4.6

1. Jun 22, 2011
    I am unsure why there is so much negativity. pro: good graphics, doesn't crash, reasonable story.

cons: keyboard controls are awkward, can't change bindings. Long linear levels.

I have had quite a bit of fun with this game. More than dragon age 2 which I have sort of given up on. I didn't have to pay full price and I am certainly getting my moneys worth out of it. It has been so long
    since I played DS 1 and 2 I honestly can't remember them that well. Some people make out that they were great games, in my mind they were pretty average at best. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2012
    If you played the demo, you probably thought the same thing I did: this is looking like a pretty forgettable game. Honestly, the first hour or two really is I think, especially when you look at the price tag associated with this game. I was able to get this game and the two prequels for $9.99 on a Steam sale, so I was content to give it another shot. I think the biggest issue with this game is that it fails to grip you in those first 15 minutes. If you stick around longer than that, then maybe you've gotten to the first town. At around the 30 minute mark you should be walking up to your first dungeon, and consequently the first real challenge the game offers. It was right about there that I really began to enjoy the gameplay. Also, gamepad controls for this are much more superior than the PC controls imo. It just translates better. I think the media's review of the game at around a 70 average would have been fair, IF they hadn't released the game at full new game price. Honestly, I don't see the value there for it. Had they started off at $29.99, I think that would had gone over much better for the rest of us. As it stands, there's some good value here at a decent sale price of $19.99 if you are in the mood for a psudo-Diablo style RPG. If you can snag it for less, and you've enjoyed games of this genre before, I recommend picking this one up for sure. I'm giving it an 8/10 since I am thoroughly enjoying it now that I've got momentum going with it, but since this game has been voted down so bad by the user score I've decided to bump it up to 10/10 to influence the ranking a bit; I don't think it deserves less than 6. Anyway, snag this on sale at the next opportunity you can! Expand
  3. Jun 21, 2011
    Ok, so this isn't exactly the Dungeon Siege game everyone's been waiting for. However, if we look past that, it is a pretty good game in its own right. The biggest strength of Dungeon Siege 3 is the combat system. Between two different resources, changing stances, rolling around to avoid hits, and well designed boss fights, combat is a lot of fun. In fact, it's no doubt the most fun aspect of the game. And is there anything more important in a hack and slash action RPG than combat? I would say no.

Unfortunately, depending on how fast you're able to adapt, the camera controls and character controls can be quite annoying, especially at first. It's very much a matter of an individual opinion and playstyle, and opinions about game's controls will range from borderline unplayable to minor annoyance that's hardly noticeable after first 10 minutes. There is a demo available, which is more than enough to check whether you can get past game's control scheme or not.

If you're in the camp of people who don't find the controls to be a big problem, and can enjoy the game for what it is, not for what hardcore Dungeon Siege fans expected it to be, it will reward you with a very satisfying hack and slash action, that's far more involving and exciting than average action RPG.

