8.6

1. Oct 21, 2010
    The best. Ever. Sure, game preference is entirely subjective, but I cant help but feel that the negative review scores this game received were provided by people who never actually played the game. From the start, it's clear that the world of Thedas is an epic place, with conflict, nuances, and thousands of years of history. Likely you disagree, but don't believe the gamers giving thisThe best. Ever. Sure, game preference is entirely subjective, but I cant help but feel that the negative review scores this game received were provided by people who never actually played the game. From the start, it's clear that the world of Thedas is an epic place, with conflict, nuances, and thousands of years of history. Likely you disagree, but don't believe the gamers giving this game a poor score. Beyond being a sublime game, dragon age origins pushes the boundaries of emotion, choice, and freedom within gaming. DAO doesn't simply faithfully receive Baldur's Gate II's mantle of best game out there, it rips that mante from BG2's cold, dead hands, then uses it as a weapon to single handedly enslave every other game in existence. Expand
  2. Nov 2, 2010
    This is one of my favorite games. Extremely interesting story, with a lot of replayability. I ripped through it, and then instantly started again, one of the only times I have done that on any game.
  3. Mar 30, 2012
    Easily the best RPG I've played for at least a decade, if not ever. It's like Baldur's Gate all over again without all the glaring deficiencies of the old D&D ruleset. Great story, great characters, good voice acting, and it's a party-based RPG! The biggest downside to the game is that it has to end at some point. Oh, and the AI is a bit daft if left to its own devices. If you're evenEasily the best RPG I've played for at least a decade, if not ever. It's like Baldur's Gate all over again without all the glaring deficiencies of the old D&D ruleset. Great story, great characters, good voice acting, and it's a party-based RPG! The biggest downside to the game is that it has to end at some point. Oh, and the AI is a bit daft if left to its own devices. If you're even mildly interested in the premise of the game, you really should play Dragon Age: Origins. I want more of the same please! Expand
  4. Apr 2, 2012
    One of the best games that I have played in all my live. It is one of the few ones that you will be able to remember some years later as one exclusive experience. Original, entertaining, long and the most important, exciting. Only a few games will leave you this way.
  5. Apr 2, 2011
    This is probably one of the best RPG's i've played. The Origins stories and multiple endings really add to the replayability, as if you don't get enough entertainment and playtime in one playthrough. The combat system is exciting, and i like the tactical element.
    Overall a fantastic game.
  6. Dec 23, 2010
    Firstly this is the best fantasy RPG ever released, it has its problems but none of them take away from its epicness.

Gameplay The gameplay, which is instantly familiar to anyone who has played Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic which itself it another Bioware wonder, is based around a team of 4 controlled in a semi real time manner, meaning the game is based of a background clock

Gameplay
    The gameplay, which is instantly familiar to anyone who has played Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic which itself it another Bioware wonder, is based around a team of 4 controlled in a semi real time manner, meaning the game is based of a background clock which is sometimes refered to as ticks, so for instance your character may swing there weapon every 4 ticks. you choose one of 3 classes which each have the own starting story to expllain how they got the start of the game. the biggest complaint i have seen is that your ai partners are sometimes a bit slow, however there is a option to give them custom tactics and set parameters for activating moves, changing targets, when to use items etc. Some people who clearly missed the point say that bioware just couldnt be bothered to script the ai itself, where as i say that they have given the ai the ability to the basics of there build such as a healer healing but they have also constructed a command input system that will allow you to set up a custom team just as you like. if u cant be bothered with this ai is perfectly capable. The gameplay is smooth and easy to maintain control of with a zoom feature from over the shoulder to a battlefield view, which is this kind of game is possible the most useful feature ever i cannot praise the zoom featue enough. But should the combat get out of hand u can just hit space and pause the game give your team the commands to help tip the balance and then unpause as you watch your actions lead your team to victory ( lol i sound like a roman general/nerd). When your not fighting you will be talking to NPC's or exploring, your repsonce is not spoken instead you select it from a list of responses, but all major and some non major characters have full diologue in other words the only things you have to read are a few lines at most. The characters are voiced beautifully and the actors give some amazing performances worthy of any voice over movie. Should be the reading type then you can hunt for entries to the codex which is basically a history of dragon age book, and will tell u all about the extensive backstory and lore of the game.

Graphics Well what can i say but WOW, i have a high end gaming machine hooked up to a 32 inch Hd-TV and the game looks absolutly amazing, to anyone with a good pc ignore the console versions of this game its much better on with added depth from the modding community but more on that later. The characters both major and non major look stunning., with great facial animations and movement. In combat all enemies look stunning and without spoiling anything some of the early cinematics are just jaw droppingly good. The animations in general are top notch with anything from swing a sword to waving goodbuy looking awesom. My personal faveorite part though are called death animations and these are basically random when fighting most enemies with a few exeptions and your character will kill the target in some sort of cool way, especially on the bigger monsters/creatures you fight they are a joy to watch. Linear Vs non linear This game is not fully open ended, such as fallout 3 or the eldar scrolls oblivion, but i have never had a problem with scripted games. This game gives the impression of a go any where do anything which is my opinion is harder to do than a big game world full of trees. All it means is that the bits that you see are beautiful to behold the dwarven cities being right up my street. At the game time though the game is no so linear as to force a player down a path and there are many to choose from esepcially when choosing to help/kill weather to be good/evil etc.

The modding community
    2 words "amazingly epic", so many well done mods out and a great community to ask for help should you need it. The modders on sites like dragon age nexus are masters of the craft and should be hired this second by a company such as bioware. Bioware themselves are pretty clever giving an easy way to install/remove mods from your game. Conclusion
    Going into this game i was not sure as i am not the biggest fan or these kinds of combat systems but i have eaten my words with my foot in my mouth, it blew me away. Not once during this game have i ever felt stressed. I have enjoyed every minuite of playing this game, and being a game with 50 hours+ in one play though and having completed the game around 9 times (yes im sad but it should tell u how good it is lol ), it is alot of time. I know i said at the start of this review there are bad points and well erm i suppose i should mention one, erm............ errrrrrrrr..................hmmmmm well i cant think of any :P oh yeah it consumed a lot of my time lol. i would have mentioned the story in detail but no enough words, so i will simply say that which ever way you take the story its epic.
  7. Jan 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great and fabulous game! I have played it at least 3 times, doing all possible quests, always as a mage... i love being a mage. But now i'm playing as a human noble, and it is fantastic!!! i have all dls'c and awakaning has sucha nostalgic feeling, makes em get deeply evolved and missing the original game!!! i realy got evolved and touched by the game story and gameplay is marvelous!!! nice graphics... the only problem is that the main character should speak like in mass effect!! well, have fun, it's realy worth the try!! Expand
  8. Jan 20, 2012
    As time goes on, I look back with more and more fond memories of Dragon Age: Origins. When I first played the game, I was lukewarm to it. I thought it was decent, but too much of an old-school RPG. But as I played the game more, and after I beat it the second time, I realized that Dragon Age may be one of the finest RPGs ever created. The same warm feelings I have for classic RPGs likeAs time goes on, I look back with more and more fond memories of Dragon Age: Origins. When I first played the game, I was lukewarm to it. I thought it was decent, but too much of an old-school RPG. But as I played the game more, and after I beat it the second time, I realized that Dragon Age may be one of the finest RPGs ever created. The same warm feelings I have for classic RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights are now applying to Dragon Age as well. Bioware's singular ability to create a world and populate it with interesting characters, events, and locations is on full display. It's such a shame that Dragon Age 2 was a disappointment. Hopefully DA3 will live up to this amazing game. Until then, I shall be playing this game over and over, and forgetting that DA2 even exists. Expand
  9. Dec 17, 2011
    An absolutely engrossing RPG with compelling companions, huge strategic battles and a memorable (if slightly generic) background story. I played this one through non-stop over the course of a few days. It was difficult to tear myself away. And I went back and played it a few more times through as different classes and genders. I enjoyed each play-through thoroughly. There are some minorAn absolutely engrossing RPG with compelling companions, huge strategic battles and a memorable (if slightly generic) background story. I played this one through non-stop over the course of a few days. It was difficult to tear myself away. And I went back and played it a few more times through as different classes and genders. I enjoyed each play-through thoroughly. There are some minor annoyances such as shuffling during fights and the many 'fetch' quests that plague most RPGs but the story more than makes up for it along with a beautiful world and unforgettable companions. Epic and engrossing. Expand
  10. Mar 16, 2012
    Dragon Age Origins is the best Rpg game that i have ever played, and i have played many rpgs like : gothic,diablo,elder scrolls,dungeon siege,mass effect,fallout and many more, but none of them made me lose track of time or being so fascinated by the world which they delivered like Dragon Age Origins. This game is my most favorite game and i can't even explain of how amazing this game is.Dragon Age Origins is the best Rpg game that i have ever played, and i have played many rpgs like : gothic,diablo,elder scrolls,dungeon siege,mass effect,fallout and many more, but none of them made me lose track of time or being so fascinated by the world which they delivered like Dragon Age Origins. This game is my most favorite game and i can't even explain of how amazing this game is. The story is amazing one of the best which i experienced, the gameplay is very unique and i guess some will not like the gameplay but for me the gameplay was perfect, character are funny,amusing,interesting and very easy to like, the graphic for me is very beautiful and i didn't encounter any bugs or any kind of technical issue. All the rpg elements like customization,dialogue,exploration,side missions,items and inventory,skills,abilities,experience and levels all of that is executed perfectly. In the end the only thing i can say about Dragon Age Origins that this is the best game i have ever played in my life Expand
  11. Jun 11, 2011
    With Dragon Age Origins Bioware showed quite well that when it comes to telling a story and putting you at the head of it, their are still the best around. Someone could complain that the interface is not perfect, the graphics now always top level, the battles somewhat repetitive after a while. But in the end what makes the game great is that you have a run through a wonderful story whileWith Dragon Age Origins Bioware showed quite well that when it comes to telling a story and putting you at the head of it, their are still the best around. Someone could complain that the interface is not perfect, the graphics now always top level, the battles somewhat repetitive after a while. But in the end what makes the game great is that you have a run through a wonderful story while meeting truly memorable characters which will hold a place in your heart all along those from your favourite movies and books. And this is something which largely compensate for every minor flaw, making it rather irrelevant... Expand
  12. Jun 20, 2011
    Player through this game 6 times and found something new each time. Read both books, The Stolen Thrown and The Calling. Great story telling and attention to detail; truly epic.
  13. Jul 1, 2011
    Awesome game, I highly recommend it! Just completed it and I want to start again. I can honestly say I haven't played such great RPG for very long time. Grab this masterpiece.
  14. Jul 4, 2011
    One of the best RPG's released in a decade. The story is riveting and deep, the characters are believable and fun to interact with. The options in every situation that affect the outcome of the game are thoughtful and well implemented.
  15. Aug 26, 2011
    One of the best rpg's ever! The only downside is that battle can be challenging, but is that really a downside? Playing the elf mage I think has the best storyline. The dialogue/conversations are as realistic as any game i've ever played. great voice acting. Do yourself a favor by getting Origins as opposed to Dragon Age 2 which is the complete opposite.
  16. Nov 6, 2011
    As a fan of RPG games, this game with Baldurs Gate take first place in my RPG list. This game taking your whole mind into this magic world. The story is made perfectly, side quest are interesting, the choices which you are making makes diffrence in the future, there`s everything what good RPG game should have. If you haven`t played it... just DO IT.
  17. Sep 15, 2011
    This is one of my favorite games. I just love almost everything in this game: gameplay, characters, cutscene, graphics, and even control I really liked, well, nothing I can not help myself! =) Another great game from the hardcore BioWare!
  18. Nov 8, 2011
    One of my all-time favorites. This is a shameless D&D style nerdfest of an RPG and I wouldn't have it any other way. The combat is a bit clunky, but it was crafted that way on purpose. The fighting has more of a chessboard feel, really.
  19. Oct 31, 2012
    Great story line. The characters are very well defined. The play could use a bit of work, but the game is so addictive that, you probably won't care. The comments your party make are very funny. I often change up members just to hear the different interactions.
  20. Dec 18, 2012
    At first I was not attracted by the tactical gameplay approach that Bioware had chosen. However, Dragon Age: Origins quickly changed my mind with its compelling storyline and perfect balance between action and dialogue.

