Dragon Age: Origins PC

8.6

1. Jan 10, 2017
    Funny. First time I played Origins I wasn't that impressed, yet it is the game I keep playing. Fact is I have played it four times and each time I come away liking it more and gaining new appreciation for the characters and its story. That says all which needs to be said, I think. Replayability, after all, is among the best testaments for any RPG. It's flat out fun.
  2. Dec 20, 2016
    I can explain all but i have no need to do that. This is (in all the things he touch) the best rpg game than i have ever play. Asome characters, asome history, asome systems, i love all of this game.
  3. Dec 10, 2016
    Absolutely adore this game. Sadly can never really play it anymore after how bad Inquisition was, but I've played it 10+ times, and it brings fond memories.

Pros + ORIGINS. City elf, Dwarf noble, and mage are the best . + Multiple dialogue options and unvoiced. Makes it more tailored to you. + Companions are far better than the most of the ones in the sequels. Even Leliana and

Pros

+ ORIGINS. City elf, Dwarf noble, and mage are the best
    + Multiple dialogue options and unvoiced. Makes it more tailored to you.

+ Companions are far better than the most of the ones in the sequels. Even Leliana and Wynne, who are the most boring companions in-game.

+++ Best companions are Loghain and Sten. Mary Kirby did a great job.

+ Romances do not feel forced or are written for fanservice.

+ Some of the choices in the game are great and often overlooked. Choices like fail to save Irving , double crossing Bhelen, or personally killing Jowan are special ESPECIALLY if they're related to your origin.

+Combat is good. Not the most fun or the best (D:OS takes that), but it’s better than its sequels.

+ With mods, the characters you can still make characters look better than in Inquisition.

+ Music is great. There is a certain magic to it, that is enhanced by certain moments in the campaign.

+ Just a really amazing finale that grabs you, yet is different, each time you play it.

CONS

-Almost every plot revolves around blood magic. Always.

- For some reason non-Warden companions don't get the taint.

- Combat animations are SLOW. This however can be solved by casting haste.

- There are still bugs that even mods don’t fix because they’re so niche that not many people experience them!
    IE, if you personally executed Jowan, he will resurrect and receive a 2nd sentence once you’ve revived the arl.

-Art design is okay. Not my taste. Then again, DA:O was based on Baldur’s Gate. Use armor mods and ENBs if you’re nitpicky like me.

-Dungeons for some quests can get pretty long. Perhaps too long. But you do feel more triumphant at the end of the game.

Overall, still DA:O is a great modern RPG and very enjoyable. Witcher 2 and F:NV had better premises, but with the multiple origins, dialogue options you can choose that is really easy to forget that and enjoy it was a roleplaying experience.

It’s much like VTMB, in this regard, but with added companions as a plus.

PLAY as a Warden who doesn't make all the right choices and sometimes fails.. You will get a lot more out of your roleplaying experience and enjoy it more. Also be prepared to bring a lot of Kleenex.

A grade game, through and through.
  4. Dec 5, 2016
    I almost never give anything a 10, but DA:O deserves every point. Seven years after it first hit the virtual shelves, it remains the pinnacle of the story-driven fantasy rpg. It's also the spiritual sequel to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Fans of that game will find a lot of similarities here, starting with the fact that the characters and their stories are terrific. It's hardI almost never give anything a 10, but DA:O deserves every point. Seven years after it first hit the virtual shelves, it remains the pinnacle of the story-driven fantasy rpg. It's also the spiritual sequel to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Fans of that game will find a lot of similarities here, starting with the fact that the characters and their stories are terrific. It's hard not to get attached to them, even if you occasionally want to backhand Morrigan or knock some sense into Alistair. The game play hearkens right back to the PC classics of the previous decade, which may be a plus or a minus, depending on your preference. Definitely a plus for me. Expand
  5. Oct 17, 2016
    Slow and unresponsive AI, party member collision, boring "side quests," no combat log / advanced stats screen, and wildly unbalanced classes and abilities bring this down from what could have been a 9.

The voice acting and banter is great, and I really loved the dog. Everything else was "meh."
  6. Oct 13, 2016
    Dragon Age Origins is my favorite RPG of all time next to the Mass Effect series, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines and the Witcher series. Origins came out during a time when Bioware wasn't injecting bizarre liberal politics into their games. It's sad that Bioware is now plagued with liberal political activists, they're like leeches.

If you play this game, go as slow as you possibly

If you play this game, go as slow as you possibly can, take your time, listen to all the dialogue and read all the codex. I recommend either the human noble origin or the human mage origin. If you play a mage, make sure you decide what fraternity ideals you think your mage should follow. Decide whether the character you role play believes in the maker or not

The music in this game comes from the heart, there are some moments where you'll just sit back, sip on some wine and just get immersed.

Dragon Age Origins is perfection, so naturally Bioware and the entire industry have stopped making games like this.
  7. Oct 10, 2016
    Poor game, lacks true and more classical RPG mechanics like fishing minigames and no rideable mounts, disappointing game. The fanbase also negatively affects the game.
  8. Sep 21, 2016
    After the second time I clearly need to rethink about the game. The first time I didn't realize how exhausting fights in this game can be. Areas are too big, I've never would have thought I'll say that, every door, every corner - hostiles and not easy to beat but demanding solid tactic, especially playing a mage. The story is little cliche, though interesting. Certainly a mile stone inAfter the second time I clearly need to rethink about the game. The first time I didn't realize how exhausting fights in this game can be. Areas are too big, I've never would have thought I'll say that, every door, every corner - hostiles and not easy to beat but demanding solid tactic, especially playing a mage. The story is little cliche, though interesting. Certainly a mile stone in role playing and gaming itself but not friendly for casual players, focused too much on fights, bosses. Expand
  9. Sep 20, 2016
    This game is not only the best RPG, but for me the best game of the last generation of games/consoles. It has brilliant story and fantastically well-built characters, and an excellent gameplay as well. Bioware should have done better with its sequels though, Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition don't even come closer to their predecessor.
  10. Sep 9, 2016
    Overrated action RPG trying to exploit the Baldur's gate nostalgia of fans, posing as a "spiritual successor" to it, but being a mediocre console game.

People seem to think that Dragon Age series got worse with II and Inquisition, but trust me, true Bioware fans like me were enraged with Origins. This is a bad game. It is not a deep RPG, more like RPG-lite. The combat system is tedius, boring, and lacks true strategy and tactics.

The game is long and has good content, but the story is trash and the various "twists" are telegraphed hours away. It has good romancing options, but who plays video games for "romancing options"? Seriously?

All in all, it is a good RPG-lite, with nice production values, that will satisfy you, but it is far away from a master piece. It signaled the downward spiral of Bioware after its acquisition from EA. True RPG experts knew when the played origins, that Bioware as we knew it was gone.

This is a 8/10 game, considering 2009 standards. I am giving it a 5, to lower the average.
  11. Aug 30, 2016
    For me this is one of the best RPG's i have ever played! Great story, awesome companions and tons of replay value! Even with its problems this game is a 10 out of 10 for me
  12. Aug 23, 2016
    This may be one of the most perfect RPG's I have played. Amazing atmosphere, amazing gameplay, fun customization, cool items, and very immersive. Story is good too, having multiple villains and heroes.
    My advice is to play this game, maybe play Dragon Age 2, but never play Dragon Age: Inquisition. Inquisition is so bad that it makes me almost never want to play Origins again.
    Pros:

Pros: Very fun gameplay, story, and generally amazing RPG.

Cons: Dragon Age Inquisition is terrible and a slap in the face to all Origins fans. EA should be ashamed, but sadly they are incapable of feeling shame.
  13. Aug 10, 2016
    Dragon Age: Origins is a fantastic game. No AAA game since has ever come so close to the original IE games, where you felt like your every choice had consequences and that you & your companions were out to experience this grand story, with its dynamic twists and turns. The graphics looked dated even then, and bugs remain, but the experience is one you won't forget. The world is beautifullyDragon Age: Origins is a fantastic game. No AAA game since has ever come so close to the original IE games, where you felt like your every choice had consequences and that you & your companions were out to experience this grand story, with its dynamic twists and turns. The graphics looked dated even then, and bugs remain, but the experience is one you won't forget. The world is beautifully fleshed out, and you'll obsessively check your codex for new lore. I can still tell you verbatim about every single small decision I made despite finishing the game a long time ago. The companions, especially Alistair and Morrigan, have wonderful backstories and react dynamically to your choices. The biggest drawback, in my opinion, is the fact that BioWare did not capitalize on the potential of their living, breathing world and instead went for a conventional story with a mighty monster and a destined hero. Take nothing away from my gripe, however. DA:O is a masterpiece. Expand
  14. May 20, 2016
    Dumb dumb dumb.

You can read about the biggest flaws in numerous other reviews. I'm not going to repeat. I just want to concentrate on a couple of them that are common in the genre. Flaws are supposed to disappear in later games, right ? Well, not according to the baboon who designed DAO and brought them to a higher level of frustrating stupidity. Many games give you an ability to
    Dumb dumb dumb.

Many games give you an ability to sneak. Most just pretend to give it to you, as they happily ignore it ever after. You know, you're invisible, but a cut-scene begins that makes you instantly visible, and generally at the worst possible spot. And it also gathers your strategically (or is it lazily?) disseminated party. So now you're a bit frustrated because the game ignores your manual efforts and/or your superior brain. Also, the narrative lost its edge somehow. These scenes happen when the game mechanics are not designed according to the story needs. Or the opposite. Actually... both. Anyway, one day, a good game will do this right.

