Dreamfall: The Longest Journey PC

• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: Apr 17, 2006
8.6

1. Jun 10, 2017
    Great game. i have spent a lot of time on this title. It has a great story with memorable characters. Good gameplay and best cut scenes with good dialogs.
  2. Mar 3, 2017
    Dreamfall is a worthy successor of a masterpiece like The Longest Journey.

The shift from point-and-click adventure to adventure-action provides for a slightly better pace of the action, while not taking a thing away from the game's strongest suit: storytelling. Zoe's quest for his friend's whereabouts quickly picks up pace and leads her to various places both in her world and in the
    Dreamfall is a worthy successor of a masterpiece like The Longest Journey.

Zoe's quest for his friend's whereabouts quickly picks up pace and leads her to various places both in her world and in the alternative universe of Arcadia.
    There she'll finally meet April Ryan, the protagonist of TLJ. From there things will get more and more complicated, involving both worlds and a multiversal conspiracy.

The ending doesn't tie all the loose ends, far from that. Which can be a bit disappointing and frustrating, but on the other hand it leaves us players wanting for more.
    A more "traditional" finale would have felt a tad cheesy, while the openness, with a rather strong negative vibe, fits the narrative tone of both worlds.

Our heroine(s) didn't save their world, their future hangs in the Balance (pun intended), but there is still hope, and the core message is "fighting is always worth it".

All in all a great adventure-action game (with more of the former, as it had to be expected considering its origins) with a cast of memorable characters and locations.
    Besides the already mentioned finale, it's a shame we didn't find out even MORE about some of the other NPCs, and the worlds of Stark and Arcadia.

Very much recommended to anyone who values a compelling story over mindless button-mashing.
  3. Jan 24, 2017
    Le premier (The Longest Journey) était une grosse merde de jeu d'aventure en 2D tout foireux, le second est tout en 3D et légèrement plus jouable mais -car il y a toujours un mais- il a trouvé le moyen de me bloquer alors que je ne suis plus très loin de la fin, sans doute un infâme bug, à moins que ce ne soit l'interface à la manette ou bien les limitations très limitées de cetteLe premier (The Longest Journey) était une grosse merde de jeu d'aventure en 2D tout foireux, le second est tout en 3D et légèrement plus jouable mais -car il y a toujours un mais- il a trouvé le moyen de me bloquer alors que je ne suis plus très loin de la fin, sans doute un infâme bug, à moins que ce ne soit l'interface à la manette ou bien les limitations très limitées de cette adaptation Xbox faite à la hache et taillée à coups de serpe.

En effet, si le jeu est graphiquement assez joli -ou disons pas trop laid- et que sa direction artistique n'est pas dénuée de talent, il rame souvent lamentablement, ce qui rend les interactions à distance pénibles, la précision à la manette étant déjà très discutable. Par ailleurs, les temps de chargement bien que rapides sont omniprésents.

L'univers reste charmant et intrigant mais trop d'allusions non expliquées au premier épisode font qu'on se retrouve un peu largué. Il faudrait donc avoir fini le premier, c'est-à-dire cette grosse merde de jeu d'aventure en 2D tout foireux pour comprendre tous les tenants et aboutissants du second. Dommage.
  4. Dec 11, 2016
    As someone who absolutely loved the first I had to give this a go. While the story, characters and setting are all still amazing the game has just aged poorly. Mechanics aren't enjoyable and it's tough playing it in 2016 but still worth a go if you're playing through them.
  5. Dec 13, 2015
    Truly an amazing game. The story, the music, dialogs. I love its promoting of gender equality, as there's lots of leading female characters. Very interesting game. One of the best games to be honest. I wish there was a lot more games like this one. I want to thank the makers of this game. Truly spectacular.
  6. Feb 5, 2015
    I'd like to be short for this review, if I could give this game a 5.5/10 I would as I don't think it's quite deserving of a 6/10

It's a very pretty, graphically polished game that immediately drew me in Voice acting is heavy in the game and thankfully they managed to hire talented VAs to do the job, and has some pretty solid writing. Music is just fine, although nothing the stood

It's a very pretty, graphically polished game that immediately drew me in

Music is just fine, although nothing the stood out for me

Now the negatives...

You are essentially playing a walking simulator from beginning to end,
    It's puzzles are far too easy and uninspired, it attempts to bring a fighting mechanic into the mix, but it's just terrible and felt completely phoned in.

While you are given multiple choices in the game in the form of dialogue prompts, I've heard that the choices you make really don't affect the game in any way, making it completely linear.

It's story actually pulled me in and made me want to find out what's really going on.

But in the end I was like... "WHAT?!"

It's very confusing and apparently has a lot of references to it's original game which I haven't played.

I went into the game thinking that I was going to be treated to a head-scratching Broken Sword-esque puzzle solver, but was disappointed.

It's worthy of at least one playthrough but beyond that it doesn't really have anything else to bring you back.

It really does have some great visuals and audio though
  7. Oct 25, 2014
    I would start by saying that Dreamfall is basically a masterpiece in terms of storytelling (and perhaps some more). Right before Chapters got released I decided to play TLJ and Dreamfall again. I must admit that playing Dreamfall straight after playing TLJ made me see clearly some of DF's flaws and understand why some fans were disappointed.

Dreamfall is drastically different than its

Dreamfall is drastically different than its predecessor. The old point-n'-click interface is almost completely dropped as you're now moving the characters around 3d environment with controller. (I actually prefer that interface) BUT, that's not all.
    In general, DF has more "hollywoodish" feeling in it. It feels much more like an interactive movie in a way, unlike TLJ. Its pace as much faster compared with TLJ, and many aspect, while good, feel inferior regarding TLJ: The characters are (usually) not as appealing or memorable as on the first game, the puzzles aren't as original, the dialogues aren't as clever, and April Ryan, the loved heroine from TLJ comes back in a rather gothic-gloomy-just-leave-me-alone fashion (although that's a part of the STORY and is completely understandable), and in general it felt as if we've lost some of TLJ's depth.
    Don't get me wrong, these aspects are good(!) within the game, but can be easily overshadowed by TLJ.

And now, enough with comparisons, I'll try reviewing DF on its own:
    The graphics are beautiful! Both Stark and Arcadia looks fantastic on medium-high settings and even better with anti-aliasing (mainly with ATI video cards I think). I truly enjoyed exploring and viewing the environments in the game.
    The musical score for DF is also amazing in my opinion. Much more "hollywoodish" as I said earlier, it feels orchestrated, and although at times it's poorly mixed into the game (in my opinion) it is very well done, the music as felt all the way throughout the game, and not because it loops infinitely, but because as in a movie it is carefully fitted into every scene alone.
    Story is amazing, of course. It stars of in a weak way. It actually starts off like TLJ - some teenager who's lost direction in her life, and just walking around aimlessly talking to everyone etc'.. The thing is that Zoe looks more dull and shallow than April in TLJ. Give her a chance, though. You'll learn to like her quickly enough as the story twists and turns wittily and Zoe changes and develops.
    In general, the three main characters you'll control in the game would go through interesting changes, which are wonderfully presented to you in DF's cinematic ways. And towards the end it gets really emotional and touchy, you'd probably have no choice but to sympathize the protagonists.

Now let's talk about some weaker points of the game, as much as I'd like to ignore them... But they're still there: Gameplay wise, well, DF is NOT a big hit. At all. It tried to introduce some action sequences with combat and stealth (I actually kinda liked some of the stealth parts, but..) they were pretty badly done, and for that reason they didn't add to the game as much as they could! (You can avoid many of those sections though). Aside from that, there are *some* inventory puzzles. Not that many. So, what's left besides the aforementioned gameplay aspects? Well... Dialogues. And running around. From cutscene to cutscene. It's sad for me to say these things, because I enjoyed DF so much! Yet, I simply couldn't ignore that big parts of the game I just passed with listening to conversations (merely listening, not even choosing what to say), or with backtracking, which is, at some point, well, not fun.
    And unfortunately, it makes exploration of the beautiful world introduces in DF somewhat tiring and not too rewarding. That's a minus. (Not to mention that the entire game is rather easy!)
    Nice thing about the gameplay, though, some sections can be played in several different ways, in some dialogues you can respond in different ways, and that's actually a great and well done addition to DF's replayability.

And I'm getting out of chars here, so lets make it quick! DF has some technical flaws as well. Minor, but still - The loading screen appears just way too much! Every time you go from one location to another. This can get pretty annoying! (Although the waiting isn't too long, just a couple of seconds).
    At times, the characters walking around simply fade away! Not aesthetic.
    The characters' animations aren't that good usually, which is a pity as the 3d models themselves and graphics in general are so fine.
    One last thing which didn't annoy me personally but is a drawback - there are many characters and terms which players that are new to TLJ's universe are not familiar with, and Dreamfall doesn't introduce those well.

