6.4

1. Oct 23, 2013
    This is a decent roguelike dungeon crawling experience done pretty well in the Lovecraftian universe. The sneak mechanics work well and smooth. On the other hand, while the game emphasizes on versatility in the ability to play different styles that doesn't cut it well as the resources get scarce and the monsters stronger you're often left with no option but to sneak.

There is not much
    to say about the graphics and the sound, they are not extraordinaire but they do their job.

The part that isn't fun is the lack of loot and choice in weaponry, for a roguelike and such a broad universe there is very little in the sense of loot currency, 5 common items and about 10 equipment items some secret ones I only found one) and no character progression what-so-ever. And in the end you will find that only a few items, which are clearly more beneficial, make sense taking along.

This game requires more content for it to feel complete, it's nice ...but it had more potential.
  2. Oct 21, 2013
    Eldritch manages to find a sweet spot between silly graphics and heart-stopping, dungeon-crawling action.

Eldritch is the debut game from Minor Key Studios, made possible by Steam Greenlight.

What seems like another innocuous ride on the, “retro-but-stylized,” gravy train becomes an immersive adventure through randomized dungeons based on the lore of H.P Lovecraft's Cthulu novels.

Trading leveling up and skill points for items and action, as you delve deeper and deeper into the various dungeons of the game, you find ways to increase your overall health and buy items from a fishy (literally) shopkeeper who keeps stocked with the best convenient gear for a soon-to-be corpse.

It allows for both mouse/keyboard or a controller, and plays well with both. Controlling your character feels intuitive, and I found myself doing borderline parkour. Holding jump button allows one to grab on to a ledge and pull yourself up, and while sprinting, pressing the crouch button allows you to do a slide. It may sound like a small feature, but it adds a very nice flavor to the environment. I'm not just a random character I actually feel like an adventurer.

The game has a well implemented sneaking feature which allows players one of two options run and gun your way through dungeons while dodging mage fireballs and leaping monstrous insects, or taking it slow, sneaking around each corner, using the peek feature (which allows players to peek around the corner to see what's ahead without compromising their position to enemies) to carefully plot out their path through the scary depths of a very special Lovecraftian vision of hell.

Looting corpses can be exciting, as your ammo, keys, and other resources are limited. “Artifacts,” found in the game serve as both your currency and magic points. Praying to a Elder God statue nets you a fancy new magical power, ranging from teleports, the ability to spawn blocks Minecraft style to let you reach new heights or block enemy paths, cloaking for stealth nuts, and many more. Spam your magic too much, and you're left gearless. Buy too much gear, and you put yourself in a sticky situation when that one spell would have saved your hide.

The sound, though repetitive after a while, serves as a terrifying reminder than anything can be around any corner, keeping you on your toes. The far-away moans, footsteps and crawling sounds make you think twice about blazing through each floor.

The roguelike elements of the game add a nice twist, allowing your character to store Artifacts each time you revisit the mysterious Library (where you spawn) and all items are lost upon death. Each time you play, the floors are randomly generated and populated with enemies and random item spawns. Opening locked doors can be risky business sometimes you find a treasure trove, sometimes nothing.

The game is a wonderful package, overall. However...

The sound, though lending itself to the creepy world around you, does get repetitive. Problem being, you need the sound to know when and where threats lie.

The randomly generated dungeons are an amazing touch and really take this game over the top, but I found myself slogging through a random, but eerily similar dungeon as the one before, especially when descending deeper.

Enemies also seem very few and far between. Killing an enemy gives it a chance to spawn somewhere else in the dungeon you never completely clear out a floor, which makes re-exploration dangerous. Sometimes I found myself running into six or seven enemies on a floor, and sometimes none.

That said, Eldritch brings something new to the table. A 3D roguelike, with fun, stylized graphics, random dungeons, and, at times, rewarding difficulty.

