6.4

1. Sep 12, 2013
    The game is quite fun for a few games every 100 games played, the problem is the matchmaking is terrible.
    Playing with people who don't speak your language and have 450 pings makes for a bad game.
    The game needs a ladder or some form of progression, the games feels shallow unless you're in a pro team, then it has lots of support.
    dota often has 7x less spectators than league of legends
    that says a lot.
    most people in dota have 4-5 accounts for trading and queue skipping, this makes the game look bigger than it is. Theirs only 10% of people logged in who are actually playing in game, most idle in chat or trading.
    The best thing about dota is the graphics are great so i do hope dota wins but they need to support the casual community.
  2. Apr 19, 2014
    It used to be good, now you get communication-banned for saying stuff like "that was a bad play." Count on Valve to ruin anything that might have been good. MMR system is completely awful and if you live in the US, expect to have people who don't speak English on your team. Great game fallen to ruin by self-righteous, nanny trash company. I've never liked Valve as a company or any of their previous games. I was happy about dota because they got the original developer of the game. I have been playing Dota 2 since early beta and the game is not the same anymore.

Is it so hard to mute people you don't want to talk to through the in-game UI? Apparently Valve thinks so! Whenever I can't stand Peruvians screaming gibberish or nasally voiced 12 year olds, I just mute them. Nanny Valve doesn't trust your judgment though, so I guess they'd better mute people themselves so nobody can listen to them!
  3. Nov 2, 2013
  4. Nov 1, 2013
    Gaben raped my father and killed all my ancestors. Lord Gaben, why have you forsaken us? We praised you and built shrines for you and this is how you repay us? With Hats!?
  5. Nov 18, 2013
    I was about to try something new and... Horrible, pathetic and weak piece of crap. Boring experience, ugly and completely unbalanced game. There is no any civilised multiplayer, this is rather gang bang. Hordes of rapists running around in large groups, spamming most powerful spells and weapons. There is no any civilised community as well. Typical Valve cheap half-product which has nothing to do with strategy or planning like excellent Warcraft III. Expand
  6. Nov 20, 2013
    A game with fantastic graphic and sound assets ruined by the multiplayer portion of the game. The single player training missions and Valve's commitment to keeping the game alive are the only saving graces of this free to play game.

The main part of the game is multiplayer. While Valve have exceeded in delivering great multiplayer experiences in their past games, they've truly dropped
    dropped the ball in Dota 2. It's a team based game but it's an extremely rare occurrence for you and your team to even speak the same language or even reside on the same continent. With the size of the playerbase of Dota 2, that isn't something that can be overlooked.

In this type of game, the entire experience is dependent on team communication. And it's all bad. 95% of communication in this game is namecalling and "report" threats. I thought Counter Strike had the worst community of any multiplayer-centric game until I played Dota 2.

There are tools to get over the language barriers, but that's not the biggest problem. It's the matchmaking. Every game I've played so far has been a white wash for my team or the opponents. People call "GG" after first blood and games rarely last longer than 30 minutes. Since there's almost no penalty for leaving a game, many people abandon and the whole game becomes a waste of time.

As for actual game mechanics, I don't have any praise for those either. Ability descriptions are inconsistent, NPC AI is inconsistent, items are inconsistent, even the hero naming scheme is inconsistent. It feels like a good idea for a game bogged down by engine limitations and poor foresight from the designers. The tutorials explain a little about the game, but players are expected to know almost every ability and item before playing online which is an almost impossible feat without player coaching.

I can't recommend this game to anyone unless they love tower defence and they're playing it offline with bots.
  7. Jan 7, 2014
    There is no point in playing this game. Seriously, think about it. You win a couple of matches, then what? You get a few items, then what? It's the same map, over and over again. The same heroes, the same ability spams, everything's the same. Where does it end? Nothing ever changes. You might get an item every now and then, which you can't sell/trade unless you spend real money on other non-existent items. What would be the point of getting better at this thing? The game exists solely to cash in on people's nostalgia/boredom/stupidity. Nothing more. Basically, you'd be paying valve to not care what you think, to pair you with spoiled children or bored idiots that have no real life accomplishments so that you may be flamed and insulted because of their own incompetence. Why would any normal person play this game, is beyond comprehension. Utterly pointless. Expand
  8. Nov 2, 2013
  9. Jan 8, 2014
    No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores. Expand
  10. Dec 5, 2013
    When I decided to give this a try, I was already aware of its infamous reputation for being harmful. All of the negative rumors you hear are true. It will make the most friendly of people aggressively competitive, while ignoring the game's extremely low fun factor.

