5.0

1. Jul 18, 2014
    Truly a valuable collection of games. You get the DOOM trilogy for $20 (or $5 if u wait for a sale) and remastered sound, and good MP. This game is one of the best ever. It also has a lot of trophies.
  2. Jun 17, 2014
    The stereoscopic 3D is worth the price alone. Not to mention most OpenGL games have no other way of working in 3D than to have it built-in - as DirectX injection drivers normally won't work at all. Thanks to this edition I can play the title with full blown depth percetpion. I've been taken back to hell, this time in 3D, it's rattled me and I freakin' love it!

Ok I don't love it to a

Ok I don't love it to a 10/10 but to offset the harm done by idiots with keyboards who don't know any better and can't tell a good game if it hit them right in the face, I had to overscore a bit here.
  3. Jun 3, 2014
    Doom 3 BFG edition is not strictly a great game, but it at least reaches a level of decency, in my eyes. The game is not merely Doom 3, but also includes the original and Doom 2, which are great games on their own. Doom 3 is not necessarily fantastic, but it's a fun corridor shooter that I recalled playing several years ago on the original Xbox. Wanting to relive the relative nostalgia, IDoom 3 BFG edition is not strictly a great game, but it at least reaches a level of decency, in my eyes. The game is not merely Doom 3, but also includes the original and Doom 2, which are great games on their own. Doom 3 is not necessarily fantastic, but it's a fun corridor shooter that I recalled playing several years ago on the original Xbox. Wanting to relive the relative nostalgia, I bought this to see if it was as good as I remembered it being. I hate to say that it wasn't as great as I remember, but still rather fun and intriguing. The story is a little cliche and predictable, but the setup itself is interesting and, at some times, slightly disturbing (which is a good thing, considering this is effectively meant to be a horror game). Some enemy designs are a little uninspired; generic, humanoid demons and possessed people will be the earliest encounters you face. However, later on in the game, there are more interesting monsters; floating demon faces, that are horrifying on their own, and cyborg hellhounds will appear later on.

Ultimately, it's not fantastic, but for the amount of content (multiple expansion packs and three doom games), you can't really go wrong anyway.
  4. May 13, 2014
    I had been hopeful, but the BFG edition is tiring, repetitive, missing the finesse of newer titles and the charm of the originals. And if you're running Windows 8, it's a crashfest. Not recommended. It gets 4 for having (average) ports of the original games.
  5. May 12, 2014
    It's a really sad remake of Doom 3, Painkiller did a much better job with their Hell&Damnation edition

Doom I and Doom II, bad emulator, no multiplayer/lan-network

Lost mission is cool, but nothing new and easy done
  6. Jan 6, 2014
    Not sure if everyone is trolls or...

Doom 3 is a great game. Hell, the other two are as well. I remember playing them when they first came out, and I love the action and the exploration of Hell. Obviously this is not a "remake" but rather a "remastered" version. The visuals do look better, with crisp texturing and a great UI, along with motion blur and other various effects. It runs
    Not sure if everyone is trolls or...

Obviously this is not a "remake" but rather a "remastered" version. The visuals do look better, with crisp texturing and a great UI, along with motion blur and other various effects. It runs very nicely at 120 fps. The lighting engine is still the best in gaming, and the combat is just as good as ever. This was released almost 10 years ago, and it still looks and plays better than many games newly released.

