7.5

1. Mar 25, 2015
    doom 3 combines elements of survival horror and traditional fps games very well. this game is truly quite scary for the majority of its run time and is bloody fun to play. I feel that it starts to get a little bit boring after you've gotten atleast halfway through because the story doesn't really add anything to the game and there is no variety to the gameplay besides shooting which isdoom 3 combines elements of survival horror and traditional fps games very well. this game is truly quite scary for the majority of its run time and is bloody fun to play. I feel that it starts to get a little bit boring after you've gotten atleast halfway through because the story doesn't really add anything to the game and there is no variety to the gameplay besides shooting which is fine I just wish that they could of incorporated some situations that acquired you to change tactics but you pretty much just want to strafe and shoot. besides the story being only acceptable and the gameplay getting a bit old near the last bit of the game doom is a great game and I can imagine it being a big deal during its time of release Expand
  2. Mar 16, 2015
    After ten years break I can finally play this game again... Just to understand why it failed.

First thing you see is that it aged really, really bad. Even more so than Far Cry, not to mention Half Life 2, which still stays fresh - no matter when you play HL, it plays like it came out yesterday. Levels in Doom 3 are abysmal, graphics are bad and the only reasons it impressed people at

Levels in Doom 3 are abysmal, graphics are bad and the only reasons it impressed people at first was shadowing. Which aged really bad as well. The game tried to hide it's awfulness in design department by taking away as much ligh as it could, taking away flashlight from an every weapon. Some people called it "a feature", but it was just an excuse, because having or not having flashlight doesn't affect gameplay at all (thanks to mods you can test it yourself). Game itself is really, really slow and claustrophobic. Enough said that all levels up to the first boss are really just an introduction, where rarely we will be attacked by more than 2 or 3 enemies. The pacing is really off. Compared to classic Doom games it feels pathetic, unfortunately. There are no secrets, no puzzles whatsoever. Don't tell me that listening to badly recorded audio books for boxes' codes or finding a bonus ammo behind a crate are puzzles. The atmosphere could be good (visuals are there), but the overall voice department is mindboggling bad. Every weapons sounds (and indeed is) underpowered. Which leads us to the worst part: gameplay. The shooting is not exciting, most enemies are slow, unthreatening and I wonder who designed some of them. He/she should be fired (and I hope he/she was).
    It has its moments, but overall Doom 3 is just disappointing.

I hope that Doom 4 will redeem the awful 3rd game. The recent renaissance in FPS genre (Hard reset, shadow warrior remake, less so wolfenstein) really gives me the hope.
  3. Dec 12, 2014
    I have the Steam UK version of Doom 3: BFG Edition and sometimes play the game as well as the expansions: Resurrection of Evil and the Lost Missions but as I still have the original CD's for The Ultimate Doom, Doom 2: Hell on Earth, Final Doom: Plutonia Experiment and Final Doom: TNT - Evilution games I can legally play these games via GZ Doom. I actually prefer to play the old Doom gamesI have the Steam UK version of Doom 3: BFG Edition and sometimes play the game as well as the expansions: Resurrection of Evil and the Lost Missions but as I still have the original CD's for The Ultimate Doom, Doom 2: Hell on Earth, Final Doom: Plutonia Experiment and Final Doom: TNT - Evilution games I can legally play these games via GZ Doom. I actually prefer to play the old Doom games via GZ Doom as I feel they have better gameplay than Doom3 and were truly groundbreaking for their time. Expand
  4. Oct 8, 2014
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING

Walk with flashlight in the darkness -> monster jumps out of a closet after you pass by -> change to weapon and shoot -> wander around to find a audio record -> read the stupid audio file to find a password -> open the keylock -> repeat x10000000

God.
    One of the most overrated game of all time.
  5. Aug 7, 2014
    This game is the **** **** 8/8 m8 .
  6. Jun 28, 2014
    This is a modern-version of the classic DooM.
    The enemies are familiar and so are the weapons
    The characters you encounter are quite decent and you can get along with their ways. The cut-scenes put you on the edge and make you exited for the next event however, the only problem i have encountered are the difficulty settings... To me there's "Very easy" "Easy" "Hard" and "impossible"
    This is a modern-version of the classic DooM.
    The enemies are familiar and so are the weapons
    The cut-scenes put you on the edge and make you exited for the next event
    however, the only problem i have encountered are the difficulty settings...
    To me there's "Very easy" "Easy" "Hard" and "impossible"
    I want something in between the "Easy" and "hard"

Still, Great game.
  7. Jun 25, 2014
    Regardless of how suitable a sequel this game is, it's a mediocre FPS.

Combat lacks challenge & nuance. It's unsatisfying as practically all enemies are bullet sponges, and stunning/suppressing enemies (an FPS staple- see Doom's "pain chance" mechanic) is almost nonexistent. The latter leads to goofy cartoon-gag pursuits around columns and such as the only means of avoiding damage.
    Regardless of how suitable a sequel this game is, it's a mediocre FPS.

Happily, sprinting is fast & doesn't prohibit gunfire. Mobility alone has a nice feel, and it might've redeemed the combat, but for the way it's framed. Namely: ambush after ambush. You are NEVER on the offensive in Doom 3. All good FPSes have a mix of offensive & defensive gameplay, while this one is hideously lopsided. The worst part is once you learn the handful of tricks used over and over by the level designers, you may as well have played the entire game. Not scary. Very obnoxious.

Some high points are superlative ambient audio design, lots of good lighting design, nice texturework. Shame about the game.
  8. May 31, 2014
    Regardless of its repetetive nature, this is the only game I have ever played that gave me a scare... in broad daylight... in a room full of people... The atmosphere makes up for other less competent parts of the game.
  9. May 9, 2014
    Gory, Dark, Demonic themes, Scary enough, Great graphics for it´s time but still being good to date and a good enemies design, perfect for a true FPS survival horror experience.
  10. Apr 29, 2014
    DOOM 3 is an amazing game. Back when it first came out, I was literally too scared to even play it. Even as an adult now, the game still has it's frightening moments. With a massive weapon selection and immerse story line, you can get lost for hours in Mars City killing demons and sending them back to Hell. A true work of art.
  11. Feb 24, 2014
    This game is ok. It does have very good atmosphere and setting. It is immersive and fun. It does create fear and claustrophobic feelings. Not many games can do it to such an extent. Yet there is something that does not feel right. It seems to be made of pieces that does not fit very well together. One of which is textures that seem to have variable depth of graphic detail. It feelsThis game is ok. It does have very good atmosphere and setting. It is immersive and fun. It does create fear and claustrophobic feelings. Not many games can do it to such an extent. Yet there is something that does not feel right. It seems to be made of pieces that does not fit very well together. One of which is textures that seem to have variable depth of graphic detail. It feels fragmented somehow. In terms of difficulty it does not scale very well either. Overall however, the game was pretty good. Expand
  12. Feb 21, 2014
    A great game even after a decade its a timeless master piece. If your looking for a good fun adventure with tons of violence gore and exploration. The story isn't good but the game sure is and for a cheap price of just ten dollars its worth it.
  13. Dec 3, 2013
    This game is an old classic. its good horror and fun to play. i recommend this game for the fans of scary games. Now days this game is a little old fashioned and wont look that good i guess, but i think this game is great in any other way.
  14. Nov 15, 2013
    I was somewhat dissapointed that they pushed Graphics beyond Gameplay. Sure it was nice to see familiar monsters with great textures. But the tight/tiny corridor feeling just wasnt Doom. 90s run and shoot action game turned into 20s stealth horror game. Remember when you pumped your shotgun into the monsters body thus screaming in agony and falling into the ground? Not anymore. They simplyI was somewhat dissapointed that they pushed Graphics beyond Gameplay. Sure it was nice to see familiar monsters with great textures. But the tight/tiny corridor feeling just wasnt Doom. 90s run and shoot action game turned into 20s stealth horror game. Remember when you pumped your shotgun into the monsters body thus screaming in agony and falling into the ground? Not anymore. They simply fall and vanish. Remember the kick ass music that got your adrenaline pumped? Well you dont need any music in this just listen to voice records, thats your music what you get b1tch! Remember the chaing gun and rocket launcher where you could go rambo? Well fyck you reload reload reload. Remember the DoomGuy that could fall from an skyscraper and dont feel a thing? Well this is a Marine that brokes hes legs when jumping off an two feet ladder. And what a joke the Cyberdemon was...What i liked about it was the lenght of the game but thats basically it. Expand
  15. Nov 7, 2013
    When I first played this as a kid I was very scared of it for some reason. Now I go play it and enjoy the leap from 2.5D to 3D! One day there is going to be two super countries Valve and iD
  16. Nov 2, 2013
    When this originally came out it blew my mind. Unfortunately since then other people have took similar mechanics and ideas and took them to the next level so this is no longer an essential purchase. It is however worth it, especially for the atmosphere.
  17. Oct 27, 2013
    Doom 3 does a lot of things right. However the story is not one of them. Doom 3 is a game set on the surface of mars, you play an unnamed space marine coming to mars for security reasons. the game takes of well and the action is fun for a while but about 4 or 5 hours in you notice that the level development is not very varying and the AI is basic and boring after about 100 of the same 8Doom 3 does a lot of things right. However the story is not one of them. Doom 3 is a game set on the surface of mars, you play an unnamed space marine coming to mars for security reasons. the game takes of well and the action is fun for a while but about 4 or 5 hours in you notice that the level development is not very varying and the AI is basic and boring after about 100 of the same 8 enemies. Luckily you get to go to hell and the game takes off again. after that the game is more than fun.