In the character selection you can select between different races, origins and classes, which will influence your game experience. This results in extremely customizable characters. You will need to choose one of six unique origin stories, which will determine how the different races of Ferelden will treat you throughout the game.

With blood, gore, and dragons you will experience scary cutscenes that introduces you to the life as a Grey Warden. You travel through Ferelden trying to free the country from the darkspawn and the arch demon. Murder, treason and politics; all interfering with your epic quest. It is now up to you and your comrades to liberate this country. The experience was a perfect balance between beautiful outdoor areas and the frightening depths of the Deep Roads lurking with darkspawn.

The innovating gameplay implemented by Bioware does work brilliantly and instead of the usual hack-n-slash RPG you get a more strategic and at times more challenging adventure. At any time, you will have the opportunity to pause and consider the situation. This gives you a chance to regroup and plan the perfect way to get rid of your foes. Another twist compared to the Elder Scrolls and The Witcher series is that you do not only control your protagonist, but you control a band of heroes fighting your way through hordes of darkspawn, bandits and dragons! Bioware has truly created a game with an epic storyline. The personalities you will meet throughout the game are creative and original because of the intelligent voice acting that brings the characters to life. Even when you walk through town they will chat about numerous things, such as their pasts, races and classes.

As player you should expect gorgeous graphics, but also a challenging game with difficulties that can get even the most hardcore players on their toes! The game mechanics are easy accessible and very fast to learn. Dragon Age: Origins is definitely a must buy for all RPG fans!

Dragon Age: Origins is one of the best roleplaying games of this decade all up there with the Elder Scrolls and Fallout.
  21. Aug 21, 2010
    This is one of the best story driven RPG's ever released. The great strength of this game lies in its immersive story and compelling characters. Bioware has created an epic fantasy world that draws you in from the opening scenes and holds you up till the final credits and beyond. The sound track is hauntingly beautiful and sets the mood wonderfully.
    The weakness of this game is that the
    The weakness of this game is that the game play does not quite match up quality wise to the story. The graphics, while not horrible, aren't overly impressive either. The combat can get repetitive after a while and the AI can be buggy in places. And it's almost too easy even on higher difficulties. Despite these flaws I found it to be a highly riveting game. It's like an epic fantasy novel that you can play instead of read. If your the kind of person who can get lost in a good book for hours on end, then Dragon Age: Origins is a must have. If however you play RPG's strictly for the combat and item collecting, you may be disappointed with this title.
  22. Nov 1, 2010
    I loved this game, same style gameplay as KOTOR. The combat was fun to watch, and I really was able to get into the storyline. The dialogue was very well done IMHO. This was one of my favorite games now, and will always have a spot on my hard drive (except for alot of the DLC, most of it was done very poorly)
  23. Mar 11, 2011
    Pretty good, overall. I enjoyed the storyline and the world it set up. I can imagine Bioware will have a few sequels for this.
    It's no NWN or BG, but we're not gonna see anything like those for a while, I imagine. They're just not popular anymore.

Characterisation was great, dialogue was good, voice acting was good, graphics were good, plot was interesting. Combat was good, although the blood effects were over the top. Disappointed me that there were party members committed to fighting the blight who just sat around in camp all day doing nothing, but the only way around that is to have less party members.

One of the best RPGs I've played. Sure, it's not the best, but I enjoyed it.
  24. Mar 14, 2011
    Now since I restarted DAO cause of DA2. I look over everything I see. Story, detail, graphics, music, game play and Reply value.

The Story: It is amazing for this game. Well thought and well Detailed. Spread over the whole map. The main story line is amazing it drags you in from the get go. Straight to the end of the game. The side quests are great to again all over the map. Certainly gives you that extra bit to work on even if it only gives a little extra bit of game play. Even with character stories to. Some meld together. Even the interaction talks while wondering about. It all works together perfectly.

The Detail: Tones in my book. Just perfect for a long RPG. Which is what it should be. Certainly a lot to read to give you more detail and draw you into the game world. Which it should. Cause that moment you start to play it should drag you in which it dose with this. Many might say that tones of reading is boring. But this is always a key point to good RPG. No way you could have some one just speak it all out. Some might say that would be better some would say not. Hence why having both in it. Is much better. The detailed conversations from the characters and npc's down to the codex notes which give you information.

The Graphics: Perfect and still now perfect in my books for an RPG like this one. The Characters are life like, even in the cinematic's. The towns and Cities are well detailed and work with the time period of the game. The npc's and even the animals. The darkness in it work even well better for game and story. Some might say it dose not. But I beg to differ.

The Music: It is great. It enhances the game amazingly, drawing you into the game even more. So much work put into it, It is certainly one of the things I love in this game. Nothing more I can say.

The Reply Value: The reply value of this game. Is great to reply as the other classes certainly makes it worth while indeed. Even go different ways with them in the sense of character. Yes there is mods out there you can use to further enhance that. But on just the game it is perfect. It is certainly one game I will reply many times out of my large and I use that loosely game collection.

