4.4

1. Mar 8, 2011
    An uninspiring sequel to a fairly fun and decent title that needed some minor polish. This game looks and feels rushed from the over the top, hack n' slash combat, to the horrible dialogue and environments. Throw into the mix massive piles of day 0 DLC, lack of mod tools, and a zoomed out camera, and you have a very alienated PC user base.

Overall a major disappointment.
  2. Mar 9, 2011
    I really don't see how taking out RPG elements out of an RPG would ever improve said RPG. This seems to be a re-occurring problem with sequels recently, removing key features for some odd reason.
  3. Mar 9, 2011
    It's wholly unfair to judge an entertainment product without taking the time to complete and evaluate it on its own terms; if one had skipped the finale to Lars Von Trier's masterful "Dogville," for instance, and judged it merely on its (somewhat dull) first two thirds, the criticisms one would level against it, while technically accurate, would be unfounded and unfair. Here lies myIt's wholly unfair to judge an entertainment product without taking the time to complete and evaluate it on its own terms; if one had skipped the finale to Lars Von Trier's masterful "Dogville," for instance, and judged it merely on its (somewhat dull) first two thirds, the criticisms one would level against it, while technically accurate, would be unfounded and unfair. Here lies my biggest issue with many of the first "0" reviews on Metacritic; unless these gamers live outside our time-space continuum, I cannot fathom how they could have had the time to fully evaluate the game, much less finish it. This damages the impression of many of these reviewers as it sets them up as soapbox preaching whiners who the vast populace should ignore, as well as their opinions.

That said, I have just completed "Dragon Age II" for the PC. And yes, every complaint railed against it is pretty much dead on: Brain-dead combat that fits the PC like a children's mitten on a camel (the lack of controller support is positively nonsensical), generic writing (at best), weak characterization, massive amounts of retconning (don't expect your save game from Origins/Awakening to matter in the slightest), mostly unreactive world, atrocious, "Saturday morning cartoon" art design (even WITH the texture pack) and a plot that barely even exists. Huzzah EA, you've successfully destroyed the final AAA RPG manufacturer in the world. Congrats. Would you like a cookie?

Do not buy this game. Please. EA does not need your money.

Well, unless you wish to buy my used copy on Amazon. If so, do buy it so that I can be rid of this abomination. Speaking of abominations, time to go fight some in Origins.
  4. Mar 8, 2011
    Never good when you make a game worse than it's prequel. So many problems with the game. So much hype over it by DA fans. The "professional" reviewers are giving it a high score for some reason I do not know.
  5. Mar 9, 2011
    Reading some of the negative user reviews on meta-critic,I wonder if this is not just disbelief that Bioware would venture into a different direction. I personally have no objection for a company, entertainment or not trying new ideas. Dragon Age II is an experimental game. Yes, it does retain a quantum of Origins, however much of it's predecessor has been stripped away. What was strippedReading some of the negative user reviews on meta-critic,I wonder if this is not just disbelief that Bioware would venture into a different direction. I personally have no objection for a company, entertainment or not trying new ideas. Dragon Age II is an experimental game. Yes, it does retain a quantum of Origins, however much of it's predecessor has been stripped away. What was stripped away will definitely irk fans of the first. The inability to customize equipment for companions. The change in chat dialogue. The graphics, and faster combat pace. Lack of spell combination's. No death animations. Whatever one's reasons, surely you can find fault in this product. The glaring, yet easily fixable issues of this game, fall in the games mechanics specifically the A.I. Tank A.I is awful, you'll find yourself (no matter what difficulty) controlling the tank character. The character(s) will activate taunt when enemies are not present, and attempt to spam it's damage reduction moves constantly. Your companions hardly adhere to positional commands either. You'll find yourself using the hold position command, and manually controlling the party. Scripts, must be improved in future patches, if Bioware/EA wishes to sell future DLC's. The good in this game, is the storyline. The game engine runs smoothly on many systems as well. Bioware has always done a excellent job optimizing their products. The characters are believable, yet may or may not hold the same charm as the first games'. The voice acting for the main is exceptional, both male and female. The voice acting in general is very good. The combat can get frustrating, but it retains the "joy" which Origins brought. The skill system is much improved, they condensed it but hardly loses any of it's flare. You'll just have to evaluate this title for what it is: A Different Approach. Expand
  6. Mar 10, 2011
    You'd think bioware would learn from their mistakes, but apparently they don't. Putting in a mass effect conversation wheel was possibly the stupidest choice they could have made, add a couple of copy and paste dungeons and N64 level graphics and you have yourself the worst game of the year. If they spend half as much money on developing the game as they do on paying of reviewers, theyYou'd think bioware would learn from their mistakes, but apparently they don't. Putting in a mass effect conversation wheel was possibly the stupidest choice they could have made, add a couple of copy and paste dungeons and N64 level graphics and you have yourself the worst game of the year. If they spend half as much money on developing the game as they do on paying of reviewers, they might actually make a decent game. Expand
  7. Mar 9, 2011
    Nononono.

Nothing like the original, and even in an original sense it fails in every conceivable way. It's over-stylized, as if making a game an eyesore is somehow better than a drab, boring looking landscape full of boring looking people (they're both terrible, I guess I have a tolerance for the latter, given how I hate this game) Combat is identical to any hack-n-slash console game-
    Nononono.

Combat is identical to any hack-n-slash console game- even on PC, no tactical camera, pause and play is merely optional which completely destroys the point of it even being there, the combat does look more fluid and fun but it's still not my cup of tea, and wasn't the reason I bought the original.

Adding a dialog wheel is insulting, I've never been satisfied with the way Mass Effect did things, either you're cyber Jesus or future Hitler, and there's no in-betweens, the voice actor for Hawke is mediocre at best.

It's playable, yes, but it's also the destruction of what was the only isometric tactical RPG franchise we still had.

Shame on you, Bioware.
  8. Mar 9, 2011
    I waited to buy the game because I was tentative and, after having played it at my friend's house (and seeing the reviews), I'm glad I didn't.

My short playthrough of the demo and my long play at my friend's house has shown me that Bioware has given us a throwaway in DA2. -The locations are bland. Flat, color-less, empty (and I mean devoid of life... ME2 felt like a bustling galaxy, even

-The locations are bland. Flat, color-less, empty (and I mean devoid of life... ME2 felt like a bustling galaxy, even in empty places. Here... everything just seems disjointed and static). The beginning area of the game, which would have been an amazing opportunity to kick off the game the right way by showing the full range of the Darkspawn destruction, was instead limited to a couple brown ditches, a small, crumbling structure, and a battle on a flat, brown field. The "bustling, and over-populated" city of Kirkwall, which is the ONLY CITY YOU WILL SEE ALL GAME, is full of bland, repeated textures, and claustrophobic, bite-sized map chunks.

-The story is almost non-existent (we're several hours in and have yet to encounter anything that resembles a coherent plotline, save "go here, do this."). I wish I was joking, but this game jams side quests down your throat like you wouldn't believe. And, unlike DA:O or ME2, every single one of these side quests is boring beyond belief.

-The combat is clunky. Between targeting issues and camera fowl-ups, I've easily MISSED enemies with attacks and had to repeat entire battles because my Defender is too stupid to defend my mage (who goes down in three seconds from EVERYTHING attacking her) when I tell her to. Babysitting the Defender through the pause menu makes no difference whatsoever, because fights are too fast, flurried, and often too spaced out for abilities like (AoE) Taunt or (cone) Shield Bash to prove effective.

-Shepherd in ME1 *and* ME2 felt special, because she was uncompromising, strong-willed, and experienced, which showed in every playthrough on either Renegade or Paragon. However,in DA2, everyone keeps saying Hawke is a "Champion"... but I can see no clear reason why Hawke is special, other than she's the PC and Bioware said so.

-The poorly-written dialogue reinforces this, as Hawke is bland and uninteresting. Her compatriots are similar in this regard, as they sign on to her party without question, offer help for no reason, and become fast friends for no reason other than it's convenient to expedite the pace of the game. Much of the dialog (lore, expository, AND romantic) is downright abysmal and actually forced me on numerous occasions to stop playing so I could find someone to point out how stupid they were. No joke... there is actually a portion of the game where one character admits their love for Hawke... and an available response is "I'm hungry." *facepalm*

-The first two hours of the game emphasize combat only by making you play through the beginning... the play through it AGAIN, just in case you didn't enjoy the SAME EXACT BATTLE the FIRST time. It barely touches on specialization (which is confusing unless you spend 20 minutes reading all the different branches and even then, some of them are locked to your characters), and are filled with endless waves of cookie-cutter enemies. Hell... even the writers seemed to get bored with it, because I was allowed into the city with two short walks on the same, small map, before I was consigned to a ONE YEAR fast forward and then introduced to a bunch of NPCs (lacking any discernible personality besides being gruff and shrewd) that knew my character as a slave, but had yet to be introduced to me. This actually ends up being the tone of the game, where you complete numerous side quests before completing a few big ones and fast-forwarding the story a year into the future. This ended up making me frustrated to the point that I lost all interest in character progression, because I was missing large gaps of time. Oh, and my first big quest is "make mom happy." Fantastic.

-Inventory system is broken and clunky. Companions are almost stuck with the gear they've got.

-Game is unoptimized for beta drivers, comes without the HD textures pack (God knows why, but you have to download it from Bioware separately), and has some of the ugliest, blandest... and creepiest... character models, textures, and weapon models. Google "Dragon Age 2 looks" to see what I mean.

This game reeks of crappy console port and is a slap in the face to the PC community that has become Bioware's fanbase of the years. The game has been dumbed-down (repetition, repetition) significantly to appeal to the console gaming crowd and it's painfully obvious. No game should make you feel like you have to struggle to enjoy it and DA2 made me miserably bored and angry for hours before my friend and I uninstalled it.