The graphics were stellar for the time of 2004 but does not hold up too well. The music consists of the title music but the sound effects are Eire and the games tone is nice and dark. The story is almost non existent taking a back seat to the action. The levels are largely the same and the multiplayer is lack luster. Doom 3 is a nice action horror game but the AI, Story and Variety need a little bit of tweaking.

I give this game a 6/10

Anybody exited for DOOM 4?
  18. Oct 7, 2013
    A masterpiece. Deep atmosphere and immersion. You play the role of a space marine as you investigate some serious problems going on in mars base. The AI is brutal and the terrain can be confusing but that is just a test of your survival capabilities. I hope you have good reflexes.
  19. Sep 30, 2013
    Linear game, with stunning visuals, and good weapons/monsters, and with acceptable story.
    So linear, and sometimes so boring, but for some reason, it keeps me hooked, and calls me back to play all over again.
  20. Sep 10, 2013
    Coming back to Doom 3 in 2013 I was surprised by how little I enjoyed iD's biggest title of last decade. The graphics still looked crisp but the shooting mechanics and physics have aged horribly. The storyline is delivered well but the fast-paced combat tended to nullify the game's attempts at horror segments.
    Compared to other heavyweight titles of the same year, like Half-Life 2, Doom 3
    Compared to other heavyweight titles of the same year, like Half-Life 2, Doom 3 is not a classic game.
  21. Aug 5, 2013
    Not sure why this game has a mixed or average 7.3 as a user score and only an 87. This is by far one of the best survival horror games I have ever played. The game looks like a 2010 title yet its only a 2004 one. I never really paid much attention to Doom 3 when it first came out because I was never into scary games, but Doom 3 really pulled me into its atmosphere, something video gamesNot sure why this game has a mixed or average 7.3 as a user score and only an 87. This is by far one of the best survival horror games I have ever played. The game looks like a 2010 title yet its only a 2004 one. I never really paid much attention to Doom 3 when it first came out because I was never into scary games, but Doom 3 really pulled me into its atmosphere, something video games rarely do to me let alone one made nine years ago. Some silly design choices like not being able to hold a flashlight and a gun at the same time and a lack of enemy variety are some of the flaws this game has, but nevertheless is an amazing title. I hope this franchise's future is still intact, I really want to see Doom 4 on Id Tech 5. Expand
  22. Jul 26, 2013
    this game. First of i at one stage LOVED DOOM 3, sadly i never finished the game when I LOVED IT, I still haven't finished the game but i am getting very close to the end. BORING, doom 3 is boring, the level designs are dull, the character models look stiff and the same. Stupid story, i honesty don't care about doom story's because the game is supposed to be about mindless violence, but this game. First of i at one stage LOVED DOOM 3, sadly i never finished the game when I LOVED IT, I still haven't finished the game but i am getting very close to the end. BORING, doom 3 is boring, the level designs are dull, the character models look stiff and the same. Stupid story, i honesty don't care about doom story's because the game is supposed to be about mindless violence, but the story in doom 3 is absolutely Bonkers, its crazy, basically demons invade a space station on mars and GETS REAL. Graphics AWESOME, the graphics for doom 3 are honestly really good, especially considering the fact that the game was made in 2004-05. ITS NOT FUN, Doom 3 is not fun, its repetitive, dull and feels more like a chore trying to get past level after level, Doom 3 gets a 4/10 not because its the worst game I've ever played but Because it is amazingly dull and doesn't even feel like a doom game, THE GAME FEELS LIKE FEAR MIXED WITH SPACE DEMONS THAT IS FUELED BY COCAINE BABIES, 4/10, BTW i haven't finished the game yet and will eventually i'm like 2-3 hours away from finishing the game peace out Expand
  23. Jun 18, 2013
    Definitely short of a few missions compared to the originals however it was a great adaption and had what the old dooms did not have. although some of the creatures were quite disappointing in appearance, and some of the missions were quite boring. I still enjoyed the game but just wouldn't pick this over the originals.
  24. May 19, 2013
    Frightening as hell and hard as hell. Many people have complained about the story... You cannot expect literary greatness from a series titled 'Doom.'
  25. Mar 29, 2013
    Very bad game. Empty levels, same monsters, not at all frightful horror. Dont waste your time, I feel really disappointed by spent time playing this. Only last boss kicks ass, but this does not worth it anyways.
  26. Mar 28, 2013
    I made the mistake of waiting too long before playing Doom 3, but that didn't seem to drastically change my opinion of it. The graphics weren't mindblowing, but they were still extremely good. The weapons and gameplay are alright, and even by today's standards, I think still the game retains some original gameplay elements not yet seen in newer games (that I know of). I kept hearing theI made the mistake of waiting too long before playing Doom 3, but that didn't seem to drastically change my opinion of it. The graphics weren't mindblowing, but they were still extremely good. The weapons and gameplay are alright, and even by today's standards, I think still the game retains some original gameplay elements not yet seen in newer games (that I know of). I kept hearing the hype about how scary this game was, and come to find out, the hype was quite accurate. The game held up some great atmospheres and delivered the scares quite nicely. On the negative side, I found the controls a little awkward, the character development is a little weak and unoriginal and some things just drag on. That includes the audio diaries you can collect, and go on for like 2 minutes before you finally hear the access code you wanted so bad to some mechanical box or locker. It's really no secret that Doom 1 and 2 will live on while Doom 3 kinda fades into the gray void. Still, it's a good game from start to finish, but it doesn't fall into the "games that ALL types of gamers should try out!" category, but I still consider giving it a play if you happen to come across it. Expand
  27. Mar 21, 2013
    Doom 3 is a fast paced old style first person horror shooter with exciting gameplay and will constantly remind you to be aware of your surroundings as you progress through the game. I had never played Doom 3 till now and the first thing I noticed is that the graphics although not great, are still remarkably good even in today's standards. Furthermore the lighting effects from the flashDoom 3 is a fast paced old style first person horror shooter with exciting gameplay and will constantly remind you to be aware of your surroundings as you progress through the game. I had never played Doom 3 till now and the first thing I noticed is that the graphics although not great, are still remarkably good even in today's standards. Furthermore the lighting effects from the flash light helped make the game look great and an all more fun experience when entered into rooms of pure darkness. The gameplay for Doom 3 is solid with a nice variety of weapons and enemies. As you get further into the game you will find yourself picking up new weapons and being entered into a cutscene to introduce a new mob you will be fighting throughout the game. The weapons themselves are great however I found myself only sticking to a minority of weapons due the play through since some were greatly more powerful and efficient than others. The enemies in Doom 3 are somewhat unique in there own ways and provide an enjoyable experience throughout the game as you learn how to avoid their attacks and learn their weaknesses however I found some enemies to be impossible to get around such as the mini gun enemies which give no opportunity to avoid getting damaged. Bonuses such as collecting PDA's is a nice touch in Doom as it allowed you to search through peoples PDA's to unlock bonuses in the game and find items earlier. This also increased the urge to explore as it would benefit you hugely as you progressed through a level. The occasion encounters of bosses are OK (except the final boss) and I found myself defeating the bosses on the first try on the medium difficulty which shows the lack of skill required since I usually just found myself spamming a rocket launcher in the bosses faces. Whilst the bosses do look cool, they didn't seem to do much other than run at you and smack you in the face or throw balls of poison, fire or whatever at you. For example in the final boss I found myself kiting the boss around in circles firing a launcher and another weapon for about 5 minutes. In general the level design is good however I found myself not knowing where to go and a lack of indication of where to go which in some ways I agree is good as it allows the game to seem less linear and allow for exploration, however are a few minutes or wandering around cluelessly it does get a little frustrating. The levels towards the end also to me became repetitive and spawning of enemies became extremely predictable. However there are some issues which I really did not like about Doom 3. The lack of an auto save feature. As you get really immersed into the game and die, you find yourself having to repeat half a level because of no autosave even in cut scenes or in boss encounters. Secondly were the small things such as dieing because a door closed when you were standing between it which I thought was unnessary. Finally I found the story was extremely weak which to be honest I don't really care about however a good storyline would have been a nice touch. In short Doom 3 is a fun action packed shooter and will have you always needing to be aware as mobs spawn in all directions as you progress though a level. The campaign is at a fine length, graphics are acceptable in today's standards and in general is longer than most of the latest FPS releases. However the lack of exciting bosses, predictable repetitive enemies, minor frustrating game elements and repetitive maze like levels really held the game back from getting a higher score than 7 in my eyes. The war between the 2004 FPS hits Half Life 2 and Doom 3 leads me to declare that Half Life 2 won this little battle however Doom 3 is still a great game and if given the opportunity, you should give Doom 3 a go. Expand
  28. Jan 5, 2013
    The only thing "Doom" about this game are the classical Imps and Hellknights and a glorified Hell level towards the end, homaging Doom II's art style. Cramped hallway style gameplay that tires after 4 of the 12 hours of gameplay, with the same old tricks of enemies jumping out from secret compartments or darkened corners whilst you tediously search for keycards in order to progress toThe only thing "Doom" about this game are the classical Imps and Hellknights and a glorified Hell level towards the end, homaging Doom II's art style. Cramped hallway style gameplay that tires after 4 of the 12 hours of gameplay, with the same old tricks of enemies jumping out from secret compartments or darkened corners whilst you tediously search for keycards in order to progress to something more interesting. Even on hard mode you trip over health and ammo which i guess is OK only in the context of the fact that this is DOOM and not a survival horror.