That's all I suppose. It's clear that Dreamfall isn't the perfect game, but whoever plays it should understand that the real thing is the story, which most people would agree - is great.
    The game gave me great joy and excitement, and it deserves high grade.
  8. Jul 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know what it is with this game. Just like it's predecessor, I have played a big part of the game being either annoyed, or amused by weaknesses, simplicity, or oversights in writing and/or gameplay. I've wondered lots of times what the hype could've possibly been about, especially when running from a to b and back for the millionth time. I still kept playing though. After about 2/3 into the game it had somehow managed to get a firm grip on me and while the faults and annoyances remained, I'm deeply immersed into the whole story.

So, is the story that good ? I can't really tell. It's definitely not bad, but I've played the Witcher 2 just before this and, for comparison, that game does have what I'd easily call a really good story. Dreamfall is more like the series Lost. There's holes and gaps and things that happen that don't seem to matter, but then there are also great story elements and moments which just kept me hooked. In the end, the good parts do balance out the bad.

**Minor spoiler alert**

...until it suddenly ends with a bunch of cliffhangers that dwarf the hanging gardens of Babylon, which I thought was very annoying. I still can't hate it for it though. Despite all it's flaws, and there are many, the game is just good.

I also liked that I felt a bit like playing a low-violence Tombraider.
  9. Jan 12, 2014
    Dreamfall: TLJ is a 3-d third-person point and click adventure game. The game is a sequel to a classic adventure game released in 1998 called The Longest Journey. It is not necessary to play the original TLJ to play Dreamfall, but it helps a lot, since the game universe and many characters are the same. The game is very heavy on story, dialogue, and cinematics, and light on puzzles andDreamfall: TLJ is a 3-d third-person point and click adventure game. The game is a sequel to a classic adventure game released in 1998 called The Longest Journey. It is not necessary to play the original TLJ to play Dreamfall, but it helps a lot, since the game universe and many characters are the same. The game is very heavy on story, dialogue, and cinematics, and light on puzzles and gameplay.

Story: the story is both the best and the worst I have ever seen in an adventure game. In the last two years I have completed 12 adventure games including old classics and modern indies. Dreamfall has a very complex and compelling story involving several interesting characters, political movements, and the complex game universe. It includes elements of comedy, drama, and tragedy. The story really gathers steam toward the end, resolving one storyline while introducing several more. Then, in the middle of the gathering drama and revelations, the game suddenly ends with no resolution to the fate of a dozen major characters and a dozen major plotlines. This is perhaps the most unsatisfying ending I have ever seen in a game, movie, book etc. Even if they did plan on a sequel, this was just plain terrible. I know a lot of people hated The Empire Strikes Back because of the unresolved plotlines. This is 100x worse.

Gameplay: there are a few puzzles that require some thought, but overall the mental challenge of this game is on the light side for an adventure game. It is a little unfair to say that this is just an interactive movie, there are some clever puzzles. Unfortunately there are many times you are just sent on a mission to fetch a particular item and bring it to a particular place. The purpose of these brainless missions is to trigger cutscenes that move the story along. A lot of the action takes place in small rooms and tunnels. This means the camera that follows you has to zoom in and out a lot. I suppose this is a problem with any 3-d third-person game, but it can make you a bit dizzy. The interface was tweaked to be more "console friendly". This makes it a little more clunky for the PC, but not terrible.

Fighting and stealth: the developers added a few fights and a few stealth sequences in the game. The fighting is flat out a waste of time. Just stand in front of your enemy and smash the mouse button and you win. Either that, or the enemy is so tough you always lose. The stealth sequences were much better, although they did not really fit in an adventure game. I like to play adventure games leisurely, with one hand on the mouse and the other hand holding a cup of coffee. I don't want action.

Graphics: the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, but they are nice, especially the Dreamcore sequence. The close-up shots of faces look the worst. Lots of cutscenes, some of which are pretty cool.

Sound: there seems to be a lot of interesting music and sounds, much better than the typical adventure game.

Overall, from the quality of the story, to the quality of the sound and graphics, to the overall scope of the game, this had the potential to be EASILY the best adventure game of all time. Unfortunately the game was crippled by bizarre decisions by the developers: the mega-cliffhanger ending, the introduction of bad action elements, the clunky interface, the too-easy puzzles. What were they thinking?
  10. Nov 10, 2013
    This is a typical adventure game were the award lies within the story. The puzzles aren't many, and often not that interesting. But the characters, dialog, story and especially the setting are all interesting and engaging. The game will take you through all sorts of environments, from futuristic versions of our world into medieval fantasy landscapes. But the gameplay isn't that advanced;This is a typical adventure game were the award lies within the story. The puzzles aren't many, and often not that interesting. But the characters, dialog, story and especially the setting are all interesting and engaging. The game will take you through all sorts of environments, from futuristic versions of our world into medieval fantasy landscapes. But the gameplay isn't that advanced; it mostly consists of running around and clicking on stuff, and you won't have much trouble figuring out which items to combine or were to use them. There are a handful of fights within the game, but the fighting mode isn't very well made. But as this isn't a fighting game, I can't say I expected the fights to be that grandiose, and frankly I didn't expect any fighting at all. But since the setting of the game triggers a lot of curiosity, I will have to say that I somehow from time to time found myself wishing I played something else instead, as I missed being able to interact in more ways within the world, rather than just hearing the protagonists comments about stuff I click on and talking to people. I'd say the reason of this lies within how linear the story could be at times. If there were more ways to complete different tasks, or at least more complicated one's, I'd feel more engaged in the actual gameplay. Another thing I would welcome was if there were side quests or just small stuff to explore in general, to sidetrack a bit from the main story. The main story is interesting though, it feels like an epic adventure as it will build up from something feeling like a "regular life simulator" into an magnificent journey between worlds. Expand
  11. Nov 3, 2013
    Fantastic writing, amazing setting, characterization and storyline are superb, the audio is also amazing. So why am I giving it a mere "7" you ask. Well, sadly the game mechanics themselves are a little clunky, especially the fighting. However the story is so good it's worth playing anyway. As to how good it is in comparison with the original? Well, I haven't played that yet so I couldn't say.
  12. Oct 22, 2013
    This game needs more mixed reviews. It's a decent spin off that doesn't quite live up to its predecessor. It's less memorable, less immersive and quirky. And it's gameplay is really boring. If you can look past its shortcomings it's a beautiful game with a captivating story. (Story that is to be concluded in Dreamfall Chapters).
    Also, the first game was definitely more daring, but
    Also, the first game was definitely more daring, but Dreamfall stays mature in the way it deals with difficult occurrences, and the more complex, blurry motives of its characters. No hand holding in this regard. Intriguing.
  13. Aug 2, 2013
    Dreamfall: The longest journey, is the sequel to the point and click adventure game “The Longest Journey”. Dreamfall is about exploring different worlds and character development. To put it quite bluntly, Dreamfall is a story driven game, with some flawed action sequences and some underwhelming stealth portions. I have always wanted to play Dreamfall, and for some reason I only just gotDreamfall: The longest journey, is the sequel to the point and click adventure game “The Longest Journey”. Dreamfall is about exploring different worlds and character development. To put it quite bluntly, Dreamfall is a story driven game, with some flawed action sequences and some underwhelming stealth portions. I have always wanted to play Dreamfall, and for some reason I only just got around to it. I’m glad I waited, since my younger self probably wouldn’t have appreciated the game for what it truly is, since it lacks any real action.

Dreamfall presents itself some 200 years into the future, where corporations seemingly act as the government. There is often references to the wire, which is quite honestly just the internet from what I gather, only everyone seems to be connected to it at all times. Everyone seems to be reliant on the wire for everything, and it’s heavily monitored by corporations.

The setting of Dreamfall takes place in a sci-fi world called Stark, but also a different world of magic called Arcadia. Only a few people can travel between both worlds, often called shifters. The story is completely linear, and although the game allows you to choose specific dialogue when in a conversation, the outcome is eventually going to be identical to everyone else that has played the game. The only reason to choose the other conversation options is for more back story of each character, or maybe a event. It’s quite a nice feature, and although the story is static, this makes it seem a little bit less so.

Ranging from 10-15 hours, the game is a decent length. The story itself is one of the most interesting and immersive narratives I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. Most of the game is actually listening to conversations between 2 or more people, so take that into consideration. There is also some fairly easy puzzles in the game, with a few non-obvious ones thrown into the mix. The world itself is very static and linear. There definitely can be exploration, but there isn’t anything interesting to find if you deviate from your path.

Combat and stealth need to be mentioned. Combat is simply clunky, often times you’ll be throwing punches into thin air because of how bad it is. The stealth in the game doesn’t present a meaningful experience either, as I could be standing in-front of someone 5 metres away and they won’t even notice me. Why this was even included into the final product is beyond me.

