6.4

1. Nov 14, 2013
    Great game. Great developers. Great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great stuff.
  2. Jul 19, 2013
    Dota 2 is a nice HD remake of the mod for Warcraft 3, Valve executes a somewhat simpler game-play than the original. The game offers full experience to every hero instead of paying to play the hero you desire. Of course, Dota 2 is enjoyable at first. After having playing the game for over 600 hours; the game contains various things I dislike. For example, the Quest tab is actually a tutorial instead of what I expected to be either a mini-campaign for all the heroes or a campaign containing back-story for the characters. But when I found that out I was simply disappointed even now. Some hero dialogues are plain lazy such as Tidehunter's lame level-up dialogues of eating sea-creatures. Furthermore, if you fail to do what a team-mate desires they will insult you; some will even ask you to simply quit playing Dota 2. Now, there is a report button but it requires multiple players to do so, but most of the time no one reports the unsporting player which this really disappointed me. Moreover, when you know you're going to lose (enemies are unstoppable, your defenses are destroyed, your items are basic, your level is low, etc) there is obviously no point in staying, unless you don't want to get reported or insulted by the bad community or get battle points and item drops (usually useless cosmetics). Beside of me 'bashing' this game, Dota executes well for playing with your friends in a full team or in a team match which you gain full communication. I highly recommend this as I often get a team that does not communicate well. Dota 2 should include significant changes in modes and add 'Fast Respawn Mode' as the mod has it and because it's longass waiting time is really frustrating. Although, I have not mentioned 'over-powered' heroes there is always a way to 'counter' them. Unless they counter you. Many may disagree with my review but this is simply my opinion of Dota 2. I am actually being kind to this game with its score (otherwise this might have been a 6 or 5) because it does keep me 'enjoyed' for some parts of the 600 hours I've played ever since the early beta. Expand
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    This is one of the most difficult multi-player games you will ever play. The people who tell you otherwise are probably doing it wrong. The game play is solid, and the mechanics are balanced properly. For the most part any hero in the game is capable of defeating any other hero in the game if the two players are equally skilled. It's very balanced in that respect. It is also a fun game if you can get past the culture, attitude, arrogance, and hostility that people bring to the game.

That problem is it's very hard to get past that part. This game is full of the most hateful, immature, ignorant people you will ever find in any MMO game, period. I played WoW for over a year, I played SW: TOR, I have played several random "web-based" games where you also expect the bottom of the barrel in terms of users and community, but every horrid online community I've ever seen pales in comparison to this. You may think I'm exaggerating, but if you can put 10-20 hours into this game without being called newb, baddie, or told to go kill yourself/uninstall, then I'm envious of you. That doesn't even cover the harassment and berating you will receive from your own team no matter how new you are, or how hard you are trying. If you make a mistake prepare to pay for it in hateful comments from your own team, up to and including calling you every imaginable name over mic and in chat.

The majority of players on US servers at certain times are foreign and cannot speak English, and Valve has decided to ignore this problem and believe me, it's a huge problem in a game that requires communication which only adds to the overall hate and frustration level. Russians are the biggest problem on US servers right now and if you happen to offend one of them, regardless of which team this person is on, they will almost certainly ask the other Russians in the game, again regardless of team, to report you. You have no recourse and the process is semi-automated. You will receive mutes from Valve after you accumulate enough reports the validity of which makes no difference.

I have just spent two paragraphs warning you of what you are getting into, while only devoting one paragraph to the nice parts of this game. Make of that what you will, but if you do decide to play this game, I advice muting everyone before the match even begins including your own team. It's your own team that will berate and harass you with the most racist and hateful speech you can imagine much more often than the opposing team. Score-wise I gave it a 6 because I think it represents exactly what I'm trying to say this game is fantastic, but the community and players are not. Half and half.

I would also like to add that I am near 200 total wins, with a winning percentage around .433. I am not new nor am I offended by the overall experience, but it is indeed a negative experience as far as the community goes. I subject myself to the player interactions because I can (usually) take it in stride, mute the player, and move on. If you don't have a thick skin though, this game is not for you.
  4. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is interesting and is nice for playing with friends. On the other hand, learning curve is hard and the community is full of very rude players. Prepare to be insulted during the first 5 weeks at least.

Also, games take usually 45 minutes, which is quite long and boring...
  5. Jul 26, 2013
    What can we ask more to this game?
    Very nice graphics, 100 and more heroes that are all free.
    The only thing missing is the ladder, which should come soon.
    Dota 2 For the Win. The most fun you can have online.
  6. Jul 26, 2013
    Firstly I would like to give this game a fair score as many user scores have been extremely high or low.
    The Good: Dota 2 has a great art style and sometimes the game-play can be quite fun if played with people you know/ can communicate easily with. As well as having some rewarding play whilst playing
    however
    The Bad: Dota 2 has possibly one of the worst communities ever as well as one
    of the most frustration learning curves ever. The controls are "meh" at best (mostly relying on clicking). It has a weird lock on system which even turned off is still present and will cause many a frustrating death. As well as this the game only has one map which seems lazy considering it is not too hard to make a balanced map. Speaking of balanced the game is not ex actually balanced, although it may be argued that everything can be countered, at a low level this is unknown and therefore the players who choose the most common characters such as zeus and drow ranger will always dominate the game and therefore will progress further up the learning curve. As well this the matchmaking is a bit of a mess. Expand
  7. Jul 27, 2013
    If you haven't yet played this game but are thinking about it, read this. Since there are so many negative reviews, I will address their issues first.