The enemies aren't much of a threat when you realise they can barely hit you when you get inside their shooting arc, but not too close to melee; although i guess most players wont figure that out since they are scarey enough to try to avoid getting too close too. Although they do have this nasty habit of trapping you against a bulkhead and smacking your lower region to pieces just below your FoV which would be annoying if it wasn't for the fact this'll probably be the only time they take seasoned FPS players below 75% HP.

The shotgun is the staple weapon of the game as you will always have ammo for it, unfortunately the infamous BFG feels a little lack luster when you can carry 328 shells but only 38 BFG rounds and it only takes 8 shotgun shells to take out a Hellknight compared to 4 BFG rounds. The BFG was famous for its room clearing capacity but in the extremely linear hallways of DOOM 3 you're more likely to have an enemy marine detonate the round in your face than use it effectively in anything but the rarest of circumstances.

The game would have felt more classical DOOM like if there was more open space to strafe enemies and less time spent dropping into your PDA to read employee emails and audio logs. It's basically DOOM with all the corners cut off and the narrative shoved down your throat.

In the context of its time it is a pretty game and the weapons are generally fun in that you can shoot to your hearts content without fear of needing that ammunition for something important later. There is also a traditional shooter feel in regards to how curiosity is often rewarded, such as the discovery of vents or spaces under stairs hiding some armour shards or ammo or other goodies like easter eggs.

The final boss is a little disappointing however and ironically probably the easiest part of the game. I scored it a little higher than what i felt like because the game has obviously aged in the past 9 years and it deserves a score relative to its release date. The game was OK, but it does just make me want to play the originals.
  29. Jan 2, 2013
    Amazing game. This is a freaking good game with competitive gameplay and a lot of weapons. It was, later, dumbed dom with "Doom 3 BFG Edition". Mind blowing graphics for its time, but which are still good now. Amazing plot. Good longevity. This is a real game. 7/10
  30. Jan 1, 2013
    Must own game even in this age of gaming. Great shooting game that should be played by anyone that calls themselves an FPS fan, but don't think you can handle the graphics? There's a mod for that. Rather have the falshlight on your weapons? There's a mod for that, Want faster-paced gameplay closer to the original Doom? There's a mod for that. Rather have a medieval fantasy setting withMust own game even in this age of gaming. Great shooting game that should be played by anyone that calls themselves an FPS fan, but don't think you can handle the graphics? There's a mod for that. Rather have the falshlight on your weapons? There's a mod for that, Want faster-paced gameplay closer to the original Doom? There's a mod for that. Rather have a medieval fantasy setting with Shield and melee combat? There's a mod for that. Want a completely different, stealth based game a-like to the kinds of Thief, but with better graphics and 100's of community made maps and missions? There's a mod for that. Have a look for some examples here, gamefront.com/5-must-play-doom-3-mods/, and, moddb.com/games/doom-iii, for the examples given and use you trusty friend Google to find out more about these countless mods, many of which can improve any problems you personally have with the game, or that many have with it. I cannot think of a reson you should not buy it.