The worst part of the game though, is the awful ending. Two hours up to the games ending, you begin seeing a lot of events taking place, and a lot of questions get brought up. The ending flat out refuses to answer any of the questions you might have about other characters or sequences you saw before the end. It’s completely left to your imagination what happened to everything and everyone else besides Zoe.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, is one of my most favourite adventure games. The story itself is something everyone should experience at least once in their life. While the combat and stealth are completely awful to your experience in Dreamfall, the game is worth your time if you can appreciate a interesting narrative in a sci-fi/fantasy world
  14. May 11, 2013
    Note I won't be comparing it to the first game in the series.
    Dreamfall is a third person action adventure game (more adventure than action) which takes place in literally 2 worlds, Stark (technocratic) and Arcadia (Magical) and concerns itself with two main plots and a variety of subplots.
    What i liked : - Straightforward simple puzzles, none of the esoteric logic some other adventure
    Note I won't be comparing it to the first game in the series.
    What i liked :
    - Straightforward simple puzzles, none of the esoteric logic some other adventure games have.
    -Beautiful world and superb aesthetics. These places do feel familiar if they would've existed. Nothing looks too out of place and thus doesn't draw away from the immersion of the game.From Casablanca in stark to Marcuria in Arcadia, they all look equally wonderful and imaginative.
    -Stealth sections. Now compared to other reviews i didn't mind them. A couple of them have a puzzle sense to them (ie a different way to be steathy). Even if you don't like them, you can still complete them
    What i didn't like :
    -Combat It feels weak and rather random if you happen to hit the enemy or visa versa. It honestly seems tacked on.
    -CLIFFHANGER ENDING Now the good part is, at least 1 major plot gets resolved, but the game opens several others and doesn't bother to close them. AND THERE WAS NO SEQUEL IN THE NEXT 3 YEARS that really took 1 point off the total score.

Overall, if you like an engaging narrative you'll like Dreamfall. You may not love it, but still like it. A 7/10 from me
  15. Feb 13, 2013
    It is a masterpiece, albeit simplified for the sake of gameplay time, no hardcore, but it is a new genre of interactive cinema, and this game handles told story not be forgotten for a long time zasyadet in your memory, this is one of those magical events, in which you believe.
  16. Jan 3, 2013
    I give Dreamfall a 10 for the simple reason that I have played through it at least 5 times, maybe more. It's not a perfect game, and it has its issues, but something in it compels me to play through it again from time to time, something most games do not do.
  17. Sep 17, 2012
    Visually this game is far superior to the original and the story is equally engaging. The biggest drawback is the lack of complex puzzles to solve, the very awkward controls and the after though introduction of a combat system. However the cut scenes and acting are excellent and keep you moving deeper into what could be best described as a movie/book/game hybrid. Very unique and a gameVisually this game is far superior to the original and the story is equally engaging. The biggest drawback is the lack of complex puzzles to solve, the very awkward controls and the after though introduction of a combat system. However the cut scenes and acting are excellent and keep you moving deeper into what could be best described as a movie/book/game hybrid. Very unique and a game I love for the sheer impact of the story it tells. Expand
  18. Jul 19, 2012
    A really brilliant adventure game that everyone should try at least once, highly engrossing storyline with memorable characters and very finely crafted levels with a variety of 'not too difficult' puzzles.
    Extremely enjoyable to play and certainly one game you will always remember.
  19. Jul 17, 2012
    Dreamfall may be the strangest game sequel ever. The gameplay, the graphical style, the character you play for most of the game, and the tone are all different from the original Longest Journey. And yet it is still very much a sequel, with some of the same characters (and a few important new ones) living in the same world(s), with enough common plot points and historical details to make itDreamfall may be the strangest game sequel ever. The gameplay, the graphical style, the character you play for most of the game, and the tone are all different from the original Longest Journey. And yet it is still very much a sequel, with some of the same characters (and a few important new ones) living in the same world(s), with enough common plot points and historical details to make it clear that you haven't accidentally bought the wrong game with a similar title. But still, it's a third-person 3D interface instead of point-and-click. It has little of the Longest Journey's snarky humor (except when Crow and Roper make their welcome reappearances), making the game feel somewhat darker. And because the humor is limited to characters you encounter, rather than the primary character you inhabit, the game feels a lot more serious overall. Also, the added freedom of exploring a 3D virtual world is offset by less interactivity; you have fewer choices, and your choices have fewer significant effects, than in the Longest Journey. Dreamfall comes close to being an "interactive movie," as other reviewers have described it. In short, I enjoyed Dreamfall very much, but not for any of the same reasons I enjoyed the Longest Journey. It is simply an engrossing story set in an interesting world with enough ties to its predecessor to feel pleasantly familiar. If you prefer combat and/or a high degree of non-linearity, look elsewhere. Expand
  20. May 14, 2012
    Gosh! That game really sucks....ugly character design,stiff animations and poor backgrounds!
    The graphic "designers" must have come straight from school...TERRIBLE !!!
    ( like: YEAH ! I am soooo proud of me....i can create a 3d model....i never was good in school but the computer makes me feel like a real artist !! )) LOOOOL !!! Just talent-free wannabe´s !! The story
    The graphic "designers" must have come straight from school...TERRIBLE !!!
    The story has been told like 1000 times....boring ! Stupid dialogues all the time.....

