8.5

1. Oct 21, 2010
    The best. Ever. Sure, game preference is entirely subjective, but I cant help but feel that the negative review scores this game received were provided by people who never actually played the game. From the start, it's clear that the world of Thedas is an epic place, with conflict, nuances, and thousands of years of history. Likely you disagree, but don't believe the gamers giving this game a poor score. Beyond being a sublime game, dragon age origins pushes the boundaries of emotion, choice, and freedom within gaming. DAO doesn't simply faithfully receive Baldur's Gate II's mantle of best game out there, it rips that mante from BG2's cold, dead hands, then uses it as a weapon to single handedly enslave every other game in existence. Expand
  2. Aug 22, 2010
    This is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Sadly, many Bethesda fanboys will rate it as a 1 or 0 simply because it does not have the exact same aspects and gameplay as a Bethesda game. I know I will get many "not helpfuls" for this but I'm gonna go ahead and say it. Oblivion is garbage. Complete and utter trash. It has the worst leveling system of any game I've ever seen and the combat is boring and repetitive. The story is also more cliche than even this game. Fallout was a little better, but Bethesda is not the topic at hand. This game has excellent combat, hundreds of possible conversation permutations, a story that might not be the most original, but is at least somewhat compelling, and for the most part, good voice acting. Some people dislike the combat, which is understandable. This is not a game that can be played in real time. If you want to be successful in this game past the easy difficulty, then a very good amount of time will be spent in the pause screen queueing up attacks for your 4 party members to carry out at once. Each fight feels a little different and must be tackled with a strategy appropriate for the enemy you're facing. As stated earlier, the story itself is rather cliche, but the characters and the game world make up for it. The only thing that I could possibly see as a negative is the lack of an outside world to roam around in, which isn't always a bad thing, and should be expected from a bioware release. Travel is basically instant, and you always end up going where you originally intended to go. Oh yeah, @RichardS, no. Just because YOU cannot play the game above the easy difficulty setting does not mean this game is incomplete. "Babysitting your team" is how the game is designed. You are not playing one character, you are playing four. The description of the easy setting even states "best for players who expect to play in real time." If you can't handle that, I guess you're simply not intelligent enough for this game. It's not the developer's fault you wasted your money on a game you're too stupid to play. Expand
  3. Feb 23, 2011
    +Good Challenge
    +Good Character creation
    +Much diversity
    +Very Original

-Might be Hard for Inexperienced gamers.
  4. Feb 25, 2011
    Awesome game, one of the few I have logged over 40hours in. 120 and counting. Love the combat system. People have complained about the AI but that is what the tactics menu is for. Being able to pause game and micro manage everything is one of the best parts though!
  5. Mar 10, 2011
    It's not Baldur's Gate, but it is a very good game. Although slightly long-winded in places (by which I don't mean 'long' but 'lacking in variety') the negatives are far outweighed by the positive. Highly recommended.
  6. Mar 9, 2011
    A formidable juggernaut of the RPG world, an instant classic. The story has well over 100 hours of gameplay, lore and side-quests alongside a believably written cast featuring Kate Mulgrew and Claudia Black lending their voices as the witches of the wilds. (Also, it is unusual that a lot of the 0 reviews are actually for the sequel, Dragon Age 2, maybe in their blind rage these people are just reviewing anything with Dragon Age in the title and giving it a 0?) Expand
  7. Sep 21, 2010
    Dragon Age is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. But I'm a huge fan of lore for a universe. As long as it has tons of great backstory, you'll have grabbed my attention right off the bat. The lore is amazing, as is the story. Sure it's kind of a "hero's journey" type of story, but that's not a bad thing. There are plenty of origin stories to partake in, each one lasting at least a few hours. If you're not a fan of cut scenes, and dialog, and story, then this game is NOT for you. And by extension I'd say no RPG out there is, because they all have tons of dialog and character interaction. RPG's are more about story and the characters in them, than about combat mechanics. I love the characters in the game, they truly come alive with their voice actors. Morrigan (Claudia Black) in particular is the jewel of the bunch. The combat is sort of like the gambit system from FFXII. If you haven't played that game you won't know what I mean. You basically get lines of "tactics" for your characters to follow during combat. (E.G. 1.Cast this spell. 2. Perform this action 3. Target this specific enemy first.) This system makes it so you don't have to micromanage every single character during combat, which can be tedious IMO, although some do enjoy doing so. Is the system perfect ? No. But it CAN and will work if you give it a chance, on any difficulty. What some people don't realize is that you must change the tactics for certain battles, because they no longer apply to that specific challenge. You really only need to do some major tactics swapping for boss battles though. A good solid tactics base will work for almost all the regular enemy types. One also has to take into account that you must have a tank, healer, and damage dealers in the party. It's basically like an MMO. One character has to hold most of the damage, another heals everybody, and the rest dish out the punishment. There are plenty of combinations to choose, and no you are not limited to being the healer or the tank with the main character. The graphics are pretty good, but not cutting edge. They are certainly better than older games, but also not as good as others that came out around the same time. Hopefully this will be addressed in a big way for the sequel. My biggest gripe about the game is the silent main character. This part of the game is seriously old school, especially for BioWare who created the conversation system in Mass Effect years before this game even came out. It's great that they are switching this for the sequel, but that doesn't help the original. However, this could, and may still be fixed with the mods for the game. This aspect is easily the saving grace for the game, and what propels it above the console versions by miles. The modding community is certainly active, and the mods plentiful. Everyday new ones are created. They enhance the game in a multitude of ways. Visual effects, new armor and weapons, new characters, items, and even quests. They're not all top notch stuff, but there are more than enough that are. The official DLC is also great. It's nice to see that BioWare is finally sticking to it's guns in regards to DLC. They've released a good amount for this game, and most of it is awesome. A few of them aren't all that, but they're decent. Good thing is, you don't have to own them all in order for them to work. They're each separate on their own. So in closing, would I recommend this game ? Most definitely. If you're into story, character interaction, and tons of amazing lore you will love this game as much as I do. The combat mechanics are passable and can be plenty fun. But if you want an action centric, balls to the wall, in your face type of gameplay you are seriously mistaken on your choice of genres. RPG's are not for those types of players. Hope I wasn't too longwinded, and that this helps somebody else decide to pick up and enjoy this amazing game Expand
  8. Nov 21, 2010
    This is an excellent game. Lots of fun over many, many hours. I've played many RPGs and I think this is as good as they come. The characters have distinct personalities and interact with each other in interesting ways. The game world is absorbing and fun to explore. The combat system is excellent for those like me who enjoy managing my character's actions for best effect.
  9. Mar 8, 2011
    One of the greatest RPG's ever made. I'm playing it a 2nd time around and it gets even more enjoyable after you've played it through once, believe it or not.
  10. Nov 2, 2010
    This is one of my favorite games. Extremely interesting story, with a lot of replayability. I ripped through it, and then instantly started again, one of the only times I have done that on any game.
  11. Jan 11, 2011
    Absolutely the finest single-player RPG in the history of the genre from the groundbreaking combat to the intense and richly detailed storyline. Every instant of the game is skillfully voice acted by professional actors, with several characters voiced by major celebrities.Although the combatants in your party are already skillfully scripted with advanced AI, you can dip into their tactics and lay out in very fine detail what you wish them do in a variety of situations, allowing you to fully customize their behavior. It was sleek, streamlined, good looking, hyper-detailed and a thoroughly enjoyable romp through over 100 hours of gameplay per playthrough. a big 10 from me. Expand
  12. Mar 11, 2011
    replaying this game right now, to get the taste of the taste of the decidedly inferior sequel out of my mouth. looking over my previous saves, apparently i spent well over three hundred hours playing. numerous characters, every ending in the book. still just a great game in every way, and even more glaringly obvious what's been lost when you compare it to DA2.
  13. Mar 9, 2011
    I'd give this a 9, but there are too many 0's from people who just don't like RPGs, and don't like tactical combat. This is an RPG with tactical combat, and a story. Would you rate a lamp as zero because it's not a blender? That's absurd. If you want to run around and shoot things, play something else. There's nothing wrong with games like that. Yes, you definitely cannot trust the AI to control your companions effectively on higher difficulties. I pause repeatedly during combat to give each minion a command, so that the timing of all spells and other actions is right. The thought of having to aim at things in real time and get good at reacting to on-screen events with well-timed and -placed mouse clicks -- not interested. It may not look as good as Oblivion or whatever (never played), but it's way the hell better than NWN2, the previous title I played. Not every choice affects outcome, but when the game ends, you will get to read what became of the different characters, towns, etc. The characters are rich, though interaction with them through conversation is by no means necessary. I could see where people would give it a point or two lower because the graphics aren't as good as X or the AI isn't as good as Y, but it's very good at what it purports to be, and any reviews you read that rank this game below about 7 are unjustified and misguided. Expand
  14. Mar 10, 2011
    I was inspired to visit this site after witnessing the absolute mockery that is DA2. What the hell happened? As soon as I got halfway through the ridiculous demo, I immediately started a new DA:O campaign. =) You know the old saying, you never realize what you've lost til it's gone. Well, the multi-character party, tactical combat-based, story-driven RPG is gone. I don't know how many decision trees I have left in DA:O, but they're gonna have to last me until the rightful successor to DA:O comes along. Expand
  15. Mar 11, 2011
    Best fantasy based RPG I've ever played. Original and graphically pleasing. The only way they could have made it better is if the player character was voiced for every playable race and gender.
  16. Mar 15, 2011
    Oops, I came here to write to review of Dragon Age 2 and accidentally posted it in the Origins review site.

