Empire: Total War PC

• Release Date: Mar 3, 2009
6.9

1. May 16, 2017
    Одна из двух лучших стратегий в истории игр

Не считаю, что рядом с "Империей" и её предшественником "Наполеоном" (вторая лучшая стратегия в истории игр) что-то может даже рядом стоять Тут можно захватить мир и это не выглядит так скучно и нелепо как в "Цивилизации" (не считаю её плохой, но как стратегия слабее в разы) Несколько кампаний, исторические и неисторические события по
    Одна из двух лучших стратегий в истории игр

Несколько кампаний, исторические и неисторические события по вашему желанию. Герои - вполне реальные правители, генералы, адмиралы, министры и, возможно, представители спецслужб.

В ней есть всё, что мы любим
    - война: эпичные битвы на земле и моркие баталии;
    - отношения: торговля, коалиции, убеждения, угрозы, подкуп и коварство;
    - красивый внешний вид;
    - разнообразные локации;
    - есть место для ролевого отыгрыша;
    - строительство поселений; (привет, Тодд)
    - прокачка, исследования, апгрейд;
    - шпионаж, религиозный бунт и даже государственный переворот, и я не всё в силах перечислить.
  2. Feb 22, 2017
    The most broken Total War game in history
    The most broken Total War game in history
    While the introduction of naval battles were great ideas and gun powder battles in general are great fun, I have never had a worse experience than this with any Total War game. Not even Rome II at it's release was as buggy as Empire still is today. After playing Empire for 42h I can easily say Empire Total War has the worst AI in any game of the series.

So far I've seen the AI defending a fort by assembling all it's troops in the center the fort, allowing my men to climb the walls and kill all of them without taking a single hit.

Even deadlier for the AI's troops and yours as well is walking stairs. I can't describe how often I've seen soldiers getting off a fort wall via a staircase simply fall over and die by the hundreds. Once they reach the bottom of the staircase they just fall over, without taking any hits. Hundreds of dead bodies on a single spot. This bug wasn't even fixed in Empire's sequel/standalone addon Napoleon Total War. In fact this even happened to me more frequently there.

This is gamebreaking and it's unbelievable how these bugs still haven't been fixed.

tl;dr Many gamebreaking bugs, even years after release
  3. Sep 9, 2016
    The best Total war, the pinnacle of the series. One of the rare occasions where official reviewers scored it right.

Don't get me wrong, the launch was attrocious, i remember it clearly, i had pre-ordered it. And CA should pay for this blatant disregard for the customer. But as a game, this was a masterpiece. And today, after the patches it received, it is perfectly playable and fun.

Many people don't seem to appreciate this game, because they were used to the more arcade-y battles of previous installments. You know, just click on units and charge!. Well, Empire Total War does a really good job with its battle system, portraing the battles of its era. You need proper tactics, and positioning is key. Morale is everything.

The battles are more chess-like, like in real life Napoleonic-era battles. You need to take care of not breaking your battlelines, while breaking the opponents, causing morale shocks, and eventually routing him. This takes knowledge of how the units work, and how to position your units properly.

I write these things because many people think this game had bad battles, because they tried to play those battles like Medieval II and Rome. I did at first too, i know.

In the end, this is the best gunpowder era game we have. If you love maskets and cannons, and want a really great empire management game with cool tactical battles, this game is for you.

This was much better than Rome and Medieval II, Napoleon and Shogun II began the downward spiral of casualisation. This spiral began because people complained about Empire. Careful what you wish for people, you didn't like the realism of Empire, Rome II is what you eventually got.
  4. Aug 30, 2016
    An amazing game, one of the best in the Total War series and my personal favorite. The game runs very smoothly and gives interesting gameplay, allowing players to use different playstyles with different nations. Each nation offers unique gameplay. Overall, I am impressed with this and give it 9/10 rating. The game could be a bit more historical, although I understand the game was not meantAn amazing game, one of the best in the Total War series and my personal favorite. The game runs very smoothly and gives interesting gameplay, allowing players to use different playstyles with different nations. Each nation offers unique gameplay. Overall, I am impressed with this and give it 9/10 rating. The game could be a bit more historical, although I understand the game was not meant to be played in all ways historically. Expand
  5. May 23, 2016
    I am writing this to alert people once again at how bad this game is. Never mind how bad it was at launch, I will tell you my experience as of the last CA patch, when they announced they would no longer be patching this game.

I played the campaign long enough to play a single battle. I was defending a fort from an enemy assault. Mere seconds after the battle started the opposing AI ran his general out, sweeping across his front lines, and opened fire on my fort with his cannons....directly through his general's unit, thereby killing his own general within about 15 seconds from the battle start. Probably trying to cut around my fort at my reinforcements behind and to the left of the fort.

That was the start, then about a minute later I had moved my two reinforcing units up to flank the attacking force, when the AI decided it would meet my reinforcements head on with a cavalry charge. I had elephant cavalry and some sort of hybrid ranged/melee unit, so I switched my ranged unit into melee mode, and counter charged, relying on the elephant cavalry to break the enemy charge and my other unit to overwhelm them. Then I switched back to manage the assault on my fort, which was going well for me, only to switch back to the conflict outside my fort to find that while my elephant cavalry had charged, my other unit had not. At first I thought I had misclicked, but come to find out, when I had put the unit in melee mode, it froze in place. I couldn't move it. I had to toggle it back in forth multiple times before it "fixed itself" and I could move it again, but only in ranged mode.

As my general was part of the now gutted elephant cavalry, I was actually at risk of being routed. I held the fort, but the AI was reforming for another attack, and all I had to stop his cavalry outside the fort was a unit that I couldn't switch from ranged mode or it would stop moving. Meanwhile his cannon had done serious damage to my wall. Reviewing the damage I realized his cannon were no longer firing, why not? Well, that is because the AI decided to abandon his cannons, which still had plenty of ammo, and charge the fort with his cannoneers, while his other units stood and watched. The marched right up to the walls, where I had local number superiority, then broke and ran, as did the rest of the forces. Giving me the victory.

Realizing battles where not a test of skill, but a test of whether the gameplay crippling bugs the player experiences are worse than the horrible, suicidal. AI, I stopped playing then and there and have not touched the game since. i honestly think anyone who rates this game a 10/10 is either being paid, is not a gamer at all, or is playing on such easy difficulties they don't really notice how terrible things are. keep in mind, my experience, was post the last CA update, after they had "fixed" the game.

TLDR: As of final patch, game was still broken with massive bugs and a non functional AI. Not worth playing, not to mention paying for.
  6. May 7, 2016
    i am sorry about people's that have negatived review to this nice game . unfortunately some of player can't wait and think carefully . these games are not exited to them because not action .and so puzzle work to do . you have to command ,role ,economy terms ,also you have to change the history , this people's don't know how to play then comes and write about rts games . i have beeni am sorry about people's that have negatived review to this nice game . unfortunately some of player can't wait and think carefully . these games are not exited to them because not action .and so puzzle work to do . you have to command ,role ,economy terms ,also you have to change the history , this people's don't know how to play then comes and write about rts games . i have been playing rts games from 1995 until now and the Empire:total war is the best rts game on 2009 . Expand
  7. Feb 25, 2016
    Giving it a 7, A decent installment of the Total War franchise that offers some fresh mechanics like gunpowder, the ability to traverse continents, strategic battles that aren't focused solely on the capital city(forts and such) and good naval battles.

While the game isn't perfect, the new features offer a fresh experience that should be fun for awhile for most people.
  8. Sep 11, 2015
    One of the better entries into the Total War series, it has its highs and lows.

Pros: The game finally opened the world map with the base game although some earlier adaptations had given peaks into the Americas and other areas. The expanded unit selection felt greatly improved over most games in the series who offered only a few unit types with little difference in play style. Cons:
    One of the better entries into the Total War series, it has its highs and lows.

Cons: The AI will anger most people to no end, for something as simple as colonial era line infantry you'd think it'd be easy to nail down decent mechanics, most units will get the job done for combat but its very immersion breaking. Campaigns in this game are rather bland after a certain point and you quickly get locked into a system of being drawn into pseudo world wars, where in trade is useless and you're only option for profitability is to conquer your neighboring territories leading to a larger world war.

All in all its a decent game that fell short of what it could've delivered.
  9. Aug 9, 2015
    Total war has been around for quite some time, and I have bought and played all of them since the initial Shogun. The expanded campaign map is welcome and the trading ports, Naval warfare likewise. Lots of pluses that is, but there are drawbacks as well. To me, those drawbacks are "blocker bugs". Blocker bugs would be something that would prevent the game from being released. PreviousTotal war has been around for quite some time, and I have bought and played all of them since the initial Shogun. The expanded campaign map is welcome and the trading ports, Naval warfare likewise. Lots of pluses that is, but there are drawbacks as well. To me, those drawbacks are "blocker bugs". Blocker bugs would be something that would prevent the game from being released. Previous Total war games has had a few, but I am amazed that a franchise that's been around for so long still has issues like this. After half an hour of navigating three ships against nine enemy ships, having one left and aaaaalmost winning the battle and the game freezes... The graphics are also quite bad. Room for improvement. Yay! Expand
  10. Aug 2, 2015
    This is easily the worst entrance into the series (other than Rome II). The concept for this game was so good and it had so much potential but it all got wasted for some reason. It could have been that they were rushed for release or that they were using a new engine, but whatever the reason, it still doesnt excuse this game for its quality. That being said it is still a good game. ThereThis is easily the worst entrance into the series (other than Rome II). The concept for this game was so good and it had so much potential but it all got wasted for some reason. It could have been that they were rushed for release or that they were using a new engine, but whatever the reason, it still doesnt excuse this game for its quality. That being said it is still a good game. There are a lot of very memorable things about this game like some of the battle. I remember in my first playthrough I played as the United Provinces, it was late game and I was invading Russia. I was on their final settlement, which was Moscow and they had built a star fort for the city. It was a massive battle, my army was made of 3 max chevroned elite unit stacks and their army was made up of 7 garbage militia army that were untrained. I lost all but 4 units but I won and with it I wiped out Russia! Expand
  11. Jul 23, 2015
    Perfect game. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Apr 11, 2015
    I'll review Empire:Total War v1.5 plus all DLCs.

