7.3

1. Oct 12, 2013
    I have withdrawn my support from this game. I have over 400 hours in this game. I have had many wonderful communications with the developers, and I rarely have seen such customer support or heart. The game is beautiful and despite its "repetitiveness" I can't stop playing. It is beautiful and challenging in a way I almost never see in other similar games, even the Civ series. However,I have withdrawn my support from this game. I have over 400 hours in this game. I have had many wonderful communications with the developers, and I rarely have seen such customer support or heart. The game is beautiful and despite its "repetitiveness" I can't stop playing. It is beautiful and challenging in a way I almost never see in other similar games, even the Civ series. However, I cannot finish the campaign properly because my Shard just freezes and crashes. Over and over again, it has been one thing or another. And, finally, I have reached my limit.

This game has had more bugs than any other game I ever have played COMBINED. Given my penchant for Bethesda games, that says a lot. It saddens me very deeply to write this. I know the devs, will say, no wait, send us your save game, we will try and fix it, but it's too late. I'm sick and tired of this. I have enough frustration in my life without constantly fighting this game and acting as a Beta Tester. I do appreciate their help and their personal support. For that I will be forever grateful. But for now, I am too tired in the real world to deal with needless issues in this virtual one. In six months, perhaps I will give the game another try, but for now I must recommend people stay away from this radioactive rubble. Sorry.
  2. Apr 20, 2013
    This game was released unfinished. There's considerable debate as to why, whether they were rushing to beat Fallen Enchantress and HoMM VI expansions, whether Steam made them do it, etc. But the game suffers immensely for it. Buyer Beware.

Graphically the game does look good, however, extremely poorly coded and/or optimized, and FPS is all over the place even though there are few instances, if any, in the game that should cause a modern video card to take notice. The UI is decent, though it could have been much better than it is, and in many ways it feels like a step back from Genesis.

Content wise, a large amount of content was taken from Genesis. This game is NOT a sequel, it would be more accurate to call it a conversion of Genesis to 3D. In that regard, $20 seems extremely overpriced for this title. The game has considerable bugs that, while they didn't keep me from playing the game, they also were quite annoying, and would probably give a first time player quite a lot of grief. Multiplayer is also absent for some reason.

My advice is to avoid this game until they fix it. The developers have given mixed signals as to whether that's going to happen or not, so only time will tell.
  3. May 21, 2014
    I never do this but please do not waste money on this game. The original (eador:genesis) has no bugs and the exact same gameplay and storyline without the graphical polish. Eador:Masters is worse in every way compared to the original. I picked it up on a steam sale after the latest round of patches and still encountering game stopping bugs nearly every 10-20 turns. I guess that's whyI never do this but please do not waste money on this game. The original (eador:genesis) has no bugs and the exact same gameplay and storyline without the graphical polish. Eador:Masters is worse in every way compared to the original. I picked it up on a steam sale after the latest round of patches and still encountering game stopping bugs nearly every 10-20 turns. I guess that's why they included save games in this iteration. It's just unfortunate because I do enjoy it but hate trying only to be disappointed by bugs. I'm rating below 5 not only because of bugs, but because almost nothing new was added to this version or done to relieve the repetitive gameplay Expand
  4. Apr 30, 2014
    This game looks like it has potential, but an unintuitive menu system and some very aggravating bugs make it fall short. I wish I hadn't spent the $5 it cost to buy this on sale :(
  5. Jun 17, 2014
    Eador has some very nice features and the potential to be a really great game, but it is just so slow to play and so lacking in variety after a while, that it ends up being less fun to play than games like Heroes of Might and Magic, which it is a kind of offshoot of.

First the good things about Eador. There are effectively 12 different hero types in the game. The basic three are mage, warrior and scout, but each type can choose to remain its own class on reaching level 10 or choose from 3 alternative sub-classes, which include hybrid classes that also have their own unique abilities which they get at levels 10 and 20.

Second your heroes can not only conquer provinces and fight enemy heroes, but also explore provinces they control, finding locations with neutral creatures and warbands who they can fight for experience, treasure and loot. There are a wide variety of creature types and magical and non magical items which they can get this way.

Third there is quite a large variety of unit types you can recruit, including non-human ones if you get alliances with other races through quests, or if you get spells to raise undead or demons or magical constructs like golems or gargoyles.