Have fun
  31. Nov 24, 2012
    Exactly what you expect from the Doom franchise. It's amazing in every way. Anyone complaining about it, is either a moron or has never played the other Doom games.
  32. Nov 23, 2012
    I have to be honest. DOOM3 BEST GAME EVER AND YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING IT RIGHT NOW NOT READING MY REVIEW ARE YOU STUPID WHY AM I WRITING THIS REVIEW I HAVE TO GO PLAY DOOM3 100000000000000000/10 GAME AT LEAST THE GRAPHICS REALLY PLEASURE MY EYES AND THE SOUND MAKES ME CRY FROM HAPPINESS GAMEPLAY GOT MY SOUL ITS AWESOME. ANOTHER SUCCESS FROM id software, our creator and ruler. AND YES THIS ISI have to be honest. DOOM3 BEST GAME EVER AND YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING IT RIGHT NOW NOT READING MY REVIEW ARE YOU STUPID WHY AM I WRITING THIS REVIEW I HAVE TO GO PLAY DOOM3 100000000000000000/10 GAME AT LEAST THE GRAPHICS REALLY PLEASURE MY EYES AND THE SOUND MAKES ME CRY FROM HAPPINESS GAMEPLAY GOT MY SOUL ITS AWESOME. ANOTHER SUCCESS FROM id software, our creator and ruler. AND YES THIS IS SCARY AS HELL! GOT IT? HELL?? heha Expand
  33. Nov 13, 2012
    Doom 3 is graphically phenomenal. The graphics are incredible, even by today's standards. The game is scary- demons will teleport in when you least expect it. The environments are great as well- I loved the utility in activating switches and interacting with computers. These are the strengths- the weaknesses are the repetitive gameplay (when you feel like you should be done with the game,Doom 3 is graphically phenomenal. The graphics are incredible, even by today's standards. The game is scary- demons will teleport in when you least expect it. The environments are great as well- I loved the utility in activating switches and interacting with computers. These are the strengths- the weaknesses are the repetitive gameplay (when you feel like you should be done with the game, you're only halfway through), weak guns (I feel like the weapons had very little oomph to them at all), and storyline (it is nonexistant. You go from point A to point B with no reason for it at all). Doom 3 is great but repetitive. Expand
  34. Oct 26, 2012
    DOOM is a legendary game series. Now in its third major entry the series goes modern. Everyone knows the story to the DOOM games, your a marine who is on a space station when Hell literally breaks loose and its up to you to stop the demons. The gameplay is everything I want in an FPS and the game has an atmosphere so tense that I would almost call it a horror title too. The only gripe IDOOM is a legendary game series. Now in its third major entry the series goes modern. Everyone knows the story to the DOOM games, your a marine who is on a space station when Hell literally breaks loose and its up to you to stop the demons. The gameplay is everything I want in an FPS and the game has an atmosphere so tense that I would almost call it a horror title too. The only gripe I have with it...lack of story, but its DOOM so it cant help it. Expand
  35. Oct 14, 2012
    This game scared the hell out of me in 2004 with my bada$$ setup and speakers. I couldn't even finish it because I was a baby, and the BFG edition still has the same great scary atmosphere after all these years! Can't wait until Doom 4!!!!!
  36. Aug 18, 2012
    One of the most excitin games I have ever played! The only problem I had was the dark setting. Given the length of the game, the darkness became somewhat tedious. All in all, great weapons, challenging enemies, and many surprises.
  37. Aug 5, 2012
    I played for a total of 3 hours and stopped. Had no interest to play again. Great Graphics but not enough exploring feature to engauge the player. Seems ike a beef up graphics of the orginial story.
  38. May 20, 2012
    Creators of Doom 3 never even played DooM 1 and DooM 2 and I dont want to talk about how and why Doom 1 and 2 are one of the best games ever created. DooM 3 in nothing like them the game is to Hollywood and try to be more serious trying to combine genres, the game speed is 5 times more slower then doom 1 and 2 for example, where is magic? fast gameplay? red blue keys? strange magic andCreators of Doom 3 never even played DooM 1 and DooM 2 and I dont want to talk about how and why Doom 1 and 2 are one of the best games ever created. DooM 3 in nothing like them the game is to Hollywood and try to be more serious trying to combine genres, the game speed is 5 times more slower then doom 1 and 2 for example, where is magic? fast gameplay? red blue keys? strange magic and gothic design the game sold out to hollywood kids just as Quake 4, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 Fun - 1/10
    Gameplay - 2/10
    Music - 0/10
    Replayability - 0/10
    Graphics for its time - 0/10
  39. Mar 12, 2012
    Doom 3 is, and always will be, one of my favourite shooters around. It is very scary (no wonder it was packaged with a disclaimer to keep the volume down at night), as you can never see the enemies coming. The shooting is tough but fun, and is addictive to play. The graphics are good (the brains popping out are a little disturbing) and the story is simple but that isn't what Doom is allDoom 3 is, and always will be, one of my favourite shooters around. It is very scary (no wonder it was packaged with a disclaimer to keep the volume down at night), as you can never see the enemies coming. The shooting is tough but fun, and is addictive to play. The graphics are good (the brains popping out are a little disturbing) and the story is simple but that isn't what Doom is all about. Hopefully Doom 4 will be an excellent sequel in an excellent franchise. Expand
  40. Jan 29, 2012
    It has good graphics, but that is it!
    The gameplay sucks, you have to reload and you can't see a bloody thing!
    Wanna play a doom game? Buy Ultimate Doom and learn dosbox!
  41. Jan 8, 2012
    6 years on this game still has some of the best visuals and sound around. Level design is gorgeous and interesting with countless creative touches and detail. Sound quality is also excellent and quite spooky. The monsters are fun to fight and a few parts made me jump in my seat, although they are a little too easy. I understand some people getting bored with it after a few levels but6 years on this game still has some of the best visuals and sound around. Level design is gorgeous and interesting with countless creative touches and detail. Sound quality is also excellent and quite spooky. The monsters are fun to fight and a few parts made me jump in my seat, although they are a little too easy. I understand some people getting bored with it after a few levels but overall it was a rewarding experience and one of my favorites. Expand
  42. Nov 30, 2011
    Doom 3 fails is every aspect except graphics. But eye candy does not make a game great. The weapons are underpowered, demons spawning behind you gets old, very old, no ability to explore the surface of the planet, maps are confusing with lots of backtracking. In case id does not know, having to find a key to open a door is lame. That style of game might have been ok in the 1900s, butDoom 3 fails is every aspect except graphics. But eye candy does not make a game great. The weapons are underpowered, demons spawning behind you gets old, very old, no ability to explore the surface of the planet, maps are confusing with lots of backtracking. In case id does not know, having to find a key to open a door is lame. That style of game might have been ok in the 1900s, but today its just a dumb idea. If you want to play a real doom game, go play the Ultimate Doom. Expand
  43. Nov 14, 2011
    I won't say it's a Game of the Year, but definitely worth to play. Great atmosphere and sound effect make every dark corner a source of fear. The graphic was outstanding even by today's standard. I love how it feel and sound when I use my shotgun to kill a devil, very satisfying. This was some id's classical great work during the old days and must give a try.
  44. Nov 13, 2011
    Trapped on that Hellish world known as Mars, which is in fact, under siege by the forces of hell, Doom guy finds himself in a bit of a pickle; all of the his companions are dead, and he has a machine gun. Getting right down to the point, Doom 3 is a great game, even with present day games, I find it harder and harder to find a game that has great action, and one that is also a challenge,Trapped on that Hellish world known as Mars, which is in fact, under siege by the forces of hell, Doom guy finds himself in a bit of a pickle; all of the his companions are dead, and he has a machine gun. Getting right down to the point, Doom 3 is a great game, even with present day games, I find it harder and harder to find a game that has great action, and one that is also a challenge, and Doom 3 was quite challenging. The story for Doom 3, it wasn't bad, but it certainly doesn't stand out , but you don't really play Doom for the story, you play it to kill demons! This is a game where monsters are plentiful, but medpacks are not, a game that makes you fight for any kind of reward, with no regenerating health. However, This is not a horror game, although the developers wanted to put a horror twist into the game, when it comes right down to it, not everyone will be scared by this game, although I sure was, this game kept me tense most of the way through, and although I could predict a few scares, it just depends on what scares you. All i can say is, this is a great shooter, and although the enemy AI has it's flaws, the large amount of enemy variety has always kept this game fresh for me, I would highly recommend Doom 3 for anyone who wants a fun and addictive shooter game. The game does make me a bit mad that you have to beat the game in order to unlock the night mare difficulty. but what ever : P Expand
  45. Nov 9, 2011
    User Interface 8/10
    Sounds 7/10
    Music 4/10
  46. Nov 3, 2011
    Good Doom action, lenghty game (over 20 hours). The action gets exhaustive later in the game, there's too little varying, seeing same kind of corridors over and over again. Still, I enjoyed this game but it does lack those memorable moments you always remember afterwards like some parts of HL.
  47. Oct 26, 2011
    Let me get this out of the way, just so many of you are clear on the fact. A generic shooter IS NOT A BAD shooter, it simply means that that is really the focus of the game, as it is with 90% of all top-quality shooters today (even CoD can be called a generic shooter). This games is incredibly scary throughout its expanse, sure it uses cheap monster-door tricks, but that only helps keepLet me get this out of the way, just so many of you are clear on the fact. A generic shooter IS NOT A BAD shooter, it simply means that that is really the focus of the game, as it is with 90% of all top-quality shooters today (even CoD can be called a generic shooter). This games is incredibly scary throughout its expanse, sure it uses cheap monster-door tricks, but that only helps keep you on your toes and the situation tense. They are not spammed as some reviews mention and are sometimes easy to spot as they lay next to an essential healthkit, but in what it strives to do, it succeeds and dominates all competition. Ground breaking graphics for its time and still okay even now in 2011, it provides one with some of the most intense and nerve-wrecking experiences possible in a horror focused shooter. The level design can become tedious towards the end but you'll be to busy trying to survive and scavenging for health and ammo caches to even notice. It has a great length for the asking price and what I consider to be one of the scariest and intense games of all time. The immersion, audio and monster design are top-notch, the voice acting may seem iffy at times but this is so few and far between it really doesn't affect you. And lastly the story, which unfolds through cut-scenes and the many hundreds of emails and audio logs you come across in the game and are as a whole expertly executed. I truly recommend this to anyone looking for a good scare mixed with some great classic shooting and a deep story, all the while surrounded by one of the most immersive environments ever designed. Expand
  48. Sep 29, 2011
    One of my favorite semi-classic FPS. First off, it's id software, the engine they have created is perfect. Unified shadows, and a new Doom. Beaufitul, period.
  49. Sep 27, 2011
    Having completed Doom 3 twice on Xbox and once on PC, I'd give it a solid 9. In my opinion one of the better FPS games around. Doom 3 is very intense and atmospheric and would keep you on the edge from start to finish. Should you let your guard down for a second and an enemy would pop out of nowhere and damage you greatly. Doom 3 manages to place enemies in all the right spots. Even laterHaving completed Doom 3 twice on Xbox and once on PC, I'd give it a solid 9. In my opinion one of the better FPS games around. Doom 3 is very intense and atmospheric and would keep you on the edge from start to finish. Should you let your guard down for a second and an enemy would pop out of nowhere and damage you greatly. Doom 3 manages to place enemies in all the right spots. Even later on into the game once you get used to monsters doing that, it still manages to make you jump. With some FPS games all you do is just shoot as many monsters coming your way as fast as you possibly can. No brain cells involved, just let all the ammo loose. *coughPainkillercough* With Doom 3 it's not like that. Enemies come out at unexpected moments, they ambush you, they actually use various attacks (as opposed to just plainly charging head on towards you). Now admittedly Doom 3 can get repetitive, because majority of areas and levels look very much alike. However the game at least puts effort in varying the gameplay slightly by introducing new monsters every now and then, which get tougher further into the game, and also you find a lot of new guns, such as minigun, plasma gun, rocket launcher, chainsaw and even the good ol BFG. And all this is done in fantastic graphics, which are truly mindblowing, managing to engross you. Apart from just going and shooting monsters, you do need to pay attention to things such as PDAs which you pick up from dead guards and scientists, and read through the emails and listen to audio logs, for they often have valuable information, such as cabinet codes and such. Although mostly linear, and lacking in bonus content, Doom 3 is still a solid game. Expand
  50. Sep 19, 2011
    The first couple of levels scared me a bit. But then the game just dragged on. All of the environments look the same, the guns feel akward, and the scares just turn silly. Also, if your going to make a game where it is incredibly dark, be sure to add night vision, not a flash light that you have to hold instead of a weapon.
  51. Sep 4, 2011
    My review and score is based entirely on the singleplayer portion of the game.