Overall: This game is one all you RPG players should certainly have. Graphics, story, Detail. Everything works perfectly for this game. I give this 100% and 10/10
  25. Mar 16, 2011
    A script and dialogue to rival Planescape: Torment. That's the highest praise I could ever give a game. Play it through and be prepared to be engrossed, captivated, and moved in equal measure. As far as a sidenote in terms of gameplay, its rather micro-managed combat can take a bit of getting used to, but is ultimately rewarding and challenging. Looks great, plays great, reads evenA script and dialogue to rival Planescape: Torment. That's the highest praise I could ever give a game. Play it through and be prepared to be engrossed, captivated, and moved in equal measure. As far as a sidenote in terms of gameplay, its rather micro-managed combat can take a bit of getting used to, but is ultimately rewarding and challenging. Looks great, plays great, reads even better. Utterly superb. Expand
  26. Sep 5, 2011
    If you have the ultimate edition like me, you'll find this is one of the best RPGs in long time, unlike the sequel which is pretty crap due to console button bashing gameplay, this game maintains a PC grade experience who prefer a bit of strategy and planning. Excellent story, decent graphics, easily 100+ hours of gameplay.
  27. Jun 24, 2011
    One reviewer called this game a love letter to the classic RPG, and it's true. Huge, epic story on the scale of BG2, side plots, romance and a climactic final battle. Dragon Age: Origins brings the formula up to date. It has top-down-view tactical combat with a custom ruleset that works far better than the D&D one -- no "resting", and warriors and rogues have a range of abilities now!One reviewer called this game a love letter to the classic RPG, and it's true. Huge, epic story on the scale of BG2, side plots, romance and a climactic final battle. Dragon Age: Origins brings the formula up to date. It has top-down-view tactical combat with a custom ruleset that works far better than the D&D one -- no "resting", and warriors and rogues have a range of abilities now! Multiple endings, and even a gay romance plot that's been the subject of controversy but that I thought was rather good and a step forward for the genre. A little cliche and with some slow bits, but basically excellent. Expand
  28. Jul 5, 2011
    Dragon Age Origins has a different feel than most RPG's that i am used to, though i still enjoyed the game the story sucked me right in yet it wasn't perfect the mechanics were fun but took some getting used too gameplay was more strategic than action this is were it hurts me the most i like Action Role Playing Games like Diablo 2 LOD and Dragon Age Origins took some getting used to. OverDragon Age Origins has a different feel than most RPG's that i am used to, though i still enjoyed the game the story sucked me right in yet it wasn't perfect the mechanics were fun but took some getting used too gameplay was more strategic than action this is were it hurts me the most i like Action Role Playing Games like Diablo 2 LOD and Dragon Age Origins took some getting used to. Over all this game is worth the money If you are interesting don't hesitate its should be relatively cheap now. Expand
  29. Nov 2, 2013
    Simply one of the best role playing computer games ever made, a fascinating world that sucks you in with superbly realized characters and a great game mechanic. One of Bioware's best, and that's saying something,
  30. Nov 23, 2011
    Excellent RPG, I rank this game up there with the first Neverwinter Nights. It's also cheap enough now where you can pick up the expansion and all the DLC for a reasonable price. Give it a try, I would be very surprised if you come away disappointed.
  31. Dec 11, 2011
    Played through to about three-quarters of the PC version of the game so far, so I would say I'm not being too quick to give my rating. Engaging storyline, fun mechanics, natural and well paced leveling up (unlike most leveling systems - makes you feel stronger but not overpowered, and fun even playing warriors, unlike traditional hack and slash, there are actually fun clickable abilitiesPlayed through to about three-quarters of the PC version of the game so far, so I would say I'm not being too quick to give my rating. Engaging storyline, fun mechanics, natural and well paced leveling up (unlike most leveling systems - makes you feel stronger but not overpowered, and fun even playing warriors, unlike traditional hack and slash, there are actually fun clickable abilities for them). Their stats system is quite enjoyable - there are no "wasted" stats - even Magic (something like intelligence in classical DnD) is specifically useful for a warrior. Be warned though, battles are challenging - in some cases, you'll need several reloads trying out different tactics or just hoping for the best (along the lines of: COME ON! DANG MAGE, JUST LET YOURSELF BE STUNNED ALREADY and don't unleash that damn lightning storm... ), especially if you refuse to lower the difficulty to easy mode (which I insisted on) (also please heed the advice by the game: don't always expect a full frontal assault of your party of four versus twenty enemies to work - please... you're powerful, but not godlike powerful...). You'll also need to master the pause button (IT"S NOT MEANT TO BE A REAL-TIME BATTLE SYSTEM), much like the Baldur's Gate series, which may be a bit confusing for some players, but once you get the hang of it, it is actually very enjoyable - e.g. it lets you tell the character to cast the high level blizzard storm, and you can watch the effects only when you are ready, and prepare combo spells to follow up without it being a confusing click-fest. As for the critics, who seem to be mainly the Oblivion converts (I payed to play it too, and it is fun in its own way), but this is a different type of RPG - one where the focus is on a strong story line, and less on things like getting lost in a maze or spending eight hours doing something mundane like fishing and perhaps never managing to get on with the story (as per Oblivion). The most impressive facet of this game to me is the amount of detail put into it - every SINGLE line is actor-voiced, and you can actually feel the emotions. The back story is also rich, including mini-treatises and actual wordings on plot items, but the game mechanics give you the option to read them only if you feel like it (warning: if English isn't one of your language, you may not be able to enjoy it much, some side quests require you to do "reading comprehension" to get it right; and you may also not appreciate the often interesting and amusing banter between companions). The developers also make sure to include snippets in the game that flatter the player, which actually succeed in making you feel smug about yourself when they do happen. Note: you're not doing justice to the game if you aren't playing in maximum graphics capability. Anyway, after I first played it for like five hours, and it was only starting to dawn on me that the attention to details were actually going to persist throughout the game, I was going like - "OMG! I can't believe I payed only thirty (Singapore) dollars (~20 USD) to play this game. How in the world are the developers going to recoup their losses from hiring all these graphic designers and voice actors? They must have spent a gazillion hours making the game. Please don't go bust anytime soon, I really want more of these priceless pieces of art...". Apparently, there are also different back stories depending on which class and race you choose to play (no, I'm not going to spoil them by wiki-ing them up), so there's going to be replayability. You can also pick different companions for next time, or just rotate them as you like - backbenchers will level up together with your main party, so you don't have to farm for xp (there's actually not much mindless farming you can do in this game). All in all, you won't regret buying this game UNLESS 1. you want to live in an alternate world literally and maybe never get on with the story (get Oblivion instead, it's a great game too), 2. you want a five minute learning curve ("why can't i just click UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT and make the enemy drop dead instantly?"), 3. you want to play ONLY a single player ("Can dang Morrigan and Alistair just do your own thingies without me needing to tell you what to do? I don't care if you two can make wonderful sophisticated combos out of the range of the capacity of any computer AI, I'm only interested in controlling ME AND ONLY ME!!!"), 4. you don't actually want a DnD-ish RPG title and got to this page by mistake, 5. you are a disgruntled EA employee fired for scolding your boss's mum a whore or something like that, 6. I can't think of a 6... Expand
  32. Apr 9, 2012
    Epic rpg, great story, great combat, BW hit it out of the park. Its one that you need to think taticly with every member of your squad.One unique feature is the ability to play as one of your companions, additionally as experience yo set the actions off your team to take.
  33. Oct 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dragon Age: Origin thrusts you into a brand new fantasy world, on that borrows from some of the greatest series the fantasy genre has to offer, and blends them into a perfect game. You are a Grey Warden, warriors from all corners of the world, from all races, and all talents, to fight the blight, where thousands of Darkspawn and other horrid monsters serve the Archdemon, and the only ones that can kill an Archdemon; are the Grey Wardens.

Incredible characters and story, make this game personal. All the characters are well thought out, and unique, and all have special abilities. The story is engrossing, and you choose from one of six origin stories: Human Noble, Circle Mage, Dwarven noble, Dwarven commoner, City Elf, and Dalish Elf. All origin stories are different, and effect the way characters treat you.

Gameplay, is for the most part, great. You can choose to be a Warrior, Rogue, or Mage, and all are very different and fun to play.

The graphics, aren't very good. There are mods that make it look better, and it looks fine without mods, but it's not Battlefield 3.

Overall, the story, characters, gameplay, and world make this game a must have. And through multiple playthroughs, the mainquest, sidequests, and deeds, you will spend hundreds of hours on this game.
  34. Apr 17, 2012
    Hands down the best and most true RPG to date. This is/was and always will be, BioWare's best work - the best masterpiece created in video-gaming history, ever... !
  35. Mar 23, 2012
    Awesome game is awesome, the combat was a bit slow and your characterr beeing mute is a bit awkward from time to time, but the story and companions is well written.
  36. Mar 28, 2012
    A perfect ten for me -- Dragon Age: Origins is probably the best game I have ever played, at least since the 1980s; at least as good as Neverwinter Nights if not even better. I don't know a way to put it other than an enormous RPGasm of truly epic proportions that virtually never ends: when you feel you must be reaching the end of the humongous game, you're not even a third into it.