There are two broad kinds of people who play Dota 2, and you will recognise them straight away. One is the player who doesn't whine, and the other is the player who does. Those who whine can be recognised easily, because they have the
    glorious, 12-year-old attitude that is unmistakable. If they're winning, they will be cheeky in chat about their victory, and if they lose, they will flame at everyone and every action everyone took in the game except themselves and their own actions.

I believe I fit into the former category, and this is reflected in that I have never been muted. Those who are in the latter are those that post on the Steam Dota 2 community discussion forums, complaining that they get muted everyday. Check them out if you want to have a laugh. Also, when you've played the game and got used to it, come back on here and read the zero-rated reviews; they will also make you laugh at how deluded they are.

But, of course, none of what I just said, really matters. How you play is down to you. Yes, it's a very hard game to learn, and yes, there will be many matches that annoy you, but stick with it. There will be many times when you die and think to yourself, "wtf just happened?", but this passes when you learn the heroes. If you are expecting, or hoping, to win every game, don't even bother installing it.

I played a lot of LoL before playing Dota 2, and oh my god, I'm so glad I found this game. I've never looked back. It is much more player skill-based than LoL. You don't need to get summoner levels, or pay, to have runes, masteries, summoner spells... Everything you need to win, you have from your first game. There are no "external influences", if you will, like runes and masteries. Everything is down to your hero, the items you have, and how good you are with them.

Another difference from LoL is that invisibility is a hugely prevalent annoyance. You can buy invisibility in this game fairly cheaply, and some champions either have permanent invisibility or can be almost permanently invisible. Fighting these heroes will probably be your first struggle. If you meet Riki, Bounty Hunter, Clinkz and some others, remember the arsenal of anti-stealth that you can buy! Sentry wards will reveal them so you can farm safer in lane, and something special (and cheap!) that you wont find in LoL is Dust of Appearance. If an enemy nearby goes invisible, use Dust to reveal them! A more risky and much more expensive, but sometimes better investment, is the Gem of True Sight. It grants you true sight like a permanent Oracle's Elixir, however if you die, it drops from your body and an enemy could steal it and use it against you!

Also, you can find weapon and armor 'skins' for your heroes without having to pay. You can pay if you wish, of course, so it does kind of nullify the common, uncommon, rare, mythical branding of items. In my opinion, rare and mythical items should only be found by playing, so that their rarity is actually reflected by how many will have found them by braving the game. But this is Valve we're talking about, so that wont ever happen as sales will be down.

Also, the game does have its annoying bugs. At the time of writing, assuming they haven't just fixed it with the patch that is being downloaded right now, I have a bug where I can't select or attack enemy wards. Annoying, but hardly game-changing. I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Anyway, I hope I didn't ramble on too long on single topics, but I want to say what's important for those who haven't played yet but who want to. Good luck, have fun!
  8. Jul 27, 2013
    so perfect generation and strategy.Quality of characters are incredible.Teamplay is good.War effects amazing.League of Legends fans losers and kids,DotA 2 fans pros.Need all DotA heroes in DotA 2
  9. Jul 27, 2013
    Dota 2 is exactly what it should be, a hardcore player vs. player arena game, with endless replay ability. Dota 2 has 102 characters so far, that means you'd have to play 102 rounds of dota to experience and learn each character, or more, with each round taking about 20-30 minutes. There's lots to do in this game, and it's great considering you can get it for free, the dota shop is optional and not game-play related too. The only downside to the game is that although it is being constantly patched, some characters shine stronger than others, but I suppose that problem will always be there with games like this. Expand
  10. Jul 28, 2013
    Best game I have ever played since 2005. A lot of combos to perform and item builds to choose from. Very balanced and challenging. The battle part starts on the picking phase where you should choose the hero that can counter the enemy. Have deep learning curve though. I've been playing this game for 8 years and still learning and getting better. One key to win this game is 100% team strategy and coordination. Expand
  11. Jul 29, 2013
    This game has a way lower user score then the game deserves because League of Legends fan boyish Ftards are all over this game. Don't mind the score and give the game a try, you won't regret it.
  12. Jul 29, 2013
    First of all, I would like to point out that every hero in this game is free, you do not need flash or ignite to do well, there are no mastery points, you do not have to buy runes and you can get "skins" for free just by playing. WIth that said, this game is amazing. Every hero is unique and icefrog really cares about hero balance. You do not see the same 10-20 heroes in every game or even in every tournament. People do not complain if you run rogue or you stray from 1 top laner, 1 mid laner, 1 support and 1 ADC bottom and a jungler. You can run 3 top, 1 mid 1 bot; 0 top, 1 mid, 4 bot; 1 top 3 mid 1 bot, etc etc. Also leavers do not ruin the game because the game will become safe to leave. The report and mute system is also better than League of Legends. You know what else this game has? A better client, less bugs, better voice acting, replays, and SingSing. 10/10. Expand
  13. Jul 30, 2013
    Not one of the best, this game is the best multiplayer 5v5 MOBA. Though a bit(actually a lot) hard to learn but once you know all of it, you will not find a better multiplayer game to play!
  14. Jul 31, 2013
    This game is most definitely the best looking MOBA out there today. The graphics are great, the gameplay is flawless, its everything that was great about the original DOTA without all of the issues. Not to mention it is fully free, you can play all the heroes without paying a dime and everything that is sold is purely cosmetic. The community is what you make of it, if you play with random people and don't make an effort to play with people you know and just do constant solo matchmaking, you aren't going to enjoy yourself on ANY MOBA that is out today. There is a steep learning curve and people do expect after about 100 games for you to understand the basics, so if you are a casual gamer who doesn't want to have to do a little bit of reading then I would suggest move on. On the other hand if advanced strategy mixed with fast paced team PvP sound like your niche then you should definitely check it out. Expand
  15. Aug 2, 2013
    I wanted to give this game a 9 out of 10 due to the good graphics compared to other MOBA games, huge character selection you can get immediately, and good tutorial as well as the interactions with the character that we chose. However I found that this game has a huge flaw which is deny creep system. Why? Because the one that can deny creep better will definitely win the game especially the solo lanes. The solo lanes gets more experience and then able to outlevel all other players and just making plays all over. So basically this game is "who can deny creeps more" in the early stage of the game. Indeed this is the redeeming feature of the game itself but I feel this feature is not necessary. However it is undoubtedly a great game and recommendable for anyone who likes hardcore mind-games. Expand
  16. Aug 2, 2013
    Probably the deepest and most meaningful pvp experience you can have in an online game. From Hero choices, to lanes and item selections, this game has the possibilities of chess wrapped around a ridiculously skilled rts game.

