Doom 3 BFG Edition PC

5.4

1. May 5, 2016
    3/10 A joke, boring downgraded version of DOOM 3. A port of a port. PC->Console->PC.
    (Original DOOM3 and ROE were 9/10, -1 for the annoying zsecs and their instakill hitscan mechanics.)
    One point for it actually works, One for being DOOM3ish-like. One point for Steam achievements. It was advertised as enhanced, but actually for every plus there are two minuses. Graphic: - The same,
    Graphic:
    - The same, but now you can choose HD in menu. The same thing can be done with the original with some config edititng.
    - Seems not as dark as the original. Acceptable but looses some tension here.
    Sound: Noticed no difference.
    Gamplay (the real rage):
    - Flash lamp is always on. That was annoying in the original, but it added to the tension, now it's lost.
    - Difficulty has been degraded to a level of joke, so console players can play i guess. There are less enemies, and ALL the enemies are FAR FAR easier. The same machine gunned zsec that would kill me in 5sec in the original EASY, could only kill me in about 20sec on normal in BFG. That's embarrassing! All the bosses has been altered not just being weak but many lost a few of their attacks. The biggest scandal was to me the new Arch-vile, those were always boss-like enemies. Couldn't believe how they degraded them to a pityful average foe!
    - Ammo flood. Practically 3x more. All the boxes give double amount and you can even find more clips around. Again the game lost a big chunk of atmosphere here. So much ammo i cannot even think what they thought. Console players cannot be that dumb to use 24 shotgun shells on a basic Imp, as approximately this is the rate the game give ammo. In the original i would never be able to see the shotgun shells maximum amount i could wield (not even close).
    Levels: So now we have DOOM1 and DOOM2 plus a full new campaing sound cool.
    - 1 and 2 are OK, they only downgraded them with censorship.
    - New campaign is ok but a bit boring.
    - Now the big problem, CUT AREAS! Mostly minor spaces but the absolutely coolest part of ROE, the blueish platform with several hellknights and mancubii is vanished as it was too hard for console players(?). That is absolutely unacceptable!
    The only good thing the game gave me to taught me how console oriented FPSs look like, so i can avoid them later no matter how much hype they gather. Boring, no tension at all, easy as hell and ridiculous ammo flood.
  2. Dec 10, 2015
    Okay, any score below a 5/10 is about mods. MODS DOESN'T SAVE A GAME!! It's about the ACTUAL **** GAME. SAME WITH CRITICS!!! In short, buy it, it's really good and fun. However, only buy it if you want to have a good controlled Ultimate Doom and DOOM II, as well as Doom 3 enhanced.
  3. Sep 29, 2015
    The best damned horror/survival shooter I've ever played. Period. I love horror games where you can aggressively fight back. I hate horror games where your only option is running and hiding. I want to dish out pain to evil. Doom 3 gives you that power and scares the hell out of you while doing it.
  4. Jul 1, 2015
    - This Version is NOT moddable! (!)
    - Cutscenes are unskippable.
    - there is NO Editor! - sound-design is very, very bad! Everything sounds like an old kitchen-radio. - The weapons, especially the shotgun sound like a plastic-gun. (the most iconic doom-gun, the Shotgun ! sounds so poorly recorded that it's a shame!). - Killed enemies dissapear (!) - Less gore than in Doom 1 & 2. -
    - This Version is NOT moddable! (!)
    - Cutscenes are unskippable.
    - there is NO Editor!
    - sound-design is very, very bad!
    Everything sounds like an old kitchen-radio.
    - Killed enemies dissapear (!)
    - Less gore than in Doom 1 & 2.
    - It's too dark. I know it wants to create a "spooky" and dark atmosphere. But imho it fails and can't deliver much more then cheap Jumpscares (and hides many well build and textured assets in the world)
    - less enemies than the predecessors
    - much slower gameplay than the first two games!
    - boring dark hallways with the same linear leveldesign from the beginning to the end!

