4.6

1. Jun 21, 2011
    Uff, so much rage. Well here it goes:
    Uff, so much rage. Well here it goes:
    I have never been a big fan of the dungeon siege games (though I have played them both), but I honestly I can´t see the flaws the other reviewers find on this when it comes to make comparisons with the previous entries. They weren´t exactly challenging , and despite a few cosmetic changes what we have here It´s basically the same game: Cliché characters (based in ye good old archetipes), endless corridors (full of monsters and loot) and extremely linear gameplay (well, at least here you actually have to click on the enemies for the character to attack taking away a bit of the ¨interactive screensaver¨ feeling of the series). With the controls I had no issue wathsoever.
    About the story, I think it´s an improvement over the prequels (where it was almost non existant). It´s a bit darker, predictable yes, but well written, and the humour is still there, it´s a different kind, a bit more sophisticated without going to extremes.
    Besides that, I beg to differ about the voice acting and companion ai, for me is was pretty good. Whenever the lead character falls, there is a good chance for the companion to resurrect him.
    All in all, if you take it without inflated expectations (what we have here is yet another diablo clone) it´s a pretty good and polished little game (not one bug I found, a new landmark for Obsidian). I´ll give it a 10 though it more like a 7,5 (definitely not a 0). Have fun.
  2. Nov 20, 2012
    I'm disappointed in the low scores so many people are giving this game. I enjoyed this game a lot more than Dragon Age 2, and almost as much as Origins. The world is vivid, and the storyline, while not being super creative, is interesting enough to keep me engaged all the way through. This game kept me at my computer way too much until such time as I finished it. Addictive, immersive andI'm disappointed in the low scores so many people are giving this game. I enjoyed this game a lot more than Dragon Age 2, and almost as much as Origins. The world is vivid, and the storyline, while not being super creative, is interesting enough to keep me engaged all the way through. This game kept me at my computer way too much until such time as I finished it. Addictive, immersive and enjoyable all the way through. Expand
  3. Mar 26, 2012
    If you played the demo, you probably thought the same thing I did: this is looking like a pretty forgettable game. Honestly, the first hour or two really is I think, especially when you look at the price tag associated with this game. I was able to get this game and the two prequels for $9.99 on a Steam sale, so I was content to give it another shot. I think the biggest issue with thisIf you played the demo, you probably thought the same thing I did: this is looking like a pretty forgettable game. Honestly, the first hour or two really is I think, especially when you look at the price tag associated with this game. I was able to get this game and the two prequels for $9.99 on a Steam sale, so I was content to give it another shot. I think the biggest issue with this game is that it fails to grip you in those first 15 minutes. If you stick around longer than that, then maybe you've gotten to the first town. At around the 30 minute mark you should be walking up to your first dungeon, and consequently the first real challenge the game offers. It was right about there that I really began to enjoy the gameplay. Also, gamepad controls for this are much more superior than the PC controls imo. It just translates better. I think the media's review of the game at around a 70 average would have been fair, IF they hadn't released the game at full new game price. Honestly, I don't see the value there for it. Had they started off at $29.99, I think that would had gone over much better for the rest of us. As it stands, there's some good value here at a decent sale price of $19.99 if you are in the mood for a psudo-Diablo style RPG. If you can snag it for less, and you've enjoyed games of this genre before, I recommend picking this one up for sure. I'm giving it an 8/10 since I am thoroughly enjoying it now that I've got momentum going with it, but since this game has been voted down so bad by the user score I've decided to bump it up to 10/10 to influence the ranking a bit; I don't think it deserves less than 6. Anyway, snag this on sale at the next opportunity you can! Expand
  4. Jun 22, 2011
    I am seriously shocked, confused, and aggrevated by all of the negative reviews this game is getting. This is a good game, and it definitely does not deserve to be bashed and trashed like this. I just played through both the 1st and 2nd games, and I am really enjoying this one as well. In fact, even though the 2nd game was indeed great I thought it was a bit too long and drawn out,I am seriously shocked, confused, and aggrevated by all of the negative reviews this game is getting. This is a good game, and it definitely does not deserve to be bashed and trashed like this. I just played through both the 1st and 2nd games, and I am really enjoying this one as well. In fact, even though the 2nd game was indeed great I thought it was a bit too long and drawn out, especially toward the end. Listen, if you are looking for a new hack n' slash game, and aren't 15 years old expecting it to "change your life", then I say don't listen to these crazy haters and go for it. The graphics are sharp, the gameplay is tight, the story is interesting, there is a ton of loot to find, tons of monsters to smite, alot of interesting lore to be discovered, the game is stable without any show stopping bugs, it runs at good solid framerates with the recommended requirments met, the cutscenes are good (although they are done in an art style I know some won't understand) and the voice acting is really good. Granted this game is done a bit different than the previous games, but honestly, is that such a bad thing? Yes, maybe it is a bit consolized, but why does PC = holy, and console = evil nowadays? I have enjoyed both equally for 27 years now, and I don't understand that war at all. Anyway, this game is alot more like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliace, and Champions of Norrath series, which if you have played them, you know those were great hack n' slash games and both get good to great reviews, yet this game is twice as good and just gets kicked to the curb! I just don't understand it, it seems to me like PC gamers are just getting out of hand in the whining and complaining department simply because games don't meet their unrealistic expectations of being "Earth Shattering". Even though I believe Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 will be great games and without a doubt will do it better than any previous games in the genre, do you really think they are going to be THAT much different and more innovative than anything els before it? Like Judas Priest said back in the day... "you got another thing comin'".

