5.8

1. Jun 14, 2011
    Quite frankly the greatest game of our generation. From the rock solid humor to the smooth graphics, all is good here. I can;t speak for the issues people are having with the console versions, but the pc version is top notch! Game of The year, BABY!!
  2. Jun 14, 2011
    Not as ground-breaking as its predecessor, Duke Nukem Forever nevertheless brings in some much needed fun into the genre with a memorable single-player campaign with humorous details littered throughout and some semi-old school pacing.

The 12 hour SP campaign is unusually compelling, has some great moments and the interactive ego boosters you find are rewarding. The story and character is essentially over the top satire and a lot of the humor references other games and pop culture. The puzzles are great, supplying a pacing one finds in past Valve titles and are all very engaging. Most levels feel unique and a few provide interesting twists to gameplay. Many of the scripted sequences lack polish and a few areas appear downright bare when nothing happens. The FBA animations are world class and create cinematic events to immerse you in a rather zany action hero.

The weapons are a smart mix of conventional, alien and fun. A limited carry capacity for primary guns stresses environmental interaction and map domination. The separately mapped explosives and powerups make for clever tactics. Boss fights provide unique challenges and end in amusing fatalities in keeping with the series. Duke's ego, itself a parody of regenerating health systems, provides some respite from the occasionally punishing combat and brutal enemy characters.

Graphics are a mixed bag as Vegas looks like a dull attempt at realism and many outdoors areas in general don't have the vibrancy of most indoor levels, which are rendered well. Post-processing effects often tend to miss the mark and some explosions and weapon effects don't always look too good while other effects and dynamic soft shadows look very nice. The level geometry is mostly for the low end and while static meshes are detailed, this is a game that's meant to run better than it looks.

Overall, it's a remarkably fun, un-PC game and despite the lack of polish in many areas, makes for a uniquely hand-crafted experience that stays with you. I'd recommend this to fans of the Half-life series who don't mind a varied pace. But those interested in graphics or more polished titles with tighter, combat to combat scripting like the Call of Duty series might want to wait till this one is on sale.
  3. Jun 14, 2011
    The game really was everything what i expected and even more. Gameplay is good, maps are good and characters are good. I thought that only 2 guns with you would be weird in Duke but actually i didn't even notice that when playing because the shooting was so fun and worked so well. Beer, steroids, monster, puzzles, "little duke", etc worked well and was fun. Those who want graphics or justThe game really was everything what i expected and even more. Gameplay is good, maps are good and characters are good. I thought that only 2 guns with you would be weird in Duke but actually i didn't even notice that when playing because the shooting was so fun and worked so well. Beer, steroids, monster, puzzles, "little duke", etc worked well and was fun. Those who want graphics or just multiplayer can eat bubblegum but those who want good singleplayer first time in years: it's time to kick ass! Expand
  4. Jun 14, 2011
    First Duke3D forced me to buy old 486, and i played Duke3D without the sound. I was waiting for all these years and this Duke Nukem does not dissapoint. The graphics are really decent and much better then on xbox360. Im enjoying every minut of it. Black Ops and Crysis 2 kids will probably disagree with me but odlschool fans will appreciate DNF.
  5. Jun 14, 2011
    Cool game with a lot of detail, and I mean a lot of detail. Gameplay is old school, engine is outdated (after 12 years, what did you expect? lol) ... but the game is fun and hilarious.
  6. Jun 14, 2011
    Very funny, very fun game. Don't listen to the reviewers. They've been blinded into thinking that all FPS games should be the same, and anything different they can't understand/accept. A 10 in my book.
  7. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever delivers exactly what I was expecting for. It's a fun shooter, with it's flaws, sure, but it's still a game with its own characteristics. Don't go and compare DNF with CoD or Halo, they are almost different genres. Duke has personality, have his lines, his sense of humor. The others? Just silent protagonists. Hail to the king, baby!
  8. Jun 14, 2011
    As a female gamer who has logged countless hours in Black ops and Left 4 Dead 2, this game is not only refreshing but absolutely hilarious. From the moment I started the game I was laughing non stop, and even on easy the challenge of the game is actually invigorating. The interactive world is so much fun, and the fact they put so much time into the sayings and the things you can do, I amAs a female gamer who has logged countless hours in Black ops and Left 4 Dead 2, this game is not only refreshing but absolutely hilarious. From the moment I started the game I was laughing non stop, and even on easy the challenge of the game is actually invigorating. The interactive world is so much fun, and the fact they put so much time into the sayings and the things you can do, I am so thrilled I decided to buys. Not for the easily offended or people with a weak sense of humor, but if you were either those then why did you even look at this game in the first place! Happy alien hunting! Expand
  9. Jun 14, 2011
    Anyone who gave this game a rating of 6 or less is nothing more than a whiney douche p*ssy anal retentive troll not worthy of the fun the game brings. IT'S FUN. Is it revolutionary? No. But then I wasn't expecting that. Been playing it for a few hours now and having a blast with the Duke. Anyone complaining about graphics, your IQ is probably below 80. If you want revolutionary, goAnyone who gave this game a rating of 6 or less is nothing more than a whiney douche p*ssy anal retentive troll not worthy of the fun the game brings. IT'S FUN. Is it revolutionary? No. But then I wasn't expecting that. Been playing it for a few hours now and having a blast with the Duke. Anyone complaining about graphics, your IQ is probably below 80. If you want revolutionary, go somewhere else. If you want a trip down memory lane with an old friend, you shouldn't be disappointed. Maybe if this game does half decent, they can have the means needed to produce a "better" product or whatever these idiots seem to think the game doesn't have. The demo doesn't do the game any justice, if you still aren't for sure to get it or not, wait til there is a sale on steam and pick it up. Expand
  10. Jun 14, 2011
    I do not get the hate for this game. The toilet humor is pretty bad and the AI is dumb as bricks but the actual game itself has a lot of variety. There is plenty of puzzles, driving levels, boss battles, and cool levels. The design is a bit dated but if you weren't expecting that, I don't know what to say other than this game was in development for 12 years, it's going to show it's age.I do not get the hate for this game. The toilet humor is pretty bad and the AI is dumb as bricks but the actual game itself has a lot of variety. There is plenty of puzzles, driving levels, boss battles, and cool levels. The design is a bit dated but if you weren't expecting that, I don't know what to say other than this game was in development for 12 years, it's going to show it's age. The beginning levels were kinda of boring but every review I have seen suck focuses on those levels and the toilet humor. Makes me wonder if they played the game from beginning to end. I saw IGN's gameplay commentary video and the guy was very early in the game already complaining about it, didn't seem like it was going to get a fair chance after seeing that. Now this game is no 10/10 but it certainly deserves better than what the reviews are saying. I'm giving a 10/10 because I know that is going to get downvoted pretty bad. Expand
  11. Jun 14, 2011
    Kick ass game worth waiting (for me). Sure, the graphics sucks, but who cares? Duke doesn't need graphics like Crysis to kick some asses. The game has everything - babes, puzzles, mini games, cars..
  12. Jun 14, 2011
    This game has been in development hell for ages, it shows. When you think about it, something that has been worked on, on and off for 13 years. You don't expect it to be a game that has been in continuous development and polishing for 13 years, I think many people get this wrong. Its been started, ended, restarted, changes graphic engine at least 3 times, been through financial hell andThis game has been in development hell for ages, it shows. When you think about it, something that has been worked on, on and off for 13 years. You don't expect it to be a game that has been in continuous development and polishing for 13 years, I think many people get this wrong. Its been started, ended, restarted, changes graphic engine at least 3 times, been through financial hell and back and to hell again. This is a game that should have come out around 2001-2003.

Now, enough defending its production cycle and the obvious reason for why the game is as oldschool as it is. If you are able to let your mind wander back 10 years when you play it, you will understand everything about how the game plays. And then you will have fun.. that is if you like Duke Nukem and not just what you think you like because you have read somewhere that Duke was fun but you never played it because you where to young or never bothered recently because the graphics are so bad..

The game is quite good, at least that is what i think. There is a lot of variety, diving stages, turret stages, strip club, tons of mini games and hidden fun. Especially the tinyDuke levels are pretty well designed. Bosses are fun, and the guns are good too. And i didn't even experience a single bug on my playthrough. That's got to be a first right? Still not without it flaws, its a nostaligafest of the rare, and i know most people wanted a UnrealHalf-LifeHaloUnchartedSeriousSam game.. But all you get is Duke Nukem, and that is all I wanted.
  13. Jun 14, 2011
  14. Jun 14, 2011
    Let me just say that I have never played a Duke Nukem game before. That being said, I really enjoy this game so far. I don't know why everyone thinks the graphics suck, I think they're all right. Guns are solid, and Duke's one-liners are hilarious. So far, I'm at the casino, the aliens are fun to fight, shooting is solid, storyline is basic and funny, and there are nice little breaks fromLet me just say that I have never played a Duke Nukem game before. That being said, I really enjoy this game so far. I don't know why everyone thinks the graphics suck, I think they're all right. Guns are solid, and Duke's one-liners are hilarious. So far, I'm at the casino, the aliens are fun to fight, shooting is solid, storyline is basic and funny, and there are nice little breaks from the shooting. I don't care that it took 14 years to make, it's a good game. The only reason I took off a point is because of the two weapon limit. Not a fan of it. Expand
  15. Jun 14, 2011
    Don't going in thinking 'it's been 12 years, I better see something amazing'. That's like going into a comedy movie and expecting to see oscar performances. Drop your expectations back down, remember, it's still just a game. Look at the lead character. he's a campy, one liner from a time of better movies, and silent protagonists. The gameplay gets switched up alot, and while no singleDon't going in thinking 'it's been 12 years, I better see something amazing'. That's like going into a comedy movie and expecting to see oscar performances. Drop your expectations back down, remember, it's still just a game. Look at the lead character. he's a campy, one liner from a time of better movies, and silent protagonists. The gameplay gets switched up alot, and while no single mechanic really stands out, they are all still solid and they work well. The star of the show is what you bought this game for, and the Duke shines, he is raunchy, sexist, and above all.. it's hilarious.

