Dreamfall: The Longest Journey PC

• Release Date: Apr 17, 2006
8.5

1. MatthewK.
    Dec 6, 2008
    In an absolute class of its own for story-telling and as a result a unique and uniquely good experience. By half an hour in you care about the main character because both she and the setting are so interesting and believable. The fighting and stealth sequences are much-criticised but I didn't have a problem with them in a game where the primary rewards are not from individual In an absolute class of its own for story-telling and as a result a unique and uniquely good experience. By half an hour in you care about the main character because both she and the setting are so interesting and believable. The fighting and stealth sequences are much-criticised but I didn't have a problem with them in a game where the primary rewards are not from individual gameplay elements but from immersion in the world, story and characters. I don't play games often these days but was entranced by Dreamfall - a very special game. Expand
  2. MC
    Oct 28, 2008
    A wonderful game all around. The only reason it doesn't score higher is because of the usual low-intelligence people that despise cut scenes. Being an adventure game, it is obviously all about cut scenes. These people should play action games, not adventure games. They probably don't have a clue as to the difference. I have talked to many of the people that don't like cut A wonderful game all around. The only reason it doesn't score higher is because of the usual low-intelligence people that despise cut scenes. Being an adventure game, it is obviously all about cut scenes. These people should play action games, not adventure games. They probably don't have a clue as to the difference. I have talked to many of the people that don't like cut scenes and people that do and you can usually tell before you ask whether they will like them or not based on the person's intelligence. The dumber they are, the less they like cut scenes. Of course if you can't sit still like a big boy and keep pressing the space bar to get through cut scenes your not going to enjoy it. I bet these low brows have never read a book in their lives. I have a deep sense of pity for someone who goes around life without curiosity. How sad. Anyway if you deduct these scores, a correct assessment would be somewhere between 8 and 10 for most people. Expand
  3. JamesC.
    Feb 18, 2008
    I wish I could give this 10. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but sadly the awful controls and fight sequences mean I have to take a point off. I'm replaying it at the moment, and really not looking forward to the stealth sequences. I am though, loving every line of dialog, and every moment exploring Ragnar Tornquist's worlds. Very much hoping that the sequel will I wish I could give this 10. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but sadly the awful controls and fight sequences mean I have to take a point off. I'm replaying it at the moment, and really not looking forward to the stealth sequences. I am though, loving every line of dialog, and every moment exploring Ragnar Tornquist's worlds. Very much hoping that the sequel will come sooner rather than later. Expand
  4. BenjaminG.
    May 29, 2008
    Excellent game, can't wait for the final installment! I'd probably give it a 9.5 if possible, due to somewhat clumsy action sequences, but the storytelling and immersion factors are well beyond most other games.
  5. DanS.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Absolutely amazing adventure! Just a great story, well done!
  6. Rene
    Dec 26, 2009
    I've played the longest journy part one, but I liked Dreamfall even more. Execellent graphics, great scene's and a very good story. This is the best adventure I've ever played. I liked all the characters so much!!
  7. Nov 7, 2010
    Great game only downside were the combat although there wasn't much of it and possibly the puzzles were a little easy but perhaps that's a good thing because they don't get in the way of an amazing story and flow of the game. Took 9-hrs to complete no guides needed.
  8. Jul 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know what it is with this game. Just like it's predecessor, I have played a big part of the game being either annoyed, or amused by weaknesses, simplicity, or oversights in writing and/or gameplay. I've wondered lots of times what the hype could've possibly been about, especially when running from a to b and back for the millionth time. I still kept playing though. After about 2/3 into the game it had somehow managed to get a firm grip on me and while the faults and annoyances remained, I'm deeply immersed into the whole story.

So, is the story that good ? I can't really tell. It's definitely not bad, but I've played the Witcher 2 just before this and, for comparison, that game does have what I'd easily call a really good story. Dreamfall is more like the series Lost. There's holes and gaps and things that happen that don't seem to matter, but then there are also great story elements and moments which just kept me hooked. In the end, the good parts do balance out the bad.

**Minor spoiler alert**

...until it suddenly ends with a bunch of cliffhangers that dwarf the hanging gardens of Babylon, which I thought was very annoying. I still can't hate it for it though. Despite all it's flaws, and there are many, the game is just good.