Dota 2 is bad.
  11. Nov 1, 2013
    only cosmetic updates.....nothing else, the game has gone dead

with weekly updates, it used to be entertaining, but without any sort of timeline on them, the game feels stale
  12. Nov 6, 2013
    The tutorial is commendable but for those who never play RTS or RPG games it's still confusing as hell. There's no dexterity required for this game as it's purely tactics (yes, tactics not strategy like chess) but with the wealth of characters and stupid number of items, it's nearly impossible to even begin to understand this game. Graphics are bad, it's slow and feels unpolished. Boring and overly complex. Expand
  13. Sep 17, 2013
    one of the most boring games i ever played. honestly.
    also the online community consitsts of 99% garbage talking kids. not sure how anyone can spend more than 4 hours on this.

better get warcraft 3 and the original dota mod.
  14. Nov 2, 2013
    It is not the communities fault, it is the match makings fault that puts all type of skill levels together and combine that with the force 50% win/loss ratio...you're going to have a bad time.
  15. Jul 11, 2014
    Dota 2, the game advertised as hard, awesome and good by it's fans. I played the fancy new tutorial, it taught me nothing. I played a bot game, it taught me nothing. I played against players, it taught me the following:

- You need to tell everyone when someone exists your screen, they can't look it up from their minimap.
    - Call everyone feeder while having most deaths
    - Spam league
    forums about how skillcap Dota 2 is.
    - Last hitting is very easy
    - Gold is easily gained
    - Snowballing is super fast and strong, games can be decided by any lane just by getting killed 2 times.

Overall pretty average game, graphics are nice and stuff. But the real thing is, it's not that hard game. Sure learning 90 champions is hard, but if i can find figure out most of the stuff in 20minutes that my team was getting beaten, anyone can do it.

My first pvp game was a flamefest, i did not call an missing player and my team died to him....3 times in row for a double kill. Then i was the person with mental issues, i'm feeding and should go back to League. While still holding more farm, less deaths and more income than my team that composed of players who had much more hours in the game than i did (less than 3). MatchMaking sucks as bad as Riot's, even worse i might add. Every player in my pvp games has experience with the game that i don't. So i'll check the game out in 6 months or so again to see what they done with it. Prolly nothing.

Short version:

- Requires more skill than league. [ ] Yes [x] NO
    - Full of A-Holes. [x] Yes [ ] NO
    - Overhyped and boring [x ] Yes [] NO
    - Lucky Valve has other quality game under their name [x] Yes [x] Yes

Don't buy anything in this game until you are sure it's good.
  16. Nov 2, 2013
    NO Normal matchmaking system
    New updates is new sets and tickets.
    MORE TICKETS AND HATS
    MORE! MORE TICKETS AND HATS! MORE!
  17. Aug 16, 2013
    Re-review. I tried to get into Dota 2. I can get past the gloomy graphics and all the vocal toxic players but I simply don't have fun Dota 2. Owning people in dota2 doesn't feel good. The animations in this game are smooth and look good, but skill sounds and animations don't make me feel good, there's just something missing in Dota 2. Honestly, I feel restricted, I feel like I'm playing in a box and it makes the pace feel slow.

I have to praise it's item and stat system though. There are a of items with interesting actives. Also leads don't mean a lot, you can come back from anything and with buy-back unlike other MOBAs which have many games which are drawn out, boring, predictable, sometimes just a facepalm montage and tedious to play. This game has had tons of time and alterations so I doubt the balance is bad. I felt like I really wasn't giving it enough credit because I didn't enjoy it.
  18. Dec 22, 2013
    Impressive how you can take one of the most loved games the world over, and come out with such a terrible sequel. Based on a Blizzard game- I suppose the devs are doing what they can to follow suit.

This is the Diablo 3 of mobas.
  19. Mar 9, 2014
    Don't believe the positive reviews, this is a terrible game. In theory its cool but its impossible to find a game, when you do someone always quits so one team is unbalanced, often this triggers one or more people quitting so you end up on a team down 1-2 players.

Then if you're on that team you're up against it and if the other team gets a couple of kills you're quickly stuck in a 40
    minute trudge to your inevitable loss. In theory its awesome but in practice awful. Expand
  20. Nov 2, 2013
    NO Diretide.
    NO New Heroes.
    NO Normal matchmaking system.
    NO Rank system.
    NO Communication from developers with the players.
    Only hats, hats, hats, hats, hats, HATS AND HATS!
  21. Mar 22, 2014
    Horribly unbalanced game. Community is full of immature people. Game for people with no lives. Not for a casual video game player. Would not recommend this trash to anyone.
  22. Nov 3, 2013
    Time-consuming pointless game, with a toxic community.
    It's not fun, it won't lead you anywhere, it'll try to make you addicted to it and ever-miserable for being so.
    Nothing to see here except vanity.
  23. Nov 2, 2013
  24. Nov 2, 2013
    Fun for the first 1500 hours. Boring after you done/seen pretty much every build and hero played. Used to be a great mod. Now ruined by valve corporation.
  25. Dec 30, 2013
    One of the most boring gaming experiences I've had in my life. Valves worst game by far.
    .............................................................
  26. Dec 8, 2013
    REMOVE MUTE SYSTEM VALVE !
    this game is great itself. But mute system is UNFAIR, since you dont need to have reason or not to make someone being muted impossible to chat with your teammates about strategies.... This is just RUINING the game. This system only exists on dota2, and Valve would never put such system in TF2 or any other of their game. REMOVE MUTE SYSTEM
  27. Nov 2, 2013
    Even League of Legends cares more about its community than Dota 2, No diretide, No communication. The community slams new players. Match making is horroble, placing players who speak english with teammates that bad mouth them in spanish.
  28. Nov 1, 2013
    Getf your ass valve and create content for your most popular game not another dollar will be spent untill I see some content Diretide was an annual even u even said so and gone and it up. Your one of the biggest gaming developers hire some people and get to work.
  29. Nov 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Server down every day !
    Garbage report system
    Garbage game engine results in 9 games without someone being able to load and you reenter the queue
  30. Oct 19, 2013
    Would you like to get yelled at by angry nerds while playing video games? Then this game is for you. Most hostile gaming community in the world. The players are: Egotistic, egocentric, unsporting, aggressive, hostile, uncaring, mean, mistrusting, immature, callous, apathetic and incredibly pretentious while at every loss prompting everyone inside the current game to "Report player X" if someone on their team was even remotely new to the game or did any other action not sanctified by them, be it going in what lane you want, not purchasing courier/wards or simply just had an unlucky run/getting cross-classed. Expand
  31. Nov 2, 2013
    thanks for halloween No Diretide very bad
    Disband Volvo please.
    Being a big fan of DotA 1 for so many years, I have to downvote this.ewrwfdfsafasfdsa
  32. Nov 3, 2013
    The community in this game is horrible, and as an multiplayer game, that ruins pretty much the whole game. Everyone is at odds with each other, on their own team, and making the smallest mistakes causes everyone else on the team to come down on you like a stack of bricks. But not just that. Its matchmaking system is flawed and obtuse. There is no transparency in the rankings at all. The connection is horrible. If you disconnect, chances are that you won't be able to join the game again. If you do, you'll be so far behind that it isn't fun anymore. All the updates for this game fix none of the problems, instead, what does the developer do?

