• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: Apr 17, 2006
8.6

1. Aug 5, 2011
    Dreamfall has a very engaging story until toward the end when the story just abruptly ends. Very confusing. Where are the Cliffs notes? Aside from a confusing ending, the graphics were great, hats off to the artists. The puzzles detracted from the story and had nothing to do with the storyline, which is probably typical for an adventure game. But this wasn't much of and adventure game anyway, just a story pretending to be an adventure game. Expand
  2. Jul 2, 2011
    I own over 125 PC games and have been playing PC games since they came on floppy discs and ran on Dos with 640k memory. Having said that, I've played a lot of great games, and a lot of BAD games. Then there is the LONGEST Journey. I'm assuming it's titled that because playing this game seems that way when you are fighting with controls to move around in the game, and listening to continued talks between strangers and friends. This is not a GAME. It's a Cartoon Movie. Any potential game play was KILLED by extremely poor controls. Expand
  3. Jan 24, 2012
    This is not a game. It is a slightly interactive movie. It's maybe one or two steps more advanced than clicking a "Next" button to watch the next cutscene. Most of the input from the player-- I mean, viewer, consists of running through towns to the next cutscene. There are a handful of symbol puzzles. There are also a number of interactive "world" puzzles, but all of these have either painfully obvious solutions, or are clunky and tiresome. The story takes a long, long time to get good (I was bored witless for about 80% of it). But it does get good, very good, eventually. Right when it gets good, however, it ends. None of the plot's major elements come to a conclusion and this immediately sours and frustrates what little enjoyment I recieved from this gam-... movie. Don't pay more for this than you would for a night at the movies, popcorn included. Expand
  4. Nov 10, 2011
    I consider myself a fan of the original title, The Longest Journey - it had a unique atmosphere, captivating storytelling, likable characters and much more. It was a rewarding experience to play this game and that time was definitely not wasted for me. This title also has a replay value, although of course, it doesn't offer any new content or new ways of solving puzzles, but it's the kind of game that I like to play again from time to time (time being measured in years) and still enjoy myself while doing so. It's a very good relaxant. I am sure though, that this kind of title generally has more appeal to female audience than to a male one. / I was looking forward to the sequel, but that was probably because I hadn't been seeking any gameplay-related information in advance. If only I had known... / The game was fine at first, only to gradually get worse and worse. Fighting in TLJ? Really? And of course, also a pretty lame one. Why put that there? So the console users would feel satisfied about having at least some action and wouldn't run away to let off their steam elsewhere? The biggest problem though - at certain point, the game stopped being a game and turned into an interactive movie. Also, the storyline... I can't comment about the inconsistencies with the prequel because it has been quite a long time since I played both games (and when I was playing Dreamfall, I didn't remember all the nuances of the original title to be able to compare the storylines perfectly). But I must say, seeing April again was dissatisfying and her character was only a shell of her old self (which is understandable, given the circumstances, but still... a letdown) and the ending was depressing and clearly prepared for a next installment. / What bothers me about this (apart from what I already mentioned), is that some imagination was clearly still present here - e.g. nice and interesting environments, but for some reason, it's full potential was not unleashed. It's always sad to see there WAS some idea, but the team failed in delivering what they were supposed to deliver in terms of gameplay. / I am definitely not looking forward to another TLJ title (if any will be produced), because I don't believe that anything is going to change here, even though a lot of criticism has been voiced towards the creators. Seems to me like the authors are just milking the fame of the original game and they want to happily continue doing so. /
    I am giving this game a 4 (I considered giving it a 5) - the main reason for it being a lack of gameplay. I don't want to support a trend of movies posing as adventure games. And of course, the re-playability I mentioned in the beginning drops to zero for me with this title.
  5. May 14, 2012
    Gosh! That game really sucks....ugly character design,stiff animations and poor backgrounds!
    The graphic "designers" must have come straight from school...TERRIBLE !!!
    ( like: YEAH ! I am soooo proud of me....i can create a 3d model....i never was good in school but
    the computer makes me feel like a real artist !! )) LOOOOL !!! Just talent-free wannabe´s !!
    The story
    has been told like 1000 times....boring ! Stupid dialogues all the time.....

The only good thing is: I like norway......
  6. Nov 10, 2011

Edited down to a tight package this could probably make a pretty good machinima feature (or Sci-Fi original motion picture for that matter). But as a game, it fails.
    Dreamfall is an amazing journey that propels players into a world where science, magic, art, and music combine to make a whole much greater than the sum of its parts.
  3. Where Dreamfall excels is in telling a story. The imaginative characters and locations are truly memorable and create a unique experience that makes the ride more enjoyable than the destination.