7.3

1. Oct 29, 2011
    A game that mixes overly simplistic action RPG Gameplay with tower defense sounds like a mess. It is. Dungeon Defenders is clunky, with awkward controls, a sub-par menus and a horrible inventory management system. The action is childish and the maps are poorly designed, with each map generally having a "one correct strategy" approach. As if this were not enough, this light-hearted, colorful hybrid takes everything we do like about is unique blend of genres, and completely tosses it out the window every third level for the sake of some horrid, scripted boss fight that offers only one right way to defeat an overly dramatic, cartoon boss. Dungeon Defenders tried to be two different games, and the end result it that its not very good at either one of them.
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    I have been following this game for a while and am sad to say I was pretty disappointed with the final result. The art style is pretty amateurish & the gameplay is sluggish. The game somehow starts painfully slow but gives no indication of what to do. Oh well. I bought 4 copies on steam so maybe there next game will be better financed & a wee bit better.
  3. Nov 19, 2011
    The game start of quite strong but has been patch 28 or so times since release, a fair few of those patches were to reverse other patches since they don't have a testing team. It was fine until the game turned into the worst grind ever, worse then any mmo or game i've seen, They added a patch to game after it had been out a few weeks, the patch added new gear to survival mode, the new gear had 2.5x better stats and upgrades then the old gear, making all previous gear useless, and the campaign and challenge modes useless, with the patch they made survival mode the only way to get the best gear and all the other modes still had the outdated gear, the same patch also doubled monster hitpoints for all modes.

Be warned it takes 6 hours to get upgrades to progress your character, that's 6 hours straight to reach the high survival waves. There's no save option and if steam disconnects, you have to start again. They made the most boring grindy unfun part of the game their end game. The leaderboards had 92 entrants on it previous to this change, a sure sign of how unpopular it was.

They have lost 3/4 of their usebase based on steam stats, yet they persist with their survival mode, It was unpopular for a reason small time dev, you took it as an insult and tried to force everyone to play it by adding overpowered loot to it, you've found out ppl don't like to be forced to do things :)
  4. Nov 1, 2011
    I would like to point out some of the better attributes of this game before I go down my long list of cons. The game looks great and it runs pretty smooth even on lower end computers. Patches have been released pretty quickly so far and some nice DLC was released for free soon after the initial release.

Unfortunately this game is plagued by one problem after another, I'm not even sure
    where to begin so I will just list them.

-Some features, character classes specifically were released locked to be sold in a later DLC. This doesn't entirely bother me but I do know some people feel strongly about it.

-Frequent server disconnects.

-Rollbacks of your characters, sometimes complete loss.

-Missing pre-order content with no foreseeable fix in the future. Their solution is to hand you the items in game. Should you ever decide to install it on a new computer you'll need to get an admin to give you your items.

-The ranked and open servers are full of hacked items and leaderboards.

-Steam is required for ranked play. If you don't have Steam, you'll be dealing with the bulk of the hacked content.

-Monsters, characters, and multiplayer scaling are all very poorly balanced. The Monk and Apprentice classes are more or less useless throughout the entire game. The Squire is far too powerful early on, and the Huntress is the only one who will be of any use late game.

-There isn't much in terms of variety, there will be some neat items to begin with but in the end as with most games there will be the 1-2 main items every characters ends up with. Same situation with the towers themselves, you will only make use of about 2 of them.

-The camera is one of the worst I've ever had to deal with, you either rotate by moving the mouse to the sides of the screen or by holding down shift. I've had to switch over to an Xbox 360 controller just to play.

-The controls are very uncomfortable, especially since there is no auto-fire. You can kiss that nice gaming mouse of yours goodbye, as well as your fingers.

-Poor support, I was very patient at first while waiting for staff to give me my pre-order items; after a while however I decided to contact them directly through their forums. I told him if he wasn't busy I was available for an in-game drop. He responded to me shortly after saying he was not available, then continued browsing the forum for several hours.