This game is God-awful pitiful at the on-set and several hours through does not appear to be getting any better. Do NOT buy.
  9. Mar 8, 2011
    After playing the demo, hoped that the full game would worth something. But, simply no. Basically, a hack&slash game with conversations, companions, etc... And those alone doesn't make a game one RPG. Just an insult. I'll no longer buy any Bioware games, they don't exist for me anymore.
  10. Mar 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My experience with Dragon Age 2 has been a complete mess (similar to all the Bioware/EA PR incidents that have been happening lately) since I picked the game up on release date, fully regretting it. While the presentation, graphics and sound of the game are bordering on average the biggest difficulty lies with this less than mediocre game relying on the name of it's predecessor for sales while failing in all the areas that should have been improved. While the graphical style is good and does make for a nice looking game the extremely low resolution textures and terrible models of certain people in Kirkwall stand out extremely badly, not only that but because every location in the game is repeated ad naueseum you notice it every single time. There is literally nothing in the soundtrack that stands out compared to some of the tracks in DA:O that really drives home the point that the composer mentioned in an IGN interview about being rushed by EA to push the game out as soon as possible. Now it is the gameplay that really causes the game to fall apart and where the poor work that was put into the game is clearest. The two main portions of the game- combat and conversation- were terribly done due to their desire to appeal to as many non-RPG fans as possible without attempting to cater to their true fanbase, the most insulting part of the game. The combat was pointless and repetitive where fights without 20 enemies falling out of the sky as reinforcements was an oddity and a severe lack of tactics became obvious as I never had to make custom tactics on the hard difficulty. Conversation under the mass effect wheel was even worse than it was in mass effect with the vaguest statements being available on your "choices" which hardly change a thing in the game and only give you an illusion of having a decision. Not only that but the story was so terribly written it must be embarrassing for anyone from the original DA:O team to play through it: a refugee where everyone that you care about dies, constant fast-forwarding that give you no incite on your character, random plot devices being thrown in such as the lyrium idol turning into Meredith's sword which seemed more like a "HEY REMEMBER THIS FROM 3-6 YEARS AGO?", random DA:O cameos that make absolutely no sense without explanation, stupid decisions by NPCs that they make for no reason and without any explanation such as Orlin using blood magic, Merril being kidnapped without any mention and still having the ability to use her to save her from her own kidnapping, terribly written romances (obviously Twilight referenced)... I can't keep going on without feeling sad for the state of this sequel, Bioware and the current direction video games are taking. There isn't even any lasting appeal to the game as you already play through the same area 100 times by the end of the game anyway. The idea about centering the story and game around a single city and how it was influenced by your character and what changed during your life isn't a bad idea but the implementation where nothing else changes in the scenery and absolutely everything remains the same for the 7 years of gameplay just pulls away from any semblance of immersion this game can give you. Just save your money, you'll find way better RPGs from budget studios than you will from Bioware now it seems. Expand
  11. Mar 9, 2011
    Here goes...reserved the game months ago because I loved DA:O and even Awakening. Bought a couple of DLC even. Thought the game was a bone to the old-ish veteran gamers who enjoyed Baldur's gate, NWN, etc. Here's my opinion on the game:

Pros: -Characters are pretty interesting so far (played about 8 hours) -Voice acting is great. Cons: -Action oriented, which is a matter of

Pros:
    -Characters are pretty interesting so far (played about 8 hours)
    -Voice acting is great.

Cons:
    -Action oriented, which is a matter of opinion. But considering this is the sequel to the 2009 GotY that used a completely different combat system more based on strategy, this just sounds like Bioware left its old fans behind and tried to reach for a new market. On that note, ''Strategic pause'' isn't very strategic. Button mashing feast.
    -Graphics are unpolished. Unexcusable, especially the NPC's look horrible up close.
    -Dungeons rehashed only 5 hours in the game...really Bioware?
    -No isometric view. Makes me believe the PC game was more an afterthought than anything else.
    -Story is unfocused. Jumping from point to point in time and following the story through someone else's viewpoints isnt a bad idea (Diablo 2 everyone?) but it's poorly done this time, at least in my humble opinion.
    -Dialogue wheel was fine for Mass Effect, but it breaks the mood for this game. Having a choice between being overboard angelic, a complete **** or a wisecracker doesnt sound like a lot of choice to me.
    -So little choice on how to customize the main character...human male or female. Poor immersion, I never believed for a second I was Hawke the way I identified to my warden in DA2.
  12. Mar 8, 2011
    This is an absolute joke. Bioware took everything that made DA:O great, and then tried as hard as they could to make it suck. Graphics are worse, plot is worse, voice acting is worse, variety of locations are worse, combat is worse, special attacks are WORTHLESS unless you just like a pretty light show (or a ridiculous vaporized cloud of blood). To add insult to injury, they had the nerveThis is an absolute joke. Bioware took everything that made DA:O great, and then tried as hard as they could to make it suck. Graphics are worse, plot is worse, voice acting is worse, variety of locations are worse, combat is worse, special attacks are WORTHLESS unless you just like a pretty light show (or a ridiculous vaporized cloud of blood). To add insult to injury, they had the nerve to price this piece of crap ten dollars more than the previous version, which was ten times better. It PISSES ME OFF that devs whine about piracy and release games like these. Like a poster said below, if you don't want your games pirated, don't release CRAP. I'm so angry I wasted my money on this garbage. No wonder the lead developer left... I would shoot myself in the face rather than have my name attached to this travesty. Expand
  13. Mar 9, 2011
    I've played the first part of the game (PC version). Well, DA2 is absolutely below any average expectation, an insult to RPG games: the combat mechanics are directly mutuated by a consolish system which simply brings the player to "press a button repeatedly" (or by clicking in my case)... And "something awesome" DOESN'T HAPPEN. Animations are mediocre and feels like watching a japaneseI've played the first part of the game (PC version). Well, DA2 is absolutely below any average expectation, an insult to RPG games: the combat mechanics are directly mutuated by a consolish system which simply brings the player to "press a button repeatedly" (or by clicking in my case)... And "something awesome" DOESN'T HAPPEN. Animations are mediocre and feels like watching a japanese cartoon. During dialogues, npc's are stuck like mannequins and facial animations are poor. Did I say dialogues? Oh, yes... Dialogues are simply awful, are they written by a 12 years old boy? They are poor in content and in words themselves, with no "verve" and inspiration, the same fantasy rpg-like pattern always replicated. Well... Wow! Technically the game is discreet, neither generous in details, nor scandalously lacking of polygons (don't expect something great anyway). To finish, the plot isn't interesting at all, there is a sensation of deja-vu everywhere, and voice acting doesn't help. A reccomendation: don't buy this game and wait for The Witcher 2. Expand
  14. Mar 9, 2011
    Bland characters, soap opera dialogs, no choice of playable back-story or race. Combat system looks like a bloody jRPG with over-sized weapons swung at supersonic speed. Sometimes when you hit an opponent with 2h sword he vaporises into a tiny blood cloud and only his shoes are left standing... (I'm serious) T_T this game is a joke - a bad, bad joke that just makes me wanna play theBland characters, soap opera dialogs, no choice of playable back-story or race. Combat system looks like a bloody jRPG with over-sized weapons swung at supersonic speed. Sometimes when you hit an opponent with 2h sword he vaporises into a tiny blood cloud and only his shoes are left standing... (I'm serious) T_T this game is a joke - a bad, bad joke that just makes me wanna play the sh**tiest DLC from the first one and forget about that nightmare of a sequel. Expand
  15. Mar 9, 2011
    Utter disappointment. They say Dragon Age II hasn't been dumbed down, it's just more welcoming. The truth is somewhere in-between. The new art direction doesn't really cut it (Dragon Age is a gritty fantasy epic, not some cartoon-ish gorefest), the combat is terrible, lacking any kind of tactical capabilities, it is just mindless button-mashing (even on Nightmare, there is simply notUtter disappointment. They say Dragon Age II hasn't been dumbed down, it's just more welcoming. The truth is somewhere in-between. The new art direction doesn't really cut it (Dragon Age is a gritty fantasy epic, not some cartoon-ish gorefest), the combat is terrible, lacking any kind of tactical capabilities, it is just mindless button-mashing (even on Nightmare, there is simply not enough challenge), rendering the pause and play system completely useless. The environments are uninspired and the gameplay is restricted to a single corridor (most of the time). Mr. Gaider did his best to support the poor combat experience, by some mature storytelling and the framed narrative, but He fails to live up to the example of Alpha Protocol. The plotline is dramatic enough, but the undeveloped C&C, along with the cliched dialogues are well below the standards. The main protagonist is voiced, which would be good thing, had it not been for the removal of the Origin stories. The only redeeming factor of Dragon Age II is the immense work put into the soundtrack and acting. Inon Zur is brilliant as always, even though the score is not as memorable as Prince of Persia or Icewind Dale II. And whoever designed the new UI, should start again from scratch; it reminded me of Morrowind, and that masterpiece came out a decade ago.

All summarized in one sentence: Dragon Age II is an insult to the first game and the RPG genre.
  16. Mar 10, 2011
    Super Dragon Age Fighter 2 Turbo: Tournament Edition Round 2.
    Console trash. A money grab. A precisely calculated move. When you make a deal with the devil (EA), he always comes back to collect. Bioware is dead.
  17. Mar 8, 2011
    A horrible, wretched nightmare from which you can never awake. That is what this game feels like. The original DA:O was a lovingly crafted tour-de-force moment in the history of video games. The sequel feels like a rush-job shoved out the door to cash in quickly on its success. The levels look bland, the quest variety is paltry, the characters are boring, and the combat feels dumbed downA horrible, wretched nightmare from which you can never awake. That is what this game feels like. The original DA:O was a lovingly crafted tour-de-force moment in the history of video games. The sequel feels like a rush-job shoved out the door to cash in quickly on its success. The levels look bland, the quest variety is paltry, the characters are boring, and the combat feels dumbed down for consoles. Shame on EA! And shame on Bioware for releasing this steaming pile of **** Expand
  18. Mar 9, 2011
    Just dire. Did not think BioWare could make games this bad. Is it the EA effect? This is neither a proper action game nor a proper RPG - it's some mutant ugly hybrid trying to appeal to both types of gamer, and failing. And a cliffhanger ending? So much for epic story - just an ad for some DLC or DA3. The graphics are worse than Dragon Age 1, like some 2005 console port. The combat is justJust dire. Did not think BioWare could make games this bad. Is it the EA effect? This is neither a proper action game nor a proper RPG - it's some mutant ugly hybrid trying to appeal to both types of gamer, and failing. And a cliffhanger ending? So much for epic story - just an ad for some DLC or DA3. The graphics are worse than Dragon Age 1, like some 2005 console port. The combat is just a button mashing cartoon, dumbed down from DA1. LOTS of things have been cut. It's short - like 12 hours for the main campaign. The characters you meet feel lifeless, and the same scenery is recycled. To hide this, BioWare stuck in lots of bink cinematics and sex scenes. Get ready to be fleeced with tons of DLC now that will raise the cost of this disgusting trainwreck to over $100. Last BioWare game I buy â Expand
  19. Mar 9, 2011
    Bioware decides to ditch the gameplay mechanics that made Dragon Age 1 such an engaging and strategic experience, in favor of making an action ARR PEE GEE on par with Fable 2 or Fable 3 in it's lackluster execution. Every design choice, graphical rendering, movement control scream out "MADE FOR CONSOLES." Regardless, it will make all of it's developers money back, due to it's two previousBioware decides to ditch the gameplay mechanics that made Dragon Age 1 such an engaging and strategic experience, in favor of making an action ARR PEE GEE on par with Fable 2 or Fable 3 in it's lackluster execution. Every design choice, graphical rendering, movement control scream out "MADE FOR CONSOLES." Regardless, it will make all of it's developers money back, due to it's two previous sucessful entries, Dragon Age has changed for the worse in this sequel. 0/10 Expand
  20. WMD
    Mar 8, 2011
    I am extremely disappointed in Dragon Age II. I should have done the research, I should have waited a few days and read the reviews. Instead at 10 AM today I was at Gamestop picking up my copy not knowing just how disappointed I was about to be. I expected a lot of this game, what I did not expect to receive was a dumbed-down almost direct console port of a video game. The graphics lookI am extremely disappointed in Dragon Age II. I should have done the research, I should have waited a few days and read the reviews. Instead at 10 AM today I was at Gamestop picking up my copy not knowing just how disappointed I was about to be. I expected a lot of this game, what I did not expect to receive was a dumbed-down almost direct console port of a video game. The graphics look terrible even with the "high-res" pack installed and running. The vegetation is so sparse it is comical. The inventory system is deplorable. For every character other than your main character you can only change their weapon, rings, and amulet and belt. No boots, no gloves, no helmet, no grieves. The battles amount to nothing more than, "Here fight these 8 enemies you can one shot. You killed them? Here is another 8. You killed them!? Bet you didn't see this come, here is another wave. Good job, you won." There is no strategy involved, indeed, there CANT be strategy when just about every one of your abilities one-shots your enemies. There just isn't time. I am writing this review in the hopes of saving someone else the disappointment I am feeling. I just played 13 hours of Dragon Age 2. All 13 hours of the same thing was going through my head, "This game is nowhere near as epic as its predecessor because it is FIRST a console RPG, and then a pc RPG, not the other way around like DA:O was". Save your money if you own a pc, rent it if you on a ps3 or 360. Don't make the mistake I did. Expand
  21. Mar 8, 2011
    Boring, boring and boring ... Can't even compare it to DA:O not to mention BioWare's older RPG games. Incredible disappointment. No much more to say.
  22. Mar 8, 2011
    The slovenly PC gamer review is the worst of all. Everything I want to say has been said. Save your money and teach Bioware a lesson

