East India Company PC

5.7

1. Jun 26, 2013
    My experience with this game was being somewhat positive, until the problems started to show up. To begin with, the tutorials should be more complete, there're many details that aren't mentioned and you have to learn through trial and error. I can live with that, after all, whoever lived in the 80's knows what is to bear the fact that there wasn't such thing besides the manuals. In theMy experience with this game was being somewhat positive, until the problems started to show up. To begin with, the tutorials should be more complete, there're many details that aren't mentioned and you have to learn through trial and error. I can live with that, after all, whoever lived in the 80's knows what is to bear the fact that there wasn't such thing besides the manuals. In the beggining it's easy to administrate things but after a while you realize that the game simply begs for tools that could help with some micromanagement tasks, after all, it won't take long until you have to control several fleets. Even THAT is tolerable. The biggest problem with this game are the frequent crashes, that brings the game down even if it's fully updated. They usually happen after you win a battle and is eager to loot the goods, which is something that brings frustration in double. Overall, I noticed that it's the kind of game that breaks your legs once you're reaching the top of the curve of satisfaction. I bought it with good discount but I really don't recommend to anyone. Expand
  2. ?ukasz
    Aug 14, 2009
    Reviews in here don't do justice to this excellent game. After three patches almost all the annoyances the game is getting bad rep for are gone and what remains is sheer pleasure of managing a trading empire on strategic level with breaks for enjoyable and wonderfully looking tactical level battles. This is the kind of a game you can't stop playing.
  3. LysanderS
    Dec 9, 2009
    A disappointment to say the least. Could have been some very fun combat and trading, but this is offset by terrible interfaces, horrible controls, huge amounts of micro-management when in battle, sickening camera controls, daft AI, and a huge amount of bugs. There's still fun to be had, but not much of a lasting appeal.
  4. DanielC
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not the best game in the world, but not the worst. It is a decent trading game. Although its treatment of trade, intercompany politics, and sailing is rather simple. Entertaining but not for to long. Wait untill it is a bargin bin game to buy if you feel so inclined.
  5. Hammerfest
    Aug 6, 2009
    Don't bother buying this, the game lacks excitement of any kind. Even the supposedly high-end naval combat becomes little more than tedium after a few minutes.
  6. ryang
    Aug 8, 2009
    Pretty cool in single player but the fact that two patches have come out within 4 days of the release date are a tell - tell sign of what Paradox had in mind. Also, you can't even contact them for customer support, its not an option. I have the latest patch and with my firewall turned off can't see the multi-player menu. A waste of $10 if you ask me, let alone the $40 that I Pretty cool in single player but the fact that two patches have come out within 4 days of the release date are a tell - tell sign of what Paradox had in mind. Also, you can't even contact them for customer support, its not an option. I have the latest patch and with my firewall turned off can't see the multi-player menu. A waste of $10 if you ask me, let alone the $40 that I spent : mad. Expand
  7. RickiN
    Jan 17, 2010
    this game is a joke really boring and the campaign map looks really crappy they havent put any effort in making some good graphic. DONT buy this buy empire total war instead
  8. J.J
    Aug 1, 2009
    This game could have been great. It's a great concept and the art is beautiful. They had the funding and the assets. The game designers dropped the ball and you wind up with a disappointment instead of the classic it could have been. For example, tactical battles are where the fun should be in this game, but when you get into tactical battle mode, there is no time scale slider, you This game could have been great. It's a great concept and the art is beautiful. They had the funding and the assets. The game designers dropped the ball and you wind up with a disappointment instead of the classic it could have been. For example, tactical battles are where the fun should be in this game, but when you get into tactical battle mode, there is no time scale slider, you spend 20-30 minutes chasing ships across boring stretches of water, just trying to catch them. Painfully slow. And then there's the "multiplayer". There's all this rich beautiful world with pirates and trading and diplomacy, and all they offer for "multiplayer" is tactical mode deathmatch where you spend hours chasing each other across boring stretches of ocean until someone gets tired of it and stops so that the other player can sink him. That's it. No co-op campaign, no multiplayer competitive campaign, nothing resembling the potential that could have been delivered. Disappointment. Expand
