9.3

1. Feb 11, 2014
    Reviewing this only with the BRUTAL DOOM-Mod: With this installed DOOM 1 & 2 easily wipes the floor with all these call-of-cover-based-quick-time-event-trashcans out there! STILL unmatched! EVERYTHING fits perfectly into the delightful gameplay: Fast movement-speed, the weaponry has some PUNCH in it, adrenaline-pumping gameplay and the MOD adds even more to the supreme Guru of all shooters!
    - Enemies are more aggressive
    - thousand new animations
    - Finishing moves
    - better visuals (oh the eye-candy!)
    - explosions are definitely more devastating
    - gibs and gore everywhere
    - enemies and bulletholes stay in the map. lying scattered around.
    WHAT modern game does have this today?
    Not one comes in my mind!
    - tear the hellspawns a new A*hole together withs some friends in COOP!!!
    -better Sound-design
    -a very active mod-community!

Still unmatched, still playing the hell out of it. And with new content and mega-huge-maps and level-packs (wads) there is no reason for me to play all of these bad ported console-casual-"games".

After playing Doom 1 & 2 with BRUTAL DOOM, all these "modern" casualized Quick-TIme-event-coverbased "Shooters" can take a nap and suck on their thumb!
  2. Dec 18, 2013
    I got this game back in mid 90's when my mom took me to K-mart and I saw Doom 95 on the shelf. I took this home, installed it, and forever have been a Doom fan!

There was no improvement on the original gameplay except for a new weapon and a few enemies, but the map designs were better in my opinion. The maps were much bigger and more immersive and ran great in 90s PC standards.
  3. Nov 14, 2013
    Carmacks and Romeros masterpiece. Ahead of its time. The very first series that got me into First person shooters. It is simple & fun. If the world would go under and someone would ask me what game would i choose to have with me this would be the answer. Midi music from godlike bands like Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, AC/DC and many more just made you addicted. I dont care that people say Catacombs or Wolfenstein put shooters into the map. In my eyes this will always be the revolutionary fps game of all time. Expand
  4. Oct 21, 2013
    Even though i was born in 97, i was lucky enough to be able to play Doom 1 2 duke nukem 3d and many other kick-ass fps games, THESE are the fps games that started the whole genre, and it's such a shame that it became a cashgrabbing, sequel spamming of a genre
  5. Sep 27, 2013
    This is more like an expansion than an actual sequel. However, it still kicks some major demonic Everything they did right in Doom 1, they did again in doom 2, but a 100% better. Better enemies, better visuals, better handling of weapons, better levels, better soundtrack, etc. etc. etc. i.e. Doom 2 rocks!

If I had to make a gripe, I did miss the campaign overview maps that the first
    Doom had. Not really necessary, but I did miss it as I always thought it was a nice touch in the first game.

