8.7

1. Mar 13, 2011
    A game worthy of my time. A great story coupled with some awesome character interactions and a not so simple combat system.

The game is only made better with the release of its sequel.
  2. mpr
    May 31, 2011
    Very good RPG, an improvement to its already good predecessor Neverwinter Nights, yet still a notch below its venerable ancestor Baldur's Gate. I've enjoyed playing the 100+ hours it took me to fully explore the game.
  3. May 13, 2013
    It's tough that I can only give either an 8 or 9, because Ideally i'd land Dragons age: origins half way in between.

It's really a fantastic effort and hats off must go to Bioware. It does virtually all of the things a fan of true RPG would wish for. For me, the game is held back only by a small list of minor concerns, which I will mention at the end. Story: What I loved most of all

Story: What I loved most of all about the game was the story: bioware have always been very good at throwing the player right into an exciting opening sequence, and the this game did just this for me. It immediately gave you purchase in the world and some of the contexts, and left you emotionally invested at a very early stage. The pace didn't slow at all with Ostagar, and only when you are thrown off onto your quest with companions in tow, was there any time to take a step back. These opening scenes did a great job of making the player feel integral to the world and story and feel invested in the character.

The world: Yes I loved this take on the high fantasy template, but perhaps felt that it could have been tailored more to differentiate it from the human-elf-dwarf models that proliferate elsewhere. This said, the game abounds with lore which brings the world to life through interaction with others and through the player codex.

Character: To me, a very interesting and deep character creation system, with numerous different paths which affect the beginning of the game, as well as its development. One thing I'd say of the character model: I must prefer games where voice acting is recorded for the player. I feel that in games like the Witcher, this really brought the character to life in full colour. It worked also in Bioware's Mass Effect, which had cinematic value because the dialogue wheel was only a rough outline of what your character would say. I prefer it when your character talks and is brought to life, but each to his own.

Dialogue: The voice acting for NPC's was brilliant it felt professional and well delivered. I liked the relationship development system very much, and it made you like some companions, dislike others, and choose to build relationships accordingly. One criticism would be that sometimes available dialogue would loop a bit. E.g When a certain character gave me a ring. Next time I talked to me, she gave me the same ring again. and the next time. She eventually stopped, thank god. Another thing was that, I, awful person that I am, strung two ladies along at the same time. Unfortunately, after a certain point every time I tried talking to one of them, she came out with the exact same speech digging into me, as if we had never had the conversation before. Needless to say I started to avoid her.

Environments: Very varied and interesting environments brought the game to life and keep it feel fresh and exciting. My only gripe would be that enough was not done to make urban environments immersive. Unlike a bethesda title or the witcher, cities did not feel really lived in, dynamic or bustling. As a result places never buzzed with atmosphere, particularly. I would have liked some 'basic needs' implementation, such as ability to eat drink, sleep etc, rent a room to recover more fully than camping i wilderness, etc.

Combat: I really got a lot of satisfaction out of this combat system which mixes manual and automatic RPG elements. I felt the combat never quite touched the utter addictiveness of combat in say, KOTOR, but then bioware had more types of combat possibilities to address. There's a range of abilities and powers which can really bring combat scenes to life in a brilliant way.

Graphics: On my pc, the game looked lovely lovely, for a 2009 game. I ran on medium specs and I was happy with that. I admired little touches such as the splashes of blood after a battle.

Difficulty: Now for my only significant gripe. The difficultly of the game never felt consistent. Lots of the game is a cakewalk, but then you hit a fight which is almost literally 6 times harder. And not all these hard parts were bosses, some were just bandit fights where there were just too many. In contrast the games final battle, whilst hard, was not as hard as some mid-late battles. At points, I had no choice but to switch to easy mode, so punishingly hard were these bits. Now, some of this can be put down to tactics and party composition fair, mine may have been rubbish. But there's a slight danger that with so many combat variables, it can be too 'elitist' in the sense of not accessible to newcomers to the genre.

These were my main points. Overall, you have an addictive compelling story which you won't want to end. I feel 'mean' to only give it an 8, but I feel that the game could have done with a bit more 'heart' to make its environments more immersive and make you want to spend time there for the sake of it.

