6.4

1. Nov 1, 2013
    The basis for a succes was there, but looks like at Valve they have stopped caring about this game as the development has slowed down to a crawl and it's taking waaaaaay to long for them to update the game, fix the plethora of bugs, fix the awful matchmaking system, add new heroes and new game modes. To add insult to injury, they have absolutely no respect for their player base and refuse to communicate with them at all.
    The game has reached a peak of 550k players online 4 months ago, and it has since stopped growing, a sign that you can only keep people interested with cosmetic items for so long.
  2. Sep 12, 2013
    The game is quite fun for a few games every 100 games played, the problem is the matchmaking is terrible.
    Playing with people who don't speak your language and have 450 pings makes for a bad game.
    The game needs a ladder or some form of progression, the games feels shallow unless you're in a pro team, then it has lots of support.
    dota often has 7x less spectators than league of legends
    that says a lot.
    most people in dota have 4-5 accounts for trading and queue skipping, this makes the game look bigger than it is. Theirs only 10% of people logged in who are actually playing in game, most idle in chat or trading.
    The best thing about dota is the graphics are great so i do hope dota wins but they need to support the casual community.
  3. Jul 30, 2013
    Background: I'm a big Dota gamer since Dota1, played Dota2 for 1k++ games since beta till launching Positive: + much more balanced hero compared to dota1 + more distributed hero usage compared to dota1 + active community + incredible concept of changing appearances with customize clothings etc Negative: - horrible communities that focus only on "winning", if you make a mistake/newbie then you'll get horrible f*** words. I pity new people who join the game. The game is no longer game for fun.
    - horrible matchmaking, you won't get matched with people similar with your skill. So the game will be very unbalanced for the player skills. You can play 8 games and get straight win because the enemies are too weak, and likewise.
    - reports are not thouroughly analyzed. Example: 4 party team me (outsider). They died and kept feeding, I advice them with really polite and gentle words, they are pissed because they lose, they report, I get muted (because they're 4 people reports versus me alone).
    - too many pauses to wait people with horrible connections, 1 game minimum a 5-10 minutes pauses (of total 30-40 minutes of game play 30% of your time waiting people to reconnect)
    - no give-up for "too obvious" game that you will lose, making the game boring
  4. Nov 1, 2013
    I hoped this game would get me really hooked up for a long long time but for my surprise when I was going to play my first match I discovered that the community is really unsupportive not beginner-friendly I just need 3 words to describe this game WORST COMUNNITY EVER
  5. Sep 13, 2013
    The game is very unbalanced, most of the time a pool of around 20 out of the 100 heroes are picked. Not even because they're the most fun, but because they will win you the game. It might not deserve quit as low as what I have given it but trust me, it's not worth your time.
  6. Nov 1, 2013
    This game has been abandoned by the developers for other projects and further micro-transactions. Furthermore, Valve has kept a radio silence, even when it would benefit the game by saying something, anything. The infamous community is only riled up when treated in this way, dragging the game as a whole down to abyssal levels.
  7. Nov 1, 2013
    They still haven't reached Wc3 parity, they don't talk to the community EVER, there is no ranked ladder at all, the game is full of bugs which have not even attempted to be fixed. They constantly release patches which only contain hats, they don't even pay enough attention to the game to release annual holiday patches. For example they completely forgot about Halloween in Dota 2 while adding Halloween content in Tf2 and CS:GO. Overall the Dota game in Wc3 is a masterpiece but Dota 2 is a garbage can due to Valves apathetic development. They are only making this game to milk people for money by adding hats and tickets. Expand
  8. Nov 1, 2013
    This game is generally terrible, with also an obnoxious and toxic community. If you are a new player or possibly interested, STAY AWAY

* Horrible community, most of which doesn't even hurl insults at you in english.
    * Thoroughly unbalanced matches, win or lose, making the first 5 minutes of the game interesting but the remaining 40 minutes a snoozefest
    * Awful game balance. Valve
    should fire whoever is in charge of game balance.
    * Puzzling or just stupid game mechanics and interface, like not being able to zoom out or "denying" allies
    * Announcers, sounds and voices that encourage toxic communication

