4.6

1. Jun 22, 2011
    I am unsure why there is so much negativity. pro: good graphics, doesn't crash, reasonable story.

cons: keyboard controls are awkward, can't change bindings. Long linear levels.

I have had quite a bit of fun with this game. More than dragon age 2 which I have sort of given up on. I didn't have to pay full price and I am certainly getting my moneys worth out of it. It has been so long
    since I played DS 1 and 2 I honestly can't remember them that well. Some people make out that they were great games, in my mind they were pretty average at best. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2012
    If you played the demo, you probably thought the same thing I did: this is looking like a pretty forgettable game. Honestly, the first hour or two really is I think, especially when you look at the price tag associated with this game. I was able to get this game and the two prequels for $9.99 on a Steam sale, so I was content to give it another shot. I think the biggest issue with this game is that it fails to grip you in those first 15 minutes. If you stick around longer than that, then maybe you've gotten to the first town. At around the 30 minute mark you should be walking up to your first dungeon, and consequently the first real challenge the game offers. It was right about there that I really began to enjoy the gameplay. Also, gamepad controls for this are much more superior than the PC controls imo. It just translates better. I think the media's review of the game at around a 70 average would have been fair, IF they hadn't released the game at full new game price. Honestly, I don't see the value there for it. Had they started off at $29.99, I think that would had gone over much better for the rest of us. As it stands, there's some good value here at a decent sale price of $19.99 if you are in the mood for a psudo-Diablo style RPG. If you can snag it for less, and you've enjoyed games of this genre before, I recommend picking this one up for sure. I'm giving it an 8/10 since I am thoroughly enjoying it now that I've got momentum going with it, but since this game has been voted down so bad by the user score I've decided to bump it up to 10/10 to influence the ranking a bit; I don't think it deserves less than 6. Anyway, snag this on sale at the next opportunity you can! Expand
  3. Jun 21, 2011
    Ok, so this isn't exactly the Dungeon Siege game everyone's been waiting for. However, if we look past that, it is a pretty good game in its own right. The biggest strength of Dungeon Siege 3 is the combat system. Between two different resources, changing stances, rolling around to avoid hits, and well designed boss fights, combat is a lot of fun. In fact, it's no doubt the most fun aspect of the game. And is there anything more important in a hack and slash action RPG than combat? I would say no.

Unfortunately, depending on how fast you're able to adapt, the camera controls and character controls can be quite annoying, especially at first. It's very much a matter of an individual opinion and playstyle, and opinions about game's controls will range from borderline unplayable to minor annoyance that's hardly noticeable after first 10 minutes. There is a demo available, which is more than enough to check whether you can get past game's control scheme or not.

If you're in the camp of people who don't find the controls to be a big problem, and can enjoy the game for what it is, not for what hardcore Dungeon Siege fans expected it to be, it will reward you with a very satisfying hack and slash action, that's far more involving and exciting than average action RPG.

Sadly, the game isn't as long as it could have been, finishing the entire game takes about 15 hours of gameplay. The game lacks New Game+ as well, which is a disappointment. However, despite all that, it's a very satisfying experience while it lasts.
  4. Jul 18, 2011
    I normally play Role-Playing Shooters like Borderlands, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc. So, a top-down view hack-n-slash mixed with RPG dialog is a bit of a switch for me. The camera angles kind of threw me off for a while, but I've learned to embrace them for one really important reason: couch co-op. My girlfriend likes games like Torchlight, and far as game play goes, this is really similar. However, it's also action-packed and dialog-heavy enough to keep a hardcore RPG shooter like me interested. My girlfriend and I were able to find this really cool common ground between our gaming preferences, and that to me is absolute gaming magic. I actually got to play a really intense RPG while spending time with someone I love. Normally time with my girlfriend and time with my gaming rig have to fight for the spotlight. Obsidian is arguably a master of RPG's. They've made some of my favorite games of all time such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol, and Fallout: New Vegas. True, they're also known for some bugs here and there, but after successfully completing this game, I can say I didn't experience even one single bug. This game is 100% absolutely rock-solid. Obsidian has masterfully made a great hack-n-slash/dungeon crawler/RPG here that should be easily enjoyable to anyone with an open mind for adventure and violence. I enjoy playing this game alone as well as co-op. In co-op you share loot, and all progress and inventory of the 2nd player is saved. Player 2 can drop out and jump back in any time they want, and when they come back (assuming the host hasn't sold everything) all their favorite weapons, armor, and upgrades will still be there. The host of the game gets to make all the RPG dialog decisions, but you can see an icon on the screen where other players are "voting" for their favored responses. Some people aren't too into the online multiplayer because only the host gets to keep the experience and loot, so single player and couch co-op are clearly the more favorable experiences. However, we started having some severe difficulty toward the very end of the game, so we opened our game to the public. Within minutes, we had two random online players join our cause and we started kicking some butt! The four of us completed the game together, and without spoiling a single thing, let me just say your decisions throughout the game matter.

We laughed, cursed, and simply had a great time. I seriously can't relate to a person who dislikes this game. It was honestly one of the best games I've ever played. If you like games like Fallout (old and new) and you also like playing games like Lego Star Wars with other people, imagine combining those play styles together. The story is very serious, and (as I mentioned) your decisions matter, but along the way you'll laugh and have fun. Upgrades are truly game-changing, and the game just gets better and better the more you advance. I've never played Dungeon Siege 1 or 2, so I have no presumptions of what this game "should have been". I humbly ask that you completely dismiss any reviews herein that compare this game to previous Dungeon Siege games or, worse yet, World of Warcraft (which is an extremely ignorant comparison to begin with). Dungeon Siege III isn't supposed to be those games, it's supposed to be unique and it truly is. I'm coming from the standpoint of judging Dungeon Siege for what it is, and it's great. I'm actually sad that I'm not going to be able to find something else quite like it!
  5. Jun 22, 2011
    Why so many bad words? This is a great game with tonnes of potential. I am looking forward to the dlc packs when they get released! Well worth the money on Steam as I got the first 2 games free just before the pre-order deal expired :-D
  6. Jun 21, 2011
    Uff, so much rage. Well here it goes:
    I have never been a big fan of the dungeon siege games (though I have played them both), but I honestly I can´t see the flaws the other reviewers find on this when it comes to make comparisons with the previous entries. They weren´t exactly challenging , and despite a few cosmetic changes what we have here It´s
    basically the same game: Cliché characters (based in ye good old archetipes), endless corridors (full of monsters and loot) and extremely linear gameplay (well, at least here you actually have to click on the enemies for the character to attack taking away a bit of the ¨interactive screensaver¨ feeling of the series). With the controls I had no issue wathsoever.
    About the story, I think it´s an improvement over the prequels (where it was almost non existant). It´s a bit darker, predictable yes, but well written, and the humour is still there, it´s a different kind, a bit more sophisticated without going to extremes.
    Besides that, I beg to differ about the voice acting and companion ai, for me is was pretty good. Whenever the lead character falls, there is a good chance for the companion to resurrect him.
    All in all, if you take it without inflated expectations (what we have here is yet another diablo clone) it´s a pretty good and polished little game (not one bug I found, a new landmark for Obsidian). I´ll give it a 10 though it more like a 7,5 (definitely not a 0). Have fun.
  7. Jun 23, 2011
    Good graphics, good models, and on and offline co-op. For me these things definitly out weigh the story. I found the controls to be ok but I'm playing on the Xbox 360 not the PC so maybe thats why. I liked it thats all that matters to me.
  8. Jun 24, 2011
    So far the best Dungeon Siege game that has been released. While the controls might take some time to get used to, the game play is actually pretty fun. And if the mouse&keyboard setup is too much for you, you can always pick-up a controller. Graphics in the game are pretty good, the lighting and spell effects create a nice atmosphere when you are running through dungeons and getting some of that sweet sweet loot.

And trust me there's plenty of loot and monsters and on hardcore difficulty the boss fights will be challenging and still quite entertaining. Though if you expect that your characters look will change drastically with every different piece of loot, you will be disappointed. Especially the end game loot/equipment looks pretty sweet.

Even though the game doesn't last 40 hours, it does have 4 unique characters each with their own skill set adding some replay value. Also you might want to see how your choices in the game have an effect on Ehb. And there's always co-op. While it doesn't allow you to port your single player character into someone else's multiplayer game the co-op is fun. The system doesn't really encourage you to play with complete strangers, but with your online / real life buddies you can start the game from the very beginning and level that character just the way you like it and go through the story with them from the beginning to the end.
  9. Oct 17, 2011
    Amazing game, very flexible characters (I usually play mage, but it was so fun to play with Anjili and Katarina that I didn't even bother to try mage). The camera can sometimes be annoying but you get used to it specially if you rebind it's controls (I binded right-mouse button to move the camera and disabled the automatic camera). Good plot, nice small changes, and the graphic is amazing. The game-play reminded me a LOT from "Nox" (ahh, good times). Could use a little better voice acting and NPC animations, but other than that very good. I would normally rate this an 8, but thanks to all the mentally impaired that rated it 0~1, I will rate it 10. Expand
  10. Oct 12, 2011
    I played with a wire xbox 360 controller and this is what I got out of it: The game employs a nice blend of fast-paced action and quick-thinking strategy. The spells and abilities are simple, yet as complex as you want them to be. The gameplay is explosive but you can't let your guard down, you will have to think quickly if you want to overcome the challenges. I found it extremely satisfying.
  11. May 28, 2012
    It's been almost a year since the game was out, if you play it today, what would the rating be? I give it a solid 8, but I will be rating it 10 in order to compensate a little for the rabid idiots who have been voting the game down.

The game plays better if you use a controller but since the controls are customizable, you can play it whatever way you like. I recommend using a, and d keys
    for moving left and right instead of rotating the camera. This will make the keyboard + mouse combo easy to use and should take care of all the control related complaints.

This game is more console-ish, there is more emphasis on action and less emphasis on stats. It is an Action RPG, whilst the earlier Dungeon Siege were CRPGs. However, the earlier Dungeon Siege's were mediocre CRPGs, while this is actually a GOOD game.

Graphics are really great and the 3D Modellers and the concept artists are to be commended for creating compositions that look beautiful whichever way you are travelling in the game. Great job on art, guys.

The story is standard fare, but still manages to be interesting. You will be interested in finding out what really happened - did the legion really kill the king?