This is just one of a bunch of recent games taking undeserved negative criticism. I am starting to question whether it actually pays to read game reviews anymore. You can't trust anyone, and surprisingly, the gamers themselves are the most untrustworthy reviewers of them all! Yay, bandwagoning!
  5. Jun 26, 2011
    So, the common complaints are controls, loot, storyline, deviation from Dungeon Siege 1 and 2. I will agree a bit with the controls had I not had an XBox 360 controller to use. The controller made this game very enjoyable with regards to a hack-and-slash dungeon crawler. It is easy to switch between powers and move around IF you have the controller. I would avoid the mouse and keyboardSo, the common complaints are controls, loot, storyline, deviation from Dungeon Siege 1 and 2. I will agree a bit with the controls had I not had an XBox 360 controller to use. The controller made this game very enjoyable with regards to a hack-and-slash dungeon crawler. It is easy to switch between powers and move around IF you have the controller. I would avoid the mouse and keyboard completely. Second, the loot is a bit typical with 4 classes (white, blue, green and the rare orange items). I had armor at the end that gave me wings of fire (rare). However, most items are based on the character you want to build. i.e. One that heavily blocks or one that is fast and attacks full-on. As far as the storyline, ignore the comments of predictability. You are given choices and the storyline changes based on those choices. The ending sequences are like Fallout 3, based on what you accomplished and the decisions you made. Finally, while this is a deviation from the standard Dungeon Siege combat system, it is enjoyable if you manage to have a controller. I know, why use a controller on PC. Because, I have the option to do so. This game is not for everyone and many diehard Dungeon Siege fans will hate it. However, as a stand-alone game, it is rather enjoyable and easily addictive. The biggest part will be playing a 4 person squad in multiplayer. So, why did I give it a 9? Simple, the messed up keyboard and mouse controls that force you to use the controller. And, at times, you will find the camera at odd angles and unable to see anything except a wall. I purchased this game and received Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 free, so it was worth $45. However, if you are going to buy this game only without 1 and 2 attached, I would not spend over $35 on it. Overall, I do not regret buying this game or using the controller to play it. Expand
  6. Jul 18, 2011
    I normally play Role-Playing Shooters like Borderlands, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc. So, a top-down view hack-n-slash mixed with RPG dialog is a bit of a switch for me. The camera angles kind of threw me off for a while, but I've learned to embrace them for one really important reason: couch co-op. My girlfriend likes games like Torchlight, and far as game play goes, this is reallyI normally play Role-Playing Shooters like Borderlands, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc. So, a top-down view hack-n-slash mixed with RPG dialog is a bit of a switch for me. The camera angles kind of threw me off for a while, but I've learned to embrace them for one really important reason: couch co-op. My girlfriend likes games like Torchlight, and far as game play goes, this is really similar. However, it's also action-packed and dialog-heavy enough to keep a hardcore RPG shooter like me interested. My girlfriend and I were able to find this really cool common ground between our gaming preferences, and that to me is absolute gaming magic. I actually got to play a really intense RPG while spending time with someone I love. Normally time with my girlfriend and time with my gaming rig have to fight for the spotlight. Obsidian is arguably a master of RPG's. They've made some of my favorite games of all time such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol, and Fallout: New Vegas. True, they're also known for some bugs here and there, but after successfully completing this game, I can say I didn't experience even one single bug. This game is 100% absolutely rock-solid. Obsidian has masterfully made a great hack-n-slash/dungeon crawler/RPG here that should be easily enjoyable to anyone with an open mind for adventure and violence. I enjoy playing this game alone as well as co-op. In co-op you share loot, and all progress and inventory of the 2nd player is saved. Player 2 can drop out and jump back in any time they want, and when they come back (assuming the host hasn't sold everything) all their favorite weapons, armor, and upgrades will still be there. The host of the game gets to make all the RPG dialog decisions, but you can see an icon on the screen where other players are "voting" for their favored responses. Some people aren't too into the online multiplayer because only the host gets to keep the experience and loot, so single player and couch co-op are clearly the more favorable experiences. However, we started having some severe difficulty toward the very end of the game, so we opened our game to the public. Within minutes, we had two random online players join our cause and we started kicking some butt! The four of us completed the game together, and without spoiling a single thing, let me just say your decisions throughout the game matter.

We laughed, cursed, and simply had a great time. I seriously can't relate to a person who dislikes this game. It was honestly one of the best games I've ever played. If you like games like Fallout (old and new) and you also like playing games like Lego Star Wars with other people, imagine combining those play styles together. The story is very serious, and (as I mentioned) your decisions matter, but along the way you'll laugh and have fun. Upgrades are truly game-changing, and the game just gets better and better the more you advance. I've never played Dungeon Siege 1 or 2, so I have no presumptions of what this game "should have been". I humbly ask that you completely dismiss any reviews herein that compare this game to previous Dungeon Siege games or, worse yet, World of Warcraft (which is an extremely ignorant comparison to begin with). Dungeon Siege III isn't supposed to be those games, it's supposed to be unique and it truly is. I'm coming from the standpoint of judging Dungeon Siege for what it is, and it's great. I'm actually sad that I'm not going to be able to find something else quite like it!
  7. Jun 21, 2011
    This is a great game, barring a design choice with the multiplayer. Aside from limiting co-op to sharing a screen, all the other aspects of the games are really implemented well. It's easy to manage your loot, the graphics are nice, and the combat is fun and somewhat deep.
  8. Jun 21, 2011
    I bought this game by 17 th -Friday, so I had quite time to play through the weekend. I like it quite much. This game have beautiful graphics, good challenging fighting system (more action), ok plot, interesting exploring of new locations, quite well done creatures and for me re-playability â
  9. Jun 21, 2011
    First, this game is Incredible visually. Your first ten minutes of the game are spent drooling over the menu screen. The Lighting, sound, and character design are polished and perfect. The Match finding system is the most simple, easy to use, system in any pc game to date. Hosting a game takes seconds and joining one is even quicker. The four characters you are able to choose from areFirst, this game is Incredible visually. Your first ten minutes of the game are spent drooling over the menu screen. The Lighting, sound, and character design are polished and perfect. The Match finding system is the most simple, easy to use, system in any pc game to date. Hosting a game takes seconds and joining one is even quicker. The four characters you are able to choose from are amongst the most original set a characters in any RPG. The Voice over and dialogue are absolutely perfect. The once tedious and boring act of quest finding is fixed with a mass effect wheel and witty interaction that causes you to become attached and feel the pain of the "Grieving Widow" as you help revenge her fallen husband. Now, In regards to the whining reviews from the basement dwelling crybabies complaining about the Story being "Terrible" and "predictable" as well as the battle system being "unplayable" and "boring". Let me begin by saying this game was published by Square Enix!! They're not really known for sticking their name on crap titles with poor storylines. Second, The story was so in depth, so unique and Mind grabbing that Dark Horse Comics released three comics to help complete it. The battle system and gameplay is one of the most impressive, unique, and simple to use battle systems out there. Each charcter has three unique stances in which the player needs to use effectively in order to survive. You can not just hack and slash your way through this game with a healer and a tank spamming heal potions and warcry. A beautiful, enjoyable, in depth experience overall.â Expand
  10. May 28, 2012
    Good game from the developers of Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. The game has an interesting plot, non-linear construction of the dialogues, moral dilemmas, which influences the further development of the plot and others qualities of classic RPG. The graphic is not perfect, but the textures and shadows are pretty. Soundtrack is unobtrusive.
    Cons - ugly controls and annoying
    Cons - ugly controls and annoying monsters respawn.
  11. Jun 24, 2011
    I'm impressed by the graphics, there is something about the look that is really striking, and the gameplay challenge on hardcore is hard. PC controls are weird, sort of like old school keyboard flight sim, but you get used to them. Play the demo definitely, may not be to everyone's taste. I really like it.
  12. May 28, 2012
    It's been almost a year since the game was out, if you play it today, what would the rating be? I give it a solid 8, but I will be rating it 10 in order to compensate a little for the rabid idiots who have been voting the game down.