This makes an incredible edition to any Steam Library, and I suggest picking it up pre-Steam sale. Yes, it's that good.
  3. Nov 1, 2013
    Well... where to begin? First off, the graphics is... well it could just as well been released as a free Minecraft mod. It looks like Minecraft, it smells like Minecraft. If you don't like Minecraft just like me, you will not like this one either.
  4. Oct 29, 2013
    You'll find potential in this unique dungeon crawler but not much beyond that. In fact there's not much to say about it. You're dropped in to a very strange library and after you read a magic book you're in a very strange dungeon. I get the game was trying to be unique, and it certainly is, but it's almost over done to the point where you won't compliment the game but rather scream what the And after a while it becomes clear that's what the game wants you to say, it wants you to be confused and a little unnerved. The next thing you'll probably notice is that all the story is in text form. So you'd figure with a game that to me has no story the gameplay must be the focus and Eldritch plays a bit like Dishonored's younger stupider brother. Fighting enemies by just running in and killing them isn't fun or satisfying, so I tried stealth but that's not very fun either. The most fun you can have is just running past enemies and seeing how fast you can get through the dungeon. And one thing I really enjoyed about the dungeons was that they were randomly generated but sometimes with out dynamite you can't even progress because they can randomly generate to be a big circle. Another giant flaw is the horrible inventory system. For whatever reason you can only carry one object that's the same shape as another, you can't hold two objects that are a circle i.e you can't hold your essential compass with you essential soul thing. Also they give the option to store your artifacts which acts as currency if you go through a dungeon and return, but that's all you can put back. You can't fill youur giant chest with weapons, keys, or ammunition and if you die you lose all of that which made for painful restarts. If I gave it props for one thing besides the unique style and admittedly fun exploring, it's the powers you get while playing at statues, jumping higher, hypnotizing enemies and creating magic barriers, these powers enhanced and changed up gameplay. But with no immediate indication of what power I get if I pray and no option to stop if I pray I can go from a good power to a bad one in half a second. All in all, the game suffers from trying to hard to be unique and forgetting they have to make a fun game, if there's a sequel I'll pick it up but I'll gladly put this down to play with it's big brother Dishonored. Expand
  5. Oct 23, 2013
    This game is amazing! Even for the cute graphics, the sound design and randomness of the game makes it terrifying! Hell, i made an account just to review this! The only problem is: There is so little weapons, on;y about 5 or 6, but other than that, the game has a lot of potential and since it just came out, the there is a big chance the devs will add more to It!
  6. Dec 3, 2013
    This basically Minecraft on acid, with a warped feel that gets under your skin and makes it completely unique. I haven't really delved into it too much seeing as other games have grabbed me more but it's certainly hard to fault
  7. Nov 19, 2013
    Please keep in mind thus is my very first review. Thanks.

Eldritch is an indie rougelikelike developed by minir key games. You wake up as a librairian stuck in a library, and before you are 3 books, every.book takes you to a new world which you can explore, and fight monsters in. Athe end of every level is a soul. The soul for the first world opens another book/world. Thr game is mistly
    easy but there is a HUGE difficulty spike in the second level. The game is very low on content, and i wish to see more, but until now, Eldritch is enough yo satisfy my indie rougelike needs. Expand
  8. Dec 21, 2013
    You'll hear people call this a sort of minecraft clone, and yes, obviously it's the easiest comparison there is. What you need to decide for yourself is whether or not that's a bad thing. In my opinion, this is an enjoyable rogue-like sim that blends some Lovecrafian intrigue with a nice sense of exploration.

I love Lovecraft, and while I think Minecraft is somewhat overrated, I have
    enjoyed that as well...so for me, this game was right up my alley. It was also relatively cheap compared to Minecraft, and while some MC mods might offer a similar narrative, Eldritch focuses on it entirely. Expand
  9. Sep 24, 2014
    Pretty fun rouge-like game. I'm a fan of the lovecraftian universe and the first time playing the Dagon dungeon was a lot of fun. When I got to Nyarlathotep dungeon, thinks got creepy as hell. Statues that are similar to the weeping angels and these things that keep coming back to life when you kill them.

Overall the game is enjoyable and it's not very expensive. it's good entertainment
    at that price. Expand

1. Jan 14, 2014
    Part Minecraft, part Lovecraft, all cry in the corner-craft. Bring clean underwear. [Feb 2014, p.78]
  2. Eldritch is a punishing difficult game that tests a player’s ability to survive in a Lovecraft-inspired world.
  3. Nov 18, 2013
    For all its borrowings and influences, all its sleights and feints, Eldritch's dark alchemy ultimately lies with the way it uses a blocky, cheerily primitive art style, silly sound effects and a surprisingly forgiving level of challenge to summon the kind of creeping dread that H.P. himself would be delighted with.