That is all...
  23. Mar 9, 2011
    A real disappointment, Bioware has gone to the dogs. Everything about this game stinks: The drab graphics (even with the high res texture pack), horrible dialogue, lack of variety in location, limited party control, poor combat - you can't see what the hell is going on half the time. It feels like a tacky Playstation 2 game, not a bleeding edge title released in 2012. Dragon Age 2 isA real disappointment, Bioware has gone to the dogs. Everything about this game stinks: The drab graphics (even with the high res texture pack), horrible dialogue, lack of variety in location, limited party control, poor combat - you can't see what the hell is going on half the time. It feels like a tacky Playstation 2 game, not a bleeding edge title released in 2012. Dragon Age 2 is garbage - don't even buy it when its on sale. Expand
  24. Mar 9, 2011
    Seems that there are no more old-style rpgs: Dragon Age Origins was far from Baldur's Gate series as well as Dragon Age 2 is far from Dragon Age Origins and I don't want console-looking games in my pc, especially if they claim to be solid rpg when they aren't at all. It's a murder. There are already Mass Effect that is an eccellent action game series.
    P.s.
    @Bioware, do not apply some dx11
    P.s.
    @Bioware,
    do not apply some dx11 feature to the engine makeing it heavier when this force you to make an "essential graphics". It's not necessary: it's stupid, . Gamers prefere less feature and more artistic style: we aren't benchers.
  25. Mar 9, 2011
    All I do is follow my little icon that tells me where to press A some more. No party banter, no cool icons for your trash, everything is white and streamlined and boring looking as far as loot goes, not to mention the fact that all the interesting loot is reserved for me alone. Worse than all of the hack and slash button mashing combat is the fact that even though I've made it to theAll I do is follow my little icon that tells me where to press A some more. No party banter, no cool icons for your trash, everything is white and streamlined and boring looking as far as loot goes, not to mention the fact that all the interesting loot is reserved for me alone. Worse than all of the hack and slash button mashing combat is the fact that even though I've made it to the Deep Roads, I still don't give a damn about any of my companions. For a Bioware game, that is a crying shame. Just how are they managing these (generally) high reviews from gaming sites? The payoffs must have been epic. Taking it back to the store today and going to reply DA:O on PC to wash the bad taste out of my mouth. Expand
  26. Mar 8, 2011
    After purchasing Dragon Age 2 and playing it for some 8 hours, I've come here to warn the people against buying this game. First of all, it is completely unbelievable that a triple A title that had millions upon millions of dollars of production budget has graphics that looks like it's from 2001. I'm playing with the high resolution texture pack that needs to be downloaded and installedAfter purchasing Dragon Age 2 and playing it for some 8 hours, I've come here to warn the people against buying this game. First of all, it is completely unbelievable that a triple A title that had millions upon millions of dollars of production budget has graphics that looks like it's from 2001. I'm playing with the high resolution texture pack that needs to be downloaded and installed separately, and DX11 on my AMD 6970 and yet Morrowind has prettier graphics. The game was also designed with 12 year old children in mind by giving laughable and ridiculous amounts of gore and sex innuendos with party members that it's on the verge of being a parody of itself. The writing is terrible, invoking cliches from the worst airport novels. Story is an incoherent mash of gibberish and stuff we've seen in Origins. Level design is boring and some maps are literally copied from Dragon Age Origins. Dialogues can only be explained as retarded; no living creatures sputter the words with no meaning and completely inappropriate to the situation so often as DA2 characters. There is no fun to be had from this game, and that's a shame to see Bioware go this way. Expand
  27. Mar 9, 2011
    Read these comments

The majority of the people played only a couple hours of this game before realizing that it wasnt worth it to invest anymore time into playing something like this. By proof of contradiction, I will show you why this game doesnt deserve anything above a 5 Suppose, that the true rating of this game was actually 90+ as rated by PC Gamer, then it must be the case that
    Read these comments

Suppose, that the true rating of this game was actually 90+ as rated by PC Gamer, then it must be the case that this would be:

*The best RPG ever
    *The biggest and most interesting town that you ever seen in RPG
    *Many player choices with consequences on the story.
    *Well written story that will make your eyes wet many times
    *Much more attaching companions, more so than any of DAO.
    etc.

But anyone who has played the game will see that:

*The best RPG ever?

Not by a lightyear

*The biggest and most interesting town that you ever seen in RPG

What?

*Many player choices with consequences on the story.

Im hungry

*Well written story that will make your eyes wet many times

lol

*Much more attaching companions, more so than any of DAO.
    etc.

nope

And there you see by proof of contradiction 0/10
  28. Mar 9, 2011
    This isn't a RPG! It's a hack'n'slash! There is nothing else to say: it's a game for casual gamers! At technical level there's only one interesting thing: the soundtrack! Everything else it's really really poor!
  29. Mar 8, 2011
    WNxWind has got to be the biggest idiot ever. First he claims the game isn't a console port because Bioware released a high res texture pack. Wait a sec...if the game wasn't a console port IT WOULDNT REQUIRE A HIGH RES TEXTURE PACK. And the combat? What? You would have to have an IQ of less than 10 to find the combat challenging. The graphics even on very high with the high-res textureWNxWind has got to be the biggest idiot ever. First he claims the game isn't a console port because Bioware released a high res texture pack. Wait a sec...if the game wasn't a console port IT WOULDNT REQUIRE A HIGH RES TEXTURE PACK. And the combat? What? You would have to have an IQ of less than 10 to find the combat challenging. The graphics even on very high with the high-res texture pack aren't amazing or even that good...the lighting is **** terrible. Not to mention if you have a Fermi card (or in SLI) you'll notice massive lag spikes since nVidia's drivers suck. The overall UI (apart from spell selection) look like it was designed in 5mins with no real thought.

This game is a console port, that's been dumbed even further down to satisfy the casual market.
  30. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is an absolute joke. They've taken the best parts of DA:O and excised them, choosing instead to distill the franchise through a Mass Effect 2 flavored filter and then serve the resulting abomination with a nice glass of Console Port. The funny thing is, I played the demo on my PC and was already disappointed; I don't know why I was expecting the actual game to be any different.This game is an absolute joke. They've taken the best parts of DA:O and excised them, choosing instead to distill the franchise through a Mass Effect 2 flavored filter and then serve the resulting abomination with a nice glass of Console Port. The funny thing is, I played the demo on my PC and was already disappointed; I don't know why I was expecting the actual game to be any different. There's a big difference between "simplified" and "dumbed-down," and DA2 gruesomely illustrates the latter. Options, preferences, camera controls and dialogue options, all reduced to the absolute minimum of interaction and usability. Bioware (likely at EA's behest, with the aim of broadening market appeal) has created a hobbled gameplay experience that is neither pedestrian enough to appeal to mainstream console audiences nor nuanced enough to appeal to hardcore PC RPG enthusiasts. In trying to please everyone, they've pleased no one.

It's truly misleading to call this a "Sequel," as this game has very little in common with its predecessor, choosing to ride the coat tails of name recognition instead. And the promise of perpetual DLC down the road from day one (arguably content that should have been included for the price but was held back in favor of stretching profits) only further exposes this shameless $60 cash grab for what it is. The fact that it's receiving such glowing reviews by paid critics leads me to believe that somewhere, someone was crossing palms with a few "gold pieces" of their own to get some good feedback.
  31. Mar 9, 2011
    Ive never reviewed a game on here before, but after about 10-15 hours into this, i just could not do it anymore. i needed to tell people not to buy this game. you might argue that that game has good RP systems, or whatever, and it dosent deserve a flat out 0, mabye a 3 or 4, but a game that when i play it, all i want to do is **** STOP playing it, deserves a 0 in my eyes. god i hope i canIve never reviewed a game on here before, but after about 10-15 hours into this, i just could not do it anymore. i needed to tell people not to buy this game. you might argue that that game has good RP systems, or whatever, and it dosent deserve a flat out 0, mabye a 3 or 4, but a game that when i play it, all i want to do is **** STOP playing it, deserves a 0 in my eyes. god i hope i can get my money back on this junk.

it is a total insult to all DA:O fans, and PC gamers in general. terrible console port, from a company that once made such great games. Bioware, if you are reading this, do NOT let your DA team ANYWHERE near Mass Effect 3.
  32. Mar 9, 2011
    I was honestly hoping the demo was a quick hash together of what Bioware was trying to showcase. But unfortunately, it isnt.

For a company that has prided and based its core values on polish and presentation, Bioware has let out a sloppy, poorly executed let down -Technically and creatively. The creators made a fatal error in judgement storywise, telling the game in flashback (which

The creators made a fatal error in judgement storywise, telling the game in flashback (which instantly detaches you from your character, because subconciously you dont believe you are making choices which will affect the outcome. You've already made the choices, now you're just "replaying" them back).

On top of which, the actors were badly miscast. Hawke sounds like he is trying out a bad imitation of Sean Bean, and spends so long getting his Queen's English correct, it completely loses all emotion from the role. The others fare just as poorly, with the exceptions of the pirate woman, Isabella, and the cameo of Flemeth, Kate Mulgrew reprising her role and as expressive as ever. When you compare it to Origins, the diversity and depth of character in the actors voices alone made the experience feel more like a movie than a video game. The gameplay is repetitive and dull, with no thought seemingly gone into expanding on Origins' systems, just simplfying them for a console audience. This goes into the animations and art, which are leaning purposefully towards Japanese RPGism. Fast, unrealistic animations and a complete detachment from your characters movement all lose the charm the original cast, even with its minor flaws. The darker, more brooding look could have worked in its favour, if it had held to the principles Origins set out. Also, for some reason, cities like Kirkwall seem far less cluttered or "lived in" than places like Lothering, or the cities from the previous game. No litter, or copious amounts of barrels or gear lying outside houses or places of work. Again, you get the nagging suspicion this was cut for speed of production.