The game plays better if you use a controller but since the controls are customizable, you can play it whatever way you like. I recommend using a, and d keys for moving left and right instead of rotating the camera. This will make the keyboard + mouse combo easy to use and should take care of all the control related complaints.

This game is more console-ish, there is more emphasis on action and less emphasis on stats. It is an Action RPG, whilst the earlier Dungeon Siege were CRPGs. However, the earlier Dungeon Siege's were mediocre CRPGs, while this is actually a GOOD game.

Graphics are really great and the 3D Modellers and the concept artists are to be commended for creating compositions that look beautiful whichever way you are travelling in the game. Great job on art, guys.

The story is standard fare, but still manages to be interesting. You will be interested in finding out what really happened - did the legion really kill the king?

The combat is vastly improved compared to the previous Dungeon Siege versions. The boss battles are frantic, and you are generally on the edge, with you characters getting knocked out often. The standard encounters are easier, but still present a challenge. At least for me, Obsidian got the difficulty just right.

The loot has become less interesting, but still retain the decision making element - do I go for this helm that ups my attack power, or do I go for the one that improves my blocking. And that sort of points to the biggest weakness of the game. It is NOT obvious which stat does what. I have no Idea what the doom stat does, for example. An online search in google has proved fruitless.
    All in all, a very enjoyable game.
  13. Jun 21, 2011
    This game is incredible and one of the best co-op experiences I have had on PC in quite some time. The graphics are not just good or passable, they are great. If this game doesn't look good, then stop playing it on your grandma's computer. I actually walked my character backward so I could again see the brief reflection of the moon in a puddle in one scene. Cut scenes are good and voiceThis game is incredible and one of the best co-op experiences I have had on PC in quite some time. The graphics are not just good or passable, they are great. If this game doesn't look good, then stop playing it on your grandma's computer. I actually walked my character backward so I could again see the brief reflection of the moon in a puddle in one scene. Cut scenes are good and voice actors use appropriate accents and emotion. Every quest is given through cut scene making the quests much more integrated into the story. Character design is far from cliche, with a magic user that is actually a fire spirit with a mysterious background, a female character with both short range and long range guns, and an old geezer with awesome arcane time-bending magic powered through a gauntlet. Plot development and story is more important than allowing fanboys to play dressup with their scantily-clad nighelf dolls. You have four characters to choose from, and the developers went the extra mile changing the story and cutscenes to reflect which character you are using and is present in your party. Music and atmosphere are awesome and work incredibly well to actually immerse the player within the story right from the beginning. In the opening scene, if you listen carefully you can actually hear screams of people very faintly as a manor house burns to the ground, raising the tension dramatically once you catch it. The combat system is a blast! Typical top-down RPG's require heavy investment in uber armor or your character is doomed to be the worthless side kick ranged healer/caster/archer. Not in this game. Each character is given a different "stance" that is more effective in either long or short range combat situations. The addition of the switchable stances make the fight more tactical as a mob you were trying to snipe suddenly turns and charges. Also, the armor and combat is balanced in such a way that most of the characters MUST use their dodge ability which makes the combat much more challenging, original and realistic. Learning to use dodge/block/heal effectively is important, and you cannot just spam heal potions or rely on 30 summoned wolves to fight for your lazy main character. Other reviews have pointed out that the skill tree is not the same as Diablo 2 or Titan's Quest. Everyone accepts that TQ was a Diablo clone and was made to hold us over 'til Diablo 3 gets released 20 years from now. That was not the intent with this game. Rather than copy or clone some other game, they developed a system that allows for modifying the combat style of the character while sticking to skills and abilities that actually make sense for the character. Katarina's bullets can be given the ability to ricochet, Anjali can heal from her fire Area Effect attack, and Lucas can add stuns to his charge attack. These are abilities and skills that make sense with the character design. Co-op is built and implemented very well. Start a new game or load an existing game. Hit a button in the menu and suddenly the game opens to either a public or private game. There is no obnoxious lobby, there is no waiting, and others can join or drop as they wish. You can even co-op on one machine if you have a controller (thank you). There is one serious flaw on co-op that hurts the game and looks like a lazy move on the developers part. If I host a game and others join, the ones who have joined have no way to save their progress on their system. The data is saved on the hosted system, but those that have joined are left out of the save feature. That is not to say they lose their progress as they can always come back to my hosted game at a later time and their character is still there with the same skills and equipment, but that is still a huge glaring flaw that can be blamed squarely on "console port", and could have easily been fixed by using the previous Dungeon Siege game save model. Boooo. They also could have tossed us PC gamers a bone with ten minutes worth of coding to include key mapping, but it doesn't harm the game much as this is not a game that requires 20 buttons to play. Each stance has three special abilities, and this is easily fixed by mapping the side and middle buttons of the mouse to "1,2, and 3". Problem solved. PC controls are simple: camera pans right and left with A and D, you walk forward/backward with W and S and your character fires at whatever your mouse is on when you click. Zoom in/out with Mouse wheel. There are times when you are firing at monsters off-screen using ranged characters, and I would have like to be able to zoom out a hair further. I cannot yet comment on the length of the game yet as I have not completed it, but I felt compelled to defend this game before completing it based on the amount of "i hatez this game. itz 0 cuz I hatedz the demo" reviews I saw here. Expand
  14. Jun 7, 2013
    Having never played the previous two Dungeon Siege games, I thought I’d give this one a go anyway and overall I must admit it impressed me. It starts off feeling a bit mediocre the levels are literally a straight line, the character control is strange, and you don’t have any abilities or companions in order to pull off good combat strategies. However, after the first hour or so the gameHaving never played the previous two Dungeon Siege games, I thought I’d give this one a go anyway and overall I must admit it impressed me. It starts off feeling a bit mediocre the levels are literally a straight line, the character control is strange, and you don’t have any abilities or companions in order to pull off good combat strategies. However, after the first hour or so the game really starts to pick up and only gets better and better from then on.

