8.4

1. Emil
    Nov 2, 2007
    Biggest plus for this game...maps will not get boring. So many different tactics to use. Longevity = Very very high!
  2. SvenF.
    Dec 5, 2007
    Big, fast, intelligent teamwork action. pure fun.
  3. DickC.
    Oct 7, 2007
    Best multiplayer FPS in years. The level design, class balance, and sheer amount of tactical choices is staggering. It's Wolfenstein Enemy Territory's objective game play on steroids. The deployables add a RTS element that no other MP FPS has achieved. ETQW takes old school FPS shooting skill and new era team based strategy games to a new level. Graphics are good but not mind Best multiplayer FPS in years. The level design, class balance, and sheer amount of tactical choices is staggering. It's Wolfenstein Enemy Territory's objective game play on steroids. The deployables add a RTS element that no other MP FPS has achieved. ETQW takes old school FPS shooting skill and new era team based strategy games to a new level. Graphics are good but not mind blowing. On maximum settings, they will not disappoint unless you're the most jaded of graphics whores, and expect it to compete with Crysis. But unlike that game, it doesn't require SLI 8800GTX to look good and perform well. The lighting on levels like Island and the Ark is breath taking. The sound effects are great but the voice overs are intentionally campy, so that point is lost on some. But the most important element, gameplay, has been polished to perfection. Watch the game trailers.com video review for an idea of what to expect. Take the ridiculously low (3,4,5) user scored reviews with a grain of salt. Typical complaints include "too confusing" and "too fast". Hardcore and casual players a like will love this game. Nothing has as much excitement. No other game gives you this much sense of accomplishment when you manage to diffuse a bomb with 10 seconds left in the match, or conversely hack the final objective for your team taking all the glory. I used to love simple CTF type games, but not anymore. They're all so boring compared to ETQW. And the best part is it's just beginning. This series has extensive community and mod support. I can't wait to see what next year will bring to this game. Do yourself a favor and register on the official community forum and find out why you need to buy this game ASAP. Expand
    Oct 7, 2007
    I think Peter K. summed it up best in his review when he said, "Not outstanding in any single category, but it comes together as a solid team, objective-based shooter. A great sequel to Wolfenstien:ET and better than any other team FPS out there - hands down". In my opinion it's not quite as high as a 9 but it's definitely higher than an 8. I think it deserves something around I think Peter K. summed it up best in his review when he said, "Not outstanding in any single category, but it comes together as a solid team, objective-based shooter. A great sequel to Wolfenstien:ET and better than any other team FPS out there - hands down". In my opinion it's not quite as high as a 9 but it's definitely higher than an 8. I think it deserves something around an 8.5 so I'll round it up to a 9. Expand
  5. KaskaM.
    Mar 3, 2008
    Best MP game I played.
  6. PatrickB.
    Apr 20, 2008
    Must be the best online teamwork first shooter game of the moment!!
  7. RobertoO.
    Apr 2, 2008
    Excellent multiplayer FPS shooter. Much more in depth than CS:S and CoD4 and much more action packed than the Battlefield games. Definitely a game that requires more skill than most FPS which might put some people off who want to be at the top 5 minutes after playing it.
  8. MathieuR
    Dec 25, 2009
    Very fun. I think it gives Battlefield 2 a run for it's money. You may have to switch classes a lot, but otherwise very fun. Requires a decent PC.
  9. Dalek
    Aug 3, 2009
    This game is really fun! I remember playing this at a LAN before on the demo, great fun. I played the demo alot to. The graphics are ok for 2007, but they could had done better. The missions are fun so you don't need to do the same thing over and over. Online: It is fun, the players aren't impossible to kill like in CS 1.6 - there are some Quake 3 sounds in there to.
  10. arnysirplus
    Sep 9, 2009
    No game gets a 10 - but playing GDF with a good team on your side totally rocks - awesome.
  11. RobertD.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Best game that I've played plus better than the other battlefield games.
  12. Alex
    Oct 10, 2007
    Maybe the best multiplayer fps game. A must for every fan of the quake series who wants more than deathmatch.
  13. TillG.
    Oct 2, 2007
    Its a fast Team Shooter. Nice Missions, Nice Graphics and very nice Gameplay.
  14. DaveH.
    Oct 31, 2007
    Amazing in general, the game exceeds all that I thought it would. The AI are brilliant so even when you are not playing online, you still have a challenge if you so choose it! A Must Get!