Now a little example on how DAO handles this simple matter: So here I was, sneaking far ahead of my imposed companions, past many paralysed-looking orcs-with-another-name, careful not to miss any passage between all the invisible walls. Suddenly !... a flower. I mean, an interactive flower, you know, something I can finally touch without killing it. So I tend my hand to grab it... and suddenly !, but very suddenly this time, instantaneous-like, my unwanted companions are next to me, talking to me. They sneaked faster than I did. But not as well, since we are all visible and orcs nearby can see us. They are already charging.

Do you think this is not stupid enough ? Here's the punchline: only 2 of my 3 companions have teleported in order to dispel my cover with their powerful voodoo. The 3rd one is still where they left him, on the other side of 4 or 5 enemy patrols.

Believe it or not, it got so much worse in the next chapter that I gave up and uninstalled with a sneer towards the designers. Among niceties, you can't manipulate anything while in combat, you can't go back into sneak mode in an empty, locked room because there is an enemy in another locked room somewhere in a large radius around you, and so on.

Basically, DAO forces you into linear paths (disguised as exterior maps) and into killing everything as you progress. Not so surprising since the Gray Warden you work for is nothing but a cold blooded murderer after all, but I already hinted that this review wasn't going to dive into the failures of the writing.
  15. May 9, 2016
    Capturing that old Baldur’s Gate feel was goal number one for Dragon Age, and it comes pretty close. Ferelden evokes much of the Forgotten Realms without feeling like a rehash, and your relationship with your team has that old BioWare magic. The darkspawn feel like the kind of world-consuming threat that demands our attention, even if most of them are faceless hunks of evil for us to cutCapturing that old Baldur’s Gate feel was goal number one for Dragon Age, and it comes pretty close. Ferelden evokes much of the Forgotten Realms without feeling like a rehash, and your relationship with your team has that old BioWare magic. The darkspawn feel like the kind of world-consuming threat that demands our attention, even if most of them are faceless hunks of evil for us to cut down. I love how Dragon Age treats magic in its world, in particular the quests that force you to choose how to best handle abominations, the result of a renegade mage succombing to demonic possession.

But it’s the combat that feels most familiar, and most fun: the satisfying tactical depth of pausing your combat, issuing orders, and reacting to the results works like a modern Infinity Engine game should. It’s sad that BioWare will never make an RPG like this again-Dragon Age 2 was too streamlined, and Inquisition’s moving toward a more open world- so in many ways, this is the last hurrah for the old BioWare, and a fitting end for its classic design.
  16. May 9, 2016
    Dragon Age is one of the most amazing RPG's I ever played in my 28 years. The world that the game puts you in is very well crafted, the characters seem very real and there are many decisions to chose from. The battle system may seem a bit hard for newcomers but it's actually very tactical and satisfactory. I highly recommend this game to everyone.
  17. Mar 28, 2016
    Score : 9.5 - not perfect and giving it a 9 because its too low.

An epic modernized version of Baldur's Gate 2 tactical combat systems (but in 3D) and better than Game of Thrones narrative, the story and choice system with consequences. The first and last Dragon Age before Bioware taken over by Electronic Farts, don't bother with the DA2 and DA:I sequels. This game is buy far the
    Score : 9.5 - not perfect and giving it a 9 because its too low.

This game is buy far the BEST RPG since Planescape Torment until The Witcher 3 came along. While DA:O is not open world, the game is more than big enough with phenomenal content, both quality and quantity. Don't know how Bioware pulled it off in the mid 2000s during development but six unique origin stories and NPCs react differently to your origin! no other developer has since pulled this off.

Lots of twists and very well written intriguing side quests keeps you captivated. I remember playing uptil 4 to 5am every morning just to find out what happens next, this game is that immersive. Companions are the best written and reactive and puts all the others to shame i.e. Fallout 4, Pillars of Eternity. If you want one dimensional companions, go play Skyrim.

Everything about this game is just epic beyond description in words, the music, battles, alternative endings, funning dialogues choices, the adventure. So sad to see what Bioware have become.
  18. Mar 25, 2016
    You know how far behind am i on playing the video games? I just started playing Dragon Age Origins for the first time a few weeks ago and loving it. Cant beileve i didnt found this game soon. Since than i have played about 90 hours (in one playthrough...) So i guessI guess this game is doing something right to make contine playing it :D.

The Pros *The writing in this game made up for

The Pros
    *The writing in this game made up for the if-ing gameplay ( but that later). The lore for this game is pretty extensive as well
    *I loved the companions that joined me in this game. They certainly went to a lot of work on each companion.
    *Great Character Customization/ Awesome Origin Stories
    The Cons:
    *The combat/gameplay a bit of a mess ( but one will get use to it after a while)
    The Meh:
    *The Graphics dose look a bit out of dated but still not too bad once you get use to it

So i would say that this game is on my top five favorites (rpg) games next to Skyrim. Would give this a game a 9 out of ten
  19. Mar 7, 2016
    It's definetely interesting, the story-line, the interaction with the other characters, the combat system... The only bad thing about the game is that it's way too slow-paced, kinda gets boring at times because of how slow everything happens.
  20. Jan 22, 2016
    Dragon Age Origins
    More like Goose Age Origins
    This game is deep, and that’s the greatest thing about it. The depth though is also the worst thing about it This game starts out with letting you customize your character and choosing your class. All of your choices here will determine the origins story you are given. There’s potentially 6 different stories to be told in this game… I
    Dragon Age Origins
    More like Goose Age Origins
    This game is deep, and that’s the greatest thing about it.
    The depth though is also the worst thing about it
    All of your choices here will determine the origins story you are given.
    There’s potentially 6 different stories to be told in this game…
    I played the console version of this game, so it’s much more action oriented than strategy based.
    You can journey with 4 allies at a time to help you fight enemies and you can gain new allies along your journey,
    How you treat your allies and the people in the world around you will determine if they turn their back on you or help you with your cause.
    Your allies do a fairly decent job at holding their own... they only got stuck one time in my entire playthrough.
    You can equip gear you find on them much like a JRPG, there is tons of micro managing your ally’s skills as well as yours,
    Dragon Age Origins is lengthy, but not lengthy because there is so much great content to experience...
    The game is long just for the sake of being long... it accomplishes nothing in dragging the story on forever and makes you do more than you should really have to…
    The entire game feels like one giant goose chase.
    After your origins story the map opens up and you can freely clear it in any order you choose,
    The incentive to doing so is there is a blight... demons… an army... you need allies, so you set out into the vast sections to gain those allies...
    Each section of the map could literally be their own game… and not necessarily in a good way.
    They all have their own self-contained stories that link to the overarching story, but every single one of them follow the formula of the main story, which is you think you’re done but you’re not
    you get to whoever you’re looking for but they need you to do this before they’ll help you but when you get there to do what they need there’s someone there that needs you to help them before they can help you help the person that you need to help before they’ll help you..
    Its overwhelming and ultimately makes the game feel like it drags on forever
    and quite frankly it does... you never feel like you are making any true progress…
    It took me 10 hours of playing before the game got even a little bit interesting to me.
    There are some really cool sections to this game, again they all feel like they could be their own game...
    It’s crazy to look back when you’re near the end and think of the journey you’ve been on and how it was indeed part of this game and not some game you played years ago even though it feels like it.
    There’s mages, demons, going through the fade and shape shifting, hunting werewolves down in the forest, going underground to search for a mighty anvil
    There is so much to experience.
    While Dragon Age’s game world is vast and deep, I found the gameplay and journey to be shallow and tedious.
    Due to the delivery of the story, and the constant webbing of story lines I found Dragon Age Origins to eventually feel more like a chore than a game,
    After about 30 hours in I was begging for the game to be over, to get to the point, but instead it drug me down another 20 hours of rabbit holes.
    If the rabbit holes don’t make the game feel tedious enough, it also does a horrible job at quest progression in general...
    You rarely know where you’re supposed to go,
    The marker for the quest you’re on only appears when you’re close to the desired location…
    and by close, I mean practically on top of it…
    Which will lead you right to google to figure out where this person lives since who’s going to really memorize the locations of these people by name?
    I’m not
    There’s a Lot to do in Dragon Age Origins, so I can definitely see why people love this game so much…
    Even I appreciate the game for what it has going on...
    There was just ultimately nothing here to hook me in...
    If I didn’t feel obligated to make it to the credits, I definitely wouldn’t have
    I give Dragon Age Origins a 7.5/10
  21. Dec 31, 2015
    One of my favourite games ever. I wish they would make more like. The story gets you involved and the tactical combat is fun and at times a challenge.
  22. Dec 23, 2015
    Like a read a good novel you cant stop yourself until the end.

This game gives you everything Great Companions, Totally different origins can shape the game, a strategic Combat System (you cannot find such a good system many rpg game those days).
  23. Dec 5, 2015
    The first and very promising Dragon Age Origins.
    It's fantastic all over really, it had a very dark colour atmosphere in terms of graphics/environments and it had a suitably dark story to accompany it. Its dialogue is very nuanced, clever and has wonderful depth.
    The combat, while not tactical in the extreme, is a great challenge. I played this game on consoles first, and while that's
    The first and very promising Dragon Age Origins.

