8.5

1. Apr 2, 2011
    This is probably one of the best RPG's i've played. The Origins stories and multiple endings really add to the replayability, as if you don't get enough entertainment and playtime in one playthrough. The combat system is exciting, and i like the tactical element.
    Overall a fantastic game.
  2. Sep 14, 2010
    The game introduced old school RPG to this modern day when lots of teenager play FPS and other action oriented games. Despite of the trend, the game managed to score high on many review site and that is big achievement for Bioware. It is a shame that DA:O scored lower than Mass Effect though. Even though they are both great, they have same amount of flaws. I guess its because ME2 is more about action and not strategy and roleplaying. For those who admire traditional RPGs in the past, this game is for you. Expand
  3. Jul 20, 2011
    This is the ultimate D&D experience and successor to Baldurs Gate; the game IMHO is flawless. The element that impressed me the most is the LOVE and disproportionate time that went into the design of this game, which includes the artwork, conversations and choice trees along the plot. Even the monster battle tactics and animations were varied, rich and awesome.

The designers did not
    simply place cookie cutter dungeon walls that all look the same here and there, or cheap out on voice acting. No, the did the exact opposite. Every room looks lovingly designed to be slightly different. In a warehouse? Each room, has a different seemingly real world appearance that is different from one another. Ditto with the Dwarven caverns, and human castles, etc. Each character has a distinct personality. Does the thief use a different sword animation when she backstabs? you bet! And it looks pointy and deadly! Does the golem rock the ground simply by walking alongside you? Yes, nice touch. When a spider overwhelms your character and feasts on your prone body does it look disgusting and horrifying. Yup. Characters have different conversations with each other depending on who is in your party AND what you have accomplished in the plot and your choices. Your choices have a real impact on your game. You can even KILL some of the people that would have joined your party otherwise. It is truly mind boggling how many different plot twists there are depending on your started with (hence the origins) and what you do, and how you choose to do it. And, I know many of you are not big fans of cinematic sequences here, but the acting is really good - one scene, in a human castle, potentially was brutally heart wrenching, depending on how you chose to solve the issue.

Others here, no doubt covered the controls, the plot, etc. I liked it all, honestly, But the real point is that at a time when designers push products out the door that all look the same and bang for the buck, you KNOW they spent far far more time than they had to, to make a good game here.
  4. Oct 16, 2010
    This is a great game. First the interface is easy to grasp and intuitive. Second, the combat is enjoyable for those who are into more than just hack and slash. The story is very good, but as with all RPGs that only lasts the first play through. The romance aspect continued to be intriguing for many plays. I have done guy on girl, girl on girl, and both in the same play (but you have to choose). Three complaints. One is that after the first play it would be great if the dialogue could be bypassed. I use the escape key but it would be nicer if it could be bypassed even faster. Second, the "treasure" just does not measure up as you move up. Often times you are just picking up junk. Alternately, get rid of the pack limit so we don't have to chose. Also, change the loot function so we can just take everything at once. The multiple and egregious clicking does not add anything to the game. Those are minor flaws and they often exist in the best games. This is a best game. You will get how to play this game right away and you will enjoy it through the end. Expand
  5. Oct 21, 2010
    The best. Ever. Sure, game preference is entirely subjective, but I cant help but feel that the negative review scores this game received were provided by people who never actually played the game. From the start, it's clear that the world of Thedas is an epic place, with conflict, nuances, and thousands of years of history. Likely you disagree, but don't believe the gamers giving this game a poor score. Beyond being a sublime game, dragon age origins pushes the boundaries of emotion, choice, and freedom within gaming. DAO doesn't simply faithfully receive Baldur's Gate II's mantle of best game out there, it rips that mante from BG2's cold, dead hands, then uses it as a weapon to single handedly enslave every other game in existence. Expand
  6. Nov 1, 2010
    I loved this game, same style gameplay as KOTOR. The combat was fun to watch, and I really was able to get into the storyline. The dialogue was very well done IMHO. This was one of my favorite games now, and will always have a spot on my hard drive (except for alot of the DLC, most of it was done very poorly)
  7. Nov 2, 2010
    This is one of my favorite games. Extremely interesting story, with a lot of replayability. I ripped through it, and then instantly started again, one of the only times I have done that on any game.
  8. Nov 21, 2010
    This is an excellent game. Lots of fun over many, many hours. I've played many RPGs and I think this is as good as they come. The characters have distinct personalities and interact with each other in interesting ways. The game world is absorbing and fun to explore. The combat system is excellent for those like me who enjoy managing my character's actions for best effect.
  9. Dec 23, 2010
    Firstly this is the best fantasy RPG ever released, it has its problems but none of them take away from its epicness.

Gameplay
    The gameplay, which is instantly familiar to anyone who has played Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic which itself it another Bioware wonder, is based around a team of 4 controlled in a semi real time manner, meaning the game is based of a background clock
    which is sometimes refered to as ticks, so for instance your character may swing there weapon every 4 ticks. you choose one of 3 classes which each have the own starting story to expllain how they got the start of the game. the biggest complaint i have seen is that your ai partners are sometimes a bit slow, however there is a option to give them custom tactics and set parameters for activating moves, changing targets, when to use items etc. Some people who clearly missed the point say that bioware just couldnt be bothered to script the ai itself, where as i say that they have given the ai the ability to the basics of there build such as a healer healing but they have also constructed a command input system that will allow you to set up a custom team just as you like. if u cant be bothered with this ai is perfectly capable. The gameplay is smooth and easy to maintain control of with a zoom feature from over the shoulder to a battlefield view, which is this kind of game is possible the most useful feature ever i cannot praise the zoom featue enough. But should the combat get out of hand u can just hit space and pause the game give your team the commands to help tip the balance and then unpause as you watch your actions lead your team to victory ( lol i sound like a roman general/nerd). When your not fighting you will be talking to NPC's or exploring, your repsonce is not spoken instead you select it from a list of responses, but all major and some non major characters have full diologue in other words the only things you have to read are a few lines at most. The characters are voiced beautifully and the actors give some amazing performances worthy of any voice over movie. Should be the reading type then you can hunt for entries to the codex which is basically a history of dragon age book, and will tell u all about the extensive backstory and lore of the game.