The Qunari (an important race in DA), also, are completely redone - as if the creators didnt like the idea they had already set in motion 2 years and 6-12 months of production thinking ago. So they changed their look completely.... midway through a trilogy. Granted if George Lucas had done this with Gungans, we'd of all breathed a sigh of relief. But to do this seriously in what a company was billing as one of its major franchises is a little bit ...unnerving. What if Tolkien had decided he thought Dwarves were too small midpoint through publishing Lord of the Rings? Just changing things willynilly through a series or trilogy pangs of a lack of creative integrity and professionalism. If this becomes a trend, whats to stop JJ Abrahms changing the character of say... Chekov, in the next movie, to a female? It is these sort of amateurish small mistakes that pile on top of one another in Dragon Age 2. The small things that came off in Origins were what made and built up the game a popular following. The only, and i mean only, really redeeming feature of Dragon Age 2 - that not only lives up to, but equals, and then betters the original - is Inon Zur's wonderful soundtrack. He got the feeling of epic brutal savagry mixed with dark, poigniant despair in the original immediately, and he pulled off the grander, more unrelenting nature of what this game was *supposed* to be brilliantly. This man should be writing scores for Hollywood, not games.

So all in all. The graphics are a let down if you dont have DX11 (cant even access high rez textures if you dont). The gameplay is a detached, unfeeling, boring mishmash of the original. The story also detaches you from your character in a way Origins never did; and the rough edges are enough to cut yourself on.

If you love music scores though, you'd be better served waiting for the inevitable Dragon Age 2 soundtrack to be released however, rather than buying the game itself.

So sad. One of the most anticipated games of the year has been a complete and utter let down. ... It was only time i guess before Bioware's tremendous record of creating wonderfully playable and engrossing games, came to an end. I just didnt expect it would be Dragon Age to do it.

I rated it a 3 purely for Inon Zur's music. If not for him, i would've put this even lower. Dont listen to the professional game critics - they get paid and given incentives by the big companies. Listen to all these reviews from actual *gamers*
  33. Mar 9, 2011
    First off I want to say that before today I didnt have a user here on metacritic I registered solely so I could share my utter hatred for this abomination called "Dragon Age 2", it's the bastard child of Bad Console ports, and stupid greed. First off I was a mega DA:O fanboi, i loved it to death, and aside from Mass Effect 2 which I consider a poor port aswell and not deserving of anyFirst off I want to say that before today I didnt have a user here on metacritic I registered solely so I could share my utter hatred for this abomination called "Dragon Age 2", it's the bastard child of Bad Console ports, and stupid greed. First off I was a mega DA:O fanboi, i loved it to death, and aside from Mass Effect 2 which I consider a poor port aswell and not deserving of any praise what so ever, I was actually a bioware fanboi, this changed today, and let me explain why. 1. Removal of tactical overview, this does not need to be explained if you're a PC gamer, this was a **** decision and it proved to be one of the worst side steps EVER! 2. You Can't upg. the armor on your companions now what the **** is this? That is the stupidest **** I ever heard, you can't upg armor in an RPG? Makes you feel VERY disconnected from your party. 3. Targetting, and inability to use out of combat spells? I can't for the life of me figure out why I'm not allowed to throw a fireball through a door and hit like i could in DA:O, you have to wait until the enemy engages you thats down right retarded, pick your battles much? 4. Bugged combat on nightmare, basically with the removal of multiple spells from the wizard cycle you have less tactical manevouring to do which means that you get stuck in some awful situations that you just can't get out of. Not saying it's impossible to complete on nightmare at all, im saying is there really such a thing as constant permanent knock downs? If you played the game, you know what I mean. 5. Removed the interaction with NPC's all together, and shop keepers are now tables, and chests? Now what the **** is up with that? Unless they have a glimmering ****ing ! like in world of warcraft over their head, you can't speak to them? Why did bioware decide to make a city feel this ghost like instead of building on from denerim? 6. Boss Fights / Spawn points, now here is a thing that really bugged the **** out of me in this game there seems to be random spawn points, just build for a console so you don't have to look to far around to find some action, which means if you actually TRY to be tactical and position your mages behind a shield walled tank, dont feed safe, and why not? Well because soldiers in this game have wings, which means they land from the ****ing SKY and drop down like command troops in second world war, to my disbelief a good tactic turned **** because my mages suddenly got pummeled, removing once again the tactical aspect of the RPG. 7. This brings me to the hack and slash aspect, they talk about the new mechanics like it's soo refined and polished, all i see is alittle more combat animations, sure it's nice and all, but all you do now is move a rogue behind people and hit them, and watch things die, it's no challenge on anything but nightmare, and on nightmare you will suffer from the removal of tactic, which makes this another dumbed down diablo 2 hack'n'slash clone with a little prettier graphics and some voice acting, big whoop. This is a review written after 9 hours of gameplay on nightmare, and I'm not returning to the game, I will try to get a refund on this piece of **** I do not want it in my house, if I can't get it refunded im selling it in resale.

And all those fanboys who give this game 10, does not mean what true RPG means, I have played all the old fall-out games, all the old black isle games, and i would trade good graphics for decent gameplay any day of the week, so i piss on your "graphics" and say this in return "consoles are killing the PC"
  34. Mar 9, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is very rushed sequel composed of dense , uninspired characters and shallow combat.
    Companions are huge step backward compared to Origins - boring , unoriginal with very little dialog to help build their personality.
    World where the game takes place feels empty and full of invisible walls . Most of npcs in Kirkwall cannot be interacted with , you cant even highlight them , they are just a background.
    Overall it feels like Bioware decided to make that sequel very fast and in as inexpensive way as possible , achieving developement cost reduction by simplifying , streamling and removing a lot of elements from the game(for example item description knowns from myriad of other rpgs are gone).
  35. Mar 9, 2011
    I'll preface this mini-review with: I actually like the game. I do, it's mindless. After working long days at my terrible menial job that saps my mental capacities; it's nice to sit down with a mindless game that takes absolutely no thought what-so-ever to get through. But that's a problem. This is a Bioware game. It's set to a higher standard than other games, it's supposed to draw you inI'll preface this mini-review with: I actually like the game. I do, it's mindless. After working long days at my terrible menial job that saps my mental capacities; it's nice to sit down with a mindless game that takes absolutely no thought what-so-ever to get through. But that's a problem. This is a Bioware game. It's set to a higher standard than other games, it's supposed to draw you in with it's story and setting; the characters are supposed to be memorable, witty, devious, intelligent. But none of that really applies here. What we got was a game so vapid, so unintelligent, so... test grouped, that it's now not much more than a mindless Facebook game. Re-used maps everywhere. Lack of personality in it's setting and characters. Plenty of loot, but only one character to equip it on. (Oh that's nice, a 'mage only' item that has stats that my rogue will never be able to equip. Maybe I'll equip it on to one of my mages on my team, oh wait..) Poorly written characters that are voice acted quite well. And what happened to the Qunari? I mean, what? I honestly thought they were Darkspawn. Who even thought that was a good idea? I'm starting to go off the rails, the game itself is not worthy of calling itself a sequel. The people who spent the passed year or two working on this game should not be proud of their work. They were forced to make a game that they I'm sure knew would be a big disappointment for the people who actually enjoyed the first game. Sorry fellas, people aren't trolling, they're genuinely disappointed that you (Bioware) made a subpar game. Borrow this from your friends if you really really want to play it, please do not spend your (or your parents') hard earned money on this. Expand
  36. Mar 9, 2011
    I really liked Dragon Age: Origins but this piece of **** game is not Dragon Age, this is not even an RPG. This is junkfood for spoiled casuals.
    The combat is repetitive and looks ridiculous.
    The characters are shallow.
    The new dialogue-system is weak.
    It's basically Mass Effect with Swords (i like Mass Effect because it's Mass Effect, don't get me wrong).

I am disappointed BioWare.
  37. Mar 9, 2011
    Wow, DA:O is my 4th favorite game of all time and this "Sequel" / pile of dog barf makes me wish that i had completely avoided it. Be warned if you like RPGs, Interesting stories, and engaging combat look elsewhere. However if you like casual button-mashing garbage, and picking 3 of the same "choices", please by all means go out and spend 60 dollars on this aborted fetus of a game. My eyesWow, DA:O is my 4th favorite game of all time and this "Sequel" / pile of dog barf makes me wish that i had completely avoided it. Be warned if you like RPGs, Interesting stories, and engaging combat look elsewhere. However if you like casual button-mashing garbage, and picking 3 of the same "choices", please by all means go out and spend 60 dollars on this aborted fetus of a game. My eyes strained to make sense of the "art direction". This was like staring into Rumor Willis' face while getting beaten with a sock filled with quarters and being castrated. I would rather stare into the sun for 5 hours until my eyeballs dried into tiny protein raisins, take them out of their sockets and insert them into my colon than have to play 10 more seconds of this game. What the hell was Bioware thinking?

I can only hope to god that Laidlaw, and Gaider were just shooting up coke and saying "Hey know what would be really funny! Trolling all of our fans in a sad attempt to gain new ones while ostracizing the original ones!" Because no sane being would ever have let this pile of aborted llama fetuses ever escape from the planes of Peru. Avoid. Avoid at all cost. If you want bioware to actually make good games instead of this crap don't buy it and send them a message that you wont just gobble up this vomit because they slapped their name on it. Don't let all those "Biodrones" tell you otherwise. anyone who pledges loyalty to a company that only cares about profit isn't worth listening to. Again.