I'll re-review to wipe out my bad rating for Origins! Origins is one of the best games ever created. If you like RPG or tactical combat, you'll love Origins.
  17. Feb 14, 2012
    One of the best isometric role playing games ever made. Deep, intricate, fantastic storytelling - serviceable combat, and epic in length. This game surprises, thrills, and engages. It even becomes emotional and powerful throughout it's very long campaign. The world is not as inventive or quirky as planescape torment, however it's pacing is fantastic for a game of this type.
  18. May 7, 2012
    As a rule, I don't give games, movies, etc. a rating above a 9, no matter how much I may enjoy them. With Dragon Age Origins, I can honestly say it is the best game I have ever, and probably will ever play. I have played it through at least a half dozen times and am still not nearly done. If you never buy another game again, buy DA:O. The basic one alone has better characters, plot line and immersion than every other game I've ever played combined. Expand
  19. Oct 19, 2011
    Great story. I love how many ways there are and how mayn descisions you can make. Of course they will all lead to the final battle, but well, it's still a game- I can't really understand why other players critisize the A.I. cause it works perfectly for me. you can even change every behaviour of every single party member. what more do you want? and keeping the defaults won't even be stupid just not perfect. so if you like RPG buy it. oh one thing: if you hate long dialogs with a perfect synchro don't buy it. but if you love playing a movie (thats overexerating) buy it :D Expand
  20. Feb 9, 2012
    Wonderful game, rich, inspired, clever. Deep story abd realistic combat made for an unforgettable experience. A must have for all RPGs fan. Ignore the sequel as its a very inferior product in every aspect.
  21. Feb 29, 2012
    I picked up Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition during a Gamefly sale, and for $7.49, this has been the best value that I've ever gotten for my gaming dollars. Dragon Age gripped me from the moment that I started playing it, and after over 100 hours of gameplay, I'm still having a blast.

To me, Dragon Age plays a lot like a single player linear-ish MMO, if that makes any sense.
    Because you can set a "casting priority list" for each of your party members, switch characters whenever you want, and issue commands while the game is paused....yeah, I really felt like I was using special mind control powers over a fairly typical MMO party. Once you add in some great character development and dialogue, the kind that BioWare is well known for, along with a gripping story, the result is an RPG classic. Origins is a can't miss game for anyone who loves mages and warriors and rogues and stuff.

Dragon Age isn't a perfect game, as no game is, but for the sake of bumping up the score, I feel compelled to give it a 10 out of 10 (after all, I can't select 9.5, which is what I think it deserves). I'll also mention that the extensive DLC content, as well as the Awakening expansion, just add more of what makes Origins itself so much fun. If you haven't played Origins at all yet, then I definitely would recommend buying the Ultimate Edition.
  22. Mar 30, 2012
    Easily the best RPG I've played for at least a decade, if not ever. It's like Baldur's Gate all over again without all the glaring deficiencies of the old D&D ruleset. Great story, great characters, good voice acting, and it's a party-based RPG! The biggest downside to the game is that it has to end at some point. Oh, and the AI is a bit daft if left to its own devices. If you're even mildly interested in the premise of the game, you really should play Dragon Age: Origins. I want more of the same please! Expand
  23. Apr 2, 2012
    One of the best games that I have played in all my live. It is one of the few ones that you will be able to remember some years later as one exclusive experience. Original, entertaining, long and the most important, exciting. Only a few games will leave you this way.
  24. Jan 4, 2013
    Some of the negative reviews of this game accuse the positive reviewers of only liking it because it is a Bioware game. Well, when I started playing, I hadn't played any Bioware games and didn't know their reputation. Actually, going in to this game, I was fairly skeptical. I had never played Baldur's Gate or anything similar before.

This may be my favorite game of all time.

It is
    not a perfect game, as most people are willing to admit. Its propensity to crash and some of the wonky camera angles force me to drop my rating down to a 9. But I still love this game. The dialogue options you choose do have an effect on the game, even if it is only subtle and in the background. Some accuse it of being cliche'd and unoriginal, which baffles me. I've played many fantasy games and read thousands of fantasy books, and I find this original enough to be fresh while familiar enough to not turn me away.

The only thing that gave me pause at first was the combat system, but after I got around the fairly easy learning curve, I came to love it--the strategy and planning involved.

The story is great. The combat is great. The music is great. The graphics are...okay. Not Skyrim-level, but serviceable. I would recommend this game to anyone with even a passing interest in fantasy RPGs.