The combat, while not tactical in the extreme, is a great challenge.
    I played this game on consoles first, and while that's fun, the PC combat is far and away superior.
    The ability to pause the action and set certain attack patterns is a lot of fun. It's a joy to plan out boss battles in particular, in terms of party selected to fight, AOE affects used etc. It's a joy because while it's reasonably challenging, it's also very much accessible. Bioware struck the right balance.

It's just a shame that the two sequels chose to ignore all the positive points about Origins really.
  24. Nov 25, 2015
    One of the best rpg i ever played. Before The Witcher 3, this game was the king. It was made by Bioware before they sold their soul to EA and remains for me as the last good product of this once legendary company.
  25. Nov 15, 2015
    You do not need a lot of words, just Dragon Age: Origins - this is perfect game and one of the best RPG of the 21st century. You should not miss this game. 10/10
  26. Nov 13, 2015
    I can't understand how this game could get such a high score. Graphics are okay, soundtrack too, and the first two or three hours (origins) are interesting. From there on the game becomes linear, boring and repetitive. The biggest disappointment, in my opinion, is the extremely limited freedom of action: exploration is non existing, party members are few and "hardcoded", the biggest cityI can't understand how this game could get such a high score. Graphics are okay, soundtrack too, and the first two or three hours (origins) are interesting. From there on the game becomes linear, boring and repetitive. The biggest disappointment, in my opinion, is the extremely limited freedom of action: exploration is non existing, party members are few and "hardcoded", the biggest city in the game contains two merchants or something like that, new locations "appear" on the map only after you pick the quest, invisible walls everywhere...Claustrophobic to say the least. Oh, and sidequests: probably the worst aspect of the whole game. Dull, linear, irrelevant. Whole areas appear out of nowhere just to let you fight useless battles for yet more useless rewards (expecially in late game). The game is pretty much all about the main story line, which although mildly interesting (up to the battle in Ostagar i was liking it), is quite generic as well (a great evil descends upon the land, a mighty hero is here to save the day). The total absence of "true" exploration, limited interaction with the outside world (whole rooms full of stuff you can't interact with) and boring and repetitive combat really kills the fun for me. And the world is SO small! i found myself travelling from the urn of ashes ruins to brecillian forest just to buy ingredients and then going back! Add to this very few npc's, a party of 4 members which you cannot evolve as you like, since if you don't follow their starting skills you basically water them down (something you simply can't afford when party is only 4 people) and basically next to no "true" secondary quests (the npc quests are really just a couple of boring dialogues to get and one or two locations you must visit to complete the whole thing), and I really wonder how it is possible that so many people are giving 90+ to this game. Considering the size (15GB!) and the year it was released i would have expected sooooo much more. There are many games that are much better, for less than half the size and without all this hype about "choices that really matter", which is plainly false. Whatever you do or say at the end of these never ending cutscenes, has very little impact in the long term, other than "good" or "evil" ending with a couple of variants. In my opinion, DaO is a huge step back in terms of rpg gaming. I just hope this is not what we will get in the years to come, although i'm afraid it is Expand
  27. Nov 13, 2015
    This is by far the best of the series by far. Only 3 games has ever got a hold of me from the get go, and this is certainly one of them. The origin sequence alone is well done, and the surely but steady build up to the final battle right after is always on cresciendo. It is just beautiful. I wish the devs would ho back to their roots and make games like this again.
  28. Nov 3, 2015
    Loved it ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssLoved it ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss Expand
  29. Nov 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's incredible how much work Bioware put into creating the fantastical world which is Dragon Age. So many little touches such as the comprehensive and detailed codex which allows you to read into the history of the world at the press of a button. Most characters seem well thought out, Bioware has always excelled at character development. Not quite at the level of Mass Effect but a decent runner up with the voice acting for it.

However, the game is massively flawed by the unrealistic and brutal difficulty level. I've reached a point where I cannot kill this one enemy: Flemeth the Dragon despite being at level 15, which is above the recommended level needed to kill her. I managed to defeat the previous dragon by essentially tricking him by running back and forth between a very specific area of terrain, can’t do that here. I strategize at every moment I can, I try to maximize the ability of all my characters by frequently pausing the game and analysing the situation. Stocking up on potions should not be the answer here; it’s a poor design decision which discourages the very thing the game is trying to teach the player: strategy. The game simply throws too much at the player without even any thought for balance. As a player, you have no idea whatsoever of the difficulty of some of the areas you enter and more often or not end up backtracking after wasting X hours trying to get to where you are. Simply having the areas levelled on the world map would have fixed many difficulty related issues.

At every encounter involving a dragon or an insane quantity of enemies, I clench my butt cheeks super tight because I know that all the strategy I have learnt means nothing. I can do normal encounters easily without any issues, hell throw a boss in there too it really isn’t a problem. What is the problem is the random erratic difficulty spikes throughout the map for the entire game; it doesn’t even matter if your next location is right near your current one the difficulty level is unpredictable and tiresome to constantly have to battle with.

Normally RPGs let you know in some way that the area you're in is too high a level for you but not Dragon Age. In addition to this, the game's autosave system is almost non-existent. You better save manually every 5 minutes if you don't wish to drive yourself insane by repeatedly playing the same sequences over and over. I want to play more; but I somehow doubt I can bring myself to when I've tried so hard at growing each of the characters for nothing.

Oh well, Dragon Age: Origins is a missed opportunity. Unfortunately, if games expect you to repeatedly die in order to "learn how to play" then I say you're likely looking at a flawed game to start with. Games should definitely challenge you but in a fair way by maintaining a fair difficulty curve and preparing you for the road ahead. I’ve never played a game where I have felt like I haven’t increased in power the more I play, it’s very much the opposite and definitely something which makes me feel unexcited and fatigued coming back to it. My advice is to find a better game, if you haven't played Mass Effect then I strongly recommend you do. All three games suffer from none of the issues DA:O does and have even stronger characters.
  30. Oct 27, 2015
    One of the best. Even 6 six years after release, I've have much fun playing it again and i'm still finding new stuff. Emotionnaly involving, this is how you make a game!
  31. Oct 25, 2015
    I modded the game to the absolute maximum via Nexus but aside from that the character interactions (including the romances) and weight of decisions along with the meaningful, tactical combat made this game an instant classic for me.
  32. Oct 13, 2015
    Like Mass effect 2, this could one of bioware's best games that they have made. After the release of Baldur's gate, I found Dragon Age Origins to be a huge improvement over both Baldur's Gate.

I found the entire story to be intriguing and the amount of choices you makes this game feel like a better rpg than Bioware's "Mass Effect". And also unlike Mass effect, you don't get a paragon/renegade dialogue option but more like a "fallout" dialogue option which makes the player feel more open to more dialogue options than just "good and bad" options. Also another thing that was interesting was the approval and disapproval rating, everything you do affects your companions and it can either result in your companion disapproving/approving your decisions and in the long term in can result in a companion leaving if the approval rating is down or even a love interest. And you also take on a few companion missions, which aren't very good. (mass effect 2 fixes this problem.)

But I find the combat DoD system to be outdated, I was really expecting a hack and slash kinda gameplay but the DoD tackles the combat in a different and strategic way. The skills tree isn't very helpful and limited to customization same with the entire leveling up system, it feels to inconsistent which at times it ranks me up too fast or too slow.

But also a huge problem is the PC optimization. it's horrible due to the memory leak so I found myself restarting a game a whole bunch of times and I was angry at this. But in overall content I was very surprised. Dragon Age Origins main campaign left me playing around 48 hours and it's not even 80% completed and with the main campaign DLC completed. The awakening expansion is a very nice expansion which clocks in around 12 hours, it's a fair amount of time to complete but I found it to be short at times and rushed as well. The other DLC (Witch hunt, GoA, DSC, and Leliana's song) are okay but the only ones I recommend is Witch Hunt, leliana's song (because of companion reasons.) and GoA (for leveling up your gray warden) But I would skip buying GoA, and DSC it was lacking detail and in the end... I don't care about it anyways.

So all in all, get this game, It was exciting to play and I was very happy with the overall content and this is a much better RPG than Mass effect. I would buy the Ultimate edition if I had to, to play DA:O and Awakening again.
  33. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Engaging story that covers a lot of interesting characters and plot arcs
    + One of the best casts of companion characters in gaming
    + Cool class and RPG system that borrows from the classics while introducing some unique perspectives
    ? A somewhat sporadic overall plot that becomes fairly generic in the end
    - Slow and/or stilted pacing throughout the game, rough around the edges
  34. Sep 10, 2015
    40 % of the game is watching cut scenes. 20% is answering multiple choice questions on what to say and how to reply. 40% is running and combat. this is a very slow paced game with invisible walls everywhere. not an open world.
  35. Sep 4, 2015
    I am disappointed with this game. Camera is terrible and sometimes downright infuriating. Some of the objects are way to hard to find. Even after you know where they are supposed to be! If you are really desperate for an RPG game, give it a try, otherwise there are many better ones out there.
  36. Sep 1, 2015
    Dragon Age Origins is a good well told cliché story interrupted by micromanaging combat and pursue of romance with other characters.

Starting DAO gives you the chance of six different origins. Afterwards it does not matter anymore. Yes, you can choose your dialogue options to “influence” the story, but the truth is that in the end, you do not have six complete different stories, only the illusion of six different stories.

