• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Feb 28, 2006
7.0

1. Greg
    Jul 20, 2006
    excellent game, if your looking for an action roleplaying game, many varied adventures in dungeons, forests, caverns, temples, pirate ships, crypts, etc. Like regular D&D, when you start out you have to be resourceful to survive, and you will no doubt need to find fellow adventureres to survive, however after you develop a bit, you'll be able to go off on your own if you like. I have excellent game, if your looking for an action roleplaying game, many varied adventures in dungeons, forests, caverns, temples, pirate ships, crypts, etc. Like regular D&D, when you start out you have to be resourceful to survive, and you will no doubt need to find fellow adventureres to survive, however after you develop a bit, you'll be able to go off on your own if you like. I have never had a problem finding a group, whether it was going off with one other adventurer, or a whole party of 6. This is an action roleplaying game with very well designed quests, terrifying monsters, and deadly traps. The action is fast, and you will have to be resourceful if you want to survive. From the originators of the genre, they know how to make a game, and it hits the mark. This is not to be confused with other games claiming to be roleplaying games, i.e. you won't be "going out the front gate to kill small animals to lvl up". From the onset you will swept up in amazing storylines from the originators of the genre. highly recommended. Expand
  2. WalterMoore
    May 18, 2008
    This game has more than doubled in content since launch, and just keeps gettign better and better. Best combat system around (well, haven't tried AoC yet), instanced quests and explorer zones, and still more or less real D&D.

New content needs to come faster, but it's coming.. Mod 7 in June? and level 20 by the end of the year... D&D levels being more or less the equivalent of five WoW-style levels..
  3. Aug 8, 2011
    This mmo is... different. You start out with a custom character, there's a ton of unique things and a ton of unique players. It's very refreshing, and with a good role play guild it's simply amazing. Also, there are many ways to customize the graphics, allowing it to look nice on even low-end systems, and look great on high-end ones. (for an mmo, of course it can't compare to Black Ops inThis mmo is... different. You start out with a custom character, there's a ton of unique things and a ton of unique players. It's very refreshing, and with a good role play guild it's simply amazing. Also, there are many ways to customize the graphics, allowing it to look nice on even low-end systems, and look great on high-end ones. (for an mmo, of course it can't compare to Black Ops in graphics) Expand
  4. Feb 22, 2013
    I'm relatively new to the MMO world, but I've been playing RPGs since I was a young kid. So this is coming purely from an RPG fan perspective. That being said, I am really enjoying it so far. I got lucky and have a few friends who joined up around the same time, and got invited into a guild fairly quickly, so I've had no problem finding people to do quests with.

The combat is very fun

The combat is very fun and the leveling system is very faithful to D&D while making the necessary tweaks to make it more fun on a PC. The community has been very helpful so far. Most of the negative reviews seem to be early in the game's F2P days, and from what I've read and discerned from talking to other players, the game has evolved a great deal since the early days.

I'm not a graphics fiend, but I found the graphics to be acceptable, and the game runs great (30ish FPS outdoors, 50+ indoors) on my relatively low-end rig with a bit of tweaking, without looking like crap.

I'm really enjoying this so far, about a week after signing up. I recommend doing some research into classes before signing up, or if you don't want to got that route, don't dual class with your first character.