One caveat. This review is for the PC version. I watched someone play the Xbox version and was dismayed at the UI and how it affected combat. I'm certain it's still a great game, but not nearly as good as the PC version.
  25. Aug 21, 2010
    This is one of the best story driven RPG's ever released. The great strength of this game lies in its immersive story and compelling characters. Bioware has created an epic fantasy world that draws you in from the opening scenes and holds you up till the final credits and beyond. The sound track is hauntingly beautiful and sets the mood wonderfully.
    The weakness of this game is that the
    game play does not quite match up quality wise to the story. The graphics, while not horrible, aren't overly impressive either. The combat can get repetitive after a while and the AI can be buggy in places. And it's almost too easy even on higher difficulties. Despite these flaws I found it to be a highly riveting game. It's like an epic fantasy novel that you can play instead of read. If your the kind of person who can get lost in a good book for hours on end, then Dragon Age: Origins is a must have. If however you play RPG's strictly for the combat and item collecting, you may be disappointed with this title. Expand
  26. Sep 14, 2010
    The game introduced old school RPG to this modern day when lots of teenager play FPS and other action oriented games. Despite of the trend, the game managed to score high on many review site and that is big achievement for Bioware. It is a shame that DA:O scored lower than Mass Effect though. Even though they are both great, they have same amount of flaws. I guess its because ME2 is more about action and not strategy and roleplaying. For those who admire traditional RPGs in the past, this game is for you. Expand
  27. Jul 20, 2011
    This is the ultimate D&D experience and successor to Baldurs Gate; the game IMHO is flawless. The element that impressed me the most is the LOVE and disproportionate time that went into the design of this game, which includes the artwork, conversations and choice trees along the plot. Even the monster battle tactics and animations were varied, rich and awesome.

The designers did not
    simply place cookie cutter dungeon walls that all look the same here and there, or cheap out on voice acting. No, the did the exact opposite. Every room looks lovingly designed to be slightly different. In a warehouse? Each room, has a different seemingly real world appearance that is different from one another. Ditto with the Dwarven caverns, and human castles, etc. Each character has a distinct personality. Does the thief use a different sword animation when she backstabs? you bet! And it looks pointy and deadly! Does the golem rock the ground simply by walking alongside you? Yes, nice touch. When a spider overwhelms your character and feasts on your prone body does it look disgusting and horrifying. Yup. Characters have different conversations with each other depending on who is in your party AND what you have accomplished in the plot and your choices. Your choices have a real impact on your game. You can even KILL some of the people that would have joined your party otherwise. It is truly mind boggling how many different plot twists there are depending on your started with (hence the origins) and what you do, and how you choose to do it. And, I know many of you are not big fans of cinematic sequences here, but the acting is really good - one scene, in a human castle, potentially was brutally heart wrenching, depending on how you chose to solve the issue.

Others here, no doubt covered the controls, the plot, etc. I liked it all, honestly, But the real point is that at a time when designers push products out the door that all look the same and bang for the buck, you KNOW they spent far far more time than they had to, to make a good game here.
  28. Feb 17, 2011
    Since Baldur's Gate and NeverWinter Night ... I was waiting for a worthy successor.
    When i ordered Dragon Age first time, i was a little bit impatient. When i got the game, i was like a child.
    The game mechanics themselves aren't really innovating, graphisms are not wonderfull, but ambiance, in game scenario, different possibilities, choices, and endings are really greats.
    To shorten my
    critic, i just can say that this game is one of my favorites.
    I'm waiting impatiently Dragon Age 2 !
  29. Oct 14, 2011
    Good, solid Fantasy RPG. Nothing revolutionary, but definitely worth the money. The storyline was immersive, the characters were interesting, and the graphics were sufficient (not great though). Too bad Dragon Age II was apparently such a disaster, if it had been more like Origins it probably would have done a lot better.
  30. Mar 11, 2011
    Pretty good, overall. I enjoyed the storyline and the world it set up. I can imagine Bioware will have a few sequels for this.
    It's no NWN or BG, but we're not gonna see anything like those for a while, I imagine. They're just not popular anymore.

Characterisation was great, dialogue was good, voice acting was good, graphics were good, plot was interesting. Combat was good, although the
    blood effects were over the top. Disappointed me that there were party members committed to fighting the blight who just sat around in camp all day doing nothing, but the only way around that is to have less party members.