If your cup of tea is being shouted at for 40 minutes by some random on the internet while being bored to sleep, this game is for you!
  9. Aug 6, 2013
    I've tried it quite a bit. Gave it a fair chance. Not impressed. Pros: - It's a MOBA challenging addictive. - Very good user interface outside of the game. Cons: - Chaotic compared to other MOBAs (can't even tell what's passable terrain). - Too few improvements over the Warcraft 3 engine DOTA. - Crappy community. - No solo ranking system. - Extremely unbalanced. - Matches are almost exclusively decided in 10 minutes, yet you have to player longer and finish the one-sided match. Expand
  10. Aug 7, 2013
    Dota 2 is an unfinished unpolished game totally lacking in any kind of balance or more importantly user friendliness it is one of the worst games I have ever played in terms of easy of play with no guarantee of a fair match or people not quitting/people being of an equal level. Surely they know to group people ranked on ability not account level. A total waste of time in its current state. If you want a reliable competitive game where you know you are going to have a fun game weather you win or loose play halo or cod or league but by no means give any of your time to Dota 2. I have never lost but had fun in that game Wait 6 months and try again. Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2013
  12. Nov 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dispate the fact that the game was released it's still in beta. Why it's still in beta? There are still missing heroes from the original dota (heroes that have not been ported yet), there are several missing options in the option tab, you have to edit some cfg to change them, game is poorly optimized (memory leaks that force you to restart the it after 1 single game), there are graphical artefacts caused by the engine, matchmaking is a joke (they explain how mmr works but that only shows how an 1500 mmr player end up in same team with a 3000 mmr player something that is completly wrong), when a hero spawn the game freeze, if you alt+tab the game in win xp and try to get back you end up with a blank screen and only way to get back ingame is to end task dota 2, some heroes are overpowered big time and in the last 2-3 patches nothing has been done to adress this problem, drop system is badly implemented trools, flamers, feeders get legendary and mythical items while decent and good players barely get a rare from time to time, 3 posible reports week is a bad joke for someone that play 5 games day because on average he will have to report 1 player game, mute system is badly implemented cause it cripples a team game cause the one muted is matched with unmuted players and he can't talk/answer to them, dispate the fact that the game has not implemented heroes from dota 2 valve works on cosmetics, extremely poor qualy hero graphic (abadon, omg extremely bad quality base graphic for this hero), no communication from devs part, devs refuse to listen comunity (take for example diretide 2013 there is a topic with more the 200 pages and no dev answered if there will be diretide 2013 or not, not that they answer to something), "balance patches" that don't balance anything but make some overpowered abilities even more stronger (aghanim buff for doom) and add useless things (aghanim for disruptor, disruptor is a support hero he will not get the farm for aghanim during an average game...). Those are the main reasons that make me score 2/10, it's so low because that's the score i gave to any game that is officialy released dispate the fact that it's in beta and has tones of problems. Expand
  13. Nov 1, 2013
    The developers of this game do not care the slightest about their customers. Expect zero communication with the community and hardly any content updates. Avoid this developer at all costs.
  14. Nov 1, 2013
    A failed attempt to copy an old WC3 custom map that somehow manages to have less features than said map. Dota 2 is nothing but a steaming pile of designed to nickel and dime idiots who buy into it because of retarded Internet "meme" culture suggesting Valve is anything but a scam making profit from others' work since their conception. Frequent server crashes, low-quality cosmetics priced at $35 dollars, and the most retarded "community" in all of gaming is all you can expect from this turd. Dead game. Expand
  15. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good game but:
    1) cosmetic items more important for devs than new heroesgood matchmaking systemevents in game
    2) not much official info from devs for users
    3) there is no ladder system, there was skill brackets, but Valve delete this
    etc.
  16. Jul 17, 2013
    I really love this game, so many improvements have been made over Dota1. Juking around trees is easier and feels more natural, smooth animations allow for much easier last hitting, beautiful visual effects with the exception of a few hero models but the game is still treated like a beta by the devs so they're constantly working on improving things. The match making is a bit flawed at the moment but it will get fixed. The pay model is great as you have the hole game for FREE without having to buy anything which may give you even 1% advantage over the enemy which is great. Most of the cosmetics are great and those that are implemented and hated on by the community get removed(of course who bought them will keep them though). I can talk about a lot of things but I just wanted to cover a few things Dota2 has improved from Dota1. It's a very fun and challenging game which I recommend you try out(but first please play the tutorial). Expand
  17. Aug 4, 2013
    I started playing this coming from League of Legends since I wanted to try something new. I highly do not recommend this game unless you know what it is going into it, it is extremely unfriendly to new users and you will probably get flamed every game even bot games. If you do play or have played DOTA 1, I recommend it since it is a nice improvement on the original. If you play/played League of Legends, DOTA 2 will probably get you to start playing League of Legends again as it did for me. While most people think the simplified stats make it easier, I find that it just means if your primary stat is intelligence, you're getting screwed late game.