Sadly, the game isn't as long as it could have been, finishing the entire game takes about 15 hours of gameplay. The game lacks New Game+ as well, which is a disappointment. However, despite all that, it's a very satisfying experience while it lasts.
  4. Jun 26, 2011
    So, the common complaints are controls, loot, storyline, deviation from Dungeon Siege 1 and 2. I will agree a bit with the controls had I not had an XBox 360 controller to use. The controller made this game very enjoyable with regards to a hack-and-slash dungeon crawler. It is easy to switch between powers and move around IF you have the controller. I would avoid the mouse and keyboard completely. Second, the loot is a bit typical with 4 classes (white, blue, green and the rare orange items). I had armor at the end that gave me wings of fire (rare). However, most items are based on the character you want to build. i.e. One that heavily blocks or one that is fast and attacks full-on. As far as the storyline, ignore the comments of predictability. You are given choices and the storyline changes based on those choices. The ending sequences are like Fallout 3, based on what you accomplished and the decisions you made. Finally, while this is a deviation from the standard Dungeon Siege combat system, it is enjoyable if you manage to have a controller. I know, why use a controller on PC. Because, I have the option to do so. This game is not for everyone and many diehard Dungeon Siege fans will hate it. However, as a stand-alone game, it is rather enjoyable and easily addictive. The biggest part will be playing a 4 person squad in multiplayer. So, why did I give it a 9? Simple, the messed up keyboard and mouse controls that force you to use the controller. And, at times, you will find the camera at odd angles and unable to see anything except a wall. I purchased this game and received Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 free, so it was worth $45. However, if you are going to buy this game only without 1 and 2 attached, I would not spend over $35 on it. Overall, I do not regret buying this game or using the controller to play it. Collapse
  5. Jun 21, 2011
    First, this game is Incredible visually. Your first ten minutes of the game are spent drooling over the menu screen. The Lighting, sound, and character design are polished and perfect. The Match finding system is the most simple, easy to use, system in any pc game to date. Hosting a game takes seconds and joining one is even quicker. The four characters you are able to choose from are amongst the most original set a characters in any RPG. The Voice over and dialogue are absolutely perfect. The once tedious and boring act of quest finding is fixed with a mass effect wheel and witty interaction that causes you to become attached and feel the pain of the "Grieving Widow" as you help revenge her fallen husband. Now, In regards to the whining reviews from the basement dwelling crybabies complaining about the Story being "Terrible" and "predictable" as well as the battle system being "unplayable" and "boring". Let me begin by saying this game was published by Square Enix!! They're not really known for sticking their name on crap titles with poor storylines. Second, The story was so in depth, so unique and Mind grabbing that Dark Horse Comics released three comics to help complete it. The battle system and gameplay is one of the most impressive, unique, and simple to use battle systems out there. Each charcter has three unique stances in which the player needs to use effectively in order to survive. You can not just hack and slash your way through this game with a healer and a tank spamming heal potions and warcry. A beautiful, enjoyable, in depth experience overall.â Expand
  6. Jul 18, 2011
    I normally play Role-Playing Shooters like Borderlands, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc. So, a top-down view hack-n-slash mixed with RPG dialog is a bit of a switch for me. The camera angles kind of threw me off for a while, but I've learned to embrace them for one really important reason: couch co-op. My girlfriend likes games like Torchlight, and far as game play goes, this is really similar. However, it's also action-packed and dialog-heavy enough to keep a hardcore RPG shooter like me interested. My girlfriend and I were able to find this really cool common ground between our gaming preferences, and that to me is absolute gaming magic. I actually got to play a really intense RPG while spending time with someone I love. Normally time with my girlfriend and time with my gaming rig have to fight for the spotlight. Obsidian is arguably a master of RPG's. They've made some of my favorite games of all time such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol, and Fallout: New Vegas. True, they're also known for some bugs here and there, but after successfully completing this game, I can say I didn't experience even one single bug. This game is 100% absolutely rock-solid. Obsidian has masterfully made a great hack-n-slash/dungeon crawler/RPG here that should be easily enjoyable to anyone with an open mind for adventure and violence. I enjoy playing this game alone as well as co-op. In co-op you share loot, and all progress and inventory of the 2nd player is saved. Player 2 can drop out and jump back in any time they want, and when they come back (assuming the host hasn't sold everything) all their favorite weapons, armor, and upgrades will still be there. The host of the game gets to make all the RPG dialog decisions, but you can see an icon on the screen where other players are "voting" for their favored responses. Some people aren't too into the online multiplayer because only the host gets to keep the experience and loot, so single player and couch co-op are clearly the more favorable experiences. However, we started having some severe difficulty toward the very end of the game, so we opened our game to the public. Within minutes, we had two random online players join our cause and we started kicking some butt! The four of us completed the game together, and without spoiling a single thing, let me just say your decisions throughout the game matter.

