6.4

1. Aug 29, 2014
    After almost 1 year or more since it got out of the beta, the game has released about 3 major content updates.

The innovation is lackluster if you want a moba that gets constant updates and improvement to their graphics/gameplay/performance / new content, this game is not for you, is the same game it was 2 years ago, literally nothing new maybe 3-4 heroes. If you like constant

If you like constant updates youll better go search another mob.
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    a tl;dr is below.

a year and a half ago this game did deserve a 10/10 score. everything was fine, bugs were fixed (slow but it was something), communication through blogs, the dev forum and social media, Heros were added at a semi regular basis (2-4 Heros in 3 months) and Icefrogs balance patch did kick in in a 6-9 months pattern. The only thing we have left is Icefrogs Balance
    a tl;dr is below.

The only thing we have left is Icefrogs Balance patch. Valve doesnt communicate anymore, the bugfixing is so slow like never (fix 3 bugs and create 15 others) and we had 2 Heros in 8 Months (and we still need 10 to complete the pool).

i dont really care for Diretide (or the greevling at christmas) but these 2 Funmods where relaxing after some tough normal matches. but the fact that Valve doesnt communicate and doesnt work on DotA 2 anymore is unaceptable! yes Valve has its own way to work on projects but this half assed we get now is just a big YOU in the face to the Community! DotA 2 is the MOST played game on Steam with more than 5 times the players the second place has.

tl;dr

i wont recommend playing now! this game doesnt deserve a 10/10 or a 05/10 score... it deserves a -10/10 score. i never did think that i would say this but: League of Legends as it is now is by far the superior game.
  3. Nov 1, 2013
    This game had a good start, then it slowly became something else. I just don't understand why did Valve seem to abandon this game. The developing process has became really slow, but the worst thing is that they REFUSE to communicate with the community. I used to love everything Valve does, but nowadays it's just like they are a different company in a very negative way.
  4. Jul 14, 2013
    DotA2 is very much a mixed bag. They did a fairly good port regarding graphics, aesthetics and general feeling of DotA1 is in there. The game is wonderful when you get into a good game, with opponents and team mates equal of your skill. However, the game is a horrible experience when you don't. And that's the main problem of DotA2. This game has almost 0 infrastructure to support it, toDotA2 is very much a mixed bag. They did a fairly good port regarding graphics, aesthetics and general feeling of DotA1 is in there. The game is wonderful when you get into a good game, with opponents and team mates equal of your skill. However, the game is a horrible experience when you don't. And that's the main problem of DotA2. This game has almost 0 infrastructure to support it, to get you into those good games.

The most important part, the matchmaking, is utterly horrible and doesn't deliver. Also its is so non-transparent that its impossible to know anything about your game before hand. Valve doesn't seem to care about this which is very problematic. Because without a good drafting the MOBA genre is a horrible experience which degenerates quickly into a flame fest stomp which just sucks.

Also it lacks ranked play and a way to distinguish they players who are out for a casual experience or others that want a competitive approach to DotA. Putting these two types of play styles together always results in a flame fest. Valve has not solved this. And the flame fest is probably what will alienate new players from the game genre. Valve hasn't put in a adequate system to handle this. The report system they have installed is rather used to report bad play than flame fest which, of course, further will alienate new players.

So my conclusion is: Great gameplay when it works but the disastrous matchmaking and drafting severely maims this game. 4/10. Free to play, so try it... but don't expect a great experience.
  5. Nov 4, 2013
    I've played 8 years of Dota and recent events have prompted me to write this review.

Let me get this straight: I love this game. I love the community. I love the tourneys, comics, broadcasters, chickcasters and everything about the game. What I hate: Valve Corporation, and I don't want you to wait 8 years to realise this. So read on. 1. Valve is more interested in selling you

1. Valve is more interested in selling you cosmetic items and maintaining the Dota 2 economy than the actual game itself.

2. Valve has selective hearing when it comes to the Dota 2 community which is based upon the same community that build WCIII DOTA in the first place.

3. Valve does not have a habit of keeping Dota 2 players abreast with the latest developments. At the time of writing (Nov 6, 2013), the last Dota 2 blog post was on September 19.