There

There is all the flexibility you expect from an RPG and replay value that is simply ridiculous: you can play the game several times and get truly different stories. The bang for the buck you get from Dragon Age: Origins is simply unheard of in an RPG. By the standards of contemporary games, the graphics are far from impressive. The game is so good it doesn't matter.
  37. Apr 2, 2012
    The last RPG made by Bioware. This game truly worth for "Baldur's Gate's spiritual successor" title. It is hard to understand how Bioware could make a disaster like Dragon Age 2 after this piece of art. Dragon Age: Origins addresses both RPG veterans and newbies. I strongly recommend this game to all gamers.
  38. Dec 10, 2013
    I wrote this review, because of the negative marks and low average score this game got. I mean, 8.5 REALLY This game is true to the baldur's gate inheritance and has amazing scenario, graphics, music, ethical choices, spell and fight system and I got the best thief-assasin character ever... For me it is a clear 10
  39. Apr 27, 2013
    Wow, Just wow. This game is quite simply a masterpiece, and i made an account here just to praise it. The story is absolutely riveting. The characters are complex, deep and quite often you may even feel like you're talking to a real person. And for some reason the negative comments have lead me to believe that those people have never actually played the game.
    If you're a fan of RPG's then
    If you're a fan of RPG's then i could not recommend this game enough!
  40. Apr 27, 2013
    Definitely one of my all-time favourite games. It is worth playing for the story alone but the gameplay is flawless and the graphics are first rate. It's a game I've come back to several times over the last few years and I'll no doubt keep playing it for years to come, there's not many other games I can say that about.
  41. Aug 14, 2013
    The problem with Dragon Age is that it ruins any future RPG experience. Once you finish it, every new RPG you play will be held up to DA:O in comparison and likely won't come close. This vast, immersive and fantastical world is full of everything you want from an RPG experience. One of the things I liked the most was the party-based combat system. You really have to think through eachThe problem with Dragon Age is that it ruins any future RPG experience. Once you finish it, every new RPG you play will be held up to DA:O in comparison and likely won't come close. This vast, immersive and fantastical world is full of everything you want from an RPG experience. One of the things I liked the most was the party-based combat system. You really have to think through each battle carefully and approach them tactically, not just picking your favourite weapon and hacking through as fast as you can. I really hope DA:Inquisition is similar in interface/style, because I'm worried I'll never get to play a game like this again. Expand
  42. Sep 24, 2013
    There is no better RPG than this one. The graphics are superb and the dialogue is immensely entertaining. What I can't understand is how the creators of the game could have abandoned this tremendous game in favor of the direction they took with the sequel. The is a must-have game for this genre.
  43. Oct 6, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of games such as Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 1+2, etc. I like RPGs with well-written characters, good story, and challenging, tactical combat. Dragon Age: Origins delivers on all these fronts and gave me one of the if not the greatest gaming experience I had in the last 10 years. No, it is not a perfect game and yes, there will be people who don't enjoy the combat, but if youI'm a huge fan of games such as Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 1+2, etc. I like RPGs with well-written characters, good story, and challenging, tactical combat. Dragon Age: Origins delivers on all these fronts and gave me one of the if not the greatest gaming experience I had in the last 10 years. No, it is not a perfect game and yes, there will be people who don't enjoy the combat, but if you like challenging RPG combat and are not opposed to a mixture of turn based and real time, do yourself a favor and give this game a shot. In my humble opinion it is a game worthy of being considered one of the true all-time great RPGs. I played it on nightmare dificulty, and it's been a very long time since beating bosses was so satisfying. Add the great dialogue, awesome characters, detailed fantasy world with a lot of interesting and immersive lore, and you get a RPG masterpiece. A review like this is never fully objecitve, but for me as an RPG fan, it was an absolutely excellent game and I can't not give this one a 10 out of 10. Expand
  44. Dec 14, 2013
    This game is like the old school Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 games, nowadays games focus too much on graphics and not gameplay and atmosphere. This game is a welcome reminder of the great games of past and itself is truly a masterpiece if you like the old school D&D games. I only say one thing more about this game GREAT!
  45. Dec 7, 2013
    Dragon Age: Origins is the best game I ever played(according to me of course).The relationships between you and your companions are so intense that I am really "role playing". Combat system is very good story is good, characters are great.Love this game
  46. Mar 29, 2014
    Truly masterpiece.Amazing game with epic storyline and great tactics system. Just simply love it.Finished this game 20 times including dlc. Great dialogs and great atmosphere. The feeling that you are transfered into this fantasy world and take the role of grey warden. Companiens are truly amazing with their own origin. You start from simple grey warden and in the end hailed as the hero.Truly masterpiece.Amazing game with epic storyline and great tactics system. Just simply love it.Finished this game 20 times including dlc. Great dialogs and great atmosphere. The feeling that you are transfered into this fantasy world and take the role of grey warden. Companiens are truly amazing with their own origin. You start from simple grey warden and in the end hailed as the hero. Rich choices in a dialog. Amazing abilities. And different endings and choices that will change the world. Even if dragon age 2 was not that good i cant wait for dragon age inquisition. This is gonna be Epic. I would give this game 10 out of 10. Sound music storyline tactics gameplay missions and all other aspects are truly amazing.One of the best games i have ever played Expand
  47. Oct 22, 2010
    Great RPG. Amazing customisation of how you want your party members to respond to different situations. Once you start getting some levels into you and your party and opening up tactic slots the game becomes a LOT of fun as you can set all their tactics up to deal with most situations allowing you to just concentrate on how your player wants to fight and then jumping over to your otherGreat RPG. Amazing customisation of how you want your party members to respond to different situations. Once you start getting some levels into you and your party and opening up tactic slots the game becomes a LOT of fun as you can set all their tactics up to deal with most situations allowing you to just concentrate on how your player wants to fight and then jumping over to your other party members if something extraordinary is going on and requires specific potions/buffs. Lots of choices to make throughout the game that DO change the experience enough to allow at least 3 different playthroughs. Really interesting environments, good enough graphics. Sounds and atmosphere are spot on. I guess i'm taking a point off for minor graphics issues and some annoyance at some story arcs. This is easily made up for with the multitude of side quests allowing me to get 80 hrs out of my first playthrough with this almost perfect game. Play it if you want to enjoy the best of modern RPGs out there. Expand
  48. Dec 6, 2010
    Hacking down enemies and fighting an evil demon spawn; sounds like a generic role-playing game. Dragon Age Origins is anything but ordinary because of the depth of its story, the highly interactive environment, and the complexity of the non-player characters. Created by BioWare for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Dragon Age Origins is a fantasy RPG that was at the cutting edge of videoHacking down enemies and fighting an evil demon spawn; sounds like a generic role-playing game. Dragon Age Origins is anything but ordinary because of the depth of its story, the highly interactive environment, and the complexity of the non-player characters. Created by BioWare for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Dragon Age Origins is a fantasy RPG that was at the cutting edge of video game technology when it was created and an inspiration for a whole new breed of video game. Before the game began I was able to select my characterâ Expand
  49. May 20, 2011
    dragon age origins is pretty much the best PC RPG since Balur's Gate II, My first rpg is Baldur's Gate II which is still the pinnacle of the PC rpgs till this date imho. Dragon age origins is hugely reminiscent of Baldur's Gate II in concept and gameplay, although I could see it being confusing for people who weren't fans of the genre back then. Yet the D&D fans (I am not one of them) maydragon age origins is pretty much the best PC RPG since Balur's Gate II, My first rpg is Baldur's Gate II which is still the pinnacle of the PC rpgs till this date imho. Dragon age origins is hugely reminiscent of Baldur's Gate II in concept and gameplay, although I could see it being confusing for people who weren't fans of the genre back then. Yet the D&D fans (I am not one of them) may not agree with this since DAO's combat mechanics is modernized. However, the witty writings, characters, interactions and puzzles really draw myself back to Baldur's gate II. the interactive cinematic in the game is highly inspired by kotor, but this is not a bad thing since keeping everybody happy is still important. RPGs used to be about telling a story with you as the hero/villain. sadly the most popular rpgs right now like diablo and TES threw the core of rpgs out the window. But DAO shows a new way combining modernized tactical combat, dramatic story telling, and involving characters together to form a true epic. Expand
  50. Dec 24, 2013
    The game really looks and shocking still, even after its release it very fun to play, and want to hope that these games will be in the future. This Masterpiece!
  51. Mar 17, 2011
    Simply one of the best RPG i ever played. A real mature story, with real choices which guides your epic adventure. The relations with companions are really fantastics, and romance give a funny touch (I will never forget Morigan ;) ) . Game-play and characteristic of each companion could be configured. Sure the world isn't open than Oblivion but the rest give a real immersive game.
  52. Mar 20, 2011
    Fantastic game in a lot of ways, but the best is the story/character immersion. The graphics could have been sharper, but personally I can forgive that. Gameplay is decent; it's not the greatest but by the end of the game you do have a lot of options on your task bar and several playstyles within the tree design to choose from (a community mod that allows you to respec your Warden is aFantastic game in a lot of ways, but the best is the story/character immersion. The graphics could have been sharper, but personally I can forgive that. Gameplay is decent; it's not the greatest but by the end of the game you do have a lot of options on your task bar and several playstyles within the tree design to choose from (a community mod that allows you to respec your Warden is a must). The game included a toolkit for mod makers, and there are a ton of options to improve the game experience that you can choose from. Expand
  53. Mar 22, 2011
    I found the artwork absolutely gorgeous, and the interface extremely slick. Some things were 'streamlined' compared to the first, but I much preferred the new interface. Combat was still challenging and required strategic placement and use of skills - though I did miss friendly fire on Hard mode. I loved the new ability trees and crafting mechanics, which didn't feel like a chore.I found the artwork absolutely gorgeous, and the interface extremely slick. Some things were 'streamlined' compared to the first, but I much preferred the new interface. Combat was still challenging and required strategic placement and use of skills - though I did miss friendly fire on Hard mode. I loved the new ability trees and crafting mechanics, which didn't feel like a chore.