The combat is vastly improved compared to the previous Dungeon Siege versions. The boss battles are frantic, and you are generally on the edge, with you characters getting knocked out often. The standard encounters are easier, but still present a challenge. At least for me, Obsidian got the difficulty just right.

The loot has become less interesting, but still retain the decision making element - do I go for this helm that ups my attack power, or do I go for the one that improves my blocking. And that sort of points to the biggest weakness of the game. It is NOT obvious which stat does what. I have no Idea what the doom stat does, for example. An online search in google has proved fruitless.
    All in all, a very enjoyable game.
  12. Jun 19, 2013
    My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed this game. A fun and inviting fantasy world with a interactive and engaging storyline, what more could one ask for. Aside from these things the co-operative play was really fun and we found it easy to pick up where we left off. We're on our second play through (a year later) and we're having lots of fun.
  13. Jun 26, 2011
    So, the common complaints are controls, loot, storyline, deviation from Dungeon Siege 1 and 2. I will agree a bit with the controls had I not had an XBox 360 controller to use. The controller made this game very enjoyable with regards to a hack-and-slash dungeon crawler. It is easy to switch between powers and move around IF you have the controller. I would avoid the mouse and keyboard completely. Second, the loot is a bit typical with 4 classes (white, blue, green and the rare orange items). I had armor at the end that gave me wings of fire (rare). However, most items are based on the character you want to build. i.e. One that heavily blocks or one that is fast and attacks full-on. As far as the storyline, ignore the comments of predictability. You are given choices and the storyline changes based on those choices. The ending sequences are like Fallout 3, based on what you accomplished and the decisions you made. Finally, while this is a deviation from the standard Dungeon Siege combat system, it is enjoyable if you manage to have a controller. I know, why use a controller on PC. Because, I have the option to do so. This game is not for everyone and many diehard Dungeon Siege fans will hate it. However, as a stand-alone game, it is rather enjoyable and easily addictive. The biggest part will be playing a 4 person squad in multiplayer. So, why did I give it a 9? Simple, the messed up keyboard and mouse controls that force you to use the controller. And, at times, you will find the camera at odd angles and unable to see anything except a wall. I purchased this game and received Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 free, so it was worth $45. However, if you are going to buy this game only without 1 and 2 attached, I would not spend over $35 on it. Overall, I do not regret buying this game or using the controller to play it. Expand
  14. Jun 21, 2011
    First, this game is Incredible visually. Your first ten minutes of the game are spent drooling over the menu screen. The Lighting, sound, and character design are polished and perfect. The Match finding system is the most simple, easy to use, system in any pc game to date. Hosting a game takes seconds and joining one is even quicker. The four characters you are able to choose from are amongst the most original set a characters in any RPG. The Voice over and dialogue are absolutely perfect. The once tedious and boring act of quest finding is fixed with a mass effect wheel and witty interaction that causes you to become attached and feel the pain of the "Grieving Widow" as you help revenge her fallen husband. Now, In regards to the whining reviews from the basement dwelling crybabies complaining about the Story being "Terrible" and "predictable" as well as the battle system being "unplayable" and "boring". Let me begin by saying this game was published by Square Enix!! They're not really known for sticking their name on crap titles with poor storylines. Second, The story was so in depth, so unique and Mind grabbing that Dark Horse Comics released three comics to help complete it. The battle system and gameplay is one of the most impressive, unique, and simple to use battle systems out there. Each charcter has three unique stances in which the player needs to use effectively in order to survive. You can not just hack and slash your way through this game with a healer and a tank spamming heal potions and warcry. A beautiful, enjoyable, in depth experience overall.â Expand
  15. Jun 7, 2013
    Having never played the previous two Dungeon Siege games, I thought I’d give this one a go anyway and overall I must admit it impressed me. It starts off feeling a bit mediocre the levels are literally a straight line, the character control is strange, and you don’t have any abilities or companions in order to pull off good combat strategies. However, after the first hour or so the game really starts to pick up and only gets better and better from then on.

To begin with, the player gets a choice to play the game with one of the 4 characters. It might seem like a step back considering there’s no character creation feature, but these 4 characters really do cover all of the main archetypes we have Lucas, who is a paladin-like tank, Anjali, who is pretty much a pyromancer through and through, Katarina, who is a thief-like ranged fighter, and Reinhart, who is a scholar utilising all sorts of arcane sorceries. One of the impressive features of this game is that once you’ve chosen your character, the other 3 characters will become your companions during the game after certain story points. You can only have one companion at a time, but once you have them in your ‘party’ so to speak, you can swap between them at any time outside of combat.

Throughout the game you will level up and learn new abilities. There are only 9 abilities per character, but each of those can then be improved via the use of skills, which mold the said abilities in either of two possible directions. For example Lucas’ shield pummel ability can be given more damage or more chance to knock down the opponents, and so on. And finally, each character also has talents that can be levelled up. These are more like passive abilities, which cause your character to have higher attack, or better defence, or to simply gain more chances of healing upon damaging the enemies, and so on. What’s even better is that as you go through the game, you are choosing skills and talents not only for your character, but also for your companions, making their fighting style more suitable to your liking.

Apart from levelling up and gaining abilities, other standard RPG elements are present too, such as inventory management and having to optimize your gear and that of your companions as you travel through various areas and face various opponents. Although it can be fun finding cool equipment and making your character use it, the whole inventory management can feel like a bit of a drag during the times when your inventory gets full and you need to discard useless items, because we all know, in the world of RPGs, hoarding is one of our favourite hobbies.

The game mostly plays in an isometric perspective, similar to games like Diablo and Titan Quest. The combat mechanics are generally good, although the battles can seem to fluctuate between too easy and too hard at times, since the game doesn’t really feature any potions or other healing items. Any healing you get is either from your abilities or from the orbs that the enemies drop upon getting killed. So in essence, the more aggressive you are in battle, the better are your chances of staying alive, or at least that’s how I found it when playing the game as Lucas. This in turn gives forth some rather challenging boss battles, as you will find yourself fighting for your own survival.

Perhaps what I liked the most about Dungeon Siege III is how well it executes the concept of making your own choices and decisions, and having to experience what happens as a result. A lot of those tend to occur during the dialogues, which take the player to an over-the-shoulder view and add to the immersion. There are plenty of decisions thrown at you throughout the game some small, others big. The ending itself pretty much includes the outcomes of every decision you’ve made in the game, which should make the player curious as to what would happen had they made other choices.

Overall the game feels fun and engaging. Lots of control is given over your character’s skills, as well as the skills of your party. Additionally, good voice acting and the presence of moral choices make it more than just your typical hack and slash sword and sorcery RPG.
  16. Jun 21, 2011
    This is a great game, barring a design choice with the multiplayer. Aside from limiting co-op to sharing a screen, all the other aspects of the games are really implemented well. It's easy to manage your loot, the graphics are nice, and the combat is fun and somewhat deep.
  17. Jun 21, 2011
    Attention: this is not a hack and slash in the strictest of senses for several reasons. If you want a diablo/TQ/DS clone, then don't buy this game. If you want a fun, pretty, engaging Action RPG that will challenge you, this is the game for you. The controls are decent, even though they are not remappable. They take some getting used to, but once you do, there is very little in the game to prevent you from enjoying it thoroughly, so all the ragers reviewing must have two left hands. Honestly, it baffles me that so many people encounter so many problems with what is basically a very classical control scheme. I feel that had this game been made under any other name than Dungeon Siege 3, it would be taking a lot less flak. This is a successor to theses games only in name and setting, otherwise, it's a step up, unless you enjoyed the mind numbing borefest that were the first two games after one playthrough. To each his own, I guess. Expand
  18. Jun 26, 2011
    Dungeon Siege 3 is a game that upon release has become overlooked and under-appreciated by many players.

A very important part of a game and its congruence with the playerbase is the control scheme and accessibility. Where Dungeon Siege has been cited as lacking is in the control. What I think many people have failed to recognise is that there is more than one control option beyond using
    the mouse to move. In both of my playthroughs of the game I used the WASD movement as opposed to mouse oriented movement, and making me feel after reading these reviews that I am the only one who has used WASD movement. Also the added feature of gamepad support puts this game above many other modern games even in 2011 that do not have gamepad support. I felt more comfortable using the WASD keys than using an X360 gamepad.
    What is important to note that difficulty with controls is a problem with the player, not the game. I felt it was easy to maneuver, dodge and take a somewhat tactical approach to fighting enemies.

In terms of story, this game certainly lacks length but it does not lack content. The consistency of themes, the distinguishable characters and locations, the fluency of conversation and addition of many side quests make this game an outstanding game story-wise. Story is one of this games features that outshines it's predecessors. Having played Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 multiple times through, I know how easy it is to lose sight of quests or plot while dungeon running. Dungeon Siege 3 has countered this problem, giving what could be labeled as 'mindless-action' a sense of purpose and strong reward in the storyline and not just in terms of loot.

Graphically the game is far-beyond any dungeon based role-playing game prior. The attention to detail throughout each town, dungeon and environment exacts the distuinguishable differences between all places in the game. There is little repetitiveness, which is encountered in DS1&2, another superior feature that DS3 holds. Each dungeon is vastly different, and there is no repeated character models or world objects.

Negatives of DS3 are of course the difficulty with which many casual players would not be used to. It is a very different game to previous DS games and is also very different to many other dungeon based games. That being said, the best game experience will be had on the hardest difficulty.

In an industry where re-hashes, ports, hype and repetitiveness is garnering success, Dungeon Siege 3 was bound to receive negative reviews. Many players are scared to try something new or are scared to deal with a little bit of challenge. When you play this game with an unbiased view, when you seek to enjoy and not to criticise you will find that this 'gem in the rough' is a possible contender for 2011 GOTY.
  19. Nov 20, 2012
    I'm disappointed in the low scores so many people are giving this game. I enjoyed this game a lot more than Dragon Age 2, and almost as much as Origins. The world is vivid, and the storyline, while not being super creative, is interesting enough to keep me engaged all the way through. This game kept me at my computer way too much until such time as I finished it. Addictive, immersive and enjoyable all the way through. Expand
  20. Jul 16, 2013
    I loved DS3. However I can see the problems people have had. Please let me lay those fears aside though.