Pros:
    - Very in-depth for this type of game and the champion interaction is refreshing.
    - In-game graphics are a lot better than League of Legends and the client loads significantly faster.
    - Truly Free to play since you don't need to unlock champions with any game currency or what not.
    - In-game voice chat works well most of the time, although the sensitivity slider has been very buggy.
    - Made me appreciate League of Legends more.

Cons:
    - Community is the worst since... well... ever...
    - The game has a ridiculously steep learning curve and is painful to climb.
    - Every champion is overpowered at first so that no thought has to be put into balancing, then late game anyone that relies on abilities gets the shaft since they don't scale with your stats.
    - Turrets hardly seem to do any damage and I've seen turret dives at very early levels.
    - Losing gold upon death just means you are even further behind then before making the game quickly snowball in the winning team's favor.
    - Denying minions and turrets is also aggravating as heck when you are short on gold.
    - Only one map and one mode.
    - League of Legends has Runes and Masteries, while not very powerful alone, they do add a lot of customization that dota 2 needs since the only customization at the moment is purely aesthetic.
    - The camera sucks... period. It never zooms back far enough so you end up having to take focus off of your character just to auto-attack.
    - Roaming the map is annoying at times since trees are misleading upon which you can walk through and which you can't.

Overall: If you played DOTA 1 and loved it, play DOTA 2. If you have never played DOTA or even LoL, try League of Legends first.
  18. Sep 17, 2013
    one of the most boring games i ever played. honestly.
    also the online community consitsts of 99% garbage talking kids. not sure how anyone can spend more than 4 hours on this.

better get warcraft 3 and the original dota mod.
  19. Aug 12, 2013
    I wouldn't mind this game if it wasn't for the community the first online game i played and this is day one i don't do too good not bad but not good and some guy just lays into me so want i'm not perfect at the start so i try again it gets worse and worse until i can't take it anymore.
  20. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is not as exciting or fun as others would make it seem. It is incredibly unbalanced, and you will be forced to lose game after game. Of course, this is all while you are being forced to sit through the whole game and get helplessly demolished. More than anything, DOTA 2 is a massive waste of time. There are many other fun and competitive games that are much better alternatives to this game. Expand
  21. Nov 1, 2013
    sets and couriers! more! Sets and couriers on every upade! No Events, Ive played on that ****ing map about 3000 hours, what about new stuff? One hero in 1 year. No Events, no feedback
  22. Nov 7, 2013
    No ladder, no ranks, no rewards. Good players are already abandoning match making to play on EEL.
    No new heroes for months. Tired as hell to play with the same heroes over and over again. And against the same heroes. Mostly with the same item builds.
    No Halloween event. Not making it for your most popular steam game, that's the way.
  23. Nov 4, 2013
    "Dota 2" by Valve: + "DotA" legacy... - Bad matchmaking system for solo players. - Bugs. - Lags. - Bad balance. - Hidden profiles. - No advanced statistics. - Cartoon graphics. - Terrible patch 6.79. - No useful updates. - Too aggressive community. - No in-game support. - No events. - No media content. - Terribly buggy torrent-browser Steam. - Too many gift boxes! - Too many hats!
    - Too many donate things!
    - And OTHER many many many bad things...