4. Valve hosts one of the most lucrative tournaments and supports smaller tournaments, but they can't get this right Team Logos and Team Banners. Players have been complaining about this for nearly a year. Shouldn't Valve be trying to help teams? Aren't they the key to a robust competitive scene?

5. Valve has prostituted the beloved Icefrog the man that single-handedly made ARTS/MOBA what it is today. Icefrog no longer communicates with the community. That is sad.

6. Valve implemented a terrible tutorial system that doesn't help me bring new players into the game. They should take a page out of LoL.

7. Valve doesn't see a need in improving the MMR/report system, or are hiring really stupid people to do it. They should take a page out of LoL.

8. Valve somehow thinks that a ladder system is not important. This means that there are times that my five man stack meets absolutely new players. I don't think they are going to play Dota 2 long if they keep getting stomped.

9. Valve has no qualms going back on its word. They said that Diretide is an annual event. They lied. No apologies, even for those who have spent a lot of money on their product. That sucks. That is UNPROFESSIONAL.

Alright would-be Dota 2 players. You have been warned. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to click on the FIND MATCH button.
  6. Mar 2, 2014
    Dota 2 score should be split into 2, first should be about the game and I think it'sbrilliant... but it's not the game for a solo player as myself... if you have a group of friends to play it... you will all like it and maybe even win some cash in Dota2 tournaments... this part I'm giving 10

And there is the other side: community and match making. Valve does not pay any attention to match making and sometimes it feels like all dota players are russians... you play on US servers: all rusians, you play on europe servers: all russians... you play on south africa servers: all russians. Valve should do something about that problem... but I think DOTA2 is becomming official russian sport like starcraft in south korea. If you are a noob player you will hear unpleasant comment about your parents and your relatives...

Community side of the game is so terrible that its hard to give DOTA2 any fair score... the game itself is brilliant and requires a lot of teamwork... if you dont have a good team... you can still get sucked into this game and even after being shouted and hearling bad stuff about your mother... you will keep playing it and maybe even enjoy it.
  7. Jul 4, 2014
    Great game with great balance completely tainted by one of the most toxic communities out there and horrible matchmaking to give you inescapable losing struggles.
  8. Aug 31, 2014
    This game seems like fun but beware, the community will be will very rude to you if you haven't somehow managed to get good at the game without ever having played it. I received so much abuse from other players that I had to quit out. It could have been because I chose one of the most important characters and my ineptness was causing people to lost the game, but still...
  9. Dec 3, 2013
    9.5/10 gameplay wise, however it is the third point in this review that really kills the game and the reason I have stopped playing

5/10 for hero release rate (really how is there no techies or terrorblade yet after this long) 2/10 For region unlocked servers, in a game that REQUIRES communication at the higher levels of play to be successful, dota has failed at delivering that team

2/10 For region unlocked servers, in a game that REQUIRES communication at the higher levels of play to be successful, dota has failed at delivering that team play experience for any solo queue gaming (or even in my case, queuing with 2 other friends on average). People joining from other regions have latency problems and real communication problems that negatively affects the gameplay experience.
  10. Jun 13, 2014
    I think the game itself is fun but its not for people who are new to gaming cause, while it may sound good, all characters are free which is overwhelming and the tutorial doesn't give you much help. I'm a big fan of LOL so i thought that Dota 2 is an easy to understand game but even i was confused. Although the graphics / platform are better looking, I would say LOL is more. ( LOL isI think the game itself is fun but its not for people who are new to gaming cause, while it may sound good, all characters are free which is overwhelming and the tutorial doesn't give you much help. I'm a big fan of LOL so i thought that Dota 2 is an easy to understand game but even i was confused. Although the graphics / platform are better looking, I would say LOL is more. ( LOL is also gonna upgrade the graphics to a much better state next season so if you like better graphics both games are actually the same, LOL is just a bit late.) Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2013
    Great Game, Horrible Company