One of the best RPGs I've played. Sure, it's not the best, but I enjoyed it.
  31. Jan 20, 2012
    As time goes on, I look back with more and more fond memories of Dragon Age: Origins. When I first played the game, I was lukewarm to it. I thought it was decent, but too much of an old-school RPG. But as I played the game more, and after I beat it the second time, I realized that Dragon Age may be one of the finest RPGs ever created. The same warm feelings I have for classic RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights are now applying to Dragon Age as well. Bioware's singular ability to create a world and populate it with interesting characters, events, and locations is on full display. It's such a shame that Dragon Age 2 was a disappointment. Hopefully DA3 will live up to this amazing game. Until then, I shall be playing this game over and over, and forgetting that DA2 even exists. Expand
  32. Dec 17, 2011
    An absolutely engrossing RPG with compelling companions, huge strategic battles and a memorable (if slightly generic) background story. I played this one through non-stop over the course of a few days. It was difficult to tear myself away. And I went back and played it a few more times through as different classes and genders. I enjoyed each play-through thoroughly. There are some minor annoyances such as shuffling during fights and the many 'fetch' quests that plague most RPGs but the story more than makes up for it along with a beautiful world and unforgettable companions. Epic and engrossing. Expand
  33. Mar 16, 2011
    A script and dialogue to rival Planescape: Torment. That's the highest praise I could ever give a game. Play it through and be prepared to be engrossed, captivated, and moved in equal measure. As far as a sidenote in terms of gameplay, its rather micro-managed combat can take a bit of getting used to, but is ultimately rewarding and challenging. Looks great, plays great, reads even better. Utterly superb. Expand
  34. Apr 17, 2012
    It is really beautiful. Very long and very captivating. You'll find yourself completely living in that world. I didn't want it to end. The story is very strong, even has political subtexts and the gameplay is very fun. I strongly recommend this to anyone who likes RPG. Don't even hesitate.
  35. Mar 16, 2012
    Dragon Age Origins is the best Rpg game that i have ever played, and i have played many rpgs like : gothic,diablo,elder scrolls,dungeon siege,mass effect,fallout and many more, but none of them made me lose track of time or being so fascinated by the world which they delivered like Dragon Age Origins. This game is my most favorite game and i can't even explain of how amazing this game is. The story is amazing one of the best which i experienced, the gameplay is very unique and i guess some will not like the gameplay but for me the gameplay was perfect, character are funny,amusing,interesting and very easy to like, the graphic for me is very beautiful and i didn't encounter any bugs or any kind of technical issue. All the rpg elements like customization,dialogue,exploration,side missions,items and inventory,skills,abilities,experience and levels all of that is executed perfectly. In the end the only thing i can say about Dragon Age Origins that this is the best game i have ever played in my life Expand
  36. Sep 5, 2011
    If you have the ultimate edition like me, you'll find this is one of the best RPGs in long time, unlike the sequel which is pretty crap due to console button bashing gameplay, this game maintains a PC grade experience who prefer a bit of strategy and planning. Excellent story, decent graphics, easily 100+ hours of gameplay.
  37. Jul 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story was brilliant and highly immersive. This game truly played on my emotions, from the tragic to the comic. The power struggle in my warden's relationship with Morrigan reminded me of real-life. Alistair's social ineptitude made me laugh. When I played a female warden and romanced him I acquired a previously unknown-to-me rapport with women in general. The voice actors were brilliant. The dramatic events were staged with cinematographic insight. The music was inspiring. The game isn't perfect, and the combat tended to degenerate into freeze and smash (cone of cold beats everything), but I don't play these games for the combat and overall this is what RPGs should be. (Too bad about the turd of a sequel...) Expand
  38. Jun 11, 2011
    With Dragon Age Origins Bioware showed quite well that when it comes to telling a story and putting you at the head of it, their are still the best around. Someone could complain that the interface is not perfect, the graphics now always top level, the battles somewhat repetitive after a while. But in the end what makes the game great is that you have a run through a wonderful story while meeting truly memorable characters which will hold a place in your heart all along those from your favourite movies and books. And this is something which largely compensate for every minor flaw, making it rather irrelevant... Expand
  39. Jun 20, 2011
    Player through this game 6 times and found something new each time. Read both books, The Stolen Thrown and The Calling. Great story telling and attention to detail; truly epic.
  40. Jun 24, 2011
    One reviewer called this game a love letter to the classic RPG, and it's true. Huge, epic story on the scale of BG2, side plots, romance and a climactic final battle. Dragon Age: Origins brings the formula up to date. It has top-down-view tactical combat with a custom ruleset that works far better than the D&D one -- no "resting", and warriors and rogues have a range of abilities now! Multiple endings, and even a gay romance plot that's been the subject of controversy but that I thought was rather good and a step forward for the genre. A little cliche and with some slow bits, but basically excellent. Expand
  41. Jul 1, 2011
    Awesome game, I highly recommend it! Just completed it and I want to start again. I can honestly say I haven't played such great RPG for very long time. Grab this masterpiece.
  42. Jul 4, 2011
    One of the best RPG's released in a decade. The story is riveting and deep, the characters are believable and fun to interact with. The options in every situation that affect the outcome of the game are thoughtful and well implemented.
  43. Jul 5, 2011
    Dragon Age Origins has a different feel than most RPG's that i am used to, though i still enjoyed the game the story sucked me right in yet it wasn't perfect the mechanics were fun but took some getting used too gameplay was more strategic than action this is were it hurts me the most i like Action Role Playing Games like Diablo 2 LOD and Dragon Age Origins took some getting used to. Over all this game is worth the money If you are interesting don't hesitate its should be relatively cheap now. Expand
  44. Jul 12, 2011
    BioWare is one of few studios I trust. Why? This game is why; with a great story line, a wonderful gameplay mechanics and an overall beautiful looking game. Dragon Age: Origins is the reason why I spent an entire summer vacation in front of my computer! I invite everyone to share the epic-ness that is, Dragon Age: Origins!
  45. Jul 17, 2011
    After over 500 hours of playing this game, I have to say that this is probably one of my all time most favorite games ever. I especially loved the story, the battle structure and the dialogue. The dialogue/conversations are awesome, I have never laughed or cried so much for just one thing be it game, movie or book. You get so immersed in the story and the companions that they almost seems real. I adored the romance aspect of it, it was such an interesting way to affect gameplay. I only have one small complaint-the item juggling got old after a while. Yes, the party chest was handy but I got pretty tired of constantly tromping up there to see if the items I'd just won were better than what I already had stored away. That compared to the awesomeness of the rest of the game though, it's hardly worth mentioning. Expand
  46. Jul 5, 2012
    Brilliant game. The person who complained about the AI is playing the wrong type of game. You aren't supposed to stand still and watch your players fight. You are supposed to think and work out how to use your team's mix of skills, and tell them what to do. It works very well: in hard battles you can keep pausing to keep track of everything going on and give new instructions. In easy battles you can give a few commands and let it play out. The really great thing about the game is the moral dilemmas. Time and again I was suprised that a quest to go and beat someone up turned into an interesting conversation where I became sympathetic to them and had to think to decide what to do. This is gaming at its very best. Expand
  47. Jul 23, 2011
    Well, Dragon age: Origins isn't a game for everyone because you have to invest a lot of time to get the best out of it but that doesn't mean it's not good. Quite opposite, in my opinion it is the best RPG ever made (RPG is my favourite genre and i played a LOT of RPGs) with its great, nonlinear story, clever and challenging combat system, witty writing, huge and emersive world and so on and so forth... Expand
  48. Jul 28, 2011
    (10.0)Almost a perfect game. Though combat needs to be a little more dynamic, story, characters, depth, perfect.
    It's epic and absolutely worth buying, it has like 50-60 hours long, one of the best games of the last 4, 5 years for sure.
  49. May 25, 2012
    One of my favorite games of all time, with amazing depth and story. I've revisited it a couple of times with some of the mods created by the community to keep it fresh. (Thanks for "Skip the Fade" mod!) The voice acting and storytelling are truly top-notch, and I actually cared for the characters. It's unfortunate that DA2 was such a letdown, being the Phantom Menace to DA:O's Empire Strikes Back that leaves a taint. Expand
  50. Jul 31, 2011
    Definitely a worthy unofficial successor to the Baldur's Gate series although it limits the open-worldness of BG. Had a blast with the story/choices you can make in the game as well as the graphical detail/smoothness of gameplay. The combat was varied and the decisions you make while paused actually matters. NPC reactions were often pretty well designed although I am very disappointed that Bioware decided to add "mission boards" for the side quests instead of promoting exploration. AI has also been improved from their previous games as well. Expand
  51. Aug 26, 2011
    One of the best rpg's ever! The only downside is that battle can be challenging, but is that really a downside? Playing the elf mage I think has the best storyline. The dialogue/conversations are as realistic as any game i've ever played. great voice acting. Do yourself a favor by getting Origins as opposed to Dragon Age 2 which is the complete opposite.
  52. Nov 6, 2011
    As a fan of RPG games, this game with Baldurs Gate take first place in my RPG list. This game taking your whole mind into this magic world. The story is made perfectly, side quest are interesting, the choices which you are making makes diffrence in the future, there`s everything what good RPG game should have. If you haven`t played it... just DO IT.
  53. Sep 15, 2011
    This is one of my favorite games. I just love almost everything in this game: gameplay, characters, cutscene, graphics, and even control I really liked, well, nothing I can not help myself! =) Another great game from the hardcore BioWare!