For me, on to Dragon Age 2! I'm sad that it doesn't contain the same characters but that's always a sign of a sucessfull game, right?
  4. Mar 14, 2011
    It's like a sexy blend of Mass Effect 2 and Baldur's gate. I had a great deal of fun and even replayed it two more times. I do think that the love scenes felt awkward to the point of silliness, but I did appreciate some of the humor your team would have as you walk around.
  5. Mar 25, 2011
    Dragon Age: Origins is what Bioware do best. I found the story interesting, and after around 90 hours of gameplay I finished the main story and probably about half the side quests. There is also a high re-playability value to the game, with three different classes all having different specialisation, many choices that can affect things later in the game and several starting stories forDragon Age: Origins is what Bioware do best. I found the story interesting, and after around 90 hours of gameplay I finished the main story and probably about half the side quests. There is also a high re-playability value to the game, with three different classes all having different specialisation, many choices that can affect things later in the game and several starting stories for your character to choose from. Graphically, it is acceptable but certainly not revolutionary. Many of the NPC's look the same and often lacking any real facial expressions. You get around seven companions to choose from, and whilst some of them are memorable and well written and voice acted, some sadly are not, but the beauty of a game like this is you can pick which companions to take along on your adventures and which ones you want to get to know better. The banter you get as you travel is at times entertaining. Combat is fun, but for a new comer to the genre or an inexperienced gamer it can be daunting. It takes a good while to learn how to play to each of the classes strengths and how to successfully set up each companion's tactic list properly. Even after doing so though, micro-management is important especially on higher levels. Overall, Dragon Age: Origins is tremendous value for money for a single player game and definitely worth a punt for all RPG fans and newcomers to the genre alike, especially now the Ultimate Edition has been released, which includes the original title, Awakenings and all nine DLC packs. Expand
  6. Jul 8, 2011
    This is my favourite RPG of this generation. Incredible and memorable characters (I adore the interactions between some of them, especially between Morrigan and the rest of the team) , an immersing and coherent fiction world, a very well constructed narration with a lot of options to choose, an interesting combat system, and a lot of other virtues. It's really the successor of Baldur'sThis is my favourite RPG of this generation. Incredible and memorable characters (I adore the interactions between some of them, especially between Morrigan and the rest of the team) , an immersing and coherent fiction world, a very well constructed narration with a lot of options to choose, an interesting combat system, and a lot of other virtues. It's really the successor of Baldur's Gate, adapted to nowadays (more cinematics, a little more agile combat system,...). I've played all the origins stories, and i have repeated some of them, the replayability is so high!!! If only the "sequel" had been the half of it... Expand
  7. Dec 24, 2012
    I really like this game, a lot. It has a huge, and I mean HUGE replay value, with 3 deep classes, 3 different races to choose with choices of origins, which changes the story of your game and, even if small, the details change during your gameplay, even from your current gender. The story is interesting and has a lot of background that incites you to research for history, but also niceI really like this game, a lot. It has a huge, and I mean HUGE replay value, with 3 deep classes, 3 different races to choose with choices of origins, which changes the story of your game and, even if small, the details change during your gameplay, even from your current gender. The story is interesting and has a lot of background that incites you to research for history, but also nice turns and your choices will change some parts and even your party (some characters may or may not join you depending on what you will choose). However, there are quite some flaws that I couldn't skip or just avoid and that, sadly, annoyed me to no end. One small thing i want to add also is this: this game is impressive on the pc...but I firstly bought on the xbox and, unfortunely, the port to console is butchered in comparison, removing most of the details and slots of your skills, making it more an action game than a tactical rpg game. So, in short, if you're interested to this game, buy it on the pc...if your pc cannot run it, I highly suggest to avoid it, and here comes the flaws...and one of them is the combat. The game is an hybrid of action and strategy game (you can either control your character directly with your keyboard, or with an upper view like a strategy game) and it's not badly implemented at all...but the issues come once you have to do complicated fights, in which case you'll need to issue tactics (automatic orders) or give yourself orders using the pause button...but here's the problem, the AI in your control is horrible. I had my team doing few specific orders and yet they couldn't follow one properly! Whenever I told them to attack, they would stand still, and whenever they were supposed to attack or to heal, they would do nothing at all! I know in strategy games the orders are always constant but even the pre-set orders just don't work at all (and while on the console is kinda understandable, on the pc it should be working flawlessly). Also, the game is very limited in both freedom and enviroment: you have a map of the region and you can only visit certain locations, which will become more the more you play, but the game has a lot of secondary stuff and actions to do: you can create potions, traps and do also secondary quests...but there's no way to grind or farm those items and even the items you can buy will eventually finish, killing that sense of freedom that games like Oblivion or Skyrim has. The enviroment is far too limited too, infact you can't jump, swim, and you can only interact with certain items and people. I would mind too much if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of parts are on hills and such and you'll sense this limitation on your actions, Another limitations, not exactly small but I found it irritating, is the team itself. You have 4 people in your team, with your character as a predefinite and 3 more to add. The game has a sort of trinity system, with a tank, healer and dps scheme, and so even your group requires balance...which will limit, again, your team, because 2 of those 4 slots will be ALWAYS meant for a tank or a healer (or else 1, for a healer, which is a must). Unless you're one of those, you will be limited to add only 2 more members...and one of those will be a rogue, because it's the only class who can unlock chests and some doors, which even if they don't give much in items they will give you experience and since this game has no experience grind, it feels like a loss (infact, as a rogue, I had an higher level when I reached the same parts as my warrior or mage). I have more complain now, but it's rather personal...and it's the difficulty, which is very VERY unbalanced. I usually try to play games on normal difficulty but, since I'm lazy, I also play on easy. However, in this game , I could NOT pass over some early stages of the game on normal difficulty because they were just too hard, with enemies who could easily obliterate you and after playing not even 1 hour in! (and if you add the issues with the AI, you'll have big problems later on too). I probably just suck at this game but I do have to add one thing: I had the same difficulty issues in almost all Bioware games and so I really can't say it's just me, but I thought to add at least this detail, but all in all I still love this game and the huge amount of story driven choices, as well the huge background and great morality choices, it's one of those games that will make people enjoy each playthrough and even if flawed the game is just great and still detailed in some regards. I highly suggest to play, at least one playthrough, and in case you'll enjoy it even more, you'll have plenty of ways to restart the game, without countless hours of replay value at your disposal, even after 4 years of its release. Expand
  8. Apr 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At the time I started playing Dragon Age: Origins, I was a little sick of bloody, gore-filled games with depressing apocalyptic environments and was looking for something different. So it was suprising that despite the characters spending most of the game completely spattered with blood, and trudging through swamps, ruins, caves and cities on fire, I really did enjoy this game. The voice acting and characters are second-to-none, to the point that I went back and played the whole 100+ hours all over again straight away solely so I could seduce Alistair, and find out what that demon baby thing was all about. Well played, EA, not many games can boast that XD Particularly as voice acting can be a game killer for me (it's what ruined Champions online for me), and I was so extremely impressed with the talent in this game. Expand
  9. May 1, 2011
    I don't finish a lot of games but I loved Dragon Age. Awesome story that never had be bumping up against the edges of the game world. Lots of fun paths to take.
    Controlling combat in frozen time or letting your crew attack with a tactic set was fun both ways, I usually did a little of both.
    Best game of past 5 years IMO.
  10. Apr 5, 2013
    I absolutely loved this game, I spent over 1200 hours playing it and played all the origins possible. I also tried out loads of the user created mods and they added even more enjoyment. I bought all the dlc which was a bit 'meh' compared to the actual game and mods.
    Im going to give this game a 10 cause I still love going back for my DAO fix. Love the happy ending too. Didnt like the gross armours for women and mages but can't have everything)
  11. May 18, 2011
    A classic game that I will be replaying every few years for decades to come. The story, the characters, the setting... everything about this game impressed me and brought me back to the RPGs of a decade ago in spirit and in reality. If you haven't tried it yet, go out and get it!
  12. May 22, 2011
    Interesting dialogs and lore, ell-written scenario, classic rpg-style fighting and generally an almost perfect game whick took me more than 80 hours to finish (incl. the DLC). If only there weren't so many bugs.
  13. May 30, 2011
    This is what a game should be- you felt fully immersed, as though your decisions mattered. The Companions felt like thinking feeling people in that world. The combat wasn't as engaging as it could have been, but otherwise this is a great game, and a great modding community make it even better.
  14. Jun 1, 2011
    Bioware has created a truly magnificent Fantasy world with many contents within. The Story absolute divine and outlandishly good. The graphics and animations are fairly decent with games of that year and the combat is very unique and great. The only downside this game is that because so much Micromanaging is required for battles, hour-long dungeons can be incredibly repetitive and somewhatBioware has created a truly magnificent Fantasy world with many contents within. The Story absolute divine and outlandishly good. The graphics and animations are fairly decent with games of that year and the combat is very unique and great. The only downside this game is that because so much Micromanaging is required for battles, hour-long dungeons can be incredibly repetitive and somewhat boring. Overall Dragon Age Origins is an amazing video game and a must to RPG enthusists. The last time I had so much fun playing an RPG game was the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Baldur's Gate 2. Bioware has delivered us a well made, polished game. Expand
  15. Aug 30, 2011
    Not the size nor the scenarii of a neverwinter night (1 or 2) but a good successor. Classes are simple but complex,the game system is nearly perfect, difficulty is challeging. The universe is deep and dark. The inherited tactical pause is very appreciable. A must play, for every RPG or D&D fan.
  16. Sep 16, 2011
    It's a typical BioWare's game, and it means tahat game is very good. It's hard - but hard in friendly way. It's generic - but depsite og this, it's still interesting.
  17. Dec 22, 2011
    One of Biowares best pieces of work. A must for any RPG fan. Sadly I am not greatly into fantasy games so did struggle at some points to enjoy it and did reroll a few times. It is great though because of the story, characters and I can understand how it is such a good game- although I do prefer sci fi.
  18. Mar 3, 2012
    Bioware has created a solid dark fantasy RPG in Dragon Age: Origins but it lacks polish and has some fiendishly difficult battles which holds it back from true greatness.
  19. Mar 5, 2013
    One of the best RPGs in the last decade. The only disappointing part are the graphics, but the most important part (the storyline) is quite good, the combat is good as well (but not spectacular). If you enjoy fantasy RPGs, you'll almost certainly enjoy this one.
  20. Jan 6, 2015
    From the creators of Mass Effect,we got a same caliber game in a medieval fantasy world.
    Awesome single-player RPG experience,with epic story and loveable characters.
    This game feels like its an alive real world.
    Must have for a hardcore RPG fan!
  21. Dec 25, 2014
    Best game of the series, 9.5 / 10. Good story, good characters, good gameplay. The tactical camera is a very nice feature, it allows you to pause time and assign specific orders to each character.
  22. Dec 13, 2012
    Excellent story-driven WRPG that gets bogged down by poor pacing. While the characters and storyline are generally very good, certain areas get tedious to slog through (especially Orzammar & The Deep Roads) and become a chore to finish. There are plenty of game-changing decisions to make, adding thorough replay value, but some seem like no brainers for me (who would ever side with theExcellent story-driven WRPG that gets bogged down by poor pacing. While the characters and storyline are generally very good, certain areas get tedious to slog through (especially Orzammar & The Deep Roads) and become a chore to finish. There are plenty of game-changing decisions to make, adding thorough replay value, but some seem like no brainers for me (who would ever side with the werewolves other than to be edgy?). There are the typical Bioware romance options and "do a tutorial & intro then go to three areas and then fight the big bad boss" gameplay structure but overall this is a lengthy, memorable campaign that RPG fans should invest their time in. Expand
  23. Oct 31, 2012
    This game was amazing, I think I got completely lost in the world when I played it, it takes a good while to get into it and get past the first few quests but once you do its amazing and I couldn't stop, the Dialogue is great and the cinematic's are brilliant too, its highly underrated and I assume most people gave up 20 mins into it, I think its a bit weak at the start but as you go onThis game was amazing, I think I got completely lost in the world when I played it, it takes a good while to get into it and get past the first few quests but once you do its amazing and I couldn't stop, the Dialogue is great and the cinematic's are brilliant too, its highly underrated and I assume most people gave up 20 mins into it, I think its a bit weak at the start but as you go on the game gets so much better, I loved the story and interaction, Great Game! Expand
  24. Dec 5, 2012
    Best RPG of the year. Amazing story, incredible graphics, and a wide variety of side quests makes this game a lengthy one, minimum of 30 hours of game play. It has a lot of replay value, due to its different beginnings and endings as well.
  25. Feb 23, 2014
    There very first word on my mind is: "wow". I have just finished it for the first time and I am quite satisfied. Great game, and even after 4 years still very playable. I was sceptic at the beginning, but soon I find out that DA:O is really fantastic. Gameplay is nice, tactical and full of action, voice-acting is one of the best in pc games, characters are amazing, and You can really getThere very first word on my mind is: "wow". I have just finished it for the first time and I am quite satisfied. Great game, and even after 4 years still very playable. I was sceptic at the beginning, but soon I find out that DA:O is really fantastic. Gameplay is nice, tactical and full of action, voice-acting is one of the best in pc games, characters are amazing, and You can really get on with them, music is also great. Plot, even though it is classic world saving, have many deep twists and it is not simple with moral issues. I am touched. Every good rpg fun should really try it. This game is not a disappointment, maybe it is not Baldur or Icewind but still one peace of a great, long, interesting game. Expand
  26. Jun 2, 2013
    This game is AMAZING. I recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy. It is epic! I would of rated it a 10, but after you finish the game, its done. You can't explore or visit the places you were throughout the game, so you have to stay at camp or BUY new campaigns. Other than that I LOVE it!
  27. Jun 18, 2013
    9/10 Fantastic Game only minor flaws can be found in this game in my experience