If you want an award winning game, go somewhere else. But if you can drop your huge expectations, crack a few beers and have a good time.. pop this sucker in. I'm lovin it. Hail to the king, baby!
  16. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is a defined good FPS game that has been in the makings of 14 years. By the release date, I decided to grab the PC version as the game had a good quality. The multiplayer action that I've experience is good, but I had disconnecting issues probably because the game was released on North America launch date. The single player is good as the story follows the game through.Duke Nukem Forever is a defined good FPS game that has been in the makings of 14 years. By the release date, I decided to grab the PC version as the game had a good quality. The multiplayer action that I've experience is good, but I had disconnecting issues probably because the game was released on North America launch date. The single player is good as the story follows the game through. You get to face many enemies in the game and there is a lot of interaction. One downside to this game is that you could only hold "Two weapons" which you would decide on which weapon you would like to keep. Jon St. John's voice acting is back and Duke is back then ever. I rate this game a 9/10 mainly because of the well defined action FPS gameplay... Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2011
    The game feels a bit unfinished, and the two weapon limit as well as regenerating health both bother me. However, keeping that in mind this...game is still far better than games the major "professional critics" have given game of the year to for the last three to four years. The humor is outstanding in it's B movie style charm, with over the top machismo straight out of an 80s action film.The game feels a bit unfinished, and the two weapon limit as well as regenerating health both bother me. However, keeping that in mind this...game is still far better than games the major "professional critics" have given game of the year to for the last three to four years. The humor is outstanding in it's B movie style charm, with over the top machismo straight out of an 80s action film. Some games can't laugh at themselves, but Duke isn't one of them. Expand
  18. Jun 14, 2011
    It's funny that I read all the critic reviews bemoaning that the game does not blow them away on all fronts, and how dare Duke not have really evolved as a character since DN3D. 'It's horrible it's terrible it's painful to play!' they all scream.

And then, buried somewhere in the mass of verbiage, there's the line 'But it's fun.' I think that single line sums up this game. It's not MEANT to be a Halo Gears of War: Call of Battleground Honor. Yes, the mouse aiming is terribad on occasion. I'm betting on a patch soon on that. And really that's my only complaint about it.

It's a fun game. Period. Do I dislike the bits of all the other modern cover based shooters that snuck into it? Sure. But, am I going to whine about it and deny that I enjoyed the game thoroughly? Hell no.
  19. Jun 14, 2011
    give this game a chance..yes, its not revolutionary, yes, its not up to par with todays standards..if ur a pc gamer from the 90's u will give this game the chance it deserves and ou will play as if you were playing it in the 90's, cause thats where it belongs...thats how it feels...dont go expecting groundbreaking stuff, expect it as it is...a duke nukem game..full of charm, nonsense,give this game a chance..yes, its not revolutionary, yes, its not up to par with todays standards..if ur a pc gamer from the 90's u will give this game the chance it deserves and ou will play as if you were playing it in the 90's, cause thats where it belongs...thats how it feels...dont go expecting groundbreaking stuff, expect it as it is...a duke nukem game..full of charm, nonsense, nasty awesome stuff... Expand
  20. Jun 14, 2011
    Graphics bad? maybe. Graphics fun? Yes! Gameplay mechanics bad? Nope! Gameplay mechanics fun? YES! i really love todays games like The Witcher 2, Mass Effect, Company of Heroes to name a few, but when I play (and just to play 14 years ago) Duke Nukem I expect plain funny fun! Well, Duke Nukem Forever delivers that with only a small compromise, the graphics... well I don't care! The 10 isGraphics bad? maybe. Graphics fun? Yes! Gameplay mechanics bad? Nope! Gameplay mechanics fun? YES! i really love todays games like The Witcher 2, Mass Effect, Company of Heroes to name a few, but when I play (and just to play 14 years ago) Duke Nukem I expect plain funny fun! Well, Duke Nukem Forever delivers that with only a small compromise, the graphics... well I don't care! The 10 is for the fun to be had with DNF, if you are able to enjoy life, eghegheheheeee! Expand
  21. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem is great fun! thats what its all about. Who gives a flying f*ck that the graphics are UT engine, they still look very good!!! People who rate it low are just whining pathetic most likely COD players!. Duke Nukem is everything I exptected Dukes Ego, funny comments, crudeness and interaction. Its a great game to play its not serious and hilarious in most parts. People forget whatDuke Nukem is great fun! thats what its all about. Who gives a flying f*ck that the graphics are UT engine, they still look very good!!! People who rate it low are just whining pathetic most likely COD players!. Duke Nukem is everything I exptected Dukes Ego, funny comments, crudeness and interaction. Its a great game to play its not serious and hilarious in most parts. People forget what Duke is about! Expand
  22. Jun 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Hail to the King!"
    Lange, wirklich lange mussten die Duke Fans warten! Bis auf ein paar kleine nicht so schöne sachen (aussenlevels, nicht ganz so schlaue Gegner), Geb ich dem Duke trotzdem volle Punkte: Weil er einfach der King ist und seid langen mal wieder ein Char ist, der nicht nur stumpsinnig rumlatscht...er rockt einfach - weil er so ist wie er ist!!!

"Let`s Rock!"
  23. Jun 14, 2011
    There are a few things you gotta keep in mind when you are playing this game. Duke Nukem...Duke Nukem...and Duke Nukem. Many of the reviews I have read simply don't seem to understand Duke Nukem or the intentions of this game. This game was everything it was supposed to be. Do not expect candy and flowers. Expect Duke Nukem to be Duke Nukem with bad jokes, harsh language, and plenty ofThere are a few things you gotta keep in mind when you are playing this game. Duke Nukem...Duke Nukem...and Duke Nukem. Many of the reviews I have read simply don't seem to understand Duke Nukem or the intentions of this game. This game was everything it was supposed to be. Do not expect candy and flowers. Expect Duke Nukem to be Duke Nukem with bad jokes, harsh language, and plenty of explosions. This game follows along the same lines of game play as 3D did. It is pretty linear, another outrageous storyline, plenty of fun gunfights and bossfights that are classic Duke. However, that being said. This is not 3D. This is not the groundbreaking game 3D was. Has its flaws like all new games but that doesn't make it the awful crap most people here are trying to make it seem. If you can take maturity and classic politically incorrect humor than you will like this game. So in summary, if you do not have "Balls Of Steel", you will not like this game as it was not created for an audience like you. Expand
  24. Jun 14, 2011
    9 Although not perfect on level design and technology, Duke Nukem forever is a fun experience where you can laugh out loud behind your pc screen.

Interactivity, humor and obscene over the top action is something you don't see that often anymore in games, destroy concrete around pillars, check, solve puzzles, check, shoot limbs of enemies, check, have cool body awareness, check, have animations for nearly every action, check, these are things you don't see in any fps all together...

Duke Nukem forever is a great game with its flaws, but it shows gamers the cool no-nonsense, not to serious gameplay of the time when gaming was fun! not serious military **** as every game of today.
  25. Jun 14, 2011
    This game isn't as groundbreaking as DN3D. But it has everything it needs to make a Duke Nukem game. The beer, the **** the bad mouth humor, and some blood. Anybody who says this game is bad is whining because it doesn't look like your fabled CoD series. Well news to these **** WE DON'T WANT GAMES TO LOOK LIKE COD. CoD is just fast paced, no logic, brain stimulation. Duke Nukem requiresThis game isn't as groundbreaking as DN3D. But it has everything it needs to make a Duke Nukem game. The beer, the **** the bad mouth humor, and some blood. Anybody who says this game is bad is whining because it doesn't look like your fabled CoD series. Well news to these **** WE DON'T WANT GAMES TO LOOK LIKE COD. CoD is just fast paced, no logic, brain stimulation. Duke Nukem requires you to think a little, unlike CoD where the object of the game is to kill everything that isn't marked green. Games like DNF are games that will go down in history as a badly reviewed game, but a fan loved game. I recommend this game to TRUE GAMERS. Any regular CoD players should let this one by, you will find this game far too hard for your brain capacity. Expand
  26. Jun 14, 2011
    Hell as frozen over, pigs have flown and Duke Nukem Forever is finally here and whilst it could never have lived up to its hype it has broken the boundaries of what can be put into a game. The game is basically an old school shooter with modern graphics and references. If you want a game that's realistic or a new modern day shooter then you'll want to pass this. If you want a fun, actionHell as frozen over, pigs have flown and Duke Nukem Forever is finally here and whilst it could never have lived up to its hype it has broken the boundaries of what can be put into a game. The game is basically an old school shooter with modern graphics and references. If you want a game that's realistic or a new modern day shooter then you'll want to pass this. If you want a fun, action packed and adrenaline thrilled campaign with great set-piece moments, humours dialog and that Duke Nukem attitude then settle back for one great steroid and beer fueled ride. Defiantly not a game for "Cod Kids" Expand
  27. Jun 14, 2011
    Fun Game, Great Game play, Challenging at times, like most good games should be. Al you people hating and just feeding into hate hype. This is a great game. This is a true sequel to the original. Only bad thing is that the game need more multi-player and some mod tools. Port to xbox and ps3 I hear is a bad port example. Bad load times, Bad graphics... the pc version had comparable graphicsFun Game, Great Game play, Challenging at times, like most good games should be. Al you people hating and just feeding into hate hype. This is a great game. This is a true sequel to the original. Only bad thing is that the game need more multi-player and some mod tools. Port to xbox and ps3 I hear is a bad port example. Bad load times, Bad graphics... the pc version had comparable graphics to the newest games and 30 second load times. overall I find this a fun game to play, I'm going through my second run right now. Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2011
    Had to give this a 10 to offset the typical rage 0's thrown down by emo kids and crybabies. Sadly this game can't really get much respect in the current age we live in. Too many people overly sensitive and too easily offended. Cry me a river folks. This game will be fun for any old school type guy or fan of the series in general. It is by no means perfect and my true score would be closerHad to give this a 10 to offset the typical rage 0's thrown down by emo kids and crybabies. Sadly this game can't really get much respect in the current age we live in. Too many people overly sensitive and too easily offended. Cry me a river folks. This game will be fun for any old school type guy or fan of the series in general. It is by no means perfect and my true score would be closer to 7.5 - 8 . Regardless, this game is loads of goofy fun and it will bring back memories. Enjoy the game for what it is folks. If you are overly feminist, easily offended, or too sensitive, dont waste your time on this. This game is not for emo cry babies. I could continue to ramble but. "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum." Expand
  29. Jun 15, 2011
    I really get sick of so called "reviewers" ripping on games when they have no real basis of comparison, no concept of what a game is supposed to be, or just want to put down a game because they did like it. The very idea of a review is to remain objective and know what you are talking about. That little rant aside. This is my mini-review of Duke Nukem Forever.