One primary complaint was, when the game was first released the controls were not re-mappable. Meaning you could not change which keys do what. That did make control awkward and it was unfair for left handed players. However the controls are now re-mappable. Community backlash got
    the developers to make an update patch which makes it so.

Anyway pressing on. When I first played the demo, I was shocked how different it was from the first two games. Then replaying the demo a few times I slowly grew to love it, (and I was increasingly attracted by the graphics). I looked forward to the day I bought the game. One aspect that stood out, was movement is by keys, rather than clicking on the map like previous DS. Combat in DS3 is click once per strike, whereas before in DS you could make it auto-fire. (There is no archer character by the way, and instead a shooter and all characters weapon sets are pre-determined.)

When you play then, you will need to do this:
    For PC mouse and keyboard, you can re-configure the control keys. I have put 'A' and 'D' to straife/move left and right. I use the 'hold middle mouse', for camera rotate. (Someone, I read mapped that to RMB.) Of course you can use the 'mouse to the edge of screen' for camera rotate, like DS1+2. I found control very good once quiclky adjusted.

The second major complaint folk have is that the game 'checkpoints' spoil it. Let me put again put fears quickly aside over this:
    The save beacons are not checkpoints. Use each save beacon repeatedly to save your game as often as you like. You receive a health to maximum when you do too. Also you can overwrite saved games in the save window, so you don't accumulate to many. Sometimes though it might be an idea not to overwrite.

I would also say explore everything. Furthermore I have found treasure chests I missed, by going back to have another look round where I was before. Revisiting old areas very often makes you bump into new enemies put there for you. These all add up in your XP so you can level up more, before moving on in the game. Plus by defeating more baddies, you get more gold and items so there's a chance of getting better kit.

DS3 on release had control problems, but I have however mentioned all the ways I can to maximise your fun. I explore slowly as I thought I would. I meander about because the scenery is gorgeous. The countryside parts, paths in woods I mean, are exciting and the first village is quaint and beautiful. The story is good and quickly got fully involving and exciting. There are no downfalls, the game is charming, and other positive reviewers confer with how DS3 is. Furthermore, it's twenty-five hours plus game-play, which contradicts the claims of twelve hours set out by some.

Don't be afraid to try this game. Just be prepared for a modern take.
    (Remember it was a long time coming from DS2, when dungeon type games were different. Once you adjust, and very quickly get comfortable with the controls, it looks just like a modern Dungeon Siege.)
  21. Sep 15, 2013
    I highly recommend this game. play it with someone locally (two controllers) for the entire campaign and you wont regret it.
    the main thing i can say about it is that its fun, we spend hours playing it and we just had fun.
  22. Jun 23, 2011
    My opinion is that most of these negative reviews are of jaded perceptions that hold little merit. Obsidian delivers another excellent "squeal". Yet here they are being stabbed with verbal abuse from the vast span of the internet! I beginning to feel sympathetic towards the gaming industry. It's a very competitive market. This is the world of entertainment nonetheless. Many groundbreaking games have been released in the past, thus causing the individuals who play them to become quite spoiled. Now, I'm not one to say; "No you must like everything!" You can either dislike or like products. It is your choice, the law of freewill dictates this to us. Developers have a certain mindset, and usually they feel their methods are the correct way. There will be those who disagree, of course. They should be constructive with criticism and analysis. Not throw a fit a-la-Dragon age II, and become the next anti-corporate activist. Okay, maybe that was a little harsh, but I digress. On to Dungeon Siege III, the latest game in a trilogy of action-rpgs from the mind of Chris Taylor. Well, he consulted on this one! Whatever, his touch was there even if it was being lived vicariously through Obsidian. The combat is fast paced, the engine is streamlined and fluid, storyline immersion is present. Everything a rpg creme-de-la-Chris Taylor would have. Controls are bit wonky, the AI is clearly scripted, yet holds some level of difficulty. The level design is bit darkly artistic, but fits the theme. There's clearly a lack of mouthwatering abilities/skills. The co-op is slightly iffy, but doesn't ruin your experience. At least it shouldn't. It has multiplayer co-op, which works! Dungeon Siege II had some serious issues there back in 05/06. It's a well done action-rpg game, which though not incredibly stand-out from it's predecessor's it's worth the purchase and play. Even if your new to the series, try this game. Giving it a modest B rating. Expand
  23. Jul 5, 2013
    Very underrated game in this genre. Sure it's multiplayer sucks with its restrictions, but as a single player game I found this game to be far more interesting than the likes of Diablo 3. I'm writing this review a long time after the game's release and I bought it on day one. You can easily find this game on the web for a ridiculously low price and it's worth more than every penny. The expansion was well planned out too. If you are a fan of ARPG games you owe it to yourself to at least give the single player a go. Expand
  24. May 28, 2012
    Good game from the developers of Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. The game has an interesting plot, non-linear construction of the dialogues, moral dilemmas, which influences the further development of the plot and others qualities of classic RPG. The graphic is not perfect, but the textures and shadows are pretty. Soundtrack is unobtrusive.
    Cons - ugly controls and annoying
    monsters respawn. Expand
  25. Jun 21, 2011
    So much hate. People are complaining about how DS1 and 2 were sooo much better yet they probably haven't played those games in ages.

Nostalgia can fog the memory so I took a little journey on DS1 and 2 to rekindle my love for the games. I couldn't even get through 10 minutes of DS1 and I distinctly remember this game being amazing. DS2 was significantly better but all of the things people
    are ripping on DS3 about are IN DS2!!!

Stupid AI: Check - Horrible Camera: Check - Only a handful of skills per class: Check (In fact, there are MORE in DS3 than DS2 per class!!!) - Click on a mob and wait for it to die while chugging potions: Check.

Really, people need to get a grip before posting. A 0 is unacceptable for any game (unless it's about Justin Bieber). Any score below a 5 is just some butt hurt crybaby who thinks DS1 or 2 was better. That's it. On to the game - The controls DO suck in DS3, there's no avoiding that, but using the right click on the mouse and A and D to maneuver the camera is actually very nice after a few minutes and becomes second nature. Yes, you can only have 2 people in your party, but that's all you need. It's mean to be just you slashing away at monsters. Your partner is just there for kicks. Yes, that's nothing like DS1 and 2 but it's not bad. There's tons of loot, 9 usable skills, 10 talents, and 5 upgrades to each skill per character. That's way more than DS1 and 2. They have the archetype for warrior, ranger, combat mage, and crazy fire chick with a spear. It's a fun game. Multiplayer sucks because player 2 is boned but single player is a blast. Don't listen to the upset DS fanboys who all of the sudden come crawling out of the woodwork to cry foul. It's a solid 7 / 7.5 / 8 game depending on how you spend your time and I'd say worth the money.
  26. Jun 22, 2011
    I am seriously shocked, confused, and aggrevated by all of the negative reviews this game is getting. This is a good game, and it definitely does not deserve to be bashed and trashed like this. I just played through both the 1st and 2nd games, and I am really enjoying this one as well. In fact, even though the 2nd game was indeed great I thought it was a bit too long and drawn out, especially toward the end. Listen, if you are looking for a new hack n' slash game, and aren't 15 years old expecting it to "change your life", then I say don't listen to these crazy haters and go for it. The graphics are sharp, the gameplay is tight, the story is interesting, there is a ton of loot to find, tons of monsters to smite, alot of interesting lore to be discovered, the game is stable without any show stopping bugs, it runs at good solid framerates with the recommended requirments met, the cutscenes are good (although they are done in an art style I know some won't understand) and the voice acting is really good. Granted this game is done a bit different than the previous games, but honestly, is that such a bad thing? Yes, maybe it is a bit consolized, but why does PC = holy, and console = evil nowadays? I have enjoyed both equally for 27 years now, and I don't understand that war at all. Anyway, this game is alot more like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliace, and Champions of Norrath series, which if you have played them, you know those were great hack n' slash games and both get good to great reviews, yet this game is twice as good and just gets kicked to the curb! I just don't understand it, it seems to me like PC gamers are just getting out of hand in the whining and complaining department simply because games don't meet their unrealistic expectations of being "Earth Shattering". Even though I believe Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 will be great games and without a doubt will do it better than any previous games in the genre, do you really think they are going to be THAT much different and more innovative than anything els before it? Like Judas Priest said back in the day... "you got another thing comin'".