If you play DAO you know the high quality of storytelling by Bioware, even if we have seen it before a thousand times. As usual you are the hero or antihero and are chosen by the Graywardens to fight the great evil: the darkspawn. The story is well told with great moments. However, I prefer the story of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II better; they were more engaging to me. Even KOTOR I and KOTOR II (Obsidian) had better stories and twists. But, as everything in gaming and life, it depends on the taste of each individual.

Through your quest and side quests to destroy the said evil, you will meet different characters; some of them will join your party if you chose so. As with Mass Effect, you can pursue a relationship with some of them. They have background stories if you are willing to scratch the surface.

Gameplay. If you have played any Bioware game you know what you are into. Story, turn-based combat. And if you want to succeed in DAO, you will have to micromanage combat and pause a lot. The game offers you a deep system to establish the AI of you companions in combat. Nevertheless, you will still have to adjust and readjust and pause the game to avoid certain death.

Here is my problem with the game. I am familiar with turn based combat of all previous Bioware games. However, this time around you no longer have the D&D rule set, but a “house made” rule by Bioware. To me, combat is no longer fun but a tedious process of micromanaging and adjusting the AI of companions. After a battle I am not like “great!” but more like “What…another one?”

Luckily, you have long cut scenes that advance the plot, so you have time to relax after each encounter. That is my other problem with the game. While the story is well told and the characters are interesting, I find the game is the one that sets the rhythm, not me. I am just an expectator waiting for the next combat session. Cuts scenes are sometimes too long. The game is the protagonist, not the gamer.
    Graphics: they do the job, but do not expect enjoying landscapes or anything, they are poorly textured. Not like you can go free exploring though. Character models are ok, but not like in Mass Effect 1 or 2. Blood will be there, after each combat your character and companions will be drenched in blood. No worries.

Sound: Good acting voices, true to Bioware standards. The music is nice and is varied according to the situation.

So yes, DAO is a long game, but not because of gameplay content, but for the long cut scenes, conversations with dialogue options with various NPCs and combat management. Many have enjoyed it proven by the tremendous positive reviews here, but some of us have tried hard to like this game due to its nostalgia relation to BG and BG II. Hey, I have a copy of them; I think I will play good classic RPGs now. Cheers
  37. Aug 20, 2015
    This was my first real RPG experience. Had introduced me in the story masterfully, I can feel as the protagonist and each action counts exploring the world at my will. It has the same gameplay as Pillars of Eternity (which is inspired in this gameplay). One of its most important things is the toolkit to have literally thousands of mods, I remember playing it with all my companionsThis was my first real RPG experience. Had introduced me in the story masterfully, I can feel as the protagonist and each action counts exploring the world at my will. It has the same gameplay as Pillars of Eternity (which is inspired in this gameplay). One of its most important things is the toolkit to have literally thousands of mods, I remember playing it with all my companions customized and it was awesome. King of RPGs! Expand
  38. Aug 8, 2015
    This game is nothing short of amazing, memorable characters, indulging plot, deeply strategical battle system, it all comes together as one of my favourite games of all time.

Pros:
    Compelling Story
    Deep and Elaborate Combat
    No Meaningless Locations
    Tremendously Dense Lore

Cons:
    Graphically Dull (for 2015 standards)
    Combat can feel a bit clunky sometimes
  39. Jul 30, 2015
    9.5/10. Wonderfully immersive story combined with a great replayability due to the numerous strategy combinations you can set your party up to. My favorite is the mage that can beome an arcane warrior.
  40. Jul 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A día de hoy se ven muy pocos juegos con esta calidad de diseño, de inmersión y de trasfondo como ser muestra con esta primera entrega y siento que así debió ser con sus secuelas.
    De los mejores y más acertados sistemas de combate que un RPG puede ofrecer al jugador pese a lo que los "casuales" digan, las animaciones de combate no son de lo más espectacular de lo que usualmente suele verse en el mercado, eso es verdad, pero no representa problema en base a que mantiene su bien distribuida dificultad en todo momento. La estrategia es muy importante y se refleja bastante a lo largo de la aventura con nuestros compañeros y cada habilidad que adquiramos para ellos a medida que suben de nivel es imprescindible. La calidad gráfica es poco a como se muestra su más nueva entrega "dragon age inquisition" sin embargo su apartado visual es claramente superior (ojo, apartado visual no es lo mismo a calidad gráfica); Posee un estilo realista a la vez que te sumerge en un ambiente de rol fantástico, que se puede observar con las diferentes elecciones de clases que puedes elegir al principio del juego, y el cómo se diferencian entre sí, tanto física como metódicamente, los qunari son como seres humanos pero de mayor proporción de tamaño y fornidos en su mayoría, los elfos aunque un poco más bajos de estatura que el humano y con orejas puntiagudas, estos son como otros humanos, otra cultura y otros dioses, hay situaciones sociales y políticas, racismo y discriminación, varios puntos que conforman la estructura de ferelden, lugar en el cual iniciarás y terminarás tu aventura como guarda gris.
    La narrativa de esta historia es impresionante y hay muchas posibilidades dado a que tú tomas el rol como protagonista, dejándote a escoger muchas opciones por las cual responder a las cuestiones que se presentan en tu viaje, no hay bien ni un mal que defina la ética y moral de nuestro personaje sino que te puedes formar como persona y como heroe a tu modo.
    Tiene compañeros memorables, todos muy carismáticos y tienen su forma de ser tratados, hay otros de lo más raros pero tienen su propia chispa, en algunos casos podremos verlos en otras entregas de la saga como es el caso de flemeth o morrigan, leliana y otros personajes como cullen que más adelante toma un rol importante en la inquisición.
    Tiene por mucho el mejor protagonista de toda la saga y con mucha razón, dragon age 2 no merece mención debido a la aberrante historia que presenta, y con dragon age inquisition, nuestro personaje posee una extraña y en mi opinión, mal sistema de respuestas y sigue a veces el mismo patrón que tienen el segundo juego haciendo que a veces no puedas tomar decisión realmente en ningún aspecto. Esto con el guarda gris no sucede, a pesar de no tener voz en el juego, es compensado con la grande variedad de respuestas que eres capaz de dar a las situaciones que se presentan, no hay un: Opción A) Veré que puedo hacer. Opción B) estoy de acuerdo, por ahora... Meeeh.
    Lo más importante ya lo he mencionado, creo que con esto terminaría mi opinión. Una obra maestra sin duda y aún espero a que bioware continúe la historia del "heroe de ferelden" como protagonista de su siguiente entrega dado a que su linea argumental fue "cortada" por los demás juegos (DA2 y DA:I) aun si fuera por capricho, pero sería una gran vuelta a la increíble trama que presenta este juego, sin dudarlo.
  41. Jun 30, 2015
    One of the best games there is out there. The introduction to different races is one of the most profound elements in any RPG game out there. Bioware at it's best.
  42. Jun 29, 2015
    This game, oh my gosh this game. I can completely see why people would love this game, from the old timey Tactical RPG to the awesome story, and yet i just can't stand it. The game is TOO big. It has parts of dungeons that are WAAAAAAAAAY to massive, or just there to make it longer. The combat is dull and repetitive, The only class that feels moderately fun is the mage, and that's aThis game, oh my gosh this game. I can completely see why people would love this game, from the old timey Tactical RPG to the awesome story, and yet i just can't stand it. The game is TOO big. It has parts of dungeons that are WAAAAAAAAAY to massive, or just there to make it longer. The combat is dull and repetitive, The only class that feels moderately fun is the mage, and that's a stretch, and i have found a multitude of bugs in my game, and finally the AI just bogs down the game too much. I want to love this game that everyone seems to like, but i just can't. Expand
  43. Jun 26, 2015
    Good: Companions, Orzammar

Mixed: Story, Writing, Gameplay, Music, Atmosphere/Mood, Setting

Bad: Pacing, Bugs

Overall average game with great moments. Terrible pacing, too much boring encounters with trash mobs. Some great locations with enjoyable quest lines like Orzammar. Annoying bugs in combat.
  44. Jun 20, 2015
    This is one of my favorite games of all time because, everything is so immersive, so alive, so... I have no idea how to describe it, the combat is a bit boring and very slow, but you can fix that with some mods, the story is amazing and awful, because choices make the story, so it's best to be careful, graphics are ok, your companions are a bit cliche'd but they're great at the same time,This is one of my favorite games of all time because, everything is so immersive, so alive, so... I have no idea how to describe it, the combat is a bit boring and very slow, but you can fix that with some mods, the story is amazing and awful, because choices make the story, so it's best to be careful, graphics are ok, your companions are a bit cliche'd but they're great at the same time, anyways, this game is a masterpiece and a must-own for an RPG fan. Expand
  45. Jun 14, 2015
    The mechanics are woefully inadequate in this game. Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect 1, 2, 3, and Old Republic are all better in terms of mechanics while also maintaining the high level of storytelling and player choice that this game is known for. The thing is all of those games have been made by the same company, so I don't know why this one is so different in such a bad way.
  46. May 24, 2015
    The first RPG iv ever played and it has changed my life! A fantastic world full of depth and story i find my self wanting to do just one more quest one more turns into two more and so on. A fantastic game im currently in my second playthrough and only at 40% completion at 60 total hours so far and iv not even touched the DLC yet! Plenty of breadth and depth mods really bring this old ishThe first RPG iv ever played and it has changed my life! A fantastic world full of depth and story i find my self wanting to do just one more quest one more turns into two more and so on. A fantastic game im currently in my second playthrough and only at 40% completion at 60 total hours so far and iv not even touched the DLC yet! Plenty of breadth and depth mods really bring this old ish game to really shine!
    I could not give this review 10/10 due to some issues on the PC version that can only be fixed by setting the affinity to 2 of my 4 cpu cores or the game crashes.