  9. jonw
    Jan 2, 2010
    was good at start but slowed down too much and crashed was lucky to get a 2
  10. ChrisR
    Oct 26, 2009
    Looked to have promise but never materialized. Simple start but never quite gelled into a complete game. Wait for the bargin bin before trying.
  11. Mad
    Aug 6, 2009
    Useless wate of money, don't even bother to buy it. Poor graphics, slow gameplay and sluggish cammera made me nearly throw up.
  12. BenP.
    Aug 2, 2009
    The most glaring problem with the game (the loading screen before the port screen) was addressed in a patch on the same day it was released, so at this point, its rating should be even higher.
  13. TRoyS.
    Aug 2, 2009
    I can't even get the game to start. I get a message, "The game is currently not available. Please try again Later". Same BS I get everytime I purchase a game from Steam. Do not purchase this online. way to many bugs and issues.
  14. KelseyG
    Aug 7, 2009
    Great Game. Similar to Civilization but more action oriented. Great Replayability. I've been addicted ever since I bought this.
  15. LeonardoBianco
    Sep 12, 2009
    I dont know why are you giving this note for a great game! I think the user that gave it a note bellow 7 must do not know how to play it! I trully get addicted since I get this game. One of the best Economy- Strategy games I've played since Anno 1404 Dawn of Discovery!
  16. mattn
    Oct 28, 2009
    Quite dissapointing. I play and enjoy empire total war and read somewhere that the naval battles in East Inda were better. This is completely false. The graphics arent great, no realistic damage, poor interface, relatively small fleets and variety of ships. The only thing that this game has that etw might be lacking is the effect of waves and weather conditions on your ships movement and Quite dissapointing. I play and enjoy empire total war and read somewhere that the naval battles in East Inda were better. This is completely false. The graphics arent great, no realistic damage, poor interface, relatively small fleets and variety of ships. The only thing that this game has that etw might be lacking is the effect of waves and weather conditions on your ships movement and stability. Also the ability for each ship to carry specific cargo. That being said the economic side of this game seems midly interesting if you have the patience to play long enough to get into it. This game is much more an economic and trade sim than anything else. And even with that it offers a low amount of excitement and replayability Expand
  17. BobP
    Sep 12, 2009
    This game is marketed with the strong suggestion that it has a multiplayer campaign mode, when in fact all you can do in multiplayer is tactical ship battles (which are the most un-fun thing ever insterted into a PC game). Further, the game is buggy as hell, requires constant patching, and isn't any fun when it's working. What a collossal waste of bandwidth.
  18. RasmusL
    Sep 17, 2009
    Poorest game i've ever played you just trade the Resource that is worth the most it never loose value and its boring, Naval Combat is not even close to any of the previous Naval combat games. if you like trading Port Royal is way better and graphics not that fare away from this. If the date didnt say 2009 i would have believed 1999 was the Year of release for this game
  19. Sep 17, 2015
    The trading part of this game was actually pretty solid. The overhead view of Europe and Africa, as you built trade ships and sent them across the sea.

The game just feels like it's half-done. I felt like more time could have spent with the sea battles. I played Total War: Empire, and their sea battles are nearly the same, and that's one small area of that game. Another thing I

Another thing I was disappointed with is the fact fleets can only carry 5 ships. Why? It kind of ruins the experience of the battles, so many great naval battles of that era were fought with dozens of ships.

5/10+

In the end, East India Company is a game that manages to merge effectively its twin themes of trading and naval combat. Unfortunately its also a game that is plagued with several important interface issues that make the game more frustrating and tedious than it really should be.
  2. East India Company offers everything it promises - an enthralling experience of power, greed and sunken ships.
    Players who are interested in the concept or the period will definitely find a worthwhile game here but the appeal wears thin long before it should have.