  15. KG
    Oct 6, 2007
    As of October 2007 this is the best Multiplayer First Person Shooter currently available. The graphics are just awesome. Megatextures create snowcapped peaks and incredible lush green valleys the way the artist originally intended. Draw distances are unmatched by any game besides Armed Assault. Shader effects are used heavily and to good effect. Sound is also excellent, hard hitting and As of October 2007 this is the best Multiplayer First Person Shooter currently available. The graphics are just awesome. Megatextures create snowcapped peaks and incredible lush green valleys the way the artist originally intended. Draw distances are unmatched by any game besides Armed Assault. Shader effects are used heavily and to good effect. Sound is also excellent, hard hitting and appropriate. Vehicle and character models are well animated excepting the lack of ragdolls. In the great framerates you get with low end hardware justify this, but it's too bad you can't see your enemy flop down a hill after a railgun hit. You really have to pay attention to the sounds around you to stay alive. Gameplay is the area where Quake Wars utterly decimates its competition. Objective based campaigns are an incredible breath of fresh air compared to the capture the flag style games that have come before and look set to be coming soon. The varied classes and weapons, not to mention the several kinds of deployables create a high speed game of rock paper scissors that adds a whole metagame above the already satisfying raw shooting action. The objective style gameplay and many and varied styles of play can put people who like simpler one dimensional fare such as Battlefield or Team Fortress off, but in the end the player who likes to be challenged will love it. Collapse
  16. BackDraft
    Oct 6, 2007
    Seems like some people here have misplaced expectations about this game. This is an EVOLUTION of the Enemy Territory franchise, and only uses the Quake universe as a backdrop. This game takes may not a bit longer to pick up but when you do you will be having a blast. The graphics are fine for a game built on the Doom3 engine. It's nothing groundbreaking like Crysis but for a game Seems like some people here have misplaced expectations about this game. This is an EVOLUTION of the Enemy Territory franchise, and only uses the Quake universe as a backdrop. This game takes may not a bit longer to pick up but when you do you will be having a blast. The graphics are fine for a game built on the Doom3 engine. It's nothing groundbreaking like Crysis but for a game that has emphasis on gameplay you will be surprised how well they work. Check out this thread for some usermade in-game screenshots: http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6405 Overall, if you enjoyed the MP aspect of RTCW and Wolfenstein: ET, then you will enjoy this game. Expand
  17. EirikB.
    Oct 9, 2007
    This is the perfect tactical online shooter - for those that like it fast! As a long-time fan of the original ET, I was very pleasantly surprised by how well QW maintained the gameplay from its predecessor, while still managing to have lots of new interesting gadgets, tactics, weapons - and vehicles; all of which add to the experience. Nothing is overpowered, and if a powerful threat is This is the perfect tactical online shooter - for those that like it fast! As a long-time fan of the original ET, I was very pleasantly surprised by how well QW maintained the gameplay from its predecessor, while still managing to have lots of new interesting gadgets, tactics, weapons - and vehicles; all of which add to the experience. Nothing is overpowered, and if a powerful threat is encountered, there are many, many ways to counter it. No more of the vehicle-whoring that the Battlefield series are known for! Give this a try! Expand
  18. JonT.
    Oct 9, 2007
    Having been a FPS fan and player for many years, I have to say this is quite possibly the most fun and the most engaging game I have ever played. Although at first things can seem a little confusing or daunting, given a little time, practice and education the game truly opens up and flourishes. It is a perfect follow up to Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and should not be confused as a follow Having been a FPS fan and player for many years, I have to say this is quite possibly the most fun and the most engaging game I have ever played. Although at first things can seem a little confusing or daunting, given a little time, practice and education the game truly opens up and flourishes. It is a perfect follow up to Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and should not be confused as a follow up to Quake, even if it does use the Quake universe as the basis for the game. Once you have established the basics of the game (point and shoot ;o) you will find yourself investigating the game further. Each team (GDF or Strogg) has a selection of classes to play as, following the same format as W:ET. This shifts the emphasis to team play as each team will require specific class characters to complete certain missions or objectives. There are differences between each side, but these should be explored and not read about on any forum/review. I will say however, I never expected playing as a Strogg would be so shocking...truly 'Mortyfying' ;o) Happy fraggin. Expand
  19. AnthonyW.
    Oct 9, 2007
    Awesome Game! Graphics Stunning, Great Game play and unique team balancing. Mega-Textures make a whole new environment and for iD it makes a new beginning to stunning games!
  20. ViktorL.
    Feb 13, 2008
    Awesome game. The best teamwork game ever. Nice graphics, good sounds, and as I said, so AWESOME teamplay! Best FPS I ever seen!
  21. AndrewN.
    Apr 10, 2008
    The new leader in the strategic online fbs market. Battlefield has lost its crown!
  22. QasimF.
    Apr 5, 2008
    I am a huge Quake fan with owning all the other 4 + expansion packs wen i played this game I was like WOW!! its much betta dan battlefield and other mp games and i think its better than TF2 what a game its got everything u need good graphics intelligent AI this game is supererb and is very hard once u on on the hard levels.