First off, this is NOT meant

First off, this is NOT meant to be "old-school" Duke Nukem. It's a squeal, a continuation of the series, more than just a "reboot". I was there in line waiting on my copy of Duke Nukem 3D when it hit the shelves. I still own that original copy I purchased back then. I own and have played every incarnation of Duke Nukem ever released on every platform it was ever released on. Duke Nukem Forever is not any of it. It is its own game, and this is a very good thing. It is what I was personally hoping it would be. I mean come on, this is 2011, I don't want that 90's gaming experience, as much as I may have loved it back then. I wanted a more modern game and that's what I get with DNF.

Story and content wise, it's Duke Nukem to the core, no doubt. This game really pushes that "Rated M" to the limit. It is the same story with the same "adult" content I remember from the Duke. The game has not been reduced, edited for content, or otherwise censored. Thank god for that. The gameplay is nice as well. Very easy to control and there is a lot of stuff in the world to interact with. I have played through the game a full two times now and not one time did I have any issues related to actually playing the game. You get some of the "little Duke" action as you run around while all shrunk down trying to complete a task. You get to battle the classic monsters as well as some new ones and bosses. The classic weapon set is there with a few fun ones thrown in as well. Blow off limbs and "interact" with objects in the game to unlock a fun list of 50 Steam achievements. Don't forget about the ladies, they are the reason you are in the battle, remember? Not to mention the "Mighty Foot". From a technology standpoint, the game is nothing special. If I am not mistaken the game runs on a highly modified Unreal Engine 2.5, and they did a great job of utilizing the engine to the best of it's abilities. It's not ground breaking by any means, but it's not supposed to be. This game has been in development for so long and across so many different engines that I am surprised it came out as good as it did. It's not going to push the limits of any half was decent gaming PC that's for sure. One noteworthy fact about DNF, it is NOT a console port. The single player campaign was created for PC from the ground up and it was then later ported TO console after it was completed. The reverse of what we often see these days. The graphics are great. Nothing Earth shattering like I said above, but you can tell they pushed the limit of the engine and used it very well. If you want ground breaking graphics, you just have to wait for BF3 like the rest of us. For Duke Nukem, these graphics serve him, and the game, quite well across all platforms. The sounds in the game are also well done. The topper being the fact that Jon St.John reprises his role as the voice of Duke Nukem. Not only do you get many of the classic phrases we have loved for so many years, but literally dozens more that just make the overall game experience so much more enjoyable.

Overall I give the game high marks. I got what I expected out of Duke Nukem Forever, a fun and entertaining adult game that does justice to the name without taking me back to the 90's, except for the fact I had just as much fun playing DNF as I did Duke Nukem 3D. I did not place the game on such a high pedestal that makes it nearly impossible to meet, something far too many people do these days. It is reminiscent of what used to be fun about playing Duke Nukem 3D, but for a modern time, I think they did a great job bringing Duke back and I look forward to seeing where he goes next.
  30. Jun 14, 2011
    Dude this game is $#@&%#@ EPIC! A must buy. Non stop comedy. The Game is designed to feel like the Original Titles. There isn't any fancy new game-play style. Just good old Duke. So you haters gonna hate.
  31. Jun 14, 2011
    To be fair, this turned out to be as expected, an enjoyable homage to DN3D, It nods its head to oldschool, even if it has its foibles (2 weapon loadouts grr). I for one grew up at the right time and had the opportunity to play wolfenstien 3d, doom (and all its incarnations) quake etc. etc. (and ofc. DN3D) on thier respective first releases. I for one have missed the borderline humour,To be fair, this turned out to be as expected, an enjoyable homage to DN3D, It nods its head to oldschool, even if it has its foibles (2 weapon loadouts grr). I for one grew up at the right time and had the opportunity to play wolfenstien 3d, doom (and all its incarnations) quake etc. etc. (and ofc. DN3D) on thier respective first releases. I for one have missed the borderline humour, gibbing and no story line, "kill everything that moves" types of games. DNF is fun and most negative reviews seem to come from the console kids of today the have no respect for thier elders, if it wasn't for 3d Realms, ID software and the like, you wouldnt have Call of battlefield - Medal Mass Halo Dragon war 3. Expand
  32. Jun 14, 2011
    Epic game, reminds me what FPS games are all about.

Bug free 10-12 hour campaign. Great humour and dialog. Fantastic interactive mini-games. And solid multiplayer. Dont listen to all these guys trying to hate on it due to dated gameplay (its called retro, i.e. it feels more like half-life 2 than black ops) or that its 'offensive' (dont like the humour dont play it, not hard huh?)
    Epic game, reminds me what FPS games are all about.

Bug free 10-12 hour campaign.

Great humour and dialog.

Fantastic interactive mini-games.

And solid multiplayer.

Most of them are just trolling so they gain alot of hits on review sites, since being controversial gets more hits these days.

Must buy! - From a very patient avid PC gamer.
  33. Jun 15, 2011
    This is a Duke Nuke 'Em game. Anyone looking for bleeding edge graphics and intricate storylines will be sorely disappointed. But! If you are looking for kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out, one liners galore, machoism, steroid abusing, beer drinking, womanizing good time, the DNF is you. It's 14 years since the last game, and they acknowledge that. In fact, there are in jokes galoreThis is a Duke Nuke 'Em game. Anyone looking for bleeding edge graphics and intricate storylines will be sorely disappointed. But! If you are looking for kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out, one liners galore, machoism, steroid abusing, beer drinking, womanizing good time, the DNF is you. It's 14 years since the last game, and they acknowledge that. In fact, there are in jokes galore to the state of the gaming industry and how it's changed since the last Duke game. It's fun. Simply put. Unique in game puzzles, but, nothing that's never been done before, different weapon choices, but, nothing that's not been done before... in fact, most everything in DNF has been done before because it really set the standard for FPS games. It makes fun of them, and itself, and is really just a fun game. And that's why we play these, to be entertained. You'll be laughing at epic things that you pull off in game, and at the dialogue and events happening in the game. This is low brow humor, folks. Don't fool yourself. This game comes from a different era of gaming, and it's busting in on all the new serious games that are all about recreating real life intricately, but missing those simple elements that make DNF great: Making fun of itself. Mind you, I'll still be playing BF3 when it comes out, but for what this game is, it's exactly as it should be. Expand
  34. Jun 14, 2011
    I'll start by saying that if you like south park, you will really enjoy the warped humor in this game. If you are happy with Call of Duty style liner FPS shooters, then you will be fine with the gameplay. If you don't think graphics are the be all and end all of what a game should be, then you will be fine with this (and they are not THAT bad, really).

I can say that I really enjoyed

I can say that I really enjoyed this game, and I think if you can agree with the above points, you will too.
  35. Jun 14, 2011
    Don't believe the rubbish about this game being poor. It's enjoyable, funny, and action packed. And isn't that the best we can hope for in a shooter?
  36. Jun 15, 2011
    Great Game. Not sure why so many folks are bashing it. I haven't seen any slow load times, graphics look fine so far. But it isn't a CoD clone so guess that's why people are upset.
  37. Jun 15, 2011
    I've got to admit first that I followed this game for it's entire 14 years of development. However I'd like to point out that I'm also aware that this Build of the game didn't take 14 years to make, it took 5. Remember that DNF was scrapped several times until it's final attempt to make it.

That said, I went on to play the game for the first time with really high expectations, the highest possible. And yes, the game didn't meet them, of course. Nothing can meet such hype and expectation built for over a decade.

Still the game managed to keep me entertained throughout it's entirety and even had me rolling on the floor laughing. The game IS fun. You only need to know that this isn't supposed to be the second coming of Christ. It's a funny enjoyable game.

It has it's flaws, yes. Like the linearity, sometimes empty rooms, and so on. Still, for me, the good out weighed the bad. I'm one of the lucky people that had fun with the game and didn't finish it in disappointment. I'd like to say thank you to everyone that made this game possible. I sure had a blast playing it and I know I'll keep on trying to find more secrets and references. Get the game! Don't let the bad reviews discourage you. It's cool to talk trash about Duke Forever on every review, but you don't have to be like that. You have a mind of your own. Try the game, and then make up your own opinion about it. HAVE FUN!
  38. Jun 14, 2011
    Surprisingly game turned out to be pretty good. I really enjoyed my time with DNF singleplayer. Yes, game is not perfect, yes graphics are outdated (NOT bad but outdated), yes it has lots of flaws and unpolished moments, yes just 2 weapons at the time sucks, but the sum of this is a good singleplayer game and worthy Duke Nukem successor. (My score is 8/10, although i rated it 10/10 toSurprisingly game turned out to be pretty good. I really enjoyed my time with DNF singleplayer. Yes, game is not perfect, yes graphics are outdated (NOT bad but outdated), yes it has lots of flaws and unpolished moments, yes just 2 weapons at the time sucks, but the sum of this is a good singleplayer game and worthy Duke Nukem successor. (My score is 8/10, although i rated it 10/10 to counter this low score reviews **** going on about game right now). Expand
  39. Jun 18, 2011
    I am dumbfounded who can say this game sucks.
    Maybe your system sucks but it runs flawless on my GTX275 core i7
    Its old school and not complicated as it should be. i deff smell cod fanboys at large. This game is fun.. period. i just fin ished the first run and think it was worth every penny. Its a good time . if you played Duke from the original this is something you will enjoy. run
    I am dumbfounded who can say this game sucks.
    Maybe your system sucks but it runs flawless on my GTX275 core i7
    run and gun with hilarity through out.
  40. Jun 15, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever, while not the epitome of perfection, is certainly one hell of ride. Don't listen to the reviewers, give this game a try yourself to be totally honest. Most of these critics play this game on console, which is really a slab dab port off the PC version. I'd recommend only the PC version as I've tried both the 360 and PC versions of the game and found the combat not onlyDuke Nukem Forever, while not the epitome of perfection, is certainly one hell of ride. Don't listen to the reviewers, give this game a try yourself to be totally honest. Most of these critics play this game on console, which is really a slab dab port off the PC version. I'd recommend only the PC version as I've tried both the 360 and PC versions of the game and found the combat not only more fun on PC, but also flowing more fluid. Plus the console versions really have some very fugly graphics (if you're a graphics whore), long loading times, and a bunch of other port-caused issues. The puzzles are fun, though the pacing of them being thrown feels a little off. The voice acting is pretty laughable, but I think that was intentional. Did you really expect Emmy nominated performances from a game like this? The world is interactive as ever, maybe even more than DN3D.