Graphics Well what can i say but WOW, i have a high end gaming machine hooked up to a 32 inch Hd-TV and the game looks absolutly amazing, to anyone with a good pc ignore the console versions of this game its much better on with added depth from the modding community but more on that later. The characters both major and non major look stunning., with great facial animations and movement. In combat all enemies look stunning and without spoiling anything some of the early cinematics are just jaw droppingly good. The animations in general are top notch with anything from swing a sword to waving goodbuy looking awesom. My personal faveorite part though are called death animations and these are basically random when fighting most enemies with a few exeptions and your character will kill the target in some sort of cool way, especially on the bigger monsters/creatures you fight they are a joy to watch. Linear Vs non linear This game is not fully open ended, such as fallout 3 or the eldar scrolls oblivion, but i have never had a problem with scripted games. This game gives the impression of a go any where do anything which is my opinion is harder to do than a big game world full of trees. All it means is that the bits that you see are beautiful to behold the dwarven cities being right up my street. At the game time though the game is no so linear as to force a player down a path and there are many to choose from esepcially when choosing to help/kill weather to be good/evil etc.

The modding community
    2 words "amazingly epic", so many well done mods out and a great community to ask for help should you need it. The modders on sites like dragon age nexus are masters of the craft and should be hired this second by a company such as bioware. Bioware themselves are pretty clever giving an easy way to install/remove mods from your game. Conclusion
    Going into this game i was not sure as i am not the biggest fan or these kinds of combat systems but i have eaten my words with my foot in my mouth, it blew me away. Not once during this game have i ever felt stressed. I have enjoyed every minuite of playing this game, and being a game with 50 hours+ in one play though and having completed the game around 9 times (yes im sad but it should tell u how good it is lol ), it is alot of time. I know i said at the start of this review there are bad points and well erm i suppose i should mention one, erm............ errrrrrrrr..................hmmmmm well i cant think of any :P oh yeah it consumed a lot of my time lol. i would have mentioned the story in detail but no enough words, so i will simply say that which ever way you take the story its epic.
  10. Jan 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great and fabulous game! I have played it at least 3 times, doing all possible quests, always as a mage... i love being a mage. But now i'm playing as a human noble, and it is fantastic!!! i have all dls'c and awakaning has sucha nostalgic feeling, makes em get deeply evolved and missing the original game!!! i realy got evolved and touched by the game story and gameplay is marvelous!!! nice graphics... the only problem is that the main character should speak like in mass effect!! well, have fun, it's realy worth the try!! Expand
  11. Jan 11, 2011
    Absolutely the finest single-player RPG in the history of the genre from the groundbreaking combat to the intense and richly detailed storyline. Every instant of the game is skillfully voice acted by professional actors, with several characters voiced by major celebrities.Although the combatants in your party are already skillfully scripted with advanced AI, you can dip into their tactics and lay out in very fine detail what you wish them do in a variety of situations, allowing you to fully customize their behavior. It was sleek, streamlined, good looking, hyper-detailed and a thoroughly enjoyable romp through over 100 hours of gameplay per playthrough. a big 10 from me. Expand
  12. Feb 17, 2011
    Since Baldur's Gate and NeverWinter Night ... I was waiting for a worthy successor.
    When i ordered Dragon Age first time, i was a little bit impatient. When i got the game, i was like a child.
    The game mechanics themselves aren't really innovating, graphisms are not wonderfull, but ambiance, in game scenario, different possibilities, choices, and endings are really greats.
    To shorten my
    critic, i just can say that this game is one of my favorites.
    I'm waiting impatiently Dragon Age 2 !
  13. Feb 23, 2011
    +Good Challenge
    +Good Character creation
    +Much diversity
    +Very Original

-Might be Hard for Inexperienced gamers.
  14. Feb 25, 2011
    Awesome game, one of the few I have logged over 40hours in. 120 and counting. Love the combat system. People have complained about the AI but that is what the tactics menu is for. Being able to pause game and micro manage everything is one of the best parts though!
  15. Mar 8, 2011
    One of the greatest RPG's ever made. I'm playing it a 2nd time around and it gets even more enjoyable after you've played it through once, believe it or not.
  16. Mar 9, 2011
    A formidable juggernaut of the RPG world, an instant classic. The story has well over 100 hours of gameplay, lore and side-quests alongside a believably written cast featuring Kate Mulgrew and Claudia Black lending their voices as the witches of the wilds. (Also, it is unusual that a lot of the 0 reviews are actually for the sequel, Dragon Age 2, maybe in their blind rage these people are just reviewing anything with Dragon Age in the title and giving it a 0?) Expand
  17. Mar 9, 2011
    I'd give this a 9, but there are too many 0's from people who just don't like RPGs, and don't like tactical combat. This is an RPG with tactical combat, and a story. Would you rate a lamp as zero because it's not a blender? That's absurd. If you want to run around and shoot things, play something else. There's nothing wrong with games like that. Yes, you definitely cannot trust the AI to control your companions effectively on higher difficulties. I pause repeatedly during combat to give each minion a command, so that the timing of all spells and other actions is right. The thought of having to aim at things in real time and get good at reacting to on-screen events with well-timed and -placed mouse clicks -- not interested. It may not look as good as Oblivion or whatever (never played), but it's way the hell better than NWN2, the previous title I played. Not every choice affects outcome, but when the game ends, you will get to read what became of the different characters, towns, etc. The characters are rich, though interaction with them through conversation is by no means necessary. I could see where people would give it a point or two lower because the graphics aren't as good as X or the AI isn't as good as Y, but it's very good at what it purports to be, and any reviews you read that rank this game below about 7 are unjustified and misguided. Expand
  18. Mar 10, 2011
    I was inspired to visit this site after witnessing the absolute mockery that is DA2. What the hell happened? As soon as I got halfway through the ridiculous demo, I immediately started a new DA:O campaign. =) You know the old saying, you never realize what you've lost til it's gone. Well, the multi-character party, tactical combat-based, story-driven RPG is gone. I don't know how many decision trees I have left in DA:O, but they're gonna have to last me until the rightful successor to DA:O comes along. Expand
  19. Mar 11, 2011
    Best fantasy based RPG I've ever played. Original and graphically pleasing. The only way they could have made it better is if the player character was voiced for every playable race and gender.
  20. Dec 24, 2013
    The game really looks and shocking still, even after its release it very fun to play, and want to hope that these games will be in the future. This Masterpiece!
  21. Jan 20, 2012
    As time goes on, I look back with more and more fond memories of Dragon Age: Origins. When I first played the game, I was lukewarm to it. I thought it was decent, but too much of an old-school RPG. But as I played the game more, and after I beat it the second time, I realized that Dragon Age may be one of the finest RPGs ever created. The same warm feelings I have for classic RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights are now applying to Dragon Age as well. Bioware's singular ability to create a world and populate it with interesting characters, events, and locations is on full display. It's such a shame that Dragon Age 2 was a disappointment. Hopefully DA3 will live up to this amazing game. Until then, I shall be playing this game over and over, and forgetting that DA2 even exists. Expand
  22. Mar 14, 2011
    Now since I restarted DAO cause of DA2. I look over everything I see. Story, detail, graphics, music, game play and Reply value.