Still learning and getting better 400 hours in.
  17. Aug 2, 2013
    The game is good in general, but it has some quite major flaws, which kill all the fun about it.

First major problem is a conceptual one below-average dynamics resulted from RTS-style control, that is in fact not suitable at all for action games, which Dota is supposed to be. This game hasn't got a single reason to have RTS control, there are just a few heroes who have summons so you
    may need RTS conrol in it. This game originally as Dota on Wc3 engine was born for Wc3 fans as a custom map, just to have fun in between common games. It definitely doesn't deserve a standalone game and especially as a competitive one. Just because its idea doesn't fit its technical implementation. There're dozens of creeps running around, but you still control only one hero and a courier for your items. That's not a game for RTS control.

This problem results in low dynamics, there's no intensity in any "action" in the game apart from teamfights (which occupy no more than 10% of game time) and occasionally laning (early phase of the game when you're supposed mostly to kill creeps and force your enemies back). The majority of time is a "positional war" with 1-2 heroes in a team farming creeps to get items and eventually to carry the game. Rare tactics (which are hardly seen on a competitive scene) can include fast-push (taking down towers and rushing for enemy base from the first minutes) or very massive gangs (killing enemy heroes) to suspend enemy development. They are not effective and there's nothing done by developers to improve the situation, just not to break a fragile close-to-balance state.

The second major problem of this game is it being unbalanced. There are almost always a few (~10 out of 100+) heroes in the game that are holding the trend. You may see them is 80% of the games. And there are about 30% of heroes that are almost never picked. In some patches you may even have one hero that may alone carry the whole game even if player puts no effort in playing, unless enemies have a strong counter-pick and act almost flawlessly to negate a single hero's power. And that's after about 8 years (since IceFrog took the game and made it "serious") of constant development and balance improvements. Due to its 'overcomplexity' any patches applied to the game can change the situation only in terms of which heroes exactly are most picked/most winning but not the rates, but there are still 60% winning rate for some heroes and 40% for others.

Third problem (a lesser one) is non-friendliness for newcomers. It's difficult not only to master the game, but also just to get a motion in a right direction. And no guides can actually help you. Your performance while you are a newcomer is determined by whether you have an experienced friend in a voice chat who will constantly explain you every single detail of any action you are going to take, should it be picking a hero, leveling skills, getting items or acting in fights. You can forget about learning how to play this game even as a below average player before you put about 1000 hours in it, unless (as stated before) you have a trainer (a really skilled trainer) who's going to teach you any time you play.

Also, the game is overestimated as a competitive one. Most professional gamers you can see on a top-scene were playing it for at least 4 years. The majority were playing it since early Dota1 for more than 6 years.

The fourth problem is its community, which is (and always was for some reason I can't explain) extremely unfriendly and aggressive. This adds negative experience equally for newcomers and for veteran players. Assuming that even after almost two years of beta-testing there's still no adequate matchmaking system (it's not developers' fault by the way, the "skill" in this game is too vague to determine it even manually, what can we say about automated system) it results in a big gap in skill among players that are matched in the same game which itself results in players constantly insulting each other based on their performance.
  18. Aug 3, 2013
    Balanced and skill based moba experience, unlike other dota-look-alikes, it maintains originality and rewards gamers for proper play in the form in game rewards. With a non "cash grab" business model, dota2 allows all players to stage battles on an fair playingfield. All heros are avaliable for all players to use right from the start, regardless of game experience or wallet size.