My review and score is based entirely on the singleplayer portion of the game.

Doom 3 both has a lot in common with previous Doom games and differs in other areas. In terms of similarities, like its predecessors, Doom 3 features a great arsenal of the familiar weapons used against a variety of pure evil enemies. Players will often find themselves searching for that key (or in Doom 3's case, PDA) in order to unlock that nagging door and progress through the game. Unlike previous Doom games, players in Doom 3 will fight far fewer enemies at once, level design is incredibly cramped and far more linear, and the game attempts to deliver (somewhat successfully) more substance in terms of story.

id really likes to show off their new engine in this game, too - especially the lighting effects. Every room you enter is either dimly lit or pitch black. Computer screens or impressive industrial technology in the background often provide the only illumination. You have a flashlight, but equipping it to see what's going on means you can't use any weapons. Switch back to your weapons and depending on how well lit the area is it's like fighting blind folded. Constantly switching between your flashlight and weapons got so annoying I downloaded a mod that adds a narrower beam flashlight to the shotgun and assault rifle. I felt this provided a nice balance between the tense atmosphere the developers were going for and actually being able to see what the hell was going on.

Along the way, you can interact with various screens and keypads. PDAs along the way may contain codes for storage lockers for those careful enough to scour the emails and audio logs. These PDAs also advance the story as you gain slivers of information in piecing together the already painfully obvious plot. While it isn't necessary to read or listen to everything you come across, it helps you fill in some gaps when considering the big picture.

Exploring every inch of the levels often triggers secret doors or walls revealing secret items and enemies alike. In fact, entering a new area almost always triggers some sort of trap behind your back where a possessed worker will attempt to sneak up on you or some demon will teleport in. Rather than appearing in hordes, enemies in Doom 3 often appear in waves. Dispatch two or three enemies, and a few more will usually appear. Eventually, you defeat them all and are able to advance. This does not describe every encounter, as sometimes encounters will only trigger if you explore certain areas and enemies can also be found in plain sight. But the lack of variety often becomes tedious. When you look behind you after hearing that demon teleport sound or door opening, the process becomes formulaic rather than tense or genuinely frightening as it does the first few times. The enemies are familiar to anyone who has played a Doom game before with a few exceptions. The pacing is good and the shooting is fun, but the level design and nature of the encounters gets repetitive to the point of being irritating. If you can see past the overdone darkness gimmick and super cramped rooms you'll have a good time blowing heads off bodies like I did. But once the ride's over, there's little redeeming value aside from a Nightmare run for masochistic.
  52. Aug 30, 2011
    This game was just plain not fun. The first hour of gameplay can get pretty tense, and was flat-out awesome. After the demo levels are over though, you start to realize "Wait a second, have I just seen everything this game has to offer?" It's only once that sinking feeling sets in your stomach that you realize you wasted your money. This game has gorgeous graphics (especially for theThis game was just plain not fun. The first hour of gameplay can get pretty tense, and was flat-out awesome. After the demo levels are over though, you start to realize "Wait a second, have I just seen everything this game has to offer?" It's only once that sinking feeling sets in your stomach that you realize you wasted your money. This game has gorgeous graphics (especially for the time), horrendously underwhelming guns (they sound like toys, seriously), insanely frustrating enemies (whoever designed the screen to shake like a paint-mixer every time you're hit needs to be fired. Like communism, it's an interesting idea that just plain doesn't pan out), and let's not forget the ol' Monster-In-The-Closet trick. If there's ammo or armor on the floor, there's seriously a 95% chance a monster will jump out of the wall to attack. It's so ridiculously predictable that you start to plan out which wall you think they will come out of when you pick up the stuff. This game had a lot of potential to be scary, but playing it annoyed me so much that I was beyond scaring. I did complete it though, against my better judgement. Expand
  53. Jul 25, 2011
    I remember this was amazing-looking when it first came out and actually the lighting and environments are still brilliant, the opening when all hell breaks loose (literally) still makes me jump at times. I recommend playing Doom 3 late at night with all the lights turned off, at full volume on headphones (try it), somehow the game gets ten times better. Doesn't hold up well to most modernI remember this was amazing-looking when it first came out and actually the lighting and environments are still brilliant, the opening when all hell breaks loose (literally) still makes me jump at times. I recommend playing Doom 3 late at night with all the lights turned off, at full volume on headphones (try it), somehow the game gets ten times better. Doesn't hold up well to most modern FPS titles but it's a great benchmark in the evolution of the genre, as is its predecessor. Expand
  54. Jul 5, 2011
    I have to be honest here i didn't like the game i liked the classic better there was no story just killing demons. anyway it was a good attempt so i have to give them some credit hopefully doom 4 will be better.
  55. Jun 12, 2011
    Good shooter, unfortunetly sometimes too hard, which leads you to play same level 50 times. It create awsome atmosphere of dark and scary Mars base with monsters and other mysteries. Graphics is good, with awsome shading and shadows, as well models. Unfortunetly often textures are of poor quality. It is also unacassarly too linear, if there is any non-linearity, then if you choise one ofGood shooter, unfortunetly sometimes too hard, which leads you to play same level 50 times. It create awsome atmosphere of dark and scary Mars base with monsters and other mysteries. Graphics is good, with awsome shading and shadows, as well models. Unfortunetly often textures are of poor quality. It is also unacassarly too linear, if there is any non-linearity, then if you choise one of the way, you will definietly will need to go back and go using "good" path, somehow stupid. Expand
  56. Apr 30, 2011
    I don't mean to be a gushing fanboy, but Doom 3, in my opinion, is the best PC FPS I have ever played (next to the original Quake) and certainly the best looking also. The plot is the same as every Doom before it, you play as a nameless space marine who must make it out alive after the demons of hell overrun the base you reside in. What follows are scary moments, epic boss battles and aI don't mean to be a gushing fanboy, but Doom 3, in my opinion, is the best PC FPS I have ever played (next to the original Quake) and certainly the best looking also. The plot is the same as every Doom before it, you play as a nameless space marine who must make it out alive after the demons of hell overrun the base you reside in. What follows are scary moments, epic boss battles and a sh*tload of guns to play around with. The folks at ID really pulled out all the stops on this one, and serve up a game that entertains just as much as it frightens. One of my favorite games of all time. Expand
  57. Mar 26, 2011
    This title was pretty controversial when it came out. Not because of the content, but because of te quality: many said that the final product failed to meet their expectations. This hwever was not the case with me. Furthermore, i consider it one of the best FPS games there is: I Actually still play it, so its up there with Quake and Doom 1. The graphics are lovely, and even though they noThis title was pretty controversial when it came out. Not because of the content, but because of te quality: many said that the final product failed to meet their expectations. This hwever was not the case with me. Furthermore, i consider it one of the best FPS games there is: I Actually still play it, so its up there with Quake and Doom 1. The graphics are lovely, and even though they no longer are as breathtaking as they were 7 years ago when the game came out, they still may impress. The game is painfully linear, but that's something I'm willing to look over for the sake of a good time spent playing. Expand
  58. Jan 10, 2011
    This game may be repetitive but its still enjoyable. For the time it must of had some very good graphics. The story could of been better but the dialogue is just ok. This is good game worth checking out.
  59. Dec 12, 2010
    After replaying this game, it has stricken me yet again just how masterful id Software is at crafting no-excuses video games. They took a simply story, tried and true since 1993, and crafted such a fantastically detailed, depressingly immersive world around it that you will understand exactly why the pioneer of the modern video game experience spent a full five years working on it. A lotAfter replaying this game, it has stricken me yet again just how masterful id Software is at crafting no-excuses video games. They took a simply story, tried and true since 1993, and crafted such a fantastically detailed, depressingly immersive world around it that you will understand exactly why the pioneer of the modern video game experience spent a full five years working on it. A lot of soul was poured into this game, with expansive, breathtaking, claustrophobic levels that clock in at nearly a day's worth of playtime -- not something that can be said of the shooters of 2010.

