5.0

1. Oct 21, 2012
    While I understand that a lot of people are angry that this game is essentially the same game that was released in 2004 (and without major changes), I highly question whether or not most of these user reviews are from true customers or just a bunch of butthurt communists angry that ID Software is making money on Doom 3 again. With that said, I would be reluctant to recommend this version to someone who already owns all the Doom games. However, for someone who doesn't own Doom 3 and/or the early Doom games, Doom 3 BFG is an excellent choice. I guess whether or not one can give this game a good review depends entirely on whether or not they liked Doom 3 - which the Doom community is split down the middle on. I loved Doom 3 - and I love this game. The extra content and improved lighting make Doom 3 BFG a great deal. About the only thing that keeps me from giving this game a perfect 10 is the fact that it currently lacks mod support - so all of the great Doom 3 mods cannot be enjoyed with this version - yet. That is apt to change soon, however, it's still somewhat of a bummer that these mods can't be used immediately. I am still awarding it a perfect 10, however, just to counter the butthurt communists. Expand
  2. Oct 18, 2012
    Grimdandelo a obvious troll. Going to each and every system release and rating it 0? get out fo here. I picked it up for PC and 360... its a great bundle on PC if youve never played the original games, and its well polished. But it really shines on the console, especially for those of us who played the Xbox original Doom 3 that was watered down from its PC counterpart.... this one really should make you smile and see what you missed if your into modding, then i'd say stick with the original releases on PC. If not, then this release is for you, and is one nicely polished bundle collection

If your on console, definetely don't miss this release... go buy it.

Also, the 3D effects are great... some of the best I've seen in a game that supports 3D. A definete must buy!
  3. Oct 16, 2012
    Doom 3 was the best in the series and it compares to the SIKK graphics mod on the pc pretty well. One of the scariest games ever made has returned in preperation for Doom 4! Anyone who hasn't played doom 3 should pick this up, because even though it's 8 years old (and some) and the graphics are dated, they still look good for something so old. Not sure why everyone complains about that.
  4. Oct 22, 2012
    A piece of FPS history. I am so glad I can now play this in full widescreen HD goodness. People tend to forget how innovative this game was when it came out in 2004, a full console generation before the currently aging one. An advice from the past: play it on the hardest possible mode - don't even bother with medium difficulty settings. This is caviar, not chopped pork.
  5. Oct 18, 2012
    Doom 3: BFG Edition is possibly one of the best releases from id Software in a while. I don't quite like to think of it as just a re-release of Doom 3, but rather a collection of some of the finest games from id. Think about it, a large portion of this current generation of gamers never got to experience the awe of Doom, but now, they can! BFG Edition includes the original Doom, Doom II, and a remastered version of Doom 3.

First things first, the classic Doom games that the PC version comes with are running under a proprietary source port from id; multiplayer and mods are not accessible, visuals are a little blurry, and the framerate is capped at 35 FPS. If you really don't care for any of the awesome mods and fan-made levels, or classic Doom multiplayer, this version of Doom will be fine. It is very playable. However, I would highly recommend getting a source port such as ZDoom to run the games better. The WAD files for the Doom and Doom II can be found in the 'wads' folder in the Doom 3: BFG Edition steam folder. One thing I think is pretty cool is that id included the new Doom II episode, No Rest For the Living (which was originally only available in the XBLA version of Doom II), in BFG Edition. It can be played on other source ports if you load it as a PWAD for Doom II (the name of it is called NERVE.wad).

Now for Doom 3. The visuals have definitely been updated, and the game looks better, but still not up to current games standards. Now, I really wasn't expecting current gen graphics, but I was still a little let down. Overall, it still looks dated, but I personally rate a game more based on gameplay than graphics. The main differences between the original Doom 3 and the BFG Edition is that you now have a chest-mounted flashlight that allows you to see in dark areas without you having to switch to your flashlight. This allows for more action-oriented, faster and smoother overall gameplay. Ammo, shielding, and health is also more plentiful. id wants to focus less on surviving, and more on shooting tons of demon spawn. I personally like this; it makes Doom 3 more like the original games. These updates are subtle, but very welcome. The multiplayer has not changed much, except now you can have 8 people playing in a game rather than just 4. I joined a game of Team Deathmatch, and swiftly got my butt kicked. People seem to be enjoying themselves. BFG also includes the Doom 3 expansion pack, Resurrection of Evil, and an all new expansion titled The Lost Missions. These new levels are very enjoyable, and add a lot to the Doom 3 experience.