I would suggest staying clear of this title until they hire more staff and get these issues worked out.
  5. Dec 4, 2011
    Don't buy this game. It is plagued with server issues that will cause you to disconnect after hours and hours of hard work in a game, and thereby cheats you of the reward you spent so much time to acquire. Seriously though, the game is setup so that getting end game loot means playing a single match for at LEAST 4 straight hours. Sometimes more. It is very common to disconnect after an hour. I've tried to get finish the end game levels (Insane survival to wave 25) but everytime I get disconnected and very often the host gets disconnected. They are more concerned with making new paid DLC than fixing the issues that are making their game unplayable. DON'T BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  6. Oct 31, 2011
    It's quite fun offline, but once you go online too many people joining your game have hacked items and that ruins the fun of the challenge, which would be a problem in itself except for the fact the game masters and admins give these items to there friends so being on steam and valve trying to sort it out like tf2 won't do anything as the makers of the game themselves are giving out the items to friends. You don't get this kind of crap from big companys, i guess thats one plus side of the billion dollar gaming company's. Expand
  7. Jul 6, 2012
    Sure enough, the base game is cheap. If you want to access most of the game however, then be prepared to dish out A LOT more money. Furthermore, with the introduction of just as many new classes as originals the game is turning into, quite frankly, a cluster-F.

The beauty of it was originally was that every class played a role in the puzzle. Let me put it this way, you've got a real
    nice pizza with 4 key ingredients, then out of nowhere a **** ton more of ingredients are introduced and you're really not quite sure where they fit into the mix, and some ingredients are just outright inbalanced compared to the others. Expand
  8. Nov 10, 2011
    There are some really bad design decisions in this game. At first you compliment your towers and it's great and then you find a super powered weapon and your towers are secondary, merely there because you cant be everywhere at once. If you build nothing but walls around the whole map you can win based on that alone. The tower defense portion of the game is extremely lacking. There's a pure mode where you can play with towers only, most the time you end up with a ninja standing behind your towers killing them and since you can't fight or build during this mode there's nothing you can do. I feel this mode was never tested as you cannot repair during a round either and at the higher waves 7000 enemies come out, the wave finishes and you then have to go round and repair and rebuild, the problem is you only get 23 seconds to do so. It seems poorly made compared to defense grid.

They then had the audacity to nerf the towers. The strength of a tower is 3k dps, the strength of a player is 90k dps.
    The game is more an arcade action games then a strategy tower defense one, it's a good concept and i would like to see a bigger company attempt it.
  9. Dec 21, 2011
    Good game, but absolutely ruined by the constant patching. Trendy seems to be more interested in making a buck than anything else. You have to put some serious time in this game to be any good at all, and once you get a good item, they nerf it. They constantly nerf abilities too. Or put new content in a paid DLC that you need to just do the old levels because the new patch nerfs all your existing gear/abilities. So one day you log in, and can actually win a few levels, next day you log in and you can't beat anything. Unless you're a kid with nothing but free time and hundreds (yes, hundreds, not an exaggeration) of hours to waste on this game, I highly recommend that you don't bother with it. Sad too, because it really is fun at its core. Expand
  10. Dec 5, 2011
    This could have been an excellent game. It had all the hallmarks of a great game. Sadly (and I imagine the current trend for MMORPGs had something to do with this), it features an unnecessarily extensive grind to get anywhere in it. I'd rather the higher difficulty levels were actually difficult, instead of just being tests of patience. The developers clearly wanted us to play for 50+ hours in order to see everything this game has to offer, but if you were to play the game without repeating the same part more than once, there's less than 3 hours gameplay here. The rest is made up by grinding. Expand
  11. Jan 15, 2012
    The game were good at the start. But the something happened that made me create this account and write this negative review. After spending too much time maxing all available characters, harvesting too much good gear, maxing all achievements, something happened. The scaling of the game were useless, I had to spend at least 15 h to even get to the "good" items and to finally get some "challenge" in the defending, and the HARDEST part was really not to loose connection to trendynet during this time --> having to start over. ...In the meantime new DLC:s were spit out faster then i could change my underwear, trying to keep you busy not thinking about the fact that the scaling were so bad. THEN ONE DAY after 200 H game play: I changed from window-mode to full-screen mode --> the game crashed and all my progress were gone. ALL heroes GONE, all items, all mana, EVERYTHING. I've tried countless of ways to contact the developers, no one have responded. ALL i can say, it's a great idea, with too many flaws, not worth spending any time on. Expand
  12. Jan 31, 2012
    THE HORROR! This game is horrible. It's the worst game of 2011 and the biggest scam in the industry that I've been exposed to. It's hard for me to believe that anybody plays this thing. And it's being ported to... everything. Why?

1) Really bad UI - everything is overlapping, some words are streached beyond the display range, unreadable.
    2) Really bad gameplay design - gathering money in
    order to place turrets means in practice going up and down for 20 min just to be killed afterwards and start over again?! wtf?!
    3) Really bad mechanic/usability - there are buttons for jumping and rotating camera (on iOS even for zooming even though everyone knows the gesture...). That's confusing and even more overcrowds the HUD.
  13. Jan 20, 2012
    I enjoyed this game my first few hours, and really had high hopes for it. It got pretty tedious rather quickly, and I was so bored I was doing the "leech exp" stuff I do in boring MMORPG's - going AFK to reap the benefits without doing the boring work.