Like a lot of people here I discovered the Total War series with Rome:TW, back in 2005. After ten years of playing every title Creative Assembly has released, I think Empire:TW has all the necessary elements to claim the throne of the Total War saga. Its attention to detail and richness of features is remarkable. Powerful ships of
    I'll review Empire:Total War v1.5 plus all DLCs.

Powerful ships of the line, pirates, best sea battles ever, commerce all around the globe, profitable trade lanes, plenty of colonies, very useful technology research options, musketeers of all kinds and the first riflemen, devastating artillery, classical music, very interesting historical announcements, silly mustaches, wigs and uniforms, great graphics, details and effects, gunpowder and smoke everywhere, etc. If you have a craving for these things, Empire:TW is just the thing you are looking for.

This game separates itself from the rest of TW titles (except for Shogun II and perhaps Rome II in certain aspects) with respect to naval commerce and battles, regions on the map, types of agents, unit replenishment, building options and tech tree
    If you are used to the endless building options from Rome:TW or Medieval II:TW, you'll find Empire:TW a tad simplistic in this regard, but the amount of amazing stuff this game has to offer compensates for it. Don't get me wrong, you can still build a fair number of different buildings in both cities and towns, but the assortment has been reduced in comparison (cosmetic buildings have been eliminated, which is a good thing, if you ask me).
    Empire:TW is all about smart diplomacy, a strong navy, colonization, trade, trade and yet more trade.
    Trade lanes can be raided by fleets, damaging the economy and, for the first time in TW, the blockade of a major commercial port (connecting you to your colonies and major trade partners) can lead to disaster.
    In Rome/Medieval II you could conquer most of the campaign map without a decent navy, that's not the case in Empire:TW... without a strong navy you can't secure trade lanes, can't defend your ports, can't transport invasion forces safely, etc. Besides, you'll be missing one of the best things in the game: naval battles between frigates, galleons, brigs, sloops, etc.
    In Rome II:TW I usually autoresolve naval battles because they are pretty dumb and broken, but in Empire:TW I just can't stop commanding my fleets personally, positioning my ships for a deadly broadside, taking the wind into account, surrounding the enemy fleet, boarding enemy ships and capturing them when they are worth it, fighting pirates in the Caribbean, researching technologies to improve my fleet, it's exhilarating!!! Graphics and effects are pretty good too, even for 2015. I can't get enough naval battles in Empire:TW, I'm totally addicted... Every time my first /second rate ships of the line fire their three decks of heavy cannons at the enemy, I feel a unique excitement. The sound of the cannons, the smoke from the gunpowder, the wooden hulls being splintered, the sails being ripped, the masts being broken...as I said, graphics and effects are great, naval battles are thrilling and feel quite realistic, also, strategy is essential, which finishes the package.

What about the regular land battles? Well, effects and graphics are great too, the unit firing dynamics is amazing too, specially after researching milestone technologies like "fire in ranks", "platoon fire" and others. It's awesome to see how the first rank of soldiers crouches after firing, so the second rank can fire right after, and then the third one. The musket sounds, the gunpowder smoke, units being decimated by enemy fire, etc., it's just awesome. Not to mention the artillery, mortars and howitzers are specially deadly when loaded with special kinds of ammo, which needs to be researched too.
    Strategy is vital here too, which also finishes the package nicely.

Research is conducted in special buildings (schools, colleges, universities) and can be accelerated using gentlemen (agents than can duel other agents, steal technologies or research them), technologies can be exchanged with other nations through diplomacy, which is great.

Diplomacy options are more complete than in previous TW titles.
    Several buildings can be constructed in specific landmarks outside major cities.
    Ministers can be sacked if they are incompetent.
    Units can be replenished almost everywhere and can also be separated from their parent army.

To summarize, Empire:TW is a delight to play, specially if you have a craving for this historical period.

As always, TW titles are vastly improved using mods, in this case I recommend DarthMod.
    It introduces tons of improvements, several new units, increased income from settlements and trade, graphical improvements, AI improvements, new awesome classical music and themes, etc.
  13. Mar 27, 2015
    If you are a fan of the Total War series, this is an adequate entry, but it isn't a strong one. The interface can be confusing, at first, and many of the simplified battle mechanics are more complex - so you need to take some time to learn it. This feature, in particular, is frustrating when you're very first campaign mission begins with a battle and there is little intuition from theIf you are a fan of the Total War series, this is an adequate entry, but it isn't a strong one. The interface can be confusing, at first, and many of the simplified battle mechanics are more complex - so you need to take some time to learn it. This feature, in particular, is frustrating when you're very first campaign mission begins with a battle and there is little intuition from the interface; especially frustrating if you're a veteran of the series and feel like an idiot for not understanding.

Yet, much of the commentary about the frustration of the battle mechanics, campaign, etc. boils down to a problem of the developer's goals and gamer audience needs'. From the gamer's POV, we want a streamlined, intuitive system so we can jump right into the game and explore it. We want the immersion of the experience without being jolted out of it by bugs or gameplay failures. From the developer's standpoint, the feeling is that they wanted to bring home the realism of battle in that time, shooting for historical accuracy as much as possible. What got sacrificed in a spirit of authenticity was streamlined gameplay.

It does bring home how rain affected battles when you the general have to navigate through the fog of war, essentially. It brought home how spread these empires were and how much time, concentration, and energy went into establishing a global network in a time when information moved slower. And it does bring home the frustration of navigating troops and ships prior to the telegraph and much later, radio-based communication.

So what we have is a game that from an historical standpoint, fairly accurate. From the gamer standpoint, very obnoxious. Puzzling, do we reject or accept it, but we cannot do either as it won on one perspective but lost another. If you play this, choose which way you want to approach it, for if you approach it as just a game then you will be disappointed. If you approach it as a simulation of an historical period, you will find some enjoyment, but it does test your resolve and patience. And that, is probably why it does not score as high as it could have.
  14. Mar 26, 2015
    This is an updated grade for something that I would have given a zero if I was posting on metacritic back in 2010. I bought the game five years ago and was stunned when I got home and learned what the "online connection requirement" was needed really meant. I had to download it on my 12 kb per second connection! Two Days later....I get to finally play.....just to find out my graphicsThis is an updated grade for something that I would have given a zero if I was posting on metacritic back in 2010. I bought the game five years ago and was stunned when I got home and learned what the "online connection requirement" was needed really meant. I had to download it on my 12 kb per second connection! Two Days later....I get to finally play.....just to find out my graphics card was seriously out of date and that the spec requirements was a, at that time, $500 graphics card. YYYEEAAAARRRRRGH!!! I had whoafull looking characters moving on the screen, not even moving their feet, just floating along with bland backgrounds. I cried that day. And I played and enjoy TW: Medieval so much. That was a zero for this game.

Now...about a half a year after buying a brand new computer with a top of the line processor and graphics card, I remembered this game and finally played it. It plays like all the other Total War games, so expect the same experience. I liked the ship movements and building fleets to control the seas. I did not like the slow tedious ship battles, so I just clicked the resolve immediately button every time. The A.I. is a little suspect. When I attack someone, even if they are out numbered 10 to 1, they will just march forward to attack me which allowed me in every battle to employ the same strategy. I did not like the "gentlemen" who are suppose to help you town make improvements faster, because, it didn't seem like they did that at all. They could be use for research, but only one research can be down at a time as I found this out thinking I had three smart gentlemen researching only to find out I was just researching the last one I clicked on. Useless. I played Sweden and hurried as fast as I could to the New World to establish colonies, only to discover that in 1718 all the land was colonized. Great. The campaign doesn't even start until 1701. Heck! Sweden did colonize New York in the 1600s but no, I have to play when the British were firmly established there. They should have started the campaign in the early 1600s. Other than that, its Total War: A Game Five Years Ahead of Its Graphic Card and stupid DRM through Steam.
  15. Mar 24, 2015
    The game is buggy as hell at launch. Most of its issues are fixed by the mod community afterwards. However, after so many years, potential save corruption and the infamous "Ottoman Turn Freeze" is still present, rendering the game unplayable in late game, even the latest version of Darthmod can not fix those issues.
  16. Jan 28, 2015
    Welcome to the second era of CA and the first game of this era which was developed with their strange engine; Warscape! In this era, you'll encounter many strange bugs, frustrating crushes, unfinished mechanics and weak technical support. Additionally you'll play the last hardcore and innovative Total War game in the series. Empire Total War is a broken game with beautiful features. It'sWelcome to the second era of CA and the first game of this era which was developed with their strange engine; Warscape! In this era, you'll encounter many strange bugs, frustrating crushes, unfinished mechanics and weak technical support. Additionally you'll play the last hardcore and innovative Total War game in the series. Empire Total War is a broken game with beautiful features. It's story is similiar to Rome 2 Total War.(another warscape game) It was released unfinished and broken. After one year, they fixed some serious bugs and let the mod community complete it. At the end of the day customers had a game with game-breaking bugs and poor AI even efforts of great mod community. Getting back to the game, early modern warfare concept works well and using gunpowder units is entertaining. But my advice is stay away from naval and siege battle features. These parts of the game are still buggy and frustrating after many updates. Campaing map is huge and there are many empires to pick. Unit diversity is satisfaying, especially if you play with non-european empires. European nations fight each other with the similiar line infantry and its upgraded versions. Maratha Confederacy and Ottoman Empire have interesting units to play like war elephants and janissaries. You can combine their melee units with their weak rifleman and try different strategies against modern european armies. Battle AI is terrible but thanks to the early modern warfare concept and line battle tactics which hide AI's meaningless decisions, you can play as if there is no huge problem.(Units are generally static except cavalary) Other features like trade system, goverment management and technology development are well designed. If you really want to play this buggy game you should get DarthMod to enhance your gameplay. Good luck and have fun... Expand
  17. Dec 23, 2014
    This game is a source of continued frustration. I periodically install it and then remember why I never play it and uninstall it two hours later. The game has so much potential, great ideas, nice naval battle addition and the whole idea of playing the gun line battles in the Total War engine is excellent. However, it all falls apart due to the controls of the game.

