6.7

1. Jun 19, 2013
    Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara is a side scrolling, beat em up arcade port of one of the most classic 90's arcade games around. Think 'Streets of Rage' with Dungeons and Dragons and some very, very lite RPG elements and you have Chronicles of Mystara in a nut shell.

Don't get me wrong, back in the day, this game was fun, I had a blast playing it and it's one of the games in my MAME arcade archive I have in the arcade cabinet I built. If you are a fan of classic arcade games you simply can't go wrong.

With that being said, I find it hard to bring myself to pay their steep price of $15.00 for a game nearly two decades old (and showing it). Besides some tacked on features, you aren't getting anything more. Apparently the developer couldn't even be bothered to add full screen support, HD support or remaster the games graphics. Anything the game doesn't cover is filled in with some tacked on art work, which just makes the game look bad. There are some half-hearted attempts to add in some video filters, but it doesn't look very well. Quite frankly it looks better on the MAME emulator.

Does anyone else remember TMNT: Turtles in Time Reshelled? It was a arcade port of the classic Turtles in Time arcade game, but had two modes on it, classic and "HD" where all of the graphics had been re-mastered in 3D HD character models and texures and it cost roughly the same Chronicles of Mystara does on STEAM.

So what do you get for $15.00 then? A emulated version of Chronicles of Mystara with online support tacked on, which you can already get for free from the dozens of online emulator and rom websites. If the developers cared at all about selling this title, they would have put fourth more effort.
  2. Jun 25, 2013
    Not bad, pretty much like a remember it. One of the deeper side scrollers for its day, especially in the arcade. Still looks beautiful, great for nostalgia.
  3. Jul 1, 2013
    Recommended only for nostalgia-chasers or side-scroller fanatics; Golden Axe meets Dungeons & Dragons, lots of fun with 2 or more players. Suddenly, it's 20 years ago again.

1. Jul 8, 2013
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Jul 2, 2013
    I had never played these games before, and it's possible that those darn kids we all hear about these days might not enjoy the decidedly retro gameplay and so-bad-it's-good translation. On the other hand, if you've got an eye for classics that have aged better than fine wine and been given the premium porting treatment, I see no way you could go wrong picking this one up.
  3. Jul 2, 2013
    Chronicles of Mystara is a must-have for any fan of the original arcade releases, or D&D fans in general. However, the charm of this package is going to be lost on anyone who wasn’t already sold on these games in the past.