So I loved this game. The story, character development, quests, combat, spells, they were all extremely well done. I highly recommend this game to anyone who is looking to spend quite a few hours in a single player RPG. minor flaws: I found the quest markers to be less visible than I would have liked. In
    9/10 Fantastic Game only minor flaws can be found in this game in my experience

minor flaws: I found the quest markers to be less visible than I would have liked. In WoW quests seemed easier to come by and I found that system better, but Dragon age does a competent job in this area. My second beef with this game is that an archer rogue misses 4/5ths of the shots taken when fighting a high level enemy. This is dumb and they fixed it in the awakenings expansion but I think that the patch should have crossed over in the first place to fix the origins characters as well.
  28. Jun 25, 2013
    Dragon Age is without a doubt one the best modern RPG games. It has exceptionally strong story and good character design. You also get constant feeling of desperation and imminent doom as the story progresses. The game is also more realistic than NWN series and geared more toward mature audiences. This also shows in difficulty level which can at first be notable.

My main (and relatively

My main (and relatively minor) problem with this game is the character development system, which is dumbed down from NWN. I personally liked NWNs D&D (Dungeons & dragons) system and character classes (which could be combined quite freely) very much. I do realize, however, that for most player this system didn't give any added value and is overly complicated when targeting larger audiences.

One thing to mention is that the game is exceptional long by modern standards. It gives easily 40-50 hours of playtime. Maybe even more depending on your play style. All in all, it's an exceptional game and offers really good value for your money.
  29. Dec 26, 2014
    epic game with great subplot's , I got kinda burnt out by the time I reached ozzamar but with the interesting npc cutscene's and the ability to play thru as many types of personalities , cant say enough about this game
  30. Dec 10, 2013
    I gave Dragon Age Origins a 9 for the simple reason that it uses the same combat system we all know and love. This game allows you to do so much more than most games of its type. It may not have the open world game play, but it certainly isn't confined to a tiny plot of land to explore and fight in. I have spent about 250 hours playing it and i'm still finding new secrets and even a fewI gave Dragon Age Origins a 9 for the simple reason that it uses the same combat system we all know and love. This game allows you to do so much more than most games of its type. It may not have the open world game play, but it certainly isn't confined to a tiny plot of land to explore and fight in. I have spent about 250 hours playing it and i'm still finding new secrets and even a few quests. It offers days of game play and then some. The graphics could be better, but they still allow you the feel of the fantasy world. The cut scenes really explain what's going on so you're not left wondering what's going on. The movement of your character is very smooth and realistic. It doesn't just turn you around suddenly, it allows you to actually see your character turn to the side. The game over-all has had a lot of detail put into it and continues to surprise me. I recommend purchasing a copy for yourself in the Steam store. Expand
  31. Jan 20, 2014
    I don't usually recommend or review games on here, but when I do, they're games that are worth the time and effort.
    Dragon Age: Origins may be from 2009, and the graphics have evolved and improved a lot since then, but damn, this game is amazing in every way.

First off, since it's an RPG game, you can build your "hero" just the way you want him/her to be. From race, gender, background story, classes, and more.

And then there's the main component of the game: the gameplay is fun, diverse and challenging, the world is mythical and really gives you an epic feeling, and by the end of the game you'll be left off with a feeling that you need to replay it and try everything you hadn't tried out before. You'll want to try out being evil or good, generous or selfish, kind or rude, it's all up to you. The choices you make impact certain events of the game, and the choices you make can have dire consequences as well. So choose wisely who to side with, and consider your options.

The negative aspect of the game, though, is that it can be pretty linear, and some areas are reused. The graphics are a little outdated, but it shouldn't matter. It still looks great with certain mods that can easily be implemented.

Overall I highly recommend this game if you love RPG and are looking for an epic story and fun gameplay.
  32. Dec 27, 2013
    The game has a very good story and great characters, but it somehow lacks immersion, because it's too linear for an RPG and the graphics are a weird mix of good looking characters, bad animations and terrible world textures. It also has a TON of bugs. Random crashes, quests that can't be completed.
    The interface and controls are average at best, even Baldur's Gate made some things better and that was more than ten years ago.

In the end it's a weird mix of very good and very bad aspects and even though it is a good game, for me it lacks the love for details required to be considered great and I guess E.A.'s influence is to blame for that.
  33. Dec 12, 2014
    I'm so glad I played this game before DA:I. The storyline is fantastic, characters as well (Morrigan i love u), and whether graphics and combat may seem a little outdated, the game is still wonderful and very addicting.
  34. Aug 22, 2010
    This is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Sadly, many Bethesda fanboys will rate it as a 1 or 0 simply because it does not have the exact same aspects and gameplay as a Bethesda game. I know I will get many "not helpfuls" for this but I'm gonna go ahead and say it. Oblivion is garbage. Complete and utter trash. It has the worst leveling system of any game I've ever seen and the combatThis is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Sadly, many Bethesda fanboys will rate it as a 1 or 0 simply because it does not have the exact same aspects and gameplay as a Bethesda game. I know I will get many "not helpfuls" for this but I'm gonna go ahead and say it. Oblivion is garbage. Complete and utter trash. It has the worst leveling system of any game I've ever seen and the combat is boring and repetitive. The story is also more cliche than even this game. Fallout was a little better, but Bethesda is not the topic at hand. This game has excellent combat, hundreds of possible conversation permutations, a story that might not be the most original, but is at least somewhat compelling, and for the most part, good voice acting. Some people dislike the combat, which is understandable. This is not a game that can be played in real time. If you want to be successful in this game past the easy difficulty, then a very good amount of time will be spent in the pause screen queueing up attacks for your 4 party members to carry out at once. Each fight feels a little different and must be tackled with a strategy appropriate for the enemy you're facing. As stated earlier, the story itself is rather cliche, but the characters and the game world make up for it. The only thing that I could possibly see as a negative is the lack of an outside world to roam around in, which isn't always a bad thing, and should be expected from a bioware release. Travel is basically instant, and you always end up going where you originally intended to go. Oh yeah, @RichardS, no. Just because YOU cannot play the game above the easy difficulty setting does not mean this game is incomplete. "Babysitting your team" is how the game is designed. You are not playing one character, you are playing four. The description of the easy setting even states "best for players who expect to play in real time." If you can't handle that, I guess you're simply not intelligent enough for this game. It's not the developer's fault you wasted your money on a game you're too stupid to play. Expand
  35. Jul 12, 2011
    BioWare is one of few studios I trust. Why? This game is why; with a great story line, a wonderful gameplay mechanics and an overall beautiful looking game. Dragon Age: Origins is the reason why I spent an entire summer vacation in front of my computer! I invite everyone to share the epic-ness that is, Dragon Age: Origins!
  36. Aug 2, 2012
    It may be cliched with fairly unoriginal characters, but DA:O does almost everything right. The journey is so completely involved and compelling that one can't help but ignore the fact that this is the umpteenth time this story has been told. Giving the player this many options to play it out makes up for the generic villians- a true RPG incarnation if there ever was one. It has thatIt may be cliched with fairly unoriginal characters, but DA:O does almost everything right. The journey is so completely involved and compelling that one can't help but ignore the fact that this is the umpteenth time this story has been told. Giving the player this many options to play it out makes up for the generic villians- a true RPG incarnation if there ever was one. It has that "epic" feel to it that helps overcome what problems it has, in my experience matched only by Skyrim. The Ultimate Edition is a superb value, and even someone who is usually very averse to fantasy games like myself fell in love with Dragon Age. I highly recommend it. Expand
  37. May 5, 2013
    Hands down this is the greatest game ever. I love the story, the people in it and the gameplay. It is easy to level up. It is well thought out so the different choices you make actually do make a difference. Love it. Loved 2 cannot wait for 3.
  38. May 9, 2016
    Capturing that old Baldur’s Gate feel was goal number one for Dragon Age, and it comes pretty close. Ferelden evokes much of the Forgotten Realms without feeling like a rehash, and your relationship with your team has that old BioWare magic. The darkspawn feel like the kind of world-consuming threat that demands our attention, even if most of them are faceless hunks of evil for us to cutCapturing that old Baldur’s Gate feel was goal number one for Dragon Age, and it comes pretty close. Ferelden evokes much of the Forgotten Realms without feeling like a rehash, and your relationship with your team has that old BioWare magic. The darkspawn feel like the kind of world-consuming threat that demands our attention, even if most of them are faceless hunks of evil for us to cut down. I love how Dragon Age treats magic in its world, in particular the quests that force you to choose how to best handle abominations, the result of a renegade mage succombing to demonic possession.