Moving your gun lines

Moving your gun lines around is just too tricky and illogical for the game to feel like anything but a struggle against the engine itself rather than against the enemy. Many areas of the maps don't allow for lines to be deployed evenly there and if you try, you get very strange formations with your soldiers often pointing in the wrong way or just taking forever to get into formation. At other times they'll just take the most ridiculous route to get into your new formation in your new location. Finally, sometimes they just bug out and either wander off the map completely or do nothing. The game compensates for this by making the AI ridiculously easy to beat. I've had many battles where I never felt like I was in control and that my plans came together and yet I'm rewarded with a heroic victory time and again. And this is on Very Hard difficulty, mind you.

Darthmod helps a bit with some of the most annoying errors but not nearly enough. In the end, this game could have been excellent but just ends up being very annoying.
  18. Dec 1, 2014
    Its a solid game. However unfortunately they left the game riddled with bugs. I just picked the game up after years of not playing it and lo and behold the game will still continue to freeze on occasion when you say to start a next turn. This was a problem that the game had back in 2009 when it launched. Basically buyer beware.
  19. Nov 28, 2014
    Someone complained about a lack of updates on reviews?
    Ok, here it is.
    Someone complained about a lack of updates on reviews?
    Ok, here it is.

This is the worst game of the series Total War. I found the gameplay and the strategy of the entire system to be flawed and annoying. On easier difficulties the enemy would just enter your line of sight, get shot at, flee as they were being butchered, 10 seconds later they decide to make another attempt because well - nothing changed. Again they enter the line of fire, take a few losses and run.

How is this better than Rome 2? A Total war game in which the AI ran through my volley of catapults (barely on Hard difficulty) to reach my few melee units, circled my general with pikes and closed in for the kill, that I barely escaped from. I don't get how some people's brain works, when games like Empire total war is considered to be awesome and Rome 2, is crap. Rome 2 has it's flaws still, but years later, Empire total war is still a piece of crap.
  20. Sep 25, 2014
    Empire: Total War is an amazingly vast and epic journey that spans the globe more than any of its predecessors or children. Want to invade India, mount war elephants and then ship them to the US to prevent the American revolution? Then do it! It was buggy and extremely frustrating (mainly because I was enjoying it so much) at first but after the tears of patches it runs well and you canEmpire: Total War is an amazingly vast and epic journey that spans the globe more than any of its predecessors or children. Want to invade India, mount war elephants and then ship them to the US to prevent the American revolution? Then do it! It was buggy and extremely frustrating (mainly because I was enjoying it so much) at first but after the tears of patches it runs well and you can finish an epic 150 hour game with no problem. It's inexpensive and thrilling. If you like history, strategy, and real time tactical combat on a massive scale then get it and judge for your self. Expand
  21. Sep 25, 2014
    Without the bugs, this game would deserve 10. At its launch it was but a lousy beta, but now, without the crash and slowings in siege battles, it would be perfect. Anyway this game proved that CA is unable to deliver anything but a beta on release date.
  22. Sep 13, 2014
    First off this game requires a powerful computer in order for the game not to lag so badly. This game is literally addicting and contains many campaigns and scenarios to choose from. The main American campaign should be played to get an understanding of the game and to get used to the controls in a battle and economic management. The map is huge divided into 3 main theaters of NorthFirst off this game requires a powerful computer in order for the game not to lag so badly. This game is literally addicting and contains many campaigns and scenarios to choose from. The main American campaign should be played to get an understanding of the game and to get used to the controls in a battle and economic management. The map is huge divided into 3 main theaters of North America(Doesn't have the western United States but compensates with parts of South America), India , and Europe( Contains a small part of Northern Africa). The overall pros of this games are the huge near global map, 10ish nations (campaigns) to play as and a difficulty setting of easy to insane, religion plays a role, unexpected moves from allies,neutral, or enemy nations while in game, graphics are very good if you have a high resolution. The cons which are minor are the unrealistic time from which when you click end turn it takes 6 game months,Rare bugs,and a long wait time for other nations to take their turns because of the large amount of nations which can take 1 to 2 minutes when placed in fast forward. Overall Best Strategy game I have ever play with little to no bugs and it's very addicting with so many scenarios. Expand
  23. Aug 22, 2014
    Empire Total War is my Favorite to play of the Total war series, including Shogun 2, and Rome 2. The first of the series to include real time naval combat, and what a great job they have done. The game looks beautiful and its combat mechanics are sound.

There are still a few issues particularly with cavalry, (as there are with all the total wars so far), with the units splitting up over a large area and not staying in cohesion, particularly when chasing down routing enemies. Have had the odd bug where both reinforcement troops for player and PC wont completely come onto the map and therefore are there but cannot be controlled.

The game does use massive resources and load times are a little longer than i would like, but with graphics turned right down, is acceptable. Like all the total war games, I am not so fussed with graphics but absolutely adore the game play.

The introduction of the technology tree is an interesting addition to the game that I'm not particularly for or against but does add some depth. Improvements have been made in diplomacy and trade as well but still not quite where i wold like to see them.

I want to be able to tell another country to make peace with an enemy not just declare war.

Empire Total War is a massive leap forward for the franchise for the time and overall is a massive success. Thank You Creative Assembly
  24. Aug 16, 2014
    Great game until i get to the year 1760 then it crashes have tried all fixes and nothing works so half the rating for a half playable game disappointed overall.
  25. Aug 1, 2014
    I remember when this game came out I was so stoked. To this day, it is still my favorite Total War that I classify as next gen. While I have played Shogun and Napoleon, they cannot stand anywhere close to this installment of Total War. The formula for the game is the same as the others, a map like Civilization, and real time combat like Warcraft. This game however encompasses the entireI remember when this game came out I was so stoked. To this day, it is still my favorite Total War that I classify as next gen. While I have played Shogun and Napoleon, they cannot stand anywhere close to this installment of Total War. The formula for the game is the same as the others, a map like Civilization, and real time combat like Warcraft. This game however encompasses the entire world. There is the old world (ie. Europe to Russia), The America's, and an Indian region. You can play with a variety of countries including The United States Of America, they even have an 'intro' campaign that is set during the Revolutionary War where you have to build America to the might it is today. The time period is great because there are naval ships as well as land units and this is the first Total War game to incorporate naval battles in real time. There are many elements to the naval battles such as wind, different types of ships, and using your naval superiority to establish blockades and trade embargo's so you can build your nation with Military strategy as well with taxation. Diplomacy has been changed within this game and I like it better because you can establish your nations agenda to other nations every turn if you choose.

This game is really fun though when you are 150-200 turns in and certain nations have become superpowers and they all start attacking each other and sailing across the Atlantic with invasion forces and whatnot. This game is also the first to incorporate the technology tree which gives the player power to determine the nations focal points (ie. military/economic).

The Warpath campaign is also a great add on when you are done playing the main campaign. It is a native american stand alone campaign which is focused on native american tribes in the American area.

Overall, this game is great along with other Total War games for any busy professional who needs to take a thirty minute break from their job to run their empire because of the turn based setup and how the game saves after every turn as well as giving you the option to quick save right before a battle. Finally, the game runs very smooth on my laptop which really made me very happy. It runs well on my i3 with six gigs of RAM with an integrated graphics card that I got for $160 because I look for deals and I don't like girls who have the same chip set and amount of RAM with the apple logo on the cover and pay $999. #CuteNerds
  26. Jun 9, 2014
    Not sure what everyone is complaining about, I thought this game was fun as hell. Good unit selection, nice size maps, long and satisfying campaign, good campaign plot or story as well. Very fun multiplayer just alot of fun in general. Things I would have liked is that I found that their was limited carnage. When I play the other total wars their is destruction everywhere and it feelsNot sure what everyone is complaining about, I thought this game was fun as hell. Good unit selection, nice size maps, long and satisfying campaign, good campaign plot or story as well. Very fun multiplayer just alot of fun in general. Things I would have liked is that I found that their was limited carnage. When I play the other total wars their is destruction everywhere and it feels real, which I want in empire total war however its a a few scattered bodies in a huge map, and I think more melee units would be nice. Expand
  27. Efa
    Apr 18, 2014
    My undisputed favorite from the Total War series.
    Only complaint is the AI's inability to conduct naval invasions of other land masses + India.
    Great economy, scale and the best style of naval combat from any of the games.
  28. Apr 12, 2014
    I reviewed this game when it first came out, but the review has mysteriously disappeared, so here is a new review! :)

Ignore the reviews by professional critics, they are paid to give positive reviews. Have a look at the difference between the critic score and the user score. The people who bought this game know what's up. This game is garbage. Where to start? Tons of bugs.

This game is garbage. Where to start?

Tons of bugs. Constant crashes. The AI has trouble moving troops around the battlefields and forts. Natives did not use cannons. etc. etc. I could go on and on, but I will spare you.

Yes, I am aware some of these issues have been resolved. That does not change the fact that this game was unfinished software when released and remains a bug-infested crapfest to this day. When I purchased this game I felt I had been cheated by Creative Assembly and I am still bitter about it even now, years later.

