8.7

1. Mar 30, 2012
    Easily the best RPG I've played for at least a decade, if not ever. It's like Baldur's Gate all over again without all the glaring deficiencies of the old D&D ruleset. Great story, great characters, good voice acting, and it's a party-based RPG! The biggest downside to the game is that it has to end at some point. Oh, and the AI is a bit daft if left to its own devices. If you're evenEasily the best RPG I've played for at least a decade, if not ever. It's like Baldur's Gate all over again without all the glaring deficiencies of the old D&D ruleset. Great story, great characters, good voice acting, and it's a party-based RPG! The biggest downside to the game is that it has to end at some point. Oh, and the AI is a bit daft if left to its own devices. If you're even mildly interested in the premise of the game, you really should play Dragon Age: Origins. I want more of the same please! Expand
  2. Apr 2, 2012
    One of the best games that I have played in all my live. It is one of the few ones that you will be able to remember some years later as one exclusive experience. Original, entertaining, long and the most important, exciting. Only a few games will leave you this way.
  3. DanD
    Jan 13, 2010
    I fully enjoyed the playthrough of this and felt more like I was taking part in a movie than playing a game. The cinematics were pretty amazing and the storylines were fun and entertaining. The skill trees for the different classes were where the game was weak. The Mage class certainly had a good number of choices to customise the style of mage you wanted, but the warrior and rogue were I fully enjoyed the playthrough of this and felt more like I was taking part in a movie than playing a game. The cinematics were pretty amazing and the storylines were fun and entertaining. The skill trees for the different classes were where the game was weak. The Mage class certainly had a good number of choices to customise the style of mage you wanted, but the warrior and rogue were very limited. I found that about half of my skillpoints were useless and wished there was something better I could have put the points into. The general skills were mostly useless and disappointing. Trapmaking takes too much effort and buying all of the recipes is too expensive, then collecting all of the ingredients... Poison is even worse because if you don't have poison skill you can't apply poison - ie: can't have 1 person in the group that makes the poison and hands it out. Even then, the poisons do so little damage and last such a short time that they aren't worth it. If I had to rate just the skills, I'd give a very low score, but the graphics and storyline were quite entertaining. Oh specialisations... Also half of them are useless, but I liked how once you unlock them, you can use them in new games without re-discovering them. Expand
  4. GregC
    Nov 20, 2009
    Dragon Age: Origins is simply the most outstanding RPG in a LONG while. The combat is great, the movement is great, the story is excellent, and the freedom you have in the game is AMAZING. You are the one to decide how the story goes. You'll be finding yourself playing the game more and more! There are barely to none downsides to it!
  5. BryanR.
    Nov 3, 2009
    I have found this game to be phenomenal on PC so far, it is easily the match of its predecessors, Baldur's Gate I and II as well as Neverwinter Nights I and II. It is everything a fan of single-player western RPGS could ever hope for. What it lacks in originality (and it does try to inject some here and there) it makes up for in quality and presentation. Definitely give this game your time.
  6. Apr 2, 2011
    This is probably one of the best RPG's i've played. The Origins stories and multiple endings really add to the replayability, as if you don't get enough entertainment and playtime in one playthrough. The combat system is exciting, and i like the tactical element.
    Overall a fantastic game.
  7. Jul 20, 2011
    This is the ultimate D&D experience and successor to Baldurs Gate; the game IMHO is flawless. The element that impressed me the most is the LOVE and disproportionate time that went into the design of this game, which includes the artwork, conversations and choice trees along the plot. Even the monster battle tactics and animations were varied, rich and awesome.

The designers did not

The designers did not simply place cookie cutter dungeon walls that all look the same here and there, or cheap out on voice acting. No, the did the exact opposite. Every room looks lovingly designed to be slightly different. In a warehouse? Each room, has a different seemingly real world appearance that is different from one another. Ditto with the Dwarven caverns, and human castles, etc. Each character has a distinct personality. Does the thief use a different sword animation when she backstabs? you bet! And it looks pointy and deadly! Does the golem rock the ground simply by walking alongside you? Yes, nice touch. When a spider overwhelms your character and feasts on your prone body does it look disgusting and horrifying. Yup. Characters have different conversations with each other depending on who is in your party AND what you have accomplished in the plot and your choices. Your choices have a real impact on your game. You can even KILL some of the people that would have joined your party otherwise. It is truly mind boggling how many different plot twists there are depending on your started with (hence the origins) and what you do, and how you choose to do it. And, I know many of you are not big fans of cinematic sequences here, but the acting is really good - one scene, in a human castle, potentially was brutally heart wrenching, depending on how you chose to solve the issue.

Others here, no doubt covered the controls, the plot, etc. I liked it all, honestly, But the real point is that at a time when designers push products out the door that all look the same and bang for the buck, you KNOW they spent far far more time than they had to, to make a good game here.
  8. Jan 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great and fabulous game! I have played it at least 3 times, doing all possible quests, always as a mage... i love being a mage. But now i'm playing as a human noble, and it is fantastic!!! i have all dls'c and awakaning has sucha nostalgic feeling, makes em get deeply evolved and missing the original game!!! i realy got evolved and touched by the game story and gameplay is marvelous!!! nice graphics... the only problem is that the main character should speak like in mass effect!! well, have fun, it's realy worth the try!! Expand
  9. Jun 11, 2011
    With Dragon Age Origins Bioware showed quite well that when it comes to telling a story and putting you at the head of it, their are still the best around. Someone could complain that the interface is not perfect, the graphics now always top level, the battles somewhat repetitive after a while. But in the end what makes the game great is that you have a run through a wonderful story whileWith Dragon Age Origins Bioware showed quite well that when it comes to telling a story and putting you at the head of it, their are still the best around. Someone could complain that the interface is not perfect, the graphics now always top level, the battles somewhat repetitive after a while. But in the end what makes the game great is that you have a run through a wonderful story while meeting truly memorable characters which will hold a place in your heart all along those from your favourite movies and books. And this is something which largely compensate for every minor flaw, making it rather irrelevant... Expand
  10. Jun 20, 2011
    Player through this game 6 times and found something new each time. Read both books, The Stolen Thrown and The Calling. Great story telling and attention to detail; truly epic.
  11. Dec 11, 2011
    Played through to about three-quarters of the PC version of the game so far, so I would say I'm not being too quick to give my rating. Engaging storyline, fun mechanics, natural and well paced leveling up (unlike most leveling systems - makes you feel stronger but not overpowered, and fun even playing warriors, unlike traditional hack and slash, there are actually fun clickable abilitiesPlayed through to about three-quarters of the PC version of the game so far, so I would say I'm not being too quick to give my rating. Engaging storyline, fun mechanics, natural and well paced leveling up (unlike most leveling systems - makes you feel stronger but not overpowered, and fun even playing warriors, unlike traditional hack and slash, there are actually fun clickable abilities for them). Their stats system is quite enjoyable - there are no "wasted" stats - even Magic (something like intelligence in classical DnD) is specifically useful for a warrior. Be warned though, battles are challenging - in some cases, you'll need several reloads trying out different tactics or just hoping for the best (along the lines of: COME ON! DANG MAGE, JUST LET YOURSELF BE STUNNED ALREADY and don't unleash that damn lightning storm... ), especially if you refuse to lower the difficulty to easy mode (which I insisted on) (also please heed the advice by the game: don't always expect a full frontal assault of your party of four versus twenty enemies to work - please... you're powerful, but not godlike powerful...). You'll also need to master the pause button (IT"S NOT MEANT TO BE A REAL-TIME BATTLE SYSTEM), much like the Baldur's Gate series, which may be a bit confusing for some players, but once you get the hang of it, it is actually very enjoyable - e.g. it lets you tell the character to cast the high level blizzard storm, and you can watch the effects only when you are ready, and prepare combo spells to follow up without it being a confusing click-fest. As for the critics, who seem to be mainly the Oblivion converts (I payed to play it too, and it is fun in its own way), but this is a different type of RPG - one where the focus is on a strong story line, and less on things like getting lost in a maze or spending eight hours doing something mundane like fishing and perhaps never managing to get on with the story (as per Oblivion). The most impressive facet of this game to me is the amount of detail put into it - every SINGLE line is actor-voiced, and you can actually feel the emotions. The back story is also rich, including mini-treatises and actual wordings on plot items, but the game mechanics give you the option to read them only if you feel like it (warning: if English isn't one of your language, you may not be able to enjoy it much, some side quests require you to do "reading comprehension" to get it right; and you may also not appreciate the often interesting and amusing banter between companions). The developers also make sure to include snippets in the game that flatter the player, which actually succeed in making you feel smug about yourself when they do happen. Note: you're not doing justice to the game if you aren't playing in maximum graphics capability. Anyway, after I first played it for like five hours, and it was only starting to dawn on me that the attention to details were actually going to persist throughout the game, I was going like - "OMG! I can't believe I payed only thirty (Singapore) dollars (~20 USD) to play this game. How in the world are the developers going to recoup their losses from hiring all these graphic designers and voice actors? They must have spent a gazillion hours making the game. Please don't go bust anytime soon, I really want more of these priceless pieces of art...". Apparently, there are also different back stories depending on which class and race you choose to play (no, I'm not going to spoil them by wiki-ing them up), so there's going to be replayability. You can also pick different companions for next time, or just rotate them as you like - backbenchers will level up together with your main party, so you don't have to farm for xp (there's actually not much mindless farming you can do in this game). All in all, you won't regret buying this game UNLESS 1. you want to live in an alternate world literally and maybe never get on with the story (get Oblivion instead, it's a great game too), 2. you want a five minute learning curve ("why can't i just click UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT and make the enemy drop dead instantly?"), 3. you want to play ONLY a single player ("Can dang Morrigan and Alistair just do your own thingies without me needing to tell you what to do? I don't care if you two can make wonderful sophisticated combos out of the range of the capacity of any computer AI, I'm only interested in controlling ME AND ONLY ME!!!"), 4. you don't actually want a DnD-ish RPG title and got to this page by mistake, 5. you are a disgruntled EA employee fired for scolding your boss's mum a whore or something like that, 6. I can't think of a 6... Expand
  12. Dec 18, 2012
    At first I was not attracted by the tactical gameplay approach that Bioware had chosen. However, Dragon Age: Origins quickly changed my mind with its compelling storyline and perfect balance between action and dialogue.