The developer just releases cosmetics patches to milk more money from this game. It's not getting better. Don't play this game, don't try it, and don't touch anything by Valve ever again. If you want to play a MOBA, there are plenty of better choices out there.
  33. Nov 18, 2013
    Not really understandable why they did not just take the real Dota as it was improved graphics and wiped out some flaws of the game. Also silly and unexplainable new features like no surrender option which in case u have an afk in ur team makes it impossible to finish the game quickly even though its long lost. Support and cummunity are the worse than any other i have ever seen.
  34. Nov 2, 2013
  35. Nov 20, 2013
    the community is trash, there is not rating, or anything that help you not to be paired with "noobs" (LOL has this i believe) and HoN definitely has it, so yeah, valve is more worried about selling sets and stuff for heroes and make money instead of improving the game
  36. Nov 3, 2013
    Once apon the time was a legendary wacraft 3 mod called Dota, all Europe played this mod it computer clubs (game clubs). That game had perfect balance, nice graphics for its time and the most important perfect balance. Rock-paper scrissors principle was it its grace. In the end of 2010 company named valve desided to make a sequel. Big mistake. Everything we loved dota 1 was destoyed and raped. First they did was DONAT to make money from the game. U see? VALVE DOES NOT NEED A GOOD GAME. ALL THEY WANT IS MAKING MONEY ON THE PLAYERS. Thats sad, they had such a good experince with left 4 dead in making a perfect online game. and such a fail lwith dota 2. Shame on u valve! Expand
  37. Aug 6, 2013
    I've tried it quite a bit. Gave it a fair chance. Not impressed. Pros: - It's a MOBA challenging addictive. - Very good user interface outside of the game. Cons: - Chaotic compared to other MOBAs (can't even tell what's passable terrain). - Too few improvements over the Warcraft 3 engine DOTA. - Crappy community. - No solo ranking system. - Extremely unbalanced. - Matches are almost exclusively decided in 10 minutes, yet you have to player longer and finish the one-sided match. Expand
  38. Nov 2, 2013
    Jus euboko prodota rulit valve sasaite shkolniki sosaite Dirtride gavno vse tlen xui ,Jus euboko prodota rulit valve sasaite shkolniki sosaite Dirtride gavno vse tlen xui ,Jus euboko prodota rulit valve sasaite shkolniki sosaite Dirtride gavno vse tlen xui ,Jus euboko prodota rulit valve sasaite shkolniki sosaite Dirtride gavno vse tlen xui ,Jus euboko prodota rulit valve sasaite shkolniki sosaite Dirtride gavno vse tlen xui ,Jus euboko prodota rulit valve sasaite shkolniki sosaite Dirtride gavno vse tlen xui Expand
  39. Nov 3, 2013
    The game is great, the community is the single worst community of games i have ever met, because this game is team based it ruins the game, on top of this the lack of seasonal events that have been promised that have not happens letting down many players of this game, making us further think that valve do not listen to what the people want and are more interested in making hats.
  40. Nov 2, 2013
    This game is pretty much inferior to WC3 dota in every way besides graphics. It certainly doesn't help that all Valve does is add cosmetic items to milk it as much as possible, without giving a damn about the actual quality of the game.
  41. Nov 23, 2013
    An utter failure in all possible ways a game can fail. It did not take inspiration from the Warcraft 3 defense of the ancients modification: it ripped it straight out and stuck a price tag and microtransaction store in it. It's downright horrible that anyone would give this game anything higher than a 2.
  42. Nov 2, 2013
  43. Nov 1, 2013
    Don't bother; Valve gave up developing this game shortly after its release. The matchmaking is horrible, there is still no ladder or any way of measuring your skill and the game offers no short-term rewards or incentives for playing. Dota is literally a Find Match button with nothing else to offer. Check back in a couple of years to see if Valve has decided to resume developing this game.
  44. Feb 16, 2014
    Crappy game forces you to play losing matches, imbalanced heroes, HORRIBLE matchmaking algorithm, all around **** game that should have stayed on Warcraft 3, it was way better back then.
  45. Jan 8, 2014
    I gave this game a chance, I really did. I've given all these cookie-cutter MOBAs more of a chance than they deserve and I'm done. I don't see how anyone can enjoy playing this river of yet it's extremely popular?
  46. Aug 4, 2013
    I started playing this coming from League of Legends since I wanted to try something new. I highly do not recommend this game unless you know what it is going into it, it is extremely unfriendly to new users and you will probably get flamed every game even bot games. If you do play or have played DOTA 1, I recommend it since it is a nice improvement on the original. If you play/played League of Legends, DOTA 2 will probably get you to start playing League of Legends again as it did for me. While most people think the simplified stats make it easier, I find that it just means if your primary stat is intelligence, you're getting screwed late game.