Overall a fun experience so far.
  5. Mar 31, 2012
    Since it's gone f2p this is the best f2p out there without a doubt- whenever I'm not playing a p2p or a console game, this is my fallback. The sheer variety of quests and goals in this game will blow you away- this isn't a 'grind 50 goretusks' game, every quest has its own story, enemies, bosses, traps and unique feel. This is one mmo that truly doesn't feel like any other.
  6. JustinF.
    Apr 20, 2006
    Many of the features you find in other MMOs are not present in this game. That is a selling point, however. Lack of PVP, player driven economy, player housing, and so on keep the number of kiddies to a minimum. Other features minimize children playing - integrated voice chat shys parents away from kids playing and the lack of "uber loot" helps too. Kids playing this game simply do not Many of the features you find in other MMOs are not present in this game. That is a selling point, however. Lack of PVP, player driven economy, player housing, and so on keep the number of kiddies to a minimum. Other features minimize children playing - integrated voice chat shys parents away from kids playing and the lack of "uber loot" helps too. Kids playing this game simply do not "get it" and quit. Rarely do you see a kid above lvl 6 or so. It is not like other PNP though. There are some silly builds that produce great results, most of the skills have pathetic effects, but it is great fun. Collapse
  7. Blaine
    Mar 24, 2006
    Highly recommended for D & D fans. It's nice to actually build a character at first level, with strengths and weaknesses rather than having a near clone to other first level characters and then having the strength of your character entirely dependent on hours of mindless grinding and item finding. A thinking-person's MMO despite what the critics say about twitch gaming (imagine Highly recommended for D & D fans. It's nice to actually build a character at first level, with strengths and weaknesses rather than having a near clone to other first level characters and then having the strength of your character entirely dependent on hours of mindless grinding and item finding. A thinking-person's MMO despite what the critics say about twitch gaming (imagine spacial and tactical rather than FPS-style twitch). Playing and leveling are fun and does not seem tedious. My only complaint is the community does not seem as friendly or helpful as some other MMOs I've played (alternatively it is not littered with juveniles mucking up general chat with spam though). Also, as with any MMO, I truly believe they should be free of charge after initial purchase. Expand
  8. Toadmoss
    May 6, 2006
    Great game with room to grow.
    Jun 25, 2006
    very good gameplay, problem lies in the low amount of players and because of this difficulties in fast groupfinding - best you have friends to join and itll be great - try out the trial to see!
  10. OlivierD.
    Jun 7, 2008
    It's really sad this game got so bad reviews when it launched, because it's so awesome. Definitely very different from typical MMOs though, since PvP is extremely limited and crafting is only at its early stages (it should be implemented at a larger scale by the end of 2008). But the quests in DDO are the best you can find, the combat & magic is incredibly fun, and the D&DIt's really sad this game got so bad reviews when it launched, because it's so awesome. Definitely very different from typical MMOs though, since PvP is extremely limited and crafting is only at its early stages (it should be implemented at a larger scale by the end of 2008). But the quests in DDO are the best you can find, the combat & magic is incredibly fun, and the D&D character building rules allow you to create characters with great depth and originality. New contents is also constantly being added, with new races, classes, levels and fun quests. Highly recommended! Expand
  11. ScottShubin
    Dec 26, 2005
    DDO will not appeal to everyone, and that in itself appeals to me. If you played a lot of DnD, you will love this. If not, you are probably better off sticking to WoW or EQ2. DDO has no PvP and no grinding for exp, however it is the closest adaptation to DnD 3.5 rules that I have seen. Combat is more interactive than just selecting your enemy and pushing the kill button. Here you haveDDO will not appeal to everyone, and that in itself appeals to me. If you played a lot of DnD, you will love this. If not, you are probably better off sticking to WoW or EQ2. DDO has no PvP and no grinding for exp, however it is the closest adaptation to DnD 3.5 rules that I have seen. Combat is more interactive than just selecting your enemy and pushing the kill button. Here you have to dodge, tumble, block, swing, etc. and none of it is automated. I would not go so far as to call it a twitch game, but you definitely have to be awake to play it. I give it a 10 becase they are just about as close to pen-and-paper DnD as you can be. However, if I had never played DnD before i would give it an 8 or so. Expand
  12. DoubleDown
    Mar 13, 2006
    Fun. If you like people. If your nickname is Rambo and you like playing solo then you'll have about 5 missions you can try before you're stuck depending on what type of character you have. Graphics are solid but not spectacular (mine are on high, but about as good as Morrowind yet smoother), sound is good at creating a spooky atmosphere and the occasional dungeon master's Fun. If you like people. If your nickname is Rambo and you like playing solo then you'll have about 5 missions you can try before you're stuck depending on what type of character you have. Graphics are solid but not spectacular (mine are on high, but about as good as Morrowind yet smoother), sound is good at creating a spooky atmosphere and the occasional dungeon master's voice helps create an even more moody feel. Character creation is A+ and you can create 5 different types. If you have friends playing, make sure you all create your character in the same world at the start so someone joining later doesn't have to create a level 1 character while everyone else is level 4. The REAL TIME combat is pretty good, but the camera will screw you if you get backed into a wall, making it hard to see who you are fighting. The adventures themselves are outstanding...not perfect, but entertaining. They are all instanced so you will not see any other players except your group on the quest. The real key to this game is who you play this with. Just like the pen and paper version: People too serious and people too silly aren't much fun but I haven't found a whole lot of them. Jerks are far and few probably because the game limits their impact. The game is all about teamwork and if you get some light hearted and fun people to play with who are doing their best to win the mission, then you'll really like this game. A suggestion is those looking for a good group should post on the forum at DD online. The nice thing is this game can be played once in a while and not be a time consuming grind. I'd say this game is for someone a little more mature, since a 12 year old kid playing WOW all the time now playing DDO with 30 year old people will probably not understand the need for teamwork, but who knows everyone is different. A group of 12 year olds are going to love this game if they play together. The game's negatives are that it is not a free roaming world to explore. It's about hanging out with everyone in the separate parts of the city and then going into the dungeons with your group below the city...believe me it's still fun. The way to form groups could of been a little better organized. it would of been nice to have a cheat sheet that when you examined someone it said: your experince playing DD, your level of seriousness, your time commitment, type of players you are looking for, and a rating from other groups on how much fun you were to play with (this would help keep some people in line and avoid wasting time with jerks). If you are a solo player then do not buy this game...go pick up Oblivian. If you like playing games with people then this will be fun. Expand
  13. ScottS.
    Mar 14, 2006
    About as good a translation of the DnD experience as I've seen online yet. BEST for a regular gaming group who meets at certain times during the week, and definately a better way to DnD with your friends online than Neverwinter Nights was. (Don't get me wrong, that was a great game...just not as DnD as it was hyped to be).
  14. JoeU.
    Mar 15, 2006
    I think it's a lot of fun, kind of like BF2 meets the dungeon crawl. If you want an exact copy of tabletop gaming, this isn't it. If you want another EQ MMO copy, this isn't it. Like any multiplayer game, the quality of your experience is in large part determined by the quality of the people you play with.
  15. Apr 24, 2014
    This game has the closest interpretation of the Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 tabletop rules of any game. This leads to one of the greatest things about the game: it isn't balanced. You could build your character to be a badass, or you could build your character to suck. Its not going to stop you from doing either one. Using the system you can design your character to be quite unique andThis game has the closest interpretation of the Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 tabletop rules of any game. This leads to one of the greatest things about the game: it isn't balanced. You could build your character to be a badass, or you could build your character to suck. Its not going to stop you from doing either one. Using the system you can design your character to be quite unique and specialized. You could make a rogue is really strong, or really dexterous, or one that is really smart and has a mountain of high level skills to be able to handle any task. Its really up to you. The downside of this is for some people is that to really be good at this game you need to learn the rules of Dungeons and Dragons. Also, you really should have a good idea what you're going to do with your character before you create it, and that could be frustrating for some people who are new to the game.