In the character selection you can select between different races, origins and classes, which will influence your game experience. This results in extremely customizable characters. You will need to choose one of six unique origin stories, which will determine how the different races of Ferelden will treat you throughout the game.

With blood, gore, and dragons you will experience scary cutscenes that introduces you to the life as a Grey Warden. You travel through Ferelden trying to free the country from the darkspawn and the arch demon. Murder, treason and politics; all interfering with your epic quest. It is now up to you and your comrades to liberate this country. The experience was a perfect balance between beautiful outdoor areas and the frightening depths of the Deep Roads lurking with darkspawn.

The innovating gameplay implemented by Bioware does work brilliantly and instead of the usual hack-n-slash RPG you get a more strategic and at times more challenging adventure. At any time, you will have the opportunity to pause and consider the situation. This gives you a chance to regroup and plan the perfect way to get rid of your foes. Another twist compared to the Elder Scrolls and The Witcher series is that you do not only control your protagonist, but you control a band of heroes fighting your way through hordes of darkspawn, bandits and dragons! Bioware has truly created a game with an epic storyline. The personalities you will meet throughout the game are creative and original because of the intelligent voice acting that brings the characters to life. Even when you walk through town they will chat about numerous things, such as their pasts, races and classes.

As player you should expect gorgeous graphics, but also a challenging game with difficulties that can get even the most hardcore players on their toes! The game mechanics are easy accessible and very fast to learn. Dragon Age: Origins is definitely a must buy for all RPG fans!

Dragon Age: Origins is one of the best roleplaying games of this decade all up there with the Elder Scrolls and Fallout.
  13. Jan 4, 2013
    Some of the negative reviews of this game accuse the positive reviewers of only liking it because it is a Bioware game. Well, when I started playing, I hadn't played any Bioware games and didn't know their reputation. Actually, going in to this game, I was fairly skeptical. I had never played Baldur's Gate or anything similar before.

This may be my favorite game of all time. It is

This may be my favorite game of all time.

It is not a perfect game, as most people are willing to admit. Its propensity to crash and some of the wonky camera angles force me to drop my rating down to a 9. But I still love this game. The dialogue options you choose do have an effect on the game, even if it is only subtle and in the background. Some accuse it of being cliche'd and unoriginal, which baffles me. I've played many fantasy games and read thousands of fantasy books, and I find this original enough to be fresh while familiar enough to not turn me away.

The only thing that gave me pause at first was the combat system, but after I got around the fairly easy learning curve, I came to love it--the strategy and planning involved.

The story is great. The combat is great. The music is great. The graphics are...okay. Not Skyrim-level, but serviceable. I would recommend this game to anyone with even a passing interest in fantasy RPGs.