Pros:
    - Very in-depth for this type of game and the champion interaction is refreshing.
    - In-game graphics are a lot better than League of Legends and the client loads significantly faster.
    - Truly Free to play since you don't need to unlock champions with any game currency or what not.
    - In-game voice chat works well most of the time, although the sensitivity slider has been very buggy.
    - Made me appreciate League of Legends more.

Cons:
    - Community is the worst since... well... ever...
    - The game has a ridiculously steep learning curve and is painful to climb.
    - Every champion is overpowered at first so that no thought has to be put into balancing, then late game anyone that relies on abilities gets the shaft since they don't scale with your stats.
    - Turrets hardly seem to do any damage and I've seen turret dives at very early levels.
    - Losing gold upon death just means you are even further behind then before making the game quickly snowball in the winning team's favor.
    - Denying minions and turrets is also aggravating as heck when you are short on gold.
    - Only one map and one mode.
    - League of Legends has Runes and Masteries, while not very powerful alone, they do add a lot of customization that dota 2 needs since the only customization at the moment is purely aesthetic.
    - The camera sucks... period. It never zooms back far enough so you end up having to take focus off of your character just to auto-attack.
    - Roaming the map is annoying at times since trees are misleading upon which you can walk through and which you can't.

Overall: If you played DOTA 1 and loved it, play DOTA 2. If you have never played DOTA or even LoL, try League of Legends first.
  47. Jan 6, 2014
    A Fan base so immature it could be compared as a too the infamous Call of Duty fans.

Definitely an unfriendly game too play, On Dota, there is no hiding the chat, so guaranteed first time playing you'll see your name being thrown around for how terrible you are at this game you've just began playing.
  48. Nov 2, 2013
    VALVE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼
    Volvo betrayed us all. No Diretire. No communication. Nothing.
  49. Nov 14, 2013
    Superb game, far superior than any moba in this market. From the mechenics to the strategic things in this game in general. In this game you need a brain biger than your p*nis so you know this is not halo or cod.
  50. Jul 17, 2013
    I really love this game, so many improvements have been made over Dota1. Juking around trees is easier and feels more natural, smooth animations allow for much easier last hitting, beautiful visual effects with the exception of a few hero models but the game is still treated like a beta by the devs so they're constantly working on improving things. The match making is a bit flawed at the moment but it will get fixed. The pay model is great as you have the hole game for FREE without having to buy anything which may give you even 1% advantage over the enemy which is great. Most of the cosmetics are great and those that are implemented and hated on by the community get removed(of course who bought them will keep them though). I can talk about a lot of things but I just wanted to cover a few things Dota2 has improved from Dota1. It's a very fun and challenging game which I recommend you try out(but first please play the tutorial). Expand
  51. Nov 29, 2013
    dota 2 is a pretty terrible game, it rips off of what made league of legends and awesomenauts such great games and boils it down into simplified nonsense, but i think its still pretty good
  52. Nov 2, 2013
    game is shi t game is shi t game is shi t game is shi t game is shi t game is shi t game is shi t game is shi t game is shi t game is shi t game is shi t
  53. Jul 30, 2013
    I was not too impressed by this game. I am a big fan of the old DOTA, and also HON. It feels like you have constant lag in this game, and the graphic ain't that much to praise. No this is a no go, I rather go play DOTA 1 to be completely honest.
  54. Jul 30, 2013
    Background: I'm a big Dota gamer since Dota1, played Dota2 for 1k++ games since beta till launching Positive: + much more balanced hero compared to dota1 + more distributed hero usage compared to dota1 + active community + incredible concept of changing appearances with customize clothings etc Negative: - horrible communities that focus only on "winning", if you make a mistake/newbie then you'll get horrible f*** words. I pity new people who join the game. The game is no longer game for fun.
    - horrible matchmaking, you won't get matched with people similar with your skill. So the game will be very unbalanced for the player skills. You can play 8 games and get straight win because the enemies are too weak, and likewise.
    - reports are not thouroughly analyzed. Example: 4 party team me (outsider). They died and kept feeding, I advice them with really polite and gentle words, they are pissed because they lose, they report, I get muted (because they're 4 people reports versus me alone).
    - too many pauses to wait people with horrible connections, 1 game minimum a 5-10 minutes pauses (of total 30-40 minutes of game play 30% of your time waiting people to reconnect)
    - no give-up for "too obvious" game that you will lose, making the game boring
  55. Nov 2, 2013
    Matchmaking sucks.
    Russians everywhere.
    No new heroes.
    Annual Halloween event isn't annual after all.
    Since beta Valve is doing less and less.
    6.79 patch is garbage.
    No done since TI 3.
    Yet Valve still tries to dry us of money with couriers, sets and ****.
    This game is starting to suck.
    You shouldn't be Dota 2 developer Valve.
  56. Aug 7, 2013
    Dota 2 is an unfinished unpolished game totally lacking in any kind of balance or more importantly user friendliness it is one of the worst games I have ever played in terms of easy of play with no guarantee of a fair match or people not quitting/people being of an equal level. Surely they know to group people ranked on ability not account level. A total waste of time in its current state. If you want a reliable competitive game where you know you are going to have a fun game weather you win or loose play halo or cod or league but by no means give any of your time to Dota 2. I have never lost but had fun in that game Wait 6 months and try again. Expand
  57. Nov 2, 2013
    This gaem has turned into hats sale. No new heroes, no bug fixes, no communication. How Valve can reject so big community? GG, Valve. ded gaem