The Story: It is amazing for this game. Well thought and well Detailed. Spread over the whole map. The main story line is amazing it drags you in from the get go. Straight to the end of the game. The side quests are great to again all over the map. Certainly
    gives you that extra bit to work on even if it only gives a little extra bit of game play. Even with character stories to. Some meld together. Even the interaction talks while wondering about. It all works together perfectly.

The Detail: Tones in my book. Just perfect for a long RPG. Which is what it should be. Certainly a lot to read to give you more detail and draw you into the game world. Which it should. Cause that moment you start to play it should drag you in which it dose with this. Many might say that tones of reading is boring. But this is always a key point to good RPG. No way you could have some one just speak it all out. Some might say that would be better some would say not. Hence why having both in it. Is much better. The detailed conversations from the characters and npc's down to the codex notes which give you information.

The Graphics: Perfect and still now perfect in my books for an RPG like this one. The Characters are life like, even in the cinematic's. The towns and Cities are well detailed and work with the time period of the game. The npc's and even the animals. The darkness in it work even well better for game and story. Some might say it dose not. But I beg to differ.

The Music: It is great. It enhances the game amazingly, drawing you into the game even more. So much work put into it, It is certainly one of the things I love in this game. Nothing more I can say.

The Reply Value: The reply value of this game. Is great to reply as the other classes certainly makes it worth while indeed. Even go different ways with them in the sense of character. Yes there is mods out there you can use to further enhance that. But on just the game it is perfect. It is certainly one game I will reply many times out of my large and I use that loosely game collection.

Overall: This game is one all you RPG players should certainly have. Graphics, story, Detail. Everything works perfectly for this game. I give this 100% and 10/10
  23. Dec 17, 2011
    An absolutely engrossing RPG with compelling companions, huge strategic battles and a memorable (if slightly generic) background story. I played this one through non-stop over the course of a few days. It was difficult to tear myself away. And I went back and played it a few more times through as different classes and genders. I enjoyed each play-through thoroughly. There are some minor annoyances such as shuffling during fights and the many 'fetch' quests that plague most RPGs but the story more than makes up for it along with a beautiful world and unforgettable companions. Epic and engrossing. Expand
  24. Mar 17, 2011
    Simply one of the best RPG i ever played. A real mature story, with real choices which guides your epic adventure. The relations with companions are really fantastics, and romance give a funny touch (I will never forget Morigan ;) ) . Game-play and characteristic of each companion could be configured. Sure the world isn't open than Oblivion but the rest give a real immersive game.
  25. Mar 25, 2011
    The spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate. I didn't play Baldur's Gate so I can't comment on that one. But I can say that it's worthy to be the successor of the great Knights of the Old Republic. The RPG and combat elements are the same as KOTOR's (damn good). The story easily matches the story of KOTOR too. The characters are well-developed and (unlike newer WoW releases) It offers really big challenges (Soloing is the most popular) so unlike at KOTOR you can get into some really big poop. It's what we excepted from Bioware, or maybe even more... Expand
  26. Mar 16, 2012
    Dragon Age Origins is the best Rpg game that i have ever played, and i have played many rpgs like : gothic,diablo,elder scrolls,dungeon siege,mass effect,fallout and many more, but none of them made me lose track of time or being so fascinated by the world which they delivered like Dragon Age Origins. This game is my most favorite game and i can't even explain of how amazing this game is. The story is amazing one of the best which i experienced, the gameplay is very unique and i guess some will not like the gameplay but for me the gameplay was perfect, character are funny,amusing,interesting and very easy to like, the graphic for me is very beautiful and i didn't encounter any bugs or any kind of technical issue. All the rpg elements like customization,dialogue,exploration,side missions,items and inventory,skills,abilities,experience and levels all of that is executed perfectly. In the end the only thing i can say about Dragon Age Origins that this is the best game i have ever played in my life Expand
  27. Mar 22, 2011
    I found the artwork absolutely gorgeous, and the interface extremely slick. Some things were 'streamlined' compared to the first, but I much preferred the new interface. Combat was still challenging and required strategic placement and use of skills - though I did miss friendly fire on Hard mode. I loved the new ability trees and crafting mechanics, which didn't feel like a chore.

But what I really play Dragon Age for is the story. This one did not disappoint. It felt a bit slow at the start, since Act I is mostly building up your character through various tasks without really being able to see where it is going. The threads fairly quickly begin to weave together though, into very satisfying second and third acts. The story isn't quite as epic as the first one, but I think a more personal story is actually the better choice here, rather than a "save the world again" rehash. My character went through moments of tragic loss, impossible moral dilemmas, and a shocking betrayal.