We laughed, cursed, and simply had a great time. I seriously can't relate to a person who dislikes this game. It was honestly one of the best games I've ever played. If you like games like Fallout (old and new) and you also like playing games like Lego Star Wars with other people, imagine combining those play styles together. The story is very serious, and (as I mentioned) your decisions matter, but along the way you'll laugh and have fun. Upgrades are truly game-changing, and the game just gets better and better the more you advance. I've never played Dungeon Siege 1 or 2, so I have no presumptions of what this game "should have been". I humbly ask that you completely dismiss any reviews herein that compare this game to previous Dungeon Siege games or, worse yet, World of Warcraft (which is an extremely ignorant comparison to begin with). Dungeon Siege III isn't supposed to be those games, it's supposed to be unique and it truly is. I'm coming from the standpoint of judging Dungeon Siege for what it is, and it's great. I'm actually sad that I'm not going to be able to find something else quite like it!
  7. Jun 7, 2013
    Having never played the previous two Dungeon Siege games, I thought I’d give this one a go anyway and overall I must admit it impressed me. It starts off feeling a bit mediocre the levels are literally a straight line, the character control is strange, and you don’t have any abilities or companions in order to pull off good combat strategies. However, after the first hour or so the game really starts to pick up and only gets better and better from then on.

To begin with, the player gets a choice to play the game with one of the 4 characters. It might seem like a step back considering there’s no character creation feature, but these 4 characters really do cover all of the main archetypes we have Lucas, who is a paladin-like tank, Anjali, who is pretty much a pyromancer through and through, Katarina, who is a thief-like ranged fighter, and Reinhart, who is a scholar utilising all sorts of arcane sorceries. One of the impressive features of this game is that once you’ve chosen your character, the other 3 characters will become your companions during the game after certain story points. You can only have one companion at a time, but once you have them in your ‘party’ so to speak, you can swap between them at any time outside of combat.

Throughout the game you will level up and learn new abilities. There are only 9 abilities per character, but each of those can then be improved via the use of skills, which mold the said abilities in either of two possible directions. For example Lucas’ shield pummel ability can be given more damage or more chance to knock down the opponents, and so on. And finally, each character also has talents that can be levelled up. These are more like passive abilities, which cause your character to have higher attack, or better defence, or to simply gain more chances of healing upon damaging the enemies, and so on. What’s even better is that as you go through the game, you are choosing skills and talents not only for your character, but also for your companions, making their fighting style more suitable to your liking.

Apart from levelling up and gaining abilities, other standard RPG elements are present too, such as inventory management and having to optimize your gear and that of your companions as you travel through various areas and face various opponents. Although it can be fun finding cool equipment and making your character use it, the whole inventory management can feel like a bit of a drag during the times when your inventory gets full and you need to discard useless items, because we all know, in the world of RPGs, hoarding is one of our favourite hobbies.

The game mostly plays in an isometric perspective, similar to games like Diablo and Titan Quest. The combat mechanics are generally good, although the battles can seem to fluctuate between too easy and too hard at times, since the game doesn’t really feature any potions or other healing items. Any healing you get is either from your abilities or from the orbs that the enemies drop upon getting killed. So in essence, the more aggressive you are in battle, the better are your chances of staying alive, or at least that’s how I found it when playing the game as Lucas. This in turn gives forth some rather challenging boss battles, as you will find yourself fighting for your own survival.

Perhaps what I liked the most about Dungeon Siege III is how well it executes the concept of making your own choices and decisions, and having to experience what happens as a result. A lot of those tend to occur during the dialogues, which take the player to an over-the-shoulder view and add to the immersion. There are plenty of decisions thrown at you throughout the game some small, others big. The ending itself pretty much includes the outcomes of every decision you’ve made in the game, which should make the player curious as to what would happen had they made other choices.

