Dragon Age: Origins PC

User Score
8.7

Generally favorable reviews- based on 3698 Ratings

User score distribution:
Buy On

Review this game

  1. Your Score
    0 out of 10
    Rate this:
    • 10
    • 9
    • 8
    • 7
    • 6
    • 5
    • 4
    • 3
    • 2
    • 1
    • 0
    • 0
  1. Submit
  2. Check Spelling
  1. Apr 14, 2017
    10
    J'ai commencé Dragon Age sur 360 et y ai passé une centaine d'heures et si en termes graphiques Dragon Age ne laissera pas d'empreintes indélébiles dans les mémoires (une façon polie de dire que c'est bien moche sur 360 ! et en plus ça ramouille pas mal !), il en laissera par contre pour ses nombreuses autres qualités qui font de lui un grand jeu de rôle : une histoire narrée avec talentJ'ai commencé Dragon Age sur 360 et y ai passé une centaine d'heures et si en termes graphiques Dragon Age ne laissera pas d'empreintes indélébiles dans les mémoires (une façon polie de dire que c'est bien moche sur 360 ! et en plus ça ramouille pas mal !), il en laissera par contre pour ses nombreuses autres qualités qui font de lui un grand jeu de rôle : une histoire narrée avec talent par Bioware, des personnages forts et attachants, une interface bien pensée pour la console, des dialogues nombreux dont l'adaptation VF est un modèle du genre et une durée de vie pharaonesque.

    Après la version 360, j'ai refait Dragon Age avec les quelques DLC (ceux qui s'intègrent dans la campagne) mais sur PC cette fois : l'avantage de la vue aérienne compense l'absence du pad (hélas) mais en même temps, l'interface à la souris est un modèle du genre pour ne pas dire la référence, et belle avec ça. Le jeu est plus difficile que sur 360, un minimum de stratégie et de micro-gestion est nécessaire... un système de combat avec pause toujours aussi passionnant quoi qu'il en soit.

    Graphiquement inégal certes mais dans l'ensemble encore bien agréable ce Dragon Age et nettement supérieur à la version 360. Exigeant également cela dit, le moteur de Bioware accusant ses limtes parfois. La musique est excellente, l'une sinon la meilleure partition d'Inon Zur très inspiré ici. VF toujours impeccable, Bioware et EA obligent. Une poignée de plantages en 92h (PC oblige) mais rien de rédhibitoire.

    L'histoire bien que simple au demeurant est très efficace et les relations avec l'équipe qui compte quelques personnages très intéressants (ah Oghren et Morrigan !) est fort bien menée et les choix ont de réelles répercussions, jusqu'à la fin, jusqu'à ce final absolument grandiose et épique. D'ores et déjà un classique du genre assurément.
    Notes : 10 sur PC, 9 sur 360.
    Expand
  2. Jan 22, 2016
    8
    Dragon Age Origins
    More like Goose Age Origins
    This game is deep, and that’s the greatest thing about it. The depth though is also the worst thing about it This game starts out with letting you customize your character and choosing your class. All of your choices here will determine the origins story you are given. There’s potentially 6 different stories to be told in this game… I
    Dragon Age Origins
    More like Goose Age Origins
    This game is deep, and that’s the greatest thing about it.
    The depth though is also the worst thing about it
    This game starts out with letting you customize your character and choosing your class.
    All of your choices here will determine the origins story you are given.
    There’s potentially 6 different stories to be told in this game…
    I played the console version of this game, so it’s much more action oriented than strategy based.
    You can journey with 4 allies at a time to help you fight enemies and you can gain new allies along your journey,
    How you treat your allies and the people in the world around you will determine if they turn their back on you or help you with your cause.
    Your allies do a fairly decent job at holding their own... they only got stuck one time in my entire playthrough.
    You can equip gear you find on them much like a JRPG, there is tons of micro managing your ally’s skills as well as yours,
    Dragon Age Origins is lengthy, but not lengthy because there is so much great content to experience...
    The game is long just for the sake of being long... it accomplishes nothing in dragging the story on forever and makes you do more than you should really have to…
    The entire game feels like one giant goose chase.
    After your origins story the map opens up and you can freely clear it in any order you choose,
    The incentive to doing so is there is a blight... demons… an army... you need allies, so you set out into the vast sections to gain those allies...
    Each section of the map could literally be their own game… and not necessarily in a good way.
    They all have their own self-contained stories that link to the overarching story, but every single one of them follow the formula of the main story, which is you think you’re done but you’re not
    you get to whoever you’re looking for but they need you to do this before they’ll help you but when you get there to do what they need there’s someone there that needs you to help them before they can help you help the person that you need to help before they’ll help you..
    Its overwhelming and ultimately makes the game feel like it drags on forever
    and quite frankly it does... you never feel like you are making any true progress…
    It took me 10 hours of playing before the game got even a little bit interesting to me.
    There are some really cool sections to this game, again they all feel like they could be their own game...
    It’s crazy to look back when you’re near the end and think of the journey you’ve been on and how it was indeed part of this game and not some game you played years ago even though it feels like it.
    There’s mages, demons, going through the fade and shape shifting, hunting werewolves down in the forest, going underground to search for a mighty anvil
    There is so much to experience.
    While Dragon Age’s game world is vast and deep, I found the gameplay and journey to be shallow and tedious.
    Due to the delivery of the story, and the constant webbing of story lines I found Dragon Age Origins to eventually feel more like a chore than a game,
    After about 30 hours in I was begging for the game to be over, to get to the point, but instead it drug me down another 20 hours of rabbit holes.
    If the rabbit holes don’t make the game feel tedious enough, it also does a horrible job at quest progression in general...
    You rarely know where you’re supposed to go,
    The marker for the quest you’re on only appears when you’re close to the desired location…
    and by close, I mean practically on top of it…
    Which will lead you right to google to figure out where this person lives since who’s going to really memorize the locations of these people by name?
    I’m not
    There’s a Lot to do in Dragon Age Origins, so I can definitely see why people love this game so much…
    Even I appreciate the game for what it has going on...
    There was just ultimately nothing here to hook me in...
    If I didn’t feel obligated to make it to the credits, I definitely wouldn’t have
    I give Dragon Age Origins a 7.5/10
    Expand
  3. May 12, 2015
    8
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I do not have to say anything more. But i need to write one hundred and fifty characters. i think my score can describe it............................ Expand
  4. Dec 13, 2012
    9
    Excellent story-driven WRPG that gets bogged down by poor pacing. While the characters and storyline are generally very good, certain areas get tedious to slog through (especially Orzammar & The Deep Roads) and become a chore to finish. There are plenty of game-changing decisions to make, adding thorough replay value, but some seem like no brainers for me (who would ever side with theExcellent story-driven WRPG that gets bogged down by poor pacing. While the characters and storyline are generally very good, certain areas get tedious to slog through (especially Orzammar & The Deep Roads) and become a chore to finish. There are plenty of game-changing decisions to make, adding thorough replay value, but some seem like no brainers for me (who would ever side with the werewolves other than to be edgy?). There are the typical Bioware romance options and "do a tutorial & intro then go to three areas and then fight the big bad boss" gameplay structure but overall this is a lengthy, memorable campaign that RPG fans should invest their time in. Expand
  5. Aug 20, 2014
    9
    Fantastic RPG and return of Bioware to the top form. After the ultimate masterpieces of Baldurs Gate saga, most people, including me, were a bit disappointed with Neverwinter Nights, ugly 3D visuals, no full party, average characters, typical story etc. Everything is back in top form business with Dragon Age: Origins, this is that memorable fantasy RPG experience fans were hoping for. InFantastic RPG and return of Bioware to the top form. After the ultimate masterpieces of Baldurs Gate saga, most people, including me, were a bit disappointed with Neverwinter Nights, ugly 3D visuals, no full party, average characters, typical story etc. Everything is back in top form business with Dragon Age: Origins, this is that memorable fantasy RPG experience fans were hoping for. In some cases it even goes beyond the original BG, extremely strong and interesting party members and their reactions to your decisions and interactions between each other, very hard story decisions, nice new party camp system and selection of your current active squad or completely different story starts based on the selection of your character, these are the reasons to love DA:O. Extensive world, full map to travel tons of quests and about 100 hours of gameplay it took me to finish everything including all the side quests, which is pretty impressive amount of content. I loved the story and the way this game includes you directly in it, this is the thing Bioware does best and it especially shines here. Very challenging fights even on normal difficulty, that makes you use tactics and abilities of all your party members to maximum and PC interface and visuals of all inventory stuff or skills and spells, this is the way I like it, even sub-specializations of all classes was a very nice thing how to spice things up. My only minor gripe would be music, which apart from a few main themes with female vocals that were very nice, wasn't very memorable and in case of battle music even annoying. Audio balance is also broken in the original game making the combat music too loud and ambient too quiet which I had to fix by installing mods, but even despite this I enjoyed this game 100% because it gave me that true and pure fantasy RPG experience that I love so much. 9/10 Expand
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    10
    Simply one of the best role playing computer games ever made, a fascinating world that sucks you in with superbly realized characters and a great game mechanic. One of Bioware's best, and that's saying something,
  7. Jul 26, 2013
    9
    A very good game which I played thru once and explored almost everything. A whole month of fun. I am still giving it 9 and not 10 because of the ending. I expected some twist in the end or an additional zone or something, but it was just the last dragon and done. Dunno, the ending was just too predictable.
    Also, there is just 1 mage and 1 healer in the game (which are hard to keep both),
    A very good game which I played thru once and explored almost everything. A whole month of fun. I am still giving it 9 and not 10 because of the ending. I expected some twist in the end or an additional zone or something, but it was just the last dragon and done. Dunno, the ending was just too predictable.
    Also, there is just 1 mage and 1 healer in the game (which are hard to keep both), and too many melee characters.
    All this said, the game is very very good. Anyone should see it. It has amazing story, very deep and balanced gameplay. Actually, it's one of those rare games where I cared to read dialogs! That's something.
    Expand
  8. Apr 24, 2013
    9
    A top-tier RPG, Dragon Age: Origins is an excellent game on the whole. The characters are fun to interact with and have considerable personality, the storyline is interesting, there are a number of interesting choices which are not clearly "right" or "wrong" and therefore require you to actually weigh what YOU think is best (and which have an impact on the ending, with different forcesA top-tier RPG, Dragon Age: Origins is an excellent game on the whole. The characters are fun to interact with and have considerable personality, the storyline is interesting, there are a number of interesting choices which are not clearly "right" or "wrong" and therefore require you to actually weigh what YOU think is best (and which have an impact on the ending, with different forces fighting by your side depending on your decisions), the voice acting is excellent, and the graphics do their job (though they are not perfect, and do expose a deep love of blood spatter on the part of the developers).