Game
    play wise, dota 2 has a steep learning curve, skills on most heros are designed to used at the most opportune time, and should not be spamed. Hero kills are rewarded, while deaths are heavily punished in the form of gold loss, and a revive timer.

there is no one single battle plan for wining, Although team interaction is key. if you are looking for a team oriented battle arena with real rewards for effective play and consequences for mistakes, then dota 2 is for you!
  19. Aug 4, 2013
    One of the best, most difficult and truly competitive games I've ever played.Its completely free and no bonuses for real money purchases ,very balanced Absolutely amazing heart stopping game with all its animations sound effects and creativity. Stunning gameplay and lovely teamplay. The only thing that you have to spend in order to play this game is time.
  20. Aug 4, 2013
    Complex gameplay great game lot of heroes TRULY f2p 1 map and infinite ways to play .
    This game reminds me to chess no match is equal to another
  21. Aug 5, 2013
    I play it with 2007, was very glad when the Valve pay attention to it and improved it!
    play it around 1500 hours and will play even more! 10 of 10!
    ps who is not able to play DotA and let him go play lol, he is for the weak, DotA for the strong!
  22. Aug 5, 2013
    I love this game. This game shows how individual skills and of course a team cohesiveness. besides the hero has a renewable item that we will continue to seek to make the item. so everything is Dota.
  23. Aug 7, 2013
    Best game ever. I don't know why people still choose Dota 1 over Dota 2, not that I'm hating on Dota 1, I loved that game. Dota 2 improved on every aspect of it. Dota 2 is the best MOBA.

On a side note. International 3 guys! $2.7 million dollars distributed to the tournament. Such a large price pool. DOTA 2 FTW
  24. Aug 8, 2013
    Deep strategic combats that last around 30 minutes, no-one starting with any advantage at all. This is the only game I see myself playing 10 years from now that I currently play!
  25. Aug 9, 2013
    Following Valve's success with TF2; Dota 2, the successor to the popular Warcraft III custom map Defense of The Ancients is truly free to play in all game content. The only things purchasable in game are cosmetics and tournament passes. Dota 2 is essentially the exact same game as DoTA except that it has been ported to Valve's source engine. The menus and user interface are extremely streamlined and includes tournament integration if there is one in progress.

The game has a harsh learning curve that not everyone will be able to appreciate. But, it is highly rewarding once you learn the game. The community is not nearly as toxic as other reviewers are trying to make it out to be. Most of these reviewers are probably overly sensitive people to begin with. The community that I've been exposed to may be slightly elitist, but that's to be expected from a game with this competitive nature and learning curve. However, although elitist most of the players are willing to give advice and help out if they are asked to. Don't let one toxic player ruin your experience of this amazing game.

The game is smooth, tightly integrated, stays true to its predecessor, and has possibly the best matchmaking system of any MOBA to date. If you're a fan of the genre and want a challenge then this is the game to be playing. If not, then look elsewhere.
  26. Aug 13, 2013
    Been coming here for years and never found the need to create and account and review. However after reading some of the ridiculous "0" reviews for this game I found it necessary to defend Dota 2.

- Yes the game looks like the old War Craft 3 in regards to map, direction etc. it's supposed to. Valve's intentions were to update the old game but to keep it true to the original, there is
    nothing wrong with this.

- Yes the learning curve is very steep, for me this was my first MOBA and while it was challenging to start out in the game I have been playing it for over a year and it's highly rewarding. For me it actually took a fair bit of time watching the game and doing some research in order to progress at a quicker pace.

- People say this is "broken" or unbalanced which couldn't be further from the truth. All of the heroes in the game have their place and can be useful and powerful in certain situations. One hero may seem to be over powered to you but that's because you aren't familiar enough with their weaknesses or a hero to proper counter any perceived "OPness". There isn't a single hero in DOTA 2 that is OP, all of them can be stopped if you use the right strategy.

- It's highly likely you struggled with the game because generally in the newbie queue all the players want to play agility carries, you all just want to go kill stuff but that's not how the game works. There needs to be a proper balance between supports, mid game/semi carries and late game carries. Do yourselves a favour if you are starting the game new, play support heroes. You already have no clue what you are doing, it's best to have no clue while you are support those who might have an idea. This will allow you to get into the game while not playing as important a role. (not that support isn't important, at higher levels it's just as difficult to play good support as to carry if not more so). And don't be a greedy support, in most cases all you need is a magic wand, boots and in some cases maybe a blink dagger/force staff. Other than these items you should be buying wards, dust, smoke etc. all while protecting your carry and NOT stealing his farm.

- For those who gave this game a 0 they obviously didn't put the time in, until you actually understand all the heroes in the game you can't comprehend the depth involved to play this game at a higher level. For those who are willing to put the time in the game is excellent and should be experienced the price is definitely right.
  27. Aug 13, 2013
    Amazing. Amazing and Amazing. First it was a mod for War3 called 3-Corridors, DotA finally was started, then they added a jungle and many years later, Valve buys it. They have done an Amazing job with this game and as some of the other critics say, just give it some time and you are in for a real treat. A+ Add me on Steam if you want to learn 'cultavix'.
  28. Aug 15, 2013
    One of my favorite MOBAs ever. It is completely free to play and you get all heroes from the get go. You do not need to buy ANYTHING from the store to play this game to it's fullest (most of that stuff is just cosmetic goodies). Just keep in mind that this game has a steep learning curb and like with ANY game you are bound to run into some bad apples. Ignore those people and keep playing if you want to improve. Expand
  29. Nov 9, 2013
    Dota 2 deserves its old rating, before this diretide yay go back up Dota 2 deserves its old rating, before this diretide yay go back up! Dota 2 deserves its old rating, before this diretide yay go back up!
  30. Aug 25, 2013
    This game is extremely addictive and can be even more fun if in a party of people. Teams really make the game the best and the more you play, the better you are as the character. enjoy sitting down and spending an hour or two playing this game. Anyone who has given this game below a 4 seriously needs to replay this game. One crappy game does not mean the game is bad. Nor does having a group of players who can't help you first game either. Expand
  31. Aug 28, 2013
    Lets begging with the fact that the game is amazing. Real gamers will love it, its a challenge and never-ended tactics moba. That say, lets talk about Bad things:

