6.4

1. Jul 10, 2013
    This game improved so much since it was released on the beta. There are over 90 heroes to choose from currently and the gamplay is as intence and as rewarding as DOTA 1. I know alot of people will be hesitant to try it at first but there has been a new tutorial system implemented in DOTA 2 and I think it will help new comers. I know some people who play LOL might bash in this game, butThis game improved so much since it was released on the beta. There are over 90 heroes to choose from currently and the gamplay is as intence and as rewarding as DOTA 1. I know alot of people will be hesitant to try it at first but there has been a new tutorial system implemented in DOTA 2 and I think it will help new comers. I know some people who play LOL might bash in this game, but both games are compleatly different. Its like comparing COD and Battlefield, they are so different that connot be compared. (no preference on either game, I think bot of them are good) Give this game a try, the learning curve is very steep but it is rewarding when you learn. I think this is the best gave valve has ever developed and has been the most played game on steam ever since the second year of beta development. Try it out, its free and badass! Expand
  2. Jul 11, 2013
    Compared to League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth, Dota 2 has more unique heroes and items. It is more advanced and rewarding than LoL. It is slower than HoN, which is important in team fights. The best popular MOBA out there.
  3. Jul 11, 2013
    Its a very good game. I started playing since the beta about 1 and a half year ago. Its true that its hard to master the game but Its very interesting and fun to master each hero. As you get to learn that each character is situational and not the same. I have become addicted to it and i find it as my favorite Action RTS.
  4. Jul 12, 2013
    One of the best, most difficult and truly competitive games I've ever played. It is free and doesn't have any pay-to-win, all heroes are free, the only paid content are cosmetical items that DO NOT change gameplay.
  5. Jul 12, 2013
    Never been so addicted to a game before! Weekly updates, balanced, and a economy if you like to trade. Basically this game has everything you can ask for in a Moba.
  6. Jul 12, 2013
    DOTA 2 is the best in the MOBA class. I have played LoL, DOTA, DOTA 2 and some lesser known MOBAs and DOTA 2 is by far the best. In addition, it is F2P which is amazing. And unlike, LoL or HoN which require you to use a rotating hero list until you buy your own with real money or accumulate enough in-game currency to purchase a single hero, DOTA 2 immediately gives you access to its entireDOTA 2 is the best in the MOBA class. I have played LoL, DOTA, DOTA 2 and some lesser known MOBAs and DOTA 2 is by far the best. In addition, it is F2P which is amazing. And unlike, LoL or HoN which require you to use a rotating hero list until you buy your own with real money or accumulate enough in-game currency to purchase a single hero, DOTA 2 immediately gives you access to its entire library of heroes, for free. In LoL as of the date of this post, it would cost $588 to unlock all heroes with real money. (15000RP/$100, total cost heroes 88185 RP. This calculation excludes bundles)

Each character has a unique playstyle and skillset, and doesn't feel like a clone of another character or a cheap rip off. Every character plays a certain role well, and plays it uniquely. Playing well leads to great rewards, and playing poorly has severe consequences.

There are issues with DOTA 2, the biggest being there is a huge learning curve and you are going to start out being bad if you don't have previous DOTA experience. Learning characters skills, what items do, and what you should be doing early mid and late game initially may be overwhelming. However, doing research and practicing eventually pay off as DOTA 2 is truly one of the most challenging and highest skill cap games available. Valve is also implementing (or has implemented) a tutorial, but there is no way the sheer amount of information needed is contained within it. But I'm sure its a great place to start.

Graphics are great. Gameplay is great. Servers seem lag free. Crashes are very rare. ITS FREE!
  7. Jul 13, 2013
    Alright, first of all I'll be the first to admit that DotA has it's own flaws in itself, being a really competitive game but some of the reviews on here are utterly disgusting. So let me bring this up as a Dota2 ex DotA and HoN and LoL player.

If you're transitioning from league of legends, you don't have to worry about runes or stuff like that, since any imbalance caused by that is no trouble to us, secondly, you have ALL the heroes/champions. You can experiment without playing x amount of games for a 6300 IP champion, and doing that about 50 times but you have to keep in mind that DotA has more advanced mechanics and is more punishing.

If you are saying that this games changes you, it's not the game that changes you, it's yourself letting changed by the nature of the game, you become more competitive and forgetting that you are playing with other players.

While I do admit DotA has some minor issues as to the matchmaking system but it's not extremely easy to asses each player's skill and their improvement, it's never been done by machines with 100% success we have to be patient.
    F
    And lastly, please do not talk about the game if you didn't play it extensively and competitively, since some reviews say that vote of surrender IS a feature in dota 2 (it's not). Don't follow the ragers that critic everything just for the sake of being cynical.

All in all this is a REALLY strong game with each hero being unique and strong in itself but keep in mind the advanced mechanics, and if you are new, try practicing with bots, they are pretty okay to start, read guides, don't assume you're the all knowing guy and see you in the game.
  8. Nov 14, 2013
    This game is great because of its steep learning curve and a vast variety of heroes and strategies. Anyone who likes MOBA -type games should love Dota 2.
  9. Jul 15, 2013
    This game is just perfect, mostly for me: a guy who played dota for a long time, this game can be played by anyone, thing is, DotA 2 is not an intuitive game, you have various tutorials however. I know people can be a bit hostile, I am too, that is because in this game, if someone mess it up real hard, then you most likely lose the game. People have to know which role they are playing andThis game is just perfect, mostly for me: a guy who played dota for a long time, this game can be played by anyone, thing is, DotA 2 is not an intuitive game, you have various tutorials however. I know people can be a bit hostile, I am too, that is because in this game, if someone mess it up real hard, then you most likely lose the game. People have to know which role they are playing and play it at its best in order to win the game, but also, if you play perfectly but your team or some mates doesn't then you probably won't win the game, and if you are competitive like me, then you will get mad haha. But try it out, DotA has a matchmaking system so you will play with other people with the same skills as you probably, you will stand a chance there, and eventually get more skilled. Expand
  10. Jul 16, 2013
    Let me get it out straight away DotA 2 is probably the most fun and satisfaction I got in a multiplayer game.

I'll just list everything great about this game:

the aesthetics are great, the art and the graphics are gorgeous, the competition feel is big. The replay-ability of the game is infinite.

Most importantly it's free, so just install Steam and install it as soon as possible.
  11. Jul 16, 2013
    I've been playing DOTA off and on for at least 7 years. It's become a part of my life like golf or the NBA. I can't thank Valve enough for bringing modernity to the game and making it a viable E-Sport. If I were to laud two improvements, it would be the matchmaking system and the shop in the game.
  12. Nov 9, 2013
  13. Jul 16, 2013
    More than 10 years developing a system and balancing one game. Now bringed back by Valve and Icefrog.

This game has got everything to raise to the glory. Easy to learn, Hard to master.
  14. Jul 16, 2013
    Valve did a great job by hiring Icefrog, you can't find such a balanced game without Icefrog and you can't find such a great detailed game without Valve

Balanced Game Competitive game Greatly detailed GOTY 2013 :D
  15. Jul 16, 2013
    Very addicting with a steep learning curve, you'll sink many hours into this game. Of course there will be abrasive players in the community, but guess what, there are function in the game to fix it. Mute and report the player(s), and play on. GL HF
  16. Jul 16, 2013
    Straight up, the most enthralling, engrossing multiplayer game I've ever experienced. There is no game (imo) that can compete with its complete and total addictiveness and here I am with ~2,000 hours on the game. It doesn't look to be stopping anytime soon. Graphics are amazing, UI is superb, the support from Valve is phenomenal, the heroes are incredibly diverse, and there is an endlessStraight up, the most enthralling, engrossing multiplayer game I've ever experienced. There is no game (imo) that can compete with its complete and total addictiveness and here I am with ~2,000 hours on the game. It doesn't look to be stopping anytime soon. Graphics are amazing, UI is superb, the support from Valve is phenomenal, the heroes are incredibly diverse, and there is an endless amount of strategy to learn in this game. You will never be perfect at the game. EVER. But it keeps bringing you back to learn more. It has a sharp learning curve, BUT IT'S WORTH IT. I love this game, and I don't see myself putting it down within the next 10 years. Expand
  17. Jul 16, 2013
    Simply the best "Dota" game out there.
    Stop blaming about community, making the community better is everyone's duty, anyway, it's not the game's fault.

Try it, especially if you are tired of LoL-- Dota2 is far more challenging and flexible.
  18. Jul 16, 2013
    Gameplay

Gameplay

The gameplay is probably the most exiting and fun part of Dota 2. It's pretty challenging but when you win or kill someone.... the feeling just the FEELING OF OWNING someone is like life at it's greatest. As you progress or lvl up, you get to challenge more challenging opponents and of course the gameplay gets intense too. To win you need to practice more and more but trust me, it will take days, months or even years to be a master player and that's mostly the goal of almost all Dota 2 players: compete to the top (for fun)!