To begin with, the player gets a choice to play the game with one of the 4 characters. It might seem like a step back considering there’s no character creation feature, but these 4 characters really do cover all of the main archetypes we have Lucas, who is a paladin-like tank, Anjali, who is pretty much a pyromancer through and through, Katarina, who is a thief-like ranged fighter, and Reinhart, who is a scholar utilising all sorts of arcane sorceries. One of the impressive features of this game is that once you’ve chosen your character, the other 3 characters will become your companions during the game after certain story points. You can only have one companion at a time, but once you have them in your ‘party’ so to speak, you can swap between them at any time outside of combat.

Throughout the game you will level up and learn new abilities. There are only 9 abilities per character, but each of those can then be improved via the use of skills, which mold the said abilities in either of two possible directions. For example Lucas’ shield pummel ability can be given more damage or more chance to knock down the opponents, and so on. And finally, each character also has talents that can be levelled up. These are more like passive abilities, which cause your character to have higher attack, or better defence, or to simply gain more chances of healing upon damaging the enemies, and so on. What’s even better is that as you go through the game, you are choosing skills and talents not only for your character, but also for your companions, making their fighting style more suitable to your liking.

Apart from levelling up and gaining abilities, other standard RPG elements are present too, such as inventory management and having to optimize your gear and that of your companions as you travel through various areas and face various opponents. Although it can be fun finding cool equipment and making your character use it, the whole inventory management can feel like a bit of a drag during the times when your inventory gets full and you need to discard useless items, because we all know, in the world of RPGs, hoarding is one of our favourite hobbies.

The game mostly plays in an isometric perspective, similar to games like Diablo and Titan Quest. The combat mechanics are generally good, although the battles can seem to fluctuate between too easy and too hard at times, since the game doesn’t really feature any potions or other healing items. Any healing you get is either from your abilities or from the orbs that the enemies drop upon getting killed. So in essence, the more aggressive you are in battle, the better are your chances of staying alive, or at least that’s how I found it when playing the game as Lucas. This in turn gives forth some rather challenging boss battles, as you will find yourself fighting for your own survival.

Perhaps what I liked the most about Dungeon Siege III is how well it executes the concept of making your own choices and decisions, and having to experience what happens as a result. A lot of those tend to occur during the dialogues, which take the player to an over-the-shoulder view and add to the immersion. There are plenty of decisions thrown at you throughout the game some small, others big. The ending itself pretty much includes the outcomes of every decision you’ve made in the game, which should make the player curious as to what would happen had they made other choices.

Overall the game feels fun and engaging. Lots of control is given over your character’s skills, as well as the skills of your party. Additionally, good voice acting and the presence of moral choices make it more than just your typical hack and slash sword and sorcery RPG.
  15. Apr 14, 2012
    Just finished this game and DLC with someone else. This game has an really really good storyline, good voice acting for all of the quests, good look along with tons of items to loot. The most eye catching aspect about this game is that as you play this game you have to make choices that effect how the story plays out. Usually the choices have to do with someone's fate or what action shouldJust finished this game and DLC with someone else. This game has an really really good storyline, good voice acting for all of the quests, good look along with tons of items to loot. The most eye catching aspect about this game is that as you play this game you have to make choices that effect how the story plays out. Usually the choices have to do with someone's fate or what action should be taken. Combined with the voice acting this is very impressive. Over all a really good RPG game, looking forward to the other DLC that is sure to come for this game.

The only down sides is that it is not what I would call an open world and in multi-player the "3 legged race" feel with the camera takes getting used too. But if you ignore those two things this is a game that is worth you time. Fully say to anyone who likes the screen shots to get this game.
  16. Jun 22, 2011
    Why so many bad words? This is a great game with tonnes of potential. I am looking forward to the dlc packs when they get released! Well worth the money on Steam as I got the first 2 games free just before the pre-order deal expired :-D
  17. Jun 21, 2011
    Attention: this is not a hack and slash in the strictest of senses for several reasons. If you want a diablo/TQ/DS clone, then don't buy this game. If you want a fun, pretty, engaging Action RPG that will challenge you, this is the game for you. The controls are decent, even though they are not remappable. They take some getting used to, but once you do, there is very little in the game toAttention: this is not a hack and slash in the strictest of senses for several reasons. If you want a diablo/TQ/DS clone, then don't buy this game. If you want a fun, pretty, engaging Action RPG that will challenge you, this is the game for you. The controls are decent, even though they are not remappable. They take some getting used to, but once you do, there is very little in the game to prevent you from enjoying it thoroughly, so all the ragers reviewing must have two left hands. Honestly, it baffles me that so many people encounter so many problems with what is basically a very classical control scheme. I feel that had this game been made under any other name than Dungeon Siege 3, it would be taking a lot less flak. This is a successor to theses games only in name and setting, otherwise, it's a step up, unless you enjoyed the mind numbing borefest that were the first two games after one playthrough. To each his own, I guess. Expand
  18. Jul 16, 2013
    I loved DS3. However I can see the problems people have had. Please let me lay those fears aside though.