Higher levels will join games and ruin any chance of a challenge, and most people will openly accept them since they're more loot-driven
    than anything. It's just not fun when one guy places one trap that can one-shot every mob the game throws at you.

Dungeon Defenders is a great idea in theory, but in practice it falls short of what it sounds like it should be. If you want to enjoy this game, you're better off playing with one or two friends who are similar level, which kind of makes the whole persistent MMO experience irrelevant.
  14. Feb 6, 2012
    This game had everything to be the perfect blend of tower defense + rpg game, but they do balance patching every week that aims at hardcore players, because of that the game is full of item grinding, requires perfect strategy for every level on the highest difficulty and everytime you find a new strategy that beats most levels, they nerf it on the next week.

I have 300+ hours played on
    this game and still didn't finish the hardest levels, the game has such a high difficulty that makes you grind the same levels 40-50 times to be able to beat the next one. Just to farm mana for upgrading your items or farming until you drop the good items from the levels you are able to do. Also **** Survival Mode, the only way to get the best items in the game, takes 5 hours each time and is extremely boring.

They also release lots of paid dlc, what's worst about that is that all the best items / characters come from dlc, recently they made a dlc called Assault Map Pack, which is a Dungeon Assault only with Hero Character Maps. The thing is the old characters are almost useless on this map, for you to be able to do it successfully on the highest difficulties you would need to buy the Barbarian Hero DLC Pack, which is extremely tanky and has many abilities that are useful on those maps.

So they sell power through DLC and keep rising the difficulty so only the most hardcore players are able to beat it. It's not worth your time, I can't even believe I wasted 300 hours on this.
  15. Jan 26, 2012
    I had high hopes for this game, and never have my hopes been so crushed as to the night i fired up Dungeon Defenders with my GF. We were having such a good night, only to have it crushed by this joke of a game. I really wanted to like it, but in the end, it's nothing but a bland piece of imbred bore sh!t. It's boring, it's unbalanced, it's NOT a tower defense game by any means. The longer you play, the more you realize how ugly it is in every way. Don't waist your time. Go play Kingdom Rush (AKA the best tower defense game out there) for free on Armorgames.com. Expand
  16. Jan 28, 2012
    This game is the worst piece of crap I have ever played. As a tower defense, it lacks any strategy. As an RPG it lacks character development, depth, and mechanical diversity. As a co-op game it lacks player interaction, while still somehow allowing for as much griefing as possible. The controls are awkward and lose, the art is ugly, the interface is exceptionally unintuitive and the whole game feels like an attempt to stuff as much crap stolen from other popular games as possible in. Seriously, don't waste your money. Expand
  17. Jan 12, 2012
    It started out promising, then unfortunatly, due to a crapton of new company mistakes, it turned into a very poor game, it needs a wipe, badly, there were too many chances to get overpowered gear that only lasted a night, thanks to VERY poor patch testing. They're only good about fixing patches half the time, the other half they make it catastrophically worse. Not to mention it relies on spamming a game mode that currently is boring as all **** even stated by the developer that he hates it as well, but they do nothing to fix it. And on that matter, it relies on like, 3 different servers to be up at once in order to play, which brings forth a whole new bundle of unreliability. Avoid this game, until either Trendy learns from their mistakes, or until the game is sold to a different company. Expand
  18. Jun 24, 2012
    Well, this game was actually not that bad. When you are starting out, it is a really fun challenge and reminds me of a lot of other tower defenses that were really fun. That's about where it stops. When you get to high levels, you basically have to play on Insane difficulty or else you will beat the level in 4 minutes. Also, as some other people have said, if a high level joins your game, the fun level drastically goes down. Overall, this game had really good potential but fell flat. Expand
  19. Jan 6, 2012
    Had a ton of fun for a solid 3 days straight.... only to have all of my characters deleted due to poor ranked and local setup, the ranked and unranked is not user friendly and options are poorly explained.... so sick of lazy developers, enjoy trendy.... won't get another dime from me.
  20. Feb 12, 2012
    Recently the developers are using it's paying customers as beta testers. If you want to be a beta tester for this game be sure to expect lots of broken game mechanics that are re-broken every few months in constant failures to achieve balance. The balance attempts in this game are implemented so poorly that it the "shift of power" has rolled in a complete 360 since the game started, With no hint of real balance in site. I would love this game to pieces if this issue was resolved but instead it's just a struggle to find some form of entertainment value for a few months before it is broken by the inevitable balance failures.