But it’s the combat that feels most familiar, and most fun: the satisfying tactical depth of pausing your combat, issuing orders, and reacting to the results works like a modern Infinity Engine game should. It’s sad that BioWare will never make an RPG like this again-Dragon Age 2 was too streamlined, and Inquisition’s moving toward a more open world- so in many ways, this is the last hurrah for the old BioWare, and a fitting end for its classic design.
  39. JacobK.
    Nov 3, 2009
    Simply, it is on any real RPG fans top 10, even if it is 10 you will find it there, most people with personalities will find it fully enjoyable for many months (and years for me) to come. And with the addition of DLC's, it can only get better. Endings are some of the best by the way. Good work Bioware.
  40. Mar 18, 2011
    Its rly solid RPG, with good story, side quests are good, companion quests are also good, love that classic fighting like it was in baldurs and nwn, gave it 9 just because graphics could be a little better,everything else is great.
  41. Aug 13, 2014
    The only thing I don't like about this game is the combat animations. Anyone swinging a two handed weapon looks absolutely ridiculous. But everything else in this game is a solid 10. Except maybe the dialog system. Your character never speaks ala Mass Effect. Instead you pick full text responses to everything. Which is ok, just could be better.

While some criticize Dragon Age Origins as

While some criticize Dragon Age Origins as being an RPG-lite experience, I really don't care. Yes it's not Skyrim with an infinite world to explore but the leveling system is hands down better. It's very similar to major mmo rpgs with talent trees and 5 base stats to level. It's not really balanced but being single player it doesn't need to be. Variety is fun, trying different things with all the classes is fun. The items also leave a bit to be desired as some really low level items have +damage on them which makes them better than items 10 levels higher. It just seems off and could use a few tweaks but it's not bad by any means.

Even though the world is not open it's still plenty large and the story line is amazing. And it's all propped up by rich backstory and development of the world. You really feel like Ferelden is a very real place with all it's history and imperfections.

If you haven't played this game you really just have to try it. You will not regret it.
  42. ChinaZ
    Nov 10, 2009
    Well optimized, the quality of the game is 9, good job QA(except for the limited faces in-game(i often find lookalikes)). But the desing is 8.. and i always care about the content. It could have been more.. but the limited options in-game destroy the nice dialogues. And the lore, bleah, it's weak in parts.
  43. EdgarL
    Nov 9, 2009
    Think Mass Effect meets the Witcher. Although not without any missteps, BioWare have shown they can reach new levels of quality with each of their games. From its witty writing, lovable quirky characters and its fully fleshed-out folklore to the game-changing moral choices, Dragon Age oozes quality: and boy, does it SO NOT lack quantity. Anyone doing at least a portion of side-quests will Think Mass Effect meets the Witcher. Although not without any missteps, BioWare have shown they can reach new levels of quality with each of their games. From its witty writing, lovable quirky characters and its fully fleshed-out folklore to the game-changing moral choices, Dragon Age oozes quality: and boy, does it SO NOT lack quantity. Anyone doing at least a portion of side-quests will easily clock at least 100 hours: mind you, this is not due to repetitiveness of side-quests (nor quests), or having to travel a lot; it's because the game isn't very easy, even on Easy. And make no mistake, if there's a tough fight, you'll definitely be pausing the game A LOT to micro-manage your troops. Not that it's very hard once you get the hang of it: around level 10 your party of 4 should start having very little trouble dispatching groups of up to 10 enemies. However, up till the point where you manage to find the right choice of spells and skills to utilize in action, the Normal difficulty level can provide considerable challenge. As far as eye-candy goes, even if the visuals aren't as crisp as in most other so called "next-gen" AAA titles, that's because BioWare has definitely managed to optimize their use of Unreal Engine since Mass Effect. Rest assured, the game will run even on low-end machines. If you liked any of previous BioWare games, any of the KotOR games, The Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3, you'll probably like this one. Expand
  44. Mike
    Dec 7, 2009
    This is the best game i´ve played since KotOR. The storyline is entertaining, the cutscenes are AMAZING, the characters are interesting. It´s a way better game than Oblivion or Assassin's Creed - every place in the world has a meaning and history. Bioware created a fascinating world. I don´t understand how people can say this is a bad game - I undertand that you This is the best game i´ve played since KotOR. The storyline is entertaining, the cutscenes are AMAZING, the characters are interesting. It´s a way better game than Oblivion or Assassin's Creed - every place in the world has a meaning and history. Bioware created a fascinating world. I don´t understand how people can say this is a bad game - I undertand that you don´t like it because it´s a slowed based game, but it´s definately not bad. 10/10 Expand
  45. BalerianF
    Dec 7, 2009
    This game was by far one of the best RPG's that I have played to date. I am very impressed with its questing, witty banter and most importantly overall gameplay.
  46. May 28, 2011
    Dragon Age: Origins is a huge, deep computer RPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate that every fan of hardcore RPGs should play. However, the game design, story and setting lack originality. The "origins" aspect of the game is novel, but it seems underdeveloped. Although the game is solid overall, it seems to lack polish and it does nothing to expand upon the RPG genre.
  47. May 17, 2011
    Not going to go too in depth but basically this is a great game.
    Characters, voice acting, the progression is very good. Why did Bioware delve into DA2 when they had such a good foundation? But I digress, probably the worst parts were the optimization, the colors, the weird "filter" on everything. The music was okay but eh.

Overall I might play it again.
  48. Jan 14, 2015
    A testament to the old BioWare's epic storytelling and ability to create an immersive and captivating world like no other in the industry. You're immediately drawn in, with the Origins prologue making it feel like it's your story, your world you're in control in of. You can play through the game each time again and again and still get chills from multiple high points in the story.
  49. May 24, 2015
    The first RPG iv ever played and it has changed my life! A fantastic world full of depth and story i find my self wanting to do just one more quest one more turns into two more and so on. A fantastic game im currently in my second playthrough and only at 40% completion at 60 total hours so far and iv not even touched the DLC yet! Plenty of breadth and depth mods really bring this old ishThe first RPG iv ever played and it has changed my life! A fantastic world full of depth and story i find my self wanting to do just one more quest one more turns into two more and so on. A fantastic game im currently in my second playthrough and only at 40% completion at 60 total hours so far and iv not even touched the DLC yet! Plenty of breadth and depth mods really bring this old ish game to really shine!
    I could not give this review 10/10 due to some issues on the PC version that can only be fixed by setting the affinity to 2 of my 4 cpu cores or the game crashes.

Overall a must play!
  50. Apr 15, 2015
    The game that is the SIGNATURE masterpiece from Bioware. From the opening notes of the theme, the whole game just sucks you in. I love the interplay with your companions and the difficult situations that continued throughout the ENTIRE game. There is just No WAY I can't give this a TEN.

I have played all of the Great Fantasy RPG's, including the Original Pen & Paper D&D and this the Greatest (Even greater than my beloved Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines)

A game worth more than THREE times its original $60 purchase price, GUARANTEED!!
  51. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 8 out of 10, Graphics: 8 out of 10, Fun: 8 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10, Length: 8 out of 10, Re-play: 3 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  52. Aug 20, 2015
    This was my first real RPG experience. Had introduced me in the story masterfully, I can feel as the protagonist and each action counts exploring the world at my will. It has the same gameplay as Pillars of Eternity (which is inspired in this gameplay). One of its most important things is the toolkit to have literally thousands of mods, I remember playing it with all my companionsThis was my first real RPG experience. Had introduced me in the story masterfully, I can feel as the protagonist and each action counts exploring the world at my will. It has the same gameplay as Pillars of Eternity (which is inspired in this gameplay). One of its most important things is the toolkit to have literally thousands of mods, I remember playing it with all my companions customized and it was awesome. King of RPGs! Expand
  53. Mar 14, 2015
    One of the best games ever. Great story, immersion, tactical combat, quests, graphic style, companions and NPCs. The only thing I didn't like: your character doesn't speak.
  54. Apr 1, 2015
    Very fun game. Very good story and choice and consequence. Interesting characters and political situation.