One primary complaint was, when the game was first released the controls were not re-mappable. Meaning you could not change which keys do what. That did make control awkward and it was unfair for left handed players. However the controls are now re-mappable. Community backlash got the developers to make an update patch which makes it so.

Anyway pressing on. When I first played the demo, I was shocked how different it was from the first two games. Then replaying the demo a few times I slowly grew to love it, (and I was increasingly attracted by the graphics). I looked forward to the day I bought the game. One aspect that stood out, was movement is by keys, rather than clicking on the map like previous DS. Combat in DS3 is click once per strike, whereas before in DS you could make it auto-fire. (There is no archer character by the way, and instead a shooter and all characters weapon sets are pre-determined.)

When you play then, you will need to do this:
    For PC mouse and keyboard, you can re-configure the control keys. I have put 'A' and 'D' to straife/move left and right. I use the 'hold middle mouse', for camera rotate. (Someone, I read mapped that to RMB.) Of course you can use the 'mouse to the edge of screen' for camera rotate, like DS1+2. I found control very good once quiclky adjusted.

The second major complaint folk have is that the game 'checkpoints' spoil it. Let me put again put fears quickly aside over this:
    The save beacons are not checkpoints. Use each save beacon repeatedly to save your game as often as you like. You receive a health to maximum when you do too. Also you can overwrite saved games in the save window, so you don't accumulate to many. Sometimes though it might be an idea not to overwrite.

I would also say explore everything. Furthermore I have found treasure chests I missed, by going back to have another look round where I was before. Revisiting old areas very often makes you bump into new enemies put there for you. These all add up in your XP so you can level up more, before moving on in the game. Plus by defeating more baddies, you get more gold and items so there's a chance of getting better kit.

DS3 on release had control problems, but I have however mentioned all the ways I can to maximise your fun. I explore slowly as I thought I would. I meander about because the scenery is gorgeous. The countryside parts, paths in woods I mean, are exciting and the first village is quaint and beautiful. The story is good and quickly got fully involving and exciting. There are no downfalls, the game is charming, and other positive reviewers confer with how DS3 is. Furthermore, it's twenty-five hours plus game-play, which contradicts the claims of twelve hours set out by some.

Don't be afraid to try this game. Just be prepared for a modern take.
    (Remember it was a long time coming from DS2, when dungeon type games were different. Once you adjust, and very quickly get comfortable with the controls, it looks just like a modern Dungeon Siege.)
  19. Jun 23, 2011
    Good graphics, good models, and on and offline co-op. For me these things definitly out weigh the story. I found the controls to be ok but I'm playing on the Xbox 360 not the PC so maybe thats why. I liked it thats all that matters to me.
  20. Jun 22, 2011
    I am unsure why there is so much negativity. pro: good graphics, doesn't crash, reasonable story.

cons: keyboard controls are awkward, can't change bindings. Long linear levels. I have had quite a bit of fun with this game. More than dragon age 2 which I have sort of given up on. I didn't have to pay full price and I am certainly getting my moneys worth out of it. It has been so long

cons: keyboard controls are awkward, can't change bindings. Long linear levels.

I have had quite a bit of fun with this game. More than dragon age 2 which I have sort of given up on. I didn't have to pay full price and I am certainly getting my moneys worth out of it. It has been so long since I played DS 1 and 2 I honestly can't remember them that well. Some people make out that they were great games, in my mind they were pretty average at best.
  21. Jun 21, 2011
    Ok, so this isn't exactly the Dungeon Siege game everyone's been waiting for. However, if we look past that, it is a pretty good game in its own right. The biggest strength of Dungeon Siege 3 is the combat system. Between two different resources, changing stances, rolling around to avoid hits, and well designed boss fights, combat is a lot of fun. In fact, it's no doubt the most fun aspectOk, so this isn't exactly the Dungeon Siege game everyone's been waiting for. However, if we look past that, it is a pretty good game in its own right. The biggest strength of Dungeon Siege 3 is the combat system. Between two different resources, changing stances, rolling around to avoid hits, and well designed boss fights, combat is a lot of fun. In fact, it's no doubt the most fun aspect of the game. And is there anything more important in a hack and slash action RPG than combat? I would say no.

Unfortunately, depending on how fast you're able to adapt, the camera controls and character controls can be quite annoying, especially at first. It's very much a matter of an individual opinion and playstyle, and opinions about game's controls will range from borderline unplayable to minor annoyance that's hardly noticeable after first 10 minutes. There is a demo available, which is more than enough to check whether you can get past game's control scheme or not.

If you're in the camp of people who don't find the controls to be a big problem, and can enjoy the game for what it is, not for what hardcore Dungeon Siege fans expected it to be, it will reward you with a very satisfying hack and slash action, that's far more involving and exciting than average action RPG.