  54. Nov 15, 2011
    Not a perfect game, but a thoroughly engrossing and utterly enjoyable adventure. The best top-down RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. If they improved on this formula, we could be looking at one of the best games of all time. But they didn't. Accordingly, the worst part about this game is how disappointing its sequel is.
  55. Mar 12, 2012
    best RPG ive played in a long time, loved everything about it, though it was a tad glitchy, but meh, your so involved in the game u hardly notice, each playthrough takes about 30hours to do fully, and i reckon ive finished the game least 10 times, so deff tonnes of replayability
  56. Oct 30, 2011
    I don't normally like linear and scripted RPG's but this turned out to be very well written and entertaining. The combat was fun and changing the party make up provided refreshingly different play styles. Combat scripting was nice to have but it was even better to have a pause option and micro manage each battle if you wanted to. I really couldn't put this game down until I finished it.
  57. Nov 8, 2011
    One of my all-time favorites. This is a shameless D&D style nerdfest of an RPG and I wouldn't have it any other way. The combat is a bit clunky, but it was crafted that way on purpose. The fighting has more of a chessboard feel, really.
  58. May 22, 2012
    Fantastic game. Anyone whon likes RPG's should get and play this ASAP, it's an instant classing. And unlike Mass effect 3, the game ends how you choose!
  59. May 14, 2012
    in my opinion, this is the best game of all time. I really have nothing else to say, as I should clearly be playing Dragon Age RIGHT ****
  60. Nov 10, 2011
    Could not stop playing it till i beat it 3 or 4 times. I had to see every ending, every corner of the game. it was so immersive. I can't really think of another game that I felt as compelled to play.
  61. Nov 12, 2011
    Amazing game, sadly the follow up, Dragon age 2 was horrible.. : ( I wish they had spent a year or so longer developing the second game and insured that it would be just as good as the first one
  62. Nov 23, 2011
    Excellent RPG, I rank this game up there with the first Neverwinter Nights. It's also cheap enough now where you can pick up the expansion and all the DLC for a reasonable price. Give it a try, I would be very surprised if you come away disappointed.
  63. Dec 11, 2011
    Played through to about three-quarters of the PC version of the game so far, so I would say I'm not being too quick to give my rating. Engaging storyline, fun mechanics, natural and well paced leveling up (unlike most leveling systems - makes you feel stronger but not overpowered, and fun even playing warriors, unlike traditional hack and slash, there are actually fun clickable abilities for them). Their stats system is quite enjoyable - there are no "wasted" stats - even Magic (something like intelligence in classical DnD) is specifically useful for a warrior. Be warned though, battles are challenging - in some cases, you'll need several reloads trying out different tactics or just hoping for the best (along the lines of: COME ON! DANG MAGE, JUST LET YOURSELF BE STUNNED ALREADY and don't unleash that damn lightning storm... ), especially if you refuse to lower the difficulty to easy mode (which I insisted on) (also please heed the advice by the game: don't always expect a full frontal assault of your party of four versus twenty enemies to work - please... you're powerful, but not godlike powerful...). You'll also need to master the pause button (IT"S NOT MEANT TO BE A REAL-TIME BATTLE SYSTEM), much like the Baldur's Gate series, which may be a bit confusing for some players, but once you get the hang of it, it is actually very enjoyable - e.g. it lets you tell the character to cast the high level blizzard storm, and you can watch the effects only when you are ready, and prepare combo spells to follow up without it being a confusing click-fest. As for the critics, who seem to be mainly the Oblivion converts (I payed to play it too, and it is fun in its own way), but this is a different type of RPG - one where the focus is on a strong story line, and less on things like getting lost in a maze or spending eight hours doing something mundane like fishing and perhaps never managing to get on with the story (as per Oblivion). The most impressive facet of this game to me is the amount of detail put into it - every SINGLE line is actor-voiced, and you can actually feel the emotions. The back story is also rich, including mini-treatises and actual wordings on plot items, but the game mechanics give you the option to read them only if you feel like it (warning: if English isn't one of your language, you may not be able to enjoy it much, some side quests require you to do "reading comprehension" to get it right; and you may also not appreciate the often interesting and amusing banter between companions). The developers also make sure to include snippets in the game that flatter the player, which actually succeed in making you feel smug about yourself when they do happen. Note: you're not doing justice to the game if you aren't playing in maximum graphics capability. Anyway, after I first played it for like five hours, and it was only starting to dawn on me that the attention to details were actually going to persist throughout the game, I was going like - "OMG! I can't believe I payed only thirty (Singapore) dollars (~20 USD) to play this game. How in the world are the developers going to recoup their losses from hiring all these graphic designers and voice actors? They must have spent a gazillion hours making the game. Please don't go bust anytime soon, I really want more of these priceless pieces of art...". Apparently, there are also different back stories depending on which class and race you choose to play (no, I'm not going to spoil them by wiki-ing them up), so there's going to be replayability. You can also pick different companions for next time, or just rotate them as you like - backbenchers will level up together with your main party, so you don't have to farm for xp (there's actually not much mindless farming you can do in this game). All in all, you won't regret buying this game UNLESS 1. you want to live in an alternate world literally and maybe never get on with the story (get Oblivion instead, it's a great game too), 2. you want a five minute learning curve ("why can't i just click UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT and make the enemy drop dead instantly?"), 3. you want to play ONLY a single player ("Can dang Morrigan and Alistair just do your own thingies without me needing to tell you what to do? I don't care if you two can make wonderful sophisticated combos out of the range of the capacity of any computer AI, I'm only interested in controlling ME AND ONLY ME!!!"), 4. you don't actually want a DnD-ish RPG title and got to this page by mistake, 5. you are a disgruntled EA employee fired for scolding your boss's mum a whore or something like that, 6. I can't think of a 6... Expand
  64. HD3
    Dec 16, 2011
    Excellent game, the combat system is wide and varied, challenging but rarely frustrating, The enviroments are rich and well developed and a surprisingly rich plot with lots of character development which is lacking in a lot of other WRPGs. So refreshing to see a WRPG where the narrative is treated with as much care as the gameplay and enviroment. A guranteed crowd pleaser.
  65. Apr 9, 2012
    Epic rpg, great story, great combat, BW hit it out of the park. Its one that you need to think taticly with every member of your squad.One unique feature is the ability to play as one of your companions, additionally as experience yo set the actions off your team to take.
  66. Dec 21, 2011
    A true epic adventure which took me 70+ hours to complete, sidequests included. It has great characters, a rich and interesting world and a superb story!
  67. Jan 9, 2012
    This is the most solid fantasy RPG of the generation, and I loved every minute. It is quite Lord of the Rings (in a good way, if also in a cliched way), and there is not a huge amount of innovation to be found here. Nonetheless, the game world is rich and detailed, voice acting is excellent, companions are interesting for the most part, and combat is addictive and deep. The game is also long, and feels like a genuine epic (unlike, say, Oblivion, which feels oddly empty and soulless at times)........... This game is receiving a 8 from me on consoles, and a 10 on PC, simply because it is very 'click heavy', and is suited for mouse and keyboard over a controller. It's also been optimised for PC. Enjoy the game, ignore the sequel DA:2, and let's hope DA:3 builds on this solid foundation. Highly recommended. Expand
  68. Aug 2, 2012
    It may be cliched with fairly unoriginal characters, but DA:O does almost everything right. The journey is so completely involved and compelling that one can't help but ignore the fact that this is the umpteenth time this story has been told. Giving the player this many options to play it out makes up for the generic villians- a true RPG incarnation if there ever was one. It has that "epic" feel to it that helps overcome what problems it has, in my experience matched only by Skyrim. The Ultimate Edition is a superb value, and even someone who is usually very averse to fantasy games like myself fell in love with Dragon Age. I highly recommend it. Expand
  69. Apr 17, 2012
    Hands down the best and most true RPG to date. This is/was and always will be, BioWare's best work - the best masterpiece created in video-gaming history, ever... !
  70. Mar 11, 2012
    Dragon Age is very enjoyable experience. Of course there are some bumps here and there but overall this game is great. For example combat is not as fluid as it should be but engaging story, chalenging fights and some very memorable characters (Morrighan honey... I'll come back to you every year, I promise!) let me forget about minor issues and enjoy it a lot.
  71. Mar 19, 2012
    Dragon Age: Origins is what you would expect from Bioware, a polished rpg experience with great characters and background lore. The combat is tactical and challenging as you control four characters at a time. Positioning and strategy is very important if you want to defeat some of the bosses in the game, atleast on the higher difficulties. When it comes to the world design I guess it's ok. Some areas are a little too small, textures are bad and they have a lot of reused dungeons. Despite some of the flaws this is still one of the best rpg experiences out there for the pc Expand
  72. Mar 23, 2012
    Awesome game is awesome, the combat was a bit slow and your characterr beeing mute is a bit awkward from time to time, but the story and companions is well written.
  73. Jun 15, 2012
    Definitely THE spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate´, and as such, Epic in every respect.
    One could argue that the graphics are not state-of-the-art-or-beyond, but the stories make you forget that in an instant.
  74. Mar 28, 2012
    A perfect ten for me -- Dragon Age: Origins is probably the best game I have ever played, at least since the 1980s; at least as good as Neverwinter Nights if not even better. I don't know a way to put it other than an enormous RPGasm of truly epic proportions that virtually never ends: when you feel you must be reaching the end of the humongous game, you're not even a third into it.