The new companions can give the old ones a run for their money, and having a protagonist that isn't silent is a big improvement in character interaction. Secondary characters are extremely well done; the Arishok was a particular favourite.
  28. Mar 28, 2011
    This game is the best rpg since baldur,s gate, the story is great, also graphics are great, this game has no bad sides, the best part of game is that you can choose how you want to start the game.
  29. Feb 14, 2012
    One of the best isometric role playing games ever made. Deep, intricate, fantastic storytelling - serviceable combat, and epic in length. This game surprises, thrills, and engages. It even becomes emotional and powerful throughout it's very long campaign. The world is not as inventive or quirky as planescape torment, however it's pacing is fantastic for a game of this type.
  30. Mar 29, 2011
    Probably the best traditional pc role playing game of the decade, with some great characters and a nice setting. Battle system was fine, and while I would have appreciated to have less dlcs and more contents in the initial package the game is still up there with the best.
  31. Jul 8, 2011
    This is my favourite RPG of this generation. Incredible and memorable characters (I adore the interactions between some of them, especially between Morrigan and the rest of the team) , an immersing and coherent fiction world, a very well constructed narration with a lot of options to choose, an interesting combat system, and a lot of other virtues. It's really the successor of Baldur's Gate, adapted to nowadays (more cinematics, a little more agile combat system,...). I've played all the origins stories, and i have repeated some of them, the replayability is so high!!! If only the "sequel" had been the half of it... Expand
  32. Apr 19, 2011
    One of the great RPG, that's real. nothing much to complain about the game: The combat, the gameplay, the character, the story, quest, items...all is great. The things I have to complain myself is I've played this game so late! Maybe many people criticize about its difficulty: It is very hard on the hard and nightmare mode, I agree, but I enjoy the challenge :). The things make the game is not so perfect is about the main character: except the small dialogues in the gameplay, they doesn't speak dialogue option! Overall, the game that worth to waste money that every gamer should have in their collection. 10 points!!! Expand
  33. Apr 28, 2011
    This is the best RPG of the last 3 years at least, and is a truly epic and inspiring adventure. There is so much depth to this game its ridiculous - obviously TONS of game design went into it. I bought this after purchasing DA2 and realizing it was terrible, and seeing reviews of this game were much different. This is a far superior game to DA2.
    In any case - this is awesome, and the
    "Ultimate" edition is now only like $40. thats like 200 hrs of gameplay for $40. sweet. Expand
  34. May 2, 2011
    I hated this game when I first started playing it, the opening story seemed completely fake, and unconsuming. After getting into the game, I could not help myself but to download and complete every DLC, and am halfway through Awakening. I fell in love with the characters and the world, and if I make a mistake in a quest, where I accidentally choose the evil option, I am tormented by "not saving" before making the choice!

I can honestly say that the game gets better and better as you play it, and it is definitely worth spending some time to get hooked.
  35. Apr 5, 2013
    I absolutely loved this game, I spent over 1200 hours playing it and played all the origins possible. I also tried out loads of the user created mods and they added even more enjoyment. I bought all the dlc which was a bit 'meh' compared to the actual game and mods.
    Im going to give this game a 10 cause I still love going back for my DAO fix. Love the happy ending too. Didnt like the
    gross armours for women and mages but can't have everything) Expand
  36. May 17, 2011
    Amazing game, one of the best RPG'S ever made, incredible deep story and dialogues, perfect gameplay, and wonderfull voice acting . Totally recommend for everyone and a must have if you are a RPG fan, in conclusion a long and incredibly satisfiying game.
  37. Aug 10, 2011
    I just can't believe people giving this anywhere BELOW 5. I can understand that some people might not enjoy the game, but giving it anything below a 5 is not being objective in any sense of the word. That is taking something that is great and trying to put it in the mud. I really hope that bioware did not read some of the red-score comments from this page when they made DA 2, although it does seem like they did. The result? A far worse game.

At any rate, I bought the collectors edition for this game. Still, 2 years after, I can't remember buying a collectors edition and getting that much value for my money (except for buying the original BG 2, 200 hrs for 50 euro? They don't make games like that anymore). When I saw the metal box I just knew I had something special in my hands. I opened it and found the cloth map of ferelden, nice touch indeed. Definitely value for money in the finish of this product.

