generated arcade-ish clicking game in a line of: run around try to stay alive die randomly restart from scratch go again. Without any story, sense or even tutorial.
    You run around very basic, random generated islands, grinding various resources by clicking on objects like trees and rocks. Then you can create various tools out of resource so you can grind more. Rinse, repeat.
    With lack of any idea about what you should do and what to avoid, with no Save functionality, the game start to get very frustrating very soon, while also quite boring from repetition.
    People used to create this kind of simple games in Flash for free and there are still plenty of them available on the web if you so desire.
    The only new thing with this one is that somebody is not ashamed to charge $15 for it, and the only special thing about it is the hype that seem to surround it. Plus a self-proclaimed deep design philosophy explained by author(s?). I only found user un-friendlines though.
    The game is really not worth the price, no matter what the hype tells you.
    You can check 15minutes demo for free on Google Chrome web store and greatly advice it before buying.
  5. May 7, 2013
    This game is similar to Minecraft's survival mode. You go around gathering resources to craft items, build, feed yourself, and make sure you don't go insane. The insanity meter is interesting because if forces you to do different things otherwise crazy things happen. Death is permanent, so if you die you have to start a new game. For a game that's supposed to be a time-waster and meant toThis game is similar to Minecraft's survival mode. You go around gathering resources to craft items, build, feed yourself, and make sure you don't go insane. The insanity meter is interesting because if forces you to do different things otherwise crazy things happen. Death is permanent, so if you die you have to start a new game. For a game that's supposed to be a time-waster and meant to be played multiple times, it progresses very slowly, and I find that a big issue. I can put in a few hours, finally feel like I'm getting somewhere, and then just like that I can die from monsters or something, and that makes the game feel tedious. If the game started off with some items, like a pick ax, and progressed faster, it would be much better. I would much prefer playing something like FTL which makes me feel like I'm getting a lot more done after playing a short period of time, and I don't mind starting a new game with FTL. This game suffers from that long grind that I'm not a big fan of. It's still worth checking out, but keep in mind of it's pacing. Expand
  6. May 11, 2013
    I don't get how people give this game such high scores. It's fun the first couple of playthroughs when you don't know what's going on and you're just exploring, but once you become a bit more familiar with it every playthrough is a 6 hour long grind to craft all the things you need, which can (and will) end abruptly by something just popping up and 2-shotting you. The grind turns fromI don't get how people give this game such high scores. It's fun the first couple of playthroughs when you don't know what's going on and you're just exploring, but once you become a bit more familiar with it every playthrough is a 6 hour long grind to craft all the things you need, which can (and will) end abruptly by something just popping up and 2-shotting you. The grind turns from "tedious" to "completely unbearable" when you are trying to keep several pigs around so you can actually attempt to kill something. Let me put it this way, if you think this is "OMG SO HAERDCORE AND CHALLANGING", you are retarded, plain and simple. If you want a challenging game, go play the old Xcom games, this is not challenging, just repetitive and cheap, both in concept and execution. Expand
  7. Apr 23, 2013
    I play Don't Starve since first days it appeared on Steam, so I can surely say it's a really, really great game. It offers ultimate survival challenge and basically is just mind-blowing. Monsters, created by your morbid imagination, pigmen working for food, traditional Grue, cranky Scottish noble walrus who hunts you at winter, terrifying Deerclop...
    It's pretty hard and you need to spend
    It's pretty hard and you need to spend some time reading Wiki to understand what actually happening but it's absolutely worth it. Also, this game inherits one of the main principles of roguelikes: losing is really fun, so you will rather laugh at ridiculousness of your death than get frustrated.
    DS is highly customizable, so if you find it too hard you can always increase amount of food, resources etc.
    So, let's make a conclusion: this game has great gameplay, brilliant artstyle and atmosphere, offers real challenge, but is relaxing and welcoming to novice at the same time. Must have.
  8. May 24, 2013
    I really don't understand the good reviews as this game is nothing special. It gets repetitive very quickly as you need to do the same stuff over and over again.
    Game art is ridiculous for survival type of the game, everything is gray and unrealistic. The music is ok but other sounds are annoying.
    I really wanted to understand this game, but it simply isn't for me.
  9. Sep 17, 2013
    An excellent game. Bought it based upon the survival elements and price. Like other survival/exploration games (you know the ones) it offers longevity and quirky game play. Each time you restart you'll learn a lesson and do it better. My top tip is stock up on food early on until you can build traps. Initially it was (as the name suggests) starvation that finished me off. Similar to aAn excellent game. Bought it based upon the survival elements and price. Like other survival/exploration games (you know the ones) it offers longevity and quirky game play. Each time you restart you'll learn a lesson and do it better. My top tip is stock up on food early on until you can build traps. Initially it was (as the name suggests) starvation that finished me off. Similar to a Roguelike game, once you die that's it. No save game, restore point or trial and error. This makes you think carefully before attacking a spider nest or venturing too far from camp. Enjoy Expand
  10. Apr 24, 2013
    The game is fun. Very fun indeed. But that fun doesn't last long. When I got it, I couldn't stop playing for about 3 days. I gifted a copy to my gf and she loved it. But after playing some times until day 30-60, that's it. After playing for a week every free moment my gf had, she never looked back. I checked the patchnotes from time to time, even started a few games, but never got into itThe game is fun. Very fun indeed. But that fun doesn't last long. When I got it, I couldn't stop playing for about 3 days. I gifted a copy to my gf and she loved it. But after playing some times until day 30-60, that's it. After playing for a week every free moment my gf had, she never looked back. I checked the patchnotes from time to time, even started a few games, but never got into it again.

Well, there are many big name games that you can finish in one day, so one week of fun is pretty ok. I would recommend this game to everybody. Even players who don't like Minecraft or Terraria. This game is less special, more suited for any gamer. But at the end, it's a game that won't last like those other 2
  11. May 19, 2013
    Clever, excellent art style and general production quality, but once you get past the "oh gee" reaction it's just a grindy clickfest. It's a shame because much more is hinted at, but this just doesn't deliver.
  12. Apr 23, 2013
    tl;dr Buy this game.

This game is really great and loads of fun. It has a unique art style and developers who really care about the quality of the game, and who are actively involved in the fairly large community that has appeared since the game went into beta last year. The game also has mods that can be found on the forums, and a lot of the game files are in plain-text Lua scripts
    tl;dr Buy this game.

The game also has mods that can be found on the forums, and a lot of the game files are in plain-text Lua scripts so if there's something in the game that turns you off you can probably change it. But don't do stuff like "I can now craft a Nightmare Sword with a twig" or "rabbits no longer run from me" or you'll get bored from the easiness.