The multiplayer consists of classic multiplayer modes with a Duke twist. While not exactly ground breaking at all, the multiplayer feels like an ode to the old classic multiplayer style of the 90s, where knowing where the devastator or jetpack spawns makes you the king of the match. Its unforgiving, brutal, and unfair. Feels just like the 90s all over again. Can't you just smell it?
  41. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke is back! Do I need to say more? I was hoping that they kept things similar to the old game without going too much overboard or, even worse, getting pulled into the CoD wagon. And, they pulled it off. The single player campaign has some great moments and it is filled with Duke's humor. Most recently released FPS can really learn something from this one. A good,humorous story litteredDuke is back! Do I need to say more? I was hoping that they kept things similar to the old game without going too much overboard or, even worse, getting pulled into the CoD wagon. And, they pulled it off. The single player campaign has some great moments and it is filled with Duke's humor. Most recently released FPS can really learn something from this one. A good,humorous story littered with puzzles and many details to discover make this a fun experience nobody should miss. Enough said. Time to get some bubble gum... Expand
  42. Dec 15, 2011
    People who rate this game like 3/10 and below, are not to be taken seriously. Even if you didnt really dig it, you cant, YOU JUST CANT, give a negative rating to a game with no bugs, long campaign, decent graphics, plenty of weapons, varied gameplay and alot of humor. And Duke Nukem Forever is all that.â
  43. Jun 14, 2011
    This is a really good game. Sure it's graphics aren't state of the art. Graphics never make a game. The gameplay, however is fantastic. The weapons felt nice and powerful. The monsters put up a fight. And the levels looked neat and the interactivity was crazy. How many games out there allow you to pick up a rat and put it in a microwave? Only this one. All of Duke's humor many of youThis is a really good game. Sure it's graphics aren't state of the art. Graphics never make a game. The gameplay, however is fantastic. The weapons felt nice and powerful. The monsters put up a fight. And the levels looked neat and the interactivity was crazy. How many games out there allow you to pick up a rat and put it in a microwave? Only this one. All of Duke's humor many of you remember from Duke 3D is still there and in droves. There are many, many new Duke lines, plenty of babes and lots of asses to kick. The game is riddled with puzzles that are a nice break from the gunplay. There are tons of easter eggs hidden all over the place. Overall this game is one ass kicking good time. Don't listen to the so called "professional" reviewers at big time gaming site and magazines. Some of them had it out for Duke since day 1. The game isn't perfect however. No game is. The loading times for consoles are somewhat long and very annoying when you die a bunch of times. There are some blurry low resolution textures in some areas. Occasionaly you might fly back after bumping into a wall. Thankfully none of these issues are gamebreaking. If you are tired of boring serious military shooters like Call of Duty, then Duke is the way to go. Expand
  44. Jun 14, 2011
    This game is a blast despite its shortcomings of a two weapon limit, autoregen health, and linear level design. It genuinely feels like I'm playing a DUKE NUKEM game again.
  45. Jun 14, 2011
    Rock solid shooter that made me LAUGH on so many occasions!! What other shooter game delivers that? The Duke is back, the goofiness, craziness we loved is still there and augmented to a whole new level... spend some good time playing it, maybe the only game I truly enjoyed in recent years. These stupid reviewers do not understand the context of the game, the Duke's world.. so to speak..Rock solid shooter that made me LAUGH on so many occasions!! What other shooter game delivers that? The Duke is back, the goofiness, craziness we loved is still there and augmented to a whole new level... spend some good time playing it, maybe the only game I truly enjoyed in recent years. These stupid reviewers do not understand the context of the game, the Duke's world.. so to speak.. and even saying silly things like 90' graphics, while it clearly runs on the current gen. engine... suckers. Expand
  46. Jun 15, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is a lot like a Dan Brown novel - doesn't do anything spectacular but at the same time is very hard to put down. I think people just need to disconnect the time of release from the game. There is a huge variety to the levels, the guns feel and sound good, the ambient sound creates a great atmosphere just like in DN3D, some of the dialog is hilarious and I really enjoyedDuke Nukem Forever is a lot like a Dan Brown novel - doesn't do anything spectacular but at the same time is very hard to put down. I think people just need to disconnect the time of release from the game. There is a huge variety to the levels, the guns feel and sound good, the ambient sound creates a great atmosphere just like in DN3D, some of the dialog is hilarious and I really enjoyed the old school feel a lot of battles had. Graphically, I actually thought it looked great. I grew up with Doom, the first Playstation, and I first knew Pokemon in it's black and white glory on the Gameboy Pocket. So I can appreciate how far games have come and that DNF not only has acceptable graphic quality but it has been designed to actually be NICE to look at (Ghost Town, when you're shrunken inside Dukeburger, crash course level are some that come to mind). The driving sequences are fine and make a nice escape from running everywhere, in fact all of the parts of this game may not be perfect but the sum of those parts make for a kick ass game. And I own the PC version. Expand
  47. Jun 15, 2011
    When you play this you need to think of how games were back in the late 90's. There was no ducking for cover or trying to to get head shots. The game was meant to be straight up, in your face, run around shooting **** before it shoots you and be damned to the box you wanted to hide behind. Most of the bad reviews are reviewing it on the basis of being dated. Well no **** the game is dated.When you play this you need to think of how games were back in the late 90's. There was no ducking for cover or trying to to get head shots. The game was meant to be straight up, in your face, run around shooting **** before it shoots you and be damned to the box you wanted to hide behind. Most of the bad reviews are reviewing it on the basis of being dated. Well no **** the game is dated. Look beyond that and its a GREAT game, graphics are pretty good, game play is what i expected from a Duke game, and its corny 13 year old humor is exactly what it should be. Tit jokes for the sake of tit jokes and punching a alien in the balls just because hes Duke and he can go that kind of thing.

Over all a damn fine game. Nothing innovative, nothing whole **** new, nothing there to wow me graphics wise, but none of that was expected with this game. Also yea, the console version sucks. Try playing Doom 2 on a console and you can expect the same reaction.
  48. Jun 15, 2011
    DKF has every aspect of a modern sci fi FPS meaning many good designed and visually different levels, lot of action scenes with reaction-button-pressing and vast bosses (which some where quite challenging for a person that doesnt play mainly FPS games). The ego items were motivating and beside them there are lots of other items you can interact with for no real purpose. you can even hurtDKF has every aspect of a modern sci fi FPS meaning many good designed and visually different levels, lot of action scenes with reaction-button-pressing and vast bosses (which some where quite challenging for a person that doesnt play mainly FPS games). The ego items were motivating and beside them there are lots of other items you can interact with for no real purpose. you can even hurt youself at the electric socket again which shows how serious gearbox took the details of duke nukem 3D.
    So if you are a total duke fan boy you wont come around his newest, macabre ass kicking adventure. And for non fan boys its worth a try
  49. Jun 27, 2011
    The reviewers have just taken cheap shots against an easy target. It's a barrel of fun, loads of variety, within an hour of play you will have done all sorts of novel things (avoiding spoilers ya see), it's fast and furious and full of entertainment. It's loads of larffs and way more interesting than another crushingly dull, self important CoD clone. Buy it, it's a gas. It's not theThe reviewers have just taken cheap shots against an easy target. It's a barrel of fun, loads of variety, within an hour of play you will have done all sorts of novel things (avoiding spoilers ya see), it's fast and furious and full of entertainment. It's loads of larffs and way more interesting than another crushingly dull, self important CoD clone. Buy it, it's a gas. It's not the best game ever, but the reviews are just wrong Expand
  50. Jun 15, 2011
    Objectively a poor game, but still fun nonetheless - especially for those who have been waiting to revel in the memories of Duke 3D. It's graphics are not up to par, and it certainly can't justify 15 years of development, but it's chauvinism and brainless fun oozes Duke-ness - and that's what we've been missing for 15 years. Not for the jaded or politically correct.
  51. Jun 15, 2011
    As everyone i was waiting for that duke, and like everyone feared the duke end up as "an inspiration for birth control".

While it is not the game of the year, i am really enjoying playing it, and i expect to finish it, not like many other games i started and are still waiting mid-way because "wonderfull graphics, but too boring, too repetitive"... i have "assassin creed" in mind...

The graphics are not "soso" as many says, i would compare it to riddicks chronicles and i think it is the same engine. But engine does not do everything, and the creative dpt in duke succeed i don t know how to make me remind the duke nukem 3d design. The duke penthouse, the casino, are pure rococo style and make a real difference with the seriousness of other games. Anyway, we don t want to play this game for graphics are we? unless you have the chicks in mind.

The gameplay: i hate console, they are the biggest problem in that game as it is again "made with console in mind"

You cannot have more than 2 gun at a time "WTF Duke!", no medikit (still the ego things is pure awsomeness)
    "hit spc rapidly to ..." Come one!? we are using keyboard and mouse, not some updownleftright ABCD controler...
    The flashing door that you can open, the flashing button that you need to press... i suppose console players are kind of dumb people to need such kind of assistance, that was the thing that annyed me the most in "metro 2033" despite the fact i loved that game.

Last complain i get from the game... you cannot intereact much with the chicks, i don t expet to have "an extended play" with them, but something! even some duke random catchy sentences would have suffice... instead of that, the chick will say "thanks for saving my life, i get down on you anytime you want" and that is the end of it.

Now for the goodies:

It's fun! it's gross! it Duke nukem!, half naked chicks, alien humiliation, gratuitious violence againts helpless rats, all is there. Morevoer there is some "non fps" level that are a good time for relax, with mini games, popcorn and vibrato. You will have also some puzzle, and not always very obvious, the level just before the queen **** was very interesting, and you get those... ho! i don t want to spoil.

