7.6

1. Sep 9, 2011
    Fun Game. The music was very good, and didn't get annoying after failing heaps of times. But then again, the levels in this game aren't that hard. They are challenging, yes, but not frustratingly difficult, and this game has the perfect level of difficulty. However, for hardcore platformer super alien robots, this game would be a complete waste of time and would get boring after a while. One thing I disliked the most in this game was the unlocking system. I understand that the developers of this game wanted to make it so that you understand how to use the controls and learn how to complete levels properly before progressing. That part I understand. But after you make it through Level 45, it prompts you to collect all 'prisms' (in-game collectible cubes that can be frustrating to find) to progress to the last three levels. And because of how much effort was needed to collect all of them, I thought that the last levels would be of a higher level of difficulty. I was extremely disappointed. The last levels were even easier than some of the levels that came before them. Although I am typing a long block of negativity, but don't get me wrong. THIS IS NOT A BAD GAME. The price is just right (keeping in mind the free dlc you get if you buy the game) and the music and gameplay mechanics are extremely fun to fiddle with. The achievements are also very fun to try and get. However, it was the unlocking system that really let the game down. Expand
  2. Jul 21, 2012
    It takes a while for the levels to get demanding, but the artful minimalistic design stands out from the first minute. It places itself between two genres, it's not really a puzzle game since every solution is obvious and immediate, and it isn't really a platform game since there's not much precision required to steer the cube. Often you wait for the cube to get transported by moving platforms, a waiting-time unnecessary and distancing for the game. Collapse
  3. Feb 16, 2012
    Great music, weird but compelling gameplay, puzzling puzzles, simple but effective graphics, good price.

A relaxing puzzle game that's unique in its own way. Definitely check it out.
  4. Sep 5, 2012
    Having bought the Steam indie bundle, I may as well go though each of the games individually. Firstly, EDGE is an ultra-retro thing (hard to classify) that's based on rolling a box around various levels. The visuals are strikingly stylish, with a very retro vibe to it all, for better or worse. The levels take their time to get going, but once they do, EDGE provides a meaty challenge for anyone with nostalgia or just want some simple mind-bending. I mentioned "for better or worse": being a retro style game, there isn't really a plot at all, not even a clear sense of progression besides harder levels. Another issue is the controls; you move the box using your standard WASD key setup, but the isometric perspective was somewhat confusing and I found myself repeatedly falling off the edge after misjudged which key moved the box forward. Overall though, EDGE is a fun little way to kill time until the next proper game comes out. The most interesting stuff in the industry however, will always be in the independent circle and games like this are an encouraging sign of the growth of indie developers. Expand
  5. Feb 19, 2012
    I originally played this on my iPod, but I was later enticed this on my computer. Don't get me wrong, Edge is a great game for mobile devices, but it's just not the sort of thing you expect to spend hours playing on your computer.
  6. Apr 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Edge presents an arcade-like experience by rockin' sweet game tunes within elaborate cube-based level designs. Colourful blocks slide, rise and sink in some amazingly choreographed motions, giving a surprisingly organic feel to an otherwise highly structured game; who can't forget the giant robots, the growing tree roots or the massive golem face?