Overall the game feels fun and engaging. Lots of control is given over your character’s skills, as well as the skills of your party. Additionally, good voice acting and the presence of moral choices make it more than just your typical hack and slash sword and sorcery RPG.
  8. Jun 22, 2011
    Why so many bad words? This is a great game with tonnes of potential. I am looking forward to the dlc packs when they get released! Well worth the money on Steam as I got the first 2 games free just before the pre-order deal expired :-D
  9. Jun 21, 2011
    This is a great game, barring a design choice with the multiplayer. Aside from limiting co-op to sharing a screen, all the other aspects of the games are really implemented well. It's easy to manage your loot, the graphics are nice, and the combat is fun and somewhat deep.
  10. Jun 21, 2011
    Uff, so much rage. Well here it goes:
    I have never been a big fan of the dungeon siege games (though I have played them both), but I honestly I can´t see the flaws the other reviewers find on this when it comes to make comparisons with the previous entries. They weren´t exactly challenging , and despite a few cosmetic changes what we have here It´s
    basically the same game: Cliché characters (based in ye good old archetipes), endless corridors (full of monsters and loot) and extremely linear gameplay (well, at least here you actually have to click on the enemies for the character to attack taking away a bit of the ¨interactive screensaver¨ feeling of the series). With the controls I had no issue wathsoever.
    About the story, I think it´s an improvement over the prequels (where it was almost non existant). It´s a bit darker, predictable yes, but well written, and the humour is still there, it´s a different kind, a bit more sophisticated without going to extremes.
    Besides that, I beg to differ about the voice acting and companion ai, for me is was pretty good. Whenever the lead character falls, there is a good chance for the companion to resurrect him.
    All in all, if you take it without inflated expectations (what we have here is yet another diablo clone) it´s a pretty good and polished little game (not one bug I found, a new landmark for Obsidian). I´ll give it a 10 though it more like a 7,5 (definitely not a 0). Have fun.
  11. Jun 21, 2011
    Attention: this is not a hack and slash in the strictest of senses for several reasons. If you want a diablo/TQ/DS clone, then don't buy this game. If you want a fun, pretty, engaging Action RPG that will challenge you, this is the game for you. The controls are decent, even though they are not remappable. They take some getting used to, but once you do, there is very little in the game to prevent you from enjoying it thoroughly, so all the ragers reviewing must have two left hands. Honestly, it baffles me that so many people encounter so many problems with what is basically a very classical control scheme. I feel that had this game been made under any other name than Dungeon Siege 3, it would be taking a lot less flak. This is a successor to theses games only in name and setting, otherwise, it's a step up, unless you enjoyed the mind numbing borefest that were the first two games after one playthrough. To each his own, I guess. Expand
  12. Jun 23, 2011
    Good graphics, good models, and on and offline co-op. For me these things definitly out weigh the story. I found the controls to be ok but I'm playing on the Xbox 360 not the PC so maybe thats why. I liked it thats all that matters to me.
  13. Jun 24, 2011
    So far the best Dungeon Siege game that has been released. While the controls might take some time to get used to, the game play is actually pretty fun. And if the mouse&keyboard setup is too much for you, you can always pick-up a controller. Graphics in the game are pretty good, the lighting and spell effects create a nice atmosphere when you are running through dungeons and getting some of that sweet sweet loot.

And trust me there's plenty of loot and monsters and on hardcore difficulty the boss fights will be challenging and still quite entertaining. Though if you expect that your characters look will change drastically with every different piece of loot, you will be disappointed. Especially the end game loot/equipment looks pretty sweet.

Even though the game doesn't last 40 hours, it does have 4 unique characters each with their own skill set adding some replay value. Also you might want to see how your choices in the game have an effect on Ehb. And there's always co-op. While it doesn't allow you to port your single player character into someone else's multiplayer game the co-op is fun. The system doesn't really encourage you to play with complete strangers, but with your online / real life buddies you can start the game from the very beginning and level that character just the way you like it and go through the story with them from the beginning to the end.
  14. Jun 26, 2011
    Dungeon Siege 3 is a game that upon release has become overlooked and under-appreciated by many players.

A very important part of a game and its congruence with the playerbase is the control scheme and accessibility. Where Dungeon Siege has been cited as lacking is in the control. What I think many people have failed to recognise is that there is more than one control option beyond using
    the mouse to move. In both of my playthroughs of the game I used the WASD movement as opposed to mouse oriented movement, and making me feel after reading these reviews that I am the only one who has used WASD movement. Also the added feature of gamepad support puts this game above many other modern games even in 2011 that do not have gamepad support. I felt more comfortable using the WASD keys than using an X360 gamepad.
    What is important to note that difficulty with controls is a problem with the player, not the game. I felt it was easy to maneuver, dodge and take a somewhat tactical approach to fighting enemies.