One caveat. This review is for the PC version. I watched someone play the Xbox version and was dismayed at the UI and how it affected combat. I'm certain it's still a great game, but not nearly as good as the PC version.
  14. BobbyD
    Dec 2, 2009
    This has to be the best single player RPG I have played since Final Fantasy 7. If you enjoy Bioware games, or played and liked "The Witcher" this is a must buy. It was challenging and had about 70 hours of gameplay first time through on Normal mode with over 75% of the optional quests completed. A must have for any RPG enthusiast. Very nice to have a traditional and original RPG with This has to be the best single player RPG I have played since Final Fantasy 7. If you enjoy Bioware games, or played and liked "The Witcher" this is a must buy. It was challenging and had about 70 hours of gameplay first time through on Normal mode with over 75% of the optional quests completed. A must have for any RPG enthusiast. Very nice to have a traditional and original RPG with depth and so epic to boot. Expand
  15. RodrigoQ
    Nov 7, 2009
    Though it feels like the gamecould have easily been MUCH better on the originality side, this is easily the best RPG I have played since BG2 and Planescape:Torment. Although not incredibly polished (yes I´m looking at you, armor-penetrating dwarf beard) I think thegraphics are sometimes just stunning, and beautiful. A truly immersive RPG experience!
  16. RM
    Nov 8, 2009
    I knew I would enjoy Dragon Age Origins, but after playing for about 40 hours, I realized that I wanted to marry this game and make sweet love to it by the campfire while my Mabari War Dog watches. It simply is the best CRPG I've played since Baldur's Gate 2, and in some ways, is even better. The story is engrossing, the characters are wonderful and well fleshed out, and the I knew I would enjoy Dragon Age Origins, but after playing for about 40 hours, I realized that I wanted to marry this game and make sweet love to it by the campfire while my Mabari War Dog watches. It simply is the best CRPG I've played since Baldur's Gate 2, and in some ways, is even better. The story is engrossing, the characters are wonderful and well fleshed out, and the gameplay is challenging and fun. It's been a long time since I've played a game that felt so rewarding and made me jump on for "just a few minutes" before work, or made me skip going out on a Friday night so I could keep playing. Yes, there are slight glitches, and I'm not crazy about the inventory system or the lack or a permanent inventory container, but my overall score is much closer to 10 than 9. Replayability is also not an issue, I can't wait to make my next character and see how different things can be with them. Expand
  17. PeterC
    Nov 8, 2009
    I am a old school rpg fan. Games like Baldur's Gate 2 (BG2) and Planescape: Torment still sit proudly on my desk waiting to be loaded and played. Sure, other good rpg came and went, like Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion or Mass Effect, but for a rpg junkie like me, nothing really took the edge off till Dragon Age: Origins came along. Initially, I was not overly impressed. Starting as a I am a old school rpg fan. Games like Baldur's Gate 2 (BG2) and Planescape: Torment still sit proudly on my desk waiting to be loaded and played. Sure, other good rpg came and went, like Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion or Mass Effect, but for a rpg junkie like me, nothing really took the edge off till Dragon Age: Origins came along. Initially, I was not overly impressed. Starting as a mage, I felt that the origin introduction could be more fleshed out. The game seems to be rushing to chase me out of the tower. Some conversation tree options do not really make sense and there was an elven mage in the corner who appears to be seated on thin air. Nevertheless I persevered, and by the time I was 10 hours into the game, I was hooked. Combat is challenging, in hard mode, I found myself loading the same battles again and again trying different tactics, trying to prevent my characters from dying. The new combat tactics menu required some time getting used to and a little programming knowledge to master. However, once set up properly, fights will become much easier. Naturally, there are minor flaws that marr the game - the hands are too big, fingers appear as if there was an extra joint; there are no bowstrings on bows - but all in all, I found myself being slowoly absorbed into this rich new gameworld of Thedas through a magical osmosis. Expand
  18. Jargo
    Jan 6, 2010
    Hands down the best game I've played in a good deal of years. The writing is great and the voice talent that went with the writing is not only appropriate but well picked. It challenges the player's intellect and beliefs in a way similar to how Mask of the Betrayer did. It really makes you think about what you're doing if you take the game seriously and read the text. Hands down the best game I've played in a good deal of years. The writing is great and the voice talent that went with the writing is not only appropriate but well picked. It challenges the player's intellect and beliefs in a way similar to how Mask of the Betrayer did. It really makes you think about what you're doing if you take the game seriously and read the text. It's one of those games that when you're done you are sad it is over because you feel attached to the world and feel you could do so much more for the world in that setting. Expand
  19. CanonY
    Nov 25, 2009
    I've played games most of my life, and of all genres I'm a big fan of role playing games. I remember the joy of playing final fantasy 5 for the first time. This is the pinnacle of all RPGs - a lot of work has gone into the game, and the depth shows. Dialogue appears to be endless. Literally, you could spend all day listening to the rumours in the tavern. It's much like I've played games most of my life, and of all genres I'm a big fan of role playing games. I remember the joy of playing final fantasy 5 for the first time. This is the pinnacle of all RPGs - a lot of work has gone into the game, and the depth shows. Dialogue appears to be endless. Literally, you could spend all day listening to the rumours in the tavern. It's much like reading a novel, but more involving. The action is fast and bloody. You learn to care about the characters in your party and each has their own past and personalities. I feel privileged having played such a game, it brings a big smile to my face. If you're more into button bashing or have a short attention span, then this game may not be for you but for everyone else - this is about as good as it gets. A classic in every respect. Expand
  20. Craden
    Nov 25, 2009
    This may be the best game I have ever played. At first, the controls were frustrating. I'm not used to a click to move set up. But since I've grown accustomed to that, I've found very little wrong with this game. If there is a defining characteristic of this game, it is depth. The characters have depth, the combat system has depth and the world at large has depth. The fact This may be the best game I have ever played. At first, the controls were frustrating. I'm not used to a click to move set up. But since I've grown accustomed to that, I've found very little wrong with this game. If there is a defining characteristic of this game, it is depth. The characters have depth, the combat system has depth and the world at large has depth. The fact that there is always something going on between the characters, be it banter or a more expanded dialogue, really brings this game to life. Some game worlds (Oblivion) feel lonely, like the world is scarcely populated and only by cutouts but in place to further your goals, this game is not one of them. The characters seem to have opinions and motivations independent of the player. It is true that the game incorporates a number of cliches and that the game world isn't exactly original. It is also true that the romantic interaction is a bit juvenile. But the first of these criticisms is true in general for video games. Nearly all game settings are genre based and generic to some degree (with certain exception). And as far as I'm aware, there have been few, 0 in fact, game plots that are of Pulitzer caliber. And more generally, all video games suffer from a juvenile male disposition. These things noted, this game takes small steps forward toward making video games a narrative art rather than simply a form of entertainment. This game is very much like what Borges described in his short story "The Garden of Forking Paths." It is a small glimpse at the future of interactive narrative. And for all it's flaws, it is the forebearer of the types of games that will gain video games respect in an artistic community and this, in itself, is no small accomplishment. Expand
  21. SamP
    Dec 3, 2009
    This is quite possibly the best game ever made. Disregard any review that says it is a bad game. In fact, disregard most reviews that describe any faults in the game. If any review says anything less than that Dragon Age is the best RPG ever, then they are wrong.
  22. livviem
    Nov 25, 2009
    Absolutely the pinnacle of everything Bioware's ever done. Without a doubt the best western RPG I've ever played and I loved that you finally get a proper ending for all your companions as well. Thank you Bioware, for never forgetting about the girl gamers and the romance storylines, they never fail to amaze me and you're really getting so close to perfect on that score. Absolutely the pinnacle of everything Bioware's ever done. Without a doubt the best western RPG I've ever played and I loved that you finally get a proper ending for all your companions as well. Thank you Bioware, for never forgetting about the girl gamers and the romance storylines, they never fail to amaze me and you're really getting so close to perfect on that score. Starting on my next playthrough right...now! Expand
  23. Aug 21, 2010
    This is one of the best story driven RPG's ever released. The great strength of this game lies in its immersive story and compelling characters. Bioware has created an epic fantasy world that draws you in from the opening scenes and holds you up till the final credits and beyond. The sound track is hauntingly beautiful and sets the mood wonderfully.
    The weakness of this game is that the
    The weakness of this game is that the game play does not quite match up quality wise to the story. The graphics, while not horrible, aren't overly impressive either. The combat can get repetitive after a while and the AI can be buggy in places. And it's almost too easy even on higher difficulties. Despite these flaws I found it to be a highly riveting game. It's like an epic fantasy novel that you can play instead of read. If your the kind of person who can get lost in a good book for hours on end, then Dragon Age: Origins is a must have. If however you play RPG's strictly for the combat and item collecting, you may be disappointed with this title.
  24. Nov 21, 2010
    This is an excellent game. Lots of fun over many, many hours. I've played many RPGs and I think this is as good as they come. The characters have distinct personalities and interact with each other in interesting ways. The game world is absorbing and fun to explore. The combat system is excellent for those like me who enjoy managing my character's actions for best effect.
  25. Mar 9, 2011
    I'd give this a 9, but there are too many 0's from people who just don't like RPGs, and don't like tactical combat. This is an RPG with tactical combat, and a story. Would you rate a lamp as zero because it's not a blender? That's absurd. If you want to run around and shoot things, play something else. There's nothing wrong with games like that. Yes, you definitely cannot trust theI'd give this a 9, but there are too many 0's from people who just don't like RPGs, and don't like tactical combat. This is an RPG with tactical combat, and a story. Would you rate a lamp as zero because it's not a blender? That's absurd. If you want to run around and shoot things, play something else. There's nothing wrong with games like that. Yes, you definitely cannot trust the AI to control your companions effectively on higher difficulties. I pause repeatedly during combat to give each minion a command, so that the timing of all spells and other actions is right. The thought of having to aim at things in real time and get good at reacting to on-screen events with well-timed and -placed mouse clicks -- not interested. It may not look as good as Oblivion or whatever (never played), but it's way the hell better than NWN2, the previous title I played. Not every choice affects outcome, but when the game ends, you will get to read what became of the different characters, towns, etc. The characters are rich, though interaction with them through conversation is by no means necessary. I could see where people would give it a point or two lower because the graphics aren't as good as X or the AI isn't as good as Y, but it's very good at what it purports to be, and any reviews you read that rank this game below about 7 are unjustified and misguided. Expand
  26. Mar 10, 2011
    I was inspired to visit this site after witnessing the absolute mockery that is DA2. What the hell happened? As soon as I got halfway through the ridiculous demo, I immediately started a new DA:O campaign. =) You know the old saying, you never realize what you've lost til it's gone. Well, the multi-character party, tactical combat-based, story-driven RPG is gone. I don't know howI was inspired to visit this site after witnessing the absolute mockery that is DA2. What the hell happened? As soon as I got halfway through the ridiculous demo, I immediately started a new DA:O campaign. =) You know the old saying, you never realize what you've lost til it's gone. Well, the multi-character party, tactical combat-based, story-driven RPG is gone. I don't know how many decision trees I have left in DA:O, but they're gonna have to last me until the rightful successor to DA:O comes along. Expand
  27. Mar 11, 2011
    Best fantasy based RPG I've ever played. Original and graphically pleasing. The only way they could have made it better is if the player character was voiced for every playable race and gender.
  28. Mar 11, 2011
    Pretty good, overall. I enjoyed the storyline and the world it set up. I can imagine Bioware will have a few sequels for this.
    It's no NWN or BG, but we're not gonna see anything like those for a while, I imagine. They're just not popular anymore.

Characterisation was great, dialogue was good, voice acting was good, graphics were good, plot was interesting. Combat was good, although the blood effects were over the top. Disappointed me that there were party members committed to fighting the blight who just sat around in camp all day doing nothing, but the only way around that is to have less party members.

