Dreamfall: The Longest Journey PC

• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: Apr 17, 2006
8.6

1. Jul 17, 2012
    Dreamfall may be the strangest game sequel ever. The gameplay, the graphical style, the character you play for most of the game, and the tone are all different from the original Longest Journey. And yet it is still very much a sequel, with some of the same characters (and a few important new ones) living in the same world(s), with enough common plot points and historical details to make itDreamfall may be the strangest game sequel ever. The gameplay, the graphical style, the character you play for most of the game, and the tone are all different from the original Longest Journey. And yet it is still very much a sequel, with some of the same characters (and a few important new ones) living in the same world(s), with enough common plot points and historical details to make it clear that you haven't accidentally bought the wrong game with a similar title. But still, it's a third-person 3D interface instead of point-and-click. It has little of the Longest Journey's snarky humor (except when Crow and Roper make their welcome reappearances), making the game feel somewhat darker. And because the humor is limited to characters you encounter, rather than the primary character you inhabit, the game feels a lot more serious overall. Also, the added freedom of exploring a 3D virtual world is offset by less interactivity; you have fewer choices, and your choices have fewer significant effects, than in the Longest Journey. Dreamfall comes close to being an "interactive movie," as other reviewers have described it. In short, I enjoyed Dreamfall very much, but not for any of the same reasons I enjoyed the Longest Journey. It is simply an engrossing story set in an interesting world with enough ties to its predecessor to feel pleasantly familiar. If you prefer combat and/or a high degree of non-linearity, look elsewhere. Expand
  2. May 11, 2013
    Note I won't be comparing it to the first game in the series.
    Dreamfall is a third person action adventure game (more adventure than action) which takes place in literally 2 worlds, Stark (technocratic) and Arcadia (Magical) and concerns itself with two main plots and a variety of subplots.
    What i liked : - Straightforward simple puzzles, none of the esoteric logic some other adventure
    Note I won't be comparing it to the first game in the series.
    What i liked :
    - Straightforward simple puzzles, none of the esoteric logic some other adventure games have.
    -Beautiful world and superb aesthetics. These places do feel familiar if they would've existed. Nothing looks too out of place and thus doesn't draw away from the immersion of the game.From Casablanca in stark to Marcuria in Arcadia, they all look equally wonderful and imaginative.
    -Stealth sections. Now compared to other reviews i didn't mind them. A couple of them have a puzzle sense to them (ie a different way to be steathy). Even if you don't like them, you can still complete them
    What i didn't like :
    -Combat It feels weak and rather random if you happen to hit the enemy or visa versa. It honestly seems tacked on.
    -CLIFFHANGER ENDING Now the good part is, at least 1 major plot gets resolved, but the game opens several others and doesn't bother to close them. AND THERE WAS NO SEQUEL IN THE NEXT 3 YEARS that really took 1 point off the total score.