The only good thing is: I like norway......
  21. May 7, 2012
    Sequel to the best(in my opinion) adventure game of all time: The Longest Journey. Story and character wise its still a masterpiece, but unfortunately most things that were changed from the original are problematic. The biggest problem are the controls - game dropped point-and-click style play and introduced third person view. The controls are clunky and stiff.That is a big problem whenSequel to the best(in my opinion) adventure game of all time: The Longest Journey. Story and character wise its still a masterpiece, but unfortunately most things that were changed from the original are problematic. The biggest problem are the controls - game dropped point-and-click style play and introduced third person view. The controls are clunky and stiff.That is a big problem when you take into account new features - fighting and stealth sections. Fortunately the rest of the game is as good or even in some parts better then its predecessor. The story, characters, dialogues are excellent! The story itself is very intelligent and moving. The story has an open ending and by the end You will be probably in tears...yes its that damn good. The sad thing is that the ending sets up a third part, that probably will never come...Either way this is a great game,and if You can overlook the clunky controls You will not regret playing it! My rating: 9/10 Expand
  22. Apr 24, 2012
    Whilst some aspects of this game continue from the original (nice look-and-feel, good music and I thought the voice acting just fine), it is let down by some very poor choices. I don't mind the moving controls, but the fighting is horrendous (-1), if you sort out out to move and swing, you win every fight easy. The puzzles are also repetitive or dull (-1), and the end, sheesh, even if theyWhilst some aspects of this game continue from the original (nice look-and-feel, good music and I thought the voice acting just fine), it is let down by some very poor choices. I don't mind the moving controls, but the fighting is horrendous (-1), if you sort out out to move and swing, you win every fight easy. The puzzles are also repetitive or dull (-1), and the end, sheesh, even if they were thinking of a sequel, it is still a really bad and inconclusive ending (-2). It's better to warn people so. That aside, it still entertains in terms of a game, story is enjoyable, and you are interested in getting to the end. For $10 or less, not a bad game to add to the collection. Expand
  23. Mar 3, 2012
    It's a pity I couldn't actually finish Dreamfall, since it seemed like a great retro game that could stand the test of time! Unfortunately showstopper bugs and the juxtaposition of insanely easy puzzles and insanely difficult ones, made the game less appealing than its predecessor.
  24. Jan 24, 2012
    This is not a game. It is a slightly interactive movie. It's maybe one or two steps more advanced than clicking a "Next" button to watch the next cutscene. Most of the input from the player-- I mean, viewer, consists of running through towns to the next cutscene. There are a handful of symbol puzzles. There are also a number of interactive "world" puzzles, but all of these have eitherThis is not a game. It is a slightly interactive movie. It's maybe one or two steps more advanced than clicking a "Next" button to watch the next cutscene. Most of the input from the player-- I mean, viewer, consists of running through towns to the next cutscene. There are a handful of symbol puzzles. There are also a number of interactive "world" puzzles, but all of these have either painfully obvious solutions, or are clunky and tiresome. The story takes a long, long time to get good (I was bored witless for about 80% of it). But it does get good, very good, eventually. Right when it gets good, however, it ends. None of the plot's major elements come to a conclusion and this immediately sours and frustrates what little enjoyment I recieved from this gam-... movie. Don't pay more for this than you would for a night at the movies, popcorn included. Expand
  25. Nov 10, 2011
    I consider myself a fan of the original title, The Longest Journey - it had a unique atmosphere, captivating storytelling, likable characters and much more. It was a rewarding experience to play this game and that time was definitely not wasted for me. This title also has a replay value, although of course, it doesn't offer any new content or new ways of solving puzzles, but it's the kindI consider myself a fan of the original title, The Longest Journey - it had a unique atmosphere, captivating storytelling, likable characters and much more. It was a rewarding experience to play this game and that time was definitely not wasted for me. This title also has a replay value, although of course, it doesn't offer any new content or new ways of solving puzzles, but it's the kind of game that I like to play again from time to time (time being measured in years) and still enjoy myself while doing so. It's a very good relaxant. I am sure though, that this kind of title generally has more appeal to female audience than to a male one. / I was looking forward to the sequel, but that was probably because I hadn't been seeking any gameplay-related information in advance. If only I had known... / The game was fine at first, only to gradually get worse and worse. Fighting in TLJ? Really? And of course, also a pretty lame one. Why put that there? So the console users would feel satisfied about having at least some action and wouldn't run away to let off their steam elsewhere? The biggest problem though - at certain point, the game stopped being a game and turned into an interactive movie. Also, the storyline... I can't comment about the inconsistencies with the prequel because it has been quite a long time since I played both games (and when I was playing Dreamfall, I didn't remember all the nuances of the original title to be able to compare the storylines perfectly). But I must say, seeing April again was dissatisfying and her character was only a shell of her old self (which is understandable, given the circumstances, but still... a letdown) and the ending was depressing and clearly prepared for a next installment. / What bothers me about this (apart from what I already mentioned), is that some imagination was clearly still present here - e.g. nice and interesting environments, but for some reason, it's full potential was not unleashed. It's always sad to see there WAS some idea, but the team failed in delivering what they were supposed to deliver in terms of gameplay. / I am definitely not looking forward to another TLJ title (if any will be produced), because I don't believe that anything is going to change here, even though a lot of criticism has been voiced towards the creators. Seems to me like the authors are just milking the fame of the original game and they want to happily continue doing so. /
    I am giving this game a 4 (I considered giving it a 5) - the main reason for it being a lack of gameplay. I don't want to support a trend of movies posing as adventure games. And of course, the re-playability I mentioned in the beginning drops to zero for me with this title.
  26. Nov 6, 2011
    This is a first rate classic of adventure gaming and the metascore of only 75 shows that critics who get bored if they haven't killed anything for 5 seconds, and can't resist sniping at adventure games, shouldn't review them. Dreamfall has a wonderful story and provides a captivating experience.
  27. Aug 5, 2011
    Dreamfall has a very engaging story until toward the end when the story just abruptly ends. Very confusing. Where are the Cliffs notes? Aside from a confusing ending, the graphics were great, hats off to the artists. The puzzles detracted from the story and had nothing to do with the storyline, which is probably typical for an adventure game. But this wasn't much of and adventure gameDreamfall has a very engaging story until toward the end when the story just abruptly ends. Very confusing. Where are the Cliffs notes? Aside from a confusing ending, the graphics were great, hats off to the artists. The puzzles detracted from the story and had nothing to do with the storyline, which is probably typical for an adventure game. But this wasn't much of and adventure game anyway, just a story pretending to be an adventure game. Expand
  28. Jul 2, 2011
    I own over 125 PC games and have been playing PC games since they came on floppy discs and ran on Dos with 640k memory. Having said that, I've played a lot of great games, and a lot of BAD games. Then there is the LONGEST Journey. I'm assuming it's titled that because playing this game seems that way when you are fighting with controls to move around in the game, and listening to continuedI own over 125 PC games and have been playing PC games since they came on floppy discs and ran on Dos with 640k memory. Having said that, I've played a lot of great games, and a lot of BAD games. Then there is the LONGEST Journey. I'm assuming it's titled that because playing this game seems that way when you are fighting with controls to move around in the game, and listening to continued talks between strangers and friends. This is not a GAME. It's a Cartoon Movie. Any potential game play was KILLED by extremely poor controls. Expand
  29. Apr 25, 2011
    I truly loved this game when it first came out, the story and atmosphere and even most of the VA work was top notch. The core game play did have a few control issues that seemed to crop out here and there but nothing so bad as to pull you out of a great experience.
  30. Nov 7, 2010
    Great game only downside were the combat although there wasn't much of it and possibly the puzzles were a little easy but perhaps that's a good thing because they don't get in the way of an amazing story and flow of the game. Took 9-hrs to complete no guides needed.
  31. RomanO
    Jan 3, 2010
    I enjoyed Dreamfall: The Longest Journey for the most part. But it should have been a pure adventure game. Every aspect of action that has been thrown into this game sucks. Fighting is beyond bad it's the worst. Stealth is just boring, feels like ir shouldn't have been there. But apart from the action parts this adventurous journey was an enormous pleasure for me. I guess the I enjoyed Dreamfall: The Longest Journey for the most part. But it should have been a pure adventure game. Every aspect of action that has been thrown into this game sucks. Fighting is beyond bad it's the worst. Stealth is just boring, feels like ir shouldn't have been there. But apart from the action parts this adventurous journey was an enormous pleasure for me. I guess the creators had to make it more action oriented than the first Longest Journey, because the adventure genre is getting unpopular, but they mesed up on that. In short great adventure, bad action. Can't wait for the sequel. P.S. I give it 10 ignoring all the action parts. Expand
  32. Rene
    Dec 26, 2009
    I've played the longest journy part one, but I liked Dreamfall even more. Execellent graphics, great scene's and a very good story. This is the best adventure I've ever played. I liked all the characters so much!!
  33. Adventuregamer
    Nov 24, 2009
    Crap. Fails as a game and as a low budget movie.
  34. kristinlynn
    Jul 22, 2009
    I have a huge PROBLEM with the ending!!! Basically everyone dies and the bad guys (WatiCorp) win and release 'Dreamtime'.....are you serious?!?! I have never been so upset at the end of a game as I was about 5 minutes ago!
    Other than that.....the storyline and visuals were wonderful and enchanting....which is the only reason why I didn't throw the game out my window and yell, lol
  35. GlyphL
    Jun 14, 2009
    This is really one of the best games I've ever played. The reviewers who have criticized it for not being a "game" are being too narrow in their definition of the word: it's unfortunately imprecise, but "game" now means "digital interactive experience", and as such a "game", this is an absolute must-play. My only criticism of it, really, is that it's doesn't come to a This is really one of the best games I've ever played. The reviewers who have criticized it for not being a "game" are being too narrow in their definition of the word: it's unfortunately imprecise, but "game" now means "digital interactive experience", and as such a "game", this is an absolute must-play. My only criticism of it, really, is that it's doesn't come to a completely satisfying conclusion because the creators expect to produce a sequel. I pre-ordered this, played it the day it came out, and I've been waiting with baited breath for that sequel since then. Expand
  36. Sindow
    Jan 7, 2009
    Dreamfall is what happens when an adventure game is developed for a game pad instead of a mouse. It can either be seen as a very wordy action/stealth game with hardly any action or a gimped adventure game with not enough adventuring and awful action and stealth parts. Like in many other games by trying to please too many people the developers have pleased no one and created a game Dreamfall is what happens when an adventure game is developed for a game pad instead of a mouse. It can either be seen as a very wordy action/stealth game with hardly any action or a gimped adventure game with not enough adventuring and awful action and stealth parts. Like in many other games by trying to please too many people the developers have pleased no one and created a game consistent in its mediocrity. Expand
  37. RandallS.
    Dec 19, 2008
    I have to say this is one of the most memorable adventure games I have ever played. The story is very interesting, the sound is great, the puzzles are usually pretty neat.

My only qualm is that the combat system was really simplified. I think they could have done a little bit better even though you only fight like ten things throughout the whole game. And I agree with MC. If you