Now, 2 years after, I am reinstalling the game. Last spring I had a while where I couldn't get myself to play RPG's, I was so tired of them. Now I got back into it, playing The Witcher 2 (awesome game so far) and Mass Effect 2, I decided to make a fresh DA: O install. Hopefully this is a wise choice with regards to DA 3 (whenever they announce it), hopefully as in I hope DA 3 will be more along the lines of DA: O than DA: II.
    I remember reading about Dragon Age back in its infancy, and I must say that compared to the hype I got from reading about it back then, and then to seeing the final product, I was a bit disappointed. I soon got over that disappointment I remember. I recall awesome voice acting, great characters, and a WANT to play this game. I didn't want to stop. I rarely replay games, for me I never look at the replayability of a game, because it doesn't apply. However some games deserve more than one play through. Baldurs Gate 2 (completed twice, playing through it a third time very slowly these days), Mass Effect 2 (I have completed it twice and am playing through it on 4-5 chars haha), Dragon Age: Origins (going for a rogue this time, or a non-arcane-warrior mage), and The Witcher 2. To me these games are all classics, there is no dicussion, if you ask me all these games should be in any gamer and nongamers collection. I go by the feel of a game, and DA: O is awesome, there is a reason I am installing it again as we speak...
  38. Jul 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story was brilliant and highly immersive. This game truly played on my emotions, from the tragic to the comic. The power struggle in my warden's relationship with Morrigan reminded me of real-life. Alistair's social ineptitude made me laugh. When I played a female warden and romanced him I acquired a previously unknown-to-me rapport with women in general. The voice actors were brilliant. The dramatic events were staged with cinematographic insight. The music was inspiring. The game isn't perfect, and the combat tended to degenerate into freeze and smash (cone of cold beats everything), but I don't play these games for the combat and overall this is what RPGs should be. (Too bad about the turd of a sequel...) Expand
  39. Jun 11, 2011
    With Dragon Age Origins Bioware showed quite well that when it comes to telling a story and putting you at the head of it, their are still the best around. Someone could complain that the interface is not perfect, the graphics now always top level, the battles somewhat repetitive after a while. But in the end what makes the game great is that you have a run through a wonderful story while meeting truly memorable characters which will hold a place in your heart all along those from your favourite movies and books. And this is something which largely compensate for every minor flaw, making it rather irrelevant... Expand
  40. Jun 12, 2011
    A beautiful game that held my attention throughout, made me emotional at times (ranging from fear, to genuine anger, to affection, to crushing sadness - you name it) and ended wonderfully. When I finished it, I had no choice but to replay it. And I've replayed it many times - it has marvellous replay value. It's not perfect, no. But it's a damn good game. Anyone who likes RPGs, or even just a good story, should play this. Okay, yes, it may have quite a generic 'gather-an-army-and-save-the-world-from-the-big-bad' plotline, but it's the sub-plots and the choices and the characters that make it so rich. Expand
  41. Jun 20, 2011
    Player through this game 6 times and found something new each time. Read both books, The Stolen Thrown and The Calling. Great story telling and attention to detail; truly epic.
  42. May 7, 2012
    As a rule, I don't give games, movies, etc. a rating above a 9, no matter how much I may enjoy them. With Dragon Age Origins, I can honestly say it is the best game I have ever, and probably will ever play. I have played it through at least a half dozen times and am still not nearly done. If you never buy another game again, buy DA:O. The basic one alone has better characters, plot line and immersion than every other game I've ever played combined. Expand
  43. Jul 1, 2011
    Awesome game, I highly recommend it! Just completed it and I want to start again. I can honestly say I haven't played such great RPG for very long time. Grab this masterpiece.
  44. Jul 4, 2011
    One of the best RPG's released in a decade. The story is riveting and deep, the characters are believable and fun to interact with. The options in every situation that affect the outcome of the game are thoughtful and well implemented.
  45. Jul 17, 2011
    After over 500 hours of playing this game, I have to say that this is probably one of my all time most favorite games ever. I especially loved the story, the battle structure and the dialogue. The dialogue/conversations are awesome, I have never laughed or cried so much for just one thing be it game, movie or book. You get so immersed in the story and the companions that they almost seems real. I adored the romance aspect of it, it was such an interesting way to affect gameplay. I only have one small complaint-the item juggling got old after a while. Yes, the party chest was handy but I got pretty tired of constantly tromping up there to see if the items I'd just won were better than what I already had stored away. That compared to the awesomeness of the rest of the game though, it's hardly worth mentioning. Expand
  46. Jul 5, 2012
    Brilliant game. The person who complained about the AI is playing the wrong type of game. You aren't supposed to stand still and watch your players fight. You are supposed to think and work out how to use your team's mix of skills, and tell them what to do. It works very well: in hard battles you can keep pausing to keep track of everything going on and give new instructions. In easy battles you can give a few commands and let it play out. The really great thing about the game is the moral dilemmas. Time and again I was suprised that a quest to go and beat someone up turned into an interesting conversation where I became sympathetic to them and had to think to decide what to do. This is gaming at its very best. Expand
  47. Jul 23, 2011
    Well, Dragon age: Origins isn't a game for everyone because you have to invest a lot of time to get the best out of it but that doesn't mean it's not good. Quite opposite, in my opinion it is the best RPG ever made (RPG is my favourite genre and i played a LOT of RPGs) with its great, nonlinear story, clever and challenging combat system, witty writing, huge and emersive world and so on and so forth... Expand
  48. Jul 28, 2011
    (10.0)Almost a perfect game. Though combat needs to be a little more dynamic, story, characters, depth, perfect.
    It's epic and absolutely worth buying, it has like 50-60 hours long, one of the best games of the last 4, 5 years for sure.
  49. May 25, 2012
    One of my favorite games of all time, with amazing depth and story. I've revisited it a couple of times with some of the mods created by the community to keep it fresh. (Thanks for "Skip the Fade" mod!) The voice acting and storytelling are truly top-notch, and I actually cared for the characters. It's unfortunate that DA2 was such a letdown, being the Phantom Menace to DA:O's Empire Strikes Back that leaves a taint. Expand
  50. Jul 29, 2011
    Dragon age is just a piece of work.It's such a omg i shouldnt stop playing yet but im too tired type of game.Dragon age II is better but da1/origins is great as well i highly recommend it.
  51. Aug 26, 2011
    One of the best rpg's ever! The only downside is that battle can be challenging, but is that really a downside? Playing the elf mage I think has the best storyline. The dialogue/conversations are as realistic as any game i've ever played. great voice acting. Do yourself a favor by getting Origins as opposed to Dragon Age 2 which is the complete opposite.
  52. Nov 6, 2011
    As a fan of RPG games, this game with Baldurs Gate take first place in my RPG list. This game taking your whole mind into this magic world. The story is made perfectly, side quest are interesting, the choices which you are making makes diffrence in the future, there`s everything what good RPG game should have. If you haven`t played it... just DO IT.
  53. Sep 15, 2011
    This is one of my favorite games. I just love almost everything in this game: gameplay, characters, cutscene, graphics, and even control I really liked, well, nothing I can not help myself! =) Another great game from the hardcore BioWare!
  54. Nov 15, 2011
    Not a perfect game, but a thoroughly engrossing and utterly enjoyable adventure. The best top-down RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. If they improved on this formula, we could be looking at one of the best games of all time. But they didn't. Accordingly, the worst part about this game is how disappointing its sequel is.
  55. Mar 12, 2012
    best RPG ive played in a long time, loved everything about it, though it was a tad glitchy, but meh, your so involved in the game u hardly notice, each playthrough takes about 30hours to do fully, and i reckon ive finished the game least 10 times, so deff tonnes of replayability
  56. Oct 30, 2011
    I don't normally like linear and scripted RPG's but this turned out to be very well written and entertaining. The combat was fun and changing the party make up provided refreshingly different play styles. Combat scripting was nice to have but it was even better to have a pause option and micro manage each battle if you wanted to. I really couldn't put this game down until I finished it.
  57. Nov 2, 2013
    Simply one of the best role playing computer games ever made, a fascinating world that sucks you in with superbly realized characters and a great game mechanic. One of Bioware's best, and that's saying something,
  58. Nov 8, 2011
    One of my all-time favorites. This is a shameless D&D style nerdfest of an RPG and I wouldn't have it any other way. The combat is a bit clunky, but it was crafted that way on purpose. The fighting has more of a chessboard feel, really.
  59. May 14, 2012
    in my opinion, this is the best game of all time. I really have nothing else to say, as I should clearly be playing Dragon Age RIGHT ****
  60. Nov 10, 2011
    Could not stop playing it till i beat it 3 or 4 times. I had to see every ending, every corner of the game. it was so immersive. I can't really think of another game that I felt as compelled to play.
  61. Nov 12, 2011
    Amazing game, sadly the follow up, Dragon age 2 was horrible.. : ( I wish they had spent a year or so longer developing the second game and insured that it would be just as good as the first one
  62. Nov 23, 2011
    Excellent RPG, I rank this game up there with the first Neverwinter Nights. It's also cheap enough now where you can pick up the expansion and all the DLC for a reasonable price. Give it a try, I would be very surprised if you come away disappointed.
  63. Jun 7, 2013
    The last great mainstream RPG. Probably Bioware's last great game. It was definitely downhill from here. Lots of replay value, great characters, great dialogue, engaging gameplay. It's a challenging game that makes you stop and think about your tactics and choices in combat, and that's rare these days. You can and will make mistakes developing your characters. Replaying the game is always a gem and you'll usually find new things to notice every time you play through. This game made a big impression on me, and it really illustrated to me just how horrible most video games are because it provided such a high quality experience. A must own, a rental will not do it justice. Also, mod support for the PC is a plus! Expand
  64. Apr 9, 2012
    Epic rpg, great story, great combat, BW hit it out of the park. Its one that you need to think taticly with every member of your squad.One unique feature is the ability to play as one of your companions, additionally as experience yo set the actions off your team to take.
  65. Oct 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dragon Age: Origin thrusts you into a brand new fantasy world, on that borrows from some of the greatest series the fantasy genre has to offer, and blends them into a perfect game. You are a Grey Warden, warriors from all corners of the world, from all races, and all talents, to fight the blight, where thousands of Darkspawn and other horrid monsters serve the Archdemon, and the only ones that can kill an Archdemon; are the Grey Wardens.