Creative Assembly really hit rock-bottom with this title. If you buy this game, you are only encouraging CA to produce more garbage games. Save your money.
  29. Mar 31, 2014
    I truly like this game very much! Its a pitty there are so few players anymore, its difficult to get a hold on a multiplayer battle nowadays. Huge replayablity value.
  30. Mar 25, 2014
    based on other reviews i thought the game was bad but then i got it i love its my favorite game lots of people say its bad well i dont its a great game for people that like strategy and war.
  31. Feb 13, 2014
    I can't say that I exactly enjoyed the hell out of it, it seemed to be more marketed for casual gamers who just pick it up and play for an hour then go outside with friends. When I would be playing this it would be for at least 2 hours minimum and I just can't enjoy it, even with darthmod increasing the re playability. The battles just aren't as epic as Napoleon that came afterword andI can't say that I exactly enjoyed the hell out of it, it seemed to be more marketed for casual gamers who just pick it up and play for an hour then go outside with friends. When I would be playing this it would be for at least 2 hours minimum and I just can't enjoy it, even with darthmod increasing the re playability. The battles just aren't as epic as Napoleon that came afterword and there came a point that I just auto resolved all my battles and won. After that win I just couldn't enjoy it, so couldn't give it a very high score over all. Expand
  32. Jan 27, 2014
    It is a great game highly recommend it too series fans and newcomers alike. The only problem I have with it is the diplomacy. That is one of the biggest problem that is in all of the total war games. Why don't outer country's want too trade? also one outer thing. This is a great single player but if you want online
    Napoleon: Total War is much better online game then this one. In
    Napoleon: Total War is much better online game then this one. In Napoleon The graphics are way better, there are more maps to play on and there a lot more units to use in battle.

On the outer hand Empire way better in single player then Napoleon. In Empire the map is way bigger, a lot more factions to play as and you have a lot more freedom. In Napoleon you have to go by what they did in history in Empire you don't. So you want a vary good single player get this one but if you want a vary online Napoleon Total War is the one to go with
  33. Jan 23, 2014
    this game is one of the best in the total war sries, the map is huge and with many nations to play, the battles from india to america and all around europe make you fell like you are in the 1700s, it is one of the best RTS games i have ever played, it have few problems like the not so good AI, and the minor bugs but in the it a great game and every RTS fan sould love it.
  34. Jan 14, 2014
    All I need to say is....... BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  35. Dec 21, 2013
    MAJOR improvement over the past total wars! nothing to complain best rts in its year... great campain map,, realy HUGE, many different units, each faction has its own special units etc, also improved diplomatic (still not the best but ok) AI sucks somtimes but its decent and realy improved again.
  36. Dec 13, 2013
    The combat features of the game are A+ standard and very enjoyable, which is the most important aspect as this is the main selling point of the game.

However the other aspects on the actual world map are not as strong and do hold the game back in a few aspects. Still well worth a look.
  37. Dec 12, 2013
    After playing somewhat 500 hours with Medieval II it was a shock to play Empire. I understand that they didn't want to do something over and over again, but i really missed family tree duo to that it's missing everything and everyone fell hollow. AI was here bad but not much from Medi II. (or it might be duo to mods that i had more than 20) Also i never like whole 17 19-Century timeAfter playing somewhat 500 hours with Medieval II it was a shock to play Empire. I understand that they didn't want to do something over and over again, but i really missed family tree duo to that it's missing everything and everyone fell hollow. AI was here bad but not much from Medi II. (or it might be duo to mods that i had more than 20) Also i never like whole 17 19-Century time period.
    But if you like muskets and ships it's still a good game
  38. Dec 8, 2013
    Awesome Game completely different to when it was launched but now its like the best game ever ..Heaps of fun with many countries and Unit DLCs The Conquest of america is just the best of the game ..Gave it a 9/10 is because i hate that artillery don't even route when the battle is over ..Other Stuff its great
  39. Dec 7, 2013
    What differentiates a good game from a great game, is whether you would reinstall it years after playing the first time, and despite its flaws, Empire: Total War manages to capture my imagination again and again.
    If you are a fan of the period, large scale battles filled with musket wielding infantry, cuirassiers, and bronze cannons, or immense wooden ship unleashing devastating broadsides on each other, you owe yourself to try this game.
    Add a mod like Darthmod, and you get an experience that no other strategy game managed to deliver up to this date.
    Unfortunately, despite the importance of diplomacy to 18th century politics, and the many factions that appear in Empire: TW, the game still lacks in that department, so if you're interested more in negotiations than in combat, there are better options in the market.
  40. Nov 5, 2013
    People give this game a lot of flak over AI, bugs and other things. i for one haven't encountered any bugs and although the AI is poor at times, it isnt as bad as people have said. Although many of these reviews were around release time, they should go back and see what improvements have been made. The factions are plentiful, wide ranging either in Europe, India or America. DiplomacyPeople give this game a lot of flak over AI, bugs and other things. i for one haven't encountered any bugs and although the AI is poor at times, it isnt as bad as people have said. Although many of these reviews were around release time, they should go back and see what improvements have been made. The factions are plentiful, wide ranging either in Europe, India or America. Diplomacy in the game has, for me, improved. Rather than training diplomats, you just have to click a button to interact with factions. Good game. Expand
  41. Nov 4, 2013
    While I own most of the total war games they tend to not do much for me. This one was the exception really. Superb engine, great tech tree and atmosphere. Good stuff
  42. Oct 31, 2013
    A good game this is. The only problem with the game is the long load time. Otherwise, the factions, the gameplay, the music are all awesome. Creative Assembly deserves all the praise and acclaim they get.
  43. Oct 20, 2013
    A game with pros and cons. Sure buy for CA fans and strategy nuts. The game is pretty, with a nice range of factions, a huge map to mess around in and fun tactical battles. Beyond that the game is pretty shoddy, and is so incredibly easy, that it really needs the player to handicap themselves. The craziest feature is political control. Once you conquer an area, the player has to wait aboutA game with pros and cons. Sure buy for CA fans and strategy nuts. The game is pretty, with a nice range of factions, a huge map to mess around in and fun tactical battles. Beyond that the game is pretty shoddy, and is so incredibly easy, that it really needs the player to handicap themselves. The craziest feature is political control. Once you conquer an area, the player has to wait about 12 months before it fully assimilates into your country. Thus you can conquer and hold ALL of Europe, the middle east and the Americas without needing to worry about rebellions, or financial costs that might threaten your complete control of the world. This is of course, ridiculous. Compared to Europa Universalis games it is also POOR game design. CA games look prettier, and it is probably more fun to feel tough and kick everyone in the arse. However as a simulation or 'historic game' it's a complete joke. Also, its no small matter that the loading screens in this game run for ages. Over time there is a lot of time lost waiting for the computer to stuff your screen with mindless prettiness.

Orctowngrot
  44. Oct 19, 2013
    Absolutely mind boggling that this game has a 90 from the official critics! Paid off much? The user reviews definitely speak the truth about how bad this game is.

The bottom line is it's utterly broken. Plain and simple. This is a broken buggy mess of a game. It really could have been awesome but it's borderline unplayable simply because of bugs/glitches. The optimization is awful for graphics that aren't even that good.

It might be the most broken game I have ever played next to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. This is the first and last total war game I will ever buy. Such a waste of money.
  45. Sep 22, 2013
    I totally shocked at the user reviews! This is as good as rome total war (the 1st of course). Its a great game. the european and american map feel like two different games which is awesome. The units are very cool and many countries have their own unique units.

Some of the problems that hold it back is that the AI still has problems that were in rome total war and have never been patched, such as the cavalry charge the enemy does on your units. They sometimes throw a quarter of their army doing this. The AI in siege battles are pretty bad too. It is also a bad idea to auto resolve battles (trust me). The game also doesnt have just simple open fields to fight in. There is always trees and hills which is fine but i would have liked a completely open map with nothing but flat land. beside these its the total war and its amazingly fun. Making armies with wacky strategies and tactics is priceless. I recommend going long range light units and musket cavalry only.
  46. Sep 22, 2013
    I love Total war games, Rome and Medieval 2 have never left my hard drive since i installed them, but I have to say that empire total war is an abomination of Total war games First of it takes way to long to load, the grand campaign is more of a course in micro management then an actual game, and the campaign AI do F-all in the way of attacking me. The sea battles do redeem the game aI love Total war games, Rome and Medieval 2 have never left my hard drive since i installed them, but I have to say that empire total war is an abomination of Total war games First of it takes way to long to load, the grand campaign is more of a course in micro management then an actual game, and the campaign AI do F-all in the way of attacking me. The sea battles do redeem the game a bit, but as the only highlight this is very poor. The Battle AI is more likely to glitch and send a single file of men against you then have tactics, and the hanging point of battle is supposed to be the musketeers, but it takes a couple of volleys from your WHOLE ARMY to destroy one unit. The garrison able buildings and forts are a poor replacement for the cities and castles of earlier games and provide the enemy with an easy target more then give you any defensive value. Cannons would be helpful in battles if they killed more then 3 enemy units a shot. Overall a sad disappointment after the previous games, this game has a boring grand campaign, HORRIBLE AI, ineffective units and repetitive battles. ALSO ALL THE UNITS LOOK THE REALLY SIMILAR! WTFs UP WITH THAT?! Expand
  47. Sep 17, 2013
    This is simply the greatest total war of all time. It has the best map, in the best age, with the best darthmod. This game is absolutely excellent. Excuse me, I must stretch my empire around the globe.
  48. Sep 16, 2013
    As everyone already knows, the launch for this game was a disaster, but, and ultimately still unacceptable, after a yr or so of patching, the game as actually become one of my favs of the total war series. But to be honest, it should not take me a yr or better to actually enjoy this game when I made the horrible mistake of purchasing it upon release. Now those bugs and little glitchyAs everyone already knows, the launch for this game was a disaster, but, and ultimately still unacceptable, after a yr or so of patching, the game as actually become one of my favs of the total war series. But to be honest, it should not take me a yr or better to actually enjoy this game when I made the horrible mistake of purchasing it upon release. Now those bugs and little glitchy issue are relatively gone. Not to mention that there are a ton of mods out for this game, Darth Mod and Toon Total War are 2 of which should really be checked out by any new comers to this game.