RIP DIRETIDE 2013-2013
  58. Nov 2, 2013
    Volve how can u see now dota 2 have just 4.3 because nobody want to see in EVERY f**king update just new items. All want to play for another heroes. Many peoples wanna play new event but u of course want just make money. In beta this game was better than now was REALLY good updates not fkng set's spam not "BUY COMPENDIUM BECAUSE MY MOM WANNA EAT IN THE BEST RESTOURAN'S"
    Now this game
    update's just set's set's set's Expand
  59. Jun 28, 2014
    AS a dota 2 player of to years this game is **** because of the matchmaking they force you to play with some unhumain retards the MMR system is a joke and that's why league of legends is better
  60. Aug 12, 2013
    Ok where do i start witch this game, Poor graphics Buggy The match making is awful the wait time to get into games is shocking the learning curve is mental and the tutorials you get don't really help. Boring to play Items and collectibles are confusing and offer no help. community that play the game are 80% idiots and when you do "report" them for being idiots quitting mid match ect nothing seems to happen and to add to it all the game is so repetitive you will find yourself doing the exact same thing during each of the hour long matches. I gave this game 1 because its free and free games are good......well....was good... Expand
  61. Aug 12, 2013
    I wouldn't mind this game if it wasn't for the community the first online game i played and this is day one i don't do too good not bad but not good and some guy just lays into me so want i'm not perfect at the start so i try again it gets worse and worse until i can't take it anymore.
  62. Aug 22, 2013
    I am over 300 hours into DoTA 2. The game has it positives and negatives. For me being a solo player, in the end, the negatives outweigh the positives. I do not mind the graphics and the game play. Neither is ground breaking or amazing but I like them. It is nice to have all the heroes available from the start. Too bad over half the heroes are never used. I have tried many of the so called weak underpowered heroes and to be honest, they do have problems. Over-all, it is a well-made game that is very unforgiving to new players. The tutorial is great and helps players to learn the basic laning skills and abilities of each hero. However, once you start playing against other people, everything changes. Hopefully you are a patient person or you might end up breaking your monitor in frustration. Part of that frustration comes from the community: very toxic and nasty. The reporting system for the game is a joke which means that the behavior will not change anytime soon. Here is my advice, if you have a group of friends who can log on with you and will work together as a team; then you have the potential to be successful in DoTA 2 and have fun. I am guessing this applies to middle/ high school students and college students with too much time. If you have a job and responsibilities and can only solo play, you might want to pass on this game and find something else. League of Legends has a somewhat nicer community and a better reporting system. The game is a lot more forgiving to new players; however the same problem of needing a group if you want to become ranked still applies. Anyway, play at your own risk if you are a solo player. Expand
  63. Aug 22, 2013
    been a fan of the game since warcraft days. Can't fault the game play at all. HOWEVER, it literally disconnects be at least 5 times a GAME. There is NOTHING wrong with my internet nor am i running anything else. i know its free and all but this is TERRIBLE. I've stopped playing looking to start playing on League of Legends.

