Eldritch PC

6.5

1. Oct 23, 2013
    This is a decent roguelike dungeon crawling experience done pretty well in the Lovecraftian universe. The sneak mechanics work well and smooth. On the other hand, while the game emphasizes on versatility in the ability to play different styles that doesn't cut it well as the resources get scarce and the monsters stronger you're often left with no option but to sneak.

There is not much

There is not much to say about the graphics and the sound, they are not extraordinaire but they do their job.

The part that isn't fun is the lack of loot and choice in weaponry, for a roguelike and such a broad universe there is very little in the sense of loot currency, 5 common items and about 10 equipment items some secret ones I only found one) and no character progression what-so-ever. And in the end you will find that only a few items, which are clearly more beneficial, make sense taking along.

This game requires more content for it to feel complete, it's nice ...but it had more potential.
  2. Oct 29, 2013
    You'll find potential in this unique dungeon crawler but not much beyond that. In fact there's not much to say about it. You're dropped in to a very strange library and after you read a magic book you're in a very strange dungeon. I get the game was trying to be unique, and it certainly is, but it's almost over done to the point where you won't compliment the game but rather scream whatYou'll find potential in this unique dungeon crawler but not much beyond that. In fact there's not much to say about it. You're dropped in to a very strange library and after you read a magic book you're in a very strange dungeon. I get the game was trying to be unique, and it certainly is, but it's almost over done to the point where you won't compliment the game but rather scream what the And after a while it becomes clear that's what the game wants you to say, it wants you to be confused and a little unnerved. The next thing you'll probably notice is that all the story is in text form. So you'd figure with a game that to me has no story the gameplay must be the focus and Eldritch plays a bit like Dishonored's younger stupider brother. Fighting enemies by just running in and killing them isn't fun or satisfying, so I tried stealth but that's not very fun either. The most fun you can have is just running past enemies and seeing how fast you can get through the dungeon. And one thing I really enjoyed about the dungeons was that they were randomly generated but sometimes with out dynamite you can't even progress because they can randomly generate to be a big circle. Another giant flaw is the horrible inventory system. For whatever reason you can only carry one object that's the same shape as another, you can't hold two objects that are a circle i.e you can't hold your essential compass with you essential soul thing. Also they give the option to store your artifacts which acts as currency if you go through a dungeon and return, but that's all you can put back. You can't fill youur giant chest with weapons, keys, or ammunition and if you die you lose all of that which made for painful restarts. If I gave it props for one thing besides the unique style and admittedly fun exploring, it's the powers you get while playing at statues, jumping higher, hypnotizing enemies and creating magic barriers, these powers enhanced and changed up gameplay. But with no immediate indication of what power I get if I pray and no option to stop if I pray I can go from a good power to a bad one in half a second. All in all, the game suffers from trying to hard to be unique and forgetting they have to make a fun game, if there's a sequel I'll pick it up but I'll gladly put this down to play with it's big brother Dishonored. Expand

1. Jan 14, 2014
    Part Minecraft, part Lovecraft, all cry in the corner-craft. Bring clean underwear. [Feb 2014, p.78]
  2. Eldritch is a punishing difficult game that tests a player’s ability to survive in a Lovecraft-inspired world.
  3. Nov 18, 2013
    For all its borrowings and influences, all its sleights and feints, Eldritch's dark alchemy ultimately lies with the way it uses a blocky, cheerily primitive art style, silly sound effects and a surprisingly forgiving level of challenge to summon the kind of creeping dread that H.P. himself would be delighted with.