While the antics of a deranged scientist might not be all that deep an contemplative, and while the scares might sometimes come across as cheap and closet-popping, the action for the last two-thirds of the game is absolutely frantic and paced very much like the Doom we all loved, while the demonic invasion pulls you in with no apologies for its themes. From the poorly-lit blood-soaked halls of the Delta Labs, to the awe-inspiring swathes of Martian landscape traversed on the Monorail, to the distinctly otherplanar and highly disturbing realm of Hell itself, there truly is no substitute for the world Doom 3 pulls you into with the crushing grip of a Hellknight.

If you use a flashlight mod for your weapons, or complain about the stifling darkness of the locales, you really are missing the point. This is Mars, suffering a demonic invasion. If you want a well-lit seizure-inducing action-packed experience, the Call of Duty series might be for you. For the rest of us, this dark, disturbing romp will suffice.
  60. Nov 23, 2010
    It is a game that you either love, or hate; and to me, it still holds up to this day. I can never get bored of it; maybe it makes me a freak in the gaming community. Gorgeous artwork, that if you invest the effort into to get 1440 by 900 resolution (or higher) working along with max settings, that really holds up even to this day despite it's somewhat retro status. Solid shooting elementsIt is a game that you either love, or hate; and to me, it still holds up to this day. I can never get bored of it; maybe it makes me a freak in the gaming community. Gorgeous artwork, that if you invest the effort into to get 1440 by 900 resolution (or higher) working along with max settings, that really holds up even to this day despite it's somewhat retro status. Solid shooting elements are complimented by near perfect pacing for each combat encounter in each room as you progress; accented by scary sound effects, and stellar sound design. The only flaw with the game is the horrid multiplayer, somewhat lackluster storyline, and the effort it takes to get the game to run on higher resolutions; you'll find the solution to THAT one is easier than you think! Otherwise, this game stands out in my Steam library as a true classic regardless of the divided Doom fan base and it's opinions on this game. Expand
  61. Oct 9, 2010
    Good graphics amazingly boring gameplay campaign storyline and i don't get scared by a mutant jumping on my face.
  62. Oct 4, 2010
    While not as classy and genre defining as the original, Doom 3 contains a rich scary atmosphere, outstanding visuals and creepy sound effects. It's just a shame about the actual gameplay and the horrible multiplayer. But for a Doom fan this is a must.
  63. Sep 21, 2010
    Awesome visuals, terrifying environment make it the best horror FPS game till date. Darkness in the game is just perfect to engross you. The game also has a great repeat value.
  64. Sep 21, 2010
    I loved playing this game, It was really scary and really in your face. It tries to scare you in the game by popping out instead of the chills down your spine scary you get in the F.E.A.R Series. It has alot of erie moments in the game. I loved all the detail they put in the game. It was one of my favorite. It is a must buy for any FPS shooter fan. Get it and you wont regret it!!
  65. DazX
    Jan 10, 2010
    Scary, fun, José Luccioni on french voiceovers (xD), I can't think of anything bad in this game. I never met any bug, glitch or anything. The game's beautiful, even nowadays, AND fun as hell.
  66. KestasK
    Jan 4, 2010
    First time I saw the demo it seemed like more of a tech demo than an actual game, but I recently got it cheap and decided to give it an honest go. It is produced very well, the story isn't just an excuse for the game to happen but is done very well. "Hell breaks loose on a Mars research outpost" sounds cliche, but they really run with it. It is scary, but only in the way Doom I&II First time I saw the demo it seemed like more of a tech demo than an actual game, but I recently got it cheap and decided to give it an honest go. It is produced very well, the story isn't just an excuse for the game to happen but is done very well. "Hell breaks loose on a Mars research outpost" sounds cliche, but they really run with it. It is scary, but only in the way Doom I&II were. The gameplay, enemies, and weapons are all very much like previous Doom games, as is the level design. The basic concepts behind Doom have been hugely modernized, some extras added to enrich the story, but really it's Doom gameplay executed brilliantly for mid-late 2000s hardware. If that appeals to you you should have already checked it out by now, if it doesn't then avoid, but either way this doesn't deserve the people who say this is just a tech demo, it really is a proper game. Expand
  67. DavidS.
    Oct 7, 2009
    You know, I didn't pay full price for this game, so maybe my opinion is biased, but I'm actually having quite a lot of fun. It's not Penumbra: Overture terrifying, but the atmosphere is tense. The weapons aren't anything terribly unique, but they are actually quite well designed with nice little details (for instance, the SMG will leave smoke hovering in the air if You know, I didn't pay full price for this game, so maybe my opinion is biased, but I'm actually having quite a lot of fun. It's not Penumbra: Overture terrifying, but the atmosphere is tense. The weapons aren't anything terribly unique, but they are actually quite well designed with nice little details (for instance, the SMG will leave smoke hovering in the air if fired for an extended period of time). The actual action was, in my opinion, very fun and visceral. Although more destructible environments would have been a plus, and corpses staying on the ground after dying would have been nice too, I think I actually prefer the combat in Doom 3 to the combat in FEAR (yes, I said it). If you want an experience more akin to the original Dooms, pick up the amazing game 'Painkiller'. But if you want an evolved version of Doom, this is a great game to play. Expand
  68. Doomed
    Jul 12, 2009
    Doom 3 is absolutely great just as it's expansion pack Resurrection of Evil. I thought this game was so outstanding until I played System Shock 2 and I found that the similarities we pretty evident. I don't view Doom 3 as a rip-off of System Shock 2 because the gameplay is so different. The gameplay in System Shock 2 is very complex while the gameplay in Doom 3 is rather just Doom 3 is absolutely great just as it's expansion pack Resurrection of Evil. I thought this game was so outstanding until I played System Shock 2 and I found that the similarities we pretty evident. I don't view Doom 3 as a rip-off of System Shock 2 because the gameplay is so different. The gameplay in System Shock 2 is very complex while the gameplay in Doom 3 is rather just plain old school (at least the hero has been given the ability to jump!). I love both Doom 3 and System Shock 2 because they're great science fiction horror games. The old Doom games just suck. They're so old now and the only really memorable old shooters are Duke Nukem 3D and Blood. Doom 3 actually made me love a game from the Doom series. The game has superb graphics and sound - and these create a terryfying atmosphere. The new updated monster designs are just high quality and some monsters have been completely altered (like the hell knight). The imp I remember from the old games was just a pixelated brown thing that threw fireballs, but now it's a creepy beast that scares the shit out of me. The four bosses include a female spider mutant, a dragon who's actually blind and needs small "searchers" to navigate, a grotesque half flesh and half machine tank carrying a BFG and at the end you'll meet the boss you maybe already know: the cyber demon. I really recommend this game to everyone who loves first person shooters because this game is definitely worth the experience. I think [abc def] is pretty right with his statements. Give this game a try! Expand
  69. abcdef
    Jan 6, 2009
    OK this a more a review on these user reviews than Doom 3. First I think I should clear up a few things, as many of these user reviews are entirely wrong. So wrong in fact that it seems as if they've played another game, couldn't remember its name and then for some reason come to the conclusion that the game that they played was called Doom 3. For example, Andy D mentions a OK this a more a review on these user reviews than Doom 3. First I think I should clear up a few things, as many of these user reviews are entirely wrong. So wrong in fact that it seems as if they've played another game, couldn't remember its name and then for some reason come to the conclusion that the game that they played was called Doom 3. For example, Andy D mentions a level where you go to heaven and become an angel. Don't know what he's talking about as there's no such level. Benjamin L mentions a gravity gun. That's in the game's expansion pack and not in the game itself. He also complains that there's only one boss in the entire game, which is ridiculous considering that there's 4 very distinct bosses and some encounters which can be considered mini-boss battles. The list of inaccuracies goes on, as people who claim to have only played the game for 15 minutes reckon they can review it. I reckon it takes a while to really get into any game. Doom 3 is a very repetitive and basic FPS and it's not all that scary but it does have an eerie and tense environment and some very good moments. Most Doom fans wanted to see their favourite child hood game remade and that's exactly what ID have done and they've accomplished this very well. It allows fans to play the original Doom games but now it looks and plays much better. If Doom 3 had an extensive plot and a set of new weapons all with alternative ammo and firing modes it still would have been canned by gamers for destroying the Doom franchise. If you gave this game a 0 its because you don't like FPS horror survival games...so if you're not a fan of the genre why are you playing and reviewing this game. If you are fan of this genre and gave it a 0 then there's something wrong considering that this is much more fun than most horror survival FPS' and has a far simpler plot than all the others which attempt stories which are usually convoluted or undeveloped, like F.E.A.R or Condemned. Expand
  70. KyleS
    Dec 24, 2008
    This game was amazing for it's time. Even today I play it. You can make the game change to any resolution to anything you want through the .cfg files but a lot of people didn't know that so it was hard to change it. It does support 5.1 Surround sound witch comes in handy for people with surround sounds. It actually makes the game scary because you know were they are but cant This game was amazing for it's time. Even today I play it. You can make the game change to any resolution to anything you want through the .cfg files but a lot of people didn't know that so it was hard to change it. It does support 5.1 Surround sound witch comes in handy for people with surround sounds. It actually makes the game scary because you know were they are but cant find them to realize they will jump out into your face. The weapons didn't look the best but still had some good choices. The adventure of finding PDA's to get into doors made it more then just a run a shoot game. The light though is the problem. Running around with a flashlight then having to switch back into another weapon made it hard but wasn't a total disaster. Over all a good games with some little miner flaws. Expand
  71. AlexD.
    Nov 2, 2008
    This game is an icon. The first trully next-gen title. It knows 16:9 screen aspect ratio, it also knows 4:3; it can do correct 5.1 sound, one cand set the controls as one pleases, and can easily change the field of view. It's a PC game, a game played on a controller with a hundred buttons, and it's well aware of that. The story isn't something new, just plain old cheap This game is an icon. The first trully next-gen title. It knows 16:9 screen aspect ratio, it also knows 4:3; it can do correct 5.1 sound, one cand set the controls as one pleases, and can easily change the field of view. It's a PC game, a game played on a controller with a hundred buttons, and it's well aware of that. The story isn't something new, just plain old cheap scare; the idea is that you'll be so scared while playing, due to the proper use of the 3D video and audio engine, that you'll want out of the grim Mars environment depicted. Excellent use of lighting and positional sound, with eerie effects, good intuitive control, and memorable jump-off-your-seat corridor fights. A must get. Expand
  72. GeorgeL
    Oct 26, 2008
    I love video games. If I don't, I wouldn't be writing this review right now. But overall, I have never experienced a game where I say that it's scary. I've played games that were awesome, but seldom do I even describe the game as scary. After Doom 3 came out, however, things suddenly changed. I heard from some friends that the game was just a freaking scary game I love video games. If I don't, I wouldn't be writing this review right now. But overall, I have never experienced a game where I say that it's scary. I've played games that were awesome, but seldom do I even describe the game as scary. After Doom 3 came out, however, things suddenly changed. I heard from some friends that the game was just a freaking scary game that'll make you crap in your pants. So, being skeptical as always, I decided to try it out. I first downloaded the demo, and after beating that, I went to sleep that night with a chill in my spine. That was the first time I actually felt fear from a video game. I was immediately hooked. I went out, bought a copy, plugged it in, and played. I could never play for more than an hour before the scary, dark atmosphere becomes too much. I took constant breaks. The graphics were great, the audio was exceptional, and overall, the gameplay was just plain unpredictable. Even when I played levels that I played before, I still move hesitantly, because, even though I expect them coming, they still feel frightening after they pop out. Sure, this game could become a really repetitive shooter, but the scary atmosphere and frightenly life like facility make this game one of my favorite First Person Shooters of all time, simply because of the chilling atmosphere and story, as well as the BFG 9000 (personally, my favorite weapon of all time in a video game). Expand
  73. AnonymousMC
    Sep 11, 2008
    One of the most frightening experiences you'll ever encounter in a PC or Xbox game. It should be understood, however, that Doom 3 delivers best in it's single-player and flops in its multiplayer. If you're expecting to relive the good ol' days of Doom's fast-paced, kill-em'-all style, then Doom 3 will disappoint.