Overall a must play!
  47. May 12, 2015
  48. May 5, 2015
    One of the best RPGs I've played. I find the combat a lot of fun, I only wish there was more of it. You can spend literally hours upon hours simply roaming the towns, talking to NPCs, accepting quests, running errands etc. You don't really get too much action until you get to the Deep Roads. Sure the story is overall good and characters interesting, but at the end of the day the politicalOne of the best RPGs I've played. I find the combat a lot of fun, I only wish there was more of it. You can spend literally hours upon hours simply roaming the towns, talking to NPCs, accepting quests, running errands etc. You don't really get too much action until you get to the Deep Roads. Sure the story is overall good and characters interesting, but at the end of the day the political "intrigue" is kinda boring, as I found myself time and again wishing I was fighting monsters instead of talking or running errands for some dwarf lord. Gaps between longer periods of fighting can be up to 6 hours long, not even kidding. Granted there are a few moments/plot twists that had me genuinely amazed and some of the choices you need to make can be very difficult to do, but overall I think that the story and historical background lack some form of epicness, there's just too much political stuff there I feel. At the same time there are seemingly endless branching dialogue options and almost all of them have unique responses from NPCs, it's absolutely massive. The environments themselves are very restrictive and not interconnected like in open world RPGs. What's nonrestrictive though is the way the game allows you to interact with NPCs - want to be an **** - you can be one. Or maybe you want to be a neckbeard white knight who always does what's noble and right - you can do that. Over time you will grow attached to your characters and will enjoy their random banters as well as their personal stories and dialogues. I only wish there was more gear as my character used 3 or 4 different bows throughout the whole play-through which is a big negative to me because I love gear upgrades and lots of them. Overall this is a great RPG that has its flaws but with patience you'll find that it has more to offer than appears at the first glance. A must-play for any RPG enthusiast for sure! Expand
  49. Apr 22, 2015
    I can see how this would maybe appeal to those who enjoyed isometric RPGs the likes of Baldur's Gate and Diablo, but this game just didn't appeal to me. I don't like how I just have to click on an enemy and watch my character defeat him for me. For me, that takes the enjoyment out of it all. It feels as if I'm dteached from my character, just sort of telling him what to do instead ofI can see how this would maybe appeal to those who enjoyed isometric RPGs the likes of Baldur's Gate and Diablo, but this game just didn't appeal to me. I don't like how I just have to click on an enemy and watch my character defeat him for me. For me, that takes the enjoyment out of it all. It feels as if I'm dteached from my character, just sort of telling him what to do instead of actually doing it, and in a modern game it feels outdated and boring. Aside from that, the voice acting is very subpar, and the whole thing just feels overly complex and behind its time. Expand
  50. Apr 15, 2015
    The game that is the SIGNATURE masterpiece from Bioware. From the opening notes of the theme, the whole game just sucks you in. I love the interplay with your companions and the difficult situations that continued throughout the ENTIRE game. There is just No WAY I can't give this a TEN.

I have played all of the Great Fantasy RPG's, including the Original Pen & Paper D&D and this the Greatest (Even greater than my beloved Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines)

A game worth more than THREE times its original $60 purchase price, GUARANTEED!!
  51. Apr 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought the game on disk when it came out, but I hadn't played it for a few years. I ran across the disk and started playing again. It is a very enjoyable game, but ... When I tried to update it, the game couldn't even find the disk in the drive. When I tried to download Ultimate, it gave fifteen error messages before I stopped counting. I contacted customer support and the guy started talking me through modifying and reloading files. He was prompt with the refund, and I suspect that was what he was most used to. When I went on li9ne I discovered this experience is common. Sometimes it runs, but they aren't going to fix it if it doesn't. In short, Bioware and EA support stinks and they don't seem to care. I won't buy anything with either label again. Expand
  52. Apr 1, 2015
    Very fun game. Very good story and choice and consequence. Interesting characters and political situation.

The controls and camera are good. The biggest negative is that weapons and equipment are class restricted in a very strict way. Rogues per definition use dual daggers or bow and cannot even equip a sword. I don't understand why this was necessary. Overall a very good game, much

Overall a very good game, much better than it's sequels! 8.3/10!
  53. Mar 15, 2015
    In my 30 years of gaming, Dragon Age Origins is my favourite game of all time. No other game has pulled me in and immersed me in the way this game did. With a brilliantly crafted game world, a cast of fascinating and likeable characters, multiple intersecting storylines, and well designed tactical party based combat Origins hits all the gameplay marks. If the game can be said to have anyIn my 30 years of gaming, Dragon Age Origins is my favourite game of all time. No other game has pulled me in and immersed me in the way this game did. With a brilliantly crafted game world, a cast of fascinating and likeable characters, multiple intersecting storylines, and well designed tactical party based combat Origins hits all the gameplay marks. If the game can be said to have any weakness, its that its graphics and animations are not particularly impressive, but they never detract from the enjoyment of the story and the characters.

I've completed it 17 times and I expect that I will play it a few more, I can't say much more to recommend it than that.
  54. Mar 14, 2015
    One of the best games ever. Great story, immersion, tactical combat, quests, graphic style, companions and NPCs. The only thing I didn't like: your character doesn't speak.
  55. Feb 2, 2015
    I am not the biggest fan of BioWare's combat systems, because with them I can hardly catch the perfect balance between real-time and take-turn. Also, the item system and interface is always a little bit tedious. Both are all well enough, though, but since I really think that gameplay is crucial, I can give this game only a 9 - but a fully deserved rating, thanks to its superior capabilityI am not the biggest fan of BioWare's combat systems, because with them I can hardly catch the perfect balance between real-time and take-turn. Also, the item system and interface is always a little bit tedious. Both are all well enough, though, but since I really think that gameplay is crucial, I can give this game only a 9 - but a fully deserved rating, thanks to its superior capability to immerse me into the world and it's characters. It's classy and entertaining - IF you like to spend hours in dialogs, like I do :) Expand
  56. Jan 14, 2015
    A testament to the old BioWare's epic storytelling and ability to create an immersive and captivating world like no other in the industry. You're immediately drawn in, with the Origins prologue making it feel like it's your story, your world you're in control in of. You can play through the game each time again and again and still get chills from multiple high points in the story.
  57. Jan 11, 2015
    Good RPG overall and a nice throwback to old hits like Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights. The story played out fairly well and I found a few characters somewhat interesting. Graphics were fine though nothing noteworthy and voice acting was fine. I liked the strategic elements where you can pause and organize your party to work together. For the most part, everything was above average inGood RPG overall and a nice throwback to old hits like Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights. The story played out fairly well and I found a few characters somewhat interesting. Graphics were fine though nothing noteworthy and voice acting was fine. I liked the strategic elements where you can pause and organize your party to work together. For the most part, everything was above average in the game and it was a memorable journey but there are a few things that could be better.

First, classes are somewhat dull except for mages. Mages are significantly more powerful than any other class in the game. They can be the best damage dealers, best healers, best tank and best control unit on the field, all at once if you build your mage well. Other classes are somewhat boring and very prototypical of any old RPG with exception to archers who are fodder in this game. In many ways, the classes in this game felt too old school. Back then we had limits due to technology but today you can you do better. There should have been more options, more classes, more weapons, etc. For that reason I cant rate it as high as its predecessors since it brought nothing new to the table.

Next, its a very linear game. Although this is not always bad, it does make replays very boring and I never did finish a replay of this game out of boredom. Everything is linear from enemies, to gear to maps. The only things that change are how you handle quests since you have more than one option. All that said, it is still much better than most console style jRPG's in terms of linearity.

Overall a good game. Well above average and a game that I might play again one day though not for a while.
  58. Jan 6, 2015
    From the creators of Mass Effect,we got a same caliber game in a medieval fantasy world.
    Awesome single-player RPG experience,with epic story and loveable characters.
    This game feels like its an alive real world.
    Must have for a hardcore RPG fan!
  59. Dec 30, 2014
    Loved the story and the game, until the final battle in Denerim, then it goes to hell in a hand basket. Nothing seems to work, spells are drastically weaker even melee seems to be broken and that's on easy. They made 2 patches for it but never fixed the final battle for the city, gave up on it since they put all their effort to DA2 which very few people liked.
  60. Dec 26, 2014
    epic game with great subplot's , I got kinda burnt out by the time I reached ozzamar but with the interesting npc cutscene's and the ability to play thru as many types of personalities , cant say enough about this game
  61. Dec 25, 2014
    Best game of the series, 9.5 / 10. Good story, good characters, good gameplay. The tactical camera is a very nice feature, it allows you to pause time and assign specific orders to each character.
  62. Dec 13, 2014
    Great game. It could be better optimised . Love the story and characters. Graphic not too amazing at that time but its ok.
    Voice acting is ok better than in Dragon age 2
  63. Dec 12, 2014
    I'm so glad I played this game before DA:I. The storyline is fantastic, characters as well (Morrigan i love u), and whether graphics and combat may seem a little outdated, the game is still wonderful and very addicting.
  64. Dec 10, 2014
    Dragon Age: Origins has a grand sense of scale with its epic, if a bit cliche story of slaying a big dragon who threatens the existence of all nice things in yet another fantasy world where city elves are subjucated, mages wear pajamas for armor and dwarves are drunks who are good at swinging battleaxes. There's nothing particularly original or groundbreaking in this RPG, but is still aDragon Age: Origins has a grand sense of scale with its epic, if a bit cliche story of slaying a big dragon who threatens the existence of all nice things in yet another fantasy world where city elves are subjucated, mages wear pajamas for armor and dwarves are drunks who are good at swinging battleaxes. There's nothing particularly original or groundbreaking in this RPG, but is still a thoroughly entertaining game nonetheless.