Anyway come get some!
  52. Jun 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me be totally honest about this game, and I hope this review will help people make the decision to either buy, or not buy this game. When the game first began, I wasn't too impressed. But I have to say as I've progressed further and further into the game, it's gets better and better. I don't know what people are talking about concerning level design, I personally think it's fine the way it is. It's not confusing and to be perfectly frank, you have to be a moron not to figure it out. If all else fails, touch the glowing orange object. Many people also strongly disliked the RC car / Small Duke levels, but I enjoyed them quite a bit. Particularly the kitchen level. It's amusing and so long as you have a shred of hand eye coordination and aren't timing inept, they don't take long at all. I'm starting to think that the people that write negative reviews about this game, both here and on other sites are the type of people that can't enjoy a simple, poorly acted, although hugely entertaining action film. This game is exactly that, hugely entertaining, but certainly not groundbreaking. But really, when was it ever about groundbreaking? People that play this game are playing it for Duke and the detail and complexity found in games such as Crysis would just be overlooked here. When I play this game, I'm not looking around and saying "Wow, this is pretty", I'm saying "Where can I find some f&$king ammo? I wanna blows some **** up".

If you want to go out and have some good, bloody fun with big ass guns, amusing one-liners, chicks, explosions and almost unlimited ammo at times, then you'll enjoy this game in it's entirety. If you're looking for the next technological ground breaking masterpiece, then go elsewhere and stop putting this game down for something it's not trying to be in the first place. Take it as it is and enjoy it.
  53. Jun 15, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever brings fun back into the FPS genre with humorous details and funny one liners throughout the game. The single player campaign took me about 10 hours (on hard)which included world exploring, but its still easily more than the modern shooters last. Game has some great moments and the interactive stuff like air hockey, pool and such are nice small additions to the game.Duke Nukem Forever brings fun back into the FPS genre with humorous details and funny one liners throughout the game. The single player campaign took me about 10 hours (on hard)which included world exploring, but its still easily more than the modern shooters last. Game has some great moments and the interactive stuff like air hockey, pool and such are nice small additions to the game. Finding all the ego boosts is also rewarding. The story and character is essentially over the top satire. The humor references are towards other games, movies and pop culture. The puzzles are great and pace the game nicely. The puzzles aren't too hard to figure out, but they add that something that modern FPS genre lacks. The levels feel unique and provide interesting twists to gameplay. Game has quite a lot of scripted sequences. Some of them lack a bit of polish and one or two areas seem to be somewhat unfinished. On the other note the game does have few moments and areas that are so well done that you forget playing a bit outdated and unpolished FPS game. The weapons include all the old Duke Nukem 3D weapons and throws in few new ones. Weapons are a smart mix of conventional, alien and fun. The weapons feel and sound powerful and delivers a good immersion that you're not shooting a bb gun. The 2 gun limitation does seem like a console game limitation, but in the end it didn't bother me at all. There is usually separately mapped explosives and powerups one can use to his benefit in the fight. Boss fights provide unique challenges and end in amusing fatalities. Duke's ego, itself a parody of regenerating health systems, provides some respite from the occasionally punishing combat and brutal enemy characters. Game graphics don't look that dated when compared to modern FPS games. The graphics benefit a lot for its mix of realism and a bit cartoonish style since that gives it more longevity. As a comparison Borderlands and World of Warcraft do look nice even after so many years. Generally most of the outdoors areas don't have the vibrancy of most indoor levels, which are rendered well. Post-processing effects often tend to miss the mark and some explosions and weapon effects don't always look too good while other effects and dynamic soft shadows look very nice. The level geometry is mostly for the low end and while static meshes are detailed, this is a game that's meant to run better than it looks. Overall, the game is fun from start to finnish, despite the lack of polish in some areas, makes for a uniquely hand-crafted experience that stays with you. I would recommend this to all the fans of old style FPS games, duke fans and to people who just wants to have fun playing a game that doesn't take itself too serious. Those interested in graphics or modern "realistic" titles with tighter, combat to combat scripting like the Call of Duty or Battlefield series might want to wait till this one is on sale. Expand
  54. Jun 15, 2011
    This game brings it. I sense conspiracy with the so called 'professional' reviewers, and maybe their mommies should take away their xbox360's for a week to punish them (most clearly arent PC gamers) . On PC, it plays sweet, runs well and is packed with awesome dukiness!
  55. Jun 15, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever brings fun back into the FPS genre with humorous details and funny one liners throughout the game. The single player campaign took me about 10 hours (on hard) which included world exploring, but its still easily more than the modern shooters last. Game has some great moments and the interactive stuff like air hockey, pool and such are nice small additions to the game.Duke Nukem Forever brings fun back into the FPS genre with humorous details and funny one liners throughout the game. The single player campaign took me about 10 hours (on hard) which included world exploring, but its still easily more than the modern shooters last. Game has some great moments and the interactive stuff like air hockey, pool and such are nice small additions to the game. Finding all the ego boosts is also rewarding. The story and character is essentially over the top satire. The humor references are towards other games, movies and pop culture. The puzzles are great and pace the game nicely. The puzzles aren't too hard to figure out, but they add that something that modern FPS genre lacks. The levels feel unique and provide interesting twists to gameplay. Game has quite a lot of scripted sequences. Some of them lack a bit of polish and one or two areas seem to be somewhat unfinished. On the other note the game does have few moments and areas that are so well done that you forget playing a bit outdated and unpolished FPS game. The weapons include all the old Duke Nukem 3D weapons and throws in few new ones. Weapons are a smart mix of conventional, alien and fun. The weapons feel and sound powerful and delivers a good immersion that you're not shooting a bb gun. The 2 gun limitation does seem like a console game limitation, but in the end it didn't bother me at all. There is usually separately mapped explosives and powerups one can use to his benefit in the fight.Boss fights provide unique challenges and end in amusing fatalities. Duke's ego, itself a parody of regenerating health systems, provides some respite from the occasionally punishing combat and brutal enemy characters. Game graphics don't look that dated when compared to modern FPS games. The graphics benefit a lot for its mix of realism and a bit cartoonish style and gives it more longevity. As a comparison Borderlands and World of Warcraft do look nice even after so many years. Generally most of the outdoors areas don't have the vibrancy of most indoor levels, which are rendered well. Post-processing effects often tend to miss the mark and some explosions and weapon effects don't always look too good while other effects and dynamic soft shadows look very nice. The level geometry is mostly for the low end and while static meshes are detailed, this is a game that's meant to run better than it looks. Is the game worth of the 14 years wait? No, but does that make the game a bad one? No and in overall, the game is fun and enjoyable from start to finnish, despite the lack of polish in some areas, makes for a uniquely hand-crafted experience that stays with you. I would recommend this game to all the fans of old style FPS games, duke fans and to people who just wants to have fun playing a game that doesn't take itself too serious. Those interested in graphics or modern "realistic" titles with tighter, combat to combat scripting like the Call of Duty or Battlefield series might want to wait till this one is on sale. Expand
  56. Jun 15, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is even better than I expected. It is enough "old school"for me, the graphics are - given the age of the engine - very good, the game-play is enjoyable and Dukes immortal humor is to be found around every corner. Even though many think otherwise, even after 14 years I did not expect more than what I got.
  57. Jun 15, 2011
    The people that hate this are call of duty fan boys or bought it on a console. Duke is meant for PC. Modding will fix most of the issues. It is not perfect but it is not awful either. If you payed $60 bucks for it that is your own fault. There are so many worst games out there than this one. The really low scores are really not justifiable. I was happy with some things and upset aboutThe people that hate this are call of duty fan boys or bought it on a console. Duke is meant for PC. Modding will fix most of the issues. It is not perfect but it is not awful either. If you payed $60 bucks for it that is your own fault. There are so many worst games out there than this one. The really low scores are really not justifiable. I was happy with some things and upset about others but with the PC there is hope of mods. Always bet on Duke for the PC! Expand
  58. Jun 15, 2011
    One of the few FPS games I actually completed. It was a wild ride and I LOVED IT! Fun factor is a 10 for sure! The graphics are awesome in some spots and mediocre in others. It's Duke Nukem all the way! I'm going to replay it, and that NEVER happens with an FPS for me. It was just so much action! Finallya game that puts gameplay first! The story? Well those alien bastards are taking ourOne of the few FPS games I actually completed. It was a wild ride and I LOVED IT! Fun factor is a 10 for sure! The graphics are awesome in some spots and mediocre in others. It's Duke Nukem all the way! I'm going to replay it, and that NEVER happens with an FPS for me. It was just so much action! Finallya game that puts gameplay first! The story? Well those alien bastards are taking our chicks and we Duke has to stop em, of course! Epic game, why so much hate? Just enjoy it.

9/10!
  59. Jun 15, 2011
    I bought DN Forever hoping for a real Duke experience following DN 3d. Wow! A great followup to the original with lots of cheek and attitude. I am sorry a lot of people expected something different. I see a lot of reviews wishing for a COD type experience. Too bad they missed the whole point and a lot of fun. This game delivers exactly as promised. If you expect the Duke then youI bought DN Forever hoping for a real Duke experience following DN 3d. Wow! A great followup to the original with lots of cheek and attitude. I am sorry a lot of people expected something different. I see a lot of reviews wishing for a COD type experience. Too bad they missed the whole point and a lot of fun. This game delivers exactly as promised. If you expect the Duke then you won't be disappointed. Expand
  60. Jun 15, 2011
    I used to semi value both IGN and Gamespot's reviews of games...but seriously who paid them off? Either that or their staff is composed of kids fresh out of high school that just don't "get it". Regardless of what all the naysayers are saying, DNF is a fun romp with an old friend. Those who are hung up on terms of revolutionary and ground breaking are on some serious mind altering drugs.I used to semi value both IGN and Gamespot's reviews of games...but seriously who paid them off? Either that or their staff is composed of kids fresh out of high school that just don't "get it". Regardless of what all the naysayers are saying, DNF is a fun romp with an old friend. Those who are hung up on terms of revolutionary and ground breaking are on some serious mind altering drugs. This game was meant to "just be done" - we didn't care about new fangled stuff...just wanted it to happen. I've played enough of it to know they did try to care about what they were doing. All these retards saying stuff about 14 years in development are really showing their stupidity. Gearbox etc. JUST began working on it within the last couple of years...that's ALL of the "development time" spent. Dear God, please save some of us from all of the stupidity in this world. IGN and GAMESPOT...FOR SHAME. Expand
  61. Jun 15, 2011
    DavoX got it EXACTLY RIGHT...read his review for an honest opinion from a non sheeple. IGN and GAMESPOT...you have lost all credibility with me after over 10 years of agreeing with most of your reviews and respecting your input. You both obviously are spineless. Having said that...DNF is exactly what I was expecting in the game. Nothing groundbreaking or blah blah, but a hell of a lot ofDavoX got it EXACTLY RIGHT...read his review for an honest opinion from a non sheeple. IGN and GAMESPOT...you have lost all credibility with me after over 10 years of agreeing with most of your reviews and respecting your input. You both obviously are spineless. Having said that...DNF is exactly what I was expecting in the game. Nothing groundbreaking or blah blah, but a hell of a lot of fun. Thoroughly enjoyed it and pity to all those who won't play it now because of all the sheeple reviews. Expand
  62. Oct 12, 2011
    Does DNF feature ground-breaking graphics and visual effects that many gamers look for in the new titles they play? No. Does DNF raise the bar in the multiplayer arena with more realism and more tactics? Arguable, but still no. Then what does DNF do? Deliver a fun, entertaining FPS experience that is challenging and player-friendly.