With that being said, the overall size of the map, tons of excellent features and a tech tree, mixed with a huge variety of units to customize your armies with, makes this game great. I mean there is hrs upon hrs of replay ability for this game. over all I'd change my previous 3/10 to a 9/10 for this game. Well worth the money and it's pretty cheap now too.
  49. Sep 14, 2013
    This game has good new features that weren't polished enough, and the AI leaves much to wish for. Once you conquered 5 to 6 cities is pretty much game over. The AI never really puts a challenge against you, and spams trade ships like crazy instead of a solid fleet. It's enjoyable with mods, but the vanilla game as a 'meh' feeling to it.
  50. Sep 5, 2013
    Empire is not the best in the series; neither the worst. It fails in some points, but is really fortunate in other, like the sea battles. The historical period is very interesting, with so many different stuff happening at the same time. You should buy this one, the battles are very fun to play and the generals are very charismatic. The campaign is formidable, to conquer the entire world,Empire is not the best in the series; neither the worst. It fails in some points, but is really fortunate in other, like the sea battles. The historical period is very interesting, with so many different stuff happening at the same time. You should buy this one, the battles are very fun to play and the generals are very charismatic. The campaign is formidable, to conquer the entire world, even in videogames, is always very nice! Expand
  51. Sep 5, 2013
    Empire Total War, while still a great game in itself, fails to live up to the standards of the previous two and ends up swimming in a sea of mistakes and flaws which weren't there before. Graphically, it is an improvement, although the strategic map seems a lot less friendly and intuitive, while the colours are not as well chosen. However, the biggest problem consists in the simplifying ofEmpire Total War, while still a great game in itself, fails to live up to the standards of the previous two and ends up swimming in a sea of mistakes and flaws which weren't there before. Graphically, it is an improvement, although the strategic map seems a lot less friendly and intuitive, while the colours are not as well chosen. However, the biggest problem consists in the simplifying of core areas, such as building upgrades, or the diplomacy system. There's only a very limited number of buildings to choose from, everything else being upgrades to those 4 or 5 base buildings per settlement. I really resent this. Diplomacy feels less personal and more robotic, while a lot of incentives to play are not there anymore. A good thing are the naval battles, nicely designed, very realistic and atmospheric, but this is not an excuse for neglecting a lot of core areas of the game which were previously sound. Too bad, there was huge potential. Expand
  52. Sep 3, 2013
    I love Empire total war. For me this is the best total war after Medieval 2. Having 3 continents and a bit of North Africa is awesome. And i love the 18th sentury a lot.
  53. Sep 2, 2013
    I understand how extreme it is to give a game a 0 or 10 but in this case, I honestly feel it deserves it. A game that provided me with over 1200 hours of gameplay (and still counting) for me, ranks right up there with such legendary games as Master of Orion 2, Sid's Civilization and XCom.

When the game was first released there were plenty of bugs but the patches long ago have squashed them all for me. Never before has a game pushed the boundaries so much and seemed so grand in scale, I was in strategy heaven! Introducing interactive naval combat for the first time in the Total War series, 3 different theaters, a technology tree, a completely new era, and the list goes on. To me, Empire Total War is the time when Creative Assembly really dug down in their creative spirits, took risks by breaking away from the safety of their melee heavy games (which are great by the way) and delivered a unique experience that every strategy gamer should experience.

If you like strategy games, this is a must have for your collection in my honest opinion. If you can appreciate the risk the developers took with the introduction of so many new mechanics and a scale unmatched by any Total War game before or since; I think some of you may find a game taking its place among a short list of all time favorites.
  54. Sep 1, 2013
    It's an amazing game that paved the way for later Total War games like Napolean and Shogun. It's glitchy but that can be overlooked most of the time. It could be said that Empire Total War is as revolutionary for the franchise as Rome Total War was. It brought new gameplay elements to the campaign and is overall an epic and enjoyable game.
  55. Aug 24, 2013

56. Aug 18, 2013
    This is a great game. A fabulous blend of grand strategy relating to empire building and tactical strategy on active battlefields. I gather there were many bugs when it first came out but 95% of these have been fixed. A great one more turn game that also serves to illuminate a fascinating period of history. I know some people bash this game give me this any day over a Paradox titleThis is a great game. A fabulous blend of grand strategy relating to empire building and tactical strategy on active battlefields. I gather there were many bugs when it first came out but 95% of these have been fixed. A great one more turn game that also serves to illuminate a fascinating period of history. I know some people bash this game give me this any day over a Paradox title at least it engages you with the history and challenges you to change it and if you are clever enough gives you a fighting change without requiring you to have a Doctorate in tactics and strategy. Expand
  57. Aug 12, 2013
    I have spent over 500 hours on this and this was my first PC and steam game i bought with my own money this game is really fun and if you are a fan of strategy games then you will enjoy this game.
  58. Aug 5, 2013
    this was my first total war game. I liked, and i had played about 30 hours but i realy prefire shogun total war 2 and the original total war style of gameplay. The citys arent a special place with a great wall or something they are just citys and you can enter in the houses. the game is just solid
  59. Aug 5, 2013
    The campaign and naval battles are awesome!!! The new technology tree and the immense scale make the campaign very fun, and the naval battles are top notch. However the land battles are absolute garbage, with horrible AI and even worse pathfinding (it's not unusual for it to take a cavalry unit 15 minutes to get out of a gate). I've been playing total war games since Medieval 1, and thisThe campaign and naval battles are awesome!!! The new technology tree and the immense scale make the campaign very fun, and the naval battles are top notch. However the land battles are absolute garbage, with horrible AI and even worse pathfinding (it's not unusual for it to take a cavalry unit 15 minutes to get out of a gate). I've been playing total war games since Medieval 1, and this is definitely the most thrown together one. Since you'll be spending most of your time on the battlefield, and it is broken, I give this game a 5. Expand
  60. Jul 29, 2013
    A game in Total War series which I liked much less than Rome or Medieval. Most of the new features were annoying: the strategic map is now crowded with buildings which used to be parts of cities previously. Too detailed and over-complicated empire management. The ability to control a ship is out of place in a strategic game here it's just a clumsy simulator. Finally, the US flagA game in Total War series which I liked much less than Rome or Medieval. Most of the new features were annoying: the strategic map is now crowded with buildings which used to be parts of cities previously. Too detailed and over-complicated empire management. The ability to control a ship is out of place in a strategic game here it's just a clumsy simulator. Finally, the US flag everywhere and the main campaign focusing on the US independence war. I know your primary paying audience is the US, but the rest of the world which is much more people and more players aren't that much interested in the US history so that you would have to put it (and nothing else) into the campaign. I didn't have any interested in the main campaign, tried to play for Germany and Russia and dropped after a few turns. The strategic map is just muddy, you can't see anything. The battles are somehow clumsy and lack the drive of Rome Total War. The units speaking their own language might seem a fun idea at first but I would much more prefer to hear english with national accents. Not that this game is bad: those who haven't seen Rome or Medieval may like it. It's just that the series lost its touch in this game. Actually, I'm not even sure one could create a playable Total War-style game in the setting where there are so many range units and the concept of "line tactics". This just doesn't work with games where you normally want to out-maneuver opponents. Expand
  61. Jul 11, 2013
    People do not give this game or CA enough credit for this game. The sheer scale of the battles and the size of the campaign map is almost unrivaled and it makes the player feel like they are actually conquering the known world from the 18th century. Sea battles are a welcome addition to the series, and though unit variety is rather low. The game makes up for this with the added tactics ofPeople do not give this game or CA enough credit for this game. The sheer scale of the battles and the size of the campaign map is almost unrivaled and it makes the player feel like they are actually conquering the known world from the 18th century. Sea battles are a welcome addition to the series, and though unit variety is rather low. The game makes up for this with the added tactics of a primarily ranged army. The only flaw with Empire is the easy and sometimes stupid AI. Players are forced to wait or sacrifice their soldiers because they are unresponsive. To make up for this players can install a variety of Mods to the game that increase the Unit cap and add additional nations and units to make the game more realistic Expand
  62. Jun 27, 2013
    Empire total war has received an unjust amount of criticism allot of which was due to bugs and initial issues with steam. Now the game has been patched its a far better gaming experience but doesn't live up to M2:TW and Rome:TW, battles just aren't as fun or engaging and sieges in particular are a mess.No longer do you attack castles/towns with the buildings from the campaign map insteadEmpire total war has received an unjust amount of criticism allot of which was due to bugs and initial issues with steam. Now the game has been patched its a far better gaming experience but doesn't live up to M2:TW and Rome:TW, battles just aren't as fun or engaging and sieges in particular are a mess.No longer do you attack castles/towns with the buildings from the campaign map instead you attack different forts which are pretty much the same every-time and offer little variety of strategy required to capture them. Naval combat which looked brilliant is just a pain and even after 250 hours i have no clue how it works resulting in the imperfect auto resolve option being used the majority of the time.

That said the campaign map has been extended dramatically with America, India and trade routes added giving the game a much grander feel. The graphics are also fantastic really stepped up from M2:TW, giving battles a realistic and epic feel. Technology trees also allow you to research advance technology which you can see take effect on the battlefield in the form of new moves or new units, you can use technology to improve the economy or the enlightenment of your people. This adds new complexity to the game and allowing different styles of play to be used.
  63. Jun 4, 2013
    This game absolutely doesn't deserve the tons of bad reviews it got in the first year after being released.
    I bought it in 2010 nearly no bugs, crashes, etc. were left. Even with the most stupid AI I've ever seen, it's just addictive to make your empire the mightiest on earth. Also, after beginning to be bored by the campaign- which, in my case, happened after 200+ hours- there is still the mp left, although I really recommend Napoleon Total War to all mp fans, as there are not only better graphics, but also the possibility to play campaigns together. In my opinion, this is one of the best games ever made.
  64. Apr 25, 2013
    The game was a good try to bring in the Total War franchise into imperial age and firearms-based warfare, but the game suffered from rushed release (bugs and instability) and some annoying gameplay mechanics, that made expanding your empire slow and painful, especially when it comes to conquering smaller countries (which former capitals like to revolt all the time, making occupation costlyThe game was a good try to bring in the Total War franchise into imperial age and firearms-based warfare, but the game suffered from rushed release (bugs and instability) and some annoying gameplay mechanics, that made expanding your empire slow and painful, especially when it comes to conquering smaller countries (which former capitals like to revolt all the time, making occupation costly and often frustrating). The unrest coming from modernization is also a major pain in the a** that doesn't add much to the game itself other then being another source of frustration, also significantly slowing down your growth.