In general, the combat provides a nice strategic experience, though difficulty can sometimes be a little inconsistent. Writing is for the most part quite strong and most companions are fairly interesting, however depending on the order you complete the main quest, I find that some companions are introduced too late in the game for you to build a strong rapport with. My other negative would have to be the visuals which are a little outdated, even for 2009.

Overall rating: 8.4/10
  65. Dec 10, 2014
    An absolutely brilliant game that will remain a classic for all time. You really do struggle to find much fault in a world and game as well crafted as this. It is a labour of love - and it shows.

Jimbo Rating: 10/10
  66. Dec 5, 2014
    I had to replay Origins after the disappointment of Dragon Age 2, now I'm returning again after the disappointment of Inquisition... This was the last Bioware's child after being acquired by EA a 100% Bioware's RPG in the natural evolution from Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

By playing this game you feel the same deep RPG immersion when everything is in its placed and you are guided through a deep fantasy world, you get immersed in the story since the character creation, all dialogues makes you feel in an epic adventure and the gameplay is the same as Baldur's Gate but modernized with the isometric camera with an optional close point of view (unlike DA2 and Inquisition in which the isometric is an uncomfortable optional...).

The toolset is also in line with previous Neverwinter Nights tradition and it incredibly expanded this jewel of game (another feature lost by its successors). I've lost all hope in Bioware, they are in the ARPG way (which is not bad if is part of their soul like Bethesda's sagas, but coming from deep RPGs makers is a tragedy), now we have real RPGs like Divinity Original Sin or Torment: Tides of Numenera, and this last jewel of the original Bioware's soul to replay and mod time to time.
  67. Nov 30, 2014
    Dragon Age: Origins is exactly what I want from an RPG, or for that matter, any video game. It is constantly engaging. I never felt for a minute like there wasn't something to do. The crisis was just critical enough that I always felt like it needed to be attended to, but it wasn't so critical that doing a sidequest felt like a bad decision. The sidequests, always had at least a smallDragon Age: Origins is exactly what I want from an RPG, or for that matter, any video game. It is constantly engaging. I never felt for a minute like there wasn't something to do. The crisis was just critical enough that I always felt like it needed to be attended to, but it wasn't so critical that doing a sidequest felt like a bad decision. The sidequests, always had at least a small amount of their own story. I might be helping a mother missing her child, I might be saving the sacred animals of a tribe, or I might be helping the sheriff stop crime in the capital. Even if the execution of the quest was typical, the effort was there to make it seem like part of a real world. And that's what I want from a video game, a cohesive place that feels real. Asking me to kill 10 boars when the boars respawn infinitely feels stupid and breaks me out of a game. This game never feels that way. Once you kill enemies, they're dead. Characters have real wants and needs, and if you satisfy them, they'll be greatful, if you don't, they'll be mad. If I could ever play another game with this breadth and depth again I'd be happy, but I don't see it coming. Expand
  68. Nov 25, 2014
    With Dragon Age 2 being so horrendous, and Dragon Age Inquisition a dumbed down console piece of garbage I decided to come back to my favorite game ever back before EA ruined it.

I signed up just to give Origins a 10/10 and Inquisition a 0/10.
  69. Nov 23, 2014
    This is my personal opinion, so you should be aware, that your view of the game could differ.

+ Best story i have ever seen. + Good Character Development. + Immersion. + Tactical Combat. + Good Voice Acting. + High Replayability. + Unique Origins. +/- The Graphics arent the best. (But i dont really care about graphic) +/- AI is a bit..... well lets call it strange, but it

+ Best story i have ever seen.
    + Good Character Development.
    + Immersion.
    + Tactical Combat.
    + Good Voice Acting.
    + High Replayability.
    + Unique Origins.

+/- The Graphics arent the best. (But i dont really care about graphic)
    +/- AI is a bit..... well lets call it strange, but it doesn`t make the game unplayable.
    +/- Some parts of the story are a bit cliche.

- Combat is difficult to master (in the beginning.)
    - Your Char is a staring mute.... kinda scary.....
  70. Nov 22, 2014
    There are few "real" RPG, almost all are "Action-RPG" in which you fight with "player's skills", dodging and attacking with mouse and keyboard movements, except few ones like Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age Origins (not Dragon Age 2, of course). I will call them "Canonic-RPG" those in which your character fights "automatically" based only in its stats, not on player'sThere are few "real" RPG, almost all are "Action-RPG" in which you fight with "player's skills", dodging and attacking with mouse and keyboard movements, except few ones like Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age Origins (not Dragon Age 2, of course). I will call them "Canonic-RPG" those in which your character fights "automatically" based only in its stats, not on player's manipulation, you can love or hate this kind of RPG but one thing is true: there are so few of them, and this is one of the best, with two points of view (isometric and third person), an epic story with unforgettable moments, the "cinematic" dialogue from NWN2, and a solid toolset that allowed more than 2000 mods. What more could may be asked to a game? Expand
  71. Nov 21, 2014
    A masterpiece of gaming, Dragon Age: Origins is one of the best RPG games in history. From the start, you are pulled in to a unique and irresistible story line filled with unique and well-written companions and NPCs. Your choices can make all the difference in DAO, and never feels contrived. From the beginning to the end of the game, you will feel totally immersed in the Kingdom ofA masterpiece of gaming, Dragon Age: Origins is one of the best RPG games in history. From the start, you are pulled in to a unique and irresistible story line filled with unique and well-written companions and NPCs. Your choices can make all the difference in DAO, and never feels contrived. From the beginning to the end of the game, you will feel totally immersed in the Kingdom of Fereldon.

Pros:

-Solid plot and story arc
    -Exceptionally well written companions, with ample opportunity for character development
    -User decisions have real effect on the game
    -"Thought provoking" plot with many excellent commentaries on present day issues
    -Ability to experience several different locations/settings
    -Ability to have your experience shaped by user origin--your character's history has some impact on the game

Cons:

-No main character voice-over
    -Clunky crafting system

This game should be on any gamer's "must play" list!
  72. Nov 19, 2014
    This game is probably the last of the Bioware’s RPG legacy slowly corrode by Mass Effect saga and finally lost in Dragon Age 2, I hope Inquisition would return to that legacy but meanwhile Origins is the last "Canon-RPG". Unlike ARPGs as The Witcher, Skyrim, Divinity II and above (great games but in other category), in Origins you use your stats to fight, not your ability withThis game is probably the last of the Bioware’s RPG legacy slowly corrode by Mass Effect saga and finally lost in Dragon Age 2, I hope Inquisition would return to that legacy but meanwhile Origins is the last "Canon-RPG". Unlike ARPGs as The Witcher, Skyrim, Divinity II and above (great games but in other category), in Origins you use your stats to fight, not your ability with keyboard/mouse, you can like or hate this, but is only the system, and Origins is the best in this system. So, we already have dozens of good ARPGs to play, Origins is the last of its kind. Expand
  73. Nov 19, 2014
    Dragon Age Origins, A good start to the series, BioWare always puts 110% into there games for sure, story driven and decision making with real inpacts on your decisions ... is what makes this game what it is :)
  74. Nov 19, 2014
    Still an absolute gem of a game. The combat is just right and the story is engaging, especially the deep roads bit Would've loved to see more content being published for this, rather than 2 forgetable expansions.
  75. Nov 18, 2014
    Masterful. Epic in scope. Wonderful, wonderful characters. This is the RPG I was dreaming about. I did three complete play-throughs with different characters before I was satisfied and had a goofy grin on my face each time!
  76. Nov 14, 2014
    this game really raised the bar for roleplaying games to come with the most epic storyline and amazing voice acting i played this so many times that im 100% sure i squeezed every inch of gameplay out of it!
    ITS THAT GOOD! and the tactical combat system is really fantastic when you get use to it.

i would say you atleast have 100-300 hours of gameplay ahead of you
  77. Nov 12, 2014
    For those obsessed with open world (seems like everyone these days for some reason), this game is not for you. This game is about story, characters, and the choices you make. Which is absolutely fine by me. I don't need a huge expansive world with little density of activity. I want a smaller, richer world and Dragon Age delivers on that.

While the story is good, the prime draw here

While the story is good, the prime draw here is the characters and how invested you get in there own personal stories. Very few games can achieve the level of concern for the well-being of fictitious characters!

The choices you make in this game bleed over into the second (in limited ways) and the third (hopefully in more ways) games, giving you a sense that you really are shaping the world.

I love how tactical the combat is, something that gets somewhat lost in the sequel in favor of more action-oriented combat. Don't do that Bioware. Dragon Age should always have the option of tactical combat.