One of the best RPGs I've played. Sure, it's not the best, but I enjoyed it.
  29. Jan 20, 2012
    As time goes on, I look back with more and more fond memories of Dragon Age: Origins. When I first played the game, I was lukewarm to it. I thought it was decent, but too much of an old-school RPG. But as I played the game more, and after I beat it the second time, I realized that Dragon Age may be one of the finest RPGs ever created. The same warm feelings I have for classic RPGs likeAs time goes on, I look back with more and more fond memories of Dragon Age: Origins. When I first played the game, I was lukewarm to it. I thought it was decent, but too much of an old-school RPG. But as I played the game more, and after I beat it the second time, I realized that Dragon Age may be one of the finest RPGs ever created. The same warm feelings I have for classic RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights are now applying to Dragon Age as well. Bioware's singular ability to create a world and populate it with interesting characters, events, and locations is on full display. It's such a shame that Dragon Age 2 was a disappointment. Hopefully DA3 will live up to this amazing game. Until then, I shall be playing this game over and over, and forgetting that DA2 even exists. Expand
  30. Dec 17, 2011
    An absolutely engrossing RPG with compelling companions, huge strategic battles and a memorable (if slightly generic) background story. I played this one through non-stop over the course of a few days. It was difficult to tear myself away. And I went back and played it a few more times through as different classes and genders. I enjoyed each play-through thoroughly. There are some minorAn absolutely engrossing RPG with compelling companions, huge strategic battles and a memorable (if slightly generic) background story. I played this one through non-stop over the course of a few days. It was difficult to tear myself away. And I went back and played it a few more times through as different classes and genders. I enjoyed each play-through thoroughly. There are some minor annoyances such as shuffling during fights and the many 'fetch' quests that plague most RPGs but the story more than makes up for it along with a beautiful world and unforgettable companions. Epic and engrossing. Expand
  31. Mar 16, 2011
    A script and dialogue to rival Planescape: Torment. That's the highest praise I could ever give a game. Play it through and be prepared to be engrossed, captivated, and moved in equal measure. As far as a sidenote in terms of gameplay, its rather micro-managed combat can take a bit of getting used to, but is ultimately rewarding and challenging. Looks great, plays great, reads evenA script and dialogue to rival Planescape: Torment. That's the highest praise I could ever give a game. Play it through and be prepared to be engrossed, captivated, and moved in equal measure. As far as a sidenote in terms of gameplay, its rather micro-managed combat can take a bit of getting used to, but is ultimately rewarding and challenging. Looks great, plays great, reads even better. Utterly superb. Expand
  32. Feb 14, 2012
    One of the best isometric role playing games ever made. Deep, intricate, fantastic storytelling - serviceable combat, and epic in length. This game surprises, thrills, and engages. It even becomes emotional and powerful throughout it's very long campaign. The world is not as inventive or quirky as planescape torment, however it's pacing is fantastic for a game of this type.
  33. Sep 5, 2011
    If you have the ultimate edition like me, you'll find this is one of the best RPGs in long time, unlike the sequel which is pretty crap due to console button bashing gameplay, this game maintains a PC grade experience who prefer a bit of strategy and planning. Excellent story, decent graphics, easily 100+ hours of gameplay.
  34. Jun 24, 2011
    One reviewer called this game a love letter to the classic RPG, and it's true. Huge, epic story on the scale of BG2, side plots, romance and a climactic final battle. Dragon Age: Origins brings the formula up to date. It has top-down-view tactical combat with a custom ruleset that works far better than the D&D one -- no "resting", and warriors and rogues have a range of abilities now!One reviewer called this game a love letter to the classic RPG, and it's true. Huge, epic story on the scale of BG2, side plots, romance and a climactic final battle. Dragon Age: Origins brings the formula up to date. It has top-down-view tactical combat with a custom ruleset that works far better than the D&D one -- no "resting", and warriors and rogues have a range of abilities now! Multiple endings, and even a gay romance plot that's been the subject of controversy but that I thought was rather good and a step forward for the genre. A little cliche and with some slow bits, but basically excellent. Expand
  35. May 7, 2012
    As a rule, I don't give games, movies, etc. a rating above a 9, no matter how much I may enjoy them. With Dragon Age Origins, I can honestly say it is the best game I have ever, and probably will ever play. I have played it through at least a half dozen times and am still not nearly done. If you never buy another game again, buy DA:O. The basic one alone has better characters, plot lineAs a rule, I don't give games, movies, etc. a rating above a 9, no matter how much I may enjoy them. With Dragon Age Origins, I can honestly say it is the best game I have ever, and probably will ever play. I have played it through at least a half dozen times and am still not nearly done. If you never buy another game again, buy DA:O. The basic one alone has better characters, plot line and immersion than every other game I've ever played combined. Expand
  36. Jul 1, 2011
    Awesome game, I highly recommend it! Just completed it and I want to start again. I can honestly say I haven't played such great RPG for very long time. Grab this masterpiece.
  37. Feb 9, 2012
    Wonderful game, rich, inspired, clever. Deep story abd realistic combat made for an unforgettable experience. A must have for all RPGs fan. Ignore the sequel as its a very inferior product in every aspect.
  38. Feb 29, 2012
    I picked up Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition during a Gamefly sale, and for $7.49, this has been the best value that I've ever gotten for my gaming dollars. Dragon Age gripped me from the moment that I started playing it, and after over 100 hours of gameplay, I'm still having a blast.

To me, Dragon Age plays a lot like a single player linear-ish MMO, if that makes any sense. Because you can set a "casting priority list" for each of your party members, switch characters whenever you want, and issue commands while the game is paused....yeah, I really felt like I was using special mind control powers over a fairly typical MMO party. Once you add in some great character development and dialogue, the kind that BioWare is well known for, along with a gripping story, the result is an RPG classic. Origins is a can't miss game for anyone who loves mages and warriors and rogues and stuff.