Overall:
    While I don't really see this as a true sequel, it's still fantastic and die hard fun from start to finish.
  6. Sep 25, 2013
    Oh wow, the memories. This game has become the most successful and widely-modded classic first person shooter ever as far as I can tell, and being in the Zandronum community myself I can say that this game will forever be in the history books of technology. Outstanding for its time, still great fun now, very flexible and fun to work with. a+
  7. Sep 22, 2013
    Classic.
    Fun.
    Demon Killing Epicness.
    What more can you ask for? Even if you do get bored of the original doom there are thousands Literally thousands of mods and add-ons for doom and programs that bring DooM To a modern port like Zandronum, Which allows Multi-player, Graphical enhancements, Mouse aiming, Fully customisable controls, A developer console, Player Set-up and much much
    more.
    If you have an old copy of doom, you are still in luck, you just need the .WAD file of doom and download zandronum for free and you'll have Hours...no, Days...Nope, Months...nah...YEARS of fun!
  8. Sep 6, 2013
    Doom is the reason why the game industry is what it is today. Only those who were lucky enough to play this game by its release know how much greatness is within this game. A 10/10, out of question.
  9. Aug 28, 2013
    Its just a fantastic game i have been playing doom since i was 7 and it just never gets boring...its one of those game i can also go back to and play and i know i will have fun
  10. Jul 27, 2013
    i've played a lot of game of all kinds:platform,shooters,fighting,rpg's...and this game it's simply the only that would involve me so much in a community.For me,DOOM and DOOM II are one of the best shooters of all time(fighting head to head with quake 2 and unreal)
  11. Jul 20, 2013
    Great game. Still after about 15 years, the game is still great. Graphics are actually still good, because the enemies are so personal looking, not just grey blobs, i mean if you get custom engine to it like doomsday engine, or something like that it will improve resolution so stuff doesnt look blocky. Sounds was, and are still great. Gameplay is the best aspect of the doom series, killing is based on skill and finesse, rather than just reaction game just like todays games, because most of the enemies does not have hitscan weapons(weapons that hits instantly), so when they shoot their fireballs/slimeballs or what ever, you can dodge them even if several of them shoots you at the same time just if you are skilled enough. This what makes combat very fun even after so many years. There is also some hitscan weapon enemies, but they are really easy to drop and basically you can drop them with one shotgun blast, exept one boss enemy. Enemies also can fight each other if they hit other creature that is not same creature type that accidently shooted it. Also there is pain stat for each enemy, so certain enemies are better killed by chainguns and some other with shotguns and rocket launcher, etc. From internet there is plenty of custom made wads to doom 2. There is many reviews sites that you should look for to get help what wads would be recommended to download. Expand
  12. May 31, 2013
    One of the best games ever made! Play with Brutal Doom and your in for some crazy fun. I have been playing this since I was 5 years old and I still love it. I play this weekly, its just so much fun. Amazing!
  13. May 19, 2013
    This game is great. Its very challenging. You are a marine that needs to take care of business. Very suspenseful with the new versions and runs like a charm on any PC. I would recommend this game!
  14. Mar 28, 2013
    At first, it's kind of funny to see this game with a user score much higher than most newer games made after 2004. Then after a while, you realize that Doom is where it all started. On the tree of FPS games, you see games like Half-Life 2, Black Ops 2, Halo and Battlefield hanging on the higher branches. But when you dig down to the roots, you see Doom, Doom II, 1992 Wolfenstein and hell, maybe even Catacomb 3D down there. When you play an old Doom game, you don't just play a classic game, you get a portal of what the gaming world was really like back in the early 90's. Where the graphics didn't matter, if the gameplay was good enough, the game itself was good enough. I don't know any game community that's older than Doom's people still make mods for the game. Perhaps it's just the nostalgia talking, but Doom is just a franchise that can most likely never ever spoil. The classic versions at least. Whether you were around to experience the first Super Mario game ever made, or you became a gamer just 2 years ago, Doom 2 is still good stuff. Nowadays, it might seem super cliche to have a game with demons, miniguns and chainsaws, but after 19 years, the game still tightly holds onto its charm. As expected, I prefer Doom 2 over the first Doom, just because you get the same classic feel, but some nice new extras thrown in that don't overspoil the game. Expand
  15. Jan 2, 2013
    This game is a quintessence of awesome gameplay, awesome graphics (for it's age), awesome sound, good controls, great modability and most importantly - awesome story.
  16. Dec 12, 2012
    This is a classic game! I remember when I was 5 years old, and I was playing this game :X Such fun I had playing both single-player and multyplayer... I will never forget this period, such memories. Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Blood and Duke Nukem 3D, those were my action games at that time. And Doom, that's just where action games came from. And if people say something bad about this game, is just because they haven't had the pleasure to play it in 1994-1995. If someone wants to try it with improved graphics, I recommend downloading Doomsday from doomsdayhq website, or ZDoom. From the source ports I've tried, those ones are my favourite! I really hope, if they make a Doom 4, to relate the gameplay to the old ones, not like Doom 3 (which is not bad, a horror game, but not even close to the old ones). Expand
  17. Aug 19, 2012
    The original and best. Still the only game that can make me jerk around in my chair like an actor playing a video game in a movie. It's tough, fun, scary, long, and iconic. Me and my friends lived in the sticks without access to internet when it was released, so I never even played deathmatch. I'm sure I missed out. Anyway, test your oldschool PC gaming friends to do an impression of the sound Doomguy makes running through lava. Expand
  18. Jul 23, 2012
    For kids saying COD/BF3/Any think else is better, don´t forget that this is where those games came from!
    If I mean game, guys from ID software did great job about Doom, every think worked, so the put that into Doom II and make it bigger and better!
  19. Mar 27, 2012