And I agree with MC. If you don't like cutscenes and stories, just don't play a game like this! There is absolutely no way you can call this a bland game unless you completely skip out on the story, which would be a real shame, because it's one of the best I've seen in a game.
  38. DonR
    Dec 13, 2008
    This is on of the best games adventure I've ever played. The story is truly compelling and thought provoking. The characters draw you into their story. The game play was an enjoyable mix of elements while the story telling was exciting and suspenseful. This game left me anxious almost desperate for a sequel. Plots like this could usure in a new era in video games where they are This is on of the best games adventure I've ever played. The story is truly compelling and thought provoking. The characters draw you into their story. The game play was an enjoyable mix of elements while the story telling was exciting and suspenseful. This game left me anxious almost desperate for a sequel. Plots like this could usure in a new era in video games where they are considered a legitatment media to tell the greatest stories of our time. Expand
  39. JonH
    Dec 8, 2008
    A wonderfully depicted, beautiful, clever, engaging, and (occasionally) funny game. The tech is now looking a bit dated in places but the game is very well put together and the story is in a class of it's own. My only gripes are: the controls are slightly awkward and (as with Tomb-raider etc) the camera doesn't always point where you want or expect it too. Some of the A wonderfully depicted, beautiful, clever, engaging, and (occasionally) funny game. The tech is now looking a bit dated in places but the game is very well put together and the story is in a class of it's own. My only gripes are: the controls are slightly awkward and (as with Tomb-raider etc) the camera doesn't always point where you want or expect it too. Some of the cut/dialogue scenes are long in places (particularly towards the end), but they're so well crafted and artistic that my advice would be to just enjoy them as the quality is undeniable. Highly Recommended! Expand
  40. MatthewK.
    Dec 6, 2008
    In an absolute class of its own for story-telling and as a result a unique and uniquely good experience. By half an hour in you care about the main character because both she and the setting are so interesting and believable. The fighting and stealth sequences are much-criticised but I didn't have a problem with them in a game where the primary rewards are not from individual In an absolute class of its own for story-telling and as a result a unique and uniquely good experience. By half an hour in you care about the main character because both she and the setting are so interesting and believable. The fighting and stealth sequences are much-criticised but I didn't have a problem with them in a game where the primary rewards are not from individual gameplay elements but from immersion in the world, story and characters. I don't play games often these days but was entranced by Dreamfall - a very special game. Expand
  41. MC
    Oct 28, 2008
    A wonderful game all around. The only reason it doesn't score higher is because of the usual low-intelligence people that despise cut scenes. Being an adventure game, it is obviously all about cut scenes. These people should play action games, not adventure games. They probably don't have a clue as to the difference. I have talked to many of the people that don't like cut A wonderful game all around. The only reason it doesn't score higher is because of the usual low-intelligence people that despise cut scenes. Being an adventure game, it is obviously all about cut scenes. These people should play action games, not adventure games. They probably don't have a clue as to the difference. I have talked to many of the people that don't like cut scenes and people that do and you can usually tell before you ask whether they will like them or not based on the person's intelligence. The dumber they are, the less they like cut scenes. Of course if you can't sit still like a big boy and keep pressing the space bar to get through cut scenes your not going to enjoy it. I bet these low brows have never read a book in their lives. I have a deep sense of pity for someone who goes around life without curiosity. How sad. Anyway if you deduct these scores, a correct assessment would be somewhere between 8 and 10 for most people. Expand
  42. DuxR.
    Oct 9, 2008
    Along with Chrono Trigger, the best game I ever played (and since Chrono is 2D and this is 3D, I might say it's the best 3D game I ever played!!).
  43. Lev
    Aug 20, 2008
    Was a huge disappointment after TLJ. Not to mention that the new characters sucked, they also ruined April and Crow. The gameplay was nothing special and the story was pointless. TLJ would have deserved a better sequel, or maybe the best idea would have been to leave it alone.
  44. AlexH.
    Aug 19, 2008
    The combat can be annoying at times, but overall the game is a beautiful place to play in, has an outstanding soundtrack, and has a constantly evolving and involving storyline that will leave you wanting more.
  45. ZeroDevice
    Aug 5, 2008
    GREAT GAME.
  46. L.R.
    Jul 9, 2008
    A truly awful game that will leave you disappointed if you manage to sit through it. The controls are terrible and the camera makes for a frustrating experience. But you don't have to worry about that very much as you won't find yourself actually playing the game all that often anyway. The game is comprised almost entirely of cut-scenes. In fact, you do little else but fetch A truly awful game that will leave you disappointed if you manage to sit through it. The controls are terrible and the camera makes for a frustrating experience. But you don't have to worry about that very much as you won't find yourself actually playing the game all that often anyway. The game is comprised almost entirely of cut-scenes. In fact, you do little else but fetch items in order to trigger another cut-scene. In the game there are three primary characters you watch babble. These are: Zoe (who looks eerily like a Bratz doll), April (who is extremely amusing in the first game but is-alas!-no longer. Instead her character is very macabre in a contrived way, having allegedly "lost" her Shifter powers along with, I suspect, her sense of humor) and Kian (a man who offers no surprises for the player nor, as is seen, for his enemies). You play briefly as the heroic Brian Westhouse in a Tibetan monastery during the beginning, which I thought would turn into a wholly welcome tutorial but that ultimately resulted in the game's first cut-scene (probably foreshadowing; if only I had seen it sooner). After you're done with Brian you never play as him again and although he appears later on in the game he seems as artificial and droll as the other NPCs. That was really too bad, too, as Brian's segment was the most enjoyable time I had during the game though even then it was only because Brian is an intriguing drunkard in Dreamfall's predecessor. When you do find yourself playing the game (an oversight on the director's part, I'm sure) you'll either have to solve insultingly simplistic puzzles (there are a grand total of 10 puzzles throughout the game, I think. None are memorable.), fight with a clumsy battle mechanic or sneak past a guard. Failing to sneak by in one of the sneak sequences normally results in a fight or instant death. The story is said to be the game's redeeming feature, but even this comes off as uninspired from the start. Almost immediately we are greeted by A Mysterious Girl (who is mysteriously alike to Samara, better known as The Ring Girl, or the girl from the Ring) who has a message for Zoe and attempts to convey it in a ghostly fashion via a Screen (Dreamfall's version of a television) amid static. However it would be unfair to judge the game solely on that one cliched character. The story does become rich and expands admirably. So rich and so admirably expansive does it become that it ends on a cliff hanger. Really try to avoid buying this game. Expand
  47. DennyJ.
    Jul 9, 2008
    See the comments by 'Anonymous' to get a real feel for this game. He is dead on. This game is dreadful. Nice graphics for sure, (credit where credit is due) but that is the ONLY interesting thing about it, If I were a teenage girl, (which I'm neither of) with little hand-eye coordination, no friends to speak of, and little interest in reading, I might enjoy this See the comments by 'Anonymous' to get a real feel for this game. He is dead on. This game is dreadful. Nice graphics for sure, (credit where credit is due) but that is the ONLY interesting thing about it, If I were a teenage girl, (which I'm neither of) with little hand-eye coordination, no friends to speak of, and little interest in reading, I might enjoy this 'game' just for it's unrelenting ability to waste one's time. One word of advice: before you play Dreamfall, buy yourself an extra spacebar. You'll be wearing the one you have now out skipping through the meaningless cut scenes and the teeth-grindingly long dialog sequences. Better yet, don't waste your time and money with this stinker period. Expand
  48. BenjaminG.
    May 29, 2008
    Excellent game, can't wait for the final installment! I'd probably give it a 9.5 if possible, due to somewhat clumsy action sequences, but the storytelling and immersion factors are well beyond most other games.
  49. MarilenaP.
    May 28, 2008
    Live your story! I'm absolutely amazed and sad that it ended... Where is the next one?
  50. GranvilleI.
    May 2, 2008
    I love every thing about the Game. I some how missed this Gem. Because of it i am now playing the long journey and have fallen madly in love with April Ryan.
  51. MackS.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Great game, I love how every character has their own unique personality and the voice-overs are AMAZING. Great fantasy that requires you to finish through to understand all the secrets.
  52. d_jediknight
    Mar 26, 2008
    This is the worst piece of shovelware that I have ever been unfortunate enough to experience for the PC. It is SO buggy just trying to get the game up and running that I gave up and threw it in the back of my closet in disgust. 1) Can't install AT ALL if not enough space on Windows drive (not the drive I want to install it on, the drive Windows is on!) 2).. after having to EDIT THE This is the worst piece of shovelware that I have ever been unfortunate enough to experience for the PC. It is SO buggy just trying to get the game up and running that I gave up and threw it in the back of my closet in disgust. 1) Can't install AT ALL if not enough space on Windows drive (not the drive I want to install it on, the drive Windows is on!) 2).. after having to EDIT THE REGISTRY to get it to install.. I'm forced to put the disc in every time to play. Par for the course, run of the mill, pain in the ass copy protection? Not quite. Because WHENEVER I PUT THE DISC IN, THE F**KING INSTALLER POPS UP! Aspyr has no solution for this problem. They were unwilling to accomodate me in any way (such as sending an offical "NO-CD" patch). BUYER BEWARE! Expand
  53. AlexanderB.
    Mar 15, 2008
    Wonderful story, this journey is really fascinating and in the end it comes to a big final. I hope there will be a continuation someday.
  54. JamesC.
    Feb 18, 2008
    I wish I could give this 10. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but sadly the awful controls and fight sequences mean I have to take a point off. I'm replaying it at the moment, and really not looking forward to the stealth sequences. I am though, loving every line of dialog, and every moment exploring Ragnar Tornquist's worlds. Very much hoping that the sequel will I wish I could give this 10. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but sadly the awful controls and fight sequences mean I have to take a point off. I'm replaying it at the moment, and really not looking forward to the stealth sequences. I am though, loving every line of dialog, and every moment exploring Ragnar Tornquist's worlds. Very much hoping that the sequel will come sooner rather than later. Expand
  55. VeikkoH.
    Feb 4, 2008
    I found the game a glorious experience. The game system had its flaws (poor camera), but the environments were really atmospheric and the plot was enjoyable. However, beware that you may not appreciate/understand the game unless you've played the first sequel, The Longest Longest.
  56. DanielS.
    Jan 7, 2008
    First off, for an "adventure game" Dreamfall lacks any worthwhile adventure game elements. Almost all the "puzzles" in the game are very spoon fed "go where the camera points" affairs. The controls are terrible for a PC game, as are the tiny tiny levels. Said tiny levels are also almost completely devoid of anything to do except pick up the one item you've been sent for or talk to First off, for an "adventure game" Dreamfall lacks any worthwhile adventure game elements. Almost all the "puzzles" in the game are very spoon fed "go where the camera points" affairs. The controls are terrible for a PC game, as are the tiny tiny levels. Said tiny levels are also almost completely devoid of anything to do except pick up the one item you've been sent for or talk to the lone interesting NPC. "Combat" consists of waiting for your opponent to block then pressing heavy attack until they fall down. But most importantly, all these things could stand aside in the face of a good story. Which of course isn't present in this game. While it definitely has its moments for the most part the story slowly goes nowhere, takes a few contrived twists, and finally to top it all off all the good guys die and evil wins the day. Despite one character's claims to the contrary, by the end it seems like everything would have worked out the same if you had just stayed in bed. Except maybe fewer people would have died. Collapse
  57. RezaA.
    Jan 1, 2008
    I loved Longest journey and was looking forward to this game for years but dreamfall disappointed me! good game but not a great game as longest journey.
  58. PavelC.
    Dec 26, 2007
    A game that reveals an amazingly beautiful world and story, it had me captured from beginning to end. It's like reading a fairy tale, which is a precious rarity in the 21st century.
  59. DanS.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Absolutely amazing adventure! Just a great story, well done!
  60. JohnH.
    Nov 29, 2007
    The story is the game..and if you like girls in underwear it will add to the experience. However, there is not much of a game. Most of the time playing this I was passive following a good interactive story. I'd love to see how the story evolves from here but I don't mind watching it on VHS/DVD.
  61. AnonymousMC
    Nov 16, 2007
    Let's get one thing clear right from the start: calling Dreamfall a game is like spending a night in the bathroom with a girlie magazine and calling it a date with a hot chick. Yes, some folks might enjoy it just as much, but who are we kidding?