1. Matchmaking: Im a graphic designer, web developer and i know that coding is rly dificult, every fix bring 2 bugs. Match making is based on experience, records, roles, etc of a player, but some players as me, keep geting
    horrible teammates with bad behaviour, quiters, "reporters" (troll that report u for nothing), noobs, and first time players. making me lose, and getting a bad record, that send me more players like those... this must change.

2. Server Locations & Filters: US, EU, LA, everywhere we get russians, (we all agree that rusians trolls can be rly insane), if i want russians i would pick RU server, why i keep getting them? dunno...

Dota should have an auto critic bar, where i say witch my level is, so he can do a better job matchmaking. If the player is right about the level, then the bar stay still, if dont, it goes down.

3. Reports: i know this have perma fixes and changes everyday, but we are not ok with the way it works atm. Actually u can be a pro and be banned by trolls whom report you. That its insane, there should be certain of restrictions on who, how, and when u report players with better record than you.

Las and more important...

4. THE INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT How do teams participate? rules? request? where to sign? Steam/Valve is very noob there, this game requires more tournaments, and more important, Regional Tournaments (Like Soccer world cup, but less corrupted). SEA Tournaments, South America Tournaments, Central America Tournaments... This is crucial in order to get a better community and better gamers. Players needs it, The game Needs it, Valve MUST do it, and Players must demand it.

... And let the battle Begin's!.
  32. Aug 30, 2013
    Don't let the fear of a steep learning curve keep you from playing this very deep, very challenging, yet very fun game. This was the first time I ever played a MOBA and I gotta say, I love it. Been having so much fun with it, also, the community really isn't that bad. Most of the time everyone keeps to themselves (oftentimes to the detriment of the team)
  33. Sep 1, 2013
    At first I was kind of sceptical. Normally, I really don't like MOBAs like LoL or HoN. But then I discovered Dota. The game itself is REALLY hard for beginners. But don't let that discourage you! It is really worth learning everything, though it might take more than 50-100 in-game-hours to fully comprehend the most of what you should do. You can always learn something new in the game, but the beginners might be a little confused.

The game itself has some things which are considered bugs but actually are intentional mechanics (such as the Pudge-Fountain hook with Chen) but if there is a bug Dota mostly tries to fix it as soon as possible.

The characters over all are MOSTLY balanced. Though there are, in my opinion, some characters that are easier than others, which makes them seem totally op if you play decent, and others not even close to good if you play them like a professional. While I say this I am thinking about Spirit Breaker, Sniper or a well played Pudge. These are the only characters they really should nerf, because you can't do ANYTHING if pudge lands a hook, spirit charges you or sniper perma-stuns you with headshot. Besides that I like the balancing a lot.

If you come to the community this game really shows it's downside. People are complete a**holes when it comes to small things like picking or laning. If they see 3 hard carrys picked they are going to pick a 4th one instead of a much needed support. This also screws up the lanes and a lot of people don't listen to more experienced players when it comes to laning or small things like mechanics. The report buttons are not even close to be enough. There is report-button for quitters, trolling or people who simply just don't listen to people who have more experience then them. It really sucks not to be able to report someone like this.

Another thing I want to talk about are russians. I have no Idea what a russian is supposed to do on an english west-europe server but they are still there and it sucks. They will, no matter what you tell them, do exactly what they want, don't speak english at all, even though you searched for the english language-preference and they will ruin your game big time. And this holds to be true for about 97,2% of the russians you meet in dota.

The communication with the team is overall quite okay, most people will react if you tell them something or suggest what you could do next. Of chourse, it happens from time to time that they won't even listen to you, but that is rarely the chase.

But my overall impressions after over 400 hours of playing: I love this game. If you play with 4 friends you won't have the problem that you have to deal with russians or idiots. This makes the game a lot cooler. Beginners might have trouble but it is really worth checking out, and I say that though I don't like MOBAs, so this really means something.
  34. Sep 1, 2013
    one of the best newold game in steam.Valve version of dota do a real quality,but time show can Valve add some newgood features in classic defence of ancient.Score only 8 becouse 1)This retared Pro-Dota community 2)Usless workshopdonate.Time will show how good a Valve Dota.
  35. Sep 3, 2013
    Wonderful game. It grows as the player grows with the game. You learn to hate it as a beginner if you play against other people for your first games, so play with the bots. They added tutorials to help new players as well.

By now, I've played 226 games and watched multiple tournaments and can say for certain that every game is different. It's a game of nuance and learning that will
    allow the player to grow with the game making a skill cap that is high enough to even continue to play better and better after playing for so long. If you don't want to learn about strategy, then this game probably isn't for you. Some players have been playing since the original warcraft 3 mod and find new things today.