I personally wouldn't recommend the BFG-Edition and would rather say: Go buy doom 1 & 2 instead, install the Brutal Doom-mod and have the fun of your lifetime (especially with some of the enhanced and remixed soundtracks like DoomMetal!) It has even a coop-mode!
  5. Jun 8, 2015
    Overall it's a good package. I'd really really want to recommend this to people but numerous small issues just bring quality of the release down. The core problem here is that they've standardised majority of the things and all the changes they've made, they've them with HDTVs and game consoles in mind. That causes issues in the Windows-PC release of the game.

I'd recommend this package

I'd recommend this package for people who have never played all the Doom games. The rest are probably better off with the 1993, 1994 and 2004 releases of the games in the package. I mean, they censored Doom 2 for example. Who in the right mind would do that?

Not to mention that they've not fixed any of the major bugs in the Doom 3's BFG version compared to the original 2004 release. There's just zero reasons to own the BFG version instead of the original.

Cost for the package seem ok. For 30€ player gets about 50~60 hours of single-player fun. That's pretty good. Additionally there's some extra single-player content too. Doom 2's "No Rest for the Living" is a good fun experience. And "The Lost Mission" for Doom 3 is ok even if it recycles lots of content from the main game.
  6. Jul 18, 2014
    Truly a valuable collection of games. You get the DOOM trilogy for $20 (or $5 if u wait for a sale) and remastered sound, and good MP. This game is one of the best ever. It also has a lot of trophies.
  7. Jun 17, 2014
    The stereoscopic 3D is worth the price alone. Not to mention most OpenGL games have no other way of working in 3D than to have it built-in - as DirectX injection drivers normally won't work at all. Thanks to this edition I can play the title with full blown depth percetpion. I've been taken back to hell, this time in 3D, it's rattled me and I freakin' love it!

Ok I don't love it to a

Ok I don't love it to a 10/10 but to offset the harm done by idiots with keyboards who don't know any better and can't tell a good game if it hit them right in the face, I had to overscore a bit here.
  8. Jun 3, 2014
    Doom 3 BFG edition is not strictly a great game, but it at least reaches a level of decency, in my eyes. The game is not merely Doom 3, but also includes the original and Doom 2, which are great games on their own. Doom 3 is not necessarily fantastic, but it's a fun corridor shooter that I recalled playing several years ago on the original Xbox. Wanting to relive the relative nostalgia, IDoom 3 BFG edition is not strictly a great game, but it at least reaches a level of decency, in my eyes. The game is not merely Doom 3, but also includes the original and Doom 2, which are great games on their own. Doom 3 is not necessarily fantastic, but it's a fun corridor shooter that I recalled playing several years ago on the original Xbox. Wanting to relive the relative nostalgia, I bought this to see if it was as good as I remembered it being. I hate to say that it wasn't as great as I remember, but still rather fun and intriguing. The story is a little cliche and predictable, but the setup itself is interesting and, at some times, slightly disturbing (which is a good thing, considering this is effectively meant to be a horror game). Some enemy designs are a little uninspired; generic, humanoid demons and possessed people will be the earliest encounters you face. However, later on in the game, there are more interesting monsters; floating demon faces, that are horrifying on their own, and cyborg hellhounds will appear later on.

Ultimately, it's not fantastic, but for the amount of content (multiple expansion packs and three doom games), you can't really go wrong anyway.
  9. May 13, 2014
    I had been hopeful, but the BFG edition is tiring, repetitive, missing the finesse of newer titles and the charm of the originals. And if you're running Windows 8, it's a crashfest. Not recommended. It gets 4 for having (average) ports of the original games.
  10. May 12, 2014
    It's a really sad remake of Doom 3, Painkiller did a much better job with their Hell&Damnation edition

Doom I and Doom II, bad emulator, no multiplayer/lan-network

Lost mission is cool, but nothing new and easy done
  11. Jan 6, 2014
    Not sure if everyone is trolls or...