Incredible characters and story, make this game personal. All the characters are well thought out, and unique, and all have special abilities. The story is engrossing, and you choose from one of six origin stories: Human Noble, Circle Mage, Dwarven noble, Dwarven commoner, City Elf, and Dalish Elf. All origin stories are different, and effect the way characters treat you.

Gameplay, is for the most part, great. You can choose to be a Warrior, Rogue, or Mage, and all are very different and fun to play.

The graphics, aren't very good. There are mods that make it look better, and it looks fine without mods, but it's not Battlefield 3.

Overall, the story, characters, gameplay, and world make this game a must have. And through multiple playthroughs, the mainquest, sidequests, and deeds, you will spend hundreds of hours on this game.
  66. Jan 9, 2012
    This is the most solid fantasy RPG of the generation, and I loved every minute. It is quite Lord of the Rings (in a good way, if also in a cliched way), and there is not a huge amount of innovation to be found here. Nonetheless, the game world is rich and detailed, voice acting is excellent, companions are interesting for the most part, and combat is addictive and deep. The game is also long, and feels like a genuine epic (unlike, say, Oblivion, which feels oddly empty and soulless at times)........... This game is receiving a 8 from me on consoles, and a 10 on PC, simply because it is very 'click heavy', and is suited for mouse and keyboard over a controller. It's also been optimised for PC. Enjoy the game, ignore the sequel DA:2, and let's hope DA:3 builds on this solid foundation. Highly recommended. Expand
  67. Aug 2, 2012
    It may be cliched with fairly unoriginal characters, but DA:O does almost everything right. The journey is so completely involved and compelling that one can't help but ignore the fact that this is the umpteenth time this story has been told. Giving the player this many options to play it out makes up for the generic villians- a true RPG incarnation if there ever was one. It has that "epic" feel to it that helps overcome what problems it has, in my experience matched only by Skyrim. The Ultimate Edition is a superb value, and even someone who is usually very averse to fantasy games like myself fell in love with Dragon Age. I highly recommend it. Expand
  68. Feb 9, 2012
    Wonderful game, rich, inspired, clever. Deep story abd realistic combat made for an unforgettable experience. A must have for all RPGs fan. Ignore the sequel as its a very inferior product in every aspect.
  69. Apr 17, 2012
    Hands down the best and most true RPG to date. This is/was and always will be, BioWare's best work - the best masterpiece created in video-gaming history, ever... !
  70. Feb 29, 2012
    I picked up Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition during a Gamefly sale, and for $7.49, this has been the best value that I've ever gotten for my gaming dollars. Dragon Age gripped me from the moment that I started playing it, and after over 100 hours of gameplay, I'm still having a blast.

To me, Dragon Age plays a lot like a single player linear-ish MMO, if that makes any sense.
    Because you can set a "casting priority list" for each of your party members, switch characters whenever you want, and issue commands while the game is paused....yeah, I really felt like I was using special mind control powers over a fairly typical MMO party. Once you add in some great character development and dialogue, the kind that BioWare is well known for, along with a gripping story, the result is an RPG classic. Origins is a can't miss game for anyone who loves mages and warriors and rogues and stuff.

Dragon Age isn't a perfect game, as no game is, but for the sake of bumping up the score, I feel compelled to give it a 10 out of 10 (after all, I can't select 9.5, which is what I think it deserves). I'll also mention that the extensive DLC content, as well as the Awakening expansion, just add more of what makes Origins itself so much fun. If you haven't played Origins at all yet, then I definitely would recommend buying the Ultimate Edition.
  71. Mar 23, 2012
    Awesome game is awesome, the combat was a bit slow and your characterr beeing mute is a bit awkward from time to time, but the story and companions is well written.
  72. Jun 15, 2012
    Definitely THE spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate´, and as such, Epic in every respect.
    One could argue that the graphics are not state-of-the-art-or-beyond, but the stories make you forget that in an instant.
  73. Mar 28, 2012
    A perfect ten for me -- Dragon Age: Origins is probably the best game I have ever played, at least since the 1980s; at least as good as Neverwinter Nights if not even better. I don't know a way to put it other than an enormous RPGasm of truly epic proportions that virtually never ends: when you feel you must be reaching the end of the humongous game, you're not even a third into it.