The controls and camera are good. The biggest negative is that weapons and equipment are class restricted in a very strict way. Rogues per definition use dual daggers or bow and cannot even equip a sword. I don't understand why this was necessary. Overall a very good game, much

Overall a very good game, much better than it's sequels! 8.3/10!
  55. Jul 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A día de hoy se ven muy pocos juegos con esta calidad de diseño, de inmersión y de trasfondo como ser muestra con esta primera entrega y siento que así debió ser con sus secuelas.
    De los mejores y más acertados sistemas de combate que un RPG puede ofrecer al jugador pese a lo que los "casuales" digan, las animaciones de combate no son de lo más espectacular de lo que usualmente suele verse en el mercado, eso es verdad, pero no representa problema en base a que mantiene su bien distribuida dificultad en todo momento. La estrategia es muy importante y se refleja bastante a lo largo de la aventura con nuestros compañeros y cada habilidad que adquiramos para ellos a medida que suben de nivel es imprescindible. La calidad gráfica es poco a como se muestra su más nueva entrega "dragon age inquisition" sin embargo su apartado visual es claramente superior (ojo, apartado visual no es lo mismo a calidad gráfica); Posee un estilo realista a la vez que te sumerge en un ambiente de rol fantástico, que se puede observar con las diferentes elecciones de clases que puedes elegir al principio del juego, y el cómo se diferencian entre sí, tanto física como metódicamente, los qunari son como seres humanos pero de mayor proporción de tamaño y fornidos en su mayoría, los elfos aunque un poco más bajos de estatura que el humano y con orejas puntiagudas, estos son como otros humanos, otra cultura y otros dioses, hay situaciones sociales y políticas, racismo y discriminación, varios puntos que conforman la estructura de ferelden, lugar en el cual iniciarás y terminarás tu aventura como guarda gris.
    La narrativa de esta historia es impresionante y hay muchas posibilidades dado a que tú tomas el rol como protagonista, dejándote a escoger muchas opciones por las cual responder a las cuestiones que se presentan en tu viaje, no hay bien ni un mal que defina la ética y moral de nuestro personaje sino que te puedes formar como persona y como heroe a tu modo.
    Tiene compañeros memorables, todos muy carismáticos y tienen su forma de ser tratados, hay otros de lo más raros pero tienen su propia chispa, en algunos casos podremos verlos en otras entregas de la saga como es el caso de flemeth o morrigan, leliana y otros personajes como cullen que más adelante toma un rol importante en la inquisición.
    Tiene por mucho el mejor protagonista de toda la saga y con mucha razón, dragon age 2 no merece mención debido a la aberrante historia que presenta, y con dragon age inquisition, nuestro personaje posee una extraña y en mi opinión, mal sistema de respuestas y sigue a veces el mismo patrón que tienen el segundo juego haciendo que a veces no puedas tomar decisión realmente en ningún aspecto. Esto con el guarda gris no sucede, a pesar de no tener voz en el juego, es compensado con la grande variedad de respuestas que eres capaz de dar a las situaciones que se presentan, no hay un: Opción A) Veré que puedo hacer. Opción B) estoy de acuerdo, por ahora... Meeeh.
    Lo más importante ya lo he mencionado, creo que con esto terminaría mi opinión. Una obra maestra sin duda y aún espero a que bioware continúe la historia del "heroe de ferelden" como protagonista de su siguiente entrega dado a que su linea argumental fue "cortada" por los demás juegos (DA2 y DA:I) aun si fuera por capricho, pero sería una gran vuelta a la increíble trama que presenta este juego, sin dudarlo.
  56. Aug 8, 2015
    This game is nothing short of amazing, memorable characters, indulging plot, deeply strategical battle system, it all comes together as one of my favourite games of all time.

Pros:
    Compelling Story
    Deep and Elaborate Combat
    No Meaningless Locations
    Tremendously Dense Lore

Cons:
    Graphically Dull (for 2015 standards)
    Combat can feel a bit clunky sometimes
  57. Apr 26, 2011
    I can't give a perfect score unless something is perfect. I haven't met the perfect game. Dragon Age Origins came very close. This game, WOW, just WOW. I enjoyed the entire thing from start to finish, all of it. There were no moments for me of grinding or feeling like I had to perform some chore to get to the good stuff. It was all fun. The points that detract from perfection areI can't give a perfect score unless something is perfect. I haven't met the perfect game. Dragon Age Origins came very close. This game, WOW, just WOW. I enjoyed the entire thing from start to finish, all of it. There were no moments for me of grinding or feeling like I had to perform some chore to get to the good stuff. It was all fun. The points that detract from perfection are minor things like difficult camera angles in some places or stupid AI from team mates. Things easily rectified by simply moving or pausing combat and taking direct control. The story was expertly told and deep. Characters interact and communicate, they make you feel something about them. Actual feelings. I really liked Alistair and Leilana. They were good people who I found myself enjoying talking to, asking what they thought, exploring with. I really didn't like Zevran or Sten. I found myself not wanting to talk to them, cringing in anticipation of what they would say next. Most games I don't care. That this game could establish that level of attachment to characters is commendable. It's when a game becomes more than a game and wanders over toward something bigger. It becomes an experience, something you DID and enjoyed doing. Time well spent and stories worth telling. Expand
  58. laengsiL
    Jan 9, 2010
    This game is damn epic! Of course it has a few bugs or w/e but still the best RPG I've played so far. It's just so big, it makes TES IV look like shit :D SO many possibilities you really can't discover everything, but that's what makes it such an epic game!
  59. CarlosF
    Nov 10, 2009
    Excellent narrative. Very interesting tactical battles that you can't sleep through (be wary of magic users). May be my new favourite RPG
  60. Thales
    Nov 4, 2009
    It's a great story driven RPG a suberb classic, a perfect merge of old gameplay with new tecnologies delivering a world where you choises changes the world for better or worse. People keep talking about "its not revolutionry", but again i ask, a game to be good it must be revolutionary? I'm rather stick with a classic than be fooled by a empty game with lots of new mechanics. If It's a great story driven RPG a suberb classic, a perfect merge of old gameplay with new tecnologies delivering a world where you choises changes the world for better or worse. People keep talking about "its not revolutionry", but again i ask, a game to be good it must be revolutionary? I'm rather stick with a classic than be fooled by a empty game with lots of new mechanics. If you look at Diablo 3 i bet people will say the same thing "its not revolutionary, the same ISO view with some new stuff" , It apears to me that what only metters is an easy game with loads of actions and few but voiced dialogues. What makes me intrigued it's how people that really dont like long stories with large dialogues and tactical battles still trying to score something they don't like. It's the same that watching Saw series and in the end of the movie someone talks "i dont like it, they dont have romance and car crashes" Nowdays what most gamers want are easy games with lots of action and lack o story telling, that's why most RPG are blending with FPS or Action. Expand
  61. TimT.
    Nov 5, 2009
    From what i have tried so far its the best RPG after BG2. I cant wate to get to know my characters better, or to explore the world. I have never ever goten this hooked on a rpg before. Giving it anything under a 10 wont be possible for me!
  62. Jun 3, 2014
    Fantastic game, interesting characters, great story, good voice acting (mostly) and some pretty good graphics and game play. It is not earth shattering but it is really, really good.
  63. Jun 20, 2015
    This is one of my favorite games of all time because, everything is so immersive, so alive, so... I have no idea how to describe it, the combat is a bit boring and very slow, but you can fix that with some mods, the story is amazing and awful, because choices make the story, so it's best to be careful, graphics are ok, your companions are a bit cliche'd but they're great at the same time,This is one of my favorite games of all time because, everything is so immersive, so alive, so... I have no idea how to describe it, the combat is a bit boring and very slow, but you can fix that with some mods, the story is amazing and awful, because choices make the story, so it's best to be careful, graphics are ok, your companions are a bit cliche'd but they're great at the same time, anyways, this game is a masterpiece and a must-own for an RPG fan. Expand
  64. Jul 29, 2011
    Dragon age is just a piece of work.It's such a omg i shouldnt stop playing yet but im too tired type of game.Dragon age II is better but da1/origins is great as well i highly recommend it.
  65. Rukam
    Jan 5, 2010
    this is definitely one of my favorite games of all time so far cant wait to c more updates and the demo for dragon age orgins 2
  66. Apr 24, 2013
    A top-tier RPG, Dragon Age: Origins is an excellent game on the whole. The characters are fun to interact with and have considerable personality, the storyline is interesting, there are a number of interesting choices which are not clearly "right" or "wrong" and therefore require you to actually weigh what YOU think is best (and which have an impact on the ending, with different forcesA top-tier RPG, Dragon Age: Origins is an excellent game on the whole. The characters are fun to interact with and have considerable personality, the storyline is interesting, there are a number of interesting choices which are not clearly "right" or "wrong" and therefore require you to actually weigh what YOU think is best (and which have an impact on the ending, with different forces fighting by your side depending on your decisions), the voice acting is excellent, and the graphics do their job (though they are not perfect, and do expose a deep love of blood spatter on the part of the developers).