Dreamfall is mostly devoid of any fun gaming elements, and chock full of a hodge podge of the worst gaming mechanics handpicked from all genres. Erratic third-person view camera that gets in your way? Check. Stilted button-mashing fights? Check. Pointless fetch quests consisting of nothing but running back and forth? Check. Forced stealth sequences? Check. But wait! "It's an adventure game," you say, "I can overlook all of that if the adventure bit is good."

Well, it's not.
    I'll enumerate the three things that define an adventure game for me:

1. A sense of exploration and discovery. Dreamfall has some beautiful environments, but there's invariably nothing interesting to interact with aside from what you need to proceed with the storyline. In fact, some chapters consist entirely of just walking a bit and triggering cutscenes. There's never a sense that you are interacting with the world, just rolling through it on fairly obvious rails.
    2. Clever puzzles to solve. One of the weaknesses of The Longest Journey was that most of the puzzles were pretty much sequential; It was always clear you had one puzzle to solve, and you weren't allowed to do anything else until you solved it. This is bad because it makes the puzzles easier to solve, since you're always sure you have the resources to solve it in your immediate area, and also because if you do get stuck, there's nothing else you can do in the game until you solve it. Dreamfall continues that tradition and makes even the exercise itself annoying. The puzzles are either trivial. ("Oh look, here's a key and here's a locked door right in front of me. Hmmm ...") or require triggering an obtuse mechanic even if the solution is obvious to the player ("Wait, I just saw the combination, why won't the game let me enter it?") The puzzles don't have to be difficult, but they should feel like more than just going through the motions to get to the next cutscene. If the story is the payoff to your night with a girlie magazine, then the puzzles in this game are like the advertisements showing hairy, fat, naked men on every other page in said girlie mag.
    3. An engaging story and characters. I would like to say that this is where Dreamfall delivers, but it's really only good compared against the lowered expectations for what passes for plot in a computer game. Overall, the multiple characters makes plotting less tight than in The Longest Journey, and often a little contrived in the way it makes the characters Zoe and April meander back and forth aimlessly ("I need to get to Arcadia to get April to help Reza! No, wait, I really should be back in Stark to do something about the Static! No, let me be whisked off by fate to achieve ... nothing!")Given what the gameplay is like, I recommend reading a book or watching a movie to get your fix of fictional narrative instead. Both are better delivery mechanisms for story than the machinima cutscenes in Dreamfall.
    One other strike against the plot is that it's mostly setting up for another sequel, and as you can imagine, feels about as satisfying as getting to the centerfold in your girlie mag and finding out it's been replaced with those annoying subscription mailer things.
    And yes, I only flogged that metaphor into a bloody dead horse pulp because I care.
    Have we gotten so desperate for adventure games that this steaming pile manages to walk off with a game of the year award from anyone? Go play some other better games instead:

The Longest Journey from FunCom, if you haven't played it already.

Sam & Max from Telltale Games, if you want something current, actually like to have fun and want the adventure game genre to live on.
    The Gabriel Knight series from Sierra, if you want an adventure game with mature themes and good writing. Be warned that this is old school adventure game difficulty.