The gameplay is pretty addictive, and if you like Terraria or Minecraft you should feel right at home in this game. Not too say it's similar to those two games: it's worlds apart. And about worlds, you can customize your randomly-generated world in Don't Starve to make it easier (or harder). Can't find enough food in the early game? Add more berries and carrots. Hounds just too much for you? You can get rid of them. Being able to customize your world is, in my opinion, a really bright idea.
  13. Apr 30, 2013
    Don't starve was a game that I was constantly looking at on steam, and finally decided to give it a go. I was a bit apprehensive but have not looked back. It has such a fun, addictive gameplay that it never seems to get old. Unlocking new characters, exploring new areas, and discovering new ways to die! Great graphics, great concept, and with extra content being released for 6 months afterDon't starve was a game that I was constantly looking at on steam, and finally decided to give it a go. I was a bit apprehensive but have not looked back. It has such a fun, addictive gameplay that it never seems to get old. Unlocking new characters, exploring new areas, and discovering new ways to die! Great graphics, great concept, and with extra content being released for 6 months after launch it will continue to be replayable. It will a game that will be easy to come back to in a years time and still have fun with it. Expand
  14. Apr 23, 2013
    Don't Starve is receiving the standard "Indie game devs games are always perfect" praise that most working indie games. Don't Starve seemed like an interesting concept, but not anything particularly new. It seemed to draw on elements of Minecraft, Terraria, and other survival based "Create your own adventure" sort of games. The problem with Don't Starve isn't that the game is really badlyDon't Starve is receiving the standard "Indie game devs games are always perfect" praise that most working indie games. Don't Starve seemed like an interesting concept, but not anything particularly new. It seemed to draw on elements of Minecraft, Terraria, and other survival based "Create your own adventure" sort of games. The problem with Don't Starve isn't that the game is really badly made or anything it looks fine and I didn't encounter any errors or glitches. The problem is the game becomes boring really quick. After I managed to survive for awhile I kept exploring and just didn't find anything but more of what I already had. You can craft better items and some can be helpful, but generally they just serve to help you do the same things over and over again quicker. I think the other reviewers were playing a different game, the crafting system in this game was very boring and uninspired. Literally the ingredients needed are listed and the crafted items generally either do the same things faster or they provide information that's not really that helpful. I found rocks to be very sparse compared to other resources in the game which required very lengthy expeditions to find new rock after all the relatively local rock was mined. While I didn't get bored of Minecraft until some time after I played it, same with Terraria I was bored of Don't Starve very quickly. It just felt tedious and boring. Parts of Minecraft and Terraria felt like this too, but they had their rewarding accomplishments. Don't Starve feels like a game that exists just to exist. When I inevitably died from lack of enough resources derived from rocks, I just had no real drive to try again. If you enjoy really repetitive games, you might like Don't Starve but I got bored with this one so quickly I got a refund while it was still a pre-order. I'm giving this game a decent score because it's not broken, it's just not that much fun. The game feels too limited about what you can build or do, so it really seems to lack the fun value of a Terraria or Minecraft kind of game. I love survival games, but this one just lacked any real interesting elements to it. Minecraft and Terraria may not be survival games at their core but they had more enjoyable survival elements than Don't Starve by far. Expand
  15. May 1, 2013
    Don’t Starve is one of those, firework kind of games, where you have this expectation of at least a good survival game, and it delivers. However, when the awe of the blast and colors dissipates you see what you are truly left with. Unfortunately, the fun of the games survival mechanic quickly turns into a horrible grind more frustrating and boring than even the most aggravating MMORPG.Don’t Starve is one of those, firework kind of games, where you have this expectation of at least a good survival game, and it delivers. However, when the awe of the blast and colors dissipates you see what you are truly left with. Unfortunately, the fun of the games survival mechanic quickly turns into a horrible grind more frustrating and boring than even the most aggravating MMORPG.
    But this is not to take away from some of the games better points. Though the beginning of the game can eventually become a boring grind, especially if you die a lot, if you’re able to continue past the first winter you are golden and able to explore as much as you want. The biomes are beautifully done in the games unique art style, and almost seems to call for you to find out what is hiding around every corner.
    I loved the survival mechanic of eating, and that they added a very rarely seen mental aspect to the game that added a number of levels to the difficulty and the fun. I also liked the crafting system in the game and that for most of the tech all you needed was a science machine and the proper ingredients. And with the supplies you have gathered always at risk of going bad you find yourself constantly trying to improve the longevity of your provisions.
    The monsters, in the beginning, can be somewhat bland and boring, with spiders, the occasional wolf, and the beefalo wandering around, but with some searching and a little bit of luck you can stumble across some of the more interesting creatures in the game. I found that some of my favorites were the clockwork creatures, but only because I needed their guts in order to make my refrigerator.
    The combat is fairly simple in Don’t Starve, just click and kill. You do need to watch you distance from the larger enemies, because they don’t become stunned when attacking and they hit for massive damage, but for the most part they are all killable with a range of effort. There are a few ranged weapons, but they really don’t warrant much mentioning
    But is the game as a whole a good game?
    Yes it is. It’s the type of game that you can play when everything else had bored you and you want a challenge. It’s a welcome breath of fresh air and a look away from the perpetual easy mode that has plagued most games in recent years, and though the game can become quite the grind at certain points you cannot resist its unique charm and allure.
    This game gets a 6. It’s a Decent game and fun to play when you’re bored, but not something that you should really be killing to get.
  16. May 26, 2013
    Like some here have already mentioned it takes quite a while and grinding to get a good game going and there are so many things one can do that I spent more time reading guides on the web than actually playing. Which wouldn't be the case if it wasn't a permadeath game. In which case one could just enjoy the great, quirky design and the loads of possibilities of things to do in the world.Like some here have already mentioned it takes quite a while and grinding to get a good game going and there are so many things one can do that I spent more time reading guides on the web than actually playing. Which wouldn't be the case if it wasn't a permadeath game. In which case one could just enjoy the great, quirky design and the loads of possibilities of things to do in the world. But as it stands, I feel way too much pressure that I would want to bother finding out where to get a resource and how to build something. Expand
  17. Apr 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Minor Spoilers]Don't Stave is an excellent game. The best game I've played in quite some time. If you go into the game expecting an easy casual game experience you will be shell-shocked. Don't starve is harsh and unforgiving and you can die quickly. Which is a great thing for a survival game, in my opinion.

Your first character is a scientist named Wilson, but you can unlock other characters, each with a signature perk. You are throw into a world knowing little and with nothing. You must forage, hunt, farm, fish, and trap your food. As you explore you'll encounter a number of different enemies and you'll have periodic raids on you camp by hounds. The raiding hounds increase in strength as time goes on. Additionally, you'll encounter various boss type enemies.

I said you start knowing little. You can and must research various things to survive in this hostile world. You have to gather resources to research various items, which will require you to push your exploration far from your base. And there are some interesting things to research. Some more "magic" in nature (though "magic" plays mostly a minor role, don't expect to be a "wizard" in the game.

Great graphic style, great game play, and great re-playability. A 10 in my book.
  18. Apr 23, 2013
    This is one fantastic game. This is very well set apart from other survival games such as Minecraft and the like, as it is one that allows you to learn lessons after death easier, as instead of adjusting the difficulty to peaceful, you have to restart all over again. This also has a far better adventure mode on it. There is also a far better sense of achievement to this game, as this gameThis is one fantastic game. This is very well set apart from other survival games such as Minecraft and the like, as it is one that allows you to learn lessons after death easier, as instead of adjusting the difficulty to peaceful, you have to restart all over again. This also has a far better adventure mode on it. There is also a far better sense of achievement to this game, as this game is far harder than other creative building games. All in all, I could give you millions more reasons to buy don't starve, but it's undeniably a solid 10/10. Expand
  19. Apr 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. “Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic. You play as Wilson, a Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment to its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home. Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play your way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land.”

It was a normal day, I logged onto steam to do my daily dose of gaming as I noticed a window pop open that said “Don’t Starve Coming soon”. As the name intrigued me I clicked it to take a look at what this could be, another game similar to Minecraft maybe? The trailer revealed to me that it had similar concepts to Minecraft as the main point was to survive but this looked a little more intense and more hard-core. This got my attention fast and I purchased it as soon as I could and got access to the Beta as the game was not fully released yet. Magnificent.

When you spawn into the game you straight away get shown the very neat looks of a similar style to a lot of Tim Burton Films which fit this game perfectly as it has a very sinister atmosphere to the game especially at night. The main idea of the game is great and has a lot of potential and can keep you needing to play it for a few days but I do feel it lacks on the entertainment side of things. I say this because the amount that you play it will depend on the type of player that you are, if you rely on the game to give you constant action and fun it will not do that for you. This is because you will need to learn what kills you and then when you replay after you die it is just preventing the way you died before which in the end boils down to preparing for winter by stockpiling food over and over until you fail at something. Although I say this I am the type of player that loves this and plays most games for the whole stockpile element to them, which Don’t Starve is perfect for giving this to me. Even if this doesn't interest you for the same reason as me it will still defiantly keep you occupied for days and be 100% worth the money as it is only £11.99.

Don’t starves ‘Dark side’ shows when you get to night for the first time and instantly die when you don’t make a fire, which shows you straight away that it’s going to need research or trial and error to survive in don’t starve. As well as the threat of needing a fire as night falls you also need to take care of your sanity, keep well fed and also stay away from terrifying wolves and unusual eye creatures. When you first find out any of this stuff it is a thrill and keeps you intrigued to find out what happens if you defeat what killed you. “What could get me next time?” Don’t starve reveals some of its sinister side when your sanity lowers and you start seeing creatures and figures that render you speechless the first time you see them, even creepy hands that lower the flame in your fire at night.

Overall I would say that Don’t starve is well worth the amount that you pay for if not more. It is the ultimate survival experience and brings loads of fun along with its unique art style and sinister game play. Don’t Starve is undeniably a solid 10/10.
  20. Jul 14, 2013
    I thought this game was great for the first few hours because I could see the potential for what it might be. However, this game is literally about grinding yourself to death. The only way to learn about what kills you is to be killed by it. Every time you die, you have to start a new game. So, literally you are grinding with the expectation of dieing in order to learn something new aboutI thought this game was great for the first few hours because I could see the potential for what it might be. However, this game is literally about grinding yourself to death. The only way to learn about what kills you is to be killed by it. Every time you die, you have to start a new game. So, literally you are grinding with the expectation of dieing in order to learn something new about the game and avoid dieing the next time around.

I think the game designers were very lazy. The menu system is broken and inadequate. They intentionally hide relevant details from you to make the game more difficult and mysterious. They tell you not to go to the wiki because it reduces the "adventure" effect, but you absolutely need the wiki to tell you basic things that should be indicated within the game.

I only spent a few bucks on the game, but I'm still disappointed enough to come here write a review about how absurd this supposedly innovative game truly is. I would highly advise that you buy the game, play it, and then go the game maker's website and give them an ear full about whatever you think so that they can further improve this game. I think you'll find these other reviewers who game the game a 3 or less are spot on with their assessment.
  21. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is a farming game, 95% of the time you grind stuff and hope you don't die during the night/ process. Don’t bother farming anything during the night. If you do, it’s “game over”—unless you've found a rare sacred stone or built yourself a meat sacrifice thing—which to even get to that level is a task in and of itself. If you love walking around and just clicking on different plantsThis game is a farming game, 95% of the time you grind stuff and hope you don't die during the night/ process. Don’t bother farming anything during the night. If you do, it’s “game over”—unless you've found a rare sacred stone or built yourself a meat sacrifice thing—which to even get to that level is a task in and of itself. If you love walking around and just clicking on different plants and running away from freaky long legged birds that kill you in 2 hits, then this is the game for you.

I only continued in hopes that it would eventually get better but it remained boring. I played about 14 hours of the game, it never got better. It got ‘different,’ but still ‘boring different’. Even after collecting half a dozen pigs in my man-pig army. The game wasn’t bad or poorly designed as a whole, it was simply boring. Grinding stuff the majority of the time is incredibly boring. I’d seriously rather just watch my cat groom herself for an hour in the same spot, over and over and over again. Games like Terraria and Mine Craft are fun when grinding, you can literally shape the world around you while you grind for stuff and even use the world to interact with on some level in real-time to fight or block off enemies. All of these great aspects you can't do in this game. It takes far more investment to get to any of these aspects and the pacing doesn’t allow for this in real-time because you’d die while trying to build anything.