One word: Masterpiece
  19. Jul 16, 2013
    My all time favorite game. Every year new game releases turn up in a cartwheel of hype, everyone buys them like no tomorrow or maybe not, but they do sell regardless. If you look back, you've probably amassed a lot of games, completed a ton of those, but can you still name them all? Do you still play them? Were they worth the price tag? When I was a kid, I used to play a bunch of gamesMy all time favorite game. Every year new game releases turn up in a cartwheel of hype, everyone buys them like no tomorrow or maybe not, but they do sell regardless. If you look back, you've probably amassed a lot of games, completed a ton of those, but can you still name them all? Do you still play them? Were they worth the price tag? When I was a kid, I used to play a bunch of games like Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, Beasts & Bumpkins, Age of Empires, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Brood War, Command and Conquer: Red Alert, Heroes of Might and Magic III and a bunch of other games of the time. While I enjoyed them a lot, I eventually didn't get any kind of fresh feeling out of those. While I enjoyed them while they were new and some a bit longer than that, they sooner or later ran out of content. Playing the same things over and over again turned tedious. Newer games, say, Diablo III, gave me about 2 weeks worth of stuff (chest simulation) to do. Hype was massive, reviews were optimistic, but games nowadays tend to be released like that. They have eye candy, but they're really hollow in the end. I never returned to that game. I never returned to Guild Wars 2. I will never play Bioshock Infinite again. Won't be playing Darksiders II, won't be playing Fallout 3. Won't be playing Oblivion or Mass Effect. Now this game, it merely got a facelift, hence the number 2, in case you have never played the original user made map inside Warcraft III. I've however stuck with it for 7-8 years now and I am not tired of it. I am not tired of it because I haven't got a set final goal or task. That's something most games have. They have a plot, chapters, maps or stages and when you're done with them, it is over. I was slightly hesitant to give a perfect 10, because that means perfection to me, but in all honesty, I have never played anything that has even come close to bringing as much joy, ordeal, satisfaction and gratification as this game, so I am going to give it that score. It has the right to get it from me. I got into the beta around October 2011. I have over 4000 hours played. Some has been just chatting, watching games and such, but I am nearing 3000 matches played regardless. I don't think a poor game can make anyone stick with it for that long. No mods yet besides some useless audio mods as jokes, but nothing that could keep you playing other games a bit longer. Just the original content. I don't even think the community is such a pain in the ass.
    At least 95% of all the people in the world are snap judgmental that aren't afraid to step on you if they get any kind of benefit or gratification out of it, but that fact alone doesn't seem to make people want to quit life. It's a team game, thus you probably should have a team or any group of players to play this with, if you are sensitive to the opinions of strangers. It's a game that doesn't fit a casual gamer, the kind of person who plays Angry Birds, Bejeweled or some other time sink of the kind, but it is a fantastic game for people who really are vehemently into games, the kind of niche group that played games before they entered a market of people who need their hands held. I think reviewing games of this nature is a bit hard at the moment, because it's being compared to things where you can choose how easy you want the game to be on you. I think grading Dota is like grading ice hockey. To play, you actually need to know how to use skates, how, when and where to shoot, what doesn't work and such. If you have no talent or are in no shape or form and can't be bothered to gain any of that with sheer will, you're not going to progress. You can't progress by hitting OK, as the game is testing you and your abilities. Even bad players can enjoy it regardless. They just need to accept the fact that games of this kind won't unravel spontaneously before them. The game itself plays a minimal part as your margin for error is at least as big as the skill of your opponent is. The fact that losing and winning is completely up to human co-operation and wits is something that keeps me playing. Casual games can be fun for a while, but they lack something that is essential for longevity and that is intense competition, complex tactics and a desire for knowledge. I might be up for a match of Mario Party with some beer, but I wouldn't do that for months every day or every second day. Maybe the beer, but easy and simple things just get stale fast, as they don't stimulate your brain when they become clear. I'll gladly discuss this game with my friends with a pint, reminisce our big plays, horrible feeding games, make fun of each other for our horrible stats in some games, flaunt how we completely demolished some pro or some total we've all played with, think of good drafts, which pros are huge noobs and so on. Other games are just games to me. I am not into speed running or to any stuff of that sort, so they're just one-night stands to me. To me Dota is a hobby.
  20. Jul 16, 2013
    LISTEN! don't mind negative reviews most of them are obviously made by League of Legends fanboys. If you don't like this review then stick to the critics.

Dota 2 is probably the most addicting game I've ever played. I played the first Dota back in 2008 and it was amazing. Glad Valve developed this game instead of sticking to the Warcraft 3 version. This version is far better because of it's realism and challenges. If you like a fun and challenging game, this game is for you.
  21. FBF
    Jul 16, 2013
    Pros:

- seemingly infinite strategical aspects (!)
    - complex gameplay and mechanics
    - a thriving, international competitive scene
    - free to play
    - never gets boring (Really. I've been playing Dota 2 and it's precursor for 5-6 years now.)

Cons:

- steep learning curve
    - as in every multiplayer game, some people you encounter can be rude
  22. Jul 16, 2013
    I played my first game of DotA about 6-7 years ago,and I must say I immediately fell in love with it.I played it a lot and after some time I started playing other games of same genre (League of Legends mostly).I have to confess that i was happy playing LoL and wasn't hyped at all when Dota 2 was announced, I thought it was another try to get money by copying DotA.I was very wrong,Dota 2 isI played my first game of DotA about 6-7 years ago,and I must say I immediately fell in love with it.I played it a lot and after some time I started playing other games of same genre (League of Legends mostly).I have to confess that i was happy playing LoL and wasn't hyped at all when Dota 2 was announced, I thought it was another try to get money by copying DotA.I was very wrong,Dota 2 is the most balanced,fun and strategically complex game I played so far.

Game is focused on gameplay but graphics are very decent.If you are coming from other games of this genre, it may take some time getting used to graphics.For those thinking that graphics are dark and wondering why,there is very good explanation.Terrain is dark so there is greater contrast between terrain and abillity particles(usually bright) so teamfights are more clear.Steam Workshop did a very good job making cosmetics for heroes, making heroes look even better.

As for gameplay its a true skill based game.There are no bonuses you get by spending money and all heroes are playable from start.Game balance is almost perfect(Out of 96 available heroes on tournaments 96 are played at least once in last month).The most amazing thing about Dota 2 is amount of strategies you can play, synergies between heroes, lane combos you can play with friends.Even when you think that everything is hopeless and want to give up, with good timing and team coordiantion you can turn around every game(that is why there is no surrender option in Dota 2).
    The best side of game is it's complexity and in same time it is the worst.There are lot of mechanics that are very important and that you have to know to be a decent player, but once you learn them you will find them very clever and fun.All heroes have strong ability kits and are fun to play.Heroes are very different with very different playstyle, even playing against some hereos require different playstyle.Some heroes are easier to play then others so you may find them stronger at beginning but as you advance as player and learn how to deal with them you will realise they are not that good.Although game is updated every week, there are only couple of balance patches a year.Many people dislike fact that there are 4-5 new heroes added each year, but development team philosophy is to add heroes not for the sake of adding, but to improve the game.

As for community I must say its very complex.Some people will rage at you, blame you, even troll you.I think that is kinda expected from online F2P game, but as you play more games you will get bigger MMR(match make rating) and you will rarely see this kind of people.Since there is report system most of ragers and trolls are banned/muted.Many people will complain about community, but in reality community is much more mature and friendly then in other F2P multiplayer games.

DotA/Dota 2 as an Esport is a game played at almost every Esport event.In my opinion its in Top 3 Esport(others are Starcraft and Counter-Strike) of all time.Biggest tournament is The International which gathers best teams of the world to compete for 2-3 million dollars prize pool.Dota 2 scene is constantly growing, and it is a game that is very fun to watch (You can even bet with Cosmetic items on some sites making watching games even more fun).Games are watchable through in-game Dota 2 TV that is most amazing spectator client i have ever seen.You can watch games through player's perspective that alows you to see every action of player you are watching (His Cursor ,Screen...),listen to your favorite commentators and there is option to see different type of graphs and statistics available.

It is highly recommended to play tutorial before playing against other players.Since at beginning you are matched with players who also created new account your first 10-20 games might be against DotA veteran or complete noobs,but it will get better after those ten game.Bad games can happen to everyone(even professional players have bad games from time to time), so If you play bad in some game and feed just say you are sorry and 99% of time team won't flame you.Watching guids helps a lot aswell (Purge and Merlini Recomended).There are even mini-guides created by community you can find ingame in top-left corner.Playing this kind of game with friends is much better.By the way if you don't know Russian you will learn a great deal of it (trust me :D).

At the end Dota 2 is not the game you will play and master in couple of hours.Skillcap is enormous and even professional players can't play all heroes very well.Every game of Dota 2 is a new lesson that will improve you as a player.If you are looking for game to play without spending much time learing it ,this is not the game you are looking for.