Psychonauts from Double Fine Games, for an example of a genre bender evolved from adventure games, which has all the fun elements instead of all the sucky ones. Beyond Good and Evil, from Ubisoft for the PS2 is another fun example.
  62. FelixI.
    Nov 12, 2007
    A painful experience off set by a good story. A story I can't help feel has been destroyed by poorly executed game development. Don't expect anything remotely good from the graphics. Cheesy, cheap, limp, poorly choreographed 3D animations, its appearances such as these that make the old 2D sprite games look beautiful. This game brings all the worst features from console gaming A painful experience off set by a good story. A story I can't help feel has been destroyed by poorly executed game development. Don't expect anything remotely good from the graphics. Cheesy, cheap, limp, poorly choreographed 3D animations, its appearances such as these that make the old 2D sprite games look beautiful. This game brings all the worst features from console gaming to the computer. As with other obviously console ported games, dreamfall suffers from maddeningly clumsy controls. Sound and story are good, however overall this game has the feel of a beta. Not to be to repetitive, but its horrible to look at and has worse game play. Save your money, buy the original "the longest journey" it is far superior and in my opinion has better graphics in spite of its dated appearance. I dearly hope that the developers correct these issues before dreamfall chapters. Expand
  63. CHristianH.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Its an incredible game. And I'm proud that its a Norwegian game too. A MUST try game.
  64. Richard
    Nov 5, 2007
    Best game I ever played, seriously. Can't believe the critics ratings are that low. Graphics, sound and story, are just incredible.
  65. PedroS.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Intriguing plot, breathtaking environments, beautiful surroundings and the feeling of being together with the characters in each step. A perfect game for those who think playing is more than simply be shooting down people and the monsters. Zoe is brave and lovely.
  66. SeleneM.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Its a good game for my was so short i rescue it like in 8 hours but it seems good, he ending was so horrible really but i love April Ryan in first and second part ^^ Waiting for third game CLOSELY.
  67. RockL.
    Aug 28, 2007
    This game was amazing, it had the best story line i've seen in any game, i wish all games cared about story as much as this game does. It had a very beautiful world and characters. I can't wait for a sequal.
  68. EmmaB.
    Aug 7, 2007
    Amazing and creepy... Very in depth and strong storyline... Loved it!
  69. AaronB.
    Jul 19, 2007
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game - but so many threads left unanswered.
  70. SethL.
    Jul 17, 2007
    They really pulled me in with this one. Despite the overuse of cinematics, I was enthralled. The game play and graphics were pretty good, too. It's almost a fusion of different genres and pushes the boundaries of what a game is. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in quite some time.
  71. M.Alex
    Jul 2, 2007
    A bit like an interactive movie and "quite" linear (which I don't necessarily consider a con), the magnificent story kept me glued to the screen for over 24h. If you can cope with plot linearity, try this one out.
  72. AlexL.
    Jun 20, 2007
    This game is great in many ways, but ultimately hugely disappointing. The graphics are incredible, the gameplay system (including fighting) well crafted. The plot is clever (although involving an unfeasible number of beautiful female characters), the acting mostly good. But 'anonymous's review is quite right. There is just not enough game. There are a handful of bits of proper This game is great in many ways, but ultimately hugely disappointing. The graphics are incredible, the gameplay system (including fighting) well crafted. The plot is clever (although involving an unfeasible number of beautiful female characters), the acting mostly good. But 'anonymous's review is quite right. There is just not enough game. There are a handful of bits of proper adventure, problem solving etc. But it is mostly just walking from one location to another in order to have very long and involved conversations with people. Zoe's refreshing attitude soon gets lost. This is like a mildy interactive film. If that's what you want, then fine. Otherwise, go back to playing Monkey Island. Expand
  73. AnonymousMC
    Jun 16, 2007
    it could have been so much more than it was. basically, dreamfall was an amazing story with incidental gameplay. while the story was fantastic and sets up nicely for a third installment; actual gameplay was horridly abysmal. it didn't have to be TLJ to be successful. it just had to be good. sadly, as an adventure game, dreamfall missed its mark entirely. the storyline saved itit could have been so much more than it was. basically, dreamfall was an amazing story with incidental gameplay. while the story was fantastic and sets up nicely for a third installment; actual gameplay was horridly abysmal. it didn't have to be TLJ to be successful. it just had to be good. sadly, as an adventure game, dreamfall missed its mark entirely. the storyline saved it from a rating of 1. Expand
  74. JoeB.
    Jun 13, 2007
    A good game, but the ending sucked and was a obvious setup for a third game.
  75. RayG.
    Jun 7, 2007
    Absolutely superb game. Can't wait for the next installment. I need closure.
  76. HighVoltage
    Jun 3, 2007
    Everything is pretty good; however, the graphics SUCK! I mean... just look at the renders and you'll see what I mean. Next, this is a great quest genre game, but its nothing compared to Neverwinter Nights, Oblivion or even Morrowind. You dont have any "side quests"... I'd say this is an "OK" game, but the thing that pisses me off aobut it is absolutely no "freedom". All I can Everything is pretty good; however, the graphics SUCK! I mean... just look at the renders and you'll see what I mean. Next, this is a great quest genre game, but its nothing compared to Neverwinter Nights, Oblivion or even Morrowind. You dont have any "side quests"... I'd say this is an "OK" game, but the thing that pisses me off aobut it is absolutely no "freedom". All I can conclude from this is that people that made this game did not take their time and were just rushing. If any of you guys whoever made this game ever read this: my advice - next time take your time on the graphics and side quests. Thats probably the main reason why Bioware's games rock - they take their time. So I voted 6/10. 2 problems - poor graphics, and everything is right according to the story... Expand
  77. MarkB.
    May 20, 2007
    Beautiful, engrossing and addictive. In a gaming world full of brutal soldier shooters that are little more than propaganda filled recruiting vehicles for the US war machine, this stands as a captivating and involving work of art that asks questions - about war, faith and being human. It's also beautifully rendered in full 3D, superbly voiced and very atmospheric. It's also very Beautiful, engrossing and addictive. In a gaming world full of brutal soldier shooters that are little more than propaganda filled recruiting vehicles for the US war machine, this stands as a captivating and involving work of art that asks questions - about war, faith and being human. It's also beautifully rendered in full 3D, superbly voiced and very atmospheric. It's also very funny sometimes, and very sad. The storyline is the best bit though, I was hooked all the way through. The way the three characters intertwine and meet up is interesting, though I felt the Azadi assasin character was underplayed slightly. Puzzle and action-wise it's none too challenging, and only once or twice did I scratch my head or curse my two left thumbs with my control pad (I was playing on a PC connected to my 26inch LCD TV using an Xbox 360 controller - much easier than a mouse). To me that's a good thing - too many games are too hard both mentally and physically, and they just aren't much fun. There is a lot of dialogue, but most of it relevant and/or entertaining... I didn't get too far into the first game as I got a bit bored by all the branching dialogue... however, after playing this I will definitely give it another go as I want to find more about the backstory of Dreamfall. I recommend you get this game. Buy it, watch it, play it, live it ... it's amazing! Expand
  78. SoldierX.
    May 17, 2007
    Fantastic, the story is keeping you behind the screen of your computer, the graphics are fantastic and its Not point-and-click, its an adventure you can wander everywhere, the animation of characters are smooth. The puzzles aren't to difficult and aren't to easy, just the perfect balance, at the beginning you need to learn master the controls, the only bad thing is that combat Fantastic, the story is keeping you behind the screen of your computer, the graphics are fantastic and its Not point-and-click, its an adventure you can wander everywhere, the animation of characters are smooth. The puzzles aren't to difficult and aren't to easy, just the perfect balance, at the beginning you need to learn master the controls, the only bad thing is that combat is a bit messy, but i don't care in an adventure like this! 10/10 for originality 8/10 for graphics (but best in an adventure i ever saw) 10/10 for gameplay and 10/10 for sound (its heart pumping and you never feel safe in the scary parts!) Expand
  79. JeroenW.
    May 8, 2007
    I started playing this game and immediately got hooked. I was thrilled by the storyline, and played most of my time 2 days after eachother, and the ending plot nearly brought me to tears. Great graphics, great music, great story: this all makes up dearly for a lack of challenge and linear gameplay. If you get into this game, you'll get hooked like reading a great bestseller book. I started playing this game and immediately got hooked. I was thrilled by the storyline, and played most of my time 2 days after eachother, and the ending plot nearly brought me to tears. Great graphics, great music, great story: this all makes up dearly for a lack of challenge and linear gameplay. If you get into this game, you'll get hooked like reading a great bestseller book. Which brings me to the only really bad point of this game: it's too short! It would be soo much better if it were longer. Expand
  80. Blueroom
    Apr 26, 2007
    This was a total waste of money. hours and hours of going back and forth between characters and listening to long drawn-out dialogue with little or no relevance to the overall story. i thought this game was supposed to be for mature gamers? most of the puzzles are juvenile and linear - I've lost my cat! find it and i'll help you!' or 'i need spices! find some and This was a total waste of money. hours and hours of going back and forth between characters and listening to long drawn-out dialogue with little or no relevance to the overall story. i thought this game was supposed to be for mature gamers? most of the puzzles are juvenile and linear - I've lost my cat! find it and i'll help you!' or 'i need spices! find some and i'll help you!' ffs what a joke. the thing that pisses me off the most though is that the environments are so amazing to look at (the best i've ever seen) but i can't stand playing the game so I'm probably not even going to bother finishing it. the graphics aren't all good tho. the characters are animated badly and the facial expressions are horrendous. zoe spends a lot of time looking like an inflatable sex doll but i think it's a lame attempt at a surprised facial expression. the music is awesome and so are the ambient sounds. the dialogue is well acted but so incredibly tedious. this game must have had some amazing production values but they didn't spend any of it on gameplay and every time i see a review touting it as 'adventure game of the year' (or indeed anything with a score greater than 5/10) i can't help but be reminded of the emperor's new clothes. Expand
  81. FelixR.
    Apr 25, 2007
    That was money down the drain purchasing this game. If I would have had the chance to try the game before purchasing it, I wouldn't have given a dime for it. It doesn't even worth the space it eats up from my HDD. The most boring game I have ever tried. Oh my, when I have to run up and fro through four scenes to get something just for bringing it back, and nothing happens during That was money down the drain purchasing this game. If I would have had the chance to try the game before purchasing it, I wouldn't have given a dime for it. It doesn't even worth the space it eats up from my HDD. The most boring game I have ever tried. Oh my, when I have to run up and fro through four scenes to get something just for bringing it back, and nothing happens during running! (Yes, you'll see eight "loading" just because you gotta run for something and bring it back!) I guess the developers thought this is fun, but in my opinion only for those who never played with good games. And the controlling method of the game! Oh boy! If I'd ever have a chance to ask a geek who thinks this is a good way, what he thought when developed it! Not to mention those very long and boring dialogs, and cut scenes... And the voice of characters? Most of them are like someone was wakened up from the deepest sleep and read it. Zero acting performance. My "favorite" is Na'ane. Anyone could act it's voice out better. And the mimics of characters? It would have been ok 5-6 years ago. Expand