This is just one of a bunch of recent games taking undeserved negative criticism. I am starting to question whether it actually pays to read game reviews anymore. You can't trust anyone, and surprisingly, the gamers themselves are the most untrustworthy reviewers of them all! Yay, bandwagoning!
  27. Jun 21, 2011
    I bought this game by 17 th -Friday, so I had quite time to play through the weekend. I like it quite much. This game have beautiful graphics, good challenging fighting system (more action), ok plot, interesting exploring of new locations, quite well done creatures and for me re-playability â
  28. Jun 21, 2011
    This game is incredible and one of the best co-op experiences I have had on PC in quite some time. The graphics are not just good or passable, they are great. If this game doesn't look good, then stop playing it on your grandma's computer. I actually walked my character backward so I could again see the brief reflection of the moon in a puddle in one scene. Cut scenes are good and voice actors use appropriate accents and emotion. Every quest is given through cut scene making the quests much more integrated into the story. Character design is far from cliche, with a magic user that is actually a fire spirit with a mysterious background, a female character with both short range and long range guns, and an old geezer with awesome arcane time-bending magic powered through a gauntlet. Plot development and story is more important than allowing fanboys to play dressup with their scantily-clad nighelf dolls. You have four characters to choose from, and the developers went the extra mile changing the story and cutscenes to reflect which character you are using and is present in your party. Music and atmosphere are awesome and work incredibly well to actually immerse the player within the story right from the beginning. In the opening scene, if you listen carefully you can actually hear screams of people very faintly as a manor house burns to the ground, raising the tension dramatically once you catch it. The combat system is a blast! Typical top-down RPG's require heavy investment in uber armor or your character is doomed to be the worthless side kick ranged healer/caster/archer. Not in this game. Each character is given a different "stance" that is more effective in either long or short range combat situations. The addition of the switchable stances make the fight more tactical as a mob you were trying to snipe suddenly turns and charges. Also, the armor and combat is balanced in such a way that most of the characters MUST use their dodge ability which makes the combat much more challenging, original and realistic. Learning to use dodge/block/heal effectively is important, and you cannot just spam heal potions or rely on 30 summoned wolves to fight for your lazy main character. Other reviews have pointed out that the skill tree is not the same as Diablo 2 or Titan's Quest. Everyone accepts that TQ was a Diablo clone and was made to hold us over 'til Diablo 3 gets released 20 years from now. That was not the intent with this game. Rather than copy or clone some other game, they developed a system that allows for modifying the combat style of the character while sticking to skills and abilities that actually make sense for the character. Katarina's bullets can be given the ability to ricochet, Anjali can heal from her fire Area Effect attack, and Lucas can add stuns to his charge attack. These are abilities and skills that make sense with the character design. Co-op is built and implemented very well. Start a new game or load an existing game. Hit a button in the menu and suddenly the game opens to either a public or private game. There is no obnoxious lobby, there is no waiting, and others can join or drop as they wish. You can even co-op on one machine if you have a controller (thank you). There is one serious flaw on co-op that hurts the game and looks like a lazy move on the developers part. If I host a game and others join, the ones who have joined have no way to save their progress on their system. The data is saved on the hosted system, but those that have joined are left out of the save feature. That is not to say they lose their progress as they can always come back to my hosted game at a later time and their character is still there with the same skills and equipment, but that is still a huge glaring flaw that can be blamed squarely on "console port", and could have easily been fixed by using the previous Dungeon Siege game save model. Boooo. They also could have tossed us PC gamers a bone with ten minutes worth of coding to include key mapping, but it doesn't harm the game much as this is not a game that requires 20 buttons to play. Each stance has three special abilities, and this is easily fixed by mapping the side and middle buttons of the mouse to "1,2, and 3". Problem solved. PC controls are simple: camera pans right and left with A and D, you walk forward/backward with W and S and your character fires at whatever your mouse is on when you click. Zoom in/out with Mouse wheel. There are times when you are firing at monsters off-screen using ranged characters, and I would have like to be able to zoom out a hair further. I cannot yet comment on the length of the game yet as I have not completed it, but I felt compelled to defend this game before completing it based on the amount of "i hatez this game. itz 0 cuz I hatedz the demo" reviews I saw here. Expand
  29. Jun 24, 2011
    I'm impressed by the graphics, there is something about the look that is really striking, and the gameplay challenge on hardcore is hard. PC controls are weird, sort of like old school keyboard flight sim, but you get used to them. Play the demo definitely, may not be to everyone's taste. I really like it.
  30. Jun 24, 2011
    As others have noted, I too am unclear as to why there is such an unmitigated flow of hatred for this title. Anyone rating this title lower than a 6 needs their head examined. For instance, a score of 3 would put it on par with the Wii's "Babysitting Mama" title. And fools are throwing 0's around, are you kidding me? Let's get it right, 0's are for completely broken and unplayable titles. The graphical polish alone makes this title deserving of a 4 -5. The controls are not completely broken, I don't know what that griping is all about, no it's not as point and click as Diablo, but... who said it was going to be? Use your keyboard and mouse and it's fine. There's a fairly deep character building system here. It's not just a talent tree that you put points into. There are multiple abilities that you unlock, once unlocked you can put points into them in one of two ways generally leaning the skill towards offense or defense. Abilities can be "mastered" allowing you to perform even more powerful versions of those abilities with different effects than normal. The pace, though generally a little slow, can get quite manic in large battles. The fact that you can't just click click click spam spells or attacks through combat is refreshing; you need to be a participant in battle in order to restore your focus (mana) and block attacks (so you don't get your ass beat) There is no potion quaffing here, the best you can do is your character's heal over time spell. I guess I can't really say anything that hasn't been said, check out Game Informer's review, it's pretty legit. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE HATERS, this title definitely belongs in the 7-8 range, which is what you'll see from nearly all professional critics. The title is solid, it's not broken, and while it doesn't do anything amazingly well, it doesn't do anything completely wrong either. There is room for improvement, but as it stands it's an enjoyably fun dungeon romp, especially with friends. Expand
  31. Jan 4, 2012
    I don't understand why people don't like this game. I personally found this game very entertaining. It had a very nice storyline that was easy to grasp, with easy gameplay mechanics. Sure, the game isn't a super open world type game but I sort of liked that, it kept you from mindlessly exploring and kept you focused on the story. I know this doesn't really work with most games, as I love to go exploring the world, but I felt it was properly placed in this game. The graphics are beautiful, and the level designs are quite basic with little puzzle solving involved. The characters have their own class types and personalities which help you connect better with the characters and itâ Expand
  32. Sep 10, 2013
    Excellent game. I picked the whole series up on Steam for seven bucks and played DS III first. Excellent. The reason this one slipped under my radar was the name. It looked like a mindless dungeon hack and slash. Not at all. It completely reminds me of Neverwinter Nights II. Lot's of character development. Fun plot. Lot's of secrets. Plenty of fighting. And it's not at all just a dungeon crawler. Forest, dessert, dungeon, everything. I wouldn't call it an "open" game, but there's definitely plenty to explore. I got 40 hours out of it too for those who feel the same as me for a "full" feeling.

I didn't bother reading the reviews for this due to the price, but I was disappointed to see such a low user score for this game. It's worth $20 with the dlc. I only hope DS 2 and 1 are as fun.
  33. Apr 14, 2012
    Just finished this game and DLC with someone else. This game has an really really good storyline, good voice acting for all of the quests, good look along with tons of items to loot. The most eye catching aspect about this game is that as you play this game you have to make choices that effect how the story plays out. Usually the choices have to do with someone's fate or what action should be taken. Combined with the voice acting this is very impressive. Over all a really good RPG game, looking forward to the other DLC that is sure to come for this game.

The only down sides is that it is not what I would call an open world and in multi-player the "3 legged race" feel with the camera takes getting used too. But if you ignore those two things this is a game that is worth you time. Fully say to anyone who likes the screen shots to get this game.
  34. Nov 20, 2013
    This isn't dungeon siege. It neither has the atmosphere, music nor the Dungeon Siege’s gameplay style. I’ve been waiting for 5 years only to be disappointed when I saw the trailer and gameplay videos of Dungeon Siege 3. “3” is a cursed number, I’ve witness a bunch of third-sequels come to fail, most notable examples are Diablo 3, Discipline 3, Fable 3, stronghold 3, etc.
    So why do I score
    this game 8? Few months ago, I purchased a triology of DS, DS 2 and DS 3 for a great price on Steam. So, although I don’t like DS 3, I lose nothing to try DS 3, and it turns out to be quite good.
    DS3 have a good story, music and gameplay. Although none of these things “feel” like Dungeon Siege series. But it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. The story and atmosphere have the feeling of Dragon Age: Origins, and some of your dialogue choice will have impact upon you. The music feels good, too. But its tone and feeling are different than DS 1&2. Combat feels like Fable, where you can dodge, block, and switch between two alternative attacking styles with different attacking skills for each style. Four classes with different skills, skill and healing systems are similar to Diablo 3. And there is no portal scrolls/spell/ gem (the only thing few like dungeon Siege 1). All these things are combined together quite good, thus, bring a unique feeling about the game.
    To conclude, Dungeon Siege 3 should not bear Dungeon Siege name. If you’re a die-hard fan of DS 1&2, you will be disappointed about the “way” of DS3, like me when DS3 first come out. It bears nearly no feeling of Dungeon Siege at all. But this game is actually a good game with good story, music and a tactical combat system. The trailer and gameplay videos provide a “wrong” disappointed feeling about this game. I encourage you to try the demo first.
  35. Mar 25, 2013
    Dungeon Siege III is a great game with top down 3rd person hack and slash action. Visuals are well done and really has a darker richer look to it than say, Torchlight. The Story was decent enough to have me interested and keep going but ended in a somewhat disappointing fashion. Although, the presentation was great, using a storybook type of slideshow telling of the choices I had made throughout the game. It would be great if I had more than one companion to follow me around but i guess its better than no one. The Game really is more geared towards using a controller to play as opposed to keyboard and mouse. Overall, it was a great game along with the DLC Treasures of the Sun. Expand
  36. Dec 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While Dungeon Siege 3 certainly is a departure from its hardcore RPG predecessors, it still has many redeeming features. The graphics and performance are fantastic; I never experienced any choppiness, glitches, or crashes. The music and sounds are also very well done; they sounded exceptionally rich and boomy on my Z906 speakers. It works well with Steam for the multiplayer features--that is, when Steam isn't having problems of its own. Finally, the characters and story weren't as trite as one might think given the general dumbing down of the gameplay; I actually found it quite engaging and relished in the chance to strike down Jeyne Kassynder at the end. But the game certainly has a number of problems and short-comings. I feel that the biggest of those is the interface and some of the gameplay mechanics. I almost gave up early on due to the difficulty of using spells (some spells require you to hold down three keys at once), camera restrictions (especially in co-op), and the general clumsiness of the whole interface. One can get used to these drawbacks, but it's never enjoyed. Also a big problem was the lack of character development options; the characters really have little room to deviate given the limited skill choices. And one thing that really just annoyed me was the non-standard item attributes that had no explanation; Doom sounds cool but that doesn't really tell you what it does. In summary, DS3 is definitely worth playing if you're hankering for a co-op RPG and have already played all the rest. But given the choice between DS3 and DS2, I'd suggest the latter first. Expand
  37. Jul 2, 2011
    Whilst not a bad game in it's own right, Dungeon Siege III has little in common with it's predecessors apart from title. The game plays more like The Guardian of Light minus the puzzles and teamwork, with Mass Effect's dialogue system mashed in and the Dungeon Siege label slapped on for good measure. There's little to no character and party customisation which was widely featured in the previous titles and while there are plenty of items, your character is basically restricted to preset armour and weapon types. Skill choices are limited; in fact you'll unlock all of the available skills for your character (9 total) roughly half-way through the game, though there is a bit of personalisation in this department with 2 separate talent sets per skill to pick between, along with a few passive talents for your character as well.

The game has few technical issues, the most outstanding being the abysmal PC controls. This is easily remedied with a game pad, however the fixed camera in multiplayer will leave you constantly fighting your co-op mates rather than, well...cooperating with them. Luckily this is less of an issue in single player, with a zoomed in third-person view also available that is unfortunately disabled in multiplayer.

