6.7

1. Mar 3, 2015
    Elsword is a 2.5D skill oriented mmorpg that contains both excellent PvP and PvE functions.
    PvE allows parties of four to run various dungeons, completing quests as they do so, and progressing through the game's storyline. This is generally the best way to level your character, as well as gain equipment, or currency in game. While the difficulty level required to complete these dungeons in groups is quite low, speedrunnig for some quests, or soloing some dungeons on their highest difficulty can be a very difficult task for softcore players. This makes the game's difficulty vary according to your choices, as well as your safety margin. Over all, any player should be able to run these dungeons, as help is always be available for other players using the AutoParty function.
    PvP brings a whole other world of gameplay. Ranked according to your wins and losses, there will always be someone willing to challenge your skills in either 1v1, 2v2 or 3v3 competitively, [or just for fun (sparring for fun even allows for two teams of up to 4 players to face off)] who is at a similar level of skill to you. In other words, a rank S player level 36 could very well be matched up against a ranked S level 70 (which is the current North American Level Cap), due to the fact that though the other player is higher level, their skill level is likely lower, providing an even match (for appropriate matchups, you do have to spend a few games establishing your actual skill level, so the game can set you up properly, so expect to lose your first 4-5 games of competition). Perhaps, if you are challenge oriented, the PvP area of the game will be more for you.
    Mechanics found in skills are often designed to aid a player in either PvP or PvE, so the appropriate choice of skills is very important for a good build. All in all, to becaome a good player in PvP you need to intentionally work on your skill, as well as consciously build your character according to your playstyle. This is nice, because if you like the PvP area of gameplay over the PvE, you can build your character accordingly, or vice-versa, which gives each player's character individuality.

Over all, the game is quite nice. Buying and selling items beween players is available, allowing you to purchase items from other players with the games currency, should you be so interested.

Still, there are flaws;
    Firstly, the servers tend to be packed with players in the evenings, causing lag that can be devastating to PvP oriented players wiht low computer specs. (Honestly though, this problem doesnt really have much of an impact on dungeon running)
    Secondly, some characters in this game outclass the others flat out. It seems that whenever a new character or class is released, there is a need to make it stronger than all the rest. As of such, some characters are overall easier to play, and stronger than the others, making top tier gameplay fairly one-sided.
    Still, if you have a good computer, and are only a softcore gamer, this game should not present any problems for you, other than perhaps menu finding (which is still fairly intuitive).

Finally, yes, there are items exclusively purchasable to people who are willing to pay real funding. That said, such items are not essential to good gameplay, and clearing the game is very possible without such items. In addition, there are periodic events that allow players to acquire these items without paying, which seems like a fair compensation.