Note:Some reviews will bash this game,players and mechanics although they never played it before.Its mostly because of rivalry betwen Dota 2 and LoL.
  23. Jul 16, 2013
    Don't listen to the League Of Legend fan plastering this with negative reviews.

Critics have done a bang up job for the most part reviewing this game, and the score shows just how good this game is. People giving this a 5 or lower are obviously not in touch with reality and truly need to be ignored. This game is deep, too deep for a review here, go read a few of the professional
    Don't listen to the League Of Legend fan plastering this with negative reviews.

This game is deep, too deep for a review here, go read a few of the professional reviews and you won't be disappointed.
  24. Jul 16, 2013
    Despite the steep learning curve, dota 2 is very fun and rewarding. Best played with friend[s] to avoid the wrath of the internet thats bound to happen every now and then in this very competitive game.
  25. Nov 8, 2013
  26. Jul 16, 2013
    The oringinal sequal of DOTA!!!Fabulous!!!
    Dota 2 gives us a unique chance to experience the original DOTA experience!!
    The best MOBA game in the world.
    Thanks icefrog and valve for creating so much fun in dota 2
    I love this game so much!
  27. Jul 16, 2013
    I started playing a year before. First 10-15 games will make your head spin puke and go tear the hair out of your head. After 25+ games you will have the slightest sense of what is what and what is happening in the team fights. This game is not something one starts gets hold of the game in 1-2 days and spend all his time thereafter. This Game is complex deep with varying heroesI started playing a year before. First 10-15 games will make your head spin puke and go tear the hair out of your head. After 25+ games you will have the slightest sense of what is what and what is happening in the team fights. This game is not something one starts gets hold of the game in 1-2 days and spend all his time thereafter. This Game is complex deep with varying heroes abilities items item builds and interaction between each of the above said.

My best advice to new players is stick to easy heroes like Lion sniper Earth Shaker Ursa Axe lich viper etc. Try to use in game guides .

I have spent about 1100 hours and almost 1000 games played. Still i learn something new in this game.
    Knowledge is wealth in this game. The more you know about your hero items the better you can do in the game.

If you do want to play other games in future don`t play this game. Once you cross the "critical line" (about 20-30 matches) i doubt you would rarely play any other game.
  28. Jul 16, 2013
    In all my years of gaming (they have been many), no other game has been able to grasp my interest for as long and as passionate as this game has done it. Dota has an addicting combination of strategy and rpg; the balance of the game is a testament to the years of work and continuous feedback from the community. Valve has now taken the game to a whole new level with Dota 2, improving theIn all my years of gaming (they have been many), no other game has been able to grasp my interest for as long and as passionate as this game has done it. Dota has an addicting combination of strategy and rpg; the balance of the game is a testament to the years of work and continuous feedback from the community. Valve has now taken the game to a whole new level with Dota 2, improving the graphics and expanding on the features that DotA needed so badly for years, yet leaving the game play exactly as its predecessor (which is a great thing!) Expand
  29. Jul 16, 2013
    I have been playing Dota2 for two years through the beta I have not even scratched the surface of this game in almost a thousand matches. I have become perhaps a novice. I've not even played all and definitely not learned all of the characters. There is one map I still discover new tricks on. Not to mention it is updated and patched once if not more weekly. The market thrives withoutI have been playing Dota2 for two years through the beta I have not even scratched the surface of this game in almost a thousand matches. I have become perhaps a novice. I've not even played all and definitely not learned all of the characters. There is one map I still discover new tricks on. Not to mention it is updated and patched once if not more weekly. The market thrives without giving any real benefit but cosmetics. The underground market with its own prices is so large that there are betting sites with items and money. People will pay thousands for the right items. Then you have all of the live feeds and tournaments. All of which you can watch from any perspective. I could go on forever about this game. This game requires forever to go into detal. This is the best game ever created. Bow to your new God. Resistance is futile. Expand
  30. Jul 16, 2013
    Valve knows how to do free to play right. Dota 2 is the result of almost a decade's worth of dedication from various Warcraft 3 map makers and the collaboration with an award-winning game studio that can release the game to the masses.

Even without any advertising, the game has attracted millions of players globally and is played as a sport with millions of dollars in prize money annually.

Dota 2 is a well-polished game and most people are surprised that it's... FREE!

Definitely worth a try.
  31. Jul 16, 2013
    DotA2 is for people who want constant action, unbelievable variation and plays in pro games, and those "Holy F**k that was epic" moments.

LoL is for people who want slow steady, yet rewarding success, with slightly less PvP action in favour of PvE efficiency. Personally, I only play games for the crazy epic moments that blow my mind. Not saying LoL doesn't have that, I just get way

Personally, I only play games for the crazy epic moments that blow my mind. Not saying LoL doesn't have that, I just get way more of it out of DotA. All the MM/community problems will eventually be ironed out of DotA just like it was ironed out of LoL.
  32. Jul 16, 2013
    A true masterpiece and a milestone in gaming, this sequel to a genre-definer that is now just bursting in a global scale is a great point of reference to anyone attempting to make a game of this genre. Great graphics, amazing sound and voice design, and rich backstories in every corner are just some of the features that make Dota 2 great. But it's major strong point is the depth in itsA true masterpiece and a milestone in gaming, this sequel to a genre-definer that is now just bursting in a global scale is a great point of reference to anyone attempting to make a game of this genre. Great graphics, amazing sound and voice design, and rich backstories in every corner are just some of the features that make Dota 2 great. But it's major strong point is the depth in its mechanics.

While Dota 2's gameplay might seem daunting at first, it's one of the best and more engaging ever seen in a game, and learning it is just one of the reasons why this game is addicting. Other games such as League of Legends end up falling short because their devs decided to cut much from the original formula, but Dota 2 kept it intact, and makes sure you learn something new everyday.

Not only the core game is strong, but also the eSport scene surrounding it is amazing and growing, with several tournaments going on, including Valve's own The International. At the time of release, the game looks like a train with no brakes, about to crash against its competitors and run them over, raising the bar on the genre with a myriad of awesome features that perfectly compliment an awesome game.
  33. Jul 16, 2013
    This game is actually too good for your health. If you're in a relationship where you're living together, you must make a decision: dota 2 or your relationship.
  34. Jul 16, 2013
    DotA is one of those games which define an important aspect of my life. I started playing dota before Frozen Throne even came out at my best friend's house and we used to skip school and wait for his dad to go to work in order sneak into his window and play dota all day. I have never gone more than a year since then without playing dota and now in Dota 2 I have almost 500 wins. I live inDotA is one of those games which define an important aspect of my life. I started playing dota before Frozen Throne even came out at my best friend's house and we used to skip school and wait for his dad to go to work in order sneak into his window and play dota all day. I have never gone more than a year since then without playing dota and now in Dota 2 I have almost 500 wins. I live in the Philippines now and it is the one way that my brother, cousin and I keep in touch and hang out. Expand
  35. Jul 16, 2013
    This is an absolutely fantastic game that puts casual moba games, such as League of Legends, to shame. It's by far the best moba game out there, and just keeps getting better as they release new heroes that were in the original warcraft 3 mod.
  36. Jul 16, 2013
    Dota is a game that most people will hate because, as Purge famously stated it, "Welcome to Dota 2, you suck." You will be terrible at the game for hundreds of hours, and you'll then realize how terrible you are, and then you'll start trying to actually get better only to realize you're nowhere as good as you thought you'd be after spending two thousand hours in-game. But don't let thatDota is a game that most people will hate because, as Purge famously stated it, "Welcome to Dota 2, you suck." You will be terrible at the game for hundreds of hours, and you'll then realize how terrible you are, and then you'll start trying to actually get better only to realize you're nowhere as good as you thought you'd be after spending two thousand hours in-game. But don't let that discourage you! Expand
  37. Jul 16, 2013
    Valve has worked hard to make DotA 2 a success and it really show. The game plays very well and other than unit boxing it feels very responsive. The balance the game strike is quite good, there aren't any heroes that stand leaps and bounds above the rest. Every hero has it's place and situation it will shine in which adds another layer of complexity to the game. Not only do you need toValve has worked hard to make DotA 2 a success and it really show. The game plays very well and other than unit boxing it feels very responsive. The balance the game strike is quite good, there aren't any heroes that stand leaps and bounds above the rest. Every hero has it's place and situation it will shine in which adds another layer of complexity to the game. Not only do you need to know how to play the heroes you need to know when to play them.

Overall great game, if you're into RTS games or MOBA's definitely give DotA 2 a good shot.
  38. Jul 17, 2013
    With 600+ hours put into this game, I can truthfully say that anyone complaining about a poorly designed matchmaking system is sadly mistaken. Due to the numerous intricacies involved with having a 'good game', most new players will blame the aforementioned (matchmaking). Watching any competitive match will only justify this. Most players have a difficult time with this game due to whatWith 600+ hours put into this game, I can truthfully say that anyone complaining about a poorly designed matchmaking system is sadly mistaken. Due to the numerous intricacies involved with having a 'good game', most new players will blame the aforementioned (matchmaking). Watching any competitive match will only justify this. Most players have a difficult time with this game due to what is called 'Solo Mid Syndrome'; attributing a bad game to one of the numerous possible things that will cause your team to lose.