In terms of story, this game certainly lacks length but it does not lack content. The consistency of themes, the distinguishable characters and locations, the fluency of conversation and addition of many side quests make this game an outstanding game story-wise. Story is one of this games features that outshines it's predecessors. Having played Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 multiple times through, I know how easy it is to lose sight of quests or plot while dungeon running. Dungeon Siege 3 has countered this problem, giving what could be labeled as 'mindless-action' a sense of purpose and strong reward in the storyline and not just in terms of loot.

Graphically the game is far-beyond any dungeon based role-playing game prior. The attention to detail throughout each town, dungeon and environment exacts the distuinguishable differences between all places in the game. There is little repetitiveness, which is encountered in DS1&2, another superior feature that DS3 holds. Each dungeon is vastly different, and there is no repeated character models or world objects.

Negatives of DS3 are of course the difficulty with which many casual players would not be used to. It is a very different game to previous DS games and is also very different to many other dungeon based games. That being said, the best game experience will be had on the hardest difficulty.

In an industry where re-hashes, ports, hype and repetitiveness is garnering success, Dungeon Siege 3 was bound to receive negative reviews. Many players are scared to try something new or are scared to deal with a little bit of challenge. When you play this game with an unbiased view, when you seek to enjoy and not to criticise you will find that this 'gem in the rough' is a possible contender for 2011 GOTY.
  15. Oct 17, 2011
    Amazing game, very flexible characters (I usually play mage, but it was so fun to play with Anjili and Katarina that I didn't even bother to try mage). The camera can sometimes be annoying but you get used to it specially if you rebind it's controls (I binded right-mouse button to move the camera and disabled the automatic camera). Good plot, nice small changes, and the graphic is amazing. The game-play reminded me a LOT from "Nox" (ahh, good times). Could use a little better voice acting and NPC animations, but other than that very good. I would normally rate this an 8, but thanks to all the mentally impaired that rated it 0~1, I will rate it 10. Expand
  16. Oct 12, 2011
    I played with a wire xbox 360 controller and this is what I got out of it: The game employs a nice blend of fast-paced action and quick-thinking strategy. The spells and abilities are simple, yet as complex as you want them to be. The gameplay is explosive but you can't let your guard down, you will have to think quickly if you want to overcome the challenges. I found it extremely satisfying.
  17. Nov 20, 2012
    I'm disappointed in the low scores so many people are giving this game. I enjoyed this game a lot more than Dragon Age 2, and almost as much as Origins. The world is vivid, and the storyline, while not being super creative, is interesting enough to keep me engaged all the way through. This game kept me at my computer way too much until such time as I finished it. Addictive, immersive and enjoyable all the way through. Expand
  18. May 28, 2012
    It's been almost a year since the game was out, if you play it today, what would the rating be? I give it a solid 8, but I will be rating it 10 in order to compensate a little for the rabid idiots who have been voting the game down.

The game plays better if you use a controller but since the controls are customizable, you can play it whatever way you like. I recommend using a, and d keys
    for moving left and right instead of rotating the camera. This will make the keyboard + mouse combo easy to use and should take care of all the control related complaints.

This game is more console-ish, there is more emphasis on action and less emphasis on stats. It is an Action RPG, whilst the earlier Dungeon Siege were CRPGs. However, the earlier Dungeon Siege's were mediocre CRPGs, while this is actually a GOOD game.

Graphics are really great and the 3D Modellers and the concept artists are to be commended for creating compositions that look beautiful whichever way you are travelling in the game. Great job on art, guys.

The story is standard fare, but still manages to be interesting. You will be interested in finding out what really happened - did the legion really kill the king?

The combat is vastly improved compared to the previous Dungeon Siege versions. The boss battles are frantic, and you are generally on the edge, with you characters getting knocked out often. The standard encounters are easier, but still present a challenge. At least for me, Obsidian got the difficulty just right.