what a let down, sort it our valve.
  64. Aug 24, 2013
    What a huge let down! The game is not engaging at all. Boring, and carries with it too many issues from the WC3 original. Fan boys rate this really high, but don't believe all the hype.This game lost a huge opportunity to improve on the MOBA genre.
  65. Nov 2, 2013
  66. Nov 2, 2013
    Very very bad game...Very very bad game...Very very bad game...Very very bad game...Very very bad game...Very very bad game...Very very bad game...Very very bad game...
  67. Sep 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I play dota 1 for 10 years. dota 2 is a very bad copy of the game mechanics are good but lacks a system for calculating statistics more detailed (had to implement by taking example from the game server dota 1 dotalicious, the absolute best ever!). Because the statistics are not carefully considered in all respects, and the games are not properly balanced, some players are ridiculous. It also lacks a system of more detailed report of the moderators and active (arrive ban for no reason).
    A report must be done according to minutes of the game (by checking the replay) and not because a player is annoying you. There is also lack of statistical reports received to check if the player is a recidivist. The reports received must remain on the listing so you can avoid some player. It lacks the ability to swap heroes! The objects to buy are thrown bulk (strength, intelligence, agility, support, all at once!). The break is ridiculous anyone can resume the game (there dovrebber be guaranteed a break of 30 seconds and extendable from your allies than 30 seconds each with a command to the need), usable only once, and the possibility of reactivating only by those who has begun the game break.
    Overall, in short, is a real disappointment I was hoping to find (after closing dotalicious), a game of dota competent, accurate, instead I find myself with a child's play ...
    Truly awful in everything!!
  68. Dec 4, 2013
    One of the most overrated game of all time, it is not really good, a big learning curve, graphics, a stupid item system, and you need to have steam to play it. What a piece of
  69. Sep 13, 2013
    The game is very unbalanced, most of the time a pool of around 20 out of the 100 heroes are picked. Not even because they're the most fun, but because they will win you the game. It might not deserve quit as low as what I have given it but trust me, it's not worth your time.
  70. Sep 21, 2013
    This game get's old really fast. The objectives are linear and boring. When I play a strategy game I usually favorite skirmishes, this game has skirmishes[kind of], but I wouldn't recommend anyone to play them. The A.I. is stupid and does not support the major areas that get attacked. Also, half of the team goes to one corner of the map, while the other goes to the other corner. Yeah, not much to play in here. Expand
  71. Sep 16, 2013
    I found this game to be to stale. It's just so difficult to enjoy when you have an hour of repetitive gameplay, really reminds me of D3 and that's supposed to be an insult. I noticed that the other players were very rude and hostile to beginners, and really made my experience even more negative.
  72. Nov 3, 2013
    Where's Diretide valve? You said there'd be Diretide. DIRETIDE DIRETIDE DIRETIDE DIRETIDE DIRETIDE DIRETIDE DIRETIDE DIRETIDE DIRETIDE DIRETIDE DIRETIDE
  73. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is not designed to be successful. It is still designed with the "custom game" mentality of the original: it is not one that seems to even WANT to have a large player base. That said, it is an improved version of the original and fun when things go your way if you stick around long enough.

Let me elaborate on my statement that it is not designed to be successful: the learning
    curve is steep, and painful, even for those who are very familiar with the genre. Until you are at a high competitive level, once you are down you stay down. There are many champions that are very strong against new players that are not very good at all at higher levels of play very anti-fun mechanics leave you muttering and wishing to give up, which is not an option until your opponents choose to end the game, no matter how far behind you are.

The lack of protection for new players does allow for more fun and wild champion design, but may not be worth the price. The community remains nearly as toxic as the original, and when you can choose to play a champion that is permanently invisible or can dash across the map and stun you for the entire time it takes to kill you, this isn't surprising.
  74. Jul 1, 2014
    I'm sure my humble review will never get paid attention to, but I feel like I know the game fairly good being a player starting from 2007 to now. I have seen the lobbies of eurobattle.net, 5.84b crawled with bugs, and played on custom servers for different regions.

All I have to say is Valve has ruined the game ruining the lobby mechanics with a broken matchmaking system, linking
    players who are completely different by language and region to play a competitive game where every player's mistake is punished heavily by the game mechanics.

Back in the day when people had a set username, you used to carry your reputation around also having a network of players you used to play with from chat channels. This is very important since you can have balanced matches with people in your region or your interest in custom made lobbies that you HAVE TO use in order to play.

The current situation is you end up playing with adolescent kids who can't speak a word of english nor know the game, even in "high" brackets at 4-5k MMR. They can ruin your gaming experience and leave without a punishment, lowering your MMR thus pulling you down to play with players exactly like him.

I can't stand the game I grew up playing is ruined by this so called "community" oriented company who only uses this game to just milk money out of people. They are not interested in making a better game, they are interested in one thing and one thing only, making PROFITS.
  75. Sep 26, 2013
    A great game till you play online.... PUGs are just impossible to win more than 1 in 10 fights, so unless your in a pre-set group your not going to win, which is a shame, because I can see how it would be a lot of fun in a well matched fight.
  76. Oct 7, 2013
    As stated before first, i gave a 10 points review but by viewing the other users reviews i change mine to 0, and there are 11 reasons.
    1. Matchmaking: The algorithms used by valve are just horrible you don't know who youre gonna play with or if he/she even speaks your language(even if you select just spanish or just english). you can get to play with noobies or with pros and worse you can
    get a mixture of both, so in a game you're a pro and you get a guy that knows how to play 2 that have an idea and 1 that has just started playing and the other team gets 4 good players and 1 that doesn't. thats an example but its even worse than that cause usually you get noobs all the time that think they can play and they dont and the leave, making you lose the just because someone was trolling them or because they got to stressed.

2. Report System: the RS is just lame. it looks like they didn't even thought about it. it gives you3 options either to much talking, abuse of skills, and i dont remember the third xD. this gives a chance to bash the hell out of new players by "pro" players or people who think they are by saying report X person because he is a noob.