Great Game, Horrible Company

Love this game but the people who are in charge of making it (valve) seriously do not know how to handle a game like this. They need to figure out that in a game like this, it is not only essential but absolutely necessary to communicate with your customers or you will soon find out that you will have none. They have seriously made no attempt to tell us, the players, anything at all and it's too much at this point. Diretide 2013 was pretty much guaranteed and they let all the hype build up until the 31st where they still say nothing, and no Diretide is released. Honestly this lack of communication is damaging this game and Counter Strike somewhat died in the same way. This isn't the first time valve has been lazy too. They used to port heroes like crazy but now you rarely see one hero get added every 5 months. Bugs are everywhere, and they haven't attempted to improve ranking in the game at all. They are still adamant on hiding our ranks despite showing them in CS:GO, which is solid evidence that showing ranks will not cause everyone to simultaneously freak out and blame valve and their teammates and rage every match (Earth to Valve, this is happening already because everyone thinks they are pro and the matchmaking pretty much matches anyone together at this point).

I'm giving this a fair rating.

The game itself: 5/5

People in charge of running this game that are responsible for updates, bugfixes, new content, and old content that needs to be ported over from dota 1: 0/5
  12. Apr 26, 2014
    This game is rly bad,this game rewards bad mannered players and feeders with rares/mythical.don't play this unless ur a macoscist.
    Don't even try it unless u want to play with russians every game.
  13. Jun 4, 2014
    After 200 hours i got bored. Maybe I don't like the moba genre. You only have fun if you win. So 50% fun and 50% not fun, especially on a losing streak. This is a very repetitive game. You play on the same map all the time. There is no point in leveling, you don't unlock anything cool. It just gives a treasure box. Winning mmr and then you lose all the mmr you gained, it feelsAfter 200 hours i got bored. Maybe I don't like the moba genre. You only have fun if you win. So 50% fun and 50% not fun, especially on a losing streak. This is a very repetitive game. You play on the same map all the time. There is no point in leveling, you don't unlock anything cool. It just gives a treasure box. Winning mmr and then you lose all the mmr you gained, it feels like you wasted your time. Dota 2 needs more maps, game modes, and custom games. Expand
  14. Oct 3, 2014
    I am use to playing FPS games COD, Battlefield,Soldierfront and all my mates told me to give this game ago and i watched a few videos on it and thought it was rubbish but one day i downloaded it as my mates were very pertistent and let me tell you its one of the best games ive played by far! i have racked up 1220 hours on this game already in about 7 months and play it everyday just aboutI am use to playing FPS games COD, Battlefield,Soldierfront and all my mates told me to give this game ago and i watched a few videos on it and thought it was rubbish but one day i downloaded it as my mates were very pertistent and let me tell you its one of the best games ive played by far! i have racked up 1220 hours on this game already in about 7 months and play it everyday just about with my mates. so much strategy involved and alot of fun once you get past the first few bad games you have. trust me give this game a go you wont play anything else i promise. add me on steam and i can give anyone a hand if they want :Dord. good luck and have fun playing see you in there! Expand
  15. Aug 21, 2014
    A mediocre attempt to cash-in on the success of DotA: All-stars that thrilled the masses. Not only did they fail to improve on the mechanics of the original but they failed to stay true to the original where it counted. Style and mechanics. The issue is that the development team lacked both Eul and Guinsoo, with only Icefrog there is little they can do. The interface is hard-to-read, theA mediocre attempt to cash-in on the success of DotA: All-stars that thrilled the masses. Not only did they fail to improve on the mechanics of the original but they failed to stay true to the original where it counted. Style and mechanics. The issue is that the development team lacked both Eul and Guinsoo, with only Icefrog there is little they can do. The interface is hard-to-read, the graphics blend together to create a kind of blurry mess, many mechanics were ripped out and placed into a "classic-mode" and many new items and mechanic changes have ruined the game for those of us who enjoyed the original. Fan boys rave about how "balanced" it is but it's no more balanced than any other MOBA.