Sure, I can't press a button to force myself to take

Sure, I can't press a button to force myself to take cover, but this was never meant to be a game about real-life tactics. This is a satire on life. As far as I'm concerned, DNF has delivered a fun, humerous, and entertaining experience. All you roody-poo fan-boys giving this game anything < 7 should've been beaten more by your parents; you whine and expect to get everything you want. You're whats wrong with America. And that's what really grinds my gears.
  63. Mar 21, 2012
    Got this game from a Steam promotion and i was a bit disapointed with the very low overall score. Its extremely underrated, really, i had lots of fun with this game, Its Duke for God sake, one of the best characters ever and only 54? pfft. Well this game has a good gameplay with some okay graphics but what really enjoyed in this game is the interracion that we have and also the catchGot this game from a Steam promotion and i was a bit disapointed with the very low overall score. Its extremely underrated, really, i had lots of fun with this game, Its Duke for God sake, one of the best characters ever and only 54? pfft. Well this game has a good gameplay with some okay graphics but what really enjoyed in this game is the interracion that we have and also the catch phrases. The one thing i didnt like was the huge lag in the multiplayer, its was more like break dance than a multiplayer, but overall a 9 is what it gets from me. Hail to King Baby!!! Expand
  64. Jun 17, 2011
    After a 14 year wait, we finally have Duke Nukem Forever in our hands. The game has received some really horrible reviews. Most of these negative reviews complain about the graphics, crude humor, sexist content, or the level design and gameplay. Let me address these one at a time.

Graphics: Yes, the graphics are a little dated. The game is using the unreal engine so it doesnt look as good as some newer games, but its not bad. Crude Humor: What did you expect? Its Duke. People have complained that its unnecessary, and way more crude then Duke3D. Stop for a minute and consider how things were back in the mid to late 90s. The game COULDNT be too crude back then. They pushed the boundaries at the time, but they really couldnt take it to the extremes they wanted. Also, if they hadnt pushed it to the extreme with DNF people would have complained that it wasnt edgy enough. You cant please everyone.

Sexist content: Again, its Duke. Ive read some reviews that say the game is highly offensive to women, and/or that Duke, or the developers hate women. This is just ridiculous. My girlfriend watches me play Duke and she laughs the whole time. The game isnt serious at all, and nobody should take it seriously.

Level Design + Gameplay: Now, I kind of agree with some of the complaints here. I dont really dig the recharging Ego meter instead of a health bar, and the need for health packs. I also dont like the 2 weapon limit. Why cant i kick people anymore!? The level design isnt bad, although I feel as if they may have packed in a few too many little puzzles to solve. its not that big of a deal, but I couldnt have done with a few less puzzles, and more enemies. Overall, I really liked Duke Forever. Im a 29 year old gamer, and I was in high school when Duke3D came out. Over the years almost every FPS has gone with the realistic approach (CoD, Battlefield, ect...). There arent any games that recapture that feel of the oldschool 90s shooters. Duke does just that. I seriously felt like a kid again while running around listening to dukes one-liners, and shooting up some pigs. It was a refreshing change of pace after playing so many games based in reality over the years.

People complain that Duke Nukem Forever doesnt keep up with the times, and it doesnt. Thats one reason why I liked it so much. If they had made a CoD game, and instead of russians put in some pig cops, and pasted Duke in where it would normally be a special forces guy people would have complained that Duke Forever was just trying to be modern, and wasnt creative. I really dont think Duke Forever had any real chance of getting great reviews, because people were expecting it to be the best game ever made and/or perfect because of the long wait. There is no way any game could live up to that hype, not even Duke. The last line you hear from Duke in the game eludes to more Duke games (not a spoiler). I think the next Duke game(s) can start to bridge the gap between totally retro, and more modern. This game needed to be retro though, just to reconnect us with Duke after 14 years, and to give younger games a chance to play a game like we played 14 years ago. now that that is done, Duke can grow up a little.

Yes, I gave Duke a 10. Does it deserve it? Yes and no. It doesnt deserve the 10 for the game itself (id say an 8 is good), but it does deserve a 10 to boost its metascore overall, because I think a lot of people didnt quite get Duke Forever, and gave it horrible reviews for that reason. It doesnt deserve an amazing score, because it doesnt do anything new, and it doesnt break any ground, but its Duke, and its a really fun retro shooter that certainly deserves a solid 7 or 8.

Long live DUKE!
  65. Jun 15, 2011
    What other game let's you put a rat in a microwave!?!? This game is just like DN3D which is what I was wanting. Graphics are good (although meant to be shown a few years ago). humor is fun and they did a great job of making you feel like you are in the Duke's boots
  66. Jun 17, 2011
    It is Duke lot of fun to play you should definitely try it! Yes the graphics are not the best but still up to date, there is a couple of part which is challenging but hey in 90s that was all about hard as hell games.
  67. Jun 16, 2011
    Be weary of the false critics, for Duke Nukem: Forever is not as poor of a game as some people may have lead you to believe. Contrary to popular belief, this game was not designed to be an ultra-realistic and modern day shooter. Duke Nukem: Forever is a more retro, 90's styled game that differs from most of the junk being released in the gaming industry today. Its singleplayer is excitingBe weary of the false critics, for Duke Nukem: Forever is not as poor of a game as some people may have lead you to believe. Contrary to popular belief, this game was not designed to be an ultra-realistic and modern day shooter. Duke Nukem: Forever is a more retro, 90's styled game that differs from most of the junk being released in the gaming industry today. Its singleplayer is exciting and action packed, with plenty of babes on the side, topped with sometimes or mildly funny jokes, such as when Duke pokes fun at Halo. The multiplayer reminiscents in the classic feel of a 90's shooter, which is not a bad thing; its very fun, if anything. For one, Duke Nukem's voice actor, Jon St. John, is amazing. For two, the game is a blast that my family and friends have definitely enjoyed. From what I've seen, it has a pretty great community so far, and the people who have bought it definitely have enjoyed it. Please spread the awareness, Duke Nukem: Forever is not actually a bad game, it has just simply been released in a time where modern gamers cannot enjoy retro games. Expand
  68. Jun 17, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever was such a fun game, I really don't get why many reviewers decided to hate on it. There are a few problems, make no mistake - mainly the 2007-2008 level graphics, the fact that Duke can, for some reason, carry only 2 guns, regenerating health instead of health packs. Everything else, though, is excellent, ESPECIALLY if you enjoy Duke Nukem humour. If you do, this game isDuke Nukem Forever was such a fun game, I really don't get why many reviewers decided to hate on it. There are a few problems, make no mistake - mainly the 2007-2008 level graphics, the fact that Duke can, for some reason, carry only 2 guns, regenerating health instead of health packs. Everything else, though, is excellent, ESPECIALLY if you enjoy Duke Nukem humour. If you do, this game is a true feast. The jokes are second to none, the game just keeps a smile on your face for extended periods of time.

There's a LOT of attention to detail (pretty entertaining Duke Nukem burger cartons in one of the stages, for instance). The game offers great variety, it's not all shooting, there are puzzles, there's some first-person platforming (nothing too difficult), a lot of things are covered. The stages are quite varied, both in terms of design and in terms of what you have to do - there are driving stages, water stages, stages where you are small and have to fight your ways through rats or even big aliens, a stage set like a Western movie, etc. There are plenty of entertaining mini-games like pool, weight lifting, pinball, etc. The boss battles are quite epic and intense.

I guess the game is a bit on the easy side on Normal difficulty, but then again, you're Duke Nukem, it's natural that you kick epic amounts of ass. The story is nothing special, of course, but the game is all about the humour. Duke Nukem is better than ever, I'd say Jon St. John's voice is even more badass 15 years later!
  69. Jun 15, 2011
    As an aging gamer, I still recall the amount of time spent at lan parties with other friends playing duke 3-D. Although the duke took 12 years to come back, I found that it was everything that I would've expected from the series. The nostalgia flooded memories of all the great one-liners and all the little things that were similar and improved upon since the last game found myselfAs an aging gamer, I still recall the amount of time spent at lan parties with other friends playing duke 3-D. Although the duke took 12 years to come back, I found that it was everything that I would've expected from the series. The nostalgia flooded memories of all the great one-liners and all the little things that were similar and improved upon since the last game found myself enthralled. I fully recommend this game to my friends if only for the script. I only found a few things lacking but they never took away from the enjoyment for me personally. I had found myself wishing for the old 1-9 weapon scheme, and med-kits, the level design was excellent and reminded me of the old days, just so much nicer. I'll admit without at least having played the first game some of the effect will be lost, however, for any gamer it's worth the play through to see how it all turned out. Expand
  70. Jun 15, 2011
    Feels dated but feels like Duke. I played Duke3d, a ton and really enjoyed playing DNF. My girlfriend and I laughed at parts throughout my first play-through. Wtf is the jet pack though (only mp really?)