A few criticisms though. First, the graphics are strangely a little lacking for its time, and it holds up worse now. Second, the Fade section is a HUGE drag. I hope if we do Fade sections in the future they aren't like that! Third, I would have liked a more customizable tactics interface. As it is I rarely use the tactics menu because it's not effective enough to bother. Finally, costly DLC that affects the main story is a big no-no. DLC is only acceptable if it's for non-essential items.

This is still a great entry into the series, and I'd suggest anyone thinking about trying a Dragon Age game start here. While it doesn't have the polish of the Mass Effect games, it's still a very good game.
  78. Nov 2, 2014
    Its a perfect example how those small details make a good game into a perfect one. Story is great, most characters are fun and the world is atmospheric. In additions there's multiple tactics to build your party and different ways to do battle, even if head on charge is also a fine approach. If you liked Baldur's Gate then you are gonna love this. Only problem with this game is that I'veIts a perfect example how those small details make a good game into a perfect one. Story is great, most characters are fun and the world is atmospheric. In additions there's multiple tactics to build your party and different ways to do battle, even if head on charge is also a fine approach. If you liked Baldur's Gate then you are gonna love this. Only problem with this game is that I've had some unsolved crashing issues after some patching. Even still I can say I love it. And I can say its the best game I've ever played. Expand
  79. Oct 26, 2014
    This game is basically medieval KotOR.
    Story: Every quest is well written. The choices you make are difficult and thought provoking. There are some fantasy cliches here and there, but as a whole, the story is great.
    Graphics: Levels are your standard fantasy fare. Some costumes and weapon designs are interesting. Nothing really special to look at. Animations are awkward. Sound:
    This game is basically medieval KotOR.
    Sound: Excellent voice work supports the story very well. You will notice some of the same actors, though. The sound effects are average.
    Gameplay: Dragon's Age has absolutely dreadful game play start to finish mainly because the AI is completely useless. The tactics feature is an awesome idea in theory but fails because every fight is different. You'll basically have to control every action for four characters, and as soon as you switch to one, the others will run off and do something stupid. Dragon's Age is one of the most unbalanced games I've played in a long time. Hard mode is unplayable. The inventory system is useless because of the insane amount of items you pick up and the small carrying capacity. Leveling up is fun but often you'll be forced down a certain path with little room for wacky builds.

Dragon's Age could have been the tactical RPG that fans have been waiting for but poor AI, lackluster feel, and poor design cripple it. Play it if you enjoyed KotOR or if you like fantasy stories, otherwise skip it.
  80. Oct 19, 2014
    Even though the combat system has some room for fixes, Dragon Age: Origins has an compelling storyline with developed characters, and creative origins.
  81. Oct 14, 2014
    To cut a long story short, this is a game worthy of the western RPG legacy. I had never thought of creating an account to review games, but the outrage and propaganda around Dragon Age prompted me to do it. The rating for this game is 9.1.
    This is a correct rating, as this game plays in the tradition of the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights series. It includes all features expected in an RPG of this sort, most notably in terms of gameplay.
    BUY IT. BUY THE EXPANSIONS.
    DO NOT BUY ITS DISGRACEFUL SEQUEL that managed to humiliate Bioware, alienate the fan base of RPG games and ultimately destroy the best thing in RPGs since Baldur's Gate II.
    There is one lesson to be learnt from the Dragon Age game series: If there is a fan base, there is something that people love. If people love something, sell it to them. Do not try to make it common, so that more people will buy it. Not everything needs to be sold to everyone.
    You can destroy customer satisfaction, as long as you do not destroy customer loyalty: everyone would settle with a DA2 that would be very similar, if not identical with the first, as long as it gave to people those things that made them loyal to the franchise and the legacy it represents.
    Change these things, and you lose your customers' loyalty. It no longer matters if your end product is good or bad, because it has become IRRELEVANT.
  82. Oct 14, 2014
    Very, very good. Interesting locations, NPCs, quests and storyline. Great character customization options, even for your NPC party members. Even pulls off humor with surprising frequency. There are one or two minor niggles, like the fact some NPC companions start off with sub-optimal skillsets, but that can be fixed with mods. All in all, one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Just don'tVery, very good. Interesting locations, NPCs, quests and storyline. Great character customization options, even for your NPC party members. Even pulls off humor with surprising frequency. There are one or two minor niggles, like the fact some NPC companions start off with sub-optimal skillsets, but that can be fixed with mods. All in all, one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Just don't bother with the sequel, DA2 isn't as good as this. Expand
  83. Oct 11, 2014
    I eagerly followed the development of this game, then hated it. It was so formulaic, unoriginal and limited. Role-playing games are about exploration and surprises. Locations were limited and the dialogue very poor, especially in comparison with The Witcher.

I am giving it another go with all the content added.

I am holding out for Pillars of Eternity.
  84. Oct 3, 2014
    If you're looking for an action packed, thrilling adventure that you feel completely immersed in... look elsewhere.
    The combat is pretty much in pause mode 90% of the time if you want to get anywhere in the game.
    The graphics look like they're from 2005 at best. The voice acting and character rigging are both awful in every way. The character progression doesnt feel like it has much
    The graphics look like they're from 2005 at best.
    The voice acting and character rigging are both awful in every way.

The character progression doesnt feel like it has much meaning, most skills dont really combo with others and the passives tree(if you can call it a tree) is basically "here's the thing that lets you use that useless crap in your inventory, here's the thing the lets you steal so you can afford items etc." and you just keep making the one passive slightly better with each point, gated by your attribute points so you HAVE to build you character a certain way to a point.

Overall, this is a rather biased opinion since i cant stand turnbased games, it is pretty much a turnbased RPG with a mediocre storyline, last decades graphics and a skill tree that has no real choice to it other than "do I get this now? or in a few hours?"
    So if you're looking for a rather slowpaced rpg where the most interesting part of the game is the ending and the rest is just wading through the rubbish left to that point... this is the game for you.
    I here Dragon Age 2 is good, ill go check that out instead
  85. Sep 21, 2014
    + A lot of customization
    + Decent Graphics for 2009
    + Some likeable characters and a lot of character interaction + good voiceacting + good story execution + long playtime (60-90 hours) - combat fells slow and boring - story couldn't be more generic (chosen hero saves world from big bad evil) - according to bioware "dark, mature" rpg, but if neither feels dark nor mature. Seems
    + A lot of customization
    + Decent Graphics for 2009
    + Some likeable characters and a lot of character interaction
    + good voiceacting
    + good story execution
    + long playtime (60-90 hours)

- combat fells slow and boring
    - story couldn't be more generic (chosen hero saves world from big bad evil)
    - according to bioware "dark, mature" rpg, but if neither feels dark nor mature. Seems more written towards 15 years old boys and girls.
    - Music didn't impress me (bothing outstanding)
    Overall 6/10- decent game with some problems
  86. Aug 20, 2014
    Fantastic RPG and return of Bioware to the top form. After the ultimate masterpieces of Baldurs Gate saga, most people, including me, were a bit disappointed with Neverwinter Nights, ugly 3D visuals, no full party, average characters, typical story etc. Everything is back in top form business with Dragon Age: Origins, this is that memorable fantasy RPG experience fans were hoping for. InFantastic RPG and return of Bioware to the top form. After the ultimate masterpieces of Baldurs Gate saga, most people, including me, were a bit disappointed with Neverwinter Nights, ugly 3D visuals, no full party, average characters, typical story etc. Everything is back in top form business with Dragon Age: Origins, this is that memorable fantasy RPG experience fans were hoping for. In some cases it even goes beyond the original BG, extremely strong and interesting party members and their reactions to your decisions and interactions between each other, very hard story decisions, nice new party camp system and selection of your current active squad or completely different story starts based on the selection of your character, these are the reasons to love DA:O. Extensive world, full map to travel tons of quests and about 100 hours of gameplay it took me to finish everything including all the side quests, which is pretty impressive amount of content. I loved the story and the way this game includes you directly in it, this is the thing Bioware does best and it especially shines here. Very challenging fights even on normal difficulty, that makes you use tactics and abilities of all your party members to maximum and PC interface and visuals of all inventory stuff or skills and spells, this is the way I like it, even sub-specializations of all classes was a very nice thing how to spice things up. My only minor gripe would be music, which apart from a few main themes with female vocals that were very nice, wasn't very memorable and in case of battle music even annoying. Audio balance is also broken in the original game making the combat music too loud and ambient too quiet which I had to fix by installing mods, but even despite this I enjoyed this game 100% because it gave me that true and pure fantasy RPG experience that I love so much. 9/10 Expand
  87. Aug 18, 2014
    This game is consuming me for hours, great story, nice tactical combat and pretty required to play in hard + difficult. BioWare with your D&D games makes people like me who love RPG games with lot of features very happy,
  88. Aug 16, 2014
    A classic that is still the benchmark today for true RPG. Everything comes together in such magical ways that words cannot describe. It is an enchanting,enthralling,epic adventure that you'll never forget.

Graphics=9
    Music=10
    Gameplay=9
    Story=10
  89. Aug 16, 2014
    One of the best games I ever played.T he game give you lots of choice. Some of the best voice acting i ever heard. The conversations between characters wile you go places is so much fun to listen too. So if your a medieval fan this game you will not want to miss. It has all the swords, mythical beasts, and armor you could want.
  90. Aug 13, 2014
    The only thing I don't like about this game is the combat animations. Anyone swinging a two handed weapon looks absolutely ridiculous. But everything else in this game is a solid 10. Except maybe the dialog system. Your character never speaks ala Mass Effect. Instead you pick full text responses to everything. Which is ok, just could be better.