Sadly, the game isn't as long as it could have been, finishing the entire game takes about 15 hours of gameplay. The game lacks New Game+ as well, which is a disappointment. However, despite all that, it's a very satisfying experience while it lasts.
  22. Jun 24, 2011
    As others have noted, I too am unclear as to why there is such an unmitigated flow of hatred for this title. Anyone rating this title lower than a 6 needs their head examined. For instance, a score of 3 would put it on par with the Wii's "Babysitting Mama" title. And fools are throwing 0's around, are you kidding me? Let's get it right, 0's are for completely broken and unplayable titles.As others have noted, I too am unclear as to why there is such an unmitigated flow of hatred for this title. Anyone rating this title lower than a 6 needs their head examined. For instance, a score of 3 would put it on par with the Wii's "Babysitting Mama" title. And fools are throwing 0's around, are you kidding me? Let's get it right, 0's are for completely broken and unplayable titles. The graphical polish alone makes this title deserving of a 4 -5. The controls are not completely broken, I don't know what that griping is all about, no it's not as point and click as Diablo, but... who said it was going to be? Use your keyboard and mouse and it's fine. There's a fairly deep character building system here. It's not just a talent tree that you put points into. There are multiple abilities that you unlock, once unlocked you can put points into them in one of two ways generally leaning the skill towards offense or defense. Abilities can be "mastered" allowing you to perform even more powerful versions of those abilities with different effects than normal. The pace, though generally a little slow, can get quite manic in large battles. The fact that you can't just click click click spam spells or attacks through combat is refreshing; you need to be a participant in battle in order to restore your focus (mana) and block attacks (so you don't get your ass beat) There is no potion quaffing here, the best you can do is your character's heal over time spell. I guess I can't really say anything that hasn't been said, check out Game Informer's review, it's pretty legit. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE HATERS, this title definitely belongs in the 7-8 range, which is what you'll see from nearly all professional critics. The title is solid, it's not broken, and while it doesn't do anything amazingly well, it doesn't do anything completely wrong either. There is room for improvement, but as it stands it's an enjoyably fun dungeon romp, especially with friends. Expand
  23. Jun 24, 2011
    So far the best Dungeon Siege game that has been released. While the controls might take some time to get used to, the game play is actually pretty fun. And if the mouse&keyboard setup is too much for you, you can always pick-up a controller. Graphics in the game are pretty good, the lighting and spell effects create a nice atmosphere when you are running through dungeons and getting someSo far the best Dungeon Siege game that has been released. While the controls might take some time to get used to, the game play is actually pretty fun. And if the mouse&keyboard setup is too much for you, you can always pick-up a controller. Graphics in the game are pretty good, the lighting and spell effects create a nice atmosphere when you are running through dungeons and getting some of that sweet sweet loot.

And trust me there's plenty of loot and monsters and on hardcore difficulty the boss fights will be challenging and still quite entertaining. Though if you expect that your characters look will change drastically with every different piece of loot, you will be disappointed. Especially the end game loot/equipment looks pretty sweet.

Even though the game doesn't last 40 hours, it does have 4 unique characters each with their own skill set adding some replay value. Also you might want to see how your choices in the game have an effect on Ehb. And there's always co-op. While it doesn't allow you to port your single player character into someone else's multiplayer game the co-op is fun. The system doesn't really encourage you to play with complete strangers, but with your online / real life buddies you can start the game from the very beginning and level that character just the way you like it and go through the story with them from the beginning to the end.
  24. Jun 21, 2011
    So much hate. People are complaining about how DS1 and 2 were sooo much better yet they probably haven't played those games in ages.

Nostalgia can fog the memory so I took a little journey on DS1 and 2 to rekindle my love for the games. I couldn't even get through 10 minutes of DS1 and I distinctly remember this game being amazing. DS2 was significantly better but all of the things people are ripping on DS3 about are IN DS2!!!

Stupid AI: Check - Horrible Camera: Check - Only a handful of skills per class: Check (In fact, there are MORE in DS3 than DS2 per class!!!) - Click on a mob and wait for it to die while chugging potions: Check.

Really, people need to get a grip before posting. A 0 is unacceptable for any game (unless it's about Justin Bieber). Any score below a 5 is just some butt hurt crybaby who thinks DS1 or 2 was better. That's it. On to the game - The controls DO suck in DS3, there's no avoiding that, but using the right click on the mouse and A and D to maneuver the camera is actually very nice after a few minutes and becomes second nature. Yes, you can only have 2 people in your party, but that's all you need. It's mean to be just you slashing away at monsters. Your partner is just there for kicks. Yes, that's nothing like DS1 and 2 but it's not bad. There's tons of loot, 9 usable skills, 10 talents, and 5 upgrades to each skill per character. That's way more than DS1 and 2. They have the archetype for warrior, ranger, combat mage, and crazy fire chick with a spear. It's a fun game. Multiplayer sucks because player 2 is boned but single player is a blast. Don't listen to the upset DS fanboys who all of the sudden come crawling out of the woodwork to cry foul. It's a solid 7 / 7.5 / 8 game depending on how you spend your time and I'd say worth the money.
  25. Nov 20, 2013
    This isn't dungeon siege. It neither has the atmosphere, music nor the Dungeon Siege’s gameplay style. I’ve been waiting for 5 years only to be disappointed when I saw the trailer and gameplay videos of Dungeon Siege 3. “3” is a cursed number, I’ve witness a bunch of third-sequels come to fail, most notable examples are Diablo 3, Discipline 3, Fable 3, stronghold 3, etc.
    So why do I score
    So why do I score this game 8? Few months ago, I purchased a triology of DS, DS 2 and DS 3 for a great price on Steam. So, although I don’t like DS 3, I lose nothing to try DS 3, and it turns out to be quite good.
    DS3 have a good story, music and gameplay. Although none of these things “feel” like Dungeon Siege series. But it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. The story and atmosphere have the feeling of Dragon Age: Origins, and some of your dialogue choice will have impact upon you. The music feels good, too. But its tone and feeling are different than DS 1&2. Combat feels like Fable, where you can dodge, block, and switch between two alternative attacking styles with different attacking skills for each style. Four classes with different skills, skill and healing systems are similar to Diablo 3. And there is no portal scrolls/spell/ gem (the only thing few like dungeon Siege 1). All these things are combined together quite good, thus, bring a unique feeling about the game.
    To conclude, Dungeon Siege 3 should not bear Dungeon Siege name. If you’re a die-hard fan of DS 1&2, you will be disappointed about the “way” of DS3, like me when DS3 first come out. It bears nearly no feeling of Dungeon Siege at all. But this game is actually a good game with good story, music and a tactical combat system. The trailer and gameplay videos provide a “wrong” disappointed feeling about this game. I encourage you to try the demo first.
  26. Jun 23, 2011
    My opinion is that most of these negative reviews are of jaded perceptions that hold little merit. Obsidian delivers another excellent "squeal". Yet here they are being stabbed with verbal abuse from the vast span of the internet! I beginning to feel sympathetic towards the gaming industry. It's a very competitive market. This is the world of entertainment nonetheless. Many groundbreakingMy opinion is that most of these negative reviews are of jaded perceptions that hold little merit. Obsidian delivers another excellent "squeal". Yet here they are being stabbed with verbal abuse from the vast span of the internet! I beginning to feel sympathetic towards the gaming industry. It's a very competitive market. This is the world of entertainment nonetheless. Many groundbreaking games have been released in the past, thus causing the individuals who play them to become quite spoiled. Now, I'm not one to say; "No you must like everything!" You can either dislike or like products. It is your choice, the law of freewill dictates this to us. Developers have a certain mindset, and usually they feel their methods are the correct way. There will be those who disagree, of course. They should be constructive with criticism and analysis. Not throw a fit a-la-Dragon age II, and become the next anti-corporate activist. Okay, maybe that was a little harsh, but I digress. On to Dungeon Siege III, the latest game in a trilogy of action-rpgs from the mind of Chris Taylor. Well, he consulted on this one! Whatever, his touch was there even if it was being lived vicariously through Obsidian. The combat is fast paced, the engine is streamlined and fluid, storyline immersion is present. Everything a rpg creme-de-la-Chris Taylor would have. Controls are bit wonky, the AI is clearly scripted, yet holds some level of difficulty. The level design is bit darkly artistic, but fits the theme. There's clearly a lack of mouthwatering abilities/skills. The co-op is slightly iffy, but doesn't ruin your experience. At least it shouldn't. It has multiplayer co-op, which works! Dungeon Siege II had some serious issues there back in 05/06. It's a well done action-rpg game, which though not incredibly stand-out from it's predecessor's it's worth the purchase and play. Even if your new to the series, try this game. Giving it a modest B rating. Expand
  27. Jun 26, 2011
    Dungeon Siege 3 is a game that upon release has become overlooked and under-appreciated by many players.