There
    is all the flexibility you expect from an RPG and replay value that is simply ridiculous: you can play the game several times and get truly different stories. The bang for the buck you get from Dragon Age: Origins is simply unheard of in an RPG. By the standards of contemporary games, the graphics are far from impressive. The game is so good it doesn't matter. Expand
  75. Apr 2, 2012
    The last RPG made by Bioware. This game truly worth for "Baldur's Gate's spiritual successor" title. It is hard to understand how Bioware could make a disaster like Dragon Age 2 after this piece of art. Dragon Age: Origins addresses both RPG veterans and newbies. I strongly recommend this game to all gamers.
  76. Apr 20, 2012
    You won't find a better hier for Baldur's Gate. This is a master piece. Don't miss the Ultimate Edition which includes all DLC content and a expansion pack!
  77. Apr 26, 2012
    Where to start? this game is the first BioWare game since KOTOR that can truly be called an RPG: fantastic combat system, most of the characters are deep and very interesting (although they ask you money for the best one, belive it) and the world is fantastic in its history and lore, even if it is a rip-off of many others. The problem is the main story. Decision making is there, it matters, but the overall plot, well... there isn't one. World is in chaos, and you race to its four corners too gather help, end every were you ask for it you'll have to work for it, so you could stand a chance in the final battle. Simple and very bad as that. Expand
  78. Aug 30, 2012
    Dragon Age: Origins. One of Bioware's best games. The story of the game is rather cliche, uniting everyone under one banner to stop the evil guys. However the characters react differently to you based on your race and social status (your origin, as the title implies), making the game much more diverse in story progression, also adding a lot of replayability. The combat is rather slow, D&D styled, like the old school RPGs. Like in any Bioware game the characters have their own unique personality and beliefs and they'll sometimes question your actions. The graphics look a bit outdated, but lets be honest here, graphics rarely matter in RPGs. The music in the game is beautifully crafted, the best one you will hear is the "camp theme". Overall a great game if you like games like Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate or the Fallout series. Expand
  79. Oct 23, 2012
    While it isn't as complex and huge as older cRPGs, Dragon: Age Origins at least TRIES to be like them, and that alone makes it better than most western RPGs on the market. The huge, original (not D&D) world is really well crafted and the graphics are pretty to look at, even in 2012. This could have been the birth of an amazing series of games but sadly Bioware decided to screw it all up with Dragon Age 2. Even if Dragon Age 3 is good, the series is always going to have a huge blemish on it and that's a shame. Expand
  80. May 30, 2012
    An extremely good, old school feeling CRPG. the story is long and diverse and combat is involved and requires thought and tactics. The only knock I have is the limited class design, where older bioware games allowed you to play many classes and even multi class, DA forces you into picking out of 3 classes.
  81. Jul 22, 2012
    Best thing about Dragon Age is the Neverwinter/Baldurs feel and gameplay but with its own unique style. Love the story and the characters i agree with some of the other users that their criticsims are off target!!! Would recommend and is among my top 10
  82. Aug 13, 2012
    What this game lacks in originality it makes up for in sheer fun and solid storytelling: this is a game which will make you want to keep playing, and which offers dozens and dozens of hours of entertainment (if you get the Ultimate Edition, which comes with the expansion and several DLC packs, you will easily find 80-100 hours of play). DA:O offers the usual assortment of classes, abilities, weapons, and enemies which you'd expect in an RPG--nothing too original here--but works them together into a package which is easy to learn while offering significant depth for advanced players. Where this game really shines is in its story and characters (which you'd probably expect from a Bioware game). The many companions and other characters are generally well-written and interesting, each with their own secrets, quirks, and personal growth throughout the story. The banter between party members can be downright hysterically funny at times, while at others is offers a more serious look into the relationships between your companions. For those who really care, there is truly a LOT of (mostly-optional) dialogue in this game, which provides the opportunity to further explore the lore of the game, build relationships, and find allies (or enemies!). Moreover, for the truly curious gamer, there is much lore to be discovered in books, etc. throughout the game, providing plenty of background information on all sorts of things.So far I've played through this game three times, and enjoyed every time. While the main story remains the same, DA:O offers significant potential variety: 6 different origin stories, 3 races, 3 classes (each with multiple play-styles), and numerous in-game choices which affect the story. All of this helps keep the game fresh and very replayable: so far I've played it through 3 times (once as each race/class so far), and will certainly play it again in the future. It would be hard to recommend this game enough, so go ahead and give it a try if you have any interest in RPGs! Expand
  83. Aug 22, 2012
    Quite simply one of my favourite games of all time. The characters are memorable, the combat is challenging and reminiscent of Baldur's Gate and the game is very lengthy and full of content, especially if you got the Ultimate Edition like I did that has all the DLC and the expansion pack. The graphics are a little muddy looking but it gave the game a darker tone which is desperately needed in the fantasy game genre *coughcoughFinalFantasycough*. The story can be a little generic with the whole save the world thing but it has many multiple paths and choices to be made. Speaking of choices, the game has TONS of them, even more than Mass Effect I dare say. Your main character not being voiced also allows for role playing. Overall, amazing game and the best Western RPG I've ever played. Expand
  84. Sep 2, 2012
    DAO is overall an awesome third-person RPG that has a great story and nice graphics with the right PC. The voice acting is very well done, although I still wish that your character talked as well. The game opens up in the beginning so you have options on where to go first and what you want to accomplish. The dungeons are large, well-made, and fun. To this day this game is definitely worth playing on the PC if you haven't already. Expand
  85. Sep 6, 2012
    Dragon age origins is a great imaginative game. Well thought out story line and a thrilling experience. Good graphics and great game play, an amazing achievement and a revolution in PC gaming.
  86. Oct 31, 2012
    Great story line. The characters are very well defined. The play could use a bit of work, but the game is so addictive that, you probably won't care. The comments your party make are very funny. I often change up members just to hear the different interactions.
  87. Dec 18, 2012
    At first I was not attracted by the tactical gameplay approach that Bioware had chosen. However, Dragon Age: Origins quickly changed my mind with its compelling storyline and perfect balance between action and dialogue.