    The biggest flaw with the game lies in its combat system, sadly. As the game goes on, it becomes increasingly clear that wizards are far more powerful than anything else, and the ability to combine spell effects allows you to wipe out entire groups of enemies effortlessly, often without them even having a ghost of a chance of reaching you. While it is very nice that the bosses actually ARE vulnerable to many of these effects (and rather than having immunity merely are less effected by them, making it still feel very useful) sadly the ordinary combats in the game by and large can be resolved with a few spells cast in combination once you reach a certain point in the game, which trivializes combat from there on out. Moreover, the enemy variety runs a bit thin at the very end of the game; you fight darkspawn at the beginning, then fight more in Orzammar, then fight more at the end, and they are fundamentally unchanged in their appearances.
    Expand
  9. Dec 24, 2012
    9
    I really like this game, a lot. It has a huge, and I mean HUGE replay value, with 3 deep classes, 3 different races to choose with choices of origins, which changes the story of your game and, even if small, the details change during your gameplay, even from your current gender. The story is interesting and has a lot of background that incites you to research for history, but also niceI really like this game, a lot. It has a huge, and I mean HUGE replay value, with 3 deep classes, 3 different races to choose with choices of origins, which changes the story of your game and, even if small, the details change during your gameplay, even from your current gender. The story is interesting and has a lot of background that incites you to research for history, but also nice turns and your choices will change some parts and even your party (some characters may or may not join you depending on what you will choose). However, there are quite some flaws that I couldn't skip or just avoid and that, sadly, annoyed me to no end. One small thing i want to add also is this: this game is impressive on the pc...but I firstly bought on the xbox and, unfortunely, the port to console is butchered in comparison, removing most of the details and slots of your skills, making it more an action game than a tactical rpg game. So, in short, if you're interested to this game, buy it on the pc...if your pc cannot run it, I highly suggest to avoid it, and here comes the flaws...and one of them is the combat. The game is an hybrid of action and strategy game (you can either control your character directly with your keyboard, or with an upper view like a strategy game) and it's not badly implemented at all...but the issues come once you have to do complicated fights, in which case you'll need to issue tactics (automatic orders) or give yourself orders using the pause button...but here's the problem, the AI in your control is horrible. I had my team doing few specific orders and yet they couldn't follow one properly! Whenever I told them to attack, they would stand still, and whenever they were supposed to attack or to heal, they would do nothing at all! I know in strategy games the orders are always constant but even the pre-set orders just don't work at all (and while on the console is kinda understandable, on the pc it should be working flawlessly). Also, the game is very limited in both freedom and enviroment: you have a map of the region and you can only visit certain locations, which will become more the more you play, but the game has a lot of secondary stuff and actions to do: you can create potions, traps and do also secondary quests...but there's no way to grind or farm those items and even the items you can buy will eventually finish, killing that sense of freedom that games like Oblivion or Skyrim has. The enviroment is far too limited too, infact you can't jump, swim, and you can only interact with certain items and people. I would mind too much if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of parts are on hills and such and you'll sense this limitation on your actions, Another limitations, not exactly small but I found it irritating, is the team itself. You have 4 people in your team, with your character as a predefinite and 3 more to add. The game has a sort of trinity system, with a tank, healer and dps scheme, and so even your group requires balance...which will limit, again, your team, because 2 of those 4 slots will be ALWAYS meant for a tank or a healer (or else 1, for a healer, which is a must). Unless you're one of those, you will be limited to add only 2 more members...and one of those will be a rogue, because it's the only class who can unlock chests and some doors, which even if they don't give much in items they will give you experience and since this game has no experience grind, it feels like a loss (infact, as a rogue, I had an higher level when I reached the same parts as my warrior or mage). I have more complain now, but it's rather personal...and it's the difficulty, which is very VERY unbalanced. I usually try to play games on normal difficulty but, since I'm lazy, I also play on easy. However, in this game , I could NOT pass over some early stages of the game on normal difficulty because they were just too hard, with enemies who could easily obliterate you and after playing not even 1 hour in! (and if you add the issues with the AI, you'll have big problems later on too). I probably just suck at this game but I do have to add one thing: I had the same difficulty issues in almost all Bioware games and so I really can't say it's just me, but I thought to add at least this detail, but all in all I still love this game and the huge amount of story driven choices, as well the huge background and great morality choices, it's one of those games that will make people enjoy each playthrough and even if flawed the game is just great and still detailed in some regards. I highly suggest to play, at least one playthrough, and in case you'll enjoy it even more, you'll have plenty of ways to restart the game, without countless hours of replay value at your disposal, even after 4 years of its release. Expand
  10. Mar 3, 2012
    8
    Bioware has created a solid dark fantasy RPG in Dragon Age: Origins but it lacks polish and has some fiendishly difficult battles which holds it back from true greatness.
  11. May 31, 2013
    9
    Great game that tells a really great story and plays very well. This game is about telling a deep story and immersing you into your character and defining who you are and how you will become the strongest of the strong.

    This, with the exception of Mass Effect series which I enjoyed all three was the last great story telling for Bioware.
  12. Jun 19, 2013
    10
    Aaaand this is why I love BioWare. Immersive and immense game. Great graphics and effects and a story and characters that are well written and you get invested in. Honestly, these are some of the most memorable characters in gaming memory, in my opinion, and it is so much fun to see the relationships first-hand between all the characters as you're walking around and they talk to each otherAaaand this is why I love BioWare. Immersive and immense game. Great graphics and effects and a story and characters that are well written and you get invested in. Honestly, these are some of the most memorable characters in gaming memory, in my opinion, and it is so much fun to see the relationships first-hand between all the characters as you're walking around and they talk to each other and react to the environments and missions differently depending on who's with you. Each character had unbelievable depth and, with the excellent voice acting and graphics, make for a very real experience when trying to dig deeper into each character as the story progresses.

    Arguably the most immersive RPG game I've played so far. Plus the Origins aspect where you, in a way, craft your own backstory, and how that affects how not only the characters treat you but the options made available to you and how you can progress the game, that is truly magical.

    Essentially, one of my all-time favorites and one that I have replayed numerous times (and I still play it even today!) If you haven't played it, and you love RPG games with an incredibly immersive fantasy world with memorable characters and multiple options about how to move the story (and accompanying consequences), this is the game for you.
    Expand
  13. Dec 10, 2013
    10
    I wrote this review, because of the negative marks and low average score this game got. I mean, 8.5 REALLY This game is true to the baldur's gate inheritance and has amazing scenario, graphics, music, ethical choices, spell and fight system and I got the best thief-assasin character ever... For me it is a clear 10
  14. Aug 13, 2012
    10
    What this game lacks in originality it makes up for in sheer fun and solid storytelling: this is a game which will make you want to keep playing, and which offers dozens and dozens of hours of entertainment (if you get the Ultimate Edition, which comes with the expansion and several DLC packs, you will easily find 80-100 hours of play). DA:O offers the usual assortment of classes,What this game lacks in originality it makes up for in sheer fun and solid storytelling: this is a game which will make you want to keep playing, and which offers dozens and dozens of hours of entertainment (if you get the Ultimate Edition, which comes with the expansion and several DLC packs, you will easily find 80-100 hours of play). DA:O offers the usual assortment of classes, abilities, weapons, and enemies which you'd expect in an RPG--nothing too original here--but works them together into a package which is easy to learn while offering significant depth for advanced players. Where this game really shines is in its story and characters (which you'd probably expect from a Bioware game). The many companions and other characters are generally well-written and interesting, each with their own secrets, quirks, and personal growth throughout the story. The banter between party members can be downright hysterically funny at times, while at others is offers a more serious look into the relationships between your companions. For those who really care, there is truly a LOT of (mostly-optional) dialogue in this game, which provides the opportunity to further explore the lore of the game, build relationships, and find allies (or enemies!). Moreover, for the truly curious gamer, there is much lore to be discovered in books, etc. throughout the game, providing plenty of background information on all sorts of things.So far I've played through this game three times, and enjoyed every time. While the main story remains the same, DA:O offers significant potential variety: 6 different origin stories, 3 races, 3 classes (each with multiple play-styles), and numerous in-game choices which affect the story. All of this helps keep the game fresh and very replayable: so far I've played it through 3 times (once as each race/class so far), and will certainly play it again in the future. It would be hard to recommend this game enough, so go ahead and give it a try if you have any interest in RPGs! Expand
  15. May 16, 2013
    9
    Easily one of the best fantasy RPG, but a huge minus for me the main antagonist(Loghain aside) is a mindless dragon, and you're protagonist doesn't speak. Conclusion if you like fantasy this is must own 4 you!
  16. Feb 14, 2012
    10
    One of the best isometric role playing games ever made. Deep, intricate, fantastic storytelling - serviceable combat, and epic in length. This game surprises, thrills, and engages. It even becomes emotional and powerful throughout it's very long campaign. The world is not as inventive or quirky as planescape torment, however it's pacing is fantastic for a game of this type.
  17. Sep 5, 2011
    9
    If you have the ultimate edition like me, you'll find this is one of the best RPGs in long time, unlike the sequel which is pretty crap due to console button bashing gameplay, this game maintains a PC grade experience who prefer a bit of strategy and planning. Excellent story, decent graphics, easily 100+ hours of gameplay.
  18. Sep 2, 2012
    9
    DAO is overall an awesome third-person RPG that has a great story and nice graphics with the right PC. The voice acting is very well done, although I still wish that your character talked as well. The game opens up in the beginning so you have options on where to go first and what you want to accomplish. The dungeons are large, well-made, and fun. To this day this game is definitelyDAO is overall an awesome third-person RPG that has a great story and nice graphics with the right PC. The voice acting is very well done, although I still wish that your character talked as well. The game opens up in the beginning so you have options on where to go first and what you want to accomplish. The dungeons are large, well-made, and fun. To this day this game is definitely worth playing on the PC if you haven't already. Expand
  19. Oct 1, 2015
    8
    Tier 2
    + Engaging story that covers a lot of interesting characters and plot arcs
    + One of the best casts of companion characters in gaming
    + Cool class and RPG system that borrows from the classics while introducing some unique perspectives
    ? A somewhat sporadic overall plot that becomes fairly generic in the end
    - Slow and/or stilted pacing throughout the game, rough around the edges
  20. Apr 19, 2017
    10
    This is one of the greatest RPGs of all times. Its has an amazing interactive elements with the characters like nothing I've ever seen in another RPG before. I still think Witcher 3 is the best RPG and Game ever. But this one is crazy good.
    Basically everything about it is amazing it has good voice acting and fantastic RPG elements and level design and the cool gameplay and the great
    This is one of the greatest RPGs of all times. Its has an amazing interactive elements with the characters like nothing I've ever seen in another RPG before. I still think Witcher 3 is the best RPG and Game ever. But this one is crazy good.
    Basically everything about it is amazing it has good voice acting and fantastic RPG elements and level design and the cool gameplay and the great story. The feeling you will have is unreal. You'll find yourself in the game and falling love with the characters and everything in it.
    Expand
  21. Jan 20, 2012
    10
    As time goes on, I look back with more and more fond memories of Dragon Age: Origins. When I first played the game, I was lukewarm to it. I thought it was decent, but too much of an old-school RPG. But as I played the game more, and after I beat it the second time, I realized that Dragon Age may be one of the finest RPGs ever created. The same warm feelings I have for classic RPGs likeAs time goes on, I look back with more and more fond memories of Dragon Age: Origins. When I first played the game, I was lukewarm to it. I thought it was decent, but too much of an old-school RPG. But as I played the game more, and after I beat it the second time, I realized that Dragon Age may be one of the finest RPGs ever created. The same warm feelings I have for classic RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights are now applying to Dragon Age as well. Bioware's singular ability to create a world and populate it with interesting characters, events, and locations is on full display. It's such a shame that Dragon Age 2 was a disappointment. Hopefully DA3 will live up to this amazing game. Until then, I shall be playing this game over and over, and forgetting that DA2 even exists. Expand
  22. Jan 19, 2013
    9
    Prior to Dragon Age Origins I was sure that Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Star Wars were the best Bioware games and that we would never see anything like that again. But DA:O came out and made me realize that Bioware still had what it took to make great games. The story, characters, gameplay and loot make this game a wonder to behold. I played this with the expansion (note I saidPrior to Dragon Age Origins I was sure that Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Star Wars were the best Bioware games and that we would never see anything like that again. But DA:O came out and made me realize that Bioware still had what it took to make great games. The story, characters, gameplay and loot make this game a wonder to behold. I played this with the expansion (note I said expansion--- not DLC) and this game was an outstanding experience. The presence of an online community that made mods made this game even better. Don't hesitate to get this game. It deserves your time and money and you will be glad you gave it a shot. Expand
  23. Dec 10, 2014
    8
    Dragon Age: Origins has a grand sense of scale with its epic, if a bit cliche story of slaying a big dragon who threatens the existence of all nice things in yet another fantasy world where city elves are subjucated, mages wear pajamas for armor and dwarves are drunks who are good at swinging battleaxes. There's nothing particularly original or groundbreaking in this RPG, but is still aDragon Age: Origins has a grand sense of scale with its epic, if a bit cliche story of slaying a big dragon who threatens the existence of all nice things in yet another fantasy world where city elves are subjucated, mages wear pajamas for armor and dwarves are drunks who are good at swinging battleaxes. There's nothing particularly original or groundbreaking in this RPG, but is still a thoroughly entertaining game nonetheless.