The base game always had problems, such as monotonous environments and repetitive game play. Modern game play staples such as weapon zooming and a radial weapon selection system should have been added. The game could have been better, but these 0's and 3's are a bit ridiculous. Some people don't understand rating systems (or are trolls).
  7. Dec 21, 2013
    Well let me first start off by saying... people really have been hard on this game for what reason idk. Yes it is a remake of the origonal game, but they have spent time to make it work, im on windows 8.1 got it working with out much problem, had to run it in windows xp sp 3 mode to stop it from randomly crashing, but that's to be expected with windows 8. Dated graphics... yes are theyWell let me first start off by saying... people really have been hard on this game for what reason idk. Yes it is a remake of the origonal game, but they have spent time to make it work, im on windows 8.1 got it working with out much problem, had to run it in windows xp sp 3 mode to stop it from randomly crashing, but that's to be expected with windows 8. Dated graphics... yes are they bad no still can scare ya with the lights off and some good headphones in a dark room by your self, the sound is good, honestly if u like doom 3 no reason you wont love this game plus it does come with doom and doom 2! and they work on windows 8 with out compatibility issues, which is amazing! i miss doom and it's a trying to get a game that was made for windows 95 to work on windows 8 let me tell ya :P. Expand
  8. Nov 8, 2013
    It was a really fun game and the graphics may have been a pretty bad but it was a really fun experience and most games don't have that great ending the endings such as: quake 4/ turok fear2 games like that make you feel completed after you finished the game this game did that for me.
  9. Sep 1, 2013
    While the original Doom 3 was a atmospheric game with lots of new ideas and some truly ambitious ideas this is a quick bad remake oh no wait its in HD yeah but unlike Halo Anniversary the textures are a little better and cleaner but they turn the lights on and the atmosphere goes down and you can the Doom 3 HD Mod which looks better than BFG and the levels that come with it are boring andWhile the original Doom 3 was a atmospheric game with lots of new ideas and some truly ambitious ideas this is a quick bad remake oh no wait its in HD yeah but unlike Halo Anniversary the textures are a little better and cleaner but they turn the lights on and the atmosphere goes down and you can the Doom 3 HD Mod which looks better than BFG and the levels that come with it are boring and bland there are modded levels but you could download mods with amazing extra levels like Doom 3 Classic Expand
  10. Jul 27, 2013
    The same game, but graphics here looks WORSE than in game from 2004. Consoles power, yeah. Who need it on Personal Computers? With graphics-mod the classic Doom 3 looks much better.
  11. Jul 25, 2013
    If u dont have the original Doom 3 with RoE then its worth it, if u do have it, there is no reason to buy this edition just for new 1,5 hours campaing.
  12. Jan 2, 2013
    I'm a fan of Quake, DOOM, id Software and FPS Arena games. The game is very good. Why this score? Because Bethesda took it and dumbed it down. They re-proposed the same game which was released in 2004 and raised its price. Stop. They promised to make it HD, but there's not any big graphics change. This game isn't worth its price. It's just Doom 3. Even if they made graphics very muchI'm a fan of Quake, DOOM, id Software and FPS Arena games. The game is very good. Why this score? Because Bethesda took it and dumbed it down. They re-proposed the same game which was released in 2004 and raised its price. Stop. They promised to make it HD, but there's not any big graphics change. This game isn't worth its price. It's just Doom 3. Even if they made graphics very much better, why raising the price so much? And remember that in the original Doom 3, there are many mods that make it even look better than Doom 3 BFG Edition! It's just the same game, with an expansion! Same thing with Quake Live. It's free, but it's full of publicity of Bethesda games, and it's not open anymore. Damn. As innovation, I'd rate this game a 0/10. As a flop, I'd rate it a 10/10. BUY THE ORIGINAL DOOM 1/2/3! Expand
  13. Jan 2, 2013
    They at least deliver what is advertised in this game pack. This edition is exclusive to the Steam network and it seems these Doom games cannot be played on my Sharp HDTV in full screen without clipping the edges of the screen. I am forced to play in windowed mode, but at least the game window fills up most of my TV monitor. This is not usually an issue with modern games... Moving on: theThey at least deliver what is advertised in this game pack. This edition is exclusive to the Steam network and it seems these Doom games cannot be played on my Sharp HDTV in full screen without clipping the edges of the screen. I am forced to play in windowed mode, but at least the game window fills up most of my TV monitor. This is not usually an issue with modern games... Moving on: the Doom 3 expansions are present and work just fine. As far as parts of the game being 'remastered' I couldn't really tell since I was forced to play in windowed mode so the improved lighting effects didn't really jump out at me. Speaking of which- the inclusion of the shoulder mounted flashlight sort of negates any cool looking shadows and lighting effects to begin with and I suspect most people will use it constantly while playing. Personally I thought the shoulder flashlight was a bit cheap, since it severely reduced the difficulty of the game. Weapon mounted flashlights would have been an acceptable compromise but that is just my opinion. For delivering Doom 1, 2, and 3 with expansions with few issues, I think Bethesda delivered what was advertised. It is what is it, essentially a thowback to linear shooters that contain mindless shooting. To be frank, modern games blow the Doom genre out of the water. Collapse
  14. Dec 29, 2012
    This game is an epic ensemble of an amazing series made even better, it DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 3, and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil both remastered in HD, and also more cut content called The Lost Mission. This is worth the asking price, with ease.
  15. Dec 2, 2012
    What changed? Nothing! It's absolute garbage. Models were not re-made and are still as blocky as they were before, this was a huge thing for me. Back when DooM3 came out sure those models were when our PCs could handle but now they are better, we can handle those really sexy models that can easily be made with today's modeling programs. Sure if you want to market to console players sure doWhat changed? Nothing! It's absolute garbage. Models were not re-made and are still as blocky as they were before, this was a huge thing for me. Back when DooM3 came out sure those models were when our PCs could handle but now they are better, we can handle those really sexy models that can easily be made with today's modeling programs. Sure if you want to market to console players sure do that but don't leave the PC players in the dark and give them something they don't want.

Moving on from the models which are the most obvious thing that ID didn't change at all. Textures are hard to get right, most of the time users end up installing mods with over the top HD textures because the 'High Quality' textures added by the games original developer are sub-par at best and DooM3 BFG is no different. What you end up with is with a completely undefined set of textures where you can barely read the 'UAC' logos printed on everything. This to me is the biggest downfall of the 'remastered' DooM3 game as textures define a games graphics in my eyes. Moving ahead now I'll visit the included DooM and DooM2. These games are always going to be good, but what annoyed me was the complete lack of effort that ID put into making these games born again... They are the same and have not even been ported to a decent engine. To be completely frank I don't think ID realizes that with old games like these nobody thinks they should be making money off them and just about everyone is going to just download the .wad files directly.

Overall this re-release fails as a re-release and feels like more of an add-on pack with the new content (which I can't properly review because I just couldn't sit through it).

Giving this 1/10 due to the total lack of effort on IDs part.
  16. Nov 26, 2012
    I picked up Doom 3: BFG edition, mostly for the extra content they claimed to have added to the game. I already owned and loved Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil, so I already knew it was a game I knew and loved.