Unfortunately the game is very slow. This is first because groups of neutral creatures that you have to fight to conquer neutral provinces become stronger and stronger the further from your capital province you get, meaning you have to build up a lot of hero experience, items and units before you can even get to fight the AI controlled enemy heroes and armies - and they similarly can't get to you quickly.

Second it's because buildings cost too much gold to build - and you need too many buildings to build each new building - with the total cost of building tier three buildings being so huge it'll usually take over 100 turns, while to get the highest tier buildings takes hundreds.

Third it's because while getting the buildings and money to recruit units is very expensive you can also get province guards in the game. This in itself is not a bad idea. The player and the AI can recruit province guards - at the most basic militia with pitch forks - to defend their provinces. The problem is that you (and the AI) can recruit and pay ridiculously strong province guards sometimes for a small fraction of the costs of recruiting and paying an army with the same units. This means that as soon as you get to a large 'shard' (basically map) the last or last two AI players have often recruited one of these overpowered, under-price province guards to defend their capital - and you then simply cannot defeat it without getting a third, or sometimes top, tier mage guild and third or top tier units too. And this means hundreds of turns of exploring and levelling and gold gathering to finish the map.

If you like exploring and building up a bit to let the AI get stronger heroes and armies before fighting it this becomes ten times worse as the AI will then have powerful province guards in every single province by the time you fight it. This reduces the speed of the game to even more of a crawl.

Building up to fight neutrals and province guards is simply dull compared to fighting enemy armies - and mind-numbingly slow with it.

Now for the lack of variety. There are various AI enemies - 'masters' - who each have their own portrait, appearance and nature. Some are supposedly lords of the undead who hate and wish to destroy all living things. Others are human demigods. Others are demons - and so on. Some are good, some evil, some neutral. So far, so good.

Unfortunately every single one of them recruits exactly the same unit and province guard types - mostly humans - and use the same spells too. The demon lord rarely if ever has a single demon (unless by random chance that he got a summon demon scroll as a drop). The undead master just has humans and doesn't summon undead any more frequently than any other master does. Good alignment wizard masters recruit evil province guards - and their heroes summon undead and demons as much as evil masters' heroes do.

The only difference with the demon master is that he can sometimes get an 'Army of Chaos' province guard of demons. So when he tells you his demon hordes are coming for you it's pretty underwhelming when its actually some humans almost identical to your own army. Ditto for the dragon master.

So fighting each AI enemy is much the same as fighting every other one, destroying the atmosphere and reducing variety.

After playing a lot of both Eador and Heroes VI, Heroes VI is better paced, more exciting and offers more variety. It's a lot more fun struggling to defeat enemy heroes and armies in Heroes than grinding away at earning enough gold to be able to beat a province guard in Eador.
  6. Sep 11, 2014
    This is a great game ... if only it worked. The turn-based strategy is deep and engaging, and I found myself with a strong "one more turn" reflex. The campaign is long and immersive, and despite some interface clunkiness, it's visually appealing. The resource scarcity makes you think very carefully about every move, every build, and every combat. You really feel the loss of any unit.This is a great game ... if only it worked. The turn-based strategy is deep and engaging, and I found myself with a strong "one more turn" reflex. The campaign is long and immersive, and despite some interface clunkiness, it's visually appealing. The resource scarcity makes you think very carefully about every move, every build, and every combat. You really feel the loss of any unit.

Now for the bad news: the fatal glitches in the game have made it unplayable for me, with a variety of crashes occurring on average every three turns. And the more I play into the campaign, the more frequent the crashes seem to be. I've given up playing for now, and am frustrated by the total lack of response to bug postings on the Snowbird Forum. I don't expect perfection from a small indie developer, but I do expect some stability, especially so long after initial release. If this was a working game, I'd give it an 8 or 9. As it is, don't buy it...
  7. Apr 21, 2013
    Disappointing. This is just Eador: Genesis with a new 3D graphic, everything else stayed the same. The graphic itself is nice, but the game works choppy, new interface is messy and unresponsive, and unlike in the Genesis the turns on larger maps with many opponents take FOREVER for AI to finish.
    Make yourself a HUGE favor and go buy Eador:Genesis instead it is exactly the same game same concept, same mechanics, same units/spells/heroes etc. just less expensive and with the old school 2d-sprite graphics.
  8. Apr 20, 2013
    Nice idea, but very buggy. I had to force quit and restart from autosaves 3 times in the first hour because the game would get stuck during fights or wouldn't let me click "next turn". It's got some nice design ideas, but it isn't a finished game. Check back to see if the devs actually complete the game before buying.
  9. May 2, 2013
    As echoed not just in these reviews, but on the games main forum, this is a game that was rushed out the door. The why does not matter so much as the result.