3. DotA Gameplay: The original dota was just as harsh as this one. i mean you don't know how to play DotA, don't come and play DotA 2 because your gonna get insulted like never before.

4. Nothing New: It has the same characteristics of DotA 1 except for grapics that are better but the animation problems are still the same,what do i mean by this? in DotA a certain kind of hero let's say i.e. a wizard would lift his arms up then point at one direction and cast a spell then stood there for 1 sec doing nothing that's the spell animation of the hero, now when you actually got to learn how to stop this animation from happening all the way, you might say that you know basics. in DotA 2 you have this same problem but as i have tried there's no stopping some animations, you just have to wait for the 2 sec animation and get pounded while your at it.

5. Shop: I don't know why they changed the shop style, if they didn't change anything else why the shop? DotA players knew what letters to what items to buy, now they're numbers. it completely obliges you to learn all the new numbers and it's just lazy.

6. The Pro Gameplay: DotA stays the same for pros once you get used to the new commands and the shop.

7: Team matchs: Another Matchmaking error, once you get a few players that you qualify as "good" and add them as friends, you can get a team and search with them for matches. This is great if you're on the team. Horrible if you're not. you might be a pro but get to play with 5 people that know DotA and you get 4 of them that don't, Result: POUNDED.

8. Bugs: There are some known bugs out there that you might not know like being in the shadows or a certain kind of spot that even if you're right beside the hero you won't see them, again if you don't know how to play you're screwed.

9. Basics: The tutorial gives you a veeeeeeery small minded picture of what the game really is, it actually gives you one or two good pointers like, last hitting, and buying potions but that's about it. thats not DotA.

10. Microphone: the mic feature is great...if you the language of the people that are speaking it, if not it's just annoying, and worse there are some people whose mics sound ALL THE TIME, like you hear them breathing and stuff like that, just annoying.

11. Community: Again, if you want to play DotA 2, Learn how to play DotA or practice till you can beat the out of Unfair bots, then youre ready to play with people and get ready to be insulted, mistreated, trolled, reported unfairly, screamed at, etc. the community SUCKS. and i mean it. im a pro player and i understand the anger of other players when they get noob players, but i actually surpassed that, now i know that a noob player can be taught, a player that "thinks" he is good, doesn't want to be taught and actually will insult you if you try to give pointers,so in my experience, youre a newbie, say it from the beginning so someone that know how to play helps you but then again, try to beat unfair bots then play with people.

12. Given all of these critics the matchmaking, the report system, the anti-newbie community, the gameplay,etc. i think DotA 2 is a great game for people that know how to play it. but a NIGHTMARE for people that dont.
  77. Oct 9, 2013
    Repetitive, but that's for some reason what a lot of people like. Although there are indeed dozens of heroes to choose from, in my opinion the game gets... boring. Not only that, but to actually PLAY the game without being called a "feeder" you have to play with bots for a week. And heck, I don't like that! I want to jump in the game immediately and have fun, not get swarmed by objectives I have no idea on what to do, or terms I have no idea what they mean. Also, it's just dull... the game takes forever to start in the first place and combat is rather boring. In general, though critics say "superb", I say "whatever". Expand
  78. Nov 2, 2013
    Only the graphics are good, the SLOW animations, and heroes that seem to be desing with no balance in mind ruin the game.
    You will often find people complaining about heroes, they may be balanced in the numbers but there are many skills that are mechanically OP, like traveling the whole map to hit someone and then lock them in stuns with a RGN stun ability.
    Huge lack of balance while in
    other mobas you can only find maybe 1 or 2 OP characters that are then rebalanced. Expand
  79. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is not as exciting or fun as others would make it seem. It is incredibly unbalanced, and you will be forced to lose game after game. Of course, this is all while you are being forced to sit through the whole game and get helplessly demolished. More than anything, DOTA 2 is a massive waste of time. There are many other fun and competitive games that are much better alternatives to this game. Expand
  80. Nov 5, 2013
    Give DIRETIDE

A game this big... with this amount of players...
    It's just impossible to not do a Halloween event.
    Every single comparable game does have a Halloween event...
    I just fail to see how it is possible for this to happen.
    Volvo should really fix this problem.
  81. Oct 21, 2013
    DOTA II has a horrible Community that makes the game far less enjoyable than it could be. New players are turned away because of this and older players have a worse time leading to further negativity towards other players.

The graphics aren't the worst, but they aren't that good. For a game that thrives on detailed team-play and champion strategies it stunts the potential. The only
    reason this game could be considered as more difficult than other games in this genre would be the graphics and lingering champion game-play. The graphics make it difficult to see what exactly is going on and doesn't get much easier as you progress. Pretty much every champion has at least one ability that will root/stun/slow ect. for around 5 seconds. When a game has that kind of kill security it doesn't matter if the champions are Balanced.

I've played many other Game in this genre and besides HoN they were all much more enjoyable than DOTA II. When I first played a game or two It was extremely easy compared to league of legends or other similar games. It may be more difficult to see what's going on but the spells are so overpowered on all the champions that it was easy coming from game that have underpowered spells.