From my point of view, most issues with this game were addressed with Napoleon: Total War and that is the game really worth recommending when looking for this time of gameplay.
  65. Mar 14, 2013
    The only thing that might have made this game better is a map of the whole world to conquer. I've logged 201 hours on this in steam. I can't seem to get into the other Total War games that revolve around melee combat. I love my musket men and their formations and maneuvers. I love playing as Russia and spreading Orthodoxy all over the world until there is only one religion destroyingThe only thing that might have made this game better is a map of the whole world to conquer. I've logged 201 hours on this in steam. I can't seem to get into the other Total War games that revolve around melee combat. I love my musket men and their formations and maneuvers. I love playing as Russia and spreading Orthodoxy all over the world until there is only one religion destroying schools and erecting churches in their place. Slowly bombarding a fort to pieces the constricting my forces about it and attacking in waves. Or holding back and assuming a defensive position letting the enemy scater his forces against my line like wind before a stone wall. I simply love this game. Expand
  66. Jan 21, 2013
    at first the game looked terrible to me, there is no proper welcome, if you don't go throught at least the first 2 chapters of the "road to independece" you wont know how to play, but after you play that campaign, the game opens the amazing and large options it has, because of the use of gun powder you have to use completly diffrent tactics. the economy in this game plays a huge role,at first the game looked terrible to me, there is no proper welcome, if you don't go throught at least the first 2 chapters of the "road to independece" you wont know how to play, but after you play that campaign, the game opens the amazing and large options it has, because of the use of gun powder you have to use completly diffrent tactics. the economy in this game plays a huge role, it's very fragile and alliances have diffrent meaning. its very diffrent from the old total war games but it was gonna have a change at some point, all of the people that say they are fans of the total war franchise and say this game is bad, aren't real fans, just because of the change in the game, they were forced to make a diffrent change, in total this is a great and amazing game, shame how people threated it Expand
  67. Dec 30, 2012
    The Total war series has had me hooked since medieval:total war. The games are just so epic, especially some of the battles provided your pc is fast enough. I can literally spend all day playing this game its so awesome. An example of how games should be made - it requires a brain!
  68. Dec 18, 2012
    While the game offers a level of complexity that I normally find entertaining, I find the world screen the most interesting. Battles turn into the two sides lining up and shooting at each other which while perhaps historically accurate leads to boring repetitive battles with strategy breaking down to putting guys with the longest range in back and shortest in front. This was my firstWhile the game offers a level of complexity that I normally find entertaining, I find the world screen the most interesting. Battles turn into the two sides lining up and shooting at each other which while perhaps historically accurate leads to boring repetitive battles with strategy breaking down to putting guys with the longest range in back and shortest in front. This was my first introduction to the Total War series but this particular game felt like a waste of $, I had high expectations and was very disappointed. Expand
  69. Nov 27, 2012
    |It's taken a while and after many patches the game is now the best in the series overall. most of the negative votes are from earlier versions of the game so don't be put of by them not updating their review. perhaps only 2 points of problem. You have to be online and have the patches to get the good experience, it's setting may not rock people boats. otherwise this is the best the series|It's taken a while and after many patches the game is now the best in the series overall. most of the negative votes are from earlier versions of the game so don't be put of by them not updating their review. perhaps only 2 points of problem. You have to be online and have the patches to get the good experience, it's setting may not rock people boats. otherwise this is the best the series has to offer at least until rome 2! Expand
  70. Nov 4, 2012
    Best game i have ever played (so far).... siege battles are disappointingly bad to say the least, although that is the only blemish on this amazing game.. clocked up at least 700 hours on this badboy.. cant wait until Rome 2.
  71. Oct 23, 2012
    It didn't starts anyway i try to. When it starts then it crashes many times. So i give two points for at least the graphic and those few minutes i could play it .
  72. Oct 4, 2012
    One of the best Early modern period warfare game still and the first Total War to include actual naval combat, which is a plus and apart from the standard campaign mode which has large amount of content, the game includes a special campaign "Road to Independence" which chronicles the birth of the US from settlement of Jamestown to the American War of Independence and a multiplayer mode.One of the best Early modern period warfare game still and the first Total War to include actual naval combat, which is a plus and apart from the standard campaign mode which has large amount of content, the game includes a special campaign "Road to Independence" which chronicles the birth of the US from settlement of Jamestown to the American War of Independence and a multiplayer mode. With improved interface and controls 15+ nation including Native American armies & an introduction of a technology tree make Empire an excellent addition to the total war series and will provide many hours of gameplay & complex and rewarding fun.
    The only downside is the AI isn't always reliable & the custom mode lacks the some options and flexibility compared to medieval 2 all in all Empire is still a great strategy game
  73. Sep 28, 2012
    Hey, how about a 2012 update, huh? I'm shocked at coming on Metacritic to see such low scores for a game I've owned for a long time now, that I adore. There is NO bugs, some of these reviews are absolutely outdated and unreliable. In my opinion, this is the most playable of all the Total War games. The tech branches are much more expansive and really do progress as time goes on and theHey, how about a 2012 update, huh? I'm shocked at coming on Metacritic to see such low scores for a game I've owned for a long time now, that I adore. There is NO bugs, some of these reviews are absolutely outdated and unreliable. In my opinion, this is the most playable of all the Total War games. The tech branches are much more expansive and really do progress as time goes on and the campaign was fantastic. I felt like I was rewriting my text books. It's also one of the more colorful TW games, because it covers such an active century of domination and war. Napoleon felt sort of like a plus 20 year map pack to this gem. This game is just as good as any other TW game, it really is a shame that people wrote hundreds and hundreds of reviews within the first couple of months of the games release, yet when the game is "Fixed" (Because I never played it when it was supposedly bugged) everyone just lose interest in lifting a finger for a new review. I'll simply put it this way, this game is worth every dollar, pound, or euro it costs. Expand
  74. Sep 3, 2012
    As its own game, Empire is flawed and confusing. Add some Mods to it and you will get the true Total War experience. Empire is a daunting change from previous Total War installments but you will eventually get used to it. It is much more difficult to manage and empire and secure your borders due to settlements being spread out. Siege battles, which used to by my favorite part of a totalAs its own game, Empire is flawed and confusing. Add some Mods to it and you will get the true Total War experience. Empire is a daunting change from previous Total War installments but you will eventually get used to it. It is much more difficult to manage and empire and secure your borders due to settlements being spread out. Siege battles, which used to by my favorite part of a total war game, are boring and repetitive. It's still a fun game, but nowhere near as good as previous installments in the series. Expand
  75. Aug 15, 2012
    Fantastic infantry/cavalry/artillery/naval programming, I thoroughly enjoyed the grand campaign multiple times, and playing custom battles on both land and sea. Sadly the enemy AI appears quite basic, either you can run rings round them, or they relentlessly attack. The game is plagued by small bugs and glitches left in, since they weren't completely gamebreaking. But it's heartbreakingFantastic infantry/cavalry/artillery/naval programming, I thoroughly enjoyed the grand campaign multiple times, and playing custom battles on both land and sea. Sadly the enemy AI appears quite basic, either you can run rings round them, or they relentlessly attack. The game is plagued by small bugs and glitches left in, since they weren't completely gamebreaking. But it's heartbreaking that so many weren't fixed, making this a flawed experience. The worst one is a memory leak, reducing frame rates massively, very frustrating. Sometimes I'd rather play Imperial War instead. Expand
  76. Aug 15, 2012
    Beta game is what popped to mind when I first installed and played this game when it came out. How the #$@%! did this pass QA? Even to this day, after several patches, I can
  77. Aug 13, 2012
    By time I played this game, they seemed to have sorted out most of the major bugs, for I didn't have much trouble at all playing Empire. I found it to be a good game overall, with a mix of great improvements and disappointing letdowns. The available world is at least twice as large as that of previous titles, as this game introduces North and Central America and the Indian subcontinent toBy time I played this game, they seemed to have sorted out most of the major bugs, for I didn't have much trouble at all playing Empire. I found it to be a good game overall, with a mix of great improvements and disappointing letdowns. The available world is at least twice as large as that of previous titles, as this game introduces North and Central America and the Indian subcontinent to the playable map (as well as a few more distant trade destinations). This gives much more potential territory to conquer and enemies to face, though it has the downside of requiring you to spread further and quicker than in previous games in order to win the campaign. Diplomacy is further developed from earlier games, and there is now much more incentive to be a faithful ally or honest enemy--although countries tend to have the annoying habit of hating you forever once you go to war with them. The introduction of the research system is nice, since it gives you another way to gain (or lose!) the edge against your rivals, and the ability to buy, sell, trade, or steal research can be handy. The battles are somewhat different in this game, since many units now use guns of various sorts, but Empire follows the same basic style as previous titles. I loved the addition of defensive works for besieging armies (mines, trenches, stakes, etc.), which allow one to prepare for counterattacks, as well as the ability of most infantry to use stone walls as cover. There is a pretty good diversity of unit times in this game (especially if you have the DLC unit packs), and this is keenly seen in the vastly improved array of ship types, which make the naval theater much more exciting. For the first time, players can choose to control their fleets directly during naval battles, allowing for strategy to play into the outcome instead of just numbers. Personally I gave up on figuring out the relatively complex controls for naval battles and just used the auto-decide, but I'm sure next time I play I'll find them easier. There are too many other aspects of this game which I'd like to mention, but I'll leave those to others and just say that this game is definitely worth playing if you are a fan of the Total War franchise, and even if not, I'd recommend giving it a shot. Expand
  78. Aug 13, 2012
    Let me start on the positive side. This game is an absolute MUST for strategy gamers. Excellent total war combination of great battles with turn based strategy inbetween. The main reason I gave the game a 6 though, is that it is very unpolished. From poor AI to awful diplomacy, the game needs a little help. The only reason I'm writing this review is to inform people that with DarthVader'sLet me start on the positive side. This game is an absolute MUST for strategy gamers. Excellent total war combination of great battles with turn based strategy inbetween. The main reason I gave the game a 6 though, is that it is very unpolished. From poor AI to awful diplomacy, the game needs a little help. The only reason I'm writing this review is to inform people that with DarthVader's mod (called DarthMod) this game is an absolute 10. Look up his mod, it is by far and away the most popular, and it sets out to fix all of the things that keep this game from being scored higher. You will NOT be disappointed. Expand
  79. Jul 24, 2012
    Fans don't give this game the due credit it deserves. Not only did it save CA from bankruptcy, but it also revitalized the Total War series by offering a new, original take on 18th Century warfare. It's Naval combat is unprecedented in and almost bar none compared to any and all other naval combat games taking place in the 18th century and it's new diplomacy and tech tree mechanics workFans don't give this game the due credit it deserves. Not only did it save CA from bankruptcy, but it also revitalized the Total War series by offering a new, original take on 18th Century warfare. It's Naval combat is unprecedented in and almost bar none compared to any and all other naval combat games taking place in the 18th century and it's new diplomacy and tech tree mechanics work nearly flawlessly in their functionality.