  23. Chris
    Jun 10, 2008
    This game's learning curve is a little steap and the tutorial doesn't help much in this regard either. This is a word of advice, get the game, study it in single player before going online or you'll think you made a mistake buying this. In the end it sums up to this: If you are like and thought Battlefield flag capturing system was crap and ruined the game, get this. It This game's learning curve is a little steap and the tutorial doesn't help much in this regard either. This is a word of advice, get the game, study it in single player before going online or you'll think you made a mistake buying this. In the end it sums up to this: If you are like and thought Battlefield flag capturing system was crap and ruined the game, get this. It draws people into areas and makes combat as beautifull and rewarding as it can get. Every class has it's role and every class is very fun to play. I'm giving it only an 8 because after the 1.5 patch, developers will not support the game anymore, furthermore, even if the tools are there, modding and creating maps for this game requires really talented people. Enjoy, I know I did! Expand
  24. CarlM.
    Aug 14, 2008
    Simply one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences i've ever come across. Spend the time to get to know it, with practice this is game can be a very rewarding experience.
  25. noNameN
    Aug 24, 2008
    Good game, Very good game, this FPS game I had played is AWESOME, but I hate it when the players show off and go solo then leave me alone and get killed by either sides btw GG
  26. DanM.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Well pretty much what i was expecting, great game, reminds me a lot of the Wallenstein enemy territory. Just lacking some of the original quake weaponry.
  27. A.Nonymous
    Oct 14, 2007
    Ironically, people who condemn this game as "too frantic" will most likely go on to play Halo 3, Battlefield 2 and Team Fortress 2. Not that those are necessarily bad games, but they surely cannot be described as placcid. With imaginative designs, specialised classes and intense firefights, Quake Wars is everything Battlefield 2142 wanted to be; inspiring.
  28. sha1dy.
    Oct 15, 2007
    ET:QW is a best team MP game released this year.
  29. Cpt.Mike
    Oct 18, 2007
    Strategy is awesome, is really the first game to come around that actually forces teams to work together on a goal. I have become so bored with the shoot um up games that have no depth. This game builds camaraderie within your team to complete goals. Thanks ID for the terrific game.
  30. ScottF.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Excellent game. A lot of long term playability
  31. PeterK.
    Oct 3, 2007
    Not outstanding in any single category, but it comes together as a solid team, objective-based shooter. A great sequel to Wolfenstien:ET and better than any other team FPS out there - hands down.
  32. JonS.
    Oct 8, 2007
    Most tactical shooter released ever. There's no place for rambo players in this game. Teamwork skills win matches every time, which is why so many people seem to dislike it. If you don't stay with and support your team,you die. Quickly. Me? I love it, though I still haven't learnt all the maps, so it's confusing as hell. But the demo map valley really grew on you, and Most tactical shooter released ever. There's no place for rambo players in this game. Teamwork skills win matches every time, which is why so many people seem to dislike it. If you don't stay with and support your team,you die. Quickly. Me? I love it, though I still haven't learnt all the maps, so it's confusing as hell. But the demo map valley really grew on you, and I expect the other maps to do the same. Expand
  33. DavidS.
    Aug 18, 2008
    Really smooth game play and excellent atmosphere! 100% worth buying.
  34. LeeW.
    Jul 3, 2009
    There are many complaints against this game on the internet and after reading most of them, I have come to the conclusion that if you suck at it, you won't like it. This game isn't plug and play like Team Fortress 2 and whatever the cool kids like these days. It's best to play on a small server first to learn the basic classes and have small matches. After the player builds There are many complaints against this game on the internet and after reading most of them, I have come to the conclusion that if you suck at it, you won't like it. This game isn't plug and play like Team Fortress 2 and whatever the cool kids like these days. It's best to play on a small server first to learn the basic classes and have small matches. After the player builds skill in certain classes they can enjoy a good big game. As said earlier, this is not Team Fortress 2 where you'd have to capture the flag (or, rather, intelligence cases) or control points. It's more of a mixture of both, where certain classes need protection while they complete a certain objective, and therefore, major teamwork is required. The gameplay is both tactical and fastpaced, delivering almost Quake-like player physics at times. Each class has different weapons from which they can choose. There is a somewhat limited election but all the weapons are nicely constructed. The graphics are good. They're not something major beauty but the landscapes are fantastic, the models are pretty detailed, and the animations are good. The problem sort of is that the animations don't have many transitions into one another and there aren't any ragdoll physics. The weather effects are beautiful but the major weapon effects like orbital beam strikes aren't up to par with what was established by 2007. The controls are responsive and some micromanagement for certain actions is required but is unavoidable in a game of this caliber. However, you may find yourself fighting Quake veterans such as myself which can be hard, so taking a tutorial the first time or fighting against bots (which are well-programmed and pretty smart) for a few rounds is recommended. As for sound, the music is fantastic but unfortunately only populates the main menus and loading screens. The voice acting is sort of roaring but not too annoying. The weapon sounds are good and there are pretty neat nature sounds. All in all, if you follow the ideals of id Software multiplayer, you'll have a shot at having fun. Expand
  35. miket
    Sep 22, 2009
    PURE AWESOME! Steep learning curve, but so WORTH learning. Might take you like 20 hours to figure out classes, maps, objectives, stick with it and you will see what a TEAM based game is supposed to be. First time you blow an objective with 30 sec left, you will understand.