A very important part of a game and its congruence with the playerbase is the control scheme and accessibility. Where Dungeon Siege has been cited as lacking is in the control. What I think many people have failed to recognise is that there is more than one control option beyond using the mouse to move. In both of my playthroughs of the game I used the WASD movement as opposed to mouse oriented movement, and making me feel after reading these reviews that I am the only one who has used WASD movement. Also the added feature of gamepad support puts this game above many other modern games even in 2011 that do not have gamepad support. I felt more comfortable using the WASD keys than using an X360 gamepad.
    What is important to note that difficulty with controls is a problem with the player, not the game. I felt it was easy to maneuver, dodge and take a somewhat tactical approach to fighting enemies.

In terms of story, this game certainly lacks length but it does not lack content. The consistency of themes, the distinguishable characters and locations, the fluency of conversation and addition of many side quests make this game an outstanding game story-wise. Story is one of this games features that outshines it's predecessors. Having played Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 multiple times through, I know how easy it is to lose sight of quests or plot while dungeon running. Dungeon Siege 3 has countered this problem, giving what could be labeled as 'mindless-action' a sense of purpose and strong reward in the storyline and not just in terms of loot.

Graphically the game is far-beyond any dungeon based role-playing game prior. The attention to detail throughout each town, dungeon and environment exacts the distuinguishable differences between all places in the game. There is little repetitiveness, which is encountered in DS1&2, another superior feature that DS3 holds. Each dungeon is vastly different, and there is no repeated character models or world objects.

Negatives of DS3 are of course the difficulty with which many casual players would not be used to. It is a very different game to previous DS games and is also very different to many other dungeon based games. That being said, the best game experience will be had on the hardest difficulty.

In an industry where re-hashes, ports, hype and repetitiveness is garnering success, Dungeon Siege 3 was bound to receive negative reviews. Many players are scared to try something new or are scared to deal with a little bit of challenge. When you play this game with an unbiased view, when you seek to enjoy and not to criticise you will find that this 'gem in the rough' is a possible contender for 2011 GOTY.
  28. Oct 17, 2011
    Amazing game, very flexible characters (I usually play mage, but it was so fun to play with Anjili and Katarina that I didn't even bother to try mage). The camera can sometimes be annoying but you get used to it specially if you rebind it's controls (I binded right-mouse button to move the camera and disabled the automatic camera). Good plot, nice small changes, and the graphic is amazing.Amazing game, very flexible characters (I usually play mage, but it was so fun to play with Anjili and Katarina that I didn't even bother to try mage). The camera can sometimes be annoying but you get used to it specially if you rebind it's controls (I binded right-mouse button to move the camera and disabled the automatic camera). Good plot, nice small changes, and the graphic is amazing. The game-play reminded me a LOT from "Nox" (ahh, good times). Could use a little better voice acting and NPC animations, but other than that very good. I would normally rate this an 8, but thanks to all the mentally impaired that rated it 0~1, I will rate it 10. Expand
  29. Oct 12, 2011
    I played with a wire xbox 360 controller and this is what I got out of it: The game employs a nice blend of fast-paced action and quick-thinking strategy. The spells and abilities are simple, yet as complex as you want them to be. The gameplay is explosive but you can't let your guard down, you will have to think quickly if you want to overcome the challenges. I found it extremely satisfying.
  30. Jan 4, 2012
    I don't understand why people don't like this game. I personally found this game very entertaining. It had a very nice storyline that was easy to grasp, with easy gameplay mechanics. Sure, the game isn't a super open world type game but I sort of liked that, it kept you from mindlessly exploring and kept you focused on the story. I know this doesn't really work with most games, as I loveI don't understand why people don't like this game. I personally found this game very entertaining. It had a very nice storyline that was easy to grasp, with easy gameplay mechanics. Sure, the game isn't a super open world type game but I sort of liked that, it kept you from mindlessly exploring and kept you focused on the story. I know this doesn't really work with most games, as I love to go exploring the world, but I felt it was properly placed in this game. The graphics are beautiful, and the level designs are quite basic with little puzzle solving involved. The characters have their own class types and personalities which help you connect better with the characters and itâ Expand
  31. Jul 5, 2013
    Very underrated game in this genre. Sure it's multiplayer sucks with its restrictions, but as a single player game I found this game to be far more interesting than the likes of Diablo 3. I'm writing this review a long time after the game's release and I bought it on day one. You can easily find this game on the web for a ridiculously low price and it's worth more than every penny. TheVery underrated game in this genre. Sure it's multiplayer sucks with its restrictions, but as a single player game I found this game to be far more interesting than the likes of Diablo 3. I'm writing this review a long time after the game's release and I bought it on day one. You can easily find this game on the web for a ridiculously low price and it's worth more than every penny. The expansion was well planned out too. If you are a fan of ARPG games you owe it to yourself to at least give the single player a go. Expand
  32. Sep 10, 2013
    Excellent game. I picked the whole series up on Steam for seven bucks and played DS III first. Excellent. The reason this one slipped under my radar was the name. It looked like a mindless dungeon hack and slash. Not at all. It completely reminds me of Neverwinter Nights II. Lot's of character development. Fun plot. Lot's of secrets. Plenty of fighting. And it's not at all justExcellent game. I picked the whole series up on Steam for seven bucks and played DS III first. Excellent. The reason this one slipped under my radar was the name. It looked like a mindless dungeon hack and slash. Not at all. It completely reminds me of Neverwinter Nights II. Lot's of character development. Fun plot. Lot's of secrets. Plenty of fighting. And it's not at all just a dungeon crawler. Forest, dessert, dungeon, everything. I wouldn't call it an "open" game, but there's definitely plenty to explore. I got 40 hours out of it too for those who feel the same as me for a "full" feeling.