Dragon Age isn't a perfect game, as no game is, but for the sake of bumping up the score, I feel compelled to give it a 10 out of 10 (after all, I can't select 9.5, which is what I think it deserves). I'll also mention that the extensive DLC content, as well as the Awakening expansion, just add more of what makes Origins itself so much fun. If you haven't played Origins at all yet, then I definitely would recommend buying the Ultimate Edition.
  39. KennyO
    Dec 8, 2009
    I just finished my first time through on a PC version of the game playing it on the hard difficulty - it took a little over 100 hours. [I'm going to guess that it's unplayable on XBOX (as was Oblivion) - but that's the platform and not the game's fault.] The relationship dynamics and choosing story line is engaging. This is easily the best video game I've ever I just finished my first time through on a PC version of the game playing it on the hard difficulty - it took a little over 100 hours. [I'm going to guess that it's unplayable on XBOX (as was Oblivion) - but that's the platform and not the game's fault.] The relationship dynamics and choosing story line is engaging. This is easily the best video game I've ever played, regardless of genre, because the storyline requires thinking in terms of relationships, past conversations, and future outcomes. Hard difficulty means having to pause during battle often to micromanage, unless you find some good tactics and have programmed the individual character tactics effectively. Early in the game the incessant conversations can be tedious, and late in the game the incessant battles become a little tedious too - but overall this is a stunning and beautiful experience. Expand
  40. RyanB
    Jan 11, 2010
    Dragon Age Origins is one of those kinds of games that when you look at it, you go "Oh hey, Bioware makes great RPGs". But DAO surpasses the expectations that many gamers have, with its gritty realism in difficult sequences, it's lack of moral compass, amazingly well thought out combat system, and its superb RPG elements. It leaves near nothing to be desired, and Bioware is Dragon Age Origins is one of those kinds of games that when you look at it, you go "Oh hey, Bioware makes great RPGs". But DAO surpasses the expectations that many gamers have, with its gritty realism in difficult sequences, it's lack of moral compass, amazingly well thought out combat system, and its superb RPG elements. It leaves near nothing to be desired, and Bioware is determined to make it even more of a hit with the new expansion pack on its way later this year. The almost constant flow of addons produced by Bioware is also a big plus for many of us gamers, as well as the many player-made mods. Overall, it is an amazing game, and will be the epitome of RPGs for years to come...unless Bioware releases something better :P Expand
  41. IvanG
    Jan 14, 2010
    This is one of the BEST RPGs out there. And i need to say again that this is not a game like fallout, world of warcraft that you rush in and kill all NPC's in a room, this is a TACTICAL game you need to use tactics to survive. The best feature is to pause the game and plan the tactics of every character. A MUST HAVE
  42. CaseyD.
    Jan 29, 2010
    It took some time to start enjoying this game. Once I got the hang of it, I couldn't stop playing it. The story is solid, the graphics are great, and best of all I feel like I got my money's worth. Good job BioWare. Looking forward to the expansions!
  43. PaulS.
    Feb 6, 2010
    An incredible game. The combat is perfectly balanced and requires tactical thinking, and the multitude of skills you can choose for your characters combined with the easy swap-out of party members creates a huge variety of options in how you approach each battle. The plot, writing of the characters, voice acting, and presentation are among the best of any game I've ever played - only An incredible game. The combat is perfectly balanced and requires tactical thinking, and the multitude of skills you can choose for your characters combined with the easy swap-out of party members creates a huge variety of options in how you approach each battle. The plot, writing of the characters, voice acting, and presentation are among the best of any game I've ever played - only other Bioware games are in the same league. Best of all, unlike many role-playing games, in this game you actually play a role - your choices have a believable impact on every encounter, and though you aren't free to enter every house or visit every hilltop, you ARE free to play exactly the kind of character you would want to be. It's a thought-provoking and memorable artistic experience, as well as a polished and challenging tactical game. Top-notch. Expand
  44. SquareBear
    Nov 5, 2009
    Dragon Age Origins is 80% Baldur's Gate, 10% World of Warcraft and 10% Neverwinter Nights. Yes Baldur's Gate II fanatics, rejoice. You have waited 10 years... suffered through endless pathetic dark alliance clones, shed tears over the blandness of NWN, and endured the countless mockery of the console crowd as you continued to replay your dusty copies of BG2 like some old timer Dragon Age Origins is 80% Baldur's Gate, 10% World of Warcraft and 10% Neverwinter Nights. Yes Baldur's Gate II fanatics, rejoice. You have waited 10 years... suffered through endless pathetic dark alliance clones, shed tears over the blandness of NWN, and endured the countless mockery of the console crowd as you continued to replay your dusty copies of BG2 like some old timer in front of a drugstore with nothing better to do than talk about the good ol' days. Well now the good ol' days are back. Dragon Age Origins is the real deal. It has a very worthy and thoughtful story, non-linear progression, sidequests, dialogue, character interaction, challenging tactical battles and all the other features that will make you rejoice at the return of the classic Pc Rpg. First off the graphics are amazing. Beautiful even. Its very obvious that the game was designed to bring the vivid backgrounds of BG2 to life on the screen in 3d. You will see for yourself when you get into the game how each screen looks as if it could become a still portrait and have little avatars plod along it. Character animation and combat animation are also superb. The character closeups even your detailed main character, whom you can fine tune nearly every feature of, is shown live in the cutscenes which appear to be movie quality. The combat animations are also forceful and realistic. Fireballs especially, as they explode into jets of rolling flame and blast their targeted pack down and outward from the point of impact. The combat system revolves around abilities and talent trees in a way that you can compare closely to World of Warcraft. Each character class has several mini talent trees to choose from depending on how you wish to play and specialize. For instance, warriors can choose 2 handers, dual wielding or sword and shield and their talents will all enhance that style of play. And there really are a lot of talents available for each of the classes. The story is probably the game's strongest element. It's grizzly and entrancing, truly living up to its title as a "Dark Fantasy Epic". Bioware has created a world of their own and fleshed it out with countless details and history. You also have many moral directions to take the story to, and the gameplay progression branches off from its linear path to half a dozen different ones right after the first chapter. There are also 6 different ways to start the game and you will be assigned a background story depending on which class and race you choose. This background will stay with you throughout the game and has an impact on many of your interactions. As far as the characters go, I'm very happy to say that they are up to the standard that you would expect from a spiritual sequel to BG2. All are well written, well acted and have frequent interjections, outbursts, arguments and discussions that really immerse you in the game. You can converse with any of them at any given time to pry stories from them or learn special skills. Characters can be given gifts that suit their personalities and will gain bonuses when their approval rating of you increases. There's even a bit of romance possible and a female bard that's a dead ringer for Imoen (Knock yourselves out fellas). My only complaints about the game come from an obsessive fanaticism for the ancient (10 year old) Baldur's Gate 2. And they are as follows... I don't like that you cannot zoom the camera out far enough to see the battlefield as it is somewhat leashed to your character. The top down tactical view seems to be the 7th deadly sin in the console world, but I'm pretty sure it can be implemented completely for us old fashioned PC users who miss their classic gaming. The second thing is the 4 character limitation to your active party. I'm sure there was some technical or balance reason for this, but again, we infinity gamers liked our 6 character parties and really hoped to not have any kind of silly limitation. The good news is that your characters that you "Collect" always remain in your party, just not in your active party. When you are in camp you get to interact with them all at once. And unless your in a dungeon you can swap between them in what is pretty much the character select screen from Diablo 2. An ironic testament to the blatant copycatting between Blizzard and Bioware in the olden days. (Maybe this is a signal to blizzard that their old nemesis is back). The last thing that I don't especially approve of is the instant healing between battles and automatic revivals after battle. This is somewhat of a realism killer and removes the need to have a cleric around. But the game does such a good job of making the actual battles challenging enough to where you will definitely want a healer. It also penalizes you for dying by giving you stacks of injuries that lower stats and cannot be cured too easily. Overall, if your a fan of the old Infinity Engine Rpg's your going to love this, plain and simple. It blends the very best of the old and the new in a way that should make all but the most brain dead of console cretin cutscene skippers or the most fanatical infinity engine junkies happy. Now someone needs to put Minsc in there pronto. Expand
  45. HenkR
    Jan 7, 2010
    This game has urged me to make my first post on this website. The reason behind this: I had to up the number on this game! This game is the first game in about 10 years that finally gave me the same feeling as the Baldur's Gate series of Planescape Torment gave me: of sheer and utter pleasure. Now i admit to the fact that this game is in fact not for everybody. Moreover, it's This game has urged me to make my first post on this website. The reason behind this: I had to up the number on this game! This game is the first game in about 10 years that finally gave me the same feeling as the Baldur's Gate series of Planescape Torment gave me: of sheer and utter pleasure. Now i admit to the fact that this game is in fact not for everybody. Moreover, it's very likely that most of u won't even like this game. I mean, read the ra(n)tings of some people below me. The reason for this is that Dragon Age was defeloped as a (semi) hardcore squad-based rpg that closely resembles D&D. The fact that the game is rather hardcore shows in the way u have to use a variety of tactics, pause a lot, personally command your companions and actually think about the actions u make in this world. U can't expect to stomp through this game, u have to take your time, let it grow and make sure u spend a shitload of time tinkering your squad and gear (especially on higher difficulties) Because seriously: the AI ain't bad, you're just supposed to do it yourself. Just pause, reposition your squad, pick the abilities they need to use and just do it yourself. This is no diablo, this is baldur's gate revisited! The game doesn't do shit if you don't do it yourself and some people (like me) love the fact that you are truly in controll. Heck, it's either command or die and i love it. Expand
  46. OliverS
    Jan 7, 2010
    This is a positively engaging, beautiful and epic game. While unashamedly retro, you can make it as deep as you want. If you want to pause between every fight and manage your team's AI, you can. But if you want the computer to deal with AI and play in real-time, you can also do that. But the real shine in this game is from the dialogue, depth, amount of choices and just purely how This is a positively engaging, beautiful and epic game. While unashamedly retro, you can make it as deep as you want. If you want to pause between every fight and manage your team's AI, you can. But if you want the computer to deal with AI and play in real-time, you can also do that. But the real shine in this game is from the dialogue, depth, amount of choices and just purely how engaging it is. If you want to play a game purely for fun, maybe not so much for you. But this is like reading a fully interactive novel where you can explore every facet in any amount of detail. I realise many find this boring simply because story and dialogue are not so important to them. But that is really where this shines :D. Expand
  47. MichaelJ
    Nov 6, 2009
    To put it simply: Awesome game! Bioware really lived up to their reputation as one of the best RPG developers on the PC and DAO surpasses classic RPG´s like "Baldurs Gate" and Neverwinter nights" in my humble opinion. I gave it a 10 because i couldnt give it 9.7, the reason for that is that it still has some very minor flaws, but those are not gamebreaking flaws but simply a matter To put it simply: Awesome game! Bioware really lived up to their reputation as one of the best RPG developers on the PC and DAO surpasses classic RPG´s like "Baldurs Gate" and Neverwinter nights" in my humble opinion. I gave it a 10 because i couldnt give it 9.7, the reason for that is that it still has some very minor flaws, but those are not gamebreaking flaws but simply a matter of my personal opinion that some things could have been done better, for example i feel like the areas are too small and its not possible to go exploring like in NWN. But this is on of the only games i ever played so much without getting tired of the game, it is one of those games any RPG gamer just HAS to have in his or her collection. Expand
  48. Oct 14, 2011
    Good, solid Fantasy RPG. Nothing revolutionary, but definitely worth the money. The storyline was immersive, the characters were interesting, and the graphics were sufficient (not great though). Too bad Dragon Age II was apparently such a disaster, if it had been more like Origins it probably would have done a lot better.
  49. Mar 15, 2011
    Oops, I came here to write to review of Dragon Age 2 and accidentally posted it in the Origins review site.