Worth playing through at least once, and if

Worth playing through at least once, and if you can handle it...twice.
  74. RodrigoG.
    Sep 7, 2008
    When it comes to show off the power of the id Tech 4 engine, Doom 3 is a triumph. However, it is supposed to be a game, not a tech demo. And as a game, it is terrible. Enemies often spawn in manners that leave the player without a chance of reaction, unless he knows beforehand where they will appear; getting hit is too disorienting, although the enemies do not seem to get disoriented by When it comes to show off the power of the id Tech 4 engine, Doom 3 is a triumph. However, it is supposed to be a game, not a tech demo. And as a game, it is terrible. Enemies often spawn in manners that leave the player without a chance of reaction, unless he knows beforehand where they will appear; getting hit is too disorienting, although the enemies do not seem to get disoriented by the player's fire at all; the weapons take too long to reload, and the enemies take too much fire to die; the whole game is too bleak, repetitive, and frustrating to be enjoyable. One can even wonder if it was developed in the same mindset as the infamous "Takeshi's Challenge" - a game intended, not to amuse, but to frustrate and infuriate. That would make sense, the plot is about a journey into hell after all. Artistic, in a sense, I suppose. Fun? No. Expand
  75. MatthewGoad
    Aug 11, 2008
    It really breathes life back into the Doom series.
  76. MichaelO.
    Jul 15, 2008
    If you like Scary game this game is for YOU It will scare the living out of you.
  77. JarettE.
    Apr 13, 2008
    I have to say i love this game, because it's different, but i was reading the other reviews and some of them were right. The script triggering got annoying and you can kind of tell when your going to trigger something. The only benefit is the fact that the action changes so it keeps a little interesting. I still jump sometimes when i'm playing, mostly because i'm not paying I have to say i love this game, because it's different, but i was reading the other reviews and some of them were right. The script triggering got annoying and you can kind of tell when your going to trigger something. The only benefit is the fact that the action changes so it keeps a little interesting. I still jump sometimes when i'm playing, mostly because i'm not paying attention, and for the best effect just start running through the levels...it works. I like the storyline too, but i wish there was more development of it. The best part though was when you could send or cancel the transmission, which is about the only non-linear part of the game. I think if you have 20 bucks to throw away and want a cheep thrill that lasts a while then buy the game for sure, even if you don't like these types of games. And FYI to the other reviewers the darkness is to make it harder, thats why you have a flashlight, and this is not copying half life it's been around forever...and it's probably as good as half life 2 if not better, and my personal opinion HL2 is really boring compared to this, but probably because it's less interesting and requires more puzzle solving. Expand
  78. Chandu
    Apr 2, 2008
    Doom 3 is a fantastic game, but it might not appeal to everyone. The graphics are brilliant and its one of those few games that can rival the survival horror games to be found on the console.
  79. TimC.
    Apr 2, 2008
    An excellent reworking of a much loved classic. Weapons, enemies and level design are reminiscent to the old series of games, beautifully created the game generates a tense and gritty atmosphere of horror which will keep the player on the edge of the seat until the end. Once again ID show us that they are the leading developers of FPS's. Brilliant.
  80. Razot1
    Mar 26, 2008
    i have to say that it is a great environment but it is far to boring. I'm waking through the game , to dark to see shit listening to crap noises made my the zombies. it is very annoying trying to shoot something you cant see. the game would probably be 10 times better if it were brighter.
  81. PaulL.
    Mar 15, 2008
    Many say it defined a genre from day 1, and that is still true and frankly, I don't see it changing for many years to come.
  82. KevinD.
    Mar 2, 2008
    This game was, the atmospheres playing it at night with headphone on was creepy and playing it on nightmare trying to kill the last boss was indeed hard.
  83. AgulH.
    Feb 28, 2008
    The graphics of this game were groundbraking. But I don't like the graphical Style in this game. But still this game is made to scare you. And it will. At least if you have a good Soundcard. The Music is brilliant and the Sounds are excellent.
  84. ChrisC.
    Feb 21, 2008
    Awesome graphics. Amazingly dark, fear-drenched atmosphere. And fun. The set-pieces, while VERY repetitive, are fun to carry through nonetheless, with extremely visceral, "Oh my God how did I survive that" combat against some scary demons. Some of the most detailed level design ever, with a Martian-facility theme that manages to pump out some very unique, distinguishable locales. A great Awesome graphics. Amazingly dark, fear-drenched atmosphere. And fun. The set-pieces, while VERY repetitive, are fun to carry through nonetheless, with extremely visceral, "Oh my God how did I survive that" combat against some scary demons. Some of the most detailed level design ever, with a Martian-facility theme that manages to pump out some very unique, distinguishable locales. A great game, scary and epic the first time through. Remember to turn the lights off, close the blinds, crank up the 5.1, and be ready to crap your pants! Expand
  85. RobertB.
    Feb 2, 2008
    Easily the best game for its time.
  86. Mine
    Feb 1, 2008
    Boring and dull game. The only color is black. Senseless game.
  87. SayreS.
    Jan 4, 2008
    Too dark, maybe I'm being harsh but, did not play game for more then 5 minutes and shut it off.
  88. VictorU.
    Dec 1, 2007
    It has an awesome atmosphere and a unique style of gameplay.
  89. WilliamT.
    Nov 9, 2007
    While it lacks most of the crazy blastiness that its forefathers so rightly hold, Doom 3 is still a game you should invest in. Not particulary scary or innovative but when you are shooting demons from Hell, it doesn't have to be.
  90. AnonymousMC
    Nov 1, 2007
    I don't know what is ppl thinking, this game owns
    When doom 1 got out, it was principally to scare people, in 1990 , when it got out, people got scared with those bloody demons trying to kill you.
    I don't know what is ppl thinking, this game owns