    In general, the combat provides a nice strategic experience, though difficulty can sometimes be a little inconsistent. Writing is for the most part quite strong and most companions are fairly interesting, however depending on the order you complete the main quest, I find that some companions are introduced too late in the game for you to build a strong rapport with. My other negative would have to be the visuals which are a little outdated, even for 2009.

    Overall rating: 8.4/10
    Expand
  24. Dec 5, 2016
    10
    I almost never give anything a 10, but DA:O deserves every point. Seven years after it first hit the virtual shelves, it remains the pinnacle of the story-driven fantasy rpg. It's also the spiritual sequel to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Fans of that game will find a lot of similarities here, starting with the fact that the characters and their stories are terrific. It's hardI almost never give anything a 10, but DA:O deserves every point. Seven years after it first hit the virtual shelves, it remains the pinnacle of the story-driven fantasy rpg. It's also the spiritual sequel to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Fans of that game will find a lot of similarities here, starting with the fact that the characters and their stories are terrific. It's hard not to get attached to them, even if you occasionally want to backhand Morrigan or knock some sense into Alistair. The game play hearkens right back to the PC classics of the previous decade, which may be a plus or a minus, depending on your preference. Definitely a plus for me. Expand
  25. Dec 27, 2013
    8
    The game has a very good story and great characters, but it somehow lacks immersion, because it's too linear for an RPG and the graphics are a weird mix of good looking characters, bad animations and terrible world textures. It also has a TON of bugs. Random crashes, quests that can't be completed.
    The interface and controls are average at best, even Baldur's Gate made some things better
    The game has a very good story and great characters, but it somehow lacks immersion, because it's too linear for an RPG and the graphics are a weird mix of good looking characters, bad animations and terrible world textures. It also has a TON of bugs. Random crashes, quests that can't be completed.
    The interface and controls are average at best, even Baldur's Gate made some things better and that was more than ten years ago.

    In the end it's a weird mix of very good and very bad aspects and even though it is a good game, for me it lacks the love for details required to be considered great and I guess E.A.'s influence is to blame for that.
    Expand
  26. May 14, 2012
    10
    in my opinion, this is the best game of all time. I really have nothing else to say, as I should clearly be playing Dragon Age RIGHT ****
  27. Mar 20, 2017
    10
    It's a masterpiece! The game at all times. It's a real RPG!
    A great story that doesn't let go until the end, worked out job, wonderful lore of the game. You feel afraid to live in this world. And you have to save him, you're a Grey warden.
    A wonderful character, and none will leave you indifferent. Nice to listen to their constant bickering. One of the advantages is the backstory of the
    It's a masterpiece! The game at all times. It's a real RPG!
    A great story that doesn't let go until the end, worked out job, wonderful lore of the game. You feel afraid to live in this world. And you have to save him, you're a Grey warden.
    A wonderful character, and none will leave you indifferent. Nice to listen to their constant bickering.
    One of the advantages is the backstory of the main character. This never was and probably never will! Game from the first seconds says what it nonlinear.
    The finale just fine. It is felt that it is historical (not looking at continue).
    Even dlc Awakening different from all others in the industry! The plot in Awakening is even more interesting than in the original game that will grab me nor a dozen hours.
    Expand
  28. Feb 24, 2013
    10
    A Masterpiece game, that is made by a great company in Bioware. Story is always interesting, allowing you to pick your own character race and each one has their own back story. Like playing as a Human Noble, City Elf, Circle Mage, etc. Gameplay is great, with great use of a tactical system and dialogue in-game provides great fun. Graphics are great, with blood and gore. Presentation isA Masterpiece game, that is made by a great company in Bioware. Story is always interesting, allowing you to pick your own character race and each one has their own back story. Like playing as a Human Noble, City Elf, Circle Mage, etc. Gameplay is great, with great use of a tactical system and dialogue in-game provides great fun. Graphics are great, with blood and gore. Presentation is like a story book style, and everything is easy to use. Sound in the game is great with amazing atmospheric music, and voice overs are well done. Although, it can be a bit on the low volume, so you might have to crank your volume up more than usual to hear. Also, some DLCs have come out for it to enhance the story even more. Overall, a masterpiece game. I don't remember another RPG like it, maybe except Neverwinter Nights 1. Expand
  29. Mar 7, 2016
    8
    It's definetely interesting, the story-line, the interaction with the other characters, the combat system... The only bad thing about the game is that it's way too slow-paced, kinda gets boring at times because of how slow everything happens.
  30. Jun 1, 2011
    9
    Bioware has created a truly magnificent Fantasy world with many contents within. The Story absolute divine and outlandishly good. The graphics and animations are fairly decent with games of that year and the combat is very unique and great. The only downside this game is that because so much Micromanaging is required for battles, hour-long dungeons can be incredibly repetitive and somewhatBioware has created a truly magnificent Fantasy world with many contents within. The Story absolute divine and outlandishly good. The graphics and animations are fairly decent with games of that year and the combat is very unique and great. The only downside this game is that because so much Micromanaging is required for battles, hour-long dungeons can be incredibly repetitive and somewhat boring. Overall Dragon Age Origins is an amazing video game and a must to RPG enthusists. The last time I had so much fun playing an RPG game was the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Baldur's Gate 2. Bioware has delivered us a well made, polished game. Expand
  31. Dec 31, 2013
    10
    A masterful game in every sense that will go down as one of the greatest Western RPGs ever made. Fantastic story & setting, grown-up dialogue, incredible interaction with characters, stirring music, immersive gameplay. If you like RPGs, pick this up and play it.

    What I love about the story: Bioware takes long-running fantasy races like elves & dwarves and puts their own stamp on them.
    A masterful game in every sense that will go down as one of the greatest Western RPGs ever made. Fantastic story & setting, grown-up dialogue, incredible interaction with characters, stirring music, immersive gameplay. If you like RPGs, pick this up and play it.

    What I love about the story: Bioware takes long-running fantasy races like elves & dwarves and puts their own stamp on them. Nothing about the world of Ferelden feels generic or lifted straight from another story. The intricately detailed backstory for virtually every group you run across is just fascinating. I read every codex entry I found, surprised at how deep the writing was. I could go on but it would be hard to do without getting into spoilers.

    Combat on the PC takes a very strategic bent and I recommend it over console ports. Graphics are also better. It is not easy but not overly difficult, either. It requires you to pay attention to what you’re doing and plan out attacks rather than sit there & button mash repeatedly, which is very nice. Boss battles are appropriately difficult, often requiring several tries and special strategies but not to the point where you will be breaking the keyboard in frustration.