Those going into the game with expectations that it would follow in the footsteps of it's predecessor will be left rightfully disappointed. However, Dungeon Siege III is a solid, if not simplistic, game; offering a fun single or multiplayer romp through the world of Ehb. Well, at least if you have a game pad.
  38. Jun 27, 2011
    Dungeon Seige 3 shares little in common with the previous 2 games in the series other than it's name and the fact that there are some dungeons that need sieging. This game is more of a hack and slash action game like Gauntlet Legends or Legends of Norrath. I'm finding the single player story enjoyable since I happen to own a PC gamepad. The Keyboard and Mouse controls are aweful and it seems like no one bothered to playtest how they worked. The online mode is terrible, with a top down shared camera that clutters the screen so much I often lose track of where my character is. The other downside is that you can't take your character into another person's game to earn loot and exp for yourself, playing online has you joining another person's story and you assuming control of one of the NPC players they have recruited, (and hope they choose some good skills). Expand
  39. Jul 4, 2011
    Dungeon Siege 3, although not a good as it's predecessors, is still a fun and enjoyable game to play. The arcade style controls makes it great for the console player, however, PC Gamers will not like the clunky, non configurable controls. Using a gamepad for the PC quickly solves the control issue, but some PC Gamers feel that this is a sin to do! The graphics on the game are better than any previous version. The loot system, as well as the inventory and item configuration leaves much to be desired. Constantly clicking on the right button (on the XBOX 360 controller for the PC) is a pain. There are some attributes gained from certain gear that needs some explanation also. Despite the flaws, Dungeon Siege 3 is an enjoyable game, but not a must have. Expand
  40. Jun 25, 2011
    This game has got to have the worst voice acting of any X-box game ever ...... on the plus side all those people who bad mouthed Dragon Age II will now realise what a great polished game it really was.
  41. Jun 21, 2011
    After the whole Dragon Age 2 debacle, I think Obsidian Entertainment might be bracing themselves for a fandom backlash, especially considering how much they changed Dungeon Siege III from its predecessors. While a solid game in its own right, I almost hesitate to call the game Dungeon Siege at all - essentially the only thing that has been retained in this third entry to this popular PC game franchise is the massive amounts of loot you'll find and the story lore. And frankly, the lore was one of the weaker aspects of the first two titles.

Dungeon Siege III is a third person action role-playing game developed by Obsidian Entertainment, a company practically known for taking over other people's game series. With titles such as KOTOR II, and Neverwinter Nights 2 (and corresponding expansions) under its belt, Obsidian has a reputation for making deep, engrossing sequels filled with interesting characters and topped off with intricate plots.

With Dungeon Siege, this fan-favorite developer has stepped outside of familiar territory; most of their games are pseudo turn-based RPGs - Dungeon Siege III is their first fully real-time action RPG. DS3 tries to combine fast-paced action with Obsidian's renowned storytelling and for the most part it succeeds. Operative words being "for the most part."

See my full review here: http://boredomsadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-dungeon-siege-iii.html
  42. May 19, 2012
    I'm new to Dungeon Siege so I don't know how this game is different from the old ones. But I find it entertaining, with a gamepad, this game gives Diablo-type feeling; Hack-and-slash style without using much brain power :D which I love it. But the skill system is not good enough, there are 9 skills for each character, but you will end up using one or two skills repeatably, which is boring sometimes. The plot is believable though a bit simple... Char parameters are confusing, I can't tell which is better between Attack and Will, but it seems to me that there is no difference on those parameters.. the rate you kill monsters seems similar for all combination. Expand
  43. Mar 11, 2012
    Seriously, all the hate? I loved DS II (cmon, the scope was epic) and know for sure this game isn¨t anything like it, but to give it anything below five is not objective. It NEVER crashes, period; skill usage and combat are smooth and all the mechanics function perfectly; music is decent and both the voice acting and graphic well above average. Of course, it helps if you realise straight away that it IS a console action game, and all the drawbacks are there: you need some time to adapt to the controls, and they never feel natural to a PC gamer; there is no pause button, and no potions - you need to dodge and block. I absolutely disagree on the customization issue: there is a VERY good chance to customize your character through gear stats, allowing you to focus on crits, overall damage, special stats, or survivability. Depending on theis, your preferred set of skills alter as well. However, abilities and type of gear are fixed to a character class (so that only warrior may use swords, and no other class may learn warrior's abilities - unlike classic Dungeon Siege). Overall, It's a decent console-ported action dungeon crawler. The gameplay has nothing to do with the "previous" DS games, so be warned. Also, the length is somewhat an issue - even with two playthroughs, it didn't take me longer than 20 hours. Expand
  44. Jul 1, 2012
    The game is good, but forgettable. If you have only this title, you will probably have fun. If you got other games like Mass Effect, Diablo III or Elder Scroll, you will probably getting distracted and leaving it behind for good. Even so, Its is fun. Problem is: a) it lasts just a few hours of fun and; b) does not worth 12.50 bucks (STEAM promotion pack - Id like to have paid even less).
  45. Mar 3, 2012
    Obsidian puts the RPG in Action RPG, however navigating your way through the world of Ehb in this iteration is a tad cumbersome. A fiddly interface, uninspired level design and ridiculously hard battles holds the game back.
  46. Apr 24, 2012
    I believe this game's biggest crime was naming it Dungeon Siege III. I found the game enjoyable as an action RPG-lite style game in a vein similar to the Overlord series, Dragon Age II, and perhaps Trine. Think Gauntlet and you'll be on the right track. Its a decent bit of cartoonish fantasy fun that works better with a gamepad than the traditional keyboard and mouse setup. The game features a dialogue/choice system similar to Bioware's. It's not quite as fleshed out, but not quite as pointless either. Decisions you make are neither good nor bad, just different, and will effect how things carry forth from the point they are made. With the excellent Treasure of the Sun DLC the entire game clocked in at 20 hours for the first play through including all but a few side quests. The previously mentioned choice system and four character classes lends the game a fair bit of potential replay value. I recommend giving this game a look the next time Steam puts it on sale. Expand
  47. Oct 2, 2012
    GOOD: +++ Pretty standard combat system, but was well explained. +++ Combat resources and empowered skills offered nice break from cool-down based systems. +++ Some boss fights near the end demanded some skill. +++ Story line was not too deep, but good enough to follow, if you just want hack-and-slash. +++ Quest tracking on demand let you go straight into action if you are not into wandering around.
    +++ Save points were plenty and did not allow you to backtrack too much.
    +++ Graphics was quite good and presented wide variety of landscapes and enemies.
    +++ Item comparison tab.
    +++ You can use your mouse AND WS AD to move your character (almost).

BAD:
    --- Many enemies were on the slow side and did not have ranged abilities.
    --- Controls were daunting to learn.
    --- Abilities offered no customization.
    --- Talents predictable and boring.
    --- Managing loot was boring because of slow menus.
  48. Jul 20, 2013
    This is the first Dungeon Siege game that I have played and I really did enjoy it. The story, graphics, fighting, and character customization were all well done. Unfortunately, for everything this game does right, you will only remember it for what it did wrong... the camera. This is hands down the most frustrating thing you will encounter outside of a few annoyingly difficult bosses. The camera angles tend to be almost directly overhead and always seem to rotate around to the worst viewpoint possible. Maybe the camera is only a co-op issue, but be warned. Expand
  49. Jun 25, 2011
    Having completed all three Dungeon Siege games, I can say that I like this one as much as DS2, but not as much as DS1. DS3 misses in a lot of places (controls being the primary), and as with Dragon Age 2, this game was not true to the original. This is not a dungeon crawler, since the maps have no areas to explore (everything is tied to being on a quest), and while this is a departure from the original series, the game makes for a decent action-adventure; not a great one, but a decent one. When the game is run on a gampad, everything makes sense, and the action is smooth and sometimes frantic. The camera for this game is lacking, two-views were not enough to take me to my happy place, and with the quality of the models in the game I really wish I could have zoomed in more. The fixed character development, smacked of action-adventure games, and it really didn't help me get engaged with my toon. Loot was REALLY random, at level 6 I found a high-level orange gun at a vendor, I was able to equip it, and I used it all the way to endgame...The stats we easily gleaned from the retail price of the gear, so I felt no need to level my toon since they could use anything they found or bought, and I no reason to look at any loot below the price what I had equipped. The story was fine, and the boss fights were entertaining at normal and hard levels. This game is not a blockbuster, just a title that was released, had little thought put to it as a "PC Title", but had no bugs. Let's hope a patch comes out that allows people to overcome the controller issues.

Now for a SLAMMMMMMM!!!
    I can definitely say I will be avoiding any game Obsidian makes in the future, they have a 'special ability' with sequels that makes my stomach turn, and are a big reason behind Bioware/EA not releasing KOTOR 3 on it's own...Obsidian effectively killed the series with KOTOR2. Obsidian is clearly not on par with great design companies like Gas Powered Games (pausing for a moment of silence), and Bioware. If you didn't like DS3, tell Obsidian with your pocketbook. ABOUT PORTS:
    Not all ports are bad, but all ports had game pads in their past. To everyone out there complaining about the controls, you should consider buying an XB360 wired controller for your PC, they worked great in this game...Let's face it folks, many games get ported from consoles, and the only way to play these games is via the game pad. Mouse and keyboards are afterthoughts. If you don't like this don't buy console ports, or multi-platform released games (ones that share the release date with PC and consoles), because you will always be disappointed.