I know a lot of people complained about Doom 3's graphics, but I honestly never had an issue with it. By today's standards, the game is dated, but many games are. When compared to other games and movies that were given the "HD" treatment, it's almost always the same. You can't take a game that is 7 years old and expect superior graphics without major re-work. With that being said, I don't find Doom 3 BFG to be any more offensive in that department then any other game I've played this year. I find it unbelievable that people are throwing a ♥♥♥♥♥ fit about the graphics when STEAM is still pushing "8bit" garbage in the Indie Department.

People complained about the human models. Who gives a damn? Honestly? Wasn't doom about shooting demons and wading through pools of blood? Not how some of the character models didn't look perfect? Some of you have lost your way.

Another complaint has been the sound. I don't know, I don't notice any difference, or upgrade for that matter. I live in a duplex and use a pair of wireless Afterglow headset for all of my gaming, it sounds great and I have no complaints.

Added Xbox 360 controller support is great.

So then, where's the beef? The 3D. I use a 3D TV that supports multiple modes, which I have connected to my computer. I have no problems viewing 3D images and watching 3D BluRay rips on my computer, never have. You can tell when people don't work very hard on 3D, you can tell RIGHT AWAY, because with 3D you either do it right the first time, or it's shoddy the whole way through.

They didn't work as hard on the 3D as they could have or should have. 3D was one of the major selling points for me and I am really dispointed with this. No matter what adjustments I make, there is always a very slight ghosting on the 3D imaging, which is a huge let down for me.

For people who haven't played Doom 3, this is an all in one package that is fine, there isn't anything WRONG with it. For people looking for a great 3D game experience to freshen up an old great, don't bother, it's not very good.
  17. Nov 22, 2012
    "Remastered" is the wrong word, its just a re-release targeted towards consoles, the textures are poor and blurry, there aren't many graphics option for PC users, even with the AA maxed out it still looks blurry and the sharpness is not there what the original Doom 3 had, the lighting is bright and the default FOV is set to 60 which really feels annoying, these changes can be done using"Remastered" is the wrong word, its just a re-release targeted towards consoles, the textures are poor and blurry, there aren't many graphics option for PC users, even with the AA maxed out it still looks blurry and the sharpness is not there what the original Doom 3 had, the lighting is bright and the default FOV is set to 60 which really feels annoying, these changes can be done using the console but then if you use or even activate the console, the achievements wont work. I read somewhere they have optimized this version only for consoles, the game runs at a blazing 120 FPS maxed out on my 9800GT but it looks like the original doom 3 on medium settings.

The pack comes with doom 1 and 2 which are enjoyable today and run beautifully on current systems,
    game-play is solid, its nostalgic where you worm through darkness and there is always something that lurches toward you...sound design is perfect, i can imagine playing this with the occulus rift but maybe that will take a while to commercialize, for standard display this game looks average.