I didn't bother reading the reviews for this due to the price, but I was disappointed to see such a low user score for this game. It's worth $20 with the dlc. I only hope DS 2 and 1 are as fun.
  33. Mar 25, 2013
    Dungeon Siege III is a great game with top down 3rd person hack and slash action. Visuals are well done and really has a darker richer look to it than say, Torchlight. The Story was decent enough to have me interested and keep going but ended in a somewhat disappointing fashion. Although, the presentation was great, using a storybook type of slideshow telling of the choices I had madeDungeon Siege III is a great game with top down 3rd person hack and slash action. Visuals are well done and really has a darker richer look to it than say, Torchlight. The Story was decent enough to have me interested and keep going but ended in a somewhat disappointing fashion. Although, the presentation was great, using a storybook type of slideshow telling of the choices I had made throughout the game. It would be great if I had more than one companion to follow me around but i guess its better than no one. The Game really is more geared towards using a controller to play as opposed to keyboard and mouse. Overall, it was a great game along with the DLC Treasures of the Sun. Expand
  34. Jun 19, 2013
    My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed this game. A fun and inviting fantasy world with a interactive and engaging storyline, what more could one ask for. Aside from these things the co-operative play was really fun and we found it easy to pick up where we left off. We're on our second play through (a year later) and we're having lots of fun.
  35. Sep 15, 2013
    I highly recommend this game. play it with someone locally (two controllers) for the entire campaign and you wont regret it.
    the main thing i can say about it is that its fun, we spend hours playing it and we just had fun.
  36. Apr 6, 2015
    There is an inherent problem with this game, being that this game is a sequel. The reviews are derisive on this title and so I thought I should shed some light on the problem. In short, this should have been titled differently, its nothing like Dungeon Siege I or II, which aren't really that great. That's why they went a different direction for DS3. Many people love Dungeon Siege andThere is an inherent problem with this game, being that this game is a sequel. The reviews are derisive on this title and so I thought I should shed some light on the problem. In short, this should have been titled differently, its nothing like Dungeon Siege I or II, which aren't really that great. That's why they went a different direction for DS3. Many people love Dungeon Siege and all of those people hate this game.
    If you've never played any Dungeon Siege games before and you want a good two player game to play with the wife or kids, this is the game for you my friend.

Gameplay - (8.5) Controls are tight, gameplay is shallow on the surface but very deep as levels progress past 15. Two fighting stances and 3 attacks per stance, however at high levels mastering this switching for offensive and defensive combos is really fun and challenging.

Graphics - (8) The visual design is beautiful, but it's also very cliche. The female character models are almost always wearing armor that doesn't protect vital organs. The lighting effects are awesome and the game visualizes your progress, as you get stronger your equipment will glow brighter and be more intricately detailed

Sound - (9) Fully voice acted, story driven narrative. Even minor characters are voiced out.
    The soundtrack is beautiful, but its also in perfect harmony with the action on-screen. It's not perfect, but its damn near it.

Co-Op Multiplayer (7) - I've played with the online multiplayer and found it to be amazing. I don't have many online friends, but within a single day I had met two people that played regularly and were very friendly and easy to play with. If nothing else, I can say the community for this title is friendly. This game is also OLD and so the multiplayer community is probably dead now.

Overall Feelings - A strong title for ARPG enthusiasts. If you like Diablo II or III then try this game.
    It was a good game when I bought it for $30, it became a gem when I bought it again for my ten year old for $7.99

1. Oct 26, 2011
    One of the biggest differences in this game is that you exert a lot of control over your main character.
  2. Aug 30, 2011
    Ultimately, Dungeon Siege III is an easy-to-play popcorn journey into the classic action-RPG genre, hitting every checkbox. There is little innovation here, but it offers plenty of examples of how good design and development practices can make a derivative game enjoyable - and how a pretty severely console-designed game can be adjusted to feel largely right on a PC.
    Don't be discouraged by the slow and dumb beginning of the game – you'll be rewarded by many hours of fun. Strong story and cooperative multiplayer are more than worth your attention. [Issue#207]