Not a BAD game by any rate. Just not a DotA game.
  16. Nov 1, 2013
    Great game but 50% of it is destroyed by a company that doesn't talk to the community, hides player statistics and doesn't implement a ladder system for matchmaking.
  17. Nov 2, 2013
    Give DIRETIDE Give DIRETIDEGive DIRETIDEGive DIRETIDEGive DIRETIDEGive DIRETIDEGive DIRETIDEGive DIRETIDEGive DIRETIDEGive DIRETIDEGive DIRETIDEGive DIRETIDE
  18. Aug 2, 2013
    I wanted to give this game a 9 out of 10 due to the good graphics compared to other MOBA games, huge character selection you can get immediately, and good tutorial as well as the interactions with the character that we chose. However I found that this game has a huge flaw which is deny creep system. Why? Because the one that can deny creep better will definitely win the game especially theI wanted to give this game a 9 out of 10 due to the good graphics compared to other MOBA games, huge character selection you can get immediately, and good tutorial as well as the interactions with the character that we chose. However I found that this game has a huge flaw which is deny creep system. Why? Because the one that can deny creep better will definitely win the game especially the solo lanes. The solo lanes gets more experience and then able to outlevel all other players and just making plays all over. So basically this game is "who can deny creeps more" in the early stage of the game. Indeed this is the redeeming feature of the game itself but I feel this feature is not necessary. However it is undoubtedly a great game and recommendable for anyone who likes hardcore mind-games. Expand
  19. Sep 2, 2013
    gameplay wise..this game does beat out other MOBA in the general 5v5 terms. However it doesnt expand beyond this and the matchmaking system..since the beta release has seen 0 improvement. It takes about 3 minutes to find a game and usally find yourself paired with heavily unbalanced teams that usually results in a one sided facerolling. Overall still fun but the matchmaking ...has seen nogameplay wise..this game does beat out other MOBA in the general 5v5 terms. However it doesnt expand beyond this and the matchmaking system..since the beta release has seen 0 improvement. It takes about 3 minutes to find a game and usally find yourself paired with heavily unbalanced teams that usually results in a one sided facerolling. Overall still fun but the matchmaking ...has seen no attention from Valve nor do they seem to be willing to devote attention to it Expand
  20. Aug 9, 2013
    When it comes to actual gameplay, DOTA 2 is my MOBA/Arts/Aeon-Of-Strife Type Game(No one cares about the genre name, get over yourselves) of choice.

This is the only truly "Free To Play" game in this genre; you start off with every hero in the game, there's no rune system that benefits those who buy rune pages/boosts/play more than you do, and all in-game store items are purely cosmetic. On top of that you can actually win cosmetic items for the heros just by playing the game.

I will not discuss the actual gameplay in great depth Plenty of people do that already, suffice to say that it has the most complex mechanics out of any Trilane-based game. The engine works very well, looks great, and lacks the issue of "spell clutter" often found in a game like Leage of Legends, where so many spells are going off in huge, obnoxious colors it's hard to know what's going on In general, once you know what to spot in Dota 2, you can analyze team fights with ease.

Whether its gameplay is better or worse than LoL, in my opinion, is personal preference to how difficult you want the basic game mechanics to be, and how casual of a player you are if you like competitive, hardcore gaming, Dota 2 is better suited to you. Both games are smooth, work well, look good, and offer satisfying gameplay, but for a different crowd.

There is a huge caveat though that I feel the need to mention, where this game lacks behind its competitors; The community, the leaver system, the matchmaking, the lack of region locks, and the HUD, altogether, make what should be an incredible gaming experience an incredibly frustrating one.

Leavers are quite rare in League of Legends. They are generally heavily penalized and most people avoid them at higher summoner levels, because of the level of time investment necessary to get a free account to such a high level, the length of bans due to leaving too often, the tribunal system, and how active the community is in using its report system and enforcing it.

The community, as hard as it is to believe, is actually worse in Dota 2 than in any other MOBA I have played, In part because of all the other issues mentioned. Integrated microphones without region locks mean people from Russia will queue as teams on American servers, not speak english, and talk in russian all game, or curse at you in english and just troll all game. A limit of 2 reports a week, which can only result in a global mute for a short period of time (and quite rarely) does absolutely nothing to deter trolls and leavers. When someone leaves a game, after 5 minutes, everyone can start leaving the game without any consequence, and whoever is left over will decide whether it's a win or a loss. Meaning some dude on your team rage quits, after 5 minutes 2 other members of your team leave, and you're instant loss.