The biggest flaw with the game lies in its combat system, sadly. As the game goes on, it becomes increasingly clear that wizards are far more powerful than anything else, and the ability to combine spell effects allows you to wipe out entire groups of enemies effortlessly, often without them even having a ghost of a chance of reaching you. While it is very nice that the bosses actually ARE vulnerable to many of these effects (and rather than having immunity merely are less effected by them, making it still feel very useful) sadly the ordinary combats in the game by and large can be resolved with a few spells cast in combination once you reach a certain point in the game, which trivializes combat from there on out. Moreover, the enemy variety runs a bit thin at the very end of the game; you fight darkspawn at the beginning, then fight more in Orzammar, then fight more at the end, and they are fundamentally unchanged in their appearances.
  67. CoolicyIce
    Nov 6, 2009
    Much more story-telling than combat, the combat-part is rather challenging for a person (like me) that has never played similar games by BioWare, but can be very satisfying as soon as I got used to it. The story deserves a full 10 stars, but mostly for the narration rather than teh actual story progression. The story is the usual pattern for the genre, evil forces approaching, must unite Much more story-telling than combat, the combat-part is rather challenging for a person (like me) that has never played similar games by BioWare, but can be very satisfying as soon as I got used to it. The story deserves a full 10 stars, but mostly for the narration rather than teh actual story progression. The story is the usual pattern for the genre, evil forces approaching, must unite all forces and races to repel evil, IMO nothing too refreshing. What this game excels in, however, is the way the story is presented and the way it draws you into the game. It really makes you feel involved with your character and your decisions actually feel important and make an impact to the game-environment. I can only think of very little flaws with the game, and of those flaws only one of them really bother me: the quests can sometimes get a little tedious. You progress through a quest, you go to places A-B-C-D, but you can only fulfill the requirements to a certain extent, and when you're done at location D, it requires you to go back to A, B, C to finish up. The loading times and the walking can get really annoying at times. (to ppl who played the game, i am referring to the mage quest). nonetheless, the game still deserves a full 10/10, and I am definitely going for a 2nd playthrough to try out the alternatives possible. Expand
  68. MichaelD
    Jan 19, 2010
    I really enjoyed this game - currently playing through a third time. Well worth a look. Note: I played the PC version. Also this game does deserve its age rating - it's a kids game.
  69. JoeP
    Jan 7, 2010
    The character personality for most of the companions is unmatched compared to other games. Although the game can be very difficult, with enough strategy you can defeat anything. I also like the idea of mod-able games like Fallout 3 where you can see fan made mods which unlocks 10 times more content that developers can ever make for free (if given time).
  70. NielsB
    Nov 10, 2009
    Got this game 3 days ago and while i expected it wouldnt run on my dualcore 2,66, i couldnt wait for a computer upgrade and installed it anyway. I couldn't believe how smooth it ran on high settings for 90% of the time, so 3 days later i'm 10 hours into the game with my human noble warrior. Being a bioware/black isle fan for a long time and having played from baldurs gate 1and Got this game 3 days ago and while i expected it wouldnt run on my dualcore 2,66, i couldnt wait for a computer upgrade and installed it anyway. I couldn't believe how smooth it ran on high settings for 90% of the time, so 3 days later i'm 10 hours into the game with my human noble warrior. Being a bioware/black isle fan for a long time and having played from baldurs gate 1and 2, planescape torment, icewind dale 1 and 2, neverwinter nights 1 and 2, fallout 1,2,3 mass effect and about all other games from them i can say this is another epic gem. The graphics aren't the best we seen this year, but the models are all high textured and have some of the best animations i have seen in a rpg. Some reviewers called the biggest downside of DAO the combat system, but to me it's 1 of the most satisfying of this genre. Bioware did a good move by creating his own combat system rather than a computer version of the D&D rules... the DAO combat system is actualy quite simmilair to that of a MMORPG(especialy WoW) Powerfull spells have cooldowns, and lesser spells can be spammed. Also a nice touch is bringing back friendly fire which is something that was lost after the baldur's gate days, which makes positioning and planning your most powerfull spells more important than just spamming your fireballs into the melee's The warrior class has different skills to specialize into, ranging from 2handed weapons, dualwielding, sword and shield to bows. Again quite like WoW you can learn skills like shieldwall and shieldslams as a tanking warrior to powerfull blows and various damage skills as damage warrior. Overall the combat is very satisfying and requires constant atention rather than grinding groups of lesser mobs, and again thanks to the excelent animations the fights where really cool to watch. Outside the combat there was a amazing story to be told and interesting characters to meet. Too keep it short, this is THE game you want to buy if you enjoyed old bioware/black isle games. Expand
  71. MattiaZ
    Nov 20, 2009
    Amazing game, it's nothing progressive or totally new think about it as a really refined baldur's gate. There are some bugs, that's why i give it a 9, but the overall experience is amazing. Characters and plot are very well written. I just couldn't wait to start it again once i finished it.
  72. RaxRaxous
    Nov 3, 2009
    Played this as part of "Team UK" during the 24-hour "Wardens' Quest" event in London. Let me be quite clear and say that after 20+ hours of playing it straight I still can't wait to get hold of it and get playing again! It is a true master piece, combining the best elements of Baldurs Gate, Diablo, Fallout, Oblivion, Morrowind, Ultima, Planescape Torment, UFO, etc into a Played this as part of "Team UK" during the 24-hour "Wardens' Quest" event in London. Let me be quite clear and say that after 20+ hours of playing it straight I still can't wait to get hold of it and get playing again! It is a true master piece, combining the best elements of Baldurs Gate, Diablo, Fallout, Oblivion, Morrowind, Ultima, Planescape Torment, UFO, etc into a complete, beautiful, rich and expansive world. The lore is amazing, the characters totally believable, the story engrossing, the effect of your choices truly tangible, the stat / skill / talent system absorbing, equipment and items are detailed and impactful, crafting is streamlined yet powerful, it's amazing in so many ways! I have been playing games for very nearly 30 years and this is definately the peak of all that which I find enjoyable in a game. I feel 10 again, I am so excited for this and ask that you buy and play it, do yourself a favour! You will not regret it!! :-) Expand
  73. JeffD
    Nov 3, 2009
    After playing only 2 hours. It is one of the few games I cannot get out of my head. I can't wait do get out of work, rush home, and dive into some of the best storytelling I've encountered in a RPG that I can ever remember. Bravo Bioware!!!
  74. NathanW
    Nov 6, 2009
    words escape me for my newfound love of this game. the game is brilliantly panned out, the quests are interesting, and dynamic. each quest can end a variety of ways, and can be finished a variety of ways. its interesting to have the option to listen to the enemy you were slaughtering and decide to hold a meeting between the two agressive parties for a compromise.. the mere fact that there words escape me for my newfound love of this game. the game is brilliantly panned out, the quests are interesting, and dynamic. each quest can end a variety of ways, and can be finished a variety of ways. its interesting to have the option to listen to the enemy you were slaughtering and decide to hold a meeting between the two agressive parties for a compromise.. the mere fact that there are no correct answers, but different shades of everything makes this RPG stand a head above the rest. the only downside i see is the odd combat difficulty, some battles are too easy, some are insanely hard. it feels weird going into the menu to make an encounter harder, or to make an encounter easier. hopefully this is something that can be patched. overall, i recommend this to any gamer who loves a good story, because the story in this RPG is not only intensely rich, but actively interesting. Expand
  75. DreeL.
    Nov 17, 2009
    This game has the best beginning portion of any RPG, however, it has too many repetitive combats that may make players get bored quickly.
  76. MarkD
    Dec 28, 2009
    Best RPG of all time. The writing is beyond spectacular, as is the acting of the voice-overs, and the many, many choices and paths all lead to a a very rewarding game with great complexity and numerous replay value!
  77. Sep 20, 2016
    This game is not only the best RPG, but for me the best game of the last generation of games/consoles. It has brilliant story and fantastically well-built characters, and an excellent gameplay as well. Bioware should have done better with its sequels though, Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition don't even come closer to their predecessor.
  78. Feb 12, 2018
    Great RPG. The mechanics for combat are a little unpolished and easily exploitable, which is the only thing aside from the writing (which could be a little bit better) that keeps it from being a ten.

I beat this game over six times, and still managed to find a line or interesting thing I missed on each previous playthrough. Highly recommend it to everyone who enjoys rpgs. It's not as good as Baldur's Gate 1 or 2, but it's a great example of how Bioware used to be a good company pre-DA2.