Doom 3 is a great game. Hell, the other two are as well. I remember playing them when they first came out, and I love the action and the exploration of Hell. Obviously this is not a "remake" but rather a "remastered" version. The visuals do look better, with crisp texturing and a great UI, along with motion blur and other various effects. It runs
    Not sure if everyone is trolls or...

Obviously this is not a "remake" but rather a "remastered" version. The visuals do look better, with crisp texturing and a great UI, along with motion blur and other various effects. It runs very nicely at 120 fps. The lighting engine is still the best in gaming, and the combat is just as good as ever. This was released almost 10 years ago, and it still looks and plays better than many games newly released.

The base game always had problems, such as monotonous environments and repetitive game play. Modern game play staples such as weapon zooming and a radial weapon selection system should have been added. The game could have been better, but these 0's and 3's are a bit ridiculous. Some people don't understand rating systems (or are trolls).
  12. Dec 21, 2013
    Well let me first start off by saying... people really have been hard on this game for what reason idk. Yes it is a remake of the origonal game, but they have spent time to make it work, im on windows 8.1 got it working with out much problem, had to run it in windows xp sp 3 mode to stop it from randomly crashing, but that's to be expected with windows 8. Dated graphics... yes are theyWell let me first start off by saying... people really have been hard on this game for what reason idk. Yes it is a remake of the origonal game, but they have spent time to make it work, im on windows 8.1 got it working with out much problem, had to run it in windows xp sp 3 mode to stop it from randomly crashing, but that's to be expected with windows 8. Dated graphics... yes are they bad no still can scare ya with the lights off and some good headphones in a dark room by your self, the sound is good, honestly if u like doom 3 no reason you wont love this game plus it does come with doom and doom 2! and they work on windows 8 with out compatibility issues, which is amazing! i miss doom and it's a trying to get a game that was made for windows 95 to work on windows 8 let me tell ya :P. Expand
  13. Nov 8, 2013
    It was a really fun game and the graphics may have been a pretty bad but it was a really fun experience and most games don't have that great ending the endings such as: quake 4/ turok fear2 games like that make you feel completed after you finished the game this game did that for me.
  14. Sep 1, 2013
    While the original Doom 3 was a atmospheric game with lots of new ideas and some truly ambitious ideas this is a quick bad remake oh no wait its in HD yeah but unlike Halo Anniversary the textures are a little better and cleaner but they turn the lights on and the atmosphere goes down and you can the Doom 3 HD Mod which looks better than BFG and the levels that come with it are boring andWhile the original Doom 3 was a atmospheric game with lots of new ideas and some truly ambitious ideas this is a quick bad remake oh no wait its in HD yeah but unlike Halo Anniversary the textures are a little better and cleaner but they turn the lights on and the atmosphere goes down and you can the Doom 3 HD Mod which looks better than BFG and the levels that come with it are boring and bland there are modded levels but you could download mods with amazing extra levels like Doom 3 Classic Expand
  15. Jul 27, 2013
    The same game, but graphics here looks WORSE than in game from 2004. Consoles power, yeah. Who need it on Personal Computers? With graphics-mod the classic Doom 3 looks much better.
  16. Jul 25, 2013
    If u dont have the original Doom 3 with RoE then its worth it, if u do have it, there is no reason to buy this edition just for new 1,5 hours campaing.
  17. Jan 2, 2013