  82. IkeM.
    Mar 29, 2007
    Graphics OK, good music, good voice acting. Gameplay is very linear and allows no deviation from the main path. You have no influence at all at the end - which is a cliffhanger. I hate this kind of ending. It's ok for free-tv series, but in computer games this just sucks.
  83. BarbannisW.
    Mar 26, 2007
    Awesome game, great storyline. The only faults I could see with this game were mainly 3 things, the camera views were hard to get used to, took a bit at first but in the end you get used to it. Second, the character expressions. They never changed, there was no scared, there was no happy, there was no sad, just the same. heh other then that it was too dang short!. The story was awesome! Awesome game, great storyline. The only faults I could see with this game were mainly 3 things, the camera views were hard to get used to, took a bit at first but in the end you get used to it. Second, the character expressions. They never changed, there was no scared, there was no happy, there was no sad, just the same. heh other then that it was too dang short!. The story was awesome! The environments and characters like Crow were so fun all in all, 8/10 good game, can't wait for a sequel! Expand
  84. JianZhenNg
    Mar 22, 2007
    Perfect is the word. It's like a mixture of Fable : The Lost Chapters and The Indigo Prophecy. The ending is well done and the fighting is fair for this genre of gaming. I found Crow to be my favorite character giving some laughter into this game. OH! I can't wait for a 3rd game. Apart from some excruciating long dialogs, I love it!
  85. DarkE.
    Mar 20, 2007
    Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is an amazing game that has redefined what games should be. The story is amazing and mysterious which keeps you wondering whats next. The soundtrack sets an excellent atmosphere to the world. The characters are interesting and lovable. Yes there is a lot of talking but the conversations are interesting and make the characters and the world more believable. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is an amazing game that has redefined what games should be. The story is amazing and mysterious which keeps you wondering whats next. The soundtrack sets an excellent atmosphere to the world. The characters are interesting and lovable. Yes there is a lot of talking but the conversations are interesting and make the characters and the world more believable. The only thing that can be improved on is the semi sluggish combat system. Compared to the first The Longest Journey which was nearly impossible for many the puzzles are simplier. Which doesn't affect my rating any considering they were still fun and got you thinking. Expand
  86. RickG.
    Mar 11, 2007
    The original was far superior. This is just a choose your own adventure story with nice graphics, and only one choice of adventure. Even if they do ask 1000 times what you want to do next, the only choice is 'a: Follow the only storyline." Don't waste your time. This creator sold out and is cashing in on the cult following of the original. Its not even a well told story.
  87. SteveJ.
    Mar 8, 2007
    That was the first PC game I have played little to no fighting with 2 key pushing k and l. game play was little to none near end. everyone dies whats with that what happened to the other characters. am i going to have to wait till the next one comes out dont know about that. the only good thing was the (story) but then they killed all main characters just cant get over that pissed me off That was the first PC game I have played little to no fighting with 2 key pushing k and l. game play was little to none near end. everyone dies whats with that what happened to the other characters. am i going to have to wait till the next one comes out dont know about that. the only good thing was the (story) but then they killed all main characters just cant get over that pissed me off wtf think ill stick to my shoot em up games zoe was pretty hot though id go her lol back to counterstrike now maybe can make up for the lack of fighting Expand
  88. KaneC.
    Mar 7, 2007
    I don't see how this game is getting vote rates at 1, must be because those people cant even play a game right, or they have crappy PC's. but who ever says this game is crap, they must have some handi capped disabilities, because this game is the bomb. graphics are the best, gameplay is good, puzzles, fair combat, and a weird but good storyline. Who ever gave this game a rating I don't see how this game is getting vote rates at 1, must be because those people cant even play a game right, or they have crappy PC's. but who ever says this game is crap, they must have some handi capped disabilities, because this game is the bomb. graphics are the best, gameplay is good, puzzles, fair combat, and a weird but good storyline. Who ever gave this game a rating of 1, must be smoking crack. Expand
  89. Mike
    Mar 6, 2007
    There are numerous things I don't like about this game. 1. The graphics are decent, but they are not even close to HL2, especially the close ups of faces. 2. The gameplay is VERY linear!! There is nothing to explore. It seems very closed. 3. two of the voice overs are just terrible! How could they pass these voice? 4. annoying running around for example, getting the spices. What a There are numerous things I don't like about this game. 1. The graphics are decent, but they are not even close to HL2, especially the close ups of faces. 2. The gameplay is VERY linear!! There is nothing to explore. It seems very closed. 3. two of the voice overs are just terrible! How could they pass these voice? 4. annoying running around for example, getting the spices. What a waste of time! Overall. If you're into boring adventure games, then you can give it a try. Otherwise stay away from this game! Expand
  90. JW
    Feb 21, 2007
    It is a good game and its a bit short. I beat it in 12 hours. I will be thinking about the next release if there is one.
  91. BenC.
    Feb 20, 2007
    Excellent Game! Challenging puzzles and fairly good gameplay. Thanks!
  92. WarwickA.
    Feb 20, 2007
    A real genre-destroyer. Well over 60% of 'play' time was cut scenes. What a complete waste of time. Yawn. 'Combat'? There is no combat to speak of - a total of perhaps 5 'battles' which involve clicking until you win (or fail and immediately restart the battle). No adventure at all - 100% linear. 1 point for marketing - fool me once, shame on you Funcom.
  93. RandallS.
    Feb 19, 2007
    Story: The story was excellent. It was very interesting and sort of creepy at the same time. I always wanted to find out what happened next. There are few games with such a great sci-fi story, I really enjoyed their portrayal of the future. Gameplay: The controls are a bit awkward, but they are fine once you get used to them. This is not a game for action fans, the battle system in Story: The story was excellent. It was very interesting and sort of creepy at the same time. I always wanted to find out what happened next. There are few games with such a great sci-fi story, I really enjoyed their portrayal of the future. Gameplay: The controls are a bit awkward, but they are fine once you get used to them. This is not a game for action fans, the battle system in shallow, and there are very few battles, like 10 in the whole game. This is really more of a puzzle game, that will challenge you and always throw something new at you. Despite the name of the game, the journey is actually relatively short, and I finished it in about 10 hours. Graphics: The graphics are very good, but they aren't very refined. For instance, the swords of an important character would stick through their cloak as they ran and the read beam from patrol scanners often goes through walls. Sound: The sound is mostly used to paint the environment and for character voices. The environmental sounds were appropriate, clear, and well placed. On the other hand, the voice acting was quite poor. A lot of the conversations didn't sound like conversations at all, the characters often make long pauses that make it sound like they are having trouble piecing together their sentences. Summary: This is a great game for those who like puzzles, but it isn't for those who prefer a lot of action. I was quite disappointed with the end though, that leaves you hanging...painfully. Expand
  94. SaxonS.
    Feb 14, 2007
    Stunning visuals and great story, make great movie and will change the way you think, remember to turn graphics up, I only found that out till I saw the end of the credits
  95. EricG.
    Feb 11, 2007
    Excellent storyline, well assembled and executed. Some dialogue sequences are too long and drawn-out; and the combat controls are absolutely pathetic. But, in all I would say its worth playing, but not twice.
  96. NemadomM.
    Feb 4, 2007
    This game is amazing, of course it has its own problems, here and there, that I wont going to stare at it in 1000 words. I will stare at its "goodness". When you are watching an incredible film in the cinema, and at the end your emotions trap your heart, thats it. Your brain is only thinking on the whole thing. You gota get into the car and travel back home. And while you are going and This game is amazing, of course it has its own problems, here and there, that I wont going to stare at it in 1000 words. I will stare at its "goodness". When you are watching an incredible film in the cinema, and at the end your emotions trap your heart, thats it. Your brain is only thinking on the whole thing. You gota get into the car and travel back home. And while you are going and watching out on the window this feeling that you got is fadeing away, and you are going into sadnes, because you would love to have this strange feeling longer but you can't, it's fadeing... As I sad before this happens on the end of a good film, just as happens at the and of a good game. And well, here, you can have that feeling a bit longer. Of course if you haven't got a brother who suddenly comes in and says to you: What a useless game... And you loose your "Fate" A true amasing, and fantastic game. Expand
  97. James
    Feb 3, 2007
    This game is the closest to art or a movie a "game" has ever been. As long as you get involved in the story it really takes you on a journey and a half.
  98. Sam
    Feb 1, 2007
    A fantastic storyline and good graphics. The fight scenes are annoying and the ending is very disappointing though.
  99. JamieK.
    Jan 29, 2007
    I just finished playing this incredible game (after another session of playing it for 8 hours straight) and it felt like a really good book ended. This game is very satisfying, and I felt as though there were little to no flaws. The atmosphere in the game is very vibrant and immersive. The story, voice acting, and humor in the game were very genuine and entertaining; I wasn't bored I just finished playing this incredible game (after another session of playing it for 8 hours straight) and it felt like a really good book ended. This game is very satisfying, and I felt as though there were little to no flaws. The atmosphere in the game is very vibrant and immersive. The story, voice acting, and humor in the game were very genuine and entertaining; I wasn't bored at any time playing this game. I hope that more people pick up a copy so that the developers will be able to make the third volume! Expand
  100. JayK.
    Jan 29, 2007
    This game probably has the best story, writing, and voice acting of any I've ever played. It is intensely enjoyable, and not to be missed by adventure gamers. It is also far superior to the prequel, whose voice acting and dialogue were annoying. The fighting system is lame but doesn't ruin anything. The puzzles are easy but amusing and keep the intriguing story moving. Please This game probably has the best story, writing, and voice acting of any I've ever played. It is intensely enjoyable, and not to be missed by adventure gamers. It is also far superior to the prequel, whose voice acting and dialogue were annoying. The fighting system is lame but doesn't ruin anything. The puzzles are easy but amusing and keep the intriguing story moving. Please buy this so we can all see an ending to this awesome story! Expand

Edited down to a tight package this could probably make a pretty good machinima feature (or Sci-Fi original motion picture for that matter). But as a game, it fails.
    Dreamfall is an amazing journey that propels players into a world where science, magic, art, and music combine to make a whole much greater than the sum of its parts.
  3. Where Dreamfall excels is in telling a story. The imaginative characters and locations are truly memorable and create a unique experience that makes the ride more enjoyable than the destination.