In the character selection you can select between different races, origins and classes, which will influence your game experience. This results in extremely customizable
    characters. You will need to choose one of six unique origin stories, which will determine how the different races of Ferelden will treat you throughout the game.

With blood, gore, and dragons you will experience scary cutscenes that introduces you to the life as a Grey Warden. You travel through Ferelden trying to free the country from the darkspawn and the arch demon. Murder, treason and politics; all interfering with your epic quest. It is now up to you and your comrades to liberate this country. The experience was a perfect balance between beautiful outdoor areas and the frightening depths of the Deep Roads lurking with darkspawn.

The innovating gameplay implemented by Bioware does work brilliantly and instead of the usual hack-n-slash RPG you get a more strategic and at times more challenging adventure. At any time, you will have the opportunity to pause and consider the situation. This gives you a chance to regroup and plan the perfect way to get rid of your foes. Another twist compared to the Elder Scrolls and The Witcher series is that you do not only control your protagonist, but you control a band of heroes fighting your way through hordes of darkspawn, bandits and dragons! Bioware has truly created a game with an epic storyline. The personalities you will meet throughout the game are creative and original because of the intelligent voice acting that brings the characters to life. Even when you walk through town they will chat about numerous things, such as their pasts, races and classes.

As player you should expect gorgeous graphics, but also a challenging game with difficulties that can get even the most hardcore players on their toes! The game mechanics are easy accessible and very fast to learn. Dragon Age: Origins is definitely a must buy for all RPG fans!

Dragon Age: Origins is one of the best roleplaying games of this decade all up there with the Elder Scrolls and Fallout.
  88. Apr 2, 2011
    This is probably one of the best RPG's i've played. The Origins stories and multiple endings really add to the replayability, as if you don't get enough entertainment and playtime in one playthrough. The combat system is exciting, and i like the tactical element.
    Overall a fantastic game.
  89. Mar 13, 2011
    A game worthy of my time. A great story coupled with some awesome character interactions and a not so simple combat system.

The game is only made better with the release of its sequel.
  90. Oct 22, 2010
    Great RPG. Amazing customisation of how you want your party members to respond to different situations. Once you start getting some levels into you and your party and opening up tactic slots the game becomes a LOT of fun as you can set all their tactics up to deal with most situations allowing you to just concentrate on how your player wants to fight and then jumping over to your other party members if something extraordinary is going on and requires specific potions/buffs. Lots of choices to make throughout the game that DO change the experience enough to allow at least 3 different playthroughs. Really interesting environments, good enough graphics. Sounds and atmosphere are spot on. I guess i'm taking a point off for minor graphics issues and some annoyance at some story arcs. This is easily made up for with the multitude of side quests allowing me to get 80 hrs out of my first playthrough with this almost perfect game. Play it if you want to enjoy the best of modern RPGs out there. Expand
  91. Oct 16, 2010
    This is a great game. First the interface is easy to grasp and intuitive. Second, the combat is enjoyable for those who are into more than just hack and slash. The story is very good, but as with all RPGs that only lasts the first play through. The romance aspect continued to be intriguing for many plays. I have done guy on girl, girl on girl, and both in the same play (but you have to choose). Three complaints. One is that after the first play it would be great if the dialogue could be bypassed. I use the escape key but it would be nicer if it could be bypassed even faster. Second, the "treasure" just does not measure up as you move up. Often times you are just picking up junk. Alternately, get rid of the pack limit so we don't have to chose. Also, change the loot function so we can just take everything at once. The multiple and egregious clicking does not add anything to the game. Those are minor flaws and they often exist in the best games. This is a best game. You will get how to play this game right away and you will enjoy it through the end. Expand
  92. Nov 1, 2010
    I loved this game, same style gameplay as KOTOR. The combat was fun to watch, and I really was able to get into the storyline. The dialogue was very well done IMHO. This was one of my favorite games now, and will always have a spot on my hard drive (except for alot of the DLC, most of it was done very poorly)
  93. Dec 6, 2010
    Hacking down enemies and fighting an evil demon spawn; sounds like a generic role-playing game. Dragon Age Origins is anything but ordinary because of the depth of its story, the highly interactive environment, and the complexity of the non-player characters. Created by BioWare for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Dragon Age Origins is a fantasy RPG that was at the cutting edge of video game technology when it was created and an inspiration for a whole new breed of video game. Before the game began I was able to select my characterâ Expand
  94. Dec 23, 2010
    Firstly this is the best fantasy RPG ever released, it has its problems but none of them take away from its epicness.

Gameplay
    The gameplay, which is instantly familiar to anyone who has played Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic which itself it another Bioware wonder, is based around a team of 4 controlled in a semi real time manner, meaning the game is based of a background clock
    which is sometimes refered to as ticks, so for instance your character may swing there weapon every 4 ticks. you choose one of 3 classes which each have the own starting story to expllain how they got the start of the game. the biggest complaint i have seen is that your ai partners are sometimes a bit slow, however there is a option to give them custom tactics and set parameters for activating moves, changing targets, when to use items etc. Some people who clearly missed the point say that bioware just couldnt be bothered to script the ai itself, where as i say that they have given the ai the ability to the basics of there build such as a healer healing but they have also constructed a command input system that will allow you to set up a custom team just as you like. if u cant be bothered with this ai is perfectly capable. The gameplay is smooth and easy to maintain control of with a zoom feature from over the shoulder to a battlefield view, which is this kind of game is possible the most useful feature ever i cannot praise the zoom featue enough. But should the combat get out of hand u can just hit space and pause the game give your team the commands to help tip the balance and then unpause as you watch your actions lead your team to victory ( lol i sound like a roman general/nerd). When your not fighting you will be talking to NPC's or exploring, your repsonce is not spoken instead you select it from a list of responses, but all major and some non major characters have full diologue in other words the only things you have to read are a few lines at most. The characters are voiced beautifully and the actors give some amazing performances worthy of any voice over movie. Should be the reading type then you can hunt for entries to the codex which is basically a history of dragon age book, and will tell u all about the extensive backstory and lore of the game.