I see the charm in their style and how this game paces itself with items and animations, I like that and it is interesting. But it doesn’t make up for a boring game which just becomes frustratingly difficult when they punish you every time you die. This is not an effective way to hook players in for more, difficulty does not equal fun. Mechanics equal fun, fun and engaging game mechanics. Yes games 15 even 20 years ago games were very difficult and unforgiving but because of their crude graphics and controls they needed fundamentally strong game mechanics. That they were difficult was an aspect of arcade gaming crossing over into consoles. Terraria is a great example of this because the game has little if any story at all, it is paced purely off the players choices and actions. The designers for Don’t Starve would benefit greatly from reading some books on game theory or taking a few courses for learning about game mechanics etc. Don’t bother wasting your time on this boring game, unless you’re into clicking stuff pointlessly for hours with no story at all and collecting imaginary digital shrubs, grass, rocks, etc. Or unless they come out with a seriously significant update that changes a major aspect of this game as a whole.

I can’t even begin to really describe to you how boring this game is, and I’ve play over a thousand hours on various grinding games. This takes the cake.

The Good:
    Charming Consistent Visual Style
    Animations and Sounds
    Simple UI and Menus
    Intuitive Controls

The Bad:
    Extremely Boring
    Horribly Unforgiving
    Too linear for its Genre for an Adventure is lacks story for Simulation it lacks interactions.
    If if they mean simulation as in a farm simulator... then yeah, move along and get Farm Simulator 2013, at least that game knows what it is. I can easily imagine Farm Simulator 2013 being 1000x more fun than this game.
    The UI for building and researching stuff could be a lot better; any means of finding out about the game you’d have to refer to a wiki site--and the developers don't want you to do that.
    And for an indie game as boring as this is, and charging more than 5 dollars with a serious face should be a crime, unless all the money is going to the sound and art guys then I support that.
  22. Dec 5, 2013
    A failed experiment at game making, this game is repetitive and boring soon after the initial exploration and trail and error novelty wear off. Permadeath makes this game pointless to ever waste your time even trying to enjoy it. Its supposed to be hardcore but is laughably easy once you realize how to exploit the gameworld.

The forums of the game makers are full of rude people that

The forums of the game makers are full of rude people that attack any member who doesnt believe the game is perfect, which is a good indication this game will never be changed for the better, as the developers coddle the dysfunctional few fans the game has.

Save your money and get an actual fun game.
  23. Apr 24, 2013
    While very late to the build and survive theme, it still offers some enjoyment. There is no story and no plot (well maybe some in the adventure mode) and all you have to do is survive as long as you can or want. You have three stats. Health, Hunger and Sanity. You start out with some instructions for tools to get you started and then you're on your own to explore a world mixed withWhile very late to the build and survive theme, it still offers some enjoyment. There is no story and no plot (well maybe some in the adventure mode) and all you have to do is survive as long as you can or want. You have three stats. Health, Hunger and Sanity. You start out with some instructions for tools to get you started and then you're on your own to explore a world mixed with forests, deserts swamps and more. The longer you survive the more Experience Points you earn and each level unlocked unlocks a new character with its own unique skill. The price is a tad too much so I'd wait for a sale or a dollar drop. It's sandbox so after all, it's repetitive, but it needs to be. The world customization is very touch. Everything is set as default, the problem is when clicks "more" or "less" the unbalance between them literally makes them one click from "not enough and must start new game" to "too much and no skill required." It's fun for a thirty to sixty minute play, but you can (and will) become bored very quickly so don't play it in huge amounts of time. Expand
  24. Apr 29, 2013
    It really is a shame that this one idiot reviewer on hardcoregamer knocked the score down so far on this game and couldn't even spell the main character's name right or decided for some reason not to review half the game and just complain about sandbox mode.

That being said, the people that are calling it repetitive or grind like probably didn't play this game's adventure mode (which is very challenging and often nerve wrecking) and stayed in sandbox. Sandbox mode is only to really get you adequate with the game's mechanics and such but after you get use to that and things become less dire, adventure mode is where you go for a challenge.

It is a good game and definitively worth the price tag. While it does have some cosmetic things in it it's mainly about survival. i've spent 120 hours on it so i've definitively got my monies worth. also you can adjust the difficulty in sandbox mode to make it even more challenging for yourself~
  25. Apr 23, 2013
    Great game for the price. Just kinda thrusts you into the world with no explanation on what to do; no hand holding, no instruction, just survival. You really learn through your first couple times, what it takes to survive and each subsequent time you learn from your mistakes, (not building any winter clothing that first winter, getting and attacking a tier 3 spider nest). For people thatGreat game for the price. Just kinda thrusts you into the world with no explanation on what to do; no hand holding, no instruction, just survival. You really learn through your first couple times, what it takes to survive and each subsequent time you learn from your mistakes, (not building any winter clothing that first winter, getting and attacking a tier 3 spider nest). For people that are new to survival games, or hadn't played one in what seems like forever, this is a good place to start. The unique visuals to the game are another strong point, with all the different characters, tools, monsters and world. Each character has their strong suit (like Wilson, who can grow a beard which acts as protection in winter or Wolfgang who hits like a tank). Overall, it's a game worth exploring and getting better at. It gives me great motivation when I've seen screenshots of people at day 500...and just getting through a week is pretty challenging. Expand
  26. May 24, 2013
    Definitely a great game with a fantastic art style and soundtrack. It's like Minecraft mixed with Terraria with some Tim Burton added in. I can't wait for the future updates. It doesn't seem to get old and is very original in term of gameplay and survival games. Really an amazing deal for its $15 price.
  27. Apr 26, 2013
    This is a very good rogue-like game. Each game starts off on a randomly generated map with differing resource allocations, so each game is a chance to start fresh and develop new survival strategies for each play. The different playable characters each add something fresh with a unique perk and dialogue. Almost every time I have died it was due to a combination of a couple of mistakes IThis is a very good rogue-like game. Each game starts off on a randomly generated map with differing resource allocations, so each game is a chance to start fresh and develop new survival strategies for each play. The different playable characters each add something fresh with a unique perk and dialogue. Almost every time I have died it was due to a combination of a couple of mistakes I have made, and each death is a learning experience. It takes a bit of thought to manage your health, hunger, sanity, and in the winter, freezing meters (although the freezing meter is not shown). As someone who bought into the beta I have put over 60 hours into this game already, and I feel it is a really good way to spend 12-15 dollars, especially if you enjoy rogue-like games, and are open to the idea that you will by dying and restarting from scratch fairly often. Expand
  28. Apr 23, 2013
    Don't Starve is a ultimate survival game, which allows you to play by many ways. Such things like randomized world, awesome craft and different characters gives you an unique adventure every time you push the start button.

Two other things that I like about game is a unique visual style and an regular updates. You can also offer a new ideas on the forum. What else can I say? Simply

What else can I say? Simply must have. One of the best indie game I ever played, and absolutely the best survival game for me.
  29. Apr 27, 2013
    I played this game non stop today and can't seem to stop playing it. Great atmosphere and unique art style Yes, it can get pretty repetitive at times but I absolutely enjoy every moment of it. This game has a lot to offer with different tools and creatures you face in your never ending quest to survive.
  30. Apr 24, 2013
    Been looking forward to this game and it does deliver!

Love the way u hav to figure everything out yourself... the feeling of discovery is really THERE!

great art style and great sound...

overall... real good fun...

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE AND DONT STARVE...DYING IS FUN...
  31. Apr 25, 2013
    I created a Metacritic account just to give this game a good review. I bought this game at half price on a whim back when the beta started and have very much enjoyed the experience. As others have said, even though the game inevitably becomes a bit dull (as all games do), the "hours of entertainment per dollar" value can't be beat and the great artwork is worth the price of admissionI created a Metacritic account just to give this game a good review. I bought this game at half price on a whim back when the beta started and have very much enjoyed the experience. As others have said, even though the game inevitably becomes a bit dull (as all games do), the "hours of entertainment per dollar" value can't be beat and the great artwork is worth the price of admission alone.

The game is a point-and-click, top-down-view "survival" title, where you are dropped into an enchanted forest world that hates you and wants you to die. The world is randomly generated based on parameters you select (think Age of Empires) and changes with every new game. You must explore, gather raw materials, and fight critters in order to manage hunger, health and "sanity" levels. As the days go on, you construct equipment and establish base structures of increasing complexity, which are all needed to take on the increasingly difficult monsters and environmental challenges the game throws at you. Death is permanent and makes you plan your actions very carefully, yet there is a useful late-game mechanic that lets you make an effigy of yourself out of meat, wood, and hair (not making that up) that will revive you after a particularly unlucky encounter with a sinister Eyeclops or blowgun-toting-kilt-wearing-walrus (also not making that up).

The feeling of progression is wonderful as the game plays out. You go from foraging for berries and mushrooms to harvesting corn from farm plots to make tasty fish tacos. You go from a measly campfire to a roaring fire pit, surrounded by stone walls and chests of loot. And while you begin the game running from spiders and fending them off with a pointy stick, you can come back for vengeance later with a shadow sword constructed of pure nightmares and an army of friendly pig-men. Also, you've given the pig-men top hats, because it's important to look dapper.