The graphics aren't the best in the world when compared to games like Crysis 3, but it uses a modified and updated source engine. It's well optimized to the point that I can even play it easily with an hd4000 integrated chip without issues.

From one of the other reviews about frame rate, there can be some lag when you play on bad connections. It's not quite optimization, but rather based on your connection as with any online game.

If you want to pick up this game, I would suggest looking at other pros playing it to see what goes into the game. It's also very helpful to pick it up with some other friends as it is a multiplayer game. It's f2p, so you don't loose anything by doing so.

Good luck on your journey in playing DOTA2. I can only hope that you'll have as much fun with it as I have.
  36. Sep 9, 2013
    Dota 2 stays very close to the formula that made Dota 1 such a success. As such it is a pretty good game.... However 10 years have past, but they stubbornly refused to implement a number of improvements to the classic formula that we;ve seen elsewhere.
    -Barely even a nod to the fact that this is the least accessible genre of gaming ever. New players are faced with dozens of champions
    right from the outset. Other games have really gone to great lengths to improve this worst aspect of MOBA games (the terrible first 100 hours), Dota 2 barely acknowledges it is a problem.
    -The risk/reward level for more dangerous play is still at it's old (very) high level, the downside of which is that you will see less out of the box plays each match that in some of the competing MOBA games.
    -At the same time the game length is about 50% longer than LoL and HoN whilst having, if anything, less action over that time than the competition.
    Still I would rate it as a near perfect game for it's balance and replayabilty.
  37. Sep 12, 2013
    I always avoided MOBAs because I didn't deem myself smart enough to be able to play them. I still do, but at least now I'm trying, and with that comes the realization of how detailed and complex the mechanics are and... I don't know, it really is interesting. Add to that that the product is wrapped with Valve's style (graphics, voice responses, all those little things) and there you have it: the perfect storm. Well, it's hardly a random thing such as a "storm", it's pretty much Valve's MO to take a good idea from some kind of old mod and give it full attention with these things to ornate and make it its own product. It's not for everyone, but like it or not, able to play it or not, it's just well made. Expand
  38. Nov 1, 2013
    Just trying to help and counter this "GIVE DIRETIDE" cancer. The game is great. Yes, the community is angry about the "no halloween" update, however, it's still one of the greatest F2P game over the decade.
  39. Nov 1, 2013
    Give DIRETIDE...................
    TAKE YOUR HATS BACK..................
    No diretide 2013, valve abandoned the game............
    VOLVO DISBAND..................
  40. Nov 1, 2013
    valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori valv pidori Expand
  41. Nov 9, 2013
    This is one of the deepest and best games I've ever played, the balancing is done regularly, the graphics are awesome and so on. If u ever wanted to play a MOBA u should really play this game because it out-classes every other game in it's genre!
  42. Nov 1, 2013
    Excellent game, with much more sophisticated mechanics than LoL. It is very unforgiving and requires lots of effort to master it sufficiently enough to know what needs to be done (doing it is even harder). #nodiretide2013
    and yeah juse=uebok
  43. Nov 1, 2013
    Garbage report system
    Garbage game engine results in 9 games without someone being able to load and you reenter the queue
  44. Nov 1, 2013
    A sublime and beautiful game, crippled by inept developers who care only about making a quick buck with the ceaseless addition of overpriced cosmetic items into the store. Dota could be so much more, but at the moment it is being held back by Valve's greed and laziness.
  45. Nov 1, 2013
    Been playing this game for over 2500 hours, been a Steam user for 4 years, and have throughly enjoyed Valve's games ever since Half Life. Dota is the defining game of its genre and its beautifully delivered by the studio behind it. However, I had never felt so neglected by a developer. I know they're trying to be funny and mysterious but all these 0's are a cry for attention. Valve. Wake up. This is out of your grasp, even if you end up releasing 2 new heroes you still would've hurt our trust with your antics. Expand
  46. Nov 1, 2013
    Getf your ass valve and create content for your most popular game not another dollar will be spent untill I see some content Diretide was an annual even u even said so and gone and it up. Your one of the biggest gaming developers hire some people and get to work.
  47. Nov 1, 2013
    The game's near limitless skill cap, as well as a varied hero choice makes it one of the strongest competitive games on the ESports Scene currently, though it can also be incredibly fun just to play casually. The spectator client's fantastic, and the frequent tournaments are incredible. That said, the flux of 0 ratings over a halloween event is childish, and an embarrassment to the community. Anyone seriously considering the game should look past those. Expand
  48. Nov 1, 2013
    Valve is unable to communicate with the community at all.