  36. ChrisR.
    Oct 11, 2007
    Brilliant fun! It does have a little bit of a learning curve, but once you got it down, its an absolute blast. Team work really does help in this game. And all players really need to play to their classes strength for a team to win. It runs well, and I have had absolutely no technical problems. Its fast paced and a great way to pass the time. Go buy it!
  37. MattJ.
    Nov 14, 2007
    This game never gets boring. The different classes and weapons provide endless action throughout the highly detailed maps. The new addition of voice makes Quake Wars well organized and better than any console systems out there.
  38. MKKJ
    Dec 17, 2007
    This is the best buy i've done since i bought Half-life 1 (to get cs ;)), the gameplay is amazingly versatile. I keep on finding new spots to camp, finding new tactics and new things to have fun with ingame (mines on vehicles ftw :P). 20 Hours played and rising :)
  39. DaveW
    Aug 25, 2007
    I honestly believe this is going to be the best team FPS ever. Simply from playing the beta it is clear that Splash Damage have taken team based multiplayer FPS to the next level. It is rare to find a team fps that is a joy to play in a public server. The reason QW manages to do this is by rewarding individuals for team oriented goals, and focusing the action. It also provides immenseI honestly believe this is going to be the best team FPS ever. Simply from playing the beta it is clear that Splash Damage have taken team based multiplayer FPS to the next level. It is rare to find a team fps that is a joy to play in a public server. The reason QW manages to do this is by rewarding individuals for team oriented goals, and focusing the action. It also provides immense strategical depth for organised clan play. Oh and, even in the beta, the netcode is the best I have ever witnessed... Expand
  40. AD
    Jan 16, 2008
    best online shooter i've played in years. the classes and maps were carefully designed with balance in mind. as to N.K.'s comment, game has plenty of people online, hit the word players twice after you get a server list. it puts the populated servers at the top of the list. realize people use this site seriously so don't post trash reviews.
  41. MikeN.
    Feb 12, 2008
    Amazing game, its like wolf et, Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 4 with some quake thrown in. Freakin awesome!
  42. SullivanR.
    Feb 28, 2008
    The best online shooter since Team Fortress Classic!
  43. HolyM.
    Feb 29, 2008
    Balanced gameplay, beautiful graphics, runs natively on Linux, perfect mix of tactics, team play, and fast paced fraggin'. 'Nuff said.
  44. Josue
    May 29, 2008
    Excelente game, FS & strategy, all in one.
  45. theunknownsith
    May 19, 2009
    If you are a major Quake fan like I am, then this game is just perfect for you! With all the hidden features you keep finding during you experience in playing, the experience it self is also amazing. Extreme visuals, endless hours of game play, and a competitive ranking system. I just love it!
  46. theunknownsith
    Nov 11, 2007
    For being a long term Quake fan, from Quake 1 to Quake 4, this game has it all! All the weapons, vehicles, and locations from the former games. Very detailed graphics! If you don't own a 6800 geforce graphics card and at least 1 gig of ram, then you are a noob gamer and you don't even know what the word Quake means in gaming. This game is easily customizable with pure: off and For being a long term Quake fan, from Quake 1 to Quake 4, this game has it all! All the weapons, vehicles, and locations from the former games. Very detailed graphics! If you don't own a 6800 geforce graphics card and at least 1 gig of ram, then you are a noob gamer and you don't even know what the word Quake means in gaming. This game is easily customizable with pure: off and server side mods: on! I LOVE IT!!!! Map making is also awesome. Remakes of quake 1 maps are very fun to play with vehicles! Expand
  47. KimO.
    Dec 16, 2007
    I like the mix of strategy, teamplay and combat.