Some things I do not particularly like about the BFG Edtion of Doom 3 is that all previous mods for the original Doom 3 do not work for BFG. There were some pretty great mods available. Another thing I don't like is that there is no co-op mode. The original Doom 3 didn't have co-op either (except for the Xbox version), but there was a mod that allowed it. Now, with no mods, there is no co-op. Despite these shortcomings, Doom 3: BFG Edition is still a solid package. If you have never played Doom, or do not own the games, you really should get this collection. Doom is one of the most influential games of all time, and practically spawned the first-person-shooter genre. All three of the games are awesome. If you already have Doom 3, this might not be an absolute MUST BUY. Still, its only 30 dollars, and the new stuff is pretty enjoyable. Is it worth 30 bucks? You decide.
  6. Oct 23, 2012
    This is a release marketed to those who are new to the Doom Franchise, and it offers more content than most games out there at a discounted price of $40. Doom 1 and 2 are here, but the main attraction is Doom 3 and its original expansion plus the new missions id made just for this release. Graphics have been enhanced to look great on our HD tvs, and they have given it 3D support (which works better than most games out there). Get this game, enjoy it, and hopefully soon we will be playing Doom 4! Expand
  7. Oct 31, 2012
    Fixed all the problems identified in the previous version of Doom 3, cleaned up the lines, increased some of the lighting, and allows us to focus on the most enjoyable aspects of the game, murder, death, and killing. In addition to this, they made the originals available, a classic touch. My top pick for first-person shooters. Halo can't touch Doom.
  8. Nov 21, 2012
    This is still a must have game for the PC. It is still every bit as scary and fun to play as when it was first released.Most of the reviewers need to look at this release through unjaded eyes.Yes I played all the orginals and yes some of the excellent mods but nothing is like the original. Try playing your old doom 3 on a new computer and see how dated it is. This brings it up to date and playable again. So look at this game not against the new generation of games,which it cannot compare,but as a chance for new players to enjoy what we all enjoyed. This is still a must have in your library of games. Expand
  9. Jun 17, 2014
    The stereoscopic 3D is worth the price alone. Not to mention most OpenGL games have no other way of working in 3D than to have it built-in - as DirectX injection drivers normally won't work at all. Thanks to this edition I can play the title with full blown depth percetpion. I've been taken back to hell, this time in 3D, it's rattled me and I freakin' love it!

Ok I don't love it to a
    10/10 but to offset the harm done by idiots with keyboards who don't know any better and can't tell a good game if it hit them right in the face, I had to overscore a bit here. Expand
  10. Jul 18, 2014
    Truly a valuable collection of games. You get the DOOM trilogy for $20 (or $5 if u wait for a sale) and remastered sound, and good MP. This game is one of the best ever. It also has a lot of trophies.
  11. Dec 21, 2013
    Well let me first start off by saying... people really have been hard on this game for what reason idk. Yes it is a remake of the origonal game, but they have spent time to make it work, im on windows 8.1 got it working with out much problem, had to run it in windows xp sp 3 mode to stop it from randomly crashing, but that's to be expected with windows 8. Dated graphics... yes are they bad no still can scare ya with the lights off and some good headphones in a dark room by your self, the sound is good, honestly if u like doom 3 no reason you wont love this game plus it does come with doom and doom 2! and they work on windows 8 with out compatibility issues, which is amazing! i miss doom and it's a trying to get a game that was made for windows 95 to work on windows 8 let me tell ya :P. Expand
  12. Nov 26, 2012
    I picked up Doom 3: BFG edition, mostly for the extra content they claimed to have added to the game. I already owned and loved Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil, so I already knew it was a game I knew and loved.

I know a lot of people complained about Doom 3's graphics, but I honestly never had an issue with it. By today's standards, the game is dated, but many games are. When compared
    to other games and movies that were given the "HD" treatment, it's almost always the same. You can't take a game that is 7 years old and expect superior graphics without major re-work. With that being said, I don't find Doom 3 BFG to be any more offensive in that department then any other game I've played this year. I find it unbelievable that people are throwing a ♥♥♥♥♥ fit about the graphics when STEAM is still pushing "8bit" garbage in the Indie Department.

People complained about the human models. Who gives a damn? Honestly? Wasn't doom about shooting demons and wading through pools of blood? Not how some of the character models didn't look perfect? Some of you have lost your way.

Another complaint has been the sound. I don't know, I don't notice any difference, or upgrade for that matter. I live in a duplex and use a pair of wireless Afterglow headset for all of my gaming, it sounds great and I have no complaints.

Added Xbox 360 controller support is great.

So then, where's the beef? The 3D. I use a 3D TV that supports multiple modes, which I have connected to my computer. I have no problems viewing 3D images and watching 3D BluRay rips on my computer, never have. You can tell when people don't work very hard on 3D, you can tell RIGHT AWAY, because with 3D you either do it right the first time, or it's shoddy the whole way through.

They didn't work as hard on the 3D as they could have or should have. 3D was one of the major selling points for me and I am really dispointed with this. No matter what adjustments I make, there is always a very slight ghosting on the 3D imaging, which is a huge let down for me.

For people who haven't played Doom 3, this is an all in one package that is fine, there isn't anything WRONG with it. For people looking for a great 3D game experience to freshen up an old great, don't bother, it's not very good.

Doom 3 still works as a linear shooter but its new release is charmless. Try it if you weren't able to play it during its original release or if you are a devoted collector. Otherwise you can skip it easily. [Dec 2012]
  2. Nov 21, 2012
    Doom 3: BFG Edition is a somewhat odd release that actually makes the classic game worse. The lack of graphic options and forced flashlight mode among other things makes this a very lazy and lacking remake that's hard to recommend to anyone.
  3. Nov 9, 2012
    What is the point of this "improved" edition if it looks much worse than the original DOOM 3 with the fan-made Sikkmod installed?