But what I really play Dragon Age for is the story. This one did not disappoint. It felt a bit slow at the start, since Act I is mostly building up your character through various tasks without really being able to see where it is going. The threads fairly quickly begin to weave together though, into very satisfying second and third acts. The story isn't quite as epic as the first one, but I think a more personal story is actually the better choice here, rather than a "save the world again" rehash. My character went through moments of tragic loss, impossible moral dilemmas, and a shocking betrayal.

The new companions can give the old ones a run for their money, and having a protagonist that isn't silent is a big improvement in character interaction. Secondary characters are extremely well done; the Arishok was a particular favourite.
  54. Mar 28, 2011
    This game is the best rpg since baldur,s gate, the story is great, also graphics are great, this game has no bad sides, the best part of game is that you can choose how you want to start the game.
  55. Mar 29, 2011
    Probably the best traditional pc role playing game of the decade, with some great characters and a nice setting. Battle system was fine, and while I would have appreciated to have less dlcs and more contents in the initial package the game is still up there with the best.
  56. Apr 19, 2011
    One of the great RPG, that's real. nothing much to complain about the game: The combat, the gameplay, the character, the story, quest, items...all is great. The things I have to complain myself is I've played this game so late! Maybe many people criticize about its difficulty: It is very hard on the hard and nightmare mode, I agree, but I enjoy the challenge :). The things make the game isOne of the great RPG, that's real. nothing much to complain about the game: The combat, the gameplay, the character, the story, quest, items...all is great. The things I have to complain myself is I've played this game so late! Maybe many people criticize about its difficulty: It is very hard on the hard and nightmare mode, I agree, but I enjoy the challenge :). The things make the game is not so perfect is about the main character: except the small dialogues in the gameplay, they doesn't speak dialogue option! Overall, the game that worth to waste money that every gamer should have in their collection. 10 points!!! Expand
  57. Apr 28, 2011
    This is the best RPG of the last 3 years at least, and is a truly epic and inspiring adventure. There is so much depth to this game its ridiculous - obviously TONS of game design went into it. I bought this after purchasing DA2 and realizing it was terrible, and seeing reviews of this game were much different. This is a far superior game to DA2.
    In any case - this is awesome, and the
    In any case - this is awesome, and the "Ultimate" edition is now only like $40. thats like 200 hrs of gameplay for $40. sweet.
  58. May 2, 2011
    I hated this game when I first started playing it, the opening story seemed completely fake, and unconsuming. After getting into the game, I could not help myself but to download and complete every DLC, and am halfway through Awakening. I fell in love with the characters and the world, and if I make a mistake in a quest, where I accidentally choose the evil option, I am tormented by "notI hated this game when I first started playing it, the opening story seemed completely fake, and unconsuming. After getting into the game, I could not help myself but to download and complete every DLC, and am halfway through Awakening. I fell in love with the characters and the world, and if I make a mistake in a quest, where I accidentally choose the evil option, I am tormented by "not saving" before making the choice!

I can honestly say that the game gets better and better as you play it, and it is definitely worth spending some time to get hooked.
  59. May 17, 2011
    Amazing game, one of the best RPG'S ever made, incredible deep story and dialogues, perfect gameplay, and wonderfull voice acting . Totally recommend for everyone and a must have if you are a RPG fan, in conclusion a long and incredibly satisfiying game.
  60. Jun 12, 2011
    A beautiful game that held my attention throughout, made me emotional at times (ranging from fear, to genuine anger, to affection, to crushing sadness - you name it) and ended wonderfully. When I finished it, I had no choice but to replay it. And I've replayed it many times - it has marvellous replay value. It's not perfect, no. But it's a damn good game. Anyone who likes RPGs, or evenA beautiful game that held my attention throughout, made me emotional at times (ranging from fear, to genuine anger, to affection, to crushing sadness - you name it) and ended wonderfully. When I finished it, I had no choice but to replay it. And I've replayed it many times - it has marvellous replay value. It's not perfect, no. But it's a damn good game. Anyone who likes RPGs, or even just a good story, should play this. Okay, yes, it may have quite a generic 'gather-an-army-and-save-the-world-from-the-big-bad' plotline, but it's the sub-plots and the choices and the characters that make it so rich. Expand
  61. May 22, 2012
    Fantastic game. Anyone whon likes RPG's should get and play this ASAP, it's an instant classing. And unlike Mass effect 3, the game ends how you choose!
  62. Jun 7, 2013
    The last great mainstream RPG. Probably Bioware's last great game. It was definitely downhill from here. Lots of replay value, great characters, great dialogue, engaging gameplay. It's a challenging game that makes you stop and think about your tactics and choices in combat, and that's rare these days. You can and will make mistakes developing your characters. Replaying the game is alwaysThe last great mainstream RPG. Probably Bioware's last great game. It was definitely downhill from here. Lots of replay value, great characters, great dialogue, engaging gameplay. It's a challenging game that makes you stop and think about your tactics and choices in combat, and that's rare these days. You can and will make mistakes developing your characters. Replaying the game is always a gem and you'll usually find new things to notice every time you play through. This game made a big impression on me, and it really illustrated to me just how horrible most video games are because it provided such a high quality experience. A must own, a rental will not do it justice. Also, mod support for the PC is a plus! Expand
  63. HD3
    Dec 16, 2011
    Excellent game, the combat system is wide and varied, challenging but rarely frustrating, The enviroments are rich and well developed and a surprisingly rich plot with lots of character development which is lacking in a lot of other WRPGs. So refreshing to see a WRPG where the narrative is treated with as much care as the gameplay and enviroment. A guranteed crowd pleaser.
  64. Dec 21, 2011
    A true epic adventure which took me 70+ hours to complete, sidequests included. It has great characters, a rich and interesting world and a superb story!
  65. Jan 9, 2012
    This is the most solid fantasy RPG of the generation, and I loved every minute. It is quite Lord of the Rings (in a good way, if also in a cliched way), and there is not a huge amount of innovation to be found here. Nonetheless, the game world is rich and detailed, voice acting is excellent, companions are interesting for the most part, and combat is addictive and deep. The game is alsoThis is the most solid fantasy RPG of the generation, and I loved every minute. It is quite Lord of the Rings (in a good way, if also in a cliched way), and there is not a huge amount of innovation to be found here. Nonetheless, the game world is rich and detailed, voice acting is excellent, companions are interesting for the most part, and combat is addictive and deep. The game is also long, and feels like a genuine epic (unlike, say, Oblivion, which feels oddly empty and soulless at times)........... This game is receiving a 8 from me on consoles, and a 10 on PC, simply because it is very 'click heavy', and is suited for mouse and keyboard over a controller. It's also been optimised for PC. Enjoy the game, ignore the sequel DA:2, and let's hope DA:3 builds on this solid foundation. Highly recommended. Expand
  66. Mar 11, 2012
    Dragon Age is very enjoyable experience. Of course there are some bumps here and there but overall this game is great. For example combat is not as fluid as it should be but engaging story, chalenging fights and some very memorable characters (Morrighan honey... I'll come back to you every year, I promise!) let me forget about minor issues and enjoy it a lot.
  67. Mar 19, 2012
    Dragon Age: Origins is what you would expect from Bioware, a polished rpg experience with great characters and background lore. The combat is tactical and challenging as you control four characters at a time. Positioning and strategy is very important if you want to defeat some of the bosses in the game, atleast on the higher difficulties. When it comes to the world design I guess it's ok.Dragon Age: Origins is what you would expect from Bioware, a polished rpg experience with great characters and background lore. The combat is tactical and challenging as you control four characters at a time. Positioning and strategy is very important if you want to defeat some of the bosses in the game, atleast on the higher difficulties. When it comes to the world design I guess it's ok. Some areas are a little too small, textures are bad and they have a lot of reused dungeons. Despite some of the flaws this is still one of the best rpg experiences out there for the pc Expand
  68. Apr 26, 2012
    Where to start? this game is the first BioWare game since KOTOR that can truly be called an RPG: fantastic combat system, most of the characters are deep and very interesting (although they ask you money for the best one, belive it) and the world is fantastic in its history and lore, even if it is a rip-off of many others. The problem is the main story. Decision making is there, itWhere to start? this game is the first BioWare game since KOTOR that can truly be called an RPG: fantastic combat system, most of the characters are deep and very interesting (although they ask you money for the best one, belive it) and the world is fantastic in its history and lore, even if it is a rip-off of many others. The problem is the main story. Decision making is there, it matters, but the overall plot, well... there isn't one. World is in chaos, and you race to its four corners too gather help, end every were you ask for it you'll have to work for it, so you could stand a chance in the final battle. Simple and very bad as that. Expand
  69. Oct 23, 2012
    While it isn't as complex and huge as older cRPGs, Dragon: Age Origins at least TRIES to be like them, and that alone makes it better than most western RPGs on the market. The huge, original (not D&D) world is really well crafted and the graphics are pretty to look at, even in 2012. This could have been the birth of an amazing series of games but sadly Bioware decided to screw it all upWhile it isn't as complex and huge as older cRPGs, Dragon: Age Origins at least TRIES to be like them, and that alone makes it better than most western RPGs on the market. The huge, original (not D&D) world is really well crafted and the graphics are pretty to look at, even in 2012. This could have been the birth of an amazing series of games but sadly Bioware decided to screw it all up with Dragon Age 2. Even if Dragon Age 3 is good, the series is always going to have a huge blemish on it and that's a shame. Expand
  70. Nov 13, 2012
    I never forgot this awesome game. It was one of my best game no contest. I liked it the story ,the deep of interaction with pnj , the system of skill . One bad point , the game was so cheated with a Wiz blood spell just awesome . But one of my best feeling witht Morrow FoT 1 and others beautiful games i forgot XD
  71. Jul 11, 2013
    this is by far one of my favorite games probably top 5 of all time. the story is so in depth has lots of cool secrets the game play was original and fun characters were awesome basically if you haven't played this game you missed out pick it up it's better than part 2. i would give this a 10 for perfect but it was lacking good expansions the few i played were kind of lame. Awakening (thethis is by far one of my favorite games probably top 5 of all time. the story is so in depth has lots of cool secrets the game play was original and fun characters were awesome basically if you haven't played this game you missed out pick it up it's better than part 2. i would give this a 10 for perfect but it was lacking good expansions the few i played were kind of lame. Awakening (the main one) had a corny twist to make up a story with characters that weren't nearly as cool to add on to a game that was so amazing. The only big thing i would've changed with origins is having the skill reset tool like they did in awakening i had a good fun with that. Otherwise Origins has a TON of replay ability and was just plain amazing. Expand
  72. May 21, 2014
    The best RPG game I ever played.
    The best RPG game I ever played.
    People who don't like fighting system in Bioware games might not be comfortable with it (pausing the game during combat and choosing what will the four characters in the party do by clicking at icons with different abilities). But I can't imagine that it would make somebody stop playing the game, because the story, the world, the atmosphere and most of the characters are awesome.
    I would define the story as semi-linear, because it will go the same way, but you choose the means. Only non-linear parts of the game are prolog and epilog.
  73. Nov 29, 2013
    Not only is the lore in DA: Origins fantastic, but the way Bioware was able to craft an engaging story around it from start to finish (the main storyline alone is probably 50+hrs) left me unable to put the game down until the end credits began to roll. The characters, the assorted collection of companions, the voice work, the personalities, the playful banter, the diversity on theNot only is the lore in DA: Origins fantastic, but the way Bioware was able to craft an engaging story around it from start to finish (the main storyline alone is probably 50+hrs) left me unable to put the game down until the end credits began to roll. The characters, the assorted collection of companions, the voice work, the personalities, the playful banter, the diversity on the main/side quests, and most importantly the choices presented at every turn allow you to really shape the adventure in your own eyes.