Over all, it is a game I have personally greatly enjoyed, as well as a game I would gladly recommend to others.
  2. Jul 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Elsword is definitely an underrated game. Though sadly, not by much. The storyline is unclear and not very relevant. In fact, characters who were once hated are very much welcomed into the communities that attempted to kill them previously. The menus are a tad confusing, but nothing a little experimentation won't fix. Also, it doesn't provide much of a tutorial, but this works fine for those who like to experiment, like with older sidescroller games. The combat system is a bit unbalanced as well, especially to those with ranged characters. However, the amount of customization is beyond amazing. There are nearly limitless possibilities and the game never forces you into microtransactions. The community is a bit competitive nowadays, though. So if you're looking to make new friends, that will be unlikely. The game is fast paced at first, but later levels require an excessive amount of dungeon grinding which gets annoying and tedius. Expand
  3. Nov 2, 2014
    Elsword is fun, for one day.
    I played this for 2 weeks and got bored almost immediately, leveling is tedious, spending real-life money on a game that's free is stupid, and what is the story line?
    Leveling really is annoying and a lot of dedicated players will agree with me on that. It's not worth leveling up. I thought this game was free. The K-ching price is unbelievable. I swear
    Elsword is fun, for one day.
    I thought this game was free. The K-ching price is unbelievable. I swear somewhere out there kids on Elsword are crying. I had a close friend (who still play the game) spend over $100. You can buy like 2 legitimately good game with that money. WHY COSTUME SETS AND PETS?
    Finally the indistinguishable plot. Maybe if I payed more attention I can collect clues!
    I refuse to read a manga to understand why the hell I am continuing to play the game.
    Seeing that there's 23 positive review, I heard that Elsword community is good(if you're high level which my friend is), so If you want to hang up with kids, teens, and adults via game. This totally is the game for you.
    Not underrated in the least bit my friends. Overrated? Close.
  4. Dec 21, 2014
    The Game is good with god gameplay and very smart dungeons or map or whatever you gonna name it.The Game Play is fun and colorful.But the only complaint is pvp it's confusing! and the menus though is also confusing!
  5. Apr 13, 2015
    I have played Elsword since the beta and the open world release in 2012. I have seen all the "so-so" moments. I have been there for every class release and job change. I am officially addicted to Elsword. It's just that good. They listen to player requests, they do necessary patches, they release new players, events, or areas every week on Monday. This game is perfect. It has a few minorI have played Elsword since the beta and the open world release in 2012. I have seen all the "so-so" moments. I have been there for every class release and job change. I am officially addicted to Elsword. It's just that good. They listen to player requests, they do necessary patches, they release new players, events, or areas every week on Monday. This game is perfect. It has a few minor glitches like teleporting randomly when you are pvp'ng on Hope Bridge. (It gets annoying especially when you activate skills). Besides that this game is perfect. It is a balanced mix of MMo, anime based, RP. It has its own manga and everything. I have tested ALL the available classes. Not once have I been dissapointed except when playing Aisha. (Shes hard to control) Everyone should give this game at least a month so you can get both job advancements and level caps. It is amazing, That is all Expand
  6. Nov 7, 2014
    Elword isn't jast a fun gam I love that gam I play every day same peeps didn't like

but I thank it's fun I rally hozp you try that gam maks me hippy to now that thais gram is in here
  7. Feb 26, 2014
    As a free-to-play game, this is pretty decent. The presentation is stellar in its color and visuals and the soundtrack, while nothing amazing, is fun to listen to and adds to the action. There is a story, but there's no point in paying attention to it. What this game features is beat-em-up hack-and-slash action that's easy to get into and fun to play with friends. It's not enough to keepAs a free-to-play game, this is pretty decent. The presentation is stellar in its color and visuals and the soundtrack, while nothing amazing, is fun to listen to and adds to the action. There is a story, but there's no point in paying attention to it. What this game features is beat-em-up hack-and-slash action that's easy to get into and fun to play with friends. It's not enough to keep you hooked for months at a time, however, as it really is nothing more than a hack-and-slash game and you'll have to do a lot of it to get anywhere in the game. This can take more than a long time as it takes forever to level up. But after playing 40+ hours, I'm still playing and probably will keep doing so for a while. The game is fun and the community is also friendly, and its all free. That makes a good package.

Edit: In a recent patch, they've improved the leveling system and the bar isn't nearly as high. It's not much, but an improvement. Score changes from 7 to 8.
  8. Jul 25, 2013
    Confusing menu's, wildly variable difficult, stiff movement and combat. After that you must pay money to customize your character's appearance. The game is interesting for about 20 minutes, then it is nothing but a money sink. But the story is fairly complex, so some may enjoy it for that.
  9. May 13, 2013
    Elsword is an amazing game that have a lot of story. this game is based on a manga. thus, If you compare the characters from the game with the manga, you will double your enjoyment of the game.
  10. Dec 13, 2013
    This game is truly a very underrated game. While if does have flaws, it simply makes you want more, once you get a bit further into it.

Main things to know: Elsword is a hack'n slay MMORPG, which is 100% free to download and play. You do have a cashshop, which can get you some nice things, but it's not necessary to spend money, to achieve anything. There is(at the moment) a total of 6

Main things to know:
    Elsword is a hack'n slay MMORPG, which is 100% free to download and play. You do have a cashshop, which can get you some nice things, but it's not necessary to spend money, to achieve anything. There is(at the moment) a total of 6 characters to chose from. Each character is very unique and can get 3 different job advantages. Therefore you have enough room for developing a character that fits your playstyle. The Korean Server has 8 playable characters(9th is coming out at the moment).

Story:
    The story isn't that great. You do have the choice to read the story things, backgrounds etc. but it's not something you really need to do, in order to enjoy the game. If you however like storytelling in MMO's, it's not that bad either.