While some criticize Dragon Age Origins as

While some criticize Dragon Age Origins as being an RPG-lite experience, I really don't care. Yes it's not Skyrim with an infinite world to explore but the leveling system is hands down better. It's very similar to major mmo rpgs with talent trees and 5 base stats to level. It's not really balanced but being single player it doesn't need to be. Variety is fun, trying different things with all the classes is fun. The items also leave a bit to be desired as some really low level items have +damage on them which makes them better than items 10 levels higher. It just seems off and could use a few tweaks but it's not bad by any means.

Even though the world is not open it's still plenty large and the story line is amazing. And it's all propped up by rich backstory and development of the world. You really feel like Ferelden is a very real place with all it's history and imperfections.

If you haven't played this game you really just have to try it. You will not regret it.
  91. Jul 12, 2014
    My number one favorite game of all time! I am one who loves RPG fantasy games, and this one takes the cake for one of the best RPG games I've ever played. Sure, the plot isn't exactly something new, but somehow, all the elements of the game work together to make an epic, well-rounded game.
  92. Jul 9, 2014
    A mediocre role-playing game with nice looking graphics and cringeworthy story and characters, but may be worth playing if you're desperate for another game like Baldur's Gate.
  93. Jun 19, 2014
    I've spoken with one of the bad reviewers of this game in an MMO I play. According to him, Skyrim is the definition of an RPG and this game doesn't qualify...too much story, talking, companion play, and lack of OP snipe instakill your enemies from afar. Anything less than those graphics or that level of openended play is just a disgrace. Quite frankly, I get bored with Skyrim afterI've spoken with one of the bad reviewers of this game in an MMO I play. According to him, Skyrim is the definition of an RPG and this game doesn't qualify...too much story, talking, companion play, and lack of OP snipe instakill your enemies from afar. Anything less than those graphics or that level of openended play is just a disgrace. Quite frankly, I get bored with Skyrim after about L40...too easy and too repetitive, and the story is kind of meh. I've yet to finish it. If you like a good story, lore, Bioware, and witty banter, then play this game.

TACTICS REQUIRED. For anyone who has ever played an MMORPG and just /facepalmed in a raid because folks are asleep at the helm, you'll love the combat here. You can pause at your whim and tell everyone exactly what to do and when to do it. It's refreshing. Being Bioware with their Baldur/Neverwinter background, friendly fire is a thing. You can't just easy mode spam stack AoE on the party and steamroll. You can't fireball the entire group because you will blow up your companions too unless you put some planning into it. Boo hoo. I don't play on anything less than nightmare and it's good. Just difficult enough to keep it interesting...if you're not a steamroll fanatic.

If you can only have fun in combat when you can faceroll through every fight, then you will hate this game.

COMPANIONS: Great voice acting. The bickering. The camaraderie. The romance. This piece makes the game so much more enjoyable than something like Skyrim which is a kind of quiet and lonely place. Much thought went into the dialogue here, well beyond taking an arrow to the knee. Want new dialogue? Mix and match your party members. Each combination queues different dialogues. And no, they're not on repeat.

THE LORE: I usually get bored here. I usually skip this part, spam through text and get to the fighting. DA did it right, built a world on some very simple ideas and went deep with those simple ideas. Mages and their power inspired an entire religion and legal system and not to their advantage which saturates the landscape of Thedas, as one example. Your companions reactions to one another add more nuance to the perceptions of this world.

THE GRAPHICS: Yes, there's some clunkiness. If you've played NWN2 or any other Bioware game you'll recognize the circles around the feet of your companions and such. Combat is similar to these older games when it comes to stabbing something with a dagger. Spells...fast and easy. If story and game immersion > graphics for you, you just won't care. I still play Neverwinter Nights 1 on occasion, so, meh. The polish of this game isn't in the graphics, it's in the gameplay, story, and characters, which is as it should be. Quality over mere visual distraction.

REPLAYABILITY: Yes. And then some.
  94. Jun 9, 2014
    Usually, I am very lenient when it comes to RPGs, being my most favorite genre. In spite of this, I have to admit, this game is revolutionary and mindblowing. Here are the reasons why.

1.) Gameplay and storyline are addicting. Do you know the feeling when you get addicted to a game so much that you learn to hate activities that draw you away from the PC (such as eating and peeing)? Also, do you know the feeling when you finish a game and become "hungover" because the game is so goddamn amazing? Well if you do not know it yet, then start playing this.
    2.) The characters and character dialogue also add up to the coolness of this game. Oh, did i mention that this RPG also has some romance in it?
    3.) DAO combines three very important aspects of gameplay: quick reflexes, strategic thinking, and the ability to remain calm and think wisely even though 3 out of the 4 members of your party are already dead.

However, the only downside of this game (in my opinion) are the graphics. It CAN be improved.
  95. Jun 3, 2014
    Fantastic game, interesting characters, great story, good voice acting (mostly) and some pretty good graphics and game play. It is not earth shattering but it is really, really good.
  96. May 27, 2014
    DAO is a very good RPG with, as always in Bioware games, a great storyline. Although it can be hard to get into, once you are comfortable with the controls the game starts to shine.

The Good: - Excellent story and an interesting world - Voice acting is well done - Squad mates can be hilarious at times - The character creator is interesting, although not advanced - Plenty of mods

The Good:
    - Excellent story and an interesting world
    - Voice acting is well done
    - Squad mates can be hilarious at times
    - The character creator is interesting, although not advanced
    - Plenty of mods that add more to the game or adjust gameplay

The Bad:
    - It can be a challenging game to the point of frustration and there is no dificulty setting for those who just want to experience the story [without mods]
    - Combat is quite slow and there is not much item variation to spice it
    - The player character is not voice acted

Neutral:
    - Graphics are not state of the art even for it's release in 09... Not a bad thing but some people seem to really hate that
  97. May 26, 2014
    Dragon Age: Origins (along with Diablo I & II, and Skyrim) is one of my favourites RPG of all times.

Unlike some others RPG, it can be played again and again, with completely different stories (I think there's a total of 6 main stories, each one offering approximately 40h of gameplay), depending on the character (race, class and background) that you choose. This is an absolutely amazing achievement that gives you so many hours of entertainment, with very diifferent and rich scripts in each story.

One of my favourite features is the complex, yet simple, strategy and tactis mechanics, where you can pause the game, give a set of orders to your individual characters of the party, and then un-pause it to follow up the action, changing from above the shoulder to top camera as you like.

I give this game a solid 10.
  98. May 24, 2014
    DAO fails at three important things - story, engaging gameplay and any kind of morality-based choice.

Sure, there is a lot of lore. But (just like in every other Bioware game, unfortunately) it's not that important. Yay, dwarves! Ancient race! Thaigs! Golems! Story! Shapers! Stone! Now go and kill 718 foozles, you lousy Grey Warden. Because Dwarves are your sworn allies and not in any kind of trouble, but, you know, the plot compels you to go through the Deep Roads and GET YOUR RECOMMENDED DAILY AMOUNT OF LORE!

And the combat is downright bad. Your AI companions must be repeatedly programmed to do things in a "If ... then ... " fashion and you have a limited amount of tactics slots per character (does that sound stupid? It is). As for the main character - it's Baldur's Gate all over again. You swing your weapon, numbers fly out, but enemies don't react to your swinging at all. Unit collision is horrendous and playing a rogue or warrior is a recipe for boredom because they have zero AoE and 90% of the fights are against 5+ enemies. So you are much better off going as a mage, who has all the crowd control and MASSIVE AoE at his/her disposal.

Choice, again, is all grey and grey. No matter whether you are good or evil - every decision can be justified from either standpoint. I understand undertones, but this is ridiculous.

In the end, DA:O could be a good RPG, but the overabundance of tedium, amount of fighting vs. actual story and the plot-induced invisible walls kill any sort of enthusiasm for it.
  99. May 21, 2014
    The best RPG game I ever played.
    The best RPG game I ever played.
    People who don't like fighting system in Bioware games might not be comfortable with it (pausing the game during combat and choosing what will the four characters in the party do by clicking at icons with different abilities). But I can't imagine that it would make somebody stop playing the game, because the story, the world, the atmosphere and most of the characters are awesome.
    I would define the story as semi-linear, because it will go the same way, but you choose the means. Only non-linear parts of the game are prolog and epilog.
  100. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    This game does everything brilliantly: the story, the pacing, the levels, the gameplay & the visuals, especially if you haven't played a BioWare RPG before or thought they were too complex and boring.

1. If you're into rpgs, or rather if you love roleplaying in general, there's really no need to waste time reading any reviews of this game. The same goes if you regard games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 and the Baldurs Gate-series among the best computer games ever made. Because this game is everything a person like you look for in a game, and so much more. Be aware though, Dragon Age: Origins is not a revolution of the genre, rather it is an evolution, where Bioware has refined everything that made them into a formula as close to perfection as possible. Without a doubt one of the strongest Game of the year-candidates so far this year and a game we will remember with warm feelings many years to come.
  2. PC Gamer
    An outstanding story-driven RPG with fantastic writing, RPG depth and tough tactical combat. It's BioWare's best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. [Holiday 2009, p.38]
  3. Dragon Age Origins will keep you in front of your computer for hours! Graphics, sounds and the controls couldn’t be much better!