The choices themselves were all so deeply routed in fundamental morality that the story essentially teases, tempts, and tests your conscience and better judgment. You basically have a little angel on one shoulder and a little demon on the other the entire time. Do it! Do it! They whisper, but who will you listen to? Throw in the fact that the storytelling itself is filled with all forms of deceit, scandal, and just about every other Shakespearean trick in the book made it a joy to play through.

And of course mention to the combat is important. Tactical, strategic, challenging. Its the standard deep proven D&D real-time (optionally pause-able) party-based combat that just works. I never had any issues with the AI not following my pre-designed tactic rule sets or the enemy AI doing anything dumb. Only slightly disappointing thing here was the limitation on the number of tactical slots for each character as it tended to hamper more intricate and useful automated strategies.

Final Score: 9/10. Love the first play-through and still feel a second one has lots to offer not only story wise, but difficulty wise should one dare to test their skill on the Hard or Insane difficulties.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Various nitpicks below, which prevented me from giving a 10/10. I might as well mention them I figure:

- Despite being the Ultimate edition patched to the max this game engine loved to crash like crazy on a standard Intel i5 multicore machine. Literally every 10-30mins another random crash to the point I'd have to frequently quick save or risk losing my precious progress. Only after I forced the game to run on a single core did the crashing cease entirely (thank GOD!)

- Enemies never respawn... ever. If you encounter an area that you are struggling to clear there is no going back and farming some levels so that you can comeback stronger. What you are is what you have. No more raising of gold to buy more potions. No compensating for earlier build errors in your characters. Everything is simply permanent. You can literally be f'ed and have no choice but to drop the game to Easy difficulty level to proceed (especially at the endgame which loves to absolutely f' you hard by dumping you into inescapable quests with no shops to replenish supplies between boss fights. Because of this the last 3 hours of my 60 hour journey were spent in gaming heII).

- The in-game crafting was lacking to say the least (no smithing at all and the other skills like herbalism mostly an after thought). I also felt at times the character skillsets to be lacking (especially the general skills shared between all classes). And...making you have to hunt the game world to learn some specializations for your characters felt completely unnecessary (one shouldn't have to run to a Wiki to have fun.)

- The shapeshifter class. I was so looking forward to this one...only the game makes it so frustrating to use that I literally abandoned it all together. Thing is, the game forceably turns all shapeshifters into human form during every cutscene. Problem? Every boss fight begins with a cutscene. Bigger problem? To reshapeshift requires not only a long spellcast but also a long cooldown on the skill itself. Yeah, you are essentially screwed for even attempting to use this class. Seriously, insta-shifting the character back into animal form after the scene ends would have been a simple fix how did this game have so many patches and an Ultimate edition with this kind of gamebreaking nuisance going unnoticed? Even one of the most useful skills "Overwhelm" wasn't included in the tactic's menu at all for shapeshifters (the dog yes, but not shapeshifters) so if you wanted to use it you always had to micromanage it. *shakes head*

- The final boss fight was an epic battle between you and *spoiler alert* the fking P.O.S. camera. To have such a useful for camera for 95% of the game only to pull that. Really guys?
  74. May 31, 2013
    Great game that tells a really great story and plays very well. This game is about telling a deep story and immersing you into your character and defining who you are and how you will become the strongest of the strong.

This, with the exception of Mass Effect series which I enjoyed all three was the last great story telling for Bioware.
  75. Jan 19, 2013
    Prior to Dragon Age Origins I was sure that Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Star Wars were the best Bioware games and that we would never see anything like that again. But DA:O came out and made me realize that Bioware still had what it took to make great games. The story, characters, gameplay and loot make this game a wonder to behold. I played this with the expansion (note I saidPrior to Dragon Age Origins I was sure that Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Star Wars were the best Bioware games and that we would never see anything like that again. But DA:O came out and made me realize that Bioware still had what it took to make great games. The story, characters, gameplay and loot make this game a wonder to behold. I played this with the expansion (note I said expansion--- not DLC) and this game was an outstanding experience. The presence of an online community that made mods made this game even better. Don't hesitate to get this game. It deserves your time and money and you will be glad you gave it a shot. Expand
  76. Jul 26, 2013
    A very good game which I played thru once and explored almost everything. A whole month of fun. I am still giving it 9 and not 10 because of the ending. I expected some twist in the end or an additional zone or something, but it was just the last dragon and done. Dunno, the ending was just too predictable.
    Also, there is just 1 mage and 1 healer in the game (which are hard to keep both), and too many melee characters.
    All this said, the game is very very good. Anyone should see it. It has amazing story, very deep and balanced gameplay. Actually, it's one of those rare games where I cared to read dialogs! That's something.
  77. Jun 19, 2013
    Aaaand this is why I love BioWare. Immersive and immense game. Great graphics and effects and a story and characters that are well written and you get invested in. Honestly, these are some of the most memorable characters in gaming memory, in my opinion, and it is so much fun to see the relationships first-hand between all the characters as you're walking around and they talk to each otherAaaand this is why I love BioWare. Immersive and immense game. Great graphics and effects and a story and characters that are well written and you get invested in. Honestly, these are some of the most memorable characters in gaming memory, in my opinion, and it is so much fun to see the relationships first-hand between all the characters as you're walking around and they talk to each other and react to the environments and missions differently depending on who's with you. Each character had unbelievable depth and, with the excellent voice acting and graphics, make for a very real experience when trying to dig deeper into each character as the story progresses.