Buy it only if you are a hardcore fan as it provides extra content called lost mission and serves as an entry to your collection, or if you have never played doom 3, this is your chance to experience it as graphics is the only flaw with the release otherwise this game is WAY BETTER than most of the FPS that we play today.
  18. Nov 21, 2012
    This is still a must have game for the PC. It is still every bit as scary and fun to play as when it was first released.Most of the reviewers need to look at this release through unjaded eyes.Yes I played all the orginals and yes some of the excellent mods but nothing is like the original. Try playing your old doom 3 on a new computer and see how dated it is. This brings it up to dateThis is still a must have game for the PC. It is still every bit as scary and fun to play as when it was first released.Most of the reviewers need to look at this release through unjaded eyes.Yes I played all the orginals and yes some of the excellent mods but nothing is like the original. Try playing your old doom 3 on a new computer and see how dated it is. This brings it up to date and playable again. So look at this game not against the new generation of games,which it cannot compare,but as a chance for new players to enjoy what we all enjoyed. This is still a must have in your library of games. Expand
  19. Nov 3, 2012
    I played through the original Doom 3 on PC and loved it - especially after the duct tape mod (The one where you can use your flashlight and weapon at the same time). The BFG edition lets you do this at the get go. Other than that, the graphics look about the same. Again, they may have been updated, but nothing too outrageous. If you are a horror FPS gamer then this is a must play.I played through the original Doom 3 on PC and loved it - especially after the duct tape mod (The one where you can use your flashlight and weapon at the same time). The BFG edition lets you do this at the get go. Other than that, the graphics look about the same. Again, they may have been updated, but nothing too outrageous. If you are a horror FPS gamer then this is a must play. However, as of the time of this writing, this game is $30 on Steam. I believe this is way too over priced. I would have given this game an "8" but because of the price it has earned a 6. A fair price for this game would be $15 IMO. If you haven't checked this one out yet, it is not too dated to still be enjoyable. Even if you have played this game before, it is worth another visit. This collection does contain Doom 1 + 2. While these are classics, I do feel that they are too dated to be really great by today's standards. Just my opinion. Check this out when the price comes down a bit. Expand
  20. Oct 31, 2012
    Fixed all the problems identified in the previous version of Doom 3, cleaned up the lines, increased some of the lighting, and allows us to focus on the most enjoyable aspects of the game, murder, death, and killing. In addition to this, they made the originals available, a classic touch. My top pick for first-person shooters. Halo can't touch Doom.
  21. nop
    Oct 31, 2012
    I'm one of those people who stopped playing original Doom 3 on Alpha labs stages, because of its irritating and repetitive gameplay, darkness and wildly varying performance. I'm proud to say that I managed to finish this version, so it's not that bad after all. I'll be frank, Doom 3 never was a shining example of good game design, shooting was meh(weak weapons, bullet sponge enemies),I'm one of those people who stopped playing original Doom 3 on Alpha labs stages, because of its irritating and repetitive gameplay, darkness and wildly varying performance. I'm proud to say that I managed to finish this version, so it's not that bad after all. I'll be frank, Doom 3 never was a shining example of good game design, shooting was meh(weak weapons, bullet sponge enemies), scares were cheap, story was weak. But very solid graphics engine and level design. I played for bits of good old Doom 1-2 left in it and never liked that flashlight mechanics where you can't see enemies when you can actually shoot at them. In this version this problem was solved, making it faster, more dynamic. For me, this is a plus. I would prefer a more subtle solution, though. But they just removed most of the dynamic lighting from the game. Basically, it has detail of the PC version with slightly improved textures, but lighting from old xbox 1 port. Thanks to this change, performance is very stable, but a lot of lighting magic is lost. BTW, Radeon owners can use rs_enable 0 console command to remove an unnecessary feature that makes the game slow on their systems. But there is a killer feature in this game. Stereoscopic 3D is really, really good. This is, in fact, the first game with stereo3D that I played inthis mode from start to finish, where you can get an awesome depth perception and a solid performance on 3 years old PC hardware. Console tweaks help, of course. Too bad, they didn't try to convert old Doom games to improved engine with stereo3d support, making them even more awesome than they already are. But who would play Doom 3 then? Expand
  22. Oct 27, 2012
    Let me start off by saying this: the graphics are NOT terrible, most people these days only seek perfection and realism, and the revamped version of DOOM 3, truly is a great improvement to the original, especially since it can be upscaled and adjusted for our newer gaming rigs. The gameplay is still just as good as it was back then, and being able to use a flashlight while shooting is aLet me start off by saying this: the graphics are NOT terrible, most people these days only seek perfection and realism, and the revamped version of DOOM 3, truly is a great improvement to the original, especially since it can be upscaled and adjusted for our newer gaming rigs. The gameplay is still just as good as it was back then, and being able to use a flashlight while shooting is a breath of fresh air, if any at all. The sense of location is eerily believable, and sounds are somewhat acceptable to the game's overall tone of horror-themed action. DOOM 1 & 2 are also included in this collection, which is an awesome addition for anyone who wants to relive the experience of one of the most legendary FPS franchises in history. And if that wasn't enough, the game has 60+ Steam achievements to collect and many "secrets" to discover, making this product even more playable. If you were a hardcore DOOM fan who felt cheated from buying this, I feel sorry that you can't enjoy this amazing collection for what it truly is. But if you are just now learning about DOOM, and want to experience something unforgettable, I recommend you buy this as soon as possible. Expand
  23. Oct 23, 2012
    This is a release marketed to those who are new to the Doom Franchise, and it offers more content than most games out there at a discounted price of $40. Doom 1 and 2 are here, but the main attraction is Doom 3 and its original expansion plus the new missions id made just for this release. Graphics have been enhanced to look great on our HD tvs, and they have given it 3D support (whichThis is a release marketed to those who are new to the Doom Franchise, and it offers more content than most games out there at a discounted price of $40. Doom 1 and 2 are here, but the main attraction is Doom 3 and its original expansion plus the new missions id made just for this release. Graphics have been enhanced to look great on our HD tvs, and they have given it 3D support (which works better than most games out there). Get this game, enjoy it, and hopefully soon we will be playing Doom 4! Expand
  24. Oct 23, 2012
    Not even close to being worth your money. First of all if you're buying this for PC.. DON'T. Get the original, don't ruin the experience by playing this version, please.

They have brightened it up to the point that it ruins the atmosphere at points. The textures and models actually look terrible because they've been dulled down for consoles. The game looks terrible but runs perfect.

Just buy the original, Doom 1 and 2 buy separately next time there's an id sale. I couldn't make my way through this again, even being a big fan of Doom 3 and I really can't see the justification of spending 30 euro on it.

It gets 3 points for the Lost Missions and that's it. Everything else is a subpar product that has been ruined by Id's boner for consoles.

I got as far as the Alpha Labs and just couldn't go on butchering the good memories I had of scaring myself **** with Doom 3.

Even the Doom 1 and 2 emulators are terrible, with a minimal of options in them.

On that note, let me be clear ; THERE ARE NO GRAPHIC ADJUSTMENT OPTIONS WHATSOEVER

I repeat, if you have played Doom 3 before on PC.. do not buy this unless you are comfortable spending 30 euro on 10 mod level quality extra missions. Really I wouldn't bother, it's the most justified pirate ever

All I wanted out of this was high res textures with a bit of nifty motion blur, instead I got a botched Doom 3 with almost blocky graphics and textures. It really is actually WORSE than the original.

