Dustforce PC

7.8

1. Oct 1, 2012
    Very well done game, but it's not for everyone. Controls felt awkward for me, with gamepad and keyboard either. Too difficult to waste my time with.
  2. Apr 22, 2013
    The game is incredibly difficult, have I known that I probably wouldn't have purchased the game. For people that are really good at plat formers I'm sure this will be a fun and enjoyable game, and completing a level leaves you feeling very accomplished since the game is pretty difficult. I love the concept, everything is really smooth and fun but it's overall just a really hard game andThe game is incredibly difficult, have I known that I probably wouldn't have purchased the game. For people that are really good at plat formers I'm sure this will be a fun and enjoyable game, and completing a level leaves you feeling very accomplished since the game is pretty difficult. I love the concept, everything is really smooth and fun but it's overall just a really hard game and leaves me at least pretty frustrated.. Expand
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    I picked up Dustforce some time ago in a Humble Bundle, and I've been looking forward to playing it when I had a chance. Since I recently finished KOTOR (I know, I'm a slow gamer), I got a Wiimote out, paired it with my computer, set the controls, and started playing.

The mechanics of the game are very fun. I enjoy bouncing off the walls, running along the ceiling, and sweeping my way through the air. The visuals are pleasing and the music isn't annoying. Unfortunately, Hitbox messed up the stuff that makes me want to actually play it.

The introductory video gives you the impression that four janitorial heroes with unique abilities will be battling the nefarious deeds of four filth-loving antagonists. Nothing of the sort. There is no story-based progression and the four characters differ only in their aesthetics. The only reason to play this game is for the challenge of completing everything. If you're into that sort of thing, great, but that's not for me.

Now, I've only sampled about five different levels, but so far, the level design does not make me crave more. For a game that stresses moving smoothly from one dust-covered surface to the next, the levels are decidedly blocky, angular, and sometimes non-linear. Classic Sonic the Hedgehog had better flow than these levels.

I think I've been spoiled by games like Braid, Cave Story, Limbo, Rochard, and even VVVVVV. I expect my platformers to have some story, by glob! Over all, I'm disappointed in Dustforce.
  4. Jun 30, 2014
    Music and graphics are nice but this game does not fit me. Especially while playing with controller. However, if you like platformers, you may give a try.
  5. Jan 24, 2015
    I never thought I'd see the day where I wanted to play a game that revolved around cleaning up dust particles, but nevertheless, here we are. They say never judge a book by it's cover. Well, never judge a video game by it's screenshots. For this game appeared to have it all, but managed to fall short. Let me start out by saying that I loved the art style though, along with the soundtrack.I never thought I'd see the day where I wanted to play a game that revolved around cleaning up dust particles, but nevertheless, here we are. They say never judge a book by it's cover. Well, never judge a video game by it's screenshots. For this game appeared to have it all, but managed to fall short. Let me start out by saying that I loved the art style though, along with the soundtrack. In fact, the soundtrack is probably the best part about 'Dustforce' and is exactly what you want in a platformer. As for the controls, they are nowhere near as bad as some of the people on here make them out to be, and personally I found them to be quite good. The only thing that stinks is how they make you assign the controller buttons yourself, as opposed to just having them preset for you. I wouldn't even dream of using a keyboard to play this game.

As you may already know, this game was made with speedrunning in mind. Speedrunning is something I enjoy watching, but not performing, and had I known that beforehand, I would have skipped this game entirely. I mean, who makes a game specifically tailored for speedruns? Getting to the end of a level as quickly as possible? Where's the fun in that? No, I like to take my time, look around, really take in my surroundings. And besides, isn't the whole fun in speedrunning, coming up with the fastest method on your own? It just doesn't make much sense if you ask me. Aside from that, there's pretty much nothing else to do in this game but run from door to door playing level after level for the best time. No bosses, no enemies, just jumping from one platform to another, climbing wall after wall, sweeping up that dirty dust.

There just doesn't feel like much of a reason to continue playing 'Dustforce' after an hour or two, unless you care about posting the highest scores for all to see. Which is basically where 99% of the incentive to continue playing comes from; the highest possible score. On the other hand, I can definitely see how people enjoy playing this game. Like I said, the soundtrack is great, the art style although simplistic, works quite well, and the controls are pretty good.

1. Apr 17, 2012
    Dustforce is tough as nails, but also very rewarding. [Apr 2012]
  2. Mar 23, 2012
    A thoroughly enjoyable, hardcore platforming challenge to tackle. [Apr 2012, p.120]
  3. Mar 14, 2012