The worst thing About DOTA II would be the Item system that has been Implemented. It's just ridiculous how it's not user friendly at all. This game has such a bad In-Game and Community Experience that players Uninstall it after playing 1-3 matches. The fact that this game was for sale when it had been released and is now free to play should tell you all you need to know about it. I recall having been gifted the game through Steam and then having loads of copies put into my inventory to give to other steam members. It was just sad.
  82. Nov 3, 2013
    Nothing new added for half a year besides cosmetic money-grubbing items...
    - Garbage auto-report system...
    - Garbage matchmaking...
    - Horrible community and player base...
    - Valve...

Yep, stay as far away as possible guys. This is cancer.
  83. Nov 2, 2013
    Volvo forgot about diretide but remembered the hats Volvo forgot about diretide but remembered the hats Volvo forgot about diretide but remembered the hats Volvo forgot about diretide but remembered the hats Volvo forgot about diretide but remembered the hats Volvo forgot about diretide but remembered the hats Volvo forgot about diretide but remembered the hats Volvo forgot about diretide but remembered the hats Volvo forgot about diretide but remembered the hats Volvo forgot about diretide but remembered the hats Expand
  84. Nov 1, 2013
    Lack of updates. 110 days since
    Abbadon. No halloween event this year. The game need attention it has not been getting and it shows, badly. would gladly rate higher if match making, heros, and updates were fixed.
  85. Nov 1, 2013
    LoL DotA.

Riot Games is the example of all company should follow for an e-sports free to play game.

DotA 2 is a complete fail in all his aspects.
  86. Nov 2, 2013
    Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Give tide Expand
  87. Jan 3, 2014
    terrible match making........ terrible comminty i play more than one year more than 1000 game
    resolt nothing steall i have to play with noobs with terrible people sorry valve no more dota 2 speacialy after last ridiculus match making thing
  88. Nov 1, 2013
    I reallly enjoyed this game But after the game was officially release. Valve has shown they made enough money off people like me buying keys in the beta. Now they have completely forsaken us F*CK YOU VALVE F%CK YOU DOTA DEVS.

YOU CAN'T JUST IGNORE THE PEOPLE WHO GIVE YOU MONEY!
  89. Nov 2, 2013
    Worst development team ever.
    The best game in steam.
    No new heroes,no event for halloween..
    The game itself is great..But valve ruins everything
    I'll quit..Dont try this game.
  90. Nov 8, 2013
    Great game, lots of effort coming from Valve.
    Completely free to play if you do fall for the awesome ingame store.
    Top-notch voice actors.
    Grab it now, give it a try, it is worth it
  91. Nov 1, 2013
    Hats only! NO new hero for ~3 month!! NO Diretide, NO Nothing!!!Hats only! NO new hero for ~3 month!! NO Diretide, NO Nothing!!!Hats only! NO new hero for ~3 month!! NO Diretide, NO Nothing!!!Hats only! NO new hero for ~3 month!! NO Diretide, NO Nothing!!!
  92. Nov 2, 2013
    Not buy items Not buy items Not buy items Not buy items Not buy items Not buy items Not buy items Not buy items Not buy items Not buy items Not buy items
  93. Nov 1, 2013
    I hoped this game would get me really hooked up for a long long time but for my surprise when I was going to play my first match I discovered that the community is really unsupportive not beginner-friendly I just need 3 words to describe this game WORST COMUNNITY EVER
  94. Nov 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game f*cked me thank your for game VALVE I will do not buy anything in your store more
  95. Jul 29, 2014
    where the **** techies?
    stupid idiots can't fix KNOWN bugs for COMPLETED hero
    WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GIVE UPDATE WITH TECHIES OR GTFO ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
  96. Nov 1, 2013
    A sublime and beautiful game, crippled by inept developers who care only about making a quick buck with the ceaseless addition of overpriced cosmetic items into the store. Dota could be so much more, but at the moment it is being held back by Valve's greed and laziness.
  97. Nov 1, 2013
    No communication, too many unfixed as well as unadressed bugs and a hats only policy justify this rating.
    Furthermore, the greedy actions of the company and the undesireable balance make this game a real joke and nothing but a waste of time. I highly suggest to play League of Legends or Heroes of Newerth instead.
  98. Nov 1, 2013
    Dota i mean original wc3 was greatest game because of its gameplay. All the dota 2 dev team need to do is just port original concept on new engine and add some cool features. Around 4 years and still not all hero ported and not all mods we have. In the last year they slow down with new heroes and features. But they speed up with "HATS". Nice. Just nice. Second TF. Valve created a machine for making money. They dont actually want dota become greater. They dont want to do something that will show that Dota 2 greatest game. But they need to do it cos dota 2 must be best MOBA game, because its all started from dota. And yes in dota one every 6.x9 version wass added with secret quest. It was a tradition. Diretide can become such tradition. But no, they dont want to celebrate with community. They dont even want to say us "Hey, community, have a nice hollydays". VALVE killed orgignal map and created just a shadow of past grandeur. Expand
  99. Nov 2, 2013

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Simply irresistible and addictive as hell.
  2. Sep 1, 2013
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    A great PvP game that offers some of the most intriguing and nuanced team combat around.