Not a single word is said about what is going on, no updates just money whores.
    How can a company seriously be so retarded if it would be so easy to just tell us what is going on.
  49. Nov 1, 2013
    Valve is unable to communicate with the community at all.
    Not a single word is said about what is going on, no updates just money whores.
  50. Nov 1, 2013
    It is weird how a game can be better during its beta phase than after it's release. The complete lack of communication from the developers of this game is unbelievable, specially when compared to it's competitors.
  51. Nov 1, 2013
    Game started well but there is lack of communication between devs and community no new content like heroes/modes etc even though they have legion commander ready and built a techies hype for over a year ....only content is hats and tournament tickets....Also community is toxic
  52. Nov 1, 2013
    Fine game with good graphics and balance, but Valve, please change your Valve's time. I waited Halloween event from Monday to Saturday and i have nothing. So sad.
  53. Nov 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. diretide! valve forgiven!!!!!! diretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretidediretide Expand
  54. Nov 1, 2013
    gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wpgg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wpgg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wpgg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wpgg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wpgg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wpgg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wpgg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp gg wp Expand
  55. Nov 8, 2013
    TY for news Valve) TY for news Valve) TY for news Valve) TY for news Valve) TY for news Valve)TY for news Valve)TY for news Valve)TY for news Valve)TY for news Valve)TY for news Valve)TY for news Valve)TY for news Valve)TY for news Valve)TY for news Valve)TY for news Valve)TY for news Valve)TY for news Valve)
  56. Nov 1, 2013
    Vu WTA AHUELI POZDUKI ANU ATMENITE SVAI ACENKI PLAHIE, A TO PIZDULEI DAM I WMOT VES' ZABERY, POJRAT" SOOQA NE DAJUT SPAKOINA. VOT DOEM I BUDET VAM HALOUIN I HALWALF 3, USEKI UEBKI?
  57. Nov 9, 2013
    THNX FOR DIRETIDE
    づ。◕‿◕。)づ THNX FOR DIRETIDE THNX FOR DIRETIDE
  58. Nov 1, 2013
    The best e-sports game I've played since CS 1.5/1.6. With lots of different tactics and heroes to play, you can basically play the game in so many different ways that it never gets old. It still keeps the good old wc3 dota in mind (under icefrog) and is doing a great job at it! Would play the game any day (10/10).
  59. Nov 1, 2013
    Awesome game, ignore the "no diretide hate-train"..
    E-sport events every single day awesome
    awesome community awesome
    Awesome developers -awesome
  60. Nov 1, 2013
    I understand that many people were waiting for diretide last 3 days. But it is not reason to underestimate the game assessment. Valve didn't promise you anything, so why do you so angry? Game really good and you will play this game for many years.
  61. Nov 1, 2013
    Great game, hate the community. Just read these "reviews" for why the community sucks. Yes, Valves lack of communication is an issue, but spamming metacritic is not the right way to go about telling them that. It damages the game in the long term, and will accomplish nothing. Honestly, with this behavior WE don't deserve Diretide.
  62. Nov 1, 2013
    Best MOBA at the moment. Don't say it's a worse game because it doesn't have one minigame ffs. The only reason people are giving it 0's is because of that. 0's? Really? After all those moments when you get ganked by a pudge and middle didn't call missing? This is the gamebreking thing? 'Nuff said. 'Nuff said. 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said 'Nuff said Expand
  63. Nov 1, 2013
  64. Nov 1, 2013
    I cannot believe the small faction of the community that is behaving in such a poor manner, all in reaction to a lack of a special holiday event which was not promised or otherwise indicated that it would occur. Valve resurrected DotA in a much needed way and is doing an amazing job with it.
  65. Nov 2, 2013
    No bugfixes, only hats Naix and Weaver still too much overpowered. No communication, only hats. Game abandoned its safe to leave. GG Volvo, now you can have vacation even longer.
  66. Nov 1, 2013
    Don't bother; Valve gave up developing this game shortly after its release. The matchmaking is horrible, there is still no ladder or any way of measuring your skill and the game offers no short-term rewards or incentives for playing. Dota is literally a Find Match button with nothing else to offer. Check back in a couple of years to see if Valve has decided to resume developing this game.
  67. Nov 1, 2013
    Volvo has abandoned the game. All they care for is the hats now. No more heroes, no more events. JUST MONEY. VALVE DAMN IT. GIVE DIRETIDE! YOU DONT LISTEN TO YOUR COMMUNITY ANYMORE
  68. Nov 1, 2013
    Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDE
  69. Nov 1, 2013
    no diretide im so mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad
    and also no goblin techis combo mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad
  70. Nov 1, 2013

71. Nov 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Server down every day !
  72. Nov 3, 2013
    Worst game eu tbh, you dont give us diretide, YOU CAN FOR EXAMPLE INFORM US that you wont add event in this eyar.So you make so great game and turn it into 0-you just add more cosmetical items and tickets...But 90% of community want new heroes,events and so on because game being rly boring.
  73. Nov 8, 2013
    got diretideThis game improved so much since it was released on the beta. There are over 90 heroes to choose from currently and the gamplay is as intence and as rewarding as DOTA 1. I know alot of people will be hesitant to try it at first but there has been a new tutorial system implemented in DOTA 2 and I think it will help new comers. I know some people who play LOL might bash in
  74. Nov 1, 2013
  75. Nov 1, 2013
    Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Give me Diretide!!! Expand
  76. Nov 2, 2013
    diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide diretide
  77. Nov 1, 2013
    Brilliant work to transform this from the wc3 map into the game. Really commend every1 worked at valve to have brought their A game for the 2 years Dota2.

Accepting community suggestions Workshop system everything brilliant for most of the time this game has been available to the people and the community literally emptied their pockets supporting ref TI3 compendium sales )

However Dota2 team Valve have moved onto an ignorant phase now. No updates for months choosing to ignore the community when people are asking questions been waiting for days for the Halloween patch creating quite the havoc everywhere for proof visit /r/dota2 and to top it all off having a 1st November update releasing with only new store items basically a big you to the community as a whole ).