A game in which the computer can take territories from you which you can't retake because your armies get stuck in a loop "Traveling to" that territory. A game in which you use a mind control spell which permanently replaces

A game in which you use a mind control spell which permanently replaces your hero with a worthless unit that now crashes in each battle. A change you would not realize until you enter into main battle with this hero which depending on how many heroes and battles you encounter in-between could mean hours worth of play lost.

A game in which you are plagued by hero.warrior.name3 texts, a broken morality system which does not account for your supposed important morality decisions, hero quests with no ending, random events that kill your hero on accident, and a myriad of other hair-pulling bugs.

Plain and simply a frustrating punishment devised to look entertaining only to continuously let you down despite every attempt to like it.

If you are some sort of sheeple capable of green-rating a "game" for which you just paid $20 or more to be let down, you are the reason EA and these other jokers can charge people for day 1 DLC. To rate this game above a 5 (at most) is to simply admit that you have the self-esteem of a pile of steaming crap.

Perhaps in comparison with the other recently released game of which we are now paying $60 for (or $80 for that lovely extra day 1 DLC), you may say this game was a 6 or 7. But if you are a gamer that remembers the reason for playing game -which is to have fun- then you will find significantly better games out there than this one for the same price or cheaper. The game, as it is, deserves a glorious 3 in my humble opinon. Maybe in a few months, when the game SHOULD have been released, that score could be upped to a 4 or 5. But nothing more.

The story is not compelling enough, characters not interesting enough, game mechanics broken and unbalanced, game play repetitive but required to advance in story, questing broken, flavor text broken, spells broken, units broken. It is a Broken World, as the game states.
    I can hear the game makers laughing now at their own oh so clever pun right now.

Maybe they will release the expansion soon. Eador: Pay Us To Fix This World.
    Every green rating on here will hand their money over with a smile on their face.
  10. May 5, 2013
    Utterly disappointing.

I was so excited when I picked up this game as a rather enthusiastic fan of HoMM. The turn based RPG genre is a genre I enjoy very much and this had looked like the game I had been waiting for. Sadly I was horrible mistaken. Eador: Masters of the Broken World is a completely unpolished, CPU hogging, buggy unplayable mess. This game has no concept of unit
    Utterly disappointing.

Eador: Masters of the Broken World is a completely unpolished, CPU hogging, buggy unplayable mess. This game has no concept of unit balance or difficulty scaling. The game plays slowly, painfully slow. Sometimes turns could last over 5-6 minutes when playing games against a small cohort of AI enemy players. The music and sound effects are glitchy and spotty sometimes playing during the proper animations and sometimes no music or sound happens at all. To make matters even worse, the interface....oh sweet Buddha the interface is awful. To crawl through this games interface is like trying to traverse a swamp in a wheel chair that has one wheel already jammed and refuses to roll along. It's hideously bad.

The turn based tactical combat is extremely annoying. Range units dominate the battle and leaves very little room for melee builds due to their extremely slow movement pace. Want to win every battle ever? Spam crossbowman and a few sword units and you will win almost every battle against the AI. The in-game economy is hard to understand and muddled by the horrific interface. And worst of all the interface lags sometimes for no reason what so ever!

It's disgusting that the developers released this game in it's current state. It's clearly not ready. I felt as if the entire time I played through this game I was playing a beta version. This is not and should not be considered a final release (even though they have patched the damn thing already several times!).

The only place where this game belongs is in my garbage can.
  11. Jul 14, 2013
    The game suffers from many bugs, they've also managed to rip off "Warlock master of the arcane" quit nicely without any law suits. The idea of having multiple islands is good, but overall there isn't much originality. They also ban all negative reviews from steam.

As I say to any company that bans negative reviews in public places... DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The mere fact that they ban negative reviews instead of coming back and saying that they improved the game merely shows that they only care about making money from it.
  12. Apr 21, 2013
    Didn't like it. The graphics is quite nice (but not fantastic), but pooooorly optimized and the game works very very slow. Slower than Starcraft 2 and Bioshock Infinite.