Stay away, for your own safety. Please.
  38. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is an insult to gamers. Dragon Age 1 was a decent enough game; far from the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2 that they claimed it would be, but an okay'ish game. This, on the other hand, is a joke. Maybe it's simply the hand of EA, which likely didn't have enough time to influence the development of Dragon Age 1, but there's absolutely no redeeming feature in this game.This game is an insult to gamers. Dragon Age 1 was a decent enough game; far from the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2 that they claimed it would be, but an okay'ish game. This, on the other hand, is a joke. Maybe it's simply the hand of EA, which likely didn't have enough time to influence the development of Dragon Age 1, but there's absolutely no redeeming feature in this game. Anything that needed improvement in DA1 they simply chose to scrap, anything that was already decent they chose to make worse. This is a 101 guide on how to insult your customers and how *not* to make a sequel. Expand
  39. Mar 9, 2011
    This is just your average run of the mill hack n' slash game now. Also combat moves are just so over the top that they are very corny. Not so great...
  40. Mar 9, 2011
    What an utter disappointment. DA 2 feels like god of war. I have trouble even calling it a real role playing game, conversation options are simple and dumbed down, decision making is relatively unimportant, gameplay remains quite linear. The world is small, the story uninspiring, the voice acting is some of Bioware's worst. As far as combat goes, it really feels dumbed down from DA:OWhat an utter disappointment. DA 2 feels like god of war. I have trouble even calling it a real role playing game, conversation options are simple and dumbed down, decision making is relatively unimportant, gameplay remains quite linear. The world is small, the story uninspiring, the voice acting is some of Bioware's worst. As far as combat goes, it really feels dumbed down from DA:O (which already felt dumbed down to me). Animations are overdone and the art direction is absolutely ridiculous. To top it all off, levels are recycled to an absurd degree and the game runs like crap on Nvidia hardware despite not looking especially great. Expand
  41. Mar 10, 2011
    This game is outright terrible. The combat has no depth whatsoever. The dialogues are infantile. As far as the graphics go, DA2 looks as if it was made in 2005.
  42. Mar 11, 2011
    very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad gamevery bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad gamevery bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad gamevery bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad gamevery bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad gamevery bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad gamevery bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad gamevery bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad gamevery bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad gamevery bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad gamevery bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad game very bad g Expand
  43. Mar 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dragon age 2 is an insult to my intellect. This game gives me a good reason to find a new hobby. Instead of a classic tactical story driven old school crpg I found some kind of action game for retards. Big boobed pirates and dancing mages [I think bioware calls it dynamic casting]. Fells like a cheap imitation of god of war. Expand
  44. Mar 8, 2011
    A slap in the face to PC gamers, a slap in the face to all fans of the original Dragon Age: Origins game (regardless of which port you played). I don't understand why they'd go in the opposite direction of the original DAO. I can understand making tweaks here and there, but this sequel has been dumbed down from the original. Less focus on tactics and more on playing like an arcade RPG.A slap in the face to PC gamers, a slap in the face to all fans of the original Dragon Age: Origins game (regardless of which port you played). I don't understand why they'd go in the opposite direction of the original DAO. I can understand making tweaks here and there, but this sequel has been dumbed down from the original. Less focus on tactics and more on playing like an arcade RPG. Why get rid of the overhead camera? Why not allow switching armor for your companions? These changes make absolutely no sense and now it plays like a bad 25 cent arcade game. Here's to Dragon Age 3 (if it's ever made) coming back to it's former glory. Expand
  45. Mar 8, 2011
    Plagued by FFXIII-level linear maps, copy/pasted dungeons, and more dialog and cutscenes than MGS4. A step forward in terms of, well, flashiness, but a step backward in graphics, number of options, cities, and even the number of bugs on launch day seems to be greater than in its predecessor. The voice acting is bad enough to make me want to punch a baby and the dialog is horribly writtenPlagued by FFXIII-level linear maps, copy/pasted dungeons, and more dialog and cutscenes than MGS4. A step forward in terms of, well, flashiness, but a step backward in graphics, number of options, cities, and even the number of bugs on launch day seems to be greater than in its predecessor. The voice acting is bad enough to make me want to punch a baby and the dialog is horribly written with quirks like "I LIKE BIG BOATS, I CANNOT LIE". Seems to take every flaw DA:O had that was generally forgiven for its PC alternative, expanded upon those flaws, and make them the core basis of the game itself. Not worth getting, not even worth pirating. Expand
  46. Mar 9, 2011
    If you enjoyed Dragon Age:Origins, do not buy this game. The horrible dialog, the horrible combat, and the horrible camera angles reek of rushed development and sheer greed on the part of EA. Do not tarnish your memories of DA:O, stay away from this horrible console port.
  47. Mar 8, 2011
    While I was somewhat optimistic even after playing the demo most of that optimism faded when I actually played the game.

Revamped combat does not work too well, stiff character animations are also very off putting. And is it me or did Dragon Age Origins have better character textures? Also what's with the Critic's score, my god. Those are NOT honest reviews, because metascore's user ratings clearly does not reflect that.
  48. Mar 8, 2011
    I never thought the Origins was that great, but after playing DA2, I can safely say the comparison is just.
    This god awful port needs some work. I would recommend waiting to buy this game, until this is on sale for around $10.
    Play DA:O again, or if you're just an RPG fan in general, and don't care for Bioware, just get the Witcher 2
  49. Mar 9, 2011
    Bioware went the wrong way to create a Hack&Slay so Console players would enjoy it! But the PC-players are disappointed.

I pre ordered the game and got it yesterday. And i was shocked after i played it for more than 3 hours. The Story is so lame. And the HD texture Pack is just the try of Bioware to satisfy the pc-player
  50. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is a slap in the face for the PC gaming community. In an attempt to appeal to casual gamers they essentially ruined everything that made the first game enjoyable. I was absolutely shocked when I saw the PC Gamer review a few days before the game released and have to question any "reviewers" credibility when they gave this game such a high review.
  51. Mar 9, 2011
    the only GOOD thing about this game that i was lucky enough to sell it off to someone... bet they will hate me after they star playing this POS..the first game was an AMAZING experience and this one was piece of crap.. no wonder when a bioware dude in an interview says "Button = AWESOME".. only a crappy game can come out of it then
  52. Mar 9, 2011
    Terrible and primitive RPG. Can't even compare it to DA:O not to mention BioWare's older RPG games. It's like fail of Arcania: Gothic 4. Shame on BioWare.
  53. Mar 9, 2011
    When everyone around me was telling me how bad this game was going to be, I couldn't believe them. I defended this game till my last stand. I even replayed all of DA:O including its expansion and some of the DLC. Finally the game was out, and I was pumped, I loaded up my game and imported my save and shortly after an hour I was a bit dissapointed: I was questioning every move that BiowareWhen everyone around me was telling me how bad this game was going to be, I couldn't believe them. I defended this game till my last stand. I even replayed all of DA:O including its expansion and some of the DLC. Finally the game was out, and I was pumped, I loaded up my game and imported my save and shortly after an hour I was a bit dissapointed: I was questioning every move that Bioware made, and there are so many plot holes it hurts, and by the time I beat it (Only took me 10 hours, which, by the way was 40 hours shorter than origins) I was so depressed in how awful the game was.

Most of the characters were interesting, but other characters (Isabella) who comes back as a minor character from origins has a complete make-over and is a walking stereotype of a pirate. She greets you in a standard "Captain" Jack Sparrow fashion and asks you-- a person she has never met before to guard her during a duel. Once you are at this duel you do all of the fighting for her, and once you are done with the fighting? She tells you that she wants to have sexual intercourse with you.

It's this type of crap that I was tired with throughout the whole game, the "mature" theme (M RATED GAMES FOR MATURE GAMERS LIKE MYSELF GUYS!) that didn't even need to be there. The story was uninispired, the voice acting was standard-fare, and the graphics were that of a PS2. Bioware has turned their back on the PC gaming community and are just showing how much of a joke their games can really be.

Oh, and by the way: There are two endings, and the only difference is a about a line of dialogue. Game of the year!
  54. Mar 9, 2011
    One of the most overrated games ever, second to Treyarch's works. You say graphics are good? In my opinion old Dungeon Siege looks better and juicier. Game looks like poor MMORPG. Dialogues are flat, boring, predictable, and trying so hard to be epic, that are actually parody of RPG genre. The whole history of hero's family is like "The Bold and the Beautiful" or "Dallas" with dragons. TheOne of the most overrated games ever, second to Treyarch's works. You say graphics are good? In my opinion old Dungeon Siege looks better and juicier. Game looks like poor MMORPG. Dialogues are flat, boring, predictable, and trying so hard to be epic, that are actually parody of RPG genre. The whole history of hero's family is like "The Bold and the Beautiful" or "Dallas" with dragons. The most funny thing is the masturbation mode for 12 y.o.: dragon-sized boobs everywhere. Hell yeah, I just drowned in epicness, singing the song of the old days. What is good? I really don't know, maybe music here and there? This game is not BAD, it deserves more than 3.0 (user score at the time I'm writing) - I'd say it's something between 5 and 6 (7 if you really love dragons). It still offers adventure and ugly creatures to kill and for sure it's better than Arcania.. But in order to balance these crazy optimistic rates I give it 1. Because I have enough of this stupid trend, that if BioWare made this, or Bethesda made that, or some part of the title says "Call of Duty", than we give 8 or 9 at the very beginning and then we play the game. No, folks, all the glitters is not gold! And Dragon Age 2 don't deserve to be called VERY good game (8/10), fantastic game (9/10) or masterpiece (10/10). This game has nothing more to offer, than dozens of similar RPG games. My score is my protest against such practice mentioned above. (Sorry for bad spelling). Expand
  55. Mar 8, 2011
    Oh how the mighty have fallen. Dragon Age: Origins was basically the last frontier of Classic RPG's out there, and it's follow-up can't be further from that title. Dragon Age 2 is a massively dumbed down version of DA:O, with shallower combat that basically negates the need to pause the game and issue orders, which doesn't help you at all on Nightmare mode. Items are basically useless atOh how the mighty have fallen. Dragon Age: Origins was basically the last frontier of Classic RPG's out there, and it's follow-up can't be further from that title. Dragon Age 2 is a massively dumbed down version of DA:O, with shallower combat that basically negates the need to pause the game and issue orders, which doesn't help you at all on Nightmare mode. Items are basically useless at this point as well, since the only person that can use armor is Hawke. Yeah, you heard me, you can only use the armor you collect during the game on the main character. You can't equip anything except belts, rings and amulets on your companion. The characters themselves are emotionless and don't even begin to compare to the first one. Remember how fun it was to hear Morrigan and Alistair fight about every small little thing? None of the new characters even begin to reach that. They're boring beings with only a superficial motive, and most of the time they won't have an opinion regardless.