Like most of the Free-to-play MMOs out there, you can play this game completely for free, but it is a million times better if you're a subscriber. The free-to-play setup they use disables selling items on the auction house, the shared bank, and the majority of playable content over level 4 (there are 28 levels) and limited character slots. It also disallows free-to-play players from playing through content on a higher difficulty the first time through and there is a cap on the amount of money you can hold.

With an active subscription you can sell items on the auction house and use your shared bank, collect mountains of gold and access all of the content. While this may sound like a lot of restrictions on free-to-play players, one should keep in mind that there are ways that it isn't as restrictive as certain other games where they don't let free-to-play players even whisper or hand an item to another player. This means that if you log in for free then you can give the game a good try before you decide to spend any money.

As another reviewer mentioned, you could spend $1500+ on this game and still have things left over to buy. On the other hand, for $15/month you get the majority of that unlocked for you, which is a much better deal.

I got to level 9 with a few characters, so I can't say much about the end game. I can say that this game is a lot better when you have a friend or guild to play with.

1. It is a great game, matching in spirit the pen and paper version.
  2. It hits on almost every front. Present are the adventure elements of high fantasy, the mysterious magical elements of the war-torn world of Eberron, and the deep-rooted numerical elements.
  3. Sure, there are flaws and the lack of any soloing capability, the occasional difficulty in finding groups, as well as the apparent slowness of levelling get irritating, but they're nothing in the face of what it does properly.