I also liked that I felt a bit like playing a low-violence Tombraider.
  9. Apr 25, 2011
    I truly loved this game when it first came out, the story and atmosphere and even most of the VA work was top notch. The core game play did have a few control issues that seemed to crop out here and there but nothing so bad as to pull you out of a great experience.
  10. Nov 6, 2011
    This is a first rate classic of adventure gaming and the metascore of only 75 shows that critics who get bored if they haven't killed anything for 5 seconds, and can't resist sniping at adventure games, shouldn't review them. Dreamfall has a wonderful story and provides a captivating experience.
  11. Jul 19, 2012
    A really brilliant adventure game that everyone should try at least once, highly engrossing storyline with memorable characters and very finely crafted levels with a variety of 'not too difficult' puzzles.
    Extremely enjoyable to play and certainly one game you will always remember.
  12. May 7, 2012
    Sequel to the best(in my opinion) adventure game of all time: The Longest Journey. Story and character wise its still a masterpiece, but unfortunately most things that were changed from the original are problematic. The biggest problem are the controls - game dropped point-and-click style play and introduced third person view. The controls are clunky and stiff.That is a big problem whenSequel to the best(in my opinion) adventure game of all time: The Longest Journey. Story and character wise its still a masterpiece, but unfortunately most things that were changed from the original are problematic. The biggest problem are the controls - game dropped point-and-click style play and introduced third person view. The controls are clunky and stiff.That is a big problem when you take into account new features - fighting and stealth sections. Fortunately the rest of the game is as good or even in some parts better then its predecessor. The story, characters, dialogues are excellent! The story itself is very intelligent and moving. The story has an open ending and by the end You will be probably in tears...yes its that damn good. The sad thing is that the ending sets up a third part, that probably will never come...Either way this is a great game,and if You can overlook the clunky controls You will not regret playing it! My rating: 9/10 Expand
  13. Sep 17, 2012
    Visually this game is far superior to the original and the story is equally engaging. The biggest drawback is the lack of complex puzzles to solve, the very awkward controls and the after though introduction of a combat system. However the cut scenes and acting are excellent and keep you moving deeper into what could be best described as a movie/book/game hybrid. Very unique and a gameVisually this game is far superior to the original and the story is equally engaging. The biggest drawback is the lack of complex puzzles to solve, the very awkward controls and the after though introduction of a combat system. However the cut scenes and acting are excellent and keep you moving deeper into what could be best described as a movie/book/game hybrid. Very unique and a game I love for the sheer impact of the story it tells. Expand
  14. Jan 3, 2013
    I give Dreamfall a 10 for the simple reason that I have played through it at least 5 times, maybe more. It's not a perfect game, and it has its issues, but something in it compels me to play through it again from time to time, something most games do not do.
  15. Nov 10, 2013
    This is a typical adventure game were the award lies within the story. The puzzles aren't many, and often not that interesting. But the characters, dialog, story and especially the setting are all interesting and engaging. The game will take you through all sorts of environments, from futuristic versions of our world into medieval fantasy landscapes. But the gameplay isn't that advanced;This is a typical adventure game were the award lies within the story. The puzzles aren't many, and often not that interesting. But the characters, dialog, story and especially the setting are all interesting and engaging. The game will take you through all sorts of environments, from futuristic versions of our world into medieval fantasy landscapes. But the gameplay isn't that advanced; it mostly consists of running around and clicking on stuff, and you won't have much trouble figuring out which items to combine or were to use them. There are a handful of fights within the game, but the fighting mode isn't very well made. But as this isn't a fighting game, I can't say I expected the fights to be that grandiose, and frankly I didn't expect any fighting at all. But since the setting of the game triggers a lot of curiosity, I will have to say that I somehow from time to time found myself wishing I played something else instead, as I missed being able to interact in more ways within the world, rather than just hearing the protagonists comments about stuff I click on and talking to people. I'd say the reason of this lies within how linear the story could be at times. If there were more ways to complete different tasks, or at least more complicated one's, I'd feel more engaged in the actual gameplay. Another thing I would welcome was if there were side quests or just small stuff to explore in general, to sidetrack a bit from the main story. The main story is interesting though, it feels like an epic adventure as it will build up from something feeling like a "regular life simulator" into an magnificent journey between worlds. Expand
  16. Oct 25, 2014
    I would start by saying that Dreamfall is basically a masterpiece in terms of storytelling (and perhaps some more). Right before Chapters got released I decided to play TLJ and Dreamfall again. I must admit that playing Dreamfall straight after playing TLJ made me see clearly some of DF's flaws and understand why some fans were disappointed.