...and finally about misguided ratings...
    As for this game's ratings on meta-critic, the yays and nays are so off target that they are going to be ignored. If you rated a 10, but said something negative about the game, you blew it; and a 9 rating would have been hard to justify. If you rated this game less than a 3, then you are WAY off base...if you want to see a game that REALLY deserves a 3 or less, then look to Tenchu: Dark Secret for the DS or Bethesda's original Terminator game for PC (gives me shivvers just thinking back to those days). When you've played 1000's of games to completion...then you can start giving out scores from 3 to 0 and know that you where right in doing so.
  50. Jun 24, 2011
    There isn't very much to say about this game. It's ok. It's not bad, but it doesn't do anything for the genre. But then, I don't think it really tries to.
  51. Jul 16, 2011
    A decent buy if you plan to play with a friend. The storyline isn't too fascinating and feels very cliche (in fantasy story terms). The combat starts off pretty bland, but when you start to level up and get your abilities, you start to have fun with the combat. Me and my friend have noted that Lucas talks at random times during our adventures and later found out that this game is suppose to be centered around him. I'm not entirely sure why they focused on more dialogue for him, but whatever the reason, this game is just another typical hack n slash rpg. If you decide to bring a friend, you can have little fun, but I don't think I can finish this game with my friend sadly. Expand
  52. Jun 27, 2011
    Do not fool yourselves, this is first and foremost a console game and has little relation to the previous titles which were alot more diverse and fun. However grab an xbox controller and there are a few hours of fun to be had in this sequel as long as you enjoy this type of games. This is not a full dollar game, I would wait for a significant price cut (
  53. Jun 30, 2011
    Dungeon Siege III is possibly worth a rent if you've already played all the classics in this genre and simply can't wait for the next Torchlight or Diablo, but that's about it... the game's not really meant for a single player; it's more for co-op or on-line... and the game's ridiculously linear, which is somewhat good because you can fast forward through all those agonizingly boring cut scenes and "just move forward" in the game to find your next quest... not really a lot of actual dungeons either... grinding isn't bad although with the character I played the standard boss fight strategy was a timed heal spell, attack, dodge, run away, repeat... graphics were decent and I used an Xbox360 controller (on my PC) which felt natural, although my character tended to waste time flourishing/finishing moves instead of dodging out of the way when I needed her to... there's no potions in this game either, so max out that healing spell ASAP... can I recommend DSIII? No, but it's not terrible. Expand
  54. Jun 22, 2011
    A less than fantastic sequel to a fantastic game. The art and music is impressive. The story is average, the camera is clumsy, the level design is linear and the combat is mediocre. It is quite a short game. It is playable, but not all that fun, especially for fans of the genre.
  55. Jul 28, 2011
    A game that could have delivered a lot more, but came out mediocre in all of it's aspects. First of all it is quite short. Took me 8 hours to beat it with all the side quests. Story is pretty straight forward, without any major twists and drama. Characters also don't have too much depth to them and game almost lacks any interaction between them. While there was an "influence" meter, it failed to attract my attention in any way because the whole point of having high influence was some abysmal buff and achievement. Combat is quite fast paced and fun even with a small selection of skills. Now the problem at this point was that with such a small amount of skills to choose from, it's really weird that only hardcore difficulty forces you to utilize each and every one of them. I've played on normal and probably used only half of the skills in the course of the game. Now that being like 9 skills in total, means i have only used 4-5 skills and only 2-3 extensively, and only on hardcore difficulty i found the need to use most of them. Graphics are quite decent though. Most of the time you will be too busy fighting to pay any attention to the scenery, but during short pauses between fights you can really see that characters and environment is quite detailed. Areas are quite small though and most places consist of some small "corridors", while open areas are far too few. Final fantasy 13 anyone? Good part is that there is quite a lot of areas and you don't have to revisit most of them. Now the real major problem with this game is that it is a pure console port. That being said the game is almost unplayable with standard PC controls. I had to use my PS3 pad in XBOX mode to be able to enjoy this game, which made me wonder, why have i bought it for PC at all. If you don't have any options in this part, i suggest not to bother at all with the game, since playing it on mouse and keyboard is agonizing. With all of the above being said i still find the game attractive enough for a second play through, which shows that while even being mediocre it still manages to deliver. I guess it's just sign of the times. Expand
  56. Oct 15, 2011
    It took a week with a horrible flue for me to give DS III one more chance. Given my previous low score I was not expecting much from this game. Turns out that was a good thing.
    Dungeon Siege III is typical fantasy tripe. Swords and mages; lots of enemies and loot. Buried somewhere beneath all of the hacking/slashing/blasting action is some semblance of a story, or so it seemed in the
    beginning. On the surface, however, DS III is just another action RPG. And that is not a good thing, since compared the genre at large, it does not stack up well against its modern brethren. .
    DS III lacks the shine and polish of other ARPG titles. Graphics are somewhat dated, and animations are stiff, clunk and repetitive in the extreme. Combat, a major feature of this game, is good but not great. And the camera...the camera is awful. Either a distant, top down view, or some hybrid of top down and almost-but-not-quite over the shoulder, the camera always leaves your eyes straining to see just a little further ahead despite its built-in limitations in this regard. Despite playing for more than 20 hours I never got used to that camera.
    As with Fallout: New Vegas the technical side of things is clearly not Obsidian's strength. Despite their having fixed numerous issues with DS III, some things simply cannot be improved. But what DS III lacks in technical superiority it makes up for in writing.
    See, it turns out there really is a story. Buried under all of that largely useless loot and repetitive hacking and slashing, are numerous choices. Do you save someone or let them die? Improve the lot of a major city or let it flounder? Negotiate new working contracts for downtrodden citizens or let them work as slaves? All of these choices have consequences, though most are only revealed in the ending video following the game's conclusion, making them immersive if somewhat arbitrary.
    And as for that ending...it's good, if you can stomach the truly terrible, JRPG style boss battle that serves as prelude to the ending. Shameless ripping both Final Fantasy and Glenn Cook's The Black Company novels at the same time - and making a predicable mess from the combination of the two - the ending boss battles are some of the worst I have seen since I swore off JRPG games because of, well, terrible boss battles like this one. This multi-stage, oh-it-got-away again frustration fest feels as if it will never end, and it goes from bad to worse at least three times. It is arbitrary, immersion-breaking and easily the worst thing about a not-very-good game to begin with.
    All in all DS III was worth the playthrough for me. I was sick, Skyrim wasn't out yet and I got DS III for free with a new gaming PC so the playthrough cost me nothing. I am glad I played it, but I would not do so again. The graphics are dated, animations outdated and stiff, there is too much useless loot (have we not tired of this yet) and the boss fights are truly awful for the most part. But underneath all of that there remains something endearing about this paragon of an era almost gone in terms of action RPG's.
    Get it if its extremely cheap and you are very into these sorts of games. Otherwise, pass on this one.
  57. Aug 19, 2011
    This is a game that was worth pre-ordering for the added bonus of the first two games in the series. Looking back at those, I personally believe this game is an improvement, as they've finally added a little RPG elements to the hack and slash carnage. However, I don't believe this game is a major enough improvement for today's capabilities. All in all, it's the kind of game that's quite fun to play once through and never touch again. Expand
  58. Dec 12, 2011
    this game is... ok. dont expect a dungeon siege game even it is called Dungeon Siege 3.
    Publisher would have done better if they had given this game a new name, because it has nothing to do with the old games.
    gameplay is ok, graphics are, story is ok
    but none is good or very good
  59. Nov 8, 2011
    Ive loved the dungeon siege series. The top view hack n slash with obsene amounts of loot flying all over the screen is pretty fun. The reason i give Dungeon Siege 3 a 6 is well, hmm. This game isnt really at all like DS 2 or 1 the combat i found was quite slow and kinda awkward. I found the camera was far to zoomed in and you didnt really get a full view of your surroundings. The voice overs were ok, the game length was ok, the characters were ok... nothing really special here, just a run of the mill adventure game with nothing really else to it. Im trying to think of something profound that makes this game special but theres really nothing... : / its about worth paying 15-20 bucks for, thats it *shrug* Expand
  60. Cuz
    May 23, 2012
    Wasn't a huge fan of Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 so I guess I wasn't let down too badly by this. I suggest playing with a controller even on the PC, controls just work better that way. Some of the boss battles were fun, woth a playthrough if you can buy it cheap off of a Steam sale.
  61. Sep 12, 2013
    I liked the game as a stand alone, and I would have liked it more if it actually could be played on the PC. I could only choose one of the four characters to effectively play, as ranged combat was the only option with a keyboard, or so it felt.