Arguably the most immersive RPG game I've played so far. Plus the Origins aspect where you, in a way, craft your own backstory, and how that affects how not only the characters treat you but the options made available to you and how you can progress the game, that is truly magical.

Essentially, one of my all-time favorites and one that I have replayed numerous times (and I still play it even today!) If you haven't played it, and you love RPG games with an incredibly immersive fantasy world with memorable characters and multiple options about how to move the story (and accompanying consequences), this is the game for you.
  78. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is huge, and you get the feeling that you build your own story with many decisions, starting by how you create your character. Your companions are enjoyable, as well as the feeling of strategy in battles. It looks very good too, but the most important thing is that as a modern RPG, it didn't betray what I expected from it.
  79. Feb 24, 2013
    A Masterpiece game, that is made by a great company in Bioware. Story is always interesting, allowing you to pick your own character race and each one has their own back story. Like playing as a Human Noble, City Elf, Circle Mage, etc. Gameplay is great, with great use of a tactical system and dialogue in-game provides great fun. Graphics are great, with blood and gore. Presentation isA Masterpiece game, that is made by a great company in Bioware. Story is always interesting, allowing you to pick your own character race and each one has their own back story. Like playing as a Human Noble, City Elf, Circle Mage, etc. Gameplay is great, with great use of a tactical system and dialogue in-game provides great fun. Graphics are great, with blood and gore. Presentation is like a story book style, and everything is easy to use. Sound in the game is great with amazing atmospheric music, and voice overs are well done. Although, it can be a bit on the low volume, so you might have to crank your volume up more than usual to hear. Also, some DLCs have come out for it to enhance the story even more. Overall, a masterpiece game. I don't remember another RPG like it, maybe except Neverwinter Nights 1. Expand
  80. Oct 14, 2014
    Very, very good. Interesting locations, NPCs, quests and storyline. Great character customization options, even for your NPC party members. Even pulls off humor with surprising frequency. There are one or two minor niggles, like the fact some NPC companions start off with sub-optimal skillsets, but that can be fixed with mods. All in all, one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Just don'tVery, very good. Interesting locations, NPCs, quests and storyline. Great character customization options, even for your NPC party members. Even pulls off humor with surprising frequency. There are one or two minor niggles, like the fact some NPC companions start off with sub-optimal skillsets, but that can be fixed with mods. All in all, one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Just don't bother with the sequel, DA2 isn't as good as this. Expand
  81. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    A great game. Very immersing story, believable world, interesting NPCs, fun and demanding combat. You could replay it with a new class (as i did) and still game was great. Highly recommended.
  82. Apr 2, 2013
    This is by far the best party-based RPG of the last 5 years. The fantasy setting of this game might seem generic at first, but the story develops a lot and has its charm. The party members are very well crafted, the dialogue is great, even the secondary quests are pretty interesting. The main thing that makes this game unique for this generation is the combat. It really takes a few hoursThis is by far the best party-based RPG of the last 5 years. The fantasy setting of this game might seem generic at first, but the story develops a lot and has its charm. The party members are very well crafted, the dialogue is great, even the secondary quests are pretty interesting. The main thing that makes this game unique for this generation is the combat. It really takes a few hours for the non-hardcore party-based rpg players to get used to it, but it's really well thought and requires a lot of tactics. Every battle seems unique, every character has its weaknesses. Even the inventory is greatly designed, unlike most of the Bioware games (and other rpgs alike). Forget about the hype surrounding the Mass Effect trilogy, this is the game to play from Bioware. Expand
  83. May 16, 2013
    Easily one of the best fantasy RPG, but a huge minus for me the main antagonist(Loghain aside) is a mindless dragon, and you're protagonist doesn't speak. Conclusion if you like fantasy this is must own 4 you!
  84. Apr 28, 2013
    An argument can be made that dragon age origins does nothing new. All the things that are in this game have been done before, right? So why play it?

Because it does those things right! Bioware successfully replaces the Dnd world with a world created by their own writers. The overarching plot is simple (an evil force that soughts to destroy everything), but has been done very well. Combat has been refined from baldur's gate/icewind dale series. Choice system is good (not great), etc.. But what this game does primarily well is :

A) Content! Loads of rpgs have lots of contents. But DA:O makes that content interesting TILL THE END. At no point do you feel bored and exhausted.

B) Characters! They really stand out and you will remember them even after you have played the game. Each of them has their own motivations for why they are in your team. Again, this has been done before, but DA:O does this all most better than all the other rpgs (atleast wrpgs :P)

For me, Dragon Age Origins wasn't a game. It was an experience
  85. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is a 10/10. A lot better than the sequel. If you don't have it yet, then run to the store and buy it!! This is a must play for all rpg and strategy lovers out there. :D
  86. Jun 17, 2013
    Best RPG of all time. Huge world, fantastic voice acting, interactive, reactive story that takes into account all of your decisions. Great modding community, tons of additional content created for it. Great tactical pausable real-time combat system, with amazing cinematic kill cams. Multiple unique origin stories, you can play as a Dwarf or an Elf and have a completely different gameBest RPG of all time. Huge world, fantastic voice acting, interactive, reactive story that takes into account all of your decisions. Great modding community, tons of additional content created for it. Great tactical pausable real-time combat system, with amazing cinematic kill cams. Multiple unique origin stories, you can play as a Dwarf or an Elf and have a completely different game to start. Looong game, lots and lots of content. Each character is very memorable, Morrigan being one of the most memorable video game characters of all time. I can't recommend this game highly enough, especially on PC. Major shout outs to the mods Dragon Age Redesigned and Combat Tweaks. If you do play it, check those out. Expand
  87. Feb 6, 2014
    Started this game as a female dalish elf and it played fine enough, would've given it about an 8/10. After it crashed about an hour and a half in though and hadn't saved (my computer's fault, NOT the game's), I restarted as a male human noble. The story lines are actually different enough it peaked my interest to keep going. Turned into a game that jus got better and better. Recommend thisStarted this game as a female dalish elf and it played fine enough, would've given it about an 8/10. After it crashed about an hour and a half in though and hadn't saved (my computer's fault, NOT the game's), I restarted as a male human noble. The story lines are actually different enough it peaked my interest to keep going. Turned into a game that jus got better and better. Recommend this off the charts. Expand
  88. Dec 31, 2013
    A masterful game in every sense that will go down as one of the greatest Western RPGs ever made. Fantastic story & setting, grown-up dialogue, incredible interaction with characters, stirring music, immersive gameplay. If you like RPGs, pick this up and play it.

What I love about the story: Bioware takes long-running fantasy races like elves & dwarves and puts their own stamp on them. Nothing about the world of Ferelden feels generic or lifted straight from another story. The intricately detailed backstory for virtually every group you run across is just fascinating. I read every codex entry I found, surprised at how deep the writing was. I could go on but it would be hard to do without getting into spoilers.

Combat on the PC takes a very strategic bent and I recommend it over console ports. Graphics are also better. It is not easy but not overly difficult, either. It requires you to pay attention to what you’re doing and plan out attacks rather than sit there & button mash repeatedly, which is very nice. Boss battles are appropriately difficult, often requiring several tries and special strategies but not to the point where you will be breaking the keyboard in frustration.

There’s nothing I can fault this game with. All of the origin stories were fun to play through and resulted in me connecting with all six possible character types. The multiple endings were neat to explore, as well. It was an amazing experience and a joy to play. Such a shame that Bioware is in decline and butchered the sequel because Dragon Age had unlimited potential to be a long-running RPG franchise. Even so, DAO will always hold a special place in my heart.
  89. Nov 7, 2013
    Goods
    - Excellent story
    - CHOICES - Character customization - Gameplay - Characters - Music Especially the title screen music, got my attention after awhile) - Challenging yet rewarding ! - SO much content as there are so many play through available - Good graphics Bads - Random graphic glitches - Sometimes huge difficulty spike - Can feel boring and repetitive Extras -
    Goods
    - Excellent story
    - CHOICES
    - Character customization
    - Gameplay
    - Characters
    - Music Especially the title screen music, got my attention after awhile)
    - Challenging yet rewarding !
    - SO much content as there are so many play through available
    - Good graphics

Bads
    - Random graphic glitches
    - Sometimes huge difficulty spike
    - Can feel boring and repetitive

Extras
    - Highly recommended to ANY RPG players out there
  90. Nov 15, 2013
    There's only a few good RPG's this gen and this is one of them, i couldn't wait to sit down and continue the story when away from the Xbox. If you're a RPG fan this is a must play.
  91. Mar 10, 2014
    One of the best RPG games I have ever played, spent 100's of hours replaying it, which is the key to a successful game. If you haven't played it yet - try it. Fantastic.