Artistically, the game is very unique and incredibly weird, with a style that makes all the characters and props look like living pencil and charcoal drawings. The theme is playful and cartoony while having very sinister undertones. Think Alice in Wonderland and Nightmare Before Christmas, with a dose of Lovecraft thrown in when your sanity dips and you start to go nuts. In 40+ hours of play, I haven't stopped smiling at how goofy the berry-stealing Gobbler is or how the noble Beefalo herds stare at you blankly when you walk by. And the shadowy hand that slowly reaches out of the darkness to snuff out your camp fire (with the background sound of a broken jack-in-the-box) is just straight-up disturbing.

Speaking of campfires, the day/night cycle this game has is one of the best implemented I've seen in a video game. There is a day/dusk/night rotation (as well as a summer/winter/rainstorm mechanic) that greatly influences how the world and the player behave. Rabbits frolic during the day, creepy/crawly things come out at dusk, and straying from a light source for even a few seconds at night causes an unseen horror to straight-up murder you. Even when you're far into a game with an established, well-stocked campsite, you're still just a castaway huddled next to a fire, gnawing on a rabbit bone, trying not to go crazy.

Which brings me to my last point concerning difficulty. At some point, the game stops ramping up challenges so quickly and just starts to just cycle them. It's then when players begin to complain of boredom. "I've survived 100 days and now the game is boooring!" Well, boredom only comes from security and security is only achieved from a fully-explored map and campsite bursting with supplies and gadgets. There's always the option of stuffing a few things in a sack and jumping through the Teleportato (not a typo) to generate a whole new, unmapped, dangerous world. I've done this several times and the thrill of mapping out a new island hasn't gotten old.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to eat a sack full of mushrooms and beat an angry, walking pine tree to death with a bat made out of ham, all while tripping my ass off and hallucinating rabbits with beards. Then, maybe I'll play Don't Starve some more.
  32. Apr 29, 2013
    Don't starve is one of those games that you can put hours and hours into and still keep you playing. It gives the player loads of different things to do and they are still updating the game and adding new content. This game's art style is fantastic, it has a Gothic like feel. It is up their with the best survival games and sometimes makes you panic.

I bought this game in Beta and played

I bought this game in Beta and played it ever since. Sorry for saying this but it is almost like where Minecraft began in playing the game and adding content while you play whilst still keeping you griped in the game. I highly recommend this game and you can pick this game up for around £10 on steam.

Remember, Don't Starve!
  33. May 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't Starve is a varied survival game unlike any other where as the game progresses it gets frequently harder to survive. You firstly have to gain a way to get food hence the name "Don't Starve" then after a few days monsters also known as hounds will ambush you constantly between 7 10 days. There are numerous mobs in the wild which are useful and some deadly. An example of this often occurs in Winter when a very large monster will attack you which you must prepare for. Not only does he hit hard, he drains your sanity another thing you have to upkeep then after you kill him hallucinations can attack. Winter is brutal as you can freeze to death and cannot stray too far from your camp, however, there are alternatives to this such as getting a winter hat or 'Heat Stone'.

The story is fairly linear and is more of a challenge but has a good twist but you need to find the area to progress with the story. It gives you insanely hard challenges such as unlimited night time, where you must bring a torch wherever you go making it hard to do certain things.

Overall I think Don't Starve is a great game which I play casually. The only downfall of this game is that they don't add co-op/ multiplier which could further increase the games popularity.
  34. May 20, 2013
    Don't Starve is a highly stylized solo survival game from and isometric perspective that takes place on a plane. The game is deeply challenging and given it's rogue-like style you will need to restart more than once to survive your first winter. The world you find yourself in is populated by a large cast of strange monsters and creatures, many of which you will either need to tame or killDon't Starve is a highly stylized solo survival game from and isometric perspective that takes place on a plane. The game is deeply challenging and given it's rogue-like style you will need to restart more than once to survive your first winter. The world you find yourself in is populated by a large cast of strange monsters and creatures, many of which you will either need to tame or kill to survive. Random worlds and an adventure mode add further to the replayability and monthly updates add significant amounts of new content to the game if you somehow manage to exhaust what the game comes with now. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoyed Minecraft (But wished it was harder), Terraria (But wanted more survival elements) or Fallout New Vegas Hardcore Mode (But wanted more threat of actually starving). Expand
  35. Jul 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have mixed feelings about this game.

The few hours of this game is fantastic. The art style is beautiful and unique. A dark, bleak Tim Burton-esque cartoony look. The music is quirky and gets you in the mood. You are placed in the middle of a survival scenario with a short cinematic and no guidance with interesting looking objects to interact with. You are given absolutely no information on the mechanics of the game. There are three meters, health, hunger and sanity, but these are not explained. You are given a menu on the left of objects you can craft and the materials required, which are not many to start with.

The game is a survival simulator with heavy emphasis on exploration and crafting. Dying is permanent which is made very obvious at the beginning of the game. You will probably die immediately the first night not being told that not having a campfire leads to instant death. Most people will probably die of starvation at some point, they will die when they have their first monster battle without armor, and they will die at the completely arbitrary hound attack that occurs several hours into a playthrough. You lose everything when you die. The early game consists of picking twigs, berries, grass, and collecting wood. You can also dig up grass and saplings to start to cobble a base together. This is time consuming (partially because the animation of picking something which you have to do OVER AND OVER again is somewhat lengthy) and has to be repeated every time you die. You begin to fear death, to the point where you don't want to interact with anything that isn't obviously safe. Now the developer's recommend is to not read the online wiki to preserve mystery. But if death is SO harsh that I don't even want to experiment, is that fun?

Anyways I finally cave and look up the wiki. There is A LOT to the mechanics of this game. You will not be able to figure it out on your own because it is not really intuitive. I had to read the wiki for hours to get a handle on it. The in game descriptions of objects you can craft are laughably vague.

Combat is not fun, it is mainly just clicking an enemy over and over, but you are so easily overwhelmed by more than one enemy or a moderately strong enemy that the main strategy is using hit and run tactics, which isn't very gratifying. You can't wear armor and a backpack at the same time, so you have to switch rapidly into armor whenever you have an encounter. The one ranged weapon in the game I managed to build was the boomerang, which has limited uses and DAMAGES you on the way back if you don't "catch" it, which involves hitting the space key which may or may not work. This is not explained anywhere in the game, you have to look that up online.

The game is very tedious. There wasn't time to explore, nor any great desire to as none of the advanced crafting objects seem like they would make alleviate any of the busy work. You can build a better backpack, but that would slow you down. You could make better armor, but that would slow you down.

Finally I discovered that there is an active modding community. GREAT! It seems to address a lot of these issues. You can add separate slots for backpacks and amulets. Increase the stack size. Tweak the rate food spoils and how hungry you get. Increase the speed of harvesting grass and saplings. Resurrect at your campsite upon death. Increase the container size. Prevent tools and armor from degrading. This removes A LOT of the tedium from the game, and leaves you free to explore. What you discover however once the busy work is removed is there isn't much else to do. Building the advanced objects are not particularly useful or fun. The combat still is not too much fun. There just isn't any real goal.

There is an adventure mode that you have to discover in the game that involves finding various objects in special challenging levels that I think complement the game better, but it doesn't solve a lot of the fundamental issues.

I want this game to be awesome, but it just feels unbalanced and directionless. I find the lack of in game information detracts from the experience. The perma-death and difficulty by obfuscation is enraging and discourages exploration and experimentation. The game has conflicting goals, basically requiring you to set up a base but urging you to explore and be mobile. The crafting and base construction is not rewarding because there is little room for creativity, as most bases will probably look the same between users.

Perhaps with further updates and more mods this game will become more balanced, fun, and rewarding. But it's hard to recommend at the moment. It's for sure fun and addicting for a few hours. Ultimately it is a frustrating and incomplete experience.
  36. Sep 12, 2013
    This "game" has a wonderful art style, and an interesting concept. Sadly, it is not a game. There is no real campaign, no structure, and you can't really win. All you do is grind away endlessly, often encountering frustrating monsters that will instantly ruin hours and hours of game play...which doesn't really matter since there was no way to win anyway. Games that insist you "set yourThis "game" has a wonderful art style, and an interesting concept. Sadly, it is not a game. There is no real campaign, no structure, and you can't really win. All you do is grind away endlessly, often encountering frustrating monsters that will instantly ruin hours and hours of game play...which doesn't really matter since there was no way to win anyway. Games that insist you "set your own goals" or, in this case, "survive as long as you can" doesn't really have a purpose. I survived ten days...I win? Oh I survived 15 days...I win more? Maybe Don't Starve 2 will be a real game. Expand
  37. May 24, 2013
    Don't Starve was fairly entertaining for a good 10 hours or so, which is more than I can say for most indie games. However, Don't Starve can get very boring very quickly. First of all, the begging of the game essentially consists of you running around the wilderness to find a gold nugget for your Science Machine, which could take anywhere from 30 seconds to almost an hour of in-game time.Don't Starve was fairly entertaining for a good 10 hours or so, which is more than I can say for most indie games. However, Don't Starve can get very boring very quickly. First of all, the begging of the game essentially consists of you running around the wilderness to find a gold nugget for your Science Machine, which could take anywhere from 30 seconds to almost an hour of in-game time. After that you build a base, and gather materials, and you don't really have any goal to it all. From what I've read in the update logs, there is some sort of actual story mode, but I have not been able to access it yet. I would normally give a game a free pass for still being in-development, but it clearly states that Don't Starve has had a full release but is still being updated. Speaking of apparently being a "full release," I cannot access fullscreen mode until I go to the .ini files. Running a game in windowed mode is an immediate immersion breaker imo, which was rather disappointing, considering I didn't know I could fix this for the first couple of hours. In the end, I suppose Don't Starve is a decent enough survival game, but Terraria and Minecraft are both far better options at the moment. Expand
  38. Apr 24, 2013
    It's like a Tim Burton style Minecraft.Seriously, that dark atmosphere sucks you in.You will spend your hours for this game, trust me.Buy it or trade it or win a giveaway or something but seriously, get this game
  39. May 18, 2013
    This game gets boring on some point, but it's fun for a while and definitely worth the money. Exploring and figuring out the survival strategies is interesting. Unfortunately once you got them all, there's not much else to do, other than repeating same patterns over and over. Much like in a real survival situation I guess. Still, you are likely to get decent amount of fun out of it. ThinkThis game gets boring on some point, but it's fun for a while and definitely worth the money. Exploring and figuring out the survival strategies is interesting. Unfortunately once you got them all, there's not much else to do, other than repeating same patterns over and over. Much like in a real survival situation I guess. Still, you are likely to get decent amount of fun out of it. Think of it like this: many expensive games offer maybe 10 hours of story-driven playthrough, after which you'll be done with them; this one is certainly good for at least 10 hours. Expand
  40. May 23, 2013
    One of the best game-plays I have seen. Fun, very entertaining and difficult.