Very high on comedy, the writing does have its serious moments - though they are far between one another. Pretty much every party member adds something to the group, even the DLC one. There are no boring main characters in this game. It has a cohesive if somewhat generic fantasy plot, but being generic is fine because it's so excellently well written, with very good background supporting lore - though you have to dig to find it.

This is one of those games that helped define the "choices matter" RPG genre. Don't miss out on it.
  79. Jan 22, 2016
    Dragon Age Origins
    More like Goose Age Origins
    This game is deep, and that’s the greatest thing about it. The depth though is also the worst thing about it This game starts out with letting you customize your character and choosing your class. All of your choices here will determine the origins story you are given. There’s potentially 6 different stories to be told in this game… I
    Dragon Age Origins
    More like Goose Age Origins
    This game is deep, and that’s the greatest thing about it.
    The depth though is also the worst thing about it
    All of your choices here will determine the origins story you are given.
    There’s potentially 6 different stories to be told in this game…
    I played the console version of this game, so it’s much more action oriented than strategy based.
    You can journey with 4 allies at a time to help you fight enemies and you can gain new allies along your journey,
    How you treat your allies and the people in the world around you will determine if they turn their back on you or help you with your cause.
    Your allies do a fairly decent job at holding their own... they only got stuck one time in my entire playthrough.
    You can equip gear you find on them much like a JRPG, there is tons of micro managing your ally’s skills as well as yours,
    Dragon Age Origins is lengthy, but not lengthy because there is so much great content to experience...
    The game is long just for the sake of being long... it accomplishes nothing in dragging the story on forever and makes you do more than you should really have to…
    The entire game feels like one giant goose chase.
    After your origins story the map opens up and you can freely clear it in any order you choose,
    The incentive to doing so is there is a blight... demons… an army... you need allies, so you set out into the vast sections to gain those allies...
    Each section of the map could literally be their own game… and not necessarily in a good way.
    They all have their own self-contained stories that link to the overarching story, but every single one of them follow the formula of the main story, which is you think you’re done but you’re not
    you get to whoever you’re looking for but they need you to do this before they’ll help you but when you get there to do what they need there’s someone there that needs you to help them before they can help you help the person that you need to help before they’ll help you..
    Its overwhelming and ultimately makes the game feel like it drags on forever
    and quite frankly it does... you never feel like you are making any true progress…
    It took me 10 hours of playing before the game got even a little bit interesting to me.
    There are some really cool sections to this game, again they all feel like they could be their own game...
    It’s crazy to look back when you’re near the end and think of the journey you’ve been on and how it was indeed part of this game and not some game you played years ago even though it feels like it.
    There’s mages, demons, going through the fade and shape shifting, hunting werewolves down in the forest, going underground to search for a mighty anvil
    There is so much to experience.
    While Dragon Age’s game world is vast and deep, I found the gameplay and journey to be shallow and tedious.
    Due to the delivery of the story, and the constant webbing of story lines I found Dragon Age Origins to eventually feel more like a chore than a game,
    After about 30 hours in I was begging for the game to be over, to get to the point, but instead it drug me down another 20 hours of rabbit holes.
    If the rabbit holes don’t make the game feel tedious enough, it also does a horrible job at quest progression in general...
    You rarely know where you’re supposed to go,
    The marker for the quest you’re on only appears when you’re close to the desired location…
    and by close, I mean practically on top of it…
    Which will lead you right to google to figure out where this person lives since who’s going to really memorize the locations of these people by name?
    I’m not
    There’s a Lot to do in Dragon Age Origins, so I can definitely see why people love this game so much…
    Even I appreciate the game for what it has going on...
    There was just ultimately nothing here to hook me in...
    If I didn’t feel obligated to make it to the credits, I definitely wouldn’t have
    I give Dragon Age Origins a 7.5/10
  80. Nov 25, 2015
    One of the best rpg i ever played. Before The Witcher 3, this game was the king. It was made by Bioware before they sold their soul to EA and remains for me as the last good product of this once legendary company.
  81. Feb 2, 2015
    I am not the biggest fan of BioWare's combat systems, because with them I can hardly catch the perfect balance between real-time and take-turn. Also, the item system and interface is always a little bit tedious. Both are all well enough, though, but since I really think that gameplay is crucial, I can give this game only a 9 - but a fully deserved rating, thanks to its superior capabilityI am not the biggest fan of BioWare's combat systems, because with them I can hardly catch the perfect balance between real-time and take-turn. Also, the item system and interface is always a little bit tedious. Both are all well enough, though, but since I really think that gameplay is crucial, I can give this game only a 9 - but a fully deserved rating, thanks to its superior capability to immerse me into the world and it's characters. It's classy and entertaining - IF you like to spend hours in dialogs, like I do :) Expand
  82. Oct 13, 2016
    Dragon Age Origins is my favorite RPG of all time next to the Mass Effect series, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines and the Witcher series. Origins came out during a time when Bioware wasn't injecting bizarre liberal politics into their games. It's sad that Bioware is now plagued with liberal political activists, they're like leeches.

If you play this game, go as slow as you possibly

If you play this game, go as slow as you possibly can, take your time, listen to all the dialogue and read all the codex. I recommend either the human noble origin or the human mage origin. If you play a mage, make sure you decide what fraternity ideals you think your mage should follow. Decide whether the character you role play believes in the maker or not

The music in this game comes from the heart, there are some moments where you'll just sit back, sip on some wine and just get immersed.