There are many more bad things I could say about this game, but I don't feel like spending the time to write them, because BioWare certainly didn't feel like spending time to make this game good.
  56. Mar 9, 2011
    Dragon Fail 2=Epic fail Lol at those who gave an 8 or 9 out of 10.
    This game sucks and is an insult to all the pc gamers out there.It has been dumbed down and consolised.On top of all that the graphics suck ass and it runs like sit even on high end hardware.
    Bioware has failed.
  57. Mar 9, 2011
    this game sux in any way it can. worst console port ever. DA1 was good RPG, not perfect but just good.
    DA2 is just step back: bad graphics, bad gameplay, bad story and incredible high requirements.

if u want play good cRPG just stay away from DA2. it's waste of ur time
  58. Mar 9, 2011
    At the time of writing this, the user score (based on 143 ratings) is *3.6*; the critic score (based on 12 ratings (11 "positive")) is 8.4. You could not have a more embarrassingly obvious exposition of the vapid, dead vacuum-of-integrity that is games journalism. Really, it should be obvious to everyone now that the people who wrote these reviews don't have a single atom of sincerity orAt the time of writing this, the user score (based on 143 ratings) is *3.6*; the critic score (based on 12 ratings (11 "positive")) is 8.4. You could not have a more embarrassingly obvious exposition of the vapid, dead vacuum-of-integrity that is games journalism. Really, it should be obvious to everyone now that the people who wrote these reviews don't have a single atom of sincerity or regard for truth. As far as the game itself is concerned, it's a lobotomized, bordering on the retarded, dumb-down of a game which was itself a lobotomized rehash (of the Baldur's Gate series). You really could not remove more depth from this if you were desperate to. We're at rock-bottom here, and hopefully that means the only way is up. Generic, unremarkable, uninspired, utterly forgettable fast-food for the masses. Nobody who worked on this should be proud. Expand
  59. Mar 9, 2011
    Very disappointed with the direction this game has taken. While the tactical combat from Origins could have used some improvement they chose instead to make it mostly irrelevant. Combat is mostly uninteresting encounters in the same old corridors. The main thing that they seem to be focussing on in the game are the romances which while being somewhat entertaining and distracting fluff inVery disappointed with the direction this game has taken. While the tactical combat from Origins could have used some improvement they chose instead to make it mostly irrelevant. Combat is mostly uninteresting encounters in the same old corridors. The main thing that they seem to be focussing on in the game are the romances which while being somewhat entertaining and distracting fluff in previous Bioware games are not even particularly great in this game making me wonder what they gained from making them a main focus of development. Who asked for this? Expand
  60. Mar 9, 2011
    I really appreciate the detail that is evident in the texture pack on the PC. I've got a hefty desktop, but with settings on the DX11 renderer on very high, my system lags. Apparently it's an issue with nvidia drivers, I installed the beta ones. Still lags. If I can run Bad Company 2 on Max Settings and Pull 45 FPS, there is NO reason this game should stutter. I've got an i7-960, 6 GB ofI really appreciate the detail that is evident in the texture pack on the PC. I've got a hefty desktop, but with settings on the DX11 renderer on very high, my system lags. Apparently it's an issue with nvidia drivers, I installed the beta ones. Still lags. If I can run Bad Company 2 on Max Settings and Pull 45 FPS, there is NO reason this game should stutter. I've got an i7-960, 6 GB of Ram, GTX 470 1280 mb GPU...I can only imagine the problems for people with midrange systems.

I though the art is a standout feature, the lighting is significantly improved.
    Disappointed by the streamlining in general. Not being able to equip my companions with better armor seems counter intuitive at times. Combat seems faster but I don't like watching people explode from dagger hits or arrows. I thought the "300" style finishing moves in DA:O was more realistic and gritty.

Animation is choppy and ridiculous at times. Watching Avalene poke someone with a mace thrust is just silly, running looks choppy. I miss the "sync kills" (dawn of war term for cool finishers). It appears that the number of animations has actually decreased. I find myself wishing that Bioware had created a Return of The King Styled action game or something. It just feels awkward. In Mass Effect shots are based on skill, in addition to the stats for your weapons so it feels like you have an impact. In Dragon Age 2 that's not the case.

Locations are recycled several times. I found myself getting lost because I thought I'd already been in an area, but it was a new quest using the same resources.

My biggest disappointment is in the dialogue and character development. Conversing with Sten was a challenging experience. Now talking to my new companions, I know how they will react based on a picture.

I don't like not knowing what I'm going to say and just having a picture to base it off of. It really doesn't translate intent that well as summarized at times. I don't feel as attached to my characters because I can't chat to them anymore except when the game allows it.

I miss isometric view. I find myself having trouble aiming skills and hopping between characters to get formations for combat because the camera swings wide to compensate for being in a wall. It's frustrating.

The UI isn't as pretty. I miss the portraits with the Mana and Health Bar. Looks Sleeker than the Red and Yellow. Also, found myself bored with the quests. No sense of urgency like the warden had. Just, oh I returned some random trinket. Cool. One Gold. Some neat twists. If you wanted to take something from Mass effect, wouldn't have minded those "action interrupts" where I end up shooting someone in the middle of their speech.

I'm pretty disappointed. I played 20 hours. I know everyone is passionate on both sides. I hope those of you who enjoy the game have a good time. Bioware is an Amazing Studio despite this game and all the crappy DLC you've made. I will buy this game when it's 20 dollars on Steam just becuase I love you guys. And I might even beat it. That being said...

rant:

It feels to me like another "Witch Hunt" that is 60 dollars and with pretty streamlined tweaks to appeal to Angry Birds fans that want to "Hit a button and make something cool happen so they can get back to playing Madden or Call of Duty on their Xbawkz."

Console games for me, are a disposable experience, fun but fleeting. I can enjoy a round with a friend, but when I PC game, it's a big deal for me. It's my only hobby that I can still enjoy in my pathetic life.

I mean to say that I don't feel immersed in the world. I was actually getting bored and having to try and struggle through. I know some games take some time to warm up, (here's looking at you, KOTOR 2) and then get (mostly) good. So far 20 hours and I'm glad I can take this back tommorow and get a refund.

/rant

Mount and Blade was a lot more fun combat wise and there was no story, made by a small dev team. Would have liked either more animations or direct hack and slash. I really don't like action games though.

Except Crash Bandicoot. That game was Amazing. Like, all of them. Maybe you should make DA3 like Crash Bandicoot, Wrath of Cortex. I feel let down overall.
  61. Mar 9, 2011
    Shocking. The dumbed-down sequel to a legendary game, obviously catering to the masses of xbox jocks and stupid girls. A big sloppy profitable dump on anybody who has every praised Bioware for making innovative and beautiful intelligent games for people who appreciate them, and in years to come what will be viewed as the watershed moment that all major game releases looked more and moreShocking. The dumbed-down sequel to a legendary game, obviously catering to the masses of xbox jocks and stupid girls. A big sloppy profitable dump on anybody who has every praised Bioware for making innovative and beautiful intelligent games for people who appreciate them, and in years to come what will be viewed as the watershed moment that all major game releases looked more and more generic, in the same way that pop chart music all sounds the same. Welcome to consoleville. Expand
  62. Mar 8, 2011
    I am extremely disappointed by Dragon Age 2 as a RPG game style, but if you can cast away the nostalgia of Baldur's gate, you'll find a good game nevertheless. Too bad this series have to continue like that, since the previous system was so much better... Why did they want to butcher the combat system like that ? They should have tried to improve it, not drastically change it ! On hardI am extremely disappointed by Dragon Age 2 as a RPG game style, but if you can cast away the nostalgia of Baldur's gate, you'll find a good game nevertheless. Too bad this series have to continue like that, since the previous system was so much better... Why did they want to butcher the combat system like that ? They should have tried to improve it, not drastically change it ! On hard difficulty, it feels like a hack'n slash ! But sadly, this is how developers tend to do their games... And sadly, it works beautifully. I won't say this game is stupidly bad, it's not. It's a good game, but far from being a real sequel to one of the best RPG of these last years, The Witcher included. I guess we'll have to wait for The Witcher 2. Expand
  63. Mar 9, 2011
    I couldn't believe it when playing the demo. EVERY aspect of the game is bad : visuals ( characters and places - I mean corridors, sorry - ), dialogs, camera management, combats, dumb down from DAO, and so on....
    It's clear now that Bioware does not want to be involved with RPGs anymore. And if I want to play an action game, I buy a good one, Castlevania or gods of war, not that thing.
  64. Mar 9, 2011
    Don't play this on the PC or atleast get an xbox controller, this graphics/gameplay is only good for consoles. Also, Play dragon age 2 first before playing DAO so your standard bar is not set to high before playing DA2.
  65. Aug 15, 2011
    Pros: More fluid combat, less boring treks through long dungeons, great story, half your characters are interesting, liked ME2 style of missions, nice graphics

Cons: Horrible horrible ending, at the end of the game you feel like you didn't win and you accomplished nothing, can't romance a strong moral character (ie: Aveline, Isabella is slutty even if she somewhat reforms when you romance and Merrill is an insecure and irritating idiot blood mage like almost every mage in the game), repetitive dungeon city environments (having to run through same cities, dungeons and outdoor areas over and over is just lazy design), half of your party characters absolutely suck balls to the point I didn't do any of their quests or want them in my party.

Overall a 1 because the cons are so overpoweringly strong compared to the pros, specially the worst ending of a game I've seen in years where nothing is accomplished and lots of loose ends are left.
  66. Mar 10, 2011
    What a Disappointment.!
    Why did they dumb down the game like that?!
    There is not any fun in the combats anymore! The camera mechanics are extremely frustrating. There is not enough dezoom to think any tactical choice. You can't even move the camera around. The combats are way too fast paced and look completely ridiculous. Since you pass most of your time in combat, it's hugely
    What a Disappointment.!
    Why did they dumb down the game like that?!

There is not any fun in the combats anymore!
    The camera mechanics are extremely frustrating. There is not enough dezoom to think any tactical choice. You can't even move the camera around. The combats are way too fast paced and look completely ridiculous. Since you pass most of your time in combat, it's hugely unsatisfying.

It feels super scripted with cinematic every two seconds. Loading times every two seconds.

I'm really sad for bioware! They are loosing a lot of credibility with this joke of a game.
    It's an insult to rpg players. It has lost almost all the elements that gave some interest to the first opus. And it was already pretty dumbed down compared to Baldur's Gate.

Save your money!
  67. Mar 9, 2011
    I have no way to relay my complete an utter disappointment in this game. All i can say is that the combat is ruined by making it look like a bad action movie. And the game is overly simplified.

Shame on you bioware for ruining what was to be the best series of games
  68. Mar 9, 2011
    Boring button-mashing combat, okey story, dull dialogues, lame dialogue options.

Overall, should not be classified as an RPG. Way too linear and laughable so-called "romance".
  69. Mar 9, 2011
    DA2 has to be the saddest excuse for either an action game or a roleplaying game, or a combination of the two. The glitches that result from trying to import the save file from Origins alone make it clear that Bioware wasn't even trying with this one. Just rush out a sequel as quickly as possible to milk your fans for all they're worth. Really pathetic. The gameplay is horrible, theDA2 has to be the saddest excuse for either an action game or a roleplaying game, or a combination of the two. The glitches that result from trying to import the save file from Origins alone make it clear that Bioware wasn't even trying with this one. Just rush out a sequel as quickly as possible to milk your fans for all they're worth. Really pathetic. The gameplay is horrible, the graphics are from 2 generations ago at best, and the story is completely forgettable garbage. They even had the gall to end on a cliffhanger!!!! Probably just to sell more DLC that will hopefully end the story properly. Disgusting, Bioware. You've lost a customer. Expand
  70. Mar 9, 2011
    Combat = Derped
    Interface = Derped
    Graphics = Derped
    Writing = Fail

Banal, Boring, "Streamlined", Popamole ****

Avoid, whatever the cost.