Recommendations for a new player: Play with friends. Find a mentor. If you can't do this, keep playing until you learn a character and win a game. Pulling out a W in an extremely difficult game, with quite possibly the highest skill cap of any game out there, will give a feeling of elation.

Most importantly, read the below link and pay attention. This is not a game for the weak willed.

39. Nov 14, 2013
    DOTA 2 is the best game in its genre due to the variety of heroes and game modes it provides and most importantly it's free without any pay-to-win features. Matchmaking system needs some improvement but other than that it's flaws are minimal.
  40. Jul 17, 2013
    Dota 2 is 100% skill based. You need to learn a lot in order to be successful. This is not for the casual, or is it? Its fun from the get go. You can constantly improve and that makes it fun.

But there are other Dota-esque game out there, why Dota 2? Well, LoL is to World of warcraft what Starcraft 2 is to Dota 2. There you have it. If you want a DotA game where the best skilled team

There you have it. If you want a DotA game where the best skilled team wins, you choose Dota 2.
  41. Jul 17, 2013
    The game runs great, carrying the brilliant albeit somewhat unintuitive nature of the wc3 mod to a stand-alone Engine.

It's definitely clear that Valve puts lots of consideration and dedication into their work, Dota 2 is nothing short of superb.
  42. Jul 17, 2013
    Dota 2: simplemente no es un juego. es una pasion. creado por valve. que ya es mucho decir. con el gran empeño de IceFrog. Completamente gratis. 0% Pay2Win.
    Puedes jugar horas y horas sin cancarte.
    Las mecanicas son 100% excelentes Heroes balanceados. La verdad no se que decir. Esto es increible. ya hace 7 años juego DotA y 2 Dota 2. Simplemente el juego mas adictivo que juge en estos
    Puedes jugar horas y horas sin cancarte.
    Las mecanicas son 100% excelentes
    Heroes balanceados.
    La verdad no se que decir. Esto es increible. ya hace 7 años juego DotA y 2 Dota 2. Simplemente el juego mas adictivo que juge en estos 20 años de videojuegos.
  43. Jul 17, 2013
    Extremely fun and addictive game. Gameplay is complex but still fun even if you're only a casual gamer.

Only problem is that it's a little hard to learn for a complete beginner, but that has recently been fixed with in-game tutorials.
  44. Jul 17, 2013
    The best strategy/co-op multiplayer game ever. A lot of efects, and too many heroes and itens for you to play. It nevers get bored. I definitely recommend this game.
  45. Jul 17, 2013
    Awesome game, if you are new to the genre just practice a lot, its hard at the start just try to reach the point where you enjoy the game even if you lose

PD: if you have emotional disorder, dont play this game
  46. Jul 17, 2013
    Best moba so far, perfect hero balancement, complex mechanics nice graphics and no pay to win, only needs matchmaking improvement.
    This game improved a lot since the first version.
  47. Jul 17, 2013
    This game is amazing. It's balanced, free, and very fun to play. There is a pretty steep learning curve, but once you get past that there's really not much to complain about the game.
  48. Jul 17, 2013
    Dota 2 is what a real "sequal" should be like. The game is free, the graphics are pleasnt, the gameplay is fluid, and the game has great balance. Valve has done a great job, and hopefully the e-sports scene becomes bigger, because League of Legends is a joke in terms of quality and balance.
  49. Apr 25, 2014
    Best game ever with worst community there is. You cant blame the game for the player community tho! So play it with friends or use mute function frequently. It's worth every minute. It's deep and complex.
  50. Jul 17, 2013
    Best free to play game in a true sense. There's no need to buy new heroes, no Pay-to-win issue at all. The game is absolutely fantastic especially after Valve has been putting focus on server stability, balance and the most importantly, community. It's amazing how the game has been improved since its first Beta launch back in 2011. I've played Dota 1, LoL, HoN, and Smite but I;m certainBest free to play game in a true sense. There's no need to buy new heroes, no Pay-to-win issue at all. The game is absolutely fantastic especially after Valve has been putting focus on server stability, balance and the most importantly, community. It's amazing how the game has been improved since its first Beta launch back in 2011. I've played Dota 1, LoL, HoN, and Smite but I;m certain this will be my go-to ARTS game. Expand
  51. Jul 17, 2013
    Many heroes that differ greatly differ and each is truly a special and despite this diversity which is the balance very well. The game play is perfect desert I mean what can be improved. In Dota 2 tournaments are held constant. Another nice fact is that it is the game soon for Linux and Mac give.
  52. Jul 17, 2013
    Wasn't this hard to make the switch from League to DotA2. The Tutorial and Campaign is more than awesome and the game binds you from the first minute. An outstanding Moba and definitively the best Moba at the market.
  53. Jul 17, 2013
    Literally the best multiplayer online experience you can have. This free-to-play game will provide you hundreds and possibly thousands of hours of pure multiplayer bliss. Dota is a very complex game with an enormous learning curve, and you will need to dedicate your time and your attention to this game if you want to be good at it. Thankfully Valve has made really neat tutorial levels thatLiterally the best multiplayer online experience you can have. This free-to-play game will provide you hundreds and possibly thousands of hours of pure multiplayer bliss. Dota is a very complex game with an enormous learning curve, and you will need to dedicate your time and your attention to this game if you want to be good at it. Thankfully Valve has made really neat tutorial levels that will introduce you to the game. There are also dozens of guides online that will help you.

The goal of the game is simple: destroy the enemy's main building: the Ancient. There are two sides competing. The Dire and The Radiant. Each side contains five players. Upon entering a matchmade game you will be placed on the either side. After that you will pick prompted to pick your hero, amongst a selection of literally 100+. You will then buy your starting items and head down the lane (called "mid, "bottom" or "top") that you choose. You will then look to kill enemy "creeps", which are AI-controled monsters that periodically spawn from the base and head down each lane, and enemy heroes. Gradually you should look to destroy enemies' towers, after you have become more powerful. After you have destroyed the enemies' towers and their barracks, their Ancient will be exposed to attacks and you will be a able to destroy it.

Dota contains almost limtless amount of ways you can play. The heroes, the roles they fill, the items, they are all so different, you are guaranteed to not get bored. From heroes that support their team like Crystal Maiden, to heroes who "carry" their team like Phantom Lancer, across assassins like Bounty Hunter, "pushers" like Nature's Prophet Dota will provide you a different experience every single match you play.

As a free to play title it contains absolutely no ways for paying customers to have advantage over non-paying ones. All heroes will be available to you when you start playing. There are simply no buy-to-win elements in the game. What paying customers buy is cosmetic items, whose purpose is just to look pretty. This means you can choose from a collection of different sets of items to customize the way your favorite hero looks, and you can also buy different looks for your HUD and different voices for your annoucner. Did I mention this cosmetic items are available without paying money too? When you play a match of Dota, you are awarded experience and when you have enough experience you will level up, and as your reward you will get a cosmetic item. You can also trade your cosmetic items with other players, in case they have something you like.

The amount of detail Valve has put in this game is astounishing. Every hero has their own theme, their story. The heroes are funny and always have an interesting line to say. Every hero has their own unique character. There are even rival heroes for example Lina and Crystal Maiden, two twin sisters, one who specializes in fire and other in ice. If they are playing against one another or are in the same team, they will say different lines to each other. Another example is Zeus who is a literal God, and will constantly make fun out the puny mortals he is pittied against. Anti-Mage, little to no surprise, has a quest to destroy all magic and will constistantly loathe magic users throught the game.

Games are unpredictable. One team may be in the lead one moment, and then lose their advantage the next moment. This game punishes you harshly for making mistakes and rewards you greatly for making the right decision. Teamwork is the key to victory. You will need to communicate with your team and make plans together if you want to win.

The communtiy of this game is not the best, but it is to be expected of a free-to-play game available to everyone. You WILL run across players who will be angry at you one way or the other, and will maybe throw harsh words your way. My advice is just to report them (open up the scoreboard, click then name and then report) and move on. As you gain in skill you will gain in your victories, and when you gain victories you will be put to play against better people. The higher you go in MMR (which is the system game uses to determine your skill) the nicer people will become.