I'll re-review to wipe out my bad rating for Origins! Origins is one of the best games ever created. If you like RPG or tactical combat, you'll love Origins.
  50. Apr 17, 2012
    It is really beautiful. Very long and very captivating. You'll find yourself completely living in that world. I didn't want it to end. The story is very strong, even has political subtexts and the gameplay is very fun. I strongly recommend this to anyone who likes RPG. Don't even hesitate.
  51. Jul 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story was brilliant and highly immersive. This game truly played on my emotions, from the tragic to the comic. The power struggle in my warden's relationship with Morrigan reminded me of real-life. Alistair's social ineptitude made me laugh. When I played a female warden and romanced him I acquired a previously unknown-to-me rapport with women in general. The voice actors were brilliant. The dramatic events were staged with cinematographic insight. The music was inspiring. The game isn't perfect, and the combat tended to degenerate into freeze and smash (cone of cold beats everything), but I don't play these games for the combat and overall this is what RPGs should be. (Too bad about the turd of a sequel...) Expand
  52. Jul 4, 2011
    One of the best RPG's released in a decade. The story is riveting and deep, the characters are believable and fun to interact with. The options in every situation that affect the outcome of the game are thoughtful and well implemented.
  53. Jul 5, 2011
    Dragon Age Origins has a different feel than most RPG's that i am used to, though i still enjoyed the game the story sucked me right in yet it wasn't perfect the mechanics were fun but took some getting used too gameplay was more strategic than action this is were it hurts me the most i like Action Role Playing Games like Diablo 2 LOD and Dragon Age Origins took some getting used to. OverDragon Age Origins has a different feel than most RPG's that i am used to, though i still enjoyed the game the story sucked me right in yet it wasn't perfect the mechanics were fun but took some getting used too gameplay was more strategic than action this is were it hurts me the most i like Action Role Playing Games like Diablo 2 LOD and Dragon Age Origins took some getting used to. Over all this game is worth the money If you are interesting don't hesitate its should be relatively cheap now. Expand
  54. Jul 17, 2011
    After over 500 hours of playing this game, I have to say that this is probably one of my all time most favorite games ever. I especially loved the story, the battle structure and the dialogue. The dialogue/conversations are awesome, I have never laughed or cried so much for just one thing be it game, movie or book. You get so immersed in the story and the companions that they almost seemsAfter over 500 hours of playing this game, I have to say that this is probably one of my all time most favorite games ever. I especially loved the story, the battle structure and the dialogue. The dialogue/conversations are awesome, I have never laughed or cried so much for just one thing be it game, movie or book. You get so immersed in the story and the companions that they almost seems real. I adored the romance aspect of it, it was such an interesting way to affect gameplay. I only have one small complaint-the item juggling got old after a while. Yes, the party chest was handy but I got pretty tired of constantly tromping up there to see if the items I'd just won were better than what I already had stored away. That compared to the awesomeness of the rest of the game though, it's hardly worth mentioning. Expand
  55. Jul 5, 2012
    Brilliant game. The person who complained about the AI is playing the wrong type of game. You aren't supposed to stand still and watch your players fight. You are supposed to think and work out how to use your team's mix of skills, and tell them what to do. It works very well: in hard battles you can keep pausing to keep track of everything going on and give new instructions. In easyBrilliant game. The person who complained about the AI is playing the wrong type of game. You aren't supposed to stand still and watch your players fight. You are supposed to think and work out how to use your team's mix of skills, and tell them what to do. It works very well: in hard battles you can keep pausing to keep track of everything going on and give new instructions. In easy battles you can give a few commands and let it play out. The really great thing about the game is the moral dilemmas. Time and again I was suprised that a quest to go and beat someone up turned into an interesting conversation where I became sympathetic to them and had to think to decide what to do. This is gaming at its very best. Expand
  56. Jul 28, 2011
    (10.0)Almost a perfect game. Though combat needs to be a little more dynamic, story, characters, depth, perfect.
    It's epic and absolutely worth buying, it has like 50-60 hours long, one of the best games of the last 4, 5 years for sure.
  57. Aug 26, 2011
    One of the best rpg's ever! The only downside is that battle can be challenging, but is that really a downside? Playing the elf mage I think has the best storyline. The dialogue/conversations are as realistic as any game i've ever played. great voice acting. Do yourself a favor by getting Origins as opposed to Dragon Age 2 which is the complete opposite.
  58. Nov 6, 2011
    As a fan of RPG games, this game with Baldurs Gate take first place in my RPG list. This game taking your whole mind into this magic world. The story is made perfectly, side quest are interesting, the choices which you are making makes diffrence in the future, there`s everything what good RPG game should have. If you haven`t played it... just DO IT.
  59. Sep 15, 2011
    This is one of my favorite games. I just love almost everything in this game: gameplay, characters, cutscene, graphics, and even control I really liked, well, nothing I can not help myself! =) Another great game from the hardcore BioWare!
  60. Oct 19, 2011
    Great story. I love how many ways there are and how mayn descisions you can make. Of course they will all lead to the final battle, but well, it's still a game- I can't really understand why other players critisize the A.I. cause it works perfectly for me. you can even change every behaviour of every single party member. what more do you want? and keeping the defaults won't even be stupidGreat story. I love how many ways there are and how mayn descisions you can make. Of course they will all lead to the final battle, but well, it's still a game- I can't really understand why other players critisize the A.I. cause it works perfectly for me. you can even change every behaviour of every single party member. what more do you want? and keeping the defaults won't even be stupid just not perfect. so if you like RPG buy it. oh one thing: if you hate long dialogs with a perfect synchro don't buy it. but if you love playing a movie (thats overexerating) buy it :D Expand
  61. Nov 8, 2011
    One of my all-time favorites. This is a shameless D&D style nerdfest of an RPG and I wouldn't have it any other way. The combat is a bit clunky, but it was crafted that way on purpose. The fighting has more of a chessboard feel, really.
  62. Dec 10, 2013
    I wrote this review, because of the negative marks and low average score this game got. I mean, 8.5 REALLY This game is true to the baldur's gate inheritance and has amazing scenario, graphics, music, ethical choices, spell and fight system and I got the best thief-assasin character ever... For me it is a clear 10
  63. Oct 31, 2012
    Great story line. The characters are very well defined. The play could use a bit of work, but the game is so addictive that, you probably won't care. The comments your party make are very funny. I often change up members just to hear the different interactions.
  64. Dec 3, 2012
    EPIC RPG GAME EVER MADE ON PC
    nothing to say about this game just love it every charecters just made perfectly
    played over 10 times
    never regret playing this game
  65. Dec 7, 2013
    Dragon Age: Origins is the best game I ever played(according to me of course).The relationships between you and your companions are so intense that I am really "role playing". Combat system is very good story is good, characters are great.Love this game
  66. Aug 16, 2014
    A classic that is still the benchmark today for true RPG. Everything comes together in such magical ways that words cannot describe. It is an enchanting,enthralling,epic adventure that you'll never forget.