Gameplay:
    As mentioned earlier, it's a Hack'n Slay game. You have 2 basic attack and 4/8(depending on if you buy the bonus slot) usable slots to put your skills in. It does seem kinda strange, but this basically forces the player to actually think, before simply using skills randomly. Also, instead of having a full mana pool to use your spells from, you have to fill it yourself(mostly with normal attacks).

PvE:
    The PvE is so-so. The first 3 areas are ok, the 4th area is really annoying and horrible to play through. But once you get past it, the areas(including ~6 dungeons) get better and better, making the endgame really enjoyable.

PvP:
    The PvP is simply amazing. Is has some minor problems(mostly with player lag), but can also be a rather enjoyable or awful experience. While having good equipment and a high level is recommended, it's not a must. The PvP looks more on the individual skill, rather than forcing you to get high end equip and Avatar clothing.

The game is quite amazing and can become an awesome experience, it you are into games like these. I myself am playing the EU-version ever since it came out 3 years ago. I tried a lot of 2D and 3D MMO's which were all in the hack'n slay genre, but for me Elsword is without a doubt the best out there at the moment. So yeah, if you look for a new game, or simply something to kill time, try out Elsword.
  11. Feb 17, 2014
    These critics really should play the games they criticize for more than jut 2 hours.
    Elsword is a game filled with fun and mini-games, events, activities. And one of the most updated games I've ever seen, there's always an update and main event every month, new characters coming out from the original Korean version.
    It does the job it promises very well, it's a pure 10 for it's very
    It does the job it promises very well, it's a pure 10 for it's very unique design, and don't mix it with Maple Story, Elsword is a new century side-scroller, Maple Story is in a different league, Maple Story is a Legend, Elsword is a Rising Star. 10 out of 10 with not doubts about it's score.
  12. Oct 13, 2016
    This game is a pretty usual chinese MMO RPG, let's see if it accomplishes the average japanese MMO...

-Company making horrible decisions on the game? Check -Generic and unoriginal anime characters? Check -Paying 10 dollars for a single piece of costume for your character? Check -If you don't have money and want to buy a costume with the game's coin (but it's so expensive that when

-Company making horrible decisions on the game? Check
    -Generic and unoriginal anime characters? Check
    -Paying 10 dollars for a single piece of costume for your character? Check
    -If you don't have money and want to buy a costume with the game's coin (but it's so expensive that when you are done will grow a full white beard like the one of Santa Claus)?-Check
    -Skinny characters? Check
    -Attacks and abilities are so exaggeratedly coloured that will slow down your game and won't let you see your character while fighting? Check
    -Affeminate characters? Check
    -Boring story with a plain plot and plain characters? Check
    -Having your butt being grabbed into the dance floor by some OP homo on PvP? Check
    -For achieving new level or getting new item will have to do the same mission until it becomes tedious, boring and repetitive? Check
    -Will have to play until your dick falls off for being something at the game? Check
    -Retarded community? Check
    -The company that created the game having a funny name? Check
    -Sexualized characters that tries hard as **** to be cute/kawaii/sexy or i don't know what the **** are they in? Check
    -Completely lame music that tries hard to be epic but fails entirely (not saying all of them sucks, i must admit some of them are pretty good)? Check
    -The community that plays the game is 80% black people? Check
    -Game having a gay name? Check
    -Stupid administrators doing stupid things and stupid events? Check
    -Gay people using female characters? Check
    -Crappy sound effects? Check
    -Graphics are so cartoony and the background is so quiet that almost looks like everything is made of cardboard and nothing feels truly alive? Check
    -Gay dance customizations for your character? Check
    -More gay customizations? Check
    -Bosses with a **** of Damage and HP that tries to be challenging and test your skill, but ends up on just being a pain on the ass? Check
    -Support doing nothing at all making the report button just looking like an extra if you are bored? Check
    -If you want a full costume set, you'll have to pay the price (or maybe higher) of a much better game? Check
    -Bad voice acting? Check
    -Loading screens are so embarassing that when a stage is loading up and someone passes behind will want you to close the game? Check
    -99.9% of the female characters' customizations are only skirts or bikinnies? Check
    -Everyone making of it a nostalgic and very old game but it's just a 5 year old game that is not very famous and will end up being forgotten some day? Check
    -Fanservices for the anime-lover weebs that plays the game? Check
    -Completely **** crossover characters that have a completely boring and cheap fighting style that just unbalances even more the game? (Example: Female gunner aka:Rose) Check
    -Game ending up just to be a big lie to waste people's time and money? Check
    -Official wiki having stupid rules for no reason and removing the edits you make? Check
    -Game is so silly that ends up being a fighting game for girls? Check