Focus is survival but in actuality it is more of base creation. You need to plan out well, make sure you survive through winter... that would be an accomplishment. Then next would be fighting the boss. That part I havent figure it out yet :) But the devs are great for this game very nice updates to
    One of the best game-plays I have seen. Fun, very entertaining and difficult.

But the devs are great for this game very nice updates to be expected and the game is quite stable upon release. I have not experience a single crash. This game is definitely a 10/10. I have more fun at this game compared to other triple A titles that focus more of graphics rather than gameplay.
  41. Apr 24, 2013
    Just awesome... if you're an old school gamer you're gonna love it!!. It bring backs those old memories where games had no guides, no tips, no suggestions, not help at all... you've to figure out everything on your own [I strongly recommend not to look for guides or help on the Internet]. "Don't starve" it's a very accurate title, the search for food becomes a very big problem, adding theJust awesome... if you're an old school gamer you're gonna love it!!. It bring backs those old memories where games had no guides, no tips, no suggestions, not help at all... you've to figure out everything on your own [I strongly recommend not to look for guides or help on the Internet]. "Don't starve" it's a very accurate title, the search for food becomes a very big problem, adding the fact that you can also go mad, die frozen, get killed by creatures etc.. If you're looking for a really challenging survival, this is your game it's a 10/10 for me.. Expand
  42. Apr 26, 2013
    Amazingly addictive. For such a simple premise this game sucks you in. The permadeath was worrying at first, but it does add to the game. I can't wait to unlock the other characters.
  43. May 18, 2013
    Amazing game play. Beautiful art style and soundtrack.

Negative reviewers obviously did not play enough of the game to see its full potential. Games that require patience reward you handsomely This is not a game for the impatient or those looking for short term fulfillment. Beginning may be a grind, but as each day passes more creatures and events will arise. Not every developer has
    Amazing game play. Beautiful art style and soundtrack.

Not every developer has cash to make an amazing game. Please don't compare this gem to huge blockbusters.
  44. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was an amazing experience for me, the only boring part is collecting twigs, grass, and wood. The next step gets me excited, for every 10 or so days you will get attacked and there are dangers that lurk with every place you go to. Also with the new underground area with giant rabbits, trying to kill you for revenge from their lost brothers (the regular rabbits you killed) and the harder bosses like the spider queen and the forest guardian, but i just think this game is one of the best i have ever played. Expand
  45. Jun 11, 2013
    Yet another game like Minecraft and Terraria.
    And I must say its very addicting. Survival part of this one is way ahead of Minecraft and Terria. I would say its achieved trough great balance. No meter what you do, you are always short, and when you think you are safe game throws new challenge at you.
    If you like a feeling of trying to survive in hostile environment with multiple
    Yet another game like Minecraft and Terraria.
    If you like a feeling of trying to survive in hostile environment with multiple strategies definitely try this
  46. Aug 20, 2013
    This game has a lot of motion, but comparatively little action. Most of the game is grinding to collect, convert, research, and collect, mostly for the sake of itself. Though there are apparently some goals in this game, they are largely player imposed. The only game imposed goal (that I have seen) is to not die (starving, losing health), with anything above and beyond that being driven byThis game has a lot of motion, but comparatively little action. Most of the game is grinding to collect, convert, research, and collect, mostly for the sake of itself. Though there are apparently some goals in this game, they are largely player imposed. The only game imposed goal (that I have seen) is to not die (starving, losing health), with anything above and beyond that being driven by the player. The title says it all Don't Starve setting the goal of avoiding a negative condition. Meeting any positive condition is entirely up to the player. Expand
  47. Aug 30, 2013
    Its a survival with a dark mood to it. Its just too repetetive though. Especially the first week or so you kind of have to do the exact same things every time you play and it just makes it tedious. I think of you are really into survivals you have to try it though cause it has a lot of cool stuff in it. Good music, mysterious creatures and fauna. It looks original and the lore is creepy!Its a survival with a dark mood to it. Its just too repetetive though. Especially the first week or so you kind of have to do the exact same things every time you play and it just makes it tedious. I think of you are really into survivals you have to try it though cause it has a lot of cool stuff in it. Good music, mysterious creatures and fauna. It looks original and the lore is creepy! It could have been great i suspect but the long start-up that looks the same everytime is moving me away from this game. Expand
  48. Nov 19, 2013
    After a pile of hours in this game, I can honestly say it's one for me. Those that complain about things "two-shotting" them haven't made it to the point where they can respawn yet. Yes, it's a bit of a grind at first when you're just learning. Though if you continue on and start figuring out the world around you it becomes far easier. So if you're looking for a game that doesn't hold yourAfter a pile of hours in this game, I can honestly say it's one for me. Those that complain about things "two-shotting" them haven't made it to the point where they can respawn yet. Yes, it's a bit of a grind at first when you're just learning. Though if you continue on and start figuring out the world around you it becomes far easier. So if you're looking for a game that doesn't hold your hand and tell you exactly what you need to do, this is it. As the world around is trying to eat you while you attempt not to starve or go insane. ^_^ Expand
  49. Apr 26, 2013
    Pros: +Art style is very reminiscent of something tim burton would do.
    +Fantastic character designs.
    +It's a very quirky and funny game overall. +Randomly generated worlds make every adventure feel different (to an extent). +Combat can be quite fun with a nice variety of ways to defeat enemies +You can farm, trap animals, fight, do magic, and fight against going insane among other
    Pros: +Art style is very reminiscent of something tim burton would do.
    +Fantastic character designs.
    +It's a very quirky and funny game overall.
    +Randomly generated worlds make every adventure feel different (to an extent).
    +Combat can be quite fun with a nice variety of ways to defeat enemies
    +You can farm, trap animals, fight, do magic, and fight against going insane among other things.

Cons: -Not very noob-friendly in the beginning (if you're having trouble surviving then check out the forums on steam or klei's website).
    -The crafting system should be even deeper in my opinion.
  50. May 15, 2013
    A fun game, with nice artstyle and gameplay mechanics. Aspects of survival adds depth to the adventure nature of the game itself and you can spend tons of hours playing this game, surviving for many days. But I still would want to play it in co-op with my friend.
  51. Jun 23, 2013
    An enjoyably hard wilderness survival adventure featuring everyone's favorite excuse for not creating a save system, permadeath! Don't Starve is a great "night cap" game; something you can play for a few in-game days, gathering mats, exploring for monster camps, or just trying to not starve. It's pretty relaxing (at least until winter) just gathering mats, unlocking new recipes andAn enjoyably hard wilderness survival adventure featuring everyone's favorite excuse for not creating a save system, permadeath! Don't Starve is a great "night cap" game; something you can play for a few in-game days, gathering mats, exploring for monster camps, or just trying to not starve. It's pretty relaxing (at least until winter) just gathering mats, unlocking new recipes and creating new tools to help you explore. With seven characters, each with their own personality and advantages, there is tons of replay value with every enormous randomly generated map (or one customized by you) providing new challenges. The most frustrating element isn't the randomization for once; I feel that the permadeath is unnecessary and Don't Starve would benefit more from a checkpoint system.

Overall this is worth the asking price if you enjoyed Minecraft or Terraria and are looking for a deeper, more difficult single player experience in the survival genre.
  52. Jun 1, 2013
    The only reason this game is so popular is because it's been on the steam homepage for months. Really, months. Even longer than Bioshock Infinite. Why? I have no idea maybe the developer knows someone in Valve. In any case, it's half-decent as far as indies go, but there are much, much better (including Mark of the Ninja and Shank 2, both by the same developer as this). I would waitThe only reason this game is so popular is because it's been on the steam homepage for months. Really, months. Even longer than Bioshock Infinite. Why? I have no idea maybe the developer knows someone in Valve. In any case, it's half-decent as far as indies go, but there are much, much better (including Mark of the Ninja and Shank 2, both by the same developer as this). I would wait for this to be in a bundle before getting it, it's a pretty slow clickfest. Fun for the first time you play it, but it takes a ridiculously long time to get to the mid-game, which severely limits its replay value. Expand
  53. Jul 14, 2013
    Don't Starve seems the interesting game. The player is to survive as long as possible in a randomly generated location. Must include build a shelter, get food, build and sustain a fire, build tools, make clothes etc... Still performing the same steps the game becomes boring and the game does not have a deeper storyline and quests
  54. May 4, 2013
    Would wait for a few updates after it gets repetitive and gets a little depleted of resources. But its great with the aspects, gameplay and graphics!
  55. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is great game with well thought out game mechanics. I played it for about a week constantly. The only issue is that after playing it for a bit and determining a certain strategy it falls into more of a routine than a game. The game is novel and fun, but its not too long lasting. Beefalo are game breakers. Expand
  56. May 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of my favorites. Ever since i first played as wilson and died of lightning, i have been addicted. This game provides an excellent survivalist envirorment, giving you more to explore every update. From Wilson To Maxwell, Each character give unique challenges all around. Expand
  57. May 28, 2013
    I wanted to like Don't Starve. It's a unique and intriguing game with a charming Tim Burtonesque paper art style.