  48. Sep 24, 2010
    splendid game plenty of weapons to chose from well balanced nice vehicles many classes varied maps a truly teamwork game unlike some new releases that try to capture what etqw does best i mean just look how much fun do you have using the cyclop
  49. JasonL.
    Oct 3, 2007
    I was so geared up for this game. Quake with objectives, vehicles and mass war. All the screen shots looked awesome and Carmack was talking about mega textures. Well when I played the demo, I was really upset. WTF is this game? Its production values are so low, I couldn't believe it was part of the Quake license. It seems unfinished or half made. The sounds are weak and are way too I was so geared up for this game. Quake with objectives, vehicles and mass war. All the screen shots looked awesome and Carmack was talking about mega textures. Well when I played the demo, I was really upset. WTF is this game? Its production values are so low, I couldn't believe it was part of the Quake license. It seems unfinished or half made. The sounds are weak and are way too generic. The models are dodge. The megatexture is megacrap. The vehicles suck really badly. The guns are boring. The action is fast paced in the way a rotten tomato flying at a brick wall is fast paced. The game is confusing and horrible. I don't think I have EVER had such a negative reaction to a game. Are these critics reviewing the same game? Or did a different version get sent to them? I hate to put down something that has obviously taken a lot of time and effort, but I really can't stand this game. It certainly isn't ground breaking, more like stomach churning. I think it stinks. Expand
  50. Jun 20, 2012
    Ok so its 5 years later and Quake Wars is still, in my opinion, one of the most original, solid team based shooters on the PC. Team work is REQUIRED to complete objectives and teams that dont cooperate really stand out from the crowd. If I had to complain about something it would be that there are slight imbalances between strogg and GDF classes, but this is realistic as both sides areOk so its 5 years later and Quake Wars is still, in my opinion, one of the most original, solid team based shooters on the PC. Team work is REQUIRED to complete objectives and teams that dont cooperate really stand out from the crowd. If I had to complain about something it would be that there are slight imbalances between strogg and GDF classes, but this is realistic as both sides are asymmetrical in how they play, which makes for an awesomely fresh experience and brings diversity and replayability to the experience. Servers are still going but arnt set ablaze anymore, I highly recommend picking up a copy if you enjoy squad based games such as the Battlefield series, only set within the Quake Universe with a dash of humor. Full marks Expand
  51. harrisonschaerr
    Oct 1, 2007
    massive disappointment.

halo 3 and TF2 on pc, and even the good old cs:source are better...

the net code is awful, and the physics primitive.

it literally feels like playing a 5 year old game... do not buy. try the demo, you'll see what i'm talking about.

I was so excited, what a waste.
  52. RichardL.
    Oct 6, 2007
    Wow - what a piece of crap! I was so looking forward to this - but boy what a disappointment. I can't believe this was released by ID. It STINKS. The netcode is terrible, the gameplay is so frantic it's not even fun - nothing like the battlefield series or any other MP game. Boy is it bad. The graphics make for good screen shots, but in the game they look really funny - Wow - what a piece of crap! I was so looking forward to this - but boy what a disappointment. I can't believe this was released by ID. It STINKS. The netcode is terrible, the gameplay is so frantic it's not even fun - nothing like the battlefield series or any other MP game. Boy is it bad. The graphics make for good screen shots, but in the game they look really funny - it's like there's no depth perspective in the game - everything is flat or something. Whatever, this game sucks - I'm hope TF2 is awesome.... Nice job ID - way to disappoint. Expand
  53. JoseL.
    Oct 6, 2007
    This game is not a Quake war , Q2 was a Quake war but not this, it is just a revamped WET. What deception for the solo campaign, i prefer Quake4 solo campaign ... Finaly 54 $ for this , i think i am crazy End transmition.
  54. BerryM.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Even with higher end gaming systems it really hasn't made up for the lacking physics and graphical downfalls. As said before its not smooth running engine and is a recap of any other veichle/infantry game but on its worst day. Battlefield had same issues in the begining as well and fixed it with patches but they were its first of its time to do this.And they finally got it right.
  55. GemetzelNONONO
    Nov 7, 2007
    Doesn't bring anything new to the genre. Battlefield 2142 does this way better. The objective based gameplay is overhyped and uninspired. Strogg and humans need to be far more different and weapons need to be balanced. Gets old fast.
  56. JohnR.
    Oct 7, 2007
    I'm not sure what game some of the user reviewers here are playing either. The game is the pure definition of tactical, but some people can't get over the fact that there's a game that DOESN'T have vehicles that dominate every infantry in every situation, or a game that's deeper than running at 2MPH and capping flags in a desert. Sure, ET:QW ain't perfect, I'm not sure what game some of the user reviewers here are playing either. The game is the pure definition of tactical, but some people can't get over the fact that there's a game that DOESN'T have vehicles that dominate every infantry in every situation, or a game that's deeper than running at 2MPH and capping flags in a desert. Sure, ET:QW ain't perfect, but it's a game that rewards more than who dolphin dives the fastest. Pre-ordered the game since last March, and haven't regretted a second. Expand
  57. JasonLong
    Sep 13, 2007
    This review is based on the demo.
    This game feels sooo unfinished that all my anticipation and excitement about getting it were gone after 5 minutes of actual play.
    The sound effects, controls, graphics all have that unfinished aspect to them. The art style is ugly as sin. I thought Quake 4 looked pretty cool, but this is just visually boring. I have to mention I love BF2142 and BF2 and
    This review is based on the demo.