I will be playing the Lost Missions, but honestly I'm not that arsed seeing how badly they have butchered the experience

Not worth your 30 bones

RIP Id Software
  25. Oct 22, 2012
    Doom 3: BFG Edition is okay. I have always loved the doom games since I grew up with them, but revisiting Doom 3 makes me realized how far along shooters have come in the past few years. What was jaw-dropping then in terms of visuals now look quite dated, and ID have done little to improve the look of the game. The expansions are pretty pointless, more embarrassing than anything else.Doom 3: BFG Edition is okay. I have always loved the doom games since I grew up with them, but revisiting Doom 3 makes me realized how far along shooters have come in the past few years. What was jaw-dropping then in terms of visuals now look quite dated, and ID have done little to improve the look of the game. The expansions are pretty pointless, more embarrassing than anything else. Resurrection of Evil, with its new weapons just screams, "Hey guys! We can be like Half-Life 2 and FEAR also!", which at the time was hopping on the bandwagon of shooter trends whereas now it's just old and outdated. While it was a more or less fun experience, I wish they had done more to improve the look of the game and the frustrating and tedious elements of the game have only gotten worse over time. People new to the series won't be won over but long-time fans will probably have a bit of fun enjoying an old favorite. Expand
  26. Oct 22, 2012
    A piece of FPS history. I am so glad I can now play this in full widescreen HD goodness. People tend to forget how innovative this game was when it came out in 2004, a full console generation before the currently aging one. An advice from the past: play it on the hardest possible mode - don't even bother with medium difficulty settings. This is caviar, not chopped pork.
  27. Oct 21, 2012
    This new 'enhanced' edition of Doom 3 is nothing more of a tweak. There, I said it. Its essentially a mod for Doom 3. Graphically, the game is considerably brighter. This doesn't really destroy the atmosphere of the original version at all but when you consider that they've changed the signature flashlight mechanic to a Half-Life-esque battery drain/attached-to-suit flashlight that makes aThis new 'enhanced' edition of Doom 3 is nothing more of a tweak. There, I said it. Its essentially a mod for Doom 3. Graphically, the game is considerably brighter. This doesn't really destroy the atmosphere of the original version at all but when you consider that they've changed the signature flashlight mechanic to a Half-Life-esque battery drain/attached-to-suit flashlight that makes a lot of scares just plain dumb, it degrades the entire game. Apart from this, graphic-wise, the BFG edition does not go the extra mile at all to enhance the overall graphical fidelity. Dont expect any HD-makeover here at all. The texture res still suck balls, shadows r basically the same and overall detail remains largely unchanged. In terms of gameplay, its basically the same thing - shotgun, MG, chaingun, Pulse Rifle and BFG monsters from hell though dozens of generic cold steel facilities. It gets repetitive but on a personal level, I did get a nostalgic rush to the days of old in high school where my friends and I would lose our **** at playing Doom 3 back in 2005 on a fishbowl PC. But in the end, why would I want to spend $39 on a game which I could've got from Steam for $9? This is for the young only, those who did not experience the terror that Doom 3 evoked upon us gamers back in the day. Though the most they might do is get bored after a few hours and go play prettier, more dynamic shooters with decent plotlines.
    Oh and it also comes with Doom 1 and 2 (No, I dont want to fck up my eyes thnx). But overall, its as expected - Doom 3 with some tweaks. id Software, just give us Doom 4. After Rage, we just cant take anymore of your bull****.
  28. Oct 21, 2012
    While I understand that a lot of people are angry that this game is essentially the same game that was released in 2004 (and without major changes), I highly question whether or not most of these user reviews are from true customers or just a bunch of butthurt communists angry that ID Software is making money on Doom 3 again. With that said, I would be reluctant to recommend this versionWhile I understand that a lot of people are angry that this game is essentially the same game that was released in 2004 (and without major changes), I highly question whether or not most of these user reviews are from true customers or just a bunch of butthurt communists angry that ID Software is making money on Doom 3 again. With that said, I would be reluctant to recommend this version to someone who already owns all the Doom games. However, for someone who doesn't own Doom 3 and/or the early Doom games, Doom 3 BFG is an excellent choice. I guess whether or not one can give this game a good review depends entirely on whether or not they liked Doom 3 - which the Doom community is split down the middle on. I loved Doom 3 - and I love this game. The extra content and improved lighting make Doom 3 BFG a great deal. About the only thing that keeps me from giving this game a perfect 10 is the fact that it currently lacks mod support - so all of the great Doom 3 mods cannot be enjoyed with this version - yet. That is apt to change soon, however, it's still somewhat of a bummer that these mods can't be used immediately. I am still awarding it a perfect 10, however, just to counter the butthurt communists. Expand
  29. Oct 20, 2012
    Owning every Doom game and being a Doom fan doesn't even make this good. Classic Doom port, tough better than older game reissues, is still sub par vs existing source ports, and removing all nazi references from the secrets levels from doom2 (and even the red crosses from the medkits (wtf?)), doesn't make it any better. As for Doom3, they made it substantially brighter, updated the UI, andOwning every Doom game and being a Doom fan doesn't even make this good. Classic Doom port, tough better than older game reissues, is still sub par vs existing source ports, and removing all nazi references from the secrets levels from doom2 (and even the red crosses from the medkits (wtf?)), doesn't make it any better. As for Doom3, they made it substantially brighter, updated the UI, and tuned the engine for todays standards (widescreen, 3d)... on the bad side: no graphics options, horrid console fov, no mod support... in this case it is also better to run old Doom3 with all the awesome graphics addon and you'll get what BFG should have been. The new "Lost Mission" contains 2 hours of gameplay made up of refurbished Doom3 content, and even tough the new Hell level is nice, it is not worth the price of admission, it should be your usual 4$ DLC. VEREDICT: Worthwhile only if you are a hardcore doom fan and don't care the price tag, haven't played doom ever OR if you own a PS3 and want to get a taste of it. Expand
  30. Oct 19, 2012
    Shamefully removes the co-op that WAS IN THE ORIGINAL GAME, which kills all the value this game could have had. The DooM 1 and 2 ports are really awful as well, how do you get such a horrible framerate for such old games?
    I can't recommend this over the original DooM 3 due to the lack of co-op play
  31. Oct 18, 2012
    This is temporary review to warnt everyone: if you have DOOM 3 or played it DONT BUY BFG EDITION, because its A BROKEN DOWNGRADE, it have worse graphics, worse sounds, worse models, worse menues an UI, and even worse atmoshere and gameplay! They managed to dumb down doom for consoles, brake its fine graphics and rest of things and turn it into yeat another RAGE! This game dont even haveThis is temporary review to warnt everyone: if you have DOOM 3 or played it DONT BUY BFG EDITION, because its A BROKEN DOWNGRADE, it have worse graphics, worse sounds, worse models, worse menues an UI, and even worse atmoshere and gameplay! They managed to dumb down doom for consoles, brake its fine graphics and rest of things and turn it into yeat another RAGE! This game dont even have support for mod and graphic settings! Textures and lighting became worse, no flashligtht shadows, many light sources and decals with blood and signs was removed, self shadowing turned off, console locked, most of CFG cvars ignored or overridden by game. Once finest PC game was ported to consoles and then ported to PC from consoles to became POOR PC port!
    I really loved original DOOM and gave it 9 of 10, but my score here and now is not for DOOM 3 itself, but for "remaster" "re-release" and this release is 0 of 10 (ok if ill add real doom 3 score it would be 8 of 10 because its still old good doom but a screwed up one, but as i said im giving as score to quallity of re-release not to game itself) because its add nothing good except for gamepad and proper widescreen support, but its removes a lot.