    There’s nothing I can fault this game with. All of the origin stories were fun to play through and resulted in me connecting with all six possible character types. The multiple endings were neat to explore, as well. It was an amazing experience and a joy to play. Such a shame that Bioware is in decline and butchered the sequel because Dragon Age had unlimited potential to be a long-running RPG franchise. Even so, DAO will always hold a special place in my heart.
    Expand
  32. Dec 21, 2011
    9
    A true epic adventure which took me 70+ hours to complete, sidequests included. It has great characters, a rich and interesting world and a superb story!
  33. May 20, 2011
    9
    dragon age origins is pretty much the best PC RPG since Balur's Gate II, My first rpg is Baldur's Gate II which is still the pinnacle of the PC rpgs till this date imho. Dragon age origins is hugely reminiscent of Baldur's Gate II in concept and gameplay, although I could see it being confusing for people who weren't fans of the genre back then. Yet the D&D fans (I am not one of them) maydragon age origins is pretty much the best PC RPG since Balur's Gate II, My first rpg is Baldur's Gate II which is still the pinnacle of the PC rpgs till this date imho. Dragon age origins is hugely reminiscent of Baldur's Gate II in concept and gameplay, although I could see it being confusing for people who weren't fans of the genre back then. Yet the D&D fans (I am not one of them) may not agree with this since DAO's combat mechanics is modernized. However, the witty writings, characters, interactions and puzzles really draw myself back to Baldur's gate II. the interactive cinematic in the game is highly inspired by kotor, but this is not a bad thing since keeping everybody happy is still important. RPGs used to be about telling a story with you as the hero/villain. sadly the most popular rpgs right now like diablo and TES threw the core of rpgs out the window. But DAO shows a new way combining modernized tactical combat, dramatic story telling, and involving characters together to form a true epic. Expand
  34. Jul 30, 2017
    9
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.
  35. Apr 20, 2012
    10
    You won't find a better hier for Baldur's Gate. This is a master piece. Don't miss the Ultimate Edition which includes all DLC content and a expansion pack!
  36. Feb 3, 2014
    8
    Story: 8 out of 10, Graphics: 8 out of 10, Fun: 8 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10, Length: 8 out of 10, Re-play: 3 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  37. Dec 10, 2014
    10
    An absolutely brilliant game that will remain a classic for all time. You really do struggle to find much fault in a world and game as well crafted as this. It is a labour of love - and it shows.

    Jimbo Rating: 10/10
  38. Dec 20, 2016
    10
    I can explain all but i have no need to do that. This is (in all the things he touch) the best rpg game than i have ever play. Asome characters, asome history, asome systems, i love all of this game.
  39. Jun 7, 2013
    10
    The last great mainstream RPG. Probably Bioware's last great game. It was definitely downhill from here. Lots of replay value, great characters, great dialogue, engaging gameplay. It's a challenging game that makes you stop and think about your tactics and choices in combat, and that's rare these days. You can and will make mistakes developing your characters. Replaying the game is alwaysThe last great mainstream RPG. Probably Bioware's last great game. It was definitely downhill from here. Lots of replay value, great characters, great dialogue, engaging gameplay. It's a challenging game that makes you stop and think about your tactics and choices in combat, and that's rare these days. You can and will make mistakes developing your characters. Replaying the game is always a gem and you'll usually find new things to notice every time you play through. This game made a big impression on me, and it really illustrated to me just how horrible most video games are because it provided such a high quality experience. A must own, a rental will not do it justice. Also, mod support for the PC is a plus! Expand
  40. Feb 29, 2012
    10
    I picked up Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition during a Gamefly sale, and for $7.49, this has been the best value that I've ever gotten for my gaming dollars. Dragon Age gripped me from the moment that I started playing it, and after over 100 hours of gameplay, I'm still having a blast.

    To me, Dragon Age plays a lot like a single player linear-ish MMO, if that makes any sense.
    I picked up Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition during a Gamefly sale, and for $7.49, this has been the best value that I've ever gotten for my gaming dollars. Dragon Age gripped me from the moment that I started playing it, and after over 100 hours of gameplay, I'm still having a blast.

    To me, Dragon Age plays a lot like a single player linear-ish MMO, if that makes any sense. Because you can set a "casting priority list" for each of your party members, switch characters whenever you want, and issue commands while the game is paused....yeah, I really felt like I was using special mind control powers over a fairly typical MMO party. Once you add in some great character development and dialogue, the kind that BioWare is well known for, along with a gripping story, the result is an RPG classic. Origins is a can't miss game for anyone who loves mages and warriors and rogues and stuff.

    Dragon Age isn't a perfect game, as no game is, but for the sake of bumping up the score, I feel compelled to give it a 10 out of 10 (after all, I can't select 9.5, which is what I think it deserves). I'll also mention that the extensive DLC content, as well as the Awakening expansion, just add more of what makes Origins itself so much fun. If you haven't played Origins at all yet, then I definitely would recommend buying the Ultimate Edition.
    Expand
  41. Aug 10, 2011
    10
    I just can't believe people giving this anywhere BELOW 5. I can understand that some people might not enjoy the game, but giving it anything below a 5 is not being objective in any sense of the word. That is taking something that is great and trying to put it in the mud. I really hope that bioware did not read some of the red-score comments from this page when they made DA 2, although itI just can't believe people giving this anywhere BELOW 5. I can understand that some people might not enjoy the game, but giving it anything below a 5 is not being objective in any sense of the word. That is taking something that is great and trying to put it in the mud. I really hope that bioware did not read some of the red-score comments from this page when they made DA 2, although it does seem like they did. The result? A far worse game.

    At any rate, I bought the collectors edition for this game. Still, 2 years after, I can't remember buying a collectors edition and getting that much value for my money (except for buying the original BG 2, 200 hrs for 50 euro? They don't make games like that anymore). When I saw the metal box I just knew I had something special in my hands. I opened it and found the cloth map of ferelden, nice touch indeed. Definitely value for money in the finish of this product.

    Now, 2 years after, I am reinstalling the game. Last spring I had a while where I couldn't get myself to play RPG's, I was so tired of them. Now I got back into it, playing The Witcher 2 (awesome game so far) and Mass Effect 2, I decided to make a fresh DA: O install. Hopefully this is a wise choice with regards to DA 3 (whenever they announce it), hopefully as in I hope DA 3 will be more along the lines of DA: O than DA: II.
    I remember reading about Dragon Age back in its infancy, and I must say that compared to the hype I got from reading about it back then, and then to seeing the final product, I was a bit disappointed. I soon got over that disappointment I remember. I recall awesome voice acting, great characters, and a WANT to play this game. I didn't want to stop. I rarely replay games, for me I never look at the replayability of a game, because it doesn't apply. However some games deserve more than one play through. Baldurs Gate 2 (completed twice, playing through it a third time very slowly these days), Mass Effect 2 (I have completed it twice and am playing through it on 4-5 chars haha), Dragon Age: Origins (going for a rogue this time, or a non-arcane-warrior mage), and The Witcher 2. To me these games are all classics, there is no dicussion, if you ask me all these games should be in any gamer and nongamers collection. I go by the feel of a game, and DA: O is awesome, there is a reason I am installing it again as we speak...
    Expand
  42. Apr 15, 2015
    10
    The game that is the SIGNATURE masterpiece from Bioware. From the opening notes of the theme, the whole game just sucks you in. I love the interplay with your companions and the difficult situations that continued throughout the ENTIRE game. There is just No WAY I can't give this a TEN.

    I have played all of the Great Fantasy RPG's, including the Original Pen & Paper D&D and this the
    The game that is the SIGNATURE masterpiece from Bioware. From the opening notes of the theme, the whole game just sucks you in. I love the interplay with your companions and the difficult situations that continued throughout the ENTIRE game. There is just No WAY I can't give this a TEN.

    I have played all of the Great Fantasy RPG's, including the Original Pen & Paper D&D and this the Greatest (Even greater than my beloved Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines)

    A game worth more than THREE times its original $60 purchase price, GUARANTEED!!
    Expand
  43. Oct 22, 2010
    9
    Great RPG. Amazing customisation of how you want your party members to respond to different situations. Once you start getting some levels into you and your party and opening up tactic slots the game becomes a LOT of fun as you can set all their tactics up to deal with most situations allowing you to just concentrate on how your player wants to fight and then jumping over to your otherGreat RPG. Amazing customisation of how you want your party members to respond to different situations. Once you start getting some levels into you and your party and opening up tactic slots the game becomes a LOT of fun as you can set all their tactics up to deal with most situations allowing you to just concentrate on how your player wants to fight and then jumping over to your other party members if something extraordinary is going on and requires specific potions/buffs. Lots of choices to make throughout the game that DO change the experience enough to allow at least 3 different playthroughs. Really interesting environments, good enough graphics. Sounds and atmosphere are spot on. I guess i'm taking a point off for minor graphics issues and some annoyance at some story arcs. This is easily made up for with the multitude of side quests allowing me to get 80 hrs out of my first playthrough with this almost perfect game. Play it if you want to enjoy the best of modern RPGs out there. Expand
  44. Nov 12, 2014
    8
    For those obsessed with open world (seems like everyone these days for some reason), this game is not for you. This game is about story, characters, and the choices you make. Which is absolutely fine by me. I don't need a huge expansive world with little density of activity. I want a smaller, richer world and Dragon Age delivers on that.

    While the story is good, the prime draw here
    For those obsessed with open world (seems like everyone these days for some reason), this game is not for you. This game is about story, characters, and the choices you make. Which is absolutely fine by me. I don't need a huge expansive world with little density of activity. I want a smaller, richer world and Dragon Age delivers on that.

    While the story is good, the prime draw here is the characters and how invested you get in there own personal stories. Very few games can achieve the level of concern for the well-being of fictitious characters!

    The choices you make in this game bleed over into the second (in limited ways) and the third (hopefully in more ways) games, giving you a sense that you really are shaping the world.

    I love how tactical the combat is, something that gets somewhat lost in the sequel in favor of more action-oriented combat. Don't do that Bioware. Dragon Age should always have the option of tactical combat.

    A few criticisms though. First, the graphics are strangely a little lacking for its time, and it holds up worse now. Second, the Fade section is a HUGE drag. I hope if we do Fade sections in the future they aren't like that! Third, I would have liked a more customizable tactics interface. As it is I rarely use the tactics menu because it's not effective enough to bother. Finally, costly DLC that affects the main story is a big no-no. DLC is only acceptable if it's for non-essential items.

    This is still a great entry into the series, and I'd suggest anyone thinking about trying a Dragon Age game start here. While it doesn't have the polish of the Mass Effect games, it's still a very good game.
    Expand
  45. Dec 26, 2010
    8
    I applaud the effort Bioware, but this is not a "Baldurs Gate 3" like you wanted it to be. Only 3 classes? Really? Sure they can do different things and have different buttons, but specialities are not classes onto themselves. This really felt like getting back to my rpg roots with an isometric view and pure strategy winning the day, but it's far from perfect. Mages are by far theI applaud the effort Bioware, but this is not a "Baldurs Gate 3" like you wanted it to be. Only 3 classes? Really? Sure they can do different things and have different buttons, but specialities are not classes onto themselves. This really felt like getting back to my rpg roots with an isometric view and pure strategy winning the day, but it's far from perfect. Mages are by far the best class after you pick your tank, and the signature rogue ability of finding traps can be anyone's ability, so they're left with opening locked chests which never give you anything cool. The story seems a little too close to Dungeon Siege 2 for me to call it amazing, but you really do want to keep playing to see what happens next, and the fact that the various endings are usually far from "and they lived happily ever after" means I actually enjoy seeing what happens. Expand
  46. Oct 13, 2015
    9
    Like Mass effect 2, this could one of bioware's best games that they have made. After the release of Baldur's gate, I found Dragon Age Origins to be a huge improvement over both Baldur's Gate.