The huge amount of levels offer limited types of challenges - microscopic wall-climbing, edge-hanging, buttons, launchers and secret collectible cubes are the most complex gameplay features available. Edge is far from being a puzzle game, because success comes simply by memorizing a level's predefined script while mastering the previously mentioned features. One of Edge's most unique features - edge-hanging - is also the most annoying. Tapping arrow keys with precise timing is fun for only so long, and the lack of fully utilizing analog gamepad sticks is a disappointment. Fortunately, the invisible in-game checkpoints are very well placed for reducing monotonous repetition. Nevertheless, the fast paced and challenging gameplay provides a captivating challenge.
  7. Aug 30, 2012
    For the price it is sold and the time you CAN spent with the game (and I have spent a lot of time) it is one of the best purchases i probably made for a game. The thing I like the most about "Edge" is that you can choose your "level of difficulty" in each stage for your own. If you decide to only go for the exit it will be pretty easy. There are a lot of checkpoints and they are mostly placed fair and reasonable. If you are playing this way "Edge" ist a normal platformer and getting to the end is not a question of knowing where to go but of your ability to move the cube the way you want. The next step would be collecting all the prisms scattered through the levels which is still easy although you have to think for some of them. The next thing to do is trying to get better times either way for the S+-rank (you need to collect all prisms for that) or competing for the leader-boards (just getting to the end the fastest way possible). At this point I would consider "Edge" as a puzzle-platformer since you need to find out what the best route is, where you should go first, looking for shortcuts and paying attention to timing for moving platforms etc. You also have to consider where you can and have to use the Edge-Time which is basically your cube clinging to a wall with just one edge. All the time spent as Edge-time will later on not be counted to your total time and therefore influence your results largely. So getting the best time possible is not only a question of sheer ability but also cleverness and like I said before is the part of the game I, personally, would consider as a puzzle.
    Although the graphic is minimalistic most levels give a different feeling and are unique and interesting with many interesting themes. Beside the games main 48 levels there is a free DLC with another 44 brilliant levels and additional 17 levels can be obtained by joining the Edge group at least if you are playing on Steam. To round this experience up the game comes with a catchy soundtrack which mostly will not annoy you.
  8. Oct 13, 2012
    This game is a very fun game. The music was varied, so you wouldn't maybe get sick of the same song over and over again. The only reason this game is not a 10 is because the controls can be hard to get used to. The puzzles are intuitive, and get harder gradually. This game is cheap in price, and it is a good game to just sit down and play casually. Buy it!
  9. Nov 9, 2012
    Edge is a very solid little game. At first the angle of the game annoyed me to death as I found myself constantly mixes up which arrow key moved me in which direction. It was very frustrating at first, but once I worked through the kinks the game became very enjoyable. While this isn't a title I can sit down and play for hours at a time it is great for killing 20 minutes here and there and I found myself coming back to play it more and more when I had some free time. The diversity of the levels helped to keep the game very fresh. I felt that the increase in difficulty curve increased perfectly as the game progressed not making it too hard for the player when new concepts were added. A solid game that I will continue to play. Expand
  10. Feb 27, 2013
    Wonderful. Mind you, the gameplay is in no way special. You simply move everyone's favorite 3D shape (a cube, duh!) around by rolling it. Grabbing on stuff causes you to gain "EDGE time" (see what they did there?), which is subtracted from your total time. That's not what makes this game fun. What IS making this game fun are the levels. The levels usually have a gimmick, like "black hole", where you can enter a wormhole which moves you to a corresponding wormhole, and "robot sport" where, for a brief moment, you fight your rival in a giant robot suit. Absolute genius. There's even a level designed by a kid named Zias (named Zias), and even that was pretty awesome. The music is fantastic, with strong 8-bit roots and a bit of techno vibe thrown in. Also, the music doesn't restart when you die, making sure you aren't listening to the same "BEEP BOOP BOP" every 5 seconds. So, that's gameplay: good, levels: awesome, and music: great. I feel like that clears all criteria, so I'll just end this here. I recommend this game to most, and I didn't regret buying it. Don't mind that the metascore is in the yellow, that's just today's rating system talking. I bid you fair-well!
    -Coffeehaus
  11. Aug 7, 2013
    A simple game of moving around as a block, collecting blocks and getting to the end point in a record time and amount of lives.

Certainly very fun for the casual gamer and well worth the price.
  12. Jul 21, 2012

1. Sep 29, 2011
    This cleverly designed game works great as a supplement to a diet consisting of blockbusters titles. [October, p.77]
  2. Sep 21, 2011
    Edge is one of the best modern mobile games and was ported with the same passion on the PC. Simple and intuitive, it can challange both casual and hardcore players, for its depth, addictive gameplay and constant support by the developers.
    An enjoyable puzzler that does its best to get the most out of a clever and simple idea. Even at the cheap price, though, it still feels like a mobile game that would be a better fit on the device in your pocket than the comparatively huge monitor of your PC.