Superb storyline, great plot and characters.
  92. Dec 19, 2013
    I love RPG style, and this is one of those game that enjoyed a lot. Nice story, characters, spells, combat system, etc. The world needs more games like this one!
  93. May 26, 2014
    Dragon Age: Origins (along with Diablo I & II, and Skyrim) is one of my favourites RPG of all times.

Unlike some others RPG, it can be played again and again, with completely different stories (I think there's a total of 6 main stories, each one offering approximately 40h of gameplay), depending on the character (race, class and background) that you choose. This is an absolutely amazing achievement that gives you so many hours of entertainment, with very diifferent and rich scripts in each story.

One of my favourite features is the complex, yet simple, strategy and tactis mechanics, where you can pause the game, give a set of orders to your individual characters of the party, and then un-pause it to follow up the action, changing from above the shoulder to top camera as you like.

I give this game a solid 10.
  94. Feb 6, 2014
    Best RPG of the decade. Epic story, well balanced skill trees, companions, you WILL have an opinion on. Sometimes the AI glitches a bit, but that's the DAO's only weakness. My score however does not include DLCs, which are not bad, but mostly just long and not really necessary.
  95. Mar 13, 2011
    A game worthy of my time. A great story coupled with some awesome character interactions and a not so simple combat system.

The game is only made better with the release of its sequel.
  96. Mar 25, 2011
    Dragon Age: Origins is what Bioware do best. I found the story interesting, and after around 90 hours of gameplay I finished the main story and probably about half the side quests. There is also a high re-playability value to the game, with three different classes all having different specialisation, many choices that can affect things later in the game and several starting stories forDragon Age: Origins is what Bioware do best. I found the story interesting, and after around 90 hours of gameplay I finished the main story and probably about half the side quests. There is also a high re-playability value to the game, with three different classes all having different specialisation, many choices that can affect things later in the game and several starting stories for your character to choose from. Graphically, it is acceptable but certainly not revolutionary. Many of the NPC's look the same and often lacking any real facial expressions. You get around seven companions to choose from, and whilst some of them are memorable and well written and voice acted, some sadly are not, but the beauty of a game like this is you can pick which companions to take along on your adventures and which ones you want to get to know better. The banter you get as you travel is at times entertaining. Combat is fun, but for a new comer to the genre or an inexperienced gamer it can be daunting. It takes a good while to learn how to play to each of the classes strengths and how to successfully set up each companion's tactic list properly. Even after doing so though, micro-management is important especially on higher levels. Overall, Dragon Age: Origins is tremendous value for money for a single player game and definitely worth a punt for all RPG fans and newcomers to the genre alike, especially now the Ultimate Edition has been released, which includes the original title, Awakenings and all nine DLC packs. Expand
  97. Dec 24, 2012
    I really like this game, a lot. It has a huge, and I mean HUGE replay value, with 3 deep classes, 3 different races to choose with choices of origins, which changes the story of your game and, even if small, the details change during your gameplay, even from your current gender. The story is interesting and has a lot of background that incites you to research for history, but also niceI really like this game, a lot. It has a huge, and I mean HUGE replay value, with 3 deep classes, 3 different races to choose with choices of origins, which changes the story of your game and, even if small, the details change during your gameplay, even from your current gender. The story is interesting and has a lot of background that incites you to research for history, but also nice turns and your choices will change some parts and even your party (some characters may or may not join you depending on what you will choose). However, there are quite some flaws that I couldn't skip or just avoid and that, sadly, annoyed me to no end. One small thing i want to add also is this: this game is impressive on the pc...but I firstly bought on the xbox and, unfortunely, the port to console is butchered in comparison, removing most of the details and slots of your skills, making it more an action game than a tactical rpg game. So, in short, if you're interested to this game, buy it on the pc...if your pc cannot run it, I highly suggest to avoid it, and here comes the flaws...and one of them is the combat. The game is an hybrid of action and strategy game (you can either control your character directly with your keyboard, or with an upper view like a strategy game) and it's not badly implemented at all...but the issues come once you have to do complicated fights, in which case you'll need to issue tactics (automatic orders) or give yourself orders using the pause button...but here's the problem, the AI in your control is horrible. I had my team doing few specific orders and yet they couldn't follow one properly! Whenever I told them to attack, they would stand still, and whenever they were supposed to attack or to heal, they would do nothing at all! I know in strategy games the orders are always constant but even the pre-set orders just don't work at all (and while on the console is kinda understandable, on the pc it should be working flawlessly). Also, the game is very limited in both freedom and enviroment: you have a map of the region and you can only visit certain locations, which will become more the more you play, but the game has a lot of secondary stuff and actions to do: you can create potions, traps and do also secondary quests...but there's no way to grind or farm those items and even the items you can buy will eventually finish, killing that sense of freedom that games like Oblivion or Skyrim has. The enviroment is far too limited too, infact you can't jump, swim, and you can only interact with certain items and people. I would mind too much if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of parts are on hills and such and you'll sense this limitation on your actions, Another limitations, not exactly small but I found it irritating, is the team itself. You have 4 people in your team, with your character as a predefinite and 3 more to add. The game has a sort of trinity system, with a tank, healer and dps scheme, and so even your group requires balance...which will limit, again, your team, because 2 of those 4 slots will be ALWAYS meant for a tank or a healer (or else 1, for a healer, which is a must). Unless you're one of those, you will be limited to add only 2 more members...and one of those will be a rogue, because it's the only class who can unlock chests and some doors, which even if they don't give much in items they will give you experience and since this game has no experience grind, it feels like a loss (infact, as a rogue, I had an higher level when I reached the same parts as my warrior or mage). I have more complain now, but it's rather personal...and it's the difficulty, which is very VERY unbalanced. I usually try to play games on normal difficulty but, since I'm lazy, I also play on easy. However, in this game , I could NOT pass over some early stages of the game on normal difficulty because they were just too hard, with enemies who could easily obliterate you and after playing not even 1 hour in! (and if you add the issues with the AI, you'll have big problems later on too). I probably just suck at this game but I do have to add one thing: I had the same difficulty issues in almost all Bioware games and so I really can't say it's just me, but I thought to add at least this detail, but all in all I still love this game and the huge amount of story driven choices, as well the huge background and great morality choices, it's one of those games that will make people enjoy each playthrough and even if flawed the game is just great and still detailed in some regards. I highly suggest to play, at least one playthrough, and in case you'll enjoy it even more, you'll have plenty of ways to restart the game, without countless hours of replay value at your disposal, even after 4 years of its release. Expand
  98. Apr 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At the time I started playing Dragon Age: Origins, I was a little sick of bloody, gore-filled games with depressing apocalyptic environments and was looking for something different. So it was suprising that despite the characters spending most of the game completely spattered with blood, and trudging through swamps, ruins, caves and cities on fire, I really did enjoy this game. The voice acting and characters are second-to-none, to the point that I went back and played the whole 100+ hours all over again straight away solely so I could seduce Alistair, and find out what that demon baby thing was all about. Well played, EA, not many games can boast that XD Particularly as voice acting can be a game killer for me (it's what ruined Champions online for me), and I was so extremely impressed with the talent in this game. Expand
  99. May 6, 2011
    Probably the most enjoyable game I've ever played (played on hardest level as Commoner Dwarf). Even the DLC were (mostly) good. Played to the very end and I actually felt "sad" to leave my party - whereas my normal response is "well I finished it".
  100. May 18, 2011
    A classic game that I will be replaying every few years for decades to come. The story, the characters, the setting... everything about this game impressed me and brought me back to the RPGs of a decade ago in spirit and in reality. If you haven't tried it yet, go out and get it!

1. If you're into rpgs, or rather if you love roleplaying in general, there's really no need to waste time reading any reviews of this game. The same goes if you regard games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 and the Baldurs Gate-series among the best computer games ever made. Because this game is everything a person like you look for in a game, and so much more. Be aware though, Dragon Age: Origins is not a revolution of the genre, rather it is an evolution, where Bioware has refined everything that made them into a formula as close to perfection as possible. Without a doubt one of the strongest Game of the year-candidates so far this year and a game we will remember with warm feelings many years to come.
  2. An outstanding story-driven RPG with fantastic writing, RPG depth and tough tactical combat. It's BioWare's best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. [Holiday 2009, p.38]
  3. Dragon Age Origins will keep you in front of your computer for hours! Graphics, sounds and the controls couldn’t be much better!