TL;DR Brilliant game made by a great team who slowly turned into seeking arrogant
  78. Nov 2, 2013
    Your dev team has to be the most incompetent and laziest pieces of I have ever witnessed. You gave your biggest game no Halloween event, you release a hero every year since it's "too much work". We were the loudest community ever, wanting diretide. Give DIRETIDE will live on for ages. We screamed so loudly and we get nothing, not even a single "no event this year" and now today you guys have the audacity to give us a patch filled with hats Expand
  79. Nov 2, 2013
    No communication between developer and the community.Valve abandoned the game and don't release updates, it's been 4 months since the latest release of a new hero.
  80. Dnr
    Nov 2, 2013
    Dead game is dead, even LoL has their harroween.
  81. Nov 2, 2013
    give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO༼ give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO give DIRETIDE VOLVO Expand
  82. Nov 2, 2013
    VALVE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼
    Volvo betrayed us all. No Diretire. No communication. Nothing.
  83. Nov 2, 2013
    They made an event for TF2, CS:GO, but not DotA 2, the game with the biggest fanbase.
    All they do is sell tickets and hats, grabing money and saying you to community.
    300.000 players spent 10$ to support international 2013. DED GAEM
  84. Nov 2, 2013
  85. Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks for great halloween!!!!Thanks for great halloween!!!!Thanks for great halloween!!!!Thanks for great halloween!!!!Thanks for great halloween!!!!Thanks for great halloween!!!!Thanks for great halloween!!!!Thanks for great halloween!!!!Thanks for great halloween!!!!Thanks for great halloween!!!!Thanks for great halloween!!!!Thanks for great halloween!!!!
  86. Nov 2, 2013
    Please ignore the immature ones, it's not about diretide/a halloween event any more, and quite frankly it never was. It's about the lack of communication from Valve and the complete lack of respect towards the very same community that made The Internationals and all the hype around them possible. Dota 2 is an unfinished product with a bug list longer than a Fall Out Boy song title (i'm talking 1000+ entries), with quite a few heroes not yet added and a broken matchmaking. And when I say broken, I really do mean it. So with all these things around to do/fix, what does Valve do? Right, they go out of their way to release cosmetic items, sometimes twice a week. I'm not saying they are actively working on them, they are just allowing community-made items into the game. I'm not saying that Valve are a money-grabbing company that cares not for their players/customers either it's them who are saying this by not communicating about the development progress at all. All we can see lately are new hats, cosmetics and whatnot.
    You know what? I'm changing my score to 1, just for the effort, but it really have backfired on them. Time to wake the f up for without us you ain't nothing.
  87. Nov 2, 2013
  88. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lack of support. Lack of communication. Lack of passion towards players. Only valve has the face not to make an event, while all its rivals made something. Very disappointed. Expand
  89. Nov 2, 2013
  90. Nov 2, 2013
    One of the best, most difficult and truly competitive games I've ever played. It is free and doesn't have any pay-to-win, all heroes are free, the only paid content are cosmetical items that DO NOT change gameplay.
  91. Nov 2, 2013
    No communication with community, no info about anything, good updates only 1-2 times per year, HATS'nSETS, no other content. No new hero for 3 months, but why? It's so difficult? Nope. And blog. Do you really need it, Valve? blog.dota2.com updates once per 1-2 months. There was SO big update (6.79), and you wrote nothing about it. Last post is about "First blood update", and previous for TI 3. TOO MUCH info! And yes, i wrote my review after helloween. People were waiting 4 days for something good, diretide or Legion commander, or holdout, or some good surprise, but you added only 3 sets, courier and tickets. And continue to be silent. That's not good. Expand
  92. Nov 2, 2013
    No Diretide No points for you! You had only 1 extra mode that kept the game entertaining even for the casual players who dont aim for 24/7 gaming. Good job you ruined it. Now we dont have anything to play for halloween and its your fault gaben.
  93. Nov 2, 2013
  94. Nov 2, 2013
    IMBA heroes
    Every update new hats
    just play on european server with 9 russians next match eu server 5 from peru 4 from russia
    if u play ap everyone pick drow riki bara..if u play ar/sd everyone sayd i cant play this hero
  95. Nov 2, 2013
    No Diretide!!!! No Diretide!!!! No Diretide!!!!No DireTIDE!!! No DireTIDE!!! No DireTIDE!!! No DireTIDE!!! No DireTIDE!!! No DireTIDE!!! No DireTIDE!!! No DireTIDE!!! No DireTIDE!!! No DireTIDE!!! No DireTIDE!!!
  96. Nov 2, 2013
  97. Nov 2, 2013
    The most terrible attitude of the players I've ever seen. Valve only care about money and in-game store than nothing really has changed, except for a recent update 6.79 which I like so many other players feel just disgusting.
  98. Nov 2, 2013
  99. Fmg
    Nov 2, 2013
    DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide(DireTide( Expand
  100. Nov 2, 2013

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Simply irresistible and addictive as hell.
  2. Sep 1, 2013
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    A great PvP game that offers some of the most intriguing and nuanced team combat around.