8.1

1. Stephy
    Aug 1, 2001
    It is a very cool game, but if I didn't use a walk-through I wouldn't be able to figure out a darn thing.
  2. ChristineW.
    Aug 21, 2001
    It is really awesome, funny, and challenging!
  3. DougF.
    Feb 4, 2002
    It's simply the best!!!
  4. EricF.
    Apr 20, 2002
    Great game, great story line, but some of the puzzles are just that bit too frustrating. Luckily, everything else makes up for this.
  5. LookBehindYou!AThreeHeadedMulroneycakes!
    Apr 5, 2003
    "Spank!" (what the hell?) says there are "shoulder-saggingly illogical puzzles" and it's a "bitter disappointment". Oh yeah? Well, you fight like a cow. No, really. Most of the puzzles are actually perfectly logical (except all that stuff with the protheses - except for one single part, there is no use whatsoever for any of it). It's also aesthetically pleasing - that is, it "Spank!" (what the hell?) says there are "shoulder-saggingly illogical puzzles" and it's a "bitter disappointment". Oh yeah? Well, you fight like a cow. No, really. Most of the puzzles are actually perfectly logical (except all that stuff with the protheses - except for one single part, there is no use whatsoever for any of it). It's also aesthetically pleasing - that is, it looks and sounds gorgeous. The voice acting is superb - if they ever make a Monkey Island(TM) film, Guybrush has to be done by Dominic Armato. There is no other way. NO OTHER WAY. He's even better here than in the last one. It's all a massive improvement over the other recent Monkey game, The Curse of Monkey Island(TM) - though it was a good, fun, HARD adventure game, the one Really Big Problem with it was that it wasn't especially funny and it didn't feel like Monkey Island(TM). This one is, and does. Call it the "Elaine Factor" - the Governor was TOTALLY wrong in Curse (since when was she a red-headed and disturbingly weak Englishwoman?), but here she looks and sounds Creole and acts like the Elaine of old. And the same applies to everything else un-Monkeylike in Curse. Nice to see Murray, the most EEEVIL skull in the Caribbean, back as well. The only real problems with ESCAPE FROM MONKEY ISLAND(TM) are an over-reliance on the other games (well, the first two), which is a bit of a p*sser for the uninitiated, and a horrible dropoff in quality in the final third. It's actually one of Roger Ebert's pet hates - an intelligent satire for 66.6 recurring % of the game, then it gives way to dumb action, which is quite disappointing. (Remember how the other three games end? With LeChuck blasting Guybrush from area to area while you try to piece together something to stop him? Not here, mate). But, by and large, ESCAPE FROM MONKEY ISLAND(TM) is a Bloody Good Game. In fact, it's the third funniest Monkey Island(TM) game I've ever seen. Shame that they've chosen to leave out the Men of Low Moral Fibre (Pirates) for the second game running. Maybe for Monkey 5 - Conquest Of Monkey Island(TM) perhaps. Expand
  6. CindyF.
    May 20, 2003
    Fab' love the monkey Kombat stuff! It's hard and very challenging. However, I found The Curse of Monkey Island split my side with more quirky joke and comments.
  7. ReevanF.
    Aug 11, 2003
    Great game. Never played a better one before.
  8. MitrengaG.
    Mar 29, 2004
    It is excellent! It has everything in it : Fun (lots of it) , adventure , fighting and what i like the most , mindless chatting and mindless actions. Hahaha excellent game.
  9. JimbowJambow
    Oct 23, 2001
    I'm lovin it lovin it lovin it. I'm lovin it like this.
  10. MaureenD.
    Jan 3, 2003
    I think Escape from monkey Island is a cool game..but if I never had the walk through I would't even be able to do a thing! :) Its hard..but it makes oyu use your brain..and think. Its very fun.
  11. ReevanF.
    Aug 11, 2003
    Great game. Never played a better one before.
  12. MatthewJ.
    Mar 24, 2004
    This game is a great adventure which really gets you involved. A good one even if you are not a fan of the adventure games!
  13. Alex
    Feb 20, 2005
    Now, i'm not going to say this is the best game in the series. its far from it. but its still pretty kick ass. setting aside the wierd interface and controls, this is one very solid, very funny adventure game. you can't play the first 3 Monkey Island games and not play this one. its like eating a 4 course meal and... um... leaving out the 4th course.
  14. Tiberiu
    Nov 6, 2001
    Equally as good as Grim Fandango.
  15. JohnD.
    Jul 22, 2001
    It rocks.
  16. ThomasL.
    Aug 17, 2002
    As always with the Monkey Island series, it is great!!!! This is the kind of game i like, there aren't many of this kind of games. The puzzels where great and not to difficult. Only one puzzle i just couldn't solve, and unfortunatley had to use the walktrough. It was the puzzle where you need to throw the rocks into the canals. That was a little far fetched.
  17. RazvyT.
    Nov 23, 2006
    The game's very, very good but I can't give it a 10 because I think ... eh ... I know that Monkey 3 was better. This is a amazing game with a great storyline, a great gameplay, what the heck ... everything's great. A excellent game!

1. The humor is droll but affecting, and the game play so well laid out that this program has to be considered a worthy sequel to its predecessor.
  2. Players who're new to the Monkey Island series may get the sense while playing the game that they're watching a bunch of old friends regale each other with old in-jokes; it's easy to feel as if you're being left out of the fun if you don't catch the references.
  3. EMI is not a bad game but it will never join its brethren in the panoply of gods of the genre. I for one would like to see LucasArts get out of the sequel to sequel to sequel business altogether and focus solely on new ideas.