Graphics Well what can i say but WOW, i have a high end gaming machine hooked up to a 32 inch Hd-TV and the game looks absolutly amazing, to anyone with a good pc ignore the console versions of this game its much better on with added depth from the modding community but more on that later. The characters both major and non major look stunning., with great facial animations and movement. In combat all enemies look stunning and without spoiling anything some of the early cinematics are just jaw droppingly good. The animations in general are top notch with anything from swing a sword to waving goodbuy looking awesom. My personal faveorite part though are called death animations and these are basically random when fighting most enemies with a few exeptions and your character will kill the target in some sort of cool way, especially on the bigger monsters/creatures you fight they are a joy to watch. Linear Vs non linear This game is not fully open ended, such as fallout 3 or the eldar scrolls oblivion, but i have never had a problem with scripted games. This game gives the impression of a go any where do anything which is my opinion is harder to do than a big game world full of trees. All it means is that the bits that you see are beautiful to behold the dwarven cities being right up my street. At the game time though the game is no so linear as to force a player down a path and there are many to choose from esepcially when choosing to help/kill weather to be good/evil etc.

The modding community
    2 words "amazingly epic", so many well done mods out and a great community to ask for help should you need it. The modders on sites like dragon age nexus are masters of the craft and should be hired this second by a company such as bioware. Bioware themselves are pretty clever giving an easy way to install/remove mods from your game. Conclusion
    Going into this game i was not sure as i am not the biggest fan or these kinds of combat systems but i have eaten my words with my foot in my mouth, it blew me away. Not once during this game have i ever felt stressed. I have enjoyed every minuite of playing this game, and being a game with 50 hours+ in one play though and having completed the game around 9 times (yes im sad but it should tell u how good it is lol ), it is alot of time. I know i said at the start of this review there are bad points and well erm i suppose i should mention one, erm............ errrrrrrrr..................hmmmmm well i cant think of any :P oh yeah it consumed a lot of my time lol. i would have mentioned the story in detail but no enough words, so i will simply say that which ever way you take the story its epic.
  95. Jan 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great and fabulous game! I have played it at least 3 times, doing all possible quests, always as a mage... i love being a mage. But now i'm playing as a human noble, and it is fantastic!!! i have all dls'c and awakaning has sucha nostalgic feeling, makes em get deeply evolved and missing the original game!!! i realy got evolved and touched by the game story and gameplay is marvelous!!! nice graphics... the only problem is that the main character should speak like in mass effect!! well, have fun, it's realy worth the try!! Expand
  96. May 20, 2011
    dragon age origins is pretty much the best PC RPG since Balur's Gate II, My first rpg is Baldur's Gate II which is still the pinnacle of the PC rpgs till this date imho. Dragon age origins is hugely reminiscent of Baldur's Gate II in concept and gameplay, although I could see it being confusing for people who weren't fans of the genre back then. Yet the D&D fans (I am not one of them) may not agree with this since DAO's combat mechanics is modernized. However, the witty writings, characters, interactions and puzzles really draw myself back to Baldur's gate II. the interactive cinematic in the game is highly inspired by kotor, but this is not a bad thing since keeping everybody happy is still important. RPGs used to be about telling a story with you as the hero/villain. sadly the most popular rpgs right now like diablo and TES threw the core of rpgs out the window. But DAO shows a new way combining modernized tactical combat, dramatic story telling, and involving characters together to form a true epic. Expand
  97. Mar 14, 2011
    Now since I restarted DAO cause of DA2. I look over everything I see. Story, detail, graphics, music, game play and Reply value.

The Story: It is amazing for this game. Well thought and well Detailed. Spread over the whole map. The main story line is amazing it drags you in from the get go. Straight to the end of the game. The side quests are great to again all over the map. Certainly
    gives you that extra bit to work on even if it only gives a little extra bit of game play. Even with character stories to. Some meld together. Even the interaction talks while wondering about. It all works together perfectly.

The Detail: Tones in my book. Just perfect for a long RPG. Which is what it should be. Certainly a lot to read to give you more detail and draw you into the game world. Which it should. Cause that moment you start to play it should drag you in which it dose with this. Many might say that tones of reading is boring. But this is always a key point to good RPG. No way you could have some one just speak it all out. Some might say that would be better some would say not. Hence why having both in it. Is much better. The detailed conversations from the characters and npc's down to the codex notes which give you information.

The Graphics: Perfect and still now perfect in my books for an RPG like this one. The Characters are life like, even in the cinematic's. The towns and Cities are well detailed and work with the time period of the game. The npc's and even the animals. The darkness in it work even well better for game and story. Some might say it dose not. But I beg to differ.

The Music: It is great. It enhances the game amazingly, drawing you into the game even more. So much work put into it, It is certainly one of the things I love in this game. Nothing more I can say.

The Reply Value: The reply value of this game. Is great to reply as the other classes certainly makes it worth while indeed. Even go different ways with them in the sense of character. Yes there is mods out there you can use to further enhance that. But on just the game it is perfect. It is certainly one game I will reply many times out of my large and I use that loosely game collection.

Overall: This game is one all you RPG players should certainly have. Graphics, story, Detail. Everything works perfectly for this game. I give this 100% and 10/10
  98. Mar 17, 2011
    Simply one of the best RPG i ever played. A real mature story, with real choices which guides your epic adventure. The relations with companions are really fantastics, and romance give a funny touch (I will never forget Morigan ;) ) . Game-play and characteristic of each companion could be configured. Sure the world isn't open than Oblivion but the rest give a real immersive game.
  99. Mar 18, 2011
    Its rly solid RPG, with good story, side quests are good, companion quests are also good, love that classic fighting like it was in baldurs and nwn, gave it 9 just because graphics could be a little better,everything else is great.
  100. BobbyD
    Dec 2, 2009
    This has to be the best single player RPG I have played since Final Fantasy 7. If you enjoy Bioware games, or played and liked "The Witcher" this is a must buy. It was challenging and had about 70 hours of gameplay first time through on Normal mode with over 75% of the optional quests completed. A must have for any RPG enthusiast. Very nice to have a traditional and original RPG with depth and so epic to boot. Collapse

1. If you're into rpgs, or rather if you love roleplaying in general, there's really no need to waste time reading any reviews of this game. The same goes if you regard games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 and the Baldurs Gate-series among the best computer games ever made. Because this game is everything a person like you look for in a game, and so much more. Be aware though, Dragon Age: Origins is not a revolution of the genre, rather it is an evolution, where Bioware has refined everything that made them into a formula as close to perfection as possible. Without a doubt one of the strongest Game of the year-candidates so far this year and a game we will remember with warm feelings many years to come.
  2. An outstanding story-driven RPG with fantastic writing, RPG depth and tough tactical combat. It's BioWare's best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. [Holiday 2009, p.38]
  3. Dragon Age Origins will keep you in front of your computer for hours! Graphics, sounds and the controls couldn’t be much better!