This is not a 1 or a 10. It is just another game.
  62. Feb 11, 2014
    While I disliked some things in the beginning, in the end the main things that were bad about it were the amount of item models, the amount(and diversity) of spells, and the amount of upgrades that let you build your character a certain way. The default controls were atrocious, but THEY HAVE KEYBINDINGS for a reason. I had no problem moving my character with WASD, attacking with my mouse. I made my healing spell R, which is real quick and easy. While there are a few minor things that Obsidian could have made better, those are the only things that bugged me after playing it twice. The storyline was pretty good (albeit predictable, but I never expect a complex GoT-like storyline from video games nowadays), the old fashion tale of revenge never gets old. The environments were great, the graphics were pretty decent, but just the way the environments were designed was what really made it pop. I thought the combat flowed smoothly, though it was a bit plain. Comparing the game to it's predecessors, it's a downgrade, but I thought the game was still pretty fun. I got quite a few hours of gameplay, as I have in all the other DS games, which was nice.
    If this game had the character customization and the diversity of spells (upgrades, etc) that were big in it's predecessors. this game would have been great. However, it doesn't :( It may not be as fun as the last two, but it's still fun!
  63. Jul 26, 2011
    No replayability. What would have been nice would be difficulty levels that required higher and higher levels and had increasingly better loot. This, to me, seems to be a requirements for hack n slash games these days. The stats are kinda boring and you're never sure what stat you should be focusing on. I generally equipped the most expensive piece of gear my character could wear. Now my biggest gripe: The controls for the PC are atrocious. Did they not look at diablo 2? I mean, c'mon Obsidian... You point and click on the ground and you move there... you point and click on an enemy and you attack them. How a game like this doesn't have this control scheme is mind boggling. Part of the problem of being a straight console port with no respect for PC gamers. Expand
  64. Jul 1, 2011
    Bland, forgettable, generic: this is DS3. Ironically, on paper DS3 sounds good: nice combat, nice graphics, lots of loot, and a story with choices. In reality, the combat is clunky. Worst PC controls EVAR, no joke. The loot and inventory system is tedious. The story is hilarious in how seriously it takes itself...too bad nobody else takes it seriously. But at least the graphics are nice, hah. Truth is Diablo 2, Titan's Quest, and Torchlight all do everything better. DS3 is just a throw-away game. A real shame too...it could have been something special. Expand
  65. Oct 10, 2011
    if this game is not dungeon siege, it's actually OK. Despite the awkward control on PC, I found it actually quite enjoyable to play through. The story is well done and the closure which gives you a summary for the choices made in the game is satisfying. The combat is a standard hack & slash plus more actions oriented elements. Most RPG elements have been significantly reduced in scope, at least when compared to first two dungeon siege games. There are really only a small handful of active skills to select and a very limited variety in items/drops. while the game is fun in its own unique way, the simplistic nature of the game warrants it only in a mediocre title. Expand
  66. Sep 16, 2011
    I played the demo and that was enough. Honestly, the story didn't seem bad and the graphics looked nice. The downside has been said before: this is a console port. An OBVIOUS port. It's as if they didn't change anything for the PC. The result is an interface that is poor. And not just the fighting controls which are horrible but the rest of the interface is buried under too many clicks. This is not the first RPG ever done by Obsidian but it sure feels like it; I don't know what they were thinking. It's sad because I actually wanted to like this game. But I won't be buying it. Expand
  67. Jun 23, 2011
    The story is short, you can beat the game twice within a week, and the multiplay is broken, you cant use your customized characters to join others games, and your characters can "destroy" by others if you host game, coz your partner can fully customize your characters that you are not in control at the time. But the combat system is great, we have played point and click system for lots of years and now we have to try something new. Expand
  68. May 28, 2013
    I think there is some potential here for this to be a good game but I just couldn't make it past the controls. Every step of the way it felt like I was battling the camera and more often than not it would be the cause of my death. When I really think about it, I think the camera control in this game is the worst out of any game I've ever played. Definitely try the demo out first if you're thinking of getting this. Expand
  69. Dec 2, 2012
    Looks and feels like a indie game bought it at a very low price, couldn't even be bothered to finish it. Such boring frustrating simplistic game play why did they bother making this at all?
  70. Jul 19, 2011
    Sad it had to end this way Dungeon Siege. Such a shame the long awaited Dungeon Siege 3 was developed by another company into some stupid ass simple console RPG. After the many hours I spent playing Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, this game is extremely disappointing. But, we all saw it coming with a company like Obsidian plus console release. Oh well, RIP Dungeon Siege.
  71. Koo
    Mar 24, 2012
    I bought this game on Steam pre-order and was looking forward to playing it. The original Dungeon Siege (which was included with my purchase of Dungeon Siege III) was a decent game. The graphics are looking a little dated in DS1 (it was released in 2002) but the storyline was decent, the enemies and environments varied, and there are plenty of interesting weapons and items. NONE of this is true in Dungeon Siege III. The storline is sub-B Movie quality, the enemies are largely cloned, and weapons and items are the biggest letdowns. "Powerful staff" "Magic charms" etc. are the childlike names given to weapons and items in the game. No effort was given to imagination or creativity in this department. The levels themselves are similarly bad. Completely linear, just follow the track, no side explorations possible. The one upside to Dungeon Siege III are the graphics. They're spectacular. Dynamic, beautifully saturated, and candy for the eyes. Graphics, however, don't make the game fun - just easy to look at. This game is lousy, and nice graphics are no substitute for shoddy storytelling, level design, and overall gameplay. A disappointment. 4/10 Expand
  72. Jan 27, 2012
    Being a huge fan of Dungeon Siege, I was really anticipating DS3, after playing it I must say that I am disappointed to say the least, I am quite glad it was a gift and I did not waste my own money on it. On it's own, it's not a bad game, that's why I gave it a 4 and not a lower rating, but its NOT Dungeon Siege in any respect. Yet another fantastic PC game title falls victim to the onslaught of cheap inferior console development. The game is about as "linear" as a game can get, nothing like DS, or even DS2. For a console game, by any other name, it would not be all that bad, not all that good, but not bad. However it's not by any other name, it was Dungeon Siege, and if you came here looking for that series, I am sorry to say, you're not going to find it here. Expand
  73. Jun 24, 2011
    THE GOOD: Switching stances to execute different attacks is a good idea. The graphics, while not being outstanding, are well polished. The sound design is pretty good. THE BAD: Boring loot table, a leveling system that is not engaging at all. THE UGLY: The controls are horrible on the PC, but that wouldn't be so bad if we could remap key bindings. But we can't. What the hell?

Side Rant:
    One of the fun things about dungeon crawlers is finding cool loot, not only items that do cool things but look cool. I can barely tell that I'm wearing different armor or weapons, and I have a suspicion that most of the armor models are identical. Look at Torchlight as a good example of loot done well. Expand
  74. Aug 17, 2011
    This garbage makes me actually want to play DA2. The controls in this game are pretty mediocre, I understand that it's ported from console, but come on they could have just used the standard over the top rpg controls... It gets even worse in coop with a shared screen betalween all party members, I honestly fail to see the logic behind that move. The gameplay was actually alright, even kind of fun on certain fights... although the game got progressively easier, I played on the highest difficulty and the only time I died was to a miniboss that you encounter about 30 minutes into the game. Unfortunately everything else was terrible, it had horrible voice acting, you honestly could have taken 5 people off the streets and they could have done a better job. Granted they didn't have much to work with as the story and writing is absolute garbage. They tried to make some kind of Mass Effect dialogue wheel, but there's pretty much 1 choice in the game that will probably have a minute effect on the expansion or dlcs. Sadly this game would have been better if they just removed all the dialogue and plot and just stuck a massive arrow over your characters head which directed you through the game. I'm not fond of giving red scores to games with a budget, but this crap legitimately deserved it, it would suck even if it was from some unknown indie developer. Expand
  75. Jun 23, 2011
    Pure rubbish, it is so much like Fable - the look, the feel, the similar combat styles, the green experience orbs etc. The developers tried to combine a top down view with fable combat. The reason why no one has done this before is because they know IT DOESN'T WORK! The combat feels clunky and the controls aren't great at all. I'm a lefty and as far as the demo tells, there is no way to change your controls at all. And yeah the graphics are nice but the characters are damn plain and near emotionless. I entered a village in the demo and most of the npc villagers were just standing around doing f*** all, not even trying to act like real people. The leveling up system feels unessesarily complicated and the loot, I swear that all of the loot is the same! I expected to be able to pick up the guns and swords from slain enemies but you cant! You're locked into the class that you pick. And from what the demo has shown, you have no control over your companion/s whatsoever. I also couldnt find a way to heal my character. As far as i could tell there were no health potions or anything (if there is then the game didnt tell me), and so i just kept runnning into massive amounts of foes button mashing everywhere. But because combat is so bad and fast, you have no time to use tactics and so i found myself killed over ten times during the demo ending boss fight. Now because it was the demo i just kept respawning where i died, but it had me thinking "Well how the hell am i suppposed to do this fight properly in the real game?". Overall this is just ridiculous. I expected to be able to click on an enemy to attack him, but instead i have to rotate in his general direction and constantly click without aiming (not helped by the terrible lock on system). A top down view with this combat DOES NOT WORK! Its no fun and the loot feels boring. Nothing like its previous games. Expand
  76. Jun 22, 2011
    This game has nothing to elevate it above average and to top it all off the control scheme is terrible. The customization is very limited. You only get 9 usable abilities for a character. The loot you find barely changes your character's appearance at all which is basically a bad design decision and flat out laziness in a loot based game. And a playthrough is about 8 hours long.

It's just
    a mindless and poor game. Do yourself a favor and play Titan Quest or Torchlight instead while you wait for Diablo 3. Expand
  77. Jun 22, 2011
    This game has nothing to do with DS series. Only good thing about the game is the gameplay graphics. Dialog and cinematic graphics are horrible. Voice acting is bad and story is not engaging at all, feel free to skip through all the dialogs, you won't miss a thing. Party is limited to 2 characters and there are only 4 characters to choose from. Combat is boring and repetitive, there are almost no side quests and the quests you do are always conveniently put on your path making this game the most linear RPG I've ever played. Also RPG elements like character development are almost non-existent, as there are more levels than options so you'll eventually pickup everything your choice is limited to the order you take them. I didn't try multiplayer that aspect might be fun but otherwise I'd skip this game. Expand
  78. Jun 21, 2011
    The controls are inexcusably bad on PC. With games like Diablo, Torchlight and TQ around to demonstrate an easy, functioning industry standard, that's inexcusable. The game is also short with no replayability on harder difficulties to further advance a character, another aRPG standard that was left completely out. Lack of the ability to play and develop your own character in co-op multiplayer on other people's games is another failure. Overall, while the story isn't bad and the game looks pretty, there are major glaring flaws that even Torchlight at 1/5 the cost managed to do right. The obvious focus on the console gaming market hamstrung the game and the resulting awkward, incomplete aRPG is a short, frustrating experience that does a great disservice to both its predecessors and the genre in general. Expand
  79. Jun 22, 2011
    I'm not sure why they even bothered porting this to the PC. It has all the limitations of the console with none of the advantages of the PC. No choice, no customization, TERRIBLE camera positioning and control. It barely avoids completely linear progression. Completely unforgivable. Yet another franchise destroyed by the console business model.
  80. Jun 25, 2011
    There are 2 problems with this game: 1) it's called "dungeon siege 3" and 2) the keyboard/mouse and camera controls are awful. It's really designed to be played with a game pad on a console, and it loses a lot of the fun elements of the first 2 games such as running a large party, finding exciting loot and tweaking out your character as you level, and the UI for managing your character and inventory and shopping is much more awkward. Taken for what it is its a fun console hack and slash, but they really changed too much of the formula that made the previous 2 games fun for me. Expand
  81. Jul 22, 2011
    The graphics aren't too bad, and the game feels fairly polished and smooth, but with a very dull story and shallow combat mechanics it fails to keep you entertained. The camera is also excruciating to use and will ruin the game for many.
  82. Aug 28, 2011
    I will say up front that I just couldn't bring myself to play this one very much. It was basically not that fun, interesting or compelling. It didn't even strike me as connected to the original in any meaningful way. I think I put more hours into the original Dungeon Seige this week than I did the new one. That one is still mostly fun.
  83. Jun 5, 2012
    Simply not fun. I love action RPGs, and I picked this game up for crazy cheap, but when I was on my way to the Heroes Crypt (I'm going to assume it's halfway), I realized that I was simply not having fun. I guess the combination of repetitive enemies, boring click-fest combat, bad voice acting, horrible engine optimization, and HORRENDOUS controls are enough to ruin this game. I'm all for getting my money's worth out of things, but I'm not going to force myself to play something that isn't fun out of some misguided sense of duty. Before you buy this game, play through the demo and ask yourself "is it worth it?" and then play through the demo 5 more times and ask "is it still worth it?" Expand
  84. Jun 6, 2012
    Having played the predecessors, DS III was highly disappointing but I suppose its expected from a developer who never worked on the original title. I admit I may not have given this game a chance but this is what happens when your expectations have been set so high in a previous title.
  85. Mar 25, 2012
    This game is terrible, but what makes it so damn tragic is that it could have been awesome. All the crucial elements are there - great graphics, talent trees, two prequels full of lore and atmosphere, and a ridiculous amount of loot - but in the end, you're just mashing the same two buttons over and over again regardless of what's on the screen. There's no strategy, no peril, and no variation - just those same two buttons. Over. And. Over. If you're looking for RPG fun, reinstall the first Dungeon Siege - but avoid this title at all costs. Expand
  86. Jan 6, 2014
    Definitely a disgrace to his epic predecessors. Limited skills, weak story, somewhat challenging environments, few items, confusing interface. Dungeon Siege I and II are better!