    Best classic ever. This is one of the few games that still stumps me no matter how many times I play it. And the only game to make me scream bloody murder while mowing down a room full of imps (or having a room full of imps appear behind me). This game has hardcore nostalgic value for me, I grew up with this, Wolfenstein, and many games alike; but Doom was always my favorite. The mazes are so complicated and twisted, you never know when you're going to be teleported back to the beginning or in the middle of a room filled to the brim with Imps, Cacodemons, Lost Souls, Chaingunners, or worse... Hell Knights. This game never ceases to get old for me. Collapse
  20. Mar 13, 2012
    This game is absolutely amazing, even now I can't stop playing it! Its cool music, cool guns, fun shooter mechanics will keep you coming back for more again and again! You can't not like this game, so go out and buy it!
  21. Mar 10, 2012
    Oh my god, DOOM II... This was my first experience ever in the First Person Shooter genre. Before then, I was just a little kid playing minesweeper or solitaire. I was first introduced to this game around age 6, from my grandfather who had bought the game. I remember spending countless hours on his computer playing it. I remember screaming and nearly **** myself when I would open a door and a demon or monster would come out. It was great fun. Though it doesn't hold up too well as a horror game, as compared to the sequel, DOOM 3, it is still an excellent shooter that I can say I still play today, though nowhere near as frequently. This game deserves a playthrough, and its score of a 9, for its amazing gameplay, ambitious use of the pseudo-3D Id Tech 1 engine, and a lengthened campaign, as compared to other games of the time. Expand
  22. Jan 29, 2012
    If you like "real" first person shooters, you will love Doom 2!
    This game brings 1 new weapon an1d atleast 4 new monsters!
    So 'cmon everyone, play a real game
  23. Dec 31, 2011
    The ORIGINAL DOOM! Oh my good, DOOM 1! Without all of these stupid Doom 2, Doom 3, Doom 4, Doom 5, Doom 6... All I am saying is back in the day, Doom the original was the bomb. I still love it: I have it on my laptop. Sure the graphics suck, but it is so addicting and fun. Plus, it is probably the first FPS ever made. WITHOUT DOOM, THERE WOULD BE NO COD! NO BATTLEFIELD OR HALO, OR WHATEVER YOU LIKE THESE DAYS!!!! Expand
  24. Nov 10, 2011
    Ahh... DOOM. Nothing more satisfying than blowing demons to gibby bits. I really loved the first installment and people apparently loved it too. So it's a no-brainer to Id what to make next...
    DOOM II is in many ways an improvement from DOOM but in other ways inferior. The things that DII does right: many new enemy types from the slightly annoying revenants to the terrifying arch-vile. one
    new weapon, the Super-shotgun. Although a nice addition, I always wished that Id made more weapons like a grenade launcher to fire around corners or something.
    The biggest "improvement" is the new levels. A total of 32 new maps to traverse. That's a LOT. Now notice I put improvement in quotes, because that is the flaw of DII: the level disign. It feels like the developers didn't know how they were gonna fill 32 slots, so made up the levels as they went along. Now don't get me wrong, there are some great levels, but alot of them are quite forgetful.
    The music is as always great and the sound effects are perfectly cheesy. This IS a fantastic game, but It's just not as COSISTANT as Ultimate DOOM. the bigger you make a game, the more thin the game gets. In UD every level is identifiable at least to me. I'm not getting the same feeling from DII.
    But for the sake of argument, I say both UD & DII are equal. If you like DOOM, play it and love it. if you like FPS in general, play this only if you like DOOM.
  25. Nov 9, 2011
    User Interface 10/10
    Sounds 10/10
    Music 10/10
  26. Oct 10, 2011
    Greatest game ever made.EVER. Best gameplay. Best story. Best mutiplayer. Best sounds. Best graphics. Best sequel. Best game franchise. Best psychics. Best game engine. Best game.
  27. Jul 5, 2011
    this game deserves a 10, back in the day this was the sh*t there was no need for a story just me my gun and some dam demons to kill. Of course that all changed when half-life came out and we could jump and crouch. =p
  28. Jul 5, 2011
    One of the greatest works in PC gaming in it's time. This game and also the first Doom were my childhood, playing it on the Playstation 1 at the time. It is a great game.
  29. Jun 12, 2011
    this game is amazing. the way you see l=old demons and zombies from the original 3, yes i count doom 64. this game really is better than the game Halo. (backround) *BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!* okay, i know. the imposible. better than Halo. The game is better than one of the only good first person shooters that the world has to offer. i love the way that the action is allways there. the best moments are the parts that involve the story going forward, and parts were there are zombies and i have a chainsaw thats ready to tear through the undead bastards. now, i really am almost ashamed of saying that halo is better, but its actually because in halo you are always fighting the same things, and the levels are all similar. where as the levels in doom have the whole staition that is all there, everything is fine, the first few levels there is just blood on the walls. then there are messages, then your in hell! then the staition has flesh growing on it!! then the staition literaly looks like hell. holy **** that is quite a transition for a few hours! then all the monsters are always new and fresh, and don't stop being new demons until 3/4's of the way in. so its less repetitive than Halo. now, i still like halo. and always will. *salute* Expand
  30. Dec 30, 2010
    It was 1995 when I started playing PC games and this was my FIRST. Oh, how lucky I was to get addicted to it and dream about it every night =D. Love this game! A kick-a$$ start to my gaming era =P which isn't gonna end till I die
  31. Oct 4, 2010
    For some it may seem as if it's an expansion pack or an add-on but rest assured this one stands alone, with addictive action, more monsters, more guns (well it's just one gun actually), more power-ups, more terror and most of all: MORE DOOM!!!
  32. Mar 27, 2012

1. A dark, disturbing game. And while it may not bring anything new to the genre, it can create obsession-level loyalty if you tend not to look beyond the barrel of a gun.
  2. In addition to multiple difficulty settings and configurable graphics and controls, DOOM II features online support. You can challenge opponents via modem, LAN or a supported IPX protocol to a brutal, no holds barred deathmatch competition.
  3. Go ahead and buy Doom II - if you think you can take the heat. [Dec 1994, p.134]