7.8

1. Nov 18, 2011
    it more like a direct sequel than DLC. the skills and specializations have increased in amount and there is so much to do that one could get sucked in all over again. definitely worth the money and then some.
  2. Mar 20, 2012
    Dragon Age: Origins: Awakening is great for an expansion. It provides many hours of additional content, but takes away some of the things I liked about Dragon Age: Origins. You can no longer talk to your companions whenever you want, and they aren't quite as interesting, but still it's a nice expansion pack, and definitely worth your money if you're a fan of the original game.
  3. Mar 11, 2011
    A good honest to God Expansion! None of that small DLC stuff. The expanded story was a great addition along with the new specializations and talents/spells. The one thing that hurt it was that DLC obtained during from Origins did not transfer. My first character was wearing the Blood Dragon Armor and he was naked when he first appeared on the screen with a two-handed sword on his back.A good honest to God Expansion! None of that small DLC stuff. The expanded story was a great addition along with the new specializations and talents/spells. The one thing that hurt it was that DLC obtained during from Origins did not transfer. My first character was wearing the Blood Dragon Armor and he was naked when he first appeared on the screen with a two-handed sword on his back. I seem to remember jewelry was still there, I think. Pretty much made wearing DLC armor pointless to the final fight. Expand
  4. Jun 9, 2012
    Its definately not bad. It just lacks some of what made Dragon Age Origins great. Its characters are pretty good (especially Justice, Nathaniel, and Anders). However, the lack of romances and the okay plot hold it back a bit. Now that you can get it for like 12 dollars at gamestop, you might as well go buy it.
  5. GregS
    Mar 17, 2010
    An old school expansion pack that expands the story, but is willing to ignore some massive decisions you may have made in the first game so that it can tell it's own story. This can be VERY annoying for a while. That said, it's story is still a good one, your decisions have fairly legit consequences, and the game mechanics remain the same with new skills added as you lvl up as An old school expansion pack that expands the story, but is willing to ignore some massive decisions you may have made in the first game so that it can tell it's own story. This can be VERY annoying for a while. That said, it's story is still a good one, your decisions have fairly legit consequences, and the game mechanics remain the same with new skills added as you lvl up as high as the mid or early 30's (I think I reached 33). Ultimately, you'll be disappointed if you're expecting choices to carry over like they did with Mass Effect 1 & 2. However, if you finished the original there's no reason not to pick this one up, as it adds about 20 hours of Dragon Age goodness that despite its flaws, really shouldn't be missed. Expand
  6. Feb 17, 2011
    More content, i enjoyed to play it, as i'm in love for DAO
    But i was a little bit sad that the DAO-Awakening was so short.
    This is my only deception.
    Everything else is good to play !
  7. Mar 17, 2011
    Just finished it after taking a break from the main game and playing Mass Effect 2. I really enjoyed it but I'm knocking it down a couple of points for some performance issues and occasional glitches. That said in some ways I enjoyed it more than the original game, it's more tight, focused, keeps moving you forward and never leaves you idle. The new abilities such as two-handed are greatJust finished it after taking a break from the main game and playing Mass Effect 2. I really enjoyed it but I'm knocking it down a couple of points for some performance issues and occasional glitches. That said in some ways I enjoyed it more than the original game, it's more tight, focused, keeps moving you forward and never leaves you idle. The new abilities such as two-handed are great and add freshness to battles. I would also concur with what some others have written here, the locations are arguably more interesting than the main game. It's as if the level designers got very little time to contribute to the original game, but now with the engine in place they could flex their muscles. Sure it's not the prettiest game out there, but the areas are varied and have a better sense of height compared to the relative flatness of the first game.

The new characters are pretty interesting. Sure no one is as interesting as Morrigan but interesting none the less. It's true that Oghren is played even more for laughs this time which made him one-dimensional. A quest that involves some back-story on him feels out of place given he seems to be on-board for little more than one-liners. That said, he was one of my go-to companions on the original quest so I was happy to have him back and new abilities meant that there was more I could do with him in battle.