Dragon Age Origins is perfection, so naturally Bioware and the entire industry have stopped making games like this.
  83. Nov 3, 2015
    Loved it ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssLoved it ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss Expand
  84. Jun 30, 2015
    One of the best games there is out there. The introduction to different races is one of the most profound elements in any RPG game out there. Bioware at it's best.
  85. Jun 13, 2017
    This is one of the best RPGs ever made! I don't even know where to start, the story, the gameplay, the character progression, the dialogue, it's brilliant! I've spent hundreds of hours into the game and i will probably play through it many times. It has great replay value and while the game has it's small flaws, it is still so good that you will barely notice them. 10/10 a must play!
  86. Dec 31, 2015
    One of my favourite games ever. I wish they would make more like. The story gets you involved and the tactical combat is fun and at times a challenge.
  87. Nov 15, 2015
    You do not need a lot of words, just Dragon Age: Origins - this is perfect game and one of the best RPG of the 21st century. You should not miss this game. 10/10
  88. ArshadS
    Dec 11, 2009
    9 because of the camera angles and the number of times you have to pause the game if you want to survive. Other than that the graphics and voice acting is excellent and the Custom character creation is almost limitless. Choices you make might give you something you wouldnt expect from the npc which i felt as a new feel and different from other rpgs.
  89. welltell
    Dec 2, 2009
    Okay it feels like Neverwinter nights... or that some one at bioware took the neverwinter nights game engine and decided to create a better game. Dragon ago is a lot of fun, it would of been better if the graphics were more like what Bathesda did in OBLIVION.
  90. VladimírS
    Dec 2, 2009
    I dont know what to say... it has got something specific like other GREAT RPGs (like gothic, witcher etc). But this has a taste of everything! I recomend it!
  91. StephenS.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Really what I wasn't expecting in this game. There was a great story line between each character you choose and the replay value of this game is extremely high. Endless possibility's with characters, game play and much more. Not much you can't do in this game. Defiantly worth buying.
  92. Bjorn
    Jan 11, 2010
    Dragon Age is a great game with a few flaws. It has a great story, a lot of choices that are not just black and white, but complicated enough so you keep wondering if you chose the right thing long after the choice was made. (even if they usually don't affect the game play significantly) The weakness in dragon age belongs to the combat parts, which are designed with threat like most Dragon Age is a great game with a few flaws. It has a great story, a lot of choices that are not just black and white, but complicated enough so you keep wondering if you chose the right thing long after the choice was made. (even if they usually don't affect the game play significantly) The weakness in dragon age belongs to the combat parts, which are designed with threat like most MMOs. (Wrong in my opinion the enemy should be trying to kill the party, not toy around because someone screams at them). Also the targeting system tends to lose targets when making changes and I gave up trying to design scrips halfway through the game, and instead resorted to pausing 80% of each fight. There's also a number of magic spells that are so powerful it's almost ridiculous (freeze the boss for ~20s, yes he can take damage, of make boos immune and freeze him for ~30 with a 35 sec cool down) The good side of fights them is that combat is challenging and will force you to truly explore you option even on normal difficulty. They are also, for being a RPG, refreshingly varied. Expand
  93. RevlynT
    Jan 1, 2010
    Anything less then 8.5 is an insult this game is truely one of the best game releases from 2009-2010.
  94. Peter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Enjoyed this one as much as KOTOR. But graphics are not up to date and theres a lack of cutting-edge content to rate it a 9 or 10. Oh ... and there should be more unique weaponry to loot. A coherent and solid game, but nothing more.
  95. OrwellGeorge
    Jan 13, 2010
    If you like deep RPGs with great character development, lots of chances to role play, and have the patience to take things slowly and figure things out then this game is for you. Disregard the negative reviews here as they seem to be from people who don't understand great storytelling, got confused by the tactics system, didn't read the manual, loved the heavy metal in the If you like deep RPGs with great character development, lots of chances to role play, and have the patience to take things slowly and figure things out then this game is for you. Disregard the negative reviews here as they seem to be from people who don't understand great storytelling, got confused by the tactics system, didn't read the manual, loved the heavy metal in the trailers, want to hate something popular to be cool, hate reading, hate problem solving, hate people who have girlfriends, are upset with the way their lives have gone, are not well educated, have never read a book in their life, enjoyed Avatar, believe Boondock Saints is great film making, whine a lot, are spoiled brats, get into long forum debates regarding XBOX vs PS3, spend hours of their day wondering how X company could ruin their lives by releasing X game, or simply have a taste in games akin to a brain dead cow. If none of this sounds like you, then I can almost assure you that you will enjoy this game. It's the best RPG in the last ten years, don't miss it. Expand
  96. CrowBar
    Jan 19, 2010
    This truly is the best RPG thats come out since the original Bards Tale for the Apple IIe. The control you have over the characters is extreme, and I suppose for some that might not be a plus, but for myself, and obviously thousands like me, it's not only a plus but an integral part of the gameplay. I love being able to micromanage my characters, from their equipment to their attacks This truly is the best RPG thats come out since the original Bards Tale for the Apple IIe. The control you have over the characters is extreme, and I suppose for some that might not be a plus, but for myself, and obviously thousands like me, it's not only a plus but an integral part of the gameplay. I love being able to micromanage my characters, from their equipment to their attacks and spells and where and when they move. Bioware has always done an excellent job at game developing, and Dragon Age: Origins is probably the best game yet. Limited bugs on release, my one complaint is their lauded DLC. They claimed that DLC would be forthcoming on a regular basis, and so far the only thing that we've yet to see is a short campaign to get the Wardens Keep back, and a constant delay in their next, "Return to Ostagar." They have announced the next in the series already, "Dragon Age: Awakenings" which is all well and fine, but it's not released until March and "RtO" was supposedly slated for the "Holiday Season" and then the 5th of January, which are both long past and still no word for when they plan on getting it out to us. Ive given the game a 10, but if you throw in the DLC id drop the rating to an 8. They are certainly dropping the ball on that part of the game. Expand
  97. VargreX
    Jan 19, 2010
    There are enough good votes on here that explain in depth why the game is good, so Im going to avoid that and point out the negative things people have said about the game. If you look through them all, you'll notice that most of them seem to have been written by someone around 10-12 years of age. This is not a game for the young. Its an adult game, complex in story and plot. It take There are enough good votes on here that explain in depth why the game is good, so Im going to avoid that and point out the negative things people have said about the game. If you look through them all, you'll notice that most of them seem to have been written by someone around 10-12 years of age. This is not a game for the young. Its an adult game, complex in story and plot. It take a lot of thought to get through. Playing on easy, the AI IS easy. That's how its supposed to be. But knock up the difficulty to hard or nightmare and you've got a serious challenge on your hands. The people that have written negative comments on Dragon Age should stick to games they know: Mario Kart and the like. The combat system is excellent, if you know what your doing. If you let your characters loose and dont bother trying to micromanage their attacks/ spellls, your going to lose. A lot. Thats part of the game. Getting deep into it, what everyone does. Graphics are beautiful. Those that complain, id like to ask what they consider to be "good" graphics? There are some instances where the characters feel a bit "robotic" but the voice acting and the story more than make up for any glitches in the graphics. Story wise, its long, intense and interesting. Yes, there is a lot of dialogue. But you can skip it, just by hitting escape, if it gets that monotonous. Ive also heard complaints about the over-use of gore. Well, turn that off in the options and you dont have to deal with that either. Sex? Nudity? Well, there isnt any. During the "sex" scenes the characters are shown in positions of holding and caressing, not in flagrente delecto, although their are mods that you can get to remedy that. Its far from the violent porn that these idiots claim. Some people are never happy, and the better something is, the more they want to tear it down. While I've read a few viable complaints about the game, most of them are from juvenile miscreants who wouldnt know class and skill if it came up and bit them in the arse. This game is not for the idiotic people that spend their time playing Halo and Half Life2. Its for thoughtful people that are just as happy with a good book as they are with a good game. And Dragon Age is just that; an excellent book that you control the outcome of. If you have a brain, and enjoy using it, then get Dragon Age, you will not be disappointed. ((the one complaint that stands out, or rather the one good thing in a list of complaints. It seems to me that its the torchholder for the rest of these naysayers..."I did like one thing, having people begging me on their knees for mercy. That was the one good thing about Dragon Age." That quote seems par for the course for those that gave a negative review. Those are the people that DONT like the game. Go figure.) Expand
  98. PrudiiS
    Jan 3, 2010
    Ok its long i mean really really really long. I mean i just finished my first play though with a time of 91 hours and i did not even do all the side quests. This truly is an immersive game yet despite this it reminds me so much of SW: KotOR I and II. Sure dialogue options change things and it seems like things are changed but when you think about it the over all plot is not changed its Ok its long i mean really really really long. I mean i just finished my first play though with a time of 91 hours and i did not even do all the side quests. This truly is an immersive game yet despite this it reminds me so much of SW: KotOR I and II. Sure dialogue options change things and it seems like things are changed but when you think about it the over all plot is not changed its just like the dark light ending of KotOR. No matter which you follow Malak still dies. They try to sell the game by saying you control what happens. Well you don't you control the how, why, and when. For example this play though i will go to see the dwarfs before i go to the capital city. And you have to micro manage everything and be careful. I learned this on the first boss. I kept charging right in and dieing over and over again. You have to double and triple cheek your tactics settings or you die. Expand
  99. TravisH
    Jan 4, 2010
    Pros : This is the best game I have played in some time from the gamplay and graphics to the amazing storyline that makes you stay up till just 2 hours before you have to go into work just so you can find out what happens next! I can't say enough good thing about this game, the only true way to understand is to play it. Cons: This game is Amazing for PC but it was obviously made for Pros : This is the best game I have played in some time from the gamplay and graphics to the amazing storyline that makes you stay up till just 2 hours before you have to go into work just so you can find out what happens next! I can't say enough good thing about this game, the only true way to understand is to play it. Cons: This game is Amazing for PC but it was obviously made for PC and won't be the same on console. Also the game as some replay value but after the initial race quests at the begining the storyline is the same for all races/classes except for different dialog later in the game. Expand
  100. BrandonM
    Jan 5, 2010
    One of the best RPG's in the past 10 years!! Right there with Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate 2 and FFX (could have been better if we didn't have to read all the dialogue).
  101. Jun 7, 2013
    The last great mainstream RPG. Probably Bioware's last great game. It was definitely downhill from here. Lots of replay value, great characters, great dialogue, engaging gameplay. It's a challenging game that makes you stop and think about your tactics and choices in combat, and that's rare these days. You can and will make mistakes developing your characters. Replaying the game is alwaysThe last great mainstream RPG. Probably Bioware's last great game. It was definitely downhill from here. Lots of replay value, great characters, great dialogue, engaging gameplay. It's a challenging game that makes you stop and think about your tactics and choices in combat, and that's rare these days. You can and will make mistakes developing your characters. Replaying the game is always a gem and you'll usually find new things to notice every time you play through. This game made a big impression on me, and it really illustrated to me just how horrible most video games are because it provided such a high quality experience. A must own, a rental will not do it justice. Also, mod support for the PC is a plus! Collapse

1. If you're into rpgs, or rather if you love roleplaying in general, there's really no need to waste time reading any reviews of this game. The same goes if you regard games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 and the Baldurs Gate-series among the best computer games ever made. Because this game is everything a person like you look for in a game, and so much more. Be aware though, Dragon Age: Origins is not a revolution of the genre, rather it is an evolution, where Bioware has refined everything that made them into a formula as close to perfection as possible. Without a doubt one of the strongest Game of the year-candidates so far this year and a game we will remember with warm feelings many years to come.
  2. PC Gamer
    An outstanding story-driven RPG with fantastic writing, RPG depth and tough tactical combat. It's BioWare's best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. [Holiday 2009, p.38]
  3. Dragon Age Origins will keep you in front of your computer for hours! Graphics, sounds and the controls couldn’t be much better!