    I have to mention I love BF2142 and BF2 and playing this game just makes me want to play battlefield.
    I think these guys made a huge mistake releasing this demo. It just proves to everyone how substandard the game is.
    Yeah, this is a demo of the finished game, but it looks, plays and sounds like a really bad beta test.
  58. MichielG
    Jan 4, 2008
    the good:
    strogg thema
    good option manu system(everything is easely changeble) limbo menu opjectives (instead of BF flag system) The bad: Graphics change from good, to utter crap. no VoIP bad sounds (from guns to chat-voices) opjective's are quickly repetative (in multiple maps, its precisely the same transmitter you have to blow up) vehicle's are unballanced (1
    the good:
    strogg thema
    good option manu system(everything is easely changeble)
    limbo menu
    opjectives (instead of BF flag system)

The bad:
    Graphics change from good, to utter crap.
    no VoIP
    bad sounds (from guns to chat-voices)
    vehicle's are unballanced (1 rocket can kill all but the tanks)
  59. Warmonger
    Oct 11, 2007
    Pure crap!! if your idea of fun is a game constantly crashing when you try to go on line and fighting other players who probably spend 247 on this game.... good luck and by all means!!
  60. Nov 9, 2010
    With the same difficulty settings, sometimes you won the same battle if you're sitting there only drinking coffee, but sometimes you lost the battle if you've given it all you have got. You almost can't kill anything with the default gun view, using the machinegun and iron sight view are more effective. But it takes a lot of experience as to use which gun and which aim-view are better,With the same difficulty settings, sometimes you won the same battle if you're sitting there only drinking coffee, but sometimes you lost the battle if you've given it all you have got. You almost can't kill anything with the default gun view, using the machinegun and iron sight view are more effective. But it takes a lot of experience as to use which gun and which aim-view are better, especially by how far the distance the bots are away from you. At some spots in a map it seem impossible to get a bot killed, especially when they're falling from a higher place to the ground or when they're jumping at a specific spot in a map, it's like game bugs, it's very hard to make a kill at a particular spot of the map, even when you're very ready with your aiming/gun. Sometimes it's like online with 300 pin, you need to aim ahead 2 to 4 steps of the running bot so the bullets could hit the target just 6 meters away using the non-iron-sight view. Sometimes the shots are seem as blanks when the target is jumping at the same direction of the shots fired. Rocket launchers does not work too well, it's not effective to fire a shot sometimes when your player is moving sideway (strafe) and pressing the fire key. Sniper scope view is funny, as a wall's vertical line are bended at the axis of the crosshair. The good thing is the flying aircrafts, you don't need a joystick to fly them, but to some others, they might prefers a better simulated flight control with a joystick. The hover-chopperâ Expand
  61. JBob
    Mar 30, 2010
    I wanted to like this game. I'm a long-time id/Quake fan, going back to even before Wolf3d, but I could not get into this game. I tried. It just isn't fun to me in many ways. The sound are awful. They sound like an early 90's freeware game and come across as very childish. Also I don't like how the game 'feels' while playing. It's very uncomfortable and I wanted to like this game. I'm a long-time id/Quake fan, going back to even before Wolf3d, but I could not get into this game. I tried. It just isn't fun to me in many ways. The sound are awful. They sound like an early 90's freeware game and come across as very childish. Also I don't like how the game 'feels' while playing. It's very uncomfortable and performance is bad. I don't like the focused objectives in multiplayer gameplay. It all feels very canned an controlled and not spontaneous. I bought it for full price when it came out and excitedly installed it and was very quickly disappointed. I think the Battlefield games are much better in many ways like sound, graphics, controls feel, performance, more sandbox-like, etc etc. There are a bunch of retail copies of this game at a local retailer for $5 and they've been sitting there for over six months at that price and not selling. Don't pay more than $10 for it. It just isn't worth it. Get Battlefield 2 and install Project Reality if you want hardcore objectives-based FPS online game. Alternatively, go with BF: Bad Company 2 for a more accessible arcade FPS online game. Expand