The gameplay, oh the gameplay, theres a vast amount of tactics and strategies you can devise against opponents, some nations requiring a different approach because of their methods of warfare and tech. It offers more interactive and varied approach to the campaign, offering a wide amount of variation from not only nation to nation, but region to region as to what you use each one for, be it for military, economic, or even technological advances to your country, or perhaps enhancing its national prestige.
  80. Jul 23, 2012
    Pretty much the best RTS available to date. Easy to pick up, fun to experiment with. Great battles both land and see. Great to play skirmish with a friend. Heaps of different ways to play the game. A great way to learn the general geography and the way things were back in the 1700's. All in all a masterpiece when compared to the lame sci-fi style rts crap being pumped out these days. AndPretty much the best RTS available to date. Easy to pick up, fun to experiment with. Great battles both land and see. Great to play skirmish with a friend. Heaps of different ways to play the game. A great way to learn the general geography and the way things were back in the 1700's. All in all a masterpiece when compared to the lame sci-fi style rts crap being pumped out these days. And the graphics, especially for the boats are just inspirational. Its a beautiful enjoyable game! Fact. Expand
  81. Jun 8, 2012
    [First impressions] Steam and I have a complicated relationship: sometimes I see it as a smooth and intuitive way to manage games, whilst other times I curse it for my slow Internet and strange glitches. Anyway, back in 2009, I was causing Steam after I lost my first account and the ability to play Empire Total War. Recently, I managed to find my account and activate ETW; so here's a first[First impressions] Steam and I have a complicated relationship: sometimes I see it as a smooth and intuitive way to manage games, whilst other times I curse it for my slow Internet and strange glitches. Anyway, back in 2009, I was causing Steam after I lost my first account and the ability to play Empire Total War. Recently, I managed to find my account and activate ETW; so here's a first impression review. Empire is certainly quite spectacular with a heavier emphasis on gunpowder weapons and yet the stragegy has been lost somewhat now that your units use guns rather than physical weapons, making them less significant and somehow more dull than Medieval 2. The interface has been redesigned, and by that I mean it's completely incomprehensible thanks to the confusing styling and randomly rearranged functions. One of the most significant additions to the game is naval combat; so now you can actually fight the battle rather than clicking "auto-resolve" with every battle, followed by "clear defeat". The naval combat is spectacular, more so than land battles, but is virtually impossible to control. If you select a ship and right click on an enemy, they flat out don't attack; they just dither in circles while the enemy picks away at your hull. The world map isn't much better thanks to a confusing HUD and apparent lack of the flag colouring from Medieval 2 which made it much easier to tell which cities were weak and which we're overflowing. So, after first impressions; Empire Total War is spectacular and mind bending, but suffers from an unintuative interface and confusing AI. Expand
  82. Jun 3, 2012
    An original franchise, a fine game, but dumbed down from Medieval 2 Total War. More realism is better, not less. Multiplayer campaign mode would be nice.
  83. May 9, 2012
    Empire: Total War is a grand scale strategy game in which you play a major power approximately form 1700 to 1800. The game, like other total war games, switches between a turn based mode where you administrate your cities, move armies, do research and so on and a battle mode, where you take real time command of the troops fighting the battles of the turn based mode. The game is very prettyEmpire: Total War is a grand scale strategy game in which you play a major power approximately form 1700 to 1800. The game, like other total war games, switches between a turn based mode where you administrate your cities, move armies, do research and so on and a battle mode, where you take real time command of the troops fighting the battles of the turn based mode. The game is very pretty on a system that can run it, but has unreasonable resource demands. On a low-spec system the usage of sprites is very obvious and pretty horrible to look at. Much older games of the series (Rome, Medieval 2) looked better on such a system as they employed less sprites, and if your PC can run Empire to look good it can also run Shogun 2 to look better. Granted, it is awesome to watch a cannon ball plow through an infantry regiment. The muzzle loader infantry combat also looks very cool, but unfortunately the AI is very unimaginative with regards to using the armies, and what it does usually only amounts to a mass suicide. In older or newer Total War games the AI does much better. The AI also suffers from bugs - for instance when you shoot a hole in a fortress wall the AI might place a unit there and re-evaluate this unit's plans so often that it pushes a good (and way above recommended specs) CPU to the limit. Only way to get the game responsive again is to charge said unit - as soon as it is engaged in close combat the game will start flowing again. While the system for tech, buildings and such is way better than the older installments, Empire also lacks something the older games have: the ability to play as defeated minors. This limits the play time of the game very much, since you'll have access to the same majors beating up the same minors. The diplomatic AI also does a lot for making the game repetitive. Once you end up in war with some country you'll probably be at war till either is destroyed. Peace agreements last few turns since the AI feels very sore about having just lost a war against you decides to go lose another. On the other hand naval combat is very good with historically accurate ships, beautiful graphics and such. Best (and first) total war game for a naval battle in my experience. While Empire: Total War provides a good many hours of entertainment there are better Total War titles out there. I'd recommend playing them first. Expand
  84. May 6, 2012
    When this game first came out, I could understand the negative reviews, this was an unfinished game with too many bugs. But here we are 3 years later and the game has reached its full potential. Go download DarthMod or one of the many other great mods for this game and you have a masterpiece that, if reviewed again today, would receive many more 10 out of 10s. I have played all of theWhen this game first came out, I could understand the negative reviews, this was an unfinished game with too many bugs. But here we are 3 years later and the game has reached its full potential. Go download DarthMod or one of the many other great mods for this game and you have a masterpiece that, if reviewed again today, would receive many more 10 out of 10s. I have played all of the TW games and ETW is my favorite by measure of hours played (over 500). If you like the blend of risk, civilization, and great battles, then this game is a must have. Expand
  85. Mar 29, 2012
    I played every Total War release up till Empire. Rome was amazing, and had a Mod community in the hundreds of thousands. Empire, while visually stunning, was a heap of garbage once you get into the nuts and bolts of the game. While graphics have made vast improvements since Rome, Empire TW's diplomacy, combat mechanics, AI, reinforcement system, "ease of access" for modding, and siegeI played every Total War release up till Empire. Rome was amazing, and had a Mod community in the hundreds of thousands. Empire, while visually stunning, was a heap of garbage once you get into the nuts and bolts of the game. While graphics have made vast improvements since Rome, Empire TW's diplomacy, combat mechanics, AI, reinforcement system, "ease of access" for modding, and siege mechanics were a step backwards 10 years from Rome. I cannot for the life of me see how this game has a 90 rating. It's a candy coated lump of garbage. I have to laugh at all the PC gamer magazines that gave this game a 90+ or 100 rating. If you played any of the amazing Rome TW mods, you have to wonder why Creative Assembly decided to snub their noses at their modding community by making Empire so incredibly difficult to mod. In addition, Creative Assembly pretty much abandoned ship on fixing the infinite number of bugs and gave up on improvements for Empire, moving on to release an entirely new title Napoleon TW. As much as I loved the TW series, Empire was my last purchase from Creative Assembly. Expand
  86. Mar 27, 2012
    The graphics are beautiful, there is no doubting that. However everything else was a huge step backwards from TW:M2.

Rather than going to one place in every region now you have to click on a bunch of different areas. Haven't been able to figure out how to speed up the enemy or my own troop movement on the world map. In general I just can't stand this new version.
  87. Mar 22, 2012
    Now before i write this review, i must say that i, like many pc users, pirated this game so i could try it before i buy, so i have no bias from steam, even tho i have heard u need ot download the game off steam just to play, using steam isent bad, and the servers are almost always up, the **** about them constantly down is ****.

Anyways... this game is horrible. The idea of guns sounds

Anyways... this game is horrible. The idea of guns sounds good, but the realistic shooting is INCREDIBLY annoying, the soldiers have to line up just to shoot and then take 1 million years to miss and reload, AND THATS THE BEST SOLDIERS.
    You can no longer edit map in custom battles (choose settlement size and other things).
    The soldiers are useless, the first battle in road to independence was horrible since it shows that the guys using swords and arrows are more powerful then the guys using guns.

The game doesent crash NEARLY as much as people say, if the game isent starting, its because ur computer cant handle the graphics which btw is way higher then specified. Graphics look great even tho my pc lags if i zoom in.

AI is the worst in the series, soldiers dont do a dam thing i say.

Dont buy this game, thank god i pirated before i bought or id of been scamed by ****. Also people insulting game, dont say its bad just because it needs steam to play, steam aint that bad and ive never had a game that i couldent install from disk that required steam, it just still needs to patchs, although i dont know if ur arguement on that is valid.
  88. Mar 19, 2012
    This is a strategy game. You will have to defend and expand your empire to get a victory. But this is not easy, you will have to manage city tax policies, deal with revolts, use religion to convert population to the one of you're empire, deal with happiness of cities, train land and naval units, use research to develop technology (by constructing science buildings in cities) and otherThis is a strategy game. You will have to defend and expand your empire to get a victory. But this is not easy, you will have to manage city tax policies, deal with revolts, use religion to convert population to the one of you're empire, deal with happiness of cities, train land and naval units, use research to develop technology (by constructing science buildings in cities) and other complex things typical of strategy games. This series of Total War games is special because in here you can manually fight your battles. What i mean is that if you choose to fight an army with your army (or whatever) you have 2 choices: 1) Auto resolve: based on your unit strength stats against the enemy unit strength stats (and other factor like terrain) one will automatically emerge victorious. And 2) you will fight the war yourself. You will direct your units in real time in the battlefield.