    I'm a fan of Quake, DOOM, id Software and FPS Arena games. The game is very good. Why this score? Because Bethesda took it and dumbed it down. They re-proposed the same game which was released in 2004 and raised its price. Stop. They promised to make it HD, but there's not any big graphics change. This game isn't worth its price. It's just Doom 3. Even if they made graphics very muchI'm a fan of Quake, DOOM, id Software and FPS Arena games. The game is very good. Why this score? Because Bethesda took it and dumbed it down. They re-proposed the same game which was released in 2004 and raised its price. Stop. They promised to make it HD, but there's not any big graphics change. This game isn't worth its price. It's just Doom 3. Even if they made graphics very much better, why raising the price so much? And remember that in the original Doom 3, there are many mods that make it even look better than Doom 3 BFG Edition! It's just the same game, with an expansion! Same thing with Quake Live. It's free, but it's full of publicity of Bethesda games, and it's not open anymore. Damn. As innovation, I'd rate this game a 0/10. As a flop, I'd rate it a 10/10. BUY THE ORIGINAL DOOM 1/2/3! Expand
  18. Jan 2, 2013
    They at least deliver what is advertised in this game pack. This edition is exclusive to the Steam network and it seems these Doom games cannot be played on my Sharp HDTV in full screen without clipping the edges of the screen. I am forced to play in windowed mode, but at least the game window fills up most of my TV monitor. This is not usually an issue with modern games... Moving on: theThey at least deliver what is advertised in this game pack. This edition is exclusive to the Steam network and it seems these Doom games cannot be played on my Sharp HDTV in full screen without clipping the edges of the screen. I am forced to play in windowed mode, but at least the game window fills up most of my TV monitor. This is not usually an issue with modern games... Moving on: the Doom 3 expansions are present and work just fine. As far as parts of the game being 'remastered' I couldn't really tell since I was forced to play in windowed mode so the improved lighting effects didn't really jump out at me. Speaking of which- the inclusion of the shoulder mounted flashlight sort of negates any cool looking shadows and lighting effects to begin with and I suspect most people will use it constantly while playing. Personally I thought the shoulder flashlight was a bit cheap, since it severely reduced the difficulty of the game. Weapon mounted flashlights would have been an acceptable compromise but that is just my opinion. For delivering Doom 1, 2, and 3 with expansions with few issues, I think Bethesda delivered what was advertised. It is what is it, essentially a thowback to linear shooters that contain mindless shooting. To be frank, modern games blow the Doom genre out of the water. Expand
  19. Dec 29, 2012
    This game is an epic ensemble of an amazing series made even better, it DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 3, and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil both remastered in HD, and also more cut content called The Lost Mission. This is worth the asking price, with ease.
  20. Dec 2, 2012
    What changed? Nothing! It's absolute garbage. Models were not re-made and are still as blocky as they were before, this was a huge thing for me. Back when DooM3 came out sure those models were when our PCs could handle but now they are better, we can handle those really sexy models that can easily be made with today's modeling programs. Sure if you want to market to console players sure doWhat changed? Nothing! It's absolute garbage. Models were not re-made and are still as blocky as they were before, this was a huge thing for me. Back when DooM3 came out sure those models were when our PCs could handle but now they are better, we can handle those really sexy models that can easily be made with today's modeling programs. Sure if you want to market to console players sure do that but don't leave the PC players in the dark and give them something they don't want.