    I found the entire story to be intriguing and the amount of choices you makes this game feel like a better rpg than Bioware's "Mass Effect". And also unlike Mass effect, you don't get a
    Like Mass effect 2, this could one of bioware's best games that they have made. After the release of Baldur's gate, I found Dragon Age Origins to be a huge improvement over both Baldur's Gate.

    I found the entire story to be intriguing and the amount of choices you makes this game feel like a better rpg than Bioware's "Mass Effect". And also unlike Mass effect, you don't get a paragon/renegade dialogue option but more like a "fallout" dialogue option which makes the player feel more open to more dialogue options than just "good and bad" options. Also another thing that was interesting was the approval and disapproval rating, everything you do affects your companions and it can either result in your companion disapproving/approving your decisions and in the long term in can result in a companion leaving if the approval rating is down or even a love interest. And you also take on a few companion missions, which aren't very good. (mass effect 2 fixes this problem.)

    But I find the combat DoD system to be outdated, I was really expecting a hack and slash kinda gameplay but the DoD tackles the combat in a different and strategic way. The skills tree isn't very helpful and limited to customization same with the entire leveling up system, it feels to inconsistent which at times it ranks me up too fast or too slow.

    But also a huge problem is the PC optimization. it's horrible due to the memory leak so I found myself restarting a game a whole bunch of times and I was angry at this. But in overall content I was very surprised. Dragon Age Origins main campaign left me playing around 48 hours and it's not even 80% completed and with the main campaign DLC completed. The awakening expansion is a very nice expansion which clocks in around 12 hours, it's a fair amount of time to complete but I found it to be short at times and rushed as well. The other DLC (Witch hunt, GoA, DSC, and Leliana's song) are okay but the only ones I recommend is Witch Hunt, leliana's song (because of companion reasons.) and GoA (for leveling up your gray warden) But I would skip buying GoA, and DSC it was lacking detail and in the end... I don't care about it anyways.

    So all in all, get this game, It was exciting to play and I was very happy with the overall content and this is a much better RPG than Mass effect. I would buy the Ultimate edition if I had to, to play DA:O and Awakening again.
    Expand
  47. Oct 14, 2011
    9
    Good, solid Fantasy RPG. Nothing revolutionary, but definitely worth the money. The storyline was immersive, the characters were interesting, and the graphics were sufficient (not great though). Too bad Dragon Age II was apparently such a disaster, if it had been more like Origins it probably would have done a lot better.
  48. Jul 5, 2011
    9
    Dragon Age Origins has a different feel than most RPG's that i am used to, though i still enjoyed the game the story sucked me right in yet it wasn't perfect the mechanics were fun but took some getting used too gameplay was more strategic than action this is were it hurts me the most i like Action Role Playing Games like Diablo 2 LOD and Dragon Age Origins took some getting used to. OverDragon Age Origins has a different feel than most RPG's that i am used to, though i still enjoyed the game the story sucked me right in yet it wasn't perfect the mechanics were fun but took some getting used too gameplay was more strategic than action this is were it hurts me the most i like Action Role Playing Games like Diablo 2 LOD and Dragon Age Origins took some getting used to. Over all this game is worth the money If you are interesting don't hesitate its should be relatively cheap now. Expand
  49. Sep 16, 2011
    8
    It's a typical BioWare's game, and it means tahat game is very good. It's hard - but hard in friendly way. It's generic - but depsite og this, it's still interesting.
  50. Aug 20, 2015
    10
    This was my first real RPG experience. Had introduced me in the story masterfully, I can feel as the protagonist and each action counts exploring the world at my will. It has the same gameplay as Pillars of Eternity (which is inspired in this gameplay). One of its most important things is the toolkit to have literally thousands of mods, I remember playing it with all my companionsThis was my first real RPG experience. Had introduced me in the story masterfully, I can feel as the protagonist and each action counts exploring the world at my will. It has the same gameplay as Pillars of Eternity (which is inspired in this gameplay). One of its most important things is the toolkit to have literally thousands of mods, I remember playing it with all my companions customized and it was awesome. King of RPGs! Expand
  51. Apr 5, 2013
    10
    I absolutely loved this game, I spent over 1200 hours playing it and played all the origins possible. I also tried out loads of the user created mods and they added even more enjoyment. I bought all the dlc which was a bit 'meh' compared to the actual game and mods.
    Im going to give this game a 10 cause I still love going back for my DAO fix. Love the happy ending too. Didnt like the
    I absolutely loved this game, I spent over 1200 hours playing it and played all the origins possible. I also tried out loads of the user created mods and they added even more enjoyment. I bought all the dlc which was a bit 'meh' compared to the actual game and mods.
    Im going to give this game a 10 cause I still love going back for my DAO fix. Love the happy ending too. Didnt like the gross armours for women and mages but can't have everything)
    Expand
  52. Jun 25, 2013
    9
    Dragon Age is without a doubt one the best modern RPG games. It has exceptionally strong story and good character design. You also get constant feeling of desperation and imminent doom as the story progresses. The game is also more realistic than NWN series and geared more toward mature audiences. This also shows in difficulty level which can at first be notable.

    My main (and relatively
    Dragon Age is without a doubt one the best modern RPG games. It has exceptionally strong story and good character design. You also get constant feeling of desperation and imminent doom as the story progresses. The game is also more realistic than NWN series and geared more toward mature audiences. This also shows in difficulty level which can at first be notable.

    My main (and relatively minor) problem with this game is the character development system, which is dumbed down from NWN. I personally liked NWNs D&D (Dungeons & dragons) system and character classes (which could be combined quite freely) very much. I do realize, however, that for most player this system didn't give any added value and is overly complicated when targeting larger audiences.

    One thing to mention is that the game is exceptional long by modern standards. It gives easily 40-50 hours of playtime. Maybe even more depending on your play style. All in all, it's an exceptional game and offers really good value for your money.
    Expand
  53. Apr 1, 2015
    8
    Very fun game. Very good story and choice and consequence. Interesting characters and political situation.

    The controls and camera are good. The biggest negative is that weapons and equipment are class restricted in a very strict way. Rogues per definition use dual daggers or bow and cannot even equip a sword. I don't understand why this was necessary. Overall a very good game, much
    Very fun game. Very good story and choice and consequence. Interesting characters and political situation.

    The controls and camera are good. The biggest negative is that weapons and equipment are class restricted in a very strict way. Rogues per definition use dual daggers or bow and cannot even equip a sword. I don't understand why this was necessary.