The user interface is very complex, The gameplay is very boring. Just click "explore" and fight with random monsters. The battle animations are very slow too (even on max speed). In general, the game seems to be

The user interface is very complex,

In general, the game seems to be buggy and unfinished.
  13. Apr 27, 2013
    Pretty, but broken game. Eador had the look of a good turn based title, a genre I'm a fan of as an old timer. Unfortunately, its looks are better than its game play. Its equipment interface is clunky, its tutorial vague and unhelpful, its combat difficulty prompts wholly inaccurate. It is unnecessarily plodding in its conquest, making the player skip turn after turn to get their armyPretty, but broken game. Eador had the look of a good turn based title, a genre I'm a fan of as an old timer. Unfortunately, its looks are better than its game play. Its equipment interface is clunky, its tutorial vague and unhelpful, its combat difficulty prompts wholly inaccurate. It is unnecessarily plodding in its conquest, making the player skip turn after turn to get their army anywhere. Don't get me started on its sieges. They are sieges... long, drawn out affairs where nothing much happens. Stability wise, haven't seen the problems some folks have mentioned, but game wise, I'm simply not having fun. For a TBS game to not have hooked me in the first several hours of play is not a good sign. If Steam offered a refund, I'd take them up on it. Expand
  14. Apr 30, 2013
    I just could not get into the game, The graphics look really good in the game but there are some bugs like when ending your turn it take forever for the AI to do its turn and. combat just seemed really boring to they could have done better with that. Theirs lots of thing they could have done better with in this game manly the combat. P.S Multiplayer is not working last time i tryed.
  15. Apr 27, 2013
    It is remake of Eador:Genesis.
    Gameplay is truly awesome.
    But quality of game sucks. It is full of bugs. You can't turn in some quests, game frequently crashes and freezes. Do not buy it until they make it playable.
  16. Apr 26, 2013
    Quite badly bugged. Slows down (this is with 4x 4.6 Ghz Processor, SSD hard drive, 16 gigs of RAM and GFX Titan GFX card) The game is no where near as deep as they would have think, the logic is quite poor and it crashes from time to time. $4.99 it might be ok, but for $20, there are far better games about. FE and HOMMVI (and a host of other games) are all better, and can be had for theQuite badly bugged. Slows down (this is with 4x 4.6 Ghz Processor, SSD hard drive, 16 gigs of RAM and GFX Titan GFX card) The game is no where near as deep as they would have think, the logic is quite poor and it crashes from time to time. $4.99 it might be ok, but for $20, there are far better games about. FE and HOMMVI (and a host of other games) are all better, and can be had for the same price or less if you hunt or wait a little. Expand
  17. Apr 15, 2014
    Boring, buggy, unbalanced, and slow as hell. This game can be summed up with one word, tedious. So much to click on for so little effect. Watching paint dry is more interesting.
  18. Jan 19, 2015
    Grinding and repetitive game play, plenty of mechanics destined to slow down the pace - units recover one health point per turn, you may build one building all over your empire per turn, cost of new units is preposterous, maintenance cost doesn't allow you to have units healing while you fight with fresh units.
    No glitches but slowdowns at every single mouse click.
    Do you want to suffer
    No glitches but slowdowns at every single mouse click.
    Do you want to suffer ? This game is made for you.
  19. Apr 17, 2015
    couldn't finish the game ,, very slow turn , cheating AI , you have to conquer shards to unlock buildings , the core story don't make sense and uninteresting , very repetitive ,,, i liked it the fist 3 hours ,, then just fell out of it ,,, won't recommend it to anyone
  20. May 21, 2017
    All saved games spontaneously corrupted after the first 2 hours of play. I've never had this happen to me before in 30 years of PC gaming.

It's a shame, because I think I could have gotten into it too, but if it's this buggy of a mess, nope.

1. Oct 8, 2013
    A good strategic RPG, with some pretty ideas, but it lacks a clear interface and some design choices undermine the final result.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    Eador: Masters of the Broken World combines features from several fantasy games into one very nice package. [Sept 2013]
  3. Jun 27, 2013
    Eador: Masters of the Broken World has a lot going for it, but it buries a lot of its strong points under layers of monotony and frustration. It is a tough, but not impossible, game to recommend. If you are a hard core PC turn-based strategy junkie, your options or rather limited.