Moving on from the models which are the most obvious thing that ID didn't change at all. Textures are hard to get right, most of the time users end up installing mods with over the top HD textures because the 'High Quality' textures added by the games original developer are sub-par at best and DooM3 BFG is no different. What you end up with is with a completely undefined set of textures where you can barely read the 'UAC' logos printed on everything. This to me is the biggest downfall of the 'remastered' DooM3 game as textures define a games graphics in my eyes. Moving ahead now I'll visit the included DooM and DooM2. These games are always going to be good, but what annoyed me was the complete lack of effort that ID put into making these games born again... They are the same and have not even been ported to a decent engine. To be completely frank I don't think ID realizes that with old games like these nobody thinks they should be making money off them and just about everyone is going to just download the .wad files directly.

Overall this re-release fails as a re-release and feels like more of an add-on pack with the new content (which I can't properly review because I just couldn't sit through it).

Giving this 1/10 due to the total lack of effort on IDs part.
  21. Nov 26, 2012
    I picked up Doom 3: BFG edition, mostly for the extra content they claimed to have added to the game. I already owned and loved Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil, so I already knew it was a game I knew and loved.

I know a lot of people complained about Doom 3's graphics, but I honestly never had an issue with it. By today's standards, the game is dated, but many games are. When compared to other games and movies that were given the "HD" treatment, it's almost always the same. You can't take a game that is 7 years old and expect superior graphics without major re-work. With that being said, I don't find Doom 3 BFG to be any more offensive in that department then any other game I've played this year. I find it unbelievable that people are throwing a ♥♥♥♥♥ fit about the graphics when STEAM is still pushing "8bit" garbage in the Indie Department.

People complained about the human models. Who gives a damn? Honestly? Wasn't doom about shooting demons and wading through pools of blood? Not how some of the character models didn't look perfect? Some of you have lost your way.

Another complaint has been the sound. I don't know, I don't notice any difference, or upgrade for that matter. I live in a duplex and use a pair of wireless Afterglow headset for all of my gaming, it sounds great and I have no complaints.

Added Xbox 360 controller support is great.

So then, where's the beef? The 3D. I use a 3D TV that supports multiple modes, which I have connected to my computer. I have no problems viewing 3D images and watching 3D BluRay rips on my computer, never have. You can tell when people don't work very hard on 3D, you can tell RIGHT AWAY, because with 3D you either do it right the first time, or it's shoddy the whole way through.

They didn't work as hard on the 3D as they could have or should have. 3D was one of the major selling points for me and I am really dispointed with this. No matter what adjustments I make, there is always a very slight ghosting on the 3D imaging, which is a huge let down for me.

For people who haven't played Doom 3, this is an all in one package that is fine, there isn't anything WRONG with it. For people looking for a great 3D game experience to freshen up an old great, don't bother, it's not very good.
  22. Nov 22, 2012
    "Remastered" is the wrong word, its just a re-release targeted towards consoles, the textures are poor and blurry, there aren't many graphics option for PC users, even with the AA maxed out it still looks blurry and the sharpness is not there what the original Doom 3 had, the lighting is bright and the default FOV is set to 60 which really feels annoying, these changes can be done using"Remastered" is the wrong word, its just a re-release targeted towards consoles, the textures are poor and blurry, there aren't many graphics option for PC users, even with the AA maxed out it still looks blurry and the sharpness is not there what the original Doom 3 had, the lighting is bright and the default FOV is set to 60 which really feels annoying, these changes can be done using the console but then if you use or even activate the console, the achievements wont work. I read somewhere they have optimized this version only for consoles, the game runs at a blazing 120 FPS maxed out on my 9800GT but it looks like the original doom 3 on medium settings.

The pack comes with doom 1 and 2 which are enjoyable today and run beautifully on current systems,
    game-play is solid, its nostalgic where you worm through darkness and there is always something that lurches toward you...sound design is perfect, i can imagine playing this with the occulus rift but maybe that will take a while to commercialize, for standard display this game looks average.