Dreamfall is drastically different than its

Dreamfall is drastically different than its predecessor. The old point-n'-click interface is almost completely dropped as you're now moving the characters around 3d environment with controller. (I actually prefer that interface) BUT, that's not all.
    In general, DF has more "hollywoodish" feeling in it. It feels much more like an interactive movie in a way, unlike TLJ. Its pace as much faster compared with TLJ, and many aspect, while good, feel inferior regarding TLJ: The characters are (usually) not as appealing or memorable as on the first game, the puzzles aren't as original, the dialogues aren't as clever, and April Ryan, the loved heroine from TLJ comes back in a rather gothic-gloomy-just-leave-me-alone fashion (although that's a part of the STORY and is completely understandable), and in general it felt as if we've lost some of TLJ's depth.
    Don't get me wrong, these aspects are good(!) within the game, but can be easily overshadowed by TLJ.

And now, enough with comparisons, I'll try reviewing DF on its own:
    The graphics are beautiful! Both Stark and Arcadia looks fantastic on medium-high settings and even better with anti-aliasing (mainly with ATI video cards I think). I truly enjoyed exploring and viewing the environments in the game.
    The musical score for DF is also amazing in my opinion. Much more "hollywoodish" as I said earlier, it feels orchestrated, and although at times it's poorly mixed into the game (in my opinion) it is very well done, the music as felt all the way throughout the game, and not because it loops infinitely, but because as in a movie it is carefully fitted into every scene alone.
    Story is amazing, of course. It stars of in a weak way. It actually starts off like TLJ - some teenager who's lost direction in her life, and just walking around aimlessly talking to everyone etc'.. The thing is that Zoe looks more dull and shallow than April in TLJ. Give her a chance, though. You'll learn to like her quickly enough as the story twists and turns wittily and Zoe changes and develops.
    In general, the three main characters you'll control in the game would go through interesting changes, which are wonderfully presented to you in DF's cinematic ways. And towards the end it gets really emotional and touchy, you'd probably have no choice but to sympathize the protagonists.

Now let's talk about some weaker points of the game, as much as I'd like to ignore them... But they're still there: Gameplay wise, well, DF is NOT a big hit. At all. It tried to introduce some action sequences with combat and stealth (I actually kinda liked some of the stealth parts, but..) they were pretty badly done, and for that reason they didn't add to the game as much as they could! (You can avoid many of those sections though). Aside from that, there are *some* inventory puzzles. Not that many. So, what's left besides the aforementioned gameplay aspects? Well... Dialogues. And running around. From cutscene to cutscene. It's sad for me to say these things, because I enjoyed DF so much! Yet, I simply couldn't ignore that big parts of the game I just passed with listening to conversations (merely listening, not even choosing what to say), or with backtracking, which is, at some point, well, not fun.
    And unfortunately, it makes exploration of the beautiful world introduces in DF somewhat tiring and not too rewarding. That's a minus. (Not to mention that the entire game is rather easy!)
    Nice thing about the gameplay, though, some sections can be played in several different ways, in some dialogues you can respond in different ways, and that's actually a great and well done addition to DF's replayability.

And I'm getting out of chars here, so lets make it quick! DF has some technical flaws as well. Minor, but still - The loading screen appears just way too much! Every time you go from one location to another. This can get pretty annoying! (Although the waiting isn't too long, just a couple of seconds).
    At times, the characters walking around simply fade away! Not aesthetic.
    The characters' animations aren't that good usually, which is a pity as the 3d models themselves and graphics in general are so fine.
    One last thing which didn't annoy me personally but is a drawback - there are many characters and terms which players that are new to TLJ's universe are not familiar with, and Dreamfall doesn't introduce those well.

That's all I suppose. It's clear that Dreamfall isn't the perfect game, but whoever plays it should understand that the real thing is the story, which most people would agree - is great.
    The game gave me great joy and excitement, and it deserves high grade.
  17. Dec 13, 2015
    Truly an amazing game. The story, the music, dialogs. I love its promoting of gender equality, as there's lots of leading female characters. Very interesting game. One of the best games to be honest. I wish there was a lot more games like this one. I want to thank the makers of this game. Truly spectacular.

Edited down to a tight package this could probably make a pretty good machinima feature (or Sci-Fi original motion picture for that matter). But as a game, it fails.
    Dreamfall is an amazing journey that propels players into a world where science, magic, art, and music combine to make a whole much greater than the sum of its parts.
  3. Where Dreamfall excels is in telling a story. The imaginative characters and locations are truly memorable and create a unique experience that makes the ride more enjoyable than the destination.