The Matchmaking is absurd. I've played matches with people who have more than 10 times the games I've played, and people with 10 times less games than I've played, on the same team, in the same match. (100 wins 10 wins 1000 wins, for example, same team). And the gap of game knowledge is beyond apparent, it's gross and it reinforces the negativity of the community due to frustration from the new player for playing inadequately and probably being berated by his team, anger at the experienced player for losing his time, and a negative atmosphere for absolutely everyone else in the game.

One of the biggest failures in this game, is that for a game that claims to be much more suited around competitive play, it surely should have a scaling HUD, like LoL does as a casual game? Guess what, no. No it doesn't. The HUD is The size of it and pure amount of dead space blocking your screen gives you severe disadvantages when approaching situations from certain angles. Also I cannot count on 2 hands the amount of times I right clicked on the minimap while escaping from enemies (playing Radiant) and turning around and running back into their team. I've never done this in LoL, ever.

In the end, it doesn't matter if it's the best MOBA I've ever played mechanics wise if 1 out of 2 games are incredibly unpleasant to participate in because of these issues. And while I respect Valve and Icefrog for being focused on balancing above all else, not taking active measures to make the community better, and being purely passive about accepting such negative and counter-productive behavior, will eventually kill everything but the most hardcore of fans.

5/10. Only worth playing for hardcore fans of complex, deep MOBA systems Those with little time to waste, casual players, or those with difficulty dealing with trolls/leavers/bad attitudes should look elsewhere for a more fun-oriented, lower stress MOBA.
  21. Sep 5, 2013
    Okay, If you like DOTA 2, that's fine...If you like MOBA games, that's fine. If you like FREE MOBA games with a lot of characters with many different play styles, That is absolutely fine. But the second you try to defend the multiplayers community, then we need to start having a serious chat!! Now I do own a copy of DOTA 2 and I do enjoy bot matches as 'Venomancer' and I do OK on harderOkay, If you like DOTA 2, that's fine...If you like MOBA games, that's fine. If you like FREE MOBA games with a lot of characters with many different play styles, That is absolutely fine. But the second you try to defend the multiplayers community, then we need to start having a serious chat!! Now I do own a copy of DOTA 2 and I do enjoy bot matches as 'Venomancer' and I do OK on harder difficulties. I decided to go over to multiplayer one time and I ended up 0-2. The hate I got that game was horrific. I thought this was just a one off so I tried another match, I ended up not killing or getting killed for a while, and the comments started coming again, and again, and again, and again... This game to put it easily is a 2-sided coin. On one hand the game can be enjoyable if you find a character you can use effectively, however the community is honestly the worst gaming community I ever had the utter misfortune of playing with or being part of, if your not perfect instantly you will be hated. I'd say since the game is free, it's worth the price for the offline mode but that's it Expand
  22. Aug 30, 2014
    Dota 2 is based on team work so don`t complain about the comunity , you play with friends not random players if you want to enjoy the game.The only way the random players matches get beter is if valve do a paid ranked matches system or if the game wasn`t f2p. The main problem of this game is the gameplay balance once a team has 50% more kills the level and the items are to advance so theDota 2 is based on team work so don`t complain about the comunity , you play with friends not random players if you want to enjoy the game.The only way the random players matches get beter is if valve do a paid ranked matches system or if the game wasn`t f2p. The main problem of this game is the gameplay balance once a team has 50% more kills the level and the items are to advance so the only way to win is if they atack 1 by 1 or your team has a numeric advantage for 5 vs 5 they will allways win with 3 players alive so the xp or money system needs balance. Also the money system needs to allow to store the gold in your spawn or send it via courier. As for hero balance there are some overpowered ones and you can lose the game just by picking the wrong hero so that to my is not competitve because you can`t pick a hero in use by other player , the game shoud allow players to pick any hero . The ranking system is very permissive to leavears and often if you play with random players 2-3 are leavears and you are force to play 2 vs 5 or 3 vs 5 , that is not fair and shoud not be scored also the leavers punish by 1 weak to 4 weak bans. Expand
  23. Aug 21, 2013
    I can see why people enjoy it, but its not without its flaws. For a start, the learning curve is pretty aggressive, and sadly when you play, prepare to be matched up with really good players who will stomp you to death. More needs to be done in order to ease new players in. LoL is of course its direct competition, and I would say LoL does a better job at handling new players. At a higherI can see why people enjoy it, but its not without its flaws. For a start, the learning curve is pretty aggressive, and sadly when you play, prepare to be matched up with really good players who will stomp you to death. More needs to be done in order to ease new players in. LoL is of course its direct competition, and I would say LoL does a better job at handling new players. At a higher level I have no idea as I was bored of the game pretty quickly. If your not into MOBA I guess this will not change your mind. Expand
  24. Sep 27, 2013
    Kind of hard to get started in due to the existence of various game mechanics ranging from unfamiliar to difficult. The game design is decent but the UI isn't really user-friendly.
  25. Oct 16, 2013
    For the 7 hours I played it, I really enjoyed it. It is very well balanced, meaning that a very casual gamer like me still has a chance against a die hard PVP fan, which is always the first thing I search for in a game.
    I also like the 4on4 aspect of the game-not too much, not too little, just enough for 1 person in each lane and a "hunter" as I call it.
    Would easily recommend, as I have
    Would easily recommend, as I have done previously.
  26. Nov 2, 2013
  27. Nov 2, 2013
    What can I say? I fell very disappointed of DoTA 2.
    What can I say? I fell very disappointed of DoTA 2.
    That game simply can't make you pay attention. Almost zero achievements or rewards for playing, boring characters with unbalanced abilities and pointless hindrances. And the biggest flaw of all: THERE IS NO SATISFACTION AFTER WINNING. I know, some ideas are quite good (delivering items), graphic is done well as the music, but why should I play something that gives me no fun? With such a competition like League of Legends or Smite, I have no reason to play DoTA 2...
  28. Nov 9, 2013
    Addicting