Buy it only if you are a hardcore fan as it provides extra content called lost mission and serves as an entry to your collection, or if you have never played doom 3, this is your chance to experience it as graphics is the only flaw with the release otherwise this game is WAY BETTER than most of the FPS that we play today.
  23. Nov 21, 2012
    This is still a must have game for the PC. It is still every bit as scary and fun to play as when it was first released.Most of the reviewers need to look at this release through unjaded eyes.Yes I played all the orginals and yes some of the excellent mods but nothing is like the original. Try playing your old doom 3 on a new computer and see how dated it is. This brings it up to dateThis is still a must have game for the PC. It is still every bit as scary and fun to play as when it was first released.Most of the reviewers need to look at this release through unjaded eyes.Yes I played all the orginals and yes some of the excellent mods but nothing is like the original. Try playing your old doom 3 on a new computer and see how dated it is. This brings it up to date and playable again. So look at this game not against the new generation of games,which it cannot compare,but as a chance for new players to enjoy what we all enjoyed. This is still a must have in your library of games. Expand
  24. Nov 3, 2012
    I played through the original Doom 3 on PC and loved it - especially after the duct tape mod (The one where you can use your flashlight and weapon at the same time). The BFG edition lets you do this at the get go. Other than that, the graphics look about the same. Again, they may have been updated, but nothing too outrageous. If you are a horror FPS gamer then this is a must play.I played through the original Doom 3 on PC and loved it - especially after the duct tape mod (The one where you can use your flashlight and weapon at the same time). The BFG edition lets you do this at the get go. Other than that, the graphics look about the same. Again, they may have been updated, but nothing too outrageous. If you are a horror FPS gamer then this is a must play. However, as of the time of this writing, this game is $30 on Steam. I believe this is way too over priced. I would have given this game an "8" but because of the price it has earned a 6. A fair price for this game would be $15 IMO. If you haven't checked this one out yet, it is not too dated to still be enjoyable. Even if you have played this game before, it is worth another visit. This collection does contain Doom 1 + 2. While these are classics, I do feel that they are too dated to be really great by today's standards. Just my opinion. Check this out when the price comes down a bit. Expand
  25. Oct 31, 2012
    Fixed all the problems identified in the previous version of Doom 3, cleaned up the lines, increased some of the lighting, and allows us to focus on the most enjoyable aspects of the game, murder, death, and killing. In addition to this, they made the originals available, a classic touch. My top pick for first-person shooters. Halo can't touch Doom.
  26. nop
    Oct 31, 2012
    I'm one of those people who stopped playing original Doom 3 on Alpha labs stages, because of its irritating and repetitive gameplay, darkness and wildly varying performance. I'm proud to say that I managed to finish this version, so it's not that bad after all. I'll be frank, Doom 3 never was a shining example of good game design, shooting was meh(weak weapons, bullet sponge enemies),I'm one of those people who stopped playing original Doom 3 on Alpha labs stages, because of its irritating and repetitive gameplay, darkness and wildly varying performance. I'm proud to say that I managed to finish this version, so it's not that bad after all. I'll be frank, Doom 3 never was a shining example of good game design, shooting was meh(weak weapons, bullet sponge enemies), scares were cheap, story was weak. But very solid graphics engine and level design. I played for bits of good old Doom 1-2 left in it and never liked that flashlight mechanics where you can't see enemies when you can actually shoot at them. In this version this problem was solved, making it faster, more dynamic. For me, this is a plus. I would prefer a more subtle solution, though. But they just removed most of the dynamic lighting from the game. Basically, it has detail of the PC version with slightly improved textures, but lighting from old xbox 1 port. Thanks to this change, performance is very stable, but a lot of lighting magic is lost. BTW, Radeon owners can use rs_enable 0 console command to remove an unnecessary feature that makes the game slow on their systems. But there is a killer feature in this game. Stereoscopic 3D is really, really good. This is, in fact, the first game with stereo3D that I played inthis mode from start to finish, where you can get an awesome depth perception and a solid performance on 3 years old PC hardware. Console tweaks help, of course. Too bad, they didn't try to convert old Doom games to improved engine with stereo3d support, making them even more awesome than they already are. But who would play Doom 3 then? Expand
  27. Oct 27, 2012
    Let me start off by saying this: the graphics are NOT terrible, most people these days only seek perfection and realism, and the revamped version of DOOM 3, truly is a great improvement to the original, especially since it can be upscaled and adjusted for our newer gaming rigs. The gameplay is still just as good as it was back then, and being able to use a flashlight while shooting is aLet me start off by saying this: the graphics are NOT terrible, most people these days only seek perfection and realism, and the revamped version of DOOM 3, truly is a great improvement to the original, especially since it can be upscaled and adjusted for our newer gaming rigs. The gameplay is still just as good as it was back then, and being able to use a flashlight while shooting is a breath of fresh air, if any at all. The sense of location is eerily believable, and sounds are somewhat acceptable to the game's overall tone of horror-themed action. DOOM 1 & 2 are also included in this collection, which is an awesome addition for anyone who wants to relive the experience of one of the most legendary FPS franchises in history. And if that wasn't enough, the game has 60+ Steam achievements to collect and many "secrets" to discover, making this product even more playable. If you were a hardcore DOOM fan who felt cheated from buying this, I feel sorry that you can't enjoy this amazing collection for what it truly is. But if you are just now learning about DOOM, and want to experience something unforgettable, I recommend you buy this as soon as possible. Expand
  28. Oct 23, 2012
    This is a release marketed to those who are new to the Doom Franchise, and it offers more content than most games out there at a discounted price of $40. Doom 1 and 2 are here, but the main attraction is Doom 3 and its original expansion plus the new missions id made just for this release. Graphics have been enhanced to look great on our HD tvs, and they have given it 3D support (whichThis is a release marketed to those who are new to the Doom Franchise, and it offers more content than most games out there at a discounted price of $40. Doom 1 and 2 are here, but the main attraction is Doom 3 and its original expansion plus the new missions id made just for this release. Graphics have been enhanced to look great on our HD tvs, and they have given it 3D support (which works better than most games out there). Get this game, enjoy it, and hopefully soon we will be playing Doom 4! Expand
  29. Oct 23, 2012
    Not even close to being worth your money. First of all if you're buying this for PC.. DON'T. Get the original, don't ruin the experience by playing this version, please.