    Overall a very good game, much better than it's sequels! 8.3/10!
    Expand
  54. Jul 31, 2011
    9
    Definitely a worthy unofficial successor to the Baldur's Gate series although it limits the open-worldness of BG. Had a blast with the story/choices you can make in the game as well as the graphical detail/smoothness of gameplay. The combat was varied and the decisions you make while paused actually matters. NPC reactions were often pretty well designed although I am very disappointedDefinitely a worthy unofficial successor to the Baldur's Gate series although it limits the open-worldness of BG. Had a blast with the story/choices you can make in the game as well as the graphical detail/smoothness of gameplay. The combat was varied and the decisions you make while paused actually matters. NPC reactions were often pretty well designed although I am very disappointed that Bioware decided to add "mission boards" for the side quests instead of promoting exploration. AI has also been improved from their previous games as well. Expand
  55. Feb 23, 2014
    9
    There very first word on my mind is: "wow". I have just finished it for the first time and I am quite satisfied. Great game, and even after 4 years still very playable. I was sceptic at the beginning, but soon I find out that DA:O is really fantastic. Gameplay is nice, tactical and full of action, voice-acting is one of the best in pc games, characters are amazing, and You can really getThere very first word on my mind is: "wow". I have just finished it for the first time and I am quite satisfied. Great game, and even after 4 years still very playable. I was sceptic at the beginning, but soon I find out that DA:O is really fantastic. Gameplay is nice, tactical and full of action, voice-acting is one of the best in pc games, characters are amazing, and You can really get on with them, music is also great. Plot, even though it is classic world saving, have many deep twists and it is not simple with moral issues. I am touched. Every good rpg fun should really try it. This game is not a disappointment, maybe it is not Baldur or Icewind but still one peace of a great, long, interesting game. Expand
  56. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    10
    A great game. Very immersing story, believable world, interesting NPCs, fun and demanding combat. You could replay it with a new class (as i did) and still game was great. Highly recommended.
  57. Apr 19, 2011
    10
    One of the great RPG, that's real. nothing much to complain about the game: The combat, the gameplay, the character, the story, quest, items...all is great. The things I have to complain myself is I've played this game so late! Maybe many people criticize about its difficulty: It is very hard on the hard and nightmare mode, I agree, but I enjoy the challenge :). The things make the game isOne of the great RPG, that's real. nothing much to complain about the game: The combat, the gameplay, the character, the story, quest, items...all is great. The things I have to complain myself is I've played this game so late! Maybe many people criticize about its difficulty: It is very hard on the hard and nightmare mode, I agree, but I enjoy the challenge :). The things make the game is not so perfect is about the main character: except the small dialogues in the gameplay, they doesn't speak dialogue option! Overall, the game that worth to waste money that every gamer should have in their collection. 10 points!!! Expand
  58. Apr 28, 2011
    10
    This is the best RPG of the last 3 years at least, and is a truly epic and inspiring adventure. There is so much depth to this game its ridiculous - obviously TONS of game design went into it. I bought this after purchasing DA2 and realizing it was terrible, and seeing reviews of this game were much different. This is a far superior game to DA2.
    In any case - this is awesome, and the
    This is the best RPG of the last 3 years at least, and is a truly epic and inspiring adventure. There is so much depth to this game its ridiculous - obviously TONS of game design went into it. I bought this after purchasing DA2 and realizing it was terrible, and seeing reviews of this game were much different. This is a far superior game to DA2.
    In any case - this is awesome, and the "Ultimate" edition is now only like $40. thats like 200 hrs of gameplay for $40. sweet.
    Expand
  59. Nov 22, 2014
    10
    There are few "real" RPG, almost all are "Action-RPG" in which you fight with "player's skills", dodging and attacking with mouse and keyboard movements, except few ones like Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age Origins (not Dragon Age 2, of course). I will call them "Canonic-RPG" those in which your character fights "automatically" based only in its stats, not on player'sThere are few "real" RPG, almost all are "Action-RPG" in which you fight with "player's skills", dodging and attacking with mouse and keyboard movements, except few ones like Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age Origins (not Dragon Age 2, of course). I will call them "Canonic-RPG" those in which your character fights "automatically" based only in its stats, not on player's manipulation, you can love or hate this kind of RPG but one thing is true: there are so few of them, and this is one of the best, with two points of view (isometric and third person), an epic story with unforgettable moments, the "cinematic" dialogue from NWN2, and a solid toolset that allowed more than 2000 mods. What more could may be asked to a game? Expand
  60. Mar 25, 2011
    10
    The spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate. I didn't play Baldur's Gate so I can't comment on that one. But I can say that it's worthy to be the successor of the great Knights of the Old Republic. The RPG and combat elements are the same as KOTOR's (damn good). The story easily matches the story of KOTOR too. The characters are well-developed and (unlike newer WoW releases) It offers reallyThe spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate. I didn't play Baldur's Gate so I can't comment on that one. But I can say that it's worthy to be the successor of the great Knights of the Old Republic. The RPG and combat elements are the same as KOTOR's (damn good). The story easily matches the story of KOTOR too. The characters are well-developed and (unlike newer WoW releases) It offers really big challenges (Soloing is the most popular) so unlike at KOTOR you can get into some really big poop. It's what we excepted from Bioware, or maybe even more... Expand
  61. Apr 26, 2011
    9
    I can't give a perfect score unless something is perfect. I haven't met the perfect game. Dragon Age Origins came very close. This game, WOW, just WOW. I enjoyed the entire thing from start to finish, all of it. There were no moments for me of grinding or feeling like I had to perform some chore to get to the good stuff. It was all fun. The points that detract from perfection areI can't give a perfect score unless something is perfect. I haven't met the perfect game. Dragon Age Origins came very close. This game, WOW, just WOW. I enjoyed the entire thing from start to finish, all of it. There were no moments for me of grinding or feeling like I had to perform some chore to get to the good stuff. It was all fun. The points that detract from perfection are minor things like difficult camera angles in some places or stupid AI from team mates. Things easily rectified by simply moving or pausing combat and taking direct control. The story was expertly told and deep. Characters interact and communicate, they make you feel something about them. Actual feelings. I really liked Alistair and Leilana. They were good people who I found myself enjoying talking to, asking what they thought, exploring with. I really didn't like Zevran or Sten. I found myself not wanting to talk to them, cringing in anticipation of what they would say next. Most games I don't care. That this game could establish that level of attachment to characters is commendable. It's when a game becomes more than a game and wanders over toward something bigger. It becomes an experience, something you DID and enjoyed doing. Time well spent and stories worth telling. Expand
  62. Dec 22, 2011
    8
    One of Biowares best pieces of work. A must for any RPG fan. Sadly I am not greatly into fantasy games so did struggle at some points to enjoy it and did reroll a few times. It is great though because of the story, characters and I can understand how it is such a good game- although I do prefer sci fi.
  63. Oct 14, 2014
    9
    Very, very good. Interesting locations, NPCs, quests and storyline. Great character customization options, even for your NPC party members. Even pulls off humor with surprising frequency. There are one or two minor niggles, like the fact some NPC companions start off with sub-optimal skillsets, but that can be fixed with mods. All in all, one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Just don'tVery, very good. Interesting locations, NPCs, quests and storyline. Great character customization options, even for your NPC party members. Even pulls off humor with surprising frequency. There are one or two minor niggles, like the fact some NPC companions start off with sub-optimal skillsets, but that can be fixed with mods. All in all, one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Just don't bother with the sequel, DA2 isn't as good as this. Expand
  64. Mar 15, 2015
    10
    In my 30 years of gaming, Dragon Age Origins is my favourite game of all time. No other game has pulled me in and immersed me in the way this game did. With a brilliantly crafted game world, a cast of fascinating and likeable characters, multiple intersecting storylines, and well designed tactical party based combat Origins hits all the gameplay marks. If the game can be said to have anyIn my 30 years of gaming, Dragon Age Origins is my favourite game of all time. No other game has pulled me in and immersed me in the way this game did. With a brilliantly crafted game world, a cast of fascinating and likeable characters, multiple intersecting storylines, and well designed tactical party based combat Origins hits all the gameplay marks. If the game can be said to have any weakness, its that its graphics and animations are not particularly impressive, but they never detract from the enjoyment of the story and the characters.

    I've completed it 17 times and I expect that I will play it a few more, I can't say much more to recommend it than that.
    Expand
  65. Jun 24, 2011
    9
    One reviewer called this game a love letter to the classic RPG, and it's true. Huge, epic story on the scale of BG2, side plots, romance and a climactic final battle. Dragon Age: Origins brings the formula up to date. It has top-down-view tactical combat with a custom ruleset that works far better than the D&D one -- no "resting", and warriors and rogues have a range of abilities now!One reviewer called this game a love letter to the classic RPG, and it's true. Huge, epic story on the scale of BG2, side plots, romance and a climactic final battle. Dragon Age: Origins brings the formula up to date. It has top-down-view tactical combat with a custom ruleset that works far better than the D&D one -- no "resting", and warriors and rogues have a range of abilities now! Multiple endings, and even a gay romance plot that's been the subject of controversy but that I thought was rather good and a step forward for the genre. A little cliche and with some slow bits, but basically excellent. Expand
  66. Jul 5, 2012
    10
    Brilliant game. The person who complained about the AI is playing the wrong type of game. You aren't supposed to stand still and watch your players fight. You are supposed to think and work out how to use your team's mix of skills, and tell them what to do. It works very well: in hard battles you can keep pausing to keep track of everything going on and give new instructions. In easyBrilliant game. The person who complained about the AI is playing the wrong type of game. You aren't supposed to stand still and watch your players fight. You are supposed to think and work out how to use your team's mix of skills, and tell them what to do. It works very well: in hard battles you can keep pausing to keep track of everything going on and give new instructions. In easy battles you can give a few commands and let it play out. The really great thing about the game is the moral dilemmas. Time and again I was suprised that a quest to go and beat someone up turned into an interesting conversation where I became sympathetic to them and had to think to decide what to do. This is gaming at its very best. Expand
  67. May 18, 2011
    9
    A classic game that I will be replaying every few years for decades to come. The story, the characters, the setting... everything about this game impressed me and brought me back to the RPGs of a decade ago in spirit and in reality. If you haven't tried it yet, go out and get it!
  68. Feb 6, 2014
    10
    Started this game as a female dalish elf and it played fine enough, would've given it about an 8/10. After it crashed about an hour and a half in though and hadn't saved (my computer's fault, NOT the game's), I restarted as a male human noble. The story lines are actually different enough it peaked my interest to keep going. Turned into a game that jus got better and better. Recommend thisStarted this game as a female dalish elf and it played fine enough, would've given it about an 8/10. After it crashed about an hour and a half in though and hadn't saved (my computer's fault, NOT the game's), I restarted as a male human noble. The story lines are actually different enough it peaked my interest to keep going. Turned into a game that jus got better and better. Recommend this off the charts. Expand
  69. Dec 26, 2014
    9
    epic game with great subplot's , I got kinda burnt out by the time I reached ozzamar but with the interesting npc cutscene's and the ability to play thru as many types of personalities , cant say enough about this game
  70. Aug 13, 2014
    10
    The only thing I don't like about this game is the combat animations. Anyone swinging a two handed weapon looks absolutely ridiculous. But everything else in this game is a solid 10. Except maybe the dialog system. Your character never speaks ala Mass Effect. Instead you pick full text responses to everything. Which is ok, just could be better.

    While some criticize Dragon Age Origins as
    The only thing I don't like about this game is the combat animations. Anyone swinging a two handed weapon looks absolutely ridiculous. But everything else in this game is a solid 10. Except maybe the dialog system. Your character never speaks ala Mass Effect. Instead you pick full text responses to everything. Which is ok, just could be better.

    While some criticize Dragon Age Origins as being an RPG-lite experience, I really don't care. Yes it's not Skyrim with an infinite world to explore but the leveling system is hands down better. It's very similar to major mmo rpgs with talent trees and 5 base stats to level. It's not really balanced but being single player it doesn't need to be. Variety is fun, trying different things with all the classes is fun. The items also leave a bit to be desired as some really low level items have +damage on them which makes them better than items 10 levels higher. It just seems off and could use a few tweaks but it's not bad by any means.

    Even though the world is not open it's still plenty large and the story line is amazing. And it's all propped up by rich backstory and development of the world. You really feel like Ferelden is a very real place with all it's history and imperfections.

    If you haven't played this game you really just have to try it. You will not regret it.
    Expand
  71. Feb 23, 2011
    10
    +Good Story
    +Good Character development
    +Good Graphics
    +Good Voice acting
    +Good Options
    +Good Challenge
    +Good Character creation
    +Much diversity
    +Very Original

    -Might be Hard for Inexperienced gamers.
  72. Nov 29, 2013
    9
    Not only is the lore in DA: Origins fantastic, but the way Bioware was able to craft an engaging story around it from start to finish (the main storyline alone is probably 50+hrs) left me unable to put the game down until the end credits began to roll. The characters, the assorted collection of companions, the voice work, the personalities, the playful banter, the diversity on theNot only is the lore in DA: Origins fantastic, but the way Bioware was able to craft an engaging story around it from start to finish (the main storyline alone is probably 50+hrs) left me unable to put the game down until the end credits began to roll. The characters, the assorted collection of companions, the voice work, the personalities, the playful banter, the diversity on the main/side quests, and most importantly the choices presented at every turn allow you to really shape the adventure in your own eyes.

    The choices themselves were all so deeply routed in fundamental morality that the story essentially teases, tempts, and tests your conscience and better judgment. You basically have a little angel on one shoulder and a little demon on the other the entire time. Do it! Do it! They whisper, but who will you listen to? Throw in the fact that the storytelling itself is filled with all forms of deceit, scandal, and just about every other Shakespearean trick in the book made it a joy to play through.

    And of course mention to the combat is important. Tactical, strategic, challenging. Its the standard deep proven D&D real-time (optionally pause-able) party-based combat that just works. I never had any issues with the AI not following my pre-designed tactic rule sets or the enemy AI doing anything dumb. Only slightly disappointing thing here was the limitation on the number of tactical slots for each character as it tended to hamper more intricate and useful automated strategies.