There
    is all the flexibility you expect from an RPG and replay value that is simply ridiculous: you can play the game several times and get truly different stories. The bang for the buck you get from Dragon Age: Origins is simply unheard of in an RPG. By the standards of contemporary games, the graphics are far from impressive. The game is so good it doesn't matter. Expand
  74. Mar 30, 2012
    Easily the best RPG I've played for at least a decade, if not ever. It's like Baldur's Gate all over again without all the glaring deficiencies of the old D&D ruleset. Great story, great characters, good voice acting, and it's a party-based RPG! The biggest downside to the game is that it has to end at some point. Oh, and the AI is a bit daft if left to its own devices. If you're even mildly interested in the premise of the game, you really should play Dragon Age: Origins. I want more of the same please! Expand
  75. Apr 2, 2012
    The last RPG made by Bioware. This game truly worth for "Baldur's Gate's spiritual successor" title. It is hard to understand how Bioware could make a disaster like Dragon Age 2 after this piece of art. Dragon Age: Origins addresses both RPG veterans and newbies. I strongly recommend this game to all gamers.
  76. Apr 2, 2012
    One of the best games that I have played in all my live. It is one of the few ones that you will be able to remember some years later as one exclusive experience. Original, entertaining, long and the most important, exciting. Only a few games will leave you this way.
  77. Dec 10, 2013
    I wrote this review, because of the negative marks and low average score this game got. I mean, 8.5 REALLY This game is true to the baldur's gate inheritance and has amazing scenario, graphics, music, ethical choices, spell and fight system and I got the best thief-assasin character ever... For me it is a clear 10
  78. Apr 20, 2012
    You won't find a better hier for Baldur's Gate. This is a master piece. Don't miss the Ultimate Edition which includes all DLC content and a expansion pack!
  79. Nov 13, 2012
    I never forgot this awesome game. It was one of my best game no contest. I liked it the story ,the deep of interaction with pnj , the system of skill . One bad point , the game was so cheated with a Wiz blood spell just awesome . But one of my best feeling witht Morrow FoT 1 and others beautiful games i forgot XD
  80. Jul 22, 2012
    Best thing about Dragon Age is the Neverwinter/Baldurs feel and gameplay but with its own unique style. Love the story and the characters i agree with some of the other users that their criticsims are off target!!! Would recommend and is among my top 10
  81. Aug 13, 2012
    What this game lacks in originality it makes up for in sheer fun and solid storytelling: this is a game which will make you want to keep playing, and which offers dozens and dozens of hours of entertainment (if you get the Ultimate Edition, which comes with the expansion and several DLC packs, you will easily find 80-100 hours of play). DA:O offers the usual assortment of classes, abilities, weapons, and enemies which you'd expect in an RPG--nothing too original here--but works them together into a package which is easy to learn while offering significant depth for advanced players. Where this game really shines is in its story and characters (which you'd probably expect from a Bioware game). The many companions and other characters are generally well-written and interesting, each with their own secrets, quirks, and personal growth throughout the story. The banter between party members can be downright hysterically funny at times, while at others is offers a more serious look into the relationships between your companions. For those who really care, there is truly a LOT of (mostly-optional) dialogue in this game, which provides the opportunity to further explore the lore of the game, build relationships, and find allies (or enemies!). Moreover, for the truly curious gamer, there is much lore to be discovered in books, etc. throughout the game, providing plenty of background information on all sorts of things.So far I've played through this game three times, and enjoyed every time. While the main story remains the same, DA:O offers significant potential variety: 6 different origin stories, 3 races, 3 classes (each with multiple play-styles), and numerous in-game choices which affect the story. All of this helps keep the game fresh and very replayable: so far I've played it through 3 times (once as each race/class so far), and will certainly play it again in the future. It would be hard to recommend this game enough, so go ahead and give it a try if you have any interest in RPGs! Expand
  82. Aug 22, 2012
    Quite simply one of my favourite games of all time. The characters are memorable, the combat is challenging and reminiscent of Baldur's Gate and the game is very lengthy and full of content, especially if you got the Ultimate Edition like I did that has all the DLC and the expansion pack. The graphics are a little muddy looking but it gave the game a darker tone which is desperately needed in the fantasy game genre *coughcoughFinalFantasycough*. The story can be a little generic with the whole save the world thing but it has many multiple paths and choices to be made. Speaking of choices, the game has TONS of them, even more than Mass Effect I dare say. Your main character not being voiced also allows for role playing. Overall, amazing game and the best Western RPG I've ever played. Expand
  83. Oct 31, 2012
    This game was amazing, I think I got completely lost in the world when I played it, it takes a good while to get into it and get past the first few quests but once you do its amazing and I couldn't stop, the Dialogue is great and the cinematic's are brilliant too, its highly underrated and I assume most people gave up 20 mins into it, I think its a bit weak at the start but as you go on the game gets so much better, I loved the story and interaction, Great Game! Expand
  84. Oct 31, 2012
    Great story line. The characters are very well defined. The play could use a bit of work, but the game is so addictive that, you probably won't care. The comments your party make are very funny. I often change up members just to hear the different interactions.
  85. Nov 2, 2012
    In my opinion the last game where Bioware was allowed to be Bioware. Before they started their downhill race into mediocrity. When I first played it I couldn't stop for months on end. The game offered everything I expect from an RPG. Character interaction, diversity, a gripping - though not original - story and romances. The graphics have aged, but aside from the lack of eye candy, it's a must for everyone liking it a little deeper than hack and slash. Expand
  86. Dec 3, 2012
    EPIC RPG GAME EVER MADE ON PC
    nothing to say about this game just love it every charecters just made perfectly
    played over 10 times
    never regret playing this game
  87. Jun 19, 2013
    Aaaand this is why I love BioWare. Immersive and immense game. Great graphics and effects and a story and characters that are well written and you get invested in. Honestly, these are some of the most memorable characters in gaming memory, in my opinion, and it is so much fun to see the relationships first-hand between all the characters as you're walking around and they talk to each other and react to the environments and missions differently depending on who's with you. Each character had unbelievable depth and, with the excellent voice acting and graphics, make for a very real experience when trying to dig deeper into each character as the story progresses.

Arguably the most immersive RPG game I've played so far. Plus the Origins aspect where you, in a way, craft your own backstory, and how that affects how not only the characters treat you but the options made available to you and how you can progress the game, that is truly magical.

Essentially, one of my all-time favorites and one that I have replayed numerous times (and I still play it even today!) If you haven't played it, and you love RPG games with an incredibly immersive fantasy world with memorable characters and multiple options about how to move the story (and accompanying consequences), this is the game for you.
  88. Jan 31, 2013
    The last dying gasp of the bioware that made KOTOR and Baldurs Gate. Dragon age: origins is the perhaps the best RPG of the decade (and this coming from a mass effect 1 fan). This game once again proves that next to story quality: graphics mean nothing. And damn the story delivers! I haven`t seen writing this superb since KOTORs 1 and 2.