They have brightened it up to the point that it ruins the atmosphere at points. The textures and models actually look terrible because they've been dulled down for consoles. The game looks terrible but runs perfect.

Just buy the original, Doom 1 and 2 buy separately next time there's an id sale. I couldn't make my way through this again, even being a big fan of Doom 3 and I really can't see the justification of spending 30 euro on it.

It gets 3 points for the Lost Missions and that's it. Everything else is a subpar product that has been ruined by Id's boner for consoles.

I got as far as the Alpha Labs and just couldn't go on butchering the good memories I had of scaring myself **** with Doom 3.

Even the Doom 1 and 2 emulators are terrible, with a minimal of options in them.

On that note, let me be clear ; THERE ARE NO GRAPHIC ADJUSTMENT OPTIONS WHATSOEVER

I repeat, if you have played Doom 3 before on PC.. do not buy this unless you are comfortable spending 30 euro on 10 mod level quality extra missions. Really I wouldn't bother, it's the most justified pirate ever

All I wanted out of this was high res textures with a bit of nifty motion blur, instead I got a botched Doom 3 with almost blocky graphics and textures. It really is actually WORSE than the original.

I will be playing the Lost Missions, but honestly I'm not that arsed seeing how badly they have butchered the experience

Not worth your 30 bones

RIP Id Software
  30. Oct 22, 2012
    Doom 3: BFG Edition is okay. I have always loved the doom games since I grew up with them, but revisiting Doom 3 makes me realized how far along shooters have come in the past few years. What was jaw-dropping then in terms of visuals now look quite dated, and ID have done little to improve the look of the game. The expansions are pretty pointless, more embarrassing than anything else.Doom 3: BFG Edition is okay. I have always loved the doom games since I grew up with them, but revisiting Doom 3 makes me realized how far along shooters have come in the past few years. What was jaw-dropping then in terms of visuals now look quite dated, and ID have done little to improve the look of the game. The expansions are pretty pointless, more embarrassing than anything else. Resurrection of Evil, with its new weapons just screams, "Hey guys! We can be like Half-Life 2 and FEAR also!", which at the time was hopping on the bandwagon of shooter trends whereas now it's just old and outdated. While it was a more or less fun experience, I wish they had done more to improve the look of the game and the frustrating and tedious elements of the game have only gotten worse over time. People new to the series won't be won over but long-time fans will probably have a bit of fun enjoying an old favorite. Expand

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 30, 2012
    Doom 3 still works as a linear shooter but its new release is charmless. Try it if you weren't able to play it during its original release or if you are a devoted collector. Otherwise you can skip it easily. [Dec 2012]
  2. Nov 21, 2012
    Doom 3: BFG Edition is a somewhat odd release that actually makes the classic game worse. The lack of graphic options and forced flashlight mode among other things makes this a very lazy and lacking remake that's hard to recommend to anyone.
  3. Nov 9, 2012
    What is the point of this "improved" edition if it looks much worse than the original DOOM 3 with the fan-made Sikkmod installed?