You should definately this game a try, after all it is free to do so. But trust me, you will get hooked on this game and it will certianly take away a large portion of your time.
  54. Jul 17, 2013
    It's an Awesome game,Perfect at both video and audio quality. And it have all the good parts from DOTA1 and be taken out BUGs.DOTA2 is DOTA!! Game matching still not perfect but it's way hard to judge the power level of both sides' player. Absolute balance power is impossible.But Valve is still improving it~~Thx Valve and Icefrog,and Eul~~
  55. Jul 17, 2013
    Been playing this game for soo long since the first dota and I have to say that this is the best multiplayer online battle arena out there. Although, League of Legends maybe the more popular one Dota 2 is definitely the better game, graphics, mechanics and balance wise. They did pretty well with retaining the balance of both sides from the original game and it has been a very enjoyableBeen playing this game for soo long since the first dota and I have to say that this is the best multiplayer online battle arena out there. Although, League of Legends maybe the more popular one Dota 2 is definitely the better game, graphics, mechanics and balance wise. They did pretty well with retaining the balance of both sides from the original game and it has been a very enjoyable experience for me. Expand
  56. fwb
    Jul 17, 2013
    I've played dota since it started as a small community 10 years ago (dota 1), and noticed that no matter what other popular online multiplayer games I tried (counter strike, world of warcraft, team fortress, etc), I always came back to dota. I thought I was weird, but now am happy to see dota get the attention it deserves. Dota's re-playability is unlimited. Because there are 100+I've played dota since it started as a small community 10 years ago (dota 1), and noticed that no matter what other popular online multiplayer games I tried (counter strike, world of warcraft, team fortress, etc), I always came back to dota. I thought I was weird, but now am happy to see dota get the attention it deserves. Dota's re-playability is unlimited. Because there are 100+ characters to choose from, you can play literally thousands of matches and no two games will be alike. It's a tough, teamwork-centric, competitive game with a steep and limitless learning curve which may not be for everyone, but if you are into those types of games, this is the best of its type, hands-down. Expand
  57. Jul 18, 2013
    Played the first one a lot...have about 1300 hours in this one. THE BEST MOBA GAME EVER CREATED!
    It improves on every single thing that was bad in the first...and lets face it,whoever played DOTA 1 is BOUND to LOVE THIS ONE :D

Dota 2 best moba game hands down
  58. Jul 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well Played!
    Well Played!
    Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played!
  59. Jul 18, 2013
    THE ORIGINAL

If you want the best moba out there, go with the one and only, DOTA. Half of lol heroes are copycat anyway. Dota have better graphic, smoother gameplay, better selection of champions, its a free game, not a ''free'' game like league where they want to sell summoner icon...WTF....Skill and champion make your success in dota, not only the ''build'' of items. Dota 2 is all
    THE ORIGINAL

Dota 2 is all about competition and skill where league is casual gaming and almost buttons mashing. Dont get me wrong, league is a good game but not as pure or as polished as Dota, just look at the League of legend uber archaic interface, its ridiculous.

Steam and Dota for the win.
  60. Jul 18, 2013
    What a game is this holy damn...Yesterday i played my first game and it was one of the best gaming experience in my life. My team about the game having no surrender option but after 10 min we did such an amazing comeback we all bursted into spaming in allchat. BEST GAME EVER!
  61. Jul 18, 2013
    There is a reason my friends and I have been playing since Dota Allstars in WC3, about 8 years.
    Dota 2 is the single most entertaining (albeit addicting) multiplier team game I've played.
    Keep in mind, there is a large learning curve, and the community is quite tough to please, but if you play through the tutorial, and let your team mates know you are learning, most are wiling to help.

Don't get discouraged if you get yelled at for sucking, we all did at one point. Just remember people are investing 20-60min in a game, and losing because a team mate is a total noob can be frustrating. Do your best to learn quick and focus one a few heroes/item builds at a time.
  62. Jul 18, 2013
    One of the best multiplayer games of all time and it's FREE. Much better than League of Legends, all heroes are FREE and it's deeper and more complex. Very steep learning curve, may be too hard for the average Call of Duty casual gamer.
  63. Jul 18, 2013
    Dota 2 is the most addictive game I've ever played in my entire life. And it's legitimately free, with all heroes playable at all times unlike LoL.

I don't often feel compelled to write video game reviews, but I felt that I owed it to you, my fellow gamers, to do it for this game. If you can get around the daunting learning curve, the game in incredibly immersive, action-packed and

If you can get around the daunting learning curve, the game in incredibly immersive, action-packed and full of strategy at the higher levels of play. When I first played I was totally lost. I felt it would be impossible to learn all of the 102 (At the time of this writing) hero's 4 or more abilities, let alone all their specific interactions.

However, I realized how amazing the game was and I kept playing. It probably took me around 200 hours to fully grasp all the basics. Was it worth it? If I was going to be playing video games anyways, I'm glad I was playing something this enthralling.

Sure, it truly can be an emotional rollercoaster ride with some of the ignorant, rude douchebags you will inevitably play with, but if you use the ignore feature intelligently and don't feed the trolls, it's not a problem.

I currently have 1400 hours in Dota 2 and counting. I would say it rates as my number 1 most played game of all time (2nd being Warcraft 3, 3rd being Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Silver).
  64. Jul 18, 2013
    A faithful recreation of the game that inspired LoL and HoN. Valve absolutely nailed it, the graphical style and voice work are incredible. No pay2win but cosmetics for those who want them. 10/10
  65. Jul 19, 2013
    I've come to Dota from League of Legends and that was like changing 10 years old Toyota car to brand new Ferrari. Better community, better ingame, no lags, no servers down and most of all NO ANNOYING 10 YEARS OLD KIDS.
  66. Jul 19, 2013
    Good graphics, addictive team-based gameplay, free to play with no cash shop items that affect the gameplay in any way, very good replayability, steap learning curve. The only problems are: flaming school kids in the community (but hey, this is not the developers fault!), a rather small variety of heroes (Heroes of Newearth provide much more) and a certain lack of balance for heroes (someGood graphics, addictive team-based gameplay, free to play with no cash shop items that affect the gameplay in any way, very good replayability, steap learning curve. The only problems are: flaming school kids in the community (but hey, this is not the developers fault!), a rather small variety of heroes (Heroes of Newearth provide much more) and a certain lack of balance for heroes (some heroes are OP). Also there is no "concede" button so you end up playing matches much longer than you should: this is probably the biggest problem, which would be so easy to fix. Despite this the game deserves a 10. Expand
  67. Jul 19, 2013
    After playing this game little over a year now I've come to realize that this is probably the best Action/RTS game I have ever played. Although the game's steep learning curve had me uninterested within the first few weeks of playing, I persevered and gradually improved. This game, once you put effort in, becomes the most fun game of all time.

The only negatives about the game are: The

The only negatives about the game are: The community and the fact people can just decline a match leaving you to wait 2 more minutes to find a server. The community are usually egotistic and blame others for their mistakes. Occasionally you'll have an amazing game where most people speak your language and are actually nice. Just yesterday I played a game where people just did one on ones with nobody interrupting.

Overall a brilliant game. It's only recently come out of BETA so there are still some things that need tweaking and heroes that need adding but all that SHOULD be done by next year. I definitely recommend this game to all.
  68. Jul 19, 2013
    Great game that, despite having a single map, offers so much variety in terms of heroes and team interactivity that every single match feels unique. Not for the faint of heart, this game can take weeks or even months to become reasonably competent, but once you do...it is very enjoyable and rewarding. And if you learn the game the right way, even the learning process is tons of fun. ButGreat game that, despite having a single map, offers so much variety in terms of heroes and team interactivity that every single match feels unique. Not for the faint of heart, this game can take weeks or even months to become reasonably competent, but once you do...it is very enjoyable and rewarding. And if you learn the game the right way, even the learning process is tons of fun. But if learn it the wrong way...it can be horrible due to the community.

Speaking about that...if you are looking to get into DOTA2, here are a few tips that I think should make your n00b experience less painful:

1. Don't just stick to one or two heroes...in order to be a good player, you have to learn what the other heroes can do so you can better counter them. The worst thing in DOTA is to be ignorant of an opponent's abilities and then do something silly like run around when Bloodseeker ruptures you and wonder why you died. You only get this experience from trying out each hero.

2. On that note...until you are very confident, NEVER pick a hero you haven't played before in a multiplayer game. Always try out new heroes in bot games so you can get comfortable with how they play.

3. Most importantly, realize that DOTA is honestly more like a team sport than a game. It is competitive, and if you don't take it seriously, you will ruin the experience for your team-mates. I know it's frustrating when people yell at you, and sometimes they honestly are just wrong and being jerks...but be considerate and realize that if you go in unprepared you are basically being a jerk too. I mean, would you play goalie in a competitive game of soccer without ever practicing or even knowing what the goalie is supposed to do? No...so take the same philosophy with DOTA 2...dont' play a hero or a position/role when you are completely ignorant of how it is supposed to function. Just put in the time to do a bit of research and practice and you will have a much better experience!

Happy gaming!
  69. Jul 19, 2013
    Amazing game with a mountainous learning curve. The gameplay (once you get the hang of it) is hella fun. However there is so much more than just the gameplay that I love about dota 2. The trading is just as fun as playing, with a similar learning curve. Overall this game was very well done, is updated constantly, and is exactly on par with the kind of game valve typically puts out.
  70. Nov 8, 2013
    It's a great game. Volvo has appologized for the lack of diretide. It a shame that some people felt the need to spam diretide comments, but it's a great game with rich mechanics, and great gameplay
  71. Jul 19, 2013
    Best game ever, have been playing it since wc3 DotA 6 years ago, still not boring and still got something to learn.