  62. JohnB.
    Oct 3, 2007
    This game brings to the table a nice in game browser and intresting, tidy gameplay, unfortunatly the game is lacking many other main areas. Sound is average, but does its job. Graphics are below average. Performance is bad considering what you get in return. I've never been such a fan of ET gameplay, luckily ETQW is a little better due to additions, but the movement feels bad, very This game brings to the table a nice in game browser and intresting, tidy gameplay, unfortunatly the game is lacking many other main areas. Sound is average, but does its job. Graphics are below average. Performance is bad considering what you get in return. I've never been such a fan of ET gameplay, luckily ETQW is a little better due to additions, but the movement feels bad, very unnatural and lacking fluidity compared to original ET and Quake. Animations aren't smooth, everything just feels jerky or lacking, despite running at perfect framerate. ID softwares engine is really showing its age, it barely copes with outdoor enviroments and is best left in the shadows of Doom3, where you can't notice how bad the graphics really are. It hurts to watch ID Software fall from making good engines and good games to poor engines and poor games. The games they make now are getting further and further away from their fanbase liking and at the same time getting worse and worse, a coincidence? I think not. A week after lanuch the game has less players than Quake 3 and four times less than the original ET. Considering this is a multiplayer only game, I'd say this game is a blowout. Expand
  63. GusS.
    Jan 7, 2008
    Fun and frustrating all at once. Flight controls need work. Humans can't take a hit for anything and their weapons suck. Good objective stacking. Even moderate difficulty computer AI never misses, but yet never deviates from their plan of attack. Fun when playing PVP because of the human element.
  64. NealK.
    Feb 15, 2008
    Graphics are great. You don't need a super computer to get decent framerates with high detail. The maps are really well laid out and offer a variety of terrain and senery. Goals based play is fun and gives more depth than the standard, deathmatch, team deathmatch, and CTF. My only complaint is that you lose your unlockables after the "campain" is over so you end up starting all over Graphics are great. You don't need a super computer to get decent framerates with high detail. The maps are really well laid out and offer a variety of terrain and senery. Goals based play is fun and gives more depth than the standard, deathmatch, team deathmatch, and CTF. My only complaint is that you lose your unlockables after the "campain" is over so you end up starting all over again with the unlocables in the next series of matches. Huge negative imo. Sone people have compared this to BF 2142, but think it's better than BF because getting the unlocks in BF takes forever to get unless you are a stat padding noob and set up matches strickly to headsot one another to get the unlockables in a decent time frame (many gamers can't devot 6 hours a day to gaming to gain that tatical edge). I'd give this game a ten if you could keep your unlockables. Expand
  65. NickN.
    Oct 25, 2007
    This game was a huge disappointment to me .After playing the demo i pumped for the full game thought the demo was brilliant . i then purchased the full game payed all the maps and allot of rounds later came to the conclusion that the game was totally unbalanced (strogg own everything).killing things can be a forever battle of bunny hopping .and the spawn killing and the rate of exploions This game was a huge disappointment to me .After playing the demo i pumped for the full game thought the demo was brilliant . i then purchased the full game payed all the maps and allot of rounds later came to the conclusion that the game was totally unbalanced (strogg own everything).killing things can be a forever battle of bunny hopping .and the spawn killing and the rate of exploions that just never end are very mind shorting .due to these two main factors this game just generly gets me annoyed pretty fast , only play it wen in a very good mood .unlike the old ER were u could always have a laugh playing it .PS there should be atleast one accurate gun in the game like in old ET with the m1 and kar. Expand
  66. N.K.
    Dec 9, 2007
    A good game overall--Glad I got it for free with my video card though. The main problem (and it's a big one) is that NOBODY plays this game online. The servers are almost always empty or half-filled with bots--maybe 4 times out of the last two weeks I was able to find a server populated with 24 actual humans--when this was the case, the maps were excellent, the action was fast, and A good game overall--Glad I got it for free with my video card though. The main problem (and it's a big one) is that NOBODY plays this game online. The servers are almost always empty or half-filled with bots--maybe 4 times out of the last two weeks I was able to find a server populated with 24 actual humans--when this was the case, the maps were excellent, the action was fast, and gameplay balanced. But for the other 20 times I got on to only find a handful of people on the servers, I have to bump the score down. I REALLY want to play this game, but I can't, because nobody else is. Expand