Overall, if you like an engaging narrative you'll like Dreamfall. You may not love it, but still like it. A 7/10 from me
  3. JulesR.
    Jan 17, 2007
    I think this game is not a game, it's more than it, it's deeper. I didn't know a game before this one which show me something different than usually the other games did. I find that it is one of the best game I ever played. But it is not a 'perfect game', indeed, we can easily say that this game may be prefer by girls than boys. It is a consequence of the I think this game is not a game, it's more than it, it's deeper. I didn't know a game before this one which show me something different than usually the other games did. I find that it is one of the best game I ever played. But it is not a 'perfect game', indeed, we can easily say that this game may be prefer by girls than boys. It is a consequence of the sentimental dimension of the story (Reza -Jericho- & Cavanaugh). Therefore to conclued, I say that Dreamfall is a good game and it change with the others (for real 'males'). Even if I'm a boy. So good game and why not Dreamfall 3? Expand
  4. ClaudiaH.
    Jan 7, 2007
    Not as good as the original. Movement action unnecessarily awkward and few puzzles to solve make this sequel just okay but not great.
  5. kristinlynn
    Jul 22, 2009
    I have a huge PROBLEM with the ending!!! Basically everyone dies and the bad guys (WatiCorp) win and release 'Dreamtime'.....are you serious?!?! I have never been so upset at the end of a game as I was about 5 minutes ago!
    Other than that.....the storyline and visuals were wonderful and enchanting....which is the only reason why I didn't throw the game out my window and yell, lol
  6. HS
    Jun 7, 2006
    Im currently playing dreamfall and although simple its still quite enjoyable. But as a fan of the longest journey im dissapointed. I have been playing adventure games for around 16 years and I really cant say that this game will be getting anywhere near the list of my favourites. Older games such as monkey island series, Grim fandango, Blade runner and the longest journey offer so much Im currently playing dreamfall and although simple its still quite enjoyable. But as a fan of the longest journey im dissapointed. I have been playing adventure games for around 16 years and I really cant say that this game will be getting anywhere near the list of my favourites. Older games such as monkey island series, Grim fandango, Blade runner and the longest journey offer so much more. Overall im just dissapointed that from the makers of such a wonderful original comes a fairly drab sequel. I also find that I cant really feel any empathy for zoe. Something this has inspired me to do is get the longest journey out again and prove they can create a wonderful game. If they do follow this up I hope they return to the originals roots in gameplay, puzzles and actually when I think about it presentation. Expand
  7. Sam
    Feb 1, 2007
    A fantastic storyline and good graphics. The fight scenes are annoying and the ending is very disappointing though.
    May 2, 2006
    [bad points] A lot more like an interactive movie than a game. Story was badly written, especially the end. It looked like they complicated the story so much, that in the end they didn't know quite how to explain it. I didn't like to keep switching characters, it took me out of the story, with the continous switching, especially since the story was hidden, yet to be revealed! [bad points] A lot more like an interactive movie than a game. Story was badly written, especially the end. It looked like they complicated the story so much, that in the end they didn't know quite how to explain it. I didn't like to keep switching characters, it took me out of the story, with the continous switching, especially since the story was hidden, yet to be revealed! It's was frustrating. [good points] The grapics, the sounds, the animation, the gadgets. Expand
  9. SeanM.
    Jan 22, 2007
    Dreamfall isn't a game; if you want a game, move on. The entire thing could have been easily done in a Myst-like format and been none the worse for it. The scenery is stunning, the characters are cute and engaging, the story is a bit of a Lifetime movie but still good, and the music could be worse. On the other hand, the character animation is painfully bad, the melee system doubly Dreamfall isn't a game; if you want a game, move on. The entire thing could have been easily done in a Myst-like format and been none the worse for it. The scenery is stunning, the characters are cute and engaging, the story is a bit of a Lifetime movie but still good, and the music could be worse. On the other hand, the character animation is painfully bad, the melee system doubly so, and the puzzles don't need much thought. A lot of people complain about the ending, but it felt like a well encapsulated story arc to me. Just remember that the narrative doesn't begin or end here. Expand
  10. JW
    Feb 21, 2007
    It is a good game and its a bit short. I beat it in 12 hours. I will be thinking about the next release if there is one.
  11. AlexL.
    Jun 20, 2007
    This game is great in many ways, but ultimately hugely disappointing. The graphics are incredible, the gameplay system (including fighting) well crafted. The plot is clever (although involving an unfeasible number of beautiful female characters), the acting mostly good. But 'anonymous's review is quite right. There is just not enough game. There are a handful of bits of proper This game is great in many ways, but ultimately hugely disappointing. The graphics are incredible, the gameplay system (including fighting) well crafted. The plot is clever (although involving an unfeasible number of beautiful female characters), the acting mostly good. But 'anonymous's review is quite right. There is just not enough game. There are a handful of bits of proper adventure, problem solving etc. But it is mostly just walking from one location to another in order to have very long and involved conversations with people. Zoe's refreshing attitude soon gets lost. This is like a mildy interactive film. If that's what you want, then fine. Otherwise, go back to playing Monkey Island. Expand
  12. NoSpamNoSpam
    Nov 6, 2006
    The first part was just awesome and probably one of the greatest game I've ever played. But, the end of Dreamfall is so disappointing and meaningless, that it's leaving a bad feeling at the end.
  13. GeneralL.
    Aug 28, 2006