The loot has become less interesting, but still retain the decision making element - do I go for this helm that ups my attack power, or do I go for the one that improves my blocking. And that sort of points to the biggest weakness of the game. It is NOT obvious which stat does what. I have no Idea what the doom stat does, for example. An online search in google has proved fruitless.
    All in all, a very enjoyable game.
  19. Jul 16, 2013
    I loved DS3. However I can see the problems people have had. Please let me lay those fears aside though.

One primary complaint was, when the game was first released the controls were not re-mappable. Meaning you could not change which keys do what. That did make control awkward and it was unfair for left handed players. However the controls are now re-mappable. Community backlash got
    the developers to make an update patch which makes it so.

Anyway pressing on. When I first played the demo, I was shocked how different it was from the first two games. Then replaying the demo a few times I slowly grew to love it, (and I was increasingly attracted by the graphics). I looked forward to the day I bought the game. One aspect that stood out, was movement is by keys, rather than clicking on the map like previous DS. Combat in DS3 is click once per strike, whereas before in DS you could make it auto-fire. (There is no archer character by the way, and instead a shooter and all characters weapon sets are pre-determined.)

When you play then, you will need to do this:
    For PC mouse and keyboard, you can re-configure the control keys. I have put 'A' and 'D' to straife/move left and right. I use the 'hold middle mouse', for camera rotate. (Someone, I read mapped that to RMB.) Of course you can use the 'mouse to the edge of screen' for camera rotate, like DS1+2. I found control very good once quiclky adjusted.

The second major complaint folk have is that the game 'checkpoints' spoil it. Let me put again put fears quickly aside over this:
    The save beacons are not checkpoints. Use each save beacon repeatedly to save your game as often as you like. You receive a health to maximum when you do too. Also you can overwrite saved games in the save window, so you don't accumulate to many. Sometimes though it might be an idea not to overwrite.

I would also say explore everything. Furthermore I have found treasure chests I missed, by going back to have another look round where I was before. Revisiting old areas very often makes you bump into new enemies put there for you. These all add up in your XP so you can level up more, before moving on in the game. Plus by defeating more baddies, you get more gold and items so there's a chance of getting better kit.

DS3 on release had control problems, but I have however mentioned all the ways I can to maximise your fun. I explore slowly as I thought I would. I meander about because the scenery is gorgeous. The countryside parts, paths in woods I mean, are exciting and the first village is quaint and beautiful. The story is good and quickly got fully involving and exciting. There are no downfalls, the game is charming, and other positive reviewers confer with how DS3 is. Furthermore, it's twenty-five hours plus game-play, which contradicts the claims of twelve hours set out by some.

Don't be afraid to try this game. Just be prepared for a modern take.
    (Remember it was a long time coming from DS2, when dungeon type games were different. Once you adjust, and very quickly get comfortable with the controls, it looks just like a modern Dungeon Siege.)
  20. Jun 19, 2013
    My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed this game. A fun and inviting fantasy world with a interactive and engaging storyline, what more could one ask for. Aside from these things the co-operative play was really fun and we found it easy to pick up where we left off. We're on our second play through (a year later) and we're having lots of fun.
  21. Sep 15, 2013
    I highly recommend this game. play it with someone locally (two controllers) for the entire campaign and you wont regret it.
    the main thing i can say about it is that its fun, we spend hours playing it and we just had fun.
  22. Jun 26, 2011

1. Oct 26, 2011
    One of the biggest differences in this game is that you exert a lot of control over your main character.
  2. Aug 30, 2011
    Ultimately, Dungeon Siege III is an easy-to-play popcorn journey into the classic action-RPG genre, hitting every checkbox. There is little innovation here, but it offers plenty of examples of how good design and development practices can make a derivative game enjoyable - and how a pretty severely console-designed game can be adjusted to feel largely right on a PC.
    Don't be discouraged by the slow and dumb beginning of the game – you'll be rewarded by many hours of fun. Strong story and cooperative multiplayer are more than worth your attention. [Issue#207]