Unfortunately, the game lacks any sort of significant hook to keep players coming back. After only a few games of Don't Starve I found myself extremely bored with the title as the game lacks addictive qualities. You spend your time in the game picking up resources which

You spend your time in the game picking up resources which are then crafted into tools for survival. This crafting system *could* have been the addictive hook for the game if recipes were kept a mystery ala Minecraft, but you can see all of the components needed for each craftable.

Each game is spent collecting resources and crafting with no other gameplay elements to speak of. It quickly becomes monotonous and tedious.

Don't Starve is missing that one last element to make it a fun and engaging game. Multiplayer capabilities, recipe discoveries, end game goals, terrain sculpting, any of these might give it that extra bit of flavor and make the endeavor seem less pointless.

As it stands the game is just too bland and narrow in scope.
  58. AWG
    Jun 8, 2013
    Way too repetitive and random for my tastes. You basically keep doing the same thing over and over and over and if you're lucky you get to find useful thing (to build tools that help you to do that same thing again) and if you're not you die (and then you have to start it all from the very beginning). This game was fun for just a couple of hours, then it became a dead-end job.
  59. Jun 22, 2013
    I have to say that this is a mildly good game, with the exception of somewhat repeating certain thing,
    this isn't like other survival games, because you have to focus on not starving, but it IS only in beta, so it certainly has potential to become a very good game.
  60. Jun 30, 2013
    How the hell is this anything like Minecraft or Terraria?
    It seems that any game that features survival is a Minecraft clone nowadays, this is a entirely different game from Minecraft or Terraria and focuses more on survival than building or mining as you have to gather food so that you don't starve and light a fire before night comes or you die instantly.
    While mining and building are
    How the hell is this anything like Minecraft or Terraria?

While mining and building are in the game they're not all that useful as you'll spend most of your time searching for resources to help you survive rather than creating walls as they can be a waste of resources that you needed to make into a trap or something.

Don't Starve features great artwork and music that add to the atmosphere of the game.
  61. Jul 14, 2013
    Don't Starve incorporates a very interesting gameplay and art design. Hand drawn graphics and art are appreciative and unique. The survival style goal means the main goal of the game. And the music are exceptionally nice. However the extremely repetitive gameplay may meet some people to a boring, expensive game. Your first run may occupy you for hours with excellent survival thoughts andDon't Starve incorporates a very interesting gameplay and art design. Hand drawn graphics and art are appreciative and unique. The survival style goal means the main goal of the game. And the music are exceptionally nice. However the extremely repetitive gameplay may meet some people to a boring, expensive game. Your first run may occupy you for hours with excellent survival thoughts and worrying time decisions. But somehow Don't Starve just doesn't do the deal. It may be another inspiration from Minecraft. But it just doesn't give the same freedom or feel, nor does its title. Don't Starve incorporates unique art and music but lacks gameplay. Expand
  62. May 10, 2013
    You're dropped off in the middle of some parallel universe, with nothing. Your immediate goal is to collect the materials necessary to build and maintain a fire before the end of dusk, or else unspeakable horrors will devour you whole in the black of night. In order to survive, you'll have to mine, hunt, kill, forage, farm, stockpile, build, and prepare for Winter. If you fail to performYou're dropped off in the middle of some parallel universe, with nothing. Your immediate goal is to collect the materials necessary to build and maintain a fire before the end of dusk, or else unspeakable horrors will devour you whole in the black of night. In order to survive, you'll have to mine, hunt, kill, forage, farm, stockpile, build, and prepare for Winter. If you fail to perform sanity restoring actions like sleeping and picking flowers, you will slowly drift into insanity, where your own demons await. And, one, last, very important thing: DON'T STARVE!

This game is awesome ^_^ Sandbox, strategy, rpg, with monsters and magic. It is a game of exploration, and survival. If you turn it into a game of grind, then I think you're doing it wrong. Of course stockpiling for Winter is a big part of the game, but you must move around the world (and far away from whatever home you create for yourself) in order to progress.
  63. Koo
    Jul 21, 2013
    Don't Starve is great fun in small doses. It has a certain charm about it I really like, and the gameplay is enjoyable too. For a game with no walk throughs or tips built-in, it is surprisingly easy to pick-up. Mouse cursor activated tooltips give you most of the information you need (e.g. what you need to build things) and beyond that, the game is about experimentation. And it is funDon't Starve is great fun in small doses. It has a certain charm about it I really like, and the gameplay is enjoyable too. For a game with no walk throughs or tips built-in, it is surprisingly easy to pick-up. Mouse cursor activated tooltips give you most of the information you need (e.g. what you need to build things) and beyond that, the game is about experimentation. And it is fun to explore. Don't Starve is one of those games where you will die several times before you make progress, but that's part of the fun in my opinion. Provided you are willing to learn from your mistakes, this is a very enjoyable game. The game's soundtrack is fantastic as well. 9/10 Expand
  64. Jun 26, 2013
    The gameplay aspect is pretty much right where I want it. Deep, challenging, and replayable. A few too many "screw you" things that can happen (those tree monsters that follow you until you're dead for no reason) but overall, the gameplay is solid. But the art style is just disgusting to me. It's a game in love with tim burton to a fault. If this game had a decent art style I'd be playingThe gameplay aspect is pretty much right where I want it. Deep, challenging, and replayable. A few too many "screw you" things that can happen (those tree monsters that follow you until you're dead for no reason) but overall, the gameplay is solid. But the art style is just disgusting to me. It's a game in love with tim burton to a fault. If this game had a decent art style I'd be playing it right now, but something about the scribble-doodle art style just doesn't lend itself well towards a game that you're supposed to play again and again. An adventure game? sure. But the gameplay just can't make up for the fact that I feel like I'm playing a papercraft game with art consisting of 15 bucks thrown at deviantart commissions from tim burton fans. Expand
  65. May 8, 2013
    I have a Steam account with a massive backlog of games, some even AAA budget titles but they'll have to get in line behind this little indy title. The perma death seemed a little harsh at first but if you can past that, there's a gem of a game here.
  66. May 21, 2013
    This is definitely one of my favorite games in the past couple years. Survival elements seem too harsh at first, but seems easy once you've started figuring things out. (if you're having trouble, look up recipes for the crock pot). Insofar as that, I'd say the game is immersively complex without being complex to the point where you give up.

The game is full of variety, and the massive

The game is full of variety, and the massive dev updates (instead of spitting out garbage DLC) makes you want to buy the game multiple times just because you know you short-changed the dev by only paying what was asked. The art style is excellent, though the fake 3D engine has obvious drawbacks. Enemy variety and drops are particularly excellent. Even though common enemies drop the same items almost every time, those enemies' drops are needed for progression in crafting and survival in general.

Every single mechanic flows exceptionally well together, unlike anything I've before seen in a game. There's never a time when I said "why's this mechanic or item even in the game?" (well, okay except the pumpkin jack-o-lantern that was relatively useless?) I played this game with my wife at the same time, and we both loved it. We swapped stories about what does what, and how to interact with in-game objects in a new way.

This game should be an example for game developers in maintaining a sense of wonder by not revealing everything to the player right away. It's very similar to Binding of Isaac in this way or Nethack, along with many other roguelikes. There's just a TON of content, without any of it being forced on you, so unlike the many linear games AAA releases bring.

As others say, the game does eventually get "old" once there are fewer new things coming up on you. The dev updates are wonderful, but if you've already explored the vast majority of the game, adding 2-5% more content isn't really enough. It's the same with mods and the modding community. Modding is "semi-supported" (maybe more like "barely tolerated"), and there are some good ones which enhance gameplay, but there are no decent overhauls, which is unfortunate. I look forward to playing the game again in a year or so, knowing there will definitely be enough content for me to jump back in and enjoy myself.
  67. May 8, 2013
    Greatest game of the year. No other game has managed to capture the essence of survival quite like this one. Klei Entertainment is without a doubt a company of geniuses.
  68. Apr 25, 2013
    My first survival adventure game and I love it. Some people say it gets boring and repetitive after a while but I've already played 15 hours for 13$ and I had a blast. Now even if I never played it again I still think that 80c an hour is pretty good value And with the promised updates I am pretty sure I will try it at least for a few more hours with every update and as far as I know thereMy first survival adventure game and I love it. Some people say it gets boring and repetitive after a while but I've already played 15 hours for 13$ and I had a blast. Now even if I never played it again I still think that 80c an hour is pretty good value And with the promised updates I am pretty sure I will try it at least for a few more hours with every update and as far as I know there are like 6 of them coming.But frankly I see myself playing it at least a couple more times in the next few days since I only got to day 28... 7 days into a surprise winter. I tought winter will come like at day 150 or something Expand
  69. Jun 3, 2013
    Don't Starve is a really fun, challenging and sometimes frustrating survival game. It has some really simple, but stylish graphics (reminds me of some kind of Tim Burton drawings), The day/ night cycle and lighting effects are also right. The animation of the characters are very fluid. The camera is from a top down view with a slight perspective, it can be rotated by 45 degrees, but theDon't Starve is a really fun, challenging and sometimes frustrating survival game. It has some really simple, but stylish graphics (reminds me of some kind of Tim Burton drawings), The day/ night cycle and lighting effects are also right. The animation of the characters are very fluid. The camera is from a top down view with a slight perspective, it can be rotated by 45 degrees, but the objects and characters are both stylish 2D sprites. In overall, it looks good and artistic!