Anyways, i can keep that up forever but still the game is pretty funny, but they just got A LOT to improve, and i repeat A LOT. I hope KOG can make use of this review to help their games if they plan to make another ones, or making Elsword a far better game than it is. Still, no matter how you look at Elsword, it's just a VERY mediocre and average RPG game.
  13. Aug 21, 2014
    Elsword is a pretty decent free to play side scrolling games.Anime lovers would enjoy this game more.I Iikes sounds and graphics. It also has a nice gameplay features.The game has an indian server named Elsword india - http://www.elsword.in/ and many gamers playing this ..
  14. Sep 1, 2014
    The game is good and fun but i do admit it does get tiring. The story line is a little confusing at first but if you pay attention you'll see how it all clicks. the game does have you kill your keys on your computer by a lot. the characters are pretty good but some are over rated and overused. but if you come to play and make friends you wont be making much. the players are more there forThe game is good and fun but i do admit it does get tiring. The story line is a little confusing at first but if you pay attention you'll see how it all clicks. the game does have you kill your keys on your computer by a lot. the characters are pretty good but some are over rated and overused. but if you come to play and make friends you wont be making much. the players are more there for pvp i think and some are there to play and make friends. however i think from when i played in the past to now i do say some things have changed like when i first started a lot more people used to talk, be friends and come together but now i really don't see that as much but i still see some of it but not as much, before when people did talk to each other people where mean like really bad. Expand
  15. Jun 1, 2015
    The good:
    -9 characters with a backstory and 3 classes to choose from and tons of cosmetics to customize with
    -descent graphics -good gameplay -long playtime -fun with friends -friendly to new players -functioning pve and pvp The bad: -some characters are op and spammers -the pvp arena might have you play against someone 20 levels above or below your guy The average -the story
    The good:
    -descent graphics
    -good gameplay
    -long playtime
    -fun with friends
    -friendly to new players
    -functioning pve and pvp
    The bad:
    -some characters are op and spammers
    The average
    -the story is not as good

FINAL VERDICT:8/10
    SENTENCE: Underrated
  16. Jun 26, 2017
    I honestly adore Elsword. sure, it can get a little confusing sometimes, but overall a fairly good game. but there is one MAJOR problem that I believe a lot of other people can agree with me on: the promo costumes. yeah, I can understand them being non-permenate; so that the player can really add their own flair to them. but what I don't understand is for them to be COMPLEATLYI honestly adore Elsword. sure, it can get a little confusing sometimes, but overall a fairly good game. but there is one MAJOR problem that I believe a lot of other people can agree with me on: the promo costumes. yeah, I can understand them being non-permenate; so that the player can really add their own flair to them. but what I don't understand is for them to be COMPLEATLY unobtainable after their time is up. with all do respect, I cannot possibly understand why you would ever implement a costume set without a way for the player to access it again. yeah, I am very aware that there are some events where the player can get them again. but a lot of the time people either don't see them, don't check in very often, or can't properly participate in them(like if you already used up your cube). I have some ways to fix this problem. you don't have to follow them, but I think there pretty good ideas:
    1. have the original costume sets buyable in the Item Mall.
    2.make them permanate from the get go
    3.make them a very rare obtainable dungon items
    4.have a "monthly" quest where players can obtain them
    5. you think of the rest
    overall, I believe that Eldword is a pretty grate game, and I really love it. but for havens sake, PLEASE MAKE THE COSTUMES OBTANABLE.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Jun 17, 2012
    Elsword isn't the most polished game, but it does beat-em-up action quite well. Between the pets, the gear, the PVP, the costumes, and even the boss-rush modes, there's a good deal of content waiting to be plumbed by gamers that want a bit more action and skill from their MMOs. It's at least worth a look.
  2. Jan 6, 2012
    An overall bad game that feels cheap in every part of it. When the matter comes to money it's a rip-off . Fun only in the first hour.