Dont buy this release untill Bethesda and ID will release PC patch that will return everything they cut intto rigth place, will turn on everything they turned off, will restore every feature of original, inluding support for modding and sergeant kely proper face and all the graphic and gameplay settings of original.
    Once and if they will release major update that will unscrew everything they screwed and once it will add even better high res textures as excuse and as part of promised "remastering" and "improvement" you can buy it with discount, because its still doesnt cost 30$ for a re-release. 15$ is biggest price for such a cheap port of game everyone already own and to be honnest this should be offered as free patch to original game (only if they will unscrew it 1st, without fixes it would be a downgrade patch), just like enhanced editions of The Witcher.
  32. Oct 18, 2012
    Doom 3: BFG Edition is possibly one of the best releases from id Software in a while. I don't quite like to think of it as just a re-release of Doom 3, but rather a collection of some of the finest games from id. Think about it, a large portion of this current generation of gamers never got to experience the awe of Doom, but now, they can! BFG Edition includes the original Doom, Doom II,Doom 3: BFG Edition is possibly one of the best releases from id Software in a while. I don't quite like to think of it as just a re-release of Doom 3, but rather a collection of some of the finest games from id. Think about it, a large portion of this current generation of gamers never got to experience the awe of Doom, but now, they can! BFG Edition includes the original Doom, Doom II, and a remastered version of Doom 3.

First things first, the classic Doom games that the PC version comes with are running under a proprietary source port from id; multiplayer and mods are not accessible, visuals are a little blurry, and the framerate is capped at 35 FPS. If you really don't care for any of the awesome mods and fan-made levels, or classic Doom multiplayer, this version of Doom will be fine. It is very playable. However, I would highly recommend getting a source port such as ZDoom to run the games better. The WAD files for the Doom and Doom II can be found in the 'wads' folder in the Doom 3: BFG Edition steam folder. One thing I think is pretty cool is that id included the new Doom II episode, No Rest For the Living (which was originally only available in the XBLA version of Doom II), in BFG Edition. It can be played on other source ports if you load it as a PWAD for Doom II (the name of it is called NERVE.wad).

Now for Doom 3. The visuals have definitely been updated, and the game looks better, but still not up to current games standards. Now, I really wasn't expecting current gen graphics, but I was still a little let down. Overall, it still looks dated, but I personally rate a game more based on gameplay than graphics. The main differences between the original Doom 3 and the BFG Edition is that you now have a chest-mounted flashlight that allows you to see in dark areas without you having to switch to your flashlight. This allows for more action-oriented, faster and smoother overall gameplay. Ammo, shielding, and health is also more plentiful. id wants to focus less on surviving, and more on shooting tons of demon spawn. I personally like this; it makes Doom 3 more like the original games. These updates are subtle, but very welcome. The multiplayer has not changed much, except now you can have 8 people playing in a game rather than just 4. I joined a game of Team Deathmatch, and swiftly got my butt kicked. People seem to be enjoying themselves. BFG also includes the Doom 3 expansion pack, Resurrection of Evil, and an all new expansion titled The Lost Missions. These new levels are very enjoyable, and add a lot to the Doom 3 experience.