    I was a fan of the original and was pretty sure I'd love Dreamfall when I bought it. But I didn't. Sure the story is well done, but the whole part that takes place in Arcadia is completely useless, and the ending is so frustrating that its apparent purpose, to make you buy the sequel, was completely reversed in my case, it made sure I didn't ever spend money on a game of I was a fan of the original and was pretty sure I'd love Dreamfall when I bought it. But I didn't. Sure the story is well done, but the whole part that takes place in Arcadia is completely useless, and the ending is so frustrating that its apparent purpose, to make you buy the sequel, was completely reversed in my case, it made sure I didn't ever spend money on a game of this series. The game should have been a movie, only if it had been, all the parts you're actually playing would have been cut, as they're the most uninteresting and straightforward parts of the game. Everything of import happens in the (LONG) cutscenes. To be fair, the 3d environments and voice acting are well done, even if the character themselves are badly animated. Expand
  14. JohnH.
    Nov 29, 2007
    The story is the game..and if you like girls in underwear it will add to the experience. However, there is not much of a game. Most of the time playing this I was passive following a good interactive story. I'd love to see how the story evolves from here but I don't mind watching it on VHS/DVD.
  15. EricG.
    Feb 11, 2007
    Excellent storyline, well assembled and executed. Some dialogue sequences are too long and drawn-out; and the combat controls are absolutely pathetic. But, in all I would say its worth playing, but not twice.
  16. IkeM.
    Mar 29, 2007
    Graphics OK, good music, good voice acting. Gameplay is very linear and allows no deviation from the main path. You have no influence at all at the end - which is a cliffhanger. I hate this kind of ending. It's ok for free-tv series, but in computer games this just sucks.
  17. Mike
    Mar 6, 2007
    There are numerous things I don't like about this game. 1. The graphics are decent, but they are not even close to HL2, especially the close ups of faces. 2. The gameplay is VERY linear!! There is nothing to explore. It seems very closed. 3. two of the voice overs are just terrible! How could they pass these voice? 4. annoying running around for example, getting the spices. What a There are numerous things I don't like about this game. 1. The graphics are decent, but they are not even close to HL2, especially the close ups of faces. 2. The gameplay is VERY linear!! There is nothing to explore. It seems very closed. 3. two of the voice overs are just terrible! How could they pass these voice? 4. annoying running around for example, getting the spices. What a waste of time! Overall. If you're into boring adventure games, then you can give it a try. Otherwise stay away from this game! Expand
  18. HighVoltage
    Jun 3, 2007
    Everything is pretty good; however, the graphics SUCK! I mean... just look at the renders and you'll see what I mean. Next, this is a great quest genre game, but its nothing compared to Neverwinter Nights, Oblivion or even Morrowind. You dont have any "side quests"... I'd say this is an "OK" game, but the thing that pisses me off aobut it is absolutely no "freedom". All I can Everything is pretty good; however, the graphics SUCK! I mean... just look at the renders and you'll see what I mean. Next, this is a great quest genre game, but its nothing compared to Neverwinter Nights, Oblivion or even Morrowind. You dont have any "side quests"... I'd say this is an "OK" game, but the thing that pisses me off aobut it is absolutely no "freedom". All I can conclude from this is that people that made this game did not take their time and were just rushing. If any of you guys whoever made this game ever read this: my advice - next time take your time on the graphics and side quests. Thats probably the main reason why Bioware's games rock - they take their time. So I voted 6/10. 2 problems - poor graphics, and everything is right according to the story... Expand
  19. RezaA.
    Jan 1, 2008
    I loved Longest journey and was looking forward to this game for years but dreamfall disappointed me! good game but not a great game as longest journey.
  20. Nov 3, 2013
    Fantastic writing, amazing setting, characterization and storyline are superb, the audio is also amazing. So why am I giving it a mere "7" you ask. Well, sadly the game mechanics themselves are a little clunky, especially the fighting. However the story is so good it's worth playing anyway. As to how good it is in comparison with the original? Well, I haven't played that yet so I couldn't say.
  21. Apr 24, 2012
    Whilst some aspects of this game continue from the original (nice look-and-feel, good music and I thought the voice acting just fine), it is let down by some very poor choices. I don't mind the moving controls, but the fighting is horrendous (-1), if you sort out out to move and swing, you win every fight easy. The puzzles are also repetitive or dull (-1), and the end, sheesh, even if theyWhilst some aspects of this game continue from the original (nice look-and-feel, good music and I thought the voice acting just fine), it is let down by some very poor choices. I don't mind the moving controls, but the fighting is horrendous (-1), if you sort out out to move and swing, you win every fight easy. The puzzles are also repetitive or dull (-1), and the end, sheesh, even if they were thinking of a sequel, it is still a really bad and inconclusive ending (-2). It's better to warn people so. That aside, it still entertains in terms of a game, story is enjoyable, and you are interested in getting to the end. For $10 or less, not a bad game to add to the collection. Expand
  22. Mar 3, 2012
    It's a pity I couldn't actually finish Dreamfall, since it seemed like a great retro game that could stand the test of time! Unfortunately showstopper bugs and the juxtaposition of insanely easy puzzles and insanely difficult ones, made the game less appealing than its predecessor.
  23. Oct 22, 2013
    This game needs more mixed reviews. It's a decent spin off that doesn't quite live up to its predecessor. It's less memorable, less immersive and quirky. And it's gameplay is really boring. If you can look past its shortcomings it's a beautiful game with a captivating story. (Story that is to be concluded in Dreamfall Chapters).
    Also, the first game was definitely more daring, but
    Also, the first game was definitely more daring, but Dreamfall stays mature in the way it deals with difficult occurrences, and the more complex, blurry motives of its characters. No hand holding in this regard. Intriguing.
  24. Jan 12, 2014
    Dreamfall: TLJ is a 3-d third-person point and click adventure game. The game is a sequel to a classic adventure game released in 1998 called The Longest Journey. It is not necessary to play the original TLJ to play Dreamfall, but it helps a lot, since the game universe and many characters are the same. The game is very heavy on story, dialogue, and cinematics, and light on puzzles andDreamfall: TLJ is a 3-d third-person point and click adventure game. The game is a sequel to a classic adventure game released in 1998 called The Longest Journey. It is not necessary to play the original TLJ to play Dreamfall, but it helps a lot, since the game universe and many characters are the same. The game is very heavy on story, dialogue, and cinematics, and light on puzzles and gameplay.