You have several Empires to select from. Just to name a few: Spain, England, Russia...etc. But you are not in a modern era setting. The game starts somewhere (i don't exactly remember) in the 1750's. So you have to make use of archers, catapults and swordsmen (althought in time you will be able to use cannons and some rifle units) to fight your way to victory. This game is almost as good as Rome: Total War.

Enjoy!
  89. Mar 10, 2012
    I just finished playing another long campaign in this game after having reinstalled it again some weeks ago and so I thought I should do a review of this game, having played it for over 350 hours in all.
    This is one epic game overall. The move to the age of muskets, rifles and cannons is a very welcome addition to the Total War franchise. The real time battles are stunningly awesome. Both land and sea battles are fun to play. They have really great graphics and seeing your units and ships fire off volleys of death never gets old. The campaign map is also nice and works smoothly most of the time. Sound is great throughout the whole game from the soundtrack to the sound of cannon fire to the command acknowledgements of your units. UI looks great and is very friendly.
    I would say Empire is definitely on par with Rome and Medieval2 when it comes to Total War games and epicness and awesomeness. There are a few annoyances with the game though of course. The well documented initial legion of bugs that the game was released with are now mostly gone but you can still get some CTDs occasionally. Diplomacy and AI leave a lot to be desired but what else is new about Total War games? Rakes are almost useless, small ships fire longer than bigger ships, some factions have too few unique units, France is represented by a single region etc etc. There are a lot of minor stuff that you can complain about but with a game this big in scope it is only natural.
    Empire: Total War is one of my favorite games from recent years and I probably won't stop playing it until I have played all the major factions in it.
  90. Mar 9, 2012
    At the first months after release the ammount of bugs really ruined the game, but now after 4 years, the game does give justice to the Total War series. The only issue is lack of mod tools, being the reason that i took one point of its score (was going to give it a 8) but even without mod tools DarthMod does a great job at making a total overhaul of the game gameplay, graphics, scale andAt the first months after release the ammount of bugs really ruined the game, but now after 4 years, the game does give justice to the Total War series. The only issue is lack of mod tools, being the reason that i took one point of its score (was going to give it a 8) but even without mod tools DarthMod does a great job at making a total overhaul of the game gameplay, graphics, scale and other elements! Expand
  91. Mar 6, 2012
    Fantastic game, seriously. I have spent approximately 600 hours on and off playing this game since release and I still keep coming back to it. I only had a couple of issues with it, both of which were easily fixed by modding. The amount of turns in any given game is woefully low (only 200 turns, this is true for all Total War games and is really not enough). The other issue for me wasFantastic game, seriously. I have spent approximately 600 hours on and off playing this game since release and I still keep coming back to it. I only had a couple of issues with it, both of which were easily fixed by modding. The amount of turns in any given game is woefully low (only 200 turns, this is true for all Total War games and is really not enough). The other issue for me was the unit sizes, the battles felt more like skirmishes as opposed proper epic battles. I would still recommend it to any fans of the Total War series. It's probably my favorite after Medieval II. Expand
  92. Feb 12, 2012
    This was my first Total War game and one of my very first pc games. Overall this is a fun game that includes much planning and strategy in order to succeed in. There are many different nation to choose and campaigns to play which adds a lot of variety to the overall gameplay. The multiplayer is fun but a bit glitchy like failing to join a game or random freezes and disconnections. YourThis was my first Total War game and one of my very first pc games. Overall this is a fun game that includes much planning and strategy in order to succeed in. There are many different nation to choose and campaigns to play which adds a lot of variety to the overall gameplay. The multiplayer is fun but a bit glitchy like failing to join a game or random freezes and disconnections. Your units in battle will sometimes not respond to commands. Although this is annoying this is still a great game and worth your 20 bucks on steam. Expand
  93. Feb 4, 2012
    Great strategy game, adds a new perspective while maintaining a fast-paced epic gameplay. Sea battles may be slow, but it's more realistic that way, even if we would like it to be faster. The land battles are great, but the campaign could use some work. Also, the trading system was descent. Though there may be a some flaws, the good outweighs the bad.
  94. Jan 30, 2012
    Many of the reviews here are either graphics bugs based on ones system or lag. This game uses shader models that impact animations and almost the game's entire system. For those who's graphics cards can run SM3, but seem to have graphical issues or lag. Change it to SM3 Low, or SM2 on which I play it on.
    Performance is now perfect for me and my frames hardly fall with battles unit sizes on Ultra and everything except grass turned in basic settings.

Gameplay- If your a die hard veteran of the Total War franchise, you may find yourself a tad disappointing based on your preferences. The previous games have all been either Medieval or Ancient warfare from Thermopylae or the Fields of Agincourt. This game is the Imperialistic expansion of Europe to the new world and setting a foot hold in India. This game takes some serious strategy both on the game map in turn based strategy to the real-time battles of heated combat the series is so known for. Muskets, cannons, and cavalry, placing is key and making units work together well is required for a less costly victory or victory at all. The Naval combat which was unheard from the previous titles is now in real time rather then CPU calculated and auto-resolved. Whilst you can still do this, I find some of the most fun is the naval combat, that hair raising moment of pulling off a well timed broadside strike can seriously cause some eye satisfying carnage. This game holds up to the franchise. I have had absolutely count it ZERO crashes, and minimal graphic issues, with some common sense and tweaking this game runs like a dream. The modding community has also made the improvements to the game that it should have had at launch, including better fire and smoke textures, and improved naval combat. One such mod is the well known DARTHMOD, playing this game turns the already wonderful vanilla game into a perfect RTS with even more satisfying combat, fixing the inconsistencies the game suffered from beforehand. This game is a gem, and to anyone suffering issues with the game, I don't know what to say to you, complaining about it won't help, consulting these issues on forums like Total War center is highly advised. This game is to good to miss out on because of some graphical issues or bugs, the community is there to help.
  95. Jan 15, 2012
    This game is immensely fun. I have played this game in total for 144 hours so I think I have played this long enough to rate it. I enjoy the units it has, It adds a new difficulty to assaulting forts. It adds a new dimension, Sea warfare, and that is probably the highlight for me. I have had ZERO issues with the game crashing and lagging. I love this game, and i still play it. It may notThis game is immensely fun. I have played this game in total for 144 hours so I think I have played this long enough to rate it. I enjoy the units it has, It adds a new difficulty to assaulting forts. It adds a new dimension, Sea warfare, and that is probably the highlight for me. I have had ZERO issues with the game crashing and lagging. I love this game, and i still play it. It may not be the most realistic in terms of warfare, diplomacy etc, but I still like it. Expand
  96. Jan 6, 2012
    I am very surprised at the user score for this game. This is a step up in graphics, and the game involves a different kind of strategy this time around. My pc died and choked to death on the campaign map at 1080p max settings. Endless replayability, great animations, top notch gameplay. Haters get out!
  97. Dec 30, 2011
    The Total War series have always impressed me, mainly due to their vast size, complexity and attention to detail. Empire Total War raises the bar even higher with its absolutely HUGE map size, its meaningful strategy and addictive gameplay. Truly one of the most immersive and engrossing strategy games ever made.
  98. sdg
    Dec 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall Good Game. Positives: Vast map. Naval battles. Huge scale of combat across continents. Negatives: The economy system early on is a pain, especially in higher difficulties. Often, the Enemy AI is not very smart (will rush cannon's loading grape shots). Negotiations and Diplomacy options are limited. AI acts illogically diplomatically if higher difficulties (will declare war even when at highly disadvantageous position). Lastly, no FBR skill for Maratha's. Expand
  99. Dec 17, 2011
    I would have given this game a 10, but when I play a grand campaign it will after a period of time crash to desktop. I could handle this, unfortunately it gets worse. When I load the game back up and try to load my last saved game, it crashes again! I can't continue my game from the initial crash. Every saved game crashes. I have tried every fix I could find on internet forums to no avail.I would have given this game a 10, but when I play a grand campaign it will after a period of time crash to desktop. I could handle this, unfortunately it gets worse. When I load the game back up and try to load my last saved game, it crashes again! I can't continue my game from the initial crash. Every saved game crashes. I have tried every fix I could find on internet forums to no avail.

Really, what a pile of crap game. I am glad I only grabbed it from steam really cheap because if I paid a fair sum I would be really pissed off. Still what a rip off! Years after its release and it still doesn't work.
  100. Dec 15, 2011
    Meh. This game had a lot of potential, and that's probably a big part of the reason that it wasn't able to go through with all of it. Going down the list, everything was "fine." The strategy hadn't changed much, neither had pretty much anything else. The game was basically a polished version of Medieval II, which was a plus, but it came out shortly before Napoleon, which started theMeh. This game had a lot of potential, and that's probably a big part of the reason that it wasn't able to go through with all of it. Going down the list, everything was "fine." The strategy hadn't changed much, neither had pretty much anything else. The game was basically a polished version of Medieval II, which was a plus, but it came out shortly before Napoleon, which started the process of obsolescence early. I had just finished Rome when I started Empire, so I saw a lot of rough edges and dubious plausibilities. Expand

1. Astonishing...Immense... A strategy masterwork. [Mar 2009, p.54]
  2. In some ways, it's the closest we've come to the enormous social novel from the period after that which Empire chronicles: it's a Tolstoy-esque War and Peace of a game. Its problems may be the inevitable problems of trying something with such sheer scope. As such, if you want the breathtaking vision of the game, you have to accept the flaws in the details - for now, at least.
  3. This is the best Total War game thanks to all the little tweaks. Sometimes little differences make a good game great. The battles ask of you that you think more about your actions and managing your empire never was easier. The sea battles are fun to watch, but are a little hard to control. Nevertheless, Empire: Total War is a game that can make you forget about the time.