More of the same basically in the hour-by-hour game-play. Took me a little over 15 hours and I probably had about three hours of side quests outstanding. The ending feels a little force-fit. Some of the boss battles along the way are more engaging but there you go. The final boss of both DA:O and Mass Effects 1 and 2 were not that great either. Someone at Bioware needs to go talk to the folks at Retro Studios (Metroid Prime) - now those guys know boss battles.

A solid 8. If you enjoyed the first game, definitely pick it up. Now I'm fee to see what all this debacle over Dragon Age 2 is all about. A shame that I won't be able to import my character after investing all this time in him.
  8. May 21, 2011
    The main game was great, BUT it still felt to much like a generic fantasy epic... you know: The Lord of the Rings but different... Awakenings on the other hand deals with the aftermath of Origins and changes things a little bit... there is no great journey to undertake... there is a land you have to govern... and although very simplistic done... it is very engaging! The quests are veryThe main game was great, BUT it still felt to much like a generic fantasy epic... you know: The Lord of the Rings but different... Awakenings on the other hand deals with the aftermath of Origins and changes things a little bit... there is no great journey to undertake... there is a land you have to govern... and although very simplistic done... it is very engaging! The quests are very nice... the overall story is in my opinion the best Dragon Age story to date (yes, I am looking at you Dragon Age 2!) but no romances... but I did not miss them!

"Dragon Age: Awakenings" is simply THE BEST Dragon Age! It took what was good in Origins, added a more interesting storyline, with the option to actually play as a ruler and make a rulers decisions!
  9. Jun 24, 2011
    A slightly rushed-feeling expansion pack to Dragon Age: Origins, Awakenings is still definitely worth a play, although it's a shame that the only NPC they keep from Origins is Oghren, who is funny but rather shallow. Awakenings keeps the feel of the main game and its plot is an interesting twist on Origins'. Includes a seriously cool encounter with a Spirit Dragon. Get the Golems andA slightly rushed-feeling expansion pack to Dragon Age: Origins, Awakenings is still definitely worth a play, although it's a shame that the only NPC they keep from Origins is Oghren, who is funny but rather shallow. Awakenings keeps the feel of the main game and its plot is an interesting twist on Origins'. Includes a seriously cool encounter with a Spirit Dragon. Get the Golems and Witch DLCs as well -- and play after the expansion proper, in that order. ;) Expand
  10. Oct 30, 2011
    I felt like I completed the expansion a little to easily but the story line was once again interesting and kept me involved. Something overall seems lacking but it may be just because Origins was so well done.
  11. JoshT
    Mar 22, 2010
    I've played 4 days of DAO Awakening so far (about 25 hours). I enjoyed the original DAO (dragon age origins) and I'm loving this expansion just as much. The game entails a lot of good humor and ironies throughout the story line just as in the original DAO. All the detail that is put into the game is remarkable. If you loved DAO, you will love DAO Awakening. The new class I've played 4 days of DAO Awakening so far (about 25 hours). I enjoyed the original DAO (dragon age origins) and I'm loving this expansion just as much. The game entails a lot of good humor and ironies throughout the story line just as in the original DAO. All the detail that is put into the game is remarkable. If you loved DAO, you will love DAO Awakening. The new class abilities are pretty interesting too and allow you to have more buttons to press during combat. I'll make another review when i finish the game. Good so far though. Expand
  12. Mar 11, 2011
    This can, and in my case did, act as a standalone game. I sunk about 25 hours into beating the game 1 time which is pretty respectable for an expansion. The fact that I had about 9 sidequests left undone at the end adds another 6 hours to the game at least.