DotA 2 have the deepest gameplay mechanic and strategic gameplay. only the bad side (and good side?) it have a steep learning curve. you can see from the review, it either 9-10, or 0 (LOL fanboys?) It have the essential from MOBA game. Easy to learn, Hard to master.

DotA 2 have the deepest gameplay mechanic and strategic gameplay.
    only the bad side (and good side?) it have a steep learning curve.
    you can see from the review, it either 9-10, or 0 (LOL fanboys?)

It have the essential from MOBA game. Easy to learn, Hard to master.

if you are new player want to try out DotA2, i suggest you read this first before try.
  72. Jul 25, 2013
    I simply just enjoy this game, it was an amazing upgrade from playing dota1 well especially since it's easier in dota 2 to find servers etc. and matchmaking brackets seem pretty fine for me playing in SEA. This game has so many layers and layers of complexities and balances over the many years it has existed and the constant reworks and the amount of changes to maps and heroes, causingI simply just enjoy this game, it was an amazing upgrade from playing dota1 well especially since it's easier in dota 2 to find servers etc. and matchmaking brackets seem pretty fine for me playing in SEA. This game has so many layers and layers of complexities and balances over the many years it has existed and the constant reworks and the amount of changes to maps and heroes, causing some to be removed from the game, but now it's pretty balanced with Frog just playing with the meta around. You can say the learning curve for dota is steep, but it starts to get worth it when you are able to play the game at a decent level, and even more when you conquer the steep mountain from an amateur to possibly a professional, not that I am one, I am still on that steep, steep curve but I can still enjoy dota :D. hope you enjoy this game.
    So far I have abt 1k dota 2 games, and I am still planning to play many more, hope to see you people there.
    TehIce
  73. Jul 19, 2013
    Dota 2 was the first of this genre (whatever it's called) that I've played. After a solid year and a go at it's competitors, I wouldn't go anywhere else. It boasts 100+, immediately accessible, unique heroes, solid mechanics and fun and exciting gameplay wrapped up in Valve's beautiful graphics. If you're new or struggling, there's plenty of resources and guides online and in game.

Get

Get a group of committed friends from real life together and you'll spend many nights over skype, playing this game. You can even make friends over Dota 2 and band together after successful matches to play together again.

Recently I've ventured into the world of solo-queing and it's honestly not as bad a people make it out to be. There haven't been any abandonments and the report system is certainly working, there is far less negative behaviour then when I started a year ago. If you practice your hero, learn about them and do your job properly, then there is no reason for anyone to flame you.

I have never been addicted to a game as much as Dota 2.
  74. Jul 20, 2013
    After Team Fortress 2, I would say it is the biggest and most successful creation of Valve. Even if the learning curve is steep it's fun playing with friends.
    Moreover it's "Free 2 Play" enjoy
  75. Jul 20, 2013
    This game takes critical thinking. That's why it's fun. You make decisions and learn from them. Working with friends or strangers over a relatively long period of time to dominate your enemy can be extremely fun. It's also awesome when notice yourself improving.
  76. Jul 20, 2013
    Can be a little rough for starters. But, the time you would put into learning from the tutorial system or youtube videos would be well worth it. You can check Purgegamers for gameplays which is what helped me learn this awesome game.
  77. Jul 20, 2013
    Ok, so, DotA 2 is going to be what makes e-sports a mainstream thing in the West like it is over in S. Korea w/ Starcraft. I really believe this. Valve has done a simply amazing job of bringing the game over into its own while retaining the character and solid mechanics of its WC3 counterpart. It's a highly challenging game that will immerse you for hours, the support of the pro scene isOk, so, DotA 2 is going to be what makes e-sports a mainstream thing in the West like it is over in S. Korea w/ Starcraft. I really believe this. Valve has done a simply amazing job of bringing the game over into its own while retaining the character and solid mechanics of its WC3 counterpart. It's a highly challenging game that will immerse you for hours, the support of the pro scene is phenomenal, and the little holiday events that Valve puts on just ads to the charm of the game. The characters are well developed and feel unique not only in their gameplay styles, but also in their personalities. They do not feel static, but feel very alive, just like an RPG should. It's the perfect blend. If you're into games that are addicting, have high skill caps, e-sports, team play, and community, then definitely try DotA. The community CAN be a little brutal sometimes, but once you find some good, mature, and patient friends to play with, that's when this game really shines. Their matchmaking system would be my only complaint. They are still sorting it and are actively looking at ways to improve it, but it's really put a damper on the game since its launch. The temporary issues with MM aside, this game is an absolute masterpiece. What could you expect from Valve though? These guys are the new Blizzard. Expand
  78. Jul 20, 2013
    If you've ever wondered what a true team-based e-sport game would be, Dota 2 is it. If you take the time to learn the game, which is a daunting but deeply rewarding task, you'll see that Dota 2 parallels everything you see in professional sports today, and it's only going to keep growing and getting better. You can be sure of that with a great company like Valve developing the game whoseIf you've ever wondered what a true team-based e-sport game would be, Dota 2 is it. If you take the time to learn the game, which is a daunting but deeply rewarding task, you'll see that Dota 2 parallels everything you see in professional sports today, and it's only going to keep growing and getting better. You can be sure of that with a great company like Valve developing the game whose third annual multimillion dollar prizepool tournament is only a few weeks away. Their commitment to making Dota 2 into a great e-sport is unrivaled, and the features they've added to the game such as DotaTV which allow you to watch professional games of Dota 2 inside the client and hear caster commentary, the in-game item purchase notifications, various real-time charts and graphs of game stats, spectator item drops (the virtual equivalent of catching a home-run ball at a baseball game) all make Dota 2 a great game to watch.
    And for their upcoming tournament, The International 3, they've really outdone themselves with the compendium item they're selling. It's a $10 virtual book which allows you to really follow and interact with the tournament as it progresses. You'll be able to make predictions about all kinds of game stats and winners, stamp your book with collectible player cards which you can collect from playing the game, create a fantasy team and earn points based on their performance throughout the tournament, and also vote on who you want to see play in the 1v1 and all-star matches using your compendium.

But possibly the best thing about the compendium is that 75% of your $10 purchase will go directly to the tournament's prizepool. What started out as a $1.6 million prize pool has almost reached $2.6 million through the community's purchasing of compendiums. And along the way, Valve has rewarded compendium purchasers for reaching 5 of the prizepool milestones by them unique skins and items which themselves are worth the $10 purchase (Any future compendium buyers even get all the previous rewards as well so they won't be missing out). Even the 1v1 tournament portion portion of the event wasn't originally planned, but is now being held as a reward for the compendium reaching its 5th milestone.
    By getting into Dota 2, you're not just learning to play a game, you're learning to play an e-sport. It's a game you'll have countless hours of fun playing, but also a game you can watch and follow even when you don't feel like playing. And watching Dota 2 can be just as captivating as playing it, because there can be so many amazing and exciting things that can happen.
  79. Jul 20, 2013
    Only authentic FREE TO PLAY GAME in the whole Internet. That's pretty awesome. The ONE AND ONLY GAME that's doesn't give any advantage to expenders. Only CON, it's very addictive.
  80. Jul 21, 2013
    Few games manage to be both entertaining as well as extremely challenging, with a high learning curve, tons of different classes, customuzation, and in-game item builds. The game looks gorgeous, matches are lengthy, the community is friendly and well groomed, and the gameplay is as solid as it can get.
  81. Jul 21, 2013
    Playing this game is not worth it. Who would want to have all characters unlocked from the beginning when you could grind for months to have decent pool while developer still releases same characters with same abilities only with different skins. Also, I have to think while playing and change roles during the game, it is unacceptable. You should follow the same meta and roles from thePlaying this game is not worth it. Who would want to have all characters unlocked from the beginning when you could grind for months to have decent pool while developer still releases same characters with same abilities only with different skins. Also, I have to think while playing and change roles during the game, it is unacceptable. You should follow the same meta and roles from the beginning and should be banned if you pick character that does not have a set role. And letting people from different servers play on their 1 account across the globe? It is terrible game design. Plus, there aren't even 50 hot female characters let alone that they have prostitute-looking skins.
    Terrible, worst game ever. 10/10
  82. Jul 21, 2013
    This was the game that League of Legends copied.
    to me it satisfies my hunger for really great PVP orientated RPG Fantasy type games... taht dont' suck up all your life like World of Warcraft Arathi Basin etc etc.