Some things I do not particularly like about the BFG Edtion of Doom 3 is that all previous mods for the original Doom 3 do not work for BFG. There were some pretty great mods available. Another thing I don't like is that there is no co-op mode. The original Doom 3 didn't have co-op either (except for the Xbox version), but there was a mod that allowed it. Now, with no mods, there is no co-op. Despite these shortcomings, Doom 3: BFG Edition is still a solid package. If you have never played Doom, or do not own the games, you really should get this collection. Doom is one of the most influential games of all time, and practically spawned the first-person-shooter genre. All three of the games are awesome. If you already have Doom 3, this might not be an absolute MUST BUY. Still, its only 30 dollars, and the new stuff is pretty enjoyable. Is it worth 30 bucks? You decide.
  33. Oct 18, 2012
    When the words "remastered", "enhanced", "new campaign" and others are thrown around you'd expect a whole new rich experience and honestly i was also lured into playing this when "includes a copy of Doom and Doom II" came to my attention, and what was that end product again: A mediocre attempt to improve graphics that can already be improved even better with FREE mods and an unoptimizedWhen the words "remastered", "enhanced", "new campaign" and others are thrown around you'd expect a whole new rich experience and honestly i was also lured into playing this when "includes a copy of Doom and Doom II" came to my attention, and what was that end product again: A mediocre attempt to improve graphics that can already be improved even better with FREE mods and an unoptimized Doom & Doom II that any decent source port can run flawlessly in widescreen resolution and with full mouse view support, add to that the lackluster graphic options in Doom 3 and what you get is a disappointing package that could have been the ultimate gaming compilation of recent years, shame on you John Carmack for letting this game slide. Expand
  34. Oct 18, 2012
    Grimdandelo a obvious troll. Going to each and every system release and rating it 0? get out fo here. I picked it up for PC and 360... its a great bundle on PC if youve never played the original games, and its well polished. But it really shines on the console, especially for those of us who played the Xbox original Doom 3 that was watered down from its PC counterpart.... this one reallyGrimdandelo a obvious troll. Going to each and every system release and rating it 0? get out fo here. I picked it up for PC and 360... its a great bundle on PC if youve never played the original games, and its well polished. But it really shines on the console, especially for those of us who played the Xbox original Doom 3 that was watered down from its PC counterpart.... this one really should make you smile and see what you missed if your into modding, then i'd say stick with the original releases on PC. If not, then this release is for you, and is one nicely polished bundle collection

If your on console, definetely don't miss this release... go buy it.

Also, the 3D effects are great... some of the best I've seen in a game that supports 3D. A definete must buy!
  35. Oct 17, 2012
    Used to be, when I heard a game was being remade, I would squeal with excitement. Now I just shake my head sadly and curl up in a corner. Doom 3 was no different. I'll be blunt: It's my opinion that Doom 3 was not the spectacular Icon of the golden age of PC gaming that everyone made it out to be. It had a metric ton of problems and balance issues that never seemed to be fixed. I expectedUsed to be, when I heard a game was being remade, I would squeal with excitement. Now I just shake my head sadly and curl up in a corner. Doom 3 was no different. I'll be blunt: It's my opinion that Doom 3 was not the spectacular Icon of the golden age of PC gaming that everyone made it out to be. It had a metric ton of problems and balance issues that never seemed to be fixed. I expected the remake - or remaster, which I guess is the more appropriate term - to fix some of these issues. They do not.

There were some small changes to the game, but they were the kind that tailored to the mainstream market and detracted from the original Doom 3 experience. Ammo is more plentiful, and instead of having to switch out your gun for a flashlight, you're now equipped with a flahslight on your shoulder, that can't run for more than 10 seconds without needing to recharge, which takes about a second, resulting in you stopping to turn the light back on - something I found to be even less convenient than swapping out a weapon. At least that had a gameplay mechanic to it; this was just annoying.

The "remaster" also increased resolutions to allow widescreen and higher resolution, and updated the graphics from August 2004 to to the cutting edge graphics of February 2005. Everything is else the exact same game. Same characters, same cheap enemy spawns, same locker codes. The shotgun is still useless at a range longer than four inches, if that. It's still ridiculously impossible to fight back when taking damage. Damage values of weapons are inconsistent; an enemy may die in a single headshot, or tank an entire magazine of AR rounds to the skull. Enemies still spawn behind you in previously-empty dead ends, with no indication of their presence until you begin rocking back n forth like you're in a Weeble commercial, and your health suddenly drops to half. The enemy AI is still horrid, especially if they're using ranged weapons. And there's no subtitles, so when your douchebag commander decides to contact you for anything, you won't hear what he's saying over the loud machinery, gunfire,and shrieking noises of enemies you're trying to kill, and the mix of noise will ravage your ears the way the UPS man ravaged your mother when you were five and Daddy was on a business trip.