The characters are better than in DA:O, as is the dialogue, and overall story. My biggest problem with DA:O was how atrociously slow the game was at the start, whereas Awakening starts you off at level 18. That leaves quite a lot of skills and talents to map out a character.
  13. Mar 25, 2011
    Honestly I would give Awakening a 9 because It's much shorter than Origins, but as an Expansion Pack, It raises the standards. I very much liked the story. It brings you "Behind the Scenes" of Origins and explains even more about the Blight. The characters are again well-developed. If i compare the areas to Dragon Age 2, where It's not-stop repeating, every, and I mean EVERY area is usedHonestly I would give Awakening a 9 because It's much shorter than Origins, but as an Expansion Pack, It raises the standards. I very much liked the story. It brings you "Behind the Scenes" of Origins and explains even more about the Blight. The characters are again well-developed. If i compare the areas to Dragon Age 2, where It's not-stop repeating, every, and I mean EVERY area is used only ONCE, and this is just an Expansion Pack but it beats Dragon Age 2 at everything, except the length (Honestly, as boring as DA2 was, It felt like a lifetime to play it through). And not only they always differ, they are very beautiful. The connection to Origins is unquestionable. I don't know what IGN was talking about there. Ohh, and I think everyone will be happy for the returning characters here. The combat has been extended with new powers and the max level has been raised, though some might find the new powers a little over-powered in smaller fights. I think the ending was very good. I think most people didn't like it because there wasn't any big ceremony like there was in Origins. But if you take a closer look at Awakening's ending, you should know what I mean. Unlike Origins where It always make you feel heroic and happy no matter who died, in Awakening it's much more deeper and often more sad than Origins. They just walk off the scene to see what effects their choices made on others and indicates that It's nowhere near the end of the story and when you read the epilogue with that music under it, only then you'll truly understand the meaning of the ending and realize how some choice you make is more dramatic than in Origins. I think it can stand its ground easily as a standalone game. I hope I didn't blow off any surprise from the game and I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much just as I did. Expand
  14. Oct 7, 2010
    No wheres as good as Dragon Age Origins. I was expecting more. I loved loved loved DAO but sadly lost interest in this about 5 hrs in. Felt unfinished and rushed.
  15. Mar 6, 2017
    It has Ser Pounce-a-Lot. That's all you need to know. 10/10. Kidding aside, I have played this game many years ago and looking at DAII and Inquisition. Looking back, I wish this were just the sequel of Dragon Age Origins and the other two just didn't happen. If this were the case, less people would hate EA and Bioware today. Awakening is a worthy sequel but not as good as Origins. If likeIt has Ser Pounce-a-Lot. That's all you need to know. 10/10. Kidding aside, I have played this game many years ago and looking at DAII and Inquisition. Looking back, I wish this were just the sequel of Dragon Age Origins and the other two just didn't happen. If this were the case, less people would hate EA and Bioware today. Awakening is a worthy sequel but not as good as Origins. If like me, you romanced Leliana, you'd miss her so much and the characters here, while certainly interesting and better compared to most games, fall short of the original due to a reduced amount of conversations. Gameplay has been improved and the new skills are formidable. The keep building thing is also a plus and the quests are very good, especially the one against the spectral dragon or the politics and decision making that happen in your keep. Overall, a great expansion to an excellent game. Why and how EA went from this to DAII and Inquisition could only be blamed on the "consolification" of Dragon Age, which ruined and stripped-down so many things that made the original so great. Expand
  16. May 18, 2013
    I liked it
    Good sized expansion for its cost
    This should be the standard for all future DLC from EA/Bioware but this was a gem never to be repeated

Thumbs up from me
  17. Jan 29, 2015
    I have spent hours in this game - which is a good sign. I really like the story, characters & universe. The turn based combats are perfect. Time to thik and prepare your tactics.
  18. Feb 6, 2014
    One of the best expansions I've played. Reminds me of some full-scale sequels - story long enough (but not as long as the main part), companions very good (though not as good... you get me), few nostalgic moments as a reminder of the original story. I should really award this DAO-A with a 8, but when I compare it with some DAO DLCs or DA2, I just have to go higher. So... nine it is.

1. If Dragon Age didn't float your boat, neither will Awakening. Dragon Age enthusiasts, however, should consider it an essential purchase. It offers more of the same - no bad thing - in a great value package.
    The characters and talents are almost enough to overlook the fact that the skills, which are where abilities like crafting and coercion reside, seem a bit uninspired.
  3. Awakening is the biggest DLC Dragon Age Origins has ever seen. New lands, new weapons and new evils are the reasons to buy it for who loved the game, but same old graphics, the price and the classic gameplay won't make it more appealing for everyone else.