The gameplay is extremely challenging and fun at the same time, however, sometimes it can be boring, so you should have some breaks sometimes. In the game itself, you start in nowhere with your selected character. Each characters have different perks (more health, bigger stomach, longer beard(!), and other special abilities), but you can start only with one. You need to progress in the game to unlock other characters.You need to collect things, combine them into tools, food, equipment, and also you need to fight against monsters and animals and against your own sanity! Character can become insane and he/she will hallucinate and the mental attacks can become physical attacks, it can kill you.

Sound effects are cool, the music is also good too. I'm not good at describing sounds, so I don't go in-depth.

Replayablity is great. The world is random generated, and can give the player new challenge all the time. Also, there is an adventure mode, which is accessible through a portal from the normal game mode. Also, the game is frequently updated, so the developers fixes bugs and puts new contents in it. The latest update has caves too, which is a really cool feature. It simply deserves a 9 of 10. It's fresh, interesting, and challenging, but not recommended for casual gamers. Of you like challenging survival games, this is for you!
  70. May 6, 2013
    My initial reaction to this game is pretty good. At a first glance it reminded me of Diablo (II) with the top down adventure and a splash of gloominess. Then you get that minecraft feel from exploring around and trying to figure out what makes what, and what is useful. When you first start playing it may seem pretty plain Jane but there is a robust gameplay that hides beneath the surface.My initial reaction to this game is pretty good. At a first glance it reminded me of Diablo (II) with the top down adventure and a splash of gloominess. Then you get that minecraft feel from exploring around and trying to figure out what makes what, and what is useful. When you first start playing it may seem pretty plain Jane but there is a robust gameplay that hides beneath the surface. I highly recommend studying the wiki for a bit to get you going at a faster pace! So far, I can’t stop playing it! As long as the flow of content updates keeps coming I think this game has great potential. For those of you who liked Terarria, Minecraft, Diablo, and a dark sense of humor, BUY THIS! Expand
  71. May 3, 2013
    An example of a perfect Survival game. The music, art and characters are excellent too. I really hope this game gets the "Best Indie Game" in the VGA's
  72. Jun 25, 2013
    I think this game is $12 now. Based on my rule of at least 1hr per dollar, you will get your moneys worth. There is quite a bit of content and playability.

The game really revolves around collecting basic ingredients and crafting them into survival gear/items. You are going to want to collect food RIGHT away, you will get hungry fast. You are going to want to cook this food with fire. You are also going to want to build tools like axes, pickaxes, etc and harvest quite a bit of raw materials. Then you are going to want to build science machines in order to build better tools/survival gear/weapons.

Combat is fairly basic, click and run is the general tactic. I really think this is a wiki friendly game despite spoilers. You should learn about what items you want and how to craft them by searching a wiki.

This is really a fun game that I've been playing since January. The Devs have released a ton of content and fixes since then and continue to update once a month or so. I'm only marking it down 2 pts for its grindy nature after a while. Really its worth a look and WAY better than most major label games, especially for $12
  73. May 8, 2013
    This game is really enjoyable, it is fun to play, there are tons of feature and regular updates that add to the fun. The only problem is the difficulty: your first few games are going to be very, very short. This game can be played again and again once you are a bit experienced, so even if you die at your first night... try again!
    There are many ways to survive, and to play. Yes,
    There are many ways to survive, and to play. Yes, sometimes it will be a bit repetitive, but it really worth it.
    (By the way, I'm french, sorry for my bad english)
  74. May 5, 2013
    With every update the game gets more fun. The klein is surprising me every update.
    I do not get tired of dying and start again. He is super fun and addicting.

SCORE 1000
  75. May 28, 2013
    This game is a survival game and has Adventure mod witch gives you 1 or 2 characters,It's avarage game for me,the world is limited,the invetory is limited,you finish it by completing the adventure mod.
    You have 4 important game keys to watch out
    You have 4 important game keys to watch out
    1.Sanity The most important you must see forever beacuse sometimes you dont know if a petal is poisonous or a mushroom.When you have sanity 5 to 25,monster spawn surround you even if it day or night,they kill you
    2.Time this is the second important thing to see on your screen if you dont build any campfire or any pit fire you will get killed by monster or natural monsters(spiders...)
    3.food bar i think you know it
    4.Health this is the third important thing.
    The game art style is great,the background music is great,the AI is not too bad but not too good,the game itself is great.
    i hope this enough,9/10 MUST TRY
  76. May 6, 2013
    How this got 76, I don't know. It's tons of fun. Sure, it is a little repetitive, but the same can be said for pretty much every game in this fashion out today.
  77. May 12, 2013
    First Indie game Ever not bored me when I play again and f*cking New game again, Huge World with Strange Species and You have to survive in it, how awesome!!. AMAZING GAME!!!
  78. May 4, 2013
    One of the best indie games i have ever played so far. I don't care if you say this game is a copycat of Minecraft. To me i think this game is way better than Minecraft
  79. Apr 24, 2013
    Very fun game, great music. Great game over all, but the game gets pretty repetitive after a while. Its very fun for about 10 to 15 hours, after that, that's about it. This game is very fun though i recommend it.
  80. Apr 24, 2013
    The game is amazing overall the combat is great, the scavenging for items is great, and the hardcore survival right as you think it's getting easy, winter arrives and you are struggling for survival, is also very fun. I think the game deserves every bit of credit for it's great gameplay and awesome survival aspect. The price of the game on steam is phenomenal for just $13.49 at the momentThe game is amazing overall the combat is great, the scavenging for items is great, and the hardcore survival right as you think it's getting easy, winter arrives and you are struggling for survival, is also very fun. I think the game deserves every bit of credit for it's great gameplay and awesome survival aspect. The price of the game on steam is phenomenal for just $13.49 at the moment because of the 10% off. The one and only thing I have a problem with in this game is......... NOTHING. I can't think of anything that would make me not want to play this game. Expand
  81. Apr 25, 2013
    Wilderness survival with highly stylized aesthetics. You can find inspiration from other survival type games, but this one is unique and full of innovation. It has a dark and challenging tone throughout the game and it will keep you on the edge of your seat. If you play this game, remember nothing is certain, you never know when your next breath is your last.
  82. May 2, 2013
    A darker game in the style of Minecraft and Terraria. The art of the game is highly stylized and reminiscent of such things as 'The Nightmare before Christmas.", moody and macabre but also quite pleasing and evocative, adding to the atmosphere of the game.

So far I have actually not a problem with the games main theme, i.e., I've never starved, but I certainly have been done in many other ways. Not an easy game, at least at first, but patience and persistence will be rewarded with a deep and enjoyable experience.
  83. Apr 28, 2013
    If your a fan of survivalist games, this should be in your steam library. It offers what you can expect from a survival game and makes you really think about your characters survival. You start by getting plunged into a new different world with no idea what's going on. Collecting resources, food and anything else needed for your survival. Every time you start a new world you learn a newIf your a fan of survivalist games, this should be in your steam library. It offers what you can expect from a survival game and makes you really think about your characters survival. You start by getting plunged into a new different world with no idea what's going on. Collecting resources, food and anything else needed for your survival. Every time you start a new world you learn a new thing about the game and a new way of fighting for survival.
    The art style of this game only makes it better, the cartoon look to the plants, monsters and the rest of the world only makes me love this game more.

A great game and a must buy!
  84. Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't starve gives no tutorial, it punishes every mistake and hardly rewards you when you do good.
    In other words, it is a rouge like. A survival-adventure rouge like.
    No, a BRILLIANT survival-adventure rouge like with a spiffing art style and sounds.
    Everything can kill you, nothing is easy and the world keeps throwing horrifying monsters and other dangers at you; Yet it never feels unfair, you can kill the monsters, you can get out of the traps, you can survive.
    And that's not all, there are five other characters to unlock who all have their own set of powers, stats and personality's.
    And I must say, the characters are so well made that they feel like real people.
    But that's just survival mode.
    There's a door hidden somewhere in the world, a doorway to adventure.
    What lies beyond is a set of five extremely difficult levels that does everything in its power to stop you from reaching the next level.
    It may sound hard, impossible, even, but it's the only way to get to unlock the last two characters and to find Maxwell and find out the secret of the world you are stuck in...

And as the game is still receiving regular content patches everything above will improve in every way.