Graphics=9
    Music=10
    Gameplay=9
    Story=10
  67. Nov 22, 2014
    There are few "real" RPG, almost all are "Action-RPG" in which you fight with "player's skills", dodging and attacking with mouse and keyboard movements, except few ones like Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age Origins (not Dragon Age 2, of course). I will call them "Canonic-RPG" those in which your character fights "automatically" based only in its stats, not on player'sThere are few "real" RPG, almost all are "Action-RPG" in which you fight with "player's skills", dodging and attacking with mouse and keyboard movements, except few ones like Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age Origins (not Dragon Age 2, of course). I will call them "Canonic-RPG" those in which your character fights "automatically" based only in its stats, not on player's manipulation, you can love or hate this kind of RPG but one thing is true: there are so few of them, and this is one of the best, with two points of view (isometric and third person), an epic story with unforgettable moments, the "cinematic" dialogue from NWN2, and a solid toolset that allowed more than 2000 mods. What more could may be asked to a game? Expand
  68. Feb 25, 2011
    Awesome game, one of the few I have logged over 40hours in. 120 and counting. Love the combat system. People have complained about the AI but that is what the tactics menu is for. Being able to pause game and micro manage everything is one of the best parts though!
  69. Mar 8, 2011
    One of the greatest RPG's ever made. I'm playing it a 2nd time around and it gets even more enjoyable after you've played it through once, believe it or not.
  70. JimH
    Feb 14, 2010
    I had been disappointed by the last couple rpg's put out by Bioware. Neverwinter Nights 1 was so bland, NWN2 was a little better with the return of party based play. The combat in Mass Effect was so terrible I was disgusted I spent even 15 bucks on it. Dragon Age blows them out of the water. The combat is terrific and demands careful thinking and different tactics battle to battle. I had been disappointed by the last couple rpg's put out by Bioware. Neverwinter Nights 1 was so bland, NWN2 was a little better with the return of party based play. The combat in Mass Effect was so terrible I was disgusted I spent even 15 bucks on it. Dragon Age blows them out of the water. The combat is terrific and demands careful thinking and different tactics battle to battle. If you're hoping to control only your main character and let the AI handle the others ala kotor or nwn1 FORGET ABOUT IT! If you love the care needed in BG2 and managing every character carefully this is the game for you. I couldn't get enough of the constant challenge. Furthermore I was very impressed that every single piece of dialogue in the entire game is spoken and voice acted very well. Several NPC interactions had me laughing out loud. Yes, many of the conversations are long but you won't hear me complaining about more game. My only complaint is that the rogue class seemed useless, although that is only after my first play through. In fact I would never use them at all, instead using a mage, mage, tank, tank line up and ignoring locked chests. Overall, the quests were well varied, the plot was great, the combat was near perfect, the graphics were terrific and my expectations were exceeded. Bravo to Bioware for a return to form. Expand
  71. Nov 19, 2014
    Still an absolute gem of a game. The combat is just right and the story is engaging, especially the deep roads bit Would've loved to see more content being published for this, rather than 2 forgetable expansions.
  72. JoshT
    Nov 8, 2009
    I've played Oblivion, both Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Fallout 3, Crysis, and many other games (as my basis of comparison). This Dragon Age Origins far exceeded my expectations of what i though the game would be like. All the crappy Youtube and internet videos i watched of the actual gameplay matched nothing towards how nice the graphics were in-game play. Of course, I've played Oblivion, both Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Fallout 3, Crysis, and many other games (as my basis of comparison). This Dragon Age Origins far exceeded my expectations of what i though the game would be like. All the crappy Youtube and internet videos i watched of the actual gameplay matched nothing towards how nice the graphics were in-game play. Of course, we're not looking at Crysis type graphics (which i consider to be the best of any game i played in graphics quality) but i would say the graphics are right around Oblivion graphics quality. I heard that the console versions of the game got the brunt-end version of the game, but its awesome on PC. I love how the combat system is set up. You can pick a class that is suitable as a tank, dps, or healer(mages heal) and play the game since other party members can do the other roles that you don't have on your main character. What makes this game different than any other game that i have played is the seemingly flawless storytelling involved with the NPC characters you interact with. The characters make eye contact, fold their arms, look angry, happy, or sad very realistically when you talk to them. I've played perhaps 20 hours into the game and am hooked for going on for a lot more. This is the most unique game that i have gotten in a while for sure. Expand
  73. EdwardC
    Dec 13, 2009
    I am 50 years old and have been playing PC or video games since the release of pong in the 1970's. I have played all kinds of Genre
  74. HowardJ
    Dec 27, 2009
    The Best Bioware game produced to date. A deep storyline and interesting environments combine to create the best RPG in a long time. Good to see that game developers are willing to put this much effort into game which is not intended to leech money off its players every month (MMOs).
  75. JonasH
    Dec 27, 2009
    This game made me believe in Role-Playing Games again.
  76. Oct 16, 2010
    This is a great game. First the interface is easy to grasp and intuitive. Second, the combat is enjoyable for those who are into more than just hack and slash. The story is very good, but as with all RPGs that only lasts the first play through. The romance aspect continued to be intriguing for many plays. I have done guy on girl, girl on girl, and both in the same play (but you haveThis is a great game. First the interface is easy to grasp and intuitive. Second, the combat is enjoyable for those who are into more than just hack and slash. The story is very good, but as with all RPGs that only lasts the first play through. The romance aspect continued to be intriguing for many plays. I have done guy on girl, girl on girl, and both in the same play (but you have to choose). Three complaints. One is that after the first play it would be great if the dialogue could be bypassed. I use the escape key but it would be nicer if it could be bypassed even faster. Second, the "treasure" just does not measure up as you move up. Often times you are just picking up junk. Alternately, get rid of the pack limit so we don't have to chose. Also, change the loot function so we can just take everything at once. The multiple and egregious clicking does not add anything to the game. Those are minor flaws and they often exist in the best games. This is a best game. You will get how to play this game right away and you will enjoy it through the end. Expand
  77. Nov 1, 2010
    I loved this game, same style gameplay as KOTOR. The combat was fun to watch, and I really was able to get into the storyline. The dialogue was very well done IMHO. This was one of my favorite games now, and will always have a spot on my hard drive (except for alot of the DLC, most of it was done very poorly)
  78. Feb 17, 2011
    Since Baldur's Gate and NeverWinter Night ... I was waiting for a worthy successor.
    When i ordered Dragon Age first time, i was a little bit impatient. When i got the game, i was like a child.
    The game mechanics themselves aren't really innovating, graphisms are not wonderfull, but ambiance, in game scenario, different possibilities, choices, and endings are really greats. To shorten my
    To shorten my critic, i just can say that this game is one of my favorites.
    I'm waiting impatiently Dragon Age 2 !
  79. Mar 11, 2011
    replaying this game right now, to get the taste of the taste of the decidedly inferior sequel out of my mouth. looking over my previous saves, apparently i spent well over three hundred hours playing. numerous characters, every ending in the book. still just a great game in every way, and even more glaringly obvious what's been lost when you compare it to DA2.
  80. Mar 14, 2011
    Now since I restarted DAO cause of DA2. I look over everything I see. Story, detail, graphics, music, game play and Reply value.

The Story: It is amazing for this game. Well thought and well Detailed. Spread over the whole map. The main story line is amazing it drags you in from the get go. Straight to the end of the game. The side quests are great to again all over the map. Certainly gives you that extra bit to work on even if it only gives a little extra bit of game play. Even with character stories to. Some meld together. Even the interaction talks while wondering about. It all works together perfectly.

The Detail: Tones in my book. Just perfect for a long RPG. Which is what it should be. Certainly a lot to read to give you more detail and draw you into the game world. Which it should. Cause that moment you start to play it should drag you in which it dose with this. Many might say that tones of reading is boring. But this is always a key point to good RPG. No way you could have some one just speak it all out. Some might say that would be better some would say not. Hence why having both in it. Is much better. The detailed conversations from the characters and npc's down to the codex notes which give you information.

The Graphics: Perfect and still now perfect in my books for an RPG like this one. The Characters are life like, even in the cinematic's. The towns and Cities are well detailed and work with the time period of the game. The npc's and even the animals. The darkness in it work even well better for game and story. Some might say it dose not. But I beg to differ.

The Music: It is great. It enhances the game amazingly, drawing you into the game even more. So much work put into it, It is certainly one of the things I love in this game. Nothing more I can say.

The Reply Value: The reply value of this game. Is great to reply as the other classes certainly makes it worth while indeed. Even go different ways with them in the sense of character. Yes there is mods out there you can use to further enhance that. But on just the game it is perfect. It is certainly one game I will reply many times out of my large and I use that loosely game collection.

Overall: This game is one all you RPG players should certainly have. Graphics, story, Detail. Everything works perfectly for this game. I give this 100% and 10/10
  81. Mar 28, 2011
    This game is the best rpg since baldur,s gate, the story is great, also graphics are great, this game has no bad sides, the best part of game is that you can choose how you want to start the game.
  82. Mar 29, 2011
    Probably the best traditional pc role playing game of the decade, with some great characters and a nice setting. Battle system was fine, and while I would have appreciated to have less dlcs and more contents in the initial package the game is still up there with the best.
  83. Apr 10, 2012
    This game is very decent and features a solid plot along with many different little paths that can greatly alter your experience. However, it failed to give me the desire to continue playing, as combat was slow, and progress, seemingly insignificant.
  84. Apr 19, 2011
    One of the great RPG, that's real. nothing much to complain about the game: The combat, the gameplay, the character, the story, quest, items...all is great. The things I have to complain myself is I've played this game so late! Maybe many people criticize about its difficulty: It is very hard on the hard and nightmare mode, I agree, but I enjoy the challenge :). The things make the game isOne of the great RPG, that's real. nothing much to complain about the game: The combat, the gameplay, the character, the story, quest, items...all is great. The things I have to complain myself is I've played this game so late! Maybe many people criticize about its difficulty: It is very hard on the hard and nightmare mode, I agree, but I enjoy the challenge :). The things make the game is not so perfect is about the main character: except the small dialogues in the gameplay, they doesn't speak dialogue option! Overall, the game that worth to waste money that every gamer should have in their collection. 10 points!!! Expand
  85. Nov 21, 2014
    A masterpiece of gaming, Dragon Age: Origins is one of the best RPG games in history. From the start, you are pulled in to a unique and irresistible story line filled with unique and well-written companions and NPCs. Your choices can make all the difference in DAO, and never feels contrived. From the beginning to the end of the game, you will feel totally immersed in the Kingdom ofA masterpiece of gaming, Dragon Age: Origins is one of the best RPG games in history. From the start, you are pulled in to a unique and irresistible story line filled with unique and well-written companions and NPCs. Your choices can make all the difference in DAO, and never feels contrived. From the beginning to the end of the game, you will feel totally immersed in the Kingdom of Fereldon.