Story: the story is both the best and the worst I have ever seen in an adventure game. In the last two years I have completed 12 adventure games including old classics and modern indies. Dreamfall has a very complex and compelling story involving several interesting characters, political movements, and the complex game universe. It includes elements of comedy, drama, and tragedy. The story really gathers steam toward the end, resolving one storyline while introducing several more. Then, in the middle of the gathering drama and revelations, the game suddenly ends with no resolution to the fate of a dozen major characters and a dozen major plotlines. This is perhaps the most unsatisfying ending I have ever seen in a game, movie, book etc. Even if they did plan on a sequel, this was just plain terrible. I know a lot of people hated The Empire Strikes Back because of the unresolved plotlines. This is 100x worse.

Gameplay: there are a few puzzles that require some thought, but overall the mental challenge of this game is on the light side for an adventure game. It is a little unfair to say that this is just an interactive movie, there are some clever puzzles. Unfortunately there are many times you are just sent on a mission to fetch a particular item and bring it to a particular place. The purpose of these brainless missions is to trigger cutscenes that move the story along. A lot of the action takes place in small rooms and tunnels. This means the camera that follows you has to zoom in and out a lot. I suppose this is a problem with any 3-d third-person game, but it can make you a bit dizzy. The interface was tweaked to be more "console friendly". This makes it a little more clunky for the PC, but not terrible.

Fighting and stealth: the developers added a few fights and a few stealth sequences in the game. The fighting is flat out a waste of time. Just stand in front of your enemy and smash the mouse button and you win. Either that, or the enemy is so tough you always lose. The stealth sequences were much better, although they did not really fit in an adventure game. I like to play adventure games leisurely, with one hand on the mouse and the other hand holding a cup of coffee. I don't want action.

Graphics: the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, but they are nice, especially the Dreamcore sequence. The close-up shots of faces look the worst. Lots of cutscenes, some of which are pretty cool.

Sound: there seems to be a lot of interesting music and sounds, much better than the typical adventure game.

Overall, from the quality of the story, to the quality of the sound and graphics, to the overall scope of the game, this had the potential to be EASILY the best adventure game of all time. Unfortunately the game was crippled by bizarre decisions by the developers: the mega-cliffhanger ending, the introduction of bad action elements, the clunky interface, the too-easy puzzles. What were they thinking?
  25. Feb 5, 2015
    I'd like to be short for this review, if I could give this game a 5.5/10 I would as I don't think it's quite deserving of a 6/10

It's a very pretty, graphically polished game that immediately drew me in Voice acting is heavy in the game and thankfully they managed to hire talented VAs to do the job, and has some pretty solid writing. Music is just fine, although nothing the stood

It's a very pretty, graphically polished game that immediately drew me in

Music is just fine, although nothing the stood out for me

Now the negatives...

You are essentially playing a walking simulator from beginning to end,
    It's puzzles are far too easy and uninspired, it attempts to bring a fighting mechanic into the mix, but it's just terrible and felt completely phoned in.

While you are given multiple choices in the game in the form of dialogue prompts, I've heard that the choices you make really don't affect the game in any way, making it completely linear.

It's story actually pulled me in and made me want to find out what's really going on.

But in the end I was like... "WHAT?!"

It's very confusing and apparently has a lot of references to it's original game which I haven't played.

I went into the game thinking that I was going to be treated to a head-scratching Broken Sword-esque puzzle solver, but was disappointed.

It's worthy of at least one playthrough but beyond that it doesn't really have anything else to bring you back.

It really does have some great visuals and audio though

Edited down to a tight package this could probably make a pretty good machinima feature (or Sci-Fi original motion picture for that matter). But as a game, it fails.
    Dreamfall is an amazing journey that propels players into a world where science, magic, art, and music combine to make a whole much greater than the sum of its parts.
  3. Where Dreamfall excels is in telling a story. The imaginative characters and locations are truly memorable and create a unique experience that makes the ride more enjoyable than the destination.