    Final Score: 9/10. Love the first play-through and still feel a second one has lots to offer not only story wise, but difficulty wise should one dare to test their skill on the Hard or Insane difficulties.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Various nitpicks below, which prevented me from giving a 10/10. I might as well mention them I figure:

    - Despite being the Ultimate edition patched to the max this game engine loved to crash like crazy on a standard Intel i5 multicore machine. Literally every 10-30mins another random crash to the point I'd have to frequently quick save or risk losing my precious progress. Only after I forced the game to run on a single core did the crashing cease entirely (thank GOD!)

    - Enemies never respawn... ever. If you encounter an area that you are struggling to clear there is no going back and farming some levels so that you can comeback stronger. What you are is what you have. No more raising of gold to buy more potions. No compensating for earlier build errors in your characters. Everything is simply permanent. You can literally be f'ed and have no choice but to drop the game to Easy difficulty level to proceed (especially at the endgame which loves to absolutely f' you hard by dumping you into inescapable quests with no shops to replenish supplies between boss fights. Because of this the last 3 hours of my 60 hour journey were spent in gaming heII).

    - The in-game crafting was lacking to say the least (no smithing at all and the other skills like herbalism mostly an after thought). I also felt at times the character skillsets to be lacking (especially the general skills shared between all classes). And...making you have to hunt the game world to learn some specializations for your characters felt completely unnecessary (one shouldn't have to run to a Wiki to have fun.)

    - The shapeshifter class. I was so looking forward to this one...only the game makes it so frustrating to use that I literally abandoned it all together. Thing is, the game forceably turns all shapeshifters into human form during every cutscene. Problem? Every boss fight begins with a cutscene. Bigger problem? To reshapeshift requires not only a long spellcast but also a long cooldown on the skill itself. Yeah, you are essentially screwed for even attempting to use this class. Seriously, insta-shifting the character back into animal form after the scene ends would have been a simple fix how did this game have so many patches and an Ultimate edition with this kind of gamebreaking nuisance going unnoticed? Even one of the most useful skills "Overwhelm" wasn't included in the tactic's menu at all for shapeshifters (the dog yes, but not shapeshifters) so if you wanted to use it you always had to micromanage it. *shakes head*

    - The final boss fight was an epic battle between you and *spoiler alert* the fking P.O.S. camera. To have such a useful for camera for 95% of the game only to pull that. Really guys?
    Expand
  73. Jun 19, 2014
    10
    I've spoken with one of the bad reviewers of this game in an MMO I play. According to him, Skyrim is the definition of an RPG and this game doesn't qualify...too much story, talking, companion play, and lack of OP snipe instakill your enemies from afar. Anything less than those graphics or that level of openended play is just a disgrace. Quite frankly, I get bored with Skyrim afterI've spoken with one of the bad reviewers of this game in an MMO I play. According to him, Skyrim is the definition of an RPG and this game doesn't qualify...too much story, talking, companion play, and lack of OP snipe instakill your enemies from afar. Anything less than those graphics or that level of openended play is just a disgrace. Quite frankly, I get bored with Skyrim after about L40...too easy and too repetitive, and the story is kind of meh. I've yet to finish it. If you like a good story, lore, Bioware, and witty banter, then play this game.

    TACTICS REQUIRED. For anyone who has ever played an MMORPG and just /facepalmed in a raid because folks are asleep at the helm, you'll love the combat here. You can pause at your whim and tell everyone exactly what to do and when to do it. It's refreshing. Being Bioware with their Baldur/Neverwinter background, friendly fire is a thing. You can't just easy mode spam stack AoE on the party and steamroll. You can't fireball the entire group because you will blow up your companions too unless you put some planning into it. Boo hoo. I don't play on anything less than nightmare and it's good. Just difficult enough to keep it interesting...if you're not a steamroll fanatic.

    If you can only have fun in combat when you can faceroll through every fight, then you will hate this game.

    COMPANIONS: Great voice acting. The bickering. The camaraderie. The romance. This piece makes the game so much more enjoyable than something like Skyrim which is a kind of quiet and lonely place. Much thought went into the dialogue here, well beyond taking an arrow to the knee. Want new dialogue? Mix and match your party members. Each combination queues different dialogues. And no, they're not on repeat.

    THE LORE: I usually get bored here. I usually skip this part, spam through text and get to the fighting. DA did it right, built a world on some very simple ideas and went deep with those simple ideas. Mages and their power inspired an entire religion and legal system and not to their advantage which saturates the landscape of Thedas, as one example. Your companions reactions to one another add more nuance to the perceptions of this world.

    THE GRAPHICS: Yes, there's some clunkiness. If you've played NWN2 or any other Bioware game you'll recognize the circles around the feet of your companions and such. Combat is similar to these older games when it comes to stabbing something with a dagger. Spells...fast and easy. If story and game immersion > graphics for you, you just won't care. I still play Neverwinter Nights 1 on occasion, so, meh. The polish of this game isn't in the graphics, it's in the gameplay, story, and characters, which is as it should be. Quality over mere visual distraction.

    REPLAYABILITY: Yes. And then some.
    Expand
  74. Jul 18, 2011
    10
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story was brilliant and highly immersive. This game truly played on my emotions, from the tragic to the comic. The power struggle in my warden's relationship with Morrigan reminded me of real-life. Alistair's social ineptitude made me laugh. When I played a female warden and romanced him I acquired a previously unknown-to-me rapport with women in general. The voice actors were brilliant. The dramatic events were staged with cinematographic insight. The music was inspiring. The game isn't perfect, and the combat tended to degenerate into freeze and smash (cone of cold beats everything), but I don't play these games for the combat and overall this is what RPGs should be. (Too bad about the turd of a sequel...) Expand
  75. Jan 6, 2015
    10
    From the creators of Mass Effect,we got a same caliber game in a medieval fantasy world.
    Awesome single-player RPG experience,with epic story and loveable characters.
    This game feels like its an alive real world.
    Must have for a hardcore RPG fan!
  76. Jun 3, 2014
    9
    Fantastic game, interesting characters, great story, good voice acting (mostly) and some pretty good graphics and game play. It is not earth shattering but it is really, really good.
  77. Jul 20, 2011
    10
    This is the ultimate D&D experience and successor to Baldurs Gate; the game IMHO is flawless. The element that impressed me the most is the LOVE and disproportionate time that went into the design of this game, which includes the artwork, conversations and choice trees along the plot. Even the monster battle tactics and animations were varied, rich and awesome.

    The designers did not
    This is the ultimate D&D experience and successor to Baldurs Gate; the game IMHO is flawless. The element that impressed me the most is the LOVE and disproportionate time that went into the design of this game, which includes the artwork, conversations and choice trees along the plot. Even the monster battle tactics and animations were varied, rich and awesome.

    The designers did not simply place cookie cutter dungeon walls that all look the same here and there, or cheap out on voice acting. No, the did the exact opposite. Every room looks lovingly designed to be slightly different. In a warehouse? Each room, has a different seemingly real world appearance that is different from one another. Ditto with the Dwarven caverns, and human castles, etc. Each character has a distinct personality. Does the thief use a different sword animation when she backstabs? you bet! And it looks pointy and deadly! Does the golem rock the ground simply by walking alongside you? Yes, nice touch. When a spider overwhelms your character and feasts on your prone body does it look disgusting and horrifying. Yup. Characters have different conversations with each other depending on who is in your party AND what you have accomplished in the plot and your choices. Your choices have a real impact on your game. You can even KILL some of the people that would have joined your party otherwise. It is truly mind boggling how many different plot twists there are depending on your started with (hence the origins) and what you do, and how you choose to do it. And, I know many of you are not big fans of cinematic sequences here, but the acting is really good - one scene, in a human castle, potentially was brutally heart wrenching, depending on how you chose to solve the issue.

    Others here, no doubt covered the controls, the plot, etc. I liked it all, honestly, But the real point is that at a time when designers push products out the door that all look the same and bang for the buck, you KNOW they spent far far more time than they had to, to make a good game here.
    Expand
  78. May 20, 2011
    8
    Great game overall, especially taking into consideration the state of group-based games in last decade. I enjoyed the graphic, animations, special fx and combat mechanics a lot, finding the latter to be some nice tactical challenge (granting one not play a wizard, which makes the game a stroll in the park on any difficulty), Unfortunately the game story is very disappointing: greatGreat game overall, especially taking into consideration the state of group-based games in last decade. I enjoyed the graphic, animations, special fx and combat mechanics a lot, finding the latter to be some nice tactical challenge (granting one not play a wizard, which makes the game a stroll in the park on any difficulty), Unfortunately the game story is very disappointing: great beginning turns out to this same old plot of saving the world from a horde of mindless monsters. Seriously, it does not get more boring and stupid than that. But once you accept the dull storyline, the game really shines and has good replayability potential. Also in my opinions the available dlcs are not worth of the original price, but are nice addition if you can find them in some bundle for few bucks.â Expand
  79. Jun 15, 2012
    10
    Definitely THE spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate´, and as such, Epic in every respect.
    One could argue that the graphics are not state-of-the-art-or-beyond, but the stories make you forget that in an instant.
  80. Feb 3, 2017
    9
    I really enjoyed it, and I definitely want more. Great story-telling, ok combat, weird pacing towards the end. All this makes for the last true Bioware game :)
  81. Apr 30, 2014
    10
    fantastic game need i say more hundreds of hours of joyfantastic game need i say more hundreds of hours of joy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  82. Apr 8, 2017
    9
    Лебединая песня Биовар - показывающая что они когда то умели делать игры, увы толерастия и эту серию загубила.
  83. Jul 11, 2013
    9
    this is by far one of my favorite games probably top 5 of all time. the story is so in depth has lots of cool secrets the game play was original and fun characters were awesome basically if you haven't played this game you missed out pick it up it's better than part 2. i would give this a 10 for perfect but it was lacking good expansions the few i played were kind of lame. Awakening (thethis is by far one of my favorite games probably top 5 of all time. the story is so in depth has lots of cool secrets the game play was original and fun characters were awesome basically if you haven't played this game you missed out pick it up it's better than part 2. i would give this a 10 for perfect but it was lacking good expansions the few i played were kind of lame. Awakening (the main one) had a corny twist to make up a story with characters that weren't nearly as cool to add on to a game that was so amazing. The only big thing i would've changed with origins is having the skill reset tool like they did in awakening i had a good fun with that. Otherwise Origins has a TON of replay ability and was just plain amazing. Expand
  84. Mar 10, 2014
    9
    One of the best RPG games I have ever played, spent 100's of hours replaying it, which is the key to a successful game. If you haven't played it yet - try it. Fantastic.