TL;DR: Don't starve is hard but fair with tons of content and I highly recommend it to all fans of the survival genre.
  85. Apr 30, 2013
    I think this game is amazing. It is very fun, and I almost never get tired of it. It's true it can get repetitive but only in the middle because now with the new winter stuff something new happens about every 20 days. Also with games like these its hard to give a review because it may not look as good as the big title games, but it has way more re playability, and its cheaper. I wouldI think this game is amazing. It is very fun, and I almost never get tired of it. It's true it can get repetitive but only in the middle because now with the new winter stuff something new happens about every 20 days. Also with games like these its hard to give a review because it may not look as good as the big title games, but it has way more re playability, and its cheaper. I would give it an 8.5 if I could because its can get a little boring but over all its really fun. Expand
  86. Apr 30, 2013
    Excellent Game Also Enjoyed Getting Team Fortress items, This Was a very simple game but put into a aspect that i never really Sean before. The Survival Actions will hook you in into a new world full Of Monsters, And Survival, This Is a very good game,
  87. Ndi
    May 3, 2013
    A compact game, very addictive, very few bugs, quite nice time waster, quick to load and play and no major annoyances.

A well deserved 9. I'd say 10, but it's a bit expensive for such a game that could have been a free flash game with little difference. As it will drop in price, most likely, soon (this review is about a week after release), I warmly recommend it.
  88. May 5, 2013
    This game might seem silly first, but it's far from it anyone who loved Minecraft will definitely love this

The game's art is refreshing and it's dark humor is even better. Game utilizes crafting system that's extremely basic compared to Minecraft but it seems to be best that way. You need to build "Science machines" to research for magic, armors weapons etc. When it's night

The game's art is refreshing and it's dark humor is even better.

You need to build "Science machines" to research for magic, armors weapons etc.

When it's night time you need to build a fire and stay near it otherwise a giant invisible monster gets you,

Overall, this game is a refreshing change it knows how to keep you entertained through the game with the weather changes AND with the sanity/food bar system.
  89. May 6, 2013
    Great game. It takes the survival aspect and just makes it full on crazy. There's great monsters to kill and a whole lot of machines along the way to help you, most importantly DON'T STARVE.
  90. May 7, 2013
    Been playing this game for quite some time. Absolutely brilliant. It never gets old, and it's constantly being updated.

-Majeye of Majeye Gaming
  91. May 9, 2013
    Absolutely LOVE IT!

It is a great game, but it gets a bit repetitive.
    It is my new favourite.
    I recommend to buy the game, the new features are awesome!
  92. May 10, 2013
    I've been paying attention to this game for a long time, and was always on the fence about buying it or not. I finally decided to buy it after much debating with myself and i'm very happy to announce that it was a brilliant purchase! The game is a very interesting and challenging game with really unique graphics amongst other things that really make it stand out. My favourite part aboutI've been paying attention to this game for a long time, and was always on the fence about buying it or not. I finally decided to buy it after much debating with myself and i'm very happy to announce that it was a brilliant purchase! The game is a very interesting and challenging game with really unique graphics amongst other things that really make it stand out. My favourite part about this title is the lack of instructions (what can I say, dying over and over really gets me addicted to a game) and am enjoying figuring out different things about the game. It has yet to feel repetitive during the time I have been playing as every game/round/life (however you consider it) I have tried something different, something that will hopefully let me last just that little while longer and I can honestly recommend this game to anyone who really is looking for a survival game, and to a degree a horror as well. Playing this game can go from relaxing to stressful in one simple event and I love the fact that a game can keep me on my toes like this. Overall, if you want a fun, unique and interesting survival horror (horror can be subjective to the person playing, I personally find it to be gripping at times) I highly recommend you pick up this game! Expand
  93. May 11, 2013
    Don't Starve is easy to pick up and start, and is continually becoming more and more complex as features are added. You have to stay on your toes to survive and a simple mistake can be the end of it. Currently have played it for 20 hours, but I'll sure be playing more!
  94. May 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has some very interesting concepts. I played it for a while, but I have a hard time sitting down, playing it for a while. I still like the wilderness survival genre. Expand
  95. May 15, 2013
    This is absolutely not a game that will hold your hand. There is no tutorial period and when you die, you start over. It's old school like that, almost as if it's a remastered game from the golden age of Nintendo. The difficulty in progressing through your first in game year of play will frustrate and turn a lot of people off, but the satisfaction in independently solving the myriadThis is absolutely not a game that will hold your hand. There is no tutorial period and when you die, you start over. It's old school like that, almost as if it's a remastered game from the golden age of Nintendo. The difficulty in progressing through your first in game year of play will frustrate and turn a lot of people off, but the satisfaction in independently solving the myriad challenges relentlessly thrust upon your character in this hostile world is exhilarating.

Yeah, you should try not to starve. But honestly, the ever present threat of starvation is hardly the greatest obstacle to your character's survival. Maintaining sanity amidst violent monsters both real and imagined, protecting yourself from the harsh climate, even escaping the lethal darkness of night provide more than enough of a challenge for those willing to put in the work it takes to discover this surprisingly large world.

I've had an absolute blast with this game, expecting to play only around 15 hours. I've now logged 70+. A survival management simulation at it's core, this game really can't be much better for it's price. So don't starve, but really, watch out for those Hell Hounds.
  96. May 18, 2013
    This game has a very nice art style,a little bit of cartoonish but it's fine to me.The enemies in this game are just perfect and really scary.The first time i saw a spider i got goosebumps all over my body.I like the characthers,especially Wilson.I love that after every 4th day(i think)his beard grows up for a bit.The maker of this game made a pretty good work.The only thing that annoys meThis game has a very nice art style,a little bit of cartoonish but it's fine to me.The enemies in this game are just perfect and really scary.The first time i saw a spider i got goosebumps all over my body.I like the characthers,especially Wilson.I love that after every 4th day(i think)his beard grows up for a bit.The maker of this game made a pretty good work.The only thing that annoys me is the camera angle.I hate that when i chop trees there is a wood on the other side,and i just have to click q or r to turn the camera.But overall great experience! 9/10 Expand
  97. May 20, 2013
    Don't Starve is a survival game etched in challenge. I rather enjoy challenging games, as that is what drew me to this game. If you hate repetitive games (like all games), then don't get it. This is a game not about finding a way to escape your situation, but to instead survive long enough that you can find a way out. Odds are, you will not accomplish this task on your first go. PossiblyDon't Starve is a survival game etched in challenge. I rather enjoy challenging games, as that is what drew me to this game. If you hate repetitive games (like all games), then don't get it. This is a game not about finding a way to escape your situation, but to instead survive long enough that you can find a way out. Odds are, you will not accomplish this task on your first go. Possibly not even after you have played for several days. The game sets it's rules: 1) Don't take what is not yours; 2) Many things are docile until you attack; and 3) Don't starve.
    The game follows these rules to the end: there is no way around it.
  98. May 22, 2013
    Don't Starve is a 2D/3D game where the objective is to survive. Although the game is called Don’t Starve, that is the least of your worries in this game. This game has permanent death implemented which I do like, but it can be really annoying to say you have put a lot of hours into a world and it all goes away with in a blink of an eye. However you can prevent this by either playing itDon't Starve is a 2D/3D game where the objective is to survive. Although the game is called Don’t Starve, that is the least of your worries in this game. This game has permanent death implemented which I do like, but it can be really annoying to say you have put a lot of hours into a world and it all goes away with in a blink of an eye. However you can prevent this by either playing it safe or getting enough materials to bring you back to life, but you can only use this once.
    The art style is fantastic with an old fashioned style so to speak, with everything being outlined with black and have that depressing but nice to look at style.
    This game is getting updated around every 30 days, and has had caves recently added, and this is really buggy at the moment. It closed down my entire Don't Starve game every time I tried to load it, due to the fact that I was in a cave which really did annoy me. They should not release content that is in alpha stage (content that isn’t complete). So, would I recommend it? Yes I definitely would it’s fantastic, simple and fun to play and kill some time.
  99. May 22, 2013
    I keep being drawn back to this game. I recommend playing it in 2-3 hour chunks and don't look up any wiki. It is fun to explore and discover new ways to interact with this fun but deadly world. I cant get everything done before the next free bit of content comes along so i am sure there will be many more hours of fun in this game for me. It's worth every penny of the £11 i paid for it andI keep being drawn back to this game. I recommend playing it in 2-3 hour chunks and don't look up any wiki. It is fun to explore and discover new ways to interact with this fun but deadly world. I cant get everything done before the next free bit of content comes along so i am sure there will be many more hours of fun in this game for me. It's worth every penny of the £11 i paid for it and a great experience for one of my first indie games, which has intrigued me to try more. Collapse
  100. Jun 15, 2013
    So as you can tell by the 10 given I absolutely love this game I have owned this game since December 1st when it was still in development and have well I would say wasted but I don't feel like I wasted time on this game since it is so much fun. The art is great controls are smooth its not glitchy and as long as you keep adventuring it doesn't get boring. The developers are very good too.So as you can tell by the 10 given I absolutely love this game I have owned this game since December 1st when it was still in development and have well I would say wasted but I don't feel like I wasted time on this game since it is so much fun. The art is great controls are smooth its not glitchy and as long as you keep adventuring it doesn't get boring. The developers are very good too. The fact that they tell you how many days until the next update just brings joy to me. SO yes I would recommend this game. Expand
  101. May 22, 2013

1. Jul 19, 2013
    Don’t Starve is a game for those who persevere. The infinitely playable survival RPG with an artsy appearance tests your endurance, but rewards players with a surprisingly unique experience.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    It's a game that just keeps giving, even as it tears your life from you. [Issue#136, p.110]
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    A refreshingly upfront experience, right down to the title. A game that shoves players into a complex, harsh world with little explanation, it can be tough to parse at first. But little by little, Don't Starve reveals itself via deep mechanics and an ever-evolving world. It started strong and got better.