Very sad, but now the "Dota 2" looks like a game created only for receiving money players.
    Good Job, VOLVO. Next month i will play "League of LEXUS" and "Heroes of NISSAN"!!
  24. Aug 16, 2013
    Re-review. I tried to get into Dota 2. I can get past the gloomy graphics and all the vocal toxic players but I simply don't have fun Dota 2. Owning people in dota2 doesn't feel good. The animations in this game are smooth and look good, but skill sounds and animations don't make me feel good, there's just something missing in Dota 2. Honestly, I feel restricted, I feel like I'm playing in a box and it makes the pace feel slow.

I have to praise it's item and stat system though. There are a of items with interesting actives. Also leads don't mean a lot, you can come back from anything and with buy-back unlike other MOBAs which have many games which are drawn out, boring, predictable, sometimes just a facepalm montage and tedious to play. This game has had tons of time and alterations so I doubt the balance is bad. I felt like I really wasn't giving it enough credit because I didn't enjoy it.
  25. Jul 30, 2013
    I was not too impressed by this game. I am a big fan of the old DOTA, and also HON. It feels like you have constant lag in this game, and the graphic ain't that much to praise. No this is a no go, I rather go play DOTA 1 to be completely honest.
  26. Aug 24, 2013
    What a huge let down! The game is not engaging at all. Boring, and carries with it too many issues from the WC3 original. Fan boys rate this really high, but don't believe all the hype.This game lost a huge opportunity to improve on the MOBA genre.
  27. Oct 19, 2013
    Would you like to get yelled at by angry nerds while playing video games? Then this game is for you. Most hostile gaming community in the world. The players are: Egotistic, egocentric, unsporting, aggressive, hostile, uncaring, mean, mistrusting, immature, callous, apathetic and incredibly pretentious while at every loss prompting everyone inside the current game to "Report player X" if someone on their team was even remotely new to the game or did any other action not sanctified by them, be it going in what lane you want, not purchasing courier/wards or simply just had an unlucky run/getting cross-classed. Expand
  28. Oct 21, 2013
    DOTA II has a horrible Community that makes the game far less enjoyable than it could be. New players are turned away because of this and older players have a worse time leading to further negativity towards other players.

The graphics aren't the worst, but they aren't that good. For a game that thrives on detailed team-play and champion strategies it stunts the potential. The only
    reason this game could be considered as more difficult than other games in this genre would be the graphics and lingering champion game-play. The graphics make it difficult to see what exactly is going on and doesn't get much easier as you progress. Pretty much every champion has at least one ability that will root/stun/slow ect. for around 5 seconds. When a game has that kind of kill security it doesn't matter if the champions are Balanced.

I've played many other Game in this genre and besides HoN they were all much more enjoyable than DOTA II. When I first played a game or two It was extremely easy compared to league of legends or other similar games. It may be more difficult to see what's going on but the spells are so overpowered on all the champions that it was easy coming from game that have underpowered spells.

The worst thing About DOTA II would be the Item system that has been Implemented. It's just ridiculous how it's not user friendly at all. This game has such a bad In-Game and Community Experience that players Uninstall it after playing 1-3 matches. The fact that this game was for sale when it had been released and is now free to play should tell you all you need to know about it. I recall having been gifted the game through Steam and then having loads of copies put into my inventory to give to other steam members. It was just sad.
  29. Nov 1, 2013
    No communication, too many unfixed as well as unadressed bugs and a hats only policy justify this rating.
    Furthermore, the greedy actions of the company and the undesireable balance make this game a real joke and nothing but a waste of time. I highly suggest to play League of Legends or Heroes of Newerth instead.
  30. Nov 1, 2013
    Game is fun, but developer has beyond awful customer service, refuses to communicate with customers. Even the best game isn't worth playing when the developers stab you in the back. Please consider League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth, both are fun alternatives with superior communities and customer service.
  31. Aug 16, 2013

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Simply irresistible and addictive as hell.
  2. Sep 1, 2013
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    A great PvP game that offers some of the most intriguing and nuanced team combat around.