Endless Space: Disharmony PC

6.7

1. Feb 21, 2014
    Overall I like this game, and I didn't get married to the original so I welcomed the changes. Playing on Hard the AI seems interesting and the game has enough depth to keep me playing. I'm going to focus more on the things I'd like changed since the positives largely carry over from the original.

The main issue with the original was that one or two techs in the military branch would translate to a huge military power imbalance for fleets. In one game in the original I used one fleet with 16k military power to destroy 10 fleets with 12k military power over several turns. That kind of seems absurd if you think about... especially that their combined military power is an order of magnitude more than mine.

The expansion takes care of that issue somewhat because the jumps are not as significant. But I'd like to see a moral booster applied from having friendly fleets in the system with you. For example, improve weapon accuracy by some % depending on the number and strength of other fleets in the system. This way having more fleets actually means something other than creating a lineup of suicides.

The second issue is still the same from the original, and it's the fact that the start grouping of systems has a HUGE impact on the overall flow of the game. From one game to the next you can be top dog or nothing simply because within your wormhole separated cluster (isolated area of space you start off in before you research wormhole tech) there are "good" or "bad" systems. For example, when you start with a few systems with 5+ planets where 1-2 are large terran/jungle/ocean planets you can colonize fast and get your production and research to skyrocket really quickly. This snowballs because you can subsequently colonize/terraform harder planets way more quickly than usual. On the flip side, there are games when only my home system is worth anything early on and it's no surprise I end up last in ranking pretty early on. The galaxy randomness needs to be tweeked to ensure that each empire has equally easy/hard access to a few good systems. This applies to both human and AI empires.

It seems like I outlined a bunch of negatives, but in summary I'm really just focusing on the stuff I'd like fixed to give this game that extra sweet quality. I like all the civ differences, the tech trees, the planet terraforming and colonization and all that jazz. It's a great strategy game that only lacks balance sometimes if and only if the random galaxy generation fails, it doesn't happen very often though.

1. PC PowerPlay
    Aug 27, 2013
    Disharmony's content is either so buggy or poorly designed that the expansion pack offers an inferior 4X experience to the vanilla of Endless Space. [Sept 2013, p.84]
  2. PC Gamer
    Aug 16, 2013
    A significant upgrade, supported by a clever eye for tactical diversity. An eye that is sadly poked by uneven execution. [Oct 2013, p.74]
  3. Aug 6, 2013
    Disharmony is the next step in the development of Endless Space. It is not big even if you count new research options, heroes and buildings, but still, you’ll get a lot of nice stuff for your 10 bucks.