Load times were within 5 seconds, Rebuilt most of my PC recently though: i7-970, 580 Gtx, 6 gb DDR3, black turbo 3.5"
  71. Jun 15, 2011
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure why it is receiving so many negative reviews. I am sincerely happy that it has finally been released. It may not be perfect, but no game is and it was exactly how I hoped it would be. I wasn't expecting next-gen graphics or anything like that because I understand that it's a little old and if it wasn't for Gearbox it wouldn't have seen the light ofI thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure why it is receiving so many negative reviews. I am sincerely happy that it has finally been released. It may not be perfect, but no game is and it was exactly how I hoped it would be. I wasn't expecting next-gen graphics or anything like that because I understand that it's a little old and if it wasn't for Gearbox it wouldn't have seen the light of day. It's certainly better than the campaign in CoD: Black Ops and I'm even having fun in the multiplayer. I will be recommending it to all my friends that are fans. :) Expand
  72. Jun 15, 2011
    The only disadvantage of this Duke incarnation is that it's too short. Anything else is a pure fun. Hope that Gearbox keeps on working on the next sequel.
  73. Jun 17, 2011
    ***HERE IS MY HONEST REVIEW OF DNF***

Please take time to read this, it's an honest input from me about this game based on what I have played thus far: This game is not ground breaking or *insert something here to make it sound like I'm intelligent when it comes to what makes games good* The game turned out to be exactly what I was hoping...a romp with an old friend. There is nothing
    ***HERE IS MY HONEST REVIEW OF DNF***

The game turned out to be exactly what I was hoping...a romp with an old friend. There is nothing new in the gameplay but that doesn't mean the game isn't fun. There are puzzles to solve to break up the pacing - the best way for me to describe it would be...similar to Half Life 2's puzzles. If you liked HL2 then you should like DNF. I honestly believe people had their minds already made up regardless of how the game actually turned out. I have lost all respect whatsoever for both IGN and Gamespot concerning their objectivity reviewing games. Any retard can read through the reviews and see there isn't any substance to their ****

1. Graphics (FFS graphics are NOT what makes a game FUN to play)
    2. Linear (yeah BO single player wasn't linear)
    3. "only can use 2 weapons at a time" (God forbid you had to use a little strategy on what weapons to use on the current level you are on...let's just load up a UT weapons locker with full ammo and all weapons for the strategically challenged)

It's been interesting watching all the hate pouring out from people and no substance in their arguments. (Of course if graphics and non linear and all weapons allowed are what makes a great game, then yes, their arguments have "substance")

I have yet to encounter any crashing, glitches, gotten stuck anywhere...it has played smoothly and I'm about 6 hours into it which means about halfway according to others who have completed it already.

Duke is as crass as ever...there's a bunch of new 1-liners that crack me up...plenty of potty humor, nudity etc. so if the first duke offended then this one isn't for you. I absolutely can see me playing this through at least a couple more times...but that is just a random opinion. If I honestly thought the game sucked I would provide criticism that actually made sense and based on personal experience...not input from some 8 year old emo kid who writes gaming reviews based on information a 2nd cousin gave during recess at school.
  74. Jun 25, 2011
    PC graphics are current gen. PC load times are very short. This is a game for PC, and for gamers that appreciate humour above all else. DNF is not politically correct. It is offensive, rude, gross and disgusting. It has lots of variety, and can not be labelled as one genre or another. If you expect a FPS or any other genre for that matter, then don't. The laughs are so unique, silly, andPC graphics are current gen. PC load times are very short. This is a game for PC, and for gamers that appreciate humour above all else. DNF is not politically correct. It is offensive, rude, gross and disgusting. It has lots of variety, and can not be labelled as one genre or another. If you expect a FPS or any other genre for that matter, then don't. The laughs are so unique, silly, and typical Duke that the smile factor overrules the negatives. Gearbox have done a better job than most reviewers are willing to acknowledge. Expand
  75. Jun 22, 2011
    The fact that they finally made a CHALLENGING game, blew me away. Duke Nukem Forever is one of my favorite games of the last decade. This game did things the old school way, they made it hard to beat, it required actual skill. Call if clunky if you want, if you can't deal with it, obviously your not good at video games, and you can rage your way back to that Call Of Duty series. The lastThe fact that they finally made a CHALLENGING game, blew me away. Duke Nukem Forever is one of my favorite games of the last decade. This game did things the old school way, they made it hard to beat, it required actual skill. Call if clunky if you want, if you can't deal with it, obviously your not good at video games, and you can rage your way back to that Call Of Duty series. The last time I played a game with this kind of feel was on the Nintendo 64, and thats not a bad thing. I throughly enjoyed it in everyway. Even though it could have been a bit more epic than it ended up being, hell it was Duke Nukem! And it was hiliarious in the sense of just plain ridiculousness. Also while playing the game, it gave you more of the sense that you were actually Duke Nukem. Sequences where he did executions and fell down due to explosions made most first person shooters for me seem uneventful. I want to say job well done on Duke Nukem Forever, and like Duke says, power armor is for **** Expand
  76. Jun 25, 2011
    Despite the poor reviews, I'm celebrating the delayed-by-14-years release of Duke Nukem Forever. IMHO, the game is a riot and the most fun I've had with a FPS in a long time. Welcome back Duke!
  77. Jun 27, 2011
    Great game, all though it feels like old build it was still very enjoyable and well worth the 15 year wait :)

Please make another soon, i dont want to wait 15 years this time :P
  78. Dec 22, 2011
    Awesome game, very good graphics, and very humorist, definitely buy this game that is the sequel to the classic game Duke Nukem. AWESOME GAME, DUKE NUKEM FOREVER
  79. Jan 10, 2012
    Duke Nukem Forever wasn't nearly as bad as everyone told me, I bought it quite a while after release and actually regret not picking it up earlier! I have been a duke fan since duke 3d and loved mucking around in that game, and this ones no different. Multiplayer unlocks new things in your house to help keep you interested, and the duke attitude still appears to be there :) Don't be aDuke Nukem Forever wasn't nearly as bad as everyone told me, I bought it quite a while after release and actually regret not picking it up earlier! I have been a duke fan since duke 3d and loved mucking around in that game, and this ones no different. Multiplayer unlocks new things in your house to help keep you interested, and the duke attitude still appears to be there :) Don't be a sheep, judge it for yourself! 9/10. Expand
  80. BMF
    Jun 21, 2011
    Duke is getting so much hate from critics but almost all of it is unfounded. Duke Nukem Forever might not be 15 years dev time good but its still a great game that many people are missing the point with. Alot of the fun in DNF comes from your hilarious interaction with the world and objects around you so if you just rush threw and dont try things out you will miss alot. All in all I wouldDuke is getting so much hate from critics but almost all of it is unfounded. Duke Nukem Forever might not be 15 years dev time good but its still a great game that many people are missing the point with. Alot of the fun in DNF comes from your hilarious interaction with the world and objects around you so if you just rush threw and dont try things out you will miss alot. All in all I would give duke a 8.5 a handfull of bugs and looking out of date in some places cant take away from the pure uncensored fun Duke provides. Im giving this a 10 to balance out the feminists and people who just didnt get it. Expand
  81. Jun 16, 2011
    Definitely not as bad as people have been saying it is. The game is supposed be more of a laid back, 90's/retro styled game, and it sure did deliver. Most critics have failed to realize some of the satire the Duke gives, but its great. Do buy.
  82. Jun 16, 2011
    Very good game. Most important of all, made me feel like playing a duke nukem game, and old school shooter, not this BS we have nowadays. Most people that down-rate this game arebrainwashed by COD and stuff This game is not for you. Duke Nukem coming alive could be better, could be worst. The only downfall to me is that the game takes too much time to have real action. Most of the startVery good game. Most important of all, made me feel like playing a duke nukem game, and old school shooter, not this BS we have nowadays. Most people that down-rate this game arebrainwashed by COD and stuff This game is not for you. Duke Nukem coming alive could be better, could be worst. The only downfall to me is that the game takes too much time to have real action. Most of the start you are walking and doing stuff. Not what you expect, I just wanted to shoot thing. Oh and when the shooting time really came ti was GOOD. Expand
  83. Jun 17, 2011
    This game is a blast from the past... feels and plays like a game from the 90s and brings back fun to gaming... and while at times may be a little sexiest its just a blast to play worth every penny....
    not to mention multiplayer is **** awesome
  84. Jun 18, 2011
    Great game. Funny and entertaining. Some minor problems don't ruin the experience, even if you include the dated graphics into the equation. Duke can only take two weapons with him this time, but that's hardly gamebreaking. Irreverent Duke stuff, jokes and punchs are back and better than ever.

Hail to the King. This game it's a piece of gaming history!
  85. Jun 21, 2011
    Duke, The King, It's A Nomber One. After twelve years, it finally came to us! I waited for this since the Duke Nukem 3D. This game is some kind of nostalgia returner, you just playing it and feeling something wonderful that make you feel yourself like in goood-oooold times, that's right. Hail To The King, baby!
  86. Jun 23, 2011
    I love this game. Just like the original game Duke steps outside the box; world interaction, great game play, and classic quotes; its a game that can be played over and over and I still laugh. When you're ready for some fun gaming in your downtime this is it! Come get some.
  87. Jun 25, 2011
    I remember growing up during the 1990s where video games were becoming popular again. I remember when Duke Nukem 3D shareware came out, and ever since the shareware came out, I wanted to play Duke Nukem 3D. I was totally amazed by the game. Eventually I started hearing about Duke Nukem Forever. I was excited for the new game, but I kept hearing that the game would be delayed for furtherI remember growing up during the 1990s where video games were becoming popular again. I remember when Duke Nukem 3D shareware came out, and ever since the shareware came out, I wanted to play Duke Nukem 3D. I was totally amazed by the game. Eventually I started hearing about Duke Nukem Forever. I was excited for the new game, but I kept hearing that the game would be delayed for further notice. So, over the years I started to forget about the game and felt like it would never come out. However, I was wrong. When Duke Nukem Forever demo came out, I was excited but disappointed. However, I only thought to myself this is only a demo and not the full game. When the full game out, I played a little on the PS3. I loved it, but I didn't like the controls for it, but when I got it for the PC, I was very happy with the game. This game totally takes me back to the 1990s. This game does remind me of Duke Nukem 3D, but however it is missing something. The multiplayer was a disappointment because I remember Duke Nukem 3D had more levels to play with when playing online. I do miss the space levels from Duke Nukem 3D, and I wish they were on the 4th one. I can only think the Hive was a replacement of space levels, but who knows? Other than that, I love the gameplay of this game because you can interact with your environment, such as playing slots or air hockey with someone. The parodies are funny, but not as funny as the 3rd one. All and all, this is a good old fashion game with some new things to bring to the table for Duke Nukem. That is why I give this game a 9 on a 1 to 10 scale. Expand
  88. Jul 12, 2011
    I'm sorry, but this game doesn't deserve such a low rating. I dont see whats wrong with it. It may be linear, it may not be like Duke 3D or the best graphics in the world. But seriously, what did you expect? This game went through what? 3 DEVELOPMENT STUDIOS? So this game has gone through a lot and 3D Realms wanted it to be the perfect game. I love this game, multiplayer isn't the best,I'm sorry, but this game doesn't deserve such a low rating. I dont see whats wrong with it. It may be linear, it may not be like Duke 3D or the best graphics in the world. But seriously, what did you expect? This game went through what? 3 DEVELOPMENT STUDIOS? So this game has gone through a lot and 3D Realms wanted it to be the perfect game. I love this game, multiplayer isn't the best, and weapons are way too over powered. But singleplayer blew me away, from the parts of Duke getting blown away and seeing his body go flying. Those parts were so entertaining. Puzzles were good, and took not too much effort but required a braincell. Interacting with pinball machines, doing weights etc. Its one of the best campaigns I've played in a long time.