Here`s my recomendation: If you like story
    oriented, well written RPGs that require a little of your patience: Dragon age origins is the game for you. Expand
  89. Feb 24, 2013
    A Masterpiece game, that is made by a great company in Bioware. Story is always interesting, allowing you to pick your own character race and each one has their own back story. Like playing as a Human Noble, City Elf, Circle Mage, etc. Gameplay is great, with great use of a tactical system and dialogue in-game provides great fun. Graphics are great, with blood and gore. Presentation is like a story book style, and everything is easy to use. Sound in the game is great with amazing atmospheric music, and voice overs are well done. Although, it can be a bit on the low volume, so you might have to crank your volume up more than usual to hear. Also, some DLCs have come out for it to enhance the story even more. Overall, a masterpiece game. I don't remember another RPG like it, maybe except Neverwinter Nights 1. Expand
  90. Feb 19, 2013
    The date is February 20th, 2013 as I write this review. After nearly four years and many amazing titles like Uncharted, Batman Arkham City, Skyrim, Borderlands and Mass Effect, I've yet to experience a game that
    touched me quite as much as Dragon Age: Origins. DAO has the ability to make you think cautiously about every decision you make. In this game, NO decision is black or white, for
    there are always benefits and consequences. The game is riddled with dynamic and interesting characters, guaranteeing that you'll be able to form a party with like-minded teammates, no matter your roleplaying alignment. Speaking of roleplaying, DAO handles that very well too. Each class has the ability to be played in multiple ways, given that the level up trees are very flexible, and you can check ahead of time which skills you will be able to get in your later levels. However, the greatest thing about DAO by far, is the story. As the protagonist, YOU control everything that happens: who wins or loses, who is or is not good or evil, your love interest (heterosexual or homosexual) etc. Bioware is infamous for excellent writing and story, and certainly shows in DAO: one minute, you're on a simple quest, and the next you're attacked by a group of freelance mercenaries who are out to kill you and your friends for God knows why. And even after you kill them, the game finds a way to make interesting: Why were they after you? Who did they work for? Finding out is half the fun, and deciding what to do about it is the other half! In conclusion, DAO is the perfect combination of classic roleplaying, strategic combat, a well written and non-linear story, and characters so charming and endearing that you'll forget they don't really exist! Dragon Age: Origins has been since its release, and will be forever, my favorite game of all time. Now do yourself a solid, and go play this game! Expand
  91. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    A great game. Very immersing story, believable world, interesting NPCs, fun and demanding combat. You could replay it with a new class (as i did) and still game was great. Highly recommended.
  92. Apr 2, 2013
    This is by far the best party-based RPG of the last 5 years. The fantasy setting of this game might seem generic at first, but the story develops a lot and has its charm. The party members are very well crafted, the dialogue is great, even the secondary quests are pretty interesting. The main thing that makes this game unique for this generation is the combat. It really takes a few hours for the non-hardcore party-based rpg players to get used to it, but it's really well thought and requires a lot of tactics. Every battle seems unique, every character has its weaknesses. Even the inventory is greatly designed, unlike most of the Bioware games (and other rpgs alike). Forget about the hype surrounding the Mass Effect trilogy, this is the game to play from Bioware. Expand
  93. Apr 27, 2013
    Wow, Just wow. This game is quite simply a masterpiece, and i made an account here just to praise it. The story is absolutely riveting. The characters are complex, deep and quite often you may even feel like you're talking to a real person. And for some reason the negative comments have lead me to believe that those people have never actually played the game.
    If you're a fan of RPG's then
    i could not recommend this game enough! Expand
  94. Apr 27, 2013
    Definitely one of my all-time favourite games. It is worth playing for the story alone but the gameplay is flawless and the graphics are first rate. It's a game I've come back to several times over the last few years and I'll no doubt keep playing it for years to come, there's not many other games I can say that about.
  95. May 5, 2013
    Hands down this is the greatest game ever. I love the story, the people in it and the gameplay. It is easy to level up. It is well thought out so the different choices you make actually do make a difference. Love it. Loved 2 cannot wait for 3.
  96. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is a 10/10. A lot better than the sequel. If you don't have it yet, then run to the store and buy it!! This is a must play for all rpg and strategy lovers out there. :D
  97. Jun 17, 2013
    Best RPG of all time. Huge world, fantastic voice acting, interactive, reactive story that takes into account all of your decisions. Great modding community, tons of additional content created for it. Great tactical pausable real-time combat system, with amazing cinematic kill cams. Multiple unique origin stories, you can play as a Dwarf or an Elf and have a completely different game to start. Looong game, lots and lots of content. Each character is very memorable, Morrigan being one of the most memorable video game characters of all time. I can't recommend this game highly enough, especially on PC. Major shout outs to the mods Dragon Age Redesigned and Combat Tweaks. If you do play it, check those out. Expand
  98. Feb 6, 2014
    Started this game as a female dalish elf and it played fine enough, would've given it about an 8/10. After it crashed about an hour and a half in though and hadn't saved (my computer's fault, NOT the game's), I restarted as a male human noble. The story lines are actually different enough it peaked my interest to keep going. Turned into a game that jus got better and better. Recommend this off the charts. Expand
  99. Aug 14, 2013
    The problem with Dragon Age is that it ruins any future RPG experience. Once you finish it, every new RPG you play will be held up to DA:O in comparison and likely won't come close. This vast, immersive and fantastical world is full of everything you want from an RPG experience. One of the things I liked the most was the party-based combat system. You really have to think through each battle carefully and approach them tactically, not just picking your favourite weapon and hacking through as fast as you can. I really hope DA:Inquisition is similar in interface/style, because I'm worried I'll never get to play a game like this again. Expand

1. If you're into rpgs, or rather if you love roleplaying in general, there's really no need to waste time reading any reviews of this game. The same goes if you regard games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 and the Baldurs Gate-series among the best computer games ever made. Because this game is everything a person like you look for in a game, and so much more. Be aware though, Dragon Age: Origins is not a revolution of the genre, rather it is an evolution, where Bioware has refined everything that made them into a formula as close to perfection as possible. Without a doubt one of the strongest Game of the year-candidates so far this year and a game we will remember with warm feelings many years to come.
  2. An outstanding story-driven RPG with fantastic writing, RPG depth and tough tactical combat. It's BioWare's best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. [Holiday 2009, p.38]
  3. Dragon Age Origins will keep you in front of your computer for hours! Graphics, sounds and the controls couldn’t be much better!