In the beginning public matches are fun, but there is not much teamplay and alot of blaming. When getting the hang of it the funfactor rises but even if doing everything right there is always someone trolling, solo playing just to get items and doesn't even care to speak english on an english server. I think to be able to get the most out of this game is to play in a team
    Addicting

I think to be able to get the most out of this game is to play in a team with friends, but publlic is still an addicting experience though with alot of problems mainly no or rarely teamplay.
  29. Jan 14, 2014
    The persons that play the game are so unfriendly. They are insulting ever bad steps you make and then you never have the chance to show your real strength. Even when your really getting better you'll make a little error and get insulted by persons that are newer then you to the game. Those bad behaviors are then showed to the new players and 94% of the players are haters. Either turn allThe persons that play the game are so unfriendly. They are insulting ever bad steps you make and then you never have the chance to show your real strength. Even when your really getting better you'll make a little error and get insulted by persons that are newer then you to the game. Those bad behaviors are then showed to the new players and 94% of the players are haters. Either turn all form of communication off, either play with bots, either don't play this game or you will end up dying of cancer from the lack of love. People always care about the kill and death and other information given at the end of the match but it reality it doesn't mean much... You can run around all game saving everyone doing damage like no other but in the end you saved the match and a poor numbers. Then everyone trash you but you clearly made your team won! My brain lived some of it's baddest experience from this game, the opposite is also true. Expand
  30. Apr 30, 2014
    Best moba I've ever played, ruined by broken marchmaking and absence of different game modes.

+ Amazing visuals + Very smooth gameplay + Item drops + Great hero designs. + Hardcore team play. - Outright broken matchmaking system will drive you nuts. - There is only one map, one game mode. There are some different hero-picking drafts thats all. - The worst community ever. Very

+ Amazing visuals
    + Very smooth gameplay
    + Item drops
    + Great hero designs.
    + Hardcore team play.
    - Outright broken matchmaking system will drive you nuts.
    - The worst community ever. Very toxic, there is at least one troll, feeder or leaver in every match.
    - Sometimes too punishing, and so damn less rewarding.
    - Very addicting.

Give it a try if you didn't already, but don't let it get to you, it will drain your sanity away.

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Simply irresistible and addictive as hell.
  2. Sep 1, 2013
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    A great PvP game that offers some of the most intriguing and nuanced team combat around.