i have to admit i played this game since it was called Aeon of Strife... so i guess i dont' have to worry about the learning curve.
  83. Jul 22, 2013
    This game is great. It's free, it's competitive, it's fun. No stall meta-game, every hero is useful and deadly, good balance due to the DotA-Allstars dev team and the age of the game with constant patches.
    Pros:
    -Non-stall metagame -Fun with friends or if you're lucky enough then with PuGs as well -Every hero is useful -Only some heroes are somewhat-the-same, all others are very
    Pros:
    -Non-stall metagame
    -Fun with friends or if you're lucky enough then with PuGs as well
    -Every hero is useful
    -Only some heroes are somewhat-the-same, all others are very unique
    -Game rewards players for learning advanced mechanics (use of terrain, etc.)
    -A lot of heroes to choose from
    -Deep mechanics
    Cons:
    -Huge learning curve
    -Community
    -Matchmaking often does a bad match with players

This game is worth playing. When you'll overcome the learning phase of the game, the game will become fun as hell.
  84. Jul 22, 2013
    Dota 2 is surprisingly a very good game, I myself enjoyed this game so much, I tried LoL but it did not compare. Just accept your defeat LoL players. Also GTFO if you just going to put 0 scores and give stupid reasons......
  85. Jul 22, 2013
    I can honestly say that DOTA2 is the best game I played in my 31 years of life, and I played quite a lot of them The depth of mechanics, fun and speed of combat, brutality of mistakes and joy of skillful play all compose into a perfect mix. Strongly recommended to be played with friends over VOIP. 700 hours played and I still feel like I was starting. So much to learn, grasp, so muchI can honestly say that DOTA2 is the best game I played in my 31 years of life, and I played quite a lot of them The depth of mechanics, fun and speed of combat, brutality of mistakes and joy of skillful play all compose into a perfect mix. Strongly recommended to be played with friends over VOIP. 700 hours played and I still feel like I was starting. So much to learn, grasp, so much satisfaction from actually doing it. Pick it up. It will take over your life if you want to play it well, but you're in for the best ride of your gaming years. It's free, but you will spend money on cosmetics because they look really, really cool, they can be traded which is fun in its own self, and they give you that feeling of supporting this game that you will wish to never stop existing Easiest 10 out of 10 ever. Expand
  86. Jul 22, 2013
    best game ever, balanced heroes, no pay to win all you pay for is cosmetics, not only this but games are exhilterating and isnt about farming

it blows crappy league of legends out of the water
  87. Jul 22, 2013
    I don't see why people are giving this game a low rating just for the community. Yes they are really aggressive and that is something that should not dictate a games rating but I think this game is great and its free so why complain if you don't like it no problem its free.
  88. Jul 22, 2013
    Being one of the high esteemed long time players of the DotA style RTS, i can safely say this is the best of the best. The players in EVERY type of game like this has a community base full of people with rage, it's just the way it plays out. the reason this game topples every other game like it is by having such a high production value, there are no new overpowered characters you have toBeing one of the high esteemed long time players of the DotA style RTS, i can safely say this is the best of the best. The players in EVERY type of game like this has a community base full of people with rage, it's just the way it plays out. the reason this game topples every other game like it is by having such a high production value, there are no new overpowered characters you have to buy, it's all there for you. there's no pay to win at all, the only reason you would pay for anything in the game is to support the developers or the professional gamers who play it. Expand
  89. Aug 15, 2013
    Extremely difficult to get into, but once you find a few characters your good at you'll start doing well and having fun. In the span of one match with Tusk I went from 1-5-3 to 4-5-8 by just getting the hang of the character in one match. DOTA 2 is definitely a step over LOL in the difficulty department, so i would use LoL as a starter to learn how to play MOAB games, then once you getExtremely difficult to get into, but once you find a few characters your good at you'll start doing well and having fun. In the span of one match with Tusk I went from 1-5-3 to 4-5-8 by just getting the hang of the character in one match. DOTA 2 is definitely a step over LOL in the difficulty department, so i would use LoL as a starter to learn how to play MOAB games, then once you get good at that jump into DOTA. Overall I do enjoy LoL a little more, but DOTA is something i like to switch to to keep my MOAB experience fresh. Expand
  90. Jul 23, 2013
    Dota 2 is hands down a fun, strategic game to play, however despite the factor that it has finally officially released out of Beta, I would like to highlight that there is still much being planned for it. First I would like to explain a little about me. I personally have a strong connection with strategy games and overall challenging games with fairly high learning curves, this beingDota 2 is hands down a fun, strategic game to play, however despite the factor that it has finally officially released out of Beta, I would like to highlight that there is still much being planned for it. First I would like to explain a little about me. I personally have a strong connection with strategy games and overall challenging games with fairly high learning curves, this being civilization 4 and 5, starcraft 2, league of legends, heroes of newerth and so on. So what I can say about Dota is that it is potentially the hardest of all of these to master. If you play the game and go to the hero screen, select meepo, then you know'll know how hard it can be. Getting into the game though has started to become easier then when it was in Beta though as tutorials, in-game guides, and improved layout has made it much easier to come into then before. Even if I didn't play Dota 1 I can tell you it is much, much smoother. But while their exists only a couple major tutorials I want to highlight that their will probably be more along the way.

In fact, valve has set up such a progressive series of goals for Dota 2 that will make the game run even stronger. For example, the dreaded leaver situation when someone loses internet or just is angry and leaves everyone 4 v 5. I personally have this problem in League of Legends, and Smite all the time. Well eventually Valve plans on reaching the point of having a bot take control of the character. Now this is amazing to me! Too many times has someone left at critical points and I suffered defeat at the hands of this. I already applaud the fact that unlike Lol or Smite I can control the leaver but even then that can be difficult with your own hero. This just shows how much work is still on the table and where this game is still going. Dota 2 despite being released out of Beta still has another 10 or 11 heroes not yet ported from Dota 1, so more strat is still coming. Another amazing thing is Dota 2 future plans to allow modding of maps and game modes, which is something the original dota at its heart was all about. Already people can mod costumes for characters and make cool in game gear (that pays the maker, Yeah valve pays people to create cosmetics) that doesn't affect the in-game gameplay. Dota 2 is a game about balance, constantly looking to create a fair strategic game. I have problems with Lol about how skins can improve champs, which adds to the P2W argument but thats a whole different debate I'm not touching.

The game has come to such a point that it runs so smoothly and in a sense it has the mindset of a game of basketball. At first your not the best shot and people will get aggressive but as you become comfortable with the game you catch on quick. You can imagine the different roles like positions on a basketball team, and make comparisons to help you. There is a great deal of help not necesarilly in the game but online too.

The Dota communitty is very strong, simillarly to the LoL communitty on websites like Reddit. I believe the Dota 2 reddit did a poll actually and found that they were the 6th most visited Reddit group (don't quote me on it, I could be mistaken since I can't find the post) There you can find people who are also learning and professionals who can answer your questions or help you learn. It's very interesting as well to see how much Valve pays attention to their fans, if a bug get's reported or an issue with Dota 2 Valve responds incredibly quickly.

One of the things that even I thought I would never take a part of was the professional series but valve has done a great job to nudge me in. I never thought I would start enjoying watching pros play but the I didn't think the same about basketball. However with so much accessibilty it becomes easy to get excited and view just about any game with the replay system and what not. Currently Dota 2 has the largest prize pool in eSports for the International 3. The community is strong and although we may have the occasional aggresive teammate, I personally find the aggresive teammate often is someone who needs a hug cause he having a bad game. (a.k.a dieing a lot or he's not sure what to either)

So in conclusion, It's honestly amazing to see how far the game has come along. However it is important to note that even now that it's out of Beta it still has a long way to go, with so much more planned ahead. Whether it be adjusting a model to give a character a better charm of likeability, or striving towards their goals the game has come along way in improving itself during Beta. However do not have the notion that it is done most of what it wants to do. It's just getting started.
  91. Jul 24, 2013
    I will try to be unbiased in this review as much as I can possibly imagine (despite the 10 in my score. I wish there was a 9.5). I've dedicated over 1400 hours to this game, and probably more in it's original incarnation of DotA back on the Warcraft 3 engine. NOTE: I will list all the technical aspects first, then go through the bad and mixed after that, and the reasons I absolutely rateI will try to be unbiased in this review as much as I can possibly imagine (despite the 10 in my score. I wish there was a 9.5). I've dedicated over 1400 hours to this game, and probably more in it's original incarnation of DotA back on the Warcraft 3 engine. NOTE: I will list all the technical aspects first, then go through the bad and mixed after that, and the reasons I absolutely rate this game a 10 will be listed after.

First off, the game itself is solid. It is mechanically and competitively balanced. There may be certain heroes that are currently favored in both high level public matches and in professional matches, but statistics show that win rates are pretty balanced at the 50% mark.

Secondly, the aesthetics and graphics are pretty well done. It is clearly a step above the original DotA. However, design style in comparison to other DotA clones are strictly to a user's preference. I know people who love LoL's design over Dota2's and vice versa. The caveat is that these things SHOULD NOT matter. It might get some getting use to, but overall, it will not detract from the experience.