Doom 3 has fucken great graphics, which it makes it more scary / creepy. It has all the elements to have panic when demons getting near. People were talking about the story, who the hell cares the story? This game was made to SCARE, understand? Scare u moronish shit, Its quite long too. And for people that thinks that this is repetitive and doom 2 not.... dunno what happen to em.
    I would give a 10 to this game, but i just give 10 to games that REALLY impact me
  91. JoumanJ.
    Aug 29, 2007
    Amazing game.
  92. AnonymousMC
    Aug 29, 2007
    As other fellow users have already pointed out, this game can be seen as an example of what is wrong with the contemporary video game industry. Why do some think this is scary? You move, trigger a script, and ZAP! ONE Monster spawns before you, ready to be blasted into oblivion (After playing for some time, I always knew where I´d trigger a script). If you stand still, no script isAs other fellow users have already pointed out, this game can be seen as an example of what is wrong with the contemporary video game industry. Why do some think this is scary? You move, trigger a script, and ZAP! ONE Monster spawns before you, ready to be blasted into oblivion (After playing for some time, I always knew where I´d trigger a script). If you stand still, no script is triggered, nothing happens. Why were Doom 1 and 2 so fun to play? Oh yeah, because there was a ****load of creatures just waiting to be slaughtered in every friggin´ room! But no, today it´s all graphics and no substance. It is crystal clear that id was forced to release a game with superior (Are they even really superior to other games in that genre? I don´t know and I don´t really care much about that aspect) graphics, but at what price? I want to kill hordes of monsters, not just one or two (I believe there were five at maximum) at a time! I miss monster infighting! I miss the fun! What about replay value? Would anyone play through this whole experience again? Crawling through extremely repetitive, dark levels is not my idea of enjoying a game. I played through it once, uninstalled, and in the corner with the game. It would have to be the last game on earth before I´d consider reinstalling. Another classic franchise ruined, replay value is simply non-existent. That game so wants to be a Half-life but it ends up being a franchise-ruining dreck. Expand
  93. AnonymousMC
    Aug 26, 2007
    idiots... You people are saying Graphics arent as good as quake 4 and hl2 well duh. Doom 3 came out in 2003, hl2came out in 04 with a new engine, and quake 4 in 05 and its the doom 3 engine so it wont be much of a change, It was exciting at first, but than the game does the same thing over and over. But a fun game
  94. MatthewB.
    Aug 26, 2007
    Damn fun game. One of the creepiest atmospheres ever in a video game.
  95. jpkkez
    Aug 24, 2007
    Good graphics but everythings so clunky and the only fights is someting jumps out of a dark corner not very fun.
  96. PeterB.
    Aug 21, 2007
    While somewhat repetitive, Doom 3 not only has a great atmosphere but, like every id game, has helped move the technology bar higher in gaming.
  97. RodrigoK.
    Aug 14, 2007
    It's a great game, great athmosphere. Doom 3 don't pretend to be inovative or revolutionary, just fun and it does!
  98. Pete
    Aug 11, 2007
    Great game, just need to have more and updated online content.
  99. AnthonyO.
    Aug 10, 2007
    Before I say anything let me inform you that I have been an ID follower since Wolfenstein 3D and I don't mean since I first played it I mean since it's release. So you can imagine my excitement when Doom 3 came out. I basically got a new pc for the sole purpose of playing massive amounts of Doom 3 and future games. When I first played D3, I was blown away. I couldn't Before I say anything let me inform you that I have been an ID follower since Wolfenstein 3D and I don't mean since I first played it I mean since it's release. So you can imagine my excitement when Doom 3 came out. I basically got a new pc for the sole purpose of playing massive amounts of Doom 3 and future games. When I first played D3, I was blown away. I couldn't believe that the graphics were so incredible, and at first the gameplay seemed fantastic and mind blowing. I got scared out of my mind playing the first time and when playing again on veteran almost crapped myself a few times. Here comes the turn in my review. After playing the game through once and playing a few times and having the gloss fade off of my long awaited ID games fix, I realized the game for what it is. A large dissappointment to the Doom franchise and to ID games also. Sure the graphics kick ass, the guns are cool, and the game scares the bejeezus out of you, but that's pretty much it when it comes to depth. The plot had my held captive till about half way through when I started to completely ignore my PDA. Unlike Doom 1 and 2 I NEVER EVER had trouble finding where to go, and also unlike it's predescesors secrets that were required to progress through the level were nonexistant. I mean I still enjoyed progressing through the interesting areas of the base they designed but when i'd get to a new area I wouldn't really feel a sense of accomplishment. I am really torn when reviewing this game because part of me loves it and still plays it, but the biggest thing with me is that I would love it SO much more if it was released under a totally different name than the Doom franchise. Also WTF happened to Flynn Peter Taggart!?!?! Being a massive Doom nerd I even read all the books and became even more attached to our bloody-faced hero from D1 and 2 but then he is completely forgotten about in this game! Before I end my review the last thing I will say is this game would have gotten at least another point from me if it had an earth stage. I know that based on the plot that wouldn't make sense but being that the plot was shallow and unsubmersive I would have preffered they change the plot to cater for this. I still recommend the game after all of this simple because it is the ONLY game/movie/piece of media that has the ability to actually scare me. Also I find that the multiplayer can be very fun but certainly nothing new and does not even come close to the action available in DoD and CS. Again recommended but keep in mind this will not give you that fantastic feel the first time you played Doom 1. Hell when Doom 2 came out I felt more excited and they just threw in a few more monsters and a SINGLE new weapon that although useful was visually unspectacular. Just goes to show how far level creation can go. Expand
  100. SomeBody
    Aug 10, 2007
    This is awesome! I'm a hardcore fan of the DooM series, and I think this lives up to that legacy. I couldn't care less if it was "revolutionary", because a game could have ultra-new crap and still suck (look at Halo :() A fun romp.

1. The graphics are amazing (mind you, even on a mediocre system), the sound is amazing (if you don’t have a 5.1 system yet, consider it), and the game is downright scary.
  2. DOOM 3 smashes through all the hype and delivers a grand slam of action, story, atmosphere, and pure terror.
  3. So perfectly constructed, so deliciously immersive and downright elegant, that demands for more seem crass. It might not be the very best shooter out there, but it's the more visually stunning and successfully atmospheric than any game we've had the pleasure to play.