Pros:

-Solid plot and story arc
    -Exceptionally well written companions, with ample opportunity for character development
    -User decisions have real effect on the game
    -"Thought provoking" plot with many excellent commentaries on present day issues
    -Ability to experience several different locations/settings
    -Ability to have your experience shaped by user origin--your character's history has some impact on the game

Cons:

-No main character voice-over
    -Clunky crafting system

This game should be on any gamer's "must play" list!
  86. May 25, 2012
    One of my favorite games of all time, with amazing depth and story. I've revisited it a couple of times with some of the mods created by the community to keep it fresh. (Thanks for "Skip the Fade" mod!) The voice acting and storytelling are truly top-notch, and I actually cared for the characters. It's unfortunate that DA2 was such a letdown, being the Phantom Menace to DA:O's EmpireOne of my favorite games of all time, with amazing depth and story. I've revisited it a couple of times with some of the mods created by the community to keep it fresh. (Thanks for "Skip the Fade" mod!) The voice acting and storytelling are truly top-notch, and I actually cared for the characters. It's unfortunate that DA2 was such a letdown, being the Phantom Menace to DA:O's Empire Strikes Back that leaves a taint. Expand
  87. Jul 31, 2011
    Definitely a worthy unofficial successor to the Baldur's Gate series although it limits the open-worldness of BG. Had a blast with the story/choices you can make in the game as well as the graphical detail/smoothness of gameplay. The combat was varied and the decisions you make while paused actually matters. NPC reactions were often pretty well designed although I am very disappointedDefinitely a worthy unofficial successor to the Baldur's Gate series although it limits the open-worldness of BG. Had a blast with the story/choices you can make in the game as well as the graphical detail/smoothness of gameplay. The combat was varied and the decisions you make while paused actually matters. NPC reactions were often pretty well designed although I am very disappointed that Bioware decided to add "mission boards" for the side quests instead of promoting exploration. AI has also been improved from their previous games as well. Expand
  88. Oct 30, 2011
    I don't normally like linear and scripted RPG's but this turned out to be very well written and entertaining. The combat was fun and changing the party make up provided refreshingly different play styles. Combat scripting was nice to have but it was even better to have a pause option and micro manage each battle if you wanted to. I really couldn't put this game down until I finished it.
  89. Nov 2, 2013
    Simply one of the best role playing computer games ever made, a fascinating world that sucks you in with superbly realized characters and a great game mechanic. One of Bioware's best, and that's saying something,
  90. Nov 10, 2011
    Could not stop playing it till i beat it 3 or 4 times. I had to see every ending, every corner of the game. it was so immersive. I can't really think of another game that I felt as compelled to play.
  91. Nov 12, 2011
    Amazing game, sadly the follow up, Dragon age 2 was horrible.. : ( I wish they had spent a year or so longer developing the second game and insured that it would be just as good as the first one
  92. Nov 23, 2011
    Excellent RPG, I rank this game up there with the first Neverwinter Nights. It's also cheap enough now where you can pick up the expansion and all the DLC for a reasonable price. Give it a try, I would be very surprised if you come away disappointed.
  93. HD3
    Dec 16, 2011
    Excellent game, the combat system is wide and varied, challenging but rarely frustrating, The enviroments are rich and well developed and a surprisingly rich plot with lots of character development which is lacking in a lot of other WRPGs. So refreshing to see a WRPG where the narrative is treated with as much care as the gameplay and enviroment. A guranteed crowd pleaser.
  94. Apr 9, 2012
    Epic rpg, great story, great combat, BW hit it out of the park. Its one that you need to think taticly with every member of your squad.One unique feature is the ability to play as one of your companions, additionally as experience yo set the actions off your team to take.
  95. Oct 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dragon Age: Origin thrusts you into a brand new fantasy world, on that borrows from some of the greatest series the fantasy genre has to offer, and blends them into a perfect game. You are a Grey Warden, warriors from all corners of the world, from all races, and all talents, to fight the blight, where thousands of Darkspawn and other horrid monsters serve the Archdemon, and the only ones that can kill an Archdemon; are the Grey Wardens.

Incredible characters and story, make this game personal. All the characters are well thought out, and unique, and all have special abilities. The story is engrossing, and you choose from one of six origin stories: Human Noble, Circle Mage, Dwarven noble, Dwarven commoner, City Elf, and Dalish Elf. All origin stories are different, and effect the way characters treat you.

Gameplay, is for the most part, great. You can choose to be a Warrior, Rogue, or Mage, and all are very different and fun to play.

The graphics, aren't very good. There are mods that make it look better, and it looks fine without mods, but it's not Battlefield 3.

Overall, the story, characters, gameplay, and world make this game a must have. And through multiple playthroughs, the mainquest, sidequests, and deeds, you will spend hundreds of hours on this game.
  96. Mar 23, 2012
    Awesome game is awesome, the combat was a bit slow and your characterr beeing mute is a bit awkward from time to time, but the story and companions is well written.
  97. Mar 28, 2012
    A perfect ten for me -- Dragon Age: Origins is probably the best game I have ever played, at least since the 1980s; at least as good as Neverwinter Nights if not even better. I don't know a way to put it other than an enormous RPGasm of truly epic proportions that virtually never ends: when you feel you must be reaching the end of the humongous game, you're not even a third into it.

There

There is all the flexibility you expect from an RPG and replay value that is simply ridiculous: you can play the game several times and get truly different stories. The bang for the buck you get from Dragon Age: Origins is simply unheard of in an RPG. By the standards of contemporary games, the graphics are far from impressive. The game is so good it doesn't matter.
  98. Apr 2, 2012
    The last RPG made by Bioware. This game truly worth for "Baldur's Gate's spiritual successor" title. It is hard to understand how Bioware could make a disaster like Dragon Age 2 after this piece of art. Dragon Age: Origins addresses both RPG veterans and newbies. I strongly recommend this game to all gamers.
  99. Nov 19, 2014
    This game is probably the last of the Bioware’s RPG legacy slowly corrode by Mass Effect saga and finally lost in Dragon Age 2, I hope Inquisition would return to that legacy but meanwhile Origins is the last "Canon-RPG". Unlike ARPGs as The Witcher, Skyrim, Divinity II and above (great games but in other category), in Origins you use your stats to fight, not your ability withThis game is probably the last of the Bioware’s RPG legacy slowly corrode by Mass Effect saga and finally lost in Dragon Age 2, I hope Inquisition would return to that legacy but meanwhile Origins is the last "Canon-RPG". Unlike ARPGs as The Witcher, Skyrim, Divinity II and above (great games but in other category), in Origins you use your stats to fight, not your ability with keyboard/mouse, you can like or hate this, but is only the system, and Origins is the best in this system. So, we already have dozens of good ARPGs to play, Origins is the last of its kind. Expand
  100. Jul 22, 2012
    Best thing about Dragon Age is the Neverwinter/Baldurs feel and gameplay but with its own unique style. Love the story and the characters i agree with some of the other users that their criticsims are off target!!! Would recommend and is among my top 10

1. If you're into rpgs, or rather if you love roleplaying in general, there's really no need to waste time reading any reviews of this game. The same goes if you regard games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 and the Baldurs Gate-series among the best computer games ever made. Because this game is everything a person like you look for in a game, and so much more. Be aware though, Dragon Age: Origins is not a revolution of the genre, rather it is an evolution, where Bioware has refined everything that made them into a formula as close to perfection as possible. Without a doubt one of the strongest Game of the year-candidates so far this year and a game we will remember with warm feelings many years to come.
  2. PC Gamer
    An outstanding story-driven RPG with fantastic writing, RPG depth and tough tactical combat. It's BioWare's best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. [Holiday 2009, p.38]
  3. Dragon Age Origins will keep you in front of your computer for hours! Graphics, sounds and the controls couldn’t be much better!