Do not enable Bioware in their derpification of the genre.
  71. Mar 9, 2011
    A major step back from the DA:O and Awakening. As I loved DA:O and all the addons, now I'm really disappointed. It's not even RPG, it's now just hack&slash console game - and as for a console game it might be pretty decent, but as for PC gameplay - it sucks.
  72. Mar 8, 2011
    The single worst gaming experience of my life. The demo was, bar none, the most horrid thing I've ever been through.
    Demo's are supposed to make you WANT to buy a game, right? Put the best foot forward and all that? DA2 made me want to chop my feet off so that I'd be forced to lay in bed for the rest of my life forced to look at nothing but my walls and ceiling as such would have been a fate a million times better than ever seeing the like of BioWare's latest offering.
  73. Mar 8, 2011
    Instead of a zero, I should be able to give this game a negative number - somewhere around -7, because I'm comparing it to Dragon Age: Origins. Dragon Age II can be summarized easily in comparison to its predecessor:

1. Simplified combat mechanics that equate to hack-and-slash via button mashing. This makes the core gameplay tedious and boring. 2. More linear gameplay choices. You can

2. More linear gameplay choices. You can experience this from the start of the game, where it's clear exactly how you will get to Kirkwall, what you will do to get in, etc.
    3. Less choice in general. Fewer starting character options (human or human?) and no varried starting stories etc.
    4. A UI failure. It's control and layout is excessively modal. Everything you want to do (like manage inventory, attributes, skills requires more UI clicks and more screens.
    5. Graphics that require more video card pixel pushing but offer poorer views compared to Dragon Age One. This might have been easier on the Artists, but it certainly takes away from the atmosphere.
    6. Undirected, non-epic, boring story.
    7. Characters are less memorable.

If you liked Dragon Age: Origins, there is practically no correlation between that and liking this. The games are barely second cousins. In summary - Bioware has really jumped the shark with this one!
  74. Mar 9, 2011
    I tried to like DA2, but I cant. This console centric garbage isnt worth the effort. Yes it looks better, the combat is smoother, and im sure the story is good (Bioware always excels here), but come on removed customisation, NPC interactions, put big bloody flag on the next objective, quests are almost all self fulfilling. Its like an RPG made for 6 year olds. Bioware peaked with 2 epicI tried to like DA2, but I cant. This console centric garbage isnt worth the effort. Yes it looks better, the combat is smoother, and im sure the story is good (Bioware always excels here), but come on removed customisation, NPC interactions, put big bloody flag on the next objective, quests are almost all self fulfilling. Its like an RPG made for 6 year olds. Bioware peaked with 2 epic games. Baldurs Gate II, and KoTOR. Both epic, complex and requiring intellect to play. DA2 breadcrumbs the entire game... garbage, utter garbage.

After ME2 I thought Bioware would have learned, but it seems the EA dragon has once again put down the "APPEAL TO THE MASSES!!!!" mantra and ensured that a rich, deep and complex title wont get made by any dev under its umbrella of mediocrity.

I'm sure there will be cries of "PC Elitist" or some such, but when the muelling mob is appeased by sunstandard and lesser entries from a previously high sepc developer its really hard not feel better than them.

Just another example of the big publishers slowly eroding away the quality to lower the barriers so Joe Casual wont get lost.

Well Bioware I WAS a loyal fan. BG 1 and 2 + exp. KoTOR, NWN, DA:O, ME1, and even Jade Empire were epic and enjoyable RPGs worthy of praise and what your reputation was built on. ME2 while an epic tale was the first obvious step down the path to Casual land. Strip out RPG mechanics, focus on twitch/non RPG gameplay and profit.

I hope EA rides Bioware into the ground, as I have lost all respect for the company.
  75. Mar 8, 2011
    Its really sad whats happened to Bioware. They went from making deep and enjoyable games to producing watered down garbage that seems utterly amateur. They went from DA:O, which had terrible graphics, bland skill sets and items, and boring combat mechanics, straight into some kind of button mashing monstrosity where the best tactical challenge they can create is making monsters do x timesIts really sad whats happened to Bioware. They went from making deep and enjoyable games to producing watered down garbage that seems utterly amateur. They went from DA:O, which had terrible graphics, bland skill sets and items, and boring combat mechanics, straight into some kind of button mashing monstrosity where the best tactical challenge they can create is making monsters do x times normal damage. Whats sad is it can't all be blamed on EA's acquisition, Dead Space 2 was a beautiful game. I think the days of people who actually cared to make good RPGs is gone. Expand
  76. Mar 8, 2011
    This is the worst steaming pile of poop i have ever played. I am not joking. This second is not even comparable to DA1. And to top it off they paid reviewers and are making fake reviews for it on metacritic. Wow... This is sad and probably the worst sequel i have ever played. If you are considering buying this dont, its a total step backwords in every way. It is better to just buy threeThis is the worst steaming pile of poop i have ever played. I am not joking. This second is not even comparable to DA1. And to top it off they paid reviewers and are making fake reviews for it on metacritic. Wow... This is sad and probably the worst sequel i have ever played. If you are considering buying this dont, its a total step backwords in every way. It is better to just buy three decent games off steam for a regular price POS, Its stupid they sell for as much as they do as there arent even packaging costs or anything. Worst game i have played in a while Expand
  77. Mar 9, 2011
    Wow, can you say dumbed down? This game is terrible. From the terrible Playstation 2 quality graphics to the ridiculous button mashing gameplay that seems to be design more for a mentally challenged fratboy than any serious role playing games fan. There are no redeeming qualities to this abomination. The original Dragon Age was no masterpiece of narrative, but at least it's story wasWow, can you say dumbed down? This game is terrible. From the terrible Playstation 2 quality graphics to the ridiculous button mashing gameplay that seems to be design more for a mentally challenged fratboy than any serious role playing games fan. There are no redeeming qualities to this abomination. The original Dragon Age was no masterpiece of narrative, but at least it's story was competent. Dragon Age 2 on the other hand is the epiphany of terrible story telling. But not only has Bioware ruined this one game with their cliched and moronic revelations, they have destroyed everything that was even remotely interesting from the Dragon Age Universe. In truth, Dragon Age 2 deserves a score of -10/10, because not only is the game terrible, but it has also destroy what was once one of the best Western role playing franchises ever created. Expand
  78. Mar 9, 2011
    I rarely play ports on PC since they're generally always garbage, but Bioware has a decent pedigree so I chose not to follow my guts instinct and I bought this on PC.

This may have been the worst mistake I have ever made. The instant that I read I actually had to download a hq texture pack from the developers themselves said it all. The utter contempt that they have shown by releasing this is actually crazy. Bioware is smart that they catered to the forever lonely crowd by making DA2 into middle ages mass effect with commander hawke and his harem. I don't think this would have ever selled without the prospect of middle age fat balding men and hambeast whales modding the game for their bishonen romance dreams. Oh wait, this game didn't ship with a toolkit. Good thin they made every character bisexual then. I can't wait until they release the marriage dlc so I can finally take isabelle on the honey moon she really deserves.
  79. Mar 9, 2011
    My God this is SO awful that i can't even describe it. Baldur's Gate they say? HAH!!! Bioware is drowning deeper every time. Few years will pass and they gonna make us just stand at the center of the world, killing waves of monsters and sometimes talking bullsh*t with party members. If you care for your artistic taste DO NOT buy it. Greatest disappointment of the year.
  80. Mar 9, 2011
    Terrible graphics, terrible dialogue, forgettable music, bland characters, linear gameworld, uninteresting locations, terrible button-mashing gameplay. Overall: A very very bad game that you should avoid
  81. Mar 9, 2011
    Terrible. This is slasher and it is BAD slasher. cRPG? It is bad joke. This production technically is terrible too - probably worst port for PC in last years. It is worse then latest NFS HP - I dont know how it is possible but it is true. This "game" is stupid and boring like Mass Effect. Remember: absolutely awful and terrible production.

BTW: Dragon Age 1 was a very good game, real

BTW: Dragon Age 1 was a very good game, real modern&classic cRPG but, again, unpolished, no patched, without support. Thank You EA and never again with my money.
  82. Mar 9, 2011
    Dragon Age II will be recorded as one of the worst blunders in video game history. Bioware somehow managed to take a promising series, and do a Tomb Raider with it. The game visually looks like a mod for Knights of the Old Republic, if that mod were to lower all the games textures and was inspired by minecraft.

The writing in this game is exactly what you'd expect an autistic 12 year old

The writing in this game is exactly what you'd expect an autistic 12 year old farm hand. Gone are the "grey" moral areas, and choices that affect the story. Instead, a dialogue wheel now lets you choose between 3 options, Sissy school girl, comedic relief in b-movie, and complete jerkwad. With such rivieting dialogue options as "Hey, I wunna be a dragon too!" and "Boy, I'm hungry", it's hard not to believe that Bioware is doing a psychological experiment to see how much punishment masochistic fans will put up with.

Most of the game takes place in the confines of a single "city". I say "city" loosely, because it is actually nothing more than a collection of buildings, devoid of life. All areas outside of the city and bland and repetitive. Let me be clear on this: EVERY SINGLE OUTDOOR AREA outside of the city consists of a rock wall on one side of the map, and a large, lifeless, poorly textured vista on the other. I've seen 2 year olds that can color better than the job Bioware did with this vista. Dungeons are frequently repeated. Yes, you heard that right, the exact same cave is used over and over and over again.

You can no longer equip armor to companions, and the new companions are dull and lifeless. Every voice actor in the game sounds the exact same, and they all sound utterly bored with their jobs.

Of course, I needed even comment on the combat to anyone who has played the demo. Bioware decided to strip out all tactical and RPG elements, and instead turn the game into a poor man's Dynasty warriors, complete with waves of spawning powder rangers running at you, while you perform the same over the top animations over and over carrying massive JRPG styled swords.

I award this game no points, and may God have mercy on it's soul.
  83. Mar 9, 2011
    What else is there to say? This isn't an RPG, this is an Action title with a 'fantasy-skin' completely dumbed-down and Consoltized...Extremely disappointing. Bioware has made a lot of great titles in the past and used to be the premier RPG studio out there. Not any longer. Sure, they'll still make great games (Mass Effect 3), but not true, traditional RPGs any more.