Dungeon Siege III is a offence to fans of this serie. Total waste of time.
  87. Jun 21, 2011
    To be honest. I could give it 6 or 7, IF it's not called "Dungeon Siege 3" and misleading people about the "Dungeon Crawler Game". As a "Hack&Slash" "Action-RPG", it has decent Gameplay. But it has NOTHING to do with "Dungeon Crawler" ; it Lacked EVERY SINGLE Element to be a Dungeon Crawler Game. It lacked the variant of loots ; totally pointless to do Online Co-op with others ; and ultimately, it has NO replayability expect you want start with a new character ; Not to mention, WITHOUT skipping Cutscenes, it still has only 12~15 Hours Gameplay. Which is not accessable as a Full Price ARPG in my opinion. Even the D&D Daggerdale ; a Buggy & Bored Dungeon Crawler Game, can do better on it's length, and that's not a full price game. Too Bad this game called "Dungeon Siege 3" with "Dungeon Crawler" advertised that doesn't exist in game, just because their miserable Marketing. Expand
  88. Jan 19, 2013
    Environments and graphics looks nice, everything runs smooth, no crashes etc. However the game mechanics is a bad joke, it makes DS3 feel cheap, dull voice acting and terrible cut scenes aswell.
  89. Jul 16, 2011
    I wish developers would stop regurgitating the RPG "formula". This game lacks in all areas that count. The truth is, players already have their favorite RPGs. The only way you can love this game is you're a relatively new gamer to the genre and it's your first experience. If you've every played an RPG before, you've played this one and your former experience was probably better.

As if
    the table above doesnâ Expand
  90. Jun 21, 2011
    For a series known for their RPG, there really isn't much RPG'ing going on. The story is bland. I mean, really really bland. When you have a linear storyline, games such as Diablo or even the Witcher series, make sure the script isn't written by some 6th grader between lunch breaks. Dungeon Siege III's storyline makes me feel like I'm being treated like a 12 year old.

Character
    customization isn't there. You get a selection of pre-defined roles but the customization to make you feel like this is YOUR character, isn't there. For a linear storyline, the quests are supposed to be challenging, with various ways of doing it but reaching the same goal. For a non-linear storyline, your decisions affect your next decision and in turn have consequences.

I'm not sure exactly what Dungeon Siege 3's storyline is supposed to be. It's just bad.

The graphic which I'm sure looks great on TV for a console, looks outdated and to be honest, trashy on a high end PC.

The acting and voice acting of NPC's? Oh please. I think I'd have more fun watching Bristol Palin on Dancing with the Stars.

All in all this is a terrible game coming from such a great series. I had such expectations and I was just floored with sadness that I actually spend $50 bucks on this piece of trash.
  91. Jun 21, 2011
    For anyone hoping for a true Dungeon Siege sequel, turn around now and walk away. This game is definitely not it. The DS series has, up to this point, been characterized by almost infinite character customization and fun storylines that don't take themselves to seriously (I want my goblin flamethrower!), with great multiplayer and simple click-fest combat. This game has none of that. The graphics are decent, not great. That's about the only really good thing I can say. The controls are horrible, character customization is for all intents and purposes nonexistent, combat controls are iffy at best. The storyline is old. Multiplayer doesn't really let you bring your own character into a game. Oh, and speaking of multiplayer, if you needed proof that this is just a bad port of a mediocre console game, when you try to find a multiplayer game, the prompt for Player 2 to press Start to join is still there. Using the Xbox Start icon. REALLY OBSIDIAN? Expand
  92. Jun 21, 2011
    Not sure what game the people on the left column are playing, but it must not be dungeon siege 3. The best thing I can say about this game is that it's pretty, which is why it gets a 3. Voice acting is **** storyline is poorly delivered, boring and very skippable, controls are clunky at best and the multiplayer is really frustrating. With better controls and thought out multiplayer this could be a decent game to tool around in with your friends. I don't really see why anyone would want to single player this though Expand
  93. Jun 21, 2011
    Oh dear... I should have looked at the warning signs before I brought it for full price. Released on the console and PC at the same time and Squire Enix being involved being the biggest ones. Firstly the controls aren't configurable thank you so much consoles for that so the change stances button which is Q and your first power which is 1 are right next to each other. You will be pressing both of those keys a lot and I keep pressing the wrong one again and again. The controls in general feel clunky and not fluid at all not helping of course by the camera. As the one ranged character you get I found myself firing off the screen at where I hoped the enemy was because I just couldn't zoom out enough to see. The atmosphere just isn't there for me compared to the first two games which was the one thing I hoped they would move over. This is just trading off of the name with some mention of lore now and again to try and link them to rest of the series. I am just hoping we get to a tipping point soon where us customers just have enough of bad games with bad game play that are made just to make money rather then for the love of it. Give us back the fun and we will actually want to pay for it. Expand
  94. Jun 21, 2011
    I feel mislead! The box promised a PC version of Dungeon Siege 3 and instead I got a console port (terrible controls, mystifying camera view, and randomly spaced save game spots) of an RPG Lite (very lite!) game. I even checked reviews before I got it but then realized they were for the Xbox 360 version and NOT the PC version. PRO: good graphics, ok story, and no bugs on my system
    CON:
    controls & camera are so bad the game play is not fun. No in-game save without going to specified spots. Not a PC RPG (i.e. Dungeon Siege 1 or 2) but rather just a console button masher with RPG graphics. I am so disappointed as this could have been fun with more focus on the PC platform. Expand
  95. Jun 22, 2011
    This game missed its goal for me. After a few minutes of playing and clunking around the screen, I figured out that the saying still goes : If it's not meant for PC alone, don't touch it! Even on a PS3 I wouldn't bother with it, bland and regular at best all around. Sad example of how publicity hypes a product for its appearance,not its content.
  96. Jun 22, 2011
    I'm at a loss to start. The manual is devoid of important information. The abilities screen is not intuative. Abilities aren't clearly sorted. The should be sorted based on the stance name, not 1, 2 or 3 in a left to right fashion, the way people read... I think this game would be much more enjoyable as a melee character. For some reason I choose the hunter... as a hunter you cannot aim. Instead you have to look in the general direction and fire away. The computer AI chooses your target for you. You find yourself shooting the furtherest mob instead of the one pounding on you. This leads to substancial frustration, especially in boss fights like "the dapper gent", where you have to target mobs and structures. For some reason, you have to USE the e key to pick up drops. A complete nuisance to the game that serves no purpose as your inventory doesn't seem to have any limit restrictions. The loot in this game is horrible. I can't stress that enough, there's little varibility to it, you'll collect 6 or 7 of the same weapon over and over again. You can vender it for coin. The venders do offer a few pieces that look good, but there's a problem. The vendors don't distunguish between what your character can and cannot use. You can buy an awesome looking chest peice but never be able to equip it, because it wasn't intended for your class. The save game function is all console game... you have to find the location and save the game. If frustration is a lot of fun to you, then this game delivers 100%. If you want to have RPG fun, then pick up Witcher 2 or Dragon Age / Dragon Age 2, those games are much more rewarding for the same or cheaper price tag. Expand
  97. Jun 22, 2011
    I guess I can start by reiterating what so many others have said here and that this game might have scored better had it not called itself Dungeon Siege III. Having played both of the previous DS games, I bought this one sight unseen. My mistake, I know. Controls are bad, co-op shares a common screen (even when playing on different systems) and game play is nothing like the first two. Using the name of a known series to push a completely different game just strikes me wrong. Will patches bring up the playability? I hope so, but I have my doubts. Expand
  98. Sep 30, 2011
    Everything about the games visuals and gameplay are fairly good. But, the one thing that really irritated me is the limited amount of character customizations. RPGs in essence are really all about creating your own hero. The premade characters that your stuck with are nice and okay, but if you really dont feel an attachment to the character your playing in a RPG so then you really start not to care about playing the game. I think the games entire concept is outdated and belongs in 2006-07. Expand
  99. Jun 24, 2011
    I see several reviews stating that the game has potential...potential is something that the demo should show. The game itself should deliver. If you based your vote on "potential" on a final product and not what it delivers, please don't have children as that kind of stupidity is bad for the rest of the planet. You wouldn't rate a steak dinner that was horrible a "10" if "the beef had potential." The controls are horrible and Obsidian knew this. They knew before the game was supposed to launch and deliberately disabled the key binding ability because there was a bug in it. So instead of fixing the problem, they rushed an unfinished product out the door to get it out on time. The only positive from buying this game is its one less company I have to consider for a quality product. I played it for about an hour after I bought it through Steam. I already uninstalled it. Nice waste of $50! Expand
  100. Jun 25, 2011
    Terrifying, and not in the "the graphics are pretty amazing" way although they are at a level acceptable by todays standards. The game unfortunately falls short in all other areas. The storyline is predictable, cut scenes look horrible. The fighting engine is completely useless on PC (which stinks of a straight console port), the platform where the game originated and found its roots.
  101. Jun 21, 2011
    Uff, so much rage. Well here it goes:

1. Oct 26, 2011
    One of the biggest differences in this game is that you exert a lot of control over your main character.
  2. Aug 30, 2011
    Ultimately, Dungeon Siege III is an easy-to-play popcorn journey into the classic action-RPG genre, hitting every checkbox. There is little innovation here, but it offers plenty of examples of how good design and development practices can make a derivative game enjoyable - and how a pretty severely console-designed game can be adjusted to feel largely right on a PC.
    Don't be discouraged by the slow and dumb beginning of the game – you'll be rewarded by many hours of fun. Strong story and cooperative multiplayer are more than worth your attention. [Issue#207]