This isn't a hard game, or a challenging game. This is a cheap game, in gameplay and value.
  36. Oct 17, 2012
    While no doubt influential games, Doom and its sequel aren't really up for review anymore. (It does say BFG edition after all) Simply comparing Doom 3 to Painkiller, Far Cry or Half-Life 2 (all released in the same year) seems the fairest, because the modern FPS genre has eclipsed what Doom 3 accomplished in 2004. In my opinion, it is inferior I'll start with some good- Doom 3 didWhile no doubt influential games, Doom and its sequel aren't really up for review anymore. (It does say BFG edition after all) Simply comparing Doom 3 to Painkiller, Far Cry or Half-Life 2 (all released in the same year) seems the fairest, because the modern FPS genre has eclipsed what Doom 3 accomplished in 2004. In my opinion, it is inferior I'll start with some good- Doom 3 did influence, through its use of audio tapes and storytelling, some of what Irrational implemented in Bioshock a few years later. (Maybe, can't prove this obviously) So yes, it leads you along a sci-fi corridor roller coaster, albeit a hackneyed and trite one. Let's be honest here - the story, characters and writing is below the standards of a star trek fanfic. How they went with some of the schlock I'll never know. Every cutscene I'm looking for the skip key, and that's telling. Replaying it now has changed nothing since 2004. From a fundamental perspective, I detest the choice of the 'monster closets' in this game. It presents a die and retry pattern to the campaign that only the most stalwart sympathizers could enjoy. (Sidebar- I think Rage is a great id game...) This game is below average- not truly awful, but lacking in almost every conceivable category, especially in 2012. Expand
  37. Oct 17, 2012
    Doom 3 was a generic mess that wasn't worth purchase in the first place, why would anyone buy it again? Well, you get the older Dooms, but you can easily get those for either dirt cheap, or simply for free. There's some Wolfenstein levels, which are HILARIOUSLY CENSORED TO REMOVE THE NAZI STUFF. I'm aware that the censorship happened when it was released, but that was in certain countries,Doom 3 was a generic mess that wasn't worth purchase in the first place, why would anyone buy it again? Well, you get the older Dooms, but you can easily get those for either dirt cheap, or simply for free. There's some Wolfenstein levels, which are HILARIOUSLY CENSORED TO REMOVE THE NAZI STUFF. I'm aware that the censorship happened when it was released, but that was in certain countries, not including the US. It's hilarious that they decide to censor them here. But anyway. Doom 3 relied on nothing but cheap jump scares, standard gameplay, and the promise of nostalgia. Again, it sucked to begin with. And this remake? What's remade? Things were added, and stereoscopy. That does NOT warrant another release. Zenimax can blow me. Expand
  38. Oct 17, 2012
    Quite honestly, I am a little bit disappointed. I simply expected more. There are completely free (!) mods by the community, that offer better graphics than this. So for your 20 bucks, you get slightly better graphics and wide screen support + some minor game tweaks that make it a tad bit faster. I really love the whole Doom series, but this seems to me like just like an attempt to milkQuite honestly, I am a little bit disappointed. I simply expected more. There are completely free (!) mods by the community, that offer better graphics than this. So for your 20 bucks, you get slightly better graphics and wide screen support + some minor game tweaks that make it a tad bit faster. I really love the whole Doom series, but this seems to me like just like an attempt to milk players for some more money. Had this been free for people who bought the original Doom 3 + RoE, it would have been really awesome. But this way, its just the old good Doom 3 with some minor graphic additions and missions, that could have been easily added via a patch and completely free of charge. Expand
  39. Oct 16, 2012
    Doom 3 was the best in the series and it compares to the SIKK graphics mod on the pc pretty well. One of the scariest games ever made has returned in preperation for Doom 4! Anyone who hasn't played doom 3 should pick this up, because even though it's 8 years old (and some) and the graphics are dated, they still look good for something so old. Not sure why everyone complains about that.
  40. Oct 16, 2012
    I would recommend this for someone who likes old school games, because even with small improvements in graphics, BFG edition still looks very old and choppy. But if you like to kill monsters and have little bit of jump scare, then this probably will be fun, especially with Resurrection of Evil, Lost mission additions.

If you have played or own Doom 3, then not much new here, and its

If you have played or own Doom 3, then not much new here, and its probably not even worth the money.
  41. Oct 16, 2012
    I loved the Doom series, but this is little more than a cash in. Lost Mission is the only real new content here, and I would probably pay $10 for it, but the $30 admission price ($20 with a Steam discount) is far too much for what you get. The only reason I didn't rate this in the negatives is that if you have never played the series before, this is a good way to get them all in one place.
  42. Oct 16, 2012
    Doom is an awesome game, it rightly deserves it's accolades to the world of FPS. However, this isn't something you should spend your money on. If you already own Doom3 on PC and have downloaded any of the great mods available for free there is really no reason to buy this game. If you've never played it, by all means pick this up, otherwise save your dough for something else. I wantedDoom is an awesome game, it rightly deserves it's accolades to the world of FPS. However, this isn't something you should spend your money on. If you already own Doom3 on PC and have downloaded any of the great mods available for free there is really no reason to buy this game. If you've never played it, by all means pick this up, otherwise save your dough for something else. I wanted some crazy update to the graphics or levels/gameplay. I was saddened by what I got. Expand
  43. Jan 2, 2013

Doom 3 still works as a linear shooter but its new release is charmless. Try it if you weren't able to play it during its original release or if you are a devoted collector. Otherwise you can skip it easily. [Dec 2012]
  2. Nov 21, 2012
    Doom 3: BFG Edition is a somewhat odd release that actually makes the classic game worse. The lack of graphic options and forced flashlight mode among other things makes this a very lazy and lacking remake that's hard to recommend to anyone.
  3. Nov 9, 2012
    What is the point of this "improved" edition if it looks much worse than the original DOOM 3 with the fan-made Sikkmod installed?