  67. BrianS.
    Sep 29, 2007
    ETQW delivers a fairly average online team place experience that really doesn't deviate too awful much from its predecessor Wolfenstein:ET except in the area of engine tech and story line. The addition of multiple vehicles to the game seems interesting enough but ETQW's maps lack the truely gigantic scale needed to make the vehicles strategically important. Add in the fact that ETQW delivers a fairly average online team place experience that really doesn't deviate too awful much from its predecessor Wolfenstein:ET except in the area of engine tech and story line. The addition of multiple vehicles to the game seems interesting enough but ETQW's maps lack the truely gigantic scale needed to make the vehicles strategically important. Add in the fact that ETQW is based in the dissapointingly bad Quake 4 story/franchise, and you have a team play game that not many people have a point of reference for on the story. There are, of course, some interesting areas in the level design but again for a modern engine theres nothing truely outstanding even there. Which given the overall power of the Id engine, is rather depressing. The engine tech is, of course, outstanding and on modern hardware the game runs like a champ, but in retrospect the game dynamics are a bit frantic and hard to pick up, even for people familiar with the ET concept, the weapons are immensely bad, all of them being incredibly difficult to aim, this may change over time and more cone of fire stability may be awarded as you advance but regardless it makes the game frustrating to play for experienced FPS players. To stay on the subject of weapons there appears to be a marked delay in the use of heavier damage weapons, the rocket launcher itself has a slight delay on fire in dumbfire mode and its homing rocket takes even longer for a lock (this reduces in time with experience rewards), the sniper rifle appears to fire a few milliseconds after you pull the trigger and is all but useless for anything but long range sniping, the downside to that is, the game is so frenetic that theres absolutely no real point to long range sniping because you can never really get into a good position for it and do your job as a CV class. Classes though, appear to be about as effective as the classes were in Wolfenstein:ET, without alot of major changes to the dynamics of the class base, but are also hard to distinguish from each other except in the areas of major class role. And last but not least the game lacks the true FPS feel of a Id engine game. The movement physics are less than spectacular and lack the fluid feel of the Wolf:ET build which made the game so fast paced and fun to play, ETQW is fast paced, but only in a speed and confusion sense, the physics of the game itself are average. Add in the fact that if your taking damage you really can't tell from where (especially against bots...but the bot AI is a whole different dissapointment) and ETQW falls short of really being the next level of online MP shooter games. ETQW may appeal to some, but as a long time veteran of online FPS gaming (Since Quake 1 back in the mid 90s) it is my opinion that while ETQW makes a stunning effort to try to take the great ET concept into a modern engine, it truely falls short of its target and is only yet another team based shooter amongst many other offerings on the market (BF2, BF2142, Team Fortress 2) and doesn't really out shine any of them in any specific way. As a long time fan of Id Software, Raven Software and Splash Damage I'd say that while ETQW is a great effort, its just yet more evidence that the Id camp has fallen out of touch with the fan base and is no longer capable of truly producing ground breaking games. Which is sad, I keep waiting for Id to produce something to take back its title as the Grandaddy of them all, but so far, Valve stays in the lead for truely brilliant game design and dynamics. Expand
  68. JohnS
    Apr 9, 2008
    a good game, but i like a game where shooting someone point blank with a shot gun blasts them backward... and it doesn't in this game.
  69. BobH.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Great graphics, nice maps. Strogg weapons look too much alike. the strogg voices suck too. playing strogg is no fun at all. would have been better as axis vs. allies or east vs west. Call of Duty 4 looks like it will be a lot better. or Unreal Tournament 3 if you like aliens.
  70. Role
    Oct 22, 2007
    After all the hype and build up of class based tactical combat, ETQW is finally here. Sadly it fails to deliver on so many of the promises that were made. There are two huge failings that really ruin the gameplay imho. One is that once both teams have deployed radar, there is no tactical challenge, no sniping or ambushes as there is no point - the enemy know where you are already. The After all the hype and build up of class based tactical combat, ETQW is finally here. Sadly it fails to deliver on so many of the promises that were made. There are two huge failings that really ruin the gameplay imho. One is that once both teams have deployed radar, there is no tactical challenge, no sniping or ambushes as there is no point - the enemy know where you are already. The second is that the spread of fire on the weapons is virtually nil, and unlike the awesome BF2, you can fire with virtually the same accuracy whilst bunnyhopping and dolphin diving. I have already bunnyhopped 3 proned scopers into oblivion due to this major failing. I think many people have also been put off by the massive learning curve involved in many of the objectives as so much is trial and error. With the frantic instant death style gameplay making it harder to figure out what it is you are supposed to be attacking/defending. On the plus side the graphics are great and you do not need a mammoth rig to run it at a decent framerate, and the objective style gameplay often means that on the first objective you are fighting outside in the open, for the second you may have to fight in dark corridors and abandoned mines so giving added variety. I really hope ID patch this game and balance out the weapons, because there is a belter of a concept here, badly let down by a game that is trying too hard to be both BF2 and counterstrikeat the same time, whilst forgetting its own ET roots. Expand
  71. Nov 20, 2013
    ETQW got really great maps, no un-lockable pay to win crap and some of the best teamwork action i ever played. Another great thing is that both humans and Strogs are quite different and still pretty balanced. Every class is good and fun to play esp. engineer is nice. The only downside is a bit small number of maps.

1. A brilliant and immersive game...On the one hand you've got the sheer technical prowess and experience of id, and on the other you've got Splash Damage's intrinsic understanding of what makes a good online shooter. Together, you've got a game that could set a new benchmark for the genre. [Nov 2007, p.62]
  2. ETQW delivers plenty of fast-paced action, and nothing beats the feeling of finally breaking through firmly entrenched defenses. It's not the absolute best multiplayer game, but it's definitely worth playing.
  3. No other combat game has maps this lavish, or ambitiously designed. [Nov 2007, p.88]