If you love the game and want to beta test it for the developers while they charge you $ for the privilege, this is the game for you!

In all seriousness if you don't like an incomplete game don't even spend the time with this one. I am hopeful Dungeon Defenders 2 is in the works because version 1 is a failboat with failboat "fixes" and this is after 750 hours of actual game play that I would take back in a heartbeat.

Don't get sucked in! THE CAKE IS A LIE!
  21. Apr 22, 2012
    This game is a mess. It has awkward, clunky controls, sluggish gameplay, and a grindfest feel to the action (and not in a good way). For me, the "fun factor" for this game just isn't there. I do find the blend of action and tower defense elements to be intriguing, and I like the idea of this game, but actually playing it was a disappointment for me.
  22. Feb 29, 2012
    Broken beyond play-ability, from crashes, to lag, to freezing on and off, to network disconnects, it has them all and it makes it unplayable.
    Tons of DLC to try shaking-down you of your money, from character skins to levels, this game will cost you a fortune if you want the whole thing.
    Little replay-ability, it's depth is that of a flash tower defence game, very little depth means you'll
    get bored of it fast.

This game is a prime example of today's incredibly low standards, what happens to good game journalism.
  23. Apr 16, 2012
    Dungeon Defenders starts off strong and it is quite enjoyable. Unfortunately the game doesn't stay the course and quickly degenerates into mindless grinding for XP and gear. It sadly became a standard to set up my defenses, ready up and walk away from my computer for 20min to let the game grind itself. This is by no means helped by the frequent and often conflicting patches that continually "re balance" the game.

I personally found the DLC to be less than satisfactory not in quality but in content Vs price.

Ultimately one of the few games that I have purchased that while fun at first, I have actually come to regret.
  24. Oct 16, 2012
    I really hate this game. Boring and repetitive gameplay makes the game no fun at all and the 200 DLCs show what the game developers really want: your money. I regret paying even 3 bucks for the game, its just horrible.
  25. Jan 17, 2013
    lost my characters on their "online servers". back in dec 26. only response out of all the emails i received back. We're incredibly sorry that you have experienced in an issue with the game. In order for us to recover your lost data, we will need a link to your Steam profile page. Please do not log back into TrendyNet until you receive the OK from us. Thank you for your patience in the matter.

Sincerely,
    Trendy Entertainment Community Support

--------------

Highly unsatisfied by this fact that they cannot fix your account in a timely manner. its 1/17/2013, almost a month now and no fix.
  26. Mar 8, 2013
    unplayable control setting make player frustrated. too complex game machanism and poor UI design are also big failed. I spent 30 mins in tutorial and I still uncomfortable about this game processing. super super failed.
  27. Feb 27, 2013
    This game was pretty horrible. At start it was quite fun but after playing it for 10 levels it really got boring and simple. It also became apparent that the game was unbalanced as heck since some classes were far superior to the others. The menus were also confusing and complicated for a game that you are supposed to just pick up and play with friends (and what the hell is "Trendynet" anyway? It only advertised all the fancy DLCs to me). I also had a couple of random crashes despite the game running well on my PC, and the annoying thing about the crashes was that I lost my leveling progress. I paid about 10 euros for this game so it was a massive disappointment. Expand
  28. Apr 28, 2013
    I tried for hours to play the Linux version of this game. After dealing with dozens of crashes, broken physics, server issues, and awkward game controls, I gave up. The concept is interesting and it looks like it has a potential, but at this point it is far, far too buggy to invest any time in.
  29. Feb 12, 2012

Don't get sucked in! THE CAKE IS A LIE!

1. Jul 30, 2012
    I may have initially been disappointed by the focus on online play, but these fears quickly passed as I discovered what an enjoyable game Dungeon Defenders is. 13 maps with 15-20 hours of play is a considerable amount of initial content, but the extra challenges and loot-hunting are what will keep you coming back. Working out strategies and tower placement is a great fun, and finally succeeding in your strategy is immensely satisfying. Some of the online features are a little rough, but if you enjoy a good tower defence game, then you should not miss this one.
    Catchy cooperative tower defense game with RPG elements – the more people play the more entertainment you get so try to avoid the single-player option. [Dec 2011]
  3. Jan 9, 2012
    This is a gem that deserves to march past your defences and into your game collection. [Jan 2012, p.62]