So, stop hating on the game, its not the best. But I loved it, and every second was worth it!
  89. Jun 17, 2011
    Totally undeserving of such low scores, especially with so many uninventive and tedious sequels getting 9's or higher. Honestly, more varied and fun, though perhaps not as polished as most AAA shooters of this generation.
  90. Jun 16, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever its a great shooter with great jokes. Authors are responsible came to his work. Although it has its flaws it fully justifies the 14 years of waiting.
  91. Jun 22, 2011
    What I like most about a game like this, is that we can really delineate which critical reviews are from valuable publications and which one's posture pop culture. This game is at worst an 8, and I will place it there out of fairness of completeness. This game has all the elements of a Duke Nukem game, but also has the feeling as if too many hands have touched the product and too manyWhat I like most about a game like this, is that we can really delineate which critical reviews are from valuable publications and which one's posture pop culture. This game is at worst an 8, and I will place it there out of fairness of completeness. This game has all the elements of a Duke Nukem game, but also has the feeling as if too many hands have touched the product and too many studios had to make a statement. All of this aside, the judgement by a stream of pop culture magazines are unfair and wrong. Duke Nukem was not about pleasing the status quo, and this game cannot meet that expectation. Expand
  92. Jun 15, 2011
    Those expecting the second coming of Duke may be let down...sort of...it's complicated. This iteration, 15 years in the making (depending on how you're counting) continues with the same recipe that made the first so popular, with obviously improved graphics. Graphics - 8: I've heard complaints on the graphic quality, and sure, it's no Crysis 2, but why are there people still playingThose expecting the second coming of Duke may be let down...sort of...it's complicated. This iteration, 15 years in the making (depending on how you're counting) continues with the same recipe that made the first so popular, with obviously improved graphics. Graphics - 8: I've heard complaints on the graphic quality, and sure, it's no Crysis 2, but why are there people still playing Diablo 2 11 years later, a terrible (by comparison) looking game, with graphics that were nearly outdated before it came out? They get the job done, and 1-2 year old rigs like mine will take it all and smile. Sound - 7: This would score higher if it weren't for a glitch during the opening intro video. The sound was constantly cutting in and out. And that's a MAJOR buzz-kill when you've been waiting for this intro for 15 years. Might be sound or video drivers...might be because I'm still rocking XP. But in-game is great. Very satisfying explosions, gunfire, etc. Gameplay - 8: This too would have scored higher, but I'm afraid it's a little infected with a case of consolitis. There aren't action mini-games all over the place (at least yet), but there's no manual save that I can tell, only checkpoints. But that gripe aside, it's what a pure descendant of Duke should be. Those expecting Deus Ex or Mass Effect, go elsewhere. Multiplayer - ?: Uh...it has it, I know that. I'll get back to you on that. Conclusion - Those looking for depth and bleeding edge graphics, go elsewhere. Those wanting a classic Duke experience mixed with Team America, this is your game. The only other game in as long as I can remember that has elicited this many laughs was Portal 2. It's everything it should be. In other words, parents of children under a maturity age of 17 or 18, please leave this one on the shelf. (oh, and yea...I gave it a 9, because too many d-bags (to use one of the Duke's phrases) really were expecting the second coming) Expand
  93. Jun 16, 2011
    I've played through the game and let me tell you - this game is GREAT!! It is a very fun, straightforward FPS (without any BS like other modern games) with some puzzle, driving and platforming levels. Some weapons are brought back back from Duke 3D but there quite a few new ones, which are awesome. The humor is usually funny. Duke's one liners made me laugh out loud. (Although some ofI've played through the game and let me tell you - this game is GREAT!! It is a very fun, straightforward FPS (without any BS like other modern games) with some puzzle, driving and platforming levels. Some weapons are brought back back from Duke 3D but there quite a few new ones, which are awesome. The humor is usually funny. Duke's one liners made me laugh out loud. (Although some of them were a bit cheesy). Graphics look a bit outdated but they don't take away from the fun factor. Overall, I think this is one of the better FPS this decade. Expand
  94. Jun 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thx Gearbox for this lovely game , i don´t like this COD and BF crap .
    Such fun for an amount of hours ..... Duke one : Gear zero So let them say anything like ..oh rubbish... and kick ass .
    Finally again thanks for the whole effort in every way ... and wait for DLC´s ....please !!
  95. Jun 17, 2011
    I do not understand the hate for this title, as for me it is literally perfect.
    I'm sick and tired of CoD, and the world needed Duke, and when the world gets Duke, they complain? Well not me, I give this game a perfect 10, simply because it deserves it.
    I do not understand the hate for this title, as for me it is literally perfect.
    The graphics and sound are not phenomenal, but I have no problem with them, as it as Jon St John voicing Duke, an amazing version of grabbag, and that the graphics engine still holds up well today (its a dated engine, but still looks great, check it out.)
    The gameplay is a lot like Duke Nukem 3D, which is what the fans wanted, except this time round it's got a modern twist, for the better.
    Regenerating health is a GOOD addition, because without it, the game would be IMPOSSIBLE.
    So yes, a perfect 10, welcome back Duke.

Always bet on Duke.
  96. Jun 18, 2011
    I mean I hear the game is fun in both gameplay and concept, thats probably why everyone hated it. The world is colorful, and there is plenty of humor. One of the ideas that I haven't seen anyone talking about are the teleporting enemies. I mean it's a nice spin on the standard AI that involves shoot, hide behind cover, shoot.
  97. Jun 18, 2011
    Old fashion gameplay, but seems original compared to actual standards.

Old school players who have partially forgotten (can they?) how games looked like, will appreciate a dive in the past. Graphics is more than acceptable, the game looks good and very fluid on my HD5870. Action changes from frenetic to exploration, whenever necessary. Duke irony is there and makes the game funny
    Old fashion gameplay, but seems original compared to actual standards.

Action changes from frenetic to exploration, whenever necessary.

Duke irony is there and makes the game funny also.

Real vote should be around 7 but I have to give 10 to balance the trolls who put 2.
  98. Jun 19, 2011
    Hey, as this being my first review ever, I'm gonna say this, Duke Nukem Forever deserves alot higher meta-score then it has. Its layed back sense of humor and hilariousness is just what i needed lately, Im tired of these over serious games like Call of Duty Black Ops or Halo Reach. There are a few things that still could have made Duke Nukem Forever a slightly better game, such as moreHey, as this being my first review ever, I'm gonna say this, Duke Nukem Forever deserves alot higher meta-score then it has. Its layed back sense of humor and hilariousness is just what i needed lately, Im tired of these over serious games like Call of Duty Black Ops or Halo Reach. There are a few things that still could have made Duke Nukem Forever a slightly better game, such as more customized game types in the multiplayer, but even without these options, its still a great game. As far as graphics, this game is about average. It does not blow my mind, but its not as bad as many of the other reviews say it is. There are many things you can unlock for the multi-player, by ranking up against other players. The story line was Good, not outstanding but not terrible. Id recommend this game to anybody. However, kids should not play this game, It has allot of nudity, and very crude language. last thing i want is a bunch of little kids saying "I'm gonna rip off your head and S##T down your neck. This is a mature rated game for a reason. Do not buy this kid for your child, unless you feel they are old enough for adult humor. I belive parents need to watch what their kids play now more then ever. Expand
  99. Jun 20, 2011
    Man why does everyone seem to think a game has to have PHOTO REALISTIC GRAPHICS and REALISTIC GAMEPLAY
    go the f*** back to duke nukem on the PS1, hell even play duke 3D!!!! go through it, come back then write a review based on the game and NOT A GOD DAMN COMPARISON!!!! a review should NOT BE A COMPARISON TO "MODERN SHOOTERS" aka the norm!!! This game is following what 'was' the norm back in the day when games didn't die as regularly as they popped up >:( back when games actually meant something and were a HUGE achievement to actually get someone to publish it.
  100. Jun 20, 2011
    great! Great!!! Great!!great! Great!!! Great!!great! Great!!! Great!!great! Great!!! Great!!great! Great!!! Great!!great! Great!!! Great!!great! Great!!! Great!!great! Great!!! Great!!great! Great!!! Great!!

1. Sep 12, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever would be quite decent if one felt entirely certain it's intended purely as a self-parody. As is, it doesn't do the expectations, the buyer or the Duke justice – oh, had he rather remained a vaporware legend!
  2. Aug 6, 2011
    Petty, nasty and anachronistic. Duke is only relevant as a warning from the past. Avoid these mistakes, developers. [Aug 2011, p.76]
  3. Aug 1, 2011
    Bottom line: Duke Nukem Forever was not worth the 15-year wait, nor is it worth paying the full $50. However, I cannot deny that I thought it was both fun and funny, which at the end of the day is what this franchise is all about.