Thirdly, the (may be) bad. This is true for every ARTS (or MOBA) game out there. There WILL be rude players out there. This is a game where every game counts. Since each match lasts for about 30 minutes to an hour each, a lot of people will only be able to play 1 to 2 games at a time. As such, they are emotionally invested to get the best experience of playing the game every time. Being so will encourage players to be extremely passionate about each match, so when there exists a player who is clearly not up to snuff, a visceral raging will most likely ensue. This leads me up to the next point:

Fourthly, the mix: This is not a game you can play just play casually forever. This game has a learning curve for EVERY aspect of the game, i.e. heroes, item builds, map control, laning, jungle control, warding, etc. You will SUCK at the beginning. It is inevitable. Everyone who starts this game has to go through it. This is the source of what many people call "Egoism" among veteran players. All of us veterans had to go through periods of mediocrity to be where we are now. We invested hours and hours into not just playing the game, but reading about it outside the game. This means we did homework on reading hero guides, watching replays, looking for tips on ward positions, etc. We went through sort of a "rite of initiation" to attain the personal skill level we are at now. In order for ANYONE to play this game WELL, they'd have to go through the same process over time. However, you will not go through this process alone which is illustrated in the next point.

Fifthly, the good: The community as a whole is one of the BEST i've ever been a part of. This may seem weird after I listed the third point. However, aside from the vicious minority, I've largely felt that this is the multiplayer game with the least amount of "a**holes". I've also found that the people who regularly complained about the "horrible" community are also the ones who regularly berates others in game. A bad attitude always begets bad attitude from others. However, this is one community that also LOVES to help new players succeed. People regularly posts guides and videos to help new players out. You just have to search for them. There are alot of resources to be gain from youtube as well. And friends i have that had just started out regularly tells me about their experiences where their teammates and even their opponents would give them tips to perform better each time. It is always best to upfront about your level of expertise, especially if you're new. This will set your teammates expectations at the appropriate level from the beginning and they'd be able to help you out when you need it. I've even seen people offer to train new players.

Sixth, The game itself has one of the most deepest design I have ever experienced in a game. You know that feeling that after 100 games of COD multiplayer, you'd feel like there's nothing new anymore? I've played this game (Dota2 and DotA) for 8 years and I'm still learning something new and subtle everyday. What sets this game apart from the other ARTS games is the things you DONT see on the surface. Everything is manipulatable, which translates to the evolution of a large variety of strategies that continues to expand after so many years. Things like creep pulling, stacking, lane control, etc are little nuances that may seem irrelevant to the untrained eye, but as you evolve as a player, you'd realize these little things help so much in the metagame. In extreme cases in high level play, a game can be said to be one from the moment you pick your heroes. This high level of strategic thinking is something other multiplayer games cannot achieve and is something is refined and evolved from community enacted plays over these years.

I'm running out of space to write more about this game. Just know this, this game is WORTH IT.
  92. Jul 24, 2013
    I scarcely give the highest score for anything, but in my opinion DotA2 is currently the best multiplayer experience both in the MOBA genre and for PvP games in general.

If you can live with the poisonous community (that is inherent in every competitive PvP game, but especially in MOBAs the "block player" checkbox helps in DotA2), you'll spend a LOT of hours trying to master the game, which contains many combinations of heroes, items and tactics.

If you're new and interested in this kind of PvP gameplay, don't give up too early. The learning curve is quite steep, but the newly introduced tutorial missions should help a lot. There are also helpful guides on the web, and the matchmaking will create even matchups after a couple of ranked matches.
  93. Jul 24, 2013
    Best MOBA Game on the market. It got a good fullfilling ecosystem, every game-mechanic is free and it works on Linux, OSX and Windows. Very interesting heros and mechanics, nice graphics, nearly no bugs, big communitiy which brings new content. Personally I would like to have a vote-surrender system like in LoL, but I see that this is not the philosophy of DOTA2 and i totally accept it.
  94. Jul 24, 2013
    I have spent nearly 1500 hours playing this game. It's been frustrating,punishing and perplexing; yet very enjoyable. it was overwhelming for the first 100 hours or so, not knowing the heroes or the items. However with some determination and guide reading/watching you unlock a highly rewarding and rich gaming experience which is unmatched!

I have noticed in other reviews they talk of

I have noticed in other reviews they talk of the trash talking community; ALL team games will have douche bags though dota compared to its counterparts is not as bad. You can easily mute unwanted language.

This game is truly free to play. It's pay to look cool and some of the cosmetics you can purchase (or receive as drops after games) are truly amazing! you also have a say of what will be sold in the store by voting on potential items in the steam workshop.

all in all Dota 2 is a demanding game and you will suck at first. Keep with it though and prepare for one of the gaming experiences.... oh and say goodbye to all other games!!
  95. Jul 25, 2013
    Perfection!
    this is the culmination of a decade of work by the community and the people directly associated with the game, its ever evolving and growing game that is best in its genre, give it some time let it grow on you and i assure you that soon you would wish to give it all of your time
  96. Jul 25, 2013
    Perfecta continuación de DotA, un juego que podra disfrutar por muchos años y nunca va a aburrir. Excelente balance de héroes, mejor comunidad que otros MOBA. Y es desarrollado por VALVE
  97. Jul 25, 2013
    Free to play, high skill ceiling and 100% skill based gameplay. No need to spend a cent in order to "have a chance", all the paid items are cosmetic and gives 0 advantage. This game have no room for the "casuals" to just join up and mash buttons until they occasionally win. if you're not willing to learn about the game and earn your victories, then I suggest you stay away from DOTA 2.
  98. Jul 26, 2013
    What can we ask more to this game?
    Very nice graphics, 100 and more heroes that are all free.
    The only thing missing is the ladder, which should come soon.
    Dota 2 For the Win. The most fun you can have online.
  99. Jul 27, 2013
    If you haven't yet played this game but are thinking about it, read this. Since there are so many negative reviews, I will address their issues first.

There are two broad kinds of people who play Dota 2, and you will recognise them straight away. One is the player who doesn't whine, and the other is the player who does. Those who whine can be recognised easily, because they have the glorious, 12-year-old attitude that is unmistakable. If they're winning, they will be cheeky in chat about their victory, and if they lose, they will flame at everyone and every action everyone took in the game except themselves and their own actions.

I believe I fit into the former category, and this is reflected in that I have never been muted. Those who are in the latter are those that post on the Steam Dota 2 community discussion forums, complaining that they get muted everyday. Check them out if you want to have a laugh. Also, when you've played the game and got used to it, come back on here and read the zero-rated reviews; they will also make you laugh at how deluded they are.

But, of course, none of what I just said, really matters. How you play is down to you. Yes, it's a very hard game to learn, and yes, there will be many matches that annoy you, but stick with it. There will be many times when you die and think to yourself, "wtf just happened?", but this passes when you learn the heroes. If you are expecting, or hoping, to win every game, don't even bother installing it.

I played a lot of LoL before playing Dota 2, and oh my god, I'm so glad I found this game. I've never looked back. It is much more player skill-based than LoL. You don't need to get summoner levels, or pay, to have runes, masteries, summoner spells... Everything you need to win, you have from your first game. There are no "external influences", if you will, like runes and masteries. Everything is down to your hero, the items you have, and how good you are with them.

Another difference from LoL is that invisibility is a hugely prevalent annoyance. You can buy invisibility in this game fairly cheaply, and some champions either have permanent invisibility or can be almost permanently invisible. Fighting these heroes will probably be your first struggle. If you meet Riki, Bounty Hunter, Clinkz and some others, remember the arsenal of anti-stealth that you can buy! Sentry wards will reveal them so you can farm safer in lane, and something special (and cheap!) that you wont find in LoL is Dust of Appearance. If an enemy nearby goes invisible, use Dust to reveal them! A more risky and much more expensive, but sometimes better investment, is the Gem of True Sight. It grants you true sight like a permanent Oracle's Elixir, however if you die, it drops from your body and an enemy could steal it and use it against you!

Also, you can find weapon and armor 'skins' for your heroes without having to pay. You can pay if you wish, of course, so it does kind of nullify the common, uncommon, rare, mythical branding of items. In my opinion, rare and mythical items should only be found by playing, so that their rarity is actually reflected by how many will have found them by braving the game. But this is Valve we're talking about, so that wont ever happen as sales will be down.

Also, the game does have its annoying bugs. At the time of writing, assuming they haven't just fixed it with the patch that is being downloaded right now, I have a bug where I can't select or attack enemy wards. Annoying, but hardly game-changing. I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Anyway, I hope I didn't ramble on too long on single topics, but I want to say what's important for those who haven't played yet but who want to. Good luck, have fun!
  100. Jul 27, 2013
    I've got almost 900 hours on record so far. I've played other games form this genre (LoL and HoN), and I have to say, DotA2 is by far the best.

I love games with steep learning curves, where accumulating knowledge and sharpening skill is absolutely necessary for it to be playable.

The game is very fun to play, the true online sportsmanship. Best game I've played in 10 years.

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Simply irresistible and addictive as hell.
  2. Sep 1, 2013
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    A great PvP game that offers some of the most intriguing and nuanced team combat around.