    Superb storyline, great plot and characters.
  85. Feb 16, 2017
    10
    Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition is an exceptional and epic fantasy role playing game. It is a perfect combination of old school (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc...) and modern western rpgs. It has a rich universe that tries to differentiates itself from the usual Tolkien bases (though I believe it is still very close to the classics... Replace Darkspawns with evil Orcs, andDragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition is an exceptional and epic fantasy role playing game. It is a perfect combination of old school (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc...) and modern western rpgs. It has a rich universe that tries to differentiates itself from the usual Tolkien bases (though I believe it is still very close to the classics... Replace Darkspawns with evil Orcs, and Archdemon with Sauron... But that is not a turn off at all...)

    The tactical gameplay is very fun, the player is at the center of the story line and the many dialogues make you actually care about the other characters and NPCs. There are several important choices that significantly change the story line. I am curious to know what's Bioware's canon for this game. Last but not least, this Ultimate Edition has all the DLCs and I really enjoyed most of them (Awakening is a respectable +20 hours campaign).

    I will definitely miss the epic tale of my Grey Warden but I am also looking forward to discover the story of Hawke and the Inquisitor (DA2 & 3)! I wish they were available on Steam, but hey, you can't have everything, haha!

    Verdict: A+
    Expand
  86. Dec 3, 2012
    9
    EPIC RPG GAME EVER MADE ON PC
    nothing to say about this game just love it every charecters just made perfectly
    played over 10 times
    never regret playing this game
  87. Sep 24, 2013
    10
    Sencillamente, sublime. Llevo jugándolo desde 2009 (y lo que me queda) y no me canso en absoluto. Totalmente recomendado para los amantes de los rpg's.
  88. Oct 25, 2015
    10
    I modded the game to the absolute maximum via Nexus but aside from that the character interactions (including the romances) and weight of decisions along with the meaningful, tactical combat made this game an instant classic for me.
  89. Feb 2, 2015
    9
    I am not the biggest fan of BioWare's combat systems, because with them I can hardly catch the perfect balance between real-time and take-turn. Also, the item system and interface is always a little bit tedious. Both are all well enough, though, but since I really think that gameplay is crucial, I can give this game only a 9 - but a fully deserved rating, thanks to its superior capabilityI am not the biggest fan of BioWare's combat systems, because with them I can hardly catch the perfect balance between real-time and take-turn. Also, the item system and interface is always a little bit tedious. Both are all well enough, though, but since I really think that gameplay is crucial, I can give this game only a 9 - but a fully deserved rating, thanks to its superior capability to immerse me into the world and it's characters. It's classy and entertaining - IF you like to spend hours in dialogs, like I do :) Expand
  90. Mar 11, 2011
    10
    Best fantasy based RPG I've ever played. Original and graphically pleasing. The only way they could have made it better is if the player character was voiced for every playable race and gender.
  91. Nov 15, 2011
    10
    Not a perfect game, but a thoroughly engrossing and utterly enjoyable adventure. The best top-down RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. If they improved on this formula, we could be looking at one of the best games of all time. But they didn't. Accordingly, the worst part about this game is how disappointing its sequel is.
  92. Nov 2, 2012
    10
    In my opinion the last game where Bioware was allowed to be Bioware. Before they started their downhill race into mediocrity. When I first played it I couldn't stop for months on end. The game offered everything I expect from an RPG. Character interaction, diversity, a gripping - though not original - story and romances. The graphics have aged, but aside from the lack of eye candy, it's aIn my opinion the last game where Bioware was allowed to be Bioware. Before they started their downhill race into mediocrity. When I first played it I couldn't stop for months on end. The game offered everything I expect from an RPG. Character interaction, diversity, a gripping - though not original - story and romances. The graphics have aged, but aside from the lack of eye candy, it's a must for everyone liking it a little deeper than hack and slash. Expand
  93. Apr 28, 2013
    9
    An argument can be made that dragon age origins does nothing new. All the things that are in this game have been done before, right? So why play it?

    Because it does those things right! Bioware successfully replaces the Dnd world with a world created by their own writers. The overarching plot is simple (an evil force that soughts to destroy everything), but has been done very well.
    An argument can be made that dragon age origins does nothing new. All the things that are in this game have been done before, right? So why play it?

    Because it does those things right! Bioware successfully replaces the Dnd world with a world created by their own writers. The overarching plot is simple (an evil force that soughts to destroy everything), but has been done very well. Combat has been refined from baldur's gate/icewind dale series. Choice system is good (not great), etc.. But what this game does primarily well is :

    A) Content! Loads of rpgs have lots of contents. But DA:O makes that content interesting TILL THE END. At no point do you feel bored and exhausted.

    B) Characters! They really stand out and you will remember them even after you have played the game. Each of them has their own motivations for why they are in your team. Again, this has been done before, but DA:O does this all most better than all the other rpgs (atleast wrpgs :P)

    For me, Dragon Age Origins wasn't a game. It was an experience
    Expand
  94. Mar 11, 2011
    9
    replaying this game right now, to get the taste of the taste of the decidedly inferior sequel out of my mouth. looking over my previous saves, apparently i spent well over three hundred hours playing. numerous characters, every ending in the book. still just a great game in every way, and even more glaringly obvious what's been lost when you compare it to DA2.
  95. Mar 16, 2011
    9
    A script and dialogue to rival Planescape: Torment. That's the highest praise I could ever give a game. Play it through and be prepared to be engrossed, captivated, and moved in equal measure. As far as a sidenote in terms of gameplay, its rather micro-managed combat can take a bit of getting used to, but is ultimately rewarding and challenging. Looks great, plays great, reads evenA script and dialogue to rival Planescape: Torment. That's the highest praise I could ever give a game. Play it through and be prepared to be engrossed, captivated, and moved in equal measure. As far as a sidenote in terms of gameplay, its rather micro-managed combat can take a bit of getting used to, but is ultimately rewarding and challenging. Looks great, plays great, reads even better. Utterly superb. Expand
  96. Jan 15, 2013
    9
    This game is huge, and you get the feeling that you build your own story with many decisions, starting by how you create your character. Your companions are enjoyable, as well as the feeling of strategy in battles. It looks very good too, but the most important thing is that as a modern RPG, it didn't betray what I expected from it.
  97. Jun 20, 2015
    10
    This is one of my favorite games of all time because, everything is so immersive, so alive, so... I have no idea how to describe it, the combat is a bit boring and very slow, but you can fix that with some mods, the story is amazing and awful, because choices make the story, so it's best to be careful, graphics are ok, your companions are a bit cliche'd but they're great at the same time,This is one of my favorite games of all time because, everything is so immersive, so alive, so... I have no idea how to describe it, the combat is a bit boring and very slow, but you can fix that with some mods, the story is amazing and awful, because choices make the story, so it's best to be careful, graphics are ok, your companions are a bit cliche'd but they're great at the same time, anyways, this game is a masterpiece and a must-own for an RPG fan. Expand
  98. Aug 2, 2012
    10
    It may be cliched with fairly unoriginal characters, but DA:O does almost everything right. The journey is so completely involved and compelling that one can't help but ignore the fact that this is the umpteenth time this story has been told. Giving the player this many options to play it out makes up for the generic villians- a true RPG incarnation if there ever was one. It has thatIt may be cliched with fairly unoriginal characters, but DA:O does almost everything right. The journey is so completely involved and compelling that one can't help but ignore the fact that this is the umpteenth time this story has been told. Giving the player this many options to play it out makes up for the generic villians- a true RPG incarnation if there ever was one. It has that "epic" feel to it that helps overcome what problems it has, in my experience matched only by Skyrim. The Ultimate Edition is a superb value, and even someone who is usually very averse to fantasy games like myself fell in love with Dragon Age. I highly recommend it. Expand
  99. May 9, 2016
    10
    Capturing that old Baldur’s Gate feel was goal number one for Dragon Age, and it comes pretty close. Ferelden evokes much of the Forgotten Realms without feeling like a rehash, and your relationship with your team has that old BioWare magic. The darkspawn feel like the kind of world-consuming threat that demands our attention, even if most of them are faceless hunks of evil for us to cutCapturing that old Baldur’s Gate feel was goal number one for Dragon Age, and it comes pretty close. Ferelden evokes much of the Forgotten Realms without feeling like a rehash, and your relationship with your team has that old BioWare magic. The darkspawn feel like the kind of world-consuming threat that demands our attention, even if most of them are faceless hunks of evil for us to cut down. I love how Dragon Age treats magic in its world, in particular the quests that force you to choose how to best handle abominations, the result of a renegade mage succombing to demonic possession.

    But it’s the combat that feels most familiar, and most fun: the satisfying tactical depth of pausing your combat, issuing orders, and reacting to the results works like a modern Infinity Engine game should. It’s sad that BioWare will never make an RPG like this again-Dragon Age 2 was too streamlined, and Inquisition’s moving toward a more open world- so in many ways, this is the last hurrah for the old BioWare, and a fitting end for its classic design.
    Expand
  100. Jul 12, 2011
    9
    BioWare is one of few studios I trust. Why? This game is why; with a great story line, a wonderful gameplay mechanics and an overall beautiful looking game. Dragon Age: Origins is the reason why I spent an entire summer vacation in front of my computer! I invite everyone to share the epic-ness that is, Dragon Age: Origins!
Metascore
91

Universal acclaim - based on 67 Critics

Critic score distribution:
  1. Positive: 66 out of 67
  2. Negative: 0 out of 67
  1. If you're into rpgs, or rather if you love roleplaying in general, there's really no need to waste time reading any reviews of this game. The same goes if you regard games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 and the Baldurs Gate-series among the best computer games ever made. Because this game is everything a person like you look for in a game, and so much more. Be aware though, Dragon Age: Origins is not a revolution of the genre, rather it is an evolution, where Bioware has refined everything that made them into a formula as close to perfection as possible. Without a doubt one of the strongest Game of the year-candidates so far this year and a game we will remember with warm feelings many years to come.
  2. PC Gamer
    92
    An outstanding story-driven RPG with fantastic writing, RPG depth and tough tactical combat. It's BioWare's best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. [Holiday 2009, p.38]
  3. Dragon Age Origins will keep you in front of your computer for hours! Graphics, sounds and the controls couldn’t be much better!