Beyond that, even

Beyond that, even if the game were decent - the graphic performance on High-End nVidia hardware is attrocious and the graphics, while better than DA: Orgins are poor. Plus, on the merits of the game itself, this isn't truely a sequel...more like a sidequest....Save your money and time, wait for the Witcher 2 or Skyrim.
  84. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is a clera example on how a company maximizes profits using a brand name, lot of resouces to advertising and marketing (INCLUDING PROFESSIONAL REVIEWERS... SHAME ON YOU) and an awful product.
    This "Sonic-like" game doesn't deserve a review, this game doesn't deserve nothing. Stay away, save your money, it's the best thing you can do.
  85. Mar 9, 2011
    Coming from someone who has played and loved cRPGs for his entire life, I have to say that this game is just plain mediocre, and comes as an insult to all hardcore RPG fans. When Dragon Age: Origins came out, Bioware claimed it would be the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. I know quite a few people who normally pirate their video games, who instead chose to buy that game in order toComing from someone who has played and loved cRPGs for his entire life, I have to say that this game is just plain mediocre, and comes as an insult to all hardcore RPG fans. When Dragon Age: Origins came out, Bioware claimed it would be the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. I know quite a few people who normally pirate their video games, who instead chose to buy that game in order to support Bioware's return to the cRPG market. Dragon Age: Origins may not have been perfect, but it still seemed like it could be a sign of things to come- Bioware finally giving a new series to the very specific audience that brought Bioware such success in the first place. With DA2, however, Bioware practically spat in the face of those fans, in favor of a quick cash-out. Everything about this game is either dumbed-down for the lowest common denominator, or horribly broken. The story and dialog is simply horrid; rather than offer the choices and consequences one expects from a good cRPG, Bioware chose to implement the dialog wheel from Mass Effect. Any role-playing aspect is utterly demolished, as the character is forced into one of three choices in every conversation, which essentially boil down to "Generic Goody Two-Shoes," "Evil Bastard Just for the Sake of it," and "Snarky Bastard." Furthermore, the options displayed on the dialog wheel are often completely different from what the character actually says. Some of the dialog options are just laughably bad, too: "I Want to be a Dragon"? Seriously, Bioware? Combat is extremely easy, and even on Nightmare difficulty, the average cRPG fan will simply not be challenged at all. Graphics, though by no means the most important part of any game, still ought to factor into the score, as they show just how little Bioware cares about making a good PC game. The graphics are just plain horrible- it honestly looks as though the game is from 2004-5. In order to increase the graphical quality of the game, one must download a high-resolution texture pack from Bioware's website. The fact that this wasn't even included on the disc on release reveals Bioware's complete lack of respect for the PC platform. Another large gripe I have with the game is the DLC- Bioware does it precisely in the manner one should NOT do DLC. DLC is supposed to be extra content that had to be cut from the game because it couldn't be completed in time for release. With Bioware, however, they practically cut chunks of the game out, then decided to sell it back to the player. Some of the DLC is actually located ON the game disc. In conclusion, if you have any respect or love for the game industry, classic cRPGs, or the company Bioware once was, I highly suggest that you avoid buying Dragon Age 2, or any other new Bioware games, for that matter.â Expand
  86. Mar 9, 2011
    I'm not sure why they even released this for the PC. Almost everything in the game was dumbed down to give a better experience for consoles. Why not go the extra mile and just not release it for PC? Bioware's games have always been extraordinary, but I can't in good faith give this higher than a two. They need to understand that you can't make games like this just because of yourI'm not sure why they even released this for the PC. Almost everything in the game was dumbed down to give a better experience for consoles. Why not go the extra mile and just not release it for PC? Bioware's games have always been extraordinary, but I can't in good faith give this higher than a two. They need to understand that you can't make games like this just because of your reputation. Are you even trying, Bioware? Expand
  87. Mar 9, 2011
    What have they done to my beloved Dragon Age? Shoddy performance on Nvidia and the game feels very rushed and simplified. I won't be pre-ordering the next one!
  88. Mar 8, 2011
    Pretty much everything there is to be said has been.

The game is bad, it is every obviously a console port. It is a really, really, porty port. Additionally Bioware's "whenever you push a button something awesome should happen" just makes the entire game very bland.
  89. Mar 8, 2011
    really dont like what bioware and EA have done to this game i really liked the first game but this one doesnt fill like an RPG to me it feels more like a action game.I got very bored very quickly of the combat in DA2 i dont like the dialogue wheel it is fine in a game like Mass Effect but not in a RPG its just stupid.Also why cant you change your teams armour all rpg in know have thatreally dont like what bioware and EA have done to this game i really liked the first game but this one doesnt fill like an RPG to me it feels more like a action game.I got very bored very quickly of the combat in DA2 i dont like the dialogue wheel it is fine in a game like Mass Effect but not in a RPG its just stupid.Also why cant you change your teams armour all rpg in know have that option sorry but this game is poor Expand
  90. Mar 8, 2011
    It's amazing how you somehow succeeded in making this worse than 1 in every way. Was it really that hard to not change everything and just address the criticism that the first game got and go from there? It's just so sad to see a company you've loved for years turn to ****
  91. Mar 8, 2011
    For all those nay-sayers, smooth talkers and ESPECIALLY PR personnel at Bioware...you've severely disappointed the fans of Dragon Age: ORIGINS. To stray so incredibly far from your roots by overly simplifying the core mechanics of the game stinks of consolization - the bane of many serious, entertaining pc games to date. The nerve with which their PR personnel promised that it wouldn'tFor all those nay-sayers, smooth talkers and ESPECIALLY PR personnel at Bioware...you've severely disappointed the fans of Dragon Age: ORIGINS. To stray so incredibly far from your roots by overly simplifying the core mechanics of the game stinks of consolization - the bane of many serious, entertaining pc games to date. The nerve with which their PR personnel promised that it wouldn't be simplified and would in fact be a deeper experience is complete and utter **** This was a rushed product backed by (necessary) hype based on the original game's success, because if they'd shown the game exactly as it could be played, it would definitely have lost sales. I preordered this game WITH the understanding that it'd be Dragon Age 2 NOT Dragon Effect: Consolization 101...I've seen a fair share of games that have gone down the gutter that way and sad as i am to say down that road also has Dragon Age 2 gone. The Mass "effect" should have stayed with it's progenitor as it's fine as it is unless they decide to Dragon Agify Mass Effect 3. Hold that thought...that might actually make a good game. Bioware do it! PS. I don't even know whether I'm being sarcastic or not... Expand
  92. Mar 9, 2011
    I could not say it better than the many reviews here. I expected DA2 to build on DA1; instead it removes and dumbs down many of the features of the original. I also do NOT want publishers throwing day 1 DLC at us. It its ready for day 1 then include it in the game for free - we paid premium cash for this game and milking us at release for more money is shameful.
  93. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is just a disgrace to the name Dragon Age and even more so to the name Bioware. Just stay away from this misery, it represents everything that goes wrong right now in the gaming industry. Dont buy Dragon Age 2, thank you!
  94. Mar 9, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of Dragon Age: Origins, easily clocked over 100hours in to the game and really enjoyed it over all. Now about Dragon Age 2.

Graphics: They suck I mean they really suck after what I saw in Dragon age Origins they are really bad, I had everything maxed out on my i7@4.0 two GTX580 and 8gig of ram, they look like something from Playstation 2 era and its 2011, not to mention the frame rates dont go past 25 and sometimes they drop to 1fps for god knows what reason, the only thing that fixes it is alt+tabing.

Gameplay: No matter how much better Origins is the only thing they improved in this is the Combat, yes it faster and better, obviously much more oriented towards console peasants. While playing origins when you use to become General of an army so to say and maxed out with best items you just wanted to rape **** left and right like God of War that you are, nonetheless other than combat improve men't nothing else deserves mentioning the game it self feels rushed the interaction wheel haves its ups and downs the perfect combo would be if you could chose texts like in origins and your character would talk would be pretty good that you could chose voice for him such as suave or mystic, but then again we will never see something like this from console port, the game feels like its 70-80% -/+ complete like it unfinished but then again they did what they did for console people.
    I give this game 3/10- Because its a console port, feels like rushed and unfinished game, ****ty graphics and ****ty companions. Deal with it. Gonna go play Origins.
  95. Mar 9, 2011
    Biggest disappointment of the year. From the Mass Effect copy pasted dialogue wheel, to the terrible graphics regardless if the settings are set on the highest possible settings. Combat that has devolved into nothing but a button mash festival irregardless of the difficulty settings. Dragon Age 2 was an experiment, a failed one at that. Bioware was clearly testing to see if Mass Effect's 2Biggest disappointment of the year. From the Mass Effect copy pasted dialogue wheel, to the terrible graphics regardless if the settings are set on the highest possible settings. Combat that has devolved into nothing but a button mash festival irregardless of the difficulty settings. Dragon Age 2 was an experiment, a failed one at that. Bioware was clearly testing to see if Mass Effect's 2 lazy, casual formulaic gameplay style would translate well into the Dragon Age universe. ME2 has its fans amongst sad lonely people with no lives and Gears of War fanboys. Sadly Dragon Age fans aren't that stupid. Though we were stupid enough to purchase Dragon Age 2. Expand
  96. Mar 9, 2011
    Bioware has become very good at making shoddy casual rpgs, much to the disdain of it's fanbase, this is an unworthy successor to dragon age origins no improvements to graphics and gameplay was added, I felt physically ill after playing this game.
  97. Mar 9, 2011
    Bioware has turned into money hungry idiots like activision.
    Bioware has turned into money hungry idiots like activision.
    They are just blowing games out of their asses now and expecting to get praised for it. This game was atrocious. It's like playing dynasty warriors with an even worse story. If you are thinking of picking this up for any reason, stop right there. Dont give this company the satisfaction of thinking they made something good. They seem to have spent no time in this at all, and need to stop.
  98. Mar 9, 2011
    What can i say? This game fails on every aspect you can imagine. From promised DX11 graphics we went to watered down character models and a bland city which is the main course of the game. This game suffers from acute and extreme consolitis. Bad graphics, way to simple gameplay (whack a mole) and the interface is completely tailored for consoles! Do NOT believe any "official" reviewWhat can i say? This game fails on every aspect you can imagine. From promised DX11 graphics we went to watered down character models and a bland city which is the main course of the game. This game suffers from acute and extreme consolitis. Bad graphics, way to simple gameplay (whack a mole) and the interface is completely tailored for consoles! Do NOT believe any "official" review sources, they get paid big money by EA to give it a 8 or 9!

The biggest insult of them all is the load of DLC there is pre-installed on your disc, but you cant acces it without paying or doing stupid facebook games.

Steer clear of this game and any future BioWare games, vote with your wallet!
  99. Mar 9, 2011
    This is as much an RPG as Sesame Street is PG rated. The low score therefore does not just concern the product, but the way it is advertised: as catering to the RPG crowd. It does not, yet it has deliberately been marketed that way, and even been branded as such.

If BioWare/Electronic Arts had wanted to be honest, they would not have published this game as part of the Dragon Age franchise, a franchise that was named the 'spiritual successor' of Baldur's Gate. Instead, they could have branded it as 'Hawke's Adventures', or God knows what, and I would not have felt the need to be this straightforward with my criticism. For then they would have been honest. Selling this as a Dragon Age game is tantamount to fraud: it is dishonest advertising and BioWare deserve all the criticism that is currently being hurled towards them.

Dragon Age 2 may be a good game, but it is a terrible RPG and that is how it is being marketed. Therefore, I have to judge it that way. It gets one point for having a story that courageously avoids the 'big bad' RPG trope and frankly that's being generous, as normally frauds shouldn't get away with any points.
  100. Mar 9, 2011
    I registered an account here on metacritic just to say that this game is one of the worst crpg attempts I have tried for a long time. It is a huge step backward from the DAO. Keep in mind, that the DAO was in development for 6 years and DA:2 for only 2 years. As effect we get primitive consol hack and slash with linear storyline, repetitive scenery and total lack of rpgness. Only payedI registered an account here on metacritic just to say that this game is one of the worst crpg attempts I have tried for a long time. It is a huge step backward from the DAO. Keep in mind, that the DAO was in development for 6 years and DA:2 for only 2 years. As effect we get primitive consol hack and slash with linear storyline, repetitive scenery and total lack of rpgness. Only payed reviews seems to like it and it really shows how honest